Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. We were on Break with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It is Tuesday, September twenty fourth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number thirty six. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're alive from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star and today we get you guys ready for Cowboys Versus Giants. It's a quick turnaround. And actually, I don't know if you guys know this. This is something's going to happen this week. It's the first time in the history of the Cowboys. The Cowboys have never ever, in their entire history, played a Thursday night road game coming off a Sunday game the week prior. Ever, interesting, which is something that every most teams at this point are doing now that they have Thursday games. The Cowboys obviously play Thursday every year. They never they never never have had to travel. The only time this has happened is in twenty twenty two when they played a Saturday night game the week before, so they had five days rest instead of four. But they have never in their history had four days rest and played a road Thursday night game. So we will get to see high score. Yeah, and that's all.
Speaker 4: Give me the giants, you know.
Speaker 2: That's also an interesting thing, like.
Speaker 3: With all they give giants with all the.
Speaker 2: Issues that they've had, like you kind of want to turn the page, but at the same time, are your body is ready to turn the page with a four day And that's the part you don't really know, like that travel. I mean, we all will be on the well, several of us will be on the plane tomorrow, and it feels weird literally on a Wednesday, to get on a plane heading to another game. But there are other teams have to deal with that Cowboys have never had.
Speaker 7: Interestingly, Interestingly enough, I recently listened to a podcast and I hate that I don't remember the name, but this lady she does a bunch of studies on big time athletes. No, but she does a bunch of studies on big time athletes. Most of them are in the NBA. These are all names, you know, but it's around.
Speaker 8: Sleep and how crucial sleep is. This is a no brainer.
Speaker 7: We always hear this, but it specifically talks about how many times a team tends to lose when they travel to a different time zone, and not even even if you try to sleep how you should. I mean, there's all kinds of different elements that contribute to that.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 7: It was just a very interesting thing that you don't really think about it that way, but there are studies that shows that typically you underperform when you travel somewhere else did a.
Speaker 4: Different time didn't you guys travel to Baltimore for a Wednesday game one time and during COVID the last time the last time Dallas came up a huge But that was.
Speaker 2: That was the game with I think they were supposed to play on Monday, and it was some Nick was telling me about this in the Ravens got COVID. Well, yeah, it was I think Lamar Jackson or somebody.
Speaker 4: Remember, Yes, it was like the pregame Des was going to play against and then he got tested by Yeah, yeah that year.
Speaker 2: Did you guys make the trips during COVID? I didn't travel. I think only Nick was the only person to travel during COVID. That was yeah, okay, because they were basically like, you got you got one seat. Who would you like to send? Andy were like, we need a writer, we need a writer. Nick, you want to go, So yeah, that's that's kind of yeah.
Speaker 4: That was the last time that Dallas was really awful on the road. The most yards had given up was Baltimore in twenty twenty, and I remember the season that was like a win. I thought it was a Wednesday night game that the Raven It definitely was off.
Speaker 2: I couldn't remember it was a Tuesday or Wednesday, but it definitely wasn't the normal schedule they had. They had moved some things around because of what was happening with COVID. It was just we know that was a weird year.
Speaker 4: But but all going to do a deep blue on COVID thing. By the way, the COVID season.
Speaker 2: You know what we thought about that, here's the problem, got no footage.
Speaker 4: Let's reenact stuff.
Speaker 2: We could do that now.
Speaker 4: Let's have like Amber has taket swabs and jam them up.
Speaker 3: Stadium on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Amber has has won Emmy Awards re enacting things for documentaries, so we could probably figure that out, saying but I'm just saying like we have no footage. We talked about it like we got no footage today.
Speaker 4: Nobody ever, you know what, who's going to tell that history? I know, I wonder who's range because I always thought there was going to be a thirty for thirty about me too. Like, okay, the Lakers bubble team that won, you know that, the fact that and then the Dallas Stars even they had to go. They played in the Stanley Cup Final, playing in the bubble Edmonton.
Speaker 9: So the same people that produced the Last Dance sent a film crew and had people on site for the NBA Bubble from start to finish.
Speaker 3: So okay, so there you go, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, but here's the deal. You got to remember that was only four years ago. Bro oh, I know, like all those documentaries are coming in the next five to ten years when they look back and want to do kind of a deep dive on it, you know, when when most of us aren't still scarred by by what we went through in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: It was amazing just what you had to do to come in this building. It was crazy how you guys were working and stuff like that, and I know we were on the road. I'm sorry, I know we're going to talk about the Giants here. We were on the road in Arizona. And baseball. We were at the Texas Rangers, you know, at spring training, and literally like sports we were watching. I was cooking red beans and rice for everybody. You know, we had made apartments and stuff, and I was cooking dinner. And then we were watching the MAVs game and it just ended that night. And then the next morning we go and the Brewers were playing the Royals. They're exchanging lineup cards. Major League Baseball comes in the film, this is over and the next thing you know, we're broadcasting from empty stadium for four straight days and like no baseball, no, not even knowing what was about to happen, you know. And then and then I just moved on from from you at Dallas Comedies dot com. And I was thinking, I wonder if I get my old gig back.
Speaker 2: We were, you know, we were in Pittsburgh. I was in Pittsburgh for a meeting and it was a meeting with a bunch of other teams around the NFL. We're meeting with the app developer, and literally we went to a meeting that morning and then we started hearing all this news and I called back to Heidi, our HR person. I'm like, should we come home? And she's like, uh, you probably can finish up your meeting, but after you finish your meeting, try to go ahead and get back. And literally, the airport was I've never seen it. We flew airport was empty and we're trying to get back home and it was just it was the eeriest thing ever we did.
Speaker 4: We flew home from we were at Phoenix and we flew home and we were on an American Airlines flight that was completely empty, and it was it was there was I think there were seven of us on this week old plane trying to you know, get home and all that. But it was a scary time for a little bit.
Speaker 2: We'll be telling our grandkids and kids.
Speaker 9: I'll say, I have a different perspective telling my kids here thirty years Hopefully.
Speaker 2: My kids lived it, So I'll be telling my grandkids at some point what happened. But let's jump in. We got we got a long time from now, right. Let's talk about injuries first. There there are a couple guys on the injury report, Marquise Bell, uh did not practice with an angle injury. The one that I thought was more important and more interesting was Kaylen Carson, his shoulder injury. Had practice. What do we know about it?
Speaker 3: You got you got to go ahead, go.
Speaker 4: Ah, I have it as a bruise, so maybe you have availability.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So they'll know more today as far as the practice and how much they were able to participate. But I was talking about Kaylen Carson and Marquise Bell, who's dealing with an ankle injury. Both of those guys will know a little bit more today. Bell left the game against the Ravens with that ankle injury, and Carson it was something that he was nursing after the game. Then yesterday he had ice pack on his shoulder during a locker room availability. But sounds like we'll know more to that effect today. But man, if you do not have Kaylan Carson in a game that you're going up against an emerging rookie wide receiver from LSU. I saw someone tweet out yesterday they said an LSU wide receiver is like picking a Kentucky guard in the NBA.
Speaker 3: It's like they're just continuously.
Speaker 2: You know they're gonna be good.
Speaker 3: You know they're gonna be good, and we'll.
Speaker 4: Be in that Texas Bowl at exactly and every just catch out, yeah, catch us in San Antonio.
Speaker 3: Check out the twenty twenty six first round pick.
Speaker 9: But yeah, but draft day is gonna be fun, right draft days.
Speaker 3: But if Kayln Carson cannot go, then you're probably.
Speaker 2: That was crazy last night. You watched it. We got too highlights in the NFL right now and on them won a championship. Though you got it, you gotta.
Speaker 4: Get That's why we will never will never get another one, because we sold our soul to get that one in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 9: Not to get too far off topic, but that throw that Jane Daniels may in the final couple of minutes last night.
Speaker 2: I was already making notes for the week we play the Commanders, like, oh gosh, this is not gonna be This.
Speaker 3: Is gonna be one of these games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be one of those games that was not. Quinn's gone there and actually made that team into a much He's remade who they who they were, who we thought they were. Now. I don't know how good they'll be all season, but they're a different team than they.
Speaker 4: Don't they haven't punted in two games. Yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 9: It is wild to see Noah playing every single snap.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'll we're ready for that part. I don't know about all the rest of it, but Monogany, Yeah, well, we'll deal with that. We'll deal with that, all right. So let's talk a little bit. I know we had kind of got into this conversation yesterday on accountability. There were a number of players that have made statements since the game yesterday. I'm gonna read a few of them and i want to get your opinions on what you think of this and what you think it may mean. De Las said, we got guys that can do it. It's just about effing doing it and and obviously dealan talking about from the standpoint of being accountable. Dak Press Scott says, us as players, we've got to be more professional and understand our jobs, understand what we're supposed to be and do that time and time again, and keep our focus. Michael says, we need guys to play together and right now we're just not in unison. We do what we're supposed to do and we win. The game. What do you guys make of these assessments? And I know you asked coach McCarthy about this yesterday, there's some He responded in a way that that probably was a little off, but I thought it was a fair question. But but I thought that I thought it was a fair question because I think all the players that are talking about it and saying not just all but your top line players are saying there's a certain level of professionalism. That's the name, that's the word that that dat through out there, and they're saying that there's a problem with how guys are preparing and playing. What do you guys think?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think when everybody is speaking up to that effect, I think it's you know, these certain leaders, these certain team leaders trying to call out certain guys on the team that are not taking meeting seriously or not taking practices seriously. It was mentioned multiple times after the game on Sunday that last Thursday's practice was not good. And when you factor that in with the Ceedee Lamb not practicing on Wednesday, Trayvon Diggs not practicing on Wednesday, Thursday was really their only opportunity to get a full practice in and it not be a walkthrough setting. And if they can't, if they can't come together and make that a strong practice, and it's not going to work out whenever preparation needs to become application on Sundays. So you know, how does that get corrected this week in a short week. That was my question yesterday, is like, hey, yeah, you have all these problems that your team leaders are talking about, Jordan Lewis mentioning details of Michael Parsons mentioning accountability, dack with professionalism. How do you take that and you know, work on that and only three days time and also still prepare for the Giants. I didn't get the answer to my question, but you know, maybe we will get that as time goes on.
Speaker 4: You know when I first as we were doing the postgame show in the Miller Light Club, I Win Karthy said it first, and you're like thinking, Okay, that that's that's you know, that's not coach speak, that's you know, coach kind of you know, making his thoughts known. And then you started hearing the players talk about it. Then you knew there was a problem. That was the all the things that were said after that game by everybody involved. Anything to do with practice or preparation always gets my attention because it you know, people people always oh, you know that famous Allen Iverson. It's it's just it's practice. Well, practice is important in the NFL, you know how you line up, especially, you know when you play against a team that stresses you the way the Ravens does. We saw that firsthand. You know, you don't have to if you're a football fan and you just watch games. You know what Lamar Jackson can do as a ball handler. You know how he puts pressure on you. You know, we've all seen you know, Henry run the football. You know we've seen this. We've seen the Ravens play. That's a very good football team. They were in the ABC Champion Chip Game last year. If you're not prepping well, being ready, doing everything you can to get ready for these games, they're going to embarrass you.
Speaker 10: And they did.
Speaker 4: They embarrassed you and then they let you back in the game. But that's their history. We've talked about that. But you you got embarrassed because you know, you looked like you weren't ready to play, and I mean not ready to play is you know assignments and think it took you know, it took them three quarters to get the offense going. You know, the defense was kind of you know, times was really really bad and other times it was Okay. They're capable. This is a very capable team. But if you're head coach and your in, your in, your leaders of your team are talking about it, you got you got a lot of problems. You got a lot of problems, and like I say, I don't know if you correct those in four or five days. You know, that's something they have to look at right now. Pretty strong, and I'm sure the general managers looking at it, and he's had a discussion with the head coach about it. You know, what, what what are we What are we talking about here? We're not prepping? Well, what's the deal? What all players talking about? Because he's getting asked about it, you know, he's getting asked about in our station fan about things like that. So it's tough. If you're not prepping, you're not gonna win many games. And they're an example of that right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a that's a tough one because like you said, I mean, it all comes down to preparation and what happens during the week and these players coming out and saying all these comments. I mean, you start thinking, Okay, then what the heck is going on during practice is what are we doing here? And to me, it goes back to leadership, It goes back to the coaching. And granted, this is just my assumption, that's what I can conclude or to conclusion, because I'm not there in those practices. But if I may, Nick, if I may as sorry, but okay, I'm just gonna spit it out there what I said. It's not that bad. It's not that bad. I'm just coming into defense. But how are you gonna ask somebody if you practice a question when you yourself are being in question about practicing and the way you practice on the field. And I'm I'm yeah, I said it. Whatever, But it's the truth, is the fact that it's been out there. The last thing you want is your own players speaking about preparation, the lack of preparation, speaking about the way you guys are training. Yeah, they're not calling people by name or anything, but that's what it leads back to the top. Who's the head of it? And again I've been I've given Mike McCarthy a lot of praise during his career here with the Cowboys because I value the way he's trained these players overall during his Like we talk about mental health, we talk about giving them the rest that they need keeping or trying to keep them as healthy as they can be, And I value that a lot. And I got to give him credit for those things that he's done here, but right now in a year that is so crucial for so many people's career, your own personal liveli So it's it's just it's crazy because you can, you can criticize us for maybe not executing certain things, but but lack of preparation should not be one.
Speaker 3: Lack of.
Speaker 7: Being motivated and going out there and putting up a fight should not be one.
Speaker 8: Uh So it's just it's wild.
Speaker 7: It's wild because how do you fix that, Like you said, in such a short amount of time heading into this week.
Speaker 2: Four, I will say this, and I think it was Dak. Correct me if I'm wrong. One of you may have heard the quote. I think it was Dak that as he was kind of elaborating on what he was saying, one of the things he pointed out was watching film and it's that kind of preparation. So I want to be careful that this doesn't turn into a the coaches didn't prepare them as much as what it sounds like for me, what I'm hear from the players is the players aren't doing the extra well their shooting, they aren't doing they aren't doing the little things that are the difference between winning and losing, whether that be going and spending that extra time in the film room, doing those extra things on the practice feel that have you ready being focused when you go to practice, so that practice is crisp and clean, and you're doing the things you need to do, knowing where you're supposed to be, where you're supposed to line up, how you're supposed to perform. That to me is not about coaching as much as it is about professionals being professional, which is how Dack put it. It's about being a professional. So I look at this and I'm like, there's a lot of guys in that locker room. It sounds like need to pick up a mirror and look at it and say, okay, am I doing what I need to do and be a professional.
Speaker 7: Just to be clear, I one hundred percent agree with everything you're saying, because I mean, I can't like it has to be up to you some of the things that you do outside of while we're doing.
Speaker 2: Here your boss now you know.
Speaker 7: But yeah, no, But my point is also there's truth to you being a parent, having that of like, okay, what you know, I mean, where's the belt?
Speaker 8: Where's there? I'm just kidding. I'm totally kidding. I'm against that.
Speaker 3: No, no, not.
Speaker 7: Once, just kisses for my baby. But no, My point is you do need someone to kind of training you up and put you back in place where you need to be. So I think both things can be true at once. But I totally agree it is up to you what you do in your own time where you're supposed to do your own kind of preparation and work for yourself.
Speaker 8: But it's just that's wild.
Speaker 9: Eventually the rubber is gonna have to meet the road, and whether that be guys applying themselves and them getting it corrected, or some major changes coming out after the bye week, whether that be trading personnel decisions.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there's a lot.
Speaker 9: I think everything's on the table, especially when you factor in how many guys are on expiring deals. There's no tie to a lot of these guys after this season that that gives the front office a lot more flexibility if they if they feel like that, they can make a couple of big moves and be a contender. But right now they are not, and they are not going to be until a few of these guys apply themselves.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, we're gonna take our first break. We'll come back. We're going to jump into the Giants versus Cowboys, Brian and give us a breakdown of first of the Giants offense versus Dallas defensil the back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 2: See add dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 5: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Than on an lg O led evil TV.
Speaker 5: That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 5: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 3: No one comes close.
Speaker 5: Lg O lead Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 4: Yep, you hurd that correctly.
Speaker 12: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the.
Speaker 3: Game day lineup that can't be beat better.
Speaker 9: Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 3: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 13: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, Bank of America NA Member After I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 7: Lgo led Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said the lgol lead G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com slash olat evo.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the second segment of The Break live from the SWBC Mortgage studios. At the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, Brian tell us about this New York Giant offense and how it matches up with Dallas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they finally went out and got some skilled guys. It took him to get another LSU guy, you know, that's what they do. It seems like, you know, we we go back that this team has a history of drafting the LSU receivers and they're working out for him. Eliite Neighbors is really where this thing is going to kind of start for them. I will say this though, I really do like what they've tried to do with their running game and try to help Daniel Jones, you know, with with with Singletary, the running back, Devin Singletary, and then they also drafted Tyrone Tracy are running back in the fifth round. That's kind of done some nice things for him as well. I like him, but they've got a couple of quality guys with Singletary. I mean, he's really good with you know, when they hand him the ball, it's kind of a straight ahead attack, and he's really quick. He's nifty. He's shifty in the way that he can break tackles. He's two and through the hole. You know, it could be a difficult guy to talk tackle when you get around him. He kind of bounces off guys and he's very successful at finishing runs and so you know, you have to be on point. This is a team that's going to give you some of that RPO stuff that It's going to be the fakes, that's going to be multiple tight ends, it's going to be movement with the offensive line. They have to do a lot of movement with their offensive line because they're trying to protect it because it's not as probably not their strength. I think there's a couple of different spots that you can attack this. Andrew Thomas is the left tackle for them, and I think he's sceptible to that inside moves the power stuff that you want to do. So that would be the left side, be the right edge there maybe with Micah, you can get some things going over there with him. I think that if you look, they've got a really athletic center. And John Michael Smit's who was the second round pick, you know, in twenty twenty three. They try and get him out in space. John Runyon, he's the son of the Runyon that played a while back. He's he's Paul Paul Paul running. Yeah. But the thing with Runyon is that they're a little bit of a slow footed group overall. But they try and they try and do things by moving them in order so they don't have to get you know, get a lot of one on one stuff. They try and just you know, angle block the penn and polls the things like that, so they don't have to to sit there and and go with you, just toe to toe. But I do feel like though that their number one pick, Andrew Thomas is the one guy and this he was from the twenty twenty draft. I kind of feel like he's the guy that you really need to go after because he struggles. When you watched him last week against Miles Garrett and stuff, I mean, it was it was a problem for him to have to deal with power, quickness, guy with some burst. That would be the area that I would look at. I'll mention about also I started with with Neighbors. They've also got Darius Slayton. I think one. Dell Robinson is the is the other one that I would worry about the most here. Jalen Hyatus was a third round pick from Tennessee a couple of years ago. He's a vertical player. So if you're going to take a shot, it's going to be with thirteen. If you're going to do something out of the backfield or underneath, it's going to be robertson number seventeen.
Speaker 2: He's the most targeted receiver there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then well and Malik and then I've talked about with elite Neighbors. I mean he is. He is really their offense. When it comes to throw in the football, He's going to get a ton of targets. He's going to make a ton of plays the body, control of the balance. He is a tough cover. They're going to move him around. They're not going to keep him in one spot. But when you have to have your attention on him, because that's where Daniel Jones is going to throw the ball. He's either going to throw the ball to Robertson or neighbors, or he's gonna hand it uh to Singletary, and and and then the way they go. So team will run some screens, they'll run some tosses, they'll run inside handoffs. That's kind of they're doing everything in their power to kind of help Daniel Jones. Now, the problem with Daniel Jones at quarterback is he still throws the ball just the spots and I don't think there's times where he sees where he's throwing the ball or knowing what's in the area when he throws the ball. So he got to be ready for him just to you know, if you if Mike Zimmer can somehow we talked about all summer, how you can disguise coverages. You know, you get the you get the giants to have to throw the football here, maybe you could do something to kind of disguise some things to kind of give Daniel Jones some muddy looks and you can maybe get a couple of cheap turnovers that way, just because he's not seeing you. But they have improved with the with the running back who they got from the Tech the Texans, and they have improved with Malik Neighbors as the wide receiver he is, He's going to be a guy probably at the end of the year that's going to be in the in the running for NFC Rookie of the years he was playing.
Speaker 2: So looking at Neighbors, knowing that he is probably the most dynamic offensive weapon, would you consider I know they don't do it often, but would you consider the possibility of Diggs traveling UH to stay with him because he is the most dynamic of the receiving threats that they have.
Speaker 9: I think, specifically with Carson being in the injury tent, I guess you could say this week. I think there's probably a more possibility there, especially given that Malik is going to give you that physical presence. He's going to give you, you know, a little bit more push off the line than some of these other guys like a Wandell Robinson, Darius Slayton, Jalen Hyatt. If you want your most physical guy on Neighbors at all times, and that's Trayvon.
Speaker 4: Diggs, Yeah, it would make a lot of sense to do that. But you wonder, I mean, I'm just trying to think of the times as Mike traveling guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and let's also remember on a short week, Yeah, you travel one guy, you travel every everybody's got Yeah right, Yeah, that may be tough to adjust to.
Speaker 4: That's the problem practice, that's the problem. I think BO teams are a little bit of a buying that way when when it comes to and that's why I think they make these Thursday night games divisional games. If you've noticed, it's always seems like it's two divisional teams because there's some familiarity with you trying to help these teams. He's going to be a tough cover in this thing. I mean, he really is going to be a tough cover. The key is going to be, though, if the Giants come out and they've got some they've got some RPO elements to their game, and they've got a quarterback that's not afraid to run, and they'll like last week we talked about designed quarterback runs, this guy's got some design quarterback runs. They get down in the red zone and all of a sudden, it's direct snap. They're pulling the tight end or an h and they're they're blocking down and they're leading up in the hole and he's just straight power running for the goal line. You know, so there's some much like what you saw with with Lamar Jackson. The design runs. Uh, they have some elements of this in their game plan. So, but they've they've upgraded their skill guys for sure at running back and then at wide receiver.
Speaker 9: I think that's probably why it'd be more important in this game to jump out to an early lead, just to be able to force the Giants to work from behind, because if we call back to training camp and the big thing that was standing out, the standing out about the Mike Zimber defense was his use of disguises and disguise, how much it was able to full opposing offense or how much it could full opposing offenses. First offense I thought about in the first quarterback I thought about was Daniel Jones, just because he has not been able to adjust well to post post snap differences based on what he was expecting pre snap, and I think if they can throw a little bit of disguise at him pre snap, then it can you can start to snowball a little bit if you're trying to play from behind. So I think from a Cowboys perspective, get out to an early lead, maybe receive if you win the win the toss again, maybe don't drop an f bomb as Romawamu this time, But nevertheless, I think getting out to an early lead could help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes me wonder too, like they really that first game in the Cleveland game is really the only game where Dallas forced the other team to have to throw the ball. Both the other two games they really could just run the ball, and they just kept running the ball and there was nothing Cowboys could really do about it. And so it does make me wonder if you can get that lead and force a team to have to pass, you actually do play into the Cowboys hands of their ability to then be able to force you to throw into disguises, and it allows Dallas to now go and get after the quarterback, which I think they do well. So it really is the offense really is the best if you want to fix this defense, I totally agree best way to fix it is the offense to get going early.
Speaker 4: This might this might be an unfair question to you, guys, because maybe you don't have a great answer for it, but I'll ask anyway, do you ever worry about this guy's first fifteen Who's who?
Speaker 3: Guy McCarthy's McCarthy's first fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: The fifteen plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, that's a fair question.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to I don't want to pile on a guy or anything like that, but I feel like, to me, yeah, the last yeah, the last, maybe I need to pile on this guy. The thing is man well said. But the thing I just kind of I wonder about the first fifteen. Do you go back and you check. You know, they went out last week with the intent like, yes, we want the ball, and then the first fifteen was to throw the ball immediately into the flat to reco'daddle or to run a spot route to Ferguson for the first play. And I might going, you're not calling the game right now.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: He had the penalties and the motions and all those things that was a problem. But I wonder about this guy's first fifteen the last two weeks, especially, you know, with the way things have kind of gotten off a little slow for him.
Speaker 9: You think about the elite are guys you would consider elite offensive play callers in the NFL. They always have an opening script that just has a little bit of razzle dazz alone. Yeah, it's got some intention, it's got some effort. I haven't really seen an intention from an opening script for Mike McCarthy, even though going back to last season too, I think there was some times last season where it was like, Okay, when is this offense going to pick it up? And then they finally do when they're able to find a stride. But when you don't have a running game and a Mike muck Arth the offense, a guy who wants four tight ends on the field, he wants a full back in your offense because he wants to run the ball. He's not gonna have an opening script that works out for him.
Speaker 2: Well, but you know that might be also what he's working with here is knowing that the running game may not be exactly what he wants. He may be thinking, are there ways for me to get some of these quick passes? Yeah, get guys out in the flats, force them the defense to have to think about the whole field, and then that may open up things as you go, may open up the running game even as things go, like he may be trying to set up what he needs to do later in the game knowing that my running game isn't gonna do that for me. A lot of teams can use a running game to set those things up. Dallas doesn't have that kind of running game.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what. Whatever he did at the end of the third and end of the fourth, if it was tempo, it.
Speaker 3: Was tempo, you know.
Speaker 4: And and I was watching the substitutions of the receivers during that three on three off, three on three off, three on three off, and you know, it's like they'd run deep. They'd all run routes three on three off in it.
Speaker 2: And they were just running.
Speaker 4: If that's if that's how you're gonna have to play to kind of get things to open up a little bit. And I sure consider it. You know, with the weather maybe cooling off a little bit, maybe you're not worried about your guys getting completely gassed. But they they had a really he he was in a little bit of a rhythm. They were in a good they were in a rhythm play calling until they fumble the ball. See he fumbles the ball. So he's got.
Speaker 7: To how do you get to to that state? How do you get yourself and the team to get started that way?
Speaker 4: Because I think, no, no, I think you just right off the jump. I think just right off the jump.
Speaker 7: Out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've seen Cowboys teams do that where they just go tempa early in the game just to kind of get it going.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there are teams that do that, no doubt, especially in the college game.
Speaker 4: If you watched Tennessee or people like that, you know, and not the Titans, the volunteers that they they play with a lot of pace and and so now you're kind of like thinking, what was Dallas having success doing. It was three on three off, three on Throp and you know, Ferguson, schoon Maker, those guys were all that were kind of shuffling in and out. That Hunter Lickey was a protector. No, now doubt it's a protector. No, the we're gonna use both of them. I mean, you had some the substitutions were really good. The play calling was really good, and the execution was even better. I mean that's what got you back in the game.
Speaker 2: You know, I just had an epiphany. I talked about the injury fort John Stevens wasn't on the.
Speaker 4: Yes and and I and I kind of got an understanding what's going on there. They're they're they're they're they're thinking, they're they're now having a hard time getting him on the active the game day rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't feel like it was an injury.
Speaker 4: No, it's not. It's it's they. They're the the span Ford And if span Ford keeps you, well, that's what I'm saying. They they have a plan for span Ford. But if he keeps doing what he's doing, he must be standing over by us, you know. Yeah, but but that's but I asked the question last week, Hey, is this the week that we see John Stevens? And I got the well, it's gonna be hard to get him up. We only have so many numbers we could bring up. And I went, oh, I guess we're gonna see span Ford play again this week, you know kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So I might even go the route of being like, Okay, if the if the understanding is that span Ford provides something from you from a blocking standpoint, I'd be like, my running game isn't really doing what I wanted to do anyway. I'm just gonna put my best athletes on the field. We're just gonna spread it out and we're gonna throw, man, And that's just kind of how we're gonna have to do it.
Speaker 4: Especially when the Ravens had trouble covering tight ends. Yeah, that doesn't seem like a very good plan.
Speaker 2: If not having time, I'd love to ask. And I thought Stevens was a better Maybe it is special teams because I thought Stevens got better as a blocker, at least what we saw in training camp this year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because you think about it, Fossil already lost one special teams this guy this week, and Nick Vigil he's out of elevations. So unless they bring him to the active roster, Fossil is already gonna have to figure out somebody else to put in that unit. And if you're asking him to also take away Brevin span Ford, who he uses I think in at least three of the four of his punt coverage, kick coverage, kick return, punk return phases, then that's two guys you're asking him to do.
Speaker 2: I know there are three phases to the game, especially right now, have bigger problems right now on offense and defense, and I would be like, let me just focus on that right now, figure it out.
Speaker 4: Just put hundred lipkey on the side where you happy you.
Speaker 3: See the tackle made on special teams last week?
Speaker 4: Ye, my man, my man plays, my man plays one hundred plays a game.
Speaker 2: He's a good player. All right, let's go to take our final break. We'll come back. We'll get a little talk on this Giants defense versus the Cowboys offense. We'll be back. Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 14: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now. Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 4: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 14: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 4: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 10: They say champions are remember, but legends are never forgotten. United Agg and Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 3: Off the field.
Speaker 10: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 5: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 4: Every hit.
Speaker 5: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels. No one comes close. Lgold Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash O Leadevo.
Speaker 15: From the field of the festivities, lou Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at Lucasey dot com. Lu Casey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 2: See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 7: Break Anti Connecting Changes Everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome Back, final segment of the Break Life in this WBC Mortgage Studios At the Start, presented by l G. All Right, Brian Giants defense versus Cowboys Offense? What have we got?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Real quick if I could, It's really going to start with their front, you know, with you look at Brian Burns, who they traded for from Carolina, and then Caveon Thibodeau. They they're very talented, you know, player from Oregon they drafted several years ago. They've they've got really good defensive ends and they've got one of the best defensive tackles in football and Dexter Lawrence. And you know when you watch Dexter Lawrence play, he is going to be a handful for BB. He's going to line up on BB's nose and he is going to push BB all day long. And so how will they yeah, how will they handled Dexter Lawrence?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: They getting when they get Nickel situations to rush the passer, he stays in the field. You know, here's a guy, it's a really good run defender, but he's a really good pass rusher just by his push. And so you got to figure out Burns and Thibodeau. They'll flop sides. I haven't figured out kind of the I'm a reason why. Maybe they're hunting some matchups there. But this defensive line, at the defensive tackle spot, they have an Elijah, this kid named Elijah Chapman that was a college free agent that they got last year. This year, excuse me, he's number ninety four. They play some twist games and stuff with him and Lawrence and and sometimes with the ends. It's it's pretty impressive how they get after the passer. They're They're linebackers are a pretty normal group. Michael McFadden Micah McFadden, number forty one. I kind of feel like, is their their player that you have to worry about. As far as the pressure of Bobby ol Rique is the it plays the opposite side. He's kind of like the middle linebackers. So they've got two solid linebackers, kind of like what you were doing with with the Saints, you know, and the Saints did a pretty good job against you. But McFadden was the one you have to worry about him number forty one. They'll bring him on blitzes and he's created pressures and so his numbers for those are pretty good. They've been banged up in the secondary and that's going to be a problem for them right now. Banks to one corner, I think is Is is a good player, but he struggled a little bit. They've struggled with the help with Nick McLoud, who they got off waivers from the Buffalo Bills, and he's he hurt his knee in the Minnesota game, and he hasn't played the last two weeks, and with the short week, there's questions whether he'll play this week. That means that Cordell Flock will play. He's an LSU kid, very familiar with him. He's very thin, he's not very strong. He's you know, he's been on the team since twenty twenty two and teams have gone after him a lot. You know, he gives up. He doesn't play is up on you like Banks. Banks wants to play up on you and give you like no throws. He's a tight window guy. Flock on the other end, he's more of play back and you could kind of get separation on him, but he's not a very physical player. I would definitely attack him. They've got a safety with Jason Pinnock. He's another guy that likes to blitz. He's got three sacks. You watch the games when they're pressure, he'll come across the formation chasing somebody and then next thing you know, he's blitzing on the play. He's their free safety. So they've got some guys that I feel like you can kind of take advantage of, especially if Flock and then adri Jackson Number twenty one. He's a veteran player that they've had through the years, and he's a guy that's kind of struggled a little bit at times. Drew Phillips, who is the nickel number twenty two, is giving up some plays this year. So if they don't get you with a pass, rusher pressure, their secondary has given up some plays that might be your calling card today. To find some separation and then make some plays on these guys.
Speaker 3: Yes, good, I'm with you.
Speaker 9: It starts with this front, and they've done such a good job of building around Kavon Tibodau over the course of last year. It started when they traded for Dexter Lawrence last season, just in a season that I think they expected they weren't going to be able to do anything. Tommy DeVito was a starter by what week six, week seven, Yeah, and they still went out and got him to understand what he could be valued in the future. They go and get Brian Burns over the offseason, and then Bobby o'caaka. I think he's one of the more underrated linebackers in the NFL. I think he does a really good job of just being able to command that defensive front. And do a really good job stepping up in run fits. So if you're looking for the Dallas running game to open up a little bit this week, this might not be the week. But I think you can attack this young and unexperienced a secondary for the Giants. You talk about Andrew Phillips, rookie out of Kentucky. I liked him in the process, but I think he's a little still a little green when it comes to playing in the secondary in the NFL. He's also battling a calf injury. He did not practice yesterday. Same with adri Jackson battling a calf injury, did not practice yesterday. You talk about Nick McCleod, he was limited with his knee yesterday, so he was at least back on the field. But then you look at Tyler Nuban, strong safety out of Minnesota. I believe they got him in the second or third round, second round, the second round this past year. I really liked him as a run defender as well. So I mean, that's just another guy in the third level that they had they could step step up and play in the run. But I feel like you can beat these guys over the top. I think if CD wants to have a game to where he's kind of shakes off the emotion of last Sunday. This might be an opportunity to do that. But I'm also looking at Jake Ferguson as well. I think there's opportunities in the in the seams.
Speaker 2: I think the player that scares me more than anybody else's dext to Lawrence. Yeah, you mentioned him, and you did what you mentioned was he stays on the field during those past passing downs. He right now is tied for three, tied for sacks on this team with three. Finnick is the other guy, the safety you mentioned to say that He'snick has three sacks. Yes, the safety is coming and your defensive tackle is tied with him with three sacks, as you know, averaging sack of game. So yeah, this this is going to be a challenge for for for Bebies particularly. This is what going to be. This may be the toughest challenges had to this point, uh so far in this young season. All right, let's get some picks here, uh, amb let's start with you today.
Speaker 7: Where are you going picking the Cowboys to win this one? I think that somehow they manage my my thing that I'm holding onto is kind of They typically tend to play pretty well against the Giants in general. I think the tight end position has always been a key position when facing the Giants. So I think maybe this is a game where Jake Ferguson comes more into play and has a good game.
Speaker 8: Against this team, is able to score some points.
Speaker 7: So I'm gonna go with the Cowboys, and I'm gonna go with like.
Speaker 8: Twenty seven twenty seven, seventeen.
Speaker 9: All right, I'm gonna take the Cowboys as well here.
Speaker 3: I think they do rebound.
Speaker 7: It's uh re laughing Brian because he's going to be on the island that I was on last play, sooner.
Speaker 3: Missed that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think the Cowboys rebound twenty seven to twenty four. I think the passing game might be just a little bit too much. But this is definitely a concerning one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one is going to be an certain one. The Giants are gonna win this game twenty six, twenty three, and and they're gonna win this game because Dallas has some problems defending the run and I and I have a feeling that the Giants are going to commit to it and they're gonna they're gonna try and make Dallas defend this thing. And they they've run some of the RPO stuff their their their offensive line isn't as good as the one you just played. But I'll tell you what the I like their I like the receivers. I like their I like what they've got on defense with the defensive tackle and the linebackers, and the secondary has a little bit of a problem. But I think the Cowboys haven't corrected their problems yet, and I think things on a short week it may be a little worse for him.
Speaker 2: I look at this team and I don't see necessarily I see a team that's okay and capable. I see a team that's more like Cleveland than they are like Baltimore or New Orleans, and so I look at that and I say, yes, they will try to run, and I think Dallas may have some moments when the run. They don't necessarily stop the run as they've done throughout this season so far. I just don't know if they have enough. And I also think that if Dallas's offense gets on on track, which I have no reasona believe they won't against this defense, then I think it will put the pressure on Daniel Jones that we've seen in the past. That's how you beat them as you make him after throw the ball, and that's how Dallas wins. So I think Dallas ultimately wins this game. I don't think all their problems are fixed though. I think we're still in here on Monday and saying, man, what's going on with his run defense, what's going on with his run off. It's like there will still be things that that they have to work on. But I do think they get a win just because I think they are the superior team. I think the ultimate final score twenties. I'll say twenty seven, twelve twenty seven.
Speaker 8: You seriously, you're gonna break this table someday.
Speaker 2: What are you talking?
Speaker 8: You just like banging on it with your your rings?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 3: These guys all right?
Speaker 2: We're heading out tomorrow. We're heading to New Jersey for Cowboys versus Giants. Till then for Nick Harris, Brian brodess Ambergarci. I'm Derek Yield and this has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club