Speaker 1: Well, fan Ritos, and welcome to another episode of How Rude tan Ritos. Today, we are thrilled to have David Lipper on the podcast with us. You'll recognize David from his role as Viper in season eight A Full House, where he played a cool and confident guitar player in Jesse's band who immediately caught DJ's attention. We can't wait to talk to him about his time on Full House and beyond.
Speaker 2: So welcome David.
Speaker 3: Yay.
Speaker 4: Oh well, David, welcome to the show. We just sort of jump right in with our interviews. We don't warn our guests because we like to surprise attack people. But no, we just jump right in to the interview. So we are so happy to have you here. I know that we you know, we're reviewing the show, so we have made it to what season three, episode nine, so we are we have not met we haven't met Bert yet.
Speaker 3: But the original full House.
Speaker 2: The original full House.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going back and watching the original full House because we've never watched it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a true no, not as an adult, we did, but we did see you. We we've been reunited more recently on Fuller House because you came back the high school reunion episode.
Speaker 2: Much fun, so much fun. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Viper and Nelson got to uh got to square off again with Nelson.
Speaker 4: Yes, yep, yeah, House Sparks was the new Nelson. Now for those that I mean, since we haven't made it to season eight in Viper's appearance yet, let's give a little background as to Viper. And he was in Jesse's band, right, He was like the new young hot dude in Jesse's band, which, of course Jesse was a little you know, a little threatened by.
Speaker 2: And then and then.
Speaker 3: Then monkey Puppets, by the way, was the name of the what was it again, Hot Daddy and the Monkey Puppets. And I was a monkey puppet.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: We've all had to be a monkey puppet at one point in our lives.
Speaker 2: Wow. But you didn't have to dress as a monkey puppet, luckily, No.
Speaker 3: I did have to wear leader hose in one episode. If you remember, I do, I do?
Speaker 1: I remember your your sleeveless shirts, like they always had you in sleeveless shirts.
Speaker 3: They like to show the muscles.
Speaker 2: Yes, he it was a gun show every week. I loved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, it was so you you know, he was the new confident dude in the band. And of course at this point season eight, DJ was, you know, senior in high school, graduating high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they the Viper. DJ was there.
Speaker 3: Welcome back Carter band as a kid, and John Travolta's Finny Barberino right of that character. So I tried to bring some of that into into Viper and kind of some rocker version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, what was how did you?
Speaker 4: I mean, were you were you close to a monkey puppet in real life or were you were you like totally the opposite of a monkey puppet, like like.
Speaker 3: A music guy. I was all through high school, I was a singer.
Speaker 2: I mean, with hair like that, you had to be David.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, now that's where the hair requirement and I you know, we peaked, I would say when I was about eighteen and we won the Battle of the Bands at Montreal. It was a big deal. But what happened is I went off to college and I was a musical theater major, which is very strange.
Speaker 2: Because I'm a theater kid myself. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was that had kid who played varsity hockey and also was a musical.
Speaker 2: Theater guy, I love rad. It's so rad like and I just said rad, but yeah, it's like that's I love that. I love people that are like, no, I can do. I'm like sports and creative.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't care. I don't fit in with either of you groups. So what I'm saying, I'm going to dance. I was in chorus line in yellow tights, prancing through the stage, and then the hockey guys were like really.
Speaker 2: And You're like yeah.
Speaker 4: And I also have incredible flexibility and endurance because I dance and.
Speaker 3: One of two straight guys in the entire musical theater department.
Speaker 2: You killed you killed my friend, yep, yep, good times. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think I dated every dancer in the dance company. It was pretty much my entire data.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like as the like the handful of straight men in a theater department, that's just the requirement, particularly.
Speaker 3: In college department, the musical theater department.
Speaker 2: Right, That's what I mean. Yeah, the music it is not. Yeah, your your your odds are good.
Speaker 3: We'll put it in that that's were very good. The ratio was good, The odds were good.
Speaker 2: I got to be honest, ye, forge and now you can sing the music man, you know what I mean. So it's really winning all around. Yeah, that's so great. Where did you go? Where did you go to college? David?
Speaker 3: I went to Emerson College and bo okay cool. Notable alumni include Kevin Bright, who was a producer on Friends and what happened funny enough is they kept Bright, Coff and Crane. They were making two pilots at Warner Brothers. One was Friends and the other was little show called The Secret Life of Harry Green, and then they decided to cast me as Harry Green. And then they changed the name's reality Check. But this was like a big, big this was they actually thought this was had a better shot than Friends because we tested so uh like huge test scores eighty five, eighty seven. And when I'm talking about test scores, of course some time about test audiences before they released a pilot, and I love it.
Speaker 4: He knows, like sometimes you get the little thing people are like, wait, you have to take a test to become an accurately now sat right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, They basically like make people watch your stuff and then go, so what did you think?
Speaker 2: And then they score.
Speaker 3: And so we ranked like the highest Warner Brothers pilot. It was an unbelievable, unbelievably funny show that starred me and then my co stars were these little people who've kind of had decent careers Giovanni Ribisi, Hillary Swank who may have won a couple of Oscars. Made my girlfriend, and my little sister was played by somebody who really went nowhere, Killy Coco.
Speaker 2: Oh, just her right.
Speaker 3: And of course I was a star of this show. And Fox got the rights to ball Over the Summer, and that the last second they pulled us because we were going to be on Sundays between Married with Children and The Simpsons.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what a slot.
Speaker 3: And then they pulled us. Like I was celebrating in club bed and I got back. My manager's like, I don't know what happened. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 2: Oh like the business, this is the business.
Speaker 3: Wow, resident of Warner Brothers at the time, Warner Brothers Television. He said to me said, look, we're you're we're fans. I'm a fan. We're going to put you on another show. And that's when they put me on Full House.
Speaker 2: Ah. So that was it. Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 1: We lucked out because of that, although I feel bad that you lost. What an amazing opportunity and it was.
Speaker 3: Such a good show. In fact, if you go on the YouTube and you type in reality check David Lipper, it'll pop up and you can see the pilot. It's it's up on there.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, oh my god.
Speaker 3: It's really actually wild to see a very young Hilary Swank, a very young Jewe right, and a really young Kailee Coco who's like like twelve or ten.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. It was like when Yeah, I'm in Bob did the show and bree uh uh, Lawrence lars Larson excuse me, bre Larsen, Yeah, played his daughter or whatever. You know, it's just the weird sort of the weird circles that happen and then someone goes and shoots off in one trajectory and you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: And don't forget back in those days, the nineties, they made like twenty five half hours and twenty five hour pilots for each network.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it was, and it was the heyday of great like sitcoms and TV appointment television, all of that kind of stuff. Yeah, we we got to have the fun of that experience in the nineties because it's definitely it was just a.
Speaker 3: Much more profitable, easier business. In those days you only had four channels, you know, really forming channels. You had most people watching television and not diverted now to social media and all these other places, and so the advertising dollars could really focus on these places and know that, you know, everyone felt comfortable, residuals were good, like all that stuff worked. Now it's tricky, you know, the streamers and the dilution of content everywhere. You know, there's so many platforms, there's so many places to get content right, really hard to get and it's very niche.
Speaker 4: It's like there's there's a small audience that really rapidly loves a particular thing and but then maybe nobody else knows about it, you know what I mean. But it's very popular with their which is great in some respects because you know, we there's so much out there to watch, but it does make it really hard to kind of be successful now.
Speaker 2: I have a question though, David, going back, who.
Speaker 4: Was your influence in like theater and sports and were your parents people that did that like that did theater and sports or were they like or were you just like you know, what I want to try everything, Like, I'm just fascinated by that because most, but truly most, like young guys would be like, if I play sports, I don't want to do the other thing.
Speaker 2: And I just I think it's so great.
Speaker 3: Was My dad was an athlete football in high school. He played basketball in high school and unfortunately his knees went, but otherwise he probably would have been a pretty pretty good star athlete going through college and went to McGill where he married my mom in Montreal. My sister also star athlete, my brother, star student. So I was kind of like, geez, what can I do? And I was a decent athlete, you know, I played hockey all through high school, tennis, golf, like I do all those things, and I'm decent. I was always a good player, good enough to make varsity, but never great. You know, there were always guys a lot better. The one thing I could do that for some reason, you know, I didn't think it was that hard, and everybody else was like, wow, that's amazing you can do that was singing and act and so I started doing musicals. I think as young as eight, I did the years, and being a Jew, it was pretty funny that I joined the church choir to do the Gondoliers at a church.
Speaker 2: I mean the opportunities where you know, you go where they.
Speaker 3: Are non denominational.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there you got.
Speaker 3: So I just went, okay, you just like to sing. I like, get them out of the house, go sing with people who sing. And that's kind of where it happened. And by the age of nine, I think I was starring in a synagogue production again across the street from the church, right, and I got these great reviews and like, who's this kid who joined you know who? I was like the youngest kid ever in this theater group, and people started started giving me all these compliments. And I just kept booking the leads in musicals, which I did all through high school, and just always kept getting great parts and great reviews and whatever these reviews meant from these local papers or whatever. And then eventually just said I'm going to go do this in college, got my degree in musical theater, and then really just never wavered from my moving to LA and I'm going to do this. And you know, I put a lot of pressure on myself. I said I'm going to give it one year. You know, I made a deal with my family. You were like, listen, you're on your own. You got to pay your own bills. Good luck to you.
Speaker 2: How old were you?
Speaker 3: I'm struggling. My dad said, call me go to business school. I'll pay for everything. So I'm like, like, after n I struggling, Like should I just go get an MBA and just be done with this? And then like boom, I booked like three things and I'm like, I got enough money for the next year. I'm staying right, yes, And that's it. Never looked back, you know. By the next year, I'd booked this pilot and then after that I was on full house.
Speaker 2: How old were you at the sign, David, I moved to.
Speaker 3: LA at twenty one.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great luck too for someone just starting out out in LA to book a pilot and then book a recording career.
Speaker 3: On my audition, here's what happened. I knew one guy who had been a counselor at the theater camp I went to. I went to a theater camp called Stage Doore Manor in New York in the Catskills, and a lot of great people came out of there. Johnny Cryer came out of there, Josh Charles came out of there a lot of really talented people, and so I was I was already like super focused. This is what I'm going to do this, this is how I'm going to make it. I didn't realize what was going to happen is I was going to shift from musical theater into straight acting, and I just kind of said, I'm going to go with the flow. But what was so great about Full House is I got to do both. And that's really the last time I had this opportunity to also do music and also do the acting in one piece. And I'll never forget that, and like how special that was for me because I could see this trajectory happening where I think I'd made an album. I made a CD.
Speaker 2: We had CDs back and ordered it on actual tape.
Speaker 3: Yes, we had reels.
Speaker 2: It was an actual physical thing you could touch.
Speaker 3: You know, it's on my website by the way, David Lipper dot com. But you know, I just could see that was not going to be the thing. And acting was really.
Speaker 2: Really as brutal as acting is. To break into music is like, oh my god, it's.
Speaker 3: It's so hard. And but this one guy who was a counselor at this theater camp. I called him up when I got to La. I'm here for two weeks, right, I got my little Honda Civic and staying at a family relative house. And this guy Mark Sachs, who was a big casting director. He goes, listen, I'm going to do you one favor because I loved you in Fiddler. He said, here's what I'm going to do. I have a friend Ted Han who's casting the show called Step by Step. I think you're perfect for it. I'm getting you a pre read. Don't ask me for another favor. Unbelievable. I got a preread. What's a preread? Okay, let's go. I go down to by the Way. I just remember it was called Laura mar Oh yeah, yeah, that was where we yet, right. So I go down. I meet with this guy is like, oh, yeah, you're you're a Mark's friend. All right, let's go. Let's and read. Let's go. And he was like, oh, you're pretty good. Let's let's sorry. Can we start again, Let's start again.
Speaker 4: It's always great when you go into a casting director and they're like, hey, you're going to suck, but go for it.
Speaker 2: You're just like Yeah. It's that part of in person auditions when you're like, wow, I should just I'm just gonna go. They won't notice whether.
Speaker 3: He's staying does not want to see me. But then he's like, you're fantastic. I'm like, I keep telling people this, okay. So he goes, I'm going to bring you to producers. I'm like, unbelievable. I don't even know what it means, but let's go go to the producers. They're like, I'm you're fantastic. I'm like, okay, do I have the part? No, you got to go to studio studio.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's like the video game. You just keep increasing boss levels to fight.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's happening. I don't have an agent. I don't have like and so he goes, look, I got to get you an agent. I go okay. He goes, you're going to get some phone calls. My phone starts going off the hook. Every manager agent's like, we heard you're testing for this show. And it was already picked up because it was a Miller Boyett show. They were already on for twenty two and I was up for anyway. Came down to me and Sasha Mitchell for this role of Cody, the cousin who lives in the vand right, and for some reason it was at Sony and I can't remember why made no sense, but anyway, we're at the Sony lot, which is a huge lot for those who don't know, and I go in crush it. Really the Viper character is the way I did it, you know, the Vinnie Barberina ball cap on. This is like, so I already like felt really good about this kind of character that I that I've been working on. And they're hysterics. They're like, listen, Sasha is still not here. If he doesn't show up in five minutes, it's yours because we absolutely love you. And and it was my birthday on top of everything. Was it was August thirteenth, so I was like, oh my god, okay, it's my birthday. It's right. This is unbelievable. And at four minutes and fifty seconds in Walksasha Mitchell.
Speaker 2: Oh and he tackle them in the hallway.
Speaker 3: Now it's like I got so lost. His place is so big. It's like, man, I'm like, I'm not going to lose to this idiot. Am I in like wait a second. The character is an idiot, right, Oh no, And so then he comes out. They go in, They go, David, can you come back in? I go sure. They're like, we love everything you did. There was something about him, there's a Midwest thing. Could you do the same performance, take out the New York accent? And I'm like, oh, the whole Pinny Babrino thing that I just worked on. Okay, yeah, sure, I'll anyway, I do that. We go back, We go for it now. As you know, usually they make the pilot decisions in the room. They took three days. Oh wow. Apparently this went back and forth. I think maybe Miller and Boyette themselves were at odds on it. I don't remember whatever happened. It took three days, and then finally they decided to give it to Sasha, and the casting director I'll never forget this, told me the final decision was a marketing person who said they thought Sasha would sell more lunchboxes and that was the end.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So but whatever, I got an agent out of.
Speaker 2: It, step lunch box.
Speaker 3: Step, step by step lunch lunchboxes. Apparently that was a thing.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous. That was the deciding factor. A lunchbox.
Speaker 3: I never had a lunch box. I have never used a lunch box, but apparently it's a thing. So so that's how it started. This was two weeks as same suits that decided Reality Check should be replaced by a sports show, so they don't.
Speaker 4: Well they lunchboxes again. You know, you just keep getting screwed over by the lunchbox.
Speaker 3: And I you know, I had a bag, a paper bag.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, you're like, I didn't even carry it in a box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, never got it. So that's what happened.
Speaker 4: Wow, what a what an interesting sort of I mean circuitous adventure to get I mean, and that's so many of us.
Speaker 2: Can you spell securities circuituitus see I R C U I t O U S. I believe that sounds right to me.
Speaker 3: Every now and then a word I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, circuit.
Speaker 4: It means looping and uh sort of not a direct path, but yeah, like one of these like so like kind of looping and going around and going all around the place that you want to be, uh but not necessarily there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. There's your vocab word for the day. Guys. You're welcome. Occasionally I come out with something smart.
Speaker 3: I love it. This is a good word I use this word.
Speaker 4: Oh I please do give me word credit. I don't know what that means, but just if you need to be like you get at the bottom of the sentence about Jody's sweetenedn't.
Speaker 3: With that word get a residual?
Speaker 2: Right, Look, these streamers are screwing us a whole, you know what I mean. We got to take it where we can. But speaking of.
Speaker 4: I mean working together and weird looping, you know sort of things. You and I got to do a movie together, just wipe. You and I got to do a movie together. And it was during the pandemic that we shot it, and we you also produced it, which you and Elizabeth Blake Thomas, who I'm still dear friends with, who is such a sweetheart. Yeah, she was directing it and you were producing it and and we were all and it was Alec Mappa and Danielle Perez and you and me.
Speaker 2: And and oh my god, it was tell me everything. Where did you shoot this? Well was in Woodland Hills. But whose house was that?
Speaker 3: Frank Sinatra's old estate?
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, there's a beautiful estate up there in Woodland Hills that's all like gated, and.
Speaker 3: This weird thing happened in twenty twenty called a pandemic. Yes, I had directed my first film called Deathlink, and Elizabeth was my first eighty eight and so in the middle of my shoot, pandemic happened, and so all of a sudden it was like, Okay, I lost crew, I lost people. I don't know how I finished this film, except you know, coming as actors, we have thick skins and we just go we can do it, no matter what it is to make it work. I can drive a plane, I put.
Speaker 2: It on my Yeah, exactly right, and I yes, that's some of my special skills. Absolutely, yes.
Speaker 3: So that's what we did and we got this movie done, and Elizabeth was great and helped me a lot as my first first when we had to cut date, we had to cut a whole week off the schedule because.
Speaker 2: Lockdown happened, right like that doesn't have any more experience.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth said, look, I've got this script. I want you to be the lead, and we helped me produce it, and I said, let me read it. And I read it. I was like, wow, this is an unbelievable script. It's about two people who meet in lockdown, which was right what we were in the middle of going through and because of that, two people who normally wouldn't date because we can't physically see each other because we're in lockdown, we end up striking up a friendship and getting to know each other kind of the way dating used to be. It was like, let's have sex and Hi, who are you? So we're just kind of flipped back to the way it used to be. We know each other, we become friends, and then you know, can have a real relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so it was a really nice moral to that story on kind of you know, maybe it's time to slow down and go back to the basics on dating. And when I read the script and she said let's talk about the female lead, I immediately said Jody. I picked up the phone. I called Rachel, who we both are managed by, and I said, Rachel, can you put this in Jodie's hands and and see what she says? And uh, And that's what happened. And I know it's strange that I went from dating Canvas.
Speaker 4: On the show, right from Viper to Yeah, but I really thought this was the right the right move for Jody.
Speaker 3: And it was first off, we had a really impressively diverse cast in this movie. You know, like Jody brought up Perez, she's actually in a wheelchair. We wanted to have somebody who is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's hilarious. By the way I had her.
Speaker 4: She was going to be a guest on one of my stand up family Dinner shows that I do at the Bourbon Room and then wound up being out of town. But but yeah, she's a really hilarious comedian. And Alec Mapa is out of his mind one of the live he's really just.
Speaker 3: He's just so funny and he's so perfect in this movie. And then the guy who played his partner, Steven, it was somebody who was in my film Death Link.
Speaker 2: Yes, Stephen, when that's right, I forgot I've brought yeah so sad.
Speaker 3: We just brought our team the same like crew and people we've been working with. And so the whole idea was, if we're locked in a house for eight days, maybe we can get through this movie with no one getting sick, because in those days, this is pre vaccine, right, this is twenty twenty, the end of like late twenty twenty, where people that's.
Speaker 4: Right, it was it was late twenty twenty, it was right around Thanksgiving, because every we were heading into the holidays and it was getting worse and worse and worse, and we were like.
Speaker 2: Just get through the last like forty eight hours of this. You were like, not again, not again. We're not shutting down again.
Speaker 3: No, no, And that's I said to Elizabeth, we're going to do this. We got to knock it out in like a week. So let's do like six days, one day off, two days, like yeah, that kind of schedule because because anything past that, someone's going to test positive and we're screwed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And these were like the deep nose to.
Speaker 3: Every other.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, We're like yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And testing every day with the rapids and it was you know, and that was really hard to shoot like that, by the way, because it's a lot to put a whole crew through testing and waiting ten minutes for the results and all right.
Speaker 4: So some of you guys were living, we're staying at the some of the crew were.
Speaker 3: Living in the house, a huge, huge house. And what we realized is if we just contained the whole movie in this one house, we can get it done in eight days and we can dress the rooms are so different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's such a big property and big estate you could. I mean it's like any you know, small feature film that you're doing. You're like, I have seven locations right in this house, I've got all I need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the guest house. We even made I think, you know one one apartment and then that's true, Yeah, which was yours.
Speaker 4: I think it was my apartment. Yeah, my apartment was a guest house. We had a little putting green. We had a beautiful like the beautiful hill side off the hood by the.
Speaker 3: Way that that you see me make. I actually made it. And that was a lopsided, bumpy grain that was not an easy putt to make.
Speaker 2: I mean it didn't have a windmill, so I'm not as impressed.
Speaker 3: No, no windmill, No.
Speaker 4: But no, that was such a it was such a fun. I mean it was you know. Again, we shot it in eight days eight.
Speaker 3: Days, and I will tell you I did something that I don't know how except again, we have to do it. I shot fifty five pages of my coverage in one day. I remember that we talked like this, right, like.
Speaker 2: Everything was shot over zoom or.
Speaker 6: Not over zoom, but everything was shot as so it was like me talking to her, I'm talking to camera.
Speaker 3: So I have a locked off camera here and there was another camera basically here in my world and the same thing on Jody's end.
Speaker 2: So we would do like all our coverage in one room on one day.
Speaker 3: I did my entire coverage for the whole thing in one day because we were just like, how are we going to make this schedule? And I'm like, oh, I'll handle it. And it was just like it was insane. It was like I was doing theater. I mean it was.
Speaker 4: It was literally like jumping in and doing monologues of pages and pages of That's a lot to memory.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I want to tell you something Jody talk about a pro and consider it for the other actors. She was there for every line of off camera. She's like, Nope, I'm going to be there. I'm like, you don't have to be I am going to be there.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: I love actors, single line of her off camera and that I got to tell you, I don't know if I've told you this greatly appreciated that.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's I always unless there is some particular scheduling reason where I have to be changing or in hair and makeup or something while the other person is shooting. I always want to give the other actor the courtesy of an actual scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's important because.
Speaker 2: It's you can't. I'm like, why would I?
Speaker 4: Why would I object another actor who's supposed to be my partner in a scene? Why would I make them go I'm going to have you guess what I'm going to give you and react to something that may or may not have happened. Yeah, Like, I just would never dream of doing that if I like I, I one percent think as an actor, it's it's disrespectful to your other actor to not be reading the stuff off camera unless there is some sort of scheduling reason or or you can't be there whatever.
Speaker 2: I just for me, it's a personal thing that I just think. I don't think any actor should leave another actor abandoned out there doing a scene. It's completely different when you're reading with the scripty.
Speaker 3: If the script supervisor who's reading with you, who half the time they're from some foreign country and they are like, David, I love you very much.
Speaker 4: Right, And you're like, that's I appreciate you, thank you for trying. But like, it's not, I can't. I can't give you anything off of this.
Speaker 2: It takes you out of the moment, you know. Yeah, yeah, so well thank you. I It's just that's just what we do as actors. But we had so much fun doing that.
Speaker 4: But it definitely was It was crazy and then yeah, we wrapped like right before Thanksgiving and we were all like, okay, we made it and yeah, and then we just went into the holidays.
Speaker 3: Nobody got sick.
Speaker 2: We were so.
Speaker 4: We were I mean, I will say I mean we were also a small, tight crew and everybody worked their ass off because everyone was doing like in almost an entire department's job pretty much, because it was like you had to really narrow it down to like, we don't have an art department, we have art person.
Speaker 2: You we have a guy, right, and it was like, okay, we'll create, we'll do you know.
Speaker 4: It was it was weirdly like the fun of independent filmmaking, which is sort of the the hectic, craziness, weird stress of it that's almost enjoyable.
Speaker 3: I love those, you know, those those smaller budget films that are short shoots and contained like that. Those are just like where you're really everybody's doing it for the love of the movie, and it's like I'm doing you know, I'm producing a lot of bigger films these days, Like we're doing a Liam Neeson action film right now, and you know, it's like we're getting into the thirty million plus territory.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And it's just it's so much like stress over things. It's nobody everyone's worrying about how much money they're making and this and that. It's like, you know, and it's it's it's very different from nobody's getting paid.
Speaker 2: Everybody like over time, what's that you raise?
Speaker 3: Yeah, tag ultra low budget agreement. And it's just but there's something so beautiful about those movies. I really kind of miss those. Yeah, And you know, I like it's like everybody chipped in, you know.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 4: I've never really i mean, other than like doing TV stuff that's bigger production money. Most of the UH films I've done have been like smaller or you know, not small but Hallmark or whatever ones that we've done or whatever. And I just hear from other people on these huge movies about this very same thing, cruise. Everybody are like it's just like everyone's in their own little world and like nobody it's not as collaborative because everyone's like kind of weirdly protective of their job and their you know, and it's just it's a it's a different like there's something about that small indie film vibe where everyone's just like, we're just doing this because we're all a little bit insane and we love what we do, and you know.
Speaker 3: And you know, there on top of that, nobody was working. It was long, that's true. Nobody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were just so happy to.
Speaker 3: Be there, so grateful to be working when everybody else was at home going.
Speaker 6: Can you can I we're really really yeah, I'm going crazy and lo and behold that's what happened. And a few my later we made Curse of Wolf Mountain, and my great idea was where I teamed up with with Kelly Price, said let's do a movie in the woods, because then there's even less of a chance, right because we're outside and what.
Speaker 3: Do we call it? Wolf Mountain? There's a wolf guy in the mountain. And of course shooting a horror movie where you kill ten people is much more difficult to do in eight days than the house.
Speaker 4: While the hard way, yeah yeah, yeah, and the action scenes are take a whole other thing out of you can do.
Speaker 2: Fifty five pages a day for that.
Speaker 5: Would be no with a whole other schmacggy which fifty five pages a day just so everyone knows, Okay, on a big budget movie, they'll do like they can spend days on a half a page.
Speaker 2: And then you can do we have that in our one day, that one day, that's a half a page.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: On small independent movies like the ones we you know, usually Hallmark and stuff like that, a lot of times you're shooting ten to twelve pages a day, which most people are like, that is a lot. And you know, so I think when normal people hear like ten to twelve page, you're like, everything it does not take as short as you think it does.
Speaker 3: Everything takes stage as a day as normal.
Speaker 4: Six stages a day is normal, and that's and even then you're that's a you know, an eight to ten hour day, like you're busy, So ten to twelve is a lot, but fifty five is like.
Speaker 3: In here, that's a lot of pages.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 4: I did fourteen on a movie recently because we had the weather and we had to add it was a.
Speaker 2: Thirteen It was.
Speaker 4: A thirteen dayer, but one half of one day we got lost to rain, so you crammed everything else in and it was farm animals and all sorts of wild you know, yeah, but there's but at the same time you're like, this is great everyone, Like, I mean, what do you do? You just you make it work, like there's something sort of fun about that gorilla kind of filmmaking where it's you know, all hands on deck. Well, that was such a great episode, you guys, and that is David Lipper. So thank you so much for joining us for part one of our episode with uh with David, and we are gonna get to spend some more time with Viper. We are so glad that you fanar Rito's got to tune in for this incredible interview. So join us for Part two with David coming this Friday. And in the meantime, if you want to find us on Instagram. On the Instagram you can you can follow us at how Rude Podcast. You can also send us an email at howarudpodcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And you know what I say, make sure that you're liking and subscribing to the podcast wherever you're listening to it, because you want to get those newest episodes as soon as they come out like part two with David.
Speaker 4: So we will see you next time, everybody, and remember the world is small.
Speaker 1: But the but the but the the the microphone is loud.
Speaker 2: No, the the hair, the mule, the mullet is curly?
Speaker 1: Does it?
Speaker 2: Did he have a curly mullet? He did have a curly mullet. He did have a curly The house is full. How about that? The house is full, but the royalties are yours. Yeah, yeah, there we go.
Speaker 4: Because you know John so kindly gave him that. So yeah, all right, until next time, folks may