Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black. I feel better and I'm wearing a brown and auditioning T shirt. Ambition, hey man.
Speaker 2: Ambition, hayperthing girl, how you doing eggs?
Speaker 1: On top of the birthday. So it turns out I had an upper respiratory infection that I had to have antibiotics for QQQ, I know, and for the first time in like twenty years, they actually had to issue me like an athma pump because I could not breathe for a oh. They were like, girl, yeah, the audio something going, this is a thing going around.
Speaker 2: Well how was Kelly? And now you're making me want to say Regis and Kelly?
Speaker 1: How was Kelly?
Speaker 2: Ryan saw you got to go on with her and her husband? I do her husband.
Speaker 1: It was only by God's grace because the night before I was still like I didn't because I didn't know what was wrong with me. So I actually went some of the all you know old head athmetics. Remember private Team Missed. I remember back in the day when I didn't have like my my prescription pump, I would go to the CBS and get a Private Team miss which is like a general pump, you know. So it's the only thing that kept me from like hacking up along and I was like, oh my gosh, I can breathe. And so but they were. I have to say, I've been on a lot of sets and hands down the nicest crew. Everyone was nice every single step of the way. I you know, and shout out to is his name Eddie. He was like the producer of my segment, and he was saying that they're known as like the nicest show in television. I mean, Kelly, oh my gosh, Kelly. Kelly was saying, so Ryan is actually sick with COVID because you know, so it was her husband Mark. Mark was nice. Kelly was nice. I mean, it was almost to the point like do they beat y'all here? Because everybody they do, they beat y'all like to be.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, if they did, I think that's what happened to the Ellen Show. It wouldn't be that nice.
Speaker 1: I know. But honest see what I tell you, they were so nice, and you know, I had such a good time and I had not felt that comfortable on set like probably ever, just because they were so nice. And they're like, oh, we want you to come back in January to do some tips. So I'll be back in black congurunce.
Speaker 2: That's dope. Thank you, excited for you, and I'm glad that you got better. Just some time for your birthday, girl, I was like.
Speaker 1: He had lived like this. I'm like, what is this yet? It was so besides COVID because I got tested like four times. I'm like, it's got to be the VID. It wasn't. It was just like I said, there's this upper respiratory you know, it's flu season. It wasn't the flu, but there's some infection that's like floating around. And so because of like.
Speaker 2: No other words to get sick, y'all be safe girl, where I'm still.
Speaker 1: Going to mask? Yeah, no, honestly I would suggest it. So I'm still I'm not fully like over, I'm like ninety percent so I feel pretty good. But yeah, yesterday was my birthday, and honestly it was one of my best birthdays. Like it was nice because I had a bunch of family and friends come before. If you guys have not seen, my friend Cabrell forced us off to do the cuffet challenge support I had the teach us how to do. I know it's on my I.
Speaker 2: Did hard the way I finally did that trend and I it took me like twenty minutes. I'm like, yeah, look hard, but it's like sick up your stomach and pat your head at the same time, kind of a.
Speaker 1: Cup it, you know, like that the Beyonce Like, no, I know the challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I just hadn't seen on your page yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like, so first of all, he made us I'll watch the tutorio like thirteen thousand times. And then poor Melissa had to guide all these old folks like how baby, how do you put the news to go on? Hi? She was like, oh my god, so she's leading in the front. But we had such a good time. Honestly, it was such a fun birthday. Yeah, like I you know, it was like it's my first without Jarell. And it was nice because usually I would wake up in the morning and like downstairs, as soon as you come downstairs, it'd be like he would have a present and balloons and whatever. And Tracy remembered that, so, you know, I came downstairs and there were my balloons, which was really nice. And I don't know, like it was just like I'm in a space now where I'm simultaneously holding space for both grief and gratefulness. You know, It's like I didn't think you could hold both at the same time, and I'm doing that. And so it was just such an awesome birthday, just like really great food, Like all the kids were here, like like I said, my Sunday's Supper crew. So it was just a really really really nice time and I was just, yeah, it just was one of my birth best birthdays yet.
Speaker 2: And so I feel like getting sick was one of my you know how when you had something big coming up and you're like, please, lure not now. I had to. For the past two weeks, I have been cramming and like working so hard because my Maybe money Maker Academy finally, I was transitioning it from I used to teach live and you know tip. Now I'm doing an on demand course. So I was transitioning everything onto the platform that I'm using. And it was a two week grind and I was up a launch day with Saturday, and you know, I set the deadline myself and then but I got it done and I'm so happy. Yeah, everything is going smoothly. I'm so happy that I made this transition. Transitions are hard, but I know, what's that thing you said, like you want to make decisions now for like when pre pivot. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So this was more like a pre pivot and an investment in like a you know, like a more expensive platform and all of that. But I think it was really smooth. I think all my experience as a manager, trying to like, you know, people would change can be a little trying to tell the team, hey, we're going to change the way we do things. That's how I feel my bandy money Makers. I'm like, y'all, it's going to be some stuff going on. You're gonna have to think about what you're gonna do, and you're gonna have to let me know, and it's gonna be fine. Yes, just do not be alarmed. And you know, I had a couple of people who were alarmed in Panama. Of course, there's always going to be there's always a couple.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: It's just like managing people, like it's just like being a boss. I realize that now. Yeah, I'm really proud of that. And a good friend of mine named Charity, she has a book that comes out tomorrow, so I want to give her a quick shout out. This book is phenomenal. She she came and talked to my makers about it. It's called Power, The Rise of Black Women in America. It is out tomorrow, and it's how black women embody the American dream, defy oppression and win.
Speaker 1: So it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a wonderful book and it's really it was challenging for her to find, I know, to like get the agent and get the publisher and all of that because I feel like we are so used to stories of black women struggling. They were like, you want to write a book about how black women are doing great and thriving and you know, doing better than our previous generations and all of that. And Charity is like, yes, I want to write a book like that. So she did, and I'm so proud of her. Can we put the link in our show note? Oh yes, I would love to.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So does she have like a book page like you know, like or do we get you would directly from.
Speaker 2: She does not have the budget needs to playbook for a book.
Speaker 1: And just because in case she had, like you know, like charity something such dot com or something like that, you know.
Speaker 2: But no, I know I wish I had, like I don't think so. But by the time you guys get this episode, I will have the right link. If she does have a landing page, I will have it there for you.
Speaker 1: Well, can we talk about another book by a black woman that was so transformative?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I recently read have you heard of the NAP Ministry? Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh MG, of course I love it.
Speaker 1: So so I've been following the nat Ministry on IGS just you know, I honestly just thought it was like, oh, fun memes, memes. Yeah, no, no, no, no, no. So the woman's name who started the net Ministry, she calls herself then the NAP Bishop, and it sounds like, oh cute and kitchen. No, it is a political movement. She's got a manifesto, a book called rest is Resistant. And what I tell you, if you are a black woman, you need to read this. Get the Get the Get the audiobook. It was so powerful. Like I'm someone who y'all know, like like to read a lot, you know, listen to a lot of books. But I one day Usually that's like unheard of. Usually I'll listen to over a few weeks or a week or so. No, all in one day. I literally took a two hour walk just so I can finish it. It was so powerful her her like mono or mantra is rest is resistance and we will rest. It is just so powerful. The book is really just about how we were all overworked and overwhelmed and that how you do not have to earn rest, that is your divine birthright, and like we're all doing too much and if we would all just slow down just for a moment, you know that we can live more fully, deeper, happier, more centered lives. It is just it is a love letter to black women, you know, and I just I cannot recommend it enough. Yeah, Like honestly, I almost wept when I finished it, honestly, Like that's how much it spoke to my spirit because you know, I mean you already know you know an entrepreneur, which just it's you work so hard. And I'm not saying you're not supposed to work hard, but sometimes we lose sight of like wait, so when does it stop? Like what is the end goal? Because sometimes work begets work, you know, And where do you draw the line in the sand. And it was just such a beautiful book that helped me to reshape and rethink what is it that I'm working toward. Then how do I integrate rest more? Because you hear me now, my voice sounds like this. I mean, if you're used to my voice, it's a little huskier than normal. But I was sick because of lack of rest. Honestly, I was getting sick. I felt it, and instead of resting, I pushed and pushed and pushed until I got upper respiratory infection and had to use an asthma pump for the first time in twenty years. Like and meanwhile, I don't have to work if I don't want to. So it's not like, oh my gosh, s Tiffany, because how you gonna pay these bills? Girl? How are you gonna So it's like, so I really needed it, and I just I suspect that most of y'all listening could use that book too. I cannot recommend it enough. It's just it's just it's beautifully written. She's a poet, so there's a lot of that's the sense you get when you hear her read it to you. But it's just a really powerful book. Rest Is Resistance by Tricia Well, we'll put the link in our our show notes too. Tricia hersey h e r s E y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait. I that one's on my list.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you get through so many books.
Speaker 2: TIF. I take walks too, but sometimes I just want to listen to the birds. And I have a bad habit of when I have a moment of peace, I'm like, oh, turn something on a podcast like audiobook and anyway, but I will add it to the list. I will actually listen to it, especially if it's only a couple hours long.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, it's only like about five And I'll say this that like, so usually when I walk, I usually I either listen to a book to your point, listen to the bird, talk to her friend. But typically what I listen to books when i'm cleaning, you know, because I'm not gonna lie, well, I'm sure most of us I hate cleaning, so a book helps me to keep going. So that's what I was doing. I was doing laundry and cleaning, and so it was like keep going, keep going. So that's what it helped, you know, like to do so but yeah, so yeah, I just it just like I said, it was just it was a delight. But certainly it was definitely an eye opener of like, what are you working toward again, Tifney, slow down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm at this period now where I really get that and I've incorporated. I've created this lifestyle that I just love. I'm so protective of it. Yeah, you know, my my afternoons, I do take a lot of naps. I don't do this whole transformation of BNDY money Makers has created a space where I'm not going to be I'm not going to have to repeat myself and do the same thing again and again unnecessarily, you know. So we're always teaching lessons again and again. Live the fact that now I pre recorded that and I can show up and do the you know, do the group coaching and give that guidance fresh like I'm and able to say no to things and I but I also feel like we all sometimes we are good at the whole rest thing and the you know, taking care of ourselves, and then there's like these cycles and you kind of find yourself getting out of balance again, and that's where you like need that book or need that reminder. So I feel like this is going to be in my survival kit of when I start, because I'm I mean, I got some stuff planned. I'm like, oh God, the chaos is coming. So I can't wait to read that. I'm so grateful that not only that she that this mystery is out there, but that their message seems to be hitting, like we're absorbing it changing because of it. Why don't we have a guest today? Yeah, I'm excited for you guys to meet. Well, we have a couple of exciting things we have in house, B, a Q and A. Finally, we are listening. We have our We've selected some listeners to join us live on the show, which we'll have our first today, and then we also have another special guest, Icobathia. And if you guys have heard me rave about Ico. She is a diversity inclusion expert, one of the originals, and she is currently working at like the biggest consulting firm I believe in Dee I Work, which is Brene Brown's organization. And if you know Brene Brown, I Goo is right there with her and she's gonna come on and talk to us and I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's up next. So we're gonna take a quick break and then bring back Ico and we're back and black from break, we have a special guest in our studio. I go, Bethia, Am I saying right now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Last name? Right, Bethia, you are Yes, that's a very juicy black name. But Fia, I can.
Speaker 3: Tell you stories about that name.
Speaker 1: But yes, So we're gonna welcome her into Bana Vision and Mandra tell us a little bit bit more about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me that, Mike. Let me tell you all about my friend Ico. I have been cyberstalking Ico for probably the past couple of years, and it was when I listen into an episode of Brenet Brown's Dared to Lead podcasts and herd Ico on the podcast when I knew we needed to have her on Brown Ambition. But let me tell you a little bit about Ico. She started her career as a grassroots community organizer. She has worked for the City of Atlanta as an attorney alongside someone y'all might know, Stacy Abrams. I don't know, little just throwing that out there. Worked for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundations, where she started to first get where she first started to get involved with the important work of creating things like employee resource groups, leading some of the organization's first conversations around race. Not because it was her job description, but because she knew that was at the core of what she wanted to demonstrate in her life and work, she dove headfirst into that equity work full time when she founded her own consulting firm, We Love a Badass Entrepreneur. I Goo founded her very own consulting firm called Rare Coaching, where she has consulted with some of the biggest corporations globally around the country for sure, and today she is a part of the Berne Brown Education and Research Group, where she is also a senior director at Frontline Solutions, which is a black owned consulting firm. Ico says she's guided by her unique background as a black and Asian American woman, with her intrinsic values of justice and loyalty, and her role as a mama of two black sons. With this perspective, Iico's able to use her passion and drive to create conversations and change around race and equity in the communications and organizations.
Speaker 1: That she serves.
Speaker 2: Glad to be here with y'all, So happy to have you whoo all right, I Goo so as someone who works with these organizations and helps them do better in ways that make workplaces less hostile for black and brown workers. Right, what is that work like? And how do you are you heartened by it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you optimistic by the changes that you're seeing these corporations make? Can you talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, one thing I probably say to distinguish some of the work I do is that I don't solely center on when people say diversity equity inclusion work, but I solely center on leadership development work period. And my belief is that if you're a strong, competent leader, you're going to have diverse, equable, inclusive teams and workplaces and higher retention. Like you can't do one if you're not a stellar leader period, a competent leader. If I were only focused on equity or racial equity work or gender equity work, I would probably be exhausted all the time. So you know, the emotional labor behind that mental labor behind that is concentrated in being the work and doing the work can be exhausting. So I appreciate doing leadership work as well so that people can understand the sustainability part and not just segregate it and say all that d I work is over there. This doesn't have thing to do with me. This is like the ex or curricular work.
Speaker 2: I think that's really powerful. I'm glad you said that. It's like the it's the foundation of great leadership. It's not something that you can just have your HR director.
Speaker 3: Do exactly, Mandy.
Speaker 1: So where do you see like the biggest gaps where I mean, I feel like there were so many promises made during you know, after George Floyd and you know we're here now. Where do you see the biggest gaps where you find yourself saying this is where I need to put my time and effort and energy into.
Speaker 3: I think it comes down a lot of it, especially if I'm just focusing on the global north too. I think it's about people not even having the time to be human, because to be connected to folks, for me to fully see Tiffany, for me to fully see Mandy, I need to actually not be so inundated in my own brain about all the things I need to do. So when you're always just on a hamster will period and there's not that space to one connect with people, and there really isn't that space to check yourself and also recognize the barriers that you're putting up for other people like that takes self awareness, pausing introspection, and then also the effort to retool and do something different. And so I think in the workplace there just hasn't been enough space for one people to be humane to themselves or to other people. And then there's this other part about just accountability. You're going to say you're doing all this stuff, or we're this type of place to work, but when people don't show up that way, or they're really doing harm to other folks, and usually the same people who look the same, who are less empowered in society are the ones who are experiencing that harm. But then there's no accountability. And sometimes in some workplaces there's actually a reward to that, right you're not spending time trying to hold the hands of your employees or get to know them. You're just getting stuff done no matter what the cost. Therefore you're getting more of the kudos or the bonuses because you're selling more, you're working your people harder, they're producing more, versus thinking about the way that people experience the workplace, or that maybe you don't have the highest retention rates or do you even have lower retention rates when it comes to your brown and black folks, your women, other folks, and no one notices that because maybe there's only two in the organization anyway.
Speaker 2: How do you shift that perception? Because I mean, I work for publicly traded companies and when I tell you it's all about that quarterly you know report, What's Wall Street going to say? How do our what are our margins? What's profit look like? You know, quarter after quarter? And I know you've worked for some really big corporations, But how do you start to shift that mentality of this stuff matters retention rates of black and brown talent, engagement rates, those other measurements that you talked about, How do you start to shift that mentality and convince them that this is good for business?
Speaker 3: So I will say one thing is the avenue that I come from is that I don't really care about the business part, right, because that's always coming down to how much can somebody produce? And our value is definitely beyond what we can produce, right, even though we think about what's the workplace? Therefore people say profit. The other part I'll talk about is what we do know, especially since more research has been done about this with COVID, like why do people quit and leave? Is recognizing even for the Great Resignation, the number one reason that people left didn't have to do with compensation, didn't have to do with COVID, didn't have to do with remote work. It had to do with people saying, I'm working a toxic culture. And the way they define toxic culture was about a culture of disrespect, lack of ethics, dismissing issues that pertain diversity, equity, inclusion. So you can't even keep your workforce. And how much does it cost to actually even hire and retain talent and to retrain talent. That's another thing. The other great thing is because there's podcasts like yours, there's things like classdoor all these other places, is where we can actually assess what an organization is like before we buy from them as a consumer, before we even apply to work there. So there's a greater accountability beyond the walls of an organization. And you know, customers, consumers, people are getting savvier that get a line in a heartbeat to look at what's happening or find out what happened on that runway that had either clothing products or what have you that was disparaging to us. Everybody knows about black Twitter, the accountability looks really different, and it's very hard to recover a brand, especially when it's harmed by its own behaviors or ethics. So I appreciate those aspects of even the social media and people being more willing to be transparent about what their experiences have been at different workplaces.
Speaker 1: So if someone is in a workplace right now, there was We take the podcast Brand Ambition qbaqa earlier with the young women woman who is a nerve and she said she looks around and no one looks like her, and she just feels like when she brings it up the hot, the powers that be react from a place of defensiveness. So what does someone like that do when they are trying to be part of the solution. You know, they're not looking to accuse, but just looking to create change. You know, what are the options for her?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What should she be doing?
Speaker 3: So, Tiffany and Mandy, one of the things I'll tell you first is that when people come to me, especially folks of color, black and brown people, and they show those types six marriages. The first thing I am counseling and coaching people around is giving themselves permission not to have to fix everything with permission not to educate people.
Speaker 2: I feel good about our advice. Now tip the one I feel good about our advice.
Speaker 1: You don't have to carry the whole world to your shoulders.
Speaker 2: Sis, Yes, I'm pretty much to quit, but yeah, give us your take.
Speaker 3: I guess for yourself. I will tell you that after usually coaching engagements, I think last year or within the last eighteen months, probably two CEOs who I coach step down. So there's this idea also centering yourself and understanding what's my purpose? What are my values? Is this aligned? Is this aligned with who I want to be as my aspirational self? If it is not, the longer you stay on that Hampshire will the more you're going to get in a place where there's lower morale, maybe lower aspect of your self worth, maybe further from your purpose in life. So I'm always centering the client about what do they want. I'm not going to ever be coaching you to coach which assimilate and do all these other things. It's what do you want? Who are you? And who do you want to be? What's your inspired self look like? So that's the first thing I'm going to say. The other part is there's a reality of what we have space to do and not do in a given moment. So everybody doesn't have a privilege to just walk off of a job or tell somebody what I really think about you, but the idea of how do you make it so in terms of what your inspired life looks like, what is steps you need to take? But most importantly, why are you at this workplace now? And how is it serving you? So now I'm making an intentional choice and informed choice of I'm staying here because maybe because you know what, my kids need health insurance, or maybe it's because X, Y and Z, or it's serving me because I'm getting this experience is going to allow me to be a B or C later, But being intentional because one of the things that we often find ourselves doing is showing up by default because everybody said that's a good job, and I need to stay at it, because I should be grateful to be here, because I don't know if anybody else will take me, because I'm afraid and what else could be out there, what people are going to say about me? And sometimes it is I'm more comfortable with the devil, I know. But at least if you intentionally know why you're doing it, now you have ownership over your choice and you're not just living a life by default. So those are the first things I'm telling people. It's the center of them versus whatever is happening in the system around you. You know, I want you to notice what's happening in the system, but I don't want to you to take the default route of I have to fix it, or it's my problem, or I need.
Speaker 1: To stay here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one of the when we were talking to that listener. And then also in my work, so I have a group coaching community for women of color professionals from across the country, and I also did one on one career coaching, just dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of one on one calls, and one of the one of the I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm trying to encourage more women of color to look at leadership as an opportunity. And what I'm the response I'm getting is often politics, work, stress won't be supported. Fewer of us get at the top that look like us. How can I expect to be any different? And I'm just wondering if you have any if you've felt, if you've heard the same things, or if you have some advice for me, and how I can I have my own way of encouraging that and trying to not push but just show the possibility of what can happen when we do sort of end up in those rooms and get those leadership roles. But it is one of the common things I hear again and again is I know I could be a leader, but it seems like, damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of proposition, I'm going to get there and I'm going to be the razor thin margin for error is going to be like this, I'm going to screw up and get kicked out or I'm not going to have any support. You know what would you say to that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm going to go back to the idea of what do you want? So one is not throwing it out because you feel like this is what it's going to be like before you get a chance to be in that seat of what is it really going to be like? I don't close your options off before you have the experience. You can always go and be at that high level of leadership and then decide this isn't for me. But if you jump off before it's even the opportunity, then we're allowing the diminished expectations. And also oftentimes, unfortunately what we've seen happen to other people dictate what our destiny is and that may not be the case. So still idea of my mantra for my folks, my clients and whatnot. It's really you're here to define success in your own terms. If it looks like being in that other seat, that higher seat, than go after it. But know also who you are and what your boundaries are about what you're not going to do, and if it's not what you want to do, then understand why is it that you feel like this is a story to telling yourself and the life that you're creating for yourself, Because that's really important too, because more likely it's some kind of other boundaries that are probably that may be breached too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a story you tell yourself. And it's also no, I totally agree, it's like the fear of the unknown. It's also the fact that there's so many stats that tell us how bad it is.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 2: I was a journalist and my former career, and I would write about those stats, the wage gap and the women in the workplace reports from Cheryl Sandburd's organization that show how few of us are as you get up the corporate ladder, and I would always just kind of be like, uh huh, not me. It can't be me, Like there you know, exceptions to the rule. It's an act of survival, I think, to sort of be able to recognize the stats and then also say, in spite of that or nevertheless, you know what, my story can be different. And that's one of the harder things I think it is for to get over that mindset hump.
Speaker 3: I think, and Tiffany's of course living proof of this too, is that there's also the idea of all the bright lights out there when it is done, Because if we look at the stats around entrepreneurs, women who are entrepreneurs, black and brown women who are entreprepreneurs, none of us should be in the bracket we're in, right. Then there's on top of that, I always question data and how it's gathered anyway, So when I think about people in my community who are entrepreneurs and they're you know, cosmetologists, doing hair, doing it steta, they're making six figures. That's not necessarily calling the data. So I would have once upon a time been like, I'm not going to be doing hair. I'm not gonna blow because I can't make it living. And now I'm looking at some of my friends and colleagues who make you know, three hundred thousand and more. They're doing hair, and that's not something that's necessarily looked at as a career for many folks. But I'm like, you have got to be able to find success on your own terms of what you want and make it so. Because if I believed everything that was written in the stats, because we know that there's so many stories about us that are not told because no one's seeking them. And then there's the idea of what does a qualitative lifestyle look like. So there's also data that shows that many of us who work in corporate America, who were making great money economically, we went to all the schools that we're supposed to go to. We will die before somebody else who may be at a lower income bracket who looks like us. And I could give you a few guesses. I'm sure y'all know exactly why and where's that stress coming from, Tiffany. Is it coming from the fact that you may not be able to pay the light bill? No? Is coming from what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just we are tied. I needed to say this, I goo because I was just sharing with Mandy earlier that I just read this book, this Resistance. Oh that's for taking out when I tell you, every brown woman, I know she had the book, but two.
Speaker 2: Well you should send me one because Amazon's trip and I haven't gotten mine yet.
Speaker 3: To everybody, I am knowing tie everybody.
Speaker 1: I listened to it the day before yesterday, in completion, in one sitting, I took a walk, I did laundry. Yes it was I wept, I cried, and then I slept.
Speaker 3: Yes, we will rest.
Speaker 1: When I tell you, it spoke to my soul because we are tired. I'm tired, you know, because you carry the whole weight of all things on your shoulders. And you're right, Like I didn't have stress when I started making really good money about you know, whether I could pay bills and everything else. But there was just this the stress of like, you know, success and making sure everybody else is okay, and and am I doing right by my people, and am I doing enough? Yeah? And I just this book gave me kind of like the permission that I needed that I was already starting to give myself is that you don't have to do anymore. You do not have to qualify or quantify your life. You know, like if you had stayed a preschool teacher, it would have been enough. If you had just in the budget they said, it would have been enough. If you had been a mom and stayed at home, it would have been enough. If you had never had children and stayed single and had your record, it would have been enough. You do not have to qualify your life. You don't have to add on too. I don't have to do anymore. I don't owe anyone, you know, and then except to show up in the fullness of who you are. And so like we are tired, we will rest and I cannot. You know, that is the space that I'm navigating from, because it's just I mean, I tell this to my mentees all the time, that the real work is in the reaping, not the sewing.
Speaker 3: You know, yes, yes, for the people in the back.
Speaker 1: Because when I tell you, it seems like in the beginning, I get it when you first started out, You're like, oh, no, no, I'm putting in so much work to plant these seeds, you think, until those seeds grow trees, and those trees grow apples, and it's more apples than you could ever hold. And at first it seems like such a blessing. And then you're like, well, where what what baskets about? What? How do I even harvest apples? And where do I put them? And so meaning that like for I'll give you guys an example. So my book comes out, it becomes a New York Times bestseller. More opportunities to hit my inbox, I say yes to those opportunities. More opportunities hit my inbox. I say yes, So I have more opportunity. I say more opportunity. And before you know it, you're drowning and all the goodness you are literally drowning and all the opportunities and it seems like such a good problem to have, but it's it is. It is the reason why my blood pressure has shot up to places where I stopped taking it because I was scared to even see the numbers one sixty over something. Can you imagine? And I was like terrified to like, I gart he a doctor and she was just like, girl, I knew I was stressed out, but I didn't know that my body knew that I was stressed out, you know, and use the store. Yeah, so that's another book that I've read, Your Body Keeps the Score. And it was way before Drew had passed away, My husband had passed away, And it wasn't until he did that I was like, so what are we going to do, Tiffany? Are you next? You have to make a decision, girl, Like what are we going to do? You know, like, at some point you have to decide are you going to choose life for yourself?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, are you going to choose life? I get it. You want to help your people, you want to do good, But at what cost? Do you have to be a physical martyr for all the things? And so I decided no that I said, you have to choose a struggle. Either you're grieving for your husband or you're going to grieve for your own life. And so I decided to get healthier and I lost twenty five pounds. Yeah, I eat better, you know, I work out well, I walk, and I relax more and even like I have this up respiratory like coffee because I've been doing too much the last couple of weeks. But and when I went to the doctor, she'd asked me, like, you know, do you have like high blood pressure, diabetes whatever? And I was like, you know, black people, I'm not climbing it. I was like, noil. And so she took my blood pressure, which I had not had taken in like months, and it was normal. It was like one twenty five over like seventy two. And I was like, yes, yes, because what that means is because although I am definitely going through a seemingly stressful part of business right now, what that means is I am learning to say you come first, and that although those things are happening, I'm not allowing it to tear down what's on the inside. And I just want to give all of us permission that as you do the good work, it starts with you. You know, it really does start with you. That you are no, you're not going to be helpful to anyone broken and and tired and exhausted, and I just I'm just so glad you're here so people can hear that, yes, we want to do the good work. We want diversity and inclusion. You want to have a voice of you want to sit at the table, but you don't have to do all the things by yourself.
Speaker 3: And really I have a question for you. I want to ask you in a minuta, and maybe Mandy too write it down here. Some don't forget, but that part of starting with giving ourselves permission. Sometimes we don't even know what we're giving our sales permission to do because it's so unfathomable. So the idea of rest, many of us think we know what it is, but have never experienced it, never seen it, and we really don't know what it is. And I think on some level our body even rejects it because it's so unknown. So you're sitting on a sofa, or you're doing some different things, you need to get up and do this. The to do list is just right there, heyble, And we don't know how to say no because six hundred people are asking us to do stuff. So we think that if we're not doing things that are on the job, then I'm resting, But you're really not. And so this idea of imagination and world building seeing other women do it, giving ourselves permission even to be in luxury and not feel guilty about it, but we have to start even being able to imagine it because many of us have never even seen it or felt it before. So I'd ask you, Tiffany and Mandy, like, what is it that you had to be able to do to even imagine what it looks like to rest? And one you already give yourself permission, but then to do it and to figure out what's working and that it's okay? What did you do?
Speaker 1: I had to take like time away, you know, after my husband passed away and I realized I was just like, what is all this for?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: And because I prioritized everybody, and I took like timer, I went to Bali for like two months just by myself, and it was there then because there's a I had to literally see something different. My therapist calls it a corrective experience because we tell ourselves this is the way you live life. That you go to Bali and no one's living life that way. You know, they're eating food, they're taking walks, they're saying how they're you know, slowly going to the beach. And it was like, that is a version of life that's happening in New Jersey. But here's another version of life. This is a corrective experience. You can live life in this way. And then quite honestly, I had to burn it all down. That's an episode that you said when you came on earlier, and you said that that was the one that you were like because people were upset with me for burning it all down because they didn't see that if I did it, I would not be here, you know, yes, and so they did not know that, like I all that I had been doing to make sure everybody was okay if I didn't burn it down, that all it was for them was job loss. For me, it would have been life loss. And I was just like, so sorry about your job, but kind of want to live. So I'm just I don't know what just else to say, you know. And even after sharing that, there were still some people that there were like, yeah, but you know, you know, you know, I was depending on that money for dot dot dot dot dot, And it was really like, it's a different Tiffany now because I'm not nearly as nice as I was. I'm still kind, but now not nearly as nice as I was, because I realize how people will pick at the bones of your body and then walk over and then eat off somebody else and I'm not here for it. And so I'm still super kind, like you know, like that is a you know, but as far as nice, no like meaning that like the posturing, the I don't want people to think badly of me, the let me behave from this from this perspective or or point of view, so that way, on the outside everyone is like, Tiffany's a good person. No, whatever you think about me, that's your business. I know how I operate. I sleep very well at night. I don't mistreat people. I try my best to navigate from a place of fairness and integrity and in alignment with what I think is best for my people. You know, I don't take more than I than I give. And so however you perceive me as far as nicest or not, that that's not of my concern anymore. And so that's what I had to do. I had to burn it all down, and I had to like let the chips fall where they may. My biggest fear before it would always be what will they say? And I'm sure there are lots of people out there now who say, you know things about me that are not super flattering, and I don't care. Sorry, sist like I paid well for a very long time. You should save those coins when I was overpaying you to do underwork. Yeah, like, let's speak on it, because I promise you wherever you're working right now, you're not paying. They're not paying mode. I was paying because I was doing too much.
Speaker 3: Tiffany, Yes, So I would just tell you that I took many notes from that episode that you did, because, yeah, it's about community. You want people to have this different experience, you want to do something different, pay people X amount, what have you. And then it was this idea of yes, I still feel like, you know, we're going to be generous this way, but I'm not doing it for your approval. And this idea so we talked about one, you've got to have give your self permission to imagine something that's even possible, right, that you may not have ever even seen or experienced. Then you got to give yourself permission. The permission may actually come first to even give you yourself permission to imagine, right. And then this other part of this self worth that you're saying, which is it can't be anchored into what the world thinks for what other people think. So that idea of going back into who am I and what's my inspire self? Am I creating a castle between that my purpose and my inspire yourself? Or am I actually walking that? Because you're right that burnout. If we're doing this in terms of pleasing other people who were supposed to be always talk about it being their agenda, there's a point where we go away from their agenda to our agenda. That their agenda is you need to do this right. You need to go to this school, work at this place, be this kind of person in the community. Whatever that story of origin is for you, you got to dismandle it and like you said.
Speaker 1: Burn it down.
Speaker 3: What is my story and my how I defining success? What does it look like on my terms? And it takes a degree of courage and fearlessness to say it looks like something I ain't never seen anybody else do or anybody else say it was okay because I know that Mama now or whoever is going to be saying you need to keep that good job or you need to help them people, and you have to be okay creating a new story.
Speaker 1: You have to allow adults to adult. That's what I realized too. I said, girl, you ain't get birth and no nan chick a child. The only person I am I responsible for is my my my you know. I look after my nieces and my nephews and my my bonus daughter Lissa. And I'm like, these are adults, adults, not adults adults, you know, because sometimes I take so much responsibility for everybody's life that I'm like, that's YouTube, tak look at the beer says you step there. You decided that you you the boss to everybody, you know, And I'm just like, let grown people, grown people, you know. And so that was a huge one for me too. But like, I yeah, when she told me that my blood pressure was normal despite all of the shifts that are happening, and now share some of that stuff with Mandy, and I'm like, I'm just like I was so like, yes, yes, you are figuring it out, Tiffany. You are choosing, Tiffany. You know that you're allowing people to do what they need to do. You are still showing up, you know, in your purpose, and you are focusing on, yes, maintaining your kindness and integrity without this people pleasing niceness that you used to bring with you, because it's harmful to everyone, not just harmful to me, but honestly, it's harmful to people that was being nice to because it props them up for something that's unsustainable, you know. And so like it's just such an interesting space because that's the struggle. I feel like, this is why this this this conversation of how do we show up for ourselves while doing work good work for the community. It's such a hard conversation to have because you know, it's like what do we owe the larger community of black and brown folks and what do we owe ourselves? You know, It's I don't know any other race. I don't know because I'm only black, you know, But I'm like this, do other people carry so much of that heaviness of what we're supposed to do? Because Mandy and I struggle with that, right Like Amani's are our show producer? Because Mandy was like, no, I want a black show producer, you know, and it's just like, because like that's what I'm wanting. So it's like, how many of those types of pushes are ours to have, you know? Versus sometimes it's like I'm just tired.
Speaker 2: So I asked for our show. I didn't go out there and do a whole campaign for every podcast in America to get you know what I mean, I'm like, where can I bother? Someone? Iko? When you were when you were asking that question. The first thing I thought it was when I had my son. My wake up call was the intense postpartum anxiety, Like I needed to rest. Everyone tells you sleep when the baby's sleeping, but I couldn't because of the anxiety, and I couldn't shut my brain off. And you know, I credit coming up with Tiffany in a way, like Tiffany's like my big She's ten years ahead of me in so many ways. And I've gotten to absorb and I've listened to everything Tiffany I said. So when I was building my business these past couple of years, I made such great boundaries when it came to my time and my schedule and charging more so that I wouldn't have to work more, and you know, all these changes. The thing is, what I had to learn is other people haven't always been as as comfortable with the way I operate.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Put my husband on blast. He's very confused about how I can still be the breadwinner and take somebody naps during the week, and I feel a tiny bit of judgment even from him, when he finds he comes home early and I'm like taking my afternoon nap because that's what I do because I pick up that baby from daycare of four thirty and I want to be on. I want to be Times Square Lights on for him. Disney World mom fun Like, I want to give him my everything, and I have to give it to myself first, So I work between ten and two thirty usually for ICO, I show up okay at this time, but it's interesting. And even my mom, my mom, who like I know that the so many and my mom is white actually, and she is still like she can't sit still. Laura Jane, if you're listening to this, I know you listen to the show you hate when I talk about you, But the woman can't sit down. You never got to watch a movie with her because she'd be doing laundry and checking that and getting up and down. And I operate very differently, and even from her, I feel that, like nearly those dishes in the sink overnight, I'm like, yep, and I deserve to sleep. And she's not that kind of person. So if you're in a space where I'm just saying, like, if you're in a space where even other people close to you seem a little uncomfortable with the space you're giving yourself, that that has nothing to do with you, and I don't. I choose not to feel an ounce of guilt about doing what needs to be done for myself. So I keep my monthly massage, I take my naps. I still bring home the damn bacon and it's thick cut. It's not that cheap shit either. It's a good bacon. Like, I'm still bringing it home, and I'm trying not to sacrifice myself in the in the in the middle of it all. Talk to me in a year and maybe it'll be different, But I that was the biggest barrier, that was the biggest challenge for me, was like, wait, y'all don't necessarily want to support me in this, like you judge it a little bit because of issues that are not mine, and I can't carry that with me. And Alsola, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because it's family and origin one and sometimes the people who are right in our space because it's different to them and sometimes it makes them question their own way or how they're showing up and I'm glad that you also mentioned just also parenting or what have you, and even post I had post farms probably with like two years, but all that comes with that, and we just don't get that space to rest to understand, you know, what is going on with us, to be able to address it. I mean, Tiffy, I'm glad that you, you know, went to get medical, you know, help checking up seeing what's happening. I just had a call from a close girlfriend today about a man I'm pre diabetic. What is going on here? And there's so many of us, many of us don't even have a space to get to the doctor's appointment and think about ourselves unless we literally steal it and say I'm worth it and make it happen, because it is not one. We just are in a place where everybody works, right, that's your worth, What are you producing? What are you doing? And then to be a woman, and then to be a black or brown woman and be able to say I'm worth it and I deserve this and I need to do this for me, that's a whole other type of mental trip. To have to push.
Speaker 2: Back on our struggle is just so damn romanticized that's the thing. So what did you do to earn all this? You must have struggled, right, Yeah. I won't name names, but Tiff and I were on a call with a you know, a businessman, and one of the first things he said to kind of like was like, oh, well, you guys know I had a really tough upbringing, like almost like we also must have had one, and that's how he was going to connect with us, you know. And it just I still think about that commonversation and it's like, is that what you think? That's everyone's story that we must struggle. Yeah.
Speaker 1: A woman tell me the other day she was like, yeah, because you know, I grew up in the projects. I was like, oh that's nice. I didn't so anyway, Sis, what are you talking about? And I use the word cis so lightly if you would you know what I mean. I was just like, what is that? Even? That's how you got to connect with me? Like you're black, you must have grown up in the projects. And I'm just like, I mean, no, no, you know, but what is that even? I just I don't even know if people realize sometimes we just be so tidy'll sometimes like oh my goodness, it's so tired. I'm like, I mean literally, I had a woman the other day. I was like sitting in a chair. I was taping some show, and she was like, I thought she was doing my hair. She was petting it, and she even said, oh my god, I'm so sorry. I just love your hair. Don't mind me petting it. She uses the word pet and I pulled away to look at her, and I just was like, do you do.
Speaker 3: You like it's just like in a public class. No.
Speaker 1: I was doing a show, so I was getting my hair and makeup done, and so I was just like, you know, I thought, you know, I was like, okay, the makeup lady and I thought the hair lady was gonna but I was like I always come my hair done because what are you gonna do? You know? So I thought that she was just rearranging it, and I was like, this doesn't feel like that was just like so I looked at it was like, is everything okay? She was like, I just love your hair, don't mind me. I'm just petting it. And I just look like I just I'm like, h'all tied because I'm tired. I go, what do you do?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 3: All the way rewind when you were saying, when some of your clients are saying, hey, but if I actually elevate, I have this razor thin space. And then there's you know, of course I'll hire you go the further you can fall. But there's also what's in that razor thin space. What are all the opportunities that are actually taken away from you to be humane? Because that's what that razor thin space is. So one you know, a certain way, talking a certain way, not being able to make mistakes, not being able to push back and ask certain questions, especially as a woman of color, not being able to hold boundaries. I mean, it's not just that it's a razor thin space. It's about what is all of the humanity, your humanity and opportunities is taking off the plate. You can't even have your hair a certain way without somebody wanting to touch it, or someone meaning what did you mean by that? Having to code twitch constantly. People don't understand the price behind that and even these other things. When you think about the experience of black people in the US, especially if you're thinking about deal, you know, to send us a slave, there is this rooted history of trauma and it is hard for someone to actually accept and think, oh, wait, you had a different experience than me, because I can't even imagine it, because what could that be like? And it's that idea of modeling that this is what it could be like, and this is what you have to do. Are the decisions we may have to make that are different, that could be unheard of. And I know that I have to do constant unlearning because of how I was raised in a low income household in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and what was normal is not what should be normal for everybody. But I have to constantly tell myself that instead of looking at other people's sideways of what you do such a time, or you know, diminishing somebody because they didn't have this experiences considered the black experience, instead of thinking, I'm not trying to rewrite that story for my kids. Are imposting on other people or make them feel less than because they didn't have it? But that takes so much awareness to have to do that, because in the moments I do have these moments aside out like wait what and I have to say, but we do I want somebody else like me to have had that experience I don't want you to have had that experience. I'm glad you did, and that means we're getting closer to having more spaces where all of us didn't have that trauma.
Speaker 1: This was such a nut much needed conversation. Honestly, I just want to thank you so much for coming on, for pulling out of us like what so many of us are thinking and feeling, which is this diversity inclusion. Work starts within to decide what is it that you're wanting. It really starts with you. It's not external work. You know. That's the biggest takeaway that I took away. That is truly internal work. And you work from that place. If you don't have to solve every problem and fix every issue, and you know that if you do that internal work, and if everybody did that, you know that's how we moved the needle forward. So we just want to thank you for coming, thank you.
Speaker 3: For having me. Tiffany and Mandy. I appreciate it, and I actually appreciate you all just modeling and speaking these things over and over because more of us need to hear it, more of us need to see people doing it and modeling it for us to even think it's possible to live a different way.
Speaker 2: Thank you, koh. Where do you want people to find you? Send them to your website? What are we plugging? Tell us everything?
Speaker 3: Thank you. So website is rare r A r E Coaching dot net or on LinkedIn I coopathea or on Instagram at where are a r E Underscore Coach.
Speaker 1: We will follow all of that in our social media, I mean our description show notes.
Speaker 3: So okay, thank you again. Thank you both for having me here and also for the work that you all do and the honesty. I really appreciate the honesty.
Speaker 1: That's what. If there's one thing we were here is honest. Someone who forget I'll be at the shop write and someone be like, girl, I heard you. I'm like I said an me.
Speaker 2: There public floor specialists the other day and I'm like, oh, I did talk about how I have a week bladder.
Speaker 1: Okay. So because me and Manny we're just usually just talking to each other in an honest way because we're friends, like you know, for real in real life, and so it allows us to be honest, and so people get like a peekin to like what that's what that's like?
Speaker 3: So thanks, so thank you again for lighting me.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for making it happen. Ico, take care you head into the nap to nap now. Heyba fam, we could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission Podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Imani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech guru, and I am Bandy Woodard Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week.