Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right, a really talented guy. I really hope you listen to the next hour with Danny Parkins's Chicago radio host and the most talented sports talk radio host I think out there right now. And at his age, which is younger than I would hope for. I was hoping he was old and beat up. But he's young and great and he'll come on our show today to talk to the Bears, the draft, radio, his book, all that stuff. Before we get to Danny, I want you to grab your smartphone and download the game Time App. It takes ninety seconds. We've talked about this multiple times. The game Time App. It's the fastest and easiest way to buy great seats to sporting events, theater, comedy concerts. They have details. You can buy tickets not only right up to the game, but an hour after a game starts. You get stuck in traffic, you're late, you want to get tickets hour after it starts. You can still use the game Time App and get your tickets. It's the best place to find last minute seats. They have zone deals. You picked the seats for big time savings. So download the game Time App. The redeem code that's me redeem code Colin Coli in twenty dollars off your first purchase. I think it's the best thing out there to get last minute tickets game Time app twenty bucks off. The code is Colin download game Time today. Please do that last minute tickets lowis price is guaranteed always.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I first heard of Danny Parkins from Nick Wright, who had said, Hey, I work with this guy. And you know, Nick had introduced me to two or three people, A couple of them were just obnoxious and annoying, and then he introduced me to Danny and told me to listen to his show, and so I fashioned myself as some sort of talent scout. Obviously not, but since I started the volume, I really enjoy it, and so I said, oh shit, this guy's really good. And then I go to Chicago regularly and listened, and I thought, Wow, this guy's about the best young guy I've heard in the country, because I, you know, I've been listening to sports talk radio forever and he's come out with a new book which feels like an intellectual exercise, which I think is really important in our business, because sports radio can be, on our best days, somewhat mindless. It's called pipeline to the pros. He's Danny, you're a really good writer. How d three small college? Nobody's rose to rule the NBA. And I'll get to that in a second, but it it does look a little bit. And when I wrote a book, it was sort of like, you know, I just wanted to prove to everybody I wasn't a radio idiot completely. But I want to start with something else. I think because I listened now to sports radio, and you and I contend New York, Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Philly is better sports talk radio than Los Angeles. That's not a personal attime on anybody. I do think they're really talented people in LA. But when the weather's good and there's lots of options, people bail on teams very quickly when they're not good. But the hud Levels and the Buffalos and the New York Chicago, Detroit, you stay indoors and you watch your crappy teams, and you've got strong opinions, and you know that fosters sort of sometimes resentment and ankst with your teams.
Speaker 1: In LA.
Speaker 2: If I turn to sports talk radio, there's a fifty to fifty shot. It's guy talk, which doesn't really interest me. So that's my kind of theory on it. Kansas City is another really good sports talk radio market where you came from. Do you buy into my theory.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent? I've got some friends, including Nick Wright, and by the way, thank you for not characterizing me as obnoxious, even though maybe don't know each other well enough, because some definitely would. Nick worked in Houston, our buddy Mike Meltzer worked in Houston, and it's not a great sports radio market, but you would think that it would be because there's so much traffic and they love football, and football dominates sports radio. But there's two shares that they're getting because there's just other things for people to do. Warm Weather Miami, they are great shows that have come out of there, great talents that have come out of there. They don't get any numbers. I would put Cleveland on the list great sports radio markets. They pull huge numbers in Cleveland, love the teams. Minneapolis pulls huge numbers on kfans. So yeah, I think there's a ton there and it'd be really nice to live in a place where you could go outside. But today it's snowed in Chicago. In April. So we're supposed to talk about baseball in the radio. I'm like, I don't know, it feels like football weather today.
Speaker 2: Well, you know when so I did sports radio for a while and then I wanted to create mostly out of survival. When I was at ESPN, I said, guys, I've got to create a simulcast. AM radio is not a dynamic next ten year horizon. And so ESPN did not think I was talented enough to be on ESPN two. Apparently, so I said, all right, all jettis in this place. I do appreciate it, and things have gone well. But when I went to television, I always did a show with a lot of football. But I think I have moved in the direction of more football. Part of that is when you can see a TV number every day, you see what's working and you see what's not, and football almost almost works. Secondarily, though big beat small scale beats up boutique, the NFL makes everything now look small. I think it's well run. I think sports gambling helps. I think it's better on television. I think other leagues have made mistakes. One and done is hurt college basketball mends. Anyway, what percentage of your show mind about seventy percent NFL. I don't want to be in the NFL network, I pushed back. I've talked to a lot of college basketball in the last two three weeks. What percentage of yours is NFL.
Speaker 1: Obviously it depends on the time, right, I mean, we were Cubs Opening Day, We're doing a ton of Cubs. Were the home of the Cubs. But even leading into that, the Bears have been the dominant storyline with the last two years having the number one overall pick. They're the biggest story in the NFL for the offseason, so obviously they're the biggest story here. So even with a two team town, there's only three cities that have two baseball teams, Baseball on the radio was still incredibly powerful. You know, the Cubs are the biggest client to my radio station, six seventy four by far. We're still and I wish the number was higher. My co host is a bigger baseball guy. It's over fifty percent for football, even in opening day week with two teams in town, because it's all about Caleb Williams and the ninth pick and are the Bears on the come and all of that, and the other thing at least in this market. That I would say is football's the great unifier. When I was growing up kid in the nineties in Chicago, the Bulls were king. The Blackhawks weren't even on TV, but there were people that were Blackhawks fans and not Bulls fans even at that period of time, and certainly when they had their dynastic run with three titles, the Hawks kind of overtook the Bulls as being the toughest ticket in town and that sort of thing. Cubs and White Sox split, Blackhawks and Bulls split. Everybody cares about the Bears. Everybody has an opinion on the Bears. And for the national side of it, yes, sports, gambling, yeah, fantasy, But I think like the simplest way to explain it is that it's every game matters. It's one of seventeen and no other league has that. If I miss Bulls Hawks, and I don't talk about it on the show the next day, we don't get a single text call or tweet being like, hey, you missed this really important thing. Because if a really important thing happens, I see about it on social media, it cuts through. We talk about it. But if you came on the Monday after a Bears Packers game, or a Bears Lions game, or a Bear's Jaguars game, or a Bears Bucks game, whomever. Even if they were five and ten and you didn't do four hours on the Bears game, the ramifications who played well, who didn't, who's going to get fired, who's going to get extended? All those things, people would think you were insane. So it's the great unifier. And the thing that it has is that every game matters, and the rhythm of it, I think is great. You play a game on Sunday, you react on Monday. The coach and the quarterbacks speak on Monday, and quarterback speaks on Wednesday. You start looking ahead to the next game. Then there's a Thursday night game. Teams in your division matter. It's just for local sports, radio, national TV. There's just such a great rhythm of football.
Speaker 2: I feel lucky a lot of times. What I like mostly is what the country likes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a growing interest in soccer over the last decade. My mom was British. I went to England as a kid, got a little soccer set. The World Cup was going on at that time. Johann Kroif England I remember Netherlands was great, England was great, and then in the Northwest soccer was around me, the Sounders, the Timbers. University of Portland had a great program. So I've always been more I a soccer fan than the average person. I try to invest in the MLS twice, but I'm not Tony Robbins or Magic Johnson.
Speaker 1: At Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love NFL. I really really like college football. I really really like the NBA March mad March Madness is fun. And I do like an occasional fight, now more UFC than boxing, but an occasional fight a Saturday night, I'm going to tune in and buy the UFC card. So are you aligned with the audience or do you have to sometimes go I don't care about this, I'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: That is the baseball part of it. It's not that I don't care about baseball. I grew up, you know. I'm twelve years old in Chicago in nineteen ninety eight. Jordan is completing the third, the second three p and Sammy Sosa is hitting sixty six home runs and saving baseball. I love the Cubs. I grew up a Cubs fan. I'm invested in it. But I can't say that I care about a bullpen to decision in a game in May. Yeah, and one of one's sixty two and the minutia of it, I just I can't yea and so that. But that is a necessity in Philly sportstock Radio, Chicago sportstock Radio, New York sports talk radio, we do do some of that. And that is the part that I mean, if that's the part that feels like work. Okay, I'm not on the side of a road. I'm not welding. I'm not you know, I still love my job every day. But there definitely is an element of, man, this is a little bit of an effort. Boog Shambi's terrific play by play guys, a buddy of mine's the voice of the Cubs locally, does a lot of stuff nationally, calls the World Series nationally for ESPN Radio. Him and I were talking about it one time and he had a great point about it, said, you know, if they were creating baseball today, they wouldn't say one hundred and sixty two games like it makes no sense. But they'll never They'll never go back because and people always because the numbers and the that's because of money. Like we're recording this, the Cubs are getting ready to play a game. It's thirty eight degrees and it was snowing today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I had this argument years ago. I said, if I think I did a segment or two on it. I said, if sports started today, baseball wouldn't make it. You say, okay, one hundred and sixty two games, slow pace, no real clock, although they have it now, multiple pitching changes, any little weather delay, they'll cancel it. Sometimes. Other times you'll sit in a stadium for three hours. You'd be like, yeah, that doesn't work. It's not very riveting. On TV. You would have UFC, NFL, NBA, college sports. You'd probably always have golf because it's an event and it's infrequent. The Olympics, it's an event. It's infrequent. But I do think I will say this. I think Fox, the company I work for, I think they have the right baseball. They have postseason baseball, and that's what I care about. I can I can flip a switch a little bit on baseball and really deeply care if the Yankees or the Braves or you know, the Cubs World Series.
Speaker 1: I didn't miss a pitch of course. I mean it was one of the greatest sporting things in my life that I've ever watched. And people are crying, and people are listening to the game on the radio in a cemetery next to the headstone of their father, you know what I mean. There is a connective tissue of baseball. There's a romanticism to baseball. There's a comfort of baseball that I do like and appreciate, and the history and how much it matters locally. And people say baseball is dying. I do think the new rules have really helped it. Yes, but also it's a twelve billion dollar industry. It's not dying. It's just football makes its billions with one hundred dollar bills. Baseball makes its billions with singles and fives. Right, It's regional. It's a local thing. Your local TV deal matters. How much money you spend on tickets locally really matters. The NFL. All that matters. These NFL stadiums are television studios. They make their money from Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN, Amazon, That's how the NFL makes its money. Baseball, the Cubs make their money from Wrigley Field tickets sold at Wrigley Field and the Marquee Sports Network, and that's why it's very different. The White Sox play eight miles south. Their economic situation is very different. They're in a huge market, but not as many people go and not as many people watch on TV same sport. So it's just a It's a sport of haves and have nots. A lot of it's archaic. I am drawn still to a ton of it, but that's more based on tradition and where I was born than like the current product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I also think there are you know, I think sports is in a really good space for a lot of reasons. I think college basketball's got some challenges because of One and Done, but the ignite league that went or the unite team that left probably helps a little. Nil probably helps men's college basketball a little. I do think the NBA, and I'm a huge fan, So I'm going to Nick's Bulls Friday night in Chicago. So I love Yeah, I love the NBA.
Speaker 1: There are always at Bulls games in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm buying a Bulls Blackhawks concert season ticket. My wife and I are this weekend, so we go to Chicago a lot, and it's an easy flight. And she loves Chicago and she loves going out. She really likes going to NBA games. She really likes fights and NBA games and concerts.
Speaker 1: It's a great wife. She likes fights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I order UFC cards. We got a group getting together for UFC three hundred and a couple of weeks, but not at my house. Well, I was like, you want to do that, okay, fine, but either when I'm out of town or you go to your buddys. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my wife is flying into Vegas to go to the UFC three hundred with me. And what's interesting is my wife doesn't love sports, but she likes events and she likes, hey, let's go get a cocktail, let's go out to dinner, let's dress up. It's fun. And she'll ask a million questions, but she kind of has a sense of it and she likes the event of it. And the NBA games are an event. Uf season event. She couldn't get my wife to a baseball game or a football game in the snow. There's not a chance in hell, you know. So she's not a sports fan, but she's aware of it, and she asked the right questions if she asked a question, it's like, oh, yeah, that's a thoughtful question, and hopefully I'm a sportscaster and have most of the answers. But I would say this, I do, and I think sports in a great spot. I do think it's easier to be a harsh parent and get soft. It's much harder to be a soft parent and then pretend to get tough and your kids roll your eyes at you. The NBA has always been a player's league. I do think they've crossed a line. The load management to be is outrageous. Base hockey doesn't do it, and they have eighty two games, and those guys are kicking the shit out of each other and have no teeth and it's hockey. By the way, if you've ever gone into a hockey locker room in between periods, drafter, the smell.
Speaker 1: Is, Oh, it's disgusting.
Speaker 2: It is mildew meets perspiration meets death. Those guys work harder than any pro athlete.
Speaker 1: Colin I lived when I graduated college in two thousand and nine. Moved in to an absolute shithole of an apartment by Wrigley Field, about a block and a half away, with four buddies that I've been friends with since third grade. And so already we're it's five twenty two year olds, twenty three year olds in an apartment that we could afford a block and a half from Rigley Field. It's disgusting. Now add in that two of the five were big time hockey players, like state champions in our high school, played college club hockey, and so they would play in men's leagues and they would come back with their uniform and their pads and their hockey sweaters or whatever, and like dumping in the on the back deck. You could smell it in the front room and the house. It is so disgusting. But yeah, Hockey Live by the Way is great. It's a great time because if you're like, oh, i've ice skated before, i've skied, I consider myself mildly coordinated. And then you go out there and you see these guys are two hundred pounds and they're shooting the puck one hundred miles an hour and they're hitting each other on blade. So it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: In my take is they play, they play hard, they drink, they sex. I mean, hockey guys are legendary for they play hard, they fight, they sex, they drink, rinse and repeat.
Speaker 1: Complete degenerous yes, and we love them.
Speaker 2: The best of the best of Europe represented in Canada and the United States. The NBA guys often on a Saturday night. Yeah, I'm gonna take a night off. I think it's egregious. I think it's hurting the league. I think it's a cautionary tale what you're seeing with lower quality in men's basketball and massive ratings. You're giving us, You're giving us effort. And I'm an NBA guy, so I'm not here. There's a lot of people out there that are dishonest. They're they're not they're not fair actors. I think it's a real Mark Cuban sold his team. I think Mark Cuban sees it.
Speaker 1: So when we watched the NBA playoffs last year, it was like, holy shit, this is a different sport. Because I watch I don't know seventy of the eighty two Bulls games live. I'm a big Bulls fan. We're the home of the Bulls. Good NBA City. We talk about them, and they're bad. They're the ninth seed this year, they're the ninth seed last year. But I watch a ton of NBA. I stay up late and watch West Coast NBA on Tuesday night to watch whatever the game is. I wrote a damn book about the NBA. I love the league, but they very clearly flip a switch come postseason in time, and it's kind of insulting. Yes, and it doesn't mean that they're not a thousand times better and more skilled than at any point in the history of basketball, and that it's still a better caliber of basketball than college basketball. But when you know, even if I can't really tell, and I could see Steph Curry drop fifty on a given night and you can see, you go to an NBA game in person, you'll see something amazing, which is another reason why it kicks the shit out of baseball. Because you go to random baseball game, it's three nothing, You see nothing that's impressive. What the hell did I do other than have some beers in the sun. But you go to any NBA game, you're gonna see something amazing because because honestly, even if the top three or four guys sit out and you're disappointed because that's the guy who's jersey you wear, there's more than three hundred good basketball players in the world. You know what I mean. So like the eighth, ninth, or tenth guy on a team that never gets any run can come in and drop twenty five or drop thirty, or can do a windmill dunk or whatever. But I think when we see the switch being flipped in the playoffs, it's insulting to our sensitibilities.
Speaker 2: So it's twenty twenty four and let's talk about something really really important. If you're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan to America's largest injury law firm, and they are there for you. Over one hundred offices nationwide. Think about that, more than one thousand lawyers with over twenty billion. That's a B twenty billion dollars recovered for over five hundred thousand clients. Things happen in life unexpected. Submitting an injury claim with Morgan and Morgan is really really easy. Like winning in the NFL is hard. We know that quarterbacking in the NFL is hard, submitting a claim is easy. You're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. For more information, go to for Thepeople dot com, slash Colin, or dial Pound Law from your cell phone. Pretty easy. That's for the people dot com, slash Colin or Pound law, pound five to nine from your cell Morgan and Morgan has a proven track record of fighting for you to get a full and fair compensation if there's an unexpected accident in your life. This is a paid advertisement. We'll get to his book in a second. This is Danny Parkins, co host of Parkins and Spiegel Show in Chicago. It's a very, very good show, and Danny, to me is probably the most talented young sports talk radio host in the country. He's got kids, he's not that young, but he knows my admiration for it. And I felt that about Nick Wright before I had heard Danny. And the book is pipeline to the pros, which we'll get to. I'm not putting it off because it's really well written. And no, I'm not talking to you. I'm talking about my audience is probably saying, get the goddamn book, Cowherd, nobody cares about you.
Speaker 1: No, No, I worked that little extra plug in to give you my NBA bona fides. And by the way, can I because we do not do a ton of Jordan v Lebron goat stuff, it obviously comes up. But it's like a little bit like taboo to do it locally. It's like it's a little hacky. It's like Pete Rose, should he be in the Hall of Fame. But I get why it drives a lot of conversation nationally. Can I tell you the thing that doesn't get mentioned enough nationally because it's germane to this conversation we're having. Okay, congratulations to Lebron for longevity, for spending a million dollars a year on your body and a wild night out being splitting a two thousand dollars bottle of red wine. Jordan was doing it.
Speaker 3: With thirty six holes of golf, ten miller lights, a run at the blackjack table, gambling debt, and like sweating out tequila and he was dropping forty and he was playing every damn night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so can we grate on a curve of degeneracy for the era? Please? Like that? That's the thing that no one talks like. Yes, the skill is better, the competition is better Lebron. You know, as an underdog he loses in the finals, he wins. Whatever. I understand. Lebron is amazing. I'm not trying to take away from him. But I'd like to see the guy play thirty six holes of golf and then go drop forty five with the next I'd like to see it. I'm not sure that he could do it.
Speaker 2: No, we all meet guys. I had a friend one time. He would go to South Carolina in the summer and he would He didn't have a ton of money, so I do like a three day vacation. He would golf thirty six holes three days in a row, get bombed each night, and I'm talking ninety four degrees in the heat, and I'm like, bro, I'm nine holes on Friday out two Miller lights. I'm out. Some guys and Jordan was one of them have this relentless genetic thing. And I've gone to college with guys they could drink all night long, no hangover. And Jordan, to me, is one of those athletes that is once in a lifetime that did not treat his body with a great deal of love and admiration. And just when I saw the MJ story and he before the Eastern Conference games with the Celtics, He's getting in eighteen holes in the sun, I'm like, that's my day. I'm having dinner at five I'm out.
Speaker 1: Guy had pregame steaks, he smoked regularly. He mixed booze all the time, beer and liquor, like it is insane. And these guys they're like, oh, we've invested in a wine company, Like think we have an in house Somalia for the Miami heat. Awesome, awesome. I respect the professionalism, but then you also take off when oh man, they have a two day stayover in South Beach, So guys are gonna take off. No, no, no. Jordan would close down the club in South Beach and then go drop forty.
Speaker 2: I always felt this about Johnny bench best catcher ever, not just because I think he's the best catcher ever, Astro turf gear.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: By the way, back then, a lot of day games he would. Now Bill Plummer was the backup, so he didn't do both games of a doubleheader, but he would do Friday night in Cincinnati, Saturday, National TV Sunday. Steve Garvey told me it was so hot in Kansas City and Riverfront. Now he was a National leaguer, right Dodgers, he said, Pittsburgh, Philly and Riverfront. You'd have to put lettuce in your shoes to keep it cool. He goes one time in Philadelphia, his cleat stuck to the turf and Johnny Bench had that gear on and would go three for four with two jacks. Game goes twelve innings and he is catching the fourth threads pitcher. People have no idea baseball players in the seventies to about eighty five it was one hundred and forty degree field in the Midwest.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, and I listen, I mean different eras too. I mean guys would have like bags of cocaine fall out of their pocket on the base paths. You know what I mean, Like just like what they would do. Like if you go and bry the way it's why. Also if you go back and you watch a game from the nineties, like, oh it was better, Eh, what's likely They weren't more skilled, they were slow over and three to fifty percent of the guys were hungover. So now it really wasn't better. But there is an element of nostalgia to it and an amount of respect.
Speaker 2: So I don't spend any time on social media. Some of that is simply because I have a staff at the volume. I'm very fortunate and a pretty hearty staff at FS one. I you know, my kids are not on it. My son never is on it, my daughter infrequently but used to be. Not anymore. But I wow, yeah, it's it's pretty toxic. So, you know, I think about this because one of the things about our business, and I don't get many people on that. I got to talk about the business, which is why I'm doing it now. Because you're you love radio. I love radio, and I do think occasionally fans like to just hear how you and I think and talk about this crap. And you know, I'm thinking. One of the criticisms I've gotten through the years and even back to doing local is uh, well, Colin, you said this like six weeks ago, and I'm like, there's new information. And I always say, you know, if a pilot came to you and said, folks, we got a lightning storm that's moved in, and he said, but I'm gonna fly right into it, there's there's no reason to deviate. I've got two hours ago there wasn't and I'm gonna fly into it. You'd be like, oh shit, I'm going to cancel my flight. So I didn't like Ryan Poles initially Vlus Jones. I watched them at USC could not track the ball. I mean that, I literally text you GMS and I'm like, he doesn't know what he's doing. That that he can't play, he's a point that he can't play. So but I watched USC maybe more than Ryan Poles. And then there was the Chase Claypool, which I defended because of the body type, but Chase ended up going sideways and not being very mature. And so my takeaway is I don't trust the ownership Ryan Poles, Matt Eberflus and then probably knowing he butchered Velis Jones and knowing that there are certain things about offense like line play, I think he's drafted it pretty well that he knows. He went and got DJ Moore, he went and got Keenan Allen and moved Mooney and I thought, oh, and then he brings in Gerald Everett and he's swift, who's a good he can catch the ball to the backfield, and I'm like, oh, now a new information. I think Ryan Poles knows what he's doing. I think his last six move, I love the Monte sweat move. It got heat. But I'm like, folks, there's nobody in the second round as good as Montes.
Speaker 1: Sweat right, no guarantee you to get him in a free agency, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, But what is the takeaway? Because the Bears eber Flus has been criticized, the ownership has But where is everybody sitting on your GM, which in football is such a substantial position because the rosters are so big and there's so many moves to make.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you could have any grade on him other than an A. It doesn't mean that he's perfect. And you've listed a few of the big misses like Dayles Jones is the first offensive player that he ever selected, But it was in the third round. Teams miss on third round picks all the time. Chase Claypool, it was a panic move. It was I'm trading away Rokwan Smith. I'm trading away Robert Quinn. I'm carrying the most dead cap space of any team in the league. But I am trying to be fair to Justin Fields, who is an eleven out of ten as a person, and I'd like to figure out if I have something here. I've got to give him something. And he overtraded for the traits of Chase Claypool, and I think he undervalued the personal stuff because then when he learned the mistake from that and he trades for Montes Sweat, there were a lot of people saying, trade for Chase Young off, that defense line, more talented, better pedigree player, all of that stuff. But he loafs, he takes plays off. But in Montes Sweat, whatever he's got, he's given it to you. And so I think he that is a director because it's the exact same trade. It's a second round pick for an established player that you're hoping to pay. They paid Montes Sweat, they obviously didn't pay Claypool. So I think also with anything learning, proving that you learn from your mistakes and that you don't double down, that's a sign of intelligence to me. So to me, like it's like, yeah, did it start a little choppy, no question. But he also inherited one of the oldest teams in the league with a ton of bad contracts, a quarterback that someone else drafted, no first round pick in his first year, so his first draft picks are second round picks, both of whom, by the way, pretty good. Kyler Gordon and Jakwan Brisker, two guys who are starters in one of the best young secondaries in football. Then when he gets a first round pick, a lot of us are saying, Jalen Carter, Jalen Carter, Jalen Carter, you need a three technique for this defense. He moves down from nine to ten, picks up an extra fourth round pick, drafts Darnell right right tackle to support the quarterback. He makes all rookie team, looks like he's going to be a starter at right tackle for ten years. And then the biggest thing by far, and the sweat one was big, and the Keenan Allen was big. Is he trades the number one overall pick and picks the right team to trade to gets DJ Moore gets the second round pick, that is Tyreek Stevenson, another starter at cornerback who was really damn good last year. Gets the first round pick this year, which is going to be you know, Caleb Williams, a once in a generation quarterback prospect. He has their second round pick next year from Carolina and oh yeah, by the way, Dj Moore. So it's one of the great I mean, people will reference the Herschel Walker trade. It is truly one of the great trades in my I NFL history. If Caleb Williams is everything that you and I in the vast majority of people think that he will be, They've got a very good cap situation. They've got very good players in their athletic prime. Jalen Johnson, Tremaine Edmunds, Montes Sweat, Cole Comet, Dj Moore. These guys are all twenty five, twenty six, twenty seven years old, under contract, good players on rookie deals. Brisker, Gordon Tyreek, Stevenson, Darnell Right, Tevin Jenkins, who I hadn't mentioned. And now you're going to inject the ninth overall pick whoever he ends up taking, And there's a ton of great options, and Caleb Williams in a good quarterback on a rookie deal. The Bears should be set up under Ryan Poles for a really long runway of success here.
Speaker 2: I can't be the only person that has noticed Matt Eberflus, the coach, has changed his look. What's up with that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he credits his wife and daughters. And it's very weird because when Matt Eberflues talked before the beard and the little product in the hair, he sounded really dumb. And now He's saying the same things with like designer hoodies and a beard and a little scruff and a little product. And I'm like, a Flues has some swag. There's like, like, my my coach is like, I'm eflusiastic. I'm like, that's a really corny dad joke, but I I perspect it. Uh. He's like for some real he's like sitting courtside next to handsome Matt Lefloor and I'm like, Oh, which is the more handsome NFL head coach? Is it Matt Floor? Is is it Matt Eberflues? Like he's carrying himself with a little swag. My problem with Eberflus, Yeah, A couple of assistant coaches, including his defensive coordinator who he brought over, Alan Williams, left in disgrace. I don't like hiring a defensive coach. I'm biased to offensive coaches because it's just sustained success. I think it's the best way to foster an environment for a quarterback. My thing was when you hit the lottery of getting the number one overall pick for Caleb Williams. Are you really telling me that the best possible person to develop him is Matt Eberflus and Shane Waldron or would Jim Harbaugh have been better? Or would Ben Johnson have been better? Would Ben Johnson have taken this job instead of going back to Detroit? Because I think this job would be really damn attractive if it was open and they got a pretty good offensive coaching staff, because it's an attractive job and you get to coach Caleb Williams, but you obviously were limiting your talent tool if you're only hiring for coordinator. So that was my issue with how Poles handled the coach. But he swears by him. He swears by the culture, he swears by the effort, and the team did play hard and the defense did get better. Yes, did finish the season relatively strong, and they should be a top ten maybe top five defense next season. So there are reasons to keep him. And he's swaggy now, So that's two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My wife always says that she always my wife has this ability. It's so I don't have it. That she had great funny lines and she can hold them for twelve years and then she'll drop it at the perfect time, and I'm like, where did you hear that?
Speaker 1: She goes?
Speaker 2: Oh, I heard that in eighth grade, and I'm like, I couldn't hold up for fifteen minutes. If I went to out to dinner with you, I would find a way to get it into the conversation, just to impress you. Sure, and so one of the things, you know, like one of her things. She said to me one time and I made a mistake, and she said, honey, you're either right or you're learning. She said, unless you keep making the same mistake, then you're wrong. She goes, you don't make the same mistake much, so you're right or you're learning. I'm like, God, I gotta steal that. The other one she said to me when we started dating about three years in, I was not a very good dad or something. I made a mistake and she goes, be a great example or a horrible warning. Kids learn from both. I'm like, we're going to do a book now this come on, You're just you're holding shit now over me. It's like Joel Ostein meets Tony Robbins. Where's this stuff coming from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a philosopher who loves the UFC. Where did you find this unicorn?
Speaker 2: So she is big? Speaking of eber Flus, she is always She is big on current. Her big line is with everything, your career, your look, just stay current. She said. You know, musical acts they look backwards. And I've always had a thing where I always say I'm a windshield guy, not a rearview mirror guy. Most of that, I didn't have a traditional upbringing. But I think the point with Eberflus and I think we've talked about this in our careers. You and I may have grown up baseball fans. We shifted to NFL fans and sports talk gambling topics because that's where the that's where the audience went. It is how comfortable I am comfortable with sports gambling. The distorted or the disturbance rates one percent. It's six percent for alcohol.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 2: The people that go sideways DraftKings told me very early it's four dollars per bet. That's literally what the average bed is. So it's hard to break your family. Yeah, but there are some do gooders, some you know, you know, there's the kind of precious sports media out there often that said gambling is the end of society. You're a guy that is, I believe a poker player. You're very mathy like Nick wright, you'd be a lawyer if you didn't do this, or a financial guy right like you guys are both very mathy. Of course I would never give my money to Nick because of the black and tans or whatever he smokes. He gets a sidon miles. Yeah, he gets sideways very quickly.
Speaker 1: You see, he's been quitting smoking for twenty years while wearing a nicotine patch and buying cigarettes individually. Yeah, individually stopping We're stopping off for a Lucy again. Just buy a pack. It will save us time. You're bumming individual cigarettes from different people at the casino. You could just buy a pack. You can afford it. You're on DV.
Speaker 2: Are you ever uncomfortable talking sports betting?
Speaker 1: No? Uh, I blame my parents. My parents were market people, finance people, and I'm like, that's gambling now. The difference, of course is Nvidia is not going to zero tomorrow, and if I bet the over in the Bears game and it's under that, Beck goes to zero. So obviously there are differences, but it's all just a market. It's a market of expectations, and I find it actually really informative even for people who don't gamble, because they don't just come up with these things randomly sharp better set the lines. And there are formulas and Excel spreadsheets that predict, oh, this guy is gonna have is expected to have this number of yards That might be relevant for if you play fantasy football or just who do you like? You know, there are practical implications to it that I do think are relevant even if you aren't putting four dollars, forty dollars or four thousand dollars on the game. And also, I mean, and this is back to the shop talk, it is supporting the industry. You know it For a while, it was beer, for a while, it was car dealerships. Now it is legalized gambling. And throughout history, prohibition doesn't work. It didn't work with alcohol, it doesn't work with weed, it doesn't work with gambling. I'm not saying that nothing should be illegal, but there's something too. No speed limit on the autobah, you know, like, just in general, people are going to do what they are going to do, and it may as well be regulated and taxed and try to funnel that money into something productive. Are there going to be consequences of it along the way, for sure, But that's why taxes on cigarettes are expensive. That's why if you walk into a dispensary here in Illinois and you want to buy a pre roll joint, it costs way more than it would if I got it from a dude in the you know, my next door neighbor. But I know what it's going to be, you know. So it's the type of thing like it's taxed, it's regulated, you know where the money goes. So no, I have no qualms about it. I've been vetting on sports since I was fifteen years old. I love it, and I'm thrilled that all of my vices are now legal. It's great. Everything's coming up me.
Speaker 2: All right. The NBA season is in full swing, coming down the stretch. Then we move right into the playoffs in April, May and June. I can't wait. Spice things up with Draftking sports book and official sports betting partner the NBA. Right now, all you have to do is put down five bucks and get one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bets. Pretty good trade off. I pay five, I get one hundred and fifty dollars. North Carolina listeners do not forget Welcome to the party. Draftking Sportsbook now live in your state, North Carolina. Download the Draftking sports Book app takes ninety seconds. The code is colin co l I N again ninety seconds. Download Draftking sports Book app. Put in colin. New customers bet five, get one hundred and fifty back in bonus bets instantly. That is the trade code is OHA's colin the crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and WY or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, void and Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See dkg dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms, and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: So the book is Pipeline to the pros. Woes gives it a great recommendation. If you love basketball, you'll devour Pipeline to the Pros. So I'm a couple of chapters in. You're a very, very clever writer, which doesn't surprise me at all. So let's start with this. Tell the audience why you decided to write this book and the connectivity from your family from.
Speaker 1: You, right. So me and my buddy Ben Kaplin, who's the co author on the book. So Ben played D three basketball and I went to Syracuse and he was the starting point guard on our high school team, and I was the guy who's doing the play by play on the radio. We've been best friends since third grade. Nick is my best friend since college. Ben is my best friend since third grade. They were both groomsmen in my wedding. So he came to me and he said, I got this idea. There's a story here. And we've been going to NBA games our entire life, and I didn't know anything about it, about all of these D three guys who had broken into the NBA former Division three players who made its way to being coaches or executives. And when he pitched me the idea, twelve of the thirty teams in the NBA, either their head coach or their top basketball decision maker had played D three basketball, And I'm like, that's insane, And I was drawn to the disproportionate nature of that number. You think cleanest path at that job would be you play at Duke or you play in the NBA, whatever the case may be, right, And so that just instantly fascinated me. And the network side of it, like networking. You go to Harvard Medical School, there's a network of the alums. You go to Syracuse for broadcasting, there's a network of the alums. These guys all know each other and they're all helping each other, and they're hiring their friends. And a few people got in and broke down the door and then they were like, hey, you know a guy, and they started hiring these people. And it has as the league has changed and it's gotten more smart and more analytical, these smart guys from these liberal arts colleges have taken it over. And I was just instantly drawn to like the management and the networking and how some of the lessons in the book I think are applicable to Hey, are you considering a liberal arts education? Like it's a basketball book, But there's a lot of things that are really practically applicable to any walk of life, I would say. And then, just like one more personal anecdote, I didn't I almost didn't take the project on because at the time, my dad was dealing with dementia and my brother had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. And so you have those two things, you have a young son, and you have a pregnant wife with your second along the way, and I'm like, I am spent. I cannot take on anything else. But we you and I think are maybe cut from the same cloth. Like I need more than one thing for my creative outlet. I need to be intellectually stimulated. And it's not that I'm not for my four hour a day radio show, but I've got my ten thousand hours in it. I know how to do this, And so I was like, you know, I would really regret it if I don't partner up with one of my best friends. And then his father ended up getting diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and passing away. So from concept to publishing. We both lost our dads and I lost my brother, and so that's who the book is dedicated to. I'm donating a portion of each book sold to brain cancer research and non or my brother. But like it was a his passion project became our passion project. And he doesn't have a media profile, and it's obviously a niche subject matter. D three guys make it to the NBA. So the book would have never been made if we didn't partner up together with my media profile and all that. So like it. We worked really hard on it for a couple of years, and uh, we're really proud of the final project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can tell you put the time into it. It's not only an intellectual project. It's so deep, it's so smart, it's so thoughtful. And I think you know, you and Nick are very similar. So you Nick likes to prod. He really likes to poke people in the ribs. I don't think you're quite that from what I've heard on your show. But you you you get exhausted. You don't suffer fools gladly. You get exhausted very quick with nonsense. Yes, when when when you you a project like this and you go through all this drama, and I mean, what was Nick's first react, because I know Nick read it. I know Nick so proud of you. What was his first reaction to it? Because Nick is so competitive and he loves you dearly. He probably thought, I've got to write a book.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I wish you know, he got on National TV and I was like, I gotta get on National TV. You have to drive really nice cars. Yeah, you know, that's funny. He he was surprised, really so, he he he was surprised in the not in that I couldn't do it, but that I or that I didn't have the bandwidth for it, but just like the nature of the project. He's like, you're doing what. He's like, you and I talk once or twice. We've never talked about this. I'm like, yeah, man, I don't know. I got a few other interests, like a few other things, like I keep surprising you. So I think that he's like, I figured, if you're writing a book, you're writing a book on gambling, you're writing a book on on media. You know, you're writing a book on something like that. So I think, like the research nature of it and the depth of the project. But again, like I have to credit my friend for bringing me the story, and so this is a thing of opportunity. But yeah, him and I are always coming up with Nick and I are always coming up with like we should do this, We're going to do this together. And we've done a lot of those things, like you know what I mean, We've we've helped each other throughout our career. We always have big ideas. Sometimes our conversations end up like, oh, we're doing it again. We're spinning this thing forward seventeen permutations into the future, you know. And so when I told him about this, he I think he wanted to know if I was going to tell him about it again or if it was just an idea in the moment. And then damn near three years later we got we got a book out of it. Well, because that's the thing, like we're both doing full time jobs. He has three kids, I have two kids. We've got all this personal track, like we were really doing this, and we knew we weren't like competing. We don't have to be we don't have to worry about being first to market with a D three NBA. But no one else is on this corner give me so, Yeah, Danny.
Speaker 2: Give me a story. Let's do a little tease for the audience. Give me one of the unconventional paths that was very endearing and connected with you.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I mean so. Jeffan Gundy wrote the forward of the book, and he was the perfect person to do it because he hired a bunch of former D three people, including his brother Stan van Gundy. But he was the transfer portal before there was the transfer portal. We are one hundred percent sure that Jeff Van Gundy is the first and only person to transfer from Yale to Menlo Junior College. He then transfers to Nazareth and then he finishes at Brockport. Goes to Yale thinking he playing the IVY League. They say, no, not good enough, We're not even going to let you try out for the team. Goes to Menlo, goes to Nazareth where his dad gets a job. They fire his dad out of loyalty. He ends up at Brockport, so four schools following his for the love of the game, and he is convinced that because short guy, white guy, nerdy guy comes out of Brockport ultimately that he will never get a shot but brilliant dude. Through connections, through camps, grinds, grinds, grinds, works his way up and eventually is on pat Riley's staff with the Knicks, and Riley leaves he'd been there through a couple of different coaches. He's there, He's there for four years. He is named the interim head coach of the Knicks. He is the head coach of the Knicks, and the New York Daily News runs a column that lists back to gambling the odds on who the next full time head coach of the Knicks is going to be. Larry Brown's the favorite, John Kliparis the next favorite. Lou Karnisseca at seventy one years old, is listed at five thousand to one. Red Holtzman, at seventy six years old, is listed as a one million to one to be the next head coach of the Knicks, and Jeff Van Gundy was given fifty million to one odds in the New York Daily News. Well, he is the current head coach of the Knicks to actually keep the job as head coach of the Knicks, and he gets it. He perseveres and between him and his brother, who he hired and Jeff van Gundy, Rich and uh Tom Thibodeau and Steve Clifford and Andy Greer and all these other guys that he brought into the league. It's over a thousand wins between Jeff and Stan van Gundy, a couple of d three guys. Their name is now synonymous with the NBA. So these guys who are the best to do it were doubted when they literally already had the job one more quick one. Greg Popovich maybe the best coach ever. He's a coach at Pomona. Just goes into the Hall of Fame. To April of ninety seven. He is just gotten a three year extension because he was the GM and the coach for a minute. In San Antonio. When the three year extension gets announced, the San Antonio newspaper does a survey of readers, what do you think of the Greg Popovich extension? Ninety two percent of respondents said that Greg Popovitch should be fired in nineteen ninety seven when he was about to become the dynastic Greg Popovich. So these guys, they were overlooked for forever and just through intelligence and being good teachers and good networkers and hard workers, they rose their way up. I could never play in the NBA, I could never play in Major in Wrigley Field or the NFL. But there's something too, like the work ethic and the intelligence and the networking that I was just drawn to the story. And I think we really covered it well.
Speaker 2: It's pipeline to the pros. This is a more personal question, and we can edit it out if you're not comfortable. But you had a very you're a smart guy, and your parents were successful, and you've had a very redeemable career and an ascending career that very few people have in our business. And then your brother and your and father's dying is painful. A brother dying is a whole different story. And this is so personal. How are you equipped? You not that you hadn't had struggle, but how are you equipped to deal with it? Have you been equipped? How difficult? I mean, that's I can't. I mean, I get emotional not knowing your brother. I don't know how I wouldn't be equipped.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's that's that's a good question. Brad was diagnosed with glioblastoma June fifth of twenty twenty. My son, my first son, Owen, was born at thirty one week, so he was born nine weeks premature. January seventeenth of twenty twenty. We all know what happened in March of twenty twenty. I remember vividly saying to my wife in call it April, no, no, no, no, excuse me. It was like June first, I don't know that I can take anymore. It was just super stressed, money stress, pandemic stress, new baby stress, feeling over my dad's dementia diagnosis was it was, it was ugly Alzheimer's. It's a terrible, terrible, horrible disease. I was like, I honestly don't know that I can take any more. Three days later, my brother gets diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. You just learn that you can deal with more than you expect, and it hurts if you stay in bed, and it hurts if you get up, so you may as well get the fuck up. Like that's what I've learned. If I've learned anything, I have cried, I've been in therapy. I have definitely not handled everything perfectly throughout this process, but I have learned that it hurts either way, so you may as well keep going because your world can change with a phone call tomorrow. So I don't know if that answers your question, but I would not have said that I was equipped to handle it. And it still devastates me every day that my brother is in here, but somehow I'm still here and I'm doing what I'm doing well.
Speaker 2: I first of all, I appreciate you answering that it's probably too personal, but I also think I knew you'd go to a place because you're so capable that somebody who's listening to our podcast and dealing with a very similar situation in the family. And when I heard your story, it made me think about a friend I had years ago in Vegas that lost his wife. And so first of all, I thank you for sharing that, but it's you know, it goes back to a saying I it's kind of a cliche, but we've heard it before, as you just never know what people have gone through in a day. Just be nice to people. I know social media does not elevate the life experience. It deteriorates it. That's why I stay away.
Speaker 1: So that was a.
Speaker 2: Pretty remarkable answer, and I do, Danny, I appreciate that, and I don't want to end on this because you're you're not a down or you're you're it's a really raw topic and I thought it was I wanted to hear. I wouldn't have been equipped. I don't know how you would have handled it.
Speaker 1: And I guess I think you probably would have been, but you don't know until you're confronted with it. And I'm glad that you haven't been, and you don't want anybody to to deal with it, and and I you know, grief is hard, man, Grief is really hard, and yeah, it is. It is a downer, but it is relatable. Yeah, there's a there's a thing called anticipatory grief, which I didn't even know about. But it's like when you get a terminal diagnosis and then you're like grieving and you're like waiting for the actual person to die, and you think, like you have you you're dealing with anticipatory grief, Like you know eventually your dad's going to pass away, he has Alzheimer's. You know your brother's going to pass away, he's got terminal brain cancer. Uh, and then it happens and it's like, oh, it doesn't actually replace the real grief, so you just deal with it. And because you have literally no other choice. But I don't know. Man, buy a book, I'll donate a portion of it to brain cancer research.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's such a thank you, it really is. So we're thank you you bet. I want to circle back. Is that Chicago to me is I kind of feel Chicago people. There is a divide. Sometimes it's financial, sometimes it's in reach, obviously, between syndicated, national and local. I think local sports radio is much better than national sports radio. And I think you're at the top of the heap. And I say that the best show I've ever heard. I think you're the best talent doing it in the country. I think Felger and Mas and Boston have the ability to be in a in a very tribal town, incredibly honest and hated and adored simultaneously. It's a really good listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pull huge numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a I used to as I was, you know, crafting this scrawny physique. I used to sit in my my downstairs in my weight room and just sit there and I would watch them for, you know, an hour. Chicago is to me, it's just everything I watch on TV. Local TV still matters. It looks like syndicated, it looked like national. It's I mean, Lester Holt, I think came from Chicago. My buddy Joe Donlin's an anchor in Chicago. I think he's as good as local anchor as you're going to get in the country Chicago sports radio. To me, I love listening to it because it's just the perfect mix of tribal, smart insane. Oh yeah, if you have recently taken a rare you're a liked figure the voice, You're tolerant, you're bright, but you are a little bit you kind of moved into a space. As far as I can tell, you were not really a Justin's Fields guy. And the city was you know, of course they're clinging to it working. How the Bears were clinging to it. They wanted to say, we'll get nine picks for Caleb Williams. Everybody wanted it to work. So what is it like now, probably for the first time in your career as being a villain for a few months.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is fascinating. I'm gonna take off my headset for just one second because this will this will make sense. So because this is there is an exact moment when my likability plummeted, and wow, I just have to pull out a prop real quick. I didn't know we're gonna talk about this hold on. So I I commissioned a Caleb Williams thirteen Bears Jersey the day they got the number one pick. So with a week left in the season, and so Justin Fields is still on the Bears. It's been He's likable, he's fun, he's exciting. He was voted the eighty sixth best player in the NFL coming off of the twenty twenty two season when they had the most dead cap space and no one else get on the team. People love Justin Fields, and the Bears did not try him well and it was not fair and they did not build around him. In the situation that Caleb was walking into is a thousand times, but life isn't fair. And I was like, listen, here's the thing. I like hangarsteak, but I've got a chance for eight five wago and it's cheaper for some reason, for some reason, the wago is cheaper than the hangerstake. Like, I'm going to go for it every time. And so when I people were like I, because now everyone's pumped for Caleb. But I was just like, this is how it's going to end. And I told them how it was going to end before they were ready to hear how it was going to end. And if I would have just had the take, people would have really disagreed. But for some reason, the fact that I spent one hundred and forty dollars on a jersey and like became a prop comic for a minute and like showed like I showed you how positive I was that this was how it was going to end. Buddy? Were people mean to me on the internet? Like, man, But so weird about the whole thing is that I'm gonna be right. Like I bet mitchter Bisky at two hunderd to one to an MVP blew up in my face. I said there was a zero percent chance the White Sox we're gonna hire Tony LaRussa blew up in my face. Like I've been wrong plenty of times. We give twenty hours a week of opinions, You're gonna be wrong all the time. But man, did people hate this jersey? But now it's gonna be the number one selling jersey in the NFL for the next like five years. So I'm a I don't know if you knew this. I'm a fashion icon. I'm a trendsetter. I'm ahead of the curve. People are dressing like me now, and I frankly love it. But yeah, did I have it on my board that the thing that would make me most hated is the thing that I have been the most right about. No, that I did not expect that to be my how my career is gone. But now people are being pretty nicecause they're prety excited about Kaleb Boyams.
Speaker 2: Should be pipeline to the pros D three small college. Nobody's rose to rule in the NBA ben Kaplan Danny Parkins, forward by Jeff N. Gundy. I say this authentically and accurately and with one hundred percent belief. I think you're how old you now? Forty two, forty three, forty What? How old are you?
Speaker 1: I'm thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ. It's disgusting how good you are at thirty eight. It's really such a bummer. I was hoping you were fifty four and this was the years of training and you are really gifted.
Speaker 1: And oh, actually, hey, I'm thirty seven. I turned thirty eight, and I'll tell you're just a jerk.
Speaker 2: Now now you're just piling on it. Anyway, You're great at what you do. I love listening and congratulations on the book, your career, your ascension, and I love you man. I think I just think you're just everything wrapped in empathy, curiosity, Smart's funny and a little bit of a villain. That's okay, it's fun. Lebron didn't like it in Miami, but you know it is. It's part of the merry go round of our life.
Speaker 1: I can handle it and it's just sports at the end of the day, so like I can't. I can't get take it all too seriously. But no, listen, thank you for the kind words and the platform and supporting this and trying to hire me a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: And I'm not done. I'm not done with that. So we'll make another run on that, buddy.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you, Colin.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, the Vine, thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment, rate and review.