Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboys This he's Talking Cowboys Training Live from Dallas Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, Calix Seconds dot Tizon, Contown.
Speaker 3: And now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys Live from training camp in Ostar, California. I'm here with Patrick Walker, I'm here with Clarencehillo the fort Worst Star Telegram. I'm here with Christopher Beemer in the background. I'm Josh Rodriguez. Kyle Yeomans is not here, Isaiah Standback is not here, but we will be reunited once again once we get back home. Anyways, Boys, we had a game yesterday.
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 4: We had a football game yesterday. Yes How do we feel well?
Speaker 3: I mean, first and foremost, I think it's it's no secret I don't give a damn about wins and losses in the preseason feelers.
Speaker 1: I don't give a damn.
Speaker 3: Even a last second heartbreaker, even last second heartbreaker at the hands of a two time national champion.
Speaker 1: Instead submitted, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I really don't care what I care about is the Cowboys leaving these preseason matchups completely whole and healthy. Unfortunately, they did suffer an injury yesterday, which we'll get to in a second. But I also care about evaluation. I'm evaluating these guys, uh and the Cowboys put a lot of players on the field yesterday that gave us a lot to evaluate.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm excited.
Speaker 5: Yeah, preseason never boy wins and losses. You know, we famously remember the nineteen eighty nine Cowboys. They went four and and then then.
Speaker 4: It was they.
Speaker 5: Were winning the Super Bowl. Jimmy and Jerry's first year. They were trying to win preseason games and no one cares. Or the Windless Lions, you know, they went winless. They went four and on the preseason went on sixteen. So the the ultimate outcome of the game doesn't matter. It's how they play and what you see on the field. Evaluation of the players, development, the players that are not necessarily trying to win games, they're trying to put them in situations so you can evaluate. And we got guys in the situations. You got guys on the field who had we hadn't seen since last season, and so that's what you're supposed to take from. Certainly the Preachts and Opener back in the olden days. I'm old now, you know, they did have their dressing hurts for the season. We had the starters go out there in the third preseason game and play a half, and you want to see how they look. They don't do that anymore. Just you know, like that guy's played the Prestons since twenty nineteen, you know, and that's you're not gonna see DeMarcus Lawrence any and the starters in the preseason. So it's really about watch look at these young guys and taking kind of seeing how they're develop and how they can handle these situations.
Speaker 4: Well, before we start breaking on the game, I want to get to some Cowboys news notes and injury updates. Patrick, what do you have for us?
Speaker 3: Well, let's first start with because I don't believe we had a show since the Cowboys executed that trade. So by now you obviously know, ladies and gentlemen. Cornerback Nasehn Wright, former third round pick of the Dallas Cowboys, has been sent to Minnesota and the Vikings in exchange for former second round pick Andrew Booth out of Clemson two time All acc talent, and basically you should look at that the same way you looked at last year's trade between the Dolphins and the Cowboys Kelvin Joseph the South Florida in exchange for Noah Igbonoghany. That was more so a special teams thing. This is the same with the addition of Booth, will have a chance to compete behind Jordan Lewis with guys like Eric Scott, Josh Butler, Kemon Hall for that nickel role. But it also tells me that they are big on what they're seeing with Kayln Carson on that outside boundary protection here in Campain.
Speaker 1: They should be because he is excelling.
Speaker 3: Injury news, Cowboys came out mostly whole, as I stated at the top of the show, but they did suffer one injury that we are aware of right now.
Speaker 5: Chill.
Speaker 3: He started the game against the Rams in the preseason opener. He left with he left the stadium in a boot. I'm being told that it's the big toe on his left foot. TBD on if he's going to be available for the next preseason game or when he will be available back in practice, So of course that thrust rookie first round picked. Tyler got in to the front of that line and he looked sensational and only twenty one snaps.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, I'm glad you I was worried about you pronounced that Noah's names. I'm gladogayh yeah yeah right, yeah, it took it took a lot of practice.
Speaker 4: That that media guy that has that's that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there you go. That trade was about trading somebody one disappointment for another disappointment. It's like last year, somebody's trash for somebody that's without thee respect with due respect was last year. Neither one of those guys on the team they were traded for. You know, Bland is not with.
Speaker 1: The dog I mean, with all due respect insert disrespect.
Speaker 5: From the states out here. But but but that, but that's what I mean. It's disappointment. Okay, draft, But how do you want to call it? They did not live up the expectations with their current team, and so they're trying to see and then but you know, the guy that the Cowboys got back was a higher pick and so you know you want to and he's a higher pick and you want to see what he has. He has you know, another year on his contract. Uh. Regarding the injury, to mean just can't stay healthy and he has not been healthy since has been here. But let's be honest, stop the charade. This raid should have been stopped.
Speaker 1: I would go ahead, stop.
Speaker 5: Bangate off and put the young guy out there. It should have been done. Okay? Can I say that should have been done?
Speaker 4: Should be the starting left We know the starter. You got to earn the star man.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just don't understand why they do that sometimes, especially with the first round pick. Put the dude out there. We didn't do that with macal Parsons.
Speaker 4: Well, we're not doing that with Cooper Baby, not doing that.
Speaker 5: With round pick. You said, it's two different things. He still has to learn how to snap. But you drafted this guy in the first round to replace Tyron Smith as your left tackle. Put him out there, let him get some some chemistry and all that stuff with Tylan Smith. Stopping the charade, and I hate when coaches do that.
Speaker 4: Stop the charade and not to not to compare the players.
Speaker 5: Was a rookie, they didn't do that.
Speaker 4: Well did they do that to Tyrone Smith?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: He was automatic.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, listen, I wanted to be clear because I'm all about receipts. If you go back to I want to say May June, one of those episodes on the junior varsity show Cowboys Break, I actually said that, and it's it's on there, it's on video. I said that, before it's all said and done, I believe Tyler guy and would be the starting left tackle for the Cowboys Week one.
Speaker 1: Of course, all said fort Saw said, hello.
Speaker 5: That's what's on draft day.
Speaker 1: I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I agree that being said, I also know, I also know that the Cowboys and offensive line coach Mike Clarry, their old school ball coaches, they did want him to earn the Star.
Speaker 1: My point being, there are a lot of Cowboys fans.
Speaker 3: Who were asking there's a lot of Cowboys fans who were asking the question, will he be ready? Tyler got in as far as the transitioning left tackle, that was the bigger question. Not necessarily would he be, but would he be ready for that role? And my answer was yes, back in June, and out here we are in August having the conversation, and how you feel the problem.
Speaker 5: Here is that it's not about him earning the Star what is what is done to earn the start at all?
Speaker 1: Say?
Speaker 5: And I agree, but that's the problem, is problem with the mindset he needs to earn it. What is Chuma done to earn it?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that's the tradition. I agree with.
Speaker 5: The trad be different with a veteran star.
Speaker 3: I'm not like I don't like Cranberry so was a veteran, but it'll be there everything.
Speaker 5: But Tuma's done nothing, has never been a starter, never been a start on this team. He does not have it. Why does he have, like, you know, old school you know credit, He don't get no old school credit.
Speaker 3: Old school ball coach will likely always give the nod going into a camp to a veteran and that's basically what you're looking at with that dynamic. But even without Tuma battling health issues, I was of the full belief that Tyler got in would transition quickly to left tackle or back to left tackle, because it's not as if he hasn't played that before. Back to left tackle, and he's done that, and kudos to that young man. Because this summer was spent working with our good friend Duke Miniweather and oil masterminds back in Frisco.
Speaker 1: It was working every day getting it done.
Speaker 3: He didn't take a time off, he didn't go on a vacation to celebrate making it to the team that he's been a lifelong fan of. He was working and it's showing out. It's showing up out here in camping. It showed up in his limited reups against the Reum, and it.
Speaker 5: Should just go back. I mean, that's why we put so much attention on first round picks. When they don't play, Okay, give him every chance to play. Can we go back to Bobby Carpenter? You know he wasn't he didn't start. You know, when they don't play, you know.
Speaker 4: That's a that's an indicative indication that you know, this.
Speaker 5: Guy whatever, if he ain't earned it and you don't put him out to play, give me every chance to be successful a guy you invested in the first round picking. That's say red flag. Yeah, that's I mean, you go, That's why Mozzie's under the microscope this year. That's why Taco charge got so much, you know, brought up to I'm just saying when when Orlando scandals started in front of the first round pick, that was a problem back in what oh seven, whatever that was? You know your your first round pick is supposed to come out of play. Absolutely give him a chance to play.
Speaker 4: We saw him yesterday. We saw him yesterday take some limited snaps. What did we see out of Tyler got in snaps? Limited snaps?
Speaker 1: You know what for?
Speaker 3: Uh, for a guy that missed the previous several practices with an illness, for a guy that wasn't one hundred healthy from that illness when taking the field yesterday, and to see him escorting gentlemen out of the club on certain plays. One play in particular, Cowboys second drive, third and ten, Trey Lance get sprung off to the left side, nineteen yard game, third down conversion. Go back and look at that play and watch Tyler guy and absolutely walk his guy five yards in the other direction to.
Speaker 1: Clear that lane.
Speaker 3: This is a guy that didn't feel well yesterday and didn't practice several practices before. And if that's what you're gonna get from this young man at eighty percent capacity when he's fully healthy, which he will be here soon, imagine what that looks like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was on a pitch count, you know, missed a few days in practice because of you know, illness. You know, they held him out of scrimmage, and certainly his conditioning was an issue, but when he was on the field, he was lights out. He did not have a bad rep.
Speaker 3: He did not did not have a single ball or twenty one reps and each one of those were positive reps.
Speaker 4: Now, looking on the other side of the things, well, just down the line, basically Cooper BB had some snaps as well at the backup center position. How do we feel about Cooper BB and are the expectations kind of coming down a little bit for Cooper BB.
Speaker 3: I don't think the expectations are coming down. I think he's training in the right direction. Yeah, if you look at his snaps yesterday, and for those of us that have been in camp from day one, compare what his snaps looked like day one and training camp versus what they looked like on yesterday. He's getting more comfortable. Is he as comfortable as brock Kaffman there making those snaps? Not quite yet, which is why brock Kaffman is still the starter as we have this conversation. But this Cooper BB making strides in that category. Absolutely he is. And one thing he doesn't necessarily need to make strides in is being able to block and hold anchor and stay in front of guys that looked fantastic yesterday. So still working on the snaps with the blocking is there.
Speaker 5: Well, that's just it. I mean, Brock Hobblin, the cowboy know what he is. He is what he is, ye right, you know, and he's certainly the head of Cooper now because Cooper's basically transmitted to a new position. But as Stephen Jones told me last week, the boys know last week and as you've seen throughout the cap, Cooper's rising. Yep, okay, guy's gonna be I mean, I got him. But Harbin's gonna be here. Cooper's rising, and will he catching by the time Steven starts with to catch him by the third game of the season, We'll see. But Cooper's rising. The upside is there, and that's why you draft him the third round because at the upside you knew from day one he was not gonna be, you know, a finished product as a center. For the first time, snapping with your mama is different, you know.
Speaker 3: First of all, Yeah, we're not gonna pretend mama BV can't take the can't take a shotgun snap.
Speaker 5: She's proved he can't. But it's not about her. It's about what's in front of you. Okay, snaps with the big uglies is they say breathing down your neck, you know, And in either of a game, it's different snapping in the backyard.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody rest what.
Speaker 5: You worked on it. So that's good. It was great video, but it's not the same and we've seen that out of here. So's had problem with some of the snaps and stuff because of that. But it's about getting.
Speaker 4: Comfortable, absolutely.
Speaker 3: And I also add to this, keep in mind, and I've said this before, keep saying it, Cooper BB was a gift. He was a gift the Cowboys were able to flip their late right, well, able to flip that late first round pick. You got Tyler gout and you got Cooper b b out of that deal. So kind of to what Clarence is saying. As far as the pressure that's on a guy like Tyler got in first round pick, it's not necessarily on Cooper BB number one. He's a third round pick, number two. He was acquired in the trade, so he's that added pick, right, So there's a little bit of time there's some grace there as far as the first several weeks, maybe even the first full season for Cooper BB.
Speaker 1: But he's trending in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Like Clarence said, the coaches agree the eye the eye tests, he's passing it. As far as that trajectory, he just needs to continue to work on.
Speaker 5: And what's also true is this, the Cowboys are comfortable playing with Hoffman at center. They're not comfortable playing with Odoga at center. Let's be honest about that. That's not gonna be whening now. Hoffman is not you know, obviously he's never gonna be a Pro Bowl He's not that type of center, but he's solid enough to play with. You know, you're not gonna be playing with you modogas center protecting Dak Prescott's blind side.
Speaker 4: I think as long as you're you're improving over the center play of last season and the season before that, I think over.
Speaker 5: The center played one the first year. I mean, I mean, I don't know if you're gonna get that long term potential is there, But to say that you're gonna be better than Tyler Beads immediately, I don't know that Hoffman is better. I don't know that Cooper BB would be better as a rookie, but potentially over the you know, his career. I think Cooper BB has a bigger upside for sure. That's what the Cowboys are banking.
Speaker 1: On well right now.
Speaker 3: And if you look back to the transition from Connor Williams slash Connor McGovern to Tyler Baddish and now the transition from Tyler Baddish to whomever it might be ultimately brought off in Cooper BB. I do believe long term it'll be Cooper bev. Will that be an instant transition, I don't As far as instant upgrade, I don't know that that's necessarily the case. Is it possible, Yes, it's possible, especially because yeah, that's the goal. And brought Hoffman's credit. He has the demeanor, right, he absolutely has the demeanor.
Speaker 5: It it'd be good. I don't know if he has the demeanor to be better than Beata's. Okay, that that's I mean, that's two different.
Speaker 3: Which which version of the step back last year or the Pro Bowl because we're talking two different versions of.
Speaker 5: I don't know, because he didn't beat in my last year, you know, and and so I don't know that. I mean, you're talking about the guy that has never been given that opportunity, was not drafted for that opportunity. Agree the fact that what he's doing is already a bonus for his career. No one expected out of him, So let's not let's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just not coordinate him right now. What you're saying, I'm.
Speaker 5: Glad you bought Connor Williams up because it's funny because if the Cowboys would have had the foresight and move Connor to center earlier.
Speaker 1: HM sounds like a discussion for another show when the special guest.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, all right, boys, we got to take our first break when we come back. We got to talk about Trey Lance. We got to talk about Trey Lance's performance and some more game breakers from the game last night or yesterday. We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 6: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and t five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, Reliable, Secure.
Speaker 7: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for Dey deals.
Speaker 8: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roaster your self some Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 9: Today. They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school. An inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Bank of America NA Member after I see equal Credit Opportunity lender to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee, the official coffe sponsor of the Das Cowboys. This portion of Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats bring out the.
Speaker 1: Good pause every single time.
Speaker 4: Did you get your Oats? In Claire.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't eat healthy like that.
Speaker 4: You're supposed to be like, Yeah, I got the old Clarence for breakfast. Ohts absolutely bring out the good I.
Speaker 5: Don't really eat breakfast. I should, but I don't eat.
Speaker 1: Clarence is trying to bring off the bed.
Speaker 4: I don't miss a meal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not gonna test that one.
Speaker 4: All right, Uh, we gotta talk. We gotta talk about Trey Lance's first outing as a Cowboys quarterback. What stood out to you and do you see the cowboy the future of the Dallas Cowboys quarterback.
Speaker 3: What I saw from Trey Lance is floading question discomfort. I saw he learned a lot. I saw a lack of trust in what he was seeing out there. There were several occasions where and I'll point out too, particularly fourth down, you're in the shadow of the end zone. And I believe it was a great play call because you had Jalen Cropper. He basically put his defender in a vapor trail on the crosser. If that ball comes out, no, we're not doing the crop this thing. If that ball comes out immediately, that's a touchdown for Trey Lance and Jalen Cropper. On another play deep right to Cam Johnson, that ball sailed, and on both of those passes the ball sailed, but those were the only two times the.
Speaker 1: Ball did that.
Speaker 3: I think with Trey Lance, he needs to process a bit faster and if he does that, in addition to trusting himself, yeah, he's gonna make mistakes. But I think he's so afraid of making mistakes that he's leaving plays on the field.
Speaker 1: So that's my biggest takeaway. I want.
Speaker 3: I'm interested to see how he progresses to Game two. I do love the fact that he was accountable after the game and he showed maturity. He stood in front of that train and he basically said, I got to make the throws.
Speaker 1: I got to make the throws.
Speaker 3: So although he's a young guy, the maturity is there, the IQ is there. You just have to trust yourself because if you don't, you'll never make the throw that you're supposed to make in those small windows. Because there's Clarence kin attest. When it comes to NFL coverage windows, the receiver isn't really open. You have to throw that guy open. So when they are open, you got to make sure you make those throws.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like Trey yeah, great kid, great kid, great attitude. You know, I saw, you know, and I respect him owning his play, you know. And but that's what he is, you know. And and and you know it's funny because you set it up with Jakrins dad. And that's all everybody talking about is why are we asking that question?
Speaker 1: That's not the question.
Speaker 5: Why are we asking that question?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 4: Because because fans are asking that's not the question.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, that's not smart. The hate old Dak or whatever.
Speaker 1: Let me come on, stop the question. He was never an option to be the.
Speaker 5: Future quarterback of the Cowboys, you know. But because he is undone by his draft status, right, you know, the forty nine ers overdrafted him, and so everybody's all former first round pick, third overall pick. He must have some he's a potential replacement for Dak Prescott. That's never that was never on the table. And like I was trying to tell people when when Patrick Mahone was a rookie, all here was buzz out of practice. Oh yeah, Alex Fith is good. But this rookie, this dude here, he's killing in practice. We heard nothing all all year last year about what Trey Lands were doing.
Speaker 4: In practice, No, still in development. Last year.
Speaker 5: It works hard, but you heard nothing. There was nothing next level about his game or anything like that. Again, a great kid, but it's gonna be hard for him to overcome what he doesn't have. And that's a lack of experience. That's a lack of snaps, that's a lack of reps. That's going back to high school. He only started one year in high school and he really wasn't the quarterback growing up. He don't have all the seven on seven reps. He's played roughly seventeen games in college. You know, yeah, four game, four starts, and you look at some of the quarterbacks that come out and look at all the reps and all the snaps and all the defenses they've seen. And then when he played in college, they made throw about seven times a game. You know, there's a lot. He has a decent athlete, decent arm there's nothing the next level about either one of those things. Again, the four nine ers overdrafted them, so everybody's you know which you know, Trey Lands, Trey Lands, Trail Lands. But there's a lot for him to overcome, right, So what you saw when he misses, he misses high. You know that that in the cropper, you don't have to make a perfect throw, throw the ball in bounds. Cropper could jump up get the ball or get a pass in affairs. That's how bassive defensive back was beat.
Speaker 3: And I will also say when it to kind of piggyback off of the back end of wood, Clarence is saying, which ties right back into my process and got a process quickly on a couple of those sacks that he took.
Speaker 1: You have to get rid of that ball.
Speaker 3: You can't take a sack, and those you haven't seen it right, which goes to I don't know what he can.
Speaker 5: Do in the preseason. Three preseason games against backups.
Speaker 1: It's gonna have to be ever.
Speaker 5: Say, if Dak Prescott gets hurt, I'm put him instead of Cooper Rush. That's that's not that's not even wrong. And this is not on the tape. Let's be realistic. That's not on the table. Can't he develop? Can he show something, maybe compete for the backup job next year, that's what you're oving for. But anybody thinks that he can really see that, I'm if a gun to my head, Dak press get hurt, he can do nothing against backups in limited schemes, in three persons games. To tell me I'm putting them on the field. Get instead of Cooper Rush, who's five and win as a start, who's one game, one real game.
Speaker 4: That that's the real argument here, and and I think it's.
Speaker 1: Not an argument right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are the facts. Actually, Yeah, a.
Speaker 3: Look at we talked about who performed well and limited slapt the snaps Hooper Rush. He starts the game and immediately deep left ball to Jaalen Brooks right on the money, dropped it right in the bucket and then backed out.
Speaker 1: It was like, did my job?
Speaker 5: Yes. And you know it's funny because I think that was centers to buy McCarthy and Cooper Rush. I know everybody thinking about Trey Lanz, We're gonna show you something real quick. We're gonna show you what a real back it looks like. Real quick, we're gonna sit you down and get it done. And and and so look, well everybody, I mean, Trey lands a great kid and and hopefully he can continue to develop and mature and make somebody's career. I wish you could play at the UFL. I wish you could go and just play football and get those reps. You look at all the quarterbacks that come out in the draft. You know, the kid from Washington. You know how many snaps they've had, how many times they've seen it and seen it and seen it. He has not seen it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not seventeen college games, no.
Speaker 5: But but got even the games. Look at his past attempts, he got like four hundred. I mean, you don't have a lot of passes. He got like four hundred pass attempts. You know, that's a couple of good games.
Speaker 4: Right, you know, I think with him yesterday, it was more like it kind of felt like he was looking at the bigger picture, the grander scheme. He was trying his best not to make mistakes. And he granted he didn't make a lot of mistakes aside from taking all those sacks. It was he didn't throw four interceptions, but he also didn't win the game.
Speaker 5: I mean, you you you get four interceptions and you don't win the game because you don't get your team in his zone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he points.
Speaker 5: I mean that's that's that's in a nutshell. You know how hard it is to lose a game when you're plus four in turnal. I don't care with pre seasons, okay, and several of turnovers in plus territory and you can't get.
Speaker 3: Nothing when one and on particular and in particular one of those turnovers, this was after brock Mogson got his interception. Cowboys had five plays for negative eleven yards. Negative eleven yards that cannot happen. So again, when you're in the red zone. Yeah, when you're in the reds no less. So again, you know, great human being Trey Lance is. He's a great young man and he has a high football like you, and I can't stress enough. I love how he takes accountability. I'm huge on that with everyone. And he's not running from the criticism. He's putting it on himself as well. Interested to see how he improves. But it's also true that improvement has to take place, and there's not a lot of time for it to take place.
Speaker 1: But also for the.
Speaker 3: Fans, keep keep this in the right framing, like Clarence and Josh and myself that we're saying, keep it in the right framing. Even if Trey Lance improves greatly over the remaining two preseason games, he's not in a battle with Dak Prescott. He's in a battle with Cooper Rush, and right now Cooper Rush.
Speaker 4: Is winning absolutely all. Right, now, let's put it really quickly to defense. We had not one, not two, not three, four four.
Speaker 5: Four, Yeah, should have five, six, should have six. One got call back, and I know my boy's kicking himself over the first interception held. Had he dropped in his own.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, Marquis, Marquis, it.
Speaker 3: Could have easily been six interceptions. I say, because hey, it happens. He doesn't play for Georgia anymore. So welcome to the NFL, Stetsuben It. Welcome to Mike Zimmer's defense, STETSONB.
Speaker 1: Bennett. So, but yeah, it could have been. Well, first, let's take it a step back.
Speaker 3: We talked to Marquise Bell after the game and he said that the defense had a goal of three interceptions yesterday and they walked away with four, and they could have walked away with six because Marquise had an opportunity for two, possibly three himself. I'll say two because the third one fell just short and skipped right in front of him. But then you had two interceptions from linebacker. You had Eric Scott getting in on the interception party as well, for all of the talk of you know, what does Mike Zimmer's scheme look like and how does that translate the takeaways and are we going to see the Cowboys defense turn down and take aways to be able to turn up on things like run defense. Well, first showing and this is just preseason, so qualified the right way right the third strings. First showing though, looks like they still know how to take the ball away.
Speaker 1: So that's a problem. That's promise.
Speaker 5: So yeah, ball guys catch the ball. That's what you're doing. That's one thing that certainly that Dad Quinn brought here. And uh, you know, like I said, the good news is then this sception did not go to Washington. Turnovers did not go to Washington with Dad Quinn. They're they're still here and ball guys will make plays. I was really happy for Marquise Bell, guy who played out of position last year, undersized, you know, linebacker, and there was so much scrutiny about the linebackers. He's back to his natural position of safety. He showed up, he showed out.
Speaker 4: He was a big part of but he was thumping too, a.
Speaker 5: Big part of the defense. That's what he does, that's who he.
Speaker 1: Is it was all over the field.
Speaker 4: That would to me was indicative of the playing out of position last year and how he learned from that to take that into the safety position that he has now or going back to now. He was all over the field. He was making every single play.
Speaker 3: He had a not a team high, but a game high nine tackles in addition to his one interception. Nearly two interceptions could argue possibly three, But he was all over the field. He was thumping as well, And that's an excellent point you bring up, Josh. He's using what he learned at a linebacker as linebacker and he's putting that into play back in the role of safety. But at the same time zimmer is using that as well. Because you'll see times and there wasn't much disguise.
Speaker 1: And that's what's.
Speaker 3: Crazy about it, because the Cowboys walked away with four interceptions and they weren't disguising nearly as much as we've seen them disguise out here in practice or as much as you're gonna see them disguise when the games start counting in Cleveland, and they were still able to do that. A large reason was when Mike Zimber did use Marquis Bell in disguise, he'd feign him as a linebacker. And if you're watching, if you're an opposing offensive coordinator, you're watching film on Bell last year. You saw how many reps he took at linebacker, so you have to respect that, and then respecting that that confuses the quarterback when Bell drops back, if he drops out, and that helped Stetson Bennett remain discombobulated for most of the game. So Marquise Bell, right, Mark, he's discombobulated. Marqui's Bell phenomenal game yesterday, and he's building upon what we saw last year. He looks far more comfortable at safety, and that's gonna make him very dangerous.
Speaker 4: Now, is this Mike Zimmer's defense in full of I mean, well, you just answered that he's not disguising as much as you know as he is out here in ice cream. So if this is vanilla ice cream? Are we feeling more confident now than we did at the start of the season when we hired uh, Mike Zimmer?
Speaker 5: I mean we got to see it in real games.
Speaker 1: I mean you like going to say you got talking to the Mike.
Speaker 5: We got to see it in real games. I mean, we we got you, we got to see that. I mean, you like Zimmer as a coach, you like his history, absolutely, You like the fact that the guys have taken into his system, you know, but until we see it in live action, until we see Cleveland, until they stopped the run against Cleveland, which will be you know, job one in that season opener. Let's you know, let's let's let's hold off or make any you know that that that this is gonna be better. They hope it's gonna be better. They you know, obviously, everybody has a as Mike Taylor said, everybody got a game plan to get hit the face. So they got a game plan and they know what they want to do. Can they get it done? Will they get it done?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I feel like when it comes to Zimmer, you're giving him a lot of credit, rightfully, so because of pedigree, right and you're giving him a lot of credit because of IQ And to the point of Marveion Overshown saying yesterday after the game that there were many times where Zimmer wasn't even looking at his play call sheet. He was just calling the plays in real time without looking at a sheet. I mean, that's that's genius level stuff. But what we need to see is how it comes together. But also that goes to personnel as well. He's not going to have the benefit of having the depth of that during So i'mstrong and Dante Dalla presented and guess what he doesn't have Sam Williams either. How quickly will Marshawn Kneeling come up to bat? How quickly will well? What will Williami Fojoko look like in year two?
Speaker 5: You're counting on a lot of.
Speaker 1: Right, So that there lies the question.
Speaker 4: No matter how good the defense, aron lies the question.
Speaker 3: It's the personnel and how he can get these young guys playing and that, and.
Speaker 5: That's been a criticism from day one. You know, from going back to the off seasons. They didn't add anybody to replace the guys they lost, and you know they're hoping, praying, believing in the second your jumps and guys coming back and listen and I know, you know, over Shawn's on the car sheet and we're gonna talk about him. I believe in Overshaw, you know, I believe that he's gonna have that you know come back that you do, of course I do, but I believe in it.
Speaker 1: Because of what but you should though you should. I'm just joking.
Speaker 5: I believe, Yeah, I believe what what what what he's seeing and what he's done, and so you believe in that. But until you get in the games and he hasn't, you know, seeing all the stuff they're gonna put at him, and and all the other stuff. So you know, it's still a waiting to see because again there's just a lot of you know, like Misie Smiths, you know, the defense, the defensive tackling. What he's done is gonna be big as far as the scheme. But it's not just misy who's behind it. I mean, there's not a lot of depth on the defense line, a lot of proof depth.
Speaker 1: It's skinny, they're not out of proven depth.
Speaker 5: We already talked about the loss of you know, Sam Williams and stuff like that, and so there are questions about the personnel as much as they are about the scheme.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I totally agree. I think at least with de Marvin Overshown, I think more people are because of the flashes that you saw last preseason, people are more excited to see him on the field this year. Whereas Mazi Smith, you saw him a lot last year. He was healthy. That jump needs to happen quick and like you guys are saying behind him, you know who is there.
Speaker 3: But here's in speaking to Demarvion Overshown really quickly. One of the things I believed and hoped for de Maarrion Overshown is the phrase I used as far as I'm coming off with the torn acl list, he doesn't know what he doesn't know right.
Speaker 1: So whereas typically you will see guys.
Speaker 3: Need grace when it comes to recovering from a torn acl how quickly will they get back or how long will it take for them to get back to form.
Speaker 5: All of the.
Speaker 3: Conversations I've had with Overshown over the course of this offseason, it's it's almost like it never happened, with the exception of him using it for you know, positive gains with lean muscle and things like that. Go back and look at the first couple of reps for him against the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday. Look at how he was able to stop the run and look how he's flying around.
Speaker 1: He's playing like it never happened.
Speaker 3: So I think the benefit of his youth and him having never suffered an injury like that, and I know it could go the other way because he had never suffered an injury like that. He could come back and oh well what if and is my knee going to hold He's flown to the opposite side of the spectrum. He's like, man, listen, it happened. God's playing, I'm back. Let's play ball. And it's showing.
Speaker 5: And the thing about Overshid is it's he you know, he's just like a kid out there. He's just so happy to be out there, so exuberant, so so excitable. He's you know, it's infectious, you know. And you you know, you talk about one thing about acl he's had a full year to recover. Yeah, you know, he was hurting, always had a full year to recover. And so yeah, he's running out there, running the cowboys, hold on the pitch out that being caught with him when he's out there, he's running to the ball and you see him flashing some of that ability that he showed last year. But he had the quarter of the night last night. I'm trying to find it here.
Speaker 1: Fly swatter, fly swatter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had the quarter of the night, you know, and you know, uh, he talked about how he was just he's so competitive, you know. I think somebody did get an interview with him, and he said the last year he watched game with his helm and on, you know, and so he's so competitive.
Speaker 4: But he talked about I mean, clearly it looks like he fell asleep in the equipment run. Yeah, but he he has so many wristbands barding there.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But but he talked about his intensity and what he did during games, and he said that, you know, because he wanted to be out there. You gotta find the little wins. There were times of going in my garage with a fly swatter in his flies all day, you know, just to feel something, just to work on reaction time. You know, I'm from the country, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 5: Say we had flies the woman to say that you have we had. There were flies that came in out. We have recognition back then, okay, from the seventies of the country and you you you well there was it a football president of else. You tried to catch a fly and see how quick you were. You know, you're trying that's something you know. You know, we didn't have Nintendo, Okay, we didn't have to We didn't have video games. You had the five things to keep you you know, so you try to see if you can catch a fly real quick, you know. But it's you know, so I can relate to that. But yeah, him talking about he used to try to catch flies, you know, to see it rection because it's true, and it shows you how quick you are running down chickens, run down rabbits, you know, the more fast guys used to run them rabbits.
Speaker 1: You know, we used to run down squirrels.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all of that that that, you know, that.
Speaker 4: Showed just he's got a farm, So I'm sure that no quite literally Being from you know, country spot myself, we used to chase squirrels and that was an agility test.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, if you can corner with the squirrel, then you're going to make the varsity.
Speaker 1: So demo, we feel you. God new what you gotta do.
Speaker 4: All right, boys, let's take our final break. When we come back, we have a lot more about the game, more from Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Right after this.
Speaker 6: Break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 7: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper, Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 5: Would you, dear doctor, My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a souldier to cry out?
Speaker 11: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 8: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 9: Today to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by in Visi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Boys, you like that one? All right, boys, we need to talk about Dax health. He was not at our last practice that we had the the what was that?
Speaker 5: It was just my frind. He wasn't that Friday we did the game.
Speaker 4: He did the due to equal sore in us.
Speaker 5: It did the joint practice on Thursday. Then Friday morning didn't practice, which all bells ranked went off. Why he didn't practice? Certainly he didn't do the mock game on Saturday either, but he didn't need to do that because he wasn't playing on Sunday.
Speaker 4: But he was at the game yesterday, not in.
Speaker 3: A boot, not in the boot, looking motivating the players before the game and hyped up, hyped up, and he said he'll be He said he'll be a practice on.
Speaker 5: The bottom line, as he said, he's fine. It was precautionary. He had some soreness. Uh, and let's he's gonna feeling about the curtains.
Speaker 1: He's gonna deal with that.
Speaker 5: He's always gonna have to deal with the soreness and stuff with that ankle. Of course, if you remember that tragic injury, you know, and everything they put it into that that's part of the life he's gonna be living with. I told my sister, you know, she she fractured ankle last year. I said, you have to continue to rehab that ankle. You're You're never gonna be It's never gonna be enough because it's gonna bother. You got metal plates, all this stuff in your ankle. Lie, It's always gonna be there. And it's something that that is gonna have to deal with. And and certainly he's dealt with. He's not missed a game with the ankle. I missed one game since he's been back with the ankle. But it's something he has to deal with. He said he would be ready to go on Tuesday and full going, full and ready to practice on Tuesday. So until it's in this year is not an issue.
Speaker 3: And he's fine and and like Claire said, he's gonna deal with it the rest of his life because of how devastating that injury was. And anyone who suffered a major injury knows it's gonna hurt when it rains. That's that's how the saying goes. So you know, you're gonna have to keep dealing with and managing that over the course of of the rest of his life. But is it in a position where it's gonna cost him availability.
Speaker 1: No, it is not.
Speaker 5: Unlike the summer when he had the boot on the gulls.
Speaker 1: And then the boot disappeared. It's gonna hurt when it rains.
Speaker 5: He's not in a boot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: So we see him going to practice all week, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's what he said, until that's when Mike McCarthy told us out of the game. So Dak tows in the locker room after game. So, uh, he says, gonna practice full on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It might even be a point I should say at this uh during the season where you might just have to start giving Dak like that veteran day, because Dak doesn't get that veteran day like Martin or like a DeMarcus Lawrence. But given that he's managing this, I could see them starting the institute a veteran day for him, just to make sure that he's managing that, you know, random swordess that pops up in that ankle, because it's it's something that he's going to have to deal with.
Speaker 4: Another note yesterday, Jerry Jones, uh spoke with our crew just before the game during the pregame shouts to everybody who did our pregame Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Jer Jones clear up the CD narrative. His quote was, I think I got in trouble the other day when I said, look, we're not urgent about CD. Well, no one appreciates CD being on the field more than I do. I completely understand the anks that's happening. Whether you're missed or not. Well, CD, you are missed.
Speaker 3: Oh you want my take on this? Absolutely, Okay. My take on it is Jerry realized.
Speaker 4: That he may have been taking out of.
Speaker 3: Will realize what's at stake here and and that and normally, and it was actually abnormal for Jerry to walk that back because like we were joking offline before the mic and the camera went back hot Zeke who, like this is this is the same owner general manager who threw out the Zeke who line and and obviously the brains truck got backed up to Ezekiel Elliott's residence not long thereafter. But Jerry didn't walk that back, but he's walking this back. So it was interesting to see that. But The bottom line is, you know, if you look at the full quote, then you get the full picture of what Jerry said initially about Ceedee Lamb. But then also you need to attach that to what Stephen Jones said and was saying at the same time that Jerry was on the field talking.
Speaker 1: Stephen Jones said.
Speaker 3: Not quote zero zero zero thoughts of Ceedee Lamb not being a Dallas cowboy. Of course, of course he invoked the franchise wording and everything on true because facts are facts. Franchise tags possible. But as it stands, contract talks continue, they're still positive. And the fact that Jerry reframed what he said without doing that prior to any of the other free not Freed, it's any of the other big names that he was working to deal with, that tells you just how badly they want to get this CD Lamb deal done.
Speaker 5: Let me just say one thing. You want to say more than just one thing this world. Don't even it's something. Don't bring the franchise attack. I mean, we ain't get the deal done this year, and no, you get this franchise attack, it would be world war It's nice, but peeling back further on the Curtains. I talked to Jerry last Monday. He told me the same thing. We don't need City out there. Don't say that. He said, don't write that, and I didn't write it, and I'm only saying it now publicly because of the fires. To him, he said, don't write there.
Speaker 3: And for those that don't know, he actually did tell me this a few days ago.
Speaker 5: He said, he said, because it's a sensitive situation, and don't write that. And so it's when he said that public I'm like, dude, you understood, because that's the reason he walked it back is because City was offended. He got hurt, you know, And like I try to tell people, That's why I don't get caught up into it, because I'm a veteran. I've seen a million of these things. Jerry's done thousands of contract negotiations for the players. It's their first one, you know. As Zeke so eloquently said, you know, up, we was talking about the situation for your first four years of your career. They loving you, loving you, love you. Now, this is the first time you're on the opposite side some table with the team, you know, and you're hearing some things that you you have not heard before and so it's personal. And so while Jerry was joking, and he was, he was clearly joking, you know, because if he followed it up with we asked him why you said, I don't know why he just said it. And Jerry said a number of times on and off the record that one benefit they want see the year they want see these who doesn't Obviously it takes to the tango they have come to turn. But he said, one benefit of him not being years that he's not gonna get hurt. You see, Hollywood Brown got hurt the preseason game, the neighbors got hurt in practice. He's not gonna get hurt. And we also get the development of those younger guys, so he pointed, and that's part of what he was talking about. The question was asked, and it has to do with the framing of the question. The question was, is there any urgency to get his CD signed to see not being here as we start the preseason? Well, the preseason has never been a monumental issue for Jerry and the Cowboys as far as CD lamb because he was never playing the games.
Speaker 1: Yes, so when.
Speaker 5: You when you when you frame it urgency as we start the preseason. No, it's not urgency. The precis they got nothing to do with the conversation. They got to negotiations. But it takes a life of his own when it just left out there and then CD hears it and he's, you know, he's offended and he's now taking all the cowboys off his social media. So Jerry, he's he did the right thing. Let me listen. See in case you don't understand, In case you don't know, I love you, we want you here. We just got to get the deal with that.
Speaker 3: Bottom line is for players, negotiations are very personal. For organizations, negotiation negotiations are absolutely not personal at all, and there's always going to be that disconnected. This was one of those times where ceedee lamb. It hit him right in the chest because it's personal and he wants to be out here with his guys and he's sitting there at home and he's like, what's the hold up? And no, he's not talking to his agent every single day because his agent also has other people to represent, and there may not be there have been offers exchanged recently, but it may not be an every.
Speaker 1: Five minute offer type thing. So their CD like what's going on?
Speaker 3: And it gets into this the space of well do they not value me as much as I wish that they did? And then you hear the untimely comment by Jones and then it's like it triggers. So bottom line is we're talking to these coaches, we're talking to you know, ownership, We're talking to these players, Dak Prescott and things like that.
Speaker 1: And what did Dak said? Dak said, I have the urgency.
Speaker 3: The players want him here, the coaches want him here, ownership wants him here, the analysts want him here. It's more fun covering the team when you're here. CD, so handry your business and I look forward to you getting out here. That will not be a franchise tax situation and see Lamb gets his deal before the season starts.
Speaker 4: All right, we're gonna head out. Thank you so much for listening to Talking Cowboy, presented by Black Rifle Coffee, the official coffee's monster of the Dallas Cowboys. We will be back on Wednesday with the very same crew. Patrick Walker for clear Seville four Wars Star Telegram for Christopher Paul Beemer in the background, I'm Josh Rodriguez. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: It's the Paul for me.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.