Speaker 1: Welcome in to the New Orleans Saints podcast. You'll hear from players, coaches, broadcasters, and writers did cover the NFL on a daily basis. The New Orleans Saints podcast starts right now. Here's your host, Aaron Summers.
Speaker 2: Saints wrapped up day two of minichamp today. They did more situational work Spencer Ratler again going with the ones. Tyler shuck the twos. Rattler went ten of sixteen, Chuck nine of fifteen. Here's wide receiver Chris Lave on the work the offense has done so far.
Speaker 3: The young qbs are good. I don't think they are gone calling we're gonna come in and have hiccups. I feel like they got a good head or shoulders. They got good IQ. They're ready to play the NFL ball. So I'm excited whoever whoever get that starting job. They're both really good. I'm excited whoever gets that, and we're gonna be ready for that. So far, you go, have really only done seven on seven.
Speaker 2: What are you getting out of that? And are you excited to do a.
Speaker 3: Full eleven on eleven session? Oh yeah, man, I've been I've been ready to get eleven on eleven but seven on seven is great too, just getting the time and down, getting everything down from from the first read to the fourth read, got to got to keep going through progressions. But like I said, they're both They're both doing a great job Tyler and Spencer. And when Jake's gets back out there, I'm excited to see him too.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the whole construction of everything being new here.
Speaker 4: What you know, what do you like about it?
Speaker 3: I love him, man. I love the new coaching staff. They bring great energy. We got the same receiver coach, but everybody, everybody else around the building is new. So a lot of love of winning culture they bring up coming from Philly. Uh, But I'm excited for for what we got upcoming this year.
Speaker 2: The team ended practice walking through a lot of their run plays. Post practice, head coach Kellen Moore said that Alvin Kamara will absolutely be heavily involved in the run in past game.
Speaker 4: Alvin's obviously one of the premier players in our in our league. His abilly run the football and play in the past game, and so certainly when every aspect of that, He's gonna be a really big time impactful runner running the football first and foremost and then obviously the past game, his ability to create matchups is gonna be a huge advantage for us. And so what's really fun being around Alvin is his mental capacity is really high. He understands football at a really, really high level. He's uh, he's played so much game and so I really enjoy and I look forward to more and more of those conversations as we go through this of teaming up on this thing, and so it'll be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Kamara said he's feeling good. He was training in Colorado. His longtime trainer now works for Colorado under Dione Sanders, so he is now training there. He's at the elevation. Definitely was tough, and he feels like he is in extremely good shape, different shape than he has been before. He has been taking this week to get to know the new players and coaches.
Speaker 4: It's cool.
Speaker 5: It's cool, I think bringing a new kind of different, different energy to you know, the team that I've been on my whole you know, my whole career obviously, so it's kind of been the same, the same since I got here, So now a change coming in, it's different. You know, I got to kind of train my mind to be like, all right, I can't look at how things were you used to be done. I gotta kind of get with this. So it's not hard. But uh again two days, it's cool. But we'll we'll see during camp, we'll camp sort what was this needed?
Speaker 4: This this changed I think the organization wise, you think this was needed.
Speaker 1: This is a fresh research.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yah, I think it. I think I think it was needed. I think you know, you you obviously in this league, you want to win. You know, we haven't been doing much of that, uh consistently enough at least. Uh, so you know, why not.
Speaker 4: Has anything changed for you just in terms of your all season.
Speaker 5: Same exact stuff. Yeah, it's the same thing I've been doing since my rookie year, you know, so nothing changed, same old, same old, Just focused, grinding, feeling feeling good. I feel, like I said every year, like I feel better than I did last year. So, you know, just the same thing. Man, I'm old now in Colorado.
Speaker 4: Huh in Colorado?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I've been. I've been in Boulder the whole time. So just out there training, same thing, like I said, working with Swayze. Uh, just getting it in man, feeling good. Hell yeah, man, I didn't. I ain't. I knew it was real, but I never thought I had to deal with it, So I'm like, this is probably not that real. I got out there, I was walking up the steps in the house, and like, I thought, something's wrong with me, you know what I'm saying. I thought almost had to go to the hospital. But uh, now it's good. It's definitely. I feel like it's giving me a kind of a different, something new something for us, just like a different little wrinkle in my in my training because you can't run away from the elevation, so it's just been kind of helping me. I feel like I'm in a different type of shape.
Speaker 2: More said, getting the quarterbacks involved in the run game will be a big component of the offense. When you look at what they did with the Eagles and Jalen Hurts, he scrambled a lot. For this offense, it's gonna be a lot of RPO where the quarterback has the option of choosing between rushing or passing depending on the defense. We haven't seen a lot of it in camp, but Shuck did scramble for what looked like a touchdown today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certainly, there's there's a few different paths that you can take. There's you know, from an offense perspective, the RPO game has increased. You got to play within the rules and understand, you know, the downfield component of it, which is always the stressor in the NFL. It'll be a part of our offense. You know. I think it's a great tools. We utilized it a lot last year in Philadelphia, and you know, that was a great experience going through that process, and so you know, as we go we'll get some guys healthy. Obviously, as we go through this process, we'll be able play in multiple personnel. We will play in multiple tight ends, We'll play with multiple receivers, multiple backs. I think that's a big emphasis for us is you know, how many different personnels can we get out on the field.
Speaker 2: As far as the kicking game goes, it was Charlie Smith who was up today. He went five of six, missing from forty nine, but absolutely crushed it from sixty one. That ball definitely would have been good from seventy maybe given him a little extra there, but there was definitely room to spare. Justin Reid, a safety does have experience jumping in and as he did it during a game in Casey when one of their kickers got hurt pregame. He had an extra point after Smith was done, and so they gave him an attempt to actually hit a field goal. They set him up from forty four. He missed it, but then Devon Godshaw stepped up and tried an extra of his own. It was a really funny moment because the ball didn't quite go, i mean off the ground. It dribbled a few yards. In the locker room afterwards, Godjab was saying that his legs were absolutely dead because of some drills of the alignment were doing earlier in practice. But it does look like this team is having a lot of fun and taking some lighthearted moments through the work that they're putting in. Defensively, It's been interesting watching the players line up in different places from play to play, from the secondary to the line. The base defense is a three to four, which the Saints haven't run full time since the nineteen nineties. Players like defensive ends Cam Jordan, Isaiah Foski, Carl Granderson, and Chase Young are now more outside linebackers. They're in a stand up two point stance. This just makes it difficult for the offense to identify who the fourth rusher is going to be on either side of the nose tackle. It's been Brian Brazi, Jonah Williams and Vernon Broughton who flank either side. However, that's just when they are in base. There have been and will be a lot of sub packages where we see additional players on the line. I grabbed Brazzi after practice to talk to him for a few after Moore was asked about Brazil by the media. So it's Minnie Camp. I know it's a little bit different for the linemen and you guys still have the pads on. But how have things been going for you guys out there?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, no, it's been good. I think you know, it's a lot of indie which is good for us technique and we get to really hone in on our craft. Definitely different, you know, not as many competitive periods that you can really do without pads on. So but he's been great. The guys are getting after working hard. Coach Davis has been great teach, a great teacher. So it's been good.
Speaker 2: How is the different scheme right now? You guys are definitely lined up in a lot of different fronts, different people Besides you. So how has that been getting used to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's been good. Like anything like whenever you have a new defense or offense come in, you got to learn it. It's you know, there's gonna be bumps in the road as you you try to get it all down. But you know, I think we're starting to kind of get over the hump and smooth things out, and are you know, not only learning it, but able to play fast and understanding it better now.
Speaker 2: So something that I've noticed is you're out there really vocal. So is that something that you're doing differently this year, trying to take more ownership of how people are lining up what you're doing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I think uh got kicked out of the way because sit down, No, it's been it's you know, I try to to Uh not only does it probably help the people around me, but it helps myself just talking through things and.
Speaker 6: And uh being vocal about it. I think it's just a way that I'm able to learn and and uh yeah, so it's just kind of something I've always done, I don't, you know, just kind of normal to me.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know, if it's just I haven't noticed it before, but you were really loud today. How about Devon got a shop and his attempt at the extra point there.
Speaker 6: He Devon rolled that ball about ten yards top down. So I mean, just really poor technique from the guy there.
Speaker 4: What is going on?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 6: I wish we could have camera on this right now.
Speaker 4: I certainly think his ability to rush inside and his ability to play in a couple other positions will be very valuable. And obviously when you look at our fronts, you know, by rule war a three four team, so there's you know, there's some odds, there's some unders, there's some overs, playing plenty of five down structures and so you know those guys are able to move across the line and create matchups.
Speaker 2: Well, there's been a lot to glean from the off season work so far OTAs through mini camp. We are eagerly awaiting training camp and when this team can get the pads on, because then we'll really see things start to evolve. One thing is for sure, it was great having the fans out there, and everybody is looking forward to seeing them again once training camp gets underway.
Speaker 4: It's been great, it's been It's been an awesome opportunity for us just to have fans there, Bring the energy, bring the juice. This community is really really special. Hopefully they come out throughout training camp we create that environment has ultimately come fall. We're going to be asking and meeting them on Sundays.
Speaker 2: For all of our other mini camp coverage, just head to New Orleans Saints dot com and you can find all of the photos, interviews, and highlights there. We'll keep you posted on any news over the next month, but the players are getting a little bit of time off before we hit the ground running once training camp starts at the end of July. So thanks so much for listening and we'll talk again soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the New Orleans Saints Podcast presented by seat Geek. Join us three times per week on New Orleans Saints dot com, the Saints Mobile app, or you can download the podcast on iTunes. We'll see you next time right here on the New Orleans Saints Podcast presented by seat Geek.