Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema Rewind.
Speaker 2: This is Rob Lamb and I am Joe McCormick, and of course a Weird House Cinema Rewind comes from the vault of Weird House Cinema. This was originally published on September sixteenth, twenty twenty two, and it is our episode on Extraterrestrial Visitors aka pod People.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This one, of course is a film that was featured on Mystery Science Theater three thousand back in the day and is a richly enjoyable movie on its own. But one of the issues in this episode back when we recorded it is of course that we did not have great film quality to go off of the best. I think the best quality available was pretty grubby. We complain about it a bit in the episode. But then something magical happened. In the months following our release of the original episode, several films put out an excellent restored Blu ray edition of Extraterrestrial Visitors. I found out about it months later ordered up a copy of it. I have now viewed it and I have to say it is beautiful. If you find any if you find anything in this film beautiful, you will find this restored version of it beautiful. You can actually make out details that are lost otherwise. Like, for instance, there's the character that has the I'm a Virgin T shirt. Well, now you can read all the details on that shirt and see that it's a Virgin Islands tourist T shirt. That's the full story there. And just in general, like everything's in just a richer quality. There's still a certain level of grubbiness just because it is still, you know, a Spanish genre picture of the nineteen eighties. But man, it's a fun package. So I highly recommend it to anyone out there who is a fan of extraterrestrial visitors, Spanish genre films, or or of course if you're an MST completist and you want a nice copy of this beloved film. And one more thing, it also has a CD in it that has the soundtrack on it, which which isn't much. It has, you know, just a few of the synthy bits that you hear, and then also that terrible pop song that they're recording in the studio.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, hear the engines roar now, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I actually got the experience of finding my car's CD drive putting that CD in there, rolling down all the windows and then you know, tearing around town with that's with that song blasting.
Speaker 2: Did you feel the wind in your eyes?
Speaker 1: I did, felt the wind right in my eyes. All systems will go, all right, let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 2: This is right, and this is Joe McCormick, and we.
Speaker 1: Are going to the year nineteen eighty three for this one. We're going to be discussing a film that has many names. Its primary title in the United States is Extraterrestrial Visitors, but it is also widely known to Mystery Science Theater three thousand fans as pod People.
Speaker 2: Strangely, that title has nothing to do with the contents of the movie and makes it sound like it's a ripoff of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, when in fact, it's a ripoff of ET but with much grizzlier elements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's. My rough understanding of this film is that it may have originally started as your basic killer creature in the woods sort of fair, but this is the year after ET. Cute aliens being befriended by children is big business, and so this gets folded into the plot. So it's one of these films that, much like the much like the film Grimlins, it's totally inconsistent, Like one second it's doing cute stuff and the next second it is in horror mode. And at the end of the by the end of the film, you're you're left wondering, like, who is this for? Like, there are parts of this film that I would show my child. There are other parts that I would not show them. There are there plenty of human characters I would not expose them to in this Well.
Speaker 2: I'd say even the cute stuff in this movie is grotesque. The scenes with Tommy, the child and his alien friend, like playing around and doing telekinesis parties in the in the bedroom and making like the toys dance on the ceiling and stuff. Something about that is its own kind of horror, even though I don't think that part is intended to be scary.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought it was delightful. Tommy is absolute goodness and sweetness, and so is Trumpy. Trumpy is the name that Tommy gives to the childlike alien who comes into his life.
Speaker 2: So so in a way, this movie is going to be in the tradition of all the movies where a child befriends a benevolent, fantastical being, you think about the movie that was the direct inspiration for at least half of this, Spielberg's et came out the year before. But on the other hand, I think you can think of this as part of a subgenre of though it's not exactly correct in this movie, because the horror is being done by just other aliens that look identical to the one he's befriended, but it's part of the subgenre of child to be friends a deadly monster movies, like I think one of the core prototypes here is the original nineteen thirty one Frankenstein, The Universal Monster Movie, where there is a pivotal scene highlighting the creature's moral innocence as well as his destructive power. After the creature escapes Frankenstein's lab, he wanders the countryside where he encounters a child and the creature, being innocent and childlike himself, they play games together and they throw flowers in a lake until the creature accidentally kills the child while in the midst of a game because he doesn't understand cause and effect and he doesn't understand his own strength. And it's that's sort of what makes Frankenstein more of a grotesque tragedy than a movie about a sidistic evil monster. I don't know if that's exactly the case in Pod almost called it pod people extraterrestrial visitors. It's I'm not sure if this movie was trying to say anything about like the moral complexity of the beings in the relationship to humans. The child that in the movie does often say they just want to be our friends. Yet we do see the aliens totally unprovoked to just attacking humans.
Speaker 1: I do well, I don't know if they're completely unprovoked. Now to come back to Frankenstein, and I think Frankenstein is a great comparison here because the other aspect of Frankenstein, and this is president in the novel too, is that Frankenstein in Frankenstein's Monster rather and you can call him Frankenstein. It's it's fine, we checked, he's cool with it. The monster encounters a humanity that is hostile to him, and that fosters hostility, that fosters this this grudge against both his creator uh and the creator's fellow human beings, and so in this film, we kind of see the same duality Like this, we also see that Frankenstein, you know, with the with the child encountering the child or encountering the blind man. Because we have these two aliens and they both have they have different experiences with the humans they encounter. The first alien encounters poachers and hunters and vile band members and so forth. Like the first his first encounters with humans are all murderous. Meanwhile, the second, younger alien, his first encounter is Tommy, and Tommy like hatches him from an egg. Tommy is nice to him and feeds him and and they venture off to a world of whimsy with each other. Where the other one, the murderous alien, has none of that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I see what you're saying. So like, even though the other alien does like just randomly attack like innocent people, like in a bathroom or in an RV, it is because the other alien had previously encountered dangerous humans.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Like at that point he's like, this is what humans are, and if I see one that, I have no other choice but to kill them before they hurt me. Like he's walking around with he has like a crossbow bolt in his chest most of the time because he's also been wounded by the humans. So yeah, this was the for me, the most interesting thing about this film watching it for the first time without any riffs, without you know, the added layer of overt humor provided by MST three K, because I seen this film multiple times before via that ms TH three K episode, which is one of my favorites. It's a classic MST episode. But I'd never really given the film a chance to succeed and fail on its own merits, and it does. It does both. Now, I do want to come back to the title of this film, because this is it's it's interesting that it has had. It has so many titles. So it was a French Spanish co production, and so it was released in its respective countries with of course French and Spanish names. I believe that the Spanish is what los novos extraterrestris, which is the new extraterrestrials, and then and then the French and French is not my certainly not my my happy spot for pronunciation, but I believe it is less monsters. So it's that's terrible, I know, but but I love what it means. The hatching of monsters. I think the Hatching of monsters might be the best title for this film.
Speaker 2: Because they do come from eggs. One egg is snuggled by a child in his bed and the other egg is is the other egg bashed opened by a poacher. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Multiple eggs are bashed open, ye by poachers, and we have poachers who are seeking eggs in the forest, so the egg trope goes pretty deep in this. But but yeah, this has had a ton of titles that we mentioned pod people. You can look up all sorts of crazy posters and vhs box art for this thing. And like I found one that just says a visitor and there's a weird illustration of Tommy and there's the shadow of something standing in a doorway, presumably the alien visitor, which looks nothing like anything in the film.
Speaker 2: Now, the shadow kind of looks like the silhouette of the Guiver, you know, it's like it's like a kind of robo alien humanoid shape with claws.
Speaker 1: And then there's another one I found and I love this one. This is a black box video release and this must be like this must be like us or Canadian. I don't know. I didn't I didn't look this up. But it has this wonderful, charming, childlike illustration of Tommy and Trumpy, and it just says ETV in gold swirling letters. That's Extraterrestrial Visitors. But for the cool kids ETV, it's like T two. Yeah, you know, I love it, Like, how did they think they could get away with that? Let's just call it ETV. Let's just cut straight to it. The kids don't care.
Speaker 2: This is G two baby.
Speaker 1: But Trump is very cute on this. I would say in general, we're talking about ET Trumpy. Trumpy is far cuter than et. ET is just a flesh bag with big eyes and a glowing finger. But meanwhile, Trumpy is this delightful mix. He's like all the better aspects of alf combined with snuffle up agains in a more bipedal form.
Speaker 2: What is the Star Wars character that Trumpy looks like from the most nicely cantina that has a long Ardvark snout?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I forget his name, but yes, he does look like him, especially at one point in the film when Tommy puts a coat on him with.
Speaker 2: A hood garn Dan, Is that right?
Speaker 1: If you say so, I guess he also looks a little bit, but like Max Rebo, the blue piano player from Java's Barge. Yeah, of course trump he has hair.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay? So according to is this Wikipedia or some kind of Star Wars wikie, this creature with the goggles, the hood and the long snout is called garrin Dan, also called long Snoot. It says he it was a Kubaz. I think that is an alien species, and he is considered to be the greatest spy in the most sicily spaceport there.
Speaker 1: I mean, you barely notice him, you know, you have to look up his name. That's the mark of a good spy.
Speaker 2: But a big difference is that Trumpy is furry, whereas Garindn is not.
Speaker 1: Oh you don't want to carry all that fur with you on Tatooine. Though perhaps sheared first?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, what so. One of the human characters describes the aliens as looking like a cross between I think they're saying a pig and a bear, though it kind of sounds like a pig and a pair either way. I'm not sure. I don't really see the pig part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the snout doesn't look very pig like. It's more it's more snuffle up agaus. That's what I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if that line was written before the creature design was finalized.
Speaker 1: Maybe so, all right, at this point, we would would normally give you a little taste of the trailer. But I looked around for a while and I could not find any trailers for this film in any language. I was looking up the various releases. I was thinking, well, okay, I can't find the English trailer. Maybe there wasn't one or it's been lost, but surely I can find the English or the original one that they used in Spain. But I was not able to find anything. So I thought we might just have some audio from the film. Hopefully we'll get some of the charming synth music in there as well. Hey, come back down, Tommy, What are you doing? What was all that noise? Tommy? Did you hear me? Tommy? In the own room? All right? And a note on availability for this film. Sadly, this is not one where you can find it. Seemed to be able to find a better cut of the film, or at least like better film quality. I ended up streaming it via Prime and I know there are some some other streams available out there. Again, if you look around in the for the original Spanish and French titles for the film, you can find I believe you can find it in those languages, But in terms of finding like any kind of their stored footage, we're not there yet. So I don't know if this is a film where this is as good as the video quality is ever going to get, or if at some point we'll get something a little easier to watch, because yeah, it's it's kind of kind of brutal at times. It's a film that already has a lot of fog machines and perhaps some day for nights effects going on and things get really muddy looking.
Speaker 2: The woods in this movie often look like the foggy forest that Graham Chapman gets lost in and oh where they find the Knights who say knee and Monty Python on the Holy Grail. You remember that sequence?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this film makes makes great use of the fog machine. So sadly we're still waiting on I guess, a proper restored cut of this film. I hope we get there. I hope that it's out there somewhere just waiting for someone to discover. But I think for now, as far as I know, we don't really have a superior example of video quality to steer you towards. I know it came out on DVD, but I have no reason to suspect that that has better video quality than what's available elsewhere. All right, let's talk about the human beings that made this film. So we've mentioned the director of this film before. He's come up, because, especially when we've talked about Spanish films, inevitably some of the people involved in Spanish productions also worked on some of his films. This is jue Picuerre Simone. He was the director, the writer, and he also did visual effects on this film. He lived nineteen thirty five through twenty eleven. Spanish b movie director who became I'm going to say he became legendary for such films as nineteen eighty eight Slugs the Movie, which is a film that I distinctly remember seeing a trailer for when I was a child, and it made me afraid to use a toilet. It may be anxious about sitting on a toilet. That's how terrifying the trailer was, because there's a scene where you see slugs crawling on a toilet.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a toilet attack in it, or just slugs on it toilet.
Speaker 1: I can't remember. I think you know, we've talked about the trailer for Slugs of the movie at some point for trailer talk back in the day, but I don't think I could quite bring myself to watch it in full.
Speaker 2: Is that one of the movies kind of like the late seventies remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which is fantastic where the hero is a member of the local health inspection department.
Speaker 1: Is that so okay?
Speaker 2: I have a vague memory of something like that. Could be wrong.
Speaker 1: Simone's other film of note is nineteen eighty two's Pieces. This is a film that we've almost watched on Weird House before. It's been almost cued up in the past. It is a chainsaw movie with a lot of other extra strange things added to it, but it has a really fun cast.
Speaker 2: It's like, it seems kind of like if Texas Chainsaw Massacre was not rural and Texan but was about like an apartment building.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like an apartment building in Madrid or something. Yeah, it's kind of odd, so we may come back to that one. Simone also directed the nineteen ninety underwater sci fi film The Rift that one has Ray Wise and r Lee Ermie in it. He also did nineteen seventy nine Supersonic Man that has Cameron Mitchell in it. He did nineteen eighty one's Mystery on Monster Island that has Terrence Stamp and Peter Cushing in it. And he also did nineteen ninety two's Cuthulhu Mansion.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'd love to see what jan Pequerre Simone does with Terrence Stamp General Zod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious. So there's also another writer credited on this, Joaquin Grau, who's credited as Jack Gray on the US version, a writer who worked He just worked with Simone on a couple of his other films, So I couldn't find out much about this individual. But let's get into the cast a bit here. So really the most of these cast members were people I was not familiar with. But there's one that has come up on the show before, and that is the character Bert, one of the Hunters, one of the poach in the film, played by Frank Bronna, who lived nineteen thirty four through twenty twelve. Not really a major character in this film, but a regular player in Simone's films, and he also turns up in a ton of Spanish bee movies of the day, including Return of the Blind Dead, which we previously covered on the show.
Speaker 2: He in this movie looks like a cross between Sam the Eagle and Leslie Nielsen. He has a kind of silver haired authority and yet he's just playing kind of a scummy poacher.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he played a lot of heavies in his time. He shows up spaghetti westerns and horror movies. He has those really piercing eyes and often white hair, and also seem to be able to grow a lot of impressive facial hair. So if you look up just images of Frank Bronna in different movies, Yeah, he's a little chameleon like. He can play any kind of suspicious, sort of handsome dude with really piercing evil eyes. It's it looks like he made a career out of that.
Speaker 2: Wait, who was he in Return of the Blind Dead? Was he a was he like one of the corrupt politicians or something?
Speaker 1: He was? Memory serves he was the corrupt politicians henchman who you think is decent for a while and not as bad as the politician, but eventually reveals himself to be a predatory villain as well, and then he's killed by the dead. All right, other humans in this film we have. We have the character Rick, who's the frontman of a horrible band. This is played by Ian Sarah Dates, unknown Spanish actor known mostly for this film for Pieces for Mystery on Monster Island, so you know, he was a regular player for Simone, but he's recently directed and produced it looks like and yeah. In this he plays Rick, a perfectionist lead singer of a terrible band that makes everyone around him miserable.
Speaker 2: They're really it's like they're setting him up to be the villain of the movie. He's like the jerk who you know will finally get his come up and from the monster in the end. But no, it seems like in the end the movie you realize that he is sort of the hero of the movie.
Speaker 1: It's very weird, but he doesn't really do much that's heroic, Like, he doesn't really have an arc, he doesn't have a redemption story. He doesn't realize that he was a jerk. He just kind of by not he stops actively being terrible, but he doesn't really do anything all that good. I guess he's a little heroic, but for movie heroism, it's very mild.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm not saying he does anything qualitatively heroic. I'm saying he fills the hero slot in the movie, like he is the young guy who comes in at the end, you know, and like shoots the monster and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, in that regard, you could say he's definitely filling the space that should be occupied by a more heroic figure.
Speaker 2: But no, yeah, complete jerk of a character, essentially no redeeming qualities. The only thing that changes really at the end is he just sort of like stops having lines. And yeah, I guess they're that.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, that's an eft is a blessing. Yeah, let's see another human of note in this. There's Nina Ferrer playing Sharon, a member of the band and Rick's girlfriend. Date's unknown, a Spanish actor who appeared in a handful of films, and this might be the best well known, at least outside of Spain as far as I can tell. Then there's also Susanna Biquerer, who plays Lara, a fan of the band. Lara is also a Miles spoiler. She will be one of the early victims in the film, but kind of a victim of both human more of a victim of the humans right as opposed to the aliens at any rate.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's confusing because I thought that her death is caused by humans, but then she gets the little like the Big Dipper inscribed on her forehead, which suggests she was killed by the alien.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, m all right, we'll have to suss that out at any rate. Beaker here a Spanish actor, mostly active and still active on television. For instance, she's currently in a show called Now and Then, which is apparently on Apple TV Plus. And she had a small role in Hostile Too as an Italian translator. And she is, according to her online acting profile, fluent in English, Italian and French.
Speaker 2: Oh, speaking of do do you have any idea whether the actors who appear on screen also provide the voices in the audio dub I wondered if there was any difference there, because I think I think most or all of this movie does not have live sound. The dialogue is dubbed.
Speaker 1: In right, So yeah, my understanding and I could be wrong on this is that again, it was a French Spanish co production, and I think lines were recorded for both a French version and a Spanish version, but I don't know I have both of those. If we're talking about two different takes in two different languages, I don't know if we're talking about one is the live take and the other is the dub or as is sometimes the case with films of this caliber, if both were dubbed and they just and they didn't do sound, I don't know. All right. We mentioned Tommy already, Tommy, the heart and soul of this film, the sweetness of this film, this film's hope for humanity, played by Oscar Martin born nineteen seventy two, a French child actor who I think would have been like ten or eleven at the time of filming, which coincidentally is the age of my son. So I think that's why this film had more of an effect on me watching it this as opposed to the past, because like, here's here's this child that is, you know, that still has all of this innocence in him, and he's you know, he's into cute animals and caring for animals and nature, and he has his goodness in him, and you know, there's a lot of that that reminds me of my own son. And there's also this, you know, this fear of them growing ever older, getting closer and closer to that world of teenagedness in adulthood, and all of the complexities of all of that. So I think all of this made me think a little bit deeper about this film and read more into this film than I did in the past.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, this is explaining a lot. Yeah, I suspect your son would make better decisions than Tommy does.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. We'll see what is tom We'll get into it. I'm trying to remember what Tommy's worst decisions are.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, now that I think about it. I mean, maybe Tommy. It's hard to blame Tommy too much. I think if him is essentially kind of unleashing an alien horror on everyone, but he doesn't, it's not so much his fault.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say he increases the amount of entanglement between the people and the aliens, but maybe that was inevitable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Martin here playing Tommy is good. I enjoy him. I feel like he's a good He does a good job as a child actor in this and in the English dub. I don't know for certain, but we kind of have that same thing going on that we had with the House by the Cemetery, where I think we might have an adult woman dubbing the voice for Tommy, which adds to the sort of weirdness of the whole situation.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep. What was the kid in the house by the cemetery was up?
Speaker 1: Bob? Bob? Yes, at least this time a proper child's name, right, Tommy. That sounds like a child's name. Bob. That's a grown up's name, right, all right. A couple of other actors have not there is there are a numerous actors. There are really too many human characters in this because the band and has just multiple members and hangers on, some of which have no real impact on the plot. But Tommy, as we learned, Tommy lives with his mom, whose name is Molly, played by Concha Queitos born nineteen forty four, Spanish actor who worked mostly in TV and was also in Slug And then we have and then Tommy's uncle Bill lives with them. Uncle Bill is played by Manuel Perero who was born in nineteen twenty seven, a Cuban born Spanish actor I believe, who has a fairly diverse filmography, having appeared in movies that also feature the likes of John Finch, Steve Guttenberg, Alan Arkin, Leonard Nimoy, Julian Sands, Paul McGann and Paul Nashy.
Speaker 2: Of course, Paul Nashy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I oh, man, I'm gonna get tripped up a lot when we're talking about the plot because this is uncle Bill. But I was definitely just thinking of him as grandpa. So he is grandpa to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's oh, he's awful. He's just a grumpy man who distrusts everyone, hates animals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really hates Carl and asc Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so we'll discuss Bill. Uncle Bill is not a likable character, all right. And finally, the music. The music is definitely I think one of the best attributes of the film. The music here was done by Libra Pastor. Pastor worked on a handful of Simone films, including pieces a Spanish organ player and composer. He was apparently a member of the band Los Roberts and the soundtrack was released on vinyl in Spain. So some of these films we end up talking about were like, oh, what if they ever put this out on vinyl, wouldn't that be cool? This is one where it came out on vinyl originally. I don't think anybody's put it back out on vinyl. I don't know that it's available anywhere officially, Like it's a digital and it's a digital version. I don't think it ever came out on like cassette or CD, but it came out on vinyl. And the cover is pretty great because it has this wonderful illustration of Tommy looking up into the sky and there's like a halo of light behind him.
Speaker 2: Los Nuevo's Extra Terrestrace. So comb your local used record store if you find a copy right in.
Speaker 1: This has got to be worth a fortune, at least to certain very specific individuals. But anyway, the music in this is pretty fun that the score anyway, lots of synth, very atmospheric at times, also very goofy and carnival ask at times. I remember in the MST three K episode they distinctly made I think they made of music from the Hearts of Space joke in there, because it does have that kind of feel at times.
Speaker 2: Did this person THO Will also write the pop song that is that is diegetic music within the movie. It is the band the song the band sings in the studio.
Speaker 1: I do not know about that. I don't think that awful track which is known as idiot Control now among MST three k fans, I don't think that's on the score album here. And I did note that on IMDb there's another individual credited as well for music, and so perhaps that individual had something to do with creation of that track. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I think outside the context of MST the song is actually called Burning Rubber Tires, which is a really wonderfully attractive name. But I would say this is actually it makes for one of the all time great MST skits. You know, you watch MST like a lot of times the skits are aren't the best part, but the skit in the pod People episode where they sing a parody of this song is it's got to be top three ever on the show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. Joel does a spoof of it and it's it's tremendous. Definitely. This is a situation where were watching it unriffed. I still had the echo of a number of the rifts in my mind as I was watching it.
Speaker 2: Steady as she goes we're flying over trout.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Except the weird thing is I thought some of the lines they sang in their version that we're just that I assumed we're just straight parody are literally the lines in the real song, Like I think all I want to feel is the wind in my eyes, which is hilarious. Is actually the lyric.
Speaker 1: I think it is? Yeah, that just sounds insane, Like, if I'm feeling the wind in my eyes, I probably need some goggles. Yeah, that's going to dislogic contact lens.
Speaker 2: Okay, you ready to talk about the plot.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the plot, all right.
Speaker 2: We get how many movies have we watched recently? I feel like this is a really common opening motif we open on a starfield, we're just looking at space. It's got to be, like, I don't know, at least four out of the last seven movies we've done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, And I feel like this one especially is kind of an example of how not to do it logically. I feel like, if you want a logical example of how to do it, look at something like John Carpenter's The Thing right where we have starfield object entering Earth's atmosphere and then we pretty much cut to stuff on Earth. We don't go back to space. We were never just stuck in space without any hint of action going on.
Speaker 2: But there's something I do like about this opening, actually that's a little more stylish than I think most of the film is, which is the base beat Star. There is like there's kind of a pulse a beat in the soundtrack that is synchronized to the flaring of a star in the middle of the void. And then of course we see after that there's a big explosion. I guess that's supposed to be a super nova or something. I don't know, But then there's like a hunk of something flying through space toward the camera. And I got to say, from what I recall, this is completely different from the opening that I remember from the version of the movie that's used in the Mystery Science Theater episode, which I recall was grainy slow mo footage from a totally unrelated movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the film Ventures International version, which that's where we got the title Pod People, that was based out of Atlanta by the way back in the seventies. But the version they put out on I assume VHS that they used footage from Don dollars nineteen eighty five film Galaxy Invader. In the opening, Don Dahler, of course, is the guy did Night Beast?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen Galaxy Invader. Galaxy Invader and Night Beast have some things in common. Both of them are about a an alien that crash lands somewhere in like rural Maryland and then runs around scaring people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we really need to do one of his films at some point. They're all basically all the alien films anyway, and he has like what three or four of them. They're all essentially the same plot. They have different and different alien or different aliens in them, but they're they're always enjoyable.
Speaker 2: One thing I remember about Night Beast is the the the titular Beast has a really cool, like like shiny suit. It almost looks like a like a suit like a cool like singer from the seventies would wear, like in a disco band or something.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, he does have a shiny suit, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: But Okay, that's the opening of what wait, which one? Which name are we even using to call it? Extraterrestrial Visitors? And then we go down to Earth and we're looking at the woods of Fog and Bog. We're in Fog and Bog territory. The atmosphere again, it kind of reminds me of those misty woods with the knights who say, Nie, it's very atmospheric. In fact, like you could imagine some of these environmental shots being kind of cool in a better movie. Like the atmosphere is not bad, it just doesn't segue into very compelling action instead of what we get is like three poachers kind of bumbling about, arguing with each other, and it's like, are we here? Are you sure?
Speaker 1: Are you sure? You're sure?
Speaker 2: And I think they're trying to steal eagle eggs or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like fumbling around for a ladder, they're scaling a tree, and they have what they claim to be like three grand worth of eggs that they've stolen, like three thousand dollars worth of eggs they're gonna sell in the black market. I was wondering if they might be fabergets.
Speaker 2: I don't know what is the market for eagle eggs. Do people want to cook them and make eagle omelets or people trying to hatch eagles? What's the deal?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but the bottom line is the very least. When we meet these three poachers, they have no respect for nature. All they see is profit and they're gonna break the break the rules. They're gonna break all rules of law and man and alien to get what they want.
Speaker 2: They are bad dudes. And then we zoom out again. It's like, I'm tired of Earth. Let's go back to space. So we just see like auroras of weird energy in space, and we see the Earth from orbit and all kinds of stuff going on, and then we come back and then they're like, Okay, you saw that. Now, let's go back to Earth. Here's a kid in bed and he gets up out of bed to scold his cat. He's talking about, like, naughty kitty. I don't remember why the kitty is naughty.
Speaker 1: I gues it's just where it's not supposed to be. I think it got up to move around. Okay. He's like, all right, I'm going to take the kitten back to bed. Yeah. This is our introduction to Tommy, a child of absolute goodness who loves animals in nature, whose room is home to roughly one hundred different species that he's carrying or they are, and they're not only his charge, they are his friends. Oh he's just he is just childhood innocence. He is biophilia incarnate. He's he's just uttersweetness in an example of what humanity could be on this world or in the universe at large. Only likable human in the picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful, wide eyed innocence and curiosity. I start contrast to the to the grumbling evil of the poachers. And then but let's go, let's go check in with the poachers again. So something crashes to earth. The poachers I think they're hanging out at a campfire where they're like, well, let's go investigate. And one of them stumbles into the crash site and it is a cave of glowing red fog.
Speaker 1: That's kind of weird.
Speaker 2: But he goes inside. In the cave is full of eggs. I don't know why, but for some reason, he's like, I gotta bash all these eggs. I gotta smash them. So he gets a stick or is it a stick or a hammer. He's just start bashing all the eggs for no reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's awful because he happens upon this holy grotto of extraterrestrial eggs, and his immediate reaction is just to start smashing them all, just like, must destroy all of these eggs, and you're like, no, don't do it, and he just keeps doing it.
Speaker 2: But oh no, there is something in the cave of glowing fog that does not like the egg bashing endeavor. We get a POV of some kind of creature that comes out from around a corner and attacks and kills the poacher.
Speaker 1: Dude. Yeah, this is creature number one, which I guess we're to think of as an adult creature or a mature creature of this species that was maybe already aboard this ship or this or whatever, or this piece of its planet, whatever the details may be concerning this thing that is crashed with eggs on it. But it's kind of, I guess, kind of an egg guardian. It does. I don't think it's supposed to be the mother, because we later get some testimony from from Trumpy creature number two in which he's asked where its mother is, He like points to the stars or points at a constellation on a map or something. So it's just another creature, a mature individual from this species.
Speaker 2: It may be Trumpy's brother or sister, but it is not his parent. But we're getting ahead of ourselves because we haven't met Trumpy yet, right.
Speaker 1: Trump, he's still so egg because not all of the eggs are smashed. It'll it will turn out later.
Speaker 2: Right, most of them are smashed. So then we follow the poacher some more. And I'm confused about what they're doing at this point because at first they were stealing eagle eggs, but then it shows them like aiming rifles at deer, so they just also happened to be hunting deer at the same time they are poaching eggs.
Speaker 1: It's confusing because it at first I thought, oh, I guess they're gonna shoot deer, because they at one point they're like the white haired one, the frank brown character, He's like, we got to get out of here. This feels weird. There's something weird in the forest. Let's move. But then they seem to stop to consider shooting some deer, so maybe they're not in that big of a hurry. And then they stopped a camp, not in a huge hurry after all. And then there are all these scenes where Brona is using the rifle to just look at things and look at people, doing things. So he's like aiming his high powered hunting rifle. I just random people in the forest.
Speaker 2: It's like the cop and Plan nine from outer space, who just points his gun at people whenever he's talking to them. Yeah, but let's go back to the house, so we check in with Tommy. He is we find more. We find out more about his innate curiosity because he is examining a centipede under a microscope and he's looking at all the little legs and the overlapping plates and the body segments and the parts, and you can tell how much he just loves learning about the natural world. But uh oh, the fact that he's looking at at a creature under a microscope, this leads to conflict with the guy I was thinking of his grandpa. But this is uncle Bill. Uncle Bill. Apparently he does not like the book Learning It is Witchcraft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. It's mentioned that it's the centipede, and Tommy gives the what is supposedly the scientific classification for the species, and Uncle Bill just hates this. He's like, no, it's a centipede to me. We call that a centipede. And it's just heated over it heated this man is awful, and even Mom is not much help. She's like, well, it's dirty. It's like it shouldn't be in here, Like there's just Tommy has all this sweetness and innocence and curiosity, and it's just like Uncle Bill's just just pounding it into the dirt as to the best of his ability.
Speaker 2: There is far more bacteria on Uncle Bill than there is on the centipede.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, Plus, you should be so lucky as to have this beautiful predator in your house hunting other pets, especially if it were a house centipede, which you know has spread with humanity around the world, and there a specially known for praying on all sorts of things you don't want in your house, like like like bedbugs, for example, cockroaches. So yeah, like you want a house centipede around.
Speaker 2: Okay, Finally we get to the band or the what do you call that? I guess when I think of a band, I think of people who play instruments. This is a singing group, a group of singers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, none of them are actually playing an instrument, right, there's just right.
Speaker 2: They're just singing over a pre recorded track. So we see them recording in the studio, they're flying over Trout and by this point we've essentially established the three movie formula. I know Mystery Science Theater also thought about the movie this way, but it makes a lot of sense. You got movie A, which is the Poacher's, Movie B, which is the Child with Pets, and then movie C, which is the singing Group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this toxic bunch of band members, and they're various hangers on and producers. They're just they're just awful, Like this whole scene, like they're doing this terrible number, and Rick is just a perfectionist, an abusive perfectionist about the whole thing. He's like, it's awful, it stinks. We're taking it from the top. Like you get the impression that he's one of these guys who's like, we're gonna do five hundred takes of this scene until we get it. We're gonna keep doing this track until we're exhausted, until we get it right. And of course they're not scaling Mount Everest here. We heard the song. We know that it is absolutely garbage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thinking of other people who do ridiculous excessive numbers of takes, I think of like Stanley Kubrick or something and not that this makes that behavior acceptable, because I mean, even then, I think it could be considered wildly excessive, abusive to the cast and stuff. But at least with Kubrick, you end up with a good movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one thing if you're talking about someone who has also has a reputation for high quality work, Like I want to say that there are similar tales about Doctor dre being very perfectionists when it comes to producing tracks and all. Yeah, but at the end of the end of the day, do you have a Doctor Dre produced track, do you have a Stanley Kubrick directed film? You have idiot control?
Speaker 2: Now this is the wind in my eyes. But okay, So they sing the song and then Rick, the lead singer, is hideously abusive to all of the other singers. And then they're all going to pile into an RV and go up to the mountains for the weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Perfect, everybody getting along. Great, let's take this to a crowded camper and head out to a crowded gabin somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh, and then there's conflict over the fact that so they like open up the door to the RV. It's like, well, we all hate each other and we've been fighting. So let's let's go on to you know, spend the weekend in the woods. And they open the door to the r V and then here is like a lady who introduces herself as Laura. They say that she is the daughter of the boss of the record label. I think, so it's like they've got to be nice to her because you know, her dad is deciding their musical fate. But immediately this causes problems between Rick the Jerk and his girlfriend Sharon, because it's for some reason immediately clear that Rick and Laura this other lady are gonna, you know, they're gonna get together. And this other guy goes up, like the nice guy. I think his name is Brian. He goes up to the girlfriend Sharon, and he's like, don't worry about it. He says, this is a quote making out with chicks is part of his act as an artist. Smooth, very smooth.
Speaker 1: Just every everyone in this group is awful or they're enabling of awfulness. It's yeah, but also it works.
Speaker 2: He says that, and she's like, yeah, you're right, but okay, you know, so let's go on a road trip with people we hate and then there's a lot of driving scenes. We see them going up and down roads and the RV and winding along while the music plays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more time is spent getting these characters to the countryside than getting that space rock from its origin to the Earth.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, we got to check in with Tommy. And here's where things really start to cook, because Tommy runs off into the woods and he stumbles across the glowing red cave and he goes inside into the red fog and he sees a dead man with led lights on his forehead in the pattern of the shape of the Big Dipper. And then Tommy's like, oh, it was a dead man with the Big Dipper on his head. Better steal one of these alien eggs.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I want to ask this is a recurring motif where people in the movie who are killed by the aliens end up with the Big Dipper on their forehead in lights, And I'm wondering, number one, why does that happen? And number two, how does that happen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a lot of questions about this too. Later on Trump he indicates that this is his home constellation, like this is where his mother is. So I guess Alien number one the non trumpye is killing people, or in some cases, perhaps finding dead people and riding the constellation on their forehead or making it appear with phosphorescent spores or something. Who knows what the xenobiological rationale is here, But I'm not sure why it would do. This is like it would be like us riding earth on dead aliens that we killed. It. I mean, I understand they want to go home, but you're not going to achieve that by just riding home on the forehead of your victims. So I'm not sure. I guess it's one of these things that don't overthink it. It looks kind of cool, it's kind of a neat effect. It just doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense.
Speaker 2: All Right, I won't overthink it from now on. That's just what happens. So, yeah, Tommy grabs one of these eggs. He's like, well, I'm going to take this back home.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's religious. Maybe it's like, oh, like we're thinking it's something bad, but as we as we later look like these these aliens they just want to be our friends. Maybe this is like last rites for them. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, so here's a thing we're thinking about an alien from the direction of the constellation of the Big Dipper would not see like it itself, would not look up into the sky and see the Big Dipper as the Big Dipper. That is a feature of our perspective from Earth. So if it were doing this in some ritual way, it would have to be sort of for our benefit or in an earth directed sense, you know what I mean, Like that wouldn't be a native piece of imagery for them.
Speaker 1: Hmm yeah, well in that case it doesn't make any sense. Sorry, Trumpy, I can't help you.
Speaker 2: But anyway, So Tommy takes the boy home and we're gonna have some some good times with the egg. He sneaks the egg into his bedroom. He you know, he talks to his animals. I think his mom's like, Tommy, what were you out you know, what were you doing out there? And Tommy lies, he says, kitty was me owing. I thought he was hungry. But then after mom goes away, Tommy tells all of his other animals, you just wait and see, you're gonna have a new friend soon. And then the kid goes to sleep.
Speaker 1: Hugging the egg.
Speaker 2: So so sweet. Now back to the kids, the not the kids. I mean the I don't know, the people in the RV, the singers, they're up to no good. They're just again just being nasty. Like the record executive's daughter Laura. She goes up to Rick the jerk in the woods, and she's like kiss me Rick, and he's like, well, okay, and then she immediately in the next scene, they're like sitting around a campfire and she's taunting Rick's girlfriend, like, tell her what we did in the woods. Rick, And I don't know why. They're just like absolutely unnecessarily cruel to each other in a way that doesn't even make sense as like normal types of cruelty. It just it's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just left feeling like these are all just horrible people and I don't care if an alien kills them in the woods.
Speaker 2: But this leads to this leads to Sharon like throwing water in Laura's face or something, and then Laura runs away and then what did you think happened here? What I thought happened was she like saw the poachers and then got scared and fell off the edge of a cliff.
Speaker 1: But oh, not only saw the poachers, but one of the poachers, the non Frank Bronna poacher and the non egg smasher one who's dead of course, you know, the non Frank Brona attempts to grab her and like abduct her or assault her or something, and so he runs away from from him, and then she runs off the side of a cliff and falls seems like quite a distance. She falls enough to where she's not completely unconscious at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so they eventually the RV people come and find her, and they take her back to the RV and they try to I don't know what does this medical scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like, okay, she at least has a severe concussion, so let's tuck her into bed and pour liquor down her throat. So they get a bottle of Jack Daniels or something, and they're treating it like it's a potion of greater healing or something.
Speaker 2: But so they eventually they're gonna they're gonna show up at the house, right, So they arrive at the house of Tommy's family asking to use a phone. You know, our friend is hurt. We need to call for help. Uh and uh, And how does the family react. Uncle Bill doesn't take kindly to strangers of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he grabs a gun. That's his first reaction to the strangers at his door pleading for help, and his attitude does not improve much at all when he finds out that they're in trouble. He's just like, all right, I guess we let him in the house. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the phones of course are out. Uh they say because of the storm. But I don't think we've seen a storm.
Speaker 1: It's just I guess all that fog, that just hideous fog bank that's rolled in. It's just destroying phone lines and everything else.
Speaker 2: Here's a metal band name Storm of Fog.
Speaker 1: There you go. I like it. Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, the road is blocked so they can't leave, so they're just stuck here at the house, and they realize they're gonna have to spend the night and tomorrow they'll go find a radio in the ranger's cabin and then use that to call for help. So this place must be very seclude.
Speaker 1: I noticed that they didn't make much use of it. But they had a bar in this film, in the in this environment, in this cabin that reminded me a lot of the bar in The Devil Girl from Mars.
Speaker 2: Yes, really well stocked lots of brown liquors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, multiple shelves, Like that's an extensive liquor collection. But I don't know, we don't really see people sitting around enjoying it. I guess they just didn't have time with all that's happening here.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the poachers are out camping in the woods, and if they're having a hard time, I thought they were going to be getting out of there, but they're just hanging around for some reason. I don't understand what the poachers are doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they at first they acted like they realized something was wrong and they needed to get the heck out of Dodge, But then they're not. There's no real rush. Later on they're like, all right, well, I guess we're walking out of here. They seem concerned about the fact that their truck is gone, but they don't really do anything about it. They accept that. The really bad poacher says, well, couldn't we steal those kids camper? And he's like, like, you idiot, you can't do that. Were already doing enough crimes here, we don't need more crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the bearded one that wants to take the RV. The other guys Frank Burana is more like, that'll get us into more trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're just here to poach eggs. We're not here to kidnap, we're not here to steal vehicles. And the bearded guys like, well, we could do all those things. We have time, let's do those things.
Speaker 2: But so they're camping out in the woods and they, oh, they encounter an alien. And I think this is the first time we actually get a look at what the alien body forms are like in this movie. So the alien is like because sort of a furry squat Chewbacca style body, but much shorter, and then the head has like a pointy apex on top, and then long ardvark snout and then pointy l fears.
Speaker 1: I thought this scene was rather effective because when we see the creature here, and granted we have some context as well, we've seen presumably we've seen it kill already, but you know, it looks a little bit cute. There's some cuteness here. It's not just completely monstrous, but there's an uncanniness to it as well. And then also the lighting is very dark. The human characters here are being very cautious around it. And then another thing that I really like about the extraterrestrials in this film is the eyes they created for them are very expressive. They're very glassy, like living looking eyes that I think give them a lot of character.
Speaker 2: But to keep up with your theory that the alien only turns murderous because it is repeatedly exposed to aggression from humans early on, So it walks up to the campfire. I don't know what its original plan is, but they start shooting it with a crossbow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're kind of like the bearded guy, he kind of he's like, hey, come on in. He's trying to small talk the alien. He's offering it a big grotesque piece of meat that they've been cooking over the fire. You know, just already kind of an unsettling display. But then Frank Brona tries to net it. They fire a crossbow bolt at it, and the bolt hits it in the hits the alien in the chest. So yeah, these are not good ambassadors of humanity.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, back at the house, uh oh, that egg's hatching. It pops open. There's a little kind of greasy, slimy little alien in there.
Speaker 1: So cute. So it's not cute yet it's already cute. It's already cute. It's the slimy little like like fetal elephant creature. And yeah, I don't know, I thought it was cute.
Speaker 2: Okay, I won't argue with you. He starts feeding the alien food. It's eating a lot. It really enjoys vacuuming up milk with its snout. He names it Trumpy. I assume that's because it has a long snout, and so that is like a trump beet. I don't think that's ever made explicit, but that's what I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It could also originate in one of the two original languages for the film. I don't know. Maybe it makes even more sense in French or in Spanish. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But the kids like, oh, we're going to play now that you're getting bigger. Do you know what playing is? Trumpy? And Trumpy does not know, but Trumpy will find out.
Speaker 1: So this is the world that Trumpy is introduced to. This is the human world that he's introduced to, a world of copious amounts of food. A lot of it is breakfast, cereals, toys, play, friendship, all the things that were denied to extraterrestrial one.
Speaker 2: But remember now this is all taking place in the same house where the RV singers are staying overnight, and apparently Laura, the record executive's daughter who fell off the cliff, she dies overnight and they come and see her, and they see something is horrible about her face. We already know what it is. It's going to be the Big Dipper with the lights. But I guess overnight, also Trumpy becomes much bigger. He grows from like the size of a little toy on the on the shelf to basically the same size as Tommy. And we see that this great scene that is hilarious in the Mystery Science Theater version where Trumpy is just surveying the buffet of Tommy's pets, panting over the rabbits and the hamsters and the cat and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they make some great riffs in that episode about him considering eating all these animals. But in the original film he does not eat any of the animals. And I kind of get the sense that these are vegetarians, that they don't eat meat, which makes the earlier offering of the grotesque meat by the bearded poacher even more fitting. You know, he's like, like, come here, organism. Would you like some organism?
Speaker 2: But in the scene we also discover via interactions with a toy robot that Trumpy has telekinesis.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, like not even just a little bit, like not just a little bit of carry white, but like full power carry white, like full almost godline telekinetic powers. Well.
Speaker 2: ET does too. I think this is an ET touch from ET.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does E t like bring the whole room to life? It's been so long since I've seen ET.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there's a scene where ET does basically the same thing Trump. He does, like makes all the you know, the toys fly around and stuff.
Speaker 1: I feel like Trump he probably does it better. I feel like I'm If I were to watch ET again, I would side with the Trumpy got because Trumpy basically uses a Simon game to cut a synth track like this Carnival synth track that starts playing like Trumpy does this by manipulating the Simon software.
Speaker 2: I did not expect your take on this movie to be so anti ET.
Speaker 1: I mean, ET's fine, you can't hate ET, but but I also I don't. I've also I've seen ET like once in my life. I've seen pod people or extraterrestrial visitors multiple multiple times.
Speaker 2: What else does Trumpy eat? So I'm trying to think do they ever feed him meat? Him suck up a bunch of milk. We see Tommy bring him, oh, a big old thing of Planters peanuts and you can see the label, So, I mean Planters surely they paid for that place.
Speaker 1: You know they did this the Reese's treatment, right.
Speaker 2: And they do a special effect where you know, Trumpy's snout is like a vacuum cleaner and it's sucking up all the peanuts. When we in this scene, we get some really good looks at Trumpy's eyes. I notice Trumpy has a vertical slit pupils cat ooh nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, these are lovely eyes. You know, whoever did this this costume? I feel like they they kind of knocked it out of the park. I like it.
Speaker 2: But Trumpy learns puzzles and games. He telekinetically solves a puzzle and manipulates a Simon says thing, Uh, there's a there's a bonding scene where Tommy is drawing and he draws this hideous picture and says, that's my mommy. Do you have a mommy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his picture of his mom looks like a rick Flare Paz to Spencer, Yep.
Speaker 2: It Also it looks absolutely nothing like his mommy, Like it's not even close, not even the same hair color. But anyway, this is the Trumpy. You can do magic things here the scene, and Trumpy turns the child's bedroom into a living nightmare of carnival music, flickering lights, dancing toys, terrorizing the pets. He sticks to the ceiling like Baron Harkoneen. It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also his eyes glow like stars. It's it's pretty great.
Speaker 2: Now. Is this the scene where Trumpy says where his mommy is and points out the constellation?
Speaker 1: I think so, because I think he shows in the picture Tommy's picture of his own mommy, and he says, where's your mommy? And He's like he points, and Tommy's like, oh, your mommy, You mean the trees. Your mommy's in the trees And he's like, no, Trump, He points that the map of the constellations and causes one of the constellations, the one of the dip, to glow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, exactly like an et. Also, there's a whole thing of Tommy trying to hide Trumpy from his family, like hiding him in the closet and stuff. Obviously this is more difficult. Well, while Trumpy is playing DJ in the bedroom.
Speaker 1: But there's the distraction of a dead woman downstairs, so I guess that probably helps cover things up. They're not as concerned about what new animal Tommy has a snuck into the house. But at one point, maybe later, but Mom gets short with Tommy and she's like, like, oh, more animals. They're all going out tomorrow. Yeah, that sounds kind of kind of harsh, Mom. You know, he loves these animals even don't get you.
Speaker 2: Come on, that's an empty threat. But meanwhile, speaking of Grizzly murders, Grandpa and one of the r V kids they go off looking for the ranger station. I think this is the guy Brian who earlier was like, hey, you know, don't worry about Rick making out with other girls. That's just part of his act. Brian and Uncle Bill they go to the ranger station. Uncle Bill just walks around pointing his gun at everything, and they find one of the poachers inside, but he is dead and he's got a big dipper in lights on his forehead, just like everybody else, and then one of the aliens attacks them. It seemingly kills the RV dude, and Grandpa escapes. Now here's a question I wonder about. Are we are we as the audience, supposed to be wondering if this is Trumpy doing the killing since in the scene right before this, Trumpy sneaks off and disappears. Or are we supposed to assume that this is a different alien that just looks identical to Trumpy. I think we discover it is a different alien, but I don't know if that's intentionally supposed to be an open question or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure on this because it seems like, on one hand, the killing started before Trump be hatched, So if we're just looking at the timeline of events, we can't pin all the murders on Trump. There has to be another a primary alien out there, extraterrestrial one. So I don't I have a hard time understanding how we the viewer are supposed to think Trumpy might be doing this. But also it's hard to reflect on this because it's been so long since I had a fresh viewing of this, Like it seems like I've always known that Trumpy was innocent and incapable of murder.
Speaker 2: He is blameless. Did you notice the Ranger cabin in the woods here has framed portraits of Ronald Reagan on the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that made me laugh. I feel like there was after I saw it. I have a vague recollection of there being a riff about the Gipper or something in the most two three K episode. But it is an odd inclusion because this again is Spain. It's supposed to be Spain, and it's filmed in Spain. I don't know why Ronald Reagan's on the wall.
Speaker 2: So we see the alien kill another one of the band members. This is the singer Tracy. He just he kills her in the r V and uh oh. This time Tommy happens to be looking through the telescope down at the RV outside I guess to witness this, and because the aliens look the same, he thinks Trumpy is the killer. Oh no, there is a rift between them.
Speaker 1: Now. Now, this is definitely the point at which, yeah, it's hard to imagine that this particular murder was itself on, that it was provoked in anyway. This seemed to be an unprovoked killing by extraterrestrial one.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, Tracy, what you think Tracy attacked the alien?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I mean Tracy's just Jesus chilling.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the rest of the survivors are all hold up in the cabin, oh except Tommy for some reason, like he runs off into the bog and fog to find Trumpy. And here there is a really weird scene where there's a standoff between Uncle Bill and Rick, the jerk lead singer, where Uncle Bill's like, have you ever used a gun before? And Rick says, I don't need a gun to defend myself, and then Uncle Bill says, yeah, you probably pay others to defend you. And then Rick aims the rifle at Grandpa here at Uncle Bill and then shoots in his direction without hitting him. He like shoots a glass beside him on the bar, and then everybody's like, why are you shooting at Uncle Bill? And he goes, I don't like anyone bugging me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the act of a rational character that we're supposed to greet.
Speaker 2: For now, Tommy comes back to so he ran off into the woods. Then he comes back and he finds Trumpy in his bedroom and playful happy music is chiming. But then there it begins this mad exchange between Tommy's a voice again, this is dubbed by like an adult woman, I think, and Trumpy's various like head nods and headshakes to communicate. So the kid is saying, Trumpy, no, stay there, stay away. Why did you kill that girl? Why did you kill that girl? Why did you do that? Now I can't be your friend anymore. Naughty, Trumpy, very naughty. Now they'll kill you. But Trumpy, I think, is able to explain himself with head nods somehow. He's like, no, no, it wasn't me, shaking his head. And then the kid's like was it someone else? Did another one do this? And Trumpy nods. He's protesting his innocence, and so eventually I think Tommy is convinced that Trumpy is innocent, and for some reason he dresses Trumpy up like a Jawa like, he puts a coat with a hood on over him. I'm not sure what the purpose.
Speaker 1: Of that is. I guess to sneak him out of the house. But there are no other children anywhere in the vicinity in the film at all, so I don't know exactly what Tommy was hoping to pull off with this.
Speaker 2: This is just my friend, the bipedal ardvark who wears a raincoat. Yeah, so we get another random alien attack. The other Trumpy species alien attacks one of the RV ladies in the bathroom. We get a mirror scare where she wipes the fog off of the bathroom mirror and it's standing behind her, and then it attacks. There are more scenes of Tommy and Trumpy arguing to Tommy saying that you have to hide or they'll kill you. And eventually this all comes to a head when the mother and Sharon I think see Trumpy like the kids trying to sneak him through the house and they're like, there, it's that monster. And Tommy tries to explain. He says, no, it wants to be our friend. He's good, he's good. They all want to be our friends, but we won't let them. And of course the mother doesn't believe that, so Tommy and Trumpy really have no choice. They flee into the woods, and here in the woods, you think the other alien is about to sneak up on Tommy and give him what for, but Trumpy intervenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we finally have Extraterrestrial one and Extraterrestrial two aka Trumpy meeting up in the woods.
Speaker 2: Now, eventually there's a big showdown Uncle Bill and Rick that they shoot the other alien, the non Trumpy alien. Grandpa is killed in this scuffle, but Rick blasts the alien to death and then it, like turbo, buries its own body telekinetically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have another self burying monster, kind of like some of the creatures in Crawl. Yeah, a great effect. I like it. I'd like to see more of it in my monster films.
Speaker 2: And there's a tearful goodbye between Tommy and Trumpy. You know, it's like they'll never accept you, Trumpy, we cannot be together. And the humans all walk off together, and Trumpy is left behind in the woods, and finally he wanders away into the mist. You never know if he gets back to his home planet or not, or what happens to him. He just wanders away, and then roll credits and Rick survives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the weird choice, perhaps a product of this film probably changing its direction and priorities at some point in production they're like, oh, we forgot to do anything with Rick. Well it's all right, but I have to say that the ending to this film. It got me. I teared up a that, you know, because the aliens, it turns out, you know, they are good. And in fact, it's not just a matter where Okay, Trump is good, but the other one is purely evil. Like we have that moment where Trumpy is able to communicate with its fellow alien, and that seems to maybe even convince him of some of this stuff, like, no, okay, a lot of these humans are bad, but Tommy's cool. They have this moment, so the aliens are good, Tommy's good. Humanity itself is just hostile and violent and mean spirited, and Tommy and Trumpy are just too good for the world. And so, but what happens. Tommy has to push Trumpy away, He has to send him off into the woods where, you know, either he does find a way back to his home Planner, or he just lives in the woods as like a wild being, like a sasquatch, for the rest of his life. And we're left wondering, like, can Tommy retain his sweetness and goodness as he continues on in this world? Is he or is he saying goodbye not only to his friend Trump? Is he not only pushing Trumpy away from him? But is he pushing away his own innocence and his own hope for a sweeter world? And I think that's that's that was all going through my head here as I was, I was tearing up watching this. Uh, this, this poor extraterrestrial being left in the foggy woods and then walking off into the wilderness.
Speaker 2: Wow, the gospel of Trumpy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And we also we have some some very potent synth music playing over all this, so that that also helped. So, like like I said, I'm I know, I'm reading a lot into this film. And also this film is you know, it's coming in the wake of ET. It's patterning itself off of existing media, and in doing so, it's retaining some of the inherent messages in those in those pictures. But I don't know. Also, maybe someone here, you know, he was he was trying to to to get this message across. Maybe he was trying to say something about about the world and about childhood innocence. I don't know. I feel like the film does have a heart, you know, there's still there's still some heart there. And what heart is there is genuine I.
Speaker 2: Wonder what, you know, what kind of new themes and possibilities emerge from a sort of patch over job like this. Because I can't remember if we already said this, I at least read about this movie. I think you may have alluded to this that it was originally intended to be just more of a heartless kind of like alien slasher movies, just more like Night Beast or something. It's just about an alien that runs around killing people. And then ET came out and they were like, oh, we got to make this a sweet story about the bond between a child and an alien and a child's love and friendship from the hearts of space and trying to smash those two things together makes for such a weird product, but maybe also having some elements that would not have have been achieved had it just been an attempt to create an ET ripoff from the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question because it kind of reminds me again of Gremlins, where the original Gremlins movie, by being totally inconsistent, seen to have a core message of haye, kids, monsters exist, and there's no Santa Claus, you know, which which clearly was nobody's key intention. But I think that's probably what comes comes. This is the kind of thing that emerges when priorities shift and the tone changes, and the tone is inconsistent throughout a picture.
Speaker 2: Every day I feel closer to doing Grimlins too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think it's it's a grand idea. I think we should. We should make it be our Christmas episode this year. Having done ETV, we have to do G two no stopping it all right, well that is extraterrestrial visitors or visitors or EVP, or of course the hatching of monsters. I think the hatching of monsters is really good because it also because we have different types of monsters. We have the alien monster and we have the human monsters. I think it's a good title. I wish I kind of wish it's stuck with that across translations mm hm. As always, we'd love to hear from anyone out there if you have particular thoughts and memories insight about this picture. You know, perhaps you know like us, grew up watching the ms T three K episode, perhaps you have prior experience with pod people or extraterrestrial visitors. Definitely write in and let us know. And hey, if you do find a superior copy of the film, out there that we're not aware of. Let us know. I'm hoping that if it doesn't exist now, at some point in the future, that'll be the next big one, because there are a lot of worse films that get the restoration treatment, and I'm not saying that that's bad. It's probably just a case of nobody's found superior footage from extraterrestrial visitors yet, but I hope they do. Maybe it's self buried itself in the Spanish forest somewhere it wants to be found. All right, till next time. Weird House Cinema publishes every Friday and the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed We're primarily a science podcast, with core episodes on Monday, No no core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursday, sorry Mondays, that's a listener mail. Wednesday that's Artifact or Monster Factor short form episode, and on the weekends we do a rerun.
Speaker 2: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Seth Nicholas Johnson. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at Stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. Stuff to Blow your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the
Speaker 1: iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.