Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 2: Hi? Everyone, welcome to Are You a Charlotte?
Speaker 1: Today we have a fun episode of Catching Up with Friends with the fantastic Rebecca Osaki, who plays one of my sorority sisters in the wonderful episode of Frenemies from two thousands, season three, episode sixteen, and you. I'm sure we'll recognize her. She's incredibly gorgeous. She's currently on a CBS show called Ghosts, and it's really fun to catch up with her. So please join me in catching up with Rebecca.
Speaker 2: Oh, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm very good. I'm so excited to be doing this with you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much for doing it.
Speaker 1: We love to have our little segment called catching up with Friends because it's fun because everyone has such different memories, and I'm just so curious what your I have very little memories. I remember being so stressed when we filmed that scene.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, so late nineties. Everyone in New York wanted to be on your show, and it was a very small part.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you even can recall it.
Speaker 2: Yes again, I just rewatched it.
Speaker 3: It was my very first job.
Speaker 4: Because I was working deep downtown theater, dance theater, and it was so It's notable for me in many ways, my very first, my very first real job.
Speaker 3: Was it scary? I mean, you know, yeah, sure it was nice, lovely.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you well you say you remember being stressed, but you were very nice.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad, thank you.
Speaker 3: Good Ava Kabakappa. Ladies did bond and we stayed friends after.
Speaker 4: I haven't talked to either of them in years, but both very talented actors. You had many great you know, downtown theater actors on that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we really made an effort, and I think that's what help make the show what it was. People might not have known that who are watching it, but you know, we knew and like the level you know of I think Michael Patrick also like very you know, he wants everyone to be like just on it, you know, in a way.
Speaker 2: That theater actors are just already prepared to be. You don't have to explain it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's part of what made this show so rich, is that, like all, even a technically small part, people were just so super talented and ready.
Speaker 3: You know, people still stop me. People actually still recognize me and text me about it. I saw you on the Pathetic, Yeah, I mean you know this whoa.
Speaker 4: But it was such an important moment in television, and it was such an iconic group of women that we were so dying to see.
Speaker 3: So this angle of your podcast is also very, very smart. So thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed doing it, and part of what's fun is getting to hear other people's perspective of what it was like.
Speaker 2: So take us back, like, how did you get the part?
Speaker 4: I mean again, I was making the rounds, so somewhat fresh out of school, out of acting school, doing a lot of theater, and I actually auditioned for the pilot, which part for Samantha Probaly in a million years I would have ever gotten. But that's how I was perceived in that moment, probably probably how I perceived myself in my twenties. Turns out I'm not at all a Samantha, much more like a charlottecause you know, I ended up marrying the good guy after my.
Speaker 3: Bigs, you know, got it. So yeah, I mean it was an audition, like you know.
Speaker 2: Of course, right what.
Speaker 3: It was over twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Ago I'm aware.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, right, it's crazy to think about.
Speaker 1: So you auditioned and then did you so you're aware of the show and you were like, yes, yes, I want to be on it. I don't care if it's you know, this part of that part or whatever. Right, like you were gay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Downtown Theater actor. There was no part that was too small. I was just so and it was just such a I mean, it was such a sexy credit and it was just was such a fun thing to be a part of, even just for a scene and a very notable episode.
Speaker 3: You guys coined that.
Speaker 2: Term friend of me is yes.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I always feel very nervous about saying that we coined anything because I just feel like it seems like maybe it might not be true.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to get to the actual origins of a new word, do you know what I mean? But it was certainly a big introduction of the world, to the culture, to the popular culture, you know what I'm saying too, because and also the concept the name and the concept of like what does frenemies mean? And I think it's such a great, great episode that really stands up, you know, so beautifully. Now when I rewatched it, I was like, wow, you know, that's really really good. There's so many different angles, you know, two frenemies and what it means, and I had I only vaguely remember this because Charlotte had so many kind of interesting different you know, she's so unexpected at times, and this is one of those kind of unexpected things that now is a meme that's super embarrassing, but whatever, it's cool. The thing that I mostly remember about that, I remember feeling excited that I got to go backwards, you know, that Charlotte's like, oh, I need to be with my you know, with my normal girlfriends or whatever, and that I wear this sweater over my shoulders, and that had been something that I hated to do. Like every part I've ever played in my life, I feel like some costume designer tries to put a shoulder through the girl.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, And I just hate it because it's so preppy.
Speaker 1: And I grew up in the South where like it's you know, Preppyville, and I was like, it's just too on the nose, right, But for that scene, it was perfection that that's what Charlotte would do going back to see her college girlfriends. But I remember being stressed because I had to get drunk and say the crazy like.
Speaker 2: Don't you e or just want to you know?
Speaker 1: And then I remember I had to throw that money back like it was a physically challenging thing to do, like I had to get up and store them off and then throw the money and then it landed in the glass.
Speaker 2: Do you remember this, I doe.
Speaker 4: You didn't seem to be it didn't seem to be anything that was that complicated for you.
Speaker 3: You did it. Yeah, that's that acrobatic. But maybe you made it look easy.
Speaker 4: That's so funny to me that you because I obviously, first of all, thank you for the opportunity to deep dive, because I, like everyone else in America watched the show. Well not everyone, most women watch that show every damn week, but I have not seen it in many years, and so I took a little deep dive and I couldn't stop watching, and I binged a bunch of them again. But I'm surprised to hear you say that in the front of Me's episode, that was anything you were concerned about because you had when you stand in your bedroom.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh I was concerned about that.
Speaker 4: You I mean that was such a beautiful scene, no vulnerable, important scene for that character, and I had forgotten about that part of the episode, you know, Yeah, I mean that that scene specifically happens, so.
Speaker 1: I forgot that that was in the same episode. And that's one thing I do think when I rewatch is the writing is just so good that there's there's so many like interesting, emotional, kind of important moments that happen for all the characters.
Speaker 3: And division between them too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, it's really so much. And in my mind, those two those two storyline, that those are separate storylines right in my head, so I don't even put them still after rewatching in the same one like.
Speaker 2: For me, you guys. And also I think it's because of.
Speaker 1: The memes, because memes rule our lives now right in a weird way. And because I do this podcast. My phone shows me so much sex and the city content. Oh my good lord, I didn't really know before I started this podcast how much was out there.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 2: It's so fascinating. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's it's truly amazing and continually amazing. But I do think again that there's just so many different reasons for that, and I think A lot of it was the writing. I think the writing was just so brave and deep and funny, and it's hard to be deep and funny at the same time, and also unlike anything else, as you mentioned. But then also just the actors, like so many incredible actors joined us, like yourself, and then you've gone on to have these great careers. Take me back to your thoughts, like, Okay, it's your first TV job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd been.
Speaker 1: Theater, theater or theater, and when you got there, did you think like, wow, this is wacky or did you think, wow, this is great?
Speaker 2: What did you think of the day?
Speaker 4: I'll be one honest with you, because back then and this is what the Law and Order and the sopranos and all this other stuff was for theater, especially Downtown Theater paid absolutely zero dollars, so I we had I think you guys ran over the first day we were scheduled to do the scene ways and it was on a Friday, and so me and Vivian Benish and Sherry Parker Lee, who were the Kapa Kapa kappas, we had to go home, not shoot the scene, and come back like four days later, which means we got.
Speaker 3: Paid more money. Great, I have to say back there in the day, like that was that was the first thing that was like, okay, great.
Speaker 4: You of course, and you were always like, she's fantastic, this is lovely.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm glad.
Speaker 1: Did it take forever when we did finally film it?
Speaker 3: Not to my recollection, no, I did.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons might have been I looked back and I noticed that your director was Michael Spiller.
Speaker 3: Who was your DP right most of the season, right right. He might have been a little faster. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, maybe he was. I don't really remember him being faster.
Speaker 1: I don't remember anyone being faster really, because we would just film all night long until the sun came up so many days, and I remember just being just delirious half the time, you know, and trying to be like, oh.
Speaker 2: Get what's that you got to act?
Speaker 1: You know, And especially especially once third season is really in my mind, when everything kind of like amped up in terms of the response and award shows and all that extra stuff you know, that you're doing on top of the show. And then fourth season I've just started watching and I have like no memories, which I just think I at some point got kind of overwhelmed, you know, in a way. Yeah, but I in a good way, right, in a positive way. I was loving everything and just trying to function through it, like how can I do this the best I can do it? But also I need to go to sleep and fully emerge.
Speaker 4: You know. We do twenty two episodes a season, and on the show that I'm doing, no way wrapped our fifth season fully don't recall a lot, and we shoot on location in Montreal too, so it really feels like we're you know, it's another life that completely takes.
Speaker 1: Over, because it is. It is another life that takes over. But also I'm so thrilled they're doing twenty two like the olden days.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, I know, I know, I feel.
Speaker 3: Really really lucky. I know how lucky I am, especially.
Speaker 4: In this point now, to have a job that I love, that people are enjoying watching, and most importantly the company of actors that they have because it's a big main past and we all really really love each other. We're all of us are most of us at least come from the theater, so everyone knows what it means to be an ensemble which is so important.
Speaker 2: That's so great, that's so great.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to hear that, because you just don't know these days, it's just so rare, few and far between that that's the situation. So I'm so happy for you. That's amazing. Five seasons. Also, like whoa never happens these days? I know, I know in Montreal incredible.
Speaker 3: Have you been to Montreal never? You should visit. It's really pretty.
Speaker 2: People love it.
Speaker 3: A little Paris in the Old Town area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've worked in every other Canadian city but that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well you should come beyond ghosts. I can tell them to call me Rebecca. I'll do it. I'll do it.
Speaker 4: Our whole crew are Francophons, so the whole crew speaks French. Every business. If you call any business there, they are actually mandated by law to answer the phone initially in French.
Speaker 3: Wow. Cool, we're in a foreign country. I love that very beautiful food town.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, incredible. Okay, so take me back. Let's go back to Sextant City many many years ago.
Speaker 2: It airs. What was response like, how did you feel when you watched it?
Speaker 4: I was thrilled, I mean, first of all, to be able to tell my parents that they could see my work in a way that didn't require them to take a train to New York on.
Speaker 3: The Lower East Side.
Speaker 4: That was thrilling, and it just was exciting. It was, like I said, it was the show everyone wanted to be on.
Speaker 2: Oh sweet?
Speaker 1: Did you feel as a theater actor? I know, like for me, I was trained in the theater. I never really thought i'd be on TV. And I did a bunch of commercials, I did other things, but like, whenever I would watch myself, I'd just be like, what, like it was so odd on camera?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't love watching myself, but I think I needed to stop being self conscious at a certain point, you know for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it wasn't traumatic. You were just like, that's cool, it's good.
Speaker 4: I mean no, I probably hated the way I looked, but also I love and I have. I've been lucky enough to be given a wide breadth of parts to play, which, as you well know, is not usual in this business. I am often asked to play the personnickety, uptight fancy lady, which so my first TV job.
Speaker 3: Playing match an structure.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe, yeah, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 1: I mean you did a great job, like, you're so believable, and I remember that all of you were so nice, right, so I kind of felt bad that you had to be like bitchy kind of or whatever.
Speaker 2: But you all did it beautifully.
Speaker 3: Oh it was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seemed very grounded.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when you were on and so you're still out there, you're auditioning, you're doing all the things. And then did people recognize you back at the day, Like did people talk to you on the street?
Speaker 2: What was it like?
Speaker 4: I don't remember, but shortly after I booked a role in The Sopranos, and I would imagine that, you know, being given that HBO like oh she's a probably meant a lot, you know. I mean people don't know initially if someone, if a young actor can handle themselves on a set in any way, you know, for the you know, have getting that first job for anybody is super important and the fact that it was such a you know, important show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Where did you film your Sopranos at Silver Cuppers out in the world?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think Silver cup existed.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it existed, It exists. Yeah, that's where we were. That's where we were filming.
Speaker 3: We shot our thing on location in Chelsea somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh got it?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, we and the Sopranos were both at Silver Cup.
Speaker 3: No, so Sopranos. We didn't shoot silver Cup.
Speaker 4: We shot someplace out in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I got it. Your own location in Jersey.
Speaker 3: Oh. I probably took a bus from Silver Cup. Sure. I took a bus from Silver Cup.
Speaker 4: A bunch of the other actors, and I ate a juturo and a bunch of other people to go out and do the table read when you all you know, by any table reads with everyone all in one intimidating room.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the Sopranos table read. I can I don't imagine such a big cast too, such a great, great cast. Was it scary?
Speaker 5: That was scary?
Speaker 4: The thing that I do remember is so David Chase. So in the audition, I played in a US an attorney, United States attorney that.
Speaker 3: Comes Johnny away. I'll tell the story briefly as it's not so Oh no, we love it well. So I was young and dumb enough.
Speaker 4: First of all, it was back in the day when you know, auditions were fifty other people waiting in the waiting room, paper thin audition room. Everyone could hear everyone else's audition. I believe David Chase was in the room.
Speaker 3: He had to have been.
Speaker 4: And so there's this long indictment that's meant to be read in the Supreme court, you know, State Supreme Court. And he's I remember him saying, that's great, Yes, I really, but don't like make it really feel like you're reading it, because it's this is a very precise legal document, you know, it's this is.
Speaker 3: Not something exemporaneous. And I said, got it.
Speaker 4: So I got the job, and like a complete lunatic, I show up and I'm like, okay, so I'm just not going to memorize it.
Speaker 3: And it bit me in the ass because we're just.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, you need to hold the paper just a little bit further away from your face.
Speaker 3: I'm just a little bit further and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, so I just had to like but like in between takes, I would just run out of the room and just like try to flash memorize these things because I didn't want to disappoint. But of course, a really great lesson to learn in your early twenties too, Like no matter what anyone says, be prepared for every possible Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, Yes, that's terrifying.
Speaker 4: That was really terrifying because I just did not want to disappoint that corset.
Speaker 2: No, you would want to be like super achame.
Speaker 1: But I also could see as an actor why that would have meant, don't memorize because he told me to read right like, I can see both sides. But then of course you don't know what's going to happen. But I mean, I do feel when you're young, like you're like like, I mean, I never did this because I was already sober. But you know when people would would have have scenes where they were supposed to be drunk, they'd be like, Okay, I need to I need to go out the night before and get drunk so that I'm like still whatever. People do crazy things, is my point, you know what I mean. I never did that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, never did that. No, no, me, neither me neither.
Speaker 1: Well. How amazing that you were on our show and their show at the same time, like roughly meaning time period.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. What a great, great beginning to your career.
Speaker 4: Elements was changing in such a radical way with those two shows that that's you guys were both started late nineties, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we when we filmed our pilot was ninety seven, and HBO when they sent the contract, they were like, oh, we can't play with pay with the network's pay.
Speaker 2: We're not a real network. We're just beginning. No no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: We were like, oh.
Speaker 2: God, all right.
Speaker 1: And then for our crew, we filmed our pilot I want to say, in June May or June, and then they wanted to make a double deal with our crew so that they would just go right directly to do the Sopranos Project pilot. So it was right after us in Jersey, and I remember I think our makeup artist saying like, oh, yeah, you know, they want us to do some mob show set in Jersey, and I was like, oh, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Like he so did not understand what it was, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, no one understood what it was until that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right right.
Speaker 1: So a lot of our crew did go, but then we would overlap, so sometimes we would That's why we like, they'd be down the hall at Silver Cup and we'd.
Speaker 2: Try to steal their food.
Speaker 1: That's the story I've told that was printed everywhere because they had really great craft.
Speaker 2: Service right, way better.
Speaker 1: Than ours, no offense to ours, but like meat balls and hot food and like they were so into their food and we would just.
Speaker 2: Be like, how can we get that food down here? But it was really fun.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the snacks.
Speaker 4: I don't I remember the crafty on either job, which probably to answer your question more honestly, which is yeah, I was probably completely scared less on both jobs.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you be?
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't you be?
Speaker 1: That's incredible as your first jobs, My god, so great. But you know, obviously you're just super talented and they could see it right away, which is wonderful.
Speaker 3: Well that's kind of you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, look at you still having such a great career. It's not easy.
Speaker 4: Well, I feel like I've aged into my face. I have a period face. Oh, I mean I'm literally playing someone who's you know, one hundred and fifty years old.
Speaker 3: That's ezy.
Speaker 1: That's super interesting though, And yeah, I mean you have a very specific look that I think lends itself to a lot of good things. Like I could see you playing interny, I could see you playing my like, you know, kind of upper crust sorority sister. You know, you definitely have a period face. I mean, but those things are so so great. But then if you don't have the things, the skill that the you know, talent that all the things to fill that in, it doesn't really mean anything, you know. Yeah, anyway, I love it. I love talking to you. I love seeing you. Sometimes I'm like, oh, one of my sorority sisters, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's so New York, right.
Speaker 1: I live in LA but we were working in New York. But yeah, no, I've just been on TV, like on the screen or you know what I mean. I'll be like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: We're also in the streets of New York. I mean, people must feel like they own you in New York, right.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, it's kind of the opposite of the norm and that, you know, they're always like, oh New Yorkers don't care. But I'm always thinking like wow, I mean it depends where right and depends how I'm dressed.
Speaker 2: So you know, you can.
Speaker 1: If you think it through before you leave the house, you can, you can fly under the radar. But like, roughly, I can't. I can't walk down Madison ABBI really I can't. I can't shop, you know. Yeah, it's just too it's too specific, you know what I mean saying. And when Barney's was still there, we couldn't go to Barney's, which was really hard because we really loved Barney's and we kept trying to go and it just didn't go well.
Speaker 2: But you know, there's just two it's too it's too.
Speaker 1: Much right to think that I could somehow anonymously do the things that the characters do, right though, I do think that Sarah and Cynthia, who lived there, I think that they really I think that they've got it down, like how how to where to go, what to wear or how.
Speaker 2: To you know, you can do it. You can do it, is what I'm trying to say. You can.
Speaker 1: You can find under the radar if if you're if that's what she would like to do that day.
Speaker 4: Right, they're both lovely, but you know Cynthia and then extent I see her out in about the theater and stuff sometimes and we've got lots of mutual friends and she is I think, possibly the very nicest woman in show business. Yeah, so talented and so she just finished the run.
Speaker 3: Did you see her?
Speaker 2: Missed it? I missed it. I'm so sad about.
Speaker 3: Play Jordan Harrison, and she was magnificent.
Speaker 2: She heard Sarah Saar.
Speaker 1: I loved it and I had a plan and then the kids got sick and I couldn't go, and you know, it's sad. Yeah, I love to see Cynthia on the stage. It's super special, super special and amazing.
Speaker 2: Do you miss the theater?
Speaker 3: I do? You know?
Speaker 4: My husband is a lighting designer for the the so I kind of get my fix in that.
Speaker 3: Way a little bit.
Speaker 4: But we just relocated from LA back to New York like just within like a couple months ago.
Speaker 3: Oh, which is intense. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think I think I might do more theater now today.
Speaker 2: That's exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great. Nothing, I'm twenty two episodes. I'm I'm I need a little break.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I can't even believe anyone's doing twenty two episodes these days. It's pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: But yes, it does take over your life for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure. Well, thank you so much for joining us. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: So good to connect and hear the updates and the congratulations on your show and moving back to New York.
Speaker 3: That's fun to you on the podcast all else in your life.
Speaker 2: Thank you and.
Speaker 3: For looking truly like you have not aged that I'm to age.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, but thank you so much. I have a lot of light on me right now. As you can say a.
Speaker 3: Lighting designer, it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, nice perk. Love it. You look fantastic.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Wonderful to chat with you too. Thank you, Rebecca. I have a great day.