Speaker 1: How many times should you be dead me?
Speaker 2: A lot of times for sure. I was like, well, I'll never see thirty, Like there's just no chance. And then I'm like, oh no, I'm thirty. I gotta like try to do something with this time that's left.
Speaker 3: So I hope you say it every decade. I'll never see fifty, I'll never see sixty.
Speaker 2: I'm still going.
Speaker 3: Kosha Cosha Shows show. Hey, y'all to me Daniel Tosh and welcome to the Queer Country Hour. We're every week we take country music and flip it.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Eddie?
Speaker 4: I'm doing pretty good, Daniel.
Speaker 3: Oh no, Eddie, don't you do That's not it's wrong coming from you because you can't We don't see your face, so we can't tell the tone necessarily, Eddie.
Speaker 1: I got a question for you. Sure you uh, how often or first? First question? Do you ever google yourself?
Speaker 4: I mean every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to read what people are writing.
Speaker 4: Hmm, I mean not so much.
Speaker 1: Ah, man, you're missing out. It's what I do all day long.
Speaker 3: All day long, I'm just googling myself, Like, oh, you know, I got a few burner accounts. I go to the comedy blogs, and I just try to Hey, you know, I'll be talking about somebody's new specialty.
Speaker 1: Oh I did not as good as Daniel Tosh. I always do that.
Speaker 4: It's tricky.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Well, Eddie, now I know that you have created a Google test for me, an auto phill little test.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and let's see if you can stump me.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna read you some prompts and you guess the auto film.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is just things that you typed in with my name, and I have to finish out the search.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, let's go.
Speaker 4: First one, did Daniel Tosh.
Speaker 3: Give away three million dollars to underprivileged children?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I'm not seeing that.
Speaker 1: Okay. The reason you're not seeing is because I haven't done it yet.
Speaker 4: Okay, that will probably pop to the top.
Speaker 3: But once, if we start spreading the word and people start searching, then that's all it matters.
Speaker 1: Then I don't actually have to give it away.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 1: Nor did Daniel Tosh? All right? What's the first auto phil.
Speaker 4: First one is retire?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I did retire? All right? What else?
Speaker 4: Did Daniel Tosh's house burned down?
Speaker 3: That's the second one? Did Daniel Tosh's house burn down? That happened? Actually you know two properties, but let's not get into.
Speaker 2: That, all right.
Speaker 4: Number three, go to jail?
Speaker 3: Did Daniel Tosh? You're saying that's the third search? When people say did Daniel Tosh? The third search is did I go to jail?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: What have I gone to jail? I'm a saint. First of all, I give away millions of dollars.
Speaker 4: Kids got all that money?
Speaker 1: Ah? Is anymore?
Speaker 4: One more? Create Brickleberry?
Speaker 3: Did Daniel Tosh create Brickleberry, the animated show that ran Uncommedy Central for three and a half years. No, that was created by wac On Roger, But they had tried to sell the show to Fox and Fox didn't passed on it or something. So they brought me in because I had some pullover Comedy Central. And I forced the people a Comedy Central to air the show. So No, did I create it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Did I get it on the air?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Without me, it wouldn't have gotten on the air. And I said to them I will not do any voices on the show. And they said, well, we're not going to put it on the air unless you do the voice.
Speaker 1: And I said, all right, I will all right.
Speaker 4: Next one, okay, was Daniel Tosh.
Speaker 3: Was Daniel Tosh caught giving away millions of dollars to underprivileged children?
Speaker 1: Is that the first result?
Speaker 4: Still not there?
Speaker 1: Huh? Okay, go ahead?
Speaker 4: Was Daniel Tosh in The Love Guru.
Speaker 3: M yeah, I was two days. By the way, as I recall, the movie that killed Mike Meyer's career. When I showed up on set of The Love Guru. The first thing they said to me, the director walked over and me and goes, why do we cast him? He doesn't look like he would be a cowboy at all, and he just walked away like just complete asshole thing.
Speaker 1: I didn't care. I was like, whatever, Yeah, that was nice.
Speaker 3: I also would like to point out my manager, Christy Smith, how horribly she dropped the ball.
Speaker 1: She sent me the script and.
Speaker 3: Said they were doing a bunch of comics in this movie and they wanted you to be in it. And I said, I go I read it. It's awful, and she said, now now you don't get it. Mike Myers. It's Austin Powers, it's Shrek, blah blah, all his movies work. And I was like, whatever, this is horrible. So it's good to know that my instinct was that it was horrible, and then I still did it. I hope that doesn't burn any bridges for me in future work anyway. Was Daniel Tosh in the Love Guru? That's the number one result?
Speaker 4: Okay, number two? Married?
Speaker 1: Was I married? No, I'm still married. I've only been married once. I got engaged twice.
Speaker 3: But I'm not going to talk about my first engage mint that happened, you know, thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll tell you about it now. It's a depressing story.
Speaker 4: Was Daniel Tosh in Otaco Bell commercial campaign?
Speaker 1: I was like Pete Davidson.
Speaker 3: Before Pete Davidson, you know, he used to bang all the hotties and then sell tacos.
Speaker 1: You know, Taco Bell. I'm gonna tell you the real story on Taco Bell.
Speaker 3: So I did an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman and his company, Worldwide Pants gave me a development deal. This is in two thousand and one. Taco Bell had me as their spokesperson. I replaced the chihuahua. The campaign didn't do that well. They paid me around a half a million dollars every day. I shot a commercial. I think they had me for six hours, and then after six hours they had to pay make thirty thousand dollars for every hour past that. And the very first day we started to go over the shoot and they came to me and said, hey, can you turn a blind eye and let us not pay this penalty? And I was like, I guess I was new to the business. I was like, yeah, Yeah. Day two, they tried it again. I said no, I don't think so, and we went three hours over and I was watching a Dolphins game like in a hotel room, getting paid thirty thousand dollars an hour to watch my Dolphins lose. Best game I think I've ever watched it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Some of the commercials didn't even air, Like I shot a bunch and some of them didn't there.
Speaker 4: Whatever was Daniel Tosh on Seinfeld?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: The number five result was Daniel Tosh born in Germany?
Speaker 1: Yep? Now I was born in Germany.
Speaker 3: Why would you why would you write? Why would you search? Was Daniel toshborn in German? Why wouldn't you just write? Where was Daniel toshborn?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Whatever?
Speaker 4: Next one is Daniel Tosh.
Speaker 3: Still planning on giving millions of dollars to underprivileged children.
Speaker 4: Nope, huh is Daniel Tosh married?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 4: Is Daniel Tosh a liberal?
Speaker 3: That's the second result? Yep, is Daniel Tosh a liberal? Ah no, don't pay me with that brush. I'm a fiscal conservative that loves abortion. What's the third result?
Speaker 4: Is Daniel Tosh conservative?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: Of course I'm conservative. You know I have to. You have to know my roots. I come from a good family. Sure I pretend to be liberal from time to time, but deep down, oh, nothing but elephants.
Speaker 4: Fourth one is is Daniel Tosh touring?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's how you would. That's how you find out you just have been.
Speaker 3: I don't even want I don't even want to tell those people how to get tickets to see me perform live because I don't want them there. I don't want someone to come see me live. That's like I need to know, are you still touring?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: This is boring? I got the last one?
Speaker 3: Who is Daniel Tosh interviewing today? Number one result? My favorite grease monkey enjoy.
Speaker 2: Posha.
Speaker 3: My guest today came here on his own down the old only road he's ever known, the pch like the drifter that he was. He was born to walk alone, even though he has three children. But he's made up his mind and he's not wasting no more time. Please welcome Drift Raster Mechanic, the former host of Hot Rod Garage.
Speaker 1: Tony Holy Cow. Hey all that because the word drifter was in it.
Speaker 2: You don't have a lot to choose from.
Speaker 1: When you're going to White Snake, are you a fan?
Speaker 2: Oh? Big time, big time? Didn't they have a horrific fire?
Speaker 1: All? Wasn't what it was a white snake fire right? That was great white?
Speaker 2: Now, that was a great white Fuck those guys.
Speaker 1: Do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 2: No? Maybe, I don't know. I'm from a very old part of the country.
Speaker 3: So you're from Philly, Eddie, big Philly guy back there. Why does Philadelphia have the worst people on the planet? Take your time, ah, just full stop.
Speaker 2: Disagree. You know. I think they get a bad rap. I think that it's the complete opposite of the West Coast. When I lived here for nine years or so, I had the worst culture shock. You could have dropped me in like Nairobi and I probably would have gotten along better. My brain didn't work here because people here. I feel like, are kind of nice to your face and sort of manipulative and sort of rough and mean, like not to your face, And Philadelphi's the opposite. Philadelphia. I believe people are rough and rugged and can be a little bit nasty, but they're all trying to be good people, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: All right, let me stop you right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have personally heard that about the fake niceness of Los Angeles my whole life. Yeah, and here's what I say to that. Yeah, good ah, you mean you're nice to my face. That's when I want you to be nice as opposed to aggressive. Like I'd much rather somebody just say, hey, how's it going and then walk away and then tell their significant other.
Speaker 1: I think he's a piece of shit. That doesn't affect me. You're gone.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 3: That's where I stand. Were you always interested in cars as a kid pretty much?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I liked cars, but I never learned how to work on him. It's my father's fault. I had go karts. Oh cool, you know, I had a Honus Civic that's right in line, that's in the world an si.
Speaker 2: Oh that's hot. Yeah, hardware.
Speaker 3: Right, Please explain how professional drift racing even works for those of us who just learned while reading this question that professional drift racing was even a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's basically a cool looking, cool contest in your car.
Speaker 1: It's not necessarily a race for times.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not a race for time. The cars are incredibly fast, they're making usually a thousand horsepower. But the idea is there's three major components. It's like, you know, style, line and angle. Style is like how impactful it is visually, how over the top it looks. Line is like the judges. There's three. There's a panel of judges. It's judge, it's judged. Yeah, it's tough. You're not wrong. It's tough because everyone is incredibly good now, and the difference between winning and losing is really hard to do.
Speaker 3: People like myself, if we're watching it, I'm not going to know the difference between why a judge scored blank verse blank exactly.
Speaker 2: So they'll tell you where to be on the course and then they'll judge you on how well you do with that. And then angle is like how much the car is sideways. But it's all judged, and I think that's one of the limiting factors that's really hard for the layman to walk up and go that was better than that.
Speaker 3: When's it gonna get in the Olympics. I don't know you could get it in twenty twenty eight in La. Yeah, since drift racing professional drift racings was geared toward judges, did you try to like be extra reckless for the judges or Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, especially so American style is like super over the top, smoky reckless. The judge you goes like, you know, when you when you throw it into that first turn, there should be like, oh is he gonna make it? Moment?
Speaker 1: Always rear wheel drive or all wheel drive, real will drive.
Speaker 2: Always.
Speaker 1: You didn't think I was gonna ask that?
Speaker 3: Did you know? Well, I know I know how to peel out? Yeah, of course I got you do.
Speaker 2: Oh a good car. That's a good that's a good car. Man. All right.
Speaker 1: Was it drifting invented in a I'm.
Speaker 2: Just gonna say Japan, Yeah, Japan.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: Technically it seems as I mean, a million you know boomers want to tell you liked it in our pickup trucks and on dirt roads where I'm from, and we're like, yes. The difference is that these guys kind of like really focused on sliding around on back mountain roads in Japan. Everyone in America going straight drag racing. Japan has tons of turns and mountain roads and their cars are smaller they handle better. So what they tried to do was to start racing up and down the mountain and people would gather and watch, and they realized that they like hung the tail out, they get a big, big response and the crowd people would hoot and holler and get stoked on it. So then they were like, well, fuck trying to go fast, Let's just slide these things around. And it became sort of like an instant, like intense subculture of racing, like amateur stuff, illegal at night and in the mountain of Japan. And one of the dudes, this guy, uh Kachi Suchia, evolved and developed into a real racing driver, and they were He was racing a Corolla, which is a little rebel drive eighties sport car. It's not a regular Corolla by any means. Anyway, he was out in a field of other Corollas racing in a very serious race and he had just out the car. It was not fast, it wasn't competitive at all, and you decided to just start hanging it out in the turns and people went insane and they were like, what is this And He's like, this is what we do where I'm from in the mountains. And then after that, immediately all the Japanese magazines picked up on it. They started having these little ecoten events and these little drifting specific events, and that was it. That was probably I think early nineties. They brought a couple things over to the States in the late nineties, and then a few years later we sort of started the first.
Speaker 1: When is the first time you actually were in a drift race? How old were you?
Speaker 2: I was probably twenty two. What year the early thousands.
Speaker 3: How old were you when you responded to the Craigslist ad that.
Speaker 1: John and Dylan we're looking for a roommate.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight?
Speaker 3: I think John and Dylan that they know run this show. Dylan usually fucks it up. You guys all lived together, like sixteen of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically I was leaving a total desay. I'd moved to la and when I started racing, we like lived in garage and got our girlfriends to pay rent. If that was like a good year for you or something, And then you wind up back in the garage because it didn't work out. And so I lived in this house in La Cagnata. Nothing worked in the house. Like you turn the faucet on, it went into the dirt below the room. Somehow. It was a mess. It was a disaster. One or two guys lived in the garage. We're just building drift cars and living like wild squirrels more or less. And that eventually got shut down because they were going to develop the land. And I needed a place to live, and I just found a Craigslist ad. I don't even remember what it said, but it was like, Oh, we're in mid city. We're looking for a roommate. There's like a little cubby hole in our attic. We're trying to get a couple hundred bucks rent for it. And I was like really needed a place to go. So met with those guys, Dylan and John. It was like a fleet of them. There were so many people. They did a thing or I've never seen in my life. So the average Los Angeles dream is like you get off the proverbial bus with your three hundred dollars and twinkle in your eye. These dudes brought everyone they'd ever met. It was like their childhood best friends, the guys they knew from college. It was like fourteen of them. So they had this like a whole circle, like little mini societ, and they put a little panel together to see if I could go live there. I think John was a resounding yes right off. He told me later, Oh, he couldn't be more excited that you're here. He's just just all just all week. Oh man, I can't wait for Tony. You'll you'll never meet someone more interesting. And I'm like, fuck Tony, is what I started saying toward the end of the week. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Were you a professional drift racer before you moved in with them?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that lets you know all you need to know about how much money is in professional drift racing.
Speaker 2: That's true, especially then, you know, we were like four years into having an American Pro Series. At that point, the only thing I was good at was like building the car and driving it. The business side, we just came from like being regular kids who are interested in this random thing to being like go run a go run a like a racing program and get sponsors, and we were just excited anything we thought early on in drifting, we were like, we're gonna be pro drifters, and then it's we're basically in like the early days of like what's going to be the new you know, Formula one. Like we were like, this is there's no limit to how big this is to get. We're gonna be household names or like it's gonna help grow the sport. And it's grown slow, steady growth over however many years, but we were definitely pumped.
Speaker 3: You had the mindset of being on the ground floor that I'm going to be a part of greatness. When I was a kid, one time, I was like, I'm going to start playing paddleball, you know on the beach where you just hit the ball back and forth. I was like, I'm going to take that to the next level and make it a professional sport. And I was into it for like three weeks. I think it's fucking stupid.
Speaker 2: Pickleball is like, that's like one shade off a pickleball.
Speaker 3: I know, I didn't have the foresight to stick it out. What's the most the highest you were ever ranked at the end of a season you called a season at the end of the season, probably in the high teens, and how many racers are there. When I was racing, there would be like usually seventy or eighty licensed racers, all right.
Speaker 1: Made to the high teens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah we did. That's excite.
Speaker 1: You were fifteenth best in the world at.
Speaker 2: Something pretty close. I would think at some point like, that's so impressive.
Speaker 1: I mean people always think like you have to be number one and stuff.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 3: No, no, high teen, I'll get you there high teens that I'm impressed. What sets the number one drift guy apart from number.
Speaker 2: Fifteen consistency usually having a really good car. It's a tough sport if you don't have as much car as you need.
Speaker 3: Talk about the finances between number one and number fifteen.
Speaker 2: I stopped drift racing in twenty fifteen or so, okay, But basically cars are four hundred, five hundred thousand dollars and then it takes about that much to run them, Like in a number one kind of team retires you go through hundreds a year for sure, hundreds hundreds. Yeah, yeah, you rotate them they not really, no, no, you don't. You get about two thousand feet out of a set of retires.
Speaker 3: You change your own oil in all your cars, me not all the time. No, do you ever like drop your car off to get serviced.
Speaker 2: Stuff we don't want to do? Yeah, I have a like a buddy who has a shop right in town, and I'm like, do this thing I don't feel like doing or have time to do.
Speaker 3: Be honest, What a effect did The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift have on you being interested in this career?
Speaker 2: No? I was way pre Chuggyo Drift. One of my cars is in Tokyo Drift. The car Mine and my competition cars.
Speaker 3: Now that one had the inbred guy starring it instead of beautiful.
Speaker 2: Paul Walker that science fact.
Speaker 3: Something was off about him, and I'm like, they replaced Paul Walker, the most beautiful man I've ever seen with This guy had a list, I believe. And that and Vin Diesel's not in that movie either, which is or maybe it made a cameo at the end, but that was both Paul and Vin were like, we're above Fast and the Furious, and then all of a sudden came back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You ever race for pink slips in your entire life?
Speaker 2: No, looks fun.
Speaker 1: Though you have a dumb noss button in your car? No, I have never had one.
Speaker 2: I've had nitres on cars, but we have it run in a very sophisticated way where the computer says, oh, there's this much throttle and you're at this much boost level. Turn the nitres on kind of thing.
Speaker 1: See, because what I've always learned is you should press it second.
Speaker 2: Yes, you don't want to do it too early, right, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: If if I've learned anything, where are you at on EV's drifting?
Speaker 2: I don't mind evs nearly as much as a lot of people in the aftermarket automotive racing community do.
Speaker 1: Are they too heavy to drift?
Speaker 2: They're just boring. I mean, they are not too heavy to drift that they did have a Chabby had an electric Camar a couple years ago. They couldn't really dial it in. But it's it's definitely a challenge. I'm not I don't think you should have them in the same class or together anything of that. Uh huh.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like like transgender.
Speaker 2: I'm not answering whatever comes.
Speaker 1: By the way, what do you guys think of a street takeovers?
Speaker 2: Oh? Hate them? I mean it's just a disaster waiting to happen.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm driving down the PCH with my brand new firstborn son, my wife. My wife is driving. Okay, so you should triple hate it now. Okay, I'm not one of these guys that's so progressive that when my wife gets in the driver's seat I don't immediately go oh fuck yeah I do. I'm like, god, damn it, today's the day, like anyway. So she's driving. All of a sudden, we're on the PCACH right in front of Neptune's net which so we're almost leaving La County getting into Ventura County, and I go hit the brakes, honey, hit the and kids just start running into the street. Stop both lanes of the PCH Highway, both lanes, and so we're the front car.
Speaker 2: You got the best seat in the house.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, But I'm a newborn dad, so I'm a little bit nervous, and I've got her behind the wheel of a g wagon. So I'm just waiting for her to mow people over. And all of a sudden, they start, you know, sliding, and I go just go. She's like what, I go, go go? And did she go to the right off road? This truck this they can do it? Get off the road. I don't want them to swipe us. That was my thing. Anyway. That was the closest I've ever been. I was so nervous, so full circle.
Speaker 2: Neptune's net is like heavily featured in The Fast and Furious, and that's why they did it there.
Speaker 1: Oh, they wanted to recreate it.
Speaker 2: It's like a big It's like, you know, it's like a pilgrimage you make if you come to the West Coast with cars. I people were always goofing around. There's always UDEs on Harley's ripping wheelies right there, and.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give you one more full Circle Fast and the Furious moment, and it's it's almost sounds like I'm making this up. Years later, I'm in an Electricribvian with my son and we pull up to the light at Pepperdine on pH next to a Ferrari with a hot chick in the passenger seat, just like that scene where Paul and Vin were like, he doesn't know what's in this Honda Civic.
Speaker 1: We got one hundred thousand under the hood whatever, he says. I remember the movie, and I go, I go.
Speaker 3: I tell my son, I go, buddy, this is not right, but we've got to race this.
Speaker 2: Like listen, you don't know, but there's history here.
Speaker 1: We have this. We're reliving a scene now.
Speaker 3: If Paul Warker was alive and he saw a pickup truck doing zero to sixty and under three seconds, he would lose his mind.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: So we did it.
Speaker 2: He did. He smoked that.
Speaker 1: No we didn't smoke. Okay, No, we didn't smoke him.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we were next to her, yeah, for the first sixty and then I said, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's all we rate. We raced to sixty and that's it.
Speaker 2: Like a responsible dead.
Speaker 1: God, damn it. You ever drift with any of your girls in the backseat.
Speaker 2: I have not done that yet. My girls are fo My twins are five, and my oldest is eight. We're getting very close. I've taken them out in some fast cars just so that something.
Speaker 1: Strap them in and slide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will soon enough.
Speaker 1: John told me he went with you to Brazil. Is that where you were at?
Speaker 2: John? Panama?
Speaker 3: Panama, went to by Panama. And then he's like, this was back when you were racing. And he says, like, you guys were like the Beatles, and I'm like, were they were. They really like the Beatles. Could you walk down the street and actually be recognized by people?
Speaker 2: Not really, you know, it's such a focused little community, especially drifting stuff.
Speaker 1: But in the community, Oh for sure, it was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super fun.
Speaker 1: Were you a monster?
Speaker 2: I was a complete dickhead, Like until I was twenty nine years old. I was like, why won't sponsors come back after this year? And then I'm like, oh, because I kicked the windows out of the rental car and once the head rest out on the highway because we were mora, I.
Speaker 3: Was You're I'm I'm not mad at that behavior. Yeah, that's when you should be a mora. Oh I was a complete jaz Guess.
Speaker 1: You raised cars and you were in your twenties.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The thing that happened was we were regular kids, were like, drifting is this random, cool thing we like to do, And two years later they're like, you're the pro drift. You guys are like in the Pro series and we had no money. Like it's also the weirdest thing where we were sleeping on a couch or like literally in a garage two weeks out of the month, and then one weekend you're like with your team and your suit and there's like no end to the bar tab and you can do whatever. And you're twenty six and you're in some new towns. So we were I was the worst defender for sure.
Speaker 3: Similar I was a monster in my twenties. I graduated college and got a TV show in South Beach, Miami, interviewing hot girls on the beach. Yeah, okay, so I'm going to be a monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Of course we rented.
Speaker 3: We had production minivans, and so me and my friends, I, you know, I would drive one of them. The other world drive and the rule was whoever was in the back wasn't allowed to hit their brakes. Yeah, under the rule, under no circumstances.
Speaker 1: And that's always so we just slipped the car on the front would just constantly just slam on the brakes and you just rammable.
Speaker 2: But that's good clean fun.
Speaker 1: It's good clean fun. Oh, it's good clean fun. Can you drift any vehicle?
Speaker 2: Kind of it's tough to like really navigate through it series of turns, but like you could slide just about anything around golf cart. Yeah, I've tried it for sure.
Speaker 1: Have you tried it on a real golf course?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It slicked they'll go. Yeah, I'll go once it's wet. I think all bets are off.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you'll let more people die in golf carts at racetracks than racing cars. No, yeah, isn't that? Why? Well, I just und wicked, wicked, dangerous.
Speaker 3: I'm guessed that there's way more people in golf carts than there are racing cars.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been seriously injured in an accident?
Speaker 2: Nothing terrible. I've crashed a lot of cars. I've only flipped one.
Speaker 1: How many roles did you do?
Speaker 2: Just one? Just to flop?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not even a full roll?
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen a car just plow into a group of people?
Speaker 2: Lot of people, know, not a group of people?
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 3: Ever you ever hang your edge too close to a cliff like on mohalland up there?
Speaker 2: Did I put a tire off on Pike's Peak? In Colorado?
Speaker 3: One time I took my father in law. I said, hey, you want to go We're in Tahoe. There's a church parking lot nearbying those fresh snow. You want to go do donuts? And he goes, he's from Florida. He goes, You know, I've never done a donut before and I said watch this, and we went over there and we started spinning donuts. And as soon as we pulled out and left, he goes, that was very enjoyable.
Speaker 2: He sounds great.
Speaker 1: You ever raced in snow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit. What's that like? I've done ice drag racing in Wisconsin. That was incredible on like a frozen lake. This is like very low buck like diy vibes. They just wanted to keep racing and they have like three months out of the year there's no snow on the ground, so they just took their cars. They ran a million dry wall screws through the tires and seal them up, and they race them straight on a frozen lake and they hook up super hard, like they accelerate as hard as they basically normally would. You can't steer them because the fronts don't have studs in them, and you just hold on and hope for the best, and it's it's wicked fun. That was super fun.
Speaker 1: You ever consider doing the cannonball Run?
Speaker 2: Not really, I don't. The kind of ball stuff I think is super reckless.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, but did you hear all that all the records were shattered?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just like, imagine this is how obsessed and singular vision car dudes are. The world is falling apart. There's so much uncertainty. Can we get toilet paper? Is the water going to keep running? Are billions of people gonna die? Early days, we had no it was bedlam. This guy's out there tuning up his radar attack there he's filling the gas. It's like, I'm going to show those idiots, ah, and then they're trying to avoid it. So it doesn't count because it was COVID and people weren't supposed to be on the freeways, but he did.
Speaker 1: They destroyed the records all right.
Speaker 3: After retiring from drifting, you hosted a show on Motor Trend called hot Rod Garage where you brought old beaters back to life.
Speaker 1: What was it like transitioning to on camera.
Speaker 2: I'd read this article that was written. I thought it was really interesting. It said it's like twenty ten. It was like, Ken Block, Danica Patrick, and Dale Earnhardt Junior are America's like most popular racing drivers and they don't win shit. And it was like, oh, that's because they're doing so much outside of this. They're on camera, they're doing these like groundbreaking YouTube videos like all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Of them was a hot girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of them was a hot girl. So yeah, I was like, I want to focus, Like I think video is my next step. I grew up doing hot rides before drifting, so I did kind of have the chops and knew what I was talking about. But it's definitely a moment of like, who is this import idiot dude who we've only ever seen drive Mosses and Toyota is now telling me what to do with my old Chevy. But after about a year, a couple things fell into place and we started kind of taking off.
Speaker 3: And those those diehard loyal fans are just so opinionated.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, big time, big time.
Speaker 1: Now, would you rather push a forward than drive a Chevy?
Speaker 2: No? Probably not?
Speaker 3: Okay, No, you hosted the show for six seasons. Did Chris McCarthy fire you and destroy hundreds of families that depended on your show to continue for five more seasons because you had a contract and you had just signed it.
Speaker 1: That's about my show?
Speaker 2: Oh I get it. Yeah, No, that didn't happen. I just left my show because I want to be home more. Good for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, you did six seasons. How many episodes did.
Speaker 2: You we would do? I think I did ninety five or something.
Speaker 1: I mean cars, did you build there a lot.
Speaker 2: We'd build five cars a year or something.
Speaker 1: Did you actually do the builder was like, once the cameras got out.
Speaker 2: From no, it's just us. So it was me and my buddy Lucky. You became the co host. He was originally a little bit off camera wrench guy, and I kind of got hired on to do this show with David Freiberger, one of the he hosts Roadkill, of their biggest sort of show at the time. David just like went off and did another thing, and they're like, well, you're just going to do it by yourself, and it's pretty tough to I don't know if you ever hosted a show by yourself. It's pretty hard. So I tried doing that for like a season. It was kind of wonky. And then we're like, well, Lucky's here, and he's this old, smart ass, kind of like grizzled awesome dude who's working on the cars. Anyway, like this is bring him in and people really responded to it. So after you know, five years or so, we'd really built something pretty cool. And it was just us doing the car stuff.
Speaker 3: And then he just walked away from it and he said, I'm going to do the exact same show, but slightly different on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of, I know. Yeah, it seems like a genius move, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When I was at high Garage, I was picking up picking out the cars that we would I decided what projects we would do. I'd write all the outlines. I would get all the parts either ordered or be like, make the list of the parts ordered. We'd choot the show, I'd host it, and then I was involved in editing. I would go through the cuts. Someone you guys taught me how to do all this stuff. I'm just gonna go do it over here.
Speaker 3: I never learned how to do any of that stuff, But I said, why not instead of, you know, paying fifty people to do the show, why don't I just pick three of the people that can do most of it. Yeah, and you know, and then Dylan and go on to that's good and let's make a run at it.
Speaker 1: Where are you at on a exhibit? You ever met him? Never did you enjoy pitting my ride?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, it's like a just such a realist. It's an incredible way to modify cars.
Speaker 3: I just felt like I would be furious if that's what they did to my car.
Speaker 2: I agree, And you know that even if you weren't. Three weeks later, all that stuff's falling apart. There's no way you can put TVs inside the spokes your wheels and then like have a car that works.
Speaker 1: The time crunch it is all kids.
Speaker 2: It was like, hey, kid, does your car suck?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Now it sucks with an aquarium? Minute like yeah, and he's like, but I just wanted to get to college.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you have an aquarium in your car. It's pretty fucking cool. What's the build you're most proud of that you've ever done?
Speaker 2: Probably my kids.
Speaker 1: I feel like, God, damn it, I said, I wasn't gonna cry during this interview.
Speaker 2: I have a fifty five Chevy with a legit NASCAR motor in It makes eight hundred and eleven astro aspirated nine thousand rpm horse power. That's a pretty fun what we're doing right now. Like it in two thousand and three it was on the NASCAR Cup circuit. So I they gave me all the history of it. Like Jimmy Johnson had a couple of top ten finishes in it, and I'm just tooling it around the back roads in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: You sell all your uh are you allowed to?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I and all the stuff now so we can sell. You know, we have a disclaimer you have to sign that says you will die and you will definitely die in this if you do anything stupid.
Speaker 1: What's the most money you've put into a car before?
Speaker 2: Well, I still have my pro drift car. That might be two hundred thousand or so. Huh oh man, in time and you know parks go time. I'd love to see that line item Yeah, thousand hours.
Speaker 3: Does it infuriate you when people refer to themselves as tinkers when talking about cars?
Speaker 1: Tinker, I'm just a tinker.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That sounds like you should maybe have to like stay five hundred fet from school or something. It's not a good look. It is a gross word. It's like trousers or squirrel or something. It's not well.
Speaker 1: But why why does squirrel get the squirrel?
Speaker 2: This is a bad sound.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, how many cars have you had in your life? Oh?
Speaker 2: Probably one hundred and thirty. That's awesome. Maybe I think i'm twenty now.
Speaker 1: Where do you garage all these things?
Speaker 2: Well, so I'm back in Pennsylvania full time YouTube show, my Stay Tuned show, and we're on one or two, maybe three at a time, so I rent like a warehouse.
Speaker 3: Besides that, Dominic Toretto once said, without family, you've got nothing. Talk about leaving your show in LA and moving back to Pennsylvania to live next to your ex wife and kids. Because of one Vin Diesel quote.
Speaker 2: I think you hit it right on the head. You know, Vin is a modern profit and you know he's dead on it's you know, family is everything, and you know you can't get disrespected in front of your family either. That's another thing.
Speaker 1: It's a big on that too.
Speaker 2: Yes, an other guy, But basically, yeah, it's the best. I live like four miles away and I see my kids constantly. It's awesome. I have them a ton and I feel like I'm very involved and been able might Stay Toned YouTube channel has been like growing and growing. So it's feeled like I kind of did a pretty decent thing. Now you miss LA at all a little bit here and there, it was. You know, it's La. It's fun, but it's tough to get around. It's tough to be here, and you know, we wanted to be back home by family to help with the kids and stuff.
Speaker 3: Sure now you're forced to though, Oh yeah, you got no choice for how many more years?
Speaker 1: Twelve?
Speaker 2: Yeah? More?
Speaker 3: You live on an apple farm in Pennsylvania. What type of apples are your favorite?
Speaker 2: I have a I bought recently, pretty close to my ex so I could be close to the girls. It's not a farm. It's a little farmlet, we'll call it. It's smallish. But yeah, I'm an orchard with different the apples. We're new to this whole thing.
Speaker 1: Do you know who your favorite apple is? I'm a honey Chris, Honey Chris.
Speaker 2: But those feel like they were made in space, right, like not that girls out of the ground that God tastes that sugary.
Speaker 1: You made a pie yet with your apples?
Speaker 2: Not yet? Now it's we're just getting to our first apple season. When's apple season fall? I knew that pairs are rocking now though pears.
Speaker 3: Are now I don't want them. Uh you know how long pears are good for? Like six minutes. It's like good God to get a good pair.
Speaker 1: Oh that was good now by the.
Speaker 2: End of the next one, it just melts in your hands. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: Talk a little about your time doing stunt work in LA.
Speaker 2: When I came and I decided I was done with drift racing. We'd had like that crazy polar vortex over like two somm it was miserable winners in Philly, and I wanted to get into the screen actors because stunt drivers have to be like they're considered on camera talent basically, So to do big jobs you got to be in sag So I came out here and I was like, I'll just do stunt work. This is before the Harvy garage thing popped up. I'm gonna spend the winter trying to get into the screen actors skil and then I can get bigger stunt jobs and do that. But I've done some pretty It's really a fun job if you're good at it seems a little bit like the Wild West. Like every time I gone out and I've gotten just like regularly like picked in casting, I'm like, oh, I can do all these things with the car Like they give you a real strong once over. They want to see you do it. It's like you know you're a struggling actor. You're gonna write, Oh yeah, I could do juggling. I can ride a unicycle and whatever I can. Of course, I can do precision driving. I've been in a parking lot at home.
Speaker 1: So you've never done non driving stunt work.
Speaker 2: No, I don't do that. I've got buddies to do it. And I'm like, I'm gonna just jump out of this building on fire, and I'm like, luck with that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, have you been in cars where they want them on fire?
Speaker 2: I haven't, okay, but most of the time I have, don's been sort of centered around racing or sliding cars around. But yeah, they're like, oh, I'm gonna take this motorcycle, I'm gonna crash it and then I'll probably wind up in the street or through this window. And I'm like, cool, that's cool, man. I will watch that. I'm home for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean that part of it seems amazing. I don't like all the safety speeches and deep briefings.
Speaker 1: It just takes so long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, can we get it?
Speaker 1: Well, it's like you guys, you guys are the stunt people. Just do it. Yeah, go have your meeting and then let's go hurt yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or don't or don't. Yeah, I mean, listen, I don't know. If Alec Baldwin's in the area, let's have the meeting. But if not, let's uh, let's speed.
Speaker 1: This up a bit.
Speaker 3: Everyone's on the show gets a gift. It's just stuff from my house that I want to get rid of. Okay, well my old plates.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, and you take that.
Speaker 1: You gotta put it in a garage somewhere.
Speaker 2: I have those. This.
Speaker 3: I took it from my kid this morning because they were I was like, I'm so sick of you using like a robot voice talk to me, and I'm giving away.
Speaker 1: So this is for your daughters.
Speaker 2: Awesome, thank you.
Speaker 1: You get it off the desk, just throw on the floor, all this on the floor. That's right. Everybody that works in a garage needs rags.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, absolutely.
Speaker 3: So I'm giving you all of my backstock of Tosh Point oh wardrobe.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you'll have Oh my god, you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have thousands and thousands of T shirts. Oh everything that was tosh Point. Oh oh, this is awesome.
Speaker 1: But now they're rags if you because I think what better home than all my old Tosh Point.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'll just make stone worthies in the background.
Speaker 1: You give them, you give them to workers. Yeah, you give them free shirts.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gonna be the best.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We took a plane here, so this is super convenient.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'll ship it for you. I'll ship it for you, and then I have one more gift for you that I just know that you're gonna appreciate.
Speaker 1: A project. Yes, don't you love a project?
Speaker 2: That's kind of my thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have a nineteen sixty nine or nineteen seven subru Sambar three sixty van.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're familiar with the van.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit. I've heard about this a little bit.
Speaker 1: The first thing I want you to do is figure out what year it is.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know how to do stuff. Is it like written on there somewhere? Is there like a number around it on the car?
Speaker 2: Usually? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So let's find out what year it is.
Speaker 3: The reason I liked it is because it's a you know, it's so tiny.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, that is incredible. That's a whole car right there, right, But it comes up to your nipples very little. You can say, chess have a high nipple. Maybe I don't know, very high nipples.
Speaker 3: So I got that it was a display in like a dealership in Utah or something like that. It doesn't have breaks right now? Is an e break? I think the engine can run? Now, can you fix a micro car like that?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 3: Because here, I'm gonna tell you what I want to use it for. I want to make it a volunteer school bus in my neighborhood for some of the elementary kids.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's the thing.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it is. I'm just gonna pick up my mice. I'm just gonna take my son and his friends and his sure just to kindergarten.
Speaker 2: With the parents consent, yes, oh god, it for sure.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna let him know the breaks work. I'm gonna say Tony took with there is a one. There's one big hill that it goes down every day. So I will need the.
Speaker 2: Makers to work. Okay, But I also don't.
Speaker 1: Want it to be I don't want to. I don't want to an aquarium in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't surprise what we do is auarium.
Speaker 1: Surprised me with an aquarium? No, but can you make do an episode on a stay tuned on this on this car?
Speaker 2: Potentially absolutely. To be clear, I've never worked on a classic Subaru, so let's give it a crack.
Speaker 1: I don't mind pain anything that you tell me to pay, as long as you promise that you're not fucking me over.
Speaker 2: Deal. That's the deal.
Speaker 1: That's literally if I could just if I could just have that assurance, like I know it with you is fine in the in that business, in this world. That's the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's very it's a little murky.
Speaker 1: By the way, should the back wheels be like this.
Speaker 2: I don't know yet. Probably not. We'll look at it, I think.
Speaker 3: But micro cars like like those BMWi I said it. I think they are kind of.
Speaker 2: It depends on the suspension type. But like you know, Volkswagen bugs do it. It just depends on how they also.
Speaker 1: Noticed when it was coming off the flatbed the gas started pouring out the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a good sign.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was gas until I tasted it.
Speaker 2: That's how I go about life. I'm like, what is this coffee mug? Yeah, it's a coffee.
Speaker 1: You ever siphoned gas?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gross.
Speaker 3: I've never actually successfully pulled it off. Yeah, I think I've attempted it and I was like, it's not coming.
Speaker 2: You're gonna wind up with a mouthful of gas if you do it right, which is not something you ever really want to say. Yeah, it's awful the worst.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Here's something I'll be honest about. It's always funny when you talk to like like a car person in this day and a twenty twenty four, I secretly, now it's not a secret because I'm talking to micro feel like I'm less of a man than you because I don't know anything about cars. So it's like I'm like, ah, it's it. Also, I feel if I'm hanging out with, like, say a a fighter, and I'm like, oh, he's so much stronger than me.
Speaker 1: I'm less of a man than him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing is that's all true. Yeah I believe. Yeah, yeah, you nailed it.
Speaker 1: I just don't care.
Speaker 2: Also, like fast runners too, Now dunk I can? I can?
Speaker 3: I think I could still dunk if I tried, if I spent give me six months when I turned fifty, I'm gonna dunk one more time on ten foot really? Yeah, all right, I'll And I've got to jump. I've got some spring. What's it called twitch. I still got a little twitch left last twitch. Tony, thank you for being on the show. All the best, yeah, and I'll see you in my garage, all right.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Thanks you yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big mits Jesus, how do you fit those in such tight quarters in car?
Speaker 2: One of the guys that works with us has little surgeon hands. If I can't do it, and I'll be.
Speaker 1: Like like, bring in the.
Speaker 2: Pasha.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Tony for being a guest on the show, and I also want to thank him for taking my broken three sixty Subaru. He took it from this interview around one o'clock in the afternoon. By two thirty here it is up on a lift. Six hours later. He's driving it now in this video. I would like to point out that I don't see him stop, and that was the biggest issue. There were no brakes whatsoever in that van, so I'm hoping he either ran out of gas or he fixed the brakes. But that was really nice to him, him and Lucky. Tony and Lucky just go over there to their YouTube channel and I'm sure they'll fix your car. Just you know what, Just drop your car off. You find Tony, you go to his apple orchard. You drop off your car, leave the keys in it and the a note. What he needs to do? You don't even need the note. He'll figure it out. Guy can do anything. Jeezuz, such a man. I got some plugs, boyswearpink dot com. We gotta start selling more of that stuff. I gotta get rid of it. Okay, it's filling up my basement. Eddiegoisling dot com. Check out his tour dates. Check out my tour. Come see us in New Orleans, Come see us in Hawaii. We got to bring one of our fans with us to Hawaii. What do you think, Carl? You ready for the best segment? You know what it's called. Ready that catchy title, free plug hit the free plug music. Woo, we finally got music. You know we need a sponsor for the free plug. You know, then it would pay for itself. That doesn't make any sense, all right? This week's free plug October twelfth. The town of Pilsen, Kansas, population wait for it, sixty two. That seems like a sad, sad job having to adjust that number occasionally. They're celebrating one hundred and fifty years. They got their anniversary coming up. They got a full day of activities planned for the kids. There's gonna be a bounce house, sack raised cornhole, and face painting. The whole family can participate in the parade. They got a tractor pull and a trap shoot. They got polka dance featuring the Mark Valdell Orchestra. Oh that's who you want, you know, spend the money, get Mark Vadell's orchestra.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: Man, that's a hell of a schedule for such a small town. Probably some visitors over from Marion County coming over to that, maybe as far as Hillsborough. I don't know, Carl, you're not interested in this. I might be underselling it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The day kicks off at eight am. It's gonna be over on the former ball diamond.
Speaker 1: That does a baseball field, the former baseball field.
Speaker 3: Oh see the old well, you guys know where it is, over in pills In the old former ball diamond. Most of the day's events will be at the surrounding Community center, which is the former Pillson Grade School.
Speaker 1: Everything is former, this is said, as we all know. The schools closed.
Speaker 3: Okay, the Pilsen kids now attend the Century School District. Okay, all right anyway, I'm sorry I can't be there, but it sounds like a hoot.
Speaker 1: We'll see you guys next week.