Speaker 1: It's the inside scoop of FT senior insider Ken Rosenthal. Let's do a little trade talk and speculation, shall we. Ken, We're going to get into some of your notes column that was put up in The Athletic yesterday. I want to start with Seya Suzuki and the Chicago Cubs and what you wrote about there and the possibility that he could be moved at the deadline. What do you think.
Speaker 2: With than anything, But there is a lot of basis to it. And here's the deal. So, right handed hitting in the game is at a premium right now. There aren't many quality right handed hitters available or even in the major leagues. The ops by right handed hitters is like the lowest since nineteen ninety two or would be. So that's one element why Suzuki could be in some demand. And the other thing here is that the Cubs, even after signing Nico Horners, still have a number of potential free agents. It's in Hap, it's Suzuki, it's ti im Naga, Boyd. They're not going to sign all of them, so they might not even make qualifying offers to all of them. So do you want to get something back and in the process shake up a team that until last night at least has looked I don't know, wildly inconsistent. It hasn't looked like it. They've played wildly inconsistent, and go about it that way. Now. The negative would be, of course, removing Suzuki's bat from the lineup. He had a home run last night. But they could go with Matt Shaw, they could go with kind of a platoon there and figure things out along the way with Confordo. So I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm just saying there is a lot of reason to believe it could happen, and something that I imagined they would at least discuss rather than get just a draft pick back in return at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: Ken, I love the way you're thinking right now. I'm all for it kind of. But my thing is, he's a guy that's been there before. I'm big on veteran guys. I'm big on guys that have been there before. They are only one game out of the wild card. I understand they haven't been playing well, but this is a team. If they do make the playoffs, they're going to be a team to be reckoned with. Once injuries come back and guys start playing the way they can. So my question would be, why do you think this makes you talked about a little bit, But I don't really think it makes sense right now to really be trading anybody there. I know they're seven and a half games out. Do you think do you think in the NL Central they don't have a shot to get back in there?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I totally hear you and the idea of trading him now, the thing I didn't mention should have is that maybe you get pitching back and they're pitching or at least that rotation is kind of in shambles. Borton's out for the year, Steele still hasn't come back, Boyd has yet to come back from his thing, Cabrera his time earlier. Tyone is on the IL as well. So you don't do it. I don't think for prospects. You're trying to win this year. But if there is a picture under control somehow you could get in a package or even a pitcher who, like Suzuki, is a potential free agent that could simply kind of rebalance your team, give you more pitching. That is when you do it, or that is why you do it. You don't do it simply to play for next year, and you don't give up on this year. But maybe you can make your team better this year in some fashion by doing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we were talking a little bit before about Trek schoobl my opinion, this is a guy that needs to be traded. I feel like that team would get a a lot of players back. I don't see them in a foreseeable future, even when he does come back on Saturday, go out there and dominate and make the playoffs. Now, is this a guy you can see getting traded? Or do you think the Tigers are going to try and make a run out of this thing and try and fight their way back into a playoff contention.
Speaker 2: It's June twelfth, thot. They're not going to make a decision today. You know that and I know that too, So they're going going to ride this recent wave as long as they can. But the point I made last week, and I wrote this, I guess about a week and a half ago. They're starting from sixteen games under five hundred and in the current format, which began in twenty twenty two, the current expanded format, no team has made it back from that big a hole. Now, it's a relatively small sample, I know, and the AL Central certainly is weak. The AL certainly is weak. So it's not out of the question that the Tigers can push and maybe get this done. But what are we talking about here? Are we talking about making the playoffs? Okay, they can maybe do that, or are we talking about a serious World Series contender in this particular season. Maybe with schoolbl and Mis coming back this weekend as well, they can be that. It's just going to be an awfully difficult roadback for them. And I had an executive point out to me, and this is a great point. It's one of the Actually it's kind of obvious, but basically, they're in a position where they can't go into a losing streak again. They've got to keep going and they've got to keep winning. It's still like eleven twelve under right now, So it's going to be a tough road for them. And that's why, ultimately I do believe that they will trade Schooble rather than hold on to him and again make the qualifying offer and get the draft pick.
Speaker 4: Crouch. You know, I travel all the time, and I'm always looking for possible tickets to go see advanced concerts MLB games. When I do, I always find Seakeek. Yeah, I'm not traveling so pretty much, I'm looking for the games all in my area. I'm gonna look for an Orioles game. I'm gonna look for the Phillies game, the Mets game, the Yankees game. But you know what else is coming up? The All Star Game. Sea Gek's got me. Hey, you're gonna need them tickets to the All Star Game. It is going to be crazy. Hey, they have over thirty five million downloads for a reason. It's because they have everything you need. Green dots, red dots, You pick your seat, see see the scene from your seat. It's the best app going for tickets. And of course I have a code for you guys. You can use code territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seat Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. Thank you, seat Geek.
Speaker 5: He Ken, I'm curious about another player Lars Nubar and kind of the cardinal side of this dynamic. It's flipped from the two teams we just talked about. You know, the Cubs and the Tigers both come into this year with high expectations and then you know, if it doesn't go their way, then you know, you consider pivoting into a seller at the deadline. Cardinals are in the reverse. They were coming in in a rebuilding year, a developmental year. Now they're playing pretty good baseball. They do have a couple more chips if they want to cash them in, but what do you think they need to show ownership? And heine Bloom, you know that maybe they could build on this instead of you know and kind of pivot off that plan. And does this have any parallel for you to the twenty twenty one Red Sox where we were also so when that type of plan with him at the helm and then we started winning and then we actually actually went for it. So it's a little bit of an interesting dynamic, and I'd love to get your read on that.
Speaker 2: Adam absolutely right, and I hadn't thought of the twenty one Red Sox, but that's a good comparison. The only difference is the Red Sox that season. The Red Sox in no season are ever rebuilding. They may be in transition, but they're never like what the Cardinals were this off season when they traded Arnatto and Gray and Contraras and Donovan. They were purely rebuilding and are purely poorly rebuilding. Now, my understanding of this is is that heim Blum is not going to simply ignore the standings and say, you know what, I don't care that we're in a wildcard spot, the top wildcard spot. Now, we're just gonna keep going. We're gonna keep trading veterans. No, they may do that if they believe it's ultimately in their best interests, but they will not if they are still in this kind of position at the deadline, and remember talking six or seven weeks away. They will not simply abandon the season. And I don't expect the White Sox to do that. I don't even expect the Nationals to do that if they are in a position where they have even an outside chance of making the playoffs. So what do you do at that point? Nutbart is a really interesting guy. Like Donovan, he is someone you can look to as a player you build around. He is that kind of presence, that kind of leader. But they traded Donovan, they traded him with two years of control because they are trying to upgrade their pitching. Nut Bart could be another player who helps them upgrade their pitching. Switch hitter guy who would be in demand if his heels are okay, they look like they are, he had a home run last night, if he continues to play at a high level or resumes playing at a high level. So it's going to be an interesting choice for them because they might be in a spot where they can say, arguably, okay, we're trading laws Nutbar, but we're not up. Depends what they get back, of course, and maybe they do something else to reinforce themselves in the outfield in another way. There are all kinds of ways you can go, and we are all in the habit of labeling teams buyers or sellers, when in reality many teams do both. At the deadline, they're kind of just shaking up their.
Speaker 3: Mixed A grade one hundred percent. Now back to the al Central the Guardians. I know they just got beat up by the Yankees. Ultimately, I feel like this team is going to strike come trade deadline. To try and get over the hump to win their division as well. They have a great farm system. Do you see this team making any moves as we move forward.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Todd, because they do have a great farm system, and I detail that in my notes column how they're really deep infielders, catchers, outfielders. But they are a team because they play in a small market that are very protective of their prospects. They are also a team that if you talk to other clubs, they will tell you they're hard to deal with in the sense that they set their price and they don't come off it. They're not flexible, they don't get emotional. They just do what they do, and obviously they do a great job of it. They're competitive almost every season. So in my opinion, they're in a position where they are kind of bursting with prospects and kind of need to do something, and I expect that they will, perhaps with a catcher. They've got three in Triple A right now, all of whom they like. One was bon Naylor, who just got demoted when they acquired Patrick Bailey, and they've got two other prospects who are pretty well regarded, Cooper Ingele and Cody Huff, So I don't know exactly how they're going to play this. They made a small trade with Nolan Jones last night, I believe it was, and they traded him because they couldn't find enough at bats for their outfielders in Triple A. Problems still exists to some extent. So they're going to be a really interesting team to watch because they are are a team that clearly could do some things, and they also are a team that did very little in the offseason. Why because hey, we've got Bizana coming, We've got all of these infielders, we've got the laughter coming. They are a really interesting group in that sense and will be a team to watch for sure at the deadline.
Speaker 3: Talk about another team right next door, the Chicago White Sox. They're gonna roll with more comedy. I love everything about this, you know, it's a team that took everybody by surprise. I think they're up a half game right now. How did they approach the trade deadline? As we move forward here, they're kind.
Speaker 2: Of the American League version of the Cardinals. Maybe they'll be a little bit hungrier to win because it's been a while, or they've had some really rough years, but Murra comedy is coming back, Teal is coming back, the catcher Kyle Teal. They're going to be quite interesting offensively, and they are quite interesting offensively even without more comedy con you to score. So I expect that they're going to look for pitching. I expect if they're in this position still, they're going to try to get pitching. I don't expect them to trade top prospects, because, like the Cardinals, they're still building toward a more sustainable future. To use executives speak there for a minute. So yeah, I do expect they'll be active and busy. I just don't know how far they'll go. And they are another team deep in infielders already, and they've got the number one pick in the draft coming up. Could conceivably take an infielder at number one, the guy from UCLA, the kid from I think he's from Texas. They could take one of these kids and supplement themselves even more, giving them even more depth in the infield. To do some things at the deadline. It doesn't have to be and it wouldn't be for a rental pitcher. It could be you trade a young infielder for a young pitcher on the verge of the big leagues and go about it that way.
Speaker 5: That's intriguing for sure. I gotta love what the White Sox are doing for a team that I think that the incentives might be a little kakamemi here as the Angels, so they're in last place. They're not technically out of it because nobody is in the American League, but odds of them being not in last place seem pretty low to me. And typically you would think this is a clear seller. However, you've got last year of contract for general manager, only a one year contract on the actual manager, and so there's a little bit more of an incentive to try to push through this. What's your read on the situation over there.
Speaker 2: Ken Adam, You kind of said it kaka mami. That's how they operate, and they're hard to follow. They don't necessarily do what you think they're going to do at any time. They have not ever sold in a big way. They are a team that always seems to think they're on the verge of doing something, and it would be surprising to me if they traded a netto or a debt merch they could and they could get a lot for either of those guys, But it just doesn't seem to be something Ardie Moreno, as their owner, is comfortable doing that kind of trade, much less trout, which is a whole nother story. So I'm not sure what to expect from them, because, as you mentioned, they're in an uncertain dynamic with both their general manager and manager. Maybe if you're gonna let the general manager go at the end of the season, you don't want him doing a deconstruction at the deadline. You want the next guy doing it if you're willing to do it at all. So I always have a hard time kind of reading what the Angels might do or not do. They could have traded Sho Heo Tani for a big package a few years ago and didn't do it. They could have possibly kept show Heo Tani when you offered the seven hundred million dollars deal to every team, and they were the one team that said, naw, we're not gonna do that. So I'm trying to figure them out always and never can.
Speaker 1: Support for today's episode comes from Square, and they've got big news. During Squar's biannual Releases event, they launched a wave of innovative new tools to help local businesses run faster, smarter, and more profitably. Square is awesome. Around Orlando, where AJ and I live. We go to the farmers' markets around town. I go to the one near Lake Iola. It's awesome. I use Square to pay with my phone. I get the receipt right away.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 4: And so many businesses, not just small businesses, uses. So many restaurants and businesses I walk into, not only in Orlando, but all over the country have these and you just use your credit card, pops out a receipt, emails it right to you. It's so fast, it's so efficient, it's so hassle free. It's one of the great things that you have going.
Speaker 1: Square launched its most powerful tools yet, designed to give local businesses a competitive edge without the complexity. If you're ready to sell smarter, run faster and stress less right now, you can get up to two hundred dollars off Square hardware at Square dot com slash go slash foul. That's Square dot com, slash go slash foul your business smarter with Square get started today.
Speaker 3: My most intriguing guy for me that you might not agree with me, but at the same time, I love this guy to death, Jared Duran. I think he's one of the most fascinating players. I got to play with him one time. He's fast, he does everything. I think he needs to change the scenery, in my opinion, get off, get on a team that is ready to rock and go. I know he loves it there. How do you see trade talks with him coming up?
Speaker 2: If any, Well, Tom, I'm with you, and their team president Sam Kennedy said yesterday on the radio that if they don't turn it around, they may be in a position where they are sellers. So if that's the case, you arguably should have traded Duran bre Rafaela one of these outfielders in the offseason, and Duran was the one that was kind of the obvious choice. He's got the fewest amount of years left before he becomes a free agent. And if they didn't do that, now, if they are in cell mode or anything close to sell mode, he will be in demand again. And he is a really intriguing, exciting player. So I'm with you they should entertain that. Frankly, even if they're in it, if Anthony is healthy, they still have not an excess of outfielders, but they have the ability to trade an outfielder. They haven't done that, and who knows if they will or not. But if they go into a deadline believing that they're not going to be a contending team this year and are willing to move pieces, I would think he would be at the top of the list.
Speaker 1: Hey, Ken, last one for you. In the notes column, you finished with the ABS system and just a little note, a little nugget, So I want to see if you could share that and then lighten everyone on the misconceptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My perception from just watching games anecdotally was Man, the game's a longer. They're getting a longer again, and I don't know, maybe ABS is the problem here. And when I asked the league for the data for the information on this, I was told, really, they're only four minutes longer than they were last year, and the league believes that only one minute of that is attributable to ABS, and the other parts of it are just the noise or differences that come season to seasons. So what you might think is happening with ABS lengthening games is not happening. So from that perspective, and actually all perspectives, it seems that this is a hit, and there have been obviously questions about the zone and how pictures are adapting, but they seem to be adapting. I was told earlier this season by an umpire the pictures were going to be screaming and yelling and they're going to be having fits by May, and that hasn't happened. Everyone's adjusting fine. So I would say that ABS has been a success and it has not been a detriment to the pace of play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, roaring success just for me fan perspective, and talking to many fans can like, I can't find anyone that's going, oh, I don't like this. I mean it's fun, Yeah, it's not extending the time. I just there's not much wrong. Is Are there a few little tweaks we got to think about. Sure, But for the fan experience, they are loving it. I'm sure you feel the same way when you're at the ballpark.
Speaker 2: I do feel the same way. They are loving it. They've loved it from the beginning. And you have to give the lead credit here and the commissioner credit because the pitch clock, which was something that was not entirely embraced by the players initially, and ABS the same. They have both proven to be absolute additions to the game that have proven beneficial.
Speaker 1: One more quick note on this, Ken, because often the decision makers are you know, can involve players, front office executives, etc. That are talking about the rules of the game. Sometimes I'm like, you guys are too deep into it. I don't you know, Like a front office executive's job is to win games, right, and that's why sometimes the game got slower and they're just looking for three true outcomes and all that. So I like the way that you need to let some other people kind of handle the way the sport's being viewed. I might not have conveyed that the best way, but the point is that you might play it. That doesn't mean you're an expert on what people like to watch.
Speaker 2: No, And this is always a question, and it's always debatable, and all of these innovations have been debatable. But again, credit where credit is due. Pitchclock success abs success, both of them, I would say overwhelming successes. And that is why once again, we should not have a situation next season where we're missing games when the sport is enjoying a renaissance.
Speaker 1: Yes, attendance ratings, everything is soaring. Ken we'll be watching it this weekend, Philly's Brewers, Right, Yes, got it, all right, we'll watch Ken on Fox. Thanks Ken, have a good weekend.