Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren z Ma Comedy from the home office in Austin, Texas. It has been a minute, everybody since Elsie and I have sat down together. Why what's why? Okay, I feel like I feel like I see you every day, and well.
Speaker 2: Maybe we've been spending so much time together that we haven't potted to.
Speaker 1: We had a bunch of great guests from Doctor Drew too. We did a Father's Day with a couple of great actually a few great dads from The Bachelor on the Bachelor World and Ryan Sutter and Bob Guiney and JP Rosenbaum. It was great to catch up with those boys. So we've just been on a heater of great guests, so it's been a second to jump back into the headlines.
Speaker 2: Ryan and Trista so not splitting up.
Speaker 1: Nothing's wrong, everybody's alive, everybody's one hundred healthy, and they are one hundred percent together. Okay. It's funny that people like I don't know why people freaked out if you know Ryan and all, and if you're going to freak out, clearly you do know Ryan. He is a very poetic guy. He's a real renaissance man because he's the best athlete you're ever going to meet. He's a manly man. You could leave him on a mountain and he will, you know, kill a bear with his bare hands and live and he's fine, and then he's going to sit down and write poetry about it. That's right.
Speaker 2: He's like an old world kind of guy.
Speaker 1: He has a very old world guy, but he's he's you know, he's one of our founding fathers. He is the Bachelor. I'm the declaration of independence of the Bachelor. But he is that kind of guy. So he just sometimes he he I'll be honest, he notes his emotions.
Speaker 2: When I read those his Instagram, I thought something was wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just thought it's Ryan being right.
Speaker 2: Yes, don't. I've actually never met Ryan.
Speaker 1: I told him, I said, look, were you a little heavy? You're a little melodramatic with that one. Yeah, he was dripping, but it's that's right, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about some other by the way.
Speaker 1: Good good that they're everybody's all well, and happy Father's Day to those guys. And it was good to have him on. Let's get into some headlines.
Speaker 2: So I want to start with talking about a different father who's dating someone who not only could be his daughter, but could be his granddaughter.
Speaker 1: Honestly, bro probably his great grandfather good great great granddaughter.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're quite there on the not that I know my math, but regardless, it's disturbing to me. Listen. I don't usually dip my tone to the sports world, but this headline caught my eye. The former coach correct me if I'm wrong, Babe of the New England Patriots rushing it well, thank you, Bill Belichick. The man is seventy two years old, and it has come out that he is dating a twenty four year old. And not only that, but they seem to have started dating a bit ago when she was still in college, because they met on an airplane and what they got talking about was one of her school papers.
Speaker 1: So they were talking about her homework.
Speaker 2: Listen, you and I have talked about age gap relationships before, we are about sixteen years apart, but oh my god, seventy two and twenty four. I saw one tweet the guy goes, imagine if your dad and your daughter brings home her new boyfriend and it's she's a cheerleader. By the way, he goes your college cheerleader daughter brings home her new boyfriend and it's Bill Belichick. Yeah, I mean this is alarming to me. This would be like if our daughter Taylor was dating someone who's your grandfather's age. That's what this is. There's no excuses on this one. There isn't.
Speaker 1: So the age gap thing is interesting. You and I have talked about it, and when you were a grown man and a grown woman in your thirties, forties, whatever, and that is something entirely different to a young girl that is in college and they met on an airplane and literally started talking about her homework, formed a relationship and have kept in touch. And forty eight year age gap and he's in his seventies.
Speaker 2: He's retired, and she doesn't even have a job yet.
Speaker 1: And I thought, So, I was thinking about this on the way back and forth to the gym today and because I get fired up about it, because I think it's really effed up, I mean really effed up. And I'm like, Okay, what's my perspective is it? Because I do have perspective of being a dad and having kids that were teenagers now young adults, so I have that perspective, or is it like, are other people out there thinking, hey, man, good on you, that's great al Pacino and DeNiro and having babies in your nineties and and Bill Belichick having a twenty something year old girlfriend, good for you. Are there people like that? Is it just because we have the perspective of having kids and young adults this age Well.
Speaker 2: I think that how having kids older conversation is different than the age gap conversation because I think Robert DeNiro's girlfriend's like well into her forties. To me, it's funny. I was also thinking about this on the way to pilates and backs. You and I are both all fired up back from our workouts on this, But like, I think we immediately kind of go to this because there's a little bit of an age gap for us, and so we probably I think, and yes, we have kids who are now like potentially dating people in serious ways and we feel protective of them. But I think we've just thought about it a lot, because we thought about it as we entered into our relationship. And I actually, as I was comprehending, realized I have a couple sort of guidelines on this that I've come up with and maybe people will disagree, but here they are. Okay, if you're doing an age gap thing, one nobody can be in their early twenties. Your brain is literally not developed. As the wonderful doctor Amen, who did a great episode with us said, your brain isn't fully developed till you're twenty five twenty six years old. So you shouldn't be dating anyone older than you whose brain is good to go when your frontal lobe isn't even making decisions yet. Yeah, so nobody should be in their early twenties.
Speaker 1: Agreed in some of these relationships. By the way, let's dip down further. We know people that they're in their teens and they're you know, eighteen, nineteen years old, like it's the oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I was watching ninety Day Fiance the other day and a thirty year old is dating a nineteen year old and they were getting in a fight and he goes, you're acting like a teenager, and I'm like, dude, she is a teenager.
Speaker 1: Like what someone? No one should be in the early twenties. Little deep dive on some of these other celebrities. I'm not going to start naming names, but that it's very interesting when they officially start dating when they're eighteen or nineteen, but they met earlier. But oh, we didn't start dating. As if that's better, as if that makes it okay.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it? There was like some rumor that Anthony Keatis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is like dating a nineteen year old. He's sixty one. You can't even have a glass of wine together. Like, what are they doing?
Speaker 1: What is the related bill? What are you relating me?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? What are you relating to? And by the way, well, where is this going to go? Where's this going for this young girl who's just starting her life, just got out of college, getting her first job. If you want to be a mentor, if you want to be a father figure, if you want to try and help her out, wonderful, But what in the f is going on with a relationship?
Speaker 2: I actually had I not to get too serious. It wasn't overly traumatizing. But when I first moved to La there was this man who probably was in his seventies at the time and one of my dad's friends. He was a friend of my dad's friend, and obviously my dad's dead. So this guy was like, listen, I know you're moving to LA. Like, get in touch with my friend out there and he'll kind of look out for you. And you know, just somebody to grab breakfast with and whatever if you need anything. I like grabbed breakfast with them a couple of times. And then he was dropping me off where I was living with my roommates, and he tried to kiss me in the car and he was in his seventies. It was shocking. And it's weird because you sort of as a woman, you I don't know, you you look at someone who's old enough to be your grandfather, and you don't think that that's anywhere in their mind. I think one, nobody can be in their early twenties or late teens, as you pointed out two. I don't think the age gap can be so big that the person could have been like, well into adulthood and been your parent. Do you know what I'm saying? A hundred percent, Like you can't be like, you can't be get into thirty something forty something years. It's just too big of a life place difference.
Speaker 1: What I wonder, too, is what is in this for Bill Belichick or someone like him if you and because I look at people even in their forties or fifties that start dating someone in their young twenties, what does that say about you? What are you deficient in that you are looking for a child, a young child, because in your young twenties you're still a child. When you're twenty, you can't even drink yet.
Speaker 2: I mean, it could be like midlife or late life crisis, right, it could be that someone. I think sometimes people who are incredibly successful in one arena might be narcissistic. Might be that they never developed emotionally in maturity wise, like in their personal side. They they really went hard on their professional side.
Speaker 1: Mommy, your daddy issues, attachment issues.
Speaker 2: Like you see a lot of that, you know. They call it peter Pan syndrome in LA where you have these men who might be financially successful but never grew up and never like worked on themselves on their human side, and so then like their maturity is a lot younger than it should be, and that's why they date younger. And I'm not justifying it.
Speaker 1: It's not a good thing, but this one just really stuck to both of us, and it's funny. It's stuck. We both have been thinking about this a lot, and just this because again I think because this weekend our kids were here, and just.
Speaker 2: You know what blew my mind? What I put myself in this girl's shoes. They met on an airplane. Okay, yeah, if I and I'm in my mid thirties, I'm over ten years older than her. But in my mid thirties, if I sat next to a guy in his early seventies on a plane and we just chatted, no part of me would think that was going to a flirtatious place. I'd be like, Oh, I spoke to this nice elderly man on the plane.
Speaker 1: I helped them off the plane. I got a miss prune juice.
Speaker 2: Like like you said, it's your dad's age. Like it's like, it's that's my husband's father's age. Like No, it's so bizarre that that it got to this place.
Speaker 1: And I wonder what her background is, what her parental situation is, Did she have strong, loving parents all of that. If you're sitting on a plane, even now me, I'm I'm in my fifties, if I'm sitting next to someone in their mid to late seventies, I noticed that that's a that's a start difference.
Speaker 2: They buy my rules, that would only be like twenty is years for you. That'd be a little pushing of it.
Speaker 1: You could date no, but I just mean that it's almost like it's just this why to divide if something in there someone in their seventies, it really is well, it just.
Speaker 2: Starts to get a little weird. I think when like you're getting to someone who could who is your parents' age. Like, and I'm not saying like some of those really relationships work, but like when it's someone who could have who would have been because you're you knows unless you had teen parents, but if your parents were into adulthood when they had you, and then you're stating someone who's your parents' age, there's I think it gets a little Okay, let's double check ourselves here. Let's move on to another sports headline that I didn't think I was going to care about.
Speaker 1: Oh what the us open you about this all day? Uh?
Speaker 2: I'm you're friendly with Bryson. I've met him once. He's such a sweetheart. How did you feel watching You were being very emotional watching.
Speaker 1: And and a huge shout out to his entire team, including his agent, Brett Falkoff, who is a very good friend of ours, very excited. I'm so proud of him. I'm so excited for the person, the man who he is really evolved into. And this kind of goes back to what we were just talking about with Bill Belichick and this young girl Bryson to Shambeau exploded onto the scene as young man, and everybody expected him to be something that he wasn't. To be polished, to be perfect, to fit this mold, to say the right things and do the right things. He had to grow up. He had to grow into the man he is now. And what he is now is very popular, maybe the most popular golfer in the world because of he has honed his image and really crafted this message of who he wants to be. And that's a I'm listening to these people, you know, these pundits talk on the sports radio this morning and they're ripping on Rory for choking and all. It's like, Man, Rory macelroy, my heart goes out to him. If you didn't watch the US Open, he missed a couple short puts. There was the one on eighteen. I forgive him. That was a diabolical little four footer. That was breaking like crazy, so sports talk people, but just let's forgive them that. But and the one earlier was like inside three feet he had made almost five hundred in a row inside that range.
Speaker 2: Okay, ladies, if you want, take what he just said, memorize it, and go say that to your husband who plays golf.
Speaker 1: It's funny when people like the average sports guy's like, oh god, I could have made that putt. Well, yeah you could. You could walk out today on a Monday or Tuesday, go out here, you little municipal, and hit a putt. You don't have a care in the world. Now, try to imagine, which you can't. This is why it's hard. Millions of dollars on the line, millions of people watching cameras, pressure, fans, exhaustion. As you've grinded through this, the pressure of that moment, it is remarkable. You can even take the putter back. I have had just glimpses of this as I've been able to play in some of these pro ams and on these big stages with some of these guys. It is incredible what pressure does to you. As they say, pressure burst pipes. And it's so true, and it's funny with people like, Oh, I could have done that, I could have made that free throw. No, you couldn't.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point. It's a really good point because I think like in our business, one thing we always say is that the greats make it look easy. Yeah, And it's kind of that same thing of you know, I mean, even you like doing those doing the live shows. You know, it's like you're making it look so easy and people don't know about the million other factors, Like you're on live TV in front of millions, You've got someone in your ear, you're trying to get certain emotional things out of people, You're talking about tough topics, Like there's so many added factors versus just you're having a conversation. And so I see what you're saying here.
Speaker 1: And the great ones rise to the occasion when the moment presents itself. But guess what, Michael Jordan didn't do that, he didn't and then he did, and then he was the greatest ever. Any great Tiger Woods you name him, Serena Williams. All the people we love in a door have had moments of failure where they just didn't rise to the occasion. But then they learn to conquer that moment. It's part of becoming great. Tom Brady go down the line, it doesn't matter. They will all tell you about failures that they sustained growing up and getting better. And Bryson had those moments. Everybody has those moments, and it sucks when the lights are the brightest when you fall short. But that's that's what makes sports so great, It's what makes theater great. It was when you are competing, and I would say what we do on live TV, sometimes it's competition. You are competing to be great in that moment.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I wish I could tell my younger self failure is just as important as success, and obviously try to succeed, but those failures that's where you learn how to succeed, and you know to shift that mindset. I told the kids this recently, like, look at the failures as important, be grateful that they happened, even though it feels like they suck in the moment. Because also so many failures I had along the way, like lead me to the success because it set me on this different path that ended up being important. But yeah, I mean, look I don't I don't always want the golf with you. But I like the big ones because I like when sports gets emotional, and I like those types of stories, the rising above or you know, the personal stories. And one thing that stuck out to me so much about Bryson, and even having met him, I didn't know this was that he lost his dad a few years ago. So I thought it was really beautiful because it was Father's Day, and I posted a little on Instagram about like, I just really try to make people feel seen a little bit, like it's so great to celebrate the great dads, but it's also like, let's celebrate, you know, the father figures in our lives who don't necessarily have that title of dad, or let's celebrate the ones who are gone, or you know, let's look out for people who maybe your dad sucks so you never had a dad. But so I loved that Bryson kind of took that moment when he wanted to speak a little bit about his dad who passed, because a moment like that always helps with normalizing the grief conversation.
Speaker 1: It was kind of sweet. Actually. The last two years, Wyndham Clark, who was also a friend, spoke a lot about getting over the death of his mom mentally and emotionally and working with a professional of how to deal with this loss and then how to change that energy and change that emotion and make it positive. And then he went on to win the US Open and spoke very eloquently. He was really I really respect him for speaking so openly about his therapy and everything that he has been using a professional. And same thing with Bryson. He's grown up and talking about his dad, and the symmetry too with if you don't know the Payne Stewart story, he won there twenty five years ago and then tragically died in a plane crash, and if you're young, you know, google paint Stewart. He was this kind of legendary figure, good looking, went to SMU, you know, dressed differently, and died when his plane lost pressure cruising over the United States. And we all sat there for hours knowing that they had passed away until his plane ran out of gas and crashed, and they honored him and Bryson went to his college. They went to Bryson went to SMU because of Payne Stewart and just the symmetry of the whole thing and then talking about his dad and dedicating the victory to his dad. It was beautifuly goosebumps. I was emotional. Thank you for sitting with me. It was Father's Day and you sat with me. Elsie not for long, but she came in and when it was important, she sat there and she enjoyed that moment with me.
Speaker 2: And I ask the question, why is that important to you?
Speaker 1: It was like, if you had not done that, I wouldn't have thought about it twice because you hadn't been with me for most of the day when we were watching. But I just thought it was cool that you're like, hey, you're really into this. I'm going to sit here for five minutes and just be with me because you're like, I want to know what's going on. And you came in and you kind of dove in. I'm like, oh, that's cool, just another thing, one of the million reasons you show me that you care.
Speaker 2: Oh well, no, that's sweet. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I gotn't want you sitting down for every football game, but don't worry. Don't worry. That's not what I'm asking. But I just thought it was sweet because you did.
Speaker 2: I just didn't think it well, but like I wish you would have told me like it would matter to you that if I did that. I didn't know that you cared if I sat to watch golf from it.
Speaker 1: Do you ever have moments as a couple when you don't know until you know, Like you don't think about something meaningful until later you're like, oh that was that meant a lot to me, Like you you wrote something in my card. I'm not going to say what it was, but you wrote something in my father's day card that's like stuck with me us thinking about it as I went to sleep last night, and I'm like, it's something you probably didn't even think. Oh well, you just said about being the patriarch of a family. Oh yes, and you would never know this link. But I always thought of my grandfather as the patriarch of our family, and it's I use that word a lot when I refer to him, and so for someone, that's the first time in my life that someone has referred to me like that, And so it just meant a lot. And so you wouldn't know, and I didn't know it was coming. So it's one of those things you don't know what's meaningful until it is. So thank you.
Speaker 2: I love that, honey. I'm glad that you.
Speaker 1: Hit home runs yesterday. You crushed it.
Speaker 2: Oh good.
Speaker 1: Plus the beautiful pair of boots we'll talk about.
Speaker 2: Well, his Father's Day gift was a pair of Takvis. We loved to covid.
Speaker 1: They are sexy.
Speaker 2: We got to get away from sports for a minute. I'm burnt out now, so let's talk about our friend who has gone Instagram official. Jason Tartik has hard launched his relationship with TikToker Kat Stickler. There were rumors for a minute, and I'll just be honest, You and I have known about this for a minute behind the scenes, but we don't spill our friend's tea. Super happy yeah for Jason as long as he's happy, and I have not we haven't met Kat yet, but no.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. They've been dating for a while. As you said, you know, even when he was you know, down here on the podcast we were talking about it. It was just so early days that you have never never know how those things are going to go and how it's going to turn out. But they've put the work in and and then by the way, yesterday Father's Day, not only they go insta official, they went family official. She met his family. Oh, so big step. They posted a picture of her and the family together. So spending Father's Day together, that's a big one. So our love to Jay and Kat and he is. We were texting the other day and he's just happy. And it's great to see a smile on his face because when you go through a big public breakup like you know he has, it's an emotional rollercoaster. And so when you come when you see people come out on the other side and they're better, stronger, it's always a wonderful thing. So our love to them. That's great.
Speaker 2: Can we end on a fun movie recommendation?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do that because there's too many bad ones out there.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay, we talked about you know what, I can't figure out why do these movies like I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes anymore. I used to go glance the Rotten Tomatoes, get a quick you know, how are the reviews just overall? That movie with Anne Hathaway, the idea of you Unwatch and I thought it was just me, But no, our kids tried to watch it. Josh and his girlfriend tried to watch it, Taylor tried to watch it. None of them liked it, so I'm like, nope, and Hathaway's acting good. The like not an slam on the actors, the script, the characters, the pace, unwatchable. And then we tried to watch.
Speaker 1: The movie hit Man, number one movie on Netflix. It was like great reviews, great reviews.
Speaker 2: We were fast forwarding through it.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent on Rotten Tomatoes, one hundred percent. What is not ninety one hundred.
Speaker 2: Are the studios paying for this? I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I got to look into who bought Rotten Tomatoes. I know somebody did. Clearly it's not on the it's not on the up and up, it's not on the level, because there's no way possible that anybody watched that movie and said, oh my god, this is one hundred percent the best movie I have watched in years, because or this is a great movie at all.
Speaker 2: Right, what I wonder is, like I do know on Rotten Tomatoes, obviously they take all these critic of use and then they like curate them into a percentage of approval. But it's like they're the ones reading, allegedly reading the reviews and being like, here's so this critic really gave it a positive. I don't know. Like I would say about the idea of you Anne Hathaway's acting great, the entire movie really horrible. So would they take that and be like it was great even though I don't know?
Speaker 1: But hit Man. Here's the best way to sum up Hitman. When we turned it off, you go, I have a headache, and I was mad. I was, I was. I had a visceral reaction. I was angry at this movie. I was angry at the people that made this movie and I don't know them, and You're like, I have a headache. We both had this reaction.
Speaker 2: I don't know. From the trailer. I thought it was about a guy who pretended to be different hit men to get women to date him, and then like one thought he was a real hitman. That is in no way what it's about. But we both went at the end what was it? Was it a comedy? Was it romantic? Was it action?
Speaker 1: And I still don't know.
Speaker 2: I still don't know.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what the movie was.
Speaker 2: We were fast forwarding through. It is over two hours long. I don't know why all movies are so long. Give me a tight ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: We literally did. I started fast forwarding through the movie just to get through it.
Speaker 2: And again this is not a slam on the actors. I love Glenn Powell. I can't wait to see that movie Twister Neighbor. Yeah, he lives here in Austin. I'm not sure of the lead actress's name, but her acting was great but so bad, so don't waste your time. It didn't know what it was as a movie. I never laughed. There could have. We could have lost forty minutes. Now here's let's end on a positive note. A movie that I cannot figure out why this isn't getting more buzz. I cannot figure out why it didn't have as good of a rating on Rotten Tomatoes. My mom, my sister, my brother, and I so across genders, across ages, went to see the movie Babes. We were dying laughing. I would describe it in a one sentence as Bridesmaids but about pregnancy. It is so funny. If you want to go with your friends, your girlfriends, your partner, and just see a movie where you are going to leave feeling good, feeling great about people, about relationships, about parenting, about family, laughing your butt off. I mean I laughed to like cry it at one point. It's just a great watch. It should be the number one movie in America right now.
Speaker 1: And that lets you know why like Rotten Tomatoes has to be off and it has to be bought, because that makes no sense why a movie like that wouldn't resonate now I haven't seen it, would like our daughter who's in her twenties, and you know, I know it's about having a child and all that you need is that. Is it one of those things where you've got to be in that space in life or do you think every it'll resonate with everybody?
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like I saw Bridesmaids before I was married, and I thought it was funny, so like I think you'll laugh about it like and it gives by the way, Mike, give some young people great insight on parents.
Speaker 1: I think you hit on something yesterday we were talking about I forget who we're talking to, but you said something very poignant. Great movies like that like Babes And again I haven't seen it, but if you love it, I know I will. They hit and then later in life they hit for a different reason. Like you can laugh at Bride'smaids, you can laugh at Babes you can laugh at like even a coming of age movie like Saint Emo's Fire, which was big when I was younger, but I didn't get it because I hadn't gone to college and I hadn't graduated. You know. Saint Elmo's Fire is about that awkward moment when you're you know, like this young lady that was dating Bill Belichick, when you're moving into your new life. It's that transition and so but you can still love it and then later you're like, oh, man, I see why it hits harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had a friend tell me that they've reread books like that. They reread The Great gats That's what it was later in life. Everybody reads in high school. But they said, you know, I reread it later and I like viewed the whole story so differently, and I thought, oh, that's interesting. So I would say, go see Babes and then you maybe watch it again. But just wanted to end on a positive wreck because there is a good movie out there, as desolate as the film landscape is.
Speaker 1: And you know, we fought for fall Guy a while back, and I will say that has held on. I think the critics tried to hate on it. People like the Rotten Tomatoes, and it wasn't doing great, but it's held on into the theaters and it actually is getting closer and closer to that one hundred million dollar mark. I think it's at eighty five or close to ninety now. So that's another good one that we love that we didn't understand why it wasn't doing better. So let's end on a positive note. Go see Babes, Go see Fall Guy. There are movies out there, apparently they're just harder to find. Thank you guys so much for being with us. I hope you had a great weekend, and I hope you have a great week LZ. It's good to sit down with you again. It's about dang time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's spend some time with each other in front of the microphones.
Speaker 1: We will do it again next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most Dramatic pod ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.