Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: A man comes up with an ingenious solution to end a stalemate of a war that's been raging for a decade, and it works, But will he spend the rest of his life regretting it? It's The Odyssey and it isn't streaming anywhere, but it may just be the year's best movie so far. I'm Jordan Hoffman.
Speaker 3: And I'm that singer. With more movies, more series, more stuff going straight to streaming than ever before, it felt like the right time for podcast it keeps track of it all, and that podcast is usually Film Spotting SVU. But we're talking about a new movie this week. We violate singers law.
Speaker 2: We are being hubristic toward the gods. We're chopping off Athena's head right here and do it.
Speaker 3: We are not gonna talk about a streaming movie for one week. Jordan Hoffman cannot not talk about the Odyssey, and we're indulging him by talking about Christopher Nolan's Odyssey. Plus, we're gonna give you some Odyssey related streaming recommendations that you can watch at home. We will run down the week's new streaming titles and we will play a game. And it is all coming up on Film Spotting SVU.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Film Spotting SVU. I'm Jordan Hoffman and Hey, Matt Singer. Is this a very special episode of SVU? Are we sluing it up in a special way? I think we are. We're ignoring the prime director and we're talking about a film that is not stream it will stream eventually, which which of the services? I guess. I guess Peacock.
Speaker 3: Peak Peacock would be the obvious choice.
Speaker 2: Because it's a union in the US. Is being distributed by Universal Pictures. It'll go to Peacock, but you can also you know, I think Amazon for three bucks, and people are gonna want to do that because the Odyssey it's all anybody's talking about. Even my parents, who never go to the movies, are thinking about going, but they're very concerned.
Speaker 3: They have never seen it, but they're thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're like, maybe we should go see the Odyssey, but it's three hours eugh, because I'm like, yeah, but it flies by, and I say, it's only three hours to you, it's twenty years to Odysseus. I mean, come on, they're thinking about it is shouting, so listen. The Odyssey is a big ass movie. I mean, Christopher Nolan coming off of his a billion dollar box office hit and oscar Win Oppenheimer, could he up it. He went in. He put in all all his chips on The Odyssey, a movie that, by the way, he kind of has always wanted to make because originally he was tapped to do Troy, which was I guess now how long ago was Troy.
Speaker 3: That was almost twenty five years.
Speaker 2: He was originally in talks, but A Wolfgang Peterson was going to do it. Then Peterson stepped out pre Batman. Nolan was going to do it, and he wanted to do what he did here with the Trojan Horse. He said, let's not do the typical trojan horse we've seen on wheels, Let's do it. You know where people are drowning, They're in there for days, shitting all over each other and being miserable, and then Peterson's like, hey, guess what, I can make Troy again, and they're like, Chris Nolan, take a crazy horse and get the hell out of here. And he went and made something else instead. It all kind of worked out in the long run. So, yeah, it's a big movie, and you know, there was a little bit I don't want to give this too much oxygen, but there was a lot of pre feedback, mostly for dumb reasons. A lot of these bozos. It's funny because they they're the origin of these right wing bozos online kind of had their roots in Batman, which is where Nolan made his bone, so to speak. A lot of these bozos were very upset about the movie that they hadn't seen yet, and it turns out that they were wrong about what they thought was absolutely gonna happen in the movie, and they were like, we're boycotting it. It's gonna bomb, and it did not bomb. It's doing quite well. And the jokes on them. But more importantly, it's just I gotta say, if you ignore that side of the quote unquote online discourse about the Odyssey, you just ignore all the sort of the racist stuff and the anti trance stuff and all the nonsense. Most of the conversation has actually been pretty good. Like people are kind of excited about a book they were assigned to read in ninth grade, and if there are anything like me, they didn't actually read. They just kind of paid attention in class to do well on the test. And sales of The Odyssey and the Iliad on on tracking like Amazon forty percent up when people buy in the Odyssey. I'll admit that includes myself. I went and bought the Emily Wilson translation, which now sits on a shelf and I'll probably never actually open, but now I have it. Now I'm going to try to read it before the end of the year. So it's kind of cool. America has Odyssey fever. The Globe has Odyssey fever, and it's thanks to a really cool movie shot in the very difficult way. Matt, did you see did you see the sixty minutes episode with Christopher Nolan's showing off how they handcut the seventy millimeter negative and the way they do the old fashioned color timing without computers. It's kind of like a home It's not a it's a modern movie. Modern circa fifty years ago. It's a very homespun crafty thing that's out there right now.
Speaker 3: I did not see that, but I'm sure that sounds interesting, I guess, yeah, but yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: A good movie.
Speaker 3: I'm glad. I'm glad. You're you're this hype hyped for it.
Speaker 2: You do not have Odyssey fever.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I liked it, and now life goes on. I will, I will, I will endure. I have not bought a copy of the Odyssey. I will not be rereading the Odyssey read Why why would anyone want to reread it? After watching I feel like a lot of people are going to buy that book and it's gonna sit on that shelf and they're gonna read like one page. They're gonna see out dense and Greek. It is.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of stuff that's not in the movie that's in the tail, you know. And the movie itself also is is a hodgepodge of It's mostly the Odyssey, some of the Iliad, and even a little bit of the a Nid, which wasn't even written by Homer. It was written by some other guy named a lawsuit. That's a lawsuit right there. There's gonna be a so there's a nice hodgepodge there. And I don't know, well, I, despite your lack of enthusiasm, I have Odyssey fever.
Speaker 3: I know you do.
Speaker 2: Can't stop talking about cyclopses and lotus eaters and bad weather on the g and C. Lack of GPS is a problem.
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm still trying to get to the root of what it is about this movie. Obviously it is, you know, very handsomely made, beautifully crafted. It does have spectacular images, and the cast is really good. But we do see movies that maybe are not quite to this level of craft. But we see a lot of great movies every year, and not all of them inspire you, Jordan Hoffman, to be messaging me at all hours and making memes and everything. And I asked you this question last time, and then I listened to the episode and I don't feel I got a satisfying answer. I just like want to I really want to know what is it that you love about this movie? Forget about okay, well I didn't like this book in English?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah?
Speaker 3: What is it about this version that you are so captivated?
Speaker 2: But I'm going to give you an answer and I will say that when Oppenheimer came out, I got a little bit obsessed with that too, But I and I did read that book. I read that book before the movie, the specific Oppenheimer biography that's very, very lengthy, and that did kind of get me primed for why I felt that it was just such a very important story and whatever represented to modern living. I think what I like about this so much is that it is like the er text of like all fantasy and all science fiction. I mean, I don't know, maybe there is something older in non Western traditions. Maybe there's a text, an ancient Chinese text or something that's older. It's possible, but I mean from you know, I grew up in the USA, so where the Western CIV classes are what we took, and you know, this is kind of where, not where history starts, but like crazy ass stories about exciting worlds, and you know, I love Star Trek and every week they go to a different planet.
Speaker 3: Play the red alert sound here, Sam.
Speaker 2: Every week they go to a different island, and it's the island of the giants, or the island of the woman who makes you stew that turns you into a pig, or the my favorite island that Charlie's the on will feed you flowers island and wearing a fishing net or I think what it is is like as someone with a streak of like, I like, I like completionism. I'm giving you a little window into my neurosis.
Speaker 3: I like what I on the couch tell me.
Speaker 2: I like completionism, and I like like knowing something top to bottom, which is why when I, when I at age fourteen, said I am going to get into Star Trek.
Speaker 3: I have played the red alert sound here again plays Sam.
Speaker 2: I have read every Star Trek comic. I've read a lot of the Star Trek books. I know Star Trek in and out, and so I feel like I've conquered Star Trek a little bit. So with this, it's like Christopher Nolan, who's been making really cool movies, very inventive movies, Inception Interstellar, very creative. It's like he realized it all starts, that it's all starts. We all got to go back to one. Where did this all start. It all started with the Odyssey. I'm gonna put my premature on it. I'm gonna make it my way. It has his formalist tricks, the way he uses editing, the way he uses music, the way he cuts on the timeline, the way he uses a big imax camera, which you'll notice even if you see it in non imax, as I did, it still looks big somehow, the close ups and whatnot. So I just feel like he's he's a guy who's saying I am going to go back to the beginning and and understand everything about fantasy and sci fi and do it my way, and this is kind of where it all starts. So I think that that scratches an itch for me of like understanding things from the beginning.
Speaker 3: That's a better that's a better answer. Now I feel like I've gained a little bit more of a window. And I don't know if you even quite realize what you just said. You also just kind of compared yourself to him. You just said that you felt like he is going back to the beginning and trying to be completion as much as you are. So you're saying essentially that you like this one in because you're you're people kinship with him.
Speaker 2: People confuse me and Christopher Nolan and all I've seen. I mean, I am a tall, blonde British man with a scarf in eighty degree weather. I always drink a cup of tea. Have you met mister Nolan ever? Have you ever been like at a thing where.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hosted the New York Film Critics Circle Awards where he was given uh An Award. So I don't think we other than exchanging maybe a word of congratulations, we didn't really meet, you didn't. But I have been in his presence. He's a very handsome man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've I've been, not to brag, but I've been I think one, one, two, three occasions kind of been at a thing where it's like, Hoffman, you're up, go talk to this man. And I've been alone with him for a few minutes. And one time he truly was just drinking English breakfast tea in a little cup. It was wonderful. And he always wore a scarf. But like, he's a very relatable dude. I mean, there's you know, people who were very very successful. That's their thing. They make everybody feel at ease, you know. Yes, I have a friend of mine, very good friend of mine. He used to work at Paramount for a long time in the marketing department, and he they would periodically get the Tom Cruise visit to pump him up before it was time to start releasing that first trailer to whatever Mission Impossible movie, And he said he joked, he and his friend's joked is like, oh, here comes Tom Cruise to give us all the pep rally and like, no kidding, all irony just dropped when he left the building, like they were ready to climb a mountain. They were ready, Like I will do anything for that man. I could rip apart a bear. He has given me so much adrenaline right now. Because they're saying about certain people that they really just inspire something, and I think that Nolan is one of the very different from Tom Cruise. Obviously he's not jumping out of airplanes, but he's just an inspiring dude. So I don't know. I guess that's it. I guess I have a little bit of a crush on the guy. What can I say?
Speaker 3: That's all right, A lot of people do. I mean, That's part of the reason I'm asking is, you know, I admire his work. I've enjoyed a lot of his movies. I've loved a lot a few of his movies, but I just people revere him in a way that that I don't quite you know, like I just I guess I wish. I wish I felt as passionately about all of his movies the way that you feel about The Odyssey and that a lot of people feel about it. Yeah, And I guess I love that we have a big hit movie in theaters right now that was shot, as you said, shot on big film cameras, and that is being sold as a theatrical experience, and that yes, it has a ton of movie stars. It has almost every movie star on the planet in it. But it's also okay, well, I guess it is the original IP as you said, but this is not a superhero Well it is kind of a superhero movie, but it is, but that it is a it is literally good old fashioned storytelling, and I love all of that about it. But I don't know, I feel like it's not that much better that people should only get excited for Christopher Nolan movies. I wish people got this excited for the five other masterpieces we get every single year, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like, what are masterpieces of this level? Of this level are also like action adventure, there are great movies you know, after Sun is a great movie that touched me and moved me emotionally. But that's about a little girl crying on her vacation because her dad's a mess. It's not about it's not about giants.
Speaker 3: And the Odyssey is about an older woman crying because her husband is a mess. I mean there's.
Speaker 2: Whirlpools and giants and things like that. It's got that action. I don't let me ease you this way, Matt saying you are not alone. I know a few other people that are in your camp that are like B plus B plus. You know my friend Mike Miller Entertainment Weekly. He's the the Nolan, the nuanced no old man. For years we had this argument after Oppenheiri came out. He was just like B plus And there are other people too. But for me, I will say there were moments when I watched The Odyssey when and this is gonna sound obnoxious and make make me sound like the film broweus of film bros. But there were two moments where I was like this, this is the living Kubrick. You know, he is as good as we're gonna get. It was the moment when they were running away from the giants, and just the way that was put together and just the the you know, the the mix, the way was edited, and the just the look of fear on their faces. And then the final uh see final shipwreck when Heimis Patel is lost to Poside, you know, the wingman, the riker to uh to Odysseus's card is lost and when that moment. And I've seen a million shipwrecks and movies before, and this wasn't even like a particularly like on the page. It was like and then there was a shipwreck, but the way it was put together, the look on the face of them, I was just like levitating from from my seat. I don't know, It's just what can I say? It was? It was it was my reaction, and I'm glad I had it. If you're stuck in B plus Phil, I you know that's I can't. I can't rescue you. If you're eating lotuses with Charley, it's their own on B plus Island.
Speaker 3: Do you have to I'm trying to remember why I love you, mean four sped lotus flower.
Speaker 2: You need to throw yourself, take the leap of faith yourself and get off of B plus Island. But I don't know I'd be curious to know from the listeners, because I'm imagining that most listeners have seen it by now. Am I nuts? Am I blowing smoke? Am I? Am I eating the cool drinking the Lotus kool aid here, or a little a little bit of reservation? Let us know it. Feedback at film Spotting svu dot com and we'll maybe we'll read some Odyssey related related letters on the party.
Speaker 3: Just not gonna let this movie go. We're gonna extend it as long as we can, even though it's not a streaming movie. We're gonna doys. We'll do a revisit, right, we will travel. We're gonna have a We're gonna go to Greece and visit the famous sites of the Odyssey. There's money in the budget for that, Sam right to take a like to go of the oysse.
Speaker 2: I've never been to Greece, but I have been to Italy and twice I've been to spots that are like at least in the ancient world. I've been to Pompeii. I've been to Herculaneum, which is the Pompeii, which is actually in some ways even cooler than Pompeii, and I've been to like I don't know, I've taken a boat from where like Sorrento to Capri. You take a little boat. It's very lovely. And if a tour guide's worth his salt, he'll say, oh, over there, that is Hercules's mountain or some like. He'll throw some mythical shit at you, whether it's true or not. I mean, I used to be in New York City tour guide, so I used to make stuff up all the time. But I remember like being on the boat and he pointed at some rock formation It's like that is Hercules rock, and like it sent the chill down my spine. I'm like, yeah, that's he that's I took a picture like that rock as Hercules is rock like Hercules. Probably I don't even think Hercules a real person. But I don't know. I bought it. What can I say. I guess I just like this shit. I I you know, another rock I saw was Andromeda's Rock, which is in the Mediterranean. I remember toard like, that's Andromeda's rock. It's supposed to be the rock where Andromeda was saved by Perseus and Clash of the Titans when they you know, so very exciting. I got all excited and it was a rock. It was a rock in the middle of the water. It was nice weather. You could get a good pomegranate juice nearby. I mean, it was certainly pleasant. But I don't know I bought it. What can I say.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking back about the two you. You mentioned two moments that in the Odyssey that you that were like, I'm watching the living Kubrick. Those were your words, that's right, And neither of those moments made any impact on me whatsoever. There were parts of this movie that I did respond to very strongly. I love the ending, which I don't know how much we want to spoil, Yeah, but I did feel like it built The movie does build up a nice bit of closing speed belt that it was very powerful the last twenty minutes or so.
Speaker 2: Sure. What I love about the ending is it's Christopher Nolan having his revisionist cake and eating it too. There is an element that he added to this film of making the Odyssey something of an anti war text which does not really exist in the in previous iterations of translations. I mean, I've been reading up about it a lot, and if you look at it, most people interpret the original Odyssey as the Greek saying war is hell, but you gotta do it. It's a man's nature to be at war, and it's not fun, but it's necessary. And the Odyssey and Oppenheimer are very, very similar movies. The premise is you may be brilliant, and you may be able to do a thing, either create an Adam Baum or figure out the Trojan Horse, but it's going to haunt you. And war is not good and use your words not your fists. Right, that's not really that's new. So what happens is that big conclusion happens in a very touching scene with very Catholic elements of like, you know, he's confessing to Penelope through a grate and it gets it out there and it's like, wow, the Odyssey New twenty twenty six is anti war. Wow, that's new. And then once that's been established, there's a kick ass fight scene that goes on for fifteen minutes and all the suitors get slaughtered and they get there's and he's just.
Speaker 3: Born horrible but fighting is awesome.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like, all right, we just satisfied all the pacifists in the audience. Now let's go kick some ass and be tough guys. And I did find that very amusing. I mean, I don't know what that says about it that Nolan about life in general, but I did recognize the irony in that whole bit.
Speaker 3: I think it speaks to the thing that I do like about Nolan, which is that he's both like an intellectual and he has all of his movies have fascinating themes and bold ideas, and he's always saying something in them, but he also loves a good punchy KICKI scene like he. I mean, this is the man who made three Batman movies that were hugely successful on a mass level. They weren't you know, you could say, well, in some way they were a deconstruction of Batman. I suppose maybe when you place them alongside, like Batman and rob and they look like a deconstruction, but they're ultimately action movies about a guy who dresses like a bat to beat up criminals. Like, yes, they were thoughtful movies, but they did not violate the rules of a mass entertainment Batman.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. When you watch any of the three of his Batman movies, particularly the third one, which is the worst one but still very good. You'll be watching with that, You'll be watching the Dark Knight Rises, which I have done several times, and you'd be like, oh, this is deep, this is this is you know, intellectual, this is thought provoking. And he'd be like, it's ridiculous. Why is the guy have that mask on?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Catwoman? Stop being Catwoman?
Speaker 3: Be normal?
Speaker 2: What's the matter with you? It does happen to be that, Like there's a great again, there's a little bit of this contradiction in his work. It's like, I want to be smart, but I got to please the people and stick and Hathaway in a very tight Catwoman suit, for which I say, gives.
Speaker 3: The people what they want. You know. He's like, he seems as you know, and maybe this isn't. I don't know if this is Kubrick or not. Just the fact that he seems to recognize that at a certain point he would not be allowed to make a two hundred million dollar Odyssey movie if it didn't in some way please the person who just wants to see, you know, yeah, he wants to see the cyclops, the you know, the whirlpool, the you know, crazy action. Like if it's all going to be met damon eating lotus flowers and you know, paying homage to Memento. That's you know, eventually he's not you know, somebody's gonna close off the purse strings.
Speaker 2: That blank check will eventually bounce, is what you're saying. I mean, even Oppenheimer and Opperenheimer is not an action film, but there is there's a lot of yelling. It's a biopic.
Speaker 3: It is a very boldly structured one, but it ticks just about every box you would want from a biography of a great man. It does it in a very intelligent way and a formally interesting way, but it still works on that basic level.
Speaker 4: Are we saying there's a chance that when we push that button we.
Speaker 2: Destroy the world.
Speaker 5: Nothing in our research over three years suppose that conclusion except us the most remote possibility.
Speaker 2: How remote chances are near zero, near zero.
Speaker 5: What do you want from hery alone?
Speaker 2: So let's now close the three thousand euro tome that is the Odyssey. But we've been talking a lot about Christopher Nolan, so let's just again plant a flag here. The man has made many feature films, not a million, but many. He's our Kubrick Kuber didn't work that much that frequently either. But Christopher Nolan has made I'm going to tell you how many feature films he's made by going and opening this. Uh, he has made one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen feature length films. That's if you include following, which was only seventy minutes. But I do.
Speaker 3: Why why would you not include it?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because it's not that many people have seen it. I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 3: He made it.
Speaker 2: He made it, he made it, he paid for it himself, he opened He didn't ask for any money. He said, I'm paying for this. It cost him six thousand pounds to make it back in nineteen ninety whatever, Matt, let's just cut to the chase. What is your favorite? There can only be one. What is your favorite Christopher Nolan movie? And why?
Speaker 3: Well, for me, I mean there's no I don't even have to like. This is not a tough decision. I mean, to me, there's an obvious answer. Oh okay again, I don't think he's made a bad movie. No, he's made good movies and great movies and masterpieces. But my favorite, though singular one, the one that I have definitely watched the Well, maybe I've seen The Dark Knight more. It's not The Dark Knight, it's The Prestige. The Prestige is my favorite Christopher Nolan movie by a wide margin. I have watched it countless times. I rewatched it last week as I was preparing to go see The Odyssey. I loved it just as much as I ever have. I saw things in it that I had never noticed before. That's part of the reason I love watching it is that every time I watch it, I see things that I have not seen in it before. But yes, I find it. It is a movie like to me that has like no bottom, it has no there's no end to the amount of things you can think about and discover in this movie. You know it is. It is a movie that it that validates the very thing that they say, I think first in the movie and just about last, and they say it a million times, which is are you watching closely? It asks that question of the audience, and then it rewards those who are watching closely. It's a you know, it's a movie with a lot of twists and turns, and at the end it has a surprise. Much like The Odyssey. There are some surprises at the very end of the movie that reward you for having sat through the whole thing. But it's also a movie that when you go back and revisit it and you know what's going to happen, it doesn't lose anything just because you know some of the secrets that are.
Speaker 2: Going to get it more. It took me until the second watch to maybe just because I'm a moron, but I didn't quite put together that Nicola Tesla really did nothing for Christian Bale, like I still even though I Christian Bale sends Hugh Jackman out to Colorado as like a get out of my hair, like I fooled you, I still thought he had. I didn't know what was going on with the Crazy Machine, like I didn't realize that I didn't understand. I remember watching it the second time and understanding a lot more. Here's something interesting that I want to talk about with you, because I too watched it again recently because I hadn't seen it in a while. And then I opened up my favorite website called Wikipedia, and I was reading about the book the Book of the the Preceige.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's based on a novel I have not read, but.
Speaker 2: Very different, Like really Nolan took the book and threw like just changed changed facts. To his credit, he said, I'm taking the essence of this. I like the idea of warring magicians in this Victorian setting, and I like uh Nicola Tesla, and I like the box thing, but took out many characters and also just pretty much changed the ending because the way I interpret the ending, and I think the way most people interpret the ending is this. When I'm assuming people listening to this have seen the movie. It came out a long time ago, nearly twenty years ago. The spoil when you fall through the trapdoor and Nicola Tesla's machine zaps you, it creates a double, and the double is a few yards away. But when you fall through, if you're Hugh Jackman, who has given up all, has put everything into being a showman and all he cares about is his craft, you're saying to yourself, I am prepared to die right now, and you fall into a tank and you drown. That is how most people interpret that. In the book, Apparently, when the test machine zaps you, it creates a double and puts your consciousness in that double. And the first Hugh Jackman just becomes like a like a like an empty shell, like a zombie, and that's not in the movie, and that that changes everything to me, I will say Matt Singer. In the very first Star Trek novel called Spock Must Die, written by James Blish, it is positive that when you go through the transporter, the Prestige Tesla machine from the book is what happens. You die, but your clone lives. And this is not discussed much in canon the Cave. You really parse some of the things Bones has said over the years, you might think he believes this. I asked Mikah Kuda about this once. MIKEA. Huota is very important guy in Star Trek lore, and he's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, we don't really talk about that much. I guess we got to go through a transporter first to see but makes sense. So there are some strains of Star Trek fandom who believe that the Prestige and the Transporter are very very similar. I just want to put that out there. Well, how do you interpret that ending though of because he says Hugh Jackman says, you never know, nobody cares about the man in the box. They only care about the man they could see and you know, and but it's like he's still holding out hope that he is going to live, even though the he that is there is going to drowned in a minute. And when we see him drowning, he's not having a fun time. He's not like it is accomplished. For the end of Black Swan, where she's happy, it's he's going, get me the hell out of this time. I hated here. I'm about the drown It's no fun to me.
Speaker 3: I just see this all as a movie about art, to be like the magic and the sci fi elements of it are there as an allegory for being an artist and the idea of sacrificing for art and how far are you willing to go to become the greatest of them all? And I think when you watch Nolan's movies and you read about him obsessing over you know, seventy millimeter cameras and he's on sixty minutes showing how they cut the film and all this, if he doesn't necessarily believe these things, he's sure done a great job of building this mythology around himself.
Speaker 2: Right, as like the two guys, as.
Speaker 3: Like the two Guys, And so I think every time I watch it, I see more about art and filmmaking in that movie as this kind of you know, Rosetta Stone of his entire career. There's you know a lot of themes that pop up in other movies you mentioned, like there's doubles, there's duplicates. There are secret identities, which is like Batman. It is like the Odyssey. You know, Odysseus comes home and puts on a disguise. He wears a KP. He wears a practically where's a mask, and he has a secret. He has a new name. You know, he's Batman basically, or he's an jeer, or he is Lord Caldlow. There are dead wives. There are all of these elements that you can find throughout Nolan's filmography. But the stuff that I continue to find fascinating is just, you know, there's these great lines in it that are all about magic, but all kind of work as being about art and filmmaking. You know, the secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything, you know, like, yeah, it's great that Christopher Nolan shoots on film, and it's cool to see him cutting physical celluloid. But if the movie was a piece of direc nobody would care about all of that.
Speaker 2: And there's an I'm not going to say who, but there's a very very low budget British filmmaker who makes movies on sixteen millimeters that occasionally show at festivals, and a lot of people who are just into tech are like, Ah, he's the guy who's doing it. He's the guy who's doing it. And I seen his movies. They're boring as hell. There there's nothing going on there. I've tried. He's made three movies. I've seen two of them. Enough with this guy, I'll tell you who he is later. I don't want to Yeah, like.
Speaker 3: Again, like every little thing, like the line he's a wonderful magician, he's a dreadful showman. Sounds like a statement that could apply to a lot of directors, including the one you were just vaguely alluding to. Right, and you asked about how I interpret the element of the movie involving Hugh Jackman's character. I mean, we haven't even explained the plot. I assume most people do know it, but it is about Hugh Jackman and Christian bale Is, these warring magicians, both trying to outdo one another, and they both have versions of a trick that involves transporting, seemingly transporting themselves magically from one place to another. I cannot claim this next feat as illusion. Watch careful, you'll.
Speaker 4: See no trickery.
Speaker 5: No trickery is employed, merely a technique familiar to certain citizens of the Orient and various holy men of the Himalayans.
Speaker 3: It's called in both versions, with various alterations, it's called the transported Man. And I think that comes from the book. But I also love that because what does every filmmaker hope to do when they make a movie. They hope to transport people. They hope to take them out of their lives and send them back to ancient Greece, or to Gotham City, or to the you know, to outer space or whatever it is. That's another kind of weird, little quiet, little resonance. But the whole aspect of Hugh Jackman's trick, the transportation, as you mentioned, as you spoiled. It creates a double and one person gets to be on you know, in front of the crowd, basking an adoration, and one person winds up you know, murdered. But ultimately, like originally it's under the stage and not getting to you know, like kind of away and.
Speaker 2: Taking it for the team. He's got to take one for the team, and not right now.
Speaker 3: And his ego, his eagle, will not allow him to be not soaking in the applause. And so that is why he creates and creates and ends up doing this horrible thing that you were alluding to. But I but I mean, directors make beautiful things that delight and astound people, and ninety nine point nine percent of the time they're not in the room to appreciate that this is art that is you know, created to be shown elsewhere. You know, they're at the premiere, they're at a screening Gyeah.
Speaker 2: When they're at the premiere, they're also there with the studio invites, you know, when you know they go to the can Film Festival, everybody's there to give them the standing ovation. And then you know they got to go to a theater in Idawaho to see how people really respond.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: It is so all of these little things that is why I find myself going back and back. And yes, it has great performances. It has a beautiful screenplay written by brothers, which is an interesting element for a movie that has twins and one.
Speaker 2: But let's be honest here, one brother is there, both in the same business, and one's doing a lot better than the other one. Not that Jonathan Nolan is out there chilling for work, but he's he's not Christopher Nolan. He's the He's very much the other brother. The Coen brothers are equals. The Nolan brothers are not. No disrespect right.
Speaker 3: So again, like I we could do a two hour episode just on the Prestige, I would have no I could do it right now with no further preparation. But that's my that's my pick, Jordan, and I do want to say, let me just say, please you have not seen or wish to revisit The Prestige streaming right now on Hulu and Peacock. So there you go. What about you? What's your what's your top? Nolan?
Speaker 2: Humorously enough, last week's episode, we talked about the movie Reducks, Reducks, and you mentioned how you hate the trope, which is the walk hard trope of like you don't want this, you gotta get off this train, you gotta stop, and that happens in The Prestige. David Bowie as Nicola Tesla. He coool casting. He's not in it that much, but when he's on screen he kills it. He tells, Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 3: Your abopessions will destroy you as they have destroyed me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the same beat, but it's a little different. Like you said last week, I don't mind the beat so much. I hate I need a little spin on it, and this twenty year old movie has the spin. My tragedy about The Prestige is thus but it has a happy ending. The Prestige came out in two thousand and six, twenty years ago, and I heard it was great, but I didn't see it in the theaters for two reasons. One, back in two thousand and six, I was not working yet in the movie related biz, and every time I wanted to see a movie, I had to shell out a few bucks, so I was a little more at a discretionary about what I saw was not made of money. But the real reason I didn't see it was there was a movie that not many people remember, that came out two months before The Prestige. Do you know which movie I'm talking about, either of you.
Speaker 3: I would imagine there's a bunch of movies that came out two months Beforetige, but I don't know the specific one you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Sam knows everything. He's gonna put it in the chat. I could see Sam typing right now. He knows my brain. A few months before The Prestige came out, there was a movie called The Illusionist and Edward Norton as The Illusionist. And it is an okay movie. It is a B minus bad. It's not bad. It's a bee to B minus. It's a bee it's okay. And it's set. It's not set actually in Britain, but it's set. I don't know where. It's set, Austria, Hungary. It says here in Vienna, back in the day. And it's just like a very similar type of movie, just from the poster and the trailer.
Speaker 3: Tonight Es and gentlemen.
Speaker 7: From the furthest corners of the world where the dark art still holds sway, I present you a man who has unlocked these mysteries.
Speaker 2: So I saw The Illusionist. I shelled out, and then everyone's like, you gotta see the Prestige. I'm like, I just saw. I just saw a magician movie and it wasn't that great. I'm not made of money. Forget the Prestige. I'm not interested. And then I never saw it. And then and then later after the Batman movies and people are talking about Christopher Nolan is the is our living Kubrick. I'm like, what, really, where where did this guy come? Was it Insomnia? Wasn't that? I remember? Memento Momento is cool? But you never saw The Prestige. No, I never saw us. I had a schlepover to the Blockbuster watch it on VHS, so I've never actually seen it in a theater. But the happy ending is that it actually is getting a re release later this year for the twentieth anniversary. So I don't know that it's gonna play every multiplex, but I will have the opportunity to go see The Prestige in theaters and that will be the happy third act for me. My favorite Christopher Nolan movie also is one that I really don't don't need to think about too much. Prior to this film, I would have said Interstellar, not just because I love outer Space. I find the central premise touching. I just love the music. I listen to that soundtrack all the time. I just I just really really really enjoy Interstellar, and I think Inception is cool too, and I like the bad like them all, even like following it a little. But I like the one with al Pacino. It's even not that great, but I like it. But I'll tell you. I remember where I was when I first saw the movie Tenant. I was home because it came out during the COVID, remember the COVID, And there.
Speaker 3: Was a thing, yes, I remember the COVID.
Speaker 2: There was a whole thing about should be released in theaters, And actually Tenant was released in a few theaters, but not in New York City where I was living at the time, and some people actually did schlep out to Connecticut or wherever to see it. And I was given by the studio, much against Christopher Nolan's wishes, by It's funny by Warner Brothers. He was a one Brother's man until this happened, and now he's a universal man. They did let critics watch it on a link, but it was a very very short window because of piracy and because of Christopher Nolan's dismay about all this. So I had the link was good for like twelve hours. You could watch Tenant in twelve hours. So I turned it on, I hit play. I was transported into a universe I did not know existed. It was over. It was late at night already, it was now already eleven o'clock, and I said this, this link is going to expire. I must watch this again right now. And I did, and I stayed up till one thirty in the morning. I watched Tenant twice in a row, back in front. If only I had watched it once backwards and watch forwards. I've seen Tenant five or six times. I don't really understand it. Every time I watch it, I start to think I understand it, and then I go, no, I don't. I'm taking it on faith. I think it makes sense. Of course, it can't make sense because these things don't exist. You cannot make a temporal pincer move because that's not a real thing. So it makes as much sense as you want it to. But I am just so enthralled by it and captivated by it. And even Kenneth Browna doing the musketche mouse and squirrel Russian accent works for me. I just every molecule this movie brings me joy. Maybe it's because I first saw it, not in the theater where I should, but it was during these COVID times, which were very bleak and this cool thing. I did eventually see Tenant in a theater. They did have rereleased around Oppenheimer, and I saw that in Imax and it was just so good. How would you like to die?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You've chose their own profession. I have spent time on Reddit looking at Tenant threads trying to follow the graph of where they're moving. No, I'm I'm not smart enough for it. I even saw an interview with Nolan where he even confessed sometimes that he gets confused and doesn't know what's going on. But it is just so cool. The look, the music, the editing, the camera movement did the plane smashing into the thing. The guy's running around backwards, John David Washington stabbing himself in the arm and then healing and then bleeding, and you don't know what the hell is going on talking into the thing? Why would talking into the thing go backwards? Schmuh. And then they understand each other. It's great. Everything about it is great. There's no other movie like TenneT. There's so many Kakamaimi crazy science fiction movies out there, there's none that's quite so crazy but also so big and polished with a production design and a budget like this. It's a one of one. Nothing else out there is like this, and it is my favorite and it will always be my favorite. And there's nothing you can do to stop me. That is my answer. Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, I don't understand it, but I like it. I don't know what's going on, but it's the best of he's ever made.
Speaker 2: This is how I feel about a lot of things. Sometimes my wife gets upset with me. I go, I don't understand you, but I love you. I mean, that's just the way it is. That's that's what life is all about.
Speaker 3: You have the patients of a saint. I certainly couldn't do it. God bless that woman. Uh yeah, my First of all, I want to know what I did wrong because I did not get a link to tenant. Nobody gave me a screening link to watch at home during the COVID. I did the thing during the COVID that a lot of people did. Yeah, well, I rented. I did the whole thing where you could rent a theater. Do you remember? Do you remember that that became a thing they like, They made them relatively inexpensive, that's right. Yeah, And I went actually went with my brother in law. We hadn't been to the movies in a very long time and he wanted to go too, So the two of us went to a theater in Connecticut. I was we were hanging out with my in laws at the time, and I rented out this multiplex and the you know, the whole punchline is, this is the first time I've been in a movie theater and what was it like six months at that point something.
Speaker 2: Like that, which the guys like us is a long time to some people, right.
Speaker 3: I know, to most people that's that's normal, but to us, that's like, you know, yeah, that's a that's a drought of all droughts. And uh. The whole idea was, oh, there's the there's the COVID. You don't want to be in an enclosed this the movie theater is the worst place you could be, right, yeah, okay, but we'll rent a private screening room and it'll be private and you don't have to worry about that. Fantastic, I'm doing it. I gotta see Tenant. And we show up to the movie theater and we have our tickets and we go to our private theater and we walk inside and the movie hasn't started yet, but there's two people inside who are furiously making out, not just in there, like just going at it. The opposite of the germ free surgical operating room like environment you want in the age of the COVID. Yeah, where are people making out? To the tenant pre show and a random cinema in Connecticut?
Speaker 2: How did they sneak into your theater? That was the Singer Theater and they snuck in?
Speaker 3: We had to like go out find a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and be like, excuse me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, we're wearing masks all of this stuff. Excuse me, there are people brutally making out. They're round and third right, yes, they're they're they're engaging in a temporal pincer movement.
Speaker 2: So how what it had they kicked.
Speaker 3: Them out or eventually Yeah, we found someone, they went in, they politely asked them to depart. They left, and then we went in and we sat in the theater and I held my breath for two hours, Right, and I were very nervous.
Speaker 2: You're like, geez, this is supposed to be a clean.
Speaker 3: Room, and right, that was already ruined immediately. It didn't matter what happened after that. But in terms of the movie, uh, like all of Christopher Nolan movie movies, it is beautiful, It is interesting, It has provocative ideas, It has a great cast, it has great performances. But I think, even as I said, uh last week on the show, the more I watch it, and I have watched it a few times now, the less I understand it. It is the only movie I think where like trying to get deeper into it and to put it together only makes it more confusing.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's why it's perfect.
Speaker 3: And that's why you love it.
Speaker 2: All I have for you is a word tenant. All right, Well, you know we're we're we're we're running late. It's a long episode already, but let's just very quickly do a res egg for uh, the.
Speaker 3: Oddop, the one love so much that you can't recall the name of it, the honesty.
Speaker 2: Do you Matt Singer want to tell people what the name of this segment is called? I know you like to do it.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's the recommendation segment. I mean it's also known as.
Speaker 8: Works not to be confused with buzzuga.
Speaker 2: Now, but let's do a lightning round re seg because we got to get to the game. It's a good game this week. What is she? Would you like to resegg first or shall I?
Speaker 3: I can go first, I can do it first.
Speaker 2: Let's look at it.
Speaker 3: I this is I will confess something here that I probably should have mentioned during our discussion of the Odyssey, as it might be a mitigating factor for my opinion. I think swords and sandals movies are generally not interesting.
Speaker 4: I think they're I think.
Speaker 3: They're kind of boring. I associate them with all of the most boring classes I had to take in college. It's not a genre that I love.
Speaker 2: I like I like an airplane. I like movies about gladiators, like in Rocky Horror. I like to see a good Steve Reeves movie. I'm a big fan of the peplam genre. Continue continue.
Speaker 3: So it's not I'm not an expert in it, but I thought I would use this as an excuse to watch some stuff that I hadn't seen. The Odyssey, which I did like, did make me think, well, maybe i'm you know, maybe I need to give this other shot. I watched Troy, which we already mentioned. I didn't like it, thought it stunk just bad. It made me appreciate the Odyssey even more, and I was somebody told me, oh, you got to watch the director's cut. It's four hours long and it's a lot better. I ain't watching a movie that's twice as long as the crummy version. No, thank you, I'm going to pass on that for now. So instead I was thinking about what I could recommend possibly, or what I could see, and it gave me the opportunity to scratch a cinematic witch I have never scratched. Oh, which is that? I? As I'm sure Jordan and Sam and longtime readers and listeners of mine will no, am a obsessive and fascinated by the films of one Arnold Schwarzenegger. And Arnold Schwarzenegger's obsession with movie and bodybuilding can be both traced back to the exact same thing, a series of Italian Hercules movies starring bodybuilder Reg Park. He saw these movies as a teenager in Austria and he was mesmerized by them. Now mostly he was mesmerized by Reg Park's physique. But nonetheless, I've never seen any Reg Park Hercules movies, and I decided I would watch I would watch one and try to understand what it was that so inspired the last action Hero of my own youth, and on YouTube I found Hercules in the Haunted World from nineteen sixty one, which to my surprise was directed by Mario Bava. Is the second film ever made by Mario Baba after Black Sunday, and honestly I really liked it. It was full of surprises. It is a bit schlocky at times. The version I watched was dubbed and it it is not the most beautiful print in the world, but it does have a kind of This movie has a kind of oddball, artificial sort of beauty. In terms of its depiction of ancient Greece. It might not be possible to make one that's more different than Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey. It is like a fever dream of ancient Greece that's also Italy, And it kind of looks at times like the nineteen sixties Batman TV show with all the colored gels and lights and like kind of psychedelic atmosphere. I've never seen anything quite like it, but it is a little like The Odyssey. Hercules redch Park. He returns home from a long journey to the woman he loves. Later, to save that woman, he ventures into Hades, although again it's a very different look to Hades in this film. He has to locate this object that will cure her of this mythological sickness. But there's all kinds of practical effects. There are monsters, some of them very striking looking, not as impressive, not as realistic as The Odyssey, but a kind of nightmarish in a fun way. It I feel like I kind of mentioned this movie or quote it reference it way too much on this podcast. But it struck me as the sort of movie because Christopher Lee is the villain of the film. Yeah, it struck me of like a kind of movie that Leonardo DiCaprio's character from Once upon a Time in Hollywood might have made. You know, at this time he could have played that character or Hercules' sidekick if his career got really bad. Because boy does Christopher Lee look not happy to be in this movie.
Speaker 2: He is bummed out.
Speaker 3: He just looks very sad.
Speaker 5: The voces of evil dominated this land before the Father of Eurites defeated them and banished them forever to the Kingdom of the Dead, and there cryst will hang over us and over all this land until such time as the last descendant of him who banished them shall be destroyed.
Speaker 2: But surely there must be some way to combat them.
Speaker 3: As for the Arnold connection, Yeah, Reg Park, I don't know that he's the best actor I ever saw. He's not that great as a presence, but boy does he have a great physique. I'll give him that. He does look like I.
Speaker 2: Can do him one beta. I will also be funny.
Speaker 3: That's right. He does look like he could have been the model for the Hercules that shows up in Marvel comics as a member of the Avengers. I mean, he just looks like a Greek demi god.
Speaker 2: And I'm looking at Reg Parks. He only made five movies between the years of sixty one and sixty five. Four of them are Hercules movies. One of them is a Machista film and Machiste Machista Matchista in the House pronounced. That's another character that actually Steve Reeves did a lot of his. I've seen some Steve Reeves.
Speaker 3: He is another very famous Hercules. Yeah, but Arnold was. I mean, I'm sure he liked those two. But Reg Park, that's the guy. If you read his memoir, which I have read that's the guy. He talks about Reg Park and inspired by his pictorial muscles phenomenon, and maybe for him, maybe that's all it was. But honestly, I liked the movie for the bavaiss, for the atmosphere, for the direction, the sets, the costumes, kind of practical but kind of plastic monsters.
Speaker 2: I had had a little bit had a little bit of money behind it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it has a lot of money, but it has a little bit of artistic flair. So Hercules in the Haunted World available on YouTube. It wasn't streaming anywhere else, but the full movie was on YouTube. That's your what's your rec seg recommendation for the odds.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna let the I'm gonna let the readers know that that is the second of the five Reg Park films.
Speaker 3: Okay, I haven't seen the others. You don't need to see anything else, I promise you.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I was thinking, like you, I would do something similar and try to find something in the same vein. And it took me three tries. And I wasn't gonna watch two thousand and one at Space Odyssey. I wasn't gonna watch o Brother or art Thou. There also is a movie called Ulysses Gaze, which I maybe saw one hundred years ago, that is loosely based on the Odyssey with Harvey Kaitel. But I remember that being a little dull, and I wasn't in the mood. So the first thing I did was I found there is a movie called Helen of Troy, and Helen of Troy is from the year. It's from the fifties, and it's kind of like a mishmash of all these you know, it's a little bit of the of the Iliad and a little bit of the Odyssey, and it's got all these characters, and it was directed by Robert Wise, So I was like, this is gonna be good. Right. It's directed by Robert Wise, who of course made you know. I mean he made the Sound of Music, right, I mean that was That's a biggie, and he made He was an editor on Citizen Kane.
Speaker 3: He made, by any chance, did he direct a Star Trek Motion.
Speaker 2: Major directed Star Trek Star trekst One the motion picture he did do that, which I think is a very good movie. And he also did The Andromeda Strain, which I love. I love the Andromeda Strain. So here's the parts. Hell if Troy kind of blows, it's really boring. I liked the look of it, but it was not that good, so I went back to the well and then I found something very arty from the year nineteen eighty nine called Nostos the Return. And what I loved about this is that it is in a made up language. There is not a lot of dialogue in it, but when they do speak, it's just gobbledy cook with no subtitles. So I like that it was meant to be agient Greek that you're not supposed to understand. It is a very already naturalistic depiction of Odysseus's journey that is probably beautiful to see. It's kind of like a very art film, great to see in a theater. A lot of sweeping shots of Greek islands and whatnot and caves, but not a lot of action. It's a very short movie, and I liked it, but it's really not what I was looking for. So then I found it, like Goldilocks. I found it on the third try. There is a movie from nineteen fifty four called Ulysses, and Ulysses, of course, is the Latin version of Odysseus the Latin name, and it is an Italian production, but an Italian Hollywood production. So it's an Italian director by the name of Mario Camerini Mario Bava, by the way, you mentioned him earlier. He was involved in the production in some he did some of the special effects. But it stars Kirk Douglas as Odysseus slash Ulysses and Anthony Quinn as Antinous, who is the Robert Pattinson character. And it's swashbuckling. It's pretty damn good.
Speaker 6: Marvel and the tremendous spectacle of the proaching more Ulysses and his warriors bringing from the mammoth wooden horse to overwhelm the walls of Troy. See Ulysses live his fantastic adventures again film where they actually happened five thousand years ago, The thousand and one Krills of Ulysses, the greatest of all adventurers.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of commonalities with the Odyssey the New One in terms of what they cover. I mean, the Cyclopsis cage, you know, Penelope at the loom, Telemachus being a whiny little boy. It's all in there. But there's also a lot of stuff that's in this movie that's not in Nolan's version. Like there's a whole chapter in the book about adventures on an Island with Nausica, and Nausica is not in the Nolan version at all. And Nasica is a big character in this and she's wearing a very beautiful dress and whatnot. It's very alluring, So I would say more so than Helen of Troy, which does the movie version Helen of Troy by Robert Wise, which does have the Trojan horse in it pretty prominently, and that's a pretty cool scene. This has the Trojan horse in it for just a moment or two. But I gotta say I kind of dug this Italian ulysses. Like you said, it's got the big poppy colors as with the Hercules film. I guess that was how they did it in Italy back then. And you know, because Nolan's version is a little washed out at times. There's a lot of whites and grays and tans and whatnot, and this has got poppy color. But what's funny is that because it was an Italian film of the era, the actors just spoke the language that they spoke in real life, and they dubbed it all after and that's how it was done back then. There were two streamable versions of this Ulysses that I found, and the first one was on Tube, which we love, right. We talked about two be a couple weeks ago. And it was all in Italian with subtitles including Kirk Douglas speaking Italian, and it was a very washed out, bleached out VHS and I said, ah, this kind of looks not so hot. Let me see. It was also on Pluto TV. Let me see what Pluto's version looked like. Udo's version was also all Italian with subtitles, but the print was pristine. So I would say, go to that one. I don't know where the English dub is. I couldn't find it for free anyhow. But Pluto, man did they slam dunk on Tube with their with their Ulysses. Hats off to Tubby, but I will hats off to Pluto. But Pluto has more ads than Tube. I was getting pummeled by ads, it was. It was more than so there's no there's no winning. You're gonna lose either way. But anyway, that's that's my pick for like a good kind of you know, Ray Harry Housen was not involved, but it had that Ray Harry Housen feel that clashed the Titans feel. You know, some of these right wing bozos that wanted a more quote unquote traditional Odyssey. You know, maybe they would want this because it's pure Hollywood schlock although Italian, but pure nineteen fifties shlock of just like you know, all the girls are got there, they're all you know, Oh it's a man. A man watches up on shore. They're all giggly, and the men are all a lot of wrestling too. There's a scene where Ulysses and the man. It's slocky, good fun. I liked it a lot, but it is not an intellectual pursuit in the into the degree that that the Odyssey was one funny thing was because it's Italian, I guess. And the movie is called Ulysses, which has nothing to do with James Joyce obviously, but it used all the Latin versions of things. So they didn't talk about it this he's to talk about Ulysses. They didn't talk about Poseidon, they talked about Neptune. But when it came to Zeus and Zeus's law, they stuck with Zeus. They didn't change him to Jupiter or Jove, which I thought was very funny. I was I wish I could ask nobody from that made this movie is still with us, I'm sure, but I'm like, what's what was the thinking there? Why did you Latin all the Greeks except for Zeus just because Zeus is a cool sounding word more than Jupiter. I don't know, but anyway, that's what's going on on Pluto TV right now.
Speaker 5: Give me back my men, goddess, demon wish or what whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's recap here our rex Egg. I guess we should acknowledge that we did also talk about our favorite Nolan movies. The Prestige was on was on Peacock, and it was also on Hulu. That was my favorite. Jordan's was Tenant, which is not streaming anywhere right now, which is kind of bizarre, but you can rent it for three bucks. You can rent it for three or four bucks in a variety of places. And then, in terms of our recommendations for the Odyssey supplemental viewing, I recommended Hercules in the Haunted World. I found it on YouTube, but it's also available on Prime, Video Plex and Canopy, and then Jordan went through a whole potpourrie of these ancient Greek epics Helen of Troy, which he said stunk on cood. Nostos the Return was on vod was kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are numerous prints of Nostos the Return on YouTube, and I clicked on one. It was kind of shoddy. I tried a second one and it was much cleaner, and I think people might find that intriguing. It's also okay short, it's true.
Speaker 3: And then ulysses the Kirk Douglas movie. You said the best version you found was on Pluto, but also it was on tub and it's also on vod. And if people want to find out more about all of the recommendations on this and every episode of SVU, we always recommend go to letterboxed look for the list called now Streaming on bazooga, the made up streaming service that we coined on our first episode. We have a running list that's curated and updated by the great Sam van Halgrin of all the movies that we've recommended on the show. If you click the read notes option, you can also read what we said about all of them. Sam puts in all of the pluses and minuses we say about the movies, and I'll also tell you where we found them. And we didn't do a personalized recommend recommendation this week. We're trying to make a shorter episode. Ha, good luck with that, but uh, we're gonna get back to that on our next episode. If you want us to recommend a title for you and you alone, you can send us a note feedback at filmspotingsvu dot com. We will we will give you a recommended something or other that watch on streaming if you tell us what kind of movie you're looking for and what kind of streaming services you use.
Speaker 9: Zouga when you gotta stream Buzzooga, it's cream of the crop. It's right at the top of your favorite streamings.
Speaker 3: All right, it's time for our weekly game here on Film Spotting SVU. And after the drubbing three weeks in a row, and I gave Jordan the former games mass I know you cannot be defeated. Now he's on a losing streak. He's like, I don't want to play anymore. I'm hosting this week, so Jordan, you're in charge. What is our game this week?
Speaker 2: The game this week is called because it is Odyssey week. It's called My Big Fat Greek Film Spotting Game, My Big Bets Film Spotting Game. And what it is. It's not that dissimilar from a game that I concocted several weeks ago related to the West Wing because we had a movie with Alison Janney. The uh, I am going to give clues to the name of a film that has an actor or actress in the Odyssey in it. The first person to get it based on the clues will go at and you will have an opportunity to win two points. You got to say the name of the movie, and you got to say the performer and who it is that you gotta say the performer that's in the eye. So like, okay, if you fit you're at the movie, but don't know who's in the Odyssey, you'll only get one point and the other person gets a chance to steal Okay, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, So these are all movies starring people who are also in the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, So I'm gonna start name If.
Speaker 3: I you say, and you said, if we know the movie but not the actor, then we can answer for one point, but the other person can get the other point if they know the person.
Speaker 2: Right, If you say, oh, I know that movie, it's the Wizard of Us, but you've Jim Katta.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then you don't know the actor. Then I'm like, that was Kurt Thomas, you moron.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. So there are going to be ten of these, so there is the potential for somebody to win twenty to zero, or you could each time.
Speaker 4: Okay, that might just happen.
Speaker 2: Here we go. We're starting first on. It's all on the my big fat Greek film Spotting SVU game.
Speaker 3: It's a good name.
Speaker 2: Number one, clue number one. This movie made nine hundred million dollars at the global box office.
Speaker 3: It's not Jim Kata.
Speaker 2: I'm moving on clue to. This movie is fourth in a series of eight. Really, I thought that would have done it. Okay, this movie.
Speaker 4: I'll throw it in there. I'll just say Avengers Endgames.
Speaker 3: Who's there's only four Avengers? Oh?
Speaker 4: I know what it is now? Shoot? Yeah, I was just thinking of.
Speaker 3: How many clues are there here? Jordan, we got more? We okay, keep going, keep them going, because I don't I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: This movie co stars Shirley Henderson. This movie co stars Timothy Spall.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh, okay, so it's the fourth one. Well, what's that one called. It's Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Speaker 2: Correct, Matt Singer gets one point.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now, Rich, of the million people in that movie is one of the million people in uh in this one?
Speaker 2: Gee, that's the obvious person.
Speaker 3: I'm so obvious. I'm sure that everyone in the listener. I have not rewatched this movie.
Speaker 2: Now went to three, and then Sam could still can steal I can, I'll steal it?
Speaker 3: Whow I'll let I can, I'll let I can look at it, Sam, I don't know. I could guess, but you just go ahead.
Speaker 4: It's Pattinson.
Speaker 3: Oh, of course he plays what's his name, cric degree. That's right. I was not thinking of him, so I wouldn't have gotten it.
Speaker 10: That's oh, there you go, all right, Robins, Pattinson's off the board, or there might be.
Speaker 2: I have yet to determine. I have yet to reveal whether or not there can be repeats. Okay, we don't know. But Pattinson was the answer to number one. Okay, all right, all right, number two. This movie is distributed by twentieth cent entry.
Speaker 3: Fox, who would possibly get it based on that.
Speaker 2: That's that that that really is. Just to let you know that this is X amount of years old because it's not brand new. The twentieth century Fox doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: It's got to be at least six years old.
Speaker 2: Thank you that now, now you get where I'm going. This movie is a streaming by twentieth century Fox. This movie has a worldwide gross of four hundred and seventy two million dollars. This movie had its debut on The Queen Mary two. This movie has music written by Bene Pasic and Justin Paul.
Speaker 4: I think I greatest showhow.
Speaker 3: The greatest zenda That doesn't make it?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I don't know that.
Speaker 3: More importantly, why would you use that as a clue if it makes no sense?
Speaker 2: It's just kind of interesting.
Speaker 4: I don't know them, Palace Production, I don't.
Speaker 2: I found it was intriguing that they were watching Hugh Jackman ride an elephant on the Queen Mary too. I thought that was kind of cool. Sam with the lead three to one, Let's move on to clue number three. This movie co stars Chuck Zito. This movie co stars Adrian Pasdar. This movie co stars Vigo Mortensen. All Right, this movie was written by David Kepp. What You're gonna know it? SAMs almost got it? All right, He's gonna get it on this one. This movie includes a sequence that was shot on location at Grand Central Terminal in New York City.
Speaker 3: The one that I'm thinking of, I don't think Figo was in.
Speaker 2: Ego was not fall Time.
Speaker 3: Oh he was not famous at the time. Oh no, okay, then it's definitely not the one I'm thinking of.
Speaker 2: Do you need one more? You're gonna get it on this one. This movie was directed by Brian de Palma.
Speaker 3: Who what Brian DePalma movie has? Chuck Zito?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Is it Bonfire the Vanities?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Destroyed Matt. This movie has a sequence shot at Grand Central Terminal in New York City.
Speaker 3: I mean, is it not the Is it the Untouchables?
Speaker 2: No, Chicago both get a zero? You both get a zero. The movie is Carlito's Way.
Speaker 3: Oh, I haven't seen Carlito's Way in a long time.
Speaker 2: Good, It's so good. The last fifteen minutes is al Pacino running around like a crazy person in Grand Central and then he dies at the end. Spoiler and you know who shoots him, Benny Blanco from The Bronx played by John Leguizama.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're right.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I thought that you guys get the point, gets the points. No one gets the points. All right, we're.
Speaker 4: Moving always wins. Sorry, we're moving on.
Speaker 2: Staying at three nothing you both fail at Carlito's Away a Great Movie movie number four. This movie debuted at the south By Southwest Film Festival. Clue number two. This movie has co stars including Tim Highdecker Clue number three. The last scene in the movie features the song Les Fleurs by Minnie Ripperton.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get is this is this? Us?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 10: Okay from the movie Us is Ispita?
Speaker 2: Good job Sam is killing Matt with five to one? You got us on the mini Ripperton. Q. I like that. That's impressive.
Speaker 10: It wasn't that, it was it was putting together the I was. I was thinking because it was get Out that debuted at Sundance, right, but it was yes, So I was thinking of like the festival art for a big movie.
Speaker 4: Okay, hideker, I remembered, Yeah, anyway, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh that's right, all right, we're moving on. We're moving on now. This is actually one of these facts. I did not know about this movie. This movie has original music by Marvin Hamlish, who I quite frankly thought was dead by the time this movie came out, So this might be his last name.
Speaker 4: Here's a clue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a clue. This movie co stars Melanie Lynsky.
Speaker 4: Oh, I like made leon It's kay. Yeah, she good.
Speaker 2: This movie co stars Scott Bakula, also known as Captain Jonathan Archer of the Enterpris.
Speaker 4: I think I got it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, do it the informant? Yes, yes, Stephen Soderberg the informant exclamation point, right.
Speaker 2: That's right. That was my That was my next clue. This movie has has has punctuation in the title.
Speaker 4: Who dat. It's a great movie. It's very good.
Speaker 10: It's Soderbergh's last good movie.
Speaker 3: Ropping bombs.
Speaker 2: I would have to consult the stats.
Speaker 3: Sam just broke Zeus's law.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, all right, Matt, you gotta start catching up.
Speaker 3: This is this is not I am not good at like you know. These two random character actors appeared in a film that premiered eight years ago at a film First, If you tell me the name of the movie, I could tell you who's in it.
Speaker 10: But I remember I remember thinking, like, what is Bacula doing in this movie?
Speaker 3: I would not have remembered that. You have not seen it since it came out.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 10: But it makes sense that Sodaberg would go to Hamlets. She'd want like this paranoid thriller's seventies kind of.
Speaker 2: It's a good movie. Exclamation mark. I like it a lot. We're moving on next. This movie debut at the New York Film Festival PLU too. This movie has cinematography by the great Darius Kanji who number three. One of the many producers slash executive producer of this film is Brad Pitt hmmm, who number four. This movie is based in a book by David gran.
Speaker 3: Oh oh oh, oh oh.
Speaker 2: We're both making the I know it face. I'm watching your face.
Speaker 3: What was thatta movie?
Speaker 2: This movie has co stars including Sianna Miller.
Speaker 3: Oh oh oh uh oh wait there could be more than one, couldn't there.
Speaker 2: This movie has co stars including Robert Pattinson. Ironically enough, yes, oh, what is the name of it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Do it? It's the Lost City of z That's right, that's right, say it.
Speaker 2: British though the Lost City of zed Matt's back Lost City of z Okay from the Lost City of z is in the Odyssey.
Speaker 3: Oh, Tom Holland.
Speaker 2: Is very good. I didn't know that until I started putting this game together. I didn't know Tom Holland at the time. I guess he plays probably the Sun.
Speaker 3: He plays, he plays, But who is?
Speaker 4: Why am I blanking on who?
Speaker 10: Because Pattinson's like the helper, He's like he's a second banana.
Speaker 2: Charlie Hunhum. Charlie Hunhum is the least.
Speaker 10: So I was never going to come up with hun Hum. So Collin plays Hunham's son young or see the young version of Hunhum. Maybe because they're like the dad goes on the Anyway, I read the book, I didn't.
Speaker 4: See the movie. I couldn't believe.
Speaker 2: Oh the movie is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's the Sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the Telemachus. For sure. We're moving on and it's it's five seven to three.
Speaker 3: It's not I mean, I'm not gonna win, but at least at least I made it a little more interesting.
Speaker 2: Next. This movie was written and directed by Woody Allen, which there's a lot of people in the Odyssey who are in a Woody Allen movie, so that doesn't nail it down too much. Woody Allen's character in the film is named C. W. Briggs.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know which, but okay, well which I think I know what movie that was?
Speaker 2: But this movie was set in the nineteen forties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know the movie. It's the Curse of the Jade Scorpion, right, correct? But which from this movie? But from the Odyssey was in it? Who was was Charlie's in that movie?
Speaker 4: She was?
Speaker 2: Is that your final answer?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you're nodding, so I guess it is Charlie's.
Speaker 2: Now, Charlee's was into Woody Allen movies. She was in Celebrity and she was in The Curse the Jade Scorpion. I believe that The Curse of the Jade Scorpion is probably Woody Allen's worst film. It's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Not very unwatchable.
Speaker 2: Well, there's some funny that I did watch on YouTube. There is a pretty funny scene between he and Charlie's. She's playing sexy Veronica Lake. She's in high heels powering over him and he's like, excuse me, maybe we could you know he's doing that shtick. It's it's pretty, it's pretty. Not so's it's bad. It's pretty bad. But anyway, Charlie's is in it. Matt, suddenly you're it's seven to five.
Speaker 3: At least it's a game.
Speaker 4: Questions are.
Speaker 2: More? Next up? Next up? This movie is in black and White. M This movie is based on a true story. This movie was released by the Weinstein Company. Okay, Max, the Weinstein Company. This movie is based on the story of a rock musician.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, not what I was thinking of?
Speaker 2: Black and white?
Speaker 3: Black and white?
Speaker 4: This one sounds gonna get I'm just trying to come up with the name of it. I think I got it it control.
Speaker 2: Control, Lost Control? Who is?
Speaker 3: But I don't know who was in that?
Speaker 4: Me neither?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Who didn't we touch yet? In that?
Speaker 3: Haven't we mentioned in Control?
Speaker 2: She's lost control? Three two one?
Speaker 4: Idea mat incorrect?
Speaker 2: Matt, try to steal it.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think who we haven't mentioned? That seems the most likely. Mia Goth was a good guest. What about Logan Marshall Green? Was he in Control?
Speaker 2: Incorrect? The answer is Samantha Morton. She actually played the main character. The main character is he in Curtis, But it's all from her point of view of the movies, based on her on her memoir of her dead husband. So, uh yeah, Samantha Morton.
Speaker 4: So can I tell you Logan Marshall Green, my roommate during a college program I did at the National Theater Institute at the Eugene Oial.
Speaker 3: Theater, constantly confuse him with Tom Holland.
Speaker 10: When you were his roommate, I could tell you that the fact that he became a movie actor, a very a handsome movie actor, did not surprise me.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: The chrismo was there from the beginning.
Speaker 2: He had it, uh Samantha Morton. Of course, also in woodyowm movie, she was in Sweet and Lowdown terrific in that. Okay, Next up, We've got two more. It's still a game. It's still a game here. Next up Clue number one. This movie is set in Germany. Clue number two. This movie has original music by Tom York, not Radiohead, but Tom York. Number three. This movie is a remake. Not yet Okay. This movie has co stars that include Chloe Grace Moretz. Not yet this movie has co stars that include Dakota Johnson. Remake Germany Tom York one more. This movie has co stars that include till the Swinton. Oh, the big blank, the big blank on this remake Germany?
Speaker 4: Is this Suspiria?
Speaker 2: Is that Your answer is Suspiria? Is your answer? Still? You are correct? This is the Suspiria? Very good? Who in Suspiria is in the Odyssey? I?
Speaker 4: Who haven't we mentioned.
Speaker 2: There is Suspiria set? I think logically here what? Yeah, they're all at a what type of place?
Speaker 4: Like a like the dance studio thing? But yeah, a lot of with the witch, the witches and the dancing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the dancing, the young girl and who would have been very young when this came out, Chloe Grace Moretz, isn't it Matt You got to steal it? In three two one? Give me a name? The answer is me a goth.
Speaker 4: You said her last God be a go I'd crossed her off my list.
Speaker 2: Of course I didn't know she was in either. She had yet to really make it. She's one of the girls in the dance academy. All right, last one, last one, and this.
Speaker 3: Is tough, but this is the last question.
Speaker 2: This is the last one.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: I cannot wink, but you can for Pride You Might number one. This movie debut at the Venice Film Festival. Number two. The director of this movie is Hungarian number three. The co stars include Sarah Snook number four. This movie includes a twenty four minute uninterrupted take next clue. That take is twenty four minutes and very difficult to watch as it involves a great deal of pained howling. The lead actress of this film was nominated for an Academy Award for the role in this film. Huh That lead actress's name is Vanessa Kirby. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, don't you remember she made him?
Speaker 4: I remember this movie.
Speaker 10: I just I don't think I'm I don't think I'm going to come up with the title. I do know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I still blanking on what.
Speaker 2: This movie also co stars Shia Labouf.
Speaker 3: I've never that that trend. That wouldn't help me at all.
Speaker 2: I'm out of clues now. So the movie is called Pieces of a Woman. Okay, remember, and she has she has a miscarriage.
Speaker 4: I remember, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And so she's in the movie. So that was the movie she got nominee for an Oscar.
Speaker 10: I thought that and somebody else that was in The Odyssey is also can.
Speaker 2: You I'm gonna let you try to steal the first person who can throw out a name at me, someone who's not Shia Laboof or Vanessakrby.
Speaker 3: Haven't we mentioned all right, you got three. There's no way. Anne Hathaway is not in it.
Speaker 2: No, it's not in Hathaway. Sam, you could steal it.
Speaker 4: Bill Irwin showed up.
Speaker 2: Benny safty I did not know that he was in it, but he is. And the movie I did watch, and it's upsetting.
Speaker 3: And I never saw this movie. You would.
Speaker 2: It's She's She deserved her Academy Award nomination for playing a difficult role. But the movie is not that great in total. And Benny Saftie's in it, and of course he plays King Agamemnon, the Darth Vader of Accrease in the Odyssey. The winner of the game is Sam by a wide origin.
Speaker 3: Well done, Sam, nine to five.
Speaker 4: You'd beat eleven when the synapses are firing.
Speaker 3: This was not my area of expertise.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, next time we'll do it differently. So there you go. Sam's the winner. And now it's time on the show to wrap things up by mentioning what's coming new to streaming? Hey, Matt, you want to tell the listeners what's coming new?
Speaker 3: For some theatrical releases that are now available to rent or buy, we have the new Demon Slayer movie, the anime film which made one hundred and thirty six million dollars globally in theaters. It's available on vod and on crunchy roll. And then we also have Leviticus. Did you see this one? Jordan? And I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I saw the trailer and I know what it is, but I didn't see it.
Speaker 3: Two teenage boys must escape a violent entity that takes the form of the person they desire most each other. Haven't seen it, haven't heard a lot about it.
Speaker 2: It came out like right in between Obsession and back Rooms, and it did not achieve the financial success of either of those two films, obviously, but I do know that it exists.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, all of these those titles are available the day this show is live, which is Tuesday, July twenty eighth. Also available. These are theatrical releases that are now on streaming, and I have seen most of these. First up, the big budget live action reboot of Masters of the Universe, which is going to be on thank You, which is going to be on Prime Video. I didn't think this was It was a stinker. I didn't think that was very good made. The movie almost made. Honestly, this movie that made me a little angry. I felt slightly insulted by this movie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be I didn't go. I wanted to go. I didn't make it. And the next thing you know, it had already been out two or three weeks, and everybody said, don't bother. I think even you said don't bother watch it.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you asked me, I would have said don't bother because I didn't like it. Some people liked it. I was a little baffled by that. But yes, you can watch it on Prime Video. If you already have Prime you it won't cost you anything except your time. Also on streaming, a theatrical release of the spring Mortal Kombat two streaming on HBO Max. Did you see Mortal Kombat too.
Speaker 2: Jordan, I don't think I did. No, I don't like this.
Speaker 3: I didn't like this.
Speaker 2: I saw a recent what's the other Mortal? I saw the Mortal Kombat right before this one, which was a Netflix debut. I think it was.
Speaker 3: It was on HBO Max also, was that what it was?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Well, yes, not my thing, Okay, I didn't see it. Yeah, I would pass on that one as well. But here's one that I did enjoy, The Devil Wears Prada too. She's gonna be streaming on Hulu. This is I thought about as good as any sequel to this movie could have possibly been. I it greatly exceeded my expectations. It was funny, it was about something, it was about the media, it was about the internet. It's about the death of the media, and also a romantic comedy and also lots of great costumes and fashion, and also Meryl Streep is really great in it. I liked it. Did you see the Devil Wears product too? No?
Speaker 2: I saw the first one though, all right, let's move on then.
Speaker 3: And finally, Jody Foster in a French language film, This one I have not seen. Oh a Private Life.
Speaker 2: Great movie, great, great, yeah, very good, very really well. This was how We're Downbrated to very good, it's damn good. And this one to damn good but not great. Written and directed by Rebecca Zlatowski who makes nothing but bangers. She makes these movies that not a lot of people see, and they're all really really good. And this one's coming directly to Netflix. And one of her earlier films, which is called an Easy Girl on Field Facille off Fansel, is also on Netflix. She made a movie called Other People's Children, which is phenomenal. She made a really good movie called Planetarium with one Natalie Portman, and another really good movie called Grand Central. I was maybe like fifteen years ago, or so I am a Stan, I Am a Rebecca is Latowski Stan, and I a Private Life House.
Speaker 3: It's going to be streaming on Netflix. All those titles are gonna be available on Friday the twenty ninth. And in terms of things going to direct to streaming, we don't got nothing. We got nothing. There's nothing really of note to discuss.
Speaker 2: It's a short, it's a it's a mellow week, which is good because next week we're taking the week off right because.
Speaker 3: We're going on summer vacation for one week. And go back and re listen to an old episode you might have missed. Go listen into the origin of Bazooga, find out how it started. Find out how Screaming rex Egg started. If you're a late comer. It's the cream, So go back and check an old episode. We'll be back in two weeks. We're discussing. It's not definite, but we were thinking because in two weeks there is a there is a notable title to discuss on Netflix, Louis Letterier, who I think Jordan may know as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what's the what's the.
Speaker 3: He's got a film called The Last House with Grete Lee and Wagner Mora.
Speaker 2: What are the codes of if we If if this were podcasts being distributed by The New York Times, I would not be allowed to review it because I'm friendly with Louis Lataria.
Speaker 3: There's a conflict of interest.
Speaker 2: To conflict of interest, but I think maybe we can just.
Speaker 3: If you acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody gives. It's not like I have hot dogs with him every week. I just know I went to college them, so we're old pals, all right, and we keep in touch a little bit. And I've seen it already. It's good. I think it's I think it's good, so hopefully you'll like it too. There, I just spoiled my conflict of interest. I just if I hated it. I would we wouldn't be doing it, let's put it that way. But luckily I liked it. So what we're going to talk about it.
Speaker 3: We're thinking about that. That's a possibility. That is streaming on Netflix on August seventh, so we'll see in two weeks if it's that or maybe we'll be doing something else in the meantime. You can send all your feedback, including your requests for personal recommendations, to Feedback at films FINDINGSVU dot com. You can also find us online on social media. We're on Instagram, I'm at Superpulse on Instagram and Letterboxed. Jordan is also on Letterboxed. We're both also on Blue Sky at Matt Singer at Jay Hoffman Jordan. You can also listen to is there a new episode of the star Log podcast next week?
Speaker 2: There's always a new episode of the Starlog podcast. We got some good people lined up for that guest wise, so listen to the star Log Podcast where you can. I should also point out that, of course this episode of SVU is produced by Sam van Halgren. He's doing his best putting in all the sound effects, and I just want to say in all sincerity. Thank you to the listeners. You know, we do get nice emails from people who actually bother to listen to ourselves. Actually I find staggering. I mean, I know you're stuck in traffic, and you know you got nothing else to do, But I am quite pleased that anybody would bother to listen those of you that are walking your dog. You're stuck in traffic, you're trying to do your worship, but doing the dishes, laundry, adoring your work, pretending to be filling out those reports instead of listening to.
Speaker 3: The snoring your children.
Speaker 2: That's right. You're doing the right thing by listening to SVU. Thank you for doing it. The most of the listener feedback is positive, so so far, so good.
Speaker 3: I like when they remind you that you said reducks reducts wrong.
Speaker 2: That's the most emails they got, the most emails about that. I pronounced it redo instead of reducks. And I'll never ever.
Speaker 3: Live it and you'll never live it down. All right, Well, I'm Matt Singer and I'm Jordan Hoffmann. Thanks for listening.