Speaker 1: Hey, this is Matt Miller.
Speaker 2: You listen to me every day, I hope on the Tape podcast with Paul Sweeney. I've got a new podcast though, that I'm running alongside the Tape with my friend Hannah Elliott.
Speaker 1: She's the car reviewer from Bloomberg Pursuits.
Speaker 2: We call it Hot Pursuit, and we tell you everything you need to know or want to know about new cars, about the automotive industry, about car events. I'm gonna drop a little sample from the Hot Pursuit podcast here.
Speaker 1: Take a listen.
Speaker 2: If you like it, go to the Hot Pursuit page and subscribe. You can find it on Apple, on Spotify, or anywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: We have really got a special guest today, Jason Chinuck. He is the North American CEO for Jucati. And it's no secret, Hannah, that I'm a pretty big Ducati fan obsessed.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's fair.
Speaker 2: I think I'm about to get my twentieth Dukati. So and I've known Jason since he worked at Lamborghini. He was the marketing director at Lamborghini. I still remember the first day that I met you at the New Jersey Motorsports Park, when you were teaching me how to drift an event a door.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh, yes, which is definitely an art in itself.
Speaker 1: Which I means so much fun.
Speaker 2: All right, let me set up the topics that we have today, because there's a lot.
Speaker 1: Going on in the world of automotive Hannah.
Speaker 2: As you pointed out, we're waiting for an auction on Monday, and we're expecting a Ferrari a gto to set another world record for Ferraris. Plus, I want to talk about old cars because you have a couple yourself. It's a love affair that has its downsides, dysfunctional.
Speaker 1: Yes, I also want to talk about a Remac.
Speaker 2: You know, Jason's Dukati is a member of the Volkswagen Group and Remac is also very closely connected in that the founder is now running Bugatti. And I don't know the whole structure, but Remac recently had another world record, uh set. They've set so many that we're going to discuss. And I want to talk about the my box that you're driving this week. And then finally, I want to get to all the new Ducatis that Jason and everybody at the motor company is launching, talking about the new Panagalies, the new multi Strata, the new supermano is, which I'm most excited about. So we'll get to everything that Ducatti's putting out. They have one still to reveal in December, and I don't think he's going to tell us what it is, but.
Speaker 4: You can tell us, give you a hint, but I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: Neither confirm nor deny.
Speaker 2: All right, let's kick it off with the world of ferraris, the world of auctions, the world of collector cars. Hannah, I still remember when I was in high school, having seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I became obsessed with the California Spider Cameron's dad had, and he that at the time one of those fetched a world record price at the time, fourteen million dollars.
Speaker 1: What are we looking for?
Speaker 3: Fourteen million probably won't crack the top, It might crack the top fifteen these days on Monday, we're looking at a nineteen sixty two Ferrari two fifty gto that RM Southeby's is saying they hope to get sixty million dollars. For now, I'm hearing from sixty million dollars million six zero. I'm hearing from my sources. Fifty million may be more realistic. But arm Southeby's certainly is billing this car as a sixty million dollar Ferrari. That would be the most expensive Ferrari sold publicly this year, although there has been another Ferrari sold that was closer to fifty million. It was forty eight, so this may not be the most expensive Ferrari sold ever publicly, but certainly for this year, it's kind of a big deal. It's the only this is a nineteen sixty two raising Ferrari. It did raise in the Nurber grading in sixty two and it won its class. But it's the only one of those V twelve racing Ferraris that got a four leader engine straight from the factory. And they basically did that because they found some racing loopholes that particular year. They knew they wanted to race it, and they figured we can put in this four liter engine and qualify for certain different races. And the car did well. It did raise lamon and actually didn't end up finishing. But it's been owned by the same guy for almost four decades, so it sort of checks every single box. And yeah, they're thinking fifty to sixty million. We'll see sales on Monday.
Speaker 2: You know who has a GTO I think is what's the name of the drummer for Pink Floyd. He's got a big car collection, he's got a big collector car fund, and he has a GTO. I know because I saw Mason Nick Mason, right, Yeah, I saw him go on a Spanish talk show to explain why the car is so valuable. One other cool thing that I heard today from a car collector. I was talking to Philip Richter here in New York. He runs Hollowbrook Wealth Management, but also the Turtle Invitational is his car show here in Bedie. He said that Enzo started building V twelves he loved the twelve cylinder engine because he was such a huge fan of the Packard V twelves from the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 1: Wow, I have not heard that. That is wild.
Speaker 2: Apparently, like Packard had at the time, they were the luxury vehicles of the day, and they had like an amazing V twelve and Enzo was obsessed with the Packard V twelve and that's why he kicked off his cars with those.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, obsession does lead you to good places, I have to say. And whatever Enzo was obsessed with really worked out for him because if you look at the car market, Ferraris are the standard. They are the blue chip vehicles. They hold their value. I mean this year is actually was actually a bit of a cooling year for collector cars. The sales in Monterey were down. We're seeing some cooling, but Ferraris in particular are really staying very solid. I can't remember if I told you this before, but eleven of the fifteen top individual sales here publicly were Ferrari's, So it's kind of a sure thing. It's interesting. I was, I know, you love you know, your muscle cars, Matt, and I was talking to Craig Jackson yesterday, you know, from Barrett Jackson, and I was like, under what circumstances would we have a muscle car like a Challenger? You know? In this really really rarefied error because we have had a few over a million yeah, completely, yeah, exactly. We've had some Shelby you know, some Shelby Cobras in a couple million dollar range. So they're not there yet. It's like Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari. It's almost boring.
Speaker 2: What was that like, Jason, you worked at Lamborghini. I think you were head of marketing for in North America. What was it like being always compared to Ferrari?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, inevitably, there's a long shadow that they cast and so and we were and we're part of our story, is part of Ferrari's story.
Speaker 4: It's that challenge. I loved it.
Speaker 5: I actually loved it because you know that there was a certain entity that they hold in a place in the luxury car world. And we made it a point that we're not We don't need to be that. We can be something else. We can be something that more accessible, approachable, a little bit more let's got it loose and fun and a little wild. And I think that that really when you look at the founders of both of those companies, one was a little more rough around the edges and the other one was a little bit more polished, and that itself, I think really led to the type of clients that we attracted. And that's the one thing I loved about that time that I had there, because there's a misperception of the type of client that owns a Lamborghini, and then when you get in to really.
Speaker 4: Learn who these people are, they're amazing. They're self made.
Speaker 5: They're people that are let's say that maybe work their lives to death to the point where they're like, Okay, I'm finally going to go do something nice for myself, and they reward themselves with this dream card that they saw.
Speaker 4: In a seventies movie. It's nice. It's actually it's fun to.
Speaker 5: Have, let's call it, something that challenges you instead of just riding your own path.
Speaker 2: Do you see, Hannah, the old Lamborghini's going for anywhere close to older Ferraris Well.
Speaker 3: Not yet. But I have to say some of the coon Tashes, especially, we wrote about one recently that was just sold. It was in the Wolf of Wall Street.
Speaker 2: The white one. By the way, Doug DeMuro. Doug DeMuro just bought a white Cuontash, which.
Speaker 3: Is kind of insane. Yeah, I think they're holding their value. They're slowly getting up there. They're certainly over a million dollars in value, and I see that continuing. I mean, I don't know what you think, Chazy, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Remember when Matt Farah bought one, and I thought, like, first of all, how is Matt Farrah?
Speaker 1: And by the way, no dig.
Speaker 2: At him because I'm about the same size. How's he going to fit into a coon tash?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Jason, you would have trouble fitting into an old Cuontash as well, right, And I heard they drive horrorbly but Doug says.
Speaker 3: Well, they are tractors. Let's not forget. I mean, they are tractors. This is a classic case. I think of you never sometimes never want to meet your car heroes and buy car heroes. I mean the cars you had on the poster on your bedroom wall. Yeah, sometimes you don't actually want to drive them because they drive like a truck or a tractor. And that's just the truth.
Speaker 4: Keep it, keep it the dream, keep it that. I mean absolutely.
Speaker 5: I can tell you that I spent some time in those cars and they do drive like you said.
Speaker 2: I will tell you something really cool happened to me so famously, Ferruccio Lamborghini got into a fight with Enzo about the clutch in the Ferraris that kept breaking, and then Ferruccio found out that Enzo was using the same clutches that Lamborghini was buying for its tractors, and then he made his own car.
Speaker 1: So a couple of years ago I was.
Speaker 2: In the Motor Valley and Motor No they do this Motor Valley thing where they bring together all the car makers and they have dinners and they have a car show and stuff. And I saw Tamaso Lamborghini standing by an old, like nineteen fifties Ferrari and I walked over to him and I said, yeah, I heard the clutches in these things suck.
Speaker 1: He found it amusing.
Speaker 4: I'd hope you would provoke a smile. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in terms of old cars, I've never been one to buy like I always wanted to have an old collector car, and I've never pulled the trigger because I thought, I'm into muscle cars really, so I might as well buy a new muscle car that has the crash protection. I'm a dad, you know, so I want safety and stuff and the driveability of it. But Hannah, you boring. You have succumb and bought a couple. You have what a C three Corvette? Yeah, an old Rolls Royce, like seventies early seventies Rolls Royce.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've got access to quite a few.
Speaker 2: Isn't it like deadly expensive to get these things fixed? Certainly the Rolls Royce must be prohibitively.
Speaker 3: Well, look, there's that famous saying there's nothing as expensive as a cheap Rolls Royce, by which they mean you can pick up an old silver shadow. I've got a silver shadow. You can old pick up an old silver shadow for under twenty thousand dollars. But you know the costs of fixing the hydraulic brakes, and you know the alternator continually going on the fritz is can be expensive. It can be a dysfunctional relationship. And I had a really good run driving a sort of a combination of a couple different old Rolls Royses in the corvette, and yesterday on the way to work, I did have a failed to proceed in the Rolls Royce, which was really annoying. And I think it was an alternator issue because the car ran fine started fine. I pulled off to get coffee, and when I went back to make the rest of the way to the work, it didn't start dead battery, So I think it's an alternator issue. It was getting like eleven volts when it should be getting like thirteen. But it's annoying. It's annoying, it's painful. I had to wait for someone to jump me and then you'd switch out battery. But all that to say, I think the world would be a better place if everybody drove old cars. It forces you to drive slower, it makes you appreciate mechanical engineering, and it just is it's more beautiful.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had experience with old cars or old bikes?
Speaker 5: Definitely, I mean I went down both of those paths, and then I got to a certain point in my life where I decided I had little time to fiddle and I just want to ride and drive. I'm an old Volkswagen guy, not just not just because of the company, but first car was a seventy one square back. I love that car to death, and I still even romanticize me and I'm on, bring a trailer and all these other things to like wait to see if the perfect one pops up, which is completely insane, like there's no reason I need that car, but if the right one shows up, baby blue seventy one, then I'm there, And so there is a fondness.
Speaker 4: But I do feel as though that like I would have.
Speaker 5: A moment of realizing I probably shouldn't have done it, probably shouldn't have met my hero.
Speaker 4: Same thing with like an old nine fourteen, which was.
Speaker 5: The first car I ever went over one hundred miles an hour in, and so's it's burned into my brain. Wow, you know, you lean over as a seven year old kid and look at the dash and you see the needle buried at one hundred and you're like holding on for beer life in a nine fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yes, that feet's quite that's a feat.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It was rattling, but it was so exhilarating. I mean, and that immediately I knew I was hooked on speed, Like I mean, that was where I.
Speaker 2: Feel like Bring a Trailer has really revived. This is another thing that the collector. I was talking to Philip Richter. He was saying, Bring a Trailer has really done a lot for the collector car market.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable what Randy Knaudenberg, who's the founder of Bring a Trailer has done. They just actually released an app finally, but last year they did like one point three billion dollars in sales. It's unbelievable. And they forced every other major auction house to start selling online and to start having these online auctions that they never did before because people kind of realized, oh, I don't have to drive a car to buy it. And I think Bring a Trailer is done a really good job of being very transparent. You know what you're getting. It's so fun to read the comments, even if you're not bidding. It's so addicting. I admit I'm on it under a different name just because I want to read the comments and you know, follow along on my jer I do, I do it.
Speaker 1: It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: It's so fun. Yeah, they it's unbelievable what they've done, and they forced all the other auction houses to so.
Speaker 2: I like the the retro releases. Like my favorite Mustang is like a twenty twelve Boss Rio two that obviously I bought the Challenger, which is an homage. One of my favorite motorcycles is the Sport Classic, which, by the way, Jason, that was a motorcycle that didn't really sell for Dukati at the time, and now you can't find one for less than like twenty grand. And I'm talking about not the small Paul Smart, but you can't even find a regular one with like fifteen thousand miles on it for less than twenty gree Everybody wants one of those. Why why don't you guys do something like that again?
Speaker 5: I mean, simply put, we're that that is a bike that was kind of it was an extension of what we did with the MHE nine hundred E. The Mike Hale would inspire replica and then the idea was, wow, this was so good. We saw two thousand of them right away in your two thousand of its first time that we did an online sale of a motorcycle. We're like, oh, let's extend this. And we were too early. We were too early for this trend of the classics. There's been discussion internally a Ducatti about like resurrecting the KI.
Speaker 1: After that, the R nine T.
Speaker 2: After that came the triumphs I.
Speaker 5: Created a It created an entire trend of those motorcycles, and actually really interesting to your point, we actually did really well for the first couple of years of selling them. In then the third and the fourth year of the bike, it just was like, okay, we're a little longer. The tooth one thing happened. We loaned the motorcycle for the launch for the New Tron movie, and as a result, it just created this really cool buzz that all these people who didn't know about the bike, all of a sudden the wind Saw Tron were like, okay, I need it, and that that single handedly drove the prices up.
Speaker 2: I like the first one which had the yellow and the single shock in the back, and then the Tron was the black one with no faring. But then then you had the sport version with the fairing, the red one with it. I love all those, and the Paul Smart those are great. All right, let's move on to another topic. I want to talk about the ultra expensive vehicles, one of which handle you're driving, and one of which, well even on another level of expensive, is the Remac, which made has made so many records.
Speaker 1: Tell us about the weird record that you.
Speaker 2: I mean, you messaged me about this last night and I told my wife I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of wild. So yesterday in Germany, Remac set a Guinness Book of World Records for going in reverse for top speed in reverse. Do you want to guess what the top speed was?
Speaker 1: I thought you were gonna say, like seventy miles an hour.
Speaker 3: One hundred and seventy one miles per hour in reverse, which is kind of it's ridiculous. It sounds so stupid and silly, but it's also kind of cool.
Speaker 1: It sounds very unsafe to me.
Speaker 3: I need to know more about it. I should say. Rimac has plenty of speed records. They have like twenty speed records going forward, so they're obviously very legit. This is like, this is the record, I guess you go for after you've already set the world record for an electric car, which they do have, and you know going forward there I think the world records at two hundred and fifty six miles an hour, which is phenomenal, doesn't beat the Bugatti Sharon, but for an electric vehicle, it's the record. But yeah, this reverse record, it's weird, weird, bit cool. I'd say, I.
Speaker 1: Just don't love electric cars.
Speaker 2: I have to say I've been thinking about it so much recently because I've driven some that have impressed me. The Mercedes, especially the Gle, but most of them, like the kind of speed that you get is amazing, but it doesn't feel that great, right. I haven't driven to Rimac, but I've driven the Cairne and it's awesome.
Speaker 1: It's like earth shattering.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, the Rimac. Honestly, I really liked it when I drove it. I think Rimek as a company is fascinating. Mate Rimac, the founder, is sort of the anti Elon Musk. He is very young, he's Croatian, He's received millions of dollars in funding from Portia and also now he's leading Bugatti. He's a genius, I should say too. This afternoon, I'm going to be driving the Batista Peninfarina, which is another electric vehicle that is powered by Rimac automotive batteries. So Rimac actually has their hands in a lot of some of these supercars. And I actually did like how the Navara drove. I thought it was really nimble, really elegant, obviously extremely fast, and the interior I thought was very well done. You know, we're used to seeing a lot of these electric cars with very shoddy interiors that almost feel like an afterthought, but the Nevara they really pulled it off. I think Rimac is doing a lot of things right. They're a lot more conservative in running their mouths promising things they can't deliver, and that seems to be rare among some of these electric startup companies. I'm not going to name any other names, but you can fill in the blanks. So yeah, I just think it's cool. I think Rimac is you know, they're they're having fun. I saw their team. I talked to Mate in August and Pebble Beach and he is just very humble. He's a family man. He leads a quiet life.
Speaker 2: Well, because I was wondering if if you've got him on any bikes, Jason, have you ever given him Oh.
Speaker 5: Not that I'm aware of, but it could only I can only imagine what that could do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, by the way, electric motorcycle.
Speaker 3: I was just going to ask, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's the million dollar question, isn't it. It's a really interesting thing.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day, people are asking us, when is Ducatti building an electric motorcycle.
Speaker 4: Good news, as we have in Moto GP or MotoE. We actually there's sole.
Speaker 5: Supplier of the motorcycle for that series, and it's one of the things that we know that eventually we're going to have to get there. But the battery technology right now is really really challenging for motorcycles because you don't have the same energy density as you do with an internal combustion engine, and unlike automotive where you have the opportunity to put the weight down on the floor and floorboards, with motorcycling, where are you going to go?
Speaker 4: You're going up. And we did this analysis.
Speaker 5: A couple of years ago where let's call it our middleweight sport bike, the Pentagony V two at the time. In order for us to deliver the same sort of performance and the same sort of range for that motorcycle, it would practically be double in weight. And we're talking double in waight all of a sudden, what's an important characteristic of Dukati.
Speaker 4: It's the hand and you just throw that away if you double the weight.
Speaker 2: I also liked, you know, the acceleration. I love the breaking, I like the design. I love the build quality.
Speaker 3: Is there anything you don't love that?
Speaker 2: Jason Channa, you are the CEO of Ducatti North America. You guys have released a string of bikes, some of which I find absolutely fascinating. So let's just run through the real quick starting with a SUPERMANO, because that's to me, an amazing opportunity.
Speaker 1: You can get now girls.
Speaker 2: And guys out on a Dukatti doing supermoto for real, and like, what's the genesis of this bike? How did you come to do it after not having done a single cylinder or motorcycle for so long?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, it's it's a really interesting thing because you know, we have the history of a Supermano engine, which which is basically a seven forty nine many years ago at one of our motorcycles that we lobbed one of the cylinders.
Speaker 1: I keep calling it Supermano, but you have a different name for it.
Speaker 4: Back then it was the Supermano.
Speaker 5: But we actually the model itself is the it's basically the super Mono, the super quadr Mono.
Speaker 4: And the reason why is because the over square engine.
Speaker 5: What we did is we took half of a Pentagley twelve ninety nine, which was the pinnacle of the V two engines for us, and once again we took a cylinder off.
Speaker 4: We took the horizontal.
Speaker 5: Cylinder off of the motorcycle and kept the vertical and then made sure to balance it out right. And we have a motorcycle that when the engine is mounted into the chassis's three hundred and thirty three pounds and it will be delivering almost seventy five horsepower seventy four point five and with a full race exhaust system that you're only going to use for the track, of course, of course.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jason, I'm curious you said earlier that you know it's inevitable that you guys will do an electric bike. But why? My question is why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 5: Because that's part of it is to do with our requirements as a manufacturer being part of this larger group. But we're not specifically set on electric, just so to be clear, like, our objective here isn't to build an electric motorcycle. That's not the box that we're checking. We're checking the box of how do we reduce our carbon footprint? Simply how do we be a responsible sustainable company in terms of what product we're bringing to market? And electric is one of the boxes. It's one of the areas for us to look. It seems to be the one that's getting the most attention, so we have to pay attention to it.
Speaker 3: Are people asking for it?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, they're not. They're not. They're not.
Speaker 5: And that's that's that's actually a point that seems to be not wanting.
Speaker 4: People don't want to discuss that point.
Speaker 2: But maybe they will after MotoE, you know, because the Desmo Sudici was only in race form until people ask for it for.
Speaker 1: So many for so long that you had to finally put it out well.
Speaker 5: And that's part of our strategy in terms of moto e, is like, if we're going to do this, we're going to do it at the highest level, and we're going to use that as an opportunity to be a real world R and D lab. I mean, that's and that's what we're getting out of it. We're starting to set times that are actually in line with what we used to do in World Superbike and so we're close using the gap. But what better lab to be able to experience that and find a way for it to trickle down to the final consumer. But to your point, kind of like we're also looking at other technologies. For example, simple things that have been done in automotive for years but it's never been applied to motorcycling, like cylinder deactivation like the V.
Speaker 4: Four, the rear bank of cylinders.
Speaker 5: You know, whether you're at low RPMs when you're riding in town or you're at low RPMs when you're out on the open highway and you're just not cracking on the motor, the bank of real cylinders will deactivate, and actually it's definitely good for a heat transfer for fuel reduction. So there's those sorts of things we're looking at. Also alternative fuels, which we know Moto GP is going to be going to one hundred percent alternative fuels in a couple of years, and so that's an area that we're looking at as well. So I think there is that area of us being a big company, let's say big in terms of our world, and trying to find a way to be responsible and actually what we're doing and bringing new product to market, and so this is something that this is why E is deaf.
Speaker 4: One of the solutions there's.
Speaker 2: By the way, the cylinder bank activate deactivation, which happens on most of the Maulti stratas, I think does not happen on the new multi strata on the RS, the V four RS, because that goes back to the Desmo dramaic valves, which I'm so pumped about.
Speaker 1: And I have had three multi stratas.
Speaker 2: Twins, and I was waiting to get the V four until they put a smaller front tire on it, which they did at the Pike's Peak last year. And then I told Jason at one point like, but I want Desmo Drama Valves on it, and he was like, wait till next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so little Birdie, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Great, and I'm pretty excited about that.
Speaker 5: And you know, of course it's not I'm not a sales prevention officer. I'm not going to tell somebody to not buy a motorcycle. But I also know that I will be hearing it for a long time if he went out and got the Pike's Peak. Yeah, and then the RS came a couple months later.
Speaker 2: So tell us about the new Panagali that you put out as an homage to the nine sixteen. And a lot of people will say that the nine sixteen is one of the most beautiful motorcycles ever penned. But I think it didn't even have a hundred horsepower, right, and this one's going to have basically two.
Speaker 5: Well, the original nine sixteen was just bumping right about above a hundred, just barely. Yeah, but this thing is it is perfectly put as an homage to the original nine sixteen for a matter of recognizing its place and history. For Jakati, one of the most iconic motorcycle designs ever. In fact, if you ever typed google the word superbike, usually the nine sixteen is what comes to mind right away. And it was important for us to celebrate that because part of our heritage is actually a really important part of who we are and what we've done, and especially as we look at the current design of the motorcycle that we have today with the Pentagali V four series. I mean, the ability to find that livery and to be able to connect it with that model and then speck it out with all of the best stuff I mean, from the carbon fiber wheels to the dry clutch, but things that are actually a real world I had actually a client texting me last night as I was flying into New York, asking me should I get it? Should I get it?
Speaker 4: Should I like? Do you love it? Yes? Okay, then you get it?
Speaker 5: And that's what it inspires those people that are serious collectors to get it. And actually, right now, I could say, as of today, because I checked with my sales team, we've sold out of a North American production of this motorcycle or allocation gone in one day.
Speaker 2: That's good for you, but depressing for those of us who haven't ordered one yet.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Matt, I'll get you on the list, all right.
Speaker 2: So I'm very excited about all that. There's a new bike coming. There's one more new bike that you guys had to premiere in December, and I don't know what it is, but I remember one time when I met Magnus Walker. I think we were in Geneva or maybe in Frankfort at a Lamborghini unveiling. You had put a bike out that was like unveiled at the same time as a Lamborghini, and they had kind of the same livery and it was so cool, And that partnership makes a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 1: Because it's Italian. Yeah, it's Italian.
Speaker 2: They're both like in Bologna basically, and I just get it. But this next bike you're gonna put out as a collab and what is not with Lamborghini.
Speaker 4: It's not with Lamborghini.
Speaker 5: And it's definitely a departure from what people would maybe normally expect. There's some collaborations where you it's an obvious, right, it's a gimme. This one is a bit of a stretch for us. But it's actually, like I said, I've to you earlier. I've seen the bike in person. It's just beautiful, elegant, the perfect collaboration, and we're going to be hosting it at Art Basel in Miami the first week of December, so that's where we're going to unveil this motorcycle. And I think that there's a great opportunity for us to be able to reach actually a little bit of a different audience with this, and that's the one thing that as a brand, we're always trying to do. How do we stretch but stay true to who we are And part of it.
Speaker 4: Is the design.
Speaker 5: And I can tell you that our design team, Andre Feridasi, along with the other designers from the other company, worked very closely on the details of this motorcycle to bring something to market that I think will be a bit unexpected.
Speaker 3: You mentioned reaching an audience. This is a self serving question because I'm going to get a Scrambler full throttle in a couple weeks to try. I have to imagine that the Scrambler is your best selling bike. Is that true? I mean, Matt has all of his fancy, expensive, extremely powerful bikes, but honestly, I love the Scrambler.
Speaker 1: Agreed, totally agree.
Speaker 3: Is that actually your best selling model is that when people think of Doucati, is that what they actually think about.
Speaker 5: Actually, No, the Scrambler had when it first came out. It was part of this kind of on the tail end of this trend of postmodern heritage influenced motorcycles, and it did very very well for us, and consistently it does well. But it's very interesting to see that since the shift of the pandemic in the motorcycling market, we've really seen a lot of our growth in terms of our volumes and improfit going to our higher end product. And the Scrambler has been great because it allows access and intrigue to Dukati into the entire world of Dukatti, but through let's say, something that's unintimidating and fun. I personally still have my Scrambler desert sled I've had for five years now, and I get on it and I ride it, and I love it. Eight hundred cc air cooled, you know, it's seventy something horse power.
Speaker 4: It's just fun and fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that simplicity of riding is it reminds me what got me into motorcycling in the first place.
Speaker 4: But then of course, I like to.
Speaker 5: Get on a multi strata before rally and crack the throttle triple digits on open roads. So it's great that we have that broad breadth of product that allows people to find their way into Dukati as well. So and the next these current versions of the next gen Scrambler have been spectacular for us because we've been able to add a lot of the technology to the motorcycles, making them i'd say definitely safer, more easily accessibly, more approachable riding modes and all of this stuff, but still have that kind of classic design that's been a little bit more modernized.
Speaker 3: I love that. It's interesting that you say, really, your business is showing growth in the more expensive things, because that's the same exact with automakers. I mean, they are just it's like price isn't really a consideration. If you're over a certain threshold of what the MSRP is, it doesn't really matter to the people who are I mean it does, but that's not going to be the prohibiting factor for the metal.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 5: In fact, this is something that we have engineered by design in North America as well, because we see the opportunity we see that as being a differentiator for us and as a brand. When we do that, we actually are more profitable and we get to make investments back into the client experiences. And at the end of the day, there's a lot of great motorcycles out there, but what do people want? They want stuff to do with their motorcycles, right, Like, Okay, I'm biased, Matt. You're probably a little biased about the greatest motorcycles in the world. But it doesn't mean anything unless you have something to do with it. So we have been really investing on creating experiences for these clients that beyond just you own it and you get a look out of the garage, which is definitely an ownership experience, isn't it. Yeah, that's to open the door and go, oh yeah, But what do you actually do with it?
Speaker 4: And that is what people are looking for. That's what really matters, and that brings substance to the ownership experience.
Speaker 2: Jason has been great having you here with us in the studio. Thanks so much for joining us. Jason Chennik is the CEO of Ducati North America. And we didn't get to the my box because Hannah is driving. I don't know which one but a my bock and I wanted to get her take on it. But Hannah, at some point you're going to write a story about it, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll have the review in a couple of weeks. It's the Mercedes my Box GLS six hundred. It's their big, big expensive suv and it's it is kind of fabulous, So look forward to that in a couple of weeks. You can read all of my coverage on Bloomberg at Bloomberg Pursuits and follow me on Instagram at Hannah Elliott XL.
Speaker 2: You can follow me on Instagram as well at Matt Miller nineteen seventy three. And you can watch me on Bloomberg Television every day one pm. You can listen to me on Bloomberg Radio every day from ten to one. We're also on YouTube. And one other cool thing is that the Bloomberg Business App is now available on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which is super cool because you have it in your dashboard and you can click on any of the podcasts or any of the live programs as well. Thanks very much for listening. We'll be back next week, same time, same place. I'm Matt Miller.
Speaker 3: I'm Hannah Elliott and this is Bloomberg.