Speaker 1: Fans in the UK. Robert Lamb here with a really important message. If you're a listener in the UK, you will stop receiving new episodes in this feed after July thirty first, twenty twenty three, but don't worry. You can still listen to the show. All you have to do is switch over to the brand new Stuff to Blow your Mind UK podcast feed and subscribe. There so no cause for alarm. It's just to click away. The feed is called Stuff to Blow your Mind UK and it's already live so you can subscribe right away. And as a little incentive for making the switch, we're including a UK exclusive Monster Fact episode for you, and this episode will be add free, so please don't wait you might forget. Head on over to Apple Podcasts or Spotify and search for Stuff to Blow your Mind UK and subscribe today and be sure to remind any friends who listen in the UK to do the same so you don't miss a single episode. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. My name is Rob.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick. And hey folks, if I sound any different today, I am recording in an unusual place, so apologies if my audio is not where it always is, but I should be. I should be back to normal soon. But today on Weird House Cinema, we are going to be talking about the two thousand and four science fiction epic The Chronicles of Riddick. Now, Rob, unless I'm mistaken, your pick this week is our most recent film to date, is that correct?
Speaker 1: That's correct. For the longest we'd only done twentieth century films, and then we pushed into the twenty first century with two thousand and one's Jason X. That was our first venture into modern times, if you will. And so yeah, this one takes us just a little bit further into the future. This takes us all the way up to two thousand and four. So still, this is a movie that is almost twenty years old, which is kind of harrowing for me to think about that.
Speaker 3: This movie really makes me think about the year two thousand and four. I'm thinking about when I was selling tickets at an Imax movie theater and people were trying to buy tickets to this movie which was not showing in Imax.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw this in the theater. I remember going by myself to see it. So yeah, this is a very in many ways, a very two thousand and four film. It would be interesting to discuss this as we roll into it. You know, there are things that really sort of shriek from that time period, and there are the things I think stand alone pretty well.
Speaker 3: But it is.
Speaker 1: It's quite a picture. It fascinates me and has always resonated with me for a number of reasons. I mean, on one hand, yeah, it's basically Flash Gordon. It's Flash Gordon with Vin Diesel in it. That's that's my elevator pitch for the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I can see that the hodgepodge of sci fi fantasy texture is all kind of thrown together with a with a one liner equipping hero.
Speaker 1: Right now, I think that the hero in Flash Gordon is is kind of invisible to times and is maybe the least interesting character in the film. It's a lot more complex when you're dealing with Vin Diesel's riddick here, so it'll be it'll be a lot to talk about. But yeah, I love this this film though, bit for a variety of reasons. I mean, for starters, it's a sequel that completely expands in the world of the original film, and in doing so, it just absolutely goes big as opposed to just doing what would be I guess the easy thing, you know, get just do a second scoop of the same flavor, which is generally more of the pattern with a sequel.
Speaker 3: So the first film in this series that created these characters in this world was the movie Pitch Black. That's where Vin Diesel first played Riddick, whose first name is Richard. I didn't know that, Yeah, Richard b Riddick.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I think of him as Riddick b Riddick, which amuses me for some reason.
Speaker 3: But that's sort of a it's almost a bottle episode of a movie. I mean, bottle episode's not the right to because I think that means it's, you know, you're trying to shoot it mostly in one room or something. I mean is it does have a lot of sweeping visions to show you of you know, multiple sons eclipsing at the same time and all these creatures and stuff, but it's stuck on one planet. You don't get a big sense of the broader world. They're just sort of like hints of the universe. It has created Ridick really expands on that. Going from Pitch Black to Chronicles of Ritick is kind of like going from Friday the Thirteenth to Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's it's full blown gothic space opera at this point. And yeah, it's I think it's pretty ambitious. The in the filmmaker's own words, they were pitching it is like this is going to be Lord of the Rings esque, Like Lord of the Rings, you know, is still like it's its impact is still resonating. At this time period, studio heads are all sort of salivating of the thought, oh, what'll be the next Lord of the Rings. And you know, it makes sense to pitch your project that way, like, oh, you want the next Lord of the Rings. Well, as it happens, we have it here. In fact, the story goes that that Vin diesel And and the director David Towey brought in three scripts, all of them. Each script has a lock on it, and they give this to the you know, the studio heads and like here you go, here's your next Lord of the Rings. And they give them one key. The key only opens the first script, the first lock, which you know, that's that's pretty audacious.
Speaker 3: Oh, you mean for it would be like for this and then the next two movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Like they allegedly wrote an entire trilogy that springboards off the success and the sort of glimpses of a possible wider universe in Pitch Black, and then this would be a big saga that takes place in this universe. And you know, the studios bought into it. They got a budget of I think I've seen estimates between one hundred and five and one hundred and twenty million. Universal Studios was banking on the success of two thousand and one's The Fast and the Furious and yeah, so they were like, okay, Vin Diesel, you got it. Pitch Black was a success. Fast and the Furious is a success. We want the next Lord of the Rings. We're in for Chronicles of Ritic. Let's make it. And if it's a success, yeah, then we'll unlock those other scripts.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I want to add as a quick note, by the way, that they even used the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings font for the title when this movie opens.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't know if.
Speaker 3: You caught that. I mean, not exactly, it's pretty close. But the other thing is I don't want to be smirched this film franchise, because I know that you love it, But I think it's kind of ironic that they were levering off of The Fast and the Furious franchise to turn this into Lord of the Rings, because ultimately, I think the Fast and the Furious franchise became more like The Lord of the Rings Sokka than the ridic franchise.
Speaker 1: Did, except by this point perhaps longer in total runtime, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, longer than The Lord of the Rings and with more magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah. To be clear, I really enjoyed this film a lot. I love this film, but I also one of the things I love about it as well is that it is so ridiculously over the top and self indulgent. This is a movie in which multiple people will yell riddic and our hero will outrun the sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's plenty to enjoy here on multiple levels, no matter what your cinematic diet happens to be.
Speaker 3: How many screen of Riddick where there were at least two by the same character Billy Bedlam from con Air he yells Riddick twice? I think maybe does the Lord Marshall ever Riddick.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he yells riddick, he definitely there's a lot. I would I want to see a super cut of just people saying riddick in this movie, saying it, yelling at, whispering at whatever. There's a it is a word that must be said a lot.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this needs to be observed because he is the star of multiple successful film franchises at this point. But another thing is that Vin Diesel just has such a fun screen presence. I just you know, there are a lot of Vin Diesel movies that are not exactly in my genre wheelhouse. I mean, I'm not really into car racing in the real world, but I do love the Fast and the Furious movies. A lot of it is just is just like Vin Diesel's line delivery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's It's weird to try and just sort of sum up exactly what the Vin Diesel presence is in a movie like this, because I mean, clearly he's he's right here in the forefront. He's a driving force. And we'll get into too more of that as well, like behind the scenes as well as on the screen. And you know, me as a viewer and as a someone who appreciates this film, there's plenty of times where it's just too much. It's just too much Vin Diesel for me. You know, there are some real cornball lines that Ritti says.
Speaker 3: That's when he's at his best. That's but but.
Speaker 1: That's but that's the thing. Yeah, I mean it's like that. I wouldn't take those moments out, like, no, we need we need more of those in here. Like he's Vin Diesel, you know, absolutely is Vin Diesel in any film he's in, and it's it's a sight to behold. I don't know what else to say, Like you can't like you, There's there's no questioning you know, his choices. You can't say, oh, I think Vin Diesel would should have done this differently, Like no, no, Vin Diesel is going to do what Vin Diesel is going to do and you just have to hop in the car and hold on.
Speaker 3: Yes, I kept expecting Vin dieselisms from other franchises to be imported into this one. I was thinking when I was watching it, like what wins the part where he says it's about family?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and yeah there is kind of a family in this but yeah, they don't they don't really say family per se.
Speaker 3: And I think they all die.
Speaker 1: Now speaking of the whole family thing. And I'm not superversed in the in the world of the Fests and the Furious, but you know, there is that sense of like, Okay, Vin Diesel's at the center of this thing. He's going to build up this cast of people he likes to.
Speaker 3: Work with, getting the team together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting the team together, and also sometimes makes some choices that might seem like a little outside of what you'd expect from an action franchise, but like, clearly it's important to Vin Diesel as a person and an actor, and so you see a lot of that in the cast for this film as well. Like this, this film has a splendid supporting cast. On top of that, it has one full costumes and sets. The CGI at times is certainly a bit dated by today's standards, especially when it's recreating anything other than like a space ship.
Speaker 3: There are some egregious CGI fire in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fire and space dogs can be a bit much at times, but yeah, yeah, you know, for the most part, I think the space stuff holds up pretty well, or at least I'm more forgiving of that sort of thing. And yeah, this is just a straight up space opera, no matter how badly I want to see. Like, the Wikipedia page for this film describes it as a quote sci fi action horror film, But no, it's not a horror film. This this bit is a maybe it's a grim dark e space opera, but it's space opera.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody just coming to this fresh would call it horror. I think that must be a carryover from Pitch Black, which is a horror movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's more of a creature feature, characters marooned on a dangerous dealing with a specific threat, and also like interpersonal threats.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, like I said, this is a big swing, and you know the thing about big swings is sometimes you miss, And that was the story with the Chronicles of Ritick. It did not resonate enough with audiences or critics at the time, not on its theatrical debut anyway, it seems to have not made its money back. Though I'm never sure exactly how to really approach the Hollywood math on these sorts of things. I think it's one of those one of those situations where, especially as the years go by, you can make different arguments and be like, well, you know, wasn't the success of the box office, but it did really well on DVD or nowadays it's like, look how high it is, you know, in the streaming charts, et cetera. And so, yeah, Vin Diesel would continue to prove himself a box office straw. DVD sales seem to have been strong enough that after he got the rights to the Riddick character personally back in exchange for a cameo in the fest and the Furious Tokyo Drift, Yeah, apparently that's the story, he was like, no, I love this character. I want to do more with this character. I want to I'm going to make it happen. And so sure enough, in twenty thirteen, they ended up putting out Riddick, a sort of stripped down, less expensive Riddick Adventure, a mere thirty eight million dollar budget, I think. And it also kind of like returns to the well of shipwrecked survivalism, but not in a way that disregards the chronicles of Riddick either, So it like ties in some of those plot elements as well. And according to Diesel, he had to leverage his home and put in a lot of his own personal money to make that movie happen. So, you know, whatever you think of Riddick or whatever you think of Vin Diesel, you know you gotta admire that dedication to the dream.
Speaker 3: It is kind of all inspiring how much Vin Diesel seems to love playing Riddick b Riddick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you know, they're often you see like that sort of a meme going around like like, oh, well, nobody asked for a second Avatar film, why are we getting another Avatar film? Well, I mean, clearly the Avatar made a bazillion dollars and so you can like mathematically there seems to be a demand for a sequel, Like this is a case where, yeah, it seems there was a strong case to say like Chronicles of Riddick was enough, But you know, I think a lot of people did want to see more of the character, and Vin Diesel wanted to play the character again, and so it came together. It happened that one, I think was a success, and a fourth Riddick movie, Riddick Furia, is in production right now. I don't think they're filming yet, but it's like it seems like it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: So you said that I haven't seen the third movie, so it's a return to the you said, shipwrecked survivalism, which is kind of the plot of Pitch Black the first movie. But is he a like marooned on an alien planet as the emperor of the Necromonger Empire.
Speaker 1: They there's a sort of a return to form, like, obviously, if they're not going to go continue to go epic space opera, they've got to get him out of that position, and they do early on, but they do so in a way that that doesn't feel too abrupt. And yeah, I've only seen it once, but basically the plot concerns various mercenary groups at odds with each other, Riddick as the guy thereafter, and also weird creatures. Okay, Doki, Yeah, but again I've only seen it once. This is the one. This is the one I love though, This is the Chronicles Oferritic is the one for me. All right, Well, I already did mine? Do you have an elevator pitch for this one? Already did mine?
Speaker 3: Let's see, what's the only way to stop a a what would you even call the Necromongers a A an undead empire cult that is going to convert or destroy the entire galaxy. The only way to stop it is the world's coolest criminal.
Speaker 1: All right, let's listen to some trailer audio.
Speaker 4: They are a plague that now sweeps through the worlds of man, leaving behind a trail of dead planets and towering icons monuments to their unholy crusade. All those poets on all those worlds who spoke of war such an unsightly thing.
Speaker 3: They never stood.
Speaker 2: Here never fails to inspire, does it?
Speaker 4: Each time a world falls The necromongers a dark army that will convert or kill every last human life unless they can be stopped. But sometimes the only way to stop evil is not with good. You must confront it with another kind of evil.
Speaker 3: O thee Ready?
Speaker 1: Where does he come from? Who are his people? These are the things I need to know.
Speaker 3: You remember your home world? Have your rest of the others, others like yourself. It's not my fight.
Speaker 4: Consider it a test.
Speaker 1: Got bird now or fall forever?
Speaker 4: Are you gonna stop the monsters? Now?
Speaker 3: I am the monster?
Speaker 1: Get ridiculous.
Speaker 4: He's beginning to understand.
Speaker 3: Are you with me?
Speaker 1: Who is this man? He sees everything? You're not?
Speaker 3: Then word to bring me down? You're not afraid of the dark, are you.
Speaker 1: M M all right, Well, if you want to jump into the Chronicles of Ritick, if you want to jump into just the entire Riddick franchise, well, all those films are widely available in digital and physical formats. I think there are some three packs popping around if you want your your physical media. Now, you'll find two cuts of this film. There's the PG thirteen theatrical release, and then there's an R rated director's cut that is a bit longer includes some additional plot elements. I've seen that. I've seen the director's cut before, but this time around, I just watched the theatrical cut, and honestly I was happy with that.
Speaker 3: So that's PG thirteen and they fit their one permitted F bomb in the first five minutes of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was. I wasn't. I always forget about the rules with the F So I was like, did I get the wrong one? Am I watching? Which cut? Am I watching? And then eventually became clear I was watching theatrical.
Speaker 3: You can only say it once, and they put it right at the top. That's interesting. They you know, bet big in the first time on the first round I.
Speaker 1: Never understand the logic there. It's like a child can't repeat this word if they only heard it once, right, I have to hear it twice. They have to confirm what they heard, and then it becomes part of their vocabulary. Which, yeah, I don't know. I was thinking about letting my son watch this film. I was like, PT. Thirteen, maybe he'd maybe he'd enjoy it. I don't think he would have. But but then I was also thinking, yeah, the language. He doesn't need to watch anything with any strong that strong language in it. And if he wants, if I'm going to show him a film that has the F word in it, it needs to be Blade, because I want I want Blade to teach my son how to say it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Blade makes much better use of its language budget, which is a much higher budget because that was R rated. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And ultimately, who do you want your children learning their curse words from Wesley Snipes or just some random kid at school who doesn't have a lot of practice. You want somebody who knows what they're doing.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's get into the people of note here, the connections starting at the top. David Towey is the director and writer. Born nineteen fifty five. He's come up a time or two on the show before American writer and director. His writing credits go all the way back to nineteen eighty eights Critters Too, followed by nineteen eighty nine's Warlock, which of course starred the late Julian Sands along with Richard D. Grant and Mary Warrenoff. Then he both wrote and directed a film. This is one of those occasionally I was like, oh wow, I didn't know till right now this film existed, nineteen ninety one's Grand Tour Disaster in Time aka Timesgate, starring Jeff Daniels. I think this is based on an old short story about time traveling disaster tourists. M yeah, so that sounds pretty weird. Subsequent straps includes.
Speaker 3: That kind of a sound of thunder, isn't it Yeah?
Speaker 1: But instead of like, I guess maybe they were doing that too, but this is like, let's go back in time and watch the Hindenburg crash that sort.
Speaker 3: Of thing, Oh okay, rather and then I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, who are these weird, weirdly dressed people watching the Hindenburg crash? And then it's like, Oh, it's it's time disaster tourists.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 1: So subsequent scripts after this included ninety three's Warlock The Armageddon that's the sequel to Warlock with Gilian Sands once more. Ninety three is The Fugitive, you know, big, big, big film there Harrison for Tommy Lee Jones. He directed that, Noroe wrote it. He wrote, wrote it. Oh okay Or was a screenwriter on that film. Ill who else might have been involved in it? So other scripts were ninety four's Terminal Velocity, ninety five's water World, and then nineteen ninety six is The Arrival. That one he also directed. Then came ninety seven's g I Jane, And in two thousand he wrote and well he was he was one of the writers on it. But he directed Pitch Black. He has a writing credit on that, alongside Jim and Ken Wheat, who also wrote The Return, The Battle for Indoor and The Fly two. And they retain character creation credits on these Rittick films.
Speaker 3: You know, one thing I do appreciate going back and watching these Rittick movies is that it was an attempt to create a whole new, original epic genre universe. Instead of like adapting an existing book or comic series, or just making sequels or remakes to older films. That's something I like to see, you know, just making up new stuff. People who fund movies today, please please put more money into that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, I think there are some interesting choices made in the world creation here, which we'll get into now. Tooey's subsequent writing work has included two thousand and ones Imposter two thousand and twos below which he directed that as well, I think as a Haunted submarine movie. His most recent writing and direct in credit was the Third Riddic Film in twenty thirteen. He's still active. He has two directorial projects in development. One is the next Riddick movie and another is a film titled Running with Lions that I don't know anything about, you know.
Speaker 3: Another thing, speaking of the Riddic universe is I don't know if you read the same thing. I have never played it, but there is a Riddic video game from the early two thousands. I think that is very highly regarded, like it's considered a fantastic game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I never played the I think there were two of them, and then they were like re released again together. I never played them. I think they came out at a time when I was not doing a lot of video games and I didn't have like the technology to do them right or something. But yeah, I remember they were highly regarded and in Vin Diesel's company at the time. I think it's still around. He has a video game company. They were the ones who put it together, so he was heavily involved in it. So hey, yeah, now it's the time to talk about Vin Dee, to tell who the audience who this guy is. Right, I'm not sure if we can answer that question. I think you should go to his Instagram account and just spend some time there. Take it all in.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, on the Graham what's he doing on there?
Speaker 1: It's just a pure expression of his hopes, dreams in mind. You know, I can't say anything about Vin Diesel that his his his limitless Instagram account cannot tell you. So yeah, I mean he's a huge star. What can you say?
Speaker 3: I guess like workout clips and then clips of his kids doing something cute, and then him like cracking a Corona light.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of that sort of thing. Yeah, But then also occasionally things related to his his key franchises, you know, some of his favorite characters and all interacting with the fans, being inspirational and so forth. I don't know a lot about Vin Diesel. I think there's a lot about him that's maybe more more private. You know, he's not maybe not one of these celebrities that you know everything about. But he seems like a nice, weird guy. You know, he's a weird celebrity, and you see that weirdness in something like this like this is you know, I think Chronicles of Ritic is a is a product of in part of, you know, of his interests, in his desire to see some sort of like a fantasy epic come to life.
Speaker 3: Wait, let me imagine the perfect Vin Diesel post Vin Diesel rolling up a new character and it is a chaotic, neutral cleric.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've always heard that he's a longtime D and D fan and has like a particular character that like he always uses and so forth.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, is it Riddic? That would be great.
Speaker 1: I've heard it has a name. I think it's like some sort of like a dark elf type thing. So it's not too it's exactly the sort of D and D character you'd expect him to have but it's not I think one to one with anything he's played all right. So Vin Diesel was born in nineteen sixty seven's He plays Riddck in this. He's also one of the producers. He's mostly known for what eleven in counting Fast and the Furious films.
Speaker 3: I don't know which ones you count it. So he was in the third one, but he's in it for like thirty seconds. I can't believe they gave him the rights to Ridick? Is that right? You said they gave him the right?
Speaker 1: That is what I've read. I don't know the full story on that, but I you know, I think that was also a time where they didn't really want to do any more Riddick. They're like, with this bomb, so you can you can have it. Sure, we would rather just have your cameo in this film.
Speaker 3: But The Fast and the Furious, though it barely has him. I really like the third movie. It is quite amusing. That's the one in Japan with the drift King. But he comes back, and in my opinion, the Fast and the Furious franchise gets a lot better as it goes on because it gets crazier and crazier with like it's I think starting around the six the movie or so is when like the cars are flying and stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, so that's the big franchise. But he also has the Triple X franchise, which I think that one's only like three movies, and he's not even in the second one. It was like he's in the first one, they got someone else in the second one, then they brought him back for the third one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't really remember those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never saw them. Then of course we have the Riddic franchise. Then we have the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and related Marvel films because of course he is groot.
Speaker 3: I did see the first one of those, but I don't remember much about that either. I am, compared to most people listening, probably extremely underinformed on the Marvel movies in general.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's interesting because we were talking about space opera earlier, and of course Guardians of the Galaxy really pushes the Marvel universe into that space opera world. So I've enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movies I've seen. I haven't watched the latest one yet. So Vin Diesel started out as an uncredited extra in nineteen nineties Awakenings, and then he went on to direct and produce both the nineteen ninety five short film Multi Facial and the feature Strays in nineteen ninety seven. He starred in both of those, and then came a string of early hits nineteen ninety eight, Saving Private Ryan. He is in that. He is the title voice in nineteen ninety nine's The Iron Giant, which, of course is is a really good animated feature about a boy and his giant robot. Two thousands, Pitch Black, and two thousand and ones to the Fast and the Furious, and yeah, the Fast and the Furious series, of course has continued, and he's mostly He's done a lot of other, mostly action films as well. I think there's some. There may be one bad comedy or two in the mix as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm vaguely imagining like a movie poster with Vin Diesel with his muscles out and he's wearing like a two to two or something or yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that the pacifier or is that another movie? I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I don't Oh yeah, there's one where they he stars across a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I included a picture that I grabbed from Vin Diesel's instagram for you, Joe. I think it sums up a lot of what you'll see, the kind of inspirational imagery you'll find there. We see three images of Vin Diesel on here and one I don't know. This is him with like full sleeve tattoos. I don't know if these are his real tattoos or not, but he is opposed like the thinker right deep contemplation. Next to him, we also see Riddick from this franchise, and in the background there's like a Vin Diesel with a cross around his neck. I assume this is his character from Fast and the Furious.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think he Dominic from The Fast and the Furious, whereas across necklace and talks about family. Yeah. Wow. So it's all It's like the real hymn. And then the two other sides of him, which are the characters he plays.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he is all of them at once. You know, in the same way that a person may be both child and parent Riddick, Vin Diesel is Riddic and also the Fast and the Furious guy.
Speaker 3: Yes. In theological terms, I would be called a modalist in my of Vin Diesel.
Speaker 1: All right, well more on Vin Diesel as we continue our discussion here, but we'll go through the rest of the cast here. We have the character Kira in this Kira was Jack in the first film. In the first film, Jack was played by Rihanna Griffith, and in this film, Jack Slash Kira is played by Alexa Davelos born nineteen eighty two, perhaps best known among some for portraying Gwynn Rayden on the fourth season of the TV series Angel, along with such films as Feast of Love from two thousand and seven, the two thousand and seven adaptation of The Mist, as well Stephen King's excellent novella Defiance in two thousand and eighty Tens Clash of the Titans, and she's mostly done TV, I think since then. She had a starring role in The Man in the High Castle, which ran twenty fifteen through twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: So a kind of interesting thing is that I don't know. For some reason, I would have expected the next Riddick adventure after Pitch Black to be a total reset, you know, just essentially ignoring the previous film other than the general world it establishes and the Riddick character. But that's not the case, there is significant continuity from Pitch Black to Chronicles Riddick, including the two other characters that survive at the end of the previous movie are both in this movie.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah. On one hand Kira and Jack, and the other one is Imam played by Keith David.
Speaker 3: Oh always loving Keith David shows up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Keith David's great born nineteen fifty six, best known, I think to many fans out there as Child's one of the two survivors at the end of nineteen eighty two is the thing from John Carpenter, and also he played Frank in John Carpenter's They Live in nineteen eighty eight. He of course has that epic fight with Roddy Rowdy Piper.
Speaker 3: I cannot. I don't even want to start talking about that fight scene and They Live I will, I will embarrass myself with all the good things I want to say about it.
Speaker 1: One of the best, yeah, fight scenes, long drawn out fight scenes you'll find and in a film no weapons per se, mostly fisticuffs and grappling, and also mostly realistically and comfort involves like at least a couple of wrestling maneuvers pro wrestling maneuvers it's a tree.
Speaker 3: It's one of the one of the times I have laughed hardest at a movie in my life was the first time I saw that fight scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we may have to come back to that one sometime. So. Keith David has had a long and interesting career. He was in a film nineteen seventy nine production of Coriolanus with Morgan Freeman in the title role. He appeared as Keith and also Keith the Handyman on nine episodes of Mister Rogers. He's remained consistent and memorable presence both as as an actor and a voice actor, in large part due to that smooth voice of his, Like he's done a lot of voiceover work, and you can tell when it's him, like there's this dark, gravelly smoothness. There's kind of a seductive quality to it. So, yeah, he's really good. Like. His voice credits include Spawn like the HBO Spawn animated series. He's a voice only character in the Tales from the Crypt episode he was in. This is also encompassing at least a couple of video games here, Planescape, Torment, Coraline, Mass Effect, Rick and Morty Gargoyle's The Goliath Chronicles Princess Mononoke and Disney's The Princess and the Frog. And then when it comes to just straight up acting roles, he was in nineteen eighty six is Platoon, ninety eight's Armageddon, also ninety eights, Requiem for a Dream two thousand and fourths Crash twenty Twelves, Cloud Atlas twenty twenty two's Nope. He has a great role in that. He also had a really fun role as kind of the villain on TV's Futureman or Future Man and oh and he was also I think on one season of Community. Not to be confused, however, with his contemporary and fellow actor David ke This is Keith David Keith. David and David Keith have never worked together for film or TV, and I've always found that interesting. It seemed like they line up. They're very much peers. But I always wonder do they just not act together because it's just pure luck, or are people like, no, we can't do this, We can't have a Keith David and a David Keith in the same movie or TV show.
Speaker 3: The casting director won't allow it.
Speaker 1: But imagine that poster. Imagine if they were the stars. David Keith and Keith David are and then you have some sort of clever like buddy team up title to Keith to David. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Now this next actor you're gonna mention. I read that apparently Vin Diesel convinced her to be in the film by sending her an enormous bouquet of flowers.
Speaker 1: That's what I read too. Yeah, apparently he was like, look, we want to cast the rest of this film, and I can't do it until I cast you, like you're essential for this. And yeah, the actor he sent these flowers to is Dame Judy Dinch, who plays Arion, a member of the Element in this picture.
Speaker 3: I mean, Judy Dinch is wonderful. She's Judy Dinch. There is something funny about the fact that she's in Chronicles of Riddick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think this is the only science fiction film she's done. I mean, you can make a case for James Bond essentially being sci fi and maybe one or two other films, but in terms of like pure people in space doing space things, this is it. And I think I saw that, Like in her autobiography, she doesn't have much to say about this film other than like, I didn't really understand any of it, but everyone was nice and the sets were really cool, so fair enough. But you know, she's the sort of actor who adds a splash of talent and class to anything she's in. Her presence can't help but elevate anything, and this is no exception. Born nineteen thirty four, highly regarded and honored British actor of stage, screen and TV. She burst on the theater scene in the late fifties, and this also included some TV mini series productions. She's had extensive credits over the decades, and we certainly can't list them all, but just a few highlights. Sixty Five's a Study in Terror, a Sherlock Holmes film, a nineteen seventy nine adaptation of Macbeth in which she played Lady Macbeth opposite Ian McKellen. Nineteen eighty five is a Room with a View, nineteen ninety five's GoldenEye, a James Bond movie, which of course kicked off an eight film run in which she played im. She's like Bond's boss, right, Yeah, that's right. Ninety eight, Shakespeare in Love, twenty seventeen's Murder on the Orient Express and twenty twenty one's Belfast. So she's still out there, still going strong. Yeah. So yeah, she's quite a legend.
Speaker 3: Maybe she'll come back for Riddick Furia.
Speaker 1: She might, she might very well. I mean, I hope, so, I hope the next Riddick movie includes all of my favorite elements of this movie, and that includes our next actor, Nick Chinlund, who plays the character Toombs, a mercenary who's hot on Riddick's trail.
Speaker 3: You know, I noticed that they left him. They deliberately show him being left alive at the end of this movie so that he can come back in a sequel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This was apparently a case where originally he died in the script and in fact the novelization of the Chronicles of Riddick by Alan Dean Foster, which which I read for this episode. I'll hold it up here for you to stay on screen. Jow.
Speaker 3: Wow, you read words. You did research.
Speaker 1: I did my research. He died. His character dies in the book too, because you know, clearly the book is you know, coming together at an earlier stage of production. But yeah, they decided this character is too much fun. We've got to leave the option open.
Speaker 3: So instead of dying, he gets left in a cage next to two CGI I don't know rock panthers and just is rattling the bars, screaming Riddy.
Speaker 1: It's great, so good. This is a role that called for a scene chewing gargoyle and chin Lind totally answered the call. And I think his facial hair in this is key, Like he has these super pointed sideburns and like this weird little soul patch going on, and his hair is all like he's he's got this just total gargoyle energy and just really leans into the performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Chinlyn was born in sixty one, American actor, active since the late nineteen eighties. He played a character named Hashett in ninety two is Lethal Weapon three, which tracks. He voiced Kwan Chi on nineteen ninety six's Mortal Kombat Defenders of the Realm. You pointed this out already, but he played a character named Billy Bedlam in nineteen ninety seven's con Air. I've never seen Kanyir. You'll have to fill me in on this. Oh.
Speaker 3: Con Air is in kind of the same space as the Fast Later Fast and the Furious movies, Like it is a big, hilarious, over the top action movie. I think well, I was gonna say it's Michael Bay, but I think it's not Michael Bay. It is one of the movies that is not Michael Babe, but feels like Michael Bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and has a pretty great cast.
Speaker 3: Does that recall? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, Chinlyn played the serial killer Donnie Faster on two episodes of The X Files. I think he's a shape shifter in that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I almost remember this.
Speaker 1: Okay. He has played a wide range of supporting roles over the years, but you know, clearly he has the looks and the height. He's a pretty tall guy, so he plays a lot of heavies in villains in films. His other credits include Training Day, both the two thousand and one film and the TV show, and he was also in two thousand and five's The Legend of Zorro. Now this is a smaller role, but I noticed that Terry chin is in this. He plays the Murt pilot, or at least the second MYRT pilot that Toombs hires. He was born in seventy five. He's a Canadian actor that many will recognize from such films as two thousands, Almost Famous, in which he played American rock journalist Ben Fong Torres, and from there Chin went on to appear in all sorts of TV and film roles, including two thousand and six of Snakes on a Plane, twenty twelve's Cabin in the Woods, twenty two He's Falling, I think that's a Vigo Morrison picture, and also twenty twenty one's Demonic. His TV credits include Stargate SG one, Dark Angel, Battlestar Galactica, Jessica Jones, House of Cards, The Expanse, and The Last of Us.
Speaker 3: I did not notice him in this movie, but I certainly remember him as Ben Fong Torres and almost famous where the gag the whole movie is that the main character is a kid and he is trying to trick Ben Fong Torres into thinking he is an adult rock journalist.
Speaker 1: I've seen that one. It's been a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, lowers his voice on the phone when he's talking to him. Oh yeah, yes, So I need to check with my wife.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, let's get to the real villains of the picture. These are members of the Necromonger Empire and heading up the Necromonger Empire. We have the Lord Marshall himself played by Column Fior born nineteen fifty eight, splendid Canadian actor with a strong resume of film, TV, in Shakespearean theater. He has that he has a particular knack for playing famous dead Canadians, such as Pierre Trudeau in the two thousand and two Canadian mini series titled Trudeau, and I think our Canadian listeners in general are going to tend to have a better understanding of his broader range. For instance, he's really fun as a craze marketing executive in the second season of the excellent Canadian dramedy series Slings and Arrows from several years back. That one starred Paul Gross, who's also a great actor. But American audience is probably no fer best for maybe either Kenneth Brono's Thor from twenty eleven, in which he plays the King of the Ice Giants, or the two thousand and two film adaptation of the musical Chicago, in which he plays a supporting role.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, but I thought he was Irish. He's not.
Speaker 1: No, he's I think he's American born technically, but Canadian, thoroughly Canadian. And yeah, he's great, And I mean he's playing your big bad. He's playing a warlord wizard in a grandiose space opera, so engines are on full power here, and I think he's great.
Speaker 3: He has some great scenes of revealing powers that you didn't know he had before, like in the first scene where he ripped somebody sol out, and then in the later scene where he tries to rip Vin Diesel's sol out but fails.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it's an over the top supervillain role, but he does a great job with it, all right. A sub villain to this an important character. He is the character of Vaco, played by Carl Urban born nineteen seventy two, New Zealand actor who started out in the early nineties playing Julius Caesar on Zena and Hercules, and then he broke out more in two thousand and two with roles in ghost Ship and Lord of the Rings The Two Towers, followed of course, by Return of the King and then this film. He's subsequently gone on to be kind of like a dependable go to for various major sci fi roles, such as projects like two thousand and nine Star Trek and its sequels, in which he plays Bones, twenty twelve, Judge Dread in which he plays Judge Dread. He's in Thor, Ragnarok, and and also he's one of the stars of the TV series The Boys.
Speaker 3: Carl Urban can be really great. I don't know if this movie really makes the best use of his talents. He mostly just like stands there kind of looking mean and very grim and it actually I don't recall him having a lot of lines.
Speaker 1: No, but his partner, his character's partner in this is really the character that has a lot more going on, and he's kind of like this, he's very stoic and grim and is kind of like a drift, like he's like, he's a very loyal character, but she is Lady Macbeth and his Macbeth towards greatness, Like that's their whole dynamic. So, I mean, he's good in this. But I think Carl Urban's one of those actors that is at his best when he gets to inject some comedy into what he's doing. I think of the roles like Star Trek, like Ragnarok, Like he's terrific in those because yeah, he's physical and all that, but and serious when it calls for it. But also there's this underlying comedic energy that he does extremely well. Yeah, for this performance as well, though I would say the haircut is key.
Speaker 3: Yes, he has a kind of elevated Frankenstein flat top haircut that also ends in a mullet, so try to imagine Frankenstein. But the hair comes up several inches off the scalp and then it's flat on top, and then it goes down into a long tail. Extremely cool. Look, I'm surprised it didn't catch on with the kids. What am I remembering this wrong? No?
Speaker 1: No, that describes it to a t. It's kind of like this weird like slicked back Frankenstein mullet. Yeah, yeah, Space warrior haircut.
Speaker 3: Right, But how does he keep it standing up like that? Because he wears a helmet. Sometimes I think the heavy metal helmet would push down the flat He must have really good hair gel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or maybe he does do anything. It was here and it's just the helmet does that to his head. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh, maybe that's all his head under there. Maybe it's bone all the way up.
Speaker 1: All right. So that's Vaco, and then we have Dame Vaco. This is his I guess she's like his consort. I'm not sure exactly what this character's official role in the Necromannger Empire is I guess she's kind of like nobility or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's assigned official undermining the Lord Marshall duties.
Speaker 1: Yes, and she is played by the always terrific British actor Tandy or tandee Way Newton. Most of you probably know Newton best for her work on say HBO's West World. She has a major role on that TV series. She was also in two thousand's Mission Impossible Too, and some of her other bigger credits include nineteen ninety four's Interview with a Vampire, two thousand and fours, Crash in twenty eighteen solo a Star Wars story. Yeah, she's I think she's really great in this, especially when she is in full blown Lady made Beth mode. You know, when she's she's saying things like kill the beast while it's wounded and so forth. Yea, she has a tremendous no late in the film, And I think that's saying a lot because no moments in films can often be cheesy and so forth. But she gives I think, maybe the best one I've ever seen. Like it's just this visceral like rejection of what is happening. It's so for you know, connoisseurs. I highly recommend you check out her performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it competes with Revenge of the Siths. She is great in this, and she appears to be having a great time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There are plenty of scenes where she is just comically seductive, you know, but she's still entertaining in those scenes. And she is dressed the whole time in this splendid golden dinosaur skin dress, of which is very stylish.
Speaker 3: She's like the only character in the movie who gets Riddic to do what she says.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Everybody else is like, Riddick, do this, and he's like, no, I won't. But she's just like, well, why don't you just ask him nicely? But she says it in a very breathy, seductive voice, and then he's like, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll see where you're going with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: And then we also have a necromannger character named what We don't know his name, we just know him by his title. He is the Purifier or Purifier, and this character is played by the always excellent Linus Roach born nineteen sixty four. Roach is likely best known to many of you out there for his subdued performances Thomas Wayne in two thousand and five's Batman Begins, and also his intensely weird portrayal of the folk singer turned murderous cult leader Jeremiah sand in twenty eighteen's Mandy from director Panos Cosmantos.
Speaker 3: Those are two extremely different performances, but he's great in both. Like I remember, in seeing him and Mandy, it was hard to recall how comforting and reassuring instead he was in the Batman movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, this is a This is an act a deeply serious actor who by all counts takes his roles very seriously, and he seems to have deep reservoirs of weird energy to call upon when the role asks for it. And so it's a real treat when he's given at least even a little leeway to let that weirdness out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He played the title character in nineteen ninety four's Priest from Antonia Byrd. He played Robert F. Kennedy in a two thousand and two TV movie about the American politician, and he did, like a lot of you know, working actors of the modern era, did a whole lot of Law and Order. He did thirty three episodes of Vikings, twenty three episodes of Homeland, and what about NonStop? Well, yes, he was in the twenty fourteen NonStop movie starring Liam Neeson's all Right, Real Quick On just the rest of the couple of the technical notes here. Graham Revel did the score, born nineteen fifty five. We talked about him before because he did the score to Ghost in the Machine from nineteen ninety three, as well as nineteen eighty nine Spontaneous Combustion, which we've also discussed. New Zealand musician and composer and former member of the eighties Australian industrial music and noise group SPK. I'm not familiar with SPK, despite being somewhat familiar with a lot of industrial and noise music, so I don't know. Music fans. If you know SPK, write in and tell us all about it. He also did The Crow in nineteen ninety four, and just generally a lot of nineties horror and sci fi movies, So I guess that's kind of like that's the weird thing about the score for this film. The score works, totally works, does everything is required of it also feels very much set in the time, in part because this guy was just working a lot on films like this during that time period. And finally, on the art and design side of things, I'm not going to go into too much detail here other than to say that the production design and costuming was a work of several talents that have been involved and a lot of other sleek, big budget productions. Production designed by Holger Gross, who also worked on Stargate. Art, direction by Kevin Ishioka, Mark W. Mansbridge and Sandy Tanaka. Costuming by Michael Dennison and Ellen Mirojnik. All right, so those are the only people were going to cover here, though I will say it's a pretty deep cast, and there's some other faces you might recognize that went on to be in other things, and we might touch on some of those as they come out, but maybe not.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, you ready to talk about the plot, Let's jump in.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Well, the film opens with blue energy exploding out of some kind of metal hollow, and then we zoom out to see the light is blasting out of a giant metal structure looming tall in a dark and bloomy sky, kind of like a solid iron skyscraper with these deep ridges running top to bottom and decorated on the top with huge sculptures of stern faces with exaggerated masculine features, wearing military helmets. They look vaguely ancient Roman, but with like noseguards. So I don't know exactly what they're most modeled on, but I was looking at this, I'm like, Okay, imagine you went back in a time machine. You showed Benito Mussolini blade runner. I don't know why you do that, but then you send him to bed. This is the dream he would have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've read that aspects of the necromonger design here were inspired in part by Italian sculptor Adolfo Wilt but he was apparently noted for a lot of his proto fascist imagery. But also they took some inspiration from sixteenth century Italian armor designs as well as some twentieth century Art Deco, so you can see a lot of that mixed in to this very gothic space. Opera looked to this, you know, clearly evil empire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we zoom out to see this inner energy tower is looming over a conquered city and the buildings are reduced to smoking ruins, and there are giant airships flooding the sky over the remains of the metropolis. Then we cut to another one of the glowering metal faces. But this is not another tower. It is part of a helmet. It is a helmet worn by a man with a rigid metal impression of a face covering his actual face. Like there are only eye holes and then more faces on the sides of the helmet. So it's a helmet with metal faces in every direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know exactly what the purpose here is. Maybe it's because this is of course Colin Fior playing the Grand Marshal. He's snatching souls left and right, so maybe those are supposed to be representations of souls. But also, as we'll learn, like he's very difficult to get the drop on, he's kind of he has a hyper awareness of his surroundings. So maybe it's kind of like with you know, like the Greek Hackaday goddess that you know, he's looking in more than one direction at the same time, and that's reflected on his helmet.
Speaker 3: And he's got more faces too, Like he's got pauldrons on his shoulders that have faces I bet if you lifted up his arm there'd be faces in the arm pits. So there's yeah, there's a lot of faces on his armor. So the face. This guy is standing with a bunch of other mean looking space toughs in threatening armor of various sorts. There's another guy with a mask covering only the lower part of his face, so he looks kind of like Scorpion or sub Zero. And they're looking out over the landscape like yep, we destroyed it. And then they turn and they go inside a palace, and then we pull back and it reveals that the palace is mounted on top of a space ship, so it's sort of a castle in the sky or in the stars. And then narration comes in. It is a female voice, I think it is Judy Dinch talking. She says they are an army unlike any other, crusading across the stars toward a place called the under Verse, their promised land, and a constellation of dark new worlds Necromongers, they're called. And if they cannot convert you, they will kill you. Leading them, the Lord Marshall, he alone has made a pilgrimage to the gates of the Underverse and returned a different being, stronger, stranger, half alive, and half something else.
Speaker 1: Yep, these are the Necromongers. They are I guess you could describe them as an imperialistic, astronomadic warrior culture centered around an anti natalist death cult. They believe that human life in the universe is a mistake and that there's a better life in the underverse, which is a concept that's kind of shrouded in mystery, but seems to at once be an afterlife and also an actual dimension that can be accessed through a physical threshold in addition to access via just normal death.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of like the ancient Greek vision of Hades. You know, it's a place you could go to. It's not Yes, it's hard to go there, but you can go.
Speaker 1: Right and some people can come back, and then they have privileged information about the universe. I'm gonna mention that Alan Dene Foster has an appendix in the novelization that runs through the details regarding the founding of Necroism and the Necromonger Empire, the six different regimes, and so it's explain that basically the Lord Marshall here is the Holy half Dead Zy law the last. He's the sixth and again possibly the last Lord Marshall, because eventually there's going to be a Lord Marshall that finishes off the rest of human life in the universe and then sets sail into the under verse and like leaves a closed sign on our universe.
Speaker 3: Okay, the movie does not make that clear. The less less is said about it in the film.
Speaker 1: I like the sense of mystery regarding the religion and beliefs of the Necromongres because I think it makes them feel more threatening and weird, like they have a strange religion that does not travel well unless it is delivered on the edge of the knife. It makes them feel like this great looming threat that they are of course supposed to be.
Speaker 3: So next we see the Necromongers inside their ship and one of them operates a device with a switch that is basically a gory crucifix. They've got like really anguished looking crucifix imagery all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're big on pain as much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, kind of mixed with some Alex grayish kind of bodies with like the skin peeled back, you see the muscles and all that. They flip the crucifix switch and it unleashes this blast of energy that destroys the face of the entire planet, and the narration continues. Judy Dench says, if we are to survive, a new balance must be found in normal times. When are the normal times? I don't know. In normal times, evil would be fought by good, but in times like these, well, it should be fought by another kind of evil. And then title screen it says, Chronicles of Riddick in something that's really really darn close to the Peter Jackson, Lord of the Rings font.
Speaker 1: Now this bit about evil should be fought by another kind of evil. This always gave me pause because in any question the whole endeavor here, because he's Riddick really another kind of evil.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they're trying to set him up that way in order to achieve a character dynamic that a lot of films and stories try to do because it's fun and pleasing. So they want him to be perceived as bad in the beginning, and they do some work to achieve that. I've actually got a whole note about this and minute based on some stuff Riddick says in the first you know, ten minutes of the film.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we'll come back to most of that, but I'll just say briefly that I never think of Riddick as an evil care you know, he's the self interested loner who's very distrustful of others, and he's buried his heart and his feelings within this grim, hyper masculine exterior, this nihilistic mindset. But you know, and this is also part of sort of the hyper masculine stereotype that yeah, we see that that exterior can be pierced and the heart of our masculine character can be touched. You know. It might be through love, it might be through baseball or like a really cool dog, but you know, you can, you can reach him, you can make him feel again, and inevitably, in a Ritic movie that occurs, Ritic will inevitably Ungrinch. His heart will grow, you know, three sizes and will still and he'll save the day. But even then, we still see throughout these films that he has a code, like for the most part, he's only killing in self defense. He's not particularly sadistic or anything. He's killing to escape or maybe it's like an honor thing, direct retalitative retaliation for the depth of a friend, but you know, he's a mark with a code, but I would never think of him as evil per se.
Speaker 3: Well, in the first film in Pitch Black, they spend a big part like the first half of the film, he has understood as a brutal, sadistic murderer who will kill you the first chance he gets. Like he's a prisoner of I think, who is understood to be like a police officer at the beginning, but then is revealed to be like a sadistic bounty hunter later.
Speaker 1: Played by wings Houser's son.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, okay what Cole Hauser?
Speaker 1: I think, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's the classic, you know, the criminal with the heart of gold story, Like at the beginning, he's an evil, sadistic murderer who will kill anyone, but then he gets a chance to kill the good characters and he doesn't and then ends up helping them in the end. So he's revealed to actually be a sweetheart. But I'll come back to that in a minute. So we open on a chase scene. There's a blizzard blasting a man in like goggles sort of sunshaded goggles, with a scraggly beard and long hair, he's covered in snow. He's running over what looks like a chaotic glacier top with like patterns of parallel ridges and chasms, so it's sort of like the top of a maze made of ice. He's running on top of the walls of the maze and he is pursued by a spaceship. We get a little title that says UV System Planet six. And inside the spaceship there's Billy Bedlam. That's what's his name from Conair? What is his name? Chinlund? Chinlund?
Speaker 1: Yeah, playing tombs, tombs, And.
Speaker 3: So he's flying the spaceship. He's got a couple of gunners and they are chasing down the running Man, trying to shoot him with these wire spider webs to capture him. But the running Man is too fast, he's too crafty. He keeps faking them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, Tims is terrific. He's responsible for some of the most cheeseball lines in the whole picture. And Chinlan is just all the I'm giving us the maximum tombs experience you got to admire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I guess the filmmakers are trying to fake us out for a second here with the hair and the beard but I mean, could this be anybody other than Riddick? And then toom says Riddish.
Speaker 1: Now, one of the things I love about novelizations of films, And I don't I mean, I mean, I'm not a It's rare that I'll actually pick one up. But I just happened to see this once I grabbed it. But I love this weird exercise of this being written at some earlier stage of production. And you get a little insight maybe into earlier visions of the film and earlier versions of the screenplay, as well as the author's attempt to make it all work as text as literature as opposed to just the visual medium of film and this and there are always some interesting nuggets like this. For instance, in the Alan Dean Foster novelization, Ridick is wearing space yety boots and a space yety hide in this opening that he got from slaying a space yety, and that's how he's been hiding out on this planet. Anyone looking into deaths on this world have been like, well, you know, these mercenaries were killed, but they were clearly killed by a space yety. Look at these space yety tracks.
Speaker 3: So he's disguised as a space yety right, yeah, shriek of the necromongered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Oh, I guess they dropped that before they even filmed it, because I was playing close attention to the boots here and he's definitely just wearing boots and not big ridiculous like space yety feet.
Speaker 3: That is a real shame they discarded that. No, instead, he just looks like a yetti because he's got a long hair and a beard instead of his classic smooth Riddick look. So Riddick lures the space ship into a cave, Tombs flies in after him, despite warnings from the gunners that it is too tight, but he says this is going to be the biggest payday ever. But in the winding dark channels of the cave, Riddick manages to take out the two gunners on the sides of the ship as it flies by. And then there's another dude inside the ship who's just like, oh, I'm scared, and in a quivering voice, he's like, he just he ghosted two guys and I never even saw him. So it's your classic, you know. I am frightened by the power and skills of our protagonist kind of line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's the whole Riddic deal, right, I mean, he's he's always portrayed as highly capable and just outclassing most human beings he comes into contact with.
Speaker 3: So the scared guy goes outside side hatch with a gun, starts looking around for Riddick, but he outsmarts them again. Riddick is on top of the ship. They actually this happens multiple times in the movie where people are like looking out of some aperture at the world and they're like looking for Riddick, but Riddick is on top of whatever they're looking out of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta pan up if you want to find the Riddic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he like grabs the bounty hunter, throws him down into the chasm below, and then he's inside the ship alone with tombs and Vin Diesel said. The first thing he says here, he goes, you made three mistakes. First, you took the job, Second, you came light a four man crew for me. And for some reason, here's where they choose to use their movie the movie's f bomb, he says, insulting, but then he goes, but the worst mistake you made, and then Toom's lunges for the gunrack to get a gun, but there's nothing there, and Riddick explains the third mistake is empty gun rack. So Riddick now has control of the ship. Welcome to con Air, and so he wants to know, you know, what's the bounty on his head? Turns out its one point five million. Ridick wants to know who put the bounty on him. It's anonymous, but it came from the planet he Leon Prime, and Riddick knows something about that. And then finally he says, whose ship is this and Tomb says mine, and Riddick says wrong answer, throws him out of the ship and then blasts off. So they want to establish early on Riddick is bringing that attitude.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely. I mean Riddick had has tons of those attitude laden one liners in this film, and there's at least one scene in which he one liners and then drops his deal with it shades literally yeah, And I think that sums up a lot about the picture and the character, like that's that Rittic energy.
Speaker 3: So now Riddick narrates, he says, I knew they'd come for me. It took them five years but I knew you don't expect these merks to have any honor, any code. But this new bounty from a holy man, a guy whose neck eye saved well, Lesson learned no such word as friend can only end bad when you let someone get too close, bad for them. So now it's back to civilization. All the brightness and everything I hate just wanted to be left alone. So here's where I wanted to come back to the issue of Riddick's alignment. I think this monologue is part of something that movies of this particular sort have to deal with, which is what I would call the align arc reset. So the alignment arch is, you know what I already described, like movies and other stories that have a criminal protagonist often have an arc where the character starts off mean and cold and totally self interested, or at least you perceive them that way, and then by the end of the story they are revealed to have a heart of gold. In some way they either become or reveal themselves to be kind and helpful. It's a fun arc and it feels good, but you've got a problem if you want to do a sequel to a movie like that, because the heart of Gold was already revealed by the end of the previous movie. So I think often in a case with a movie like Chronicles of Ritic, the writers have to do some work to kind of reset the character, to re establish them as cold or mean, or cynical or self interested at the beginning of the next story, so that the evil to good or at least you know, sort of anti social to good alignment arch can be accomplished again. And I think that's kind of what's going on here. Ridick was saving lives at the end of Pitch Black, so now he's like, I have learned the lesson not to trust in friendship. My alignment is now reset. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I mean it's it Also it makes I think it also makes sense from like, you know, a character standpoint, It's like, Okay, you know, maybe he's relapsed into evil, or maybe that whole Heart of Gold thing was just that was just a quirk, you know, fluke. Yeah, it was a fluke. You know, he's still actually evil. And then ultimately, like you got to tell a story about this guy. You need a new character arc. You can't just be like, oh, he's good now, and he's good for the entire picture. So yeah, this reset makes sense.
Speaker 3: Also in the scene, Ridick is doing some kind of medical thing to himself and it looks like a kind of alien dialysis where he's cycling his blood through tubes with this blue liquid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's getting ready for space travel. I think in the first movie too, space travel, hyper sleep, cryo sleep, whatever they call it, and this one, you know, it's kind of like a hot sleep. It's not pleasant. One note that my wife had on this film is too much part of it with me or rewatch part of it with me over lunch the other day is that travel through space and this is depicted as challenging and hard, which is I think an interesting choice. I mean, the necromonger seemed to have an easy time of it, but for everyone else, for the Merks, it's pretty hot and painful looking.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Ritick arrives on Helion Prime and also happens to wreck a local police ship on the way in. I don't know why. I guess they're just showing he's bad again, like he just sort of does.
Speaker 1: An entire establishment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is where Keith David lives in a city called New Mecca on Helion Prime. And so we see Keith David walking around the marketplace, arriving at his home only to find Vin Diesel already in his house shaving his head. Now, this is the smooth muscle man we are familiar, you're with he is he is smooth once more. Now, this is the first scene in the movie where we see Riddick's eyes shine where his pupils are kind of shining in the dark. Uh, do you want to explain that that concept?
Speaker 1: Rob? Yeah? I think the idea here is that Riddick uh had his eyes were replaced or souped up on a prison planet where the prisoners had to work in the dark. And so they were like, well they got to work in the dark, let's give them all, you know, night vision. Let's give them let's give them all goggles a night right there, and their their eyeballs. I don't think it's part of being a Furian. Being a Furian is all about being from a planetary group of humans noted for their warrior skills and resistance. As we'll learn, and if you're watching the director's cut, it also gives you weird energy power. So that's that's a different cut of the film.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I think I I think he says in the movie that they did this to him with his eyes, so I think it was a surgical procedure, and it has the cont so he can see in the dark, and that comes in multiple scenes where he's like fighting people in a dark room and all he can see. But also it means that he has to wear those goggles whenever there's light because the light hurts his eyes.
Speaker 1: Honestly, this is something that always confuses me and seems needlessly complex with comic book characters where they have an origin story where it's like, well, first, these are the crazy things that I was either born with or got via exposure to radiation, But then I also got these other things, so that's like, yeah, the Spider Man, it's like, well, radioactive Spider bit me, and now I can climb on walls, and then also I invented highly advanced web shooting technology to strap under my wrists. Or Wolverine has a similar thing where it's like, well, I was born like this, and then oh yeah, they replaced my bones with adamantium or coated them or whatever the case is, and it's like that's a lot of staffs guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. So Riddick confronts Imam about the bounty on his head and he threatens him with a knife, and Immam explains that he had to find him because it was a matter of saving the universe. So he takes him out that night to show him what he means. There's this giant white shape burning in the night sky, and he says, it is said that the comet always precedes them, these world enders. The Coalsack planets are gone, eight million settlers are missing, the entire aqualin system has gone. Too. My god, how do I save my family? And so you know, he's describing how the whole universe is going to be destroyed by the Necromongers, and Riddick says had to end sometime.
Speaker 1: Now. This moment with the comet, I always like this, And we see a shot either here or later where we I think it's later we see the comet, and I think it gives a weird astrological bent to the impending arrival of the Necromongers, and it helps drive this kind of ancient world model of into planetary human civilization that we see in the film, because while the world building is not always like super overt we're not shown maps of star systems and so forth. You know, there's this sense of planets as ancient city states. And there's also this clear clear importance of merks or mercenaries in the franchise and supposedly the larger universe as well. So while it seems that planets do have planetary defense forces, in this universe, mercenaries fill in vital gaps, and I think we could also easily imagine how something like the Necromongers evolve out of like powerful stateless militaries that are important for this interplanetary balance. Anyway, I do. I like little subtle moments like this regarding the necro mind. There's another one later with some prison guards where they just talk like it's just hearsay, there's no hard information. They're like, well, they say, there's there's a force out there. Like it's not like in Star Wars, where so often it's like, oh, yeah, the Empire. You guys know the Empire, right, Oh yeah, they're bad. It's like there's a lot of a lot of mystery surrounding what is happening in the world, and you get the sense that these planets are very disconnected from each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we're about to get some more solid information because Judy Dench is about to show up. So the people who ultimately place the bounty on Riddick, they show up and explain things. It's like three guys in robes with hoods and Judy Dinch and she she kind of morphs into being out of gusts of wind and explains that she is an elemental being called named Arion, and then Riddick puts a knife to her throat.
Speaker 1: Once you get to know Riddick, you know, that's just what he does. That's that's like, this means he likes you.
Speaker 3: It's how he says hello, Yeah, knife to your throat and she explains some backstory. Okay, we got the Necromongers. They're a scourge, a militaristic religious cult goes from planet to planet, converting everybody to their faith of secrets from beyond death and killing everyone who will not convert. There is a planet who stood up to them, the only one so far, called the Furians. The Furians were all destroyed by the Necromongers, all but one, a young male Furian named Riddick, and Judy Dinch thinks Riddick is the last Furian warrior left alive and the only person in the galaxy who can stop the Lord Marshall.
Speaker 1: Oh, sounds like we got ourselves a prophecy.
Speaker 3: That's right. So they're interrupted when soldiers come to the house looking for a quote spy that was seen arriving earlier. So I guess that part seems a little off, like, wouldn't Riddick be able to sneak in undetected? It seems weird that they saw him, but they did, and so the soldiers come in to arrest him. But then Riddick snuffs out some candles so the room is dark, and then beats them all up in the dark, so we see him, you know, this is sort of his thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, oh yeah, there's a great scene where he puts his hands over the candles and he's like, oh, I'm turning out the lights now. And it's like a plus five to every attack.
Speaker 3: So Ridick also finds out some other stuff that the other survivor from the first movie, the young girl named Jack, she went looking for him, and she was last heard of going to the planet Crematoria, where it is too hot to set foot on the surface, and there's a general sense that Riddick somehow let her down, like he was supposed to watch out for her. She idolized him, but he went on to do crimes or something. Then there's more attacking. The Necromongers attack the planet and there's a fierce battle. The Necromongers they drop their space fascist iron skyscraper on the city and then they fly over in airships, bombarding everything with heavy artillery. The soldiers of Helion Prime try to put up a fight, but they are no match for the overwhelming force of the Necromongar fleet. The defending army is crushed and the Necromongers capture the city. So there's a bunch of action going on here. I don't know if you want to focus on anything that happens in this part. One is the revelation of these weird creatures that, like the Necromonger troopers with pink purple scuba masks that allow them to I think see anything alive, Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They have you know, enhanced vision kind of like I think you've described as predator vision.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Notes, So these are these are lensers and they're not really there's not nothing, not a lot of backstory to what these guys are other than what you see in the film. But Alan Dene Foster describes them as necromongers who, after catastrophic injuries, have been repurposed into these altered sensed tracking units. Necromongers, we should if it's not clear yet. They apparently can't feel pain. That's part of the necromonger process. If you are converted, if your planet is conquered, and you join the ranks, they do some horrible things to you. You can no longer feel pain. You not afraid of death, but if you get too messed up, they might repurpose you into some other task within the empire.
Speaker 3: M Okay, well, here, I think the movie can't wait as long as Pitch Black did to reveal that no Rittic is actually good, because he starts already doing heroic stuff, like a mom's wife and daughter are threatened by the lensors and then Riddick saves them. He crushes one necromonger's head with his hands, and so he's generally sort of coming to the rescue in this sequence.
Speaker 1: Now I can go on it not about things I like about the Necromongers because I think they're they're pretty cool, but also, like you can, you can probably take issue with some of what you see regarding their military tactics. Like Necromonger troops are big on using things like halbards and maces and knives. They also have some manner of force gun but there they seem to be largely you know, melee shock troops, backed up by overpowering aerial support from these various space ships, so they're they're not afraid to die. They're supposed to inspire the conquered as well, where afterwards they're like, hey, do you want to join up and become like these super soldiers And you're like, okay, I guess. So they seem like they seem like they're pretty powerful, but yeah, if you put up even a little bit of a fight, they're going to kill you right away. And I feel like I'm a little vague on exactly exactly what death means for the non believer in the Necroism religion. It I'm not sure if if like, if they kill you, do you get to go to Underverse or is it only I your believer and you die you get to go to I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I don't know so anyway, Unfortunately, Keith David is killed, but he says, like to the to the Necromonger commander who kills him, he says, there will be an afterlife for me? Will there be for you? And then the next day we see the Necromongers surveying their victory, and we meet new Necromonger characters. So this is Carl Urban and ten dy Way Newton as Voco and Dame Voco, and she is like, man, I love the smell of Necro in the morning. Isn't it great when another empire falls? Yep? We also meet Linus Roach as the Necromannger priest. He's like giving a sermon to the civilian prisoners standing before him about how great it is to convert to the Necromonger religion. It's very much I was once like you, you know, fractured all the you know. It's sort of a speech against diversity. He's all like, all, you know, all you people come from different backgrounds, different places, different religions. Wouldn't it be great to all be all one thing, to just be Necromonger, and so we can take away your pain and you can be one of us. And then a guy stands up and he's like, we sorry, we all have our different religious beliefs, but we're not going to be converted to yours. And then the Lord Marshall looks at this guy and he's like, then I'll take your soul and just rips his soul out. He rips out like a ghost of the guy.
Speaker 1: That guy, by the way, is a recognizable Canadian actor, Christopher hayer Doll, who's been in a bunch of things if anyone recognizes him. But yeah, this may be our first look at the Lord Marshall's strange powers, brought on by his half dead status via a journey to the threshold of the Underverse. So these are I really like these effects. They're very fluid shadow movements that allow him to position his astral body ahead of his physical body and it creates a neat visual motif on the screen. But then what it's relating to us is that he moves super fast and it allows him to sort of look in two places at once and almost be in two places at once. It's more than most people can handle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so after this, it's like, oh, everybody's like, I don't want to get my soul ripped out. So everybody kneels except one guy. Oh it's Riddick. He's not kneeling, but what but he did get ushered into the room with all the other prisoners. I guess, I don't know, and he says, I bow to no man. So Riddick picks a fight with the huge soldier who killed Keith David and then stabs him in the heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's this weird bit with a dagger embedded in the big soldier's back. And I always took this to be something from the battle, like, you know, like maybe they can't feel pain or it's just stuck in the armor but not his back, and that Riddick takes strategic advantage of this. But in the novelization, Alan Dene Foster is like, oh no, no, this dagger got sunk into his back in a previous battle. Oh and he left it there as a symbol of his devotion to Necroism.
Speaker 3: This is how much I love Necroism. Yeah, not even going to take the knife.
Speaker 1: Out, which is strange, but again we're dealing with what's supposed to be a strange religion.
Speaker 3: So so so Riddick kills that guy and The Lord Marshall is impressed by this, so he goes up to talk to Ridick and he shows him the dagger. He says, what do you think of this blade? And then I laughed out loud at the CGI two thousand and four CGI blade spinning in Riddick's hand. I didn't, yeah, And Ridick is like, it's a half a gram heavy on the back end, and the Lord Marshall offers him the dagger. He's like, in our faith, you keep what you kill. H. So that's something to keep in mind because that'll play into the plot later. So it's like, he killed this guy, you get his dagger. But then Lord Marshall's like, anyway, take him to my ship for mind regression and h. Then Dame Vako she comes up. She starts walking around Riddick and just like oozing Breathy's seduction at him. Riddick says, it's been a long time since I smelled beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh, this may be goofiest cheeseball line of dialogue in the entire film. And there's some tough competition.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what that means though.
Speaker 1: Like she's beautiful and he hasn't been around beautiful in a while, and beautiful has its own smell. Okay, but also clearly he hasn't talked to women in a while either, and doesn't really know how it works. I don't know. Riddick is supposed to also have his own natural charisma and whatever. Yeah, now that Cgi Blakesman. Do you think there are like multiple takes where Vin Diesel tried to do it on his own and just drop the like plastic prop dagger all over the place, and then they're like, don't worry, we'll fix it in post.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's a good question, but yeah, so anyway, he so now he first he's like, I bow to no one, but then Dame Voco is like, come to the ship for mind regression, and he does.
Speaker 1: This is a part where the novelization, I think, you know, Alan Dene Foster maybe put in a little extra work to make it makes make a little more sense, where it's like he walks aboard and he's kind of like taken him by the grandeur of things, and then he's kind of like, you know, tricked into going into the mind regression chamber, whereas in the movie Proper, she's kind of like, hey, come on in here, big boy. Okay, stand here, I'm going to walk outside the mind regression chamber while they flip that big scary switch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so they put him in the mind regression chamber, and this causes him to interface with these ghostlike people stuck in gold machines that are called the quasi Deads.
Speaker 1: Well, now, according to Alan den Foster, these are actually the greater quasi Deads used for kind of mental interrogation, while the normal quasi deads or quasis are used for psychic communication across space. Oh okay, so I like those additional details, you know, little extra world building.
Speaker 3: Well, the Greater Quasi Deads read his mind and they discovered the backstory about the Furians that he learned earlier. And then they learned the prophecy that the last Furian will destroy them. And then they start freaking out and they like shatter these glass pieces that they're connected to, and they just start going kill the Riddick, Kill the Riddick, And so the Necromongers try, but you know, it's Riddick. He fights his way out, but unfortunately it's weird. He fights his way out of the Necromonger hive, makes his way to the ground of the planet, only to be immediately recaptured by tombs and a group of bounty hunters.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like this, this, this detail that because it's also kind of like he's saved by them. He's saved by the other, the lesser threat that is after him, and he's kind of like, okay, yes, you got me, go ahead and take me off planet.
Speaker 3: So they take him to the prison planet of Crematoria to collect a bounty. And what do you know, isn't that where Jack went looking for him earlier.
Speaker 1: Now it's Crematoria in the Metallica system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is their new album. Uh it's pronounced Crematoria.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the Lord Marshall sends Voco to go out hunting for him, and there is a scene with Dame Voco and she's putting on makeup, but her makeup is like a hot iron. She's like burning her eyelids, so her eyeliner is a hot iron burn. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure exactly how this is supposed to work. They don't feel pain, but that's true.
Speaker 3: So she's egging on her husband. She says, you know, the Lord Marshall knows he's not half the warrior you are. Some say he's too artistic for the job. What does that mean, I have no idea, she says, I wouldn't be surprised if someone soon promoted him to full dead. That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It also this also drives something like the kind of questions you have, like about the necromonger's relationship with death, like how much of it is this whole magic other realm of strange energy, and how much of it is like sort of the traditional religious fascinating with an after life and and the worship of death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she wants her husband Vocco to kill the Lord Marshall and take his place, because the Necromonger ways that whoever kills Lord Marshall becomes the new Lord Marshall. And you know what, I think that's a bad system for electing leaders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it doesn't. It probably doesn't make for a stable work environment. And that's that's not really what we see here.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess you just not create the right incentives for leadership.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This is another case where Alan Dean Foster does a good job in the appendix to the book, weaving this into the history of the movement, particularly as a way that the Necromongers had to handle a really delicate transition from the third to the fourth regime. So like, basically one guy kills the Necromonger leader and becomes the new leader, and then they have to smooth it over by saying, well, actually, did not our founder say you keep what you kill? Therefore I'm in the clear on this one.
Speaker 3: Perfect. Okay, So Riddick in the Merks who caught him arrive on Crematoria, Billy Bedlam says a line like if I owned this place and hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell. Yeah, I get the sentiment. It's a little clunky. I don't know it could have workshopped that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a line. It feels like it takes forever for him to roll out. It's a long walk for less impact than was intended. And I think this is a pup part where Tombs is coming in strong, challenging Reddick for Riddick for cheeseball line of the film. This's a real groner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they take Riddick to the prison. So on this planet, basically, on the night side, it's okay, but on the day side, the sun will roast anything in its path. It's just bombing the surface with fire. So they take Ridick to the prison and they lower him down on the like rope, and then while the bounty hunters are haggling about the price with the prison warden, random prisoners just start attacking Riddick until they are chain whipped by Jack, who reveals that, oh, she's here in the prison. She changed her name to Kirah, and she is now prison tough. And so we see that in action when there's a thing where they the prison wardens say a feeding time, but that doesn't mean what you would assume. It means that the guards unleash these stone panthers on the prisoners, who all like scramble for hiding places, except Kira, who just seems to enjoy like taunting and beating up the panthers. And then there's a scene where one of them is creeping up on Riddick and you think it's gonna eat Riddick, but then all buddy, they end up bonding and Riddick's like scratching him behind the ears and it's adorable.
Speaker 1: Oh and then he belts out another wonderful line of dialogue. Real, oh lord, moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody's looking at him like rough house and having a good time with this panther that was previously eating prisoners, and Riddick just goes, it's an animal thing.
Speaker 1: There's another scene earlier on where they're in they're taking Riddick in on this train and you know, he kills somebody in the way in and you know, and all this and he's tapping his foot and then when they get there, he says to himself something like eight point three kilometers like he's been oh yeah, timing it out. And he's like, ah, Riddick, you're too good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he counted the distance so that he and that'll come in later when they escape. So oh yeah, a Riddic and Kira have to sort of rebond. So there's like a scene where some prison guards are attacking Kira and then Riddick comes to the rescue and runs them off. This is the I'm going to kill you with the tea cup scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he places the tea cup down and has a standoff and then does kill them with the tea cup.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, at first they're like, you're gonna kill me with your soup cup and he goes, it's tea I'm going to kill you with my tea cup, which is nice. And then there's a funny moment where he appears to be threatening them with like the key to open a tunican.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, the whole scene's grown inducing, but when he busts out the tunic can key, I do legitimately laugh, as I think is intended.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we get some backstory with Riddick and Kira. So Ridick was taking care of her back in New Mecca after the first movie, but then he left and he told her to stay there where she was safe, but she went looking for him. She signed up with mercenaries, ended up getting sold into slavery. Now she's here in this prison and she is a crispy prison warrior. Meanwhile, Ridick is like, I went to snow yetti planet to keep the mercenaries who chase me from getting to you. So you made a mistake. So they have tension.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got to work through it. They got to kill a bunch of guards and necromongers and that's hopefully going to bring them back together.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So later the bounty hunters and the prison guards, I'll start shooting each other for some reason. I think they're the warden I think is mad about necromongers snooping around the planet and this caught. This destruction creates the opportunity to allow Riddick and the others to escape. So Riddick and Kira, a group of other prisoners start getting out of there. Toms is left behind in a cage between two alien panthers, screaming ritty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. I think they were originally going to kill off Tunes and he dies in the novelization, but yeah, they clearly were like, this is too good. We got to save this character and hopefully they'll bring him back in the next Critic movie.
Speaker 3: So there's a big action sequence where they're like trying to escape the planet. You know, they're the guards, are taking this tunnel to get to the spaceship to escape, but Riddick and company are running over the surface of the planet before the sunrise catches them and basically just unleashes Napal, these bright orange belches of CGI fire. So they're scampering around in lava channels and over rocks trying to beat the wardens. Ridic does a lot of hopping while he climbs. It's kind of like an uncharted game in here, and there are some ridiculous stunts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean the whole this whole sequence is clearly a huge action set piece for the film, but is also just fundamentally dumb because they are out running the sun. They are out running the horizon. And I remember years and years ago I looked at like somebody like breaking this down about how fast they would have to be running to outrun the horizon line of the sun coming up.
Speaker 3: But wouldn't you know it, when they finally do get back to the ship, here come a bunch of necromongers. They're already there. And so we got Carl Urban with his like football eyeshadow and the Frankenstein flat top and there's Linus Roach looking squirrely scuba mask guys running around. And there's another big action set piece where they're like fighting the necromongers doing a necromonger beat down while the sunrise is just about to explode over the mountains until Vaco shows up and gets the upper hand and then Riddick is basically he's like left there on the runway, you know, to die when the sun hits him.
Speaker 1: There's some great action in this and Vacco gets to bust out some wrestling moves too, like closeline somebody and does a backbreaker move. So this is a this is fun, fun action sequence.
Speaker 3: And Kira sneaks away on the Necromonger ship. So you think, oh, no, is Riddick done for Is he's just going to get bombed by the sun.
Speaker 1: Is this the end of Riddick.
Speaker 3: Nope, he is saved strangely by Linus Roach, the Necromonger priest known as the Purifier, and so he like takes him inside, and then when Riddick wakes up, he delivers a secret message from the Lord Marshall. He's like, okay, Riddick, you just go off somewhere he never come near the Necromongers again, and we won't hunt you. You can just go your own way. And he says, the necromonger in me hopes you stay away, but the fury in in me hopes you won't listen. And then I was like, oh wait a minute, he's fury in too. I guess Ridick is not the only one left after all.
Speaker 1: I guess the rest of the Furians were all either destroyed or converted, and so maybe this is one of the rare examples of a convert because again that the Necromanngers do not believe in procreation. The only way they replenish their ranks is by taking some of the conquered people that are willing to join the ranks, taking them in and then decimating the rest.
Speaker 3: And then he just walks out into the sun and immolates himself.
Speaker 1: Three pretty cool, very goth death.
Speaker 3: So all this is leading up to a final confrontation. Obviously, Riddick takes the ship. He's going to go back to confront the Necromongers, maybe get Kira back. I think that's what he wants to do. The Lord Marshall was not given a good omen by Judy Densch about whether Riddick is still alive or not, so he gets mad. He tells his dudes on heally unprime to begin the ascension Protocol, and they're like, but our dudes are still all over the place, and He's like, I don't care about them ascension protocol now and now whenever I want to leave somewhere, I'm going to be thinking begin the ascension Protocol. But of course Riddick he gets in there. He sneaks onto the ship disguised in necromonger armor. Dame Focco sees him and she tells Voco she you know that. She's like, hey, Riddick's here, and Voco, of course he's very loyal. He wants to go warn the Lord Marshall, but she talks him out of it. So this kind of a scene where they are talking themselves into using Riddick to help kill the Lord Marshall so Voco can take over again big Macbeth energy. They're like, oh, yeah, yeah, it's for the good of the faith.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I mean her her arguments are pretty pretty solid. She's like, look how afraid he is, Like this is weakness. We don't need this kind of weakness heading up the whole movement here.
Speaker 3: But when Riddick gets this shot, there's like a time when the Lord Marshall's back is turned, so he just like jumps out of a balcony with two knives in his hands and he's just diving at him. It doesn't quite get him in that one dive, but it sets up the final battle. So now what else could it be. It's a big final battle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I really love this this final battle. We get the we get the culmination of prophecy and plotting. The sets and costumes are all, of course amazing, and the fight tells the story, which is always something that I think is essential to a solid fight. You know, there's a physical story going on there blow to blow. Also, each character seems to have a believable expectation of his opponent. Each character is fighting the way they're fighting for a reason, Like the Lord Marshall has to has to sort of make a show of his dominance. And Riddick, on the other hand, knows he is severely overmatched here by the holy half dead Lord Marshall, and so he's trying. He i think, on two occasions, tries to end it quickly and sneakily, you know, first with that big flying attack, and then he throws a knife at him later on while he's speaking, you know, so he knows he's got to fight dirty if he's got anything like a shot.
Speaker 3: But then, of course there are interventions, so the Lord Marshall can like teleport, so you know, so Riddick can't beat him alone, but he gets some help from Kira and from Voco.
Speaker 1: Right right, because Kira has like her loyalties tested, she has a change of heart, it seems, but then she's just killed by the Lord Marshall out of hand. Voco, on the other hand, is like, you know, he's being pushed to greatness. You know, there's no way that Voco could take out the Lord Marshall on his own. But if the Lord Marshall is distracted and or injured by Riddick, well, then there's his opportunity. And then it's it's I like the way it plays out, because there's not a real clear sense that you know who's going to win here, or that it's going to end the way that it ultimately does, because ultimately, yeah, there's no way Riddick could win this battle on his own. There's no way Voco could. There's no way Riddick and Voco would ever team up. But the double threat they end up posing to the Lord Marshall here is too much even for his speed and ability. So he can stay one step ahead of anyone, but he can't stay two steps ahead, and so ultimately Riddick pulls off a lucky death below because as Voco is coming to execute the Lord Marshall and claim the throne for himself, Lord Marshall does his shadow teleport thing out of the way to grab a weapon, and that's where Ridick is, and he does a cool kill maneuver where he stabs him to the top of the head with the blade and snaps it off.
Speaker 3: So Ridick gets him instead of Voco. And then you see Lady Vodco. She unleashes the no oh.
Speaker 1: God, and I'm serious, like it is the most like riveting, like you feel that no in your bones. It's this. This is I love these little moments where you get to see an actor take a very what could be very throwaway and forgettable, especially in a genre movie, to see them just really like wrench their guts out and the audience's guts out with that moment.
Speaker 3: And hey, so Ridick, you remember the Necromonger way you keep what you kill, So now Riddick is the Lord Marshall of the Neckromonger Empire. Just turns to Vin Diesel and kneels before him.
Speaker 1: It's i mean rules, his rules.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like a thoroughly you know, conan Esque, over the top grim dark ending where it's like, yep, it looks like our hero did succeed in overcoming the dark evil threat that threatened the universe, but he did so by becoming the head of it. And so it kind of raises the question what kind of Lord Marshall will he be? Will he be completely overtaken by necroism, will he become even worse than that which he opposed, or is there some way that he's going to be able to subvert the movement or is it just going to cause enough chaos at the top of the necro Monger order that it's just going to cause fractures and so forth.
Speaker 3: All great questions. And there is a third movie, but I haven't seen it, so I can't answer them.
Speaker 1: Well, the third movie, like I said, ultimately is a lower budget affair that I get the impression does not go as hard as they wanted to go. Like I bet the second script that's locked up behind that lock, I bet it was as epic as this one and had a lot more Necromonger stuff, and like clearly they like they had to do something a little more stripped down for the third movie. I'm just hoping that that fourth movie brings it back to this Flash Gordon level that that I love.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I think that's all I can say. About Chronicles Ridick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's a there's a lot lot more we could say, there's there's so many there's so many wonderful moments and so many goofy lines. Uh, this film's a lot of fun. So we'd love to hear from everyone out there if you have thoughts on the Chronicles of Ritick or pitch Black or Riddick or any of the various films and actors that we've discussed here. Uh yeah, let us know. We'll talk about it in future episode of Listener Mail. And uh yeah, just a reminder, we're primarily a science podcast here. It's stuff to blow your mind, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you want to complete list of the movies we've covered so far, you can go to letterbox dot com. That's L E T T E R B O x D dot com. Our username there is weird House, and we have a list. You can go through it and look at everything we've covered, including the two movies we've covered from this Century now we're up to too. And I also blog about these films at smut to music dot.
Speaker 3: Com huge thanks to our excellent audio producer, Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.