Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish on First.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Fish on First Live, part of the Foul Territory Network. Eli Sussman, Kevin Barrall, I'm Jeremiah Geiger. Marlins take another series win. They take two out of three from the Saint Louis Cardinals on the road. They're four games under five over five hundred. Couldn't get the sweep today, but still a successful start to a three city road trip. We're gonna break down the series, but also so the focus of today's show, we're gonna be starting to look at some early trade deadline targets because the Fish right now half a game back of the wild Card, their contenders at this point in time, at this point in time, after a terrific month of June. But but as always be going reverse order, We'll start with this series and talk about today's loan loss. In this one, it was a two to one loss, a tough loss. You really wanted to get the sweep, Kevin, but Tyler Phillips, I felt pitched phenomenal and gave his team a real shot to win this one. The Bats just just didn't have enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Phillips, was great. Another way to say it, just I guess one bad pitch. I didn't actually see how gave up the run. I'm assuming it was a two run homer. Yeah, and yeah, you know, tough one. Really another way to put it offense really couldn't get a lot going. I believe it was only four hits on the night or five. Very weird decision there to go with four straight pinch hitters. I don't for merely for one believer to was Ojo Romero, and then you know the last one was I guess you put in Joe macfron Alvaretto, which was a fine move at that point, but I really don't see why you put in Leo Jimenez for Grand Polly and you make all these pinch hits. But you know, at this point you just have to come to live with it. And except that this team is gonna go extremely platoon heavy, splits heavy, whatever you want to call it. And if on in Casey's three for three, they're still gonna bench him. If if there's a lefty on the mound, so uh, you know what. Overall though, you'll take it. The Models are in a position where, if we're gonna talk about it more. But they're gonna have to buy like they have to buy. They're in this point where they're half a game out. They're gonna be probably a little less than that now because the Padres are losing to the Dodgers, So that should at least tie them for that, tie them in with the Padres or put them just ahead of them and the Cardinals. I don't know. I'm not totally convinced that the Cardinals. What I saw wasn't great. Their bullpen is a little interesting. They have some pieces that are good, but they're starting pitching probably isn't the greatest. So that team, I feel like, is going to fall off just a little bit. And we're already seeing some other teams fall off. So but you know what, overall, it is a good series for the Marlins, and shout out grand Poli for the first game comes in and pretty much helps this team out. And yeah, it's good to see that he's kind of he got to go into these last two games back, but you obviously need to see that through a larger sample size and hope that maybe that trip to Jacksonville helped him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some things on Phillips to shout him out seven and a third innings today, he wanted to go even deeper. The Marlins are trying to get him all the way through the game, Like they gave him a couple of batters in that eighth inning, which would have been essentially a complete game because it wasn't any bottom of the night. They were trying to get him that complete game, and they almost did only using Kaid Gibson, really saving the bullpen in a way that's going to be very important for this entire next week. This is the first leg of a three game, three city road trip, and the way that they were able to conserve the bullpen in this series with Phillips in this final game, Max Meyern the series opener, in the way that the bullpen game right in the middle, which was a Ryan Gusto l At bullen game that went so smoothly, like the pen is in very good shape in terms of being available when it comes to coming up moving forward. So not only did they win the series, but did it incredible in terms of run prevention. So that's kind of why you're kicking yourself that they didn't sweep the series. When you hold the team just to throw it up again, three total runs allowed in the series, and yet you somehow lost one of those games. That's gonna be a bit of a frustrating part of it that they weren't didn't get completely done. To hop onto what Kevin was touching on with the pinch hitters, it's one thing to like respect the differences of respect individual matchups and how platooning can give you an important advantage. It just the personnel really does matter. It's not always that a righty is going to be better than a left in this situation, and vice versa when your rights, in particular in this Marlins team still include Brian Navaretto and Leo Jimenez. In this case, he Meantez being I got that actually got a pinch had in this situation. But this Marlins roster is currently constructed, there are a couple weak links that if they're on the bench late in a game, they can't really help you win. All due respect to him, then, is there's really not much he offers this team whatsoever other than being there in case somebody gets injured in the course of the middle of the game. And so's that's a problem with this team. A limitation. I would say that even though they're very good starting wise at almost every position, the bench is still limited. They moved on from Christopher Morel as well, and they sent down Connor Norby, so those were two weak links as well. But I think there's another Leo Hemantez is kind of in that same category where he stuck around as kind of as a placeholder until I guess the team is back at full full strength until a certain prospect maybe breaks through. But I think he is now getting towards the end of his rope at this point. And I don't know, it's not you can't entirely blame Clayton and you can't entirely blame the front offense. It's kind of a mix of both where I don't think that was an appropriate way to use the guys off the bench in that situation. At the same time, if the roster itself is a little bit better, a little bit deeper in terms of guys that can actually make an offensive impact, then you're not in that spot in the first place. So yeah, overall, though, a good series, so don't want to nitpick it too much. Winning series on the road has been hard for this Marlins team. They've won plenty at home, but the fact that they were able to beat a pretty competitive team on the road in this situation. Overall, this was another mini step forward for them.
Speaker 1: That's the one thing I wanted to take away from it too, Like those first two games were like legit games, Like those were fun games. Like it was close for the most partly throughout most of the first game, it was pretty close, and pitching was good. Max Meyer was on it, Like we have to talk about Max, you know, for the go on the bereaven list and come back all of a sudden and do what he did is just kind of like cements it, like this guy should be in Philly representing the Miami MARDINLS in the All Star Game. What would And honestly, if I had to assume, he maybe would have gotten the eighth had there not been a rain delay in there. So he was he was moving quick man, like if it wasn't for that final inning that he was out there. He had won inning where he threw about twenty pitches. He was at sixty six pitches through I think six and then the seventh he really got went a little bit downhill there. He got out of it, but you know, he could have potentially thrown a complete game had he gotten out of that inning. Scotch Free a little bit quicker, but Max Meyer just continues to show, you know that this is legit. What we're seeing out of Max Meyer is legit. It's consistent, and he's been by far the most consistent pitcher the Marlins have had all season long. That that goes for like any starter or reliever. So and they're gonna need it more because now Janson Junk potentially out for a little longer than expected, unfortunately with the yeah hit by a pitch or hit by a drive on the wrist, Yeah, comebacker, So they're gonna need to come on Max. Sandy Yuri shout out to Ryan Gusto. He looked really good too, like surprising, but good for him. And he was fired up too, and he kind of felt like he wanted to go a little bit deeper into the game too. So if you're getting that Gusto by all means. But yeah, no, pitching was great this series. I mean that's the biggest takeaway. The offense got their runs when they had to, like we mentioned with Poly, but those first two games really were fun to watch, like from start to finish, there were good games, and the Marlins showed that, like, hey, they could beat better team teams that are technically ahead of them or have a better record, and they've shown that through this whole run. In June, the Rays, the Nationals at that point they were over five hundred, the Pirates were over five hundred. Like they they're beating good teams. It's not like they're beating bottom of the barrel opponents. They're beating teams that are either right with them or just a little bit of ahead. And that's that's one of the biggest taways, not just for this series but in June as well, and continues to push the narrative like this team should buy in the deadline. I'm not saying go crazy and clear out the farm, but you got to make some moves to address certain spots, which we'll talk about later, where this team needs it. You know, they need bench bats, as the ELI mentioned, they need a third baseman, they could probably use another starter, assuming Junks can be out for a little bit longer, Like they need pieces and they're gonna have to address that at the deadline.
Speaker 2: And then talk about Max Meyer a little bit more on his start. What I was so impressed with was his pitch selection. This is a guy that historically, you know, ever since he came out of the University of Minnesota. Throughout the miners, it was He's gonna throw a slider fifty sixty percent of the time and whatever else is gravy. You know, try to develop that third pitch because the fastball wasn't very good. And now the narrative has kind of started to shift. I I was on this website pitcher list the other day and it was for Fantasy Baseball and they analyzed, you know, what pitcher you should start and whatnot, and someone described Max Meyer his start against the Cardinals, go out and do it because his heater is that good. And I was like, is this the first time that national you know, writer's pundits are noticing Max's development with the fastball because he trusts it now and pitching coach Daniel Moscus trusts it as well. He threw the sweeper thirty nine percent of the time, then it was the four seen fastball at twenty six percent, and then the slider two years ago. Year ago, you don't see that from Max Meyer. That slider was leading the charge each and every time the fastball is a good pitch. It's an objectively good pitch. Now the sweeper is a very good pitch, and of course the slider is so elite that when you have finally come into your own as a pitcher, you've become a complete pitcher where hitters aren't just sitting dead red on the slider anymore. This is the results that are gonna have happen. Two point six year od er and seventeen starts, he's been phenomenal. He should be an All Star. And he's not just been one of the most consistent pitchers for the Marlins, but in the entire National League. He's been that good. I think it's great to see. The only thing for me is just stay healthy, right because this Marlin's rotation is at a point where they really can't afford another injury. The Jansen junk, I was really hoping to have him back because I don't know about you guys, but the Gusto situation, he looked good, but they kind of still treat him as almost an opener where they're not going to give him five innings six innings. That's not going to happen with Gusto. There's still very much a hole in that back half of the rotation, and with Snelling's injury ELI it makes it even more clear to me that this team's going to have to go shopping for a starting pitcher.
Speaker 3: It does, and now, I mean, I guess the silver lining very premature. We haven't gotten a diagnosis yet. Junk was hit on the non throwing hand or non throwing wrist. I should say, so I'll be able to keep his actual throwing arm in shape for however long this setback last. It's just that I think we talked about this when he went down. It's not like he's a Knight in Shining Armor. It's not like if he comes back he's necessarily going to change much.
Speaker 4: He was fine.
Speaker 3: He was better last year than he was at the first half of this year. He has his strength, but the ceiling is just not especially high with Junk. He's not a guy that you depend on to come back and that you think is going to really move the needle for you. If you get him back and you get a slightly better version than we saw the first half of this year, than great at some point.
Speaker 4: But again, yeah, I absolutely agree.
Speaker 3: Where you make plans not really expecting all that much from him, and certainly not trusting Gusto to give you all that much other than one and a half times through the order seems to be the plan with him where that's when they have yanked him the previous couple of times. Good results when he's in there, just not somebody that they trust to go multiple times through a lineup and continue to avoid hard contact.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I'm totally kind of in.
Speaker 3: That camp where they got to that's something seem there was more urgency.
Speaker 4: A few weeks ago. They've they've proved us wrong.
Speaker 3: To be fair, like a lot of these bullpen games have gone better than anybody could have realistically hoped. The fact that they've played their best baseball of the season, one of the best stretches in franchise history the last few weeks is by being so short handed with their rotation. You need to actually tip your cap to this team for sticking with their guys and getting those amazing results. At the same time, that's not going to sustain itself throughout the entire rest of the season. They do have to I think I have to look at a wide variety of arms that are available on the market, and.
Speaker 1: One thing to note too real quick is like Junk wasn't pitching well at all before the injury, Like he was actually the worst pitcher in the rotation at that time. You know, it was between him and Urie, and Uri ended up finally, you know, beginning to look good, but Junk just never really turned it around. So you gotta wonder, you know, are you gonna keep using Junk assuming he's gonna come back and as Eli said, gonna be this Knight and whatever, like he's gonna get shining armor, Yeah, Knight in shining armor. Yeah, Or are you gonna get the junk that he got beforehand? And you're probably gonna go out there and not wave the white flag every fifth day, but begin to be at a disadvantage every fifth day. I think you need to go out and find a starting picture. And I think Junk fits much better than Marlins bullpen than as a starter. I think we saw that last year where he was in this role, where he was a long man out of the pen, and who knows, maybe it's a combo of Gusto and Junk for the short term and maybe it works out kind of like what we saw last year was Calum Junk I'm not saying that's the best option right now, but in the short term, assuming nothing really, assuming junk isn't very much set back, I think you could see that until they decide if they want to go out and find a starting pitcher out in the trade deadline market. And that's one that I know. Robbie Ray's one that Lewis wrote about in an article. We're gonna be dropping here in the next day or two as an option for this team, So that would be pretty cool. That'd be a good option for them, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Robbie, Robbie Ray. For me, I just I don't know if I want to see the Marlin spot. I'd preferably like to see them go with more youth in terms of guys that are approaching the end of their first contract, you know, those arbitration years on teams that are really going nowhere. And that's just because an expiring contract. With Robbie Ray in particular, he's I hate to say, he's just not that good anymore. He's had a couple of good starts, but it's very inconsistent. I don't know how much of a boost he's realistically going to give this rotation and that's an organizational philosophy that hasn't been tested yet. This Marlins team hasn't bought, so we don't know if they're gonna try to get guys with a couple years of control at the major league level, or a rental or a mixture of both. But we're going to continue to talk about pitching targets, trade deadline targets as a whole. Right after this from our friends over at sea Geek.
Speaker 5: With over thirty five million downloads, seageek is the number one rated ticketing app and krats. There are many many baseball games on the inventory to check out all summer long. This is the season now, it is baseball baseball season. Not many other options for you sports wise. I know you can go anywhere you want to go with Seakeek. There's so many tickets to choose from, but baseball's center stage now for the next couple months.
Speaker 6: School's out, I'm going to watch some baseball games, some big league games, all in my area, and I want to know exactly what it looks like.
Speaker 1: And I also want the best deal, So I'm looking for the green, not the red.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: The green hooks you up with the best deals on the app. Of course, we have the code it's Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB ticket with the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll download the app if you don't have it already, and you'll have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use that code later. Thank you, seek.
Speaker 4: Robers a good moment.
Speaker 3: Just to just to finish the conversation on robb Ray today, shut out today one unearned run, so yeah, eight and zero earned runs against the Braves Lowers is Zra to three three nine and again that he's striking out less guys than usual this year. The results have been pretty good. But you guys touched on the other elements where a rental a pretty expensive rental as well, so the money would be an interesting factor there. And just in his age thirty four season, but yeah, we can now hop into a bunch of other guys that kind of fall into that category.
Speaker 1: He's having an awesome month of June though he has a one three six ra thirty three innings, but he's thrown back the bad games of eight innings like shutout too well, both of them with one unearned run. Funny enough, but he's thrown three straight games of shutout baseball by when you look at the earned runs, like the guy who's gonna give you some innings, he's gonna get outs. I don't hate it. Like I know it's on the older side, and I think that's what you're gonna have to target, some older guys, because guys who are on an expiring contract or maybe have one more year left or a team option. You know, that's what you're gonna have to target. As much as I would love talking about the targets, I am super like curious to see how they attacked, how the Marlin specifically attack this from up from a prospect standpoint, and how Peter attacks this trade deadline. How will he value his players, how will he value his prospects? Well, who's the untouchables? Who are the guys that he feels he could maybe cash in on right now? Right that's the biggest question here, And how willing he's going to be to move on from guys and how much he really believes in this team at the end of the day. You could go out and you could say, I think this team's gonna win. I think we were gonna try to win every single day.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 1: But if if you really believe it, you'll go out, then you'll make the big moves that could go to go do that? Will Peter do that? I don't know, And I think that's one of the biggest questions that comes up with this trade deadline.
Speaker 2: It truly is a mystery because this team hasn't been under the Bendix era in this position before the last time they were in a position to buy was twenty twenty three under Kim Ang.
Speaker 4: We know what they did.
Speaker 2: They got a couple of bats, traded away their former number one draft pick and Khalil Watson to do so, but they were very aggressive. It paid off in the sense that they made the playoffs, but that front office regime quickly dispersed and we all know what happened. It was a terrible year the next year. So too, I can't wait to see what Bendix does because when I look at this team, how many untouchable prospects are there really in this system? And that's the question I have in my mind. I think Thomas White Robbie Snelling untouchable. I think you look at a guy like Iva Arquette, Carson mill Brandt.
Speaker 4: Then I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because there's there's teams that would be lining up to get these guys in their system, and you could get a younger, more controllable major league piece, whether that's a Redebt Merse from the from the Angels, who I think would be a great addition because of the two additional years of control. But I want to ask you, Eli and and you as well, Kevin, is there guys that stand out to you where you're just like, no matter what, the Marlins aren't going to trade these these players.
Speaker 3: I think you actually described it pretty well because as we're kind of preparing to update our fof Top thirty prospects list, it was pretty simple. Why it is still number one for us, Robbie Stilling still number two, and then there's a lot of different directions you could go with number three, And I think that just reflects that there is that is a different tier, that it is a different tier of building block player. Once you get past number two, there are several guys having amazing years. The one at the top of mind is cam Canerella. He's just been absolutely spectacular at first at high A, and he's kept it going, if not elevated his game a little bit more since the promotion at Double A. The numbers are off the charts for a guy that is also going to stick in center field and his pedigree like later during the middle of his college career, I think a lot of people would put him in this kind of category of a potential foundational player for an organization. It's just been a real It's still a small sample size at the pro level. There's still some limitations to his game, and the power department hasn't been really using his legs to steal bases. Like without going too deep into one particular guy, I think you could pull coals into everybody else aside from those top two. Carson Milbrandt statistically amazing year, but ever since that promotion to TRIPAA, the control issues that kind of held him back his entire career to this point have turned their head again. Where you can he has not solved for that yet. That is still a very big question for him when it comes to being a long term starting pitcher. So I think to answer your questions, distinctly. I really do think there are no untouchables among the prospects outside those top two. It's more so we want to be really creative. Is how many untouchables are there on the major league roster? I wouldn't move in this situation, like we were talking about Jacob Marcy entering this year, a guy that is really not helping them win too many games this year despite how valuable he was as a rookie, Like, is that a guy that would be in a creative significant piece of like a big trade that you make. And I think all the other relatively young pre ARB and R player even well most almost everybody's pre ARB among the position players on this Marlin's roster, that it's a question of how many of them are definitely locked in. You feel like Otto is locked in that the way that Kyle Stowers has hit the last month or so.
Speaker 4: He's locked in.
Speaker 3: But then there's a lot of these other moving pieces that are I think are interesting variables and comes to what they would trade. But yeah, that being said, on the prospect side, they a lot of players are having good years. But I would say that they if they are motivated to do so, that I wouldn't really be shocked to see almost anybody traded outside of Thomas White Robbie Snelling.
Speaker 1: I look at it like this, Thomas White and Robbie Snelling are by far the untouchable, and looking at our list specifically like the Frank Lewis and Caba and Arquette, I think those guys are on the unlikely like those are unlikely. Now you look at it from like Alderman, Head, mill Brandt, probably Canderella, Covid Like like those guys, I could see them getting moved. I don't know about Canerella. They really like him and they really liked him coming out of the draft clearly to take him even with the doubts of you know, the the shoulder injury or whatever. It was like he's a guy who has been really good, like really really good. Milbrand is the one who great like he's broken out. Now can he sustain that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: Can he do that?
Speaker 1: Because the first couple of years of Carson Millbrand I know a lot of changes went into why he is what he is this season, But can he be up middle to front end starter in a rotation?
Speaker 4: Probably not.
Speaker 1: He's probably like a middle to low to like four or five in a rotation right now. For the Marbles, he's a four or five so or three, like that's the three, So I don't know that's a guy. I could definitely see them trying to capitalize and cash in on as soon as possible. It also depends who's out there in the trade market, Like I wouldn't do that for a reliever, Like if you're gonna make a trade, I think realistically you got to look for bats and a starting pitcher. I don't think there's any need to add relievers to this team. Maybe one just just in case, but like, yeah, from a prospect standpoint, I think anyone's on the table. As Eli said, I'll just categorize it on untouchables and then like the unlikely category, which is like for us like three through like six or seven on the on the prospect rankings, the current one that we have up right now.
Speaker 2: And I think it's important to understand too when it comes to handling prospects. There's there's those fans, those people that just want to prospect hoard, you know, like we're not gonna trade from this group the top ten, top fifteen or whatever. But there's organizations that go into a season expecting to compete, expecting to buy and then use a good farm.
Speaker 4: System as trade ships.
Speaker 2: They know what they have and going into the year, they say, hey, if the right offer is available, he's not gonna ever play for us at the major league level. He's gonna be used as trade bait. And I think when it comes to controllable assets at the major league level, I wouldn't have a problem if it meant getting guys with two to three years to two years of team control minimum before they hit that you know, unrestricted free agency period, because at that point you're cashing in on an unknown lottery ticket like Iva Arquette. He might be a perennial All Star, he might not be. We don't know. That's just how the nature of the draft works. It's how the nature of farm systems work. And I'm of the opinion that that's kind of how a competitive team should operate. They should use their prospects as trade chips. Now, does that mean being like aj Preller and just throwing caution to the wind and sending everybody out to another team. No, not necessarily. But to Brian's comment here, like twenty three, this farm system is in an infinitely better spot than it was back then. The twenty twenty three team did not have the talent, so when they made those trades, it was gut it already. I mean, Jake Eaterer was a top ten prospect for goodness sake. This team has an organization, has a much deeper farm system to be able to trade from right.
Speaker 3: I brought that common up just because I think this is a good time to review the actual prospects they traded. They did relatively go all in with the prospects that they had available, but it wasn't much. And just to off the top of my head checking in on the guys that they traded away at the deadline in twenty three to go for it the headline, I guess the biggest prospect at the time overall was well, in terms of prospect value, it was Jake eater in that Burger trade, and Eaters made it to the big leagues, but he's been on the waiver wire the last couple of years. He's a he's exactly what. He's a replacement level, low leverage reliever who's currently the Dodger system hasn't really materialized into much of anything in terms of actually winning games. The biggest name, the most polar rising one was Khalil Watson. They included him with Jeene Segura and the salary dump to get Josh Bell, and Watson just made it to the big leagues. Like this past week has put up very good numbers in the upper miners, but there is underlying strikeout issues.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 3: Used to be a shortstop and now he's more of a corner outfielder. So we'll see how that goes. Like. The jury is still out on Watson as a big leaguer, but more likely than that he's gonna be a part time player and one who is gonna have some severe limitations in terms of just making contact and getting on base. They traded I remember Marco Vargas, Marco Vargas and Ronald Hernandez. I remember Alex Carver being quite high on Ronald Hernandez at the time. And those guys, I don't even need to check they're they're not there. I don't even know if either of them are in the Mets system right now. If they had, their careers have stalled quite a bit.
Speaker 4: That was nothing.
Speaker 3: They traded those two guys to get David Robertson. I remember it felt like an overpay at the time, and that's like it kind of looks like a lose lose trade. You know, the Marlins weren't too happy with Robertson, but the Mets aren't going to get anything out of that side of the deal, even though those guys looked very promising as teenagers when they were in the Complex League. And I think that covers most of it in from the actual prospect capital that they parted with at the time, where it really at the time, it did feel like it hurt them.
Speaker 4: It did put them in that situation that.
Speaker 3: Made their outlook look so gloomy that they were willing to part ways with Kim Ng and look for somebody else to rebuild that system. So those are both sides of it where you don't I would be very surprised to see them dealing that many notable prospects at a time this time around. But the thing is they do have higher quality players available where they could trade a smaller number of them, and if they are going to do so, that would bring back guys that could really change the ceiling of this current team here.
Speaker 4: And now.
Speaker 2: The other aspect of that when it comes to trading Kevin mentioned this earlier, is we kind of know what they need already. It's not bullpen, it's not the middle endfield. I would argue you don't really need a first baseman, depending how you feel with Kyle Sowers moving there, which I'm kind of for the experiment. As long as he hits and can play adequate at first base and catch the ball, maybe that's a move that's permanent. For me. It's third base, and it's the rotation. And when I look at a third base trade chips around Major League Baseball, there's a couple that come to mind. Number One, Matt Chapman. Matt Chapman in San Francisco. San Francisco is not going anywhere. Now here's the question, do you want to take on salary? Because he does have a very expensive contract. San Francisco is going to be wanting prospects capital in order to offset the salary if the Giants pay for it, or does Miami take on some payroll. And that's another aspect of this trade deadline that they're going to have to work around when it comes to these expiring contracts or more expensive rentals, is how much prospect capital are you going to pay in order to buide that salary because right now the Marlins are in a pretty good position to take on some payroll. I think that's been the story for the last few years, to be quite honest with you. There's another player. I don't know if he'll be available, but again we're talking about this a month away, and it just lines up for me with where the Marlins are going as an organization with this current window. And that's Josh Young of the Texas Rangers. Controllable has two more additional years of control. He's been really good this season, hitting two ninety three eight bombs, thirty one RBIs ops, approaching eight hundred, and he's having the best season of his career. Now, does Texas feel like they're in a position to they themselves buy at the deadline? That Al West is very tight. Maybe, but let's say they lose, you know, go on a losing streak here. I know they just swept Toronto, but again, anything can happen. Miami could go in and get their third baseman for the next two years and forget about it, set and forget. And that's kind of what I want to see is controllable players where it's not just a rental because so many times rentals just don't work out. I mean, look at Seattle with you Hennios Frez, he just wasn't good after he moved on from Arizona and then signs elsewhere. So what do you guys feel about potentially getting Josh Young and just him being the third baseman of the foreseeable future because he's cheap, he's affordable, and it's what.
Speaker 1: The Marlins would need real quick. With Chapman, I don't think many people know this. Matt Chapman has a no trade clause. So regardless of the Marlins have the capital they want to take on the money, Matt Chapman has to say he wants to be a Miami Marlin. The likelihood of that happening, I would have to him was pretty low right now. Although and he's really like offensively, he just has not been great. He got off to a terrible star, then he really heated up, which really boosted up the numbers. And he's kind of in this weird spot you know right here, and when jung with Josh Young, like it's another weird guy because like you noted, two years of control Young, play good player. I think this is one where you just have to wait and see if they want to move on and if they even have someone in the minor leagues ready to kind of either replace him or they think they have someone ready there that will take up that spot. Because if, as you mentioned, two years of control, this is a pretty high draftic. If I recall from the Rangers back in the time, back when they did make the selection, this is a good player they really like. I'm sure they like him. I believe they actually hit a home er in the series against the Marlins like this is this is a good option, but it'll definitely be a lot more on the prospects side than what I would think, like a Matt Chapman would do. I think the two names that I'm gonna mention real quick, he's not good. There you go, you sak Peretti's he lie lines up perfectly. One year deal, one year left on the deal. He has a club option for twenty twenty seven. So if the models say, hey, let's just ride out the year, see what happens, they're not. You know, he was fine, but they don't want to take on. I think it's like thirteen million for the next year. They could just decline it and that's it. That's it, move on and that's it. You know how to do the payroll. He slid player definitely add some juice to the lineup, which you really need. I think anytime you can add power to the line if you do it. He's not striking out a lot either, he's walking a lot too. I like Perettis defensively, he won't provide too much value there, but I think sometimes you could just sacrifice the defense to gain more offense, and that's what Paritis would be doing. He could play a little bit of first base. He could fill out the dhrol if ever needed. So I think people need to know this, like the Marlins at third base the season offensively are the worst team in baseball. It's like a forty something WRC plus. It probably went down, Actually it probably went up because Grandpaly helped you out this weekend. But the other nam I'll mention is Eli brought this from up and I'll let Eli talk more about this. JB. Crawford of the Mariners, the Marriagers aren't in no position to sell, but but they currently have this guy named Cole Emerson playing shortstop, which is shift. JP Crawford over the third base, and Brendan Donovan is coming back, so it's it's a little bit of a weird spot. Crawford's not making a lot. I think he's only making twelve million dollars this season, and the Martins obviously won't have to pay the whole thing, And I think it would be a low cost guy like you don't have trade a lot. He walks a lot, gets on base, doesn't really steal a lot of bas it's actually do just barely steal, which I was surprised to see when I looked at it. But you can hit for some power and he's an everyday player, so I think that'll be a solid option. So so those are the two third basement I was thinking. Obviously, Chapman is the one that comes to mind, but again he has to accept the trade to Miami to even make that possible.
Speaker 3: Right, So, as much as it is fun to dream about these guys that are both good and controllable for multiple years, just history says that those guys rarely get moved at the deadline. You could, you could take it out, especially if you look beyond more than two years of control. It's almost unheard of for those guys to move just because of the all the ramifications of those decisions that he usually waits until the off season. It's it's why like when Juan Soto gets traded, it's one of the craziest events ever transactionally, and there have been a few since then, where like the Rafael Devers one was fair polarizing, where it was a guy that theoretically was in his prime, he had all these years of control. He was just so expensive at the time, and a guy that doesn't traditionally age as well as you'd probably want. Where there was enough risk involved in that to kind of push it over the finish line, and that got some point where both teams early on seem to be regretting that particular trade. Just doesn't happen very often with that, which is why my focus goes very modestly to those who are pending free agents, like JP Crawford, who I think, just to emphasize what Kevin was mentioning, I think he barely have to give up much of anything at all for a guy to especially if you take on the rest of his money. I think his salary this year is twelve million, so at this I want to get to the deadline, it's only going to be less than four million so left for this year, which even for the Marlins is a very managuable sum for a guy that, aside from being adaptable to play third base and aside from being just consistently very disciplined at the plate, has he can move over to shortstop if anything, God forbid, goes wrong with Otto Lopez. I mean, think about it right now. If Otto he's been playing a actually every single game this year, and what happens if he gets hurt?
Speaker 4: What would they do?
Speaker 3: I guess it'd be very reliant all of a sudden on Javiers and Oha. The options in Triple A are not particularly good right there for a team that I think has to be not only thinking about improving as an overall team, but also needs to make sure that they have the depth to weather any sort of injury setbacks to any position as a year goes on. I don't think they're really well set up right now to handle an injury to Auto in particular, and so getting somebody like Crawford would really help with that. And maybe you give up one of your top thirty prospects in that kind of trade. That again, that's the benefit of trading for pending free agent, a guy who's a little bit past his prime in the process, but still does enough things well that you can see a scenario where for a couple months at a time he has a three point fifty on base percentage and provides a win or a win and a half in value and actually makes a difference in a playoff push. In the comments, somebody brought up even a more modest version of that, au Henio Suarez, who just last year he was one of the sexiest names on the He was the sexiest third basement the market last year, if not one of the sexiest trade candidates overall last year when he ended up hitting forty seven, forty nine home runs, whatever it was, and he was on an even better pace with the d decks before the trade deadline. And this year he's a very volatile player, has seen this year where he's having one of the worst years of his career offensively. But that's the kind of guy that, given his track rider is very recent track record of being one of the preeminent sluggers in all of baseball. I don't think you can overlook that, especially at the Reds fade. They're in this position where I think it's more likely than not that they're going to be sellers. It's a little too early to.
Speaker 4: Say either way.
Speaker 3: The same exact same scenario as Josh Young, where I think it's he could really go either way in terms of his availability. But Suarez, because of how much he's struggling this year and because of the fact that there's no control of him beyond this year, that's a guy that would be available. That's a guy that, for what it's worth, has the certain intangibles, a guy that I think has an amazing reputation as a teammates, and he has been a part of a lot of contending teams.
Speaker 4: In the past.
Speaker 3: I don't want to totally overlook him in that discussion either. And then ultimately we spent a lot of time on third baseman. But it is worth mentioning that, yes, granm paully just got called up and when his last season falled a very similar cycle where it didn't hit early on, got sent down to Jacksonville, came back up and just was a very good all around player for the middle of last season. So when you make this trade, we just want to feel pretty confident that whoever you're bringing in is going to be an upgrade over that. I'm of the opinion that they should invest in some other third baseman. It's just that I can also see the other side of it, just not having too short of a memory and thinking back to what we thought about Grand Polly at essentially this time last year, when he was playing third on a pretty consistent basis and doing well both offensively and defensively. Like, I'm open to hearing the other side of that that maybe, even though the other to this point in the season, third base has been a big weakness, but maybe Paully is not the worst possible. Sticking with Paully necessarily isn't the worst thing in the world if they don't get the value of one for any of these trade candidates.
Speaker 2: And I think last year, if you had told me that Grand Pauli was going to continue the trajectory he would be for this season compared to last season, I would have been fine with Pauli being the name at third base. In the offseason, I said the same thing. I wanted Grand Paula to be the starter because his defense was so elite.
Speaker 4: Last year.
Speaker 2: Now, remember, teams value that at the hot corner. Actually, Cincinnati made a trade at the deadline with the Indivision rival for the Pirates Geek to acquire key Brian Hayes, who notoriously has been elite defensively at the hot corner, but he can't hit at all.
Speaker 4: And then there.
Speaker 2: Came a year this year in particular, where the glove finally started to slow down and the bat was so bad. Reds fans are saying, get this guy off the team, but they traded for him at the deadline last year to try to make a playoff push because that left side of the infield was so bad. So for me, I thought, okay, if Grand PAULI can play elite defense, whatever happens with the bat, I'll take. Kind of like Joe Mack. He's there for his defense. As long as he hits semi enough, you're gonna be happy with him. He's gonna be a positive war player. And that has not been the case with Polly defensively this year.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The playing time has been inconsistent, but the metrics indicate he just isn't the level of defender that he was last year and that I expected him to be coming into this season. Because if he was, I'm of the opinion that you that you just can ride it out with Polly and you know, hope the bat makes progress because he could. He does get in these hot streaks and real quick. ELI wanted to mention with you, Hennio Scorrez. He does have a mutual option next year, but it's for fifteen million dollars or sixteen million dollars. And then you look at the metrics behind his bat. If he's not hitting for power in Cincinnati like Miami, would be even worse. I mean, his power has dropped off significantly, whereas last year he was a forty eight, forty nine home run guy. I know it was in Arizona, but I would have felt more comfortable not for Thomas White.
Speaker 4: Though not for Thomas.
Speaker 2: White for the record, but Uhennios Los last year was a much more attractive option than he is this season. In particular, just because the power, which has been his calling card his entire career, it seems like it's just kind of falling off. He's not hitting the ball hard. So yeah, it's been a weird development to see Suarez, of all people in Cincinnati struggle in the power department.
Speaker 1: One name I want to mention on the pitching side, and this would how like this could be a conversation we'd have towards the end of July if if the Diamondbacks continue to slip away. They're currently three games out of it, so and that and that that three games continues to become a little bit more now or means more. But Michael Soroka would be a great option for this one. So I mean's on an expiring contract. He's been actually really good, Like this is like the Soroka that the braid that we saw with the Braves. He has a three zero r, a two nine to four FIP. He's barely walking anybody, the lowest walk walk per nine of his career. You know. Like he's a good, solid pitcher and if they need pitching, that's the guy to go after. And I think this is the guy who's been moved so many times already. He goes with the Cubs. I believe he got traded to the Nationals at one point or signed with the Nationals. Something happened there. So I don't know, I think that's a solid option. I don't think it's one that's actually been brought up yet. The only other name I'd mentioned on the reliever side of the Marbins were to ever actually commit money to one, would be Luke Weaver. That dude's been nasty as hell this year. I think it's unlikely. That would also have to be like you're thinking about twenty twenty seven, assuming Fairbanks wouldn't return to the Marrow, and so that's the kind of reliever salary that you put on there. It's very similar to Fairbanks. You'd be making twelve million, Fairbanks just making one million more. So that's the only the name I threw out there. But Sorok I would like on the starting pitching side. I know Lewis wrote about Robbie Ray. Let's be very clear, no Joe Ryan, no Trek Scoogles. You will never hear those names after I just mentioned them. But they're they're gonna need to find something out in the trade deadline as a starter. I know Steth Lougo Waka are also two names that could be other potential options for this team. We'll definitely find out more, I think within the next two weeks during the All Star break where the Marnins really stand because it's not easy from here. The four against the Rockies, and you never know what happens in course field. Then you have to play a team in the as that they could hit man, they could hit for power. And then after that it's it's Seattle and Cleveland, two very good teams. So it's it's this is a super important stretch here right before the All Star break.
Speaker 2: We're gonna continue to wrap up this conversation about the trade deadline and then preview the Rocky series. Marlin's head over to Colorado for four but quickly, this message from our friends at FanDuel.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans, the MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dinger. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot Com Slash podcast To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: There's a name I want to mention before we talk about the Colorado Rockies series that I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone mention really in the last couple of weeks once the Marlins started this hot streak. He is an impending free agent on a team that has just gotten swept. I know they were expected to be contenders, and that's the Toronto Blue Jays. The Toronto blue Jays are having a down year and they could consider selling. Kevin Gosman is a free agent after this year. He's an impending free agent, would be a rental, and I know there's some inconsistency with his game. He can have eight shutout, he could go six and give up seven runs. There's a lot of you know mixed results, but I think it's fair to say that's he would be a huge boost to this particular rotation what the Marlins need, and he wouldn't cost a ton. I mean, he would cost a couple prospects, but because of his contract situation. I just wanted to get your thoughts on gosman Eli before we move on.
Speaker 3: I think as a player, I do like him quite a bit, and his durability has been under the radar, inspiring the last for so much of his career. Ever since signing with Toronto. Maybe he hasn't been on the IL. I don't think a single time during all of his years there. This wrapping up his fifth year now, and he's a guy that goes without saying now. Has some high quality playoff experience, including last year as deep a run as they went on, he was pretty integral to them getting that far. He made six appearances in five starts during that playoff run. He is an older pitcher where even though you have an amazing track record a durability, he kind of have that reputation until you don't like very Suddenly that can that narrative can flip on you. So it makes me a little bit nervous there, except for the fact that, as you mentioned, it's no strings attached beyond this year. That this is a situation where it's to me, it's desirable to have a player like this who's about to be a free agent, because you don't want to be on the hook for a very big number, a guy that makes about twenty two million dollars a year. You don't be on the hook for that for any full season if you're the Marlins. Just knowing how limited the resources are as a whole with him, the other pretty big factor.
Speaker 4: Actually, i'll correct myself right here.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say that he would have like ten in five rights that as a player that had spent ten years in the big leagues and five with his current team, he'd be have full no trade protection. So the thing is he hasn't spent five fold years of the Blue Jays yet he's in the middle of that fifth year, so he is in that sweet spot where it's kind of out of his hands in order to make that deal. At the same time, as bad as the Blue Jays have been relative to expectations, I don't think they're gonna throw in the towel. Part of that is just because of how mediocre all the American League is. Like I can double check right now things are going there for the blue Jays. Two and a half back of a wild card spot for the blue Jays right now, So.
Speaker 4: The record is hideous.
Speaker 3: At the same time, there's no there's nobody pulling away in the AL. I mean, we kind of can say that about the National League too, but it's even more extreme in the AL, where that their roster is still really talented. They themselves if they're going to get back into it. I know that they've had a series of starting pitching setbacks, so I think that's kind of the area where they're least likely to trade away. I think it is worth bringing up, really any of these any pending for agent on a team that's significantly worse record wise than the Marlins are right now. Like, I think it's totally fine to bring him up. I just think it's a long shot that they move him in this situation, as as bad as things have been for them recently.
Speaker 2: Kevin, any thoughts on the trade deadline before we talk about the Rockies.
Speaker 1: Here, Yeah, I mean with Gosman, it kind of goes back to like the Soroka thing. You're gonna have to wait maybe a couple more weeks to really make a full on assessment there. And I find it hard that the Blue Jays will sell they're I think they have good players, You're good enough team. Every team runs into a bad patch of games or losing straight. We saw that with the Marlins earlier this season. A lot of teams go through this. I'm sure they'll bounce back and they'll be in a better position. It's a little tough for obviously now because the Rays are in there and the Yankees have been really good this year, So those are somethings to keep in mind. But I think at the end of the day, I think we're not gonna make a great assessment on this situation until like two weeks from now, until we're in the All Star break. We're I think we could finally start saying like, hey, like here we go, this is this is real now, Like it feels real at the moment because the Marlins are a really good spot and the Padres just lost too, So now they're tied with the Padres uh and the standings like exactly tied with the five twenty four one percentage so not just a matter of waiting and seeing what happens and seeing how everything plays out. Although I will say the National League is kind of beginning to take more shape than the American League. So I think if you're gonna start working the phones, you start with the National League teams like the Rock He's the Giants, the Mets, Shoot, the Diamondbacks are gonna get there soon. One name I would love to mention really quick, I don't know exactly what contract situation it is, really quickly get third base Nolan Arenaw. It's kind of like rejuvenated himself with the Dimonbacks. I don't know that's still the case, but you know, it would be like a nice little cool thing for him. He again, he would have to accept the trade to the Marlins, so that makes it a little bit tougher. But he is a Cuban American or son of Cuban parents, so I guess somewhat cool there. But you know, he's he's all. He's been a great Defender's old care No, definitely help on the defensive, and I don't know exact what the offensive numbers look like, but yeah, exactly So yeah.
Speaker 3: For a minute, are not was looking great offensively when in like the middle of May, the middle of April, late April, early May, and now he's kind of back more or less to who's been the past couple of years with Oh, I.
Speaker 4: Don't I don't think so.
Speaker 3: That's another guy where you're relying a lot on the intangibles and depending on how you value his defense. Not a crazy thing again, just to I think one thing we should really underscore is that, especially if you get a right handed hitter, I think that is specifically a good fit for this team. Like today's game kind of being underlining the lack of quality right handed hitting options that they have either on the bench or to platoon in certain situations. So whenever it's a right handed hitter, I'm going to give them like extra consideration. That's kind of why I brought up Suarez despite his bad year. That's why I think even are not despite being very clearly in decline at this point, is I think that would make a more well rounded roster. You're just looking for a right handed hitter that can offer more than Leo Jimenez. Don't mean to continue picking on him, It's just that now he kind of does stick out like a sore thumb in terms of the weakest link on this roster, and if they could get any third baseman, any even a variety of positions that is, a right handed hitter that has either more power or more speed or more of both. It's really not that rare to find a guy with potentially more of both than Jimenez than I think that's just a there's a wide variety you guys available that can fit that very that can clear the Jimenez threshold. So to me, that is in addition to starting pitching.
Speaker 4: We touched on that.
Speaker 3: I think that continues to be that'll have to be the priority, especially if there's I think, no matter what at this point, it's it's clear that they're going to need one more starter of some kind that they can trust to eat endings down the stretch. That those are really the two buckets that I look at, starting pitchers and any sort of right handed hitter.
Speaker 1: And really quick like the Nation, I say that the National League's beginning to take shape, because like three games out at this point is quite a bit. You have to jump one, two, three, four teams, including the two at the top, you know, the second and third wildcard team because those aren't. I don't think those are locks by any means yet. I think the Phillies at this point you may as well just say that they are going to be the first wildcard and who knows, maybe even fighting for the Braves or the division title at this point. So, uh, three games out feels like a little a good bit and Diamonds have lost three straight. Pirates and Natch are the two teams that you have to kind of look out for and see, like, let's see what happens here within the next couple of weeks. But the Marlins aren't a really good spot to where they could say, hey, let's let's go out here, let's get a starting pitcher, let's get a third basement, maybe want two bats and a starter, and see what happens.
Speaker 2: The next stop for the Marlins on this road trip, it's a rare, rare occasion where you play a game every single day. This week they're going to Course Field for four game set against the Rockies. Old friend Troy Johnston gets to see him again, and guys, he's heaving himself a hell of a year. He's second in Major League Baseball in doubles with twenty two. Right Pye Roffee Devers hitting three point fifteen ops comfortably in the eight hundreds, and now he's played in a lot of games Troy but gets pinch hit for a lot, so just two hundred and fifty at bats, but it's still a really good number for a player that just the Marlins didn't want to give him a shot. They let him go. The Rockies picked him up, and they have some pieces eli this Rockies team. They're not good by any means. They're thirty three and fifty one, they're gonna finish last in the in the National League West. But offensively they have some real standout players.
Speaker 4: You have TJ.
Speaker 2: Rumfield, who's played a lot for them. They're catcher Hunter Goodman, who's an absolute power threat. He's on track to hit around forty home runs, if not more. He's and he's hurt the Marlins historically throughout his young career. This Rockies team, you can't go into coors Field and just expect to walk all over for them, because again, this is an offensive ballpark with a lot of offensive, offensively minded players. It's gonna be a fun series.
Speaker 3: A fun series. I'll mention it now, I'll reierate it. Later before predicting time. That is a four game series, the first four game series in a while for this team. So that's I guess Marlins fans their first instinct is that's a blessing because you're playing as many games as possible against a team that has one of the very worst records in the majors.
Speaker 4: That seems good.
Speaker 3: As you laid out, they are better than they were last year. The last season they were a team that flirted with the record for losses in a single season and so many games that were just completely non competitive and then got blown out. So that's really the difference between last year and this year is that they're competitive in almost every single game. Occasionally they're starting pitching really sinks them early on, but more often than not they are still alive in these later endings. They do have some legit lineup depth. Troy's as a big part of that kind of as you alluded to, they are platooning him pretty strictly, so they are kept managing him very much like the Marlins did, where it's somewhat unusual for him to play an entire game start to finish just because once a left he comes in to face him they'll usually go to the bench and look for somebody else, and if there's a LEFTI starting the game, then he often won't be in there in the first place. You would think this is a good series for him because the Martins don't have any lefty starters, so he could be in the lineup for all four of these upcoming games. A revenge series against a team that gave him the first opportunity in the big league level, but it was a very belated opportunity. They really made him earn it down in the minors and bide his time before finally getting called up.
Speaker 4: So it just happen to see him succeed.
Speaker 3: Not the star of this team you mentioned him already, Goodman is the one that really sticks out where he had a great year last season and now I think just recently a three home run game that now puts him well ahead of even that pace. Right now, he's he's like a very legitimate All Star at a time where the catcher position is kind of wide open across baseball, Like he's kind of staking his claim to being in the conversation for best of that position with how well he is offensively.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as a team overall, though, they're still pretty limited. Again. It goes back to that starting pitching thing. Relatively weak.
Speaker 3: There's not a single starter that you could comfortably say is even an average quality starter that they have in their rotation right now. So that's kind of the Marlins coming off a series where they didn't do particularly good offensively, this should be a get right series for their bats. As a team that puts a lot of balls in play to begin with. Then I'll go into a ballpark that rewards balls and play more than any other in course field. So this is going to be a very different type of series in the previous one. I think the Marlins are gonna win it. It's because they're averaging six seven runs a game at a minimum against Colorado in.
Speaker 1: The one Rockies pitcher that actually been really good for them, Chase Dolanders not for the year, so they're in a good spot. The Marlins are going into the course really quickly with Troy like, it's not like the course field effect where he's only hitting at home, like he has seven to seven the ops on the road and he's playing right now and he he already has an RBI, so I'm assuming he was a sack fly because he struck out twice. No, no, he has a two hit day, so good day for Troy on a Sunday. So yeah. And then he doubles on me, Chuck, Uh No, no, doubles, two singles, an RBI and two strikeouts. He must have played the whole game because clearly he put up a good amount of the bats. But uh, they'll get to I guess face former pitching coach alone like Himan, although it hasn't been a very good run for him over there so far, that they would be worst starting pitching the r A in baseball, and they are. They have the third worst Bullpenny r in baseball. I thought they had finally like solved a little bit of this pitching issue, but it seems like it really hasn't. They got off to like such a good start pitching, But I guess when you have like who do you who? Do they even have like Tomoyuki Suganas over there.
Speaker 4: With their pitching.
Speaker 2: The wheels have just completely fallen off this season for Kyle Freeland. Freeland has been a rocky for he's a but you look at the numbers. Fourteen starts, seven point five ERA opponents are hitting three to nineteen against him, and that's better than Michael Lorenzen, where opponents are hitting three thirty eight against Michael Lorenzen. I mean, they are getting absolutely crushed. And the good news for the Fish is that you are gonna face both of them. According to Fangraft's probable rotations. Of course, nothing's set in stone, but it looks like Freeland will start that second game and Lorenzen will start that Thursday Day game for for the Rockies. But yeah, this is a chance for Miami where they can go in and three out of four for me, at least is the minimum. If you're the Marlins at this point in the season, you gotta win three out of four minimum if you If you split, that's disappointing to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Freelan is starting the second game. It's a TBD for game one, and then for the third game it's Max Yukisugan know, and the Thursday, the finale, it's gonna be Michael lorenzom so so they have to in the Marins. At the TVD, I just realized Sandy and Yurie are pitching in this series. Oh boy, I don't know how to feel about that. Two guys who well one guy who relies off the ground ball quite a bit. So we'll see and then we'll see where the Urie. I don't know how these guys actually pitched in Colorado. I think Yuri has I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I definitely, off the top of my head, remember a terrible Sandy starting course back in the day. But he, I mean, over all these years. I guess I can pull the numbers, but I don't think it's particularly important. I'll find other than I know you'll be able to find at least one like awful start where he went less than three innings and allowed at least seven eight runs Like it's as you point out, Yeah, with Sandy, even though he's he's been very good, especially of late, but he's still very reliant on balls and play. And one thing we kind of glossed over with the previous series is Marlins did play excellent defense.
Speaker 4: This past weekend.
Speaker 3: Really were pretty high up there in terms of overall defense, between Joe Mack and Jacob Marci and now Graham poly Ding back in the folds and Paully had a couple several great plays defensively at third base as well. Yeah, that's gonna be there's a premium on defense when you play at course fields. So that's going to be Yeah, that's gonna be crucial to follow over these next few days. If they're able to do it like that, if they're able to get some surprising production from some of their other defenders that aren't as highly touted, that's that really makes a difference. That's what ends puts endings away, gets you out of jams versus what leads to crooked numbers going on this scoreboard. Like with Colorado, the margin for error is just really thin defensively because of how much ground you have to cover.
Speaker 1: Sing me up five six el for Sandy and Chors by the way, not great. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Hopefully the Marlins can get it done. Prediction time coming up here. But first we have this ad from our friends over at jet Ski Rentals of South Florida.
Speaker 4: Eli, you want to take it away, Indeed we do.
Speaker 3: This podcast is brought to you by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida, offering Miami's best jet skiing boat adventures. With six jet Ski locations and over one hundred and twenty boats, there's something for every style and every budget. Right Jetski is right in front of the downtown Skyline and ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as low as three hundred dollars with a captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. I think this upcoming week is about as busy as they get July fourth weekends, so the reservation based only.
Speaker 4: To book, you gotta call.
Speaker 3: Three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two or check them out online at sf jetski rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code fish on first to save ten percent off your next booking. Again, that's three oh five nine to nine oh two one nine two, or online at sf jetski rentals dot com.
Speaker 4: This is prediction time. That's my prediction, but who knows?
Speaker 3: Prediction time for this four game series against the Rockies. Yes, very important to note, not the usual three gamer that we've seen so often this season. Very hard to win any four game series, regardless of the opponent. There's a look at our prediction time leader board. A perfect series for Jeremiah has expanded his lead atop the standing Still so long to go, but we keep track of it all season long, from our fish on, first staffers, our super subs, our last team guests, and you get points for predicting how many games the Marlins will win in the series, who will be the series MVP, as determined by win probability. Added one more reminder four game series, picking four games instead of three. But other than that, I think we're all ready to go. So I'll turn on the music and I guess we'll start with Kevin.
Speaker 4: As we often do.
Speaker 1: Marlins will take three out of four in cores and I will never forget when Eli chows. I think it was Anthony Bassos the series MVP and coorps and he got it. So I'm gonna choose a pitcher. I'm gonna go with Max Smeyer to be the series sevent I think you'll shove you will continue to only expand his case.
Speaker 4: That's who I should be an all star. I'll bring up myself next.
Speaker 3: We want to save the best for last, and jere Jeremiah has been the best at this, so I'll go with the series split. You really have to, so often these four game sets get split down the middle, regardless of other factors. So that's where I'll have it against this Rockies team. For my series MVP, I'm gonna go with Uri Uri Perez. I've I was cautiously optimistic about what I was seeing right before he went down with his injury. Pretty good in his first start back from the IL, So I think Yuri is going to shove and at least that's one of the games of the Marlins takeaway. So I think that's gonna be the first time this season where I picked him as my MVP. And uh yeah, two wins a piece for the Marlins and Rockies this current week.
Speaker 2: I said that in order to have a successful series at Courts, Marlins have to win the out of four. I really want to pick them to do, so I think it's gonna be a series split through to two. This Rockies offense, it's a little bit scary. Cours always has some crazy games. I'm gonna go with former Marlin Troy Johnston as series MVP. It's gonna have a monster revenge series against this pitching staff.
Speaker 4: But Marlin's leaseplit.
Speaker 2: And that is going to do it. For today's stream, we recap the Marlins Cardinals series. Of course, talked about trade deadline targets. We still have a lot of time to go before the actual trade deadline that's gonna be August fourth, so plenty of time. There's gonna be new teams that fall in and out of contention. It's gonna be fun. But thank you guys for joining us today, and of course we will be back next week after the Colorado Series. For Eli Suspen, for Kevin Barrall. I've been Jeremih Geiger host in the stream until next time.
Speaker 4: Guys, stay safe and let's go fish