Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Mike Armstrong Marchs twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lori kil martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway, dot com Comedy Brodway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: Wednesday, March the twenty six, two days away from the Sweet sixteen in the college basketball. We are at the Sweet sixteen in Kentucky High School basketball here at Rupp Arena on Wingsday.
Speaker 4: You know it's a.
Speaker 5: Dollar wings for all what I hear all the people that are in town for the Sweet sixteen. Now only can you go to Kase You can get dollar wings all day and night. It's crazy eight. I'm nine eight twenty two eighty seven o'clark's pumping shop phone line A vision Auto glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four in this diition sponsored by the TJ. Smith Lowice. You call TJ. He'll make them pay. Ryan Lemon, we are here at the Sweet sixteen. This is the what year of this? Do you think this.
Speaker 6: Is one hundred and fourteen?
Speaker 4: I don't know, that's just made up. I don't think that's the exact number. But this is uh a lot.
Speaker 5: It is the last high school basketball tournament in America with no no classes correct, there have never been uh, there's not another one. It was down to Kentucky and Indiana and then they gave in. They did, and this is the last one and it is still uh I would say the most special high school tournament in all the way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because every now and then you get a team like last year Lyon County, a small school from western Kentucky.
Speaker 4: We had Lyon County play Harlan County last.
Speaker 6: That's what makes it special. Was it fifteen years ago or so we had was it Shelby Valley came out out of the mountains and then won the term. That's what it makes it special, and these communities get behind these teams and it fills up with their students.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 5: And there's a lot of teams here who've not been here in a long time this year, including one that's coming down right now right a Dare County. I saw, you know, the favorite the tournament. Saint X hasn't played here since nineteen ninety five. They're not exactly a you know, lovable bunch of losers at Saint X at one of the maybe the richest school in the state, but they haven't been here since nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you think of sex such a powerhouse in all sports. For them that I got the pageant that was the last team that was on they came here.
Speaker 4: Well, I think so that would probably be right.
Speaker 5: I think that was Scott because I think Scott Patget was one year older than me. I think the last time Saint X was here, a young whipper Snappers named Scott Paget was here.
Speaker 7: I have a feeling they're gonna be here for a while because they absolutely dominated the regular season all the way to getting here. They're they're the favorite, and I looked up it looks like nineteen eighteen was the first year. So Ryan, I don't know what you're you're gay.
Speaker 4: They probably are interrupted only seven years off there. They probably interrupted a few times for.
Speaker 6: The war, probably uh COVID, probably.
Speaker 5: You or a couple of them. But uh, you know, besides that, this thing keeps rolling and.
Speaker 6: We are here.
Speaker 5: So it's either close to the one hundredth anniversary or just after it, don't you think.
Speaker 6: Or they call it the greatest show in hoops. I think that was their. It was their that was their logo bumbo for a while. I don't think it stuck, but it was. It was called the greatest show hoops.
Speaker 4: That's not even a good name.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 4: It doesn't rhyme.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's why did they I don't know they tried.
Speaker 4: They called it that, Shannon, or do you think Ryan just made it?
Speaker 3: I think Ryan just made it up.
Speaker 5: I think you just made that up. I do not believe. If someone could show me something where they called it the greatest show on hoops, I'll believe it. But I don't think I do.
Speaker 4: Wait, bit you haven't.
Speaker 7: There's a story ten years ago on the KHSA website about the greatest show in hoops.
Speaker 6: They tried, they tried to get it going and it just never caught on.
Speaker 5: Oh I wonder why five nine, two, eight, oh, twenty two eighty seven. So we're gonna be here today. Uh, in the second hour or the show, there'll be a game going on. Yes, Bowling Green and Adair County. Yes, Adair County is who we are for, because not because I have anything against Bowling Green, but they ate at the bar.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you eat at.
Speaker 5: The bar and you buy food, I'm for you. So the Adair County, Uh, what are they?
Speaker 6: The Indians in Indians?
Speaker 4: So they haven't they haven't updated.
Speaker 6: Later today, Caspar, we're gonna host Henderson and Great Crossing, all right, we gonna we support them also.
Speaker 5: So they all play tomorrow of course, Henderson County. Well, we'll go through the braw. I got plenty of bracket and now, okay, great I've been spending a lot of.
Speaker 6: Time you breaking down the high school.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, there's a lot of film the study that I've been doing, and we will do that over the course today. We're gonna make our picks. I've got the bracket right in front of me, and we'll do it. I love this and we you know, this is like your favorite thing. If we weren't on the road with Kentucky, I'd be here every single time, like I.
Speaker 4: Still can we don't play it on Friday.
Speaker 6: I'd be like me, mall, who's come here for what fifty something years? And you mentioned your friend Duncan Cavanall here he Dug Kavanaugh and his.
Speaker 5: Dad are on the way. They've been here. They've been coming here since as long as I've known him. Uh Corey, mister Sayer and Anderson County.
Speaker 4: It's always here as soon as he gets out of school.
Speaker 5: So this is you know, for there are a lot of families and and sort of it's that that have come year after year.
Speaker 7: I really like coming here, but usually the Kentucky's tournament run gets.
Speaker 4: In the way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, last year, I didn't want to leave the tournament early, but I was able to be here to watch Lyon Counties running that final game.
Speaker 4: So I like that. We're in India on Friday and get a chance to a couple of days of this.
Speaker 5: And you just love it because it's like it's I've said this before. This is where Ryan Lemon is the most popular. You know, I used to say that there are two places where Ryan Lemon gets the most props. Any place in Lexington where there is a large group of black people getting together. The mayor of Black Lexington, Ryan Lemon, it's looking at Mario's.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you from his days in w L a A. What is the name of the social group that gets together. They get together at our bar sometimes or at a Harper Hall sometimes. You know what I'm talking about. It's like the older professional African Americans.
Speaker 6: Oh, I know you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Anyway, if he went there, he could be pressed. I mean people, they people love righting.
Speaker 5: And then the second thing is here, like at the Sweet sixteen, there's all these like drew older reporters from all these small towns and for them, Ryan LeMond is like, I'm serious, it's like it's like going to a MAGA rally with Trump.
Speaker 4: Wow. I mean he's like that. It is they wear hats.
Speaker 5: Make Matt Jones be nice to ride again like that.
Speaker 4: He is the king at this place.
Speaker 7: It is impossible to walk in with him and you know, keep it pace because he stops and shakes every hand. Hasn't seen everyone since the last week's six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know everybody's name. You're like, oh, there's from Barberville.
Speaker 4: All look at all. How you doing? Rick? What's happening down there? And he starts pointing like this is this is your thing.
Speaker 6: I did already have a little conversation with mister Jullian Tacket, Sir, so scared, came in.
Speaker 4: So scared to Julia attack. Where is Julia Taga?
Speaker 6: He's walking around, he's got a suit on, he's looking dapper today.
Speaker 4: And you you are scared to death of that. Man.
Speaker 5: Im and Jim hosts come together. It's like the natural disasters earthquake and typhoon when they get around you.
Speaker 6: I'm hoping they come in and sit together so I get my picture, take it in two of them.
Speaker 4: You need to.
Speaker 5: But you you do love this. You love it, and I make fun of you. But I always think it's neat. You know, all these like small town radio stations that do their broadcast from here, they're all set up.
Speaker 4: I always think that's cool too.
Speaker 6: Well, it's kind of a lost art where you know, here in Lexington, we don't have we don't carry high school games, lotul they don't carr high school games. But in the small communities. The local radio station still carries their high school football in high school.
Speaker 4: I think they're not carry the high school games.
Speaker 6: I don't know WLAP will start. We used to do it.
Speaker 4: Why don't you make it happen? Yeah, I mean, like you could pick a team, you could do all the teams, you.
Speaker 6: Picked the game of the week, game of the night.
Speaker 5: Well, that one time many years ago, uh like tried to get a on Friday night a game of the week in the state, like making a stay. I even offered to back when I would work way too much that I would go and like we'd pick one and it would be like a thing, right and it would be broadcast all over the state and create a network. And there was some movement on it, and then it just didn't happen. But but I think it would be cool.
Speaker 6: I think if like just using like the four of us right here, well even Billy, we go through a couple of games a year, Bill, this guy, all the radio experience, Billy.
Speaker 5: Even Billy, Like this is such a good idea. We could even clinclude Billy Shinn. And that was kind of rude to Billy.
Speaker 3: Don't you some respect on Billy's name?
Speaker 6: What are you doing.
Speaker 4: We could even have Billy to be part of it.
Speaker 6: Because he's done play by play, he's done color commentary, he's got some experience behind the mic doing doing games. So I would love it, actually, And now that Josey was about to graduate, I've got some more free time. Maybe I'll look into doing it now.
Speaker 5: You should actually think, I cannot think of a thing that would be better for you than on Friday nights doing a high school back. Like, I think it would be good for your soul because you're gonna when your kids leave you act like this is gonna be nothing.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be sad.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be devastating.
Speaker 4: I mean, and he's just going across the street.
Speaker 5: He's staying in Lexington and it's still gonna be So that would give you something to do so you don't sit there and just you know.
Speaker 6: But I would like to go to the small communities, like do a game at Middlesborough, or do a game in Bria.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: The game of the week, Game of the week, Game of the week.
Speaker 7: When Ryan did TV in Evansville, I was young, I'd watch him with my dad and it would be a big deal. When Ron Lemon came to it didn't happen often, but if he was in Madisonville.
Speaker 5: Here, Lance Wilkerson, I think, I definitely think you should do it. I would also say, from the early looks of the crowd, hey, Bowling Green, you better get here because the Dare County crowd is going too far outweigh the Bowling Green crowds. It's so far from Bowling Green. I see two women, two purples. Bully Greens is a big city where is everybody.
Speaker 6: Well for like a Dare County that they never come here, So I it'd such a big deal. The whole school will come, you know, the whole community will come. Bowling Green.
Speaker 4: Eh.
Speaker 6: You know, they wont the state football title in December, so you.
Speaker 5: Don't think they're gonna show up at all. Im here frequently. There literally are two women and that's it that are over there. Well eighty seven. I think we've created a new broadcast here. I think so while we're doing it, we will be picking the games. Cats involves are two days away. You know, I told myself, look, if we get second week in, you know, then whatever, And then of course we end up drawing Tennessee, which makes it a little bit different. Are you starting to get nervous yet, Drew like you're starting to feel the cat's Vall's action.
Speaker 7: I thought I would be nervous, it's actually going the other way. I'm getting more and more confident of there. You know, been writing some previews for the website and just writing about the recent games as a reminder that Kentucky's had Tennessee's number. I wrote last night, they've Tennessee has been the favorite five times in the last three seasons. And not only did Kentucky cover, they won all five games straight up. Wow, and they covered the spread by combined seventy five points. So Vegas has been way off on these games, and they've made Tennessee the favorite again. And I, you know, just taking back to the last couple of seasons, I'm ready to see Kentucky do it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not as confident as you are that we're gonna win.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I just feel like, I feel like Tennessee's better than us, And are you gonna beat a team that's better than you three times in a year?
Speaker 6: Well, I tell you what scares me. Sekaia Zigler and chas La Nier. I don't think they can shoot horribly three games in a row against US. They shot horrible their first two games. It scares me. They're both probably due for a big game against US at the Since.
Speaker 5: You saw that arena, I mean, it's not gonna be a shooter's arena like they're playing it in the Dome.
Speaker 4: I saw, we saw a picture of it yesterday.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be that thing where you know they don't have great shooting backgrounds. The Final four is always played in something like that, but the regionals this is the only one played in a building like that. You think that makes any difference at all.
Speaker 7: Devin Booker tweeted about it, and he said stop playing basketball in football stadiums or something like that, and were responsor to the Lucas Oil picture.
Speaker 5: Really, I mean, I he's right. They're not gonna stop though. But but normally you don't have the regionals there. But they do this thing where whoever gets the Final four next year gets a regional the year before to get ready for it.
Speaker 6: It's tough, I mean, and shooters will tell you it is. It's it's different when you're out there in a big dome like that, that background, it just it throws you off. So hopefully they can get up enough shots to feel little comfortable.
Speaker 4: Who wins if neither team is shooting threes? Well kind of need Kentucky to knock out again.
Speaker 6: You just wave Inn Clark, who's Leanne Klark. She works for w L Stats, do all the stats for.
Speaker 5: I mean you say that though, like, but yeah, I mean that was a two handed wave to Lea Clark, who Now they're pointing at each other, and now the guy next to him's pointing like it's just like you what you and the at this place. It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen. You know, all of these people.
Speaker 6: You might say, it's my super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's play a game. Who's this guy right here in the blue jacket with a pink shirt walking this way?
Speaker 4: I feel like, you.
Speaker 6: Know he's I don't know his name, he's an Adair County radio guy.
Speaker 4: You see, just the fact that you know that is unbelievable.
Speaker 6: You know, the Adair County radio I'm embarrassed. I can't think of his name.
Speaker 5: I'man Why would you be embarrassed the fact that you know the profession is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could have gotten County. He's well dressed for the Adair County Radio.
Speaker 6: Big deal for a Dare County. Absolutely need to.
Speaker 5: Get your security five died two eighth twenty two eighty seven. The text machine is seven to seven two seven zaid before five two five be four. We are here at the Sweet sixteen. You can watch all the Sweet sixteen games on what's the name of the thing.
Speaker 4: Prep Spin, Prep Spin.
Speaker 5: We're gonna have him at the bar as well, so if you want to come watch at the bar, you can. You can come here and watch, or you can get them on Prep Spin. There's no reason for you to miss the Sweetest of sixteen. We'll take a break and be right back to Scancer.
Speaker 4: Welcome back in.
Speaker 5: Kentucky Sports Radio, Adare County and Bowling Green coming. We I already have some corrections. Okay, this is what happens when we talk about something we do not know. Which is most thus to be honest.
Speaker 6: Fact is option.
Speaker 4: Adare County made the Sweet sixteen last year. They did so.
Speaker 5: This has not been a long time since they've been here. They were here last year. Scott Paget was not on the nineteen ninety five teen. He had graduated the year before, so and it was called the greatest show in hoops for fourteen years.
Speaker 4: We're right about Ryan Bennison.
Speaker 5: Ever, hear though, we didn't get that part then, and so I mean, if you want, you could just take the first segment and just assume it's all false, right, and then and then go from there. And now it looks like the Sweet sixteen This year is is sponsored by Beef, it says the Kentucky Beef Council. Looks to be from what I can tell, along with UK Healthcare the primary sponsors.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Beef's got some signage in both end zones, so they're definitely a big sponsor this year.
Speaker 4: You know, we had a wrestler in OVW named Beef.
Speaker 6: Whatever happened to the big dude, the big seven foot guy, wrestler guy, the monster guy you guys are talking about.
Speaker 3: He's still there.
Speaker 4: He's still there. He's still there, manage. Yes.
Speaker 5: By the way, cash Flow a little update got promoted to season regular on Telsea King. He will be in the rather than a guest star. He will be in the opening credit. So congrats to cash Flow.
Speaker 7: That way, I saw the little story written a preview and he kind of wrote about how he's got a bigger role. I just think that's the beginning of a big Hollywood run for cash flow.
Speaker 4: A leading man.
Speaker 5: He is gonna being a Netflix Hallmark movie with I don't know, with Jessica Beale, and it's gonna be it's gonna be wonderful. I don't know if I watched that one romantic if I'm nine twenty two eighty seven, one person rights Matt, wouldn't it be the case that both teams would shoot poorly in a in a in a dome. Correct, That's what I'm asking, though we didn't really get we got sidetracked. Who has a better chance of winning if neither team can hit threes?
Speaker 4: That's a great question, Tennessee.
Speaker 7: But I trust you know they're not a good shooting team. And if it's a it's a bad gym for it. I trust Kobe Bray to at least adjust and figure it out a little bit, being such an elite shooter. So I'm still hopeful Kentucky will be able to knock him down. But Tennessee has been truly awful in the Kentucky games. Wild they shoot like sixteen percent they al even going back to last year, Ziggler had one good game in like three years.
Speaker 4: I think he said one good game against them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that one game in Knoxby. He's one for eleven for threes. I think Lanier was like, what three for fifteen or something. They both shot horrible. That's a tough question you ask. So I'm thinking who's got the better maybe inside game of the way, the game's gonna be one of the paint Do you give a Mari and Carr the edge? Maybe a little bit?
Speaker 4: Maybe, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So a couple of little updates Weed to Bix, which we talked about yesterday. Weed to Bix was the number one selling cold cereal in America for a while yesterday.
Speaker 6: Close my well, no, we shouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 4: Really, I'm a little surprised.
Speaker 5: I mean, like, I you know, we do crazy stuff, but just buying a British cereal in bulk is one of the crazier things we've ever done, I think. I mean, it goes up there with the Uni brow and like, like it's up there. I mean we bought we were for a while, America sold more Weed to Bix than frosted.
Speaker 4: Flakes and cheery.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just want you to think about that for a minute, like we are crazy, but it is kind of awesome.
Speaker 7: And I just think it's another example of this fan base being back this season. Yes, going all the way back to that April here in Roparina when Pope had the press conference, Kentucky fans have just been at their best this season. The home games have been awesome. Now we're latching on to something a player eats. I mean, it'd be one thing if someone said they eat McDonald's before every game. We all just started eat McDonald's. But this is a British cereal.
Speaker 5: The British wheat cereal that pretty much everyone acknowledges is terrible.
Speaker 7: Not one person has had anything good to say about.
Speaker 5: And yet I'm still not seen. I'm still not gotten one. I I want one.
Speaker 6: I thought they'd bring a bunch of the restaurant.
Speaker 5: Yes, somebody apparently brought one with show is over, so we we we don't.
Speaker 4: We don't have something.
Speaker 6: We're gonna try it tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Then, yeah, I'm gonna try it tomorrow.
Speaker 7: I think I will say I didn't like Mark Pope on Monday Night his name for the for this whole phenomenon. He asked for suggestions, but he called it the actually wrote it down, the Kentucky weed de Bick's Unity.
Speaker 5: March towards March Madness. Yeah, I gotta work on that. Mark Pope has a lot of uh has a lot of wonderful qualities, but but he's a huge door and so like when it comes to naming things. What was it again, he said, the.
Speaker 7: Kentucky weeda Bick's Unity March towards March Madness.
Speaker 4: That's what he said. He's called He should not be in charge of slogans.
Speaker 5: You can't have the same word in there twice, the Unity March for March Maddness.
Speaker 7: Credit, he did ask for help. I think he's gonna need a little bit of progress.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It has been wild to see everyone ordering it. Though.
Speaker 5: Last night I was the guest on Field of sixty eight, which is the nightly college basketball show. Yes, and I was on there to talk about UK basketball. They left me on there for about thirty minutes. You can watch it on their YouTube page or on Twitter. Field of sixty eight But it was really good. It was Rob Doster, Jeff Goodman, and Tyler Hansborough was on there as well, and it was quite a conversation. I never thought I would be talking with Tyler Hansborough.
Speaker 6: Well, you and your new bromance with Jeff Goodman. You guys are tight now it's got a bromance.
Speaker 5: We were friends before cow it's just after a fifteen year hiatus we became friendly again.
Speaker 6: That podcast they do every night recapping the games has only become a big phenomenon.
Speaker 4: Drew and Mario told me they stayed up and watched. Uh did you.
Speaker 6: I didn't know you were on it, but I will. I will watch it probably tonight. I will watch it.
Speaker 4: You will watch it.
Speaker 6: It very I think it's very good. Okay, when they do it.
Speaker 4: So you'll watch it. You can report back. And I went, yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: You in your you do it from your living room.
Speaker 4: I guess I did it from my kitchen.
Speaker 6: Your kitchen.
Speaker 5: I thought it was interesting. Jeff Goodman just sits in front of his stove. Did you notice that too. I was actually trying to look closely. I didn't know if that was like a generic background where you just had a kitchen behind him. But no, yeah, no, I mean I was sitting like I had the camera late on the kitchen counter looking back at my dining room. But he was sitting in front of a stove as like his background, which I thought was a really odd thing to do that.
Speaker 4: And uh, Tyler hans were always very nice.
Speaker 7: You h he has like an old school gaming headset, so he was like much louder and like doing some heavy, heavy breathing in the microphone.
Speaker 4: But it was overall, it was a good Internet.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit like Shannon being with Ryan when he just starts panting into the microphone. Yeah, there was a little bit of that with Tyler Hansborough last night. Yeah, what announcements are these people making? Like he's been talking for ten straight minutes. What could that guy be saying? The sponsor who's like the greatest showing hoops needs his moment.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, who's up first?
Speaker 3: Shit, we'll start with Roger.
Speaker 4: Roger, go ahead, Roger.
Speaker 8: Yes. The only question I had is anybody checked the win lost record non SEC versus SDC and the Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 5: Well, you mean just the teams that are in the Sweet sixteen playing against each other?
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, I mean they haven't been there.
Speaker 5: Probably haven't been that many games non conference where they played each other.
Speaker 4: Obviously, we beat Duke, so there's one.
Speaker 5: But I mean Auburn lost to Duke, Arizona loss to Duke. So I mean you'd have to you'd have to look at it for us if you take non conference. I think the only we played that still left his Duke, So I guess we're one to oh true.
Speaker 8: Talking about the yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. I'm not sure, but I appreciate the call.
Speaker 5: But but if you're just talking about non conference games in general, the SEC absolutely dominated On that show last night.
Speaker 4: They were saying what.
Speaker 5: Does the SEC need to do to be the best conference ever? And they were like, get two teams in the final four, and they have a real legitimate because they already have the record for most teams in the tournament. They now have the record for most teams in the sweet sixteen. You know you're getting close as it is.
Speaker 7: I think we have a lot in the Elite eight. I liked last night on Field of sixty eight. I think it was your best moment. Tyler Hansbrough kind of tried to dunk on you about Clemson winning and how ACC did well in that game, and then you reminded him it was fourteen.
Speaker 4: And two for the entire fourteen and two ACC series. Okay, dere Canny already has an awesome roster.
Speaker 5: The guy in the front looks to be thirty seven and that kid in the back looks to be eleventh.
Speaker 7: Also got some kind of I like the the red, white and blue almost Harlem Globe trotter esque pants.
Speaker 4: There there's no way that kid's in high school. That kid is eleven. We'll be right. We'll tell you later. T J.
Speaker 3: Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ. He'll make them pay now.
Speaker 2: More of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Here's not Jones.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give you a really hard assignment, Shannon.
Speaker 5: You're gonna have to find a song about a Dare County or with something with a Dare in it. Okay, if you can, I'll be very impressed. But if there's either a song that was created in the Dare County the singer was from a Dare County, you just gotta have something to Dare County.
Speaker 4: Something Colombia.
Speaker 5: Uh you know that that since they're here, be easier for you to find.
Speaker 4: If I'm not mistaken, isn't Shannon, a former a Dare County resident in Colombia.
Speaker 3: I did, that's right, I'm pulling for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, a couple of things here about we're at the sweet sixteen, just about the setup. But the Adare County has the widest run of ages I've ever seen on a basketball There is an eleven year old, there's a there's a there's a kid who looks like he's thirty seven and has a mortgage. I mean that, they literally, I think they took from the entire county. Uh, Shannon. I also have to tell you they just walked away. Ryan stole one of the people's here's hard line Internet.
Speaker 3: Yes, it doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 4: And they came over here.
Speaker 5: They were not happy, but they were like trying to act like it wasn't a big deal, but it was clear it was kind of a big deal.
Speaker 3: That's because we're on the air, but they're not going.
Speaker 5: To be on the air until later in the afternoon. I agree with you, but you could tell they were like, you know how, when somebody goes, it's not a big deal. But h And my view is if you say that clearly it is a big deal, you would have said it to begin with exactly we got a it's not a big deal.
Speaker 4: But about Ryan taking their internet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're doing the same X game at once.
Speaker 5: You weren't supposed to say who it was, like we were this was I mean, what is it with?
Speaker 3: Like Cleon was exactly.
Speaker 4: Clear that I didn't want to say who it was.
Speaker 3: It was it was.
Speaker 2: But Ryan comes in and he owns that place, like you've already said, he does what he wants.
Speaker 5: That clear that I didn't want to say who it was. And then Ryan just goes, it's a Saint X radio people.
Speaker 6: I didn't say that, you just I said they're here to do the Saint X game. They could be Jeffersontown people.
Speaker 5: Oh you think you think people are just supposed to think it was the Jefferson Town people. I didn't say that, Yeah, okay, we're here to do the st X game.
Speaker 4: But you just assumed it was the other team. It could be that happened.
Speaker 6: It could be the radio who was it supposed to be? Could be the Aceland radio station coming and do the same.
Speaker 5: Do you think Ashland comes here to do the st xtgames? They drive all the way up here to do the st X games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the next round one.
Speaker 5: You know what the people of Aceland want. They want the Saint x J Town game on the radio.
Speaker 6: There are some stations used to carry every single game.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a radio network with Cameron Mills over there that does it.
Speaker 6: Gary Ball.
Speaker 4: Cameron Mills, he knows everyone. Gary Ball. He's been working on consistency. Subtlety is something we need to get to. Subtle tea we really have to work on.
Speaker 5: Thanks to the Adair County band who will add some background to us. All Right, so we're gonna as we go through the day, We're also gonna make our pills.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got a whiff. We're also gonna make our picks.
Speaker 5: Let's start a Dare County and Bowling Green the game we're watching. Uh, both teams are short. It looks to me like Bowling Green is thirty or is twenty eight and six? Adare County's thirty and five?
Speaker 6: Who you got let me give you a little thirty seconds on each team fifteen. Bowling Green has the best athlete in the state of Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: He was a quarterback on their football team that won the state title. I te him right here in the red shoes. He starts on the basketball team right jack out the ball right now here.
Speaker 4: That's the deuce athlete in the state.
Speaker 6: Deuce Bailey's he's a superstar.
Speaker 4: And is he a senior? He's a senior? Where's he going to school?
Speaker 6: Missouri State to play? What football?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: Because Nick Petrino is there up in the coordinator former so Ace Bailey chap he got me messed up. Best athlete in the state. But county has the best player in the state that you've never heard of.
Speaker 4: So he's the best athlete.
Speaker 5: Yes, But you say a Derrek County has the best player I have, I hadn't heard of him. So if you want to do best people that I haven't heard of, you're gonna have a long list. But who's the best player I've never heard of on a Derek.
Speaker 6: County Connor Lloyd. Connor Lloyd, he leads the state and assists and he's got over three thousand.
Speaker 4: Points from succession.
Speaker 6: I believe Connor Roy.
Speaker 4: He's got the wives that the younger one.
Speaker 6: So it's Connor Lloyd.
Speaker 4: Connor Lloyd's he's.
Speaker 6: A superstar you've never heard of? He took a dere County here to this week sixteen last year got him back over three thousand points. He just doesn't get the exposure to get I don't know if he's committed anywhere.
Speaker 4: I mean, didn't you tell me somebody was going to Stony Brook.
Speaker 6: That's on Callaway County.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so this is where Derrick County. All right? So after that pre you who you got?
Speaker 6: A Deer County beat him during the regular season.
Speaker 4: Oh, they played each other, They played each other.
Speaker 6: I'm going Bowling Green today.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm taking a Dare County for for Colombia. That little town square I used to drive through on my way to Campbellsville.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go ahead and take them. Shannon, who you got?
Speaker 2: Of course, I gotta go with a Dereck County. As Drew said, I spent part of my life there, So let's go with Derek County.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you and I have been there many times. What you Let's not forget the Burger King into the Burgo King in Kentucky is in is in the Dare County even.
Speaker 7: Though they have the Burger King and uh Shannon's former home. I'm going with Deuce Bailey, Okay. So so it's Todd.
Speaker 4: Mario, he's gone, Mario split. Can I call out what just happened to me? I don't think you all noticed.
Speaker 7: A guy gave Ryan finger guns, gave Ran a big high five, stuck out his hand for me. When I went to shake his hand, he did the too slow and moop his hand.
Speaker 4: And walked away, telling you what is going on here? Ry this place? Ryan owns this place and he always will.
Speaker 5: Uh. Let's we got one more for the morning session before we go to the phones. Jefferson Town in st. X. Now, clearly st X people may not hear their broadcast because Ryan took away their radio equipment.
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm gonna take sat X, what about you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're the best team in the state at the only lost two games and both losses were out of state teams. They're undefeated in Kentucky. They've got the best freshman in the state. Josh Lindsey. The guy is a stud in the making.
Speaker 4: Josh Lindsey.
Speaker 6: Josh Lindsay. They got three good guards. Jeffersontown. Kind of eh social season.
Speaker 4: Eh, yeah, sweet sixteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's kind of The sixth region wasn't very strong this year, so you know, so I'm going St.
Speaker 4: X in a route.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm impressed by the show prep over here, all right, st X by twenty Yeah, Jody.
Speaker 7: Every every every Monday on KSR we have the KSR Top twenty five and I write a little blurb about it in the morning post, and I feel like every Monday I wrote about how Saint X was number one again and won both games about thirty points.
Speaker 4: So gotta go with st X here, all right, Shandon.
Speaker 2: X, sat X wins and nobody's going to know about it and their internet.
Speaker 4: That's riot. Who's up next, Debbie, Debbie, go ahead.
Speaker 8: Debbie, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to get your take on which explosion the transfer portal being what it is and the smaller new major schools having to figure out a way to navigate that. You think that this could foster relationships between the coaches and the larger schools and the coaches of the smaller schools that have similar coaching philosophies and make them almost like feeding schools.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're going to be feeder schools.
Speaker 5: But there was an interesting article that came out this morning, Debbie on this which which basically said, under the new House settlement, that's going to come in April. Presumably most colleges are going to have three to four million dollars in the Power five schools to pay their players. But the point was the schools that don't have football, like Villanova, could use more of their settlement for basketball because they don't have to pay for football and might actually be helped. There was an argument that, hey, some of these mid majors might actually be able to offer more money, which was kind of an interesting thing. So I don't, Debbie, I appreciate the call. I don't know that we'll know, but I will say this, I think the hand ringing over this is completely ridiculous, This hand ringing of, oh, the mid majors are gonna be this, the mid majors are gonna be that.
Speaker 4: The mid majors have.
Speaker 5: Never won anything anyway, when's the last time a mid major won.
Speaker 4: A national championship? Geez never? I mean, it doesn't happen. Butler got there, But Butler got there.
Speaker 5: But they're in the Big East now, right Like, It's not like they're just these.
Speaker 4: Little children running around.
Speaker 5: Gonzaga is a power program that's just situated in a different conference. So the handrick, yes, will players from Drake go to another school.
Speaker 4: I keep using Drake.
Speaker 5: Yes, but so did Drake's coach right like Drake's coach went to Iowoad.
Speaker 4: Nobody seems to care about that.
Speaker 5: So why I just refuse to believe the idea that players shouldn't have the same right as coaches. Now, does it need to be structured? Yes, I think it is going to be structured. Everybody, just take a deep breath, give it a month or so. But Ryan, I just don't find it to be this awful thing that people act like.
Speaker 6: Do you think at some point they'll put a cap on how much each sport is allowed to receive out of this allotment or.
Speaker 5: No, each school will get to decide what they want a fund with what, and you know then there.
Speaker 4: Are gonna be people who give more through the outside people.
Speaker 5: Here was something interesting I read today. The judge meets I think on April ninth or something to decide whether to approve the settlement. It is expected that she will, but deals that occurred before that aren't counted in. Wow, So some people think these plays need to sign before April ninth to make sure they're not cap so that you're gonna see a lot of people sign really quick to make sure they're not cap drew by the settlement.
Speaker 7: I didn't consider that that makes sense to your point about like a Villanova. I've actually seen people saying someone at a better schools should consider leaving because Villanova will be able to put their entire budget into basketball and can make that better than a school that's got to split.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so all of this, like, I just refuse to be a gloom and doomer the Ultimately, here's what I would say to people. If you don't like the chaos of the portal, just ignore it and wait till the games start.
Speaker 4: Because when the game started this.
Speaker 5: Year, we all enjoyed it, right, yes, everyone, and it was the most enjoyable year we've had in a long time.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 5: So if you don't like the chaos right now, just tune it out. Come back in June. You'll know the roster and then go from there.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 5: I enjoyed the chaos. The chaos is fun to me. But if you don't like it, just ignore it and then wait till they get on the court.
Speaker 7: Yes, see what people love NBA free agency and just keeps the season going. I mean, if you want to get into the mud and see all this. It's just more to the sport. You can follow them, that's right.
Speaker 5: I mean, like I yesterday, and we'll talk about this in the second hour. I was sitting there reading about Robert Morris players. I would never do that otherwise. But if you don't want to do it, just don't and we'll have a roster and you can cheer on that one.
Speaker 6: And the chaos is even crazier for teams that are still playing right now.
Speaker 5: This now that are still they should wait and open the portal when the seasons are.
Speaker 4: I agree. I do agree that that was I don't know why they do that. BBN.
Speaker 5: Spring is sprung, and that means you're getting outside more, whether that's doing yard work or just staying active by biking or running.
Speaker 4: Court. Physical therapy can help at court.
Speaker 5: Our therapists know what it takes to help you heal and get back to the things you enjoy while also helping you prevent future injuries from happening. Over seventy locations statewide, it's court dot com. It's KRT dot com. So you got Deuce Bailey and what's the name of the kid on Honor Lloyd honor Lloyd Connor, Lloyd with his he's number fourteen, right, which one's fourteen?
Speaker 6: I think he's still got his shooting shirt on right now?
Speaker 4: I think, all right, well, good luck Connor.
Speaker 5: We'll take a break of your right back. This is KSR. All right, Shannon, So you're supposed to think of a song from a Dare County.
Speaker 4: This is it?
Speaker 3: Well he does. He just talked over it, but he mentions a darre Okay, try that again. Okay, there we go.
Speaker 4: I like it from eight there.
Speaker 3: That's Chris Knight and the song is Becky's Bible.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: I saw Chris Knight once in Louisville at the Palace, and I don't think he was sober when I saw it, but.
Speaker 4: It was still good and I enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: And we are here at the Sweet sixteen and Dare County and Bowling Green are about to play another thing about Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 4: I like Drew.
Speaker 5: Just saw a guy walk on press row in overalls. You don't see that at a lot of other events. Man's just in overalls on press row. I don't know who he covers, but he's doing his thing.
Speaker 4: I should have worn my overalls.
Speaker 7: What do you think the ill piper guy would have said about wearing overalls on.
Speaker 4: President's got professional piper name pipe bomb two eighty seven nights. So we're gonna put some pick two more games.
Speaker 5: South Oldham and dan Bult Christian south old Them twenty nine and five, Damnil Christian twenty nine and three, Damil Christian's first ever trip to the Sweet sixteenth.
Speaker 6: Demil Christian's got two their seven footers. They're transfers from Africa and uh, they've got a female African player that got to the Daniel Christian girls team in the state finals two years in a row. The guys here for the first time. Here's interesting about these tw guys? Let me take you interesting.
Speaker 4: Fund What are their names?
Speaker 6: I don't know?
Speaker 4: Okay, uh A good part.
Speaker 6: They're very athletic because they both grew up playing soccer and they want to be soccer players. But they won't let them because they're so big. They're six ten, six eleven.
Speaker 4: They won't let them.
Speaker 6: Like his family who around, they won't let him play soccery. I guess his his people.
Speaker 5: This is not like a high school where you banned dancing. This is not footloose. If they want to play they'll let him play soccer.
Speaker 6: I think it's a footloose situation.
Speaker 5: These two guys are the band from playing soccer. First of all, being tall is not even a helpful in soccer.
Speaker 6: Well, that's why they won't let him play.
Speaker 4: Who is they?
Speaker 6: Maybe his maybe his mom and dad, I don't know, maybe his coaches.
Speaker 5: See Shannon, he just gets a fact in his head and he never questions it, like they banned them from soccer.
Speaker 4: But who's they?
Speaker 3: I feel like they would let him play who I feel.
Speaker 6: Like you play basketball, made him play both play basketball.
Speaker 3: Made hims.
Speaker 4: Force them to play bass.
Speaker 6: You're too tall to play soccer, you gotta play basketball.
Speaker 5: I'm for these kids who are apparently held against their will at Dane Bull Christian and forced to play basketball.
Speaker 6: That they play south old them. That's Billy's alma monitor. That's okay, Yeah, he went to south Oldham.
Speaker 4: Where he was also forced to play back.
Speaker 5: Bad for these guys too, You made them into sympathetic figures. I just want to dance, dad, shut up, and play bass.
Speaker 6: All they want to do is go out and kick the soccer ball around a little bit.
Speaker 5: By the way, I don't believe this story at all, it's true. I do not believe these dudes are banned from playing soccer. I don't believe this.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 4: He did a lot of show BRep. I'm believing him. Two wins.
Speaker 6: Uh, I'm gonna pick. I'm gonna pick Daniel Christian.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm gonna pick danvil Christian and the poor kids who aren't allowed to play soccer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like Daniel's been recruiting a little bit.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go against Billy's alma mater here, all right, Chandon, who you guys.
Speaker 3: Is gonna pick?
Speaker 2: South oldh them until I heard that their players have been held hostage in the gym, So gave me whoever the Old team is?
Speaker 3: Damn All they.
Speaker 4: Want to do is play soccer, but no they're not allowed to.
Speaker 6: And when told them, beat south Old them twice this year, but in the third meeting in the region finals, south Old them beat him. Kind of what Kentucky's facing this room?
Speaker 4: No, that's not good, Mojo, Why are you telling us that? All right?
Speaker 5: Then the final game tonight Ashland Blazer against Callaway County. As I said last night, Ashland is closer to Canada than they are to Callaway. You said, give us a quick which players are being held hostage in Ashland or Callaway County.
Speaker 6: Well, Ashland leads the state and wins this like they're seventh year in a row. They've been here, they're just.
Speaker 5: The Aceland has twenty three wins. Callaway has thirty one wins career.
Speaker 6: Okay, Ashland has the most career wins in any school in Kentucky. I don't even think it's close, all right, So they're here a lot. They've won many state titles. Calloway County's got two really good players, Jonah Butler, who's committed to Stony Brook stony Brook, and Eli Finley, who I've seen play since he was in middle school. He's really good.
Speaker 4: Also, where's he going? I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't think he's committed yet. Okay, but they got two really good players, all right, So you're picking Calloway County.
Speaker 4: I'm picking Ashland. Go Eastern Kentucky. I gotta go with West Kentucky and Callaway. But I cannot get over Ryan name dropping players on each team.
Speaker 7: I feel like a month ago you asked him who's good in the state and he didn't have an answer.
Speaker 5: Now, I mean, he still calls Kobe Bray and Bobby and Bray, you and Lamar Butler and Lamar. But yet he knows the kids on Calloway County are going to stony Brook.
Speaker 4: So we don't know any of this is accurate. Now he could say anything right now.
Speaker 5: He just convinced us that two dudes want to play soccer and are instead forced to play basketball.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's true either, Shandon, who.
Speaker 3: You got and they got a guy going to Stonybrook? I gotta go Calloway County in this one.
Speaker 5: How in the world does stony Brook, New York find a player in Calloway County. That's not a pipeline, that's a regular one. You can't even get, Like the Calloway County's like eight years from here.
Speaker 4: It is so far away.
Speaker 6: You know, these kids they play summer ball all over the country. Maybe that's where some got founded.
Speaker 4: All right, who's next, Shannon?
Speaker 3: Bluegrass?
Speaker 4: Blue Grass? How are you Bluegrass?
Speaker 10: I'm doing fine that you know. We're excited up there in the mountains this time of year. And my man, let me give you, let me give you a flowers, get quick. I listened to the sixty four and if anybody has a finger on the pulp of the fans at kentuscky hq man, I'm the breakdown, Thank you very much.
Speaker 8: But what I'm talking.
Speaker 10: About when I called in, we had the conversation if we were going to lose somebody, then it's probably alright to lose Jackson because of Brea to sit right in. Well, I think it's the mentality we have now we're getting hands in passing lane like we're switching. Our witching is so much better. I never thought I'll call you in and be talking about defense, Matt, But I'm liking what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think we were playing better defense than we played all year, Drew, and.
Speaker 4: Hopefully it keeps up.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's necessarily I think it's just having now a consistent group of guys and really having Lamont Butler backs huge.
Speaker 7: Having Butler back is the biggest piece. You just see the difference he makes. But I also have to give Mark Pope credit because the defense flipped a switch after he ripped the locker room to Shreds and Oxford when they were not interested in playing any defense.
Speaker 4: At all.
Speaker 7: The analytics even say Kentucky's been a better defensive team than.
Speaker 4: Tennessee since that Old Miss game. That's amazing.
Speaker 7: So when he went that locker room and toured apart, I think it woke them up on that side.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say, I think Adair County is just one big family from age eighty to six. Like there are more ages on this team than any team in the world. So that's what I'm taking there. All Right, We're gonna take a break and be back. When we come back, it will be a Dare County and bowling green national anthem is starting. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.