Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center. Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jettie and he.
Speaker 1: Armrong and Strong.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a replay of the Armstrong and Getty Show. We are on vacation, but boy, do we have some good stuff for you. Yes, indeed we do.
Speaker 3: And if you want to catch up on your ang listening during your travels, remember grabbing the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. You ought to subscribe wherever you like to get podcasts. Now on with the infotainment.
Speaker 2: This is a cop uh attacked by a turkey, quacks at it like a duck and calls it a chicken. Here we go, the chicken chicken?
Speaker 3: What is.
Speaker 2: Oh? Come on quick quack hack hack, hack up? Somebody beck come get it? What yep? Back off? Yeah, here's your stuff back. I'll be right back man. I'm giving a second step for I'm getting a client. I feel like it. I feel like this is happening for all the places you can come. I feel like it lived up to its explanation. That was a cop attacked by turkey, quacking at it and calling it a chicken. Bro, put the turkey back. You need to spend a little more time in a navy are here or something.
Speaker 3: Well, he's taunting the bird. That can't help, you know what. A good cop tries to de escalate. My beloved newsmen of the past, Marshall Phillips would occasionally be confronted by aggressive turkeys during hot, hot turkey loven season, which we are in.
Speaker 2: We have more turkeys in my neighborhood. I gotta believe I got more turkeys around me than anybody listening in America. It's shocking how many turkeys are in my neighborhood. The big giant wild turkeys. They're huge for one thing, absolutely gigantic and mean as hell. During hot, hot, sexy turkey time. When I drive home today, there will be six of them sitting on my roof. Guaranteed eight more in the backyard. They're all over the place. They don't cause any problems. Sometimes they're a little loud, they get into it. Okay, so I got to handle this very delicately. Okay, I want to handle it delicately for this very nice mom who sent us a text.
Speaker 3: I will switch into delicate mode on your advice, combined with harsh mode I think is necessary. So this this, well, this is why we can't have nice things.
Speaker 2: As the cliche goes, this is why demagoguing issues in politics works. I guess so an hour three, if you didn't hear it, get the podcast Armstrong and getting on demand. Joe got into the whole big beautiful bill medicaid thing. We're getting ripped off like crazy with Medicaid. We're gonna get into more of it tomorrow with Craig gottwaltsho was an expert in this. But we're getting ripped off like crazy, all kinds of healthy people. You're paying for their health care and other stuff for no good reason whatsoever other than then nobody keeps track of this sort of thing.
Speaker 3: And because it buys votes, that's like the entire reason you're paying for it.
Speaker 2: And Phil Graham, former senator from from Texas from back in the day, tried to run for president once, but he's way too smart to be president. As a PhD in economics, wrote a piece about how, no, this is where the money is. You talk about so security, you know, and cutbacks and everything like, No, the money where we need to do something is in medicaid. So we get this text. Hey, I have a daughter who's disabled and un Medicaid and Social Security, and I get that you guys are trying to get people riled up and listening to show and I'm a strong Republican. But what you're missing is and then she lays out the story of how her disabled daughter can't take care of herself at all, never will be able to in her life. Unbelievable, what you're dealing with. I can't even imagine, and how she needs that money and we don't have the courage to call her back and talk to her and get the facts on this story about her disabled daughter and how much she needs Medicaid.
Speaker 3: There will not be a single disabled person affected in any way by the proposed cuts, not one.
Speaker 2: And there isn't a single person us or anybody else arguing for someone like your daughter having their money cut. No, are you strenuously one hundred and eighty degrees in the other direction. This is why you demogogue these issues though, because he is its sir that yes, her poor daughter and she will be left high and dry by the mean Republicans. That is one hundred and eighty degrees opposite of the truth you said they've convinced her. We convinced her even with you only talking about the scammers. Right. Her takeaway was like you and I are in favor of cutting her daughter's money. I mean, if that's the way it lands, no wonder politicians don't come with on one hundred miles of even trying to stop the sky scumbag liars. Right. Yeah, it's unfortunate, isn't it. It is highly unfortunate, you could say, and we've seen this, We've been doing this for a long time. You can, as a politician stand up in front of a crowd and say, look, nobody here getting Social Security that's over the age of sixty five. We'll see any a dime of that cut in their lifetime. But and then everything after the butt gets portrayed as you, as an old person, are gonna starve, right, And it's just there's just no getting around it, apparently, right, Right, man, I feel for you, ma'am, what the rough situation you're in doing God's work trying to deal with that. But nobody us or anybody is suggesting cutting the program for people like your daughter. Nobody, right, we would have more money for people like your daughter if the freaking healthy, twenty eight year old dude playing video games and laughing at us. Wasn't getting all his stuff paid for? Right? I don't know what you do with the reality of this. I think if you were to sit down with Carl Rove and.
Speaker 3: James Marvelle, I'm trying to be by partner, maybe Donald Trump, Donald Trump, Charles Crouthammer, Jesus and John Wayne. That's quite a crowd, they would say, Jackie boy, Joseph, here's the story.
Speaker 2: That's what politics is. Grow up.
Speaker 3: You always talk about trying to frighten or entice the herd in one direction or another, as if you're too good and too smart for that.
Speaker 2: That's politics. I understand what you're saying, that the politicians go out there and try to frighten you on this stuff. What I'm concerned about is we made it clear we weren't trying. We weren't claiming they're coming for your to take your disabled daughter's better care. Politicians will say that sort of stuff medicaip. Yeah, we weren't. We were saying the opposite, and it's still landed as if we were. That's what troubles me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's squarely in the department of things I can't do anything about. It's uh, it's striking. I totally get your uh being troubled by that.
Speaker 2: Like I said, if you're a politician, you get up on stage and make it clear that I'm not interested in cutting your social security. But people walk out of the room thinking they're going to take my social security. Yeah, well, that we're done here, then I guess yes, as a as a country, you mean yes, or as a system of government people, well, self governance doesn't work, that's my point.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, Well, the great Scottish philosopher what's his face, uh, with the you know, the republic will last only until the populace realizes they can vote themselves money from the treasury. And and what he didn't suspect is that, or maybe he did, was that there that politicians would be able to convince virtually all of the population that any effort to rein that in was indeed an attack on them and their well being. So, yeah, it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: The great.
Speaker 3: You know, overarching Joe Getty principle, there are actually several of them, many of them contradict each other, is that all systems can last only until those who had gained the system when over those who would protect the system, and it's like, you know, the constant battle between hackers and cybersecurity experts. There comes a point in a like a governmental system where accommodation of manipulating the voters and then manipulating the systems behind the scenes becomes so sophisticated that the immune system of a democracy is insufficient. It's like a septic infection in the bloodstream. So monarchy now, I don't know, I'm old. You all figured out. Good luck.
Speaker 2: If you're old already. Nobody is gonna touch your social security period. No, if you are actually disabled, nobody's gonna take your money period. Nobody wants to.
Speaker 3: Nobody's even suggested it, right, and yet it is the easiest cell in the world. If any Republicans say we're gonna rain in medicaid waste fraud abuse, they're gonna come take the money out of the mouths of your disabled children, and people believe them.
Speaker 2: So what are you gonna do.
Speaker 3: I'm in an accepting mood today. I have accepted it, probably because I'm excited about my new political part party.
Speaker 2: The f y'all it cans. You gotta have AI design a logo, because that's a good I like the.
Speaker 3: Capital F capital y apostrophe all dash, I dash cans f y'all it cans. We need an animal, though maybe the turkey is the donkey and the elephant, or taken clearly, maybe we have the turkey, has heard in a previous clip.
Speaker 2: Which Ben Franklin wanted to be our national bird. So enough politics.
Speaker 3: I've got a couple of stories about business, about you know, personal wealth, that sort of thing. Number one, so you're a crypto zillionaire, I'd start carrying a gun, hiding a guard and keeping your fingers hidden. Secondly, pipes, who's making the real money? What's the way to wealth?
Speaker 2: Become one of the stealthy wealthy the stealthy wealthy. It's doable and better yet it rhymes. Also, I watched the Minecraft movie with Henry over the weekend. I want to talk, Yeah, I want to talk about a couple of notable things that I think might be the future of motion pictures. Jack Black is so fat and greasy and doesn't care. That's what's interesting about him. He's got to be one of the biggest movie stars in the world, very very big in terms of making money. Seems to be unbathed. He does not care at all. I think he just shows up to He doesn't care how he looks at all, doesn't comb his hair, he doesn't find a shirt that fits, he doesn't wash his face. Yeah, it's weird. Anyway, more on that later's there.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show. Jack arms Strong and Joe Getty The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: Multiple cameras rolling as a ship strikes the Brooklyn Bridge. I don't know. Why is the Mexican navy at attacking our bridges? And why have we not fired back? Well, they're not.
Speaker 3: Very good at it, Great Scott. Anybody who's seen the video? Man, I just saw one from a different angle. Ooh, grizzly. There are a bunch of guys Mexican sailors up in the riggings. They got knocked down when they hit the Brooklyn Bridge.
Speaker 2: Oh they so it was a really tall ship. So as they were heading toward it, weren't there people weren't there? Weren't the people up there saying, well, that looks like that's about eye level. I'm getting held down. How don't we care if I got ordered to or not? Have we thought this through because that looks like we're not going to fit under there. Yeah, I think they lost power or something like that. Sketchy reports.
Speaker 3: It's a lot like going that cargo ship bashed into the bridge in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Speaking of boats, are you familiar with the premise of the television show Gilligan's Island from the sixties, Because some of you might not be.
Speaker 3: There's a bunch of helpfully laid out in the theme song every week if you need did a reminder.
Speaker 2: Back in the old days, they would tell you, I.
Speaker 3: Don't remember why these people were on there, what circumstances caused them to be so stranded.
Speaker 2: Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale. Back in the old days, they would lay out the premise of the show every week in the song for you. That was very, very handy. You take the take, you good, you take the bad, the facts of life, whatever the show was, they would tell you. But anyway, here's the story of a man named Brady exactly. But so you got you got this boat that ran into an island and they got stuck there, and the whole show is about they're stuck on this island and dealing with each other, and and you got cannibals, and.
Speaker 3: They're disconcertingly ineffective efforts to leave.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I thought this was really good from James Lindsay, who were big intellectual fans of On Twitter, he said, I think we often overestimate how much worse some things are now than they were in the past, And he linked this story about Gilligan's Island, which says at the height of Gilligan's Island popularity, which was nineteen sixty six, the US Coast Guard received twenty five hundred letters a week asking why the castaways hadn't been rescued yet.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, with James'sa's point being, see, we've always been a bunch of morons, or I had a lot of morons.
Speaker 2: I've got to take a moment to absorb that.
Speaker 3: And I assume they mean sincere letters, not like trolling by mail.
Speaker 2: I don't think trolling was a thing back then. Certainly you wouldn't take the time by mail twenty five hundred a week a week asking the Coastguard why they hadn't rescued Gilligan the Skipper and oh, in particular, if I'm a Coastguard mail, a young twenty two year old in Coastguard, I'm rescuing Marianne and Ginger right off the bat. Sure women and children first, Florius, that guy from that seventies what's that that Twitter feed? Everybody likes the seventies? Something wrong? Oh oh super seventy sports. He said, as you get older, you look at missus Howe and realize there's a third viable option on that alle.
Speaker 3: She was an attractive woman. Yeah, absolutely, ages, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, so many.
Speaker 3: Questions, how was the skipper still a peese after being stranded at an island for years?
Speaker 2: Going on? There metabolism problem, but so he did some wagovi the ultimate point being, and I think James Linzy makes a good point. We do overestimate the the percentage of people that are dumb or don't pay attention or whatever. It's not like everybody in the sixties or the eighteen fifties or whatever. We're learning Latin and studying the constitution, like Thomas Jefferson. Yeah right right, yeah, yeah, so true, Deer Coast Guard, why haven't you rescued?
Speaker 3: Gilligan signed for people are desperate and desperately incompetent they can't even build a raft.
Speaker 2: What is my tax money going? So you thought every TV show you were watching was a reality show in the sixties.
Speaker 3: And they didn't like ask why don't the camera people rescue them?
Speaker 2: That didn't even occur to them. No, boy, that is really dumb. Or the orchestra playing the music when you come back from commercials. They could have helped.
Speaker 1: Good Jack, Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: Joanna Stern writes about tech for The Wall Street Journal. She's very clever, as you're about to hear, and sounds down to earth and as I enjoy your writing.
Speaker 2: The opening a bit of this article tells it all.
Speaker 3: I've been wearing a wire everywhere since February. I've got all the transcripts important meetings, arguments with my kids, chats with disgruntled employees, late night bathroom routines. There's plenty more that I can't share if I want you to keep liking me. She has been willingly wearing a fifty dollars be Pioneer bracelet that records everything she says and uses AI to summarize her life and send her helpful reminders. Getting back to the article, I also tested two similar gadgets, the one hundred and ninety nine dollars Limitless Pendant and the one hundred and fifty nine.
Speaker 2: Dollars plowd Note pin.
Speaker 3: These assistants can recall every dumb, private, and cringe worthy thing that came out of my mouth. Is this the dawn of the AI surveillance state? Absolutely? Is it also the dream of hyper personal, all knowing AI assistance coming to life?
Speaker 2: Also? Yes? Absolutely? Yeah, it's funny. The first thing I thought of was, and usually I'm I'm my first go to is surveillance state. But my first thought was, Wow, if I had AI reminding me, hey, remember you're going to work on that to get in your real ID the deadline's coming up, I would love that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was just gonna say, if y'all are sitting there thinking what the hell good would this do me? She gets to that and it's pretty cool. Let me read more of her piece. Within hours of wearing the bee again, one of the three devices she tried, I was blown away how quickly it turned ramblings and random chatter into useful, actionable information yet allow me to quote myself from February twenty fourth at five point fifteen pm. Wow. Quote, this bracelet is really effing creepy. So here's how they work. And she mentions that all the denials we've heard through the years that social media apps are secretly listening to us too hard, too intense, too much data. Buhah, yeah, please, But all those devices do that. They detect dialogue, especially your voice, and they stream the audio to your phone via Bluetooth, then to companies where it's transcribed. AI models take the transcription and generate summaries, which appear in the apps within minutes. Now, one of the devices that does not save the audio.
Speaker 2: All it has is the transcriptions.
Speaker 3: The other one, limitless keeps the audio, letting you play back full recordings of everything you've said.
Speaker 2: Boy, oh boy, oh boy. But it's a little weird for us because I have full recordings of what I say four hours a day, five days a week the past thirty years. But so it's not as foreign to me. But but that'd be something.
Speaker 3: But you and I also have a heightened awareness of the difference between when the mics are on and when they're not. True and more than one good career has been ended because a mic was on somebody thought it was not. I've had a few disagree that bullet a couple of times ourselves.
Speaker 2: I've had a few disagreements in my life, like minor to major. Where would have been kind of handy to be able to go back and say, I'm pretty sure you didn't mention that to me. They said, yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: It's like to screen the commercials. Who is it an insurance commercial? Guy, I can't remember. Let's go to the tape and they go under the hood, right like NFL referees.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Katie, I'm just thinking this sounds like a wife's dream. The amount of time, like I told you we have dinner tonight at five, No you didn't. All let's go to the tape. Let's go to the tape, sir. That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Then she gets into some of the technical ups and downs, and Katie would love to have you comment on this to your heart's content. But and she gets into how AI is nothing without data. It needs data. So when you feed it everything you've said for days, weeks, and months, it gets infinitely more useful. Also, yes, it becomes a lot more like a black Mirror episode. But we'll get into that. She writes with massive transcripts of your life. The AI in these apps? Can they recap your conversations? Often reading like a bad biography? This is great. The b device summary from April ninths Joanna's day was a blend of familiar responsibilities and intense professional engagements. She ended the day listening to music by sting riveting stuff. Can't wait for the movie adaptation.
Speaker 2: Wow, there'd be some days. Excuse me, there'd be some days. Read me disappointed in the summary. You worked, you came home, you scrolled through Twitter, you ate crap and went to bed. Oh my your own business?
Speaker 1: AI.
Speaker 2: Who Jack has eating his twenty seventh double quarter pounder in this week? Yeah? Yeah, thanks?
Speaker 3: Wow track, Yeah it's Kenton, I am. The transcriptions themselves aren't all that accurate, but the summaries usually are well, except for March twenty fourth conversation with Johnny Cochrane about trial evidence.
Speaker 2: Yep, just a.
Speaker 3: Casual chat with a deceased celebrity lawyer, and she says, in parentheses, I was watching the new OJ documentary.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 3: But Jack, to your prescient point earlier, some of the ways that they're helpful is summarizing things and reminders. Turns out I promise to do a lot of things without putting them on a to do list. B listens for action items and adds them to suggested lists because they understand the verbiage in an action item. It's repeatedly reminded me of important tasks like calling the plumber or following up on work stuff. But it also hilariously adds things I'd never put on a list, like quote, check in on your six son, or schedule a follow up with your hairstylist to discuss your haircut.
Speaker 2: Let's see it analyzes, God, how great would that be? I'll bet this happens soon. And like a lot of things in life, we can't remember what it was like before it where you know, in ten years will be remember when you like now? Where I often think, you know, I go somewhere and I think, how did I used to get to places? I don't even remember how I used to get to places? Did I pull on a map? Or how did I even do it? Ask friendly strangers, right, well, yeah, Sometimes you'd pull into a gas station and say, you know, I'm looking for the sporting goods store, which I know is around here somewhere, but I could see here in a couple of years. Would be like, do you remember when you used to have to remember things or write them down on a post it note instead of having AI tell me, remember your son's got the volleyball game, so you got to pick them up from school early. That sort of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, I can't be the only person assembled friends who is not great at making to do lists. And how many times have I said, let me Jeff, Yeah, no, I won't bother, I'll remember it. I'll remember to make to do lists. How many times have I said when I think of it, I don't have time, and when I have time, I don't think of it. Correct Anyway, here's another thing it does both be and limitless. Have chatbots, you see, you can ask about your recorded life. I asked B for a detailed breakdown of my cursing habits daily average two point four curses. Please, you're not even trying, sweetheart, But it.
Speaker 2: Can be what are you a nun? Yeah? Two point four a day? Yeah, well it's impressive. Well she has kids, good for you? Well, well, yeah, you're never in the car alone and on my blanking way.
Speaker 3: But then she says it can be genuinely helpful, like quote, look through my chats with Ethan from B and tell me what AI model it uses. So reminders of factual things you heard in a conversation that are a little fuzzy.
Speaker 2: Now, God, I'm starting to think I might so all of this surveillance stuff we've all opted in, We've all decided we're going to carry around a tracking device with us all the time, and we all know that we just feel like the advantages outweigh the possible disadvantages. I think this might end up being true for recording everything. I say that the advantages will outweigh the you know how it could be misused? God, if you could quickly you wouldn't even have to listen to the conversation. If a I could go back through the transcript and it would say, yeah, your wife did tell you that you had dinner to night at five? Oh cramp eh um, or no they didn't. It might be handy. Yeah, I tell you. I would describe myself.
Speaker 3: And again I have a feeling I'm not unique in this is busy, well meaning and absent minded. And if my what sits could say to me, hey, remember you agreed to play golf with Gordy tomorrow afternoon. I'd be like, oh, shoot, right, because you know that's one of my great weaknesses.
Speaker 2: So here's how And you're built that way or you're not. It's so obvious because I got two kids that are completely different. I got one kid that's very close to me on terms of that stuff, kind of like you just describe my other kid. It's just all locked in his brain all the time. He knows where everything is, he knows what's on the schedule today, he knows. He just it's all there all the time. Yeah, but I can't. I can't try harder and that way. Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons my wife and I have escaped financial ruin and other bad fates is she's meticulous, and so you know when she like pays a bill late, it's alert the media. Now it's just what anyway, how they're creepy. February twenty third, five point fifteen, In a conversation with my mom, This bracelet has nothing to do with fitness.
Speaker 2: It records everything that's being said.
Speaker 3: As her mom was asking her, Nobody I'd talked to over the past few months would have known I was recording them if I hadn't told them. It's a little fun like I'm a low budget Ethan Hunt.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't get that references by some sort.
Speaker 3: Mostly though, I just felt like a creep and depending on the state, I might have been breaking the law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the other side of this, all that conversation stuff. Both ends of it should be uh as into it as maybe I would be. Otherwise, you're recording all your friends conversations. That's that's that's pretty dicey. And then.
Speaker 3: Some of these are just hilarious because they have transcripts and summaries right of your various conversations. This one's labeled interaction with pet dog Browser. I think it's Bowser, but maybe it is Browser. That's a very writer a thing to name your dog. Here's the transcript. Someone scolded browser for chewing something Speaker one, Browser, What are you doing? Speaker one again? Can you not chew your whatever? Speaker one again?
Speaker 2: Browser? Some good transcripts. Yeah, oh, that is some useful stuff.
Speaker 3: Most of my recordings were in New Jersey and New York, which are one party consent states, and I'd agreed, but if I were in one of about a dozen states that require two party consent. I need permission from everyone in earshot or end up with a possible civil liability case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how that's gonna work, and states where you got to have two party consent.
Speaker 3: And then she quotes a lawyer, Jack, who surprisingly says you better not, which is what lawyers are paid to say. More specifically, he says I would make sure everyone has consented verbally, and while the risk might be low, he adds, we would never recommend people take that risk.
Speaker 2: Well, geez, I mean if somebody walks up to me and says, I wear a device that records all of our conversations, just want to make sure that's okay with you, I'd be an automatic no f f all the way off exactly how far away can you get in the next ten seconds? Get there? How does this benefit me in any way? There's only downside.
Speaker 3: So any thoughts, usefulness, hazards, etcetera. Drop us a note mail bag at Armstrong and getty dot com. We'll hit them around the same time tomorrow.
Speaker 2: During the show, he kind of reminded me of stuff though, remembers what I said. That'd be cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they could refine it to promises and actions. And of course, you know, in the scenario we've we've talked about a couple of times, it would have to be recording my wife saying, don't don't forget we're having dinner with the Joneses next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: But it does it also record remember the other night when you said you'd blank my blank. Oh no, you don't know.
Speaker 3: Of course, it'd be good to have a transcript. Funny right here in black and white.
Speaker 2: I see it's here. Not trying to be argumentative here, but read the transfer eight seventeen on April the third. I mean, it's just it's just a fact.
Speaker 1: Strong The Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 5: Show a shadowy network called seven sixty four whose goal is to spark violence and chaos around the world, in part by luring in unsuspecting teenagers. Seven sixty four targets kids on social media and gaming platforms, extorting them into sending violent and sexual content. The FBI is warning parents to pay attention to who their kids are talking to on social media and gaming platforms.
Speaker 2: The FBI's investigating more.
Speaker 5: Than two hundred and fifty suspects tied to seven sixty four, with every.
Speaker 2: Field office involved. Well, that's just dandy. I am a parent of teenagers who'd never even heard of that in my life until two seconds ago. So that's just great. Let's just put that on the long list of things you can be concerned about if your kid's got a phone.
Speaker 3: Not so fast, there's more to be concerned about if your kid has a phone. I was just reading that the hacker ring that you may remember put Vegas out of commission?
Speaker 2: What was that six months ago?
Speaker 3: A year ago? I don't know, time flies when year old, but they brought down all those casinos for a time. That is a very loosely assembled group of bored, malcontent, mischievous youngsters who call themselves the con something like that, and this specific subgroup of the subgroup calls themselves scattered Spider, I guess, and they just they hack into various corporations and companies and government institutions and stuff like that for fun and mischief, and sometimes they steal, but sometimes they.
Speaker 2: Just screw with it. That whole keep track of who your kids talk to on social media and everything like that sounded a lot easier before, well before my kids got old enough to be involved in that world, and as far as I can tell, I'm more strict than a lot of my son's friends parents are, and it's still just I mean, there's just so many opportunities for them to be involved with bad people. I mean, unless I'm gonna be over his shoulder all the time, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was a very big fan as a parent, partly for that reason, and I completely support the idea of trying not to trying to eliminate opportunities to do bad things one hundred percent. But I realized at one point what you're talking about, and so I just really emphasized the underlying principles right behind doing some things and not doing some things, and how extremely important they were to me as their dad and their moms certainly, but how important and fundamentally they are to being a good person and a bad person. And then when they're loose on the town and they're presented with temptation, you hope and pray they make the right choice, and or if they make the wrong choice, it's not a disaster, right, which.
Speaker 2: Has a lot to do with their friend group and everything else, which has always been true, And the opportunity to get in trouble is exponentially greater now than it was twenty years ago. I mean, it's just a completely different world. You couldn't order heroin and in a machine gun from any tiny town in America when I was in high school, or come across a you know, an international pedophile sex ring. It just wasn't gonna happen. Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: I was going to bring up a kind of vague philosophical theme about the modern world. Don't really have time to get into it now, but.
Speaker 2: Has to do.
Speaker 3: And I can't get into specifics in my little world. Really, You'll have to forgive me for that for now. But a friend of mine characterized kind of a mood as the slime from the Ghostbusters movies, the original Ghostbuster, the early eighties, classic early eighties, like eighties three.
Speaker 2: When was that out?
Speaker 3: Anyway, You may recall that when all the ghosts were running wild in New York City, one of the things they did was like spread this green slime around. The effect it had was not just you know, green slime is effect enough, yck, but but it caused New Yorkers to be angry and disagreeable and turn on each other.
Speaker 2: And we're just gussing a very local context. And also.
Speaker 3: The angst and unhappiness of youth, and the fact that incumbents all over the developed world are getting tossed out of office, and the parties that have been fairly stable and in power, you know, they switch places now and again, but they're just getting tossed aside. There is a near global feeling of angst and unhappiness that I don't.
Speaker 2: Ever recall before. True What do we do with this information? To do about it? We get used to it, do we settle into some or it just keeps getting worse by heroin and machine guns on the internet, like you're discussing earlier
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Orgio podcasts, and our hot links,