Speaker 1: KFI AM 640. You're listening to the John Kobelt podcast on the iHeartRadio app. KFI AM 640. More stimulating talk radio. John Kobelt's show continues. And we are on every day from 3 until 6. And if you miss anything, after 6 o'clock, John Kobelt's show on demand on the iHeart app. And people are donating. We have a GoFundMe that we're doing here for Ray Lopez. Well, actually, for his dog, Rocco. Rocco... hurt himself badly. He took a jump or a fall from a chair and wrecked his leg, needed expensive surgery to put his leg back together again. Rocco's a really cute Pomeranian. So we're asking you if you'd help out. Like Ray said, he's been doing this for 26 years with us and he's never asked you for anything. So if you could just help Rocco out, it would be wonderful. And GoFundMe.com, There's links on all the social media pages. If you go right to the website, it's titled Help Ray and Rocco with Surgery. Rocco is R-O-C-C-O. And just look at that cute guy.
Speaker 2: He is very cute.
Speaker 1: And he's wearing the cone of shame around his head.
Speaker 2: That's the worst when your dogs have to wear that.
Speaker 1: My dog got so depressed. Oh, yeah. He had an eye infection this year, and that cost a whopping amount of money. Let me tell you, veterinary care, that's another racket.
Speaker 2: My dog has had three lumps, and I just went to the vet. On Sunday, $ 600. Fortunately, it's not cancerous, so I'm very thankful. Three weeks before that, two of them, $ 1, 000. I don't have pet insurance, so I've just spent $ 1, 600 on non-cancerous, which I'm not complaining, lumps.
Speaker 1: Some people get upset. I spent all that money, and you're telling me it's not cancer? No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know that sounds weird. I'm just saying it's so expensive, but I'm so grateful that.
Speaker 1: My dog's okay. It can be... I remember a long time ago, we had a cat, and she lived 19 years. But the first time she had a health problem, nobody could figure it out. My wife and I had just moved in together. We didn't have any money. And it's like, you know what? This is the last shot. If this doesn't work, what's going to happen?
Speaker 3: Sorry, cat.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And what happened?
Speaker 1: We miraculously came back. It's a longer story. It actually was fascinating because I'd never owned a pet before, and I couldn't believe what this thing was costing me. And I remember telling my wife, why don't we just have a kid? I mean, at least we....
Speaker 2: But we debate about the pet insurance because we pay all this money every month and.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Then, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Let's get Megan Barth on. Megan is with CaliforniaGlobe.com. And she had a story, which just the headline is enough to boil your blood. California paid 250 state workers more than $ 600, 000 each. Last year, one of them took home $ 2. 3 million. Megan, welcome. How are you?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm kind of sick to my stomach.
Speaker 4: You know, I wrote this a few days ago, and I just honestly couldn't believe every time I look into California and how you guys just basically take fire to money. But then the abuse of these civil servants, that they have just basically it's codified. The abuse that they inflict on the taxpayer is evident in this report.
Speaker 6: And I'm going to give you just one guy, okay?
Speaker 4: And what your listeners should understand is that these salaries are forever until these people die because this becomes part of their pensions. So this is why you are basically underwater by hundreds of millions of dollars in your pensions because of, and you know, I love cops. My grandfather was a cop, okay? I got nothing against cops. I think cops should be well-paid, right? But a CHP sergeant by the name of Leonard Kambuk, maybe he's listening, he booked in overtime in the last three years of his service nearly $ 900, 000 So guess what that did to his pension pay? His regular salary on average for years, from 2017 to about 2024, he ranged.
Speaker 6: From about $ 150, 000 to $ 190, 000. Now, you know, that kind of makes sense.
Speaker 4: It's a price of living increase, the CCI, okay?
Speaker 6: But his overtime. Is where the goods are.
Speaker 4: Because in 2017 through like 2021, he was booking about $ 30, 000 to $ 40, 000 of overtime.
Speaker 6: He had one outlier of like 63.
Speaker 4: But you go up to 2022, 2023.
Speaker 6: And 2024 for Leonard, And let's just remind the audience.
Speaker 4: Leonard retired in 2025. So these last three years were really important to Leonard, especially when it came to overtime. Because he went from booking like.
Speaker 5: $ 37, 000 in 2022, $ 162, 000.
Speaker 6: In 2023, $ 294, 000 in overtime.
Speaker 4: In 2024, $ 436, 423 in overtime.
Speaker 6: Giving Leonard Tombaugh.
Speaker 4: A CHP sergeant, a total pay and benefit package on his way out the door of $ 813, 500.
Speaker 6: Yes!
Speaker 4: And you guys got to pay Leonard, I think 90% of that, for the rest of Leonard's life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that could go on. He's probably not that old already, right? Because police retire relatively young, usually in their 50s. So we could have 40 more years of paying Leonard big fat pension checks. Yep.
Speaker 4: And Leonard's just one of thousands. So the guy that made the $ 2. 3 million, he's the head, the CIO of CalPERS, your pension fund.
Speaker 1: This is fascinating because this is the State Union Workers Pension Fund. And yeah, Stephen Gilmore is the chief investment officer, 2.3 million. But I noticed that the top 10, I think it's the top 10 earners in the state, all from CalPERS or these CalPERS top 10 earners. All right. So the top 10.
Speaker 4: The top 10 in CalPERS, they all made over a million dollars a year. Up to $ 2 million.
Speaker 1: Arnold Phillips, 1.7 is in second place. You go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 6: You want to think about the wolves of Wall Street? These are the wolves of the West Coast. But these are the wolves of taxpayers.
Speaker 4: I mean, taxpayers are responsible for each of these 10-person salaries. Stephen Gilmore, CIO, 2.3 million. Arnold Phillips. Managing Investment Director, $ 1. 73 million. Daniel Bienvenu, Deputy Chief Investment Officer, because you need a deputy, I guess.
Speaker 1: That's $ 1.
Speaker 6: 6 million.
Speaker 5: And it just keeps going on.
Speaker 4: The CEO of CalPERS, Marcy Frost, she made $ 1.
Speaker 5: 6 million.
Speaker 1: There's 15 CalPERS officers and executives cleared $ 1 million last year. Hang on the line. I want to talk about some of the other categories here. These prison psychiatrists. This is going to make you bang your head against the wall. When we come back, more with Megan Barth from CaliforniaGlobe.com. 250 state workers made more than $ 600, 000 last year. $ 2. 3 million went to the top earner.
Speaker 3: You're listening to John Kobelt on demand from KFI AM640.
Speaker 1: KFI AM 640, more stimulating talk radio. John Cobell Show. And we're live on YouTube, live on X. And we're going to be talking with Carl DeMaio after 5 o'clock, the Republican Assemblyman, about Newsom getting dealt a defeat by his own party. He was trying to put a cap on how much money power companies would have to pay out for all the wildfires they caused. We'll talk about that coming up. Megan Barth is continuing with us from CaliforniaGlobe.com. She has discovered that there's $ 600, 000 of your tax money going to 250 state workers. One of them, who runs the pension fund, is getting $ 2. 3 million. Megan, let's talk about these prison psychiatrists.
Speaker 4: You know, honestly, I didn't even know there was such a thing that was part of the state government.
Speaker 6: But here we are. I live in Nevada. I'm sure we have them, too.
Speaker 4: The prison state psychiatrist, Samita Gandhi, $ 873, 872 a year for life. Olivia Del Pilar, $ 841, 878 a.
Speaker 5: Year for life. And Damon Walcott, $ 822, 971 a year for life.
Speaker 6: What do they do? Are they the ones who decide that some.
Speaker 4: Of these crazy?
Speaker 1: Psychotics can be let out early?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great question. I was saying earlier that I'm going.
Speaker 4: To be digging more into this because honestly, you know, living in Nevada for as long as I have, I hadn't realized that the state has gotten completely, I was in California for 20 years. There weren't these jumps. And I've been reporting on the news for 20 years, I think.
Speaker 6: And I don't remember these jumps.
Speaker 4: Clearly, there is an incentive for union employees to basically stack their overtime in the last two to three years of their employment before they retire. Because how does one sergeant, California Highway Patrol, Leonard Kahnbach, how does he book $ 436, 000 in overtime in one year?
Speaker 5: Are there that many days?
Speaker 1: Are there that many hours? It doesn't seem mathematically possible, but I don't know what the formula is when they start getting a time and a half or double time for this.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 5: And so, but there is an incentive.
Speaker 4: There is a clear incentive to, for quote-unquote civil servants. When I think of servants, I don't think of servants making $ 2. 3 million a year. I don't think of servants booking $ 436, 000 in overtime and retiring at $ 813, 000. Servants and those salaries just don't equate. I just can't wrap my head around it, but here we are.
Speaker 1: About 15 years ago, the budget was $ 100 billion. It's now three and a half times that. The budget has grown three and a half times as much in 15 years because of stuff like this.
Speaker 6: That's correct.
Speaker 4: And what you have now, when you look at Gavin's latest budget, he's got like $ 11.
Speaker 6: 8 billion just in the next four years for extra pensions.
Speaker 4: CalPERS, the pension fund, is upside down by $ 153 million, and Stephen Gilmore, who got.
Speaker 6: A bonus.
Speaker 4: Because he, I guess, got 11.6% return. This is funny math.
Speaker 1: No, and the unions own the place, the public service unions. Thank you. They've got the deed to the Sacramento government. And there seems to be no way to stop them. You could throw out the politicians. Nobody does. But you'd still have the unions owning the next guy who becomes governor.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 1: And then they complain that they have to show up for work.
Speaker 4: Let me give you this statistic that just popped out to me from my report. Civil service headcount, so this is the number of state employees, rose 23% between 2017 and 18 and 2024 to 25.
Speaker 6: Last year, more than.
Speaker 4: 1,700 state workers banked over $ 100, 000 in overtime alone.
Speaker 1: Well, there's no restraint on this at all.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 1: You have one party rule. The union sets the terms of the contract, and Newsom and the rest of them just say yes. You want more? And they go, yes, okay, we'll give you more. That's the extent of the negotiations. That's right.
Speaker 6: You got it.
Speaker 4: So until there is political change, you know, perhaps in California, nothing's going to change. But the unions are going to have to be taken on by somebody because this is unsustainable. You know, the left loves to talk about sustainability of this, that, and the other, and that's why we have to use paper straws that don't work and all this crap.
Speaker 6: This is not sustainable.
Speaker 4: This is fiscal Armageddon. Someone's going to have to pay for this. And at the rate that the businesses are leaving California.
Speaker 1: Someone has to fill the hole. Yeah, and this is why the tax rates are where they are. People wonder why the tax is so high. Because you have the unions looting the place, among a hundred other things. Megan Barr, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 5: Anytime.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: CaliforniaGlobe.com. You should read this. Read this. Well... Don't read it after you eat dinner because it'll probably make you throw up. Carl DeMaio coming up after 5 o'clock. Gavin Newsom lost on– it's very rare that he gets a loss. Usually everything gets rubber-stamped by the Democratic Assembly and State Senate, but Newsom's a lame duck, and he wanted to give protection on his way out the door to the power companies that started all the bad fires, because he wants their campaign contributions for president, the corrupt bastard. And the Assembly and the State Senate said no. Talk to Carl DeMaio about this when we come back. Deborah Mark is live in the KFI, well, after 5 o'clock, I should say.
Speaker 3: You're listening to John Kobelt, On Demand, from KFI AM640.
Speaker 1: KFI AM 640, more stimulating talk radio. John Cobelt's show. We're on from 3 to 6 after 6. John Cobelt's show on demand on the iHeart app. Moist line is 877-MOIST-86. 877-MOIST-86. Or use the talkback feature on the iHeart radio app. Listen to this. I heard. Sean Duffy, who's the head of the Department of Transportation in the Trump administration on Fox Business this morning. And he was explaining this big crackdown going on. And Megan Barth has a story on this as well. A crackdown on the trucker schools around the country who have been allegedly training illegal aliens who don't speak English to drive all those huge trucks you see on the freeways. And those things are terrifying. Now, legitimate truckers who are trained and somewhat educated and know English, that's hard work. They get paid really well, and they should. But a lot of these trucks are driven by literally guys who crawled across the border off the street yesterday. Wait till you listen to this, because one of the worst states in the country for these fraudulent trucking schools, California, of course. Anyway, DOT issued an emergency order, shut down 110 trucker schools around the country. Fraudulently certifying drivers who later failed English tests. English language proficiency tests. California had 11 of these. Texas and Pennsylvania had 13. Florida had 10. And some of these schools were online with no physical location. Here's one California trucking school, Platinum Plus Truck Driving School in Fresno. 36 drivers were certified there. Found out they couldn't speak English. Couldn't pass a test. One of the trainees was involved in a fatal crash in Oklahoma. These guys can't read the signs. They don't know what the signs mean. They perform all kinds of illegal maneuvers.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 1: They've killed people, including here in California. And Newsom allowed this, and he's fought the Trump administration on this. This is what's wacky. Illegal aliens can't speak English, get licenses from these fraudulent truck schools. All of this should be under state supervision. Newsom allowed it all. When he was exposed, went to court. When they brag about all the lawsuits against the Trump administration, this is the kind of crap we're talking about here. Officials said every one of these 110 schools that were shut down across the country had passed at least 10 drivers who were later pulled over and cited for failing their English language proficiency requirement. So do the math on that. 110 schools, at least 10 drivers. That's over 1,100 drivers. See, the federal law is you have to be able to communicate and understand in English. And it's been like that forever. Only now. when Biden let in, everybody, literally everybody on the planet could come to this country. And next thing you know, they're driving an 18-wheeler down Interstate 5. And they don't know what they're looking at. They don't know the laws. They don't know the language. They're just sitting in this big thing with a ton of goods in the back. Sean Duffy said, you have to speak English to operate a commercial motor vehicle. I didn't create that rule. Trump didn't create that rule. They're actually trying to defend and explain themselves when this was obvious all my life. So much of this stuff, did you ever question? Did you ever question in your life whether a guy driving an 18-wheeler, one of these big tractor trailers, did you ever question whether he should speak English or not? My dad came to this country from Poland. I've talked about this many times. It took him five years to become a citizen. He had to go to classes to learn English. Now, he didn't speak it really well. could understand it. He didn't understand me, but he could understand English. That was a separate school to understand me. Nobody went to that school. Homeland Security Secretary Mark Wayne Mullen, he said it's the sanctuary laws. Oh, yeah, that's another reason they're so proliferate. They have proliferated here in California, the stupid sanctuary laws. So you could be an illegal alien. You could be an illegal alien criminal. You could be an illegal alien criminal who can't speak English. You'll get a fraudulent driver's license from a corrupt illegal trucking company or this trucking school. They did a sweep at more than 200 driving schools across 23 states. They not only found this illegal driver problem, They found identity document fraud. These guys are driving around with fake IDs. Now they're probably voting too. Unauthorized employment, labor exploitation, money laundering, cartel activity. Oh my God, cartel activity. So these guys, they come from Mexico and they get a license to drive a truck. They're probably driving the drugs around, dropping off the meth and the fentanyl. drug and human smuggling networks. That's right. They've got a truckload of teenage girls in the back that they're going to sell in prostitution. Department of Transportation has already revoked tens of thousands of improperly issued licenses. Just here in California, tens of thousands. Newsom has run such a corrupt state. The feds have withheld transportation funding from the state. We're going to sue over that. And a significant share of these commercial driving licenses violated federal standards. I'll give you an example of what the consequences of this case you forgot. There was a truck driver named Jashanpreet Singh of Yuba City, 21-year-old illegal alien who broke the law when he came into the United States, but released by the Joe Biden crowd. He was driving a semi truck and plowed it into several vehicles, including a van and the back of another semi, killed three people, injured four. He never hit his brakes. He never tried to maneuver out of the way. He just kept rumbling down the road and wiped out, killed three people, injured four. California had given him a commercial driver's license. Now, also, the Department of Transportation is proposing to close another 160 schools. They closed 110. There's another 160 on the block. They found... 40% failed basic requirements. Unqualified instructors. No space to practice driving the truck. The trainees left unmonitored. One of the places had a classroom that was the back of a truck. That's where they taught the class, inside the back of a truck. They didn't have a classroom for this. They didn't have a track to drive the trucks on. So you're getting people... And they're getting hired because there's a huge need for truck drivers. But guess who gets squeezed out? The legal truck drivers. And their wages are depressed. These trucks are 80,000 pounds. 80,000 pounds. They can't read the signs. They can't understand the dispatchers. They can't talk to a state trooper. Nusiv thought it was okay, and so did everybody in his bureaucracy. And people died, and our narcissistic sociopath doesn't care. It's just like, hey, your family dies in a fire? He doesn't care. In fact, he wants to protect the utility companies that started the fire. And here? Did your family get killed by an unlicensed illegal alien driver? He doesn't care. He wants to protect that guy. Coming up.
Speaker 3: You're listening to John Cobelt on demand from KFI AM 640.
Speaker 1: KFI AM 640 live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Follow us at John Cobelt Radio on social media. At John Cobelt Radio. We're live on YouTube. Live on X. You can subscribe and become a member on YouTube. Go to YouTube.com slash at John Cobelt Show. This is a Deborah story. The PETA people are acting up again with stupid stuff. People for the ethical treatment of animals, who we talked to one of their spokesholes recently because they continue to do nothing to help Joey Tucci and all the suffering animals on Skid Row. Well, PETA paid money to set up a memorial at Pitzer College in Claremont in the dining hall. Get this. Honoring animals that are killed for food. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: The memorial honors the cows, the pigs, the chickens, and all the other animals who've been served as food at the college.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: First memorial.
Speaker 4: In the nation.
Speaker 1: First memorial in the nation. Isn't eating them a way of memorializing them? It's a way of honoring them.
Speaker 4: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. No. Sure, they're so tasty and they're so nutritious.
Speaker 2: No, they would rather be pets.
Speaker 1: You want a pig as a pet?
Speaker 2: If I had a big yard, I would love to have a little farm.
Speaker 1: These animals wouldn't exist. At least they enjoy a short time living on the planet. Okay, John, let me ask you this, John. Otherwise, they'd never exist. No.
Speaker 6: Then.
Speaker 2: Why do they have brains? Why do they feel pain? If they were only here to go in your stomach, then doesn't it make sense that they wouldn't feel pain, that they would not have brains, that they would just be, I don't know. I don't even know how to describe it. But no, they feel pain. They're animals.
Speaker 1: Because they feel pain, I can't eat them.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 2: Don't shake your head, Eric.
Speaker 1: Just because they feel pain, it brings me comfort. Yes. I need sustenance.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is that they're innocent animals that are being killed for you to eat. There's plenty of other food that you can eat. You don't have to eat animals.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you only want us to eat the defective ones?
Speaker 2: No, I don't want you to eat any of them. I don't want them killed.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: Have some quinoa. I live on that. I'm fine.
Speaker 1: You're five feet tall and 100 pounds. You see what happens? Okay. We're grown men. Okay. We have to go out and fight wars.
Speaker 2: Women fight wars, too.
Speaker 1: Those women eat meat.
Speaker 2: Maybe not.
Speaker 1: There's nobody five feet tall and 100 pounds fighting a war.
Speaker 2: My question, though, for PETA, because I think this is great, you know? Hats off to you, PETA. But why don't we have a memorial on Skid Row memorializing the animals that have been killed by the.
Speaker 1: Drug dealers and the drug users? They haven't lifted one finger on the Skid Row problem. Come on, PETA.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 1: Come on. So going by your logic, right, how much pain are the dogs of Skid Row.
Speaker 2: Yes and they're not even being eaten no they're.
Speaker 1: Being experimented on for drugs yes.
Speaker 2: So if anybody from PETA is listening why don't you erect a memorial in skid row for all the animals that have been tortured and abused.
Speaker 1: Better yet why don't you go and stop take the animals forcibly rescue them they're always doing stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Around the world right why are we not doing that.
Speaker 1: No they won't do that why won't they do.
Speaker 2: That pita you'll get more coverage doing that instead this college.
Speaker 1: They do silly stuff so they're gonna call you i guess it's a sculpture or it's.
Speaker 2: A good it's a good it's a cute story i mean i obviously like it But I just think they would get more play, and it would be better for humanity.
Speaker 1: It's not going to change anybody's diet. If I was a college student, I'm still ordering the cheeseburger every day. That's you. I'm laughing at the memorial. That's you. I'm mocking the memorial. So you don't think we should eat living things, Debra?
Speaker 2: Okay, I know that there's a catch here, so I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 1: I've got to answer that. Do you think we should eat living things?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Well, then you shouldn't eat plants. Plants are living things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew it. My brain didn't work fast enough, but I knew there was a catch.
Speaker 1: Now, listen to this. I thought, you know, the coddling of college students started about 10 years ago, 12 years ago. I remember 2014. First, I started noticing this. I thought it had faded out some with the demise of the woke obsession, but Harvard Law School. No bigger law school in the country. Supreme Court justices come from Harvard Law School. But now they're so worried about the sensitivities of freshmen that as part of the orientation program, they are providing low sensory rooms on campus established for orientation. And they have weighted blankets, dim lighting, fidget toys, in case these law students need a break from the noise. Now, to be in law school, you've got to be probably at least 22 years old. You have 22-year-old people. During World War II, 22-year-olds were sent to fight the Nazis and the Japanese. Now, these coddled little wieners get blankets, dim lighting, fidget toys. Fidget toys! Also, another campus space was refashioned as a wellness lounge for orientation. So the would-be lawyers will mix and mingle with their classmates while relaxing in our massage chairs and enjoying low-key crafts and activities.
Speaker 2: I didn't have any of this.
Speaker 1: This is what you have in toddler camp. When I was eight years old, I'd go to a camp at a local school, and that's what they had. They had crafts. And fidget toys. You can make your own toys. Oh, and the document that lists all these amenities has a link to a map. A map of gender-inclusive restrooms. So you know where you're going to see the men dressed as women. on their way to getting their law degrees. Second day of orientation includes a team problem-solving field trip at a gaming center. Its experience is described as like a video game, but you do it in real life or being part of a movie in real life, but you don't experience it from the audience. It's called Bodeborg. It's like being in an escape room. This is the second day of law school. This is so sad. Now college students are treated as infants, and they welcome this. They welcome being treated as infants. If I went to a school, and here's your blankie, here's your fidget toy, here's the gender-inclusive restroom map. I'd start punching people. I'd be kicking them in the shins. It's like my family's just giving you $ 100, 000 for this tuition. I don't want your freaking fidget toy. I don't want the day at Boda Borg. Infants, toddlers, and you see them now. They come and work at a real office, and they're children. They're oversensitive, and they pout a lot. We come back. All right, we're going to return to a story we opened with because we have Carl DeMaio on to talk about it. He's a Republican assemblyman, and he's going to explain what went on in Sacramento the last few days. Gavin Newsom wanted to pass a bill that would protect the power companies from damages. For the fires that they start, you know, when they murder people and burn down entire towns. Well, they want protection from that. And the Democrats in the legislature said no. Talk about it when we come back. Deborah Mark live in the KFI 24-hour newsroom. You've been listening to the John Kobelt Show podcast. You can always hear the show live on KFI AM 640 from 3 to 6 p.m. every Monday through Friday. And of course, anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app. KFI AM 640. More stimulating talk.