Speaker 1: Taking a Walk. Buzz Night the host of the Taking a Walk podcast.
Speaker 2: And one of the things I love doing is discovering new podcast especially music podcast And there's a great one that started as a YouTube channel, still is a YouTube channel, and now it's a podcast.
Speaker 1: It's called The Professor of Rock.
Speaker 2: And we're here to talk to Adam Reader, the professor himself. Hey Adam, Hey, how's going It's going great. I wanted to ask you this question. Yeah, with all the many interviews you have done, I think you've done into eight hundred of them. I think as the Professor of Rock, is there one takeaway that you find from musicians that kind of gives insight into what their creative process is all about?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know, one thing that I have found that has been common with most of the artists that I've interviewed, especially the older uh, the old school uh or the ogs. I guess if you would call them the you know, I man, I had three hours with Leman Dozer from Holland Dozer to Holland that wrote all the great motown songs for the Four Tops and the Supremes and Martha and the Van Del's and uh. And then you know, I love interviewing like songwriters like Berry Man and Cynthia While who wrote You've Lost that love and feeling and on Broadway and uh, and then you know Brian Wilson, one of my heroes.
Speaker 1: Uh, Beach Boys, genius.
Speaker 3: Uh. A lot of these artists, they they didn't have a plan B. You know, they didn't have a plan B. They wanted to do music and that was it. And that, I mean, it was it was a music or bust. And I really respect that because, I mean I grew up in a in a small town where education was really important and and it was like, you got to go get your degree. You gotta go do this, You got to get your mortgage and your two point five kids and and live that that life that that to traditional, your traditional life. And uh, it was kind of pushed onto us that you've got to go do this. This is this is the path you have to go get a degree. And and uh, these artists they didn't follow that path. They they didn't care. You know, they they had a guitar in their hand from the age of six, you know, like Neil Sean from Journey or Steve Lucather from Toto, and and you know that was their craft and they were they were going to make it in music or they were going to starve. And and I really think that's an incredible mentality because they they were just driven by their art. They were driven by writing and crafting and creating music. And I really respect that drive. And so that that's one thing that I've I've found in common.
Speaker 1: And I mean, if you were.
Speaker 3: If I go speak at you know, schools and colleges, and you know, if I were to tell a high school I've mentioned this before, people are a little shocked. You can't say that, you know, you can't say just go after with everything you have. But really they did. They didn't have a plan B. It was like they were going to make it music and that was that.
Speaker 1: So that's great.
Speaker 2: I have discovered the same thing from talking to so many folks, and it's a great lesson to be learned. If you really believe in something and believe in yourself, then take that no plan B approach for sure.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Adam Reid to the Professor of Rock.
Speaker 2: Check out the podcast on all the platforms, Apple and Spotify and wherever you get your podcasts, and coming up on a future episode of Taking a Walk Adam and I are going to talk about the amazing Led Zeppelin documentary, which I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm going to look forward to that.
Speaker 1: Thanks Adam, thank you.