Speaker 1: What's that at the bed? It's spooky and jukie. I'm pretty sure it's dead. It's coming this way. Wait a minute, I ghosted.
Speaker 2: Nandas Pllease hey boo, it's me Ros and welcome to Ghosted.
Speaker 1: By Roz Hernandez, the podcast where I talk to people that I like about the para normal You guys, So, I saw Oh Mary on Broadway, the hit play, which is so funny. Cola Scola is a genius. I mean, I just had the time of my life watching this play and there was one of the stars, James Scully on stage, just just brilliant, and we got to talking and I invited him on the pod and we had a great time. Okay, I think you're gonna like this one. You know, I'm on tour right now, so make sure you go see me all over America doing stand up comedy and gay bars. Ros Hernandez tour dot com is where you can find those tickets. I think we'll just skip a story for this intro because we got this is a beefy one we get into it. So here is my conversation with actor Broadway star James Scully on with the show. Oh my god, I don't believe it. I feel as if I have manifested the Cutie Convention is in town, and I had no clue because I am joined today via Skype by James Scully.
Speaker 3: Hello. Hello. I didn't know where that was going.
Speaker 1: I didn't either, clearly.
Speaker 3: I just and then I realized, like, wait, am I the Cutie Convention?
Speaker 1: You are the Cuty Convention? But I guess you're not technically in town. You're in Are you in New York City right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I'm in I'm in Romantic Bushwick. Ever heard of this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I stay there sometimes. I saw you in Oh Mary, and I was like, this is incredible. I mean I already knew that, like the reviews. The reviews had been in by the time I saw it. But then I was like, who is this? You were so fantastic, Thank you Zarl. Now I'm fully obsessed with you.
Speaker 3: Oh same.
Speaker 1: Is that place haunted? That theater has to be haunted.
Speaker 3: The Lyceum. I have personally never had any experiences there, as much as I like walk around in that building alone, sort of like making space for a cold gust or a chill down my spine. There is a staircase that sort of goes up the tower where the dressing rooms are, and at the top of the building there's like an apartment up there that the Schubert's own that's an archive of like artifacts of all of their many contributions to the art form. And because we're not allowed up there, there's like a gate over the stairwell and then it just sort of ascends up into darkness. And while it has not happened yet, I am waiting for the day that as I walk past to go down to the stage, I look up and there on the shadowy landing there's just you know, like a pioneer woman, a flapper, a child. Yeah, just translucent sort of staring at me. The stage is set for that, but you know, I'm sure theater goes. They're not just going to show off to anyone.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're safe. I guarantee A chorus member fell down that staircase at some point to there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've fallen down that staircase.
Speaker 1: I didn't die, but I'm sure you know that one of these it's always a lady in white at every theater, and I'm sure she had her long ass white down on and she tripped over it and fell down the stairs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Bianca Lee bless her heart, knocking on Wood's pounds. Hoopskirt, isn't she just? Yeah? There is like a legend that I forget what the name of the actress is, but that her husband, who was a director, there's like a like in the in the ceiling of the actual theater space, there's like a trap door that opens up to the apartment above the theater, and when she would perform, he would open the trap door and lean down so he could like see down to the stage, and he thought she was overacting. He would wave a white handkerchief to basically be like, do less. Yeah, film we're going filmic with this one. Yeah. And they say that if you look up during a performance, then you're not, you know, giving what needs to be given. You might see a white handkerchief in the dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shade from the other side.
Speaker 3: I could not have put it better myself.
Speaker 1: I'm googling Lyceum Theater haunted. This is from playbill dot Com during the twenty ten run of The Scottsborough Boys. Coleman Domingo, Gee, im right down, Coleman Domingo. We got we gotta know someone that can get Coleman Domingo in here. I'm a protest with him. Do you know his story of how he met his partner? No, I forgot, I'll google it. But it's also kind of paranormal. Okay, So Coleman Domingo said, quote the Friday of our last weekend, things were happening backstage and on stage with the lights and the computer equipment. We definitely felt we were in the presence of ghosts. All right.
Speaker 3: I love though that he It's like, no, there was probably just a power surge. But you can always rely on the fun the homosexual to be like, no, it's ghosts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more fun that way, for sure.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely more fun that way. Who cares about bad wiring. Let's make a ghost.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, where's where I have another one? I just found another one that said something about Bob Fosse.
Speaker 3: I've already made this joke, but I would love Bob Fosse to be in here, and all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, zoh.
Speaker 3: Have you seen him? He's really and it's funny because his whole approach to art was informed by the fact that he was like bald and had weird joints. But then you like look at photos of him and you're like, that's a fine creative gentleman.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can only imagine the moves he'd be doing. Okay, wait, so it says while every theater may claim to have a ghost, tales of choreographer Bob Fossey smoking on the mezzanine might be a stretch for even the most fervent believer. We do believe we have a ghost, says Emily Petrain, house manager of the Lyceum Theater. We are just not certain that it's mister Fossey.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh no, I was getting so excited.
Speaker 1: This is from NYC Tourism. It says the Fosse rumors began after the premiere of the Visit in twenty fifteen, which are Cheeta, rivera kandorinab There was one siding of him where Richard Reese looked up and saw him smoking in the balcony. But it's the only time we have ever seen him. They think the amount of people connected to him and that building at the time was enough to do it.
Speaker 3: That's kind of beautiful.
Speaker 1: The conjured him.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say he was conjured. He was like I got to make sure this show's good. What's going on? One of my.
Speaker 1: Girls up to this is what the next conjuring movie should be. It's like Cheeta Rivera conjuring up the Ghost of Bob Fosse and they share cigarettes.
Speaker 3: And Patrick Wilson and Vera Formiga show up and they're like, actually, this is fine. We don't need to do anything about this. He can just be here.
Speaker 1: I just do an article that very for Mega is releasing a heavy.
Speaker 3: Metal album, Like I'm delighted by that, but I'm not surprised.
Speaker 1: Like to that, I say, your move, Annabelle, what are you going to do? I need Annabelle to give us like a doge. I don't know. She needs to. She needs to get in there and do something.
Speaker 3: Annabelle and Meghan the Robot and one more haunted doll need to like do like a like a black pink like girl group situation.
Speaker 1: That is not a bad idea, or maybe like a Lady marmalade. Uh yeah, so I do feel bad. Two future guests Coleman Domingo that I just like glossed over his story. So let's let's do that real quick, and then let's get back to you, and I want to hear your stories because I apologize I'm really hijacking this.
Speaker 3: No, I've met Coleman Domingo and his partner many times and they're both loved, but they've never given up the paranormal nature. I mean it's not.
Speaker 1: It's my opinion it's sort of paranormal because it's like one of these like meant to be.
Speaker 3: Right, sarendipity is I would say, like, yeah, it's paranormal.
Speaker 1: Are you someone that's into that kind of a thing, serendipity? If you were a drag queen, would your drag name be Sarah Dipity.
Speaker 3: I am into serendipity. I don't know that I would choose that as my drag name. But like, watch two years from now, you're in a club in LA. You look up and there's Sarah Dippity. Actually, Sarah Dippity is funny, like misstippity. If you're nasty, that's.
Speaker 1: Cute Dipity dipity.
Speaker 3: I love it, Ladies and Gentlemen's welcome to the stage.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I found this article from Them Them dot Us and it says okay. According to Domingo, he was at a Walgreens in Berkeley, California, Okay, in the year two thousand and five, great year. Getting a face mask, not like a COVID mask, like a you.
Speaker 3: Know, like the sheets, like sheet masks that they saw.
Speaker 1: The people weren't doing those in two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: I guess maybe he's after so he was like ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: I bet he gets it.
Speaker 3: He gets it.
Speaker 1: He spotted a beautiful man with shoulder length hair and a lip piercing I love that, and the two locked eyes, but the man was absorbed into conversation with someone. As they both left the walgreens, the two continued to look at each other, with the future mister Domingo turning back several times to catch a second and third glimpse of Coleman. Later, while trying to purchase a used computer, Coleman was scanning misconnections ads on Craigslist, thinking that he might post one looking for the mysterious man with the shoulder length hair. He says, I go to page two of them, and I'm reading and I see quote saw you outside the Walgreens Berkeley. He placed an ad for me two hours before he described me with my faux haawk. It was two thousand and five, and I was like, get out of here. So we met up three days later and had our first date. I was trying to be a good boy and go home. He said, can you stay over? I said, sure, let's just cuddle. We cuddled. I thought he was asleep. Four o'clock in the morning. I couldn't sleep, and I said, I think I love you and you're about to change my life. And we've been together for nineteen years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I wouldn't call it like paranormal feels like too spooky a word to describe it.
Speaker 1: So but it's like men's like bee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's magical. It is its genre. To be sure, it's it's okay.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's not paranorma.
Speaker 3: That's well, I don't know. Maybe we can also like I don't don't let me put a negative connotation on paranormal. Paranormal can definitely be romantic. Why not. Yeah, either way, that's statistically anomalous. And I mean imagine being Coleman. You go to look and then it's it's actually there. You're like reading about yourself from that perspective.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's like something that a psychic would do or something like, Yeah, yeah, and you try saying that psychics aren't paranormal. Good luck with that. Oh no, you don't want to get on the bad side of psychics. Been there, done.
Speaker 3: That, No, what happened just like bad dreams for a long time.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've got every crystal in the book. They try, they try, they can into me. Do you believe in psychics?
Speaker 3: I guess yes, ultimately, would be my answer to that, because I definitely believed in sort of like intuition, especially between two people who are very close that goes beyond verbal communication or even like physical cues, like I do feel like me and my roommate, especially, there are moments where it's like, I think you just read my mind. I think you actually knew the thought I was having before I even knew what I was about to say. I also really believe in kindred spirits, that you can meet a person and it's like, Okay, we are like made of the same we originated from the same atoms like out in wherever, and we are like bonded in a way beyond just like you know, mutual interests and taste. And so I think if you meet someone like that out in the world and they happen to be working as a psychic. I think they definitely could tell you something about yourself you didn't already know.
Speaker 1: Oh so people that are how did you wear that? Like made from the same Would you say star stuff?
Speaker 3: I didn't want to be tweet. I think I said atoms, But what I wanted to say was star stuff.
Speaker 1: Star stuff. Now this is the place to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, good.
Speaker 1: That sounds way cuter than what I always think because I'm always like, like if I meet a bitch with bangs and like I could tell she likes the same kind of music as me and like the same movies, or I'm always like, we're like the same subspecies of human. We're like the same, right, But I think it's like the exact same thing. It just when I don't I need a new thing to say instead of subspecies because that just sounds stupid.
Speaker 3: I think subspecies is great.
Speaker 1: What about a dom species?
Speaker 3: But let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: Oh, tell me a ghost story now.
Speaker 3: I was on a road trip with my friends and we were sort of going down across the country from where we were at school together from Ohio, and we went sort of to like the bottom left hand corner of California, stopping along the way and then went up the.
Speaker 1: Ones that's a long way, and then went a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of other places. But the story I'm telling today concerns a little known monument in I think the Californian desert called a Salvation Mountain. Ah, this do you know about Salvation Mountain?
Speaker 1: I've never been there. I feel like, was it Kesha or somebody like ten years ago or something. I feel like she did something there and it had its moment for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, because the man who made it has been and by the time we went there, and this was in two thoy thirteen, I believe, and back then he had already been passed for a while. Also, something to know about Salve Mountain is a it's very near a brimstone lake. Like I remember waking up in the car and being like it reeks of sulfur and brimstone in the car, Like what is going on? And it's because there's this huge to the point where in prepping for this, I went back and I was like, was I high? Did I hallucinate that? What was going on? And there is a sulfric lake very near Salvation Mountain that like everything in it is dead because the pH of the water is just crazy. So just setting the scene that it's like we're in the middle of the desert. We're driving along the edge of this brimstone lake. It's already getting spooky. We're not even at Salvation Mountain yet.
Speaker 1: And Salvation Mountain, I don't know, y'all have to tell us more. All I know is that it's like everything's painted all colorful in Jesus. Ye right.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the thing, is our friend, because we all sort of got to pick, like, hey, this is something I want to do, this is something I want to do. Along the course of the road trip, she really wanted to go to Salvation Mountain and when she pitched it, she was like, it's like a religious unity monument and we were like, great, But I love that you have to drive through a little town to get out there. The town. I'm sure that people do live there. I heard dogs, there was an elementary school. I saw toys in the yards. I did not see a single human person. It was giving that. It was giving, like we're in the middle of the middle of the middle of nowhere. There's a brimstone lake, I see houses, I see no people, I feel eerie. We get to Salvation Mountain. It is not a religious unity monument. It is about Jesus, okay, and it is this man in a moment of revelation in his life sort of abandoned everything he knew and had and moved out into the desert because this one scripture, one piece of scripture which I should have looked it up and I didn't. But listeners, you can google it your own discretion and learn the lore of Salvation Mountain came into his brain and he just really latched onto it. And so the whole sort of installation, which is mostly like hay bales and tires that he stacked and then coated and paint to create this like mountain, has that piece of scripture like over and over and over again all over the place. Yeah, if you google it, if you google like Salvation Mountain scripture, it'll be you'll know right away. And it's also it's not just the mountain. There's then sort of this like side piece that's like a little labyrinthian that goes off around the edge that's very sort of like the Beatles Yellow Submarine animated film. Coded there's like car doors embedded in the walls, and like there's a lot of like bottle top art, you know what I'm saying. It gives kind of like burning man art installation in the middle of the California desert.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's sort of funky.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, very technic color. But while there was a gentleman staying in a trailer on the property who sort of just like waved at us as we pulled up. I don't know if he's like the official grounds keeper. He is not the man who built the installation. The car that the man lived in, which is just like kind of an old beat down truck with a little tiny house on the back. And by a little tiny house, I mean like that's troof over the bed of the truck. Yeah, you see it, tiny place to live. That's where he lived until he passed, and that's where he stayed when he was out there by himself building this monument, which is like the religious conviction of that, the spiritual conviction of that is beautiful, but it's also like what had gripped this man that he was like I must go into the middle of the desert and live as a hermit and build this thing.
Speaker 2: Jesus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jesus was like, hey, I haven't done a miracle.
Speaker 1: How's that Peyton doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have all those fumes treating yet I'm just.
Speaker 1: Picturing Jesus up looking down being like, so you've been out there for a couple of weeks. You haven't gotten that far. Just a couple of hay bows and so paint what's going on here? You love me or what?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not feeling I'm not feeling the commitment. So we get there and he again the man who made it, Like we're like googling it as we're pulling up. It's like, oh, he's been dead at this point for like five or eight years, so no shade to what he has accomplished. But it's gotten a little dusty. There is an air of I would say, neglect, and you know the vibe when you like look at pictures of like like churches that have like collapsed and or rotting in the middle of the woods somewhere, and it's like this used to be a place for like spiritual reflection and gathering. NOI you know that's a little creepy deep Dutch.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like on the dating apps, what you see the person in person you go, oh, I can tell you that you you were in the picture.
Speaker 3: Where was that picture from? Yeah? When was that that was from? That was also from twenty thirteen, and it's twenty twenty five. So like, for example, just off the main mountain, there were three rooms, one of them full of Bibles, all open to the same page on which the piece of scripture he used was. But these bibles have been sitting in the California desert, so they're not doing great. So you're like, okay, it's a little carry a la Stephen King energy in here. The next room was a shrine where people had brought IDs. It was a lot of IDs. It was a lot of like drivers, like licenses and passports and like little notes and like just like lining the walls of this room. We were the only people there by the way, just for clarity, it was just like me and my two friends. She was having a gay old time. My other friend was like, you know, walking around looking at things. So we're having a solo experience basically. So I'm looking at all of these IDs and I don't have the context. It's like are these people dead? Are they missing? Were they left here as a curse? Like what inspire somebody to bring a piece of identification, because it's like, presumably if the person's driver's license was available to be left in the middle of the desert, I feel like that's that doesn't bode well for whoever is on that ID, you know what I mean. It's like if they don't need their driver's license anymore, what happened to them is what I had to ask. Yeah, and then the final little room is like a winged angel statue, but the head has been knocked off and one of the wings is missing.
Speaker 1: Terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's getting heavy, like the nun abandoned church energy. I go off to the side. There's also four texture. Lots of cats, Oh, lots of cats just sort of out and about. You see them sleeping and napping in the sun. They're up on the hay bales.
Speaker 1: They're jellico say that. Wait, now I have a question. Yeah, is the sun still out?
Speaker 3: It is, but it is beginning to set.
Speaker 1: Oh, you better get out of there quick.
Speaker 3: The clock is ticking on that. Off to the side of the mountain, there's like sort of this like little sort of like maze thing, this like art installation. I'm walking around. I'm looking, and part of it is this big cone structure, like very large, and going up through the middle of it is a desiccated tree. And then he had sort of made a cone of painted hay bales around a desicated tree. So you walk in and you sort of have to do a walk around the desicated tree to sort of take in that whole space. And on the outside, it's painted, it's colorful, it's beautiful. It's a little sun faded, but it truly is astonishing that he was able to build all of this himself. On the inside you can see that it's just hay bales and they're stacked sort of like bricks. I'm already at this point, you know, the sun is setting. I am sort of like a gay and a monument to Jesus. I'm having a lot of complicated feelings. The angel saise you didn't have a head. The bibles are rotting. I don't know where the IDs came from. I'm feeling feelings. I get around to the far side of the tree and in the wall of hay bales, there is a spot where one hay bale is missing that just goes into a dark hole. There's just sort of like a black square vacuum in the middle of all of these haybills, and there's still light coming in from outside from the top of the conical structure. So I'm looking at this dark spot and I'm like, where does this go? What is this? Does it go into the ground? Like what am I looking at? And I remember sort of around the periphery of that hole, there's like a crumpled up gallon jug of water, there's wrappers, and there's just this dark space, and I just stand there for a while, just staring into it. Have you had a paranormal experience in your life?
Speaker 1: Maybe? Right, I think so?
Speaker 3: Who knows, right, But when something weird and unexpected like that is happening, your brain, like I just my cognitive function just slowed down, and you're just sort of like, not me, not right now.
Speaker 1: I can tell you I've definitely stared into some confusing looking holes in my day.
Speaker 3: I was staring into It wasn't unlike that experience. I'm sure I was staring into the abyss, and the abyss was staring back into me, and I, you know, increasingly got to a place of like I don't really want to take my eyes off of this thing. I do not want to put my back to it to leave the space, but I had to, so I turn around. And you know that feeling when you're a little kid, when you're coming back from the bathroom from getting a drink of water or going pea in the middle of the night and you're walking back down the hall to your room and you're like, I can't run because if I run, the thing, whatever it is, will know that I'm afraid and will know that I know that it's there is when it will decide to get me.
Speaker 1: When I'm a kid last I had that last night twice.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe look into some tras adone. I'm worried about you. I want you to get good sleep and relaxed.
Speaker 1: Terrif I peel out when I sleep, I don't worry. I get up and do it in the bathroom where I'm supposed.
Speaker 3: To, no judgment either way.
Speaker 1: But I am terrified every single time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still scared of the dark. I don't I don't love it. I don't love absolutely darkness. So you know that like body lock that you get where you're like, I'm walking, but it's very casual. I'm just walking. I'm just walking.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: I start to walk away around the other side of the desiccated tree. And as sure as I am sitting here with you on this scene right now, in my right ear, as though someone was standing just over my right shoulder, I hear whispered, ever so quietly and with the definite smirk in the voice. Hi. Two things happen when I hear that one. You know, I would not come on this podcast to bullshit you. You can. I can have my friends send in their testimony.
Speaker 1: This is what happened, Okay, I trust you.
Speaker 3: I hear that voice. All of the cats, all of them, at least a dozen cats start yowling all at once, that like bad cat scream where you're like, that cat is fighting for its life somewhere something bad is happening to that cat. A chorus, if you will, of cacophonous atonal cat screams erupts around the compound, and I fucking book it out there. I'm like, goodbye, no more walking for me. I don't care if the thing sees me. I'm running out. We're running. I hope the monster, the ghoul the hills have eyes. Character living in that haybail has track shoes. On because we're.
Speaker 1: Thatching throw a cat at it.
Speaker 3: Run I run back out into the like main space. I just sprint out, frantic. The gentleman is standing outside his trailer looking at me. My girlfriend, whose idea this was, is standing up on the mountain looking down at me, and my other gay friend is already standing by the car, looking quite pale. The sun is now much closer to the horizon, and I just sort of stop, and everyone's just sort of looking at me, and I just like look up at my girlfriend and she looks at the guy standing outside his trailer and she's like, haha, sorry, I think he got like a little scared or something. And I look over at the man and I'm like, I just don't know what to say. He's just sort of smiling at me. He was, by the way, giving very like you got yourself a real purty mouth. And then she's no shade to him, but he was that. He was a character. He was kind of in retrospect. I kind of would under other circumstances, but it was not the moment for that. No. So I look over at him and I say, sir, I think something's upset your cats. And I, you know, Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what it is that he said back to me, probably because I know I should have just like scripted something, but I really want this again. All this actually happened as I'm describing it, so I really racked my brain trying to be like, what is the because I remember it was something eerie. It was like he had like a script of like and then when the gay runs out into the middle of the field, this is what I say to him about the cats. He smiles his like, you know, missing a couple of teeth, smile at me, and he says something like, yeah, they don't take too kindly to guests sometimes or something. It was something like kind of charming, a little hokey, but ultimately very sinister. And I was like, so, you know, like, you know that, I know that, you know that I know that I just had an experience in your art installation, which again I'm unclear you are now the proprietor of, Like, I don't know how this works. Are you related to the man who built it? What's the story? I didn't stop to ask. I said thank you so much and walked back over to the car where my friend Ian was standing. I make eye contact with him, and I'm like, I think that we should get out of here right now. And Ian's like, yeah, why do you think I'm already standing by the fucking car. Let's go. We get a picture of my other friend up on the top of the mountain. She's like having a really good time. She comes down. Oh, she's she's kind of like visibly bothered that we're both having like a harrowing emotional experience of her little side quest. We get back in the car. We're driving out of there. The sun has set. We have to stop at a railroad crossing, so the arm comes down. It's the middle of the desert. The red lights are flashing, the train is pouring by. We're just sitting in the car in silence. There's now a big, swollen yellow moon up in the sky, and I'm just looking in the rear view mirror, just like waiting, waiting for something to come out of the night. And it didn't. We made it out of there. You know, probably did irreparable damage to my cardiovascular system. Certainly. Still, the thought of it keeps me up at night, the thought of that voice, the glee in that little voice, that little high wait.
Speaker 1: But what happened to your friend? Why was your gay friend so like, oh.
Speaker 3: He because he was having First of all, again, we were promised that we were going to an art installation that's like Hinduism, Judaism, right, Christianity, Islam, like the Buddha. And it's like, no, it wasn't that. It was this gentleman experiencing said with love a certain level of sort of like religious fervor medical professionals might say mania and building basically like a huge shrine in the desert, which then I think, you know, I think his body was somewhere on the premises.
Speaker 1: Guess where, But do you think it was in the hole?
Speaker 3: It's always in the hole, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think those cats knew exactly what was going on, and they knew that there was a Jesus Man that was buried under there.
Speaker 3: That's what was scary about whatever the man in the trailer said to me. Again, I don't remember what exactly his words were, because you don't remember what a person says, You just remember how they make you feel. But whatever he said implied the presence of like a third body in this conversation. Like whatever his response to me was, it was like there's you, there's the cats, and then there's you know, I'm making vague reference to another person who's here with us, and I'm like, they're here with it, Like they're in the trailer, Like we're gonna like we're going to meet them, like is it your wife? My friend Ian who was by the car, he just too had picked up that there was I mean, look it is. It's an inherently spooky, uoky place. And then on top of that we had a spooky uky experience. Yeah, I know, and it's Look, I only read books about magic and aliens. I don't like realistic fiction. I want the world to be I'm I'm walking, I'm doing laps in the lyceum, being like if you're here, please, you know, come shrieking out of the wall at me, like.
Speaker 1: But don't be two thirsty ear else they're going to be like ugh no.
Speaker 3: Right, that's why they're not showing up, because they're like this little this little queer, she's going to get baptized by us. Not likely.
Speaker 1: You just got to be like, uh whatever, if you're if you're here, fine, I don't I don't, I don't care either way.
Speaker 3: Don't text the ghosts back, start a seance, and then just sort of like stop replying, play hard to get with the other side. No, which is why I say, you know it. So nothing has happened before this, and nothing has happened after, even though I've looked for it, and even though I've wanted it, which is why I feel such conviction in this story that it's like, no, that did happen.
Speaker 1: This feels like a very trustworthy source right now.
Speaker 3: And again, if you're hearing this and you're like, well, I went to Salvation Mountain and I had a great time and I felt awakened. I'm glad that that was your experience, and I want to leave space for that to be other people's experience, but you know this was my experience.
Speaker 1: Well, they probably went after you after the demon leapt out and latched onto you, so it's probably like great there now, it's probably very clean and clear and.
Speaker 3: Claud you reckon. Yeah, I took the darkness with me, but.
Speaker 1: Now I don't think and.
Speaker 3: That's why now I'm a gay actor. That's how I ended up this.
Speaker 1: Way, you know, speaking of reliable sources, which I do, I do feel very convinced that no, it was very good and you're a very amazing storyteller.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you. I was like, this is going to take a second for me to get out, and I really wanted to give you the full picture. So thank you for giving me the time to do it.
Speaker 1: Wait. You know another thing. I was thinking, Scully, do you ever hear X Files?
Speaker 3: Oh? All the time when I was in second grade, when that show was sort of having its its cultural peak. I didn't appreciate the parallel because I knew that Scully was the girl and already, you know, second grade South Texas. I'm like, girl, bad way good me girl, no no me man me noo girl meno talk with hands me no wear pink meno. Jillian Anderson. Well, now, in retrospect, I'm like to be compared to Jillian Anderson at seven years old, I should be so fucking lucky, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: She always came up for me because she is from the same hometown as me. So people would be like, the lady from the X Files is from here, you know, which is where Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that sounds like a theme park. Come on, it's a fun thing about The X Files, which you've watched I assume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've not every single episode.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's a scary. Sometimes it's fun, but it's there are some scary episodes in there. The fun thing about the X Files is, you know, her character's name is Dana Scully. My brother, sweet Connor, sweet Ronoch, the Barbarian, his long time I'm partner is named Dana. I know. And so we're like, look, people should get married or not get married based on their own prerogatives, and people should certainly only exchange last names if it feels right, especially if it's you know, the obligation is on the woman to rearrange her monogram. That said, we are sort of like, and I feel like Dana is sort of leading the charge on this. She's like, if we did, and I did, my name would be Dana Scully. I mean, let's celebrate that iconic. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Going back to reliable sources, I have I have got a haunted doll currently for sale.
Speaker 3: On eBay that you're selling.
Speaker 1: No, but it's just one that I found. I like to feature a different one every single episode. Can I show you?
Speaker 3: Yes? Please?
Speaker 1: It's time for the dolls are living? Okay, So I just go to eBay here's the thing. A lot of people don't know this. Thousands of haunted eBay alleged haunted eBay dolls for sale at all times.
Speaker 3: But you think some of those people are cloud chasing. Not all of those dolls are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there's a lot of different situations. Listen. I've spent hours looking at these, and there's a lot of situations going on here. I don't believe a lot of them, but I will say because it's it's really coincidental to have you on, because particularly all the ways you laid out, like why your story is real. I actually feel that way about this one for the exact same reason, which is rare, okay, because usually it's like these people are like, oh, this doll does this, and it does that, and here's its name and here's what it does whatever, and then you go to their profile and like they have forty seven other ones that they are trying to sell. Sometimes it's giving the same copy and pasted bio. It gets lazy. Okay, this one, I looked at the person's profile. They didn't have any other haunted dolls they were selling, like just random junk from their house. So I was kind of like, that's a good sign for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great flag for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, her name is Anna. She's going for one hundred and twenty dollars. Jaha, show us Anna plays you got it ras? Oh that's Anna.
Speaker 3: You know what. It's kind of giving. It's giving, Like the energy of this on the space is giving, sort of like can I hit your dame.
Speaker 1: With flavors that I don't even care? Let me just try it. Yeah, give me goodies for sure. Well, she's got like she's got like a short Lady Diana haircut, and then I can't tell what's going on on top of it. Yeah, there's life a just random high pony situation.
Speaker 3: Half up, half down arianky.
Speaker 1: I guess. But the hair's very short.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what that is. But she does have sort of a honestly and oh Mary kind of air address on.
Speaker 3: It's it's not not giving. Yeah, Like like if Mary Todd Lincoln had a sister who was plagued by spiritual visions, I do feel like this is sort of what she would look like.
Speaker 1: Yes, a sister with a heavy hand on the blush and forgot to put lipstick on the top lip. But certainly did the bottom.
Speaker 3: I will say, her face though, she's like she's struggling with the hair, but her beat has stayed. I don't know, I don't know what that is. That's like honestasy of Beverly Hills. Or the eyes are clean, you know, the cheeks are rouged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a really good setting spray. Okay. So here's what it says, because they all come with like a little bio so one hundred and twenty dollars Anna, So it says a lost human spirit seems to have transferred over to this doll. Anna. Nothing too evil has really happened with Anna as far as I know, but there have been some strange occurrences. It rained when she was taken outside two times, a picture fell off the wall when I took her in my office, okay, and some people feel a sudden rush of sadness when they see her. I mean, the doll is apparently capable of moving on her own. Apparent. This is just hearsay, according to the person selling this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that, they say, apparently, as though it's like, so did someone just tell you that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where are you getting your second get a hand?
Speaker 3: News? Said it gets a little lazy, but I kind of love that it gets a little lazy.
Speaker 1: It says, I am not a hundred present sure, but I do think I saw her move a couple of times. Okay, I am not a big believer in things like this, but I'm starting to now.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, so very me and that it's like I want to believe very ex files. I want to believe, but I've never seen proof. But like, now there's the stall.
Speaker 1: But like, apparently she moves. I think I saw her, but I'm not really sure. I really appreciate this person, to be honest.
Speaker 3: No, that the coyness, the sort of like humble, demure nature of the description, I agree, does lend itself to an air of integrity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because most of these as they're trying to make some extra coin. They're like, if you buy this doll, she will slap you in your sleep, just so you know you've been warned. And this person is like, honestly, I think I think apparently she moves. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's also like she has the ability to control the weather. One hundred and twenty dollars. That's a modest that's a modest sum for a doll that can literally make it rain. Truly, somebody in La needs to buy her for the next drought and then just sit her out on there and their patio. Do your work. Anna.
Speaker 1: It says she comes from an abandoned house that my friend just bought. I am not sure if she is good or bad, but I still want her to go to a good home. She is still dusty and dirty, just the way she was found. Thanks for looking. Please check out the other items in my store. Okay, hang on a second. So your friend just bought a new house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, an abandoned house.
Speaker 1: I found this doll, and then you are now selling it for one hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I guess a lot of these reports must have come from the friend who purchased the house. And it is sort of like, and I'm filling in some blanks here, I'm projecting, I'm assuming a lot, but it is kind of intriguing that It's like the friend was like, I don't want this anywhere, Please take this away from me.
Speaker 1: And then this person said, well, I'm going to make some money if I'm going to have to take this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this person said, you know, I have my eyes on. What's something that would cost one hundred and twenty dollars in this economy?
Speaker 1: I need some new sneakers.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I need some I need some White Air Force ones. And with tax, that comes out to just about one hundred and twenty dollars. So that's what this doll is going for. Oh imagine this doll with some tiny White Air Force ones on her. She pulls up her little skirt. She's like, you like the sneakers.
Speaker 1: I think when it comes to making it rain, I think the person that's selling this is trying to make it rain on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like, I would like some rain?
Speaker 1: Can I play you some ghost voices?
Speaker 3: Please play me some ghost voices.
Speaker 1: It's time for EVP or ev please okay. The term EVP electronic voice phenomenal. Okay. So this is when people believe they've captured a ghost speaking.
Speaker 3: That wasn't audible to the human ear, but they like put up a recording.
Speaker 1: Pretty much, gotcha. It has shown up upon further inspection. So these are two that I found on this website phone called it's called YouTube.
Speaker 3: Oh I've not heard of that.
Speaker 1: Check it out. People go on YouTube and they will post a ghost saying all kinds of shit. I've got two of them for you right here. This first one is from Shanley Hotel eighty two eighty five.
Speaker 3: Shout out to you, Shanley.
Speaker 1: This is a famous haunted hotel.
Speaker 3: Okay, it like is what.
Speaker 1: I don't think you can stay at it. I think it's just like a place that people go to to like ghost hunt and it's a NAPA knock, New York. I want you to tell me if you hear anything, okay, and I'm going to give you an ABCD. And one of those is what they believe it says. Okay, what is this ghost saying?
Speaker 3: Can I hear one more time? What do you think I just one more time? It sounds like the last word sounds like shut to me. Now I'm thinking Lord of the Rings, the way it's shut. But it sounds like the something is the something something is shut. It's like the well, now it doesn't sound like that, so well.
Speaker 1: Let me give you some options. One of these is what allegedly the ghost is saying. Is it saying A, I'm so cute and hot? Okay, B I'm still looking on okay, see absolutely not? Or D I'm a super top. All right, it's one of those let me play it again.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is funny because I love all of those options obviously, and I'm a little relieved that it's not the way is shut, because whoever was hearing that in that moment, that's like bad news for them. I do think it's absolutely not. And I love, you know, imagining that specter coming across whatever the recording device is and just being like, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Not, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: It's like, I'm not doing this. You think I died and stayed tied to the mortal realm so you could like record me on your iPhone thirteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I already know this is gonna end up on a podcast at some point. Absolutely not. No interviews. Okay, I've got one more for you, And this one is like a more organic kind of a grass fact, the more granola. It's just sort of a to the naked ear. It's sort of a talking Okay. This one was posted by this guy who has really good EVPs and stuff. His name is Brandon Elvis and it's at a place called Andre Spico Adobe in Mission Hills, California. Okay, what is this ghost, say Jaggs Gully.
Speaker 3: No, no, okay, that's how I heard y'all please help troubling? No coming, Yeah, y'all, please help me? Is what it sounded like to me. I'm not even coming. Do you hear what I'm saying? And the sort of the whatever that pitter pattern is, it's like, yeah, it's really unchanteling.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just add this person that posted this did say that the floor is currently tile and it's it picked up on the sound. It sounded like footsteps on wood, right, spooky. Well, let me give you some options. Okay, is it a yah? Quay? Is y'all still is that still in the in the culture.
Speaker 3: I think we're quickly approaching that we got so oversaturated with it that it became passe. Not me a white cistender gay man citing what words people get to say.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be back.
Speaker 3: No, I think we're circling back around.
Speaker 1: Okay, is it B No, this can't be? Is it c so cold or d? Yeah, it's called t okay no to those options again, Yeah, it's called t.
Speaker 3: What's funny is that in my understanding of gave an ocular absolutely not for our last is to me absolutely so. I was ready for this one yes, yes, it's called T is option D.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called T.
Speaker 3: Imagining all of the fertile moments which a ghost could say that see.
Speaker 1: I pictured that being like the ghost of a lady that has seen a couple of episodes of drag Race, and she's trying to explain to another friend, like what you just saw is called tea. That's what they call it.
Speaker 3: Or the ghost hunters are sort of like in a moment of revelation, They're like, and she hasn't been seen in over twenty five years, and the ghost.
Speaker 1: Says, no, yeah, it's called tea.
Speaker 3: I want to choose one of the fun options. Unfortunately, I I do think it's what was the second option? This no one know, this can't be, which is also kind of gay. The pageantry of that, the pageantry of like be, that's what like a sort of like David Bowie coated queer in Brooklyn looks down and realized that they've spilt their muck Damien Latte on their shirt, on their blouse, and they say, no, this cannot be.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, I can see that scenario. I will say when I listen to the full one, which I have edited down because there's a long pause, and then it very much sounds like it goes, no, this can't be, and then it goes really and I'm like listening to it, thinking, oh my god, it kind of sounds like a ghost being like, oh my god, am I dad, You're.
Speaker 3: Just so sad, like their dying moment, like them waking up or yeah, I guess just like realizing the moment of clarity that they're like, oh I'm not. I have shuffled not all the way off this mortal coil, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now you're gonna record me and put me on the internet. Wait, now that we know it's no, this can't be, let me play it one more time. No, okay, what like, let me offer an e an e option.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 1: That's campy, Yo, that's camp campy y. That's campy, James Scully, that's all.
Speaker 3: This was delightful. I'm going to go to dinner with my friends and Williamsburg tonight. I think I'm going to walk there and I'm going to be available to you know, I'm going to be looking around sort of like maybe.
Speaker 1: Yes, maybe, you know, just be open.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Although again, like we said, they're like, no, not that one. He wants it too bad, I know for a haunting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sort of like that polyamorous couple that it's like, oh god, they're coming. They're coming over here. Okay, Like they're like you, they're tooth, like, let me come to you, right.
Speaker 3: They said, hey, we saw you from across the bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have already seen them work in the whole room. They're going up to everyone, and now they've made their way to me.
Speaker 3: Oh here worse than when you're like, okay, I saw I saw myself be your third choice. You know what I mean? You think I didn't notice you talking?
Speaker 1: You get this straight. You're in a committed relationship with each other, so you already have that, and then you wanted another person, you didn't get them, you didn't get the next person, and now you're going to settle for me. Mm hmm, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, you know what I say to that, No, this can't be or wait, or I say another thing, which is this right here?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. I've already said to a person in a club. I'm sure at one point or another in a case, I've said absolutely not. But the next time, next time. All loved to the polyamorous community, A couple comes up to me to scout me as talent. I'm going to say no, this can't be and I'll see what they do with that. Maybe if they respond, well, I'll be like, you know what, this is the screening process, and you passed. Let's get out of here.
Speaker 1: Jame Scully ros where do you want people to find you? What's going on in your life?
Speaker 4: Well, at the time this airs, I will be in the juicy hot middle of my and Conrad, Rick Amora and one Dame Cola Scolas returned to Oh Mary, Oh you going back?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we're all going back.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So we are going back to tread the boards once more.
Speaker 1: Well, you know that person who stepped into your shoes?
Speaker 3: Oh, dear dear friend of the pod. I'm sure Chris Renfrow.
Speaker 1: Chris Renfro has been on this pod.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean how I cont Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get We're gonna get everyone from the show one way or another.
Speaker 3: I know Cole likes dolls, and I'm sure at least one of Cole's dolls is haunted.
Speaker 1: Please just put it in a good word.
Speaker 3: I oh, I absolutely will. I'm sure. I'm sure they have a ghost story for you. I wonder if they believe in the paranormal. I'm going to text them and ask.
Speaker 1: I'm obsessed. You know what, I'm gonna I'll be there this summer. I'll have to come right back let.
Speaker 3: Me know, because we didn't get to have a backstage moment last time.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep going until i have the whole thing memorized. I'mn to be one of those megafan people where it's like Lady Gogat dancing with the kid that knows every move. That'll be me.
Speaker 3: If anyone needs you're shouting the lines, Oh god, no.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do that. Well, you know, I'm so happy we did this.
Speaker 3: I really am too. It's an honor and a privilege and a pleasure. And look, I hope I hope those cats don't get me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. Thank you so much to James Scully. Oh that was fun. Hey, I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me, gay By. This has been an exactly right production. Want to share your paranormal experience on the podcast. I read stories out loud and sometimes I'll even call you, so email me at Ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com. You can send a DM or voice message to the show's Instagram at Ghosted by Roz. Give us a follow while you're there, and follow me Roz on Instagram at Roz Hernandez, and on TikTok and Twitter at It's Roz Hernandez. My senior producer is the startling Jiha Lee. Associate producer is the alarming Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed and sound designed by the eerie Edson Choi. My guest booker is the petrifying Patrick Kuttner. My theme music is by the spine chilling Brendan Lynch Salomon. Artwork by the spooky Vanessa Lilac. Photography by the terrifying Elizabeth Karen. Executive produced by the chilling Karen Kilgaireff, the spooky Georgia hart Stark, and the frightening Danielle Kramer. Listen to Ghosted by Roz Hernandez on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.