Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: What's pew in my hewes? This is Robert Evans and it could happen here? A podcast about it happening here, as it seems to be more every week and when things get worse, one thing that a lot of folks start talking about is should I buy a gun? And obviously this is a fraught question and the only responsible answers to it are very complicated. And so to talk over some very complicated answers, we've got James Stout and we have in the audience with us the great Carl Casarta, Carl of en Range TV. Thank you for coming on to be our resident firearms expert in this podcast where we try not to be deeply irresponsible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for having me on. It's always a pleasure to come back to the show and people always ask for more collabs, and here we are, but on a very important topic. And yes, Billy, question I have is now is when do you change the name of the podcast too?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's happening here. We're talking with the marketing people. It done happened here. Oh shit, it's happening again.
Speaker 3: It's been happening here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here it is here now right in this moment.
Speaker 3: Be here now it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to work out which one seo's best.
Speaker 3: But we're on it.
Speaker 4: Carl, don't worry. We're working on it so as I think both of you know, but maybe listeners don't. Gun sales typically saw before elections as to ammunition purchases. People are afraid of gun bans has been traditionally one reason why, and the firearms industry is not afraid of hyping those up to increase sales in election years. Normally, prices increase in line with demand. Like if you go back to November twenty twenty and look at the prices of ammunition and guns compared to now, you'll see how much incredibly high they were. That was for a number of reasons. But considering inflation, gun prices are pretty low right now.
Speaker 2: You know that is kind of a recurrent thing. For the most part is that while every thing else gets more expensive, television and firearms remain affordable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gun gone to the point where they are more affordable than they've ever been. Uh huh. Yeah, they really are. Air fifteens, or I used to talk about this on air. Fifteens are essentially cord wood and you can get a fully fled Good to Go Air fifteen now for like four to five hundred bucks. Yeah, the epistols for two hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: The prices on guns are like through the floor. And yeah, it's interesting to note that, Like, if you are a gun manufacturer or a firearms dealer, even if you don't hype elections, it would be unintelligent of you to not prep for elections because they're so consistently, Yeah, the Christmas of gun sales. So this is an instance in which we didn't see that. It's it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: I think there's an element because obviously when we talk I think to people who are not into guns and talk about how cheap guns have gotten, they're like, well, that's very bad, and there's definitely downsides to that. But an upside of that is it does kind of suggest we are not seeing the degree of panicked hoarding for a civil war that we have seen at previous points when gun prices were not as as cratered and am O prices were a lot higher and availability availability was a lot lower. Like in some ways, that's kind of an optimistic sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or the dark side of that is the traditional prepper air, quote, is so saturated in guns and ammunition, right, but they don't even need another one, right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's I think that is where a lot of people are.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Also, like capacity really increased in twenty twenty, and I think they've been pumping out like it's interesting to look at like the cost of nine millimeters and five five six ammunition, which if you're not familiar, are like the most commonly used defensive ammunition rounds compared to more niche stuff like that hasn't gone down as much if you're trying to get three hundred wisdom or something.
Speaker 3: The funny thing that, yeah, five five six and nine millimeters, both to defensively add well as just recreationally, are the most common ammunition. Yeah, by far, and some of the weird old stuff I like to shoot, like percussion caps for percussion revolvers. You can't find enough to to save your life. That's those through the roof and expensive. So yeah, they've literally just bunkered down cook intent there and are making five x six and nine millimeter because that's where the demand is and will continue to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't find you can't see it. I have a little reloading set up here I can't find show gun primus or sent powders anyway now.
Speaker 2: And this is going to be a problem because if we have another Cowboys and Aliens kind of situation, what are we going to use? You know, what is Harrison Ford going to use to save us? Anyway? Nobody saw that movie? Why am I making that joke?
Speaker 3: Let me know, I've got a good stashion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're all going to be leaning heavily on carl call for all humanity. So I think we've gotten a little bit ahead of our skis here. We should we should start by talking because again, I think we've all seen a lot of people being like, well, I guess I should get a gun now, as in the wake of Trump's victory. And I think the first caveat we should give everyone is like, if you are reacting in a way that is totally reasonable to this news, being depressed, right, if you're somebody who deals with suicidal ideation, if you have been spiraling lately, if you have been thinking about self harm, if you are just not in a stable mental place, and especially if you have no experience with firearms and are not in a stable mental place, don't go rush to pick one up now. Look for one thing. I assure you they will be available in the future. They are not going to get harder to buy.
Speaker 3: No, you know, it mights be of a line from the movie We Were Soldiers, which is actually a pretty pretty good movie speaking oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a lot of fun, not of Phil Gibson. It was pretty good. And there's a scene where like the old hardened soldier from Korea World War Two in Korea gets the Vietnam and he's like, he's just got a pistol, and everyone's around him saying don't you want to m sixteen? He goes, don't worry, There'll be plenty of those laying around if I need one. So right, kind of that's where we're at in this country. Don't worry, There'll be plenty laying around if you need one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are not entering a period where that's you know, I think there are some specific worries where there may be attempts to restrict specific groups from arming themselves, But even so, I wouldn't say that elevates it above a threat. If you are dealing with suicidal ideation, having a gun is not a talisman. As our friend tactical girlfriend often brings up and you shouldn't treat it as one. And part of what that means is that, like, you have to model like the threat that you're facing, right, and if you are not in immediate danger, if nobody is threatening to kill you specifically, you know, then that may not be the safest thing for you, right and particularly, I think the other side of it that Carl, you are much more qualified to talk about with than me, is that if you are going to buy a firearm, if you want that to be a thing that can actually protect you in a situation where you are in danger, where someone is threatening your life, you have to train with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, absolutely, I think that not to make to make light of that at all with that little joke about that movie, but the reality is we as people humans in general, all of us are bad at threat modeling. And that's not to say that the perceived threat that we're seeing with the results isn't real. Yeah, I think it is. But that said, at the moment, if you're dealing with some of those issues like you mentioned, or the living situation you're around or even the community around you, isn't one in which a firearm laying around is particularly safe, could mean that you're actually inducing more threat and risk to yourself than what might come in two years. So that is something we have to think about very carefully. Can I possess this responsibly? Do I know how to use it responsibly? Am I in a place not only in my living situation but my mental state that possessing this very quick and easy to use lethal device is safe to have around? Those are questions you should ask first before worrying about tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I mean maybe we should address like a couple of things that Kyle said right off the bat, Like you said having a firearm lying around. One thing that we should address is like, I know I recently purchased a new gun safe, but like if you have ex budget to buy a gun. Robert also mentioned that without training your liability with the gun. Right, maybe we can break down if you have a thousand dollars, you don't need to go out and spend a thousand dollars on your gun, right, perhaps it would be better to save some of that money and put it toward other things. I think it might make sense to just break those down for people in case they're not familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that might be a good place to start. Is if you decide number one, I'm in an emotionally stable place. I either have some specific threats or I want to be prepared for a future where those threats are more likely. And let's start with a budget of one thousand dollars, right, And you know this is one of the there's going to be people who can't afford a budget of one thousand dollars and that's very unfortunate. But this is one of those things that like isn't fair, right, Like guns cost money. Not everyone has disposable income, but a thousand dollars I think is a reasonable floor for not just acquiring a firearm, but like the things you need to be able to start building proficiency with it. So like let's talk about that, Carl, Like what would you do? What would you advise someone with a grand who is looking into getting into shooting and also being set up to potentially defend themselves they need to right, So this.
Speaker 3: SUPs It's such a nuanced question and answer because there's so many variabilities there, one of which is you have to understand the living situation you in. Are you living in a place that is solely your own, Do you live with roommates, do you have children and your parents? I mean, like these things all come into the equation about how well can you secure this thing should you acquire it? And so that comes up to do you need a full bolt into the wall safe? Do you need something that is locked with cable underneath the bed that still is reasonably difficult to get into but is accessible Otherwise, do you have a situation in which you're the only one that could access this and therefore you're not worried about that? So the first thing you have to think about is I thought, I'm taking possession of responsibility of this. It is a lethal weapon. What am I going to do to make sure that that doesn't fall into the wrong hands, whether there are people that live within your own structure or outside of it should something go awright, So you have to consider that. So right off the bat is what are the situation I'm in and what are the things I need to consider to make sure this doesn't leak out of my control? Because we've seen in so many instances, especially some of the horrible spreashootings as such, in which is not the person that possessed the gun, but someone around them that took it from them and used it for them, absolutely, and that's because it wasn't stored well. And so that's number one. So you're going to think about one. Are you getting a small a pithol or a long arm? And that's a discussion to be had too, But those two equate, and then depending on which one of those two you're acquiring determines the kind of safe storage or quirements that also align with your current living situation. Of course, the best thing is a safe bolted to the floor that only you can get into. But that's not viable for everyone, yeah, right, but it's something, right yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What comes along with that is you also, this is going to be true at every stage of this process, you need to know the laws of your state and maybe even your local area. Right Like, in Oregon, we have very strict safe storage laws, right Like, you can be held accountable to a higher degree in this state if you don't secure a weapon and someone gets access to it. Right now, obviously, if you have a safe and someone drills into your safe, you're not liable, right like, you took the actions you could to stop them from being able to get to your firearms. There's not an expectation that you have a fortress of solitude or whatever, but you have to have taken reasonable steps to lock them away, right, And you know that's going to be different. A lot of states have absolutely no requirements whatsoever, but you need to be aware of what your local legal situation is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate you bring that to the table because myself, living in Arizona, we have no such rules, and so I can essentially you can just keep them on the floor. I could stack them in my front yard, right, I'm like a put them out in the yard. We'll see. I had extra ars. I use them to make a fence cheaper than would right.
Speaker 4: Now, literally cold would now.
Speaker 3: So the thing about that is this is again, these things get more and more complicated over time, and we don't want to make this conversation impenetrable. But like, the kind of safe you acquire is important too, and this is that's a deeper topic than we could ever do in one video. Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and just dovetail out to a friend of mine, Devian all Off. He has a channel. He does a lot of video work about gun safe and which ones are good or bad. Well, let's just say the cheap ninety dollars thing with the cylindrical key lock, isn't it. So you've got to be a little better than that. So I would ask them, let's go with costs you're buying. Let's say, in air fifteen, you're probably going to need to spend and I'm guessing here around two hundred and fifty dollars for a safe that's actually worth a damn Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's about what I spent recently for little handguns safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's build on that.
Speaker 4: Right, Let's say you've decided that you want a gun, and that it is safe for you to have a gun. I think, Yeah, the first thing you want to prioritize is making sure that no one who for whom it is not safe gets that gun, which we've addressed right. The second thing that you need to prioritize is that you could use that gun safely and like you're not a liability every time, yeah, that you pick up and load that gun, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, And part of that is in And maybe I'll have different opinions on this, but I think we're probably some pad picking the right type of firearm. I see a lot of people saying, I am worried I'm going to get attacked, you know, I am. I've been I've gotten a death threat. You know, I'm scared, particularly of this group of you know, Nazis or whatever. So I'm going to buy a handgun, and I will tell you right now. My opinion is that if you are looking for a self defense weapon, a handgun probably shouldn't be what you pick unless you are looking to carry a gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, that's a good quote, right. I carry a handgun because it's unwieldy to walk around with a bin fifty BMG. Yeah, yeah, I cannot.
Speaker 2: I cannot take my ar with me in the street, right, so I keep a nine on me.
Speaker 3: You know, handguns are the most difficult thing to use skillfully under distress and dress than any other firearm, and above and beyond that, they are actually the least effect of it doing the job you think they're going to do than anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're a shocking number of people are shot way more times than you would expect they could survive with a hand gun, right Like that is just a reality of the way that they work. Because they're much much less powerful than a rifle. And it's also like I had a friend a couple of years ago who bought a snubnose thirty eight, thinking, well, this is simple, I can't fuck it up. It's a good and I took her out and was like, I need I'm going to have set up a ten foot target and we'll see how many times you can hit it with this gun. And she could not do it one out of five times. And then I brought out my glock and she was able to hit it every time.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And it's because one of those is a much easier weapon for somebody who is complete a complete novice to learn how to use functionally, right, And it's not the snubnose thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the roughest of most senses. Typically the smaller the gun is, the more a professionally you need to be to use it right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And like with that in mind, you're responsible for every shot you fire right training in self defense, what by fucking accident, because you don't have to clean your gun or what have you. Every bullet that leaves out barrel, it's your fault. And every one of those is potentially someone's life. So when you're thinking about buying a gun. You want to have something where you can a handle it safely and be discharging and know where that bullet's going to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So on that note, this has been asked for me many times, and we're talking about where all we are on the same page. It's like when someone asks me this question and it comes up more than you'd think. First of all, we're getting past the issue of like are you safe to own this and safe storage. So now we're at the point you are buying a gun, right, so you have to think, oh, what's the threat? Are we worried about three years from now and the potential realities of a very caustic and dangerous political future. Are you worried about only home defense? Are you worried about your own self protection walking down the street, because obviously you're not going to be well, not obviously, but for the most part you're not going to be carrying an AAR fifteen down the street. But if you are only worried about your castle, make a joke about castle, doctor, And if you're only worried about your house, inside your house, there is no reason to be picking a pistol, none whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Now I will say that there's a number of folks in the lefty gun space who will say, so, just get an AR fifteen. That's not always going to be practical depending on your loss, right, Like, that is not something that we can say everyone will be able to do, right, Yeah, but we can say there will be a non handgun option that will probably be a better fit for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And this is where we see a lot of people in the gun space. It's kind of weird, like cultural shifts in the zeitgeist. What's the cool defensive thing of the time. But there's a lot to be said depending on what you think you're going to have to shoot a hopefully never of course, but like, yeah, an AR fifteen does things like armour piercing in terms of kevlar and da da da da dah. But for home defense, it really still is kind of hard to go wrong with a shotgun in many instances, and that should not be ignored.
Speaker 4: You know what else shouldn't be ignored, Huh, it's our obligation to pivot to advertisements about every fifteen minutes on this show.
Speaker 3: All right, we're back, Kyle.
Speaker 4: You've mentioned that you think a shotgun sometimes can be more effective than now fifteen.
Speaker 3: Especially.
Speaker 4: Another thing I would add is here, in a state like California, the laws regarding Semul automatic centerfire rifles are incredibly confusing. It's extremely easy to buy something on Amazon and slap it on your gun and render it a felony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would generally say, like in most situations, an AR, if you're new to shooting, it's going to be easier to figure out. They're very simple, easy to upgrade and modify. But like yeah, in California, in a state New York is similar, it's very easy to commit a felony with an AR fifteen and not know that you are. And you don't want to find out that your gun is a felony when you have to use it in self defense.
Speaker 3: Right. This is an instance in which the good old man again, I'm not trying to per I'm not I'm not on team shotgun here, but when it comes to cross all state lines, I mean, sure, there's an exception somewhere, but for the most part, a manually pump activated shotgun, yeah, is likely to not run a foul of the law anywhere. Additionally, there's a good chance that if you were to and we have to consider all realities, there's a good chance that should you need to use it, that when you're in court trying to defend yourself for using this lethal weapon. A shotgun doesn't seem to evoke the same concerns let's say, from courts and from judges that an ar might and yar. You know, regardless of how common they are and how much they proliferate society, there's still those scary rifles. A shotgun does not tend to evoke that same kind of response. It is most likely legal almost anywhere, and the diversity of ammunition you can use in it really bridges the gap from one yard to one hundred yards or more. But a lot of people that are new to guns will think, well, shotgun, I don't need to aim. That is incorrect. Shotguns need to be aimed as much as any other long arm. They're just very effective when they actually connect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of those I think because I do change, like what I am taking with me based on where I go, and like when I'm in California, I generally like if I'm going camping or something, I'll make sure I have a twelve gage in the car, right because I'm not going to try to get whatever this month's gun laws are, right, you know, like that's just not practical to me. That said, I think because there are a number of people who will be very frustrated us talking about shotguns. One thing that they are right about is there's a different type of training that's necessary with the shotgun, and they are in some ways more complicated to use than an AR in part because for every shot, well unless it's a semi automatic, like for every shot you're pumping it, right, and like that is there's muscle memory that has to be built there. Right, it's harder, you know, maybe a little bit slower to get up to a level or at least you have to train differently with it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The other thing about it is that like it loads very differently. You know, a shotgun is a completely different kind of ammunition than an AR has, which all goes back to the whole like you have to be willing to train with whatever it is are going to use, fair enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So ideally, like if you're in this position of thinking, if you can find a friend or failing that, arrange that will allow you to try different guns. I think as a novice, you're going to pick up if you've never shot a gun before, I probably wouldn't pick up a twelve gage shotgun and start pewing away because the recoil will be quite profound and notable to you. So don't start there. Start with something else.
Speaker 2: There's smaller shotguns at twenty gauge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and those are fine expected if you're a smaller statute person. Even a twenty eight or sixteens are hard to probably buy a defensive ammunition for. But I think if you can when you begin that journey after the TV Blell say, with hangguns, find one that fits your hand. You probably have no idea what fits you and feels good if you're just starting out. Yeah, finding someone who is local to you, ideally who has some experience who can help you along that process, I think, and someone who you trust, right Like I've been like I have to train. I have a concealer carry weapons permit in California. The last time I went to take a course like from the outset, I got like xenophobia, homophobia, like jokes that I guess the guy who was instructing the course thought that everyone was in on, just like they made me feel unwelcome and I'm as sis het white guy. Yeah, but I think maybe we should address that, Like, if you're thinking getting started, what kind of instruction should you look for, where should you look for it? And like what would you recommend maybe other sources to Kyle, Like your YouTube channel has been a great resource for me.
Speaker 3: This is this is where we're in the firearms it's owning a thing doesn't make a community. So there's always a phrase the gun community. It's not a thing owning. Owning a thing doesn't make a community. A community is a group of people that bond together over a mutual beliefs and hopefully care for one another. So there's no firearms community. But that's the broad scope of people that have been interested in the topic for the longest doration of time. Has been mostly succeeded to a group that we would not find ourselves aligned with or comfortable with being around. And so this is where the community building thing is real because the more we build communities, and we're behind in this regards in terms to alternative voices in the firearm space, but the more we build that community not only online but amongst one another, the more we're going to have safer, better spaces for us to work together to learn how to use these things safely and efficiently. And that is a challenge. If you walk in sight unseen to a place that is probably foreign to you in firearms land, sadly, at this time point in time, is a pretty good chance it's not going to be something you're gonna be comfortable with, quite honestly, just like you mentioned James, like, it's going to be that kind of stuff. There's probably gonna be Trump stuff on the wall, there's probably going you're probably gonna hear some jokes that are just jokes, but you know they're really not Ye. That's the kind of space that that's filled with. And so when people come and say, well who can I go to to get this training with, I'm like, that's challenging. There's some options online, there's like Operation Blazing Sword, There's there's there's the Liberal Gun Club has some training options as well. But what's better is finding people interconnecting with people of like mind around you if you can, and working together and then actually building a real community that isn't a gun community. And that's what we're going to find solace and the ability to get better with this stuff. Together not a great exactly a strong answer, but if the truth, but if you're going in, if you're going in just unhindered, you're going to expect it to be a place that you're probably not going to be happy with.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's a really good point. I'd like you can we talk a little bit more about training options, like not just because you mentioned Operation Blazing Sword, I'd like to hear a little more about them, but also where people could go for like reading and videos in order to kind of find more information on how to develop proficiency.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So okay, So YouTube university doesn't teach you how to actually like effectively hit targets with something that stuff like that you can you can't. There's no way to learn that besides doing it. But in terms of general firearms unders learning some of the history, learning about how guns work, there are some YouTube resources out there. Tactical girlfriend you already mentioned, has four years of a legacy of content on her site that a lot of it is focused on beginner style content. In fact, she just posted a playlist. She has kind of stopped making videos in general, she mentioned that a while back, but she still has her content online and she posted a playlist recently of all of her how to get going videos one oh one stuff, and that would kind of be where I'd start with. Yes, absolutely, my channel in range TV has some of that. I tend to focus a little bit on the more esoteric and like next level things, but that's not to say it's not there as well. So I'm not trying to sell promote, but I would actually say her playlist is going to be better than some of my own, although we have stuff like that on range TV as well. If you want to open up that dark boy called Reddit, the Liberal Gun Club has resources on it. If you go there, they have a list of people and local resources. You can also google the Liberal Gun Club. I'm not even trying to say anyone do that is necessarily identifying as a liberal, but they are. They have gathered lists of statewide resources as many as they can that are providing training in regional places. That would be a good place to start. Operation Blating Sword is a subset of that Blake I'll I can I pronounce them not named Blake has been on my channel and you'll find him there in the Liberal Gun Club listing. When I think of that, I would say, go to YouTube. Hit up Tactical Girlfriend, go to in Rey's TV if you want to see maybe not one on one but next level stuff, but a friendly space to you. And then check out the Liberal Gun Club best I can say, because they do have a list of resources that they're gathering across the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think one thing that Tactical Girlfriend talks about that is acause because you're right, and I think this is an important point that like, you have to spend time shooting, and you know that costs money in order to get better, But there is one thing that you can do that does not cost ongoing money to get better with a handgun. If you're again looking to carry a gun, which is dry fire training, right, which is a very useful process of building proficiency. You can do it. I mean you could do it every day if you want. It will help. It does not replace needing to go shoot right, But you can find guides. Tactical Girlfriend talks about it a lot, but you can find other guides online and that is a way that you can kind of stretch your AMMO budget and gain additional proficiency.
Speaker 3: There are even products designed specifically for that. One of them popule Mind, and there are others like mantis X, and you make sure your gun is safely unloaded and your proficient with that part of it. You've put these devices in and you can actually fire. A dry fire is firing with no ammunition in the gun. Click at a target on the wall, and it'll teach you things about like did you pull to the right, did you push to the yes, did you dip the gun? And those are very good products that you can use once you buy them. Gets more money, but you could train proficiently in a safe place without firing live ammunition and improve your skills quite a bit. That's good. Point yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say another organization I would plug is armed Equality, especially if like LGBTQIA people a friend of mine, very nice people. As we should go back then to that, like Roberts mentioned dry firing, we've mentioned.
Speaker 2: Well first I think we need to go to ads, Jess.
Speaker 4: You're right, Robert, we should go back to Chumba casino.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so dry fire at the wall and think of trump a casino or just.
Speaker 3: Download an upgrade from neural link that you got from Melong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's right. Our primary sponsors a brain ship.
Speaker 4: All right, we're back. So we've had discussion about training, safe storage, and a little bit about like what to look at firearms wise, But I want to go back to that third one because you are marketed at so heavily when you're trying to buy a firearm, right and the likelihood of you getting misinformation. Right, we all know smaller statute people who have been given yeah as snubnose thirty eight a gun that's entirely inappropriate for them. Cow what like if you could maybe go through like each major category, right, if we do hanggun, shotgun, semi automatic rifle, maybe one that is compatible with AR band states, and one that's you know, yeah, you're in real America.
Speaker 2: There are some options like the ares SCR that are basically AR fifteen's that are a lot easier to keep in compliance in a state like California, but they are also more than twice as expensive as like a budget AR fifteen, right, Like, which is not to say it's impossible to have a budget AR fifteen that is in comp lot in compliance with California law. It's just I am not going to take on the responsibility of telling.
Speaker 3: You how to do that.
Speaker 2: Legally because when I lived in California, I was only about eighty percent sure that I was in compliance with the law.
Speaker 4: If you're in California, my advice would be to go to a shop and buy the gun complete. Yes, don't piece it together off the internet.
Speaker 2: That's good at good advice.
Speaker 3: Oh well, if you're a new gun on or don't pet anything together because the knowledge to make something reliable that you've put together from bits and pieces is not a good idea. You want something that's got to I mean literally, you want something from a quote unquote reputable manufacturer but has a warranty. Like, let's just be that, don't even start with trying to put something together. Yeah, yeah, so let's just go ahead and start with pistol. So the challenge there is like, of course, it would be very nice to be able to buy like four of them, because you can train with the twenty two and practice with this. But let's go with the constraint that we had earlier. Of this thousand dollars and you're going to buy a pistol and with it you plan to train, get better, be proficient, but also maybe have to use it for self defense. You really want to stick with a nine millimeter. I mean there are smaller guns like three eighties and such like that, but we're getting into specialist guns. Yeah. What is what I'm going to say here across the board? When I recommend something, it's going to be the opposite of specialist. It's going to be the most bland, boring possible thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And when it comes to that, and I know that everyone like, but it's a it's a nine millimeter probably a glock. Yep. The glock nineteen is a relatively reasonably sized gun. The seventeen is a little bigger the nineteens. In this no middle ground. It is carriable. It's small enough to be concealed should you have the right to do so. But it's big enough to be viable for being reasonably accurate with with not extensive amounts of training, but enough training to get good. Yeah. And it's a bunch around the nine millimeters magazine that just playing works Yep, Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: If you're on a tight digit, I will say that cops are always you can find trade in police clocks pretty cheap, cops don't shoot very much. You can sometimes get some pretty good deals on those.
Speaker 3: Yep. That's it. I'm revealing a little bit of future history of what's going on in range. We're doing a video in a couple of weeks. There is a strange trade imbalance between us and never mind the politics, Yep, Turkey and they are making some really high end, well made gun. There is a glock clone from Turkey that I can't vouch for yet. But this is the kind of where we're at in the gun space. This thing is interchangeable with all glock parts and the guns like two hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: Oh well you can't.
Speaker 3: We don't know. Yeah, I'm not saying go buy that, but I'm saying we're going to do a review of it. The point is there are glock and blocklike things that can get the price down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And so you're looking at you know, if you get a budget ar for five hundred bucks, you know, a budget not a nine millimeter handgun. Because even if with not counting that one, there are other budget options that are in the three hundred ish dollar range. You just have to look around a bit. And I should also note buying used with a firearm is not like buying used with electronics. If a gun is well maintained, it will outlast you. Yeah right, there are some parts that will need replacing from time to time. Right, Your springs and stuff are going to age faster than other things. And like barrels, you can shoot out, but it takes quite a bit of shooting to shoot a barrel, you know, smooth, right, So it's never a bad to consider, like finding, like you said, like a police trade in or something like that, like that could be a great way to save money.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So when it comes with a pistol, we're talking about buying just one pretty much boil it down to a nine millimeter yep. That is probably a polymer frame gun, not some big heavy steel thing. A glock is is like the de facto. But there are others. I mean, there's there's hks, there's rugers. Yeah, I like SIGs, but they're pricier. Yeah, yeah. Yeah. The thing about glock is block's been around forever. It's the standard, finding, accessorizing, buying magazines or even getting repairs done to a block is ubiquitous across the country. If you get a glock, you'll be able to deal with it, fix it, do whatever you want to it. Straight up.
Speaker 2: And what has helped me a lot in general, is you know, I have my carry gun, I have my home defense firearm, and then I have I have bought built a couple of firearms from the ground up, and I would certainly, as you said, I would never have started there. But because I had the extra money doing that means that has given me so much deeper of an understanding of what goes wrong when things do go wrong with a gun and how to fix it. Like I've replaced every part on my carry gun at this point, right like over time, and it's like given me a much deeper level of understanding of just like mechanically how these things function. You know, building an AR fifteen was the same process, and I'm really I do find that valuable. Obviously it's throwing more money at the problem too, totally.
Speaker 3: So the other advantage of nine milimeter, which is reasonably cheap defeat and shoot, he reasonably cheap to practice with. For those of you that don't know anything about guns, you will typically practice with what's called FMJ bulkpack ammunition. Yeah, nine milimeters one hundred and fifteen grain. It's just a bullet that's got a copper jacket on it and that's your practice AMMO, and then for Carrie, should you be carrying it, you'll probably want to carry something that's specifically designed to be defensive ammunition. They'll be far more expensive per box. But once you get to the point of yes, I am ready safe and capable to carry this, you're going to want to pick something gold dots spear gold dots are a HaLow point. Yeah, designed to specifically be for self defense. But make sure the gun you've chosen works reliably with that defensive ammo, because even though it works one hundred percent with that FMJ, it may not work with the defensive ammon. Y'all might have to play with a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should also know when you are buying AMMO one line, which is not going to be legal in every state, but most people will be able to do this. It pays to be careful. There is a lot of stuff that is sketchier out there and there can be consequences. I have had a firearm. I have had like a handgun blow up in my hand as a result of getting ammunition that I had not shot before. This was in fact Turkish. I think it was because I think it was a hot load but it's possible that it was the result of a bullet be a squib, and that then jammed in the barrel and then another round came in after it. I generally have been pretty good at checking to make sure there's a hole in the paper with each shot, which is something you should be making sure of like when you're shooting, because if you shoot around that like does not have enough powder behind it, right, if you get a bad round, it can jam in the barrel, and then the second round can cause the barrel to burst. This is also why we always wear eye protection. But when looking at AMMO, if you think this looks like good AMMO and it's cheap, look online. I'd like Reddit to the name. See what other people say about it, right, Like, see if you can find anything written about that. If other usually other people, if it's like a less reliable manufacturer will have said I've had a bad experience with this ammunition. Yep, do your diligence right the first time you're shooting a new kind of cheap target AMMO.
Speaker 3: That that being said, like there's a lot of names that almost anyone that's never owned a gun before will recognize, names like Remington, right, Winchester. Yes, these are. That's not to say that they don't make mistakes too, but like, if you're going to go buy a Winchester bulk pack of ammunition, you are boning at least what is generally considered consumer level reliable AMMO if you're buying it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Crazy Bob's reloading shack right, that was what because it's a lot of the sketchy stuff isn't even a manufacturer. It's like AMMO that you may not notice immediately it's like, oh wow, this seems really cheap, and then it'll say in small letters remanufactured, right, which means somebody has reloaded it. Reloaded AMMA. Un Like you know, you can reload AMMO and have it be perfectly good ammuen, But do you know who reloaded this about? Right?
Speaker 3: I will tell you as a person that shoots a lot and has been doing it for decades, I personally, even with all that, I will never fire re manufactured ammunition. I want to deal with Crazy Bob's weird bad Wenesday.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Crazy Bob's Bad Wednesday.
Speaker 3: It's a great.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, we've addressed a pistol, right, Like I want to dress lunguns and then you mentioned a couple of things call which you should also a dress, which are like accessories. A Rubbert mentioned eye protection.
Speaker 3: So me let me let me add one more piece to the pistol and we'll move on the thing now. The whizbang thing now is every pistol has a red dot site on it. A red dot site is essentially an electro optical box that sits on the top of the slide and you look through it to aim, and it projects a red dot like almost like a laser dot if you're not familiar with it to aim with. For the most part, I'm not saying you shouldn't have one because they're cool, But for the most part, a person getting into this specifically for self defense does not need one of those. I don't need to spend three hundred dollars on a red dot. The iron sights that come on any of these guns should be sufficient for most purposes, So don't get sockered into I need that. Yeah, if that's something you want later, think about it, but it's not a requirement.
Speaker 2: Now that said, if a gun has one on it, I don't agree with people who say, like you can't learn to shoot on a red dot I think that that's now you should You will need to look up because it may not be sighted, how to site it right, because it like red dots are a thing like you need to dial them in right, and there is a way to do that. Again, you can find guides to this online, just like you can find guides like mounting a scope on a rifle. These are complex mechanical tasks. A red dot less so than a scope. But you can't just buy a gun with a red dot on it and trust that that red dot points out where the bullet's going to go. That's not how they work. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: My point being is if you gave me, you said, this person here needs to be able to hit a target fifteen yards away, you've got one hour. I would not be messing by giving them a red dot. I would give them with something with sights and just get them through the task.
Speaker 2: If that's where I'm going with that, Yeah, I think that's perfectly reasonable. Yeah. I prefer, like now that I know what I'm doing, to use my red dots and stuff. But I also pretty regularly shoot with iron sights in part because I like it, Like it's it's enjoyable mechanically and it's kind of how I learned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, don't get me wrong, it is better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it also have another level of complexity and it's more to go wrong, Like if you're installing that yourself, it's annoying and it's easy to mess up and then you're upset.
Speaker 3: And yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's move on to long guns. Like one thing that we should mention that you might buy an AR, specifically an AR actually and find that it comes with no sighting systems at all. Yes, and so that's the thing to build into your budget. So let's talk about like what to get for your budget in the long gun category. Calf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when we go to long guns, we talk about rifles and shotguns. Let's stick with rifles for now, I'm assuming so in that regard, this is the thing where like actually have a video on my channel about the NFA, which is the National Firearms Act, which is what regulates a lot of machine guns and stuff. But this also occurs across many gun control laws. They're frequently ablest, and the things that they put the most rescriptions on are the things that are actually most capable, and that means that means air fifteens in their general guys with a pistol grip and a red dot site which we just mentioned for pistols and a thirty round magazine is the thing that is going to be the most I could get anyone. I tell you, anyone capable of hitting at a target at fifty yards within a four hour training session with a red dot sideed Air fifteen and a good magazine. It's a good ammunition. Air fifteens are light low recoil. They're loud because of the five five six, but they're light low recoil guns that almost any one of most body structure can handle. Now there's exceptions, of course, if you have specific physical challenges that's another discussion. But if almost anyone tiny to large can handle a basic AAR fifteen, and it is the gun that is most focused on for gun control, ironically, places like California where they take away things that make it more functional, like no pistol grip or reduce your magazine capacity because they're trying to diminish the functionality of the gun. But the reality is the reason they're doing that is because that is the gun that is most functional for most people, and it is therefore the one that almost anyone can handle pretty well with the smallest amount of training.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, And I think there's a good point there in if I were coaching someone who is buying an AR that has no you know, does not have iron sights on it at all, you are it is much easier to learn how to site in and use a red dot on an AR than learning how to adjust the site the iron sights on an AR fifteen, right, Like, not that you can't learn that that you should again, you have to, you can watch a video on it, but it's much more intuitive to set up a red dot in that way.
Speaker 3: This is actually where I would flip flop. If you're with the pill, don't concern yourself too much of the red dot. If you're going with an air fifteen, concern yourself with the release. Get a red dot to the opposite. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unless you were like in the Marines or something and you know how to dial in your irons, right, and even then you're gonna have a better time with a red dot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally once and a red dot is very intuitive. So one of the things that people are familiar with firearms, but when you bring up a long arm, there's multiple points of contact to the person shooting the gun. When you bring up a pistol, you probably have two hands on it and you're pushing your arms out almost like you're like making a triangle. When you're using a long arm like an air fifteen, there's a butt stock on your shoulder, your cheek is on the actual comb, which is the base of the stalk. Your other hand, your support hand, is holding the gun up on the front of it. You have a minimum of three points of contact with a red dot. That makes it very stable and easy to get reliable hits. And the red dot means you can keep both eyes open, don't need to worry about the idiosyncrasies of focusing on a front site. Essentially, if it's neuro meaning the dot is regulated to where the gun hits, and you put the dot on the thing and press the trigger without doing something like jerking the gun, you'll hit the target. And so that's why that matters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what sort of budge each people be looking at and like, would you be comfortable recommending, like even brands that they should look at.
Speaker 3: It all comes down the cost when it comes to air fifteen, So you can spend as much money as you want the reality is I have a video on the channel. Never mind if you like or just like the company. They're one of the ones that really push the lower cost products out there. PSA it stands for Palm Models, pal Metal State Armory. You can go there and get your branded Trump lower. But at the same time, you can get an AR fifteen for like four hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like in the gun space, you're not going to find someone to buy who is spotless and selling guns in large numbers cheaply.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that's not so like, So so for foreigner bucks are around there. From PSA, you can get a traditional what's called an M four. It's essentially a sixteen inch car beam. It won't have any sighting system on that, so expect to throw another two hundred bucks ish onto a reasonable red dot site on that. So for around the six hundred dollars range, you're gonna get a gun that's going to weigh seven pounds, but it's gonna have low recoil and you're gonna have something that's for the most part, reasonably reliable. Is it the best of the company is the best of the best. No, but it's reasonably lightweight. It is well manufactured. I've done videos about them on my channel. They've worked just fine. And so four or four inner ish for the gun, of the two hundred for the sighting system, couple mags. You could get out of the door for under seven hundred dollars with everything probably under that, maybe under six hundred even if you're careful. Oh but let me plug one thing. If you've got lots and lots more money, double that you get what would Stunter do? Carbon which I designed. It'll be half the weight and super reliable from Katie Arms. But I doesn't bring any money to me. I'm just saying. The point I'm making here is you can get something good enough, and if you've got more money, there is better out there that are lighter, more reliable guns. But you don't need to is my point. I'm not trying to sell anything here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are one of the few manufacturers who offer like a California compliance solution at checkout, which is nice for California people.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so that can be a really beneficial thing to you in terms of you know, not having it be something that you're scared about.
Speaker 3: California Compliant will probably need no flash hider, no pistol grim and a fixed magazine at least at this point in time.
Speaker 4: You can have you can have the removable magazine if you don't have the flash heighted pistol grip in the collapsing stock.
Speaker 3: So okay, all right, well, if you can buy it from them ready to go, there's I know, there's also a magazine capacity requirements or in case so maybe you have to buy like a couple ten round bags or something like that. Yeah, yeah, obviously thirty round bags are better than ten round bags, and for mostly if you live in a place like California, do not worry too much about that. If you get a little proficiency on that, a couple ten round bags will do a lot.
Speaker 2: And to be honest, in self defense shootings, the odds are load that you will be firing that many rounds right now. If you're in a self defense shooting where you do need more bullets than that, there's really nothing that can replace having those bullets you know, available.
Speaker 4: But yeah, don't get raptraniacs on it, like it's not something you can change.
Speaker 2: The fact that you only have a ten round magazine does not mean that you can't become proficient.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't want anyone here to think that I'm saying you shouldn't you should be able to get six ye round magazine. One far as I'm concerned, places like California to have these restrictions have them statistically speaking, and I don't know if this dat has changed. Most self defense shootings happen within three yards, three seconds, three shots fired. Yeah, yep, yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: I think it's really good to remember that when you are seeing some YouTube thet tell you need to be able to have thirty rounds in five five hundred yards.
Speaker 2: I don't go downtown without my backpack and my SBRD three hundred black APT with six thirty round magazines accessible.
Speaker 4: I was in conservative man scat of cities.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I carry an RPG and I take the little safety camp off because I like to live now.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, dangerous down there. My clothing is made out of debt cord. I just wear nothing but debt cord wherever I go. We're all going down.
Speaker 4: At least you take some people with you.
Speaker 3: It's all city blocks.
Speaker 4: Then, yeah, self defense Montden.
Speaker 3: But let me say one more thing about long arms. Another thing you'll see from people that are new in the space, depending on like what they've seen or what they've consumed. This is going to get some hate. Don't bother with aks, Yeah, just don't. This is the United States of America, and this country believes in the air fifteen. And what that boiled down to is they're everywhere. They're prolific. The parts are here, Yeah, the repairs here, they're well manufactured. When you stray from that course to something like an AK, you're first of all, you're losing ergonomics. But that's a different problem. You're dealing with an unknown quantity of problems. You get an Air fifteen. That's what's in this country. It's what's prolific. Yeah, if you were in if you were in somewhere war torn Africa, get your AK here.
Speaker 2: I'll say this about the war torn AK countries because I've been in three contries where the primary arm is an AK M right, like a kind of AK right Siri, Ukraine, in Iraq. In all three of those countries, every soldier who knew their stuff, who was proficient and had the option, chosen AR platform if they could. Yeah, one hundred percent of the time, they're just better firearms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's been my experience as well, they look cool, but but don't go Yeah, just get a their fore Yeah, Like I love my ak's, but they're they're range fun toys, right like.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So let's talk.
Speaker 4: About accessorizing, which again is much easier with ais and aks. Like, what other stuff do you need to build into your budget? If you've not shot before, you might not know that you need a pro ipro sling, maybe haulster.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll start with the firearms accessories, right, So with the pithtol. First of all, we talked about safe storage. That's already off the table with the pistol. If you plan to carry it, you need a good reliable holster and a good reliable gun belt.
Speaker 2: Good lord, Yes.
Speaker 3: Depending on how you want to carry it, that'll determine the kind of holster. If you want an outside the waistband, which means it sits outside your belt, that's one thing. If you're carrying it concealed, you're probably gonna want an inside the waistband, which goes between your belt and your body. Again under the level of training there, because when you're drawing from that, things can go wrong, sure, and that's where people tend to shoot themselves. So that's what you needed to be very cautious of. But with a pithtol typically you're going to want probably an extra magazine or two. It may come with one, depending on what you bought, a quality gun belt and a quality holster.
Speaker 2: Now what about what about a forty four derringer and an ankle holster on each angle, right like that seems like the ideal solution. Anytime you're in danger. You just got a squat right down there, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, get real low.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially when you've been pushed pushed onto your back by the mob and you're there on that scene and you're pulling it out of your ankle holster.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, no, no, no, just just get a wire around the trigger and attach it to your toes.
Speaker 3: So that you can squeeze your toes and fire the detention. What you need is the belt buckle revolver from North American US. Yeah, that is great. Yeah, no, from that freaking movie, the lampire movie Quinn Tarantino.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, sons, that's still done.
Speaker 3: God yeah, no, before the pip belt, a magazine or two extra it might come with them, and a quality holster. Now, the obvious puctioning is what's a quality holster, And the obvious answer is there's too many out there to be able to offer you that answer right now. Probably something polymer if it's going to be outside the waistband, and this will be another one that'll get people fired up. Generally, avoid the Surpa holsters unless you really want to have a lot of training. Surpa holsters are one that have a little button on the side that allows the gun to come out if you're not trained well or have the wrong gun in it. It also allows you to accidentally shoot yourself quite easily as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, best avoided. That's a very good point. And also one thing I will note is there's a danger that a lot of people aren't aware of with leather, which is that leather holsters. Now, there are some leather holsters that have like a trigger area reinforced with kax, which is, you know, a rigid, class sticky substance. But if it's not in time, those can start to like get weaker and warn in such a way that it can also cause it to press the trigger when you holster it. Like that's a thing that has happened to people. So I generally think you want whatever. You want the trigger guard to be rigid and not something that's going to like warp and be malleable around the trigger, right, Like the whole point is that it stops the trigger from fire.
Speaker 4: Yes, this you want to avoid that. How about with the with the longens, like what are you going to need to budget for those? And then other things like for shooting Germany that you'll need if you don't already have then, So.
Speaker 3: When it comes to the long arm, we already said if you're going to get an air fifteen, you're going to want to stick some sort of red odside on it. The lowest cost ones that are the unbelievably bomb proof are a Chinese company called hollow Song. Hell yeah, I have a hollow Sun from twenty seventeen that is still works just fine.
Speaker 2: I love my hollow suns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my hollow Sun's been bounced down an asshall road and it still works fine.
Speaker 2: So it's the opposite of a fail sun, a hollow sun.
Speaker 3: So you can pick up a red dot hollow soun. Those can go. You can get those sometimes sometimes that low is like one hundred and fifty bucks. Yeah, so you'll need a red dot site a sling is nice, not required, especially if you're going to be using within the premises of your property, you probably don't need to worry about that. It Also, slings can cause issues like get caught on things or on things in your house, or even tangle you up. So that's this training issue. So sling is iffy, an extra magazine or two. And if you're planning on needing to use this for a defensive purpose inside of your home or structure or at night, it's not the worst thing in the world to throw on a flashlight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, especially if it's like a defensive firearm like it's your home defense gun, or a carry gun like a flashlight. And also if you're I think it's generally a good idea if you're going to carry a carry firearm with a flashlight, their flashlight that's not on a gun, because one thing you should never do is use your gun flashlight to look at.
Speaker 3: Just random shit that you need a flash light, bark, you come home at night in the dark, you forgot, you forgot, you can't find which key is the right thing. Don't do that, don't do that, don't do that.
Speaker 4: It's a pretty good list of accessories set make sure you have a lad air and eye protection as well.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna go on the safety side of things. You need proper shooting glasses. That means not the glasses that you picked up for readers at Walgreen. If they're shooting glasses can be as cheap as nine bucks all the way up to hundreds of bucks. You can get them at the sporting good store. But they're designed with the kind of plastic to be able to take shrapnel or hits from pieces of fragments that are high velocity. They're meant for that. So ten dollars shooting glasses, Yes, you need. Yes, hearing protection. Those can be squishy earplugs you put in your ear or they can be over the head mouths. Do not ever shoot guns except in the most critical conditions or situation. Yeah, without eye protection and hearing protection. Yes, that's the kind of stuff where you lose an eye and every time you fire that gun, you're losing hearing every time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and like for the really because obviously most like it hurts to shoot a firearm without hearing protection. Like you can get away with shooting a gun without EyePro every time, but the one time right, which is why I really emphasize eye protection. It's easy to convince yourself I don't need to have it on right now, you do, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, because that's the day that it does the thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, guns do fuck up, for lack of a better term, and you really don't want your eye unprotected if they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's a bad day.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and so. But you on the safety side of eye protection and hearing protection, it can be as cheap as ten dollars shooting glasses and a bottle of squishy earplugs. You're gonna be in there for twenty bucks. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't have to be expensive. Make sure you have it and make sure you see it.
Speaker 3: But you know what, before you do any of this, you know what's a smart thing to do. Go take a class from Stop the Bleed and learn how to use tourniquets in medical gear. Yah, and have that around anyway before you ever buy a gun. Go do that. Yes, a mess, that's the most important thing you could do for anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and that, as you said, should be a priority before getting the firearm. And if you have the money to get and train a gun, you have no excuse for not having an individual first aid kit, an I fact and the knowledge of how to use it right, and I.
Speaker 3: Think Stop the Bleed classes are usually free. You can look it up and stop the Bleed dot com or dot org, google it, take a class. It's easy. How to use a tourniquet, use how to use a bandage. Have an IPAC as was just mentioned, which can be a pretty simple kit.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 3: And as you said, Robert, if you can afford a gun, you can afford that and have that with you on the range anytime you're shooting, because as you said, guns can fuck up. They usually don't, but if they do, you're gonna want that I fact and that I fact and that training might just help your neighbor one day when they get in a car accident or whatever.
Speaker 2: I regularly make the decision not to carry my gun with me places.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to go out and get drunk tonight. I don't need if I have a fire.
Speaker 3: Alarm on me when I'm drunk.
Speaker 2: But you know what I always have is the ifact right every single time, you know, because number one drunk with an IFAC, I'm no I might I'm probably less effective, but I'm not going to endanger anyone. You're just like, hey, buddy, I think you need a partner kit. He's like, no, give me here. Google said, this goes around the neck.
Speaker 3: But once again, a sotoppable class on an IPAC is more likely to serve you or your community more than any gun ever will. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's a great place. I would say that. If you are going down this pathway and you're looking to join openly leftist gun organizations, there are several, right, John Brown Gun Club, Socialist Rifle Association, We've had those people on our show before. Be cautious when you're doing that and keep an eye on things, because that could be something that might get you into into trouble in the long run. So it's something to be aware of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might be good to just put a holder on joining a new organization until we're a few months into this.
Speaker 3: Thing coming up next year.
Speaker 2: Maybe have an idea about what kind of things might be safe and what kind of things might be less safe.
Speaker 3: Definitely, no, but none of that stops you from using signal, building community and learning how to use a firearm properly.
Speaker 2: Right at meeting people, yes, and like training with them, you know, or and taking getting training, getting building proficiency. Absolutely, all of that is legal and will remain legal. Just don't start if anyone ever talks to you about let's make a militia, do that. It's time to leave that conversation, right because, among other things, at this point, there's a good chance they're the FBI.
Speaker 3: If you live in Michigan, do not. Yeah yeah, this podcast brought to you by co Intel Pro.
Speaker 1: Do you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's great, But.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a tough challenge. So the other thing you can do is also, once you've got your basic proficiency up and you know that you are safe in terms of hand handling things, let me throw this out there too. It doesn't have to be any specific one. Although remember you're going into a space that may not be politically your comfortable place. A good place to build up skill is to go shoot matches competitions. Yeah, for the most part, it's business oriented. You'll see you'll hear some stupid comments here or there, depending on what match you're at, but the reality is you're not there for that. You're there to get better with your gun on a course of fire that they put up for you. Pay your ten bucks or twenty bucks learn how to shoot better in those conditions, and that's another space to once the basic trainings out of the way, don't go to a match the b training. Use the match to help increase your skill after you've gotten training. But those matches can be a place to really help you out a lot. And there's a lot of them around and those are easier to find than almost anything.
Speaker 4: Yep, practice scores where you can lick them up if you're into that kind of thing. Excellent, Thanks very much for joining us, Kyle. Do you want to very briefly plug your YouTube channel? Where can people find you?
Speaker 3: Well? Sure, and thank you for having me on the show. It's always a treat. I really appreciate it. It's always great to be able just to hang out with you both. Shuld do it more often. You can find my work it's in Range TV. You can find my website at inrange dot tv. I'm distributed decentralized across multiple platforms, a predominant one being YouTube. Cover everything from civil rights history, human rights to firearms to from old West flintlocks up to the most modern machine guns across the channel. Some of it is instructional, some of its history and I've got a cool video dropping tomorrow, in fact well tomorrow based on when we're recording this on the Opium Wars and how Britain and China's firearms technology discrepancy caused Hong Kong to be owned by Britain. That's the kind of stuff I do on my channel. So check that out. And if you want to find matches that are going to be a place that is truly an inclusive space, we do run matches called Brutality Matches. You can find them at Brutalitymatches dot org. They're not monthly, we have run a couple of them across the country, but I can guarantee you that's the space you will feel comfortable because we make it that way.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks col.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen Here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.