Speaker 1: Good morning, peeps, and welcome to OOKF Daily with Meet your Girl Danielle Moody. Pre recording from the Home Bunker. Folks, Whenever I have the opportunity, as I've said this week, to bring on friends of mine, genuine friends of mine to the show and friends of the show, I'm always deeply honored and please because it gives me an opportunity to go beyond the headlines and to frankly the heart of the matter, which is, as you know, where I actually want to be taking this show. Waha hot Ali is a colleague, He is a friend, He is a righteous warrior for justice, and he is also my co host on Democracy Ish, which airs on Thursdays, Folks, and if you're not checking out out you should wherever you get your podcasts. And today's conversation with waj you know, I didn't want to talk about what is trending in the news, although we do bring it up. I wanted to talk to him about what it means to be a person of faith at a time when so many people are feeling so dark, and to be a person of faith in a faith and religion that is demonized, even though it is billions strong what it means to raise thoughtful, compassionate, empathetic global citizens. He has three kids, and so today's conversation is about, you know, continuing the work that we do that keeps us in the news, in the acid rain every single day. But how do we continue to hold on to our faith, our joy, our purpose and not allow ourselves to become hardened and distant and disconnected because of the despair and the grief that we are seeing on our screens every single day. So I hope that you take from this conversation some tips and some tools to how to keep yourself spiritually and emotionally and mentally well and how to continue to want to be a part of the progress and the change, because that's the kind of work that we need to be doing, is recognizing our shared humanity. Coming up next my conversation with my friend Waja hot Ali. Folks, I am so excited whenever I get to do a crossover mashup with this time of my favorite friends and Waja hot Ali, author of Go Back to You to Go Back to Where You Came from, Daily Bee's columnist and my co host of one of my fifty eleven thousand podcasts, Democracy Ish is in the Woke app house today and I am grateful while we are pre recording this at a time when there is just devastation, grief that is raining down in our country, around the world, and people are struggling, and because we happen to have decided to, for whatever fucking reason, make a career out of analyzing, out of analyzing chaos. I want to start off with you as a human being, which is, you know, people get some idea of what it's like to bathe in acid rain on a regular basis, but that kind of how I feel that this job has become and I want to, you know, ask you from from whence you came into this profession till now?
Speaker 2: You know? How?
Speaker 1: How how has how do you manage? How are you managing through this chaos?
Speaker 2: Some people bathe in acid rain. I play slip and slide. Uh, you know that's I embrace it. I like, bring on the toxicity, bring on the contaminated water. It's one of It's a good question, and it's a question which really I think it's a it's a question to ask many of us because so many of us who do this, what we do is like masochists. We voluntarily hurl ourselves towards the bigots, and you kind of get and it's it's important not to get numb, because you want to recognize that, you know, ugliness and bigotry and hate should not be just tolerated, right, Like you don't have to just take it. And that's one of those things where you have to realize that you know, I am a human being, I have self worth. I realize that I've created this type of implicit contract with the universe that whenever you're a public figure, the universe will respond. Everyone's a critic. But that doesn't mean that you have to sit there and take people shit and abuse, right. And that's something that like years ago as a writer, I figured it out, like, yeah, you can give me your unsolicited opinion, and sure you can come in and tell me how to end my play and how I should have started my article, even though you've never written anything before, and you can think I've done. But I don't have to sit there and indulge your ignorance, stupidity and hate.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I can choose.
Speaker 3: This is a choice, folks, to ignore.
Speaker 2: And always the recommendation I give young journalists and writers, especially those who ventured as social media. I'm like, ignoring is a choice. You don't have to accept every fight you're invited to. You can say, and you need that for your mental health, and you need that for your self worth. And there is not enough time in the day, Daniel. The second thing is I think there is something to be said about disposition. Some people like me, I think are capable, not because I'm better than anyone of taking it.
Speaker 3: I can take it.
Speaker 2: I can take a lot more than most, and a lot of stuff bounces off me, and I'm able to respond in a way. I don't know if you've seen my social media where I respond like Bugs Bunny and not like Daffy Duck. Now what do I mean by that? If you've ever seen the cartoons, folks, Bugs Bunny is always chilling in his cubby hole. He's never bothering Yosemite Sam or Elmer Fudd. He just like watching TV eating his carrot. It's always Yousemite Sam and Elmer Fudd who are messing up Bugs Bunny's date, right, And so what Bugs Bunny does is he uses Elmer Fudd and Yusemite Sam's traps against him. And he also has a little fun while doing it. And so for me, Danielle, the strategy that I've done and you could probably see in my tweets and facebooks when I respond to some ignorant comments is uh, I try to have a.
Speaker 3: Little fun with it.
Speaker 2: Now, people say, well, you're not going to change the biggest opinion.
Speaker 3: I won't.
Speaker 2: But my audience is a global audience. And when I want to show my audience is this is how you can respond to hate.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 2: This is how we can smile during the acid rain. This is where I don't lose my joy. This is where I don't lose my mind. This is where I don't self hate. And I'll give you an example. Yesterday someone forgot a comma, but I had a little fun. He was trolling me because of course there's the hellish chaos that's happening in Israel Gaza right now, and says like what to do with Hamas w Jahat, But there was no comma between Hamas and wa Ja Hut, And so I said, I'm not Lamas w Jahat, I've never met him. I'm American, overweight, left handed Jahat. Nice to meet you, and all these people just like had to like people are like man, I needed that laugh then yeah, yeah, So that's how I respond. And also I will say this is two things. I make sure I have a space mental and spiritual where I cleave it off and I lean into what gives me joy, you know, my kids, my wife, food, whatever it is. And I recommend that for everyone find spaces that give you joy. And the second thing I will say is I forget sometimes, Danielle, how you and I do is not for everyone.
Speaker 3: Like I had a.
Speaker 2: Friend, yeah last week, tell me, he openly said he's like. I got trolled by one person on Twitter, which led to like six tweets. It unhinged me all day and it made me realize, oh shit, this is what you deal with all the time. And you asked me this question, I'll answer it. It really started with me with nine to eleven. The first time I got told to go back to where you came from was when I was twenty one years old, yep, a student leader at MSA. My email was on the cal Muslim Student Association website and guess who got all the hate mail? And it's been like that every day ever since.
Speaker 1: I think that it is extraordinary one to be able to slip and slide and acid rain. The imagery of that we need to have somebody draw that cartoon and you as bugs bunny just makes me. That brings me joy. But being able to essentially have not like teflon down, but to actually have like real thoughtfulness in how you make a choice, a conscious decision not to take on other people's shit, right that you can, because what I feel happens with times that we are living in that feel like you're just inundated everywhere you go, is that you forget that you can turn it off. You forget that you can walk away from the fights that are beckoning you. You forget that you don't have to have the news on for twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, that you can choose something else. And I think that you and I talked about this, you know, last week on democracy issue, where we talked about choosing humanity right, choosing humanity above all else. It seems like a really old and kind of cliche thing to say, but it's like when you look around and all things are going to hell, like literally hell in a handbasket. I don't think that you can choose anything other than humanity because the darkness like will just take hold of you. So, you know, for you, you talked about you know, finding joy through your children, through your faith, and I want to give you an opportunity to talk about that faith, to talk about out you know, because you are a very faithful Muslim. You are practicing Muslim that are raising three children, you know, in a country that does not love you, and and a in a world where there are billions that practice. But it is a religion that has been demonized. Yeah, so what does it mean to hold on to to a faith and to be so faithful with a religion that has been placed in being synonymous right with terrorism and hate?
Speaker 2: So some dark humor And there's a joke I do with my Muslim friends and they just shake their head, but they laugh. Anytime you hear about like someone converting to Islam, especially after nine to eleven, I'm like, why did you choose the losing team? Are you sure about this?
Speaker 4: There are other world religions, you know, and they and then I'm like, I'm very suspect, you know, like are you really Muslim or are you representing some like law enforcement?
Speaker 2: Because why would you want to join us, especially in America after nine to eleven some dark humor exactly because you're part of a I think you said it in.
Speaker 3: One of your videos which I laughed. The Big Three, it's.
Speaker 2: Like, we got the Jews, we got the Christians, We've got the muslim like the Hindus, Like what do I mean?
Speaker 3: Like no, not you on the bench, not you on the bench right now?
Speaker 2: Like how about five r heres? No, no, no. But you know, the the interesting thing is, first and foremost, I'm very cognizant as to why there is a rise in the nuns n O n e s, not n U n e s. It's because organized religion, the way it has been practiced, in the way it has been abused young generations, Danielle, even millennials, They're like, we don't want this. Why do we want to bring in such a toxic force that has brought us so much pain and misogyny and racism and homophobia and cruel We're done with it now. What's so fascinating is with the rise of the nuns, which freaks out the Big Three. By the way, I always tell the Big Three folks that something my fellow believers. I'm like, first of all, understand why people are leaving right. Secondly, when they're leaving this what's fascinating. And then an answer to your question, people are still surging, Daniel, it's not. People are so they'll go to yoga, they'll go to cross fit, they'll go to Coachella, they'll go to Burning Man. And when you really like go like investigate, Look what's that root of this? Human beings need connection. It's talking to a friend of mine who who's a psychiatrist, very well educated in the Bay Area, and I asked him recently, you know Boutuk's ago. I said, what do most people come to you with? He said, you know, there are people who have everything. They have the money, they have the zip code, they have the job, picture perfect family. They don't have contentment. They have anxiety, unrest, depression. So I'm like, what's the root cause of it? And he goes, people just need connection. They need something firm, something to ground themselves with, something you know, to feel something sincere with someone or something. And this is why for me, I do believe in God. That's what's so funny. People are like, your politics are very progressive, but you're like a traditional Pakistani uncle at home, you know, like three kids, you're a teetotaler. You've gone to hudge, you pray. I'm like, it is very funny for me. It gives me a connection and rudedness to something bigger than myself. It allows me to connect to force that allows me to recognize that in the grand scheme of things, I'm but what nothing.
Speaker 3: It makes me.
Speaker 2: Realize that if you take away the divisions and the externalities, we're all part of one collective goop. You know, everyone has a spirit, everyone has a soul. It likes to tap into a collective humanity. It allows me to think outside, out of myself and that there's something greater Danielle than me. There is a purpose to my life. There is limited time, and what do I do with that time? How do I choose to live my life and to exercise and flex the privileges that I've been given right and then the last thing it is it really deals with a mindset for me, and so I can choose to be miserable, or I can choose to invest in joy. I can choose to see what the lack of everything, or I could choose to see what's in front of me. I could choose to be grateful, or I could choose to be miserable. And for me, that's what that perspective, Danielle is what has helped me navigate much of the you know, crazy shit that's happened in life that you know about that for me, it's given me that peace of mind and peace of soul. And at the end of the day, what I'll end with this is, you know, I've never proselytized because I think it's a very personal relationship between a person and God. And that's why I don't care if you will do what you do what you gotta do. But for me, I always tell people this, like, how do you know of God existsingly? I don't know. But what I do know is I have a limited time on this earth, and with the time that I have, this makes me.
Speaker 3: A better person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I you know, I respect that so much as somebody who was not brought up in the church. I opted out of church when I was ten. My grandparents were taking my sister and I. They were Protestants. They were taking my sister and I and I said to my mother, you know, it just doesn't feel And I was ten, and I'm like, it just doesn't feel right. And I don't really want to go, but I don't want to upset grandma and grandpa. And she said, I'll talk to them. And what I have found is that for me, organized religion has always been very dogmatic in the things that you couldn't do right. And I think that, you know, it was always like, you know, if you're a woman, you have to act like this. You know, you have to have babies, you have to wear a skirt, you have to be docile to and it was always very prescriptive. And I thought, you know, this universe, this this world that we're living in, is so massive, right, Like the God that I believe in, which I do, doesn't believe in in in restriction, right, Like like like why would you create a universe that is so boundless and so beautiful to tell people don't smell that flower, smell this one, don't talk, you know, don't pet that dog, pet this one? Right? And so what I have come to understand is that it is it's it's man is the problem, you know, Like, it isn't. It isn't the it isn't spirit, it isn't God, it isn't the universe. It is it's the way that I view politics, right, Like, I believe in government for and by the people. I believe that there is a way to build a society that has humanness at the center of it, right, not privilege, not greed. And so when you look, when you detact, like the the the dogma from like what the belief structure is that all people should be able to exist free of harm, you know, and be able to like enjoy the bounty uh in their in their lives. It's just like, what does what stops that from happening? Right?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: And and so for me, the friction has always been with the manipulation of scripture what I mean, plug in whatever religion you want versus the actual source. Because there was some there's some guy who I think his name is Matthew Cook, and he's a writer and a director and he's you know, all over social media and he did this you know, beautiful video where he was just like, if you look at everyone's text, it all formulated from this same literally the same place, but literally the same ideas, right of fasting for clarity of one to center the least among us. Right, So it isn't it wasn't the idea that was that you know that the ideas are the same, it's the interpretation that has been contorted. And so I always, you know, I find myself and I'll ask you this now, even though you are a traditional Pakistani Buslam uncle, which is you know, how has your faith and the way that you are also raising your children, if it has that all changed shifted over the last few years.
Speaker 2: You know? So I always tell people, why are you exactly what you said? Why are you so surprised that people are leaving when all they've witnessed is abuse and prescriptions that pretty much tell them don't do anything, and if you do it, you'll go to help. Are you shocked if you are teaching religion as a way that instead of being a shield that protects the most marginalized, it sword in particular attack women and the marginalized, and it unleashes nothing but cruelty and makes people miserable. There's no joy, there's no benefit of it. There's no joy, like what's your cell? Your cell is do this or you'll go to hell. And it doesn't stick with people, Danielle.
Speaker 3: And I've seen.
Speaker 2: What I've seen is when religion is promoted and pushed that way, and it is in the Big Three oftentimes a lot of my friends, you know, and when they get older in their thirties and forties, and their soul.
Speaker 3: Needs to be nourished.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they need hope, they need joy, they need something esoteric. Simply saying don't do this or else it just doesn't fill the void. The void, the emptiness. And what we're seeing now is this crisis of emptiness, of apathy, of nihilism, of cynicism, of lack of connectedness. And I think this is where, like you said, the source of it all is a profound spiritual source where, if you really think about it, all of us literally come like even the primordial suit, we all came like we all got star stuff in us, right, Yeah, And this is where I think the core of it is is how do you maintain the particularities of your religion, but don't let that get in the way of appreciating and indulging and investing in our shared humanity. Yeah, our shared humanity. And what you're what you're articulating is where religion actually, instead of allowing us to expand ourselves and to be generous and to invest in our shared humanity, it puts the walls. That's a coper, disbeliever, fassic, mushrik, aggressor, pervert. You know me me me, me, me here, and let me construct a small cocoon and live in that cocoon forever, which is what we're seeing more and more in the United States of America, especially with disinformation. So for my children, what me and my wife do very deliberately is we live in a very diverse neighborhood. Our neighbors they're best friends, are Ethiopian Americans. They're other best friends. Are I just found out yesterday actually conservative, never Trumper, Republicans who are Evangelical Christians white. My kids are the brown kids. You've heard my home before every time we recorded like eight hundred children in our home. Our home is that like neighborhood home like yesterday, Like like's like from six to eight thirty. I look at my house, there's like seven kids just going wild, and I'm like, all right, that's great. And so what we tell our kids is we are raising you musclim but know that not everyone is Muslim. You are Pakistani, not everyone is Pakistani. Your job is to be the best version of yourself, but also be respectful to everyone else. Right, don't look down on people. You know that my son went to a preschool and there were two moms, and we've talked about this. We're now like all these religious communities like LGBT, the butt, sex, the trans what's happening? And then what we did. My son was four and now he's nine. But like we literally said, hey, Abraham, you know that your friend who came over and his two moms. You know, every family is different. Some people have two moms, some people one month, some people are biracial, but you know, you just be respectful to people and you understand that the world is big that way. And you know what my four year old son goes, Yeah, okay. Kids have this capacity of innocence and generosity that we get hardened, Danielle as we get older. So what we're trying to cultivate is this elasticity, this expansion. You know, be centered and grounded in who you are, be proud of you who you are, but don't let that be used as a cudgel against any way. Right And I've said to him, and having lived this life as oftentimes a token Muslim in a climate where we are condemned even right now, I have to condemn violent acts done by Hamas. Even though I'm born and raised in America, we're all lumped together. I say, the choice is, if people are cruel to you, do you choose.
Speaker 3: To respond with kindness or cruelty?
Speaker 2: If people are miserly, do you choose to expand yourself to be generous? And just because everyone else is like that doesn't mean you have to be either. You can be the model of a good, decent, generous human being who is firm and true to your roots, is never embarrassed or ashamed about it, but also invites the kid next door to come to our home for shelter and food.
Speaker 1: Oh wajah hut, We're so good you. I mean, you're not trying, You're actually doing and creating hopefully, you know, wonderful, thoughtful global citizens that are rooted in their own practice, spirit, and self and can see like the love and compassion in other people that don't look like them, that don't pray like them, that don't love like them. That's the goal. That's you know, that's the goal and it and it I think that this will help people understand that everything is a choice. Every every moment in our lives, we have a choice. We can choose to be kind, We can choose to be loving. We can choose you know, or you or we can pickle and spite, you know, and and and hatred. And this is coming from somebody who you know, carries around a mustard seed of hope. But I tell I, you know, but I tell people like this is this is a journey because if rage alone, if anger alone was going to uh was going to be the answer, then all of the doors would have been unlocked by now, right, that's it's not it's not the answer. And so I appreciate you so very much, and I'm just, you know, so thankful of the way that you were raising your beautiful children and family and for the work that you're doing and for you know, but being the bugs bunny to you know, to the Yosemite Sam.
Speaker 2: You know why because our people, and I'm talking about the people who have oftentimes been on the wrong side of privilege and who have not been seen as the real American boy, I have to always prove our loyalty. And I'm talking about any person of color. If you're poor, indigenous Muslim right now, it's the teas but LGBTQ, right the model that we've been given. I want to end on this oftentimes is rage, anger, pain, and our kids see that, and our kids see that, and our kids would be like, you know what, I don't want that. I'm going to tap out. And so I want my kids and that generation to be like, oh, Baba tried. I mean it was kind of weird and old and overweight, but he tried, and he still had joy, and he still loved our mama, and he played with us. And there is a way to live this life with purpose and intentionality and fight the good fight, but also not give up your vanity and not give up your smile. And I think that's a better story and a better model for our kids. And that's the one that I want to impart.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, my friend. Appreciate you every single day. And folks, if you're not listening to us on democracy is, you're missing all of these jewels and jajah Hat's movie phone voice and all of his Pakistani uncle jokes. It's amazing.
Speaker 5: In one of Daniel's four hundred and thirty six podcasts records, every week, this is totally abnormal, right, That is it.
Speaker 1: For me today, Dear friends on Woke af as always power to the people and to all the people power. Get woke and stay woke as fuck.