Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news. This is the Daily Show with your homeless Daisy Line.
Speaker 4: Wow, welcome to.
Speaker 5: The Daily Show. I'm Danny Lighting.
Speaker 6: We've got so much to talk about. Tonight, the GOP doubles down on transphobia, Fox News puts Kamala in the hot seat, and Donald Trump is embarrassing En Espanol. So let's get right into it with another installment of Indecision twenty twenty four. Most of this campaign, Harris and Donald Trump have stuck to doing friendly interviews. Kamala Harris has gone on MSNBC in the View, and Donald Trump has gone on outlets favorable to him like Newsmax and the No Fatties podcast with the Ruby Brows sponsored by Creatine. But this week they tried something new.
Speaker 7: She's going into the lions Den of Fox News, and Kamala Harris went into the lions Den.
Speaker 1: Kamala Harrison went into the lions Den and came out landscape.
Speaker 6: Donald Trump last night had a town hall in Univision. He goes into rooms that are not very friendly.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump is willing to walk into the lions Den.
Speaker 6: Yes, both Kamala and Trump went into the lions Den this week, although they only got Trump there by telling him it was the name of a strip club. Now, Kamala is lions Den was Fox News, so I guess it was a Fox den where she sat down with Brett bhar So maybe it was a bear's den. Anyway, no matter what animal it was, the point is it was very tense.
Speaker 4: The first bill, practically within hours of taking the oath, was a bill to fix our immigration system this man.
Speaker 8: It was called the US Citizen Citizenship Act of two thousand twenty one.
Speaker 6: It was essentially but I wad a citizenship for I finished, I finished responding.
Speaker 7: For you, but you have to let me finish concerns. Joe Biden is not on the ballot. I understand Donald Trump. Donald Trump talked about it, and Donald did.
Speaker 9: George Clooney said within a few minutes of talking to President Biden at a fundraiser that he thought this was not the same Joe Biden that we saw on.
Speaker 7: The debate station is on the ballot. I understand, madam. How Donald Trump has all this month has treated and talked about America's military and military service people.
Speaker 10: And losers has diminished signific talking over each other.
Speaker 7: I apologize.
Speaker 6: So can we get that mute button from the debate so she can complete a sentence? Come on, Brett, you invited her on to speak with you. This is an interview with the vice president, not sex with your wife.
Speaker 11: You have to let the woman finish.
Speaker 6: The whole interview is like this. When he wasn't trying to shut her up, he was trying to put words in her mouth.
Speaker 1: If that's the case, why is half the country supporting him?
Speaker 7: Why is he beating you in a lot of swing stage. If he's supposed to be, it is not supposed to be. Are they stupid?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 7: I would never say that about the American people.
Speaker 6: I will never say that about the American people. I would think it. I'm only human, but I would never say it.
Speaker 4: Never.
Speaker 6: Come on, Brett, that was such an obvious trap. Now, Madam Vice President, just put on this I'm with stupid T shirt and stand next to this map of the United States. So that was Kamala's experience in the lions Den and interview with the news network that openly serves as the propaganda arm of her opponent. But Trump also faced down his biggest fear, Hispanic people. He attended a Univision town hall where one man asked him about January sixth, and if I'm reading that man's facial expression correctly, he was not impressed.
Speaker 2: You know what happened during January sixth, and the fact that you know you wait as so long to take action while your supporters were attacking the capitol.
Speaker 8: These are people that walk down. This was a tiny percentage of the overall which nobody sees and nobody shows. But that was a day of love. From the standpoint of the medians.
Speaker 7: I know that look.
Speaker 6: That's the look that your dad gives you when you've obviously been lying to him. No, Dad, Actually they switched all the grades around, so now F is the highest. Anyway, before you go out to the garage, I don't know where the car is, but that face, that face makes total sense, because what is Trump talking about? January six was a day of love. Sure we all remember January sixth. That was the day when countless rioters found their soulmate. Waity, I read that wrong cellmate. They got the cellmate shellmate. And in fact, the whole audience was one big reaction, gift. Just watch the crowd's reaction as Trump can continues his rambling answer.
Speaker 8: On January sixth, some of those people went down to the Capital. I said, peacefully and patriotically, nothing done wrong at all, nothing done wrong, and action was taken, strong action. Ashley Babbitt was carried, Nobody was cared.
Speaker 6: Yes, this, this is the appropriate reaction to when Trump speaks. I have never felt more seen. I can't believe I had to watch Univision to feel like I had representation on TV. So good, So Kama and Trump spent this week in the lions Den. The question is did it help them to answer that question? We go live now to Grace Coolan Schmidt. Great, what do you wait?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 6: Where are you right now?
Speaker 4: Where am i?
Speaker 1: I'm in a lions den?
Speaker 6: The Oh no, Grace, that was a metaphor. You know, the candidates weren't literally in lions dens?
Speaker 4: Right, Oh? And now I do. Sorry. I didn't realize we were all speaking in.
Speaker 6: Riddles, Grace. They were never going to meet in a real lions den. Why would they do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Honestly, take on.
Speaker 6: My part, okay, but maybe they should.
Speaker 13: Those interviews yesterday taught us nothing new about them. But here in the lions Den, I've already learned so much about myself. Like, for example, I've learned I don't like being.
Speaker 1: In a lions den.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 7: Also, I learned I love black pants.
Speaker 13: I pissed myself and no one knows.
Speaker 6: I mean we all do now, right.
Speaker 13: That's great because interviews are about honesty, you know, I get to the truth. I dot my eyes and I pissed my pants. I also learned that the lions don't care that I'm gay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if they eat.
Speaker 13: Me, it's with full acceptance of who I am.
Speaker 4: In here.
Speaker 6: We're not Republican or Democrat. We're just predator and pray we've.
Speaker 13: Lost sight of that in this country, and that breaks my heart.
Speaker 1: Grace.
Speaker 6: It sounds to me like you just skimmed the email I sent, you went to a lion's den, and are now trying to spin it into something more profound.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right, DESI.
Speaker 13: See, this is the kind of honesty you can only get inside the den.
Speaker 7: So if the candidates.
Speaker 13: Want to prove their worth to the American people, powers them to meet me here with an open.
Speaker 1: Heart and a fresh pair of pants.
Speaker 5: Okay, great? Can we come back, Laverne, I'll be joining us. Go go away.
Speaker 14: I love you all.
Speaker 6: Know I've got great opinions, but I'm not the only one. Studies show that other people also have opinions. So here with another installment of in my opinion is our good friend, Laverne Cock.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much. As you can see, I'm wearing purple. And it's not just because I look great in it. I look great in it right why thank you? Benjace Muglair, Paul Winter, nineteen ninety five. But more importantly, I'm wearing purple and honor Spirit Day, the day we raise awareness and fight against anti LGBTQ bullying. Now, now, when you think of bullying, you probably think it's happening in schools, and you'd be right. But these days the bullying is also happening from people way more immature than teenagers. Politicians to surge and anti LGBTQ legislation across the country, with more than five hundred bills so far this year.
Speaker 6: Eleven states limit instruction around sexual orientation or gender identity in schools.
Speaker 15: Twenty five states far transgender minors under eighteen from having gender affirming care.
Speaker 1: Twenty two states banning trans kids from school sports, and.
Speaker 10: You thought the government couldn't get anything done, Great, we're clobmakers. Thanks for making sure schools don't teach about sexual orientation or gender identity, because pretending trans kids don't exist means they disappear, just like pretending climate change doesn't exist means it disappears too. So I guess we'll never know why my tits are sweating in December. Now, with all these anti trans laws, one would assume it's because the country is overrun with trans kids taking over sports.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: Republicans quh for the ban have been unable to appoint to any evidence of a problem.
Speaker 4: How many girls in Georgia have been denied opportunity because of transgender athletes participating in sports?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so obviously there's not a lot of statistics on that, so.
Speaker 7: There are none in Georgia. Again, I don't have anything.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that, no hard data.
Speaker 10: Okay, that's okay, now, Hunt, I understand. I'm sure that not having anything hard is something you're used to.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 10: These lawmakers claim the purpose of these bills is to protect kids, but the reality is anti trans laws actually lead to more school bullying of trans and queer kids. And that is so disappointing to see, especially from governors like Ron DeSantis.
Speaker 1: The way that man rocks a.
Speaker 10: Pair of high heels, you think he'd be an ally. And as the election gets closer, the Republican Party is going all in on its transphobia. Since the beginning of August, Republicans have spent more than sixty five million dollars on ads focusing on transgender issues in over a dozen states.
Speaker 7: Baldwin supported efforts to allow sex change surgeries for minor children, sex change operations, attempting to make young boys into groups.
Speaker 8: Tester even wanted to let man use girls' bathrooms and locker.
Speaker 12: Rooms, boys and girls' bathrooms, boys in girls' locker rooms, boys in girls'.
Speaker 7: Sports kamalas for they them. President Trump is for you.
Speaker 10: Oh look who finally learned how to use pro now. But seriously, sixty five million dollars on anti trans ads.
Speaker 1: Do you know how disappointing it is to.
Speaker 10: Finally have someone spend sixty five million dollars on me, and it's for this crap.
Speaker 1: I didn't want hateful attack ads.
Speaker 10: I wanted a house in the hills with six walk in closets. But with anti trans messaging playing such a large role in our politics, it's no wonder we're seeing so much anti trans violence and suicide.
Speaker 1: And that's something we do have heard data on.
Speaker 10: I didn't pull that fact from the same place where Republicans get their information www. Dot straight out of their ass dot com. Now this is not too shame ass play.
Speaker 1: We would never do that, never.
Speaker 10: But this is straight out of the bigotry handbook. Using dehumanizing language on marginalized groups provides a permission structure to attack them, because when people are rendered no longer human, you can take away their rights, commit violence against them with impunity. But trans people are people, people with actual thoughts and feelings and maybe a slight online shopping addiction that they're trying to get a handle on.
Speaker 1: But then Prime Day comes along, and what.
Speaker 10: If I need a gazebo even though.
Speaker 1: I live in an apartment.
Speaker 10: Hypothetically speaking, we're just trying to live our lives. We just simply want to be who we are and not experience stigma, violence and discrimination for it.
Speaker 1: And most people understand this.
Speaker 10: But because that it's such a simple and non controversial truth, Republicans have to flood the airwaves with made up fear mongering like this.
Speaker 9: Can you imagine you're a parent and your son leaves the house and you say, Jimmy, I love you so much, go have a good day in school, and your son comes back with a brutal operation.
Speaker 10: Now, girl, you think teachers can convince kids to get gender firm and care teachers can't even convince kids to wear deodorant. And here's the crazy thing, it doesn't even work for their electoral chances. Republicans tried anti trans campaigns in twenty twenty two and they were unsuccessful.
Speaker 1: So why are they doing them again?
Speaker 10: Is it possibly because it's easier than actually solving problems that exist. Yeah, that is the reason, Laverne, You're so smart.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I know.
Speaker 10: Or maybe it's because they truly feel that we're the demons they say we are. But something tells me these Republicans are obsessed with us on a deeper level.
Speaker 15: Mark Robinson apparently was cheering on transgender porn k file reporting on this message board. One of the things he wrote in cover of Years that's effing hot. It takes the man out while leaving the man in. Robinson wrote, and yeah, I'm a pur of two.
Speaker 10: Now, if you had told me that anti trans politicians were secretly watching and loving transporn, I would have said, duh. Now, I'm fifty two years old, and I had a dime for every conservative man who's tried to get with me, I could get that house in the hills.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 10: Some people might think that this means self described pervs like Mark Robinson life trans people, but in reality, turning us into sex objects is just another way of dehumanizing us. And I think it's time to stop dehumanizing and start rehumanizing each other. I'll start Mark Robinson. I don't see you as just another evil bigot who hangs out on Nudeafrica dot com. I see you as a human being with needs and hopes and yes, contradiction like the rest of us, and also the ability to type very astutely with only one hand. We see you, Mark, We see all of you. Specifically, we see all of you on this map. This map shows the top searches for transport are all in red states. Oh yes, that is real data, honey. Oh yes, and sorry to break it to you. I also sorry to break it to you that incognito mode did not work. We see you, we see all of you, and all we ask is that you see us too, and that you pull your damn pants up.
Speaker 14: Go away.
Speaker 5: I guess I visit.
Speaker 14: You're on.
Speaker 5: An entrepreneur who boots on the.
Speaker 6: Para switcher and pivot. Her latest best selling book is called burn Book, a Tech Love Story. Please welcome, Cara Swisher. Give me this, give me up my bars, my book, my book. Now, you gave this to me. It's my book now. Okay, you can hold it, but you have to give it back.
Speaker 4: Spitting image, Yes it is. Yeah, did that happen?
Speaker 7: I gotta tell you.
Speaker 6: I enjoyed this very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Uh it says a tech love story, but it reads like a burn book baby, that's correct. Yeah, very very burning, very searing.
Speaker 4: It is searing.
Speaker 6: One thing that I learned from this is that early on in your career you kind of had these two paths that you could go down. You could cover politics, yeah, which.
Speaker 4: Is where you wanted to be at the Washington Post.
Speaker 6: Right, that was like the sure track path for you, or you could cover tech and you chose to cover this emerging new world.
Speaker 4: I did. I did, and oddly enough, I would have been during the Clinton administration, so I'd have done the blue dress stories, which would have been rivetting as a reporter. Oh, but I like there was something about what was happening. AOL was a company I started covering because it was in the laugh.
Speaker 6: One person in the crowdly oh yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But it was when I went out there and met Steve Case and started meeting the Yahoo people everything else, I realized everything was about to change. And it was pretty easy to see that everything that could be digitized would be digitized. And I was the young person, which is why they gave it to me at the time. No longer, but they were like, give it to the young person, and that's why I got it, and I got riveted immediately. Yeah, you could see they were going to change everything.
Speaker 6: You are the leading expert in this world, in the world, in the world, in the universe.
Speaker 4: Really me, let's go bigger me and space Karen elionsk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh, we'll get to head.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, okay.
Speaker 6: I think most startups would probably say that they get into it because they want to change the world, They want to make exist a better place, they want to help society. But these companies Meta Google, Amazon. Do you think that there's some disillusionment that what they think that they're doing is beneficial.
Speaker 4: Oh, I never thought they thought that. I just think they just said that, along with the fact they'd wear hoodies, but they'd be cashmere hoodies. So they lost six the doubles. So you know, they they say things, but they don't mean them. And one of my first stories for The Wall Street Journal when I got there was things they say and then things they actually mean, like, you know, I'm not the CEO, I'm the chief evangelist, chief Yahoo whatever, but in fact they ran and controlled the companies like they were emperors. And in fact Mark Zuckerberg utterly controls Meta. There's nobody else that can make decisions there. And his favorite hero is Augustus Caesar, which is people don't realize comforting. I know. Yeah. And when I tried to explain to him, since he didn't finish college, that Augustus Seer killed millions of people, he was like, you know, details, He said that details something like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Can we talk about this weird transformation that all these tech bros had because something happens to them over the years. We have some examples here this is there. He is yea Zuckerberg own and then Bezos.
Speaker 4: I remember those pants, he wore them a lot. Yeah, and then the elon when he didn't have hair. Right, that's interesting.
Speaker 6: Saying that one reverse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a nice picture of him. There's some others that aren't.
Speaker 6: What happens is there like a Douche code or something.
Speaker 4: That they well, you know, it's interesting when you get that rich, you can veil yourself to all kinds of say human growth hormone or steroids or whatever. Yeah, and they want to sort of live forever.
Speaker 7: They have.
Speaker 4: My next book is about this actually, the fact that a lot of this live forever stuff has been started by tech people because they want to live forever. You intendue to have their brain. I mean what a lot of people think AI, especially because there's so many men running it, especially white men. It's their way of having children, right that they want to they want to continue themselves through the aill.
Speaker 6: All just ego, just crazy ego.
Speaker 4: Narcissism, ego, delusion, things like that.
Speaker 6: What is your perspective on AI in terms of what is the thing that you're most excited about that you think could be the most benefitial lots.
Speaker 4: Of stuff, lots of stuff. You know. The stuff are on cancer research, gene folding, drug discovery, all kinds of stuff, cut, climate change. It could be really big. The thing I'm most worried about is the people running it is the same small group of people who are the richest people in the world and on their way to being trillionaires. And so these are trillion dollar companies with exactly no regulation on them by our government since it started. There's zero.
Speaker 6: Are you hopeful that there could be some legislation, some kind of regulation. Really not even a little bit.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: And it's interesting because a lot of people think there is. I was just done this panel with a Trump guy and I said, how many laws do you think govern the Internet the way pharmaceuticals or airlines or whatever? And he goes hundreds and I go zero. But you were close. There are zero. And the money they bring to bear is so massive that things don't get past. And then it gets sucked up into the First Amendment arguments of which are false arguments about privacy and your data that is yours, but it gets sucked up into I should be able to say whatever I want, and except it's the free speech they want versus you want, and that's the difference. And so they use free speech as a cudgel, and you know, they use it to protect them from crimes or damage or anything else they do. And they don't want to take responsibility, which is why their businesses are so good. They aren't paying the price that the rest of us pay when we do when we hit a car, our insurance goes up, et cetera. There's they have a thing called Section two thirty that gives them broad immunity, very similar to what Trump has now from the Supreme Court. But they can do anything. They can walk down they can't walk down fifth Amnune shoot people. But it's akin to that. They can't be sued, there's no legislation, and they're the richest people on earth. How do we imagine that's going to turn out?
Speaker 6: What can be done about that?
Speaker 5: Yet?
Speaker 6: But you know, I want to move with that.
Speaker 4: I would say iPhone sixteen rocks, but go ahead, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well so yeah, it's all worth it for the yea for the sixteen. Is there anything that can be done about that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: Getting money out of politics And the thing is they've now moved into politics, as you've noticed, I don't know if you noticed Elon jumping all over the stage, but they've realized how cheap politicians are to buy, because politicians are cheap woors, that's what okay, are you serious? I mean it cost it costs Peter Teale thirty million dollars to get Jade Vance as senator. And you know, I always love Rachel Maddow's expression which he calls jd Vance Peter Teal's failed intern tech intern, which I think is fair fair.
Speaker 6: What is this romance between Donald Trump and Elon Musk? Are you you say you think it's gonna crumble and feel miser.
Speaker 4: There can be only one attention? Whose speaking of horse? But I do think that that even when he was jumping around the stage, did you notice Donald Trump, like, hm, yes, sucking up my oxygen? He didn't love it. He didn't love it, and they didn't like each other before Trump attacked him relentlessly. I have so many texts was attacking Trump very similar to jd Vance. Didn't like him, thought he was an idiot, called him an oaf and things like that, and then suddenly he realized whatever happened to him and has a mix of uh, you know, COVID issues around his family. The Journal's written about his ketamine use and everything else, and so this combined into this, he sort of soured the way the internet did, the way Twitter did. But now he sees how easy he can manipulate Donald Trump, because it's not very hard, and especially you just seventy five dollars is very attractive to someone like Donald Trump.
Speaker 6: Of course, I have one final sure question for you, as the tech esque expert in the entire universe universe, what happens if I don't accept the cookies.
Speaker 4: We're way past cookies.
Speaker 6: Now you're one sweet cookie measure everybody. We're gonna take a quick.
Speaker 5: Break, so it'll be right back after this.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 12: That's the question to you, very respectfully, is do you really believe that these people are eating the people's pets?
Speaker 1: Thank you well, thank you very much.
Speaker 8: This was just reported. I was I was just saying what was reported that's been reported. Uh, and eating other things too that they're not supposed to be. But this is all I do is report.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 7: Plus Paramount Podcasts