Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Let's just you. I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast, want to leven productions. iHeartRadio, iHeart media, iHeart podcasts. I am joined by my full intrepid crew was less intrepid last week. Now we've got an addition special appearances by Danielle Romo and Tara sud and our stalwarts Suzanne French and Amy Sugarman.
Speaker 2: And as everybody is here, I.
Speaker 1: Am kayak hear me roar Seeing seven, Episode fifteen, and let's discuss it briefly here before we synopsize. What did everybody think? Amy? What did you think of this?
Speaker 2: Like parts and I don't like parts? Yeah? Was that how anyone else feels?
Speaker 1: I roared in the beginning. I thought there was some highlights and high humor and then long stretches of not very funny at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I found it as a whole. It was kind of like a nothing Burger episode for me. Like it ended and I was like, all right.
Speaker 4: Well I kind of liked it. I kind of liked it, although, but I ended the episode being like, paused, did I miss something I need to rewatch this.
Speaker 2: I'm so confused. Why did it end this way controversial? Ending? Agree? And I liked, though, we'll break it down. But my pet peeve with it? Oh should I say it now? I guess I will. My pet peeve with it is Richard and Emily.
Speaker 1: I thought Emily was shrill in this episode, and she's never shrill. Yeah, and I thought, I don't I don't like seeing Emily back on her heels and kind of so out of sorts. And she acts it beautifully, but it didn't provide any real for me anyway, comedic moments between her and Laura, and we saw her, Laura and Emily together for a lot of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had one really good scene. But then I agree with you, Scott.
Speaker 1: There was some funny little stuff in the beginning of that whole arc, right, but then it just got kind of tedious with the drinking and the confessional. But it didn't have any humors. It didn't have any impact for me anyway.
Speaker 2: For I just don't think she was going to be like she's probably look I feel like she should have been so happy that Richard survived, that she wouldn't be as irritated by him and also, she has so much help and they're so awful to the help.
Speaker 1: Right, it was hard to watch.
Speaker 2: It was uncomfortable to watch a little cringey Richard.
Speaker 1: What is happening here?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Richard was a toddler in this episode, Like he was just so bratty. I didn't understand, Like, I get that he has to make some lifestyle changes and eat different food, but he was just being such a brat about the whole thing. I don't really blame Emily for being the way.
Speaker 2: She was, because she was probably super what if it didn't track for me?
Speaker 3: The only reason this is a really specific but as someone who was just recentably injured, there were days where I was just like in such a bad mood where I was like, maybe that's I kind of put myself in the issues, like well and to the extent.
Speaker 4: Yes, nagging him, yeah, legitimately nagging him. All he wants is spaghetti and steak, like let the man eat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And she she kind of she kind of acts though like, well, there's one point where like Emily, He's like, oh, well he is going to die one day, Like she does say that, but I think the way she's acting is like, oh, he's gonna live forever, so I better give him his fish and soup and salad and whatever it is that they're eating.
Speaker 2: And you can't enjoy life much help? I like me so soup? Like, is it really that bad? Like if I just had a heart attack, I too might not be going for the Rabbi. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you can eat a diet, like a decent diet that's not fish for every single meal. I don't know. It was all, yeah, I can't do a lot of fish.
Speaker 1: Did it make you irritated? Watching two people be so irritated and then irritated with one another. It's not fun.
Speaker 2: It's not funny and irritated.
Speaker 1: I was bored and irritated too, Yeah, but other carts were good. Are we being We are irritated ourselves, aren't we? Are we born? Are we not? Let's not be hypocrites here? I mean, are we boring? And we are irritated a little bit?
Speaker 2: Are a little irritated? I think we should get into.
Speaker 1: It, but we are smiling all right? Who's synopsizing? I can't get back anymore?
Speaker 2: Right after the break. We have to take a break.
Speaker 1: We have to take a break. We're taking a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right after the break, Danielle will start it.
Speaker 1: Off and we'll be back after these words with Danielle Romol. Synopsisations iHeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app. All right, we're back, Danielle. Hit us with it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: It's season seven, Episode fifteen, I Am Kayak hear me Roor. Air date February twenty, two thousand and seven. Lorlai avoids telling Richard and Emily about her breakup with Christopher, but a drunken night with Emily ends with a surprise reaction to her failed marriage. Meanwhile, Richard is grumpy while recovering from his surgery. Rory celebrates Logan's birthday with Mitcham and gets Huntsburger. Plus t J and Liz stay with Luke for a few days and ask Luke about where he stands with Laura. I bus TJ.
Speaker 1: He provided some a couple of big laughs. Lock it up. We'll lock it up, Solder.
Speaker 2: Rich parts that were actually really good in this episode. It's just overall, I was like, all right, Suzanne, what happens first?
Speaker 5: Okay, So we start out with Laurel I knocking on Rory's door, because Rory doesn't know that she and Christopher broke up. So Paris and Doyle are doing yoga in the living room. It was, yeah, it was it was fine. I don't know. I love Paris and Oyle. I think the two of them.
Speaker 6: I feel like any scene with them is great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally, I totally agree. So she tells Mary that she wants to go for a drive and they get in the car.
Speaker 2: I think, can I throw a flag? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Please please do.
Speaker 2: Driving acting. First of all, this you never drive like this. You just all hard road So why do driving actors?
Speaker 1: Because because it's a because it's what's called a process shot, and you're being towed, you're on the back of a flatbed device and you're being towed by uh you know, uh truck.
Speaker 2: It's no to all actors when just it's hard.
Speaker 1: It actually is kind of hard to mimic real driving because it's it's it's so the movements are so small.
Speaker 2: Les more just we know you're driving, we see the car, we see the windows. We got it. I mean, she could even just one arm it like, because this is just so distracting.
Speaker 1: Well, but yeah, it is a jeep. It is a jeep. It's rack and pinion steering. It's not power steering.
Speaker 2: So so that was a challenge for me. But if I let that go, okay, they're in the car, continue well.
Speaker 5: And I did notice that when they ran out of gas and they got out of the car, you could see the shadow of the screen like they were under like a tent or a screen or something, and you could see the shadow of it on the street.
Speaker 2: Two things in Griffith Park.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the most unroad out there.
Speaker 1: The wind was blowing and the fake, fake leaves were blowing by. But it kind of looked.
Speaker 2: Fall like it didn't It looks maybe foolish, but it didn't look like Connecticut. And did you see the weird make snow on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, like we Nothing in California is remotely connecticuty. It was so full of greenery and grass and water and massive trees.
Speaker 2: He literally said, leave the Warner Brothers lot, Jim on the one thirty four exit of Griffith Park and you're good.
Speaker 5: And you know, did you notice you could see the one thirty four in the where they pulled over, and then the leaves blowing in the street, like none of the leaves on the trees were moving. It was just like somebody with a blower off camera.
Speaker 2: That took me out a little bit. I'm not gonna lie, and I don't know why, Like who was like you know.
Speaker 6: What I mean, it's because we've all driven there, like we know where it is. That's why.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I don't know, but this is how we found out that, you know. She tells Rory that they broke up, and Rory says she's not that surprised because she never felt was that right. She kind of changed her tune there a little bit, but I don't know, it was funny, it was okay. I thought I thought it was interesting that that whole thing was the was the opening, like it was the apartment scene and the driving scene. We're both before the credits. It wasn't just one second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lengthy the credits.
Speaker 1: The credits were. They nailed it on the credits. The credits were really good. Great song, great great shots. The credits were.
Speaker 5: So it's so early, like right and Rury's dry showered, She's ready to go.
Speaker 3: It's well, she did make a comment that she gets she got up because Doyle and Paris were up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but she was like ready to go, like she was true.
Speaker 2: Do you know any college students that are like, you know what I'm going to do? Get up at six? Like in college, you're like, I have a ten to thirty class. I'm going to get up at ten twenty two and run. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No matter no matter how drab and opening we have, it's always going to be a great opening because we have the credits and we have that song.
Speaker 2: Right, that's true. That does get you in the mood.
Speaker 1: Gets you in the mood. I mean, that's that's the trick.
Speaker 2: Do you not hit skip?
Speaker 6: Do you let it play every time?
Speaker 1: I watched it this time?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I was too late. I was too late on the skip, and the skip disappeared.
Speaker 3: And it goes away.
Speaker 1: The skipp goes away.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: So then then we go to Emily and Richard's house and we have the whispering housekeeper. Now, does if you're whispering gibberish, does that count as having lines?
Speaker 2: And the thing so that.
Speaker 1: I thought they could have used. I thought they could have ut I thought they were setting us up for some really great stuff with the whispering, because somewhere it felt like there was going to be some payoff with that, and there never was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, other than her hiding Emily looking for her and like looking under the furniture and stuff. That was a little amusing.
Speaker 2: But it's almost little amusing. I have a lot of amusing.
Speaker 5: But I have to compliment the wardrobe in this scene, because all three women were wearing lovely shades of blue. Emily had that nice like kind of peacock colored sweater. I liked the I liked all of their outfits in this scene.
Speaker 2: I still was like, h this is not a home run for me right now.
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't. They're serving non alcoholic drinks. This is where we meet Francette, the nurse, who Emily seems to not understand what a nurse does. It was a little annoying. I don't know if they were just trying to show that, you know, Emily thinks she's so far above everybody else that anyone below her no matter what they do, they're just all the same category to her. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this especially made both Gilmore's look bad. Yes, it was not a good look for either one of them.
Speaker 6: No, agree, whatever a random question.
Speaker 2: I looks good in this episode, Like she's very you know, helping the family. She comes across well, and so does Rory Prankley.
Speaker 1: But like and Laurel, I had like most of the really strong lines. Yeah, I mean she provided a lot of the last.
Speaker 6: I have a random question. I know what Shirley Temple is, but what's a Roy Rogers.
Speaker 2: Hope it's just a grenadine and coke and coke. Yeah, Shirley Temple's grenadine and seven up? Oh Roy Rogers is if you don't want the seven up your coke and grenadine?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I love with the cherry Marashino. So I say Maraschino cherry. Does anybody say Maraschino?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say the same.
Speaker 5: I think that's the best part of the whole drink. I love those as I as a.
Speaker 4: Kid, like your straw and like try to spear it at the bottom of the guy.
Speaker 6: I still get Shirley Temples, but you, Charlie, that's.
Speaker 5: Just a dirty anyway. Okay. Richard comes down in his robe. That was sort of an odd visual thing, like we I don't know if we've ever seen Richard well.
Speaker 2: Maybe once or twice seen him in the bed, but yeah, we saw him in bed. We've seen him at clothes in a while.
Speaker 5: And he's ticked off about golf.
Speaker 2: He's like watching old golf.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought, there's he said, sixty nine?
Speaker 5: Is that what he's well?
Speaker 6: What's he watching on? Like an old tape that they were.
Speaker 1: Going ESPN and the Golf Channel, like old PGA championships and masked old masters. Chance.
Speaker 2: I'm happy that he just doesn't need to be so grouchy and neither is Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is that a thing? Guys do watch old games?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh probably, yeah, maybe some.
Speaker 1: I actually confess to watching old golf matches. I do. I identify with Richard on that.
Speaker 5: Do you whint about fish while you're doing that?
Speaker 1: I love fish.
Speaker 3: I never want him, only if it's not pared right then interrupt you watching?
Speaker 1: She does, yes, but she's not irritated like that.
Speaker 5: So I had a realization.
Speaker 1: I watched golf eat fish and we laugh all day there. It's wonderful.
Speaker 5: So they were talking about the four hundred Corners game Hens and I had I think I messed in the last episode, or maybe the one before when Richard had the heart attack. I had completely forgotten about this party that Emily is planning for Christopher and Laurel. I so that kind of got, you know, pushed to the side because of Richard's heart attack. But now we've circled back to, you know, that wedding party that they had the big fight about, and now it's Emily's circling back to planning for which I had.
Speaker 2: Completely cornish game hens. Do you eat too so? Or is it to assume there were four hundred people going to that party?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Four hundred people. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Were they having the party at the house?
Speaker 2: No, some country, A couple.
Speaker 5: They were at that hotel.
Speaker 2: Who's had a cornish game frequently?
Speaker 1: Cornish game hens are wonderful.
Speaker 5: They like chicken.
Speaker 2: I've never had one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, there's like little chicken.
Speaker 1: They're like a pound and a half. Maybe they're all smaller than yourself. I wouldn't say that. I mean if you're if you're hungry, yeah, which is let's talk about twenty four ounces of steak that ror ate at dinner. No, sorry, nobody's eating like, sorry, that's a pound and a half of meat. She just consumed. No, she did not.
Speaker 5: And when when Richard asked Laurlai if Christopher was coming, Emily had a look on her face.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys know, you know, there's trouble in Paradise, all right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that was that was significant.
Speaker 1: I didn't really feel like any of this was set up that well where anybody would care that much or be that surprised anyway, So why drag it out right, Because it's not a focal point of the show. I mean it's it's definitely part of the show, but it's to base an episode around, and to think that the fans are so invested in this whole relationship anyways.
Speaker 4: We have been cringe since a lot would argue before, but definitely since Paris.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, So it's there was a good.
Speaker 5: There was a good joke in there when well I thought it was good when Rory was telling Lorelai she has to tell Emily that they broke up because otherwise Emily is going to kill four hundred corners game hands, probably with her bare hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as an attempted humor.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, there was also a Shakespeare joke in there about Richard.
Speaker 1: Oh that was good. That was the Richard the third with the golf. That was really good. The way she hunched over It's like, that's really good.
Speaker 5: So that there was a little bright light in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was like, finally a laugh I can laugh now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, and Emily's talking listing all the different fishy fish that was that got old.
Speaker 1: I can so agree. It was just dragging. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: I was sort of like, is something wrong with me? But I'm so happy.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's like he's cut back to laurel Ie so she can be funny, give me.
Speaker 2: More Logan in the birthday thing, I was just like, this is.
Speaker 1: See, that's another thing. Anyway, we'll get to it.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we can get there right now, because the next scene is at Logan's apartment, where Rory has made him breakfast in bed. Please.
Speaker 2: Logan with all his money loves a studio.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, mikasing to living in New York though.
Speaker 2: You think he's got separate rooms, but no, everything in the same room.
Speaker 5: When she decorated there there they were in like a living room kind of room, so I think it was all just a big flat like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I assumed.
Speaker 6: I assumed it was the others like another angle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's all the same room.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing though about the studio, I'm like, you're spending all this money on you know your.
Speaker 2: Company at Yale. At Yale, he had the same thing. He just loves a big loft, a big yeah, yeah great, it screams same set designer to me.
Speaker 4: Not enough in the studio and this is all the space we have in our sound stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah whatever, cool apartment. I like his place.
Speaker 5: Did you did you notice next to the window that was very early two thousand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I saw that that soldier what do you call that ten suit?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, coat of arms?
Speaker 2: Thank you he was that was from his other apartment. Yeah, he took that.
Speaker 5: I had a red flag on Rory's voice. She was like really she had that baby voice. The people I noticed.
Speaker 6: I noticed that.
Speaker 2: I noticed that it's in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was weird. And she's I don't.
Speaker 2: Know something about her cinnamon to those look yummy covered in the frosting.
Speaker 5: They did look good. And he's inching off the little, tiny, tiniest possible piece.
Speaker 2: Of crumbs like day like sorry, uh Christopher eating that muffin. David suggy like can you take a bite, dude, just take a bye, like.
Speaker 6: Uh, frosting's messy though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did pretty good with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah it looked goodyeral, but so then we found out Hunsburgers didn't really celebrate birthdays, and she said, you didn't have parties and he said, well, not with kid that I knew. And it made me think of that party that Emily threw for Rory, all the high school kids that Rory didn't know any of them, So my brain connected those dots. But then we also find out Logan closed his big deal that he's been working on and it's gonna there was a press release sent to the Wall Street Journal, So there's a move the plot forward a little bit there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then Emily calls Laurel I freaking out about the pharmacy. I took that a little personally. No, I didn't really, that's how far the are. And then the okay, this is where Emily again with treating the nurse like the maid. I can't tell the difference between them whatever. And then they're always being helpful. She says she'll go pick up Richard's meds. And then I did like the scene after Emily hung up on her and Laurel I said Richard Christopher, Ye, why that was?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: Actually was funny. That made me giggle too. I don't have any real criticism of Lauren Graham in this episode.
Speaker 1: No right, yeah, yeah, she was nailing everything.
Speaker 2: Get her star on the Walk of Fame. Everybody, did you see that she is? She's in the what is it the twenty twenty five class or whatever where.
Speaker 1: I'm really really, really really happy for her because the year after year she was snubbed right by Emmy's by I think she was nominated for a Golden Globe though, right, wasn't she probably or something? I mean also, in seven years, all those awards shows have an opportunity to nominate her for her work and maybe one or two noums and no wins. It's it's absurd, So very happy, so very happy for her that that she's getting a star on the Walk of Fame because it's much deserved and over and long overdue.
Speaker 2: By the way, totally totally yeah, I agree.
Speaker 5: So then we go to Luke Steiner. Now this scene was a shining star for me. I loved this entire scene with Babbett and Miss Patty talking about talking and and.
Speaker 6: The hen.
Speaker 5: Very the rooster and then Kirk thinks it's all literal. That was very good, classic stars hollow for me, it needs to be with the.
Speaker 2: That was good. That was good to use them again and like that was good.
Speaker 5: And then listen TJ come barging in with every single piece of baby equipment known to man.
Speaker 3: It's so funny when that happened. For some reason, We're like, are they dropping off the baby again?
Speaker 2: Do you remember when they just barged?
Speaker 6: I was like, are we repeating this? But that wasn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Mom, Yeah, I cringed a lot of the things that TJ and oh my Liz Lizen TJ were doing a lot of cringe, like putting the car seat in a snowsuit, like.
Speaker 2: A snow suit.
Speaker 4: It's just a lot of bad stuff. I'm like, oh man, the safety of this child is not.
Speaker 1: What are the chances gonna make it? Baby is not gonna make it.
Speaker 2: No, this baby was legit.
Speaker 4: It blinked.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't believe how how realistic.
Speaker 2: These rubber babies. The rubber baby. Do you guys remember when Luke's like, hi, doulah, that funny.
Speaker 4: It was just funny. It's so matter of fact instead of laughing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was good. The TJ had a funny line in there. It was kind of risque about how moths are just loser butterflies.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Anyways, I won't finish the line because it's a.
Speaker 1: Little no no, but that that what the finish it. It's okay, you it was, you're safe here.
Speaker 5: I don't have the right if they couldn't get lad if they had one hundred dollars bill tied to there and then he got cut off. So that bit.
Speaker 1: Of getting that's what That's what I love about this show because it's it's actually an edgy show. They just don't go all the way. Yeah, I suggest it, which is brilliant, brilliant, Like.
Speaker 2: The bit of getting them to move in with Luke for a minute because it brings them together. Yeah, some pretty good scenes and the talking about him at night like that actually was clever and really good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It was. It was a big build up though, just for the payoff of seeing Luke thinking about Lorelei again, like it was a big setup.
Speaker 1: You know, here's a little behind the scenes. They weren't They weren't actually in the room doing the dialogue on my close up of that show when I shot that later part of it. Yeah, that was after the fact, and the dialogue was being read to me by I think George Bell. Our scripts are are are not. He's not the script supervisor. He's the dialogue dialogue coach. Yeah, and a good actor, a fine actor in his own right, so he he was doing both sides of that sort.
Speaker 3: I've always wondered that, is that what usually happens on sets when there's okay yeah, so when someone.
Speaker 1: Say something like that, yeah, where it's like.
Speaker 2: You have to react.
Speaker 1: But the thing is they can schedule that my shot at any time that really works for them scheduling wise, So it's often not when the other two actors are working.
Speaker 2: Because also they are guest actors. Would they only maybe come for a couple of days and you're there all week?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they want to shoot all their scenes the same day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 5: Interesting, that's cool, very yeah, And that's how they do it, Like with telephone calls, right where there's it's coming back and forth between two people on the phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're rarely talking to the other actor or even hearing the other actor because they're not there that day. They're not working that day. So it's so it's always like a scripty is doing it, script supervisor, dialogue coach is doing it, or another you know, somebody's doing it but it ain't but it ain't. Yeah, interesting, interesting.
Speaker 5: Very cool. Okay, So then we go back to Emily and Richards and we're gonna yell about the boots some more. I did notice that the candles weren't hard.
Speaker 2: I don't like I could have.
Speaker 3: Just cut out yeah, yeah, like what's so bad about soup?
Speaker 2: And yeah, and then it's prepared by a five starship.
Speaker 5: And he suggests a sandwich and Richard loses his mind. Right, okay, so dinner's dinner is not good. The candles weren't lit in this one, which I thought was interesting because Emily is usually so like everything has to be exactly perfect the.
Speaker 6: Time script.
Speaker 1: Somebody, somebody.
Speaker 2: And then they were busy lighting over at Logan's studio to make sure that birthday.
Speaker 1: Decorations, well, they ran out of candles because of the dinner scene with mister Huntspurd, that's true.
Speaker 5: They were busy assembling the suit of armor, I guess. So Richard's yelling at the chef, and Laurel I shows up with Richard's medication and tries to calm Emily down. And then we have Suki showing up too with you know healthy food for richards, so that that seems just a hot mess.
Speaker 1: It's just so many people getting pissed off all the time.
Speaker 5: Everybody was pussy, everybody was yelling.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm watching a serials not to do unsolicited plug but I'm watching a series now on Netflix called Call My Agent, and it's a French show. It's a comedy and there's a lot of people flipping out all the time. But it's so funny because it's all set up so beautifully and it's so interconnected. It's not like ambling and kind of out of the blue.
Speaker 3: And another show that's like that right now is The Bear. Like I feel like sometimes stressed out watching that show. But I agree, but I agree like this just felt like unnecessary when other shows I think it works.
Speaker 1: But I think the difference is that that single camera comedies are different from Gilmour because it was a dramedy, right it what, So it's just that it's Watch Call My Agent. Watch watch a couple of episodes in the first season. You'll see what I mean. These people are stressed out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the show can really make you feel agivate where you're.
Speaker 1: Like no, but this show doesn't because they know how to let you release it, because they it's all always the right tone. You buy into, you buy into the way. It's like, it's almost like seasons. Part of Season seven is we've for six seasons, we've bought into this world. We know it's funny. We've defined everything, the parameters of this world, how things are set up and how they're paid off. But Season seven doesn't seem to be following those rules at times. And I think this is one of those times.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, it's got too much, too much irritant, not enough release, right.
Speaker 1: It's just not how we want to see the Gilmour's not in that situation. I mean, it's already a serious enough situation with recovering from what triple bypass surgery, right, so lighten it up, make it fun and make it funny. You know.
Speaker 5: Well, this scene, for me, basically it was just like a carbon copy of the scene we already saw at dinner twice. You know, It's like, well, sometimes less is more, So I didn't I didn't really need that scene. While Laura I is still in the kitchen at Emily's, Rory calls her and starts asking about all of her birthday parties, and then we get that was kind of cute like that Laura I has planned for Rari over the years, and I thought, oh, that's cute, Like I didn't do stuff like that. He was cute and we always the easy way out on parties. But Emily I had the list of it all.
Speaker 2: I won't wore everybody, but I had the list of it all somewhere of all the different things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a space party and yeah, so Emily I can't keep their names straight. Rory is, you know, feeling bad that Logan didn't have these experiences in his own childhood, so she's trying to create one giant birthday party with all of these experiences.
Speaker 2: It was cute, are painful. I'll get to that when we get to that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then Logan calls and drops the bomb that they're going out to dinner with his dad for his birthday. All right, So then we see Liz making her jewelry. Wasn't that attractive?
Speaker 2: Fishing line?
Speaker 5: Fishing line and the feathers, and then I thought it was cute. TJ wearing the baby. I thought that was adorable. And then so this is where they start talking about Laura I.
Speaker 1: And Liz the biggest laugh of the show.
Speaker 5: Oh, TJ.
Speaker 1: I mean I already did it. I'm not gonna do but it's like, thank god for TJ. I mean, just the facial expressions that the delivery yeah, so good.
Speaker 2: Be redundant, but I do like them all in their scene together. Yeah, it's enjoyable.
Speaker 5: It was. It was good, like brother sister banter between Luke and like, aren't you going to call her? No, I'm not going to call her, and then TJ like, don't get back together with her.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 5: I just I didn't have any any issues.
Speaker 4: And I love that, Like TJ is so protective of Luke weirdly, you know, he's kind of just being like, no, you don't need it, you don't need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 4: I liked that.
Speaker 6: This is kind of random, but.
Speaker 4: They've come a long way.
Speaker 2: They have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, since TJ called him a dick.
Speaker 2: This is kind of random.
Speaker 3: But I'm rewatching the Resident, which is obviously logan but yeah, Matt Zuker. But I didn't know until I was rewatching it that Missus, Kim and Liz our guests make guest appearances on the show.
Speaker 5: Too.
Speaker 2: I watched every episode.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I've watched it too, but it's been so long that I was like, I have forgot there on the show. So I was like, oh, I like the Gilmore crossing.
Speaker 2: As I just remember so much from Er.
Speaker 5: There was a Yes, that's where I knew her from first.
Speaker 2: So when I saw her in Guilty, was like Anthony edward sister I think or something? Was she Anthony Edward's sister on it? She had a drug problem, she was Susan Soon she was Sherry Stringfields. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but going back resident for a minute, I haven't watched it, but i've seen it posted. There was there was an actual Gilmore callback in that show. There was a photograph of a T shirt or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did on Supernatural. They did that on Supernatural too, Scott, did you know that there's a scene I think Jared and uh, oh my god, don't say it acles Jensen Ackles are driving somehow on the lot in a tour. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Jared, I just texted him today his show got canceled.
Speaker 2: I felt he forgot about it. He spoke out.
Speaker 1: I did. He wasn't thrilled. Yeah, no, what he's his best work is in front of him. It's going to be exciting to see what he goes on to do. You know, he's still young. He's still like in his twenties, or he's like twenties, he's but he's such a still looks so young. It's so crazy. I'm looking up how in twenty four years I met him when he was eighteen.
Speaker 6: He forty one.
Speaker 2: Jensen about the same.
Speaker 4: I just a beautiful forty one year old.
Speaker 1: He's a good man, good man.
Speaker 4: Jensen is forty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew Jensen was close to my age.
Speaker 5: So we go to the restaurant where Rory and Logan are having and Mitcham are having dinner. And I liked Rory in the scene. I thought she did a good job because Mitcham all of a sudden, is very complimentary, and so she's kind of like, rest what is your deal? And she I guess, actually, technically that's the next restaurant scene. But this is this scene is where she mentions the rest and fellowship, So that is.
Speaker 2: Going to be right right important note Rory applies for the James Reston Journalism Fellowship. That will be importantly to yes.
Speaker 5: So they do a little toast it was kind of cute and then irritating.
Speaker 2: This was not irritating, you know what I mean, Like I found them to be fine, and even though like Mitcham was full of bloney, it was I did not mind this not irritating.
Speaker 4: But but I was very much like, Okay, what's what's the deal? What's you know.
Speaker 1: What's the right? You know, something's up with like why is he being so nice? Right?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: But he's just he just owns that role so much. It's so fun to watch him.
Speaker 2: I could have used more of that dinner and less of the dinner at the game.
Speaker 3: So yeah, a little bit more of like Logan's birthday at the apartment something like.
Speaker 1: Right, And I think I think the bar has been set so high on Friday night dinners that when it doesn't come through, it's just all the more disappointing.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, yes, yes, because you think back of that scene that uh Kenny or Tega directed with the camera going around, and you're like, this is the best thing ever happened on the show, and then this one, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I mean, you could do a highlight reel. You could do a twenty hour highlight reel just on Friday night dinners. Ye yeah, yeah, and your stomach would hurt bad food. But I'm just saying from the last you know, right right.
Speaker 5: So then we go back to Emily and Richardson. Thankfully we are not at the dinner table, but Lorla is helping Emily with the business stuff, so there was good. This guy was a good string or good Yeah. Yeah, Emily like reaches behind the books and pulls out the alcohy some nuts or something. I think, yeah, Scena similar.
Speaker 1: Sorry this didn't improve things for me at all.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I actually thought this was quite enjoyable them kind of getting drunk and then bonding and really having.
Speaker 4: To a new analogy.
Speaker 1: See that's what I like. I like the canoe and the kayak thing.
Speaker 5: And then it was all this sought it was coming up, that wasn't There's like a couple of these scenes right clicking the whole thing. Yeah, so I thought it was cute, like Laurlay was teaching her how to do the computer stuff. I thought it was.
Speaker 2: And then the Emily understands like Richard learned that Laura is super successful and runs a big business and.
Speaker 1: He showed her love and respect. You know.
Speaker 4: It was importantly independent, you know, and that's not anything that Allie has.
Speaker 2: Also, Laura is like an n b A, right, she went, did she go? What did she?
Speaker 5: She has?
Speaker 2: Just college? Okay? Sorry, yeah, so that was just her finishing college right, right.
Speaker 5: So the first the first time we see them in Richard's study is where Laurel I says that she and Christopher split up. Like she she drinks the vodka and you can see her, like she gets her courage up and she just blurts it out. And it was funny when Emily said I don't know what to say, and Laurel I said that's great, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, learning that Richard and Emily own windmills out by Palm Springs because I know what those windmills? You know, you're almost there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And then uh, then we go back to the restaurant and Logan gets a call from Hong Kong because you know, he's a big businessman now. And this is when Mitcham compliments Rory and and basically attributes logan and success to Rory's influence. And she called him out on it, which I like, She's like, you know, you told me I didn't have it, And he's like, oh, you know, I was wrong, things change, whatever, but.
Speaker 1: That's what he was. But he wasn't talking about journalism. He was talking about.
Speaker 4: With Logan, relation to the family.
Speaker 1: His son and his ultimately his family. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I proud that she said that to him and didn't and he.
Speaker 2: Didn't have to make it like a little like she did before.
Speaker 4: Oh do we think that Rory understood what he was saying, because part of me made me think that in this scene she thought that he was changing his viewpoint on her. But I took it as he was saying, well, now that I'm kind of forced.
Speaker 2: I think she got it. I think I think so what do you think she gets that? He does think she's good for Logan. He's not lying about that. He does think she's good for Logan, Yes, but he doesn't still respect her as like a journalist person.
Speaker 4: Because him saying, oh, you circumstances right, his wife is good for him.
Speaker 2: He wants Rory to guide Logan, right.
Speaker 1: So as long as she's in that traditional yeah, female role subservient to the man with her, I don't I.
Speaker 2: Didn't get it as subservient. I'm getting it as you have power and influence over my son. So I'm going to exert power and influence over you, so you will tell him to do what I want him to do.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they'll set her up manipulative where she wants to be. I don't think he was expecting her to not work and to just be the society.
Speaker 2: But Scott's right when he said the word manipulative. Mitcham is manipulating the situation. And now he knows this woman can control my son, so I'm going to tell her what I want.
Speaker 1: It's like, it's like mister Huntsberger is operating on a completely different level, not on a really an emotional level as what's really good for his son. In terms of his relationship with with Rory. Yeah, it's this is good for my son's business. It's good for my business. Yeah, And so ultimately, I'm going to continue to use you, Rory, and manipulate you. And here's any job you want at any newspaper, which is just like a massive insult. Right doesn't care about like he values her in a way that is entirely under his control.
Speaker 4: The cheers to the same page, maybe want to vomit. I'm like, oh, like you knew what he was doing.
Speaker 5: I mean his his interactions with Logan have always been about the business and about Logan, you know, growing up and being a man. And you know not it's never been It was Shira and the grandfather that care about who Logan partners up with. Mitcham never cared about that. He's always been about the business. Not so much like Amy you just said. He doesn't care about Logan's happiness. He just he just wants Logan to be a businessman and you know, represent the family in the business.
Speaker 2: Danielle, give your flag and then I'll read the line.
Speaker 4: My little flag is I do think he kind of does care about who he's with, because wasn't it wasn't it Mitcham that told Richard like, well, the Gilmore's are here and the hunts Burghers are here, Like, wasn't that his thing?
Speaker 2: Jo?
Speaker 5: That was Shira that?
Speaker 2: No, it was also Mitcham in the bathroom. It was a little bit of Mitcham in the bathroom. But the line that Mitcham says is you've been a real asset to Logan and our family. So what he learned is over the course of their relationship that she is guiding him in a good way. And now they Mitcham sees that, so he's glomming onto Rory even though he didn't give two hoops about her earlier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was shere's the one that said something like there's our money and then there's your money. That was at that Da R event.
Speaker 2: And then when Richard and Mitcham had the fight in the bathroom, it got kind of yeah, h yeah, Mitcham's an ass, but he's still an ass. He just knows that Rory is good for Logan anyway.
Speaker 5: Right, right, So then we go we have that scene we touched on it in the in Luke's apartment where they're they're all in bed. Luke is lying there awake and he's listening to TJ and Liz kind of you know, whisper whisper about him. And then good scene. Okay, so now this now we get to the scene, the kayak scene, so Lorlin Emily, they've they've put down a few and they're still trying to figure out how to use the computer. And this is a scene where I'm reaches behind the books and pulls out this random bowl of nuts. I like, just I don't know, really, she just keeps him back there and I really liked the canoe kayak analogy. I thought that was that was pretty spot on, and personally, I love finally, like we started to talk about I loved Emily finally acknowledging that, you know, maybe Lauralai's path that she chose is okay, and it's okay that she didn't pick Emily's lifestyle and she seemed maybe a little jealous.
Speaker 2: That so painful and she changes her tune at the end. It's so pained that.
Speaker 3: That's what I think is Danielle, Is that what you were talking about where you felt like you missed the part?
Speaker 4: Yeah and yeah. And also it's because it was such a like when Lorelai told her that she broke up with Christopher, it was very much like, oh, okay, we're lost in over it and Emily bringing it back up with a little bit of disdain for it. But then I'm like, I can't I feel like she played it super well because you can't tell what she's really thinking.
Speaker 1: Is she upset or.
Speaker 4: Is she kind of just being like, we're doing this, We're doing this right, We're canceling this. Like I couldn't figure out what she was actually trying to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then we go back to Logan's apartment and we see that Rory's got the whole apartment decorated for every birthday from zero to twenty five, and Logan is very excited to see it. And this is where they have the conversation about what happened to dinner, and Logan says, you got hutsburgered, And it reminded me of that scene with Luke and Emily where Laurel I tells him you got gilboard.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And this is when we find out that the whole business thing has collapsed, Like I didn't pass so whatever.
Speaker 2: This was so brutal because you find that out Rory's got this whole plan, and I actually felt for Logan because he's baking it with her. Yes, okay, let's go.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, you know, that's that's very well, that's well researched. Because the thing that you find in Silicon Valley and big tech and medium tech and small tech is the big guys and everybody is always stealing from the small innovative companies. It's always a patent infringement lawsuit. They always wait for a big guy to profit huge from the their theft from your company. So that you can see the crap out of them. And so it was. It was. It was a very very believable outcome. Tragic for Yeah, yeah, Logan.
Speaker 3: I also felt bad the guy called him on his birthday and then the call with happy birthday, and I was like, dude.
Speaker 5: Like really yeah, like poor Yeah, But the fact.
Speaker 4: That Logan was just gonna carry on, I don't know, I feel like most people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because if roles were reversed, it was rory. She wouldn't she would have been upset the.
Speaker 1: Rest of the night. Well, she would said something I did.
Speaker 5: I did have a red flag that they were going to go ice skating in Central Park. It's like ten o'clock at night.
Speaker 2: It's a little late.
Speaker 4: They haven't been late in Central Park at two am.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, uh.
Speaker 4: Late, have been on Central Park ice skating two am?
Speaker 6: And the Rockefeller goes until like midnight, right, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay. So then very quick scene in Luke's apartment, Lizen TJ. You're cleaning up a big mess, and we find out that the moths are gone. They've served their purpose in the plot, and now they can go back to their own apartment.
Speaker 6: That made me feel like there were no moths.
Speaker 4: They just they just wanted a vacation.
Speaker 5: But we get the to the two second shot of Luke looking at the phone, so you know he's thinking because Liz had been telling him to call Laura.
Speaker 2: I So we kind of see those Yeah, that was very cute.
Speaker 5: And then back to Emily and Richards. Now it's the next morning and this is this was where you know Emily's true colors.
Speaker 2: I did not like this.
Speaker 5: Come back again, Like we had that nice moment when they're all liquored up, and now that she's sober again, she's back to back to Emily.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if it was mean though, I.
Speaker 1: Don't hung over. She's just hung over, you know, and now she's taking what her life has become. I didn't think she was being mean.
Speaker 5: I thought she was just being Yeah, she was a little snotty, well a lot snotty. I don't know. It's like you feel like they had made some progress, and then the next morning you're like, oh, okay, maybe they didn't really make any progress.
Speaker 4: Let's bring this maybe back.
Speaker 2: Yeah took me back to not liking the episode. All right, so like what are.
Speaker 1: We uh, what are we going to rate it? Uhara, what do you think? What do you what's your measuring stick.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it.
Speaker 6: It wasn't bad.
Speaker 3: It just wasn't my favorite. I'm gonna give it seven moths.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say, sorry, Dantelle, what rice moths?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 4: Yeahell eight point one five Rogers.
Speaker 1: Well you liked it is on.
Speaker 2: I liked this episode.
Speaker 5: I'm going to give it eight point five Random bowls of Nuts from Behind the.
Speaker 1: Books eight five?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I liked the episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh seven pin the tail on the donkeys? I think there was a pin the tail on the donkey in there on the moose on the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'm gonna I think I'm on the low end with Tara with the seven. Uh classic PGA nineteen eighty six, that's funny. Golfree runs honey, and we all know what the favorite. Everybody's favorite line is the same. It was TJ's lock it up, Luke, lock it up? Yeah, Solder it shut, there's no and the Richard the third line from Laurele I, you know, mocking golfers.
Speaker 5: I had a different favorite TJ line when they were leaving and he told Luke, your cosa is my casa.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, oh yes, anyway, that's going to wrap it up. Kids. Thank you, ladies, TaRaSu, Daniel Romo, Susan French, Amy Sugarman. Another rollicking episode. Thank you for your cards, letters and downloads. We love you, we need you, we miss you, and remember we and I am all In, Stay saber, Hey everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com