Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Good morning, If you're watching on Peacock that's our streaming partner, or you're listening on our great radio affiliates around the country. Pole question for the final hour of the program, if you can't seat, and we will play Phil in the blank. Let's see that.
Speaker 3: Right now, we've got the best quarterback name ever. Johnny Utah right now is thirty seven percent of that vote.
Speaker 2: Last place is Jackson Dart. Okay, what's that all about. Well, it's the new guy. Maybe people aren't aware.
Speaker 1: Of him, hasn't earned it yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was at USC. He goes to old Miss mel Kiper now has him the tenth overall pick by the Saints. He also has Shadoor Sanders going to the Giants at three. So when people say, you know, is he going to go ahead of Shador Sanders, mel says, Shadoor Sanders is going to go three to the Giants. Once again, we got a lot of time before the draft. We got a month before the draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you take that whole thing with Shadur wearing the Giants. Did he have a Giants cleeton? I think it was man wouldn't that be something if he ended up going to the Giants.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he's always thought that he was going to the Giants. I think he made reference to Malik Neighbors. I think that there's been subtle or nuanced messages about going to the Giants, that Hey, I'm going there and I'm going to turn that team around, just like I did Colorado and Jackson State. I think that's the feeling. Can't wait. He's got Molik Neighbors there, not afraid of the New York spotlight, and he'll be ready to go. Is it the right place for him? Is it the right quarterback for him? You have a coaching staff coaching for their jobs this year. Are you going to have Shador Sanders play right away? What's Russell Wilson? Do you know there? It is interesting, you know, cam Ward, if he goes one the Giants, I thought we're going to try to go up to one, but it's just too expensive. Schador is there, they can take him. Do they still bring in Russell Wilson for a year. Any chance that Russ goes to Cleveland, Any chance that Russ goes back to Pittsburgh. You know, we just had Bill kwer On. He said, Look, I haven't talked to anybody in the building, which I think he probably has, but you know, in fairness to relationships there he not quite sure. But you're waiting for Aaron Rodgers. I don't know what Aaron Rodgers is waiting for, and I know I don't think he's doing his interviews with McAfee in the off season. But what is he waiting for? That's what I would be cured. That'd be the one question I would ask Aaron what are you waiting for now? Is it could be money, which I don't know if that would be an obstacle for Aaron Rodgers. Do you want to play with the Vikings? Yes, doesn't matter what you're going to pay me, but yes, do I want to play for the Steelers? I don't know. I really want to play for the Vikings. I don't know if I want to play for the Steelers. But if I'm Pittsburgh, I can't be held hostage. Aaron Rodgers is gonna maybe make us a little bit better in one year, and then we're right back in this again the following year. Do you want to keep Aaron Rodgers for two years? They never should have let Justin Fields go. I know he's not polished, but it felt like you can grow with him. And I still think that he can be a starting quarterback. I do, Well, he's going to be with the Jets. You shouldn't have let him out of the building. But if you hesitate, you go, Well, we don't know if we want to keep him. Hey, Aaron Rodgers possibility, Well, if you're Justin Fields, he not waiting. He's going, I'm gonna take the Jets offer. I'm not going to wait, and I don't blame him. Now, are you going to win more games with the Steelers than the Jets? Yes, but he might be able to have this second career or would it be his third career. They had the Bears, and they had the Steelers and now you have the Jets. But I think that there's the potential to grow with the new coaching staff. Yeah, Paulin.
Speaker 4: There's been a few reports out there that Justin Fields was offered a just a little bit lesser contract by the Steelers. If you're trying to restart your career, would you take just a touch more money with the Jets or stay with a safe franchise like the Steelers? No one's really questioned that yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's only a two year deal, so they didn't really sign you up long term.
Speaker 4: But if you're trying to restart your career, they were going to maybe give him the reins to the franchise for one year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the Jets I got some new coaching staff and granted it's the Jets, but he may have said, look, do you want me? How badly do you want me? We're not sure if we want you, so he I think they gave him an offer that he could refuse because they're still waiting for Aaron Rodgers. But we're all waiting for Aaron Rodgers. Recapping the day, so Bill Kuer always great to talk to him. The first four, it'll be Saint Francis Pennsylvania, Alabama State, North Carolina, San Diego State. North Carolina is a four and a half point favorite, but talk about he must win. This is where you win. If you don't win, oh my goodness, it'll be a rough morning tomorrow morning in Chapel Hill because the rest of the country is going to say, see, you didn't deserve to be in the tournament. We'll talk to Seth Davis from CBS. He'll join us coming up eight seven to seven three DP show Nate in Texas. Hi, Nate, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Good morning Dan? How are you guys? Great Nate, first time caller, longtime listener six two one ninety, trying to swim down. I just heard that Bill Tower interview. And what I love about you, Dan, is that you're able to get something out of these coaches because these coaches have so much experience, they have so much understanding of every process that happens in the game. But a lot of them, because they're so caught up in the details, you have to bring that out of them. You have to ask them the great questions. I thought that still Cower interview was.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nate. But you know I always talk about people say, oh, you ask great questions, and I always say, what are the answers, because that's really all that matters. I can ask what I think is a great question, I get a great answer. I just want to let you talk. And I think that's always been sort of the game plan here. Just let you talk and hopefully you say something. I pick it out and then maybe I go in a little deeper there. But they have to be willing to talk. Now, could I conduct an interview like that with Bill Belichick? If I'm not hang him, probably not. But if you pay him, then he tends to, you know, expound upon things a little bit more. They just have to be open to it. That's the key to a really good interview. That and then listen to what they have to say. Uh, Norman in Mississippi. Hi, Norman, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Come on? And dan? Uh just talking about the mighty Munsi Central Bearcats that lost to Milan Aka Hickory in nineteen fifty two, that won more state titles than any other high school in Indiana, did not win a game last year in high school basketball.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Norman. That's a stat of the day, Marvin wooh.
Speaker 7: How stead of the day?
Speaker 1: Stanta Day, Statuta day, stand outa day.
Speaker 2: This is the stand of the day. I didn't know I was going to get a Hoosier update, but I did. By the way, Luka Dancik had twenty one to fourteen and nine rebounds. Lakers beat the Spurs. Since they traded for him. The Lakers are nine to one at home. The Rockets came back from twenty five down in the fourth quarter beat Philadelphia. In the last six weeks, the Sixers have blown fourth quarter leads of twenty five and twenty six points. Congratulations. Fifty two players now have scored at least forty or more points in a game. That's the most at this point in a season in the last twenty years. Also, I was ready to watch Denver against Golden State, and then all of a sudden, Joker and Jamal Murray aren't playing, so I didn't watch Denver one. I'm going if you're going to rest Joker and Jamal Murray, do not rest them against Golden State. Rest them against the Wizards, who they lost to over the week. Like, let's just be fair to the audience. I'm sure they're all tired and beat up. Let him sit in the game against Washington. I know, you know, if you're gonna rest him and then you've got a game against the Lakers coming up, you could rest them against Washington and then they play. I mean, this is what you we We get ready for these games. We want to see these matchups, and then all of a sudden, it's he's not playing, Jamal Murray's not playing. All right, time to play phil in the blank. Fill in the blank, Dylan, I'll start with you. The NCAA tournament expansion is blank, lame, Seaton, blank, Marvin.
Speaker 8: The chance for less teams to complain about not making a tournament since there's already so many teams in the tournament.
Speaker 2: Anyway, wordy, but I'll accept it. NCAA tournament expansion is blank, Paul, months away. Baseball starting the season overseas is blank. By the way, the Dodgers beating the Cubs today this morning, Dylan lame, now good for the Dodgers, Seaton, lame.
Speaker 9: Marvin literally un American, Paul, easy to miss. I would say disappointing.
Speaker 2: Just just play spring training games a couple of spring training games. Houston Rockets are blank Dylan, intriguing as a flat Seaton, youthful Marvin, aawish. No, they used to be aauish.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like eighteen months ago, those guys were playing AAU basketball. Now they're an NBA, Paul.
Speaker 2: The Houston Rockets are blank, good but a little faceless. The Houston Rockets are dangerous. The Steelers starting quarterback next season will be blank Dylan, uh, probably Aaron Rodgers, Seaton, Mason, Rudolph Harvin.
Speaker 8: The guy who wears a Shawl.
Speaker 4: Paul A Pro Bowl alternate MM alternate.
Speaker 2: The Steelers starting quarterback next season will be Mason Rudon. Oh no, that's lad.
Speaker 9: Jump on board the bandwagon.
Speaker 2: Come on, buddy. Yeah. Calling in sick to watch the tournament on Thursday is blank, Dylan.
Speaker 10: A waste of a sick day.
Speaker 2: Just watch it at work, Seaton. I agree with it's a waste of a sick day. Yeah. But there are certain jobs where you can't watch the tournament though.
Speaker 11: Name one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like being a school teacher.
Speaker 7: Oh, you're right, you can't watch that.
Speaker 10: You can't roll on the TV and put on the tournament.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have a teacher who and and you know, now decades after I was in high school, they might have been hungover and then they would play a movie but it had nothing to do with the class that you were in. It would be like, uh, you know, and I was part of the audio visual team, and uh so you have to set up the TV monitor and then all of a sudden you turn out the lights and then you look over and you see mister strunk, was you know, sound asleep? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a religion teacher that sometimes if he was in a bad mood. We would come in and he would just be listening to Bob Marley.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 7: That's all we're doing today is listening to Bob Marley.
Speaker 5: Sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: My social study teacher brought in the VHS cassette and we just watched Hoop Dreams.
Speaker 2: Oh social studies. Yeah, social Yes, you.
Speaker 10: Can tell they were hungover if they didn't even have the lights on when you got into the room.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Call in sick to watch the tournament on Thursday is what Marvin.
Speaker 8: Something, Ray and Dylan do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, no, they're here. They don't call in sick. They're here.
Speaker 8: But if they were like lawyers or doctors or something important, that's something they would do.
Speaker 2: They could never become lawyer.
Speaker 10: No, no, I know, I know, I know in an alternate universe they actually have lawyers.
Speaker 2: No doctors, though, calling in sick to watch the tournament on Thursday is blank. Paul, to be commended, well, to be Commendeday, I never did that call in sick. I'm trying to think if I called in sick for oh opening day, Red's opening day. I called in sick one time and I went down there might have been nineteen seventy and went down to Riverfront Stadium, big Red Machine. Yeah, opening day, it was a big deal in noon start, Yes, but would you.
Speaker 4: Call in sick?
Speaker 13: Would you?
Speaker 4: Like in high school, did you ever call in sick or sick?
Speaker 2: No, just that just going to see the reds one time. But I don't think any Like my mom was on to me, you know she you know, it'd be like, all right, if you want to call in sick, you call in sick, because I'd be like, oh man throat early store, all right, you call in. And then I was like, I don't want to call in the secretary, you know, the principal's office. So I never did. But she wasn't going to do it. She was not going to do my dirty work. Yes, deal.
Speaker 10: Well, the worst would be if she's like, all right, if you're that sick, I guess we're going to the doctor today. Then you're like, well, not that sick.
Speaker 2: Well no, my mom was not like Fritzie's mom where you have a coffee. There would have been an ambulance. Yeah, poor Fritzie. I mean his mom would take him to the doctor no matter what happened. Like any he sneezed, got to go to the doctor. I remember she was disappointed that they didn't get shots one time, him and his brother, and she told them that she wanted them to get shots first. I don't know what it was, but they weren't supposed to get shots. And he jokes about getting his temperature taken wrecked at home.
Speaker 9: Yes, not even in a positions office. Yeah, I mean, come on, that's a tough one. If all you did was sneeze.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, hopefully not while you're getting that done.
Speaker 9: You just have a sore throat.
Speaker 2: You might send that thermometer through a wall like a jabbler. What was that Todd's getting his temperature taken rector? Alrighty, this is why we don't win sports semis right here, this is it? All right, We're gonna take a break. Seth Davis from CBS Sports. He will Well, we got a few college basketball things to talk about. More of your phone calls as well. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox Sportsradio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 14: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 14: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media. It's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: On this date in nineteen ninety Loyal to Marymount beat Michigan one forty nine to one fifteen, highest scoring game in NCAA tournament history. Let's bringing Seth Davis he of course from CBS Sports. You know, that Loyal and Marymount team was so far ahead of everybody in basketball when you think about what they were doing when they were doing it. This is what the game is now, certainly in the NBA.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and it's kind of you know, when you mention that, you know, so many unbelievable memories obviously from not only that team but that era, and it's it's interesting that nobody has really tried to do that. Now we have the analytics, and we have the three point shot and the spacing and all of that, but just the frenetic you know, early shot clock attempt no matter what. You know, there's like that Division III school, Grinnell College is that way and there's some dispute and it's an interesting conversation.
Speaker 7: Is that really basketball?
Speaker 15: I mean are they trying to win the thing about that Loyal and Marrimount team is they were really good. I mean they won a lot of games playing that way. It's just interesting that you know, in today's era, especially with the portal, you think a lot of players would want to try to play that way.
Speaker 2: But also it's a we want to take a three, We'll give you a two. We're going to take a three. And Paul West had, you know, had great shooters on that team, great scores on that team, and really you haven't seen anybody replicate that in Division one basketball, which you know, given the fact that everybody wants shoot threes, you would think that that would be something if they found a couple of really good three in d guys, that you'd be able to incorporate that. All right, I got off on a tangent there. What if North Carolina loses tonight?
Speaker 7: Seth, I do not like the better question.
Speaker 15: What if North Carolina makes the Sweet sixteen, does that mean they deserve to get in?
Speaker 7: No, the tournament is nuts. Stopped trying to make sense.
Speaker 15: Everybody wants to make s Oh, Gonzaga, that means they shouldn't have gotten Remember which tossed eight didn't get the right seat on that show? No, No, no, no, no, no, the tournament it all starts over again. There are a lot of teams that are not in this tournament that could win a few games. We've had two teams in the last fourteen years go from the first four to the final four. We don't need to get off another tangent. But I happen to be a proponent of expansion partly for this reason. I mean, imagine, by the way, Dan, you know we've got two games tonight and two games tomorrow night. How excited are your listeners about those games? Maybe not really, But if there were six games today and six games tomorrow, I think there'd be a lot more excitement. But yeah, I encourage people, Please don't use NCAA tournament results to retroactively justify whatever narrative you're trying to create.
Speaker 2: Could we have total transparency with the selection committee and they would allow us to see and hear what goes on behind the scenes. Is that asking too much invading somebody's privacy to let us see, so there is no discrepancy, so we do hear the arguments here?
Speaker 15: Right, So I start with this baseline, no matter what happens, when that Brackett comes out, people are going to be pissed, and some opportunistic governor is going to do whatever he does, and everyone's going to get on social media. Everybody's going to be pissed no matter what happens. I got half my timeline, you know, criticizing me for fawning over the committee and bub Bubba Cunningham when I asked him the question on the selection show, and the other half things that I am totally unfair, Duke hack who set him up for an unfair question.
Speaker 7: It's just the nature of the zeit, guys.
Speaker 15: This happened with the college football playoff when Alabama didn't get in. So I think the basketball committee, I think the football is way behind on this, and I understand this is the first year that they've done this. The basketball committee in the nca in general, has been extremely transparent about the process. Why do you think there are two hundred and fifty or five hundred bracketologists out there all using the numbers everything is out there. At the end of the day, it becomes very subjective. You get seven teams for three spots, right, that's the math. And so I've actually frankly talked to them about putting a pool reporter in the room so they can report on the person in the room can report on that, at least maybe for the bracketing because everybody has a million conspiracies, are you just they obviously obviously they just want to set up Platino in Calipari. You know, they used to and they haven't done this in a while then, And they actually used to do a mock selection where they bring in members of the media such as myself, put them in the actual committee room on the actual committee computers, and have them go through, you know, a truncated process so we all understand what the process is at the end of the day. I get the argument that, hey, these are big decisions, and we want people to be able to speak freely, and if there's a camera in the room, they can't speak freely and have a real candid discussion about things. It's a very difficult position to be in because you know they're subject to such criticisms.
Speaker 7: So look, I disagree with the North Carolina decision.
Speaker 15: By the way, go to all these bracketologist who are up in arms. All of them had Carolina in their first four out. Many of them had Carolina as their first team out or their second team out. And every year there is a team that comes sort of from further down the list. But people don't expect to be in it's a little unfortunate that this year that team happened to be the school where not just someone on the committee, but the.
Speaker 7: Actual chair of the committee is.
Speaker 15: The ad from that school, and he's gotten an incentive in his contract. It's all Bubba mice. Dan, I disagree, but that doesn't make it corrupt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just there's so much money at stake, there's jobs at stake, you know. I just I want to make sure they get it right. It's just like the college football playoffs. I want to make sure they get it right.
Speaker 15: Wouldn't you agree that that there is no right at the end of the day. It's otherwise. The better answer, Dan, would be, let's not have any human beings do it. Let's have an algorithm and let's plug in the numbers and let's let the AI computer or whatever will use your image AI generated to you know, but why even have.
Speaker 7: People in the room.
Speaker 15: It's subjective. You're going to get what the football went from four to twelve. That means whoever's thirteen is going to be mad.
Speaker 7: It's just it's just math.
Speaker 2: Okay, So why don't we do that? Or why don't we let Vegas decide who are the teams that should be in.
Speaker 7: There's a case for that.
Speaker 15: Listen, I've made the case, and I'll give Joe Lonardi credit for being one of the first to really say this. People talk about the eye test. I don't think there should be an eye test. Oh look at them. They both like, you see your vine and you see San Diego. Look at this game, they both. Have you seen every team play every game this year? Because I watch a lot of basketball and I haven't done that, but those numbers have seen that. So you know, there is some subjectivity built into the really on the fringes of the process. You know, ninety percent of what happens and who's in and where they're seated and where they play is pretty baked in. So it's only in that last maybe ten percent where you get genuine human subjectivity. And as long as you have that, people are going to be mad. They're going to have conspiracy theories. Oh, we should have basketball people on the committee. We should have non NCAA people on the committee.
Speaker 7: Blah blah blah. Win enough games and you don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 2: Seth Davis from CBS Sports joining us. Let's say Duke doesn't win the National title. Let's say Duke maybe bounds out in the Elite eight. Is there a scenario where Cooper Flag would come back to Duke?
Speaker 15: In your opinion, there's a better chance that I will play for Duke next year. And by the way, I do have eligibility that Cooper Flag there is zero chance.
Speaker 7: And he should.
Speaker 15: I would not suggest that anybody make that kind of a decision based on the NCAA tournament and what happens in the postseason. Who knows what happens in this tournament. He's going to be the number one pick in the draft. Yes, he can make good money coming back to Duke. He can make exponentially more going to the NBA. You know, when Zion Williamson was about to make his announcement, he said, well, we don't know how serious he really was, but he actually talked to Coach k about this, and he said, what if.
Speaker 7: I come back?
Speaker 15: Like I had such fun like what if I come back? And Ka basically told him, well, you don't have a scholarship here and you don't have a roster here.
Speaker 7: I don't want that on me. Go pro go make your hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: So let's Cooper flyg get paid.
Speaker 7: That's a great question, and he wants transparency. That's what I'd like to know.
Speaker 15: I would guess neighborhood of eight million all in right between. He's probably getting two from Duke and their whole collective. I mean, he's got his own new Balance.
Speaker 2: He's got to get more from Duke than the guy at Kansas State got two million dollars.
Speaker 15: He got two million dollars from their collective. But Cooper Flag is a unicorn in terms of his market. I mean he's got his own shoe deal, he's at the signature Nike's school, and he's got a new Balance deal.
Speaker 16: That's pretty good.
Speaker 7: That's my hat's off the hip man.
Speaker 1: But but you don't want to Brown.
Speaker 7: I want to shout at his agent at SAA, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: You don't want to go to the Wizards though.
Speaker 7: You know what, It's funny.
Speaker 15: I grew up a Wizards fan, and I went down to Durham to interview Cooper Flag and a couple of guys for Fox Sports.
Speaker 7: I said to him, I said, you look pretty good in the Wizard's uniform, but.
Speaker 15: They're not gonna win. Look, it would be the most Wizards thing ever to not not they're gonna pick third or whatever whatever the lowest on.
Speaker 2: We weren't you a Bullets fan before then they became because I remember seeing the ball the Bullets with Wes Unseld and Phil and Elvin Hayes.
Speaker 7: Elvin Hayes, Yeah.
Speaker 15: Do you remember the old Capital Center with that sort of concave. Yeah, yeah, out in Landover, Maryland. My dad of those games back in the day. We are old, d and we are old.
Speaker 2: The transfer portals effect on college basketball, good or bad?
Speaker 15: I think it's I think on balance it's been very good. I think that I would like to see maybe for the second time transfer you have to sit out of here. That's really what happened. People talk about the portal. The portal is just a database that allows everybody to see who wants to transfer, who doesn't, and help you to get in touch. What really happened was it used to be if you transferred, you had to sit out a year, and it was only in like a couple of sports. So they got rid of that, and then they said, oh, okay, on the second transfer, you have to sit out of here, but we're going to have exceptions for hardships and then everybody's uncle got super sick and they had to, you know, go live near the uncle, and.
Speaker 7: So they ended up getting rid of that.
Speaker 15: That's part of why, you know, I'm hoping at some point it seems inevitable then they just make them employees, let them unionize, get a collective bargaining agreement, and maybe maybe it gets rectified that way. But you know, I see and I understand, like when people will say, oh, you know, these mid major teams, they have a great player, and then he can just transfer up, and that's not fair to the mid major schools, but they can also get transfers from schools who are in lower divisions. And by the way, a lot of these players start off at those power conference schools and don't get a lot of minutes and they end up transferring down. So I don't think there's been any change in that regard. The best players are always going to go to the schools with the best resources, and so it's sort of manifesting itself differently. But this is as far as I'm concerned, it's been that way since the beginning of time.
Speaker 2: Well, look at Drake, they took players from Division two to fill out that roster. So you're right, you can go down lower if you need to give me the sneaky give me two or three sneaky teams that they may not get to the final four, but they're going to create some havoc.
Speaker 7: Well, Drake is definitely one of them.
Speaker 15: You know, Ben McCollum came from D two, won national championships there, brought four players. And by the way, you see San Diego as another team, I've got them going to the sweet sixteen. Actually this is their fourth year in Division one, but there's a transition period about being so is their first year being eligible for the tournament.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so those are hungry.
Speaker 15: But a lot of those guys came from a Division two as well. What I like about Drake dan and maybe this is someone that all the bracket filler routers can look out for. I like I do like teams that is slow tempo because it's you get these stylistic contrasts. So they're playing Missouri, which likes to get out and go, and you know basketball better than anyone. It's much easier to take a team that wants to run and slow them down then take a team that wants to play slow and try to speed them up. So Saint Mary's is another team that plays a slow tempo liberty. They're playing Oregon in the first round, and that's my first round upset.
Speaker 7: I really like.
Speaker 15: High Point as a thirteen seed. They won their league last year, lost in the conference tournament, brought a lot of those guys back. They got a guy Bobby Pettiford who played at Kansas Ye now coming off their bench, and they won all year. They won their league by three games. And then McNeice is the other one. Will Wade's got some serious, serious high major athletes. I like high Point because they go seven feet six' eight in the front court and they're six.
Speaker 7: Man is a stretch for six.
Speaker 15: Nine a lot of times those mid major team teams don't have the size up front.
Speaker 7: That some of the high majors. ONE does i Like the panthers Of.
Speaker 2: High point give me the vulnerable number, One, SEED.
Speaker 7: Well i Think.
Speaker 15: IT'S auburn, I mean i think there's any question that they've lost. THEIR edge i think the mantle of being as good as, they are as good as they've been in that league. All, season now, you know maybe they know. Rejuvenate themselves auburn is an, Amazing, story dan and that all of, those guys they got, one guy a freshman point guard To hot petterford comes off.
Speaker 7: The bench he was a.
Speaker 15: Top recruit everybody else. ARE ted, I Mean jeni broom is the player of, the year spent his first two Seasons At. MOREHEAD state, i mean they got guys who transferred Into from. Division Two, Chad baker mazara came from. Junior college so they kind of they need to get, that back like that chip on. Their shoulder they're much better like, seat biscuit, you know trying to play.
Speaker 2: From behind should there be an age? CEILING that i think the point Guard for creighton is? Twenty four is that? THAT right, i mean should we get to the, point where, you know maybe.
Speaker 7: Twenty, THREE well i don't think it should.
Speaker 15: BE age, i, DO obviously i think it should. Be eligibility, and again this is why we just need to get to, collective bargaining because the Governor Of, west virginia, YOU know, i mean what makes you more popular as a politician or attorney general prosecutor than, you know sticking up for athletes AGAINST.
Speaker 7: The ncaaa one thing that is going to happen.
Speaker 15: Next year the whole sport's going to get younger because this is the last year of the QUOTE Unquote. Covid senior everybody got an extra year of eligibility.
Speaker 7: BECAUSE.
Speaker 15: Of covid so you got guys who are playing and if like you had a medical, red shirt but now like they're trying to make it so and these judges are helping them out that the junior college doesn't count against. Your clock so you can play two years in junior college and now and now have five to play Four in. Division one that's not going.
Speaker 7: To last. IT'S craziness i.
Speaker 2: Tell you we'll talk to you during. The tournament always great to connect.
Speaker 7: With you, Love, you dan thanks for having me on and joy.
Speaker 2: The tournament, Thank You Sam SETH. Davis cbs we'll come back last call for, phone calls what, we learned what's in store tomorrow, after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live Edition Of The Dan patrick show weekdays at Nine am eastern Six am Pacific On Fox sports radio And the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wap, UH so i got my, bracket here don't fill it out. Until tomorrow at at the end of, the show at the end, of business a couple of phone calls in here and let. Me see How about Kennedy. And Nebraska, hi kennedy how were you?
Speaker 17: This?
Speaker 2: Morning hey?
Speaker 17: Pretty good and, first Off Happy?
Speaker 2: New, year, no, no no we don't, do that.
Speaker 7: Thank.
Speaker 17: You no you guys mentioned earlier What jobs dan Camp Watch? March madness? That WORKED and i think you guys said teachers aren't able to and as a Teacher, IN nebraska i can tell you it can be and. Is done that's kind of why extra credit. WAS invented i think to keep an eye on the kids at the desk and keep an eye on creating a.
Speaker 2: Newis though, all, right well Thank you kennedy sounds like a teacher who probably gives his students a chance to watch basketball. Extra credit Jack, in. Michigan hijack what's on your? Mind? Today?
Speaker 12: HEY dan i think people are making too big of a Deal About. North carolina everybody's getting bent out. Of shape they're not going to be around. That long we don't have to worry. About them AND then i thought about you guys and how you have such an extensive background, in MUSIC and i thought there's probably, a musical a song about every team in, the tournament and this One and linda had this to Say.
Speaker 11: About carolina, Thank, YOU jack i respect.
Speaker 2: The effort. Nailed, it yep he did. Nailed It jim Jim, In California, hi jim, Good.
Speaker 12: Morning dan how are you this?
Speaker 2: All spectacular.
Speaker 18: Hey to i'm glad you mentioned it a little. Bit ago. About baseball it's lame And. Un americans you have the opening day of our national pastime in a country other Than The united States. Of america never mind an opening Day on march. The eighteenth they should play exhibition games over there and start like they usually do In The united States. Of america AND.
Speaker 2: The nfl, oh okay oh we lost HIS quick nfl, Take. There. Marvin yeah SEE.
Speaker 3: That's i FEEL like i have more of a problem not with where baseball's opening, day is but the timing. Of it they hate, that it's, you know weeks before the.
Speaker 2: SEASON starts i just don't think it's fair to.
Speaker 3: These teams what do you have and if you're having these games count and then you play a bunch of games and then they, don't count and then you play games that do, count again what the hell for.
Speaker 2: Are you trying to tell me that the best baseball Fan in japan is going to go now it's, a preseason it's. Spring training i'm not going to. Watch that they will show up and they will sell that. Place out at least be fair to the players who have a couple. Of weeks now you have to go back and go back into spring. Training mode IT'S just i don't. LIKE it i understand Why the dodgers want to, do It absolutely and, you know if You're the cubs and you want to try to establish a foothold, over there and maybe you know you're able to get. More players they have a Couple of. JAPANESE players i understand all. Of that i'm all about growing, the game but care of, you know your fan who's been with you. For decades you can still grow. The game but if You're a, dodger fan were you getting up at three in, the morning four in. THE morning, i mean if you're going over there For, the dodgers then think About the. Dodgers fans let's see this day and. Sports history pauling.
Speaker 4: Eighteen, Ninety Two, Frederick Arthur lord Stanley, of preston announced that he had purchased a trophy to be presented To The hockey Champion, Of canada guess what they, named It The. Stanley, cump yeah very nice of him to not open up To. Other lord and then nineteen SEVENTY the Nfl selected wilson to be the official football and scoreboard as the.
Speaker 2: Official, time okay let ME see i mentioned a couple of. Basketball Ones, michael jordan perhaps you've heard. Of him nineteen ninety five announced that he is ending his SEVENTEEN month Nba retirement Mike. And, Florida, hi mike what's on your? Mind?
Speaker 16: Today, DANIEL first i want to thank you for all your great interviews over. The years you make people at ease and that you go in directions that nobody else would go into and you get stuff out of them that nobody can get out. Of THEM so i really appreciate your interviews over.
Speaker 2: The, years well thank you, Very, Much mike.
Speaker 16: You're welcome but and the, net rankings that's the ONLY thing i want. To investigate and let me give. You example at the first of, The year houston lost their first three quad one games and they were still in net rankings. Number three now you explain that. To me how can you lose the zero to three and quad one wins that are supposed to? Be important and still be ranked in the. Net rankings. Number three that. Just throws it's garbage in and. GARBAGE out i would rather see people who like ex coaches who maybe call these a lot of these games and watch dozens because they call the games.
Speaker 2: They it, you know there's a no win situation, those players those coaches may, play favorites or we would infer that they're. Playing Favorites jim beheim's on. The program we'll see what. HE says rg three will. Stop by what did you, Learn Today Dylan.
Speaker 10: General booty's middle Name, is axel which is also the most normal of his.
Speaker 2: Three Names, Uh, Seaton yeah axel. In there. It's underappreciated marvin.
Speaker 8: Mel Kiper Loved Jackson, Dart.
Speaker 4: Paul It's robert griffin, the third And It's Jim. BEHEIM junior i just.
Speaker 16: Found it