Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for dake Edo State?
Speaker 2: Is that? Whoo whoo? And no, Dan and Tye, welcome back to the solid Urbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrant. I am over here in snow Yallentown, Pennsylvania. I am joined by my friend, in colleague and co host of many years way over there in also snow in New York City, Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 1: I am nervous, Tie, I have I have just I have butterflies in my stomach right now because we have been wanting to do this show for so long. We came up with the concept for this show a couple months ago. Yeah, I had a long day of work. I just got back from my bachelor party. I've given this way too much thoughts and I am. I am thus very excited. Also because there's nothing to talk about in college football. There's nothing talk about in college football. So here here's the deal. We talked about it on the last show, last couple shows.
Speaker 2: It's the off season and once you get to this timeframe, kind of like between now and spring football, now and the draft. It's slow going in terms of actual college football stuff.
Speaker 1: We had talked.
Speaker 2: About doing this show all throughout last season. We're calling it the Secret Garbage Bracket, and we've timed it coincidentally enough that the NCAA Tournament starts tomorrow. We're recording this on a Wednesday evening the tournament, the actual NCAA basketball tournament. We do have a pool for the Saliver bol you haven't seen it go on the Facebook or Twitter, but we're doing a different bracket. It's thematic, but it's a different kind of bracket, which we'll get into here in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Last night, and I didn't send you this file because it's abhorrent, but we have music for this, the theme music. Yeah, this the Secret Garbage Bracket. And I was trying to find like a Marv albert esque voice to lay over it, and I was just I was going, like from New York and Alan, so I kept like trying to do that. So obviously my voice is a little higher than Marv Alberts. He's got that low like from the MCI, So probably, yeah, absolutely, And every single take I did, and this is without exception, it sounded like Marv Albert was doing the voice of Krang from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, So it was always just like from New York City. She was very bad time. It was extremely unfortunate they get any for effort. The secret garbage bracket.
Speaker 2: We solicited a bunch of suggestions, many of which we had already come up with on our own, but some of which gave us really good ideas to include in our brackets.
Speaker 1: So many.
Speaker 2: I will get to the format of that, and we will lay down the intro track here momentarily before we do a few housekeeping notes. First and foremost, if you're listing the show or just finding so the first time, please do subscribe out on iTunes, at iTunes, dot com, slash Solid Verbal, or anywhere where you can find your favorite podcasts.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 2: We have been getting a lot of reviews. We got a great review that I posted the Twitter quote if ty hildon Brandt would relax and talk like a normal person, I'd give it another star.
Speaker 1: Listen, you have the pipes, why waste them? Why waste them? Just like hanging out and speaking like a normal human.
Speaker 2: That's do you think I don't. Do you think I don't speak normally though? Like I kind of talk like this in real life too.
Speaker 1: I don't think you fully speak like this in real life. No, we've hung out enough where you are. You are in broadcast mode as a broadcaster. But like what we're talking about, like for instance, like you can never stop talking about like sex stuff, right, so like you have a different voice when you talk about stuff like that. Now you're you're a lower key, I would say, in talking about normal stuff. All right, Well I'll try to I'll try to dial it back here. Now, stay you, the people love you.
Speaker 2: Be my normal, relaxed eight if you will also find us on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, on snapchat. More on that in a little bit here as we get into our brackets, anything else, anything else, I'm leading out before we just dive right in.
Speaker 1: No, I'll give a couple people asked. I'll give a very brief review of my bachelor party from yes please, and after the bracket, that'll be our epilogue for this ridiculous show.
Speaker 2: New Orleans, right, New Orleans? All right, Louisiana great, can't wait? Okay, let's way down. Oh yeah, New York. All right, Dan, this is the secret garbage bracket show.
Speaker 1: M hmm, what exactly is this, Dan, I'm glad you asked, Ty, I'm glad you asked. So. Secret garbage is taking something that is universally not necessarily beloved, but accepted, welcomed into society, into the open arms of a polite society, as being something that is generally thought of as good, as acceptable, as fun, as a thing people enjoy, and we just sort of move on from it without fully recognizing that this thing, it could be food, it could be a place, it could be an activity, it could be a state of mind, it could be a concept, whatever the case may be, is secretly actually garbage. And I think we've tried to shift in a direction. Tie and excuse me if I'm speaking out of turn. Like, we try to appreciate, we try to be a little bit more positive, we make jokes, but we genuinely love college football, right correct, Yeah, we love our subject matter. Yes it's a complicated one, but we love it. So this is something that we are taking something that people seem to all like or mostly like, but that we feel strongly against. We feel that this thing, this concept, this whatever it is this item is secretly just trash.
Speaker 2: I would also add that because an item is featured in our sixteen Team sixteen Thing bracket that we're about to unveil, it does not require that you or I actually dislike any of the things that we're putting out there. There are some things in this list that I genuinely enjoy, But okay, I feel like a little self awareness goes a long way. It can be a very powerful thing, and in this case, I think all of the items that we're about to unveil here are very applicable. So what we did is we put together a Google form and we threw it out there as of our last show. We told people submit the things that you think apply. We got a whole spectrum of answers, some of which totally fit the bill and we used some of which were kind of on the cusp, which we can talk about a little bit later, some which just totally missed the mark but were funny. Like over four hundred plus submissions to this which on short notice was doing pretty.
Speaker 1: Well if I don't say so myself.
Speaker 2: What you and I have decided to do in order to make this a little bit more mysterious a bit more dramatic. We have each filled out a roster of eight items each, right, yeah, we have prepared a bracket where we can slot each of our seated items.
Speaker 1: But you know who's on my list, I know who's on yours. We don't know the order of.
Speaker 2: The seeds, so it's kind of like a high school wrestling match. We know the roster, we don't know the order. The matchups could dictate who ultimately ends up winning this thing, right.
Speaker 1: I imagine, So, yes, absolutely, And we'll openly add that if you are randomly listening to this show and you are a fan of the show to whatever degree, you are probably going to disagree with like eighty percent, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, and you're I think violently, not mindly, vehemently, you are not going to appreciate a lot of these things because they fit under the category of things people like. And this is the disclaimer that I want to give Ty and feel free to jump in if I'm wrong. Ty and I are both very dumb, so let's just get that out of the way. Agreed, Yeah, that we are both very dumb, and we have strong opinions about things that are probably going to be wrong, And does that mean we love you any less if you disagree? I mean maybe, I don't know. I can't say for certain, but Ty, do we want to play the music again? If you know what the music sounds like? It sounds like the music that was behind Bob Hope trotting out, like the All American team in nineteen eighty four where it was just like Berry sand I don't know why I'm going to cry again. I could see that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So do you want to start with your lineup or do you want me to start with mine?
Speaker 2: Well, let's start with our East region here, Dan, we've broken down into four regions. We're doing the Sweet sixteen because if we did the final thirty two or even sixty four, we'd be here all day. We could do that if the assignment required it, but in this case, we don't have the time. So we're going to go Sweet sixteen and we're going to start in the East Region. We need to come up with better name for these regions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can do that.
Speaker 2: My number one seed, Dan, will be going up against your number eight seed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My number one seed is the NFL number eight going against the NFL is day drinking ooh day drinking. All right, so again things that people like that are secretly trash. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I will use the words of one Spencer Hall as it applies to the NFL. He said a long time ago that the NFL is like paying for sex. I can think of no better way to describe the NFL. I enjoy it, I genuinely enjoy it, but it's a lot like drinking diet coke. There is something, there's a soul, there's an individuality element that.
Speaker 1: Is missing from the NFL. It just feels too corporate.
Speaker 2: Everything that is fun has been boiled out of the final product that by far is my number one seed.
Speaker 1: I don't think I watched a full NFL game in twenty sixteen during the regular season. I don't believe I did. And I work on Sundays and it's a little bit more difficult. But NFL is the product on TV is particularly bad. There's what ten eight good quarterbacks out of thirty two teams. It's still not all that creative. I really do like watching the best quarterbacks, but beyond that, it takes a long time, not as long as college for the games, and it's just it's tedious to me at this point, it is tedious after watching college football on Saturday. I don't like the broadcasters all that much. I don't like the pregame shows all that much, and it brings out the worst in sports media, I would say, and for that, I think your number one seed is pretty strong. My number eight seed tie is day drinking and agent proponent day drinking. I'm a big, big proponent in avoiding everything, and I've talked about this. It falls into the same category, under the same umbrella as pancakes. Don't do anything in the morning midday that's going to ruin the rest of your day. Day drinking. It puts me to sleep. I feel like gross after two hours. I just I can't handle it. I think it's it's just avoid it. It's not worth it. I here a lot of it involves sweeter drinks too. It's largely garbage. It's definitely a process.
Speaker 2: I disagree with you because I do enjoy the day drinking experience, but I will say this, in order to enjoy the experience, you need to be a veteran at it, because if you go too hard too early, then it most certainly ruins your day an hour later. You have to know how to pace yourself in order to really get maximum enjoyment out of it.
Speaker 1: Will you drink at brunch? Brunch is another thing that I'd be happy to have on this list, But brunch was a suggestion that we got here.
Speaker 2: I've been known to have a mimosa or too at a brunch, but it's not something I generally would do.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's secretly exciting. It is that you're still on that momosa train. You love a good moments. I do, yeah, I just I think it's a wreck. I think it's it's no when day drinking is garbage.
Speaker 2: I think you can get away with it. I think you can get away with it. I think you can still have a good time. It definitely takes a toll on you, and there's a high probability of ruining the rest of your day. I understand why this is an eight seed though, and that to me makes sense. I feel like we've got to move the NFL through here though, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can move the NFL through.
Speaker 2: I've got some gush Johnson sounds here, do you I do?
Speaker 1: I got that one. I got a few other ones here. I don't think the NFL is going far. I feel like the NFL is the Georgetown or Kansas All right.
Speaker 2: Well, fair enough, then you got to tell me who you think is going to beat the NFL. Absolutely also in this bracket. So the NFL is going to play the winner of your four seed in my five seed.
Speaker 1: So who is who is the number four seed? With my number four seed? I'm going with steakhouses. Tie ooh, I'm going steakhouses. So here's my issue. I haven't been to a steakhouse in a long time. Here's my issue. Steak is fine, It's totally fine. You want to pay thirty five forty dollars for a cut of beef with salt and pepper, that's up to you. Good for you. It's boring to me. The formality of it is so stuffy it's not fun. Everything is relatively overpriced, the same like three appetite. You want cream spinach, You want a crabcash potatoes? Yeah, you want garlic mashed potato. Like it's something that is for boring middle aged people. And I understand myself to be a boring person in his early thirties. But if you live in a city with interesting food, I will never understand why you like steak is it's just steak or lobster or what crab claws like, Let's do better. Let's get some Vietnamese food, Let's get some Mexican food, Let's get sometali. You're a food you settle, you're a foodie, but like, you don't need to be a foodie to enjoy Asian food or Mexican food or Italian food. Tie.
Speaker 2: I feel like if you would put Brazilian steakhouses here, it was potentially a number one or a number two seed.
Speaker 1: Sure, but steakhouses in general, I'm with you. If you want to go for the most boring possible evening with the most boring possible people suggest going to a steakhouse.
Speaker 2: I would say that the workers at a steakhouse take the steak so seriously that it's kind of intimidating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's very self serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't necessarily get a better cut of steak for simply being at a steakhouse.
Speaker 1: I've been at steakhouses and gotten good steak. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like steak is fine, but I don't feel like the two are always related.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like the oversized wine goblets, and it's just like meat and starch and the whole idea of and I know people feel this way, you like that maiden starchy when people say this about barbecue, like, oh, a good barbecue just needs salt and pepper. That's it. Cool, have fun, that's you know. Boring people will just treat their food in boring ways. It's just it's tedious and you get like these giant menus and the people come out with that.
Speaker 3: You can like look at your steaks before him, like, oh, did you want the robbot? Did you want to see them marbling on the room? No? No, God, this is stupid. Let's go someone, Let's go get some fu. My hunch is that you feel very passionate about this. You're not just putting on a show here.
Speaker 1: No, it's it is for like very stayed. It's it's just when if you live in a place that has like two restaurants, one of them is probably a steakhouse, okay, And if you are in a place with two restaurants, you're making bad decisions, all right, point taking point taking.
Speaker 2: My number five seed is another fine dining establishment. You may know it as Panera. What is wrong with Panera?
Speaker 1: I love me some Broccolian cheese. Soup. I love it as much as the next guy. I love me so smoked turkey on Country. I love hearing like your food directions are just my favorite thing thus far. You've come out wildly in favor of mimosas and broccoli and cheese, so that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in favor of the broccoli and cheese soup. I'm in favor of the smoke turkey on Country, a lot of the other stuff that tastes good that Panera offers. My problem is that I don't like it for ten dollars a pop, and I definitely don't like it after you like go on YouTube or read the articles and see that the cheese soup comes out of a frozen plastic bag.
Speaker 1: The whole brand, the whole brand is.
Speaker 2: Built around freshness, right. None of this stuff is actually fresh, and to boot it's overpriced, right. I feel like Panera was in vogue there for a while. It probably still is, but I have cooled dramatically on the whole Panera train. I don't think it's good enough to beat out steakhouses, but I feel like there are a lot of people who are still pretty gung ho on Panera and see Uly it's still very garbage.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, definitely. Yeah, this is not as applicable because I just I've only been to Panera maybe two or three times in my life. Really, Okay, I regularly will pay eleven or twelve dollars for lunch because I live in an over. I go, say, you also live in New York, but point right, So I will regularly pay that much for lunch anyway. But I would think it's so there's there's different categories, right. There's like your fast food, and you have like your value manual, so you could get away with paying like four dollars for lunch. You have your intermediate like or like low end fast casual, which is what I feel like Panera falls under. And then you're sort of more modern fast casual, which is like Shakeshack or because Shakeshack is definitely a step up price wise. There's places in the arc dig In is one of them, Chopped As another one, like salads and plates and bowls and sandwiches and stuff like that, and it'll set you back eleven or twelve bucks. But the quality of a place like that, I feel like is generally higher than Panera, so you sort of get what you pay for. So I think you're right. And Panara falls into one of those gray areas like either get fast food or get something a little nicer, and Banara doesn't hit either one of those things.
Speaker 2: I agree, all right, So it's Steakhouses against Panera. I think we can unanimously agree that steakhouses gets the not here.
Speaker 1: I think we got to move steakhouses. I don't want to eat around bow ties.
Speaker 2: I just don't the four or five matchups generally generally very evenly matched, very pivotal contests. Steakhouses gets to no here. I have no retort against it. Moving on now to the Midwest Region. So we've got our first two in the elite eight through in the East region. The NFL in Steakhouses look forward to that matchup in the next round. Now we go to the Midwest, Dan and this is your two seed against my seventh seed. My number two seed is Las Vegas, Nevada. Oh man, Now wow, I know people from Las Vegas. I'm gonna be specific.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say vacationing in Las Vegas, Nevada, which is generally centered around the strip and environs Las Vegas is useless. Once you turn twenty two. You don't need to go to Vegas. And now you might be saying yourself, well, I mean the restaurants in a show, and she's like, no, you don't want to be around people that love going to Vegas because that you have to go to shows around people who love going to Vegas. You have to go to restaurants around people who love going to Vegas. And it's a mess, and it's loud, and it's hot and it's smoky, and you hear dada. All right, but hold on, let me retort.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily disagree with this, but what if you're there for something other than gambling or drinking or Debauchrie like, what if you went for so?
Speaker 1: What are you there for? A concert? Do you want to see Celindion and she's doing it only in Vegas? I'm literal see Britney Spears. Go with you, Ty, go see Britney Spears.
Speaker 2: What if you want to go see the Hoover Dam and just stay in Vegas and do the helicopter tour? What if you want to go out there and play a nice desert golf course. Dan Golf also a possibility.
Speaker 1: Go to Arizona, go to Arizona. I'm just saying it might not be all bad. I know. I just if you like, like gambling is just so boring to me too, Like you're sitting in a disgusting room with mostly degenerates losing your money. Like, if I'm going to lose my money, I want to do it in a more exciting way. I think it's garbage. Do you gamble? Do you go and you sit it like a craps table or a blackjack table.
Speaker 2: I'll do the blackjack thing. Yeah, I haven't did a while, and since I've been married, I've done it exactly zero. But right I enjoy myself a good black chack actual or too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you does the solid wife Kate ever say? Ty? Do you ever want to want to go to Vegas?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, Okay, I was gonna say no, that's never happened. I mean, And if we're going to sort of parse this and I have like a subheading, Atlantic cities might be worse, which is great. Atlantic City, though, has a different kind of charm. There is some charm to Atlantic City. Yeah, it's not trying to be Vegas in the same way, even though there are casinos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Vegas, saw Atlantic City and decided it wanted to be like a thousand times better. All right, your number two is Vegas against my number seven, right, Like this, this is specific, it's very specific. Bluetooth connectivity.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it threw long and hard and you know, kind of along the along the same lines of like AC being a poor man's Vegas. Bluetooth connectivity is wireless connectivity, but it has shorter range, slower data speeds, like a greater likelihood of getting disconnected, like all of the possibilities that exist with any kind of wireless connection, all the risks that exist with a wireless connection are multiplied about eightfold when it comes to bluetooth connectivity. And yet we're still making bluetooth devices. They're selling things like hotcakes on the Bluetooth side of things, whether it's a speaker or some neck buds whatever they call them. Now by a whole range of great Bluetooth products. But to me, it's just not reliable.
Speaker 1: Ty, I just got some bows Bluetooth headphones. Yeah, they're great when they charge, right, have charging issues with them? Not great? Yeah, Bluetooth is like the new printer cable or the new print like has a printer ever for its entire life just worked. I no, no, I don't feel like a single printer has been produced. So that sort of falls under the same corollary as the Bluetooth connectivity. Yeah, it's kind of a mess. I don't have a car, so I don't have that experience that you probably do connecting. But Bluetooth seems kind of garbage. Bluetooth in the car is a treasure unto itself. I'm gonna go Vegas here. I'm gonna take the w hair. I think I'm gonna go Vegas here. Let's go gus. He does that little laugh. All right, So you got another one through to the Elite eight here. I'm penciling it in on our sheet, Las Vegas. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: That brings us to the second matchup in the Midwest region before we take a station break here. Okay, an interesting way that the Midwest region has been set up.
Speaker 1: You're gonna notice a theme here.
Speaker 2: We did not plan this out, honestly we didn't, but there is a decided party theme going on here, with the exception of course, a blue to the connectivity. Yeah, my number three seed is bottle service.
Speaker 1: Dan Okay, so I took exception with this. Yeah, you did you like bottle service? No, I've never done bottle service in my life. I'm only sort of positive. I know what it is, but I don't know a single person that does this. Okay, do you know people that do this? Yes, that will go to like I, off the top of my head, could not tell you the last time last time I went to a club was probably when I was in Las Vegas and it was awful. And I don't know the last time friends of mine have been to a club and had even the option to do this. So quick sidebar, hold on, let me jump in. I lied. I was offered bottle service at my bachelor party this past week. Oh there you go. Fair enough. That didn't do it in a previous.
Speaker 2: Life, and certainly not on my own volition. I was part of a crew that did bottle service at a local bar, and I could tell you from experience that I've never been more on comfortable, and I've never felt more pretentious in my entire life. That's just not my speech.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's pretentious. I don't think it is fully on douchey. I think it's douchey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well sure, I just you know, in a crowded nightclub, it can give you instant status. You know, if you're out in Vegas, it can give you status if you have the booth of your crew.
Speaker 1: It's so bad.
Speaker 2: It's definitely way more convenient not having to go and fight for a bartender's attention. I get that aspect of it, But one hundred and fifty dollars for one bottle stuff like that. To me, anything overpriced falls into the garbage category, whether it's secret or not. And bottle service, when you layer on top of it, the fact that it could be pretentious and douchey and all that stuff in between, that to me is definitely something that maybe a younger generation is into, but I am not.
Speaker 1: The rest of these entries are things we come across pretty often, Panera steakhouses, the NFL Las Vegas's Bachelor and stuff like that. Bluetooth connectivity obviously you have a serious issue with, yes, But the bottle service thing is like once every three years you get offered it. In my experience, well, I mean there are other things on here. It doesn't fit, is what I'm saying. You don't think it's mainstream enough. I don't think it's mainstream enough.
Speaker 2: I think it is. Okay, I think it is. I strongly disagree. Bottle services. Okay, it's a bottle service. Will be squaring off against my number six seed in the Midwest.
Speaker 1: My number six seed is New Year's Eve. Wow, that's an underseed. It's probably underseeded. New Year's Eve is a total waste of time. I mean, if you have problems with overpriced things, I don't know how you put bottle service ahead of an entire night that includes bottle service options. Right, Okay, So New Year's Eve is, you know, restaurants and bars and clubs will invite people out and you can sign up for prefix menus and things like that, and you count down, you dress up nicely. I get the idea of going out and dressing up and sort of gathering friends and you know, your spouse whatever, and really doing it up. I understand that. But the pain of it, especially if you follow college football, which I assume most people listening do, it's it's not worth it. It is just I think your plan tie is pretty genius, and that is figure out your own tradition. You do the hibachi thing, right, You order a bunch of mimosas and broccoli cheese soup and just do your thing. That's right, baby, Going all out on New Year's Eve, it just seems like such garbage. It seems it's useless, it's overrated.
Speaker 2: That's what Bill Hancock tried. Bill Hancock wanted to start a new tradition. Didn't work for him. New tradition didn't work for him. Here's my problem with New Year's Eve. I don't disagree. Yeah, I've been an outspoken critic against New Year's Eve for as long as I can remember. But if you're going to argue that bottle service is not mainstream enough to be included or to be seated as highly as I've seated it, you could also make the case that New Year's Eve it's overtly garbage, Dan, It's an entire Everyone knows it's garbage already, So the secret factor is lacking here.
Speaker 1: I live in a place where like one hundred thousand people pack themselves annually into a tiny square. Those people really like it. Those show up there, Dan, I know, but they like I mean, these are people that like it's an experience to go to Times Square and see that that's a noted event in this country, in this world. But that's going out for New Year's Eve. That's going out to an event. It's like going to a concert.
Speaker 2: It doesn't necessarily mean that you are a New Year's Eve apologist?
Speaker 1: Right? Do you like New Year's Eve?
Speaker 2: No, I've never liked New Year's Eve. Okay, yeah, but I'm I'm I'm out in the open about that. But people will go out all over the place, they go out for New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: They do, they do.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying it's not that much. It's it's not secret garbage. It's out in the open garbage. It's a garbage can with no because people do it. People like it.
Speaker 1: Bottle service against New Year's Eve. I'm saying strong, sixtyed, maybe underseated, but I'm going to ride for New Year's Eve. I still think Bottle service has it beat. I think fewer people like Bottle Service than like New Year's Eve. Like I think, I think people are much more squarely like I think it's eighty twenty people don't like it, or I think New Year's Eve is closer to like sixty forty fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: We had our Fantasy Things Scoring podcast a while ago, and I caught a lot of crap for letting you push too hard on me.
Speaker 1: But nobody likes bottle service.
Speaker 2: I feel like there are a lot of people listening that like bottle service, but I'm going to give it to you. I'm going to agree with you on this front.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah you are.
Speaker 2: I'm going to agree with you on this front. Far more people like New Year's Eve than bottle service. I think that's objectively true. So because I think that fits the spirit. Because of that, I am willing to go ahead and give you New Year's here, New Year's Eve against Vegas.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. That hound's going to be a knockdown drag out.
Speaker 2: But on that note, Dan, you know what isn't secretly garbage?
Speaker 1: What's that time? How about getting a suit that fits? Oh I'm in that business. Did you get your suit yet for your wedding? I need that need. I have not gotten head tie? Are you Are you actually going to get married? I am going to get married. We are. Let's see two and a half months out.
Speaker 2: I've got time, geez man, get on it. Indo Chino here potentially an option for you. We had We had a gentleman right into us a couple months ago to cash in on this Indo Chino offer to not only buy a suit for him for his wedding, but also for everyone in his wedding party. Smart, very smart, It's a good deal. It's one of the largest made to measure men's wear brands out there. They make it easy for guys to get a great fitting, high quality suit and shirts at an incredible All you gotta do is this go to Indochino dot com, that's Ido Cchi n O dot com. Or you can go buy one of their nine North American showrooms. You pick from hundreds of fabrics and patterns, choose all the customizations you want, from lapels to pleats, the jacket linings, all the good stuff, and you submit your body measurements.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much. It so simple, so easy.
Speaker 2: Then you kick it your relax, you get ready to step into the best, most stylish suit you've ever worn. They'll get at TA in just four weeks, which is pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: This week, Soliverble listeners can get any premium Indo chinosuit for just three p eighty nine at Indochino dot com. You want to enter the code solid at checkout. That's a fifty percent savings off the regular price again for a made to measure premium suit. Plus the shipping is free. Indo Chino dot com promo code Solid any premium suit for just three eighty nine free shipping. Don't got to worry about badly fitting suits. Don't got to worry about expensive trips to the tailor ever again, Dan, Indo Chino, get ready to look like a million bucks?
Speaker 1: Do it now? It's a great deal.
Speaker 2: The West region is your number one seed against my number eight seed? Dan, who is your number one seed?
Speaker 1: I'm going with an entrant that is I feel unbeatable even by bottle surface. Don't make fun of my bottle service. My number one is social media. Ooh. People love social media. People have built careers, people have become wealthy, people have become famous because of social media. MySpace Shanngda, fancred, Friendster, Friends to Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter. Social media is largely garbage. Okay, why so Facebook is? Again? It's so at this point, I scroll through my Facebook feed and it's just it's babies and people yelling about politics, both sides of the baby. Twitter is you know, it's anonymous people harassing women and even like the harassment aside, Like if you sign up for Twitter and you're not like really really into anything, I don't understand how you get into Twitter at all. It's just a lot of people spewing garbage. Twitter is good for jokes. Twitter's good for goofs and occasionally meeting other civil and like minded people, but that is occasional. That is not often. Although we do have a sports media friend who met his wife on Twitter. I believe Yeah, okay, Twitter's garbage. It takes up way too much of people's times, myself included. Facebook is just a mess, and Instagram, you get it is good to learn on places like Instagram and snapchat. Which of your friends like film and stuff like pointing their cameras at whatever is happening in the world, and which of them just pointed at themselves and you're just like, oh, they really like themselves a lot. That is good to learn, right, But the actual value of all of these things is a minus. It's such a waste of time. Like if you pull back, like if you went on a trip right now, ty, and you went to Yosemite and you just didn't bring your phone out of where the tent or the tent cabin or wherever you're staying. You just didn't bring your phone. You and Kate and Mama h I know, not Uncle Joe because he's terrified of planes. But if you just went out and hiked, just talked, just looked around, you'd have your phone on you. You don't have anything to worry about. Your experience would be at least ten thousand times I would.
Speaker 2: Get the shakes without my phone. But that's a separate topic altogether.
Speaker 1: But after you got over those shakes, you would just like crack jokes talking about life. Okay, here's here's my counterpoint. Oh, by the way, follow us on a solid verbal and Facebook dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Yes please do Yeah. Social media brought us the ice bucket challenge. Was that annoying a little, but it did lead to a pretty significant breakthrough in als research. That wasn't a bad thing on the Twitter front. On the Twitter front, hold on, there are many folks such as myself. Twitter is our primary news source. I don't go to a lot of our sites anymore. Twitter is my is my primary news source. That is I think a solid application of the technology Social media, I think, when applied in the correct fashion, can be a really effective means of communicating with family and friends. So there's a lot of trashy components to it, but I don't think across the board it's as unanimously garbage as you're trying to get people to believe.
Speaker 1: I just well, so if consumed properly is the key raise there? Ty, I don't think it's consumed properly anymore. I'm the old man about it. I think it's garbage, I really do. So this could I think we were in a better place.
Speaker 2: This could potentially be a spot here for one of my play in winners to knock off social media.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I have two items here, one of which is mainstream, one of which you said isn't. I could not decide which one was my eight seeds, so I was hoping maybe we could do a play in game first, if that's okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, what do you have? So?
Speaker 2: The first one I have is The Night of which is okay a show on HBO that you said wasn't mainstream enough. I haven't seen a single second. I would contend that it's an HBO show. Therefore, it must be mainstream enough. But basically, if you haven't seen it, it was a TV show, a mini series they made sort of in hopes of riding on the coattails of the serial podcast. Mm hmm, but it's like they made a TV show without actually listening to the serial podcast.
Speaker 1: Like people loved it. It got rave reviews.
Speaker 2: I watched it like a time and a half, and I gotta be honest.
Speaker 1: It leaves a lot to be desired. It's just not as good as some point. When you say a time and a half you watched it all the way through one and a half times.
Speaker 2: I watched it the whole way through, and then I jumped back to a few key episodes to try and see if I could gather some details and missed the first time around.
Speaker 1: Because it truly like it, It left me yearning for more.
Speaker 2: It did get good reviews. People do like it. We had a submission of The Night Of a couple times on our form. I actually had it jotted down on our sheet long before anyone submitted it. So The Night Of, I feel like is it. It deserves some contention here. The other play in competitor I think is Kale because as you know it's it's all the rage. It's a super food, but it is a weed and it does taste like crap pretty much one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 1: I'm not a huge fan of kale. I gotta admit I think that that follows that's a strong contender, but he's pretty easily avoided. Did you know, I don't know if this is still current. Who the biggest kale buyer was in the country, and maybe until recently or perhaps still McDonald's which entity not McDonald's Pizza Hut Pizza Hut, because they would line as as decoration. They would line their their what's it called their lunch counters, their their buffets with kale. It was their garnish. They weren't surfing it as food tie. Yeah, that's what kale was. It was just garnish. I'm going to give this one to kill.
Speaker 2: Kale is big enough where it counts to knock off social media. The question is kale against social media? Social media is less of a fad than kale. It's been around long enough that it's not a fad. You've got social media companies that have gone to IPO and been on the stock market.
Speaker 1: Now stock exchanges for quite some time, hundreds of millions of people.
Speaker 2: They're making billions upon billions of dollars. It's obviously a profitable entity.
Speaker 1: Kal.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's moment in the sun has come and gone, like it's sort of in the process of being sunseted, primarily because it still tastes like crap. And I say that one hundred percent of the time. Social media you can apply in ways that makes sense to you personally, and it's not all bad.
Speaker 1: Kale always sucks. Yeah, but how many people eat kale as compared to how many people use social media and are burned by social media and whose lives are worse because of it. Do you ever see a group of like twelve year old somewhere just staring at their phones cyberbullying each other. It's the worst crap ever.
Speaker 2: At the risk of again being bullied, I'll go social media, send it through, I'll go social media.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have plenty of opportunities here bottom of this practice. I have some good ones. You're coming up. I have some good ones coming up. So I'm I'm not panicking yet. But you've won. You've won four in a row, now, Hell yeah, all right, Ty, I should have admitted this at the top. I am somebody that people like who is secret garbage, so I inherently have an advantage. People suggested you on our form. Did you see that? I know we got a couple, and I appreciate that. I mean, that's people are really thinking critically incorrectly.
Speaker 2: We should also point out that, as we alluded on our previous show, the solid verbal is the overall number one in.
Speaker 1: This secret garbage brat. Oh, it has to be. It has to be. All right, my number four, you're four against my five. My four is massage therapy. Dan, I'm going to take issue with this. You ever go for a massage? I have gotten massages. How what was that experience like for you? The last massage I got was of like a couple's spa thing that I got for the solid fiance for Valentine's eight birthday. I forget what. The celebration was at a nice place in New York. Did you enjoy it very much? I had some knots. I had some kinks. It was like like a steamy pooley area like where it was happening. And she did a wonderful job. She walked out I dropped trou I put a towel on and she hit what I needed ty. She oiled me up and I felt great. See.
Speaker 2: On one hand, there are obvious benefits to it, and it can be relaxing if you find a good massuse relieve some of that tension in your muscles. I get absolutely, But otherwise it feels a little bit like voodoo to me. I don't fully buy into it. It's it's comforting, it can be, but the overall experience around the massage is more what I find unnerving and secretly garbage. You know, you go in there, you gotta put the towel on, which isn't always the most comfortable of experiences. A lot of weird ambient noise, nature sounds, the rain sounds on like the rain sound generator in the corner. I don't hate it sometimes depending on the masseuse they give you sort of like weird commentariers. They're going through and feeling your muscles like I had a massage one time that I got as a gift, and I was creeped out because the woman doing the massage got to my neck and said, oh, it feels like there was a car crash up here. She wasn't wrong, but it creeped out a little bit. I feel like there is a creepy component to massage therapy for what you're paying and what you're getting and the unnerving components of it. I feel like this is a solid number four seed. A lot of people like it, A lot of people go to bat for it secretly, Secretly, I kind of think it's garbage.
Speaker 1: I've never done it again. I hear you what you're saying, Ty, I'm listening. I'm taking it in what I'm hearing subtext, you didn't get any HJS and you're a little bit bummed. That's not where I'm going with it. That's what I'm hearing. That's not where I'm go I think with it. I think if you went up to a random person on the streets and pulled them and said, do you have a positive feeling? Do you have a positive connotation with getting a massage? I would say eight point five out of ten would say yes, Which does you sort of play into the secret garbage element. But I can't imagine there are a lot of people that are avoiding massages because of towel uncomfort, discomfort.
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you if you've done it, there is definitely a part of.
Speaker 1: It that is just weird. Did you do the full nude? I did not do that. No, And it was you've only had a female masseuse a sewer? Yeah? No, uh. Entourage situation with Ken in Vegas. But okay, I don't know what that reference is. But okay, there was the castanza moved one too, right, right, right right? Who is your five seed? My number five seed is voice activated technology? Oh you dog, you don't. We're talking about like the Amazon Echo, Google Home Siri. I think there are some like cable companies that have this built into their remote controls now like iTunes, Apple TV and stuff like that, using those devices, using regular devices, using your phone. I sort of get the SII thing a little bit. If you're you know, your hands are full and you're just like or you're like taking a nap in your phone the other side of the room. You say, hey, Syriah, wake me up in thirty minutes. That's cool. You'll get no argument from me. But the whole thing of like, hey Alexa, what's the web they're in Tampa today? Hey Google, what color are zebras black or white? Like that is such large garbage. It's lazy, it's dumb, and you look so bad doing it in your home. I don't understand why they insist on doing these.
Speaker 2: I disagree. I disagree. I've got the Echo Dot. Nobody really needs voice activated technology.
Speaker 1: Let's leave it at that. Nobody can trul People with remote controls use it, and they already have a device to start things in their hands. There are aspects of it that absolutely fall into that category. The Echo Dot was also, nor was the Google Home created as the end all be all. It's very good for a limited spectrum of tasks, right if you want the weather, if you want to set a timer while you're in the kitchen, if you want to add something to a shopping list. Nobody truly needs any of the technology. You don't need it to get by. It's absolutely a first world problem. But as long as it's applied in a very very small scope in your life, I feel like it can be very applicable and not trash ty. I'm going to use you as a specific example because voice activated technology barely edged out a related a tangential item. Yeah, and that's wearable technology. Wearable technology, yeah, which I think is arguably even worse I've got, but I don't think I don't think people like it as much. I've got an Echo Dot and an Apple Watch, so I am I am well qualified to speak to both of these. So within twelve feet of your person right now, twenty feet of your person, whatever it is, you have three devices that can tell you very basic things. Right. It's like, if you want to know how what the temperature is, you can take out your phone. You can play with your wrist. I sing that and not sounding weird. Or you can yell at a machine that might be listening to all of this and getting insulted and reporting back to Yeah, definitely, it all seems like it's just a giant waste, paying one hundred and fifty dollars for it. I've got my Echo Dot hooked up to my lights. Oh well, thank god, you don't have to turn off your lights.
Speaker 2: I could turn off I can walk upstairs after I fall asleep in the couch, I could yell into my Echo Dot to turn off the lights downstairs, and it'll do it.
Speaker 1: Tyr, your muscles are gonna atrophy. This isn't like Wally.
Speaker 2: I'm not at the point where I mean the rocket ship and getting old and fat. All right, I'm just saying that there are some use cases for voice activated technology that make it not trash.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could just pick up your phone like and burn an eighth of a calorie calling the steakhouse to order bottle service. Just do that. I think the problem is you're just an old man. It's oh, it's entirely possible.
Speaker 2: Massage therapy against voice acting technology, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think. I think honestly, when I've seen I've been in apartments, I've been in houses where people have used this stuff, and I don't think it serves a purpose other than trying to impress people.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to impress anybody with it. I bought the Echo Dot for my entire family for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Do they use it? Yeah? Mom aide, she streams music on it. It's her best friend. I don't like it. I don't like it. It's listening, Tie, it's listening. It is listening.
Speaker 2: I like voice activated technology. I think it's better in this matchup. I think it's better in this capacity than massage therapy. I think the matchups are making your favor here.
Speaker 1: Make it five. I'm putting it through. I can't think I would be shocked. I swear I would be shocked if somebody tweeted us or emailed us. And I've been like, I'm totally with tie On massages. I want my Kinks, I want my us. They're my business that brings to the South region. Here, we're going way over time today. Apologians my number two seed. I'm trying to trying to break up this run that you've got going on. Yeah, I feel very good about my My next two picks here.
Speaker 2: My number two seed is the movie Avatar. Okay, have you seen the movie Avatar?
Speaker 1: Dan? Yeah, side in theaters and three D in Gilroy, California with West Coast Kevin.
Speaker 2: Avatar, according to box Office Mojo, made two point seven billion worldwide.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: The solid wife tells me they're making four more of them. Okay, it can be five Avatars, provided James Cameron doesn't die before they make all five. Because it's taken forever. Why do you want to go see any of them? Is my question? Why does anyone want to go see Avatar in the first place? What compelling pl point, storyline, anything, What makes you want to go see Avatar?
Speaker 1: Outside of the special effects. I don't know, just because everybody else was saying it. It was making a bunch of money and just sort of that's what I'm talking about, gain momentum, That's what I'm talking about. So people raved about Avatar. Oh you got to see Avatar? Why? I ask why?
Speaker 2: If you're going to see a movie solely because of special effects, there's no real difference between Avatar and Transformers.
Speaker 1: Very secretly garbage your move. Okay, well, shout out for an eight year old movie. It's been a while. I don't don't any mean my Avatar now, don't demean my picks. That's a good selection. I don't. But do people like in twenty seventeen, are we like at least with the Night of people are like into it at the moment? Are people into Avatar? Now? Like? Do you think this has withstood the test of time? And I know you're gonna say no, but I'm gonna say withstood the test time? And in terms of a conversation piece, it's still coming up in like popular culture. You could throw a rock and hit a story about Avatar too. How many people in your office could name a character from Avatar? That's kind of the point. That's kind of. Well, the point is, thank you, you got this point. I think it's more forgettable garbage. That's something that people like than well, I don't think people like it present tense.
Speaker 2: I think people were entertained by it. They were entertained by it, and it obviously is still a relevant talking point. It made almost three billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't I don't think that. Can you name a character from Avatar? I can't. I can't. So it's not it's not something that is you cannot sort of recall. That's that's correct. Yeah, okay, so it's not something that is on the tip of everybody's tongues. I don't feel like I feel like it's out and now garbage, secret, garbage.
Speaker 2: Avatar is my select There was no there was no time component to these selections, whether or not I'm culturally relevant in twenty seventeen, Avatar is my number two seat.
Speaker 1: Who is your number seven? Man? I'm feeling six in a row here because I'm going Chipotle here? Nah, I like Chipotle. I'm going Chipotle. What's wrong Chipot It's salty, it's huge, it's a long wait generally, and also you might get violent diarrhea that's once in a blue moon. Is that okay? I mean it's Mexican food, Mexican. I was just in Mexico City. I've always felt worse after eating Chipotle than I did after eating anything in Mexico City.
Speaker 2: The problem with this is that you're biased. You're biased towards better.
Speaker 1: No. But I like Chipotle. No. I like Chipotle competitors. I like places that are charging nine ten bucks for burrito that are chains. I just don't. I think Chipotle is garbage.
Speaker 2: We did get some submissions for Chipotle, yeah, Avatar. Well, and it's just the idea.
Speaker 1: So Chippotle has fallen into the category of people think and all credit because they talked about it last week on the Shutdown full cast. People think they're sort of eating healthy, not because if they're eating a burrito, but if they're eating like a brito bowl or they're having a salad, right, that's just covered in rice, the oatmeal cookie scenario, right, and it's good for you, right exactly. That's what Chipotle is. Where people feel like it's like they're eating fresh, they're eating responsibly, a responsible burrito. We soorce from this farm. Whatever you're not Okay, it's to have that gut bomb in the middle of the day. Just it's again, it goes back to my day ruining.
Speaker 2: But you can ruin your day eating all sorts of food, Dan, It's not just Chipotle.
Speaker 1: You can, but I think Chipotle specifically, like there's a certain instinct you have when you're handed a burrito to eat the whole burrito, and I'm I'm a dumb, dumb and I will do it, and I regret it every time, so I don't do it anymore. I think Chipotle is I think I think Chipotle more accurately represents this game than Avatar. I'm gonna go Avatar. Wow, I don't. I don't see it, TI, I don't say it. I'm not budgeting on this one.
Speaker 2: Dan, either either meet me where I'm standing or you get off this podcast.
Speaker 1: But if nobody can name a character an Avatar, that's kind of a point. It made two point seven billion dollars worldwide, and neither one of us can name a character. But the Secret Garbage Game is something that somebody that people like present tense.
Speaker 2: People did like it. They did like, well, that's not the presence. It made almost three billion dollars, so people must have liked it to some extent.
Speaker 1: I think your secret garbage because out in our garbage, that's what I'm gonna say. I'm writing Avatar down here. I don't care. You're just avoiding the al tie. I'm writing Avatar. I think it's a stronger selection. Okay, Chipotle isn't wrong. I'm just saying I think I'm closer to the spirit of this game that I made up. Okay, finally, who is your three Sea catchup? Okay? Ketchup quite simply is squiggly red sugar paste for children that was invented so five year olds would eat hamburgers and get some protein in their diets, and people eat them as grownups, and it's gross. If you like ketchup, just eat barbecue sauce. It's ketchup with like human seasoning. That sounded weird now that I hear myself say it seasoning that grown up should enjoy, maybe some pepper, maybe some garlic, maybe some worcestershire, some molasses.
Speaker 2: So what I think I'm hearing is that good barbecue sauce requires ketchup. It wouldn't be possible without the ketchup.
Speaker 1: Oh, most most barbecue sauce either has a vinegar or a tomato bas so. Yes, it is. It is quite similar. But if you're going to eat ketchup, eat barbecue sauce for something, for the much better version that's still a little similar ketchup by itself, you're just dipping fries and red sugar paste. See, you just don't like ketchup. No, because I am. I'm open to ketchup. I like American cheese, so I'm not against things that are sort of mass produced and cheap and sort of related to fast food. I think ketchup is just flavorless. I've always been a ketchup fin. I put it on almost everything. I put it on my cheeseburgers and my French fries. Sometimes I'll put it next to my omelet. When I was eight, I used to put yeah, yeah, god ty. It is the primary ingredient in a lot of really good bar Doesn't that sort of serve my point to some degree? For children?
Speaker 2: But it's very versatile. You can call it squiggly sugar paste if you want. It's very versatile just because it's an ingredient in barbecue sauce. As I make it good alone it doesn't make it good, but it makes barbecue sauce nearly impossible without it.
Speaker 1: But it's a children's treat, all right. My number six is camping. Do you ever go camping? Dan? I have been camping multiple times, many times? What was that like for you? Mix? It's mixed tie, sometimes good, sometimes it's not the greatest. I don't like it. I like roofs, I like running water, but I enjoy the camping, the sort of camaraderie, sort of sitting around a campfire and drinking. I like that. I like the idea of like not being on my phone, getting good night's sleep, maybe being near a lake.
Speaker 2: I just don't get it, you know, Like I've I've never professed to being outdoorsy. I don't necessarily live in the city, but I definitely relate more to a city than I do America.
Speaker 1: This is, by the way, the yankeest show we've ever done. That's right, thank you.
Speaker 2: I love a good hike through nature, and I have gone camping multiple times. I don't get it. It doesn't do it for me. What do you get out of camping outside of like smoke inhalation from the campfire and perhaps a tick or two and a little bit of camaraderie. I just don't I don't get it. You're never comfortable when you sleep, more often than not, you're cold.
Speaker 1: What's the point, Well, you get away from it all, Tie, I think that's the point. You sort of reboot. But can't you reboot somewhere else where you can get a good night. You can't reboot in like the backyard of a bar. No, because you're still checking your phone. You're checking Instagram, you're checking scores, you're half paying attention, you're hearing other people. Get the sounds of nature, Tie, you see some stars, you hears some running water, allergies. Yeah, good stuff, good stuff. Yeah, that's a good reminder. I will not be camping with the solid fiance.
Speaker 2: So here we are, final final matchup. Here, I feel like I need to get another one on the scoreboard here. Ketchup against camping is a difficult matchup.
Speaker 1: Do you think more people like or dislike camping than Ketchup? I think many more people like ketchup have a positive opinion of Ketchup than they do of camping, which is why I almost think mine fits better. Like I feel like it's just sort of split fifty to fifty either like camping or you don't. I'll give you ketchup. I'll give you ketchup. Damn. All right, So now we got to go back to the top here. Yeah, we got to go back to the top. We spent an hour talking about those nonsense. Yeah, the NFL against steakhouses. I'd probably the NFL. It's got to be the NFL. Right, steakhouses our garbage, But the NFL.
Speaker 2: The NFL is my eight hundred pound gorilla last Vegas against New Year's Eve?
Speaker 1: What is more popular and more garbage? E I would say it's got to be Vegas. I think it's Vegas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NFL against Vegas is going to be an interesting Raiders esque matchup here, But we'll get to that momentarily. Social media against voice activated technology.
Speaker 1: Social media, I think it's again. I think if we are going with the construct of what is more popular and to a higher degree of garbage, at the same time, I think it's social media. Avatar against Ketchup. You're going to argue hard for Ketchup, and I'm gonna argue hard for Avatar. Again, Avatar has does not in the present tense, have a place in polite society, an American society, and international society. It does not exist. Avatar is cinematic snapchat.
Speaker 2: Avatar is going to be coming out here again. It's a successful movie franchise.
Speaker 1: I'll bet you it makes under a billion dollars. That's going way over would be over under a billion domestically, domestically, domestically. You might be right. Domestically.
Speaker 2: You might have been right about it the first time too. Movies generally do like sixty percent of their revenue from overseas.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll say it's international under one point five no chance, no chance, absolutely absolutely. If someone's keeping track of this, I don't. We probably won't still be on the air in twenty thirty eight when they finally release the Avatar. But Avatar is It's completely ephemeral. It does not exist in the consciousness of anybody in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: I feel like it will in very short order. I still feel like it is a really solid answer.
Speaker 1: But under the construct of what is more popular is what is more popular and has a higher degree of trashiness as a film, Avatar is. It's okay, it's nothing special. I can't. I can't just because I'm not anti Ketchup. I don't think it's going to know you're not. But Avatar doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: This is basically a matchup of two things that we don't like.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. But you couldn't name a single character an avatar.
Speaker 2: That's kind of my point, secretly trash despite the two point seven billion dollars.
Speaker 1: If the game is something people like, it doesn't fit under that because you can't name a character, which, by the way, the lead character is Jake Sully. All right, take your ketchup, just take it. I'm taking my ketch I could.
Speaker 2: Keep fighting it, folks, I could keep fighting it, but he won't go away. And I don't want this to be a two hour show.
Speaker 1: I'm relentless. I believe in what I believe. I let's stick with it.
Speaker 2: Then Final four, West Region against South Regions, social Media against Ketchup.
Speaker 1: Social media. I think it's got to be social media. It's social media. Yeah. And then in the other final four pairing, we've got the NFL against Las Vegas. Okay, once again something a ton of people like that is a higher degree of garbage. It's probably the NFL. I would agree with you, because I don't think I think people just sort of have a concept of Vegas and like, hey, what happens in Vegas days? But I think the NFL is Well, here's the thing, though, at the same time, what is the better part of the NFL and the better part of Vegas that we all like? The better part of the NFL is talented football players and fun football games. The better part of Vegas is what exactly uh like? I feel like there's more positivity with the NFL than there is in Vegas.
Speaker 2: The NFL, though, is to use your argument against Avatar, the NFL is way more mainstream for most people. It's on on a Sunday. It's virtually unavoidable. If you don't want to go to Vegas, you don't have to.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying the garbage quality of the NFL is it more expansive than the garbage quality of Vegas.
Speaker 2: If you want to consider other factors of the NFL besides just you know what you see on.
Speaker 1: TV, if you want to experience, yeah.
Speaker 2: Not just the experience, but the way the league is run, the way the league has been crafted over the last decade or so, it paints a far more ominous picture than what you just might see watching on a Sunday. So I think there's more than meets the eye here to make it even more secretly garbage.
Speaker 1: But like that's all out in the open. People still love Vegas. We're a football show, so we should probably go NFL here. Then we're saying, Okay, the football entity is garbage. I'm saying the NFL, all right, So then the NFL against social media? Wow, huh. I'm definitely saying social media. Give me your pitch for social media. I think the garbage of social media has more wide ranging negative effects than the NFL. The people that the NFL negatively affects is far smaller in scope than social media. This is very difficult and seriousness. This is extremely difficult. By the way, I just had seriousness and my phone started asking me what I wanted because it sounded like me saying Siri, nah right, voice activation back into the championship.
Speaker 2: This is what we like to call a good old fashioned shootout, Dan, I think we uh. I think we can conclude here.
Speaker 1: Social media there it is. It really is garbage. That was painful. I feel like it brought us closer. I don't that was awful.
Speaker 2: You're a hardheaded, sob Man, Absolutely I am. I'm much more appliable with my arguments. Well see, okay, here's much more open minded than you are. Oh that's probably true. But like I have the submissions in front of me, and so like I think if you had gone with any number of these things, you would have had a much stronger case all over the place. If you had gone with Drake, I think you would have had a really good case against a lot of my entrance. By the way, you had Beyonce in your original list, which is madness.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Beyonce, by the way, was a multiple time submission through our form as well. That's true. It was to call it secret guard. To call Beyonce's secret garbage is a bridge too far. Beyonce is, It's madness, immensely talented. She's a fantastic artist, a great story. There is so much about Beyonce that is amazing. Where I guess I relate to this is that Beyonce's music for me is not quite the religious expence it seems to be for it.
Speaker 1: That's fine. A lot of the mainstream Beyonce fans out there, her recent stuff hasn't been my favorite, but that's Okay.
Speaker 2: It's not even a critique of the music, but just in general, I've never connected with Beyonce's music in the way that a lot of other people have. I don't feel the need to worship the product that she's putting forth in a similar capacity, so that that's the only reason why I would consider it. But that was that was a little too much for me, So I can't do that, right.
Speaker 1: I liked this submission a lot binge watching TV. I think that's a really good submission. No, I'm a fan. I'm a fan. I don't know. I do it and I like it, but at the same time, I feel kind of garbage you doing it. IPAs. I think it's a great IPAs is a good one. If you had gone times square, you would have probably beaten everything I put on the table other than catch other than excuse me social media. I was shocked you didn't.
Speaker 2: The solid wife wanted me to use Boba Fett from Star Wars, again very esoteric but not entire.
Speaker 1: Which she doesn't like. Boba Fett.
Speaker 2: Boba Fett the character with the Jim backpack and start what does Boba Fett do?
Speaker 1: Does Boba Fett talk?
Speaker 2: Boba FET's gonna get its own spin off in like twenty twenty two. What does Boba Fett even do in Star Wars?
Speaker 1: Isn't Boba Fett a bounty hunter? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But so what Boba Fett's done? Nothing interesting? Why is why is Boba Fett getting a movie?
Speaker 1: Oh, Boba Fette was in wasn't Boba and Empire strikes back? Boba Fett's been in a bunch of the movies. But that's just it. He's just been in the movies. He hasn't done anything of real consequence. Okay, We've got diet soda, which I think is pretty good, So that is a good one. Yeah, we got a few more IPAs, we got spring football, we got Emo, Saint Patrick's Day, a couple of avocados, which is just insane. Somebody we were going to play around with cake. We've talked about cake before already. I feel like that would not have been new territory. Uh, Shark Week. I did like Shark Week. I don't agree with Shark Week, but Shark Week is exactly the kind of answer we're looking for. Like, yes, in Stark contrast to coffee, which people sent in and many people rely on, I don't fully disagree that coffee is secretly garbage. However, it is very mainstream and something that many folks rely on to get jump started in the morning. Coffee might not be my favorite drink, but it's it's very much required for a lot of folks. Shark Week is so just sort of specialized and chinsey and kind of goofy that to throw it on this list, as I feel like, is exactly what we were looking for. So I like the idea of having a Shark Week. I like documentary shows about sharks. I think what they actually produce is not that good. It's not that interesting, and it's it doesn't hold my attention. Some of their Megalodon content was straight up made up? Was it true? Yes? Right again?
Speaker 2: These a lot of these things could be items that we genuinely enjoy.
Speaker 1: I like Ketchup. You like Chipotle on some level, right? I mean, actually, I don't think I do. No, I don't think I do. What on your list do you actually like? Because there are things on mine that I like. There are times that I've used voice activated technology and it's been good. You like social on the social media, oh, and like I will eat well at a steakhouse. I just think the experience is secretly garbage. And if it's like at a tailgate or something, I will day drink. Sure it goes really good with tailgating food. Here is my last entry out, my last team out of like the bubble team that didn't make it. In holiday specific candy, So we're talking Valentine's Day chocolates, Easter, the peeps and the cadberry eggs, The chocolate rabbits are fine. I don't celebrate Easter, so it's not all that relevant to me. Candy corn at Halloween, peppermint crap, Christmas time, holidays around then, I think it's all garbage. Just eat regular, good sweet dessert. Candy. Corn is garbage, I'll give you that. I'm not a Do you like peeps? Peeps are actually made, are made here in the good oldly have Alley listen, and I hope they employ a ton of people. I hope. I'm glad it's a successful industry there, but it is a garbage product.
Speaker 2: Have you ever eaten stale peeps? That's the way you gotta eat. You gotta eat stale. I don't need fresh, I don't eat melted. I don't eat frozen. I think they're they're gross all over them.
Speaker 1: I'm buying you a pack of peeps. I'm sending them up to New York. T do better.
Speaker 2: Remove, let them out in the open, let them get some air, breathe for a couple of days than trying now, different experience.
Speaker 1: Can't do it. I can't do it. Different experience. That's all I got, Ty. We'll talk about my bachelor party next time.
Speaker 2: This was a revealing episode. Undoubtedly the reviews here are going to be that you bullied me again. That's fine, and I'm not I'm not happy about that, Ty. You took so much crap for the Reess.
Speaker 1: I took a lot of crap for the Ree's pieces.
Speaker 2: I was complete pieces with buttercups or buttercups. Excuse me for mixing up Reese's pieces with what do they call cops, peanut butter cops, peanut butter cups. Yeah, yeah, I took a lot for that. I'm okay with individually wrapped pieces. I've never said I don't think anything we've done. We've gotten the reaction that you've got now, and good for you for standing in there and taking the sack.
Speaker 1: Gotta take it. Like a man taking the hit. Yeah. Yeah, and you had the power to edit that whole thing out now I didn't. I did good for you.
Speaker 2: I probably won't edit most of this out either. This is all staying in in state like a dead pope.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The show itself was secretly.
Speaker 2: Garbage, all right, but we appreciate, We appreciate everyone's submissions here.
Speaker 1: We hope you enjoyed the show along with us. Tell us where We're right or wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us where we're tell us where We're right and wrong. Solverable at gmail dot com. Also look for us on social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 1: We'll be there.
Speaker 2: We'll be here all off season. Next week we're doing the Verbies, so another uh interactivelem in of the solid verbal. We had folks nominate, we had folks vote. Next week we will reveal the winners, though not at Radio City Music Hall like we did last year.
Speaker 1: True solid Fance just got home. I very rarely record at home. I probably won't be able to convince her to come on at least not yet.
Speaker 2: Good show, Dan, Yeah, great times, Thank you again, learned a lot submissions. We appreciate you hanging in with us here for a longer than usual show. My name is ty Hildebrand. His name is Dan Rubinstein. We will catch you all in a wee space.
Speaker 1: Solid hey,