Speaker 1: Under cool, Catsol, Welcome back everybody, All ride. Tonight is one of those nights where I think that the game belt that the Yankees actually give out in the clubhouse and the Pinstripe Territory Belt will be in full alignment. Game one for George Lombard Jr. Is in the books. Game one as a Yankee for Heliott Ramos is in the books. Lombard had a pretty good game. Yankees win this one two to nothing.
Speaker 2: How wild is it?
Speaker 1: By the way, how unbelievable is it that George's brother, Jacob Lombard also made his professional debut tonight in single A and also hit a home run in his first IT bat. I mean, what can you say? George Lombard Junior hits a home run for his first major league hit. Welcome to the Bronx.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Judge's reaction on the bench was priceless. Judge also hit a home run for his first major league hit. His parents were at the game. They were going crazy. That was just that was wonderful. I'm not a parent. We have pets, right, we have cats and a dog. They will never play in the major leagues or the minor leagues.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: My dog Pepper is even too crazy to be a batdog. But I can't imagine the pride they just feel as human beings. You know, those those two are gonna go to bed tonight and just feel accomplished with the two kids that they brought up. And what they accomplished tonight unbelievable. And you know, Lombard made his presence known on both sides of the ball immediately terrific double play turned in the second inning, had to take about four or five steps to his right, picked a short hop, made an unbelievable throw it a second, just a pivot across his body, and then later on he got a short hop that he made for just a regular out that was a tougher play than it looked like.
Speaker 2: And then he turned a six six to three double play. We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense. What a job.
Speaker 1: One thing that's obvious about Lombard just from watching him is the level of arm strength is just different from either Vopie or cabal Row.
Speaker 2: And that's not to insult those guys.
Speaker 1: Volpe we've always known has had a second baseman's arm, and Cawbay Arrow's got a decent arm, but it's not on Lombard's level. He does effortlessly what a lot of guys have to do at max effort, getting the ball across the diamond with velocity and offensively. He grounded out in his first at bat. I thought he got pitched really tough in his first at bat. The first pitch that he saw was off the plate. But you're going to challenge the first pitch you in the major leagues because if you get it wrong, you'll never hear the end of it. Second strike was a challenge that was initially a ball, got called a strike after the or overturned to a strike, so it was just a.
Speaker 2: Tough at bat. His next at bat, he battled.
Speaker 1: He got a hanging curveball and he deposited it. We chose that number one.
Speaker 2: He also drew a walk.
Speaker 1: Second Yankee ever to have a home run and a walk in their first game, and he's the first Yankee shortstop to ever hit a home run in his first game. He did it, and we got a lot of people in the chat that are very excited, totally different vibe than we had in here yesterday. Smash your pass as the announcers said it best. Lombard just had such soft hands. He truly looked like he didn't break a sweat, and for the first time in years, neither did smash or pass hit the chi super chat. I think we can take a look at the scorebug now lost in all of the Lombard Show, and discussion will be how well Ryan Weathers pitched. He picked up win number five on the season. I'll break it down later, but six fantastic shutout innings, scattered four hits, walked one, and struck out six lowered his season ERA to three point seventy nine.
Speaker 3: David Bednar, He's got titanium nuts.
Speaker 1: Continues to pitch well, twenty five saves now and a two point five to four ERA, and he had to do it by getting out of a tough spot. Jazz Chisholm hit home run number seventeen on the season. He went one for three cards loaded the bases in the top of the eighth, but Bednar just squeaked out of it and the Yankees hang on to win win number sixty four on the season. Let's take a look at the good, the bad, and the ugly. Trent Grisham one for Fortnite. He did hit one really hard into the right field corner. A couple of walks for Ben Rice. He looks a little bit gassed. Luis Garcia hit a rope. He's had a good series so far with three hits. Ramos took the collar in his first game. Spencer Jones took the collar in his well. I guess what fiftieth game, so I don't know. Jazz Chisholm with the home run. Ryan McMahon had a knock. George Lombard Junior one for two with a homer and a walk and a run scored. Austin Wells zero for two, Paul Goldschmidt bounced into a double play, and Ali Sanchez did squat and then on the Cardinals side. Really not a lot. I mean they had a slow night. Yvon Herrera had a hit, Nelson Velasquez had a hit. Mason win their shortstop, had a hit. Nathan Church had a hit. Blaze Jordan, who hit that five hundred foot home run on YouTube that I've watched a million times when he was thirteen years old, he had a hit. I'm rooting for that kid. I always root for the YouTube stars, for Bryce Harper, I'm room for Blaze Jordan. But that is the good, the bad, and the ugly. Clarkster says, iron Ball's bad Nar closes it again. Great seconds start in a row, Weather's Lombard first home run and great defense. Lombard should get the belt. I think we'll find out rather soon. Let's get to the nitty gritty. So McMahon made a very nice play ranging to his left in the first inning. Yankees got him at the trade deadline last year, a little bit before the deadline, and he's played one hundred and forty seven games now with the Yankees, basically what you would call a full season if you had one short il trip or maybe some days off. So far, he's accumulated just one point three war, one point one of which was last season. Entering tonight, hitting two ten with fourteen home runs and forty five RBIs. But the defense has been short up right, remember how bad our defense was at third base? He has terrific over there and nice play tonight. Baseball has been flying the last couple of days. Jazz Chisholm got the Yankees on the board. League kills the building up along no doubter. Good backflip you know I've been watching baseball. I have been watching baseball since nineteen eighty seven, and I'm telling you, the best camera shot in the sport is when someone hits a no doubt home run from the side. You see the crowd go nuts, get on their feet, You see the dugout react, the whole bench explodes while the ball is rising. You see one or two fans go crazy because they realize it right away. There's always somebody who's looking on their phone or eating popcorn or stuff in their face and they're like, whoo, that's the best shot in sports. There is, so there's so much, many fun things to look at. Everybody's different reactions, the hitter, the teammates, the manager, the catcher just usually lift in their mask up. Someone spills a beer, someone else throws popcorn. I love that camera shot. And tonight the camera shot, if you haven't seen it, of Jazz hitting that home run was great. Also, the Lombard home run reaction was fantastic. Tricky play for Elliott Ramos. Elliot Ramos who went over tonight, there was a line dry slicing to left field and it kind of tricked him in the lights a little bit. But he ended up making the catch, kind of dealt with it. Kind of looked like Jason Dimingas out there for a second. Got kind of similar build to Jason Dimingaz too. I initially said he was fat because I looked at five eleven two thirty five. I hadn't really watched him play that closely. He's actually pretty strong. He's pretty solid, but over four in his debut. I like his smile, I like his attitude. I think he's he's gonna be a fan favorite once he gets going. We were a little tough on him yesterday because Brian Cashman didn't address any of the other needs. We probably took it out on him a little bit hard. But good luck to Elliott Ramos and again fantastic job by Ryan Weather's big game for George Lombard. Yankees win this one.
Speaker 2: Oh game over Yankees win.
Speaker 1: Yanky Jim three four one seven says that Lombard reminds him of a young A Rod.
Speaker 2: After one game. I get what you mean.
Speaker 1: He's tall and lanky and athletic. A Rod, remember, though, got called up at eighteen years old, so basically three years younger than Lombard is now to me, he looks a little bit like Carlos Korea. Not only like athletically, but his face looks a little bit like Carlos Korea. Uh And I would take a young Carlos care. He seems like he's a good kid, a much better kid than Carlos Korea.
Speaker 2: Uh No, Carlos Cary is fine.
Speaker 1: But I'm loving what we're seeing from from Lombard so far. Belt, in his first game as the Gang switch hitting daily says something says, no more Voltpy. My prayers have been answered, well, John, George Lombard definitely didn't enough to earn himself another start tomorrow night. There will be riots in the streets of New York if he benches George Lombard Junior tomorrow for anything short of an amputation. George Lombard Junior better be in there smooth as silk, Smooth as silk in the field, and a little bit of pop in the bat, and I'll be interested to see over time. You know how the league adjusts to him. You know, a lot of guys start off really good and then they'll hit a little bit of a slump, and then if he's able to adjust back, we're still a long way from all of this playing out, but we'll see what kind of start he gets off to. Obviously a good night tonight, but after ten games or so, you'll see the league start to have a book on him, and you'll see them start to pitch him certain ways, and then he might hit a little bit of a slide and then hopefully he can turn it around. One good thing about tonight no strikeouts, no strikeouts, and he was patient at the plate. Very good night for George Lombard Junior. And also we have got to give an honorable mention to tonight's starting pitcher, Ryan Weathers, who was tremendous tonight. Six shutout innings and he was in control. That's the adjective that comes to mind when I think about what he did tonight. He was in control, only eighty eight pitches to complete six innings. He attacked hitters with strikes early in the count, and he had fifteen first pitch strikes out of twenty one hitters. I believe topped out at ninety six point two. He was sitting ninety four to ninety five, so the velocity was fine. It wasn't his best fastball of the year, but it was fine. Only had eight whiffs. He's had many more than that, but he kept the baseball in the ballpark. Obviously, he scattered four hits, he had one walk, and he just looked like he was confidently shoving, which is what he did his last time out too. Take a look at Ryan Weathers numbers overall on the season, and it's taken a second two pop up.
Speaker 2: But here we go.
Speaker 1: So far this year, one hundred and thirty two strikeouts and one hundred and twenty one innings. That is nine point eight strikeouts per nine. He's got a three point seven to ninety RA. He's already made twenty two starts. And remember this was a guy who was injured a lot, so he really hasn't thrown deep into seasons very often. And in his last five games two to zero. In his last twenty eight and two thirds innings pitched with twenty eight strikeouts and a two point two zero ERA. Hell of a performance by Ryan Weathers. Okay, let's get to the game breakdown. We've got a couple more super chats coming in. Let's see here. Analysis says Lombard is a breadth of fresh air. He passed the eye test big time. Love Garcia too. Yeah, I've got to talk more about Garcia in just a few minutes because he has been impressive. His bat speed is really really good. I think he's somebody who can hit lefties. I just think he hasn't hit lefties yet. In fact, let's put Garcia's numbers on the screen here real quick and then we'll get to the breakdown. So Garcia tonight went one for four, but he's a two eighty five hitter and an eight seventy eight ops. He's gonna do some damage. He absolutely will do some damage. And I think he's somebody that you can teach to hit left handers because his swing is level. So all if you have a level swing, it's a lot easier to hit left because all you got to do is keep that front shoulder in and then you can just take that pitch the other way right. That's what Don Mattingly did so well. That's what Ben Rice does well when he's hitting. That's what Cody Bellinger does. You level out the swing and you take that pitch from the lefty the other way. If you're pulling off and trying to pull everything into right field, you're gonna swing over that pitch that down and away slider and so forth. So I think he's got potential to be a complete hitter. Having watched him a couple of times, now I wish I had seen him more.
Speaker 2: I'm impressed.
Speaker 1: Five hits for the Yankees tonight. Not ideal, two home runs, three walks, another home run or nothing game, but they win. So when they win, you take it. You'd prefer they string some more rallies together. You know today over four with runners in scoring position. They hit twelve ground balls tonight, so a lot of balls on the ground. Their pitchers struck out ten Saint Louis Cardinals tonight, and the strikes were solid sixty five percent of pitches tonight. We're strikes from the Yankees, one hundred and seven points seven off the bat from Trent Grisham for the hardest exit velo of the night and David Bednar with the top pitch speed at ninety seven point one. You take a look at the division snapshot here, it looks like the Rays lost or are losing to the Rockies seven to five in the bottom of the fourth inning. So the Yankees have a chance to pick up a game Red Sox. I mean they are unbelievable. Fourteen to two right now, looks like that one just wrapped up, and the Astros six to two over the Blue Jays. Orioles beat the Angels three to one. So with the rubber game tomorrow, let's see how we are doing in the series, all right, So we'll take a look at the notables. Grisham has three hits in the series. Garcia is three for eight in the series. Ryan McMahon has three hits in the series. Austin Wells obviously had a good night last night. Weathers and Schlitler. One of these is not like the other. Ryan Weathers dominated, camp Schuler had a tough, tough game. Bednar already three ks, and Fernando Cruz had a couple of strikeouts. Will take a look at the two starting pitchers. Obviously, Ryan Weather's much better six shutout innings and camp Schlitzler gave up four earned and walked five. The penn has been mostly solid, aside from Anhel Chevilly who is now in triple A, and on the home run side, the ball has been flying. Garcia with a home run, McMahon with homerun These are sorted by distance, so Garcia's home run went four hundred and twenty four, McMahon for ten, cab iiro four hundred, Chisholm three ninety seven, Wells three ninety four. Lombard's first home run tonight went three ninety two, and then Trent Grisham hit won three point fifty five. Needs to hit that weight room, but uh, that's where we're at. Game three will be tomorrow as the Yankees will try and take the series and Will Warren we'll be on the mound looking for win number nine that would match his total from last season. Andre Polante eleven and six with a three point seven to two era will go for the Cardinals. Okay, We've got some voicemails coming in. I've got to pay the light bill real quick. This this freaking studio is expensive to run. Gonna pay the light bill real quick and then I'll be back to take some voicemails back in sixty second.
Speaker 4: It's the summer time, AJ and this is a time to feel free wild, make some phone calls that you're overdue for, and also get some deals that you should be getting that you deserve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it couldn't be any easier, though. It's just one price for unlimited talk, text, and data. It's really simple. It is one price for all the data and all the phone calls you could want per month. It's simple, that's right.
Speaker 4: All of mint Mobile's plans are fifteen bucks a month with the summer sale even unlimited. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory to cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 4: There's no catch up front payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen bucks per month, equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes, may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, availability, speed and coverage. Farries cee mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, so it looks like the Rays were actually up five to one in that game and they blew the lead.
Speaker 2: So tough night for the Rays. Here's the first call.
Speaker 7: Hey Derek, it's Mariville.
Speaker 6: Of course, I have to call tonight.
Speaker 7: You know what, this is a very nice night to be a Yankee fan. No complaints, I mean obvious Lombard, oh my god, the plays he's already made, who cares if he falls down? And hitting a home run, oh man, it's a dream come true for him him and now as a fan, it's just great. And then this is gonna see your kid at first base. He hits the ball, he's not swinging missing that guy. His last at back there must have been eight pitches that he was hitting off. So that's a good thing too. So let's just I know you will be just so happy to have your show tonight and to talk about the hopes and dreams of Yankee fans.
Speaker 1: All right, don hi appreciate the call, Mary Beth, the hopes and dreams.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm happy.
Speaker 1: I'm happy with the win, and if the Rays lose, I will be even happier.
Speaker 3: Here's Danny Kenny from Kelly two nineteen eighty. What a game from B. Lombard Junior. My question to you is, even though it's been a shit show type of year, if Boone could weather the storm and we get healthy again and we win the American League, and represent the American League in the World Series. Even if we lose, with all the shit he's been through and all the ship we've given him, and usually it's.
Speaker 8: A righteous I mean, usually it's stupid.
Speaker 9: Tod that he does.
Speaker 3: I get all that.
Speaker 8: But if he weathers the storm and somehow comes through and we do represent the American League in the World Series and he wins manager in the year, you think that would give him his He told you are a manager for as long as you wanted to.
Speaker 1: You know, it would be like when Spielberg made Jaws. He can just do whatever he wants at that point. Look, that's a lot of ifs. You know, if the Yankees can weather the storm, if they can win the division.
Speaker 2: If they can win the American League.
Speaker 1: How about let's just see how they do over these final couple of months, all right, let's just see how they how they finish this off, hed Derek, this is Jackson.
Speaker 5: First time caller from Florida.
Speaker 9: All I have to say tonight is Anthony Volpi, you are now a Shanghai Shark. That is all. Good night.
Speaker 2: I should have listened to that before where I uh, before I played it?
Speaker 1: Shang Eye Shark. You almost made me do an actual spit take. And this equipment is very sensitive electronics. I should not be spitting Canada dry ginger ale all over it.
Speaker 6: Here's another call about thirty minutes before game time. I hit a tank with the new Lombard card on MLB the show in the exact same spot he just hit his first tank, so I feel like I should probably get the belt to thank.
Speaker 2: You appreciate the car.
Speaker 9: Here's Kayden Hede there. This is Caden down from Tennessee. A couple of tanks here. Lombard looks really good with the glove, which is I'm very excited about that, and that this other idea has I don't know if I really like it, but maybe uh Ben Rice might could use a tin day aisle trip just to recover. He looked beat up, but I'm hoping he gets out of the swamp. That's really what we need.
Speaker 2: Well, right, thank you.
Speaker 1: I think that he's just been carrying a lot of the attention for the Yankees lately, uh And I don't mean like from fans and from media and the pressure of guys being out. I mean that pitchers are pitching him much tougher because there's nobody around him protecting him. Lately, it's been Ben Rice and eight nobody's essentially. And so now that you're you've got Garcia in the lineup, maybe Lombard is somebody who can do some damage. You know. Bellinger sounds like he could be back sooner rather than later. That could change things, you know, that could cause him to get more pitches, and just a tougher lineup in general could help. I still don't know if Stanton is ever going to walk again.
Speaker 8: You ain't got no legs lutin day.
Speaker 1: No he he he was out there jogging today. I don't know when he's gonna come back. Tip when he does come back, it takes a while for him to heat up, and he wasn't exactly tearing the cover off the ball when.
Speaker 2: He went down.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm thinking that he's probably only gonna play DH against lefties. He's gonna DH against lefties. Garcia is gonna DCH against righty's, and that's how they're gonna have to roll going forward. Judge, we have not heard much about the Yankees are playing this one close to the vest. It could be that he's out for the season. They don't want to obviously depressed ticket sales. I get that, but hopefully we get him back soon. All right, guys, one more time from John Sterling.
Speaker 2: Name over Yankees wins.
Speaker 8: Yank.
Speaker 1: A final comment to the night says, kid looks totally comfortable out there. I believe we found our shortstop. That's right, I said it, and I agree. He looks comfortable and he looks like he's made to wear pinstripes, ladies and gentlemen. Summer of George continues tomorrow. I just made a Summer of George t shirt that I put on nyy Designs dot shop. It's also on coffee mugs and so forth. So if you're a fan, go check it out nyy Designs dot Shop.
Speaker 2: I'll see you tomorrow. Hey, thanks for watching.
Speaker 1: If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store nyy Designs dot Shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well and give us five stars if you don't mind.
Speaker 2: If we earned it. We'll see you next time.