Speaker 1: Very athletic, very polished pitcher, unlike a lot of guys that are getting called up now, guys who are just grunt and snort and throw the ball as hard as they can.
Speaker 2: We're gearing up for the twenty twenty five season, going team by team. Now, we've got the Phillies for you. So four storylines will crack them right now. October Offense, Hello, Phillies. Bats disappeared in back to back postseasons, including a super high chase rate in last year's NLDS. Andrew Painter's debut could be coming soon, maybe mid season July ish. Alec Boem is back in Philadelphia after many thought he would be traded. How's that going to look? And then the outfield upgrade? What is it enough to just go after Max Kepler? Did they need to switch things up a little bit more?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Let's start Kratz with the storyline that stands out to me the most, because the Phillies clearly have been a really good regular season team, and they've done some pretty good thing in the playoffs the last several years, but they can't get this club to go the distance. And when you look at the team on paper, I feel like It's the kind of team that ten plus years from now we're going to look at and be like, how the hell did that roster of players not win a World Series? So how can they figure this outcome playoff time? Because we know they're going to make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's as big of an issue as we make it out to be. We had Max Munsey on talking about i think earlier this year, talking about how they needed to make changes going into the postseason. Reddy Is We were talking about Max Munsey's team kind of blowing it not and not scoring runs for two or three games. You know, it's still a short series that they just lost this year, But going back to the last two games the previous season in the NLCS when they couldn't finish the Diamondbacks off like they had issues. They had issues. And the biggest thing for me is the chase rate. And that chase rate was at like thirty one point eight percent or something that it said, And that's really hot, but it's also a product of a really small sample size. So do you believe that they just choke or they don't show up, or do they just batter worse pitching during the season, and then when they face somebody good, they don't hit them well. And in the postseason you're only facing the best pitchers. To me, I think it was a combination of both. I think something that they understand they need to make the adjustment to. But I also think, you know what if one of the games the Shadows were bad. Now all of a sudden, they're taking one or two games and it's tough for either team to hit. They came out on the wrong end of it. They faced a hot Mets team. To me, I don't think there's as much to change. And maybe I'm a Phillies apologist for saying that, but I don't think it's as much as is made out that it is.
Speaker 3: They got beat. They weren't. They got beat. What else is there to say they got beat?
Speaker 2: Ye want to know why you were there?
Speaker 3: They had They had a three to one lead against the Diamondbacks lost right that. The Diamondbacks made a script flip when they started throwing them a lot of breaking balls. The Mets last year were just hot and they just lost. Now you can blame the layoff from him, You can blame whatever you want to blame for the Phillies reason. But they didn't hit enough, obviously, and they're pitching other than Wheeler wasn't great and Nola wasn't great. Now they played a division foe, so maybe they knew them, but their bullpen, they were counting on Hoffman and some of these other guys to come in and who were really good for him in the regular season, didn't get it done. Kirkering, Hoffman, all these guys didn't get it done. In Steave has gave up the Grand Slam, right, the Big Grand Slam to Lindor. He didn't get it done. So was it just familiarity because they played the Mets. I don't know, but the Mets were on fire when they played him, after having beat the Brewers the way they beat them, they just rode that wave into Philadelphia. Wheeler went out shoved game one and you're like, oh, this could be a short series. Then the next three games, the mess just outplayed them. Defensively, They played unbelievable nothing the Phillies could do there. But you know, Schwarber didn't hit other than really Harper and Castiano, the rest of the lineup did not hit at all, so they got to figure out a way to hit. Why I don't know, but they just didn't hit. It was those two guys and the rest of the lineup was not good.
Speaker 2: So if they can hit, let's get to the second storyline. Maybe they can amp up the run prevention even more with an even more dangerous starting rotation. And I think it's got the potential to do that. They acquired Hajesuslizardo. But also, in my mind, the top pitching prospect in the sport is Andrew Painter. It's him or Jackson Job. Job's obviously gonna spend some time in the bigs with the Tigers two. They're both awesome. They're pretty different looking pitchers. But Painter is this tall glass of water with all kinds of command and control. Already good, you know, good with the glove too. Already I've watched him make some nice defensive place, you know, on comebackers. What I'm just saying, like it is.
Speaker 1: That's that's two days. That's two days in a row. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Aj His face got me. Scott's talked about a really good defensive pitcher. Who cares? I think you said about Martin Perez, who cares? That's not solidifying your defense.
Speaker 2: Mark Burley?
Speaker 1: So what Mark Burley was really good because he threw two hundred innings and he threw strikes for like fourteen seasons. Could he field his physician? Absolutely? He was great. A good field a j tell me if I'm wrong, But a good fielding pitcher means like this much to me? Yeah? Nothing?
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 3: It mattered more when there was bunting. Nobody bunts anymore, So what does it matter teams like? Imagine John Lester was an awful fielding pitcher, but he was still pretty good, wasn't he?
Speaker 1: Teams?
Speaker 2: Teams run? He holds runners well with his pickoff move, And then you guys didn't let me do you know?
Speaker 1: How do you know Andrew Payner holds runners well? We've never seen a pitch in a big league game.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry that I watched some minor league video and read scouting reports on Baseballamerica dot com. Upper nineties. Two good breakers developing a change up that probably will work out for him because everything else he's developed has looked good. Sorry for laying out the scouting report. I will go back to my layer and just say Andrew Painter good at ball krats go when we see.
Speaker 1: Andrew Paynter is good.
Speaker 3: But Andrew Paynter also already had one Tommy John.
Speaker 2: So what I don't care about him in twenty eighty nine, I care about him in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: That doesn't matter. That doesn't matter for this year. We're talking about the twenty twenty five season. To me, all that all that Scott was saying from Baseball America was something that I could see. I watched seven innings of him pitching. It was all Arizona Fall League innings. He is a very athletic, very polished pitcher, unlike a lot of guys that are getting called up now, guys who are just grunt and snort and throw the ball as hard as they can. He has the body that you would look at if you're a scout, that you're like, whoa, that is a repeatable delivery with such a tall, long body. He has a frame that he can go into. Again, that doesn't really matter much for twenty twenty five, but if he can continue his command that he has had in the minor leagues, he's going to be able to step into this rotation that's already legit, but it's gonna need some help. I mean, Hazus Lizardo didn't throw a lot of innings. You can't expect two hundred innings from him like you're gonna get from Wheeler and Nola and Ranger and Christopher Sanchez like guys, they'll throw over one hundred and sixty innings, so you'll need them. And you know what, if he throws strikes, maybe you can slid them into a bullpen by September and October.
Speaker 2: And there you go. The goal of winning one nothing games in October could become a reality for the Phillies. We got two more storylines to hit in the next few minutes here on the Philadelphia Phillies. Let's keep it rolling. Two more to go, BOMs bounce back, and do we feel good about the outfield. Let's start with Alec Bohm aircrats. Did you think he was going to be traded? And how will he be with this club when his name was popping up in trade rumors? Motivation, chip on shoulder, status or things are awkward.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're motivated on top of having ninety seven RBIs in a one point seventeen ops plus with a down second half, yeah, there's some motivation being traded, whether I thought he was gonna be traded or not. If he got traded, oh man, they would have gotten a Hall because their team control. There is the fact that he has improved on defense, and again ninety seven stakes just doesn't grow on trees. I didn't see it. I didn't see all this like Philly talk about oh Manuel, everybody's moving here. Could he have gone in the Tucker deal? That would have been a monster trade. So yeah, he could have. Does he bounce back if the question is his maturity needed to get amped up a little bit? Hey, you know what, anytime you get put in your place. He got benched in the beginning of the playoffs like that is probably more hurtful than trade speculations. I think he's gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: I think he goes back there, and knowing what I know about the Phillies clubhouse, they will embrace him.
Speaker 1: They'll bring him in and they'll say, listen.
Speaker 3: Dude, go shut all these people up talking about you, like Eric Kratz and show him how good you can be and what you've done before. I mean, that's it. I think he'll be fine. I think he's in the perfect situation. In the perfect clubhouse to have guys say we got your back, bro go out and play and do what you did last year.
Speaker 2: And I would say the Phillies are probably the second most popular team among players when they talk about atmospheres they want to be around. Dodgers get number one in the powering right now. Someone on our show the other day said, hey, a lot of people would love to be with the Phillies. Jack Flarerity, that's right, Jack Flaherty said, Okay, last topic, last big storyline for the Phillies. They did a little work, a little maintenance, will touch up on the outfield. Do we feel like they're in a good spot now? Aj Do you like Max Kepler added to the mix here? I mean, this should be a nice ballpark for him to smash if he can stay on the field.
Speaker 3: What's what's his position? I mean, what's his role gonna be? Because you have you know Castillanos, you have is Rojas going to play center field? Where's he gonna play? Because he was not a great outfielder. He's a good outfielder, not a great outfielder. So I just want to see where he hits in this lineup there they've already you know, when does he get his playing time? How much does he get to play? Because he can be effective when healthy. I hate using the win healthy, but right now we have to because Max Kupper, when he's good with the twins and healthy, he was productive. He just had a lot of time that he missed, whether his fault or not. But I need to see him healthy, and if he is, he can definitely help these Phillies.
Speaker 2: He's gonna play left field, even though he's only played right field the last several years. I feel like he can handle it. But that's going to be the spot for him, right Kratz, because Schwarber clogs up the DH and then Castianos plays right, and then you've got left field Kepler, who should be fine, and then it's Rojas and Marsh handling center fields. Do you feel good about that outfield mix because productivity wise, in terms of war and defense and all that, it did not greade out well the outfield last year.
Speaker 1: No it didn't. I mean, I think you have elite defense in center field if Rojas is your guy. I think this really all hinges on Brandon Marsh. What kind of leash are they going to give him? Will he get to face lefties more than forty seven times. He had forty seven late appearances against lefties. So the answer probably know they're saying, no, he can't do it. To me, I think they should let him, and I think he could slide over. If Max Kepler starts to have a good year, he could slide over to center field and take care of some of that offense that Rojas doesn't give you necessarily. But then you bring Rojas in as a defensive replacement kind of in the ilk of like you know, a twenty fourteen Royals, the team I played on bringing girod Dyson that type of thing. We're getting into the weeds too much with it. To me, I think Max Kepler is a good pick up. They've tried right handers out there, they've tried right handed hitters other years. Now they might go with like a marsh Kepler type of thing. And then Wes Wilson's also going to get some opportunities when they face lefty. So they're gonna be fine. They're gonna be good. Are they better? That's too hard to say, Wes Wilson.
Speaker 3: Listen, Wes Wilson's going to have a hard time making this team with the way it's constructed right now, because where's he gonna play. He's not playing the outfield above those other five guys you just needed.
Speaker 2: He's playing super utility bench poor guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's He's the right handed bat off.
Speaker 3: Every day, right day. So Kepler Marsh Wilson. Yeah, I don't know. I I just feel like, I feel like, if you're sign Max Kelper, he's got to play every day.
Speaker 1: Just just my opinion. Okay, So if that's the case, then I push then I push Marsh out. But I don't know that Kepler can play center field because then you're not you're not playing the issues, You're not playing Marsh against lefties. That's that's what happened last year. Okay, I don't know. I'm just no, I hear you. But I think Wes Wilson, they feel like Wes Wilson will give them something more than what because he's not playing first base. He's just that right handed bat off the bench, and I think they're gonna give him some shots out and left, especially with what he did. He's killed it since he's been up.
Speaker 2: There, and they might have the best rotation in baseball. I would say Phillies, maybe Diamondbacks, depending on if things, you know, look okay. And obviously, oh damn, there's some good rotations. Mariners and Rodgers have sick rotation, but I just get worried about the innings there, all right. So anyway, I hope you enjoyed the Phillies storylines. If you want more on the Phillies, we've got multiple episodes per week on The Philly Show. It's part of the Foul Territory Network. You can catch it wherever you get your podcast if you want to listen in the car. If you want to watch it, go to their YouTube channel. It's Todd z A Leaky and Jim Salisbury who are as dialed in on the team as anyone, and then Rubin Tomorrow, who ran the team at one point, the former GM and former player. Thanks that ft fam