Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Scott Patterson, I am on.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, don't you want to tell people?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't not even start over you.
Speaker 1: I have a temporary tooth in here. I had oral surgery yesterday. I'm on on medication so I can barely speak, think, keep my eyes open. But I'm doing this podcast. Lucky, lucky, y'all. It might be funny, but one eleven Productions brings you this and iHeart Radio and media and podcasts and all that stuff. And here the girls, Suzanne and Sarah Danielle and.
Speaker 4: A beam no Interpid crew this week, here's everyone else.
Speaker 2: I'm just it's gonna be so good. You guys forgive him. He truly had surgery. Yeah, yeah, he didn't hit the bar. He didn't hit the bar before he came to the.
Speaker 1: Said yesterday, I had a tooth taken out and they put an implant in as well. So now and then I've kind of I've got I got a tooth replaceable too. I can take it in. Yeah, but that's just that's just for ten weeks until they get the permanent crime.
Speaker 2: My mom had to have that. Yeah, you have to do it like three you go three times or something.
Speaker 4: Ten weeks is a long time.
Speaker 1: Ten weeks to make the thing. Yeah, but anyway, so funny story, I did a I woke up after I got home. I crashed for a couple of hours, and I woke up and I was like, there was I don't want to gross anybody up, but there was. There's blood coming out of my mouth. So it's a streak of blood across my and then on my shoulder and on my pillow. And I woke up and my assistant Elaine texted me and said, this cameo is expiring in like thirty do I did it in that state and I and I hit send and she you caught it. And she's like, she texted me this morning. She goes, I hope you don't get mad. But I got with the cameo. People said you got to take that down. That can't be published because he's like way out of it man, And I said, well, send me the video. So she sent me the video. It's the funniest thing.
Speaker 5: You please post it?
Speaker 2: Can we please post it on Instagram? Please?
Speaker 1: No? I think it's I think that kind of thing is tantamount to, like, you know, showing your junk on.
Speaker 5: You do not want that to fall into the wrong hands.
Speaker 1: Wait, so that's not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did they get it or did it make it to them?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: Did they see it?
Speaker 1: They didn't get it. But but but Elaine got in touch with them and said, listen, we're going to get he has surgery, so can you give them an extension? They were cool enough to do that, And I made a good one today. I mean, I have this thing in my mouth. I sounds kind of funny, but but anyway, here's the good news. You know what the good news is My Amazon store is Scotty Piece Big Mug Coffee is back in three packs in twelve different skews. Go get you some Google Scottie Pea's Big Mug Coffee hit my Amazon store. It's sell like hotcakes. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Scott can't put two words together. But he got his plug perfect.
Speaker 1: But I got the plug perfect, right, I perked up. That's now I'm tired. I'm gonna go to take a nap, amy take off.
Speaker 2: So, okay, before you sleep, you did not love this episode?
Speaker 1: Mmm, Look, it depends on how you what you want out of the show. What you know, Different people want different things out of the show. What I want out of the show is I like, I like my chuckles, I like I like the laugh. For me, the power of the show is getting the great laughs. And I got some good.
Speaker 2: Laught a couple. Yeah, yeah, I agree, you know.
Speaker 1: And so I don't want to I don't want to rag on the show too bad, but I mean, I don't.
Speaker 2: Get it out of the way so that we can talk about the episode. Let's just address quickly the assault, the cultural appropriation, so that we've we've addressed that at the top, so that as we talk about the episode, we maybe can talk about it without having to feel cringey over this salt.
Speaker 1: I mean, luke bashing. That's actually battery. That's not assault. It was I battered him.
Speaker 2: It was not cool.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was super cursed. It was super cool. Yeah, let's recap. I mean, let's uh, let's synopsizepis.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, good call, Suzanne. You sure I'll do it.
Speaker 5: This is season seven, episode two. That's what you get, folks from making whoopee. It aired on October third, two thousand and six. Wanting to cheer Rory up and take her mind off missing Logan. Lorelei turns her house into an Asian themed wonderland, meanwhile repairing the damage to the diner. Luke tells TJ about his breakup and insists on him talking about it with Liz, and Luke returns from her disastrous honeymoon with surprising news.
Speaker 1: Now, who in a million years ever thought that they would witness an episode of this very fine show where one of the most beloved and funny and endearing characters sits there and says, I hate sex. I hate sex. I hate sex, and now I'm pregnant and I hate sex even more than I hate sex. I hate hate sex, sex as awful as gross. I hate sex.
Speaker 7: It's never happening again.
Speaker 1: It was like, what did the pharmacist give me post surgery on my truth? Am I really witnessing this?
Speaker 2: Did anybody else feel like the episode was so disjointed?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was my problem.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I'm a fan of this episode.
Speaker 2: It had like a few moments where I'm like, I'm driving, I like, I like my Gilmore girls, And then I was like, is this twelve different episodes?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 7: Also, of course they made Lane pregnant like of course, right, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, and she got pregnant in two days.
Speaker 7: Lane's whole storyline throughout this entire series has just made me so dumbfounded.
Speaker 2: I'm just it's never been what it could have been.
Speaker 7: You, it could have been so much more.
Speaker 1: No, I think what was truly odd about this episode right away? You know. I I I pushed my theory over the last few podcasts about how this show isn't capable of such a heavy lift as to break up Look and Laurel. I. Right, I think it proved it at the top of this, you know, because it was as if Luke was going through something and he was trying to gut it out and it was showing in his behavior towards TJ. And thank god for TJ, because boy, he provide some levity here. And then we cut to Laurel I, who's sort of matter of factly going about her life and she's got to get to work and it doesn't doesn't really seem to be affecting her very much, to the point where she's you know, pulls the the Geisha gag and the home and with all the five hundred thousand dollars worth of Autremont from Asia, and it was just like, what is happening here? And I know there was a you know when they meet and Luke's try and play it cool. But if she isn't deep word, did you? But the thing is, did you guys feel that Laurel I was so deeply affected by the break up.
Speaker 2: I thought the whole thing was so weird until the end.
Speaker 7: Until the end, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought the crosswalk scene was bizarre and the grocery store bizarre, like shot bizarrely in weird locations we've never seen before.
Speaker 7: Like I also didn't feel like a Gilmore Girls grocery store like that is Ralph's Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: It was Whole Foods in Bourbank, like.
Speaker 2: Just clearly driving through Sherman Oaks just like I'm like, yeah, driving scenes, there's like driving the truck close up, just are we in Encino yet? Like I just like.
Speaker 6: I think for me, the disconnect is that the b storyline with Lane just it shouldn't have been placed with this a storyline.
Speaker 4: I think that's what it is. Like if it was, it was, it's just different than the thing.
Speaker 6: Well, I agree, but I'm saying, if they want to put it somewhere. It shouldn't have been with this Luke Lorelei storyline.
Speaker 2: It should have been an A storyline too.
Speaker 1: It's an afterthought, right, it's right, And it's so tone for what the fans invested in, what they really want. It's like, Okay, if you're going to do this, try to do this heavy lift, then deal with it, deal with the relationship, deal with the fallout of it. There was really very little of that.
Speaker 2: And if you're going to do this amazing like pregnancy reveal, do it better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I agree with terror, don't do it at all. It didn't belong.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The only the only part of the episode that I even smiled at was the whole Kirk's diner.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 5: And but that was such a small part of the episode. That was like the c storyline, Like.
Speaker 1: It was just so for me that it wasn't really executed very well either, because Luke is dealing with this his heavy heart and trying to get over it, and then he comes over and he's doing light comedy with Kirk and.
Speaker 2: It's unhinged about it.
Speaker 1: He wasn't right.
Speaker 2: It's like, let me grew up your paper.
Speaker 1: Right if you're if you're going to provoke. It's like, that's the thing. What kind of a show is it? What is it is?
Speaker 7: It is like Luke should have driven through his dining.
Speaker 2: Well, can we talk about the beginning where look, it was funny and also it was battery that Luke. So we see, So this is why I got confused. You start the episode with the recap of what happened, and you see him with the truck and she says, I slept with Christopher, and then we open on him driving away, which was kind of a nice sort of like moments later and we see him driving and driving and immediately you're like, I know where he is going. Knock knock, suck him in the in the face. I think about David Suckcliffe probably got his full episode b for just taking a punch. It's never in it again.
Speaker 1: You know what that scene was. That was an ending scene that wasn't a beginning. It was weird and also it was very odd that that scene happened. And then the theme song hits You're supposed to be happy, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: What I thought too.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know if you guys agree or not. I didn't mind it because I just feel like Christopher deserved that punch after like all that he's been through. But again, it should have been the end of episode one of season seven, not straight into the theme song, because then I kept actually rewound it because I'm like, where am I in this show?
Speaker 2: And he also hate to say it because I want to say, oh, Luke wouldn't do that, but Luke maybe kind of would.
Speaker 5: Do that, Luke beating up on Dean in that one episode. So it wasn't really that surprising.
Speaker 6: I just feel like it was a long time coming from everything that happened.
Speaker 4: It was like like he just was over I'd be over it too.
Speaker 2: That being said, I wasn't totally just crazy about it. It's like you go over to his house and just punch him in the face, and like, really and truly, if anyone was to blame, it was just opened.
Speaker 1: The door between guys. Okay, that was appropriate, that's a that's a guy thing. That means you have no respect.
Speaker 8: For me, doesn't pay.
Speaker 2: And we don't condone punching people in the.
Speaker 1: Face between guys. If there's disrespect on that level.
Speaker 2: At Berkeley, we don't love punching.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get whacked. It was.
Speaker 2: It was funny TV moment too, like there was something kind of amusing about it, but I agree it was it was placed in the wrong place.
Speaker 7: I did enjoy that Christopher just got knocked out and took it.
Speaker 8: He took it.
Speaker 5: He's like, yep, did he fall or he kind of still.
Speaker 2: Get closed the door. Now, how did you know where he lives? I was trying to sort of process that yellow page or white pages or like, did you actually know where he lives? I don't know how Luke would know where He's a good question, thank you, And he knew his apartment number.
Speaker 1: I had my trusty assistant Cato find out all right.
Speaker 2: So then then it was weird because we go to the house and Lorelei's all cute and or cute outfit kind of looking amazing, which I just don't think after a breakup you're going to look that amazing. I think you're gonna look like dog do but whatever, making the famous waffles, which then Rory put chocolate syrup and syrup on, which I was like, that sounds great.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of food this episode.
Speaker 2: There was, And then what kind of happens They talk about how he is this where she says he doesn't want me to come until December. Yeah, and she's super disappointed about the summer trip that she doesn't get to go to Asia, which you know leads to what happens, and.
Speaker 7: She sets that Lane is back from our honeymoon.
Speaker 2: Right. So it was kind of a fine scene. It was sort of getting us to a bunch of different plot points. Nothing where I'm like, other than.
Speaker 8: That, I don't put chocolate syrup on it.
Speaker 2: Did she make homemade waffles or a go waffles?
Speaker 5: I'm sure they were agos.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't think he always takes the easy way out.
Speaker 7: Her is probably homemade.
Speaker 2: I'm also noticing how much Rory Slash Alexis is older now. Is anyone else noticing that she's not a kid anymore? I noticed that multiple times throughout the episode, where almost Alexis looks like she looks now almost anyway.
Speaker 6: I also thought it was I think it kind of worked in the sense that, like she's home for college and she feels like, oh, I didn't know I was going to be here the whole time, Like she is so much older than the last time she was living in that town, so I didn't mind her like seeming older, but I get what you're saying, Amy, like you kind of just like have this realization like, oh, she's maybe anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really start to notice it. Okay, So then we go to the diner and this was amusing. So we so we get TJ which was kind of fun. You know, he's drinking the coffee. He's outside the window with Luke, and then we we learned that Kirk's has opened, and then Kirk's gonna sue you, which I was like, Kirk, what, like you're gonna sue him for dry crashing right into the diner and amusing and with the shirt, all the little details were like I just I just.
Speaker 1: Want to say this and that's to be over serious. But it was the only time that I saw Kirk is kind of an opportunistic jerk.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the guy can't run his business. He's just you know, broke up. It's like that would be the time for a Gilmore girl's character to come.
Speaker 2: To his aid, right, but he totally right.
Speaker 1: Like do something like you know, I mean to open up a look like you know what I'm saying. But it was just sort of like just a selfish thing where he's got to he saw an opening in the marketplace. It's it's just it was incongruous because it was two different types of shows trying trying to fuse themselves together.
Speaker 2: Especially because Kirk looks up to Luke so.
Speaker 1: Much, right, and it's like, if if you're gonna break these two up, deal with it, deal with it. Don't try to do jokey jokes all.
Speaker 2: But we're getting right. We're not dealing with it. That's the thing. Like they barely deal with it. Yeah, they don't deal with it, and they deal with it in such a strange way. That said, I did love all the details, the no cell phone sign, the Kirk's just like the mug. He's wearing the exact same shirt with the ball cap backwards. And somehow he has a liquor license, Like, wow, doesn't he serve alcohol?
Speaker 1: HETJ got a beer from Kirks. Yeah, see another odd, very odd detail. It was just strange.
Speaker 2: And all the town is there now. I did sort of love the outdoor cafe vibe of Kirks, and the whole town is eating there and he's cooking up stuff on the grill.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'd trust Kirk burgers.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he doesn't know. I'm sure he doesn't have the proper permittve.
Speaker 1: That might have been the strangest scene. That was the strangest scene.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I liked it. I think the sushi making and the discussion of like fried chicken, sushi, a meat loaf.
Speaker 1: Again, that's another strange scene we go.
Speaker 2: To that megs We're at the Dragonfly. Sukis showing Laura how to make sushi and she wants meatloafs sushi, fried chicken, sushi, peanut butter. I was just like, was it just me?
Speaker 4: Or like was there no setup?
Speaker 6: That she's teaching her how to make sushi for no setup?
Speaker 2: We have no idea why.
Speaker 6: I was later it took me so long to realize why she was making sushi. I was like, what is this scene for? I forgot about like the Asia trip, right.
Speaker 2: Because I learned later. We learned later that they're doing it because she's going to serve it to Rory with the red hots or whatever at the Asia night. But like, okay, just making me gag.
Speaker 6: I rewound this scene because I thought I completely just blacked out and missed what setup.
Speaker 4: I'm like, why is she making sushi.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought they were making it for the dragonfly Yeah, and first me too. And then I'm like, why does Laura I care about this? She's got other things to do then worry about how to make the sushi.
Speaker 2: And when they said fried chicken and meat love, I was like, what is happening? But then we do get sort of a serious moment and that Lauraai tells Suki I told Luke, and Suki's.
Speaker 8: At like, why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Would you? Okay, this is sort of like me going off topic, but whatever, if you were Laura, would you have told Luke.
Speaker 8: You did it? Was that necessary?
Speaker 7: I think you have to otherwise? Yeah, down ten years down the road, and it's going to be more damage than if you did it right now.
Speaker 5: I mean we've already seen like all the damage that's caused when they don't tell each other things right on both sides. So you know, like, I don't know, I don't see how she couldn't because it would it would always be at least on her mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I guess I guess, like we can all agree she kind of did the right thing or the needed thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The timing, you know, when you tell somebody something like that. Agree, I mean she really humiliated him. He was in the middle of his impassioned good clamp it. Let's move to Beverly speech.
Speaker 2: Jud clamp the proposal, and she does say it was the worst moment of her life, which also was like, yeah, then why did you even do it? Like not meaning tell him, but why did you do that? Why did you go over to Christopher?
Speaker 1: It's like, weird, what a mess?
Speaker 2: Totally Jesus So yeah, okay, So then Rory runs into Zach on the street and Zach had a weird hat and weird hair. Yeah, what was the hat?
Speaker 5: Like were they trying to cover up his hair or something? My husband and both were like, why is he wearing that hat? Can't brain conductors?
Speaker 2: It was weird. And then we learned about Pedro's which that actually was sort of funny because I could totally see that happening to Zach where he thinks he's getting some ocean front room and it's really some weirdo's apartment.
Speaker 5: It's like the first Airbnb, like.
Speaker 2: Totally was ahead of it.
Speaker 9: Oh my god, you're so right.
Speaker 2: So that was good. And then some guy's apartment Zach I don't think Zach got a parasite. I think he got Monazuma's revenge. Right, It's very different from a parasite. Am I right?
Speaker 8: A parasite?
Speaker 5: He did?
Speaker 4: Like, so they both got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct, But guess what I get it? She might have.
Speaker 4: She might have also at the water did so well.
Speaker 2: But so yeah, okay. So then Rory goes over and we learned that the honeymoon sucked, right, okay, So we sort of get the beginnings of it here, and we kind of get like, well, I was sick, but now I'm not sick, but then I am sick like that. So we're starting to get like, oh.
Speaker 5: Right, we have Brian in that giant sombrero.
Speaker 2: I know, I said, there's a lot of sort of weird cultural things in the second that I'm just like, I'm going to just let it go for the sake of the conversation. He's playing video games or something.
Speaker 8: Does he still live there? I guess he does?
Speaker 4: Yeah he does.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then we go back to the diner and TJ wants Luve to put up a stained glass window.
Speaker 5: M hm, super chair.
Speaker 2: Was putting his head back because he fell asleep.
Speaker 4: I saw the escaping.
Speaker 1: Ever you guys almost, So.
Speaker 2: DJ realizes that Luke's kind of been a mood and then he talks about Lis being so horny during the pregnancy, which it's if.
Speaker 7: I was a brother, you know, that does happen to people, but like for me, I was just like absolutely on the level of never. I don't know how people get like that during pregnancy.
Speaker 2: But also who's telling their person like their's I know, it's so brother.
Speaker 6: So I also like Luke is so just patient in this episode, like he's just like all right, like you're gonna tell me, all right.
Speaker 2: Wait tell you how patient he was for the tunic cast role, which I call castle. I guess she called it a tuna loaf. Also, oh god, and I just felt like that's been sitting in that oven for how long? How not food safe is this now? Because we'll get to that though, right. So now we're at the gazebo and we learned about the horrible sex it's yeah, And first of all, who's having sex for the first time on the beach?
Speaker 1: Oh god?
Speaker 7: My favorite part is how Lane was like, I mean, now I know it's horrible, and Rory's.
Speaker 2: Like, uh, like it's not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she Lura is being really respectful about it, but like the conversation was just weird, Like I could not imagine having that conversation. Also, the timing of all this is just like so like how long was the honeymoon?
Speaker 2: I know, I know you're trying to do the timing because it just really beat meant already because they'd have to have been gone a month.
Speaker 4: Exactly, it's been two days.
Speaker 2: I thought it's been two weeks. Yeah, week honeymoon, but maybe it was a month long honeymoon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe day one.
Speaker 2: That was day one, and then it's day one ish. I mean she'd barely get a pregnancy test that would work, yeah, literally barely.
Speaker 6: And it's also like we're I know that pregnancy tests now are a lot more accurate, but like.
Speaker 4: Two thousand what year was this two thousand and six?
Speaker 2: Like my sort of flag on it is that we're they're talking about sex, right, but in gilmore Land. So it's like you can only talk about sex and gilmore Land kind of like PG. Maybe PG. Thirteen. When in actuality you're having this conversation with your best friend, you're gonna have it.
Speaker 5: Way more, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Are you saying, yeah, you're gonna have way more conversation.
Speaker 6: It was like the high school version and totally of this conversation and they're like twenty one two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt like I should have should leave the room when they were I got up and left the room because I didn't feel it was appropriate that I was listening.
Speaker 2: To them two young girls that are basically like your daughter, and you're just like yeah, And I was like, if we're gonna do it, let's do it at Carrie Bradshaw and Samantha style. But instead we were doing.
Speaker 8: It very tog.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought it was drawn out way too long. I thought that whole scene was way too long. Right, They could have made it half as long and still gotten the same message across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably would have been better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know those messages we got like you're beating a dead horse kind of thing, that's what they were doing on this episode.
Speaker 2: Well, then we get to yes, I mean I agree. The whole episode felt like that. Oh, the whole episode felt so like weird and disjoyt and like I'm liking it and not at the exact same time, I'm like, how is this possible?
Speaker 4: Also, my other question was does Zach feel the same way.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's such a great question.
Speaker 6: She's like, I'm open to sexless marriage. I'm like, what does your husband think about this?
Speaker 2: And does she think it waiting so long?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she just to wait twenty years.
Speaker 8: And that's actually something that would love to ask his character.
Speaker 2: M hm, because does that mean they never so say they were gone for a month, which were to believe? Right? So they have sex day one, right, you know, they get to Mexico sex day one, and they're on this month long honeymoon and paid at Pedro's gross apartment and they never have sex again. And then she comes home and two days later she's pregnant. Like they're off to a great start.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like an episode of the Bachelor or something. So then we have sort of the stock the stuff of dreams, right.
Speaker 8: They're in the fantasy suite.
Speaker 2: Then this was awkward for me. So we finally have this moment where Luke and Lorelai are reunited in the crosswalk, a crosswalk I don't know that I've ever seen before. She's carrying all the groceries. They're quite distant, like it was so like they spotted each other from across I don't know where we're supposed to be, like this is so dramatic, but instead it was just weird. And then they're crossing and kind of keep crossing, talking awkwardly. I didn't love it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it wasn't like this the first time. I wanted them to see each other after the breakoup, Like it was almost like too casual. They both were just like, well, hey, well you're the one that proposed in the first like, oh yeah, I punched Christopher your boyfriend. I punched your boyfriend.
Speaker 8: You know, it's like just it was just weird.
Speaker 1: Point these characters are destroyed. It's hard to relate to them anymore. It's hard to like them anymore. And you know, they're not saying anything that's remotely recognizable for six previous seasons, and it's it's just awkward. Everything is awkward, And.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that was my problem with the episode, is that, like I'm still pulling for Luke and Lorely, like I still think that deep down they still love each other, but then this episode is there, it's just awkward. They're just acting weird and it's all disjointed, and I didn't know if maybe that was intentional. They wanted us to feel weird and awkward because the characters are feeling weird and awkward trying to figure out how there's I don't know, but the whole thing just was like, I don't think I need to see this episode again. Yeah, I don't usually watch this one.
Speaker 1: The question, I think the question really is do you think that Luke and Laurel I, given this, you know, the weight they bring to the show over the years, do you think they deserved an episode or two or three where you really had to deal with this breakup Andre that.
Speaker 2: I would have preferred that we get a glimpse of it at the end of this episode. And I sort of was like, Okay, now I'm in I.
Speaker 1: Think the fans the fans are getting short change period. Again. I enjoyed this relationship.
Speaker 2: Liz, I thought. Liz, which we'll get to, had some really astute comments and she really said to her brother, well that wasn't normal what you did, and that was some good meat. And I thought, oh, okay, well, okay, well we'll keep going because we can break that down. So then this is where we have the scene where TJ and Luker, you know, fixing the window and TJ's got his beer and he's got four tickets to the hawk Ats And this is where Luke finally tells him that hug. They broke up in the hug and then he says, you got to come over for dinner, which okay, good good.
Speaker 1: I thought that was sweet, Like, yeah, yeah, TJ saved this episode for me, saved the episode for me. They made it enjoyable.
Speaker 2: I agree, because when we get to it, I mean, we've got one more scene before it, but I really enjoyed the scene with the three of you. So right before that, we get Rory at the house with Lorlai and this is the whole we've transported ourselves to Asia and we've got which was quite extravagant in the kimono.
Speaker 1: And did you find that it was one of the strangest moments on the show for her to go to those lengths to do that.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like she would do that. Yeah, is this where they ate the hot sushi?
Speaker 6: It maybe feels out of place at this age in this season.
Speaker 4: I think if it was like.
Speaker 6: Three seasons earlier, maybe, but it's just been Also.
Speaker 2: She's heartbroken, so was awkward for me that she's doing this when she should just be in bed crime.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought of it as light escape.
Speaker 6: She doesn't want to think about it, so she's gonna throw this extravagant night with Rory so she doesn't have to sit in bed and think about it.
Speaker 3: She made a Tutsi roll, marshmallow twizzer roll, sushi, a butterfinger junior mint chocolate chip, jujubie roll on an oreo red hot shashimi, and were they wrapped in the traditional seaweed?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 2: Then this has a moment where we hear the message, which I was like, okay, now we're now, I'm now, I'm in and we hear Christopher leave the message and Rory's reaction, which what did you all think of her reaction?
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's talk first about his intention. Why did he leave that message? He knew that Rory probably might hear it. There's a chance she could hear it. Why would he These characters are acting like.
Speaker 2: Why why wouldn't he just call her cell phone?
Speaker 1: I just you know, leaving that message with all the detail on it. And Luke punched me, and you know we had nookie and I want to have more and call me. Let's discuss because you know I have a broken nose from your boyfriend who you just dumbed. But we had nookie, So call me and gosh, I hope alexis is Rory isn't listening. I mean it was just it was just such a Again, I don't understand. I don't get it. Do you think it was intentional that he did that? Or was? I think I think sho he's so in his own world that he just doesn't care.
Speaker 2: I like hearing you tell it that being said, I was like, okay, he would call, he leaves messages there. He I wasn't. I sort of.
Speaker 4: Rory doesn't live there full times.
Speaker 6: That's how I took it, Like, you know, he didn't know that she'd be there, so I actually didn't think of it that way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he saw that she was in your in your not Europe Asia.
Speaker 2: But he's her dad. Who still believe?
Speaker 1: Do you leave something like that on a on an answering machine?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well he's not that bright right there?
Speaker 1: You think.
Speaker 5: The Ry herself said, he's never not stupid.
Speaker 2: What do you all think of Rory's reaction?
Speaker 6: I I actually like I liked it. I was like, finally, like, you know, I don't always agree with things that Rory says. But I think in this moment, it's like Suki wasn't going to snap Laura, I had of it, so and her mom like, we haven't seen Emily and Richard, and usually Emily's the one who's, you know, saying some things are actually kind of true.
Speaker 4: So Rory stepped up and she's like, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: And you know, it just shows you that Rory really respects Luke over her dad. And I think that was a really important scene because of Rory's relationship with Luke as well.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: And also I thought it was a point well taken when she says, things are so good with me and my dad, why would you do this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And it is you know, it's true sort of a.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's true because Rory always gets so flustered when her dad brings her mom down, and so doing that.
Speaker 5: She knows Christopher is always bad news. So what the heck were you thinking? I can kind of see both sides though, because Rory has made some questionable decisions too, so it was a little there was an element of, you know, the pot calling the kettle black, but I think she could have shown Loralai a little more grace. But then she kind of for me, she kind of redeemed that at the end of the episode when she came back and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we did need somebody in Lorali circle to do that. Though yeah, you said we don't have Emily. Suki was just kind of like, oh, don't tell Luke, you know, kind of shrugged it, not shrugged it off, but pretending it didn't happened. We needed somebody to call it for what it is.
Speaker 2: And I actually, for me, I don't know, it's always a little cringey when the daughter and the mother have conversations about who the mother's sleeping with. I don't know, I'm always like, oh god, that being said, I think she's older that Laura. I would sleep with Christopher. She's not going to go sleep with somebody else, you know what I mean. So it's like it's Suki. Like say it was Suki having the conversation, or even Babbett, it would be like, oh, honey, you always go back to him, and you can't really have that with the daughters. But I still thought it was an interesting sort of plot point and.
Speaker 5: Kind of like, yeah, I mean, right, she could have chosen to not have sex with anyone she could have chosen to eat ice cream or something like Christopher's not always the answer to the problem when you don't feel well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's also like that that episode when.
Speaker 6: I don't know how Lorlai phrased it, but it's when she broke up with Dean, Oh, wallow, She's like, you have to wallow. I think it was kind of like a callback to that where it's like you told me, if I'm having a breakup, I need to sit and wallow, And it's exactly what she's not doing well.
Speaker 2: And she's also doing with what Logan did, which when Logan and Rory had their break he went out and started sleeping with eighteen bridesmaids. But you get My point is like true, wallowing would have been the better move. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I thought Luke had a really good point in that scene where they were breaking up and he was and he had he said, I'm also in this relationship and I'm not letting it. I'm not giving it up, you know, And I don't know. I thought he had a point there because it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I what was interesting for me, Luke's a character probably has greater impact as a stable force for Rory over the years, and he does as a relationship with LORELEI. Yeah, that's when I got out of this scene between mother and daughter and daughter reprimanding mother. It's like, why didn't you consider me and my relationship with Luke? How this is going to affect me and my relationship with my real dad.
Speaker 2: Well, and her relationship with Luke has always been stable, you know what I mean, Like it actually is more stable than Laureli's relationship with Luke. Over the years, they've had other breakups, whereas Rory and Luke have always had a constant.
Speaker 1: All right, I mean that's really the loss, isn't it. It's like, now Rory's cut off somewhat from Luke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just I was about to say that in the sense that like they needed to take all that into account when they started dating, which I think they did, and then everything's just in the bucket. I don't know how to say it any other way. It's like it's all just a mess. Well, then we go to Lane's apartment and Lane's on the floor and oh she's pregnant, and she freaks out and Rory's kind of talking her down.
Speaker 4: I don't hate the idea of Lane being pregnant.
Speaker 2: But oh, I'm sorry skipped a scene. I'm sorry because we talked about it briefly. I skipped the scene where you're having the white Russians. So you go over to the to Liz's and you start to have the drinks. And this is where I do like Liz a lot. She asked if it was Anna, and Luke doesn't want to talk about it, but that that's the beginning of very important stuff to come.
Speaker 4: Jello.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, we haven't gotten to that yet, but we can talk about should we talk about why we just talk about the whole dinner. Let's just talk about the whole dinner because the scenes are separated, but they're so important. Go ahead, Susanne.
Speaker 5: I was just going to say, talking about things that are awkward and unexpected. Who would ever have thought that Liz would be the voice of reason.
Speaker 2: I know, and yet she fully was. And also I guess the one thing is she can totally call out her brother, right, yes she does, and she was she I don't I don't know that I totally agree with everything she said, but she finally did call out like that was weird that you didn't just include Lorlai with April right, and that she was pretty quick to say was it Anna, which it kind of was Anna, even though everyone's like, no, it's not Anna in the sense that he loves Anna. But Anna laid apart into pushing the Luke and Lorelaia apart.
Speaker 7: I think she planted it in Laura Lai's head that she's not married, Like we like, Laura knew she wasn't married, but like create it an issue.
Speaker 2: But she's less than because they're not married. Yeah, and then we get the gross tuna loaf? Is that good? Tunas? It was a tuna loaf?
Speaker 4: She said, a loaf, yeah, and it.
Speaker 2: Was not in a castle role dish. It was like on a cookie sheet.
Speaker 5: All meat that it was like a shaped thing.
Speaker 2: And wouldn't you know the oven's broken?
Speaker 5: But I was gonna say, how did she check it like three times and not notice it was hot until the lost time?
Speaker 2: And it does set us up to get Luke to the store, which we'll talk about.
Speaker 4: But I did like for else.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did like that Luke had family support in this episode.
Speaker 4: Never seen.
Speaker 6: I mean, we've seen Lizen TJ before, but not in this this way.
Speaker 7: He's always been the support so like, I appreciate he has it this time.
Speaker 2: Okay, We've got more to talk about there that. But also I want to talk about the scene with Rory and Lane. This is a hot take, but I'm just going to say it. Did anyone get the vibe for a moment there that Lane might be considering other options?
Speaker 1: M h, I did do That's it made me very uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, like I thought, okay, they're sort of going to have this deep conversation and then it just pivoted. But I don't know if that was intentional. Did you guys? Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: She sort of said, this show is going listen, this show overall over the last I don't know, five or six episodes, end of season six, beginning season seven is going into territory that it doesn't normally occupy and doesn't necessarily do very well.
Speaker 2: Yes, your points taken, and that it's like they started to go there where I thought they were gonna have a deep conversation about her options and then who that just went away.
Speaker 4: I didn't think of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah I didn't either, But I mean I can see wat.
Speaker 7: You Yeah, I think I think just overall like what I gathered from that, Elaine is just super bummed. Like she went on honeymoon, it wasn't amazing, she had sex for the first time, it wasn't amazing, And now she's pregnant.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think she's just I.
Speaker 1: Mean, let me ask you, let me ask you something. Was that supposed to be funny that scene? Yeah, I don't know. Was that supposed to be funny? What were they going for there? What was the point of it?
Speaker 6: I took it as someone who's just been sheltered her entire life, and like she's never had that conversation with her mom or even in season one if you remember, like Lane was just weird around guys, and Rory was awkward too, but Lane was just like a different you know, like she didn't really know how to like talk to guys. So I just thought of it as like Lane never grew up.
Speaker 4: But that's just.
Speaker 2: How I m.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she's like not I get what you're saying, but she's put in the situation where she is grown up. Like, you know, she she is married. You know, she seems a little.
Speaker 2: Too to be married, too young to have a kid, too young for all of this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like she wakes up.
Speaker 2: The diner and has a band that cruises around in a broke van.
Speaker 5: She hasn't really had much opportunity to be independent yet, like she's going from her mom's house to being married to being a mother, Like she never gets a chance to like do her thing.
Speaker 2: I think I just expected more from Lane. Not that not that it's bad that she got married or pregnant, but like she doesn't really have a purpose quite yet.
Speaker 7: And maybe, yeah, her storyline is just so jumbled, like she works at the diner here and there, she sometimes has some music shows, sometimes has band practice.
Speaker 8: And she's pregnant.
Speaker 7: I don't know, it's just her storyline just yeah kills me.
Speaker 6: It's also with someone like Rory, who's always had like, you know, interesting relationships and back and forth you usually have like in these shows, like the friend who has their together as a guess, but in this sense, both of them don't, and so they're kind of just like figuring it out together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's mature sometimes and very immature sometimes. I guess that's what I would say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, so then this episode is such a train wreck for me because everyone miserable except for Kirk.
Speaker 1: Unhappy and when he shouldn't when he shouldn't be right right.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so messy. The whole thing's disjointed is a better word. But then we go to the Ralphs, which was so weird because it didn't even look Gilmoury. It was just we're clearly like on a handheld camera and Ralphs, like you has.
Speaker 7: Like cut little Dozies market where all the produce is like, you know, it looks like a tiny, tiny trader Joe's.
Speaker 2: They acknowledge it too, so like she even says like, oh, my attempt to avoid you at Dosies didn't work, And he's like, well, I'm at this grocery store because I've been at Lizon TJ's on the other side of town, and it's just like.
Speaker 7: What Dozy's on the back lot was booked that day, literally booked.
Speaker 2: Isn't TJ also live in stars Hollow? Now they do, like they bought a place. We know this, so why would we not just shoot this scene at Dozi's. It's so weird. It's so weird and weird.
Speaker 6: We've never in seven seasons seen any other grocery store, Like it's apparently really far away to go.
Speaker 2: Literally, I think Lorli drove thirty miles to that grocery store because where is the Ralphs? Like by Ryan target too? Like what it was so weird and it was like that person like they definitely shot that in a grocery store, which I also don't understand, like that is lighting is not allow at all.
Speaker 5: Which maybe I mean, maybe that was intentional to add to the feeling of disconnectedness. It was like, let's put them in a completely different place that we've never ever seen before and really throw everyone off their axes.
Speaker 1: Where are the town busy bodies? Where's Taylor? Where's that? Where's miss Patty? Yeah, chiming being involved in the breakup of Luke and Laurel, e all the ramifications. I mean, this is such a missed opportunity. It's kind of shocking. Really, it's not.
Speaker 7: Even a missed opportunity. It's just not the show, you know, like your show.
Speaker 1: It's just this is a different show we're watching. It's like a whole different show we're watching with these characters we don't really recognize, but we know they're bela missing. It doesn't make sense with how they're behaving.
Speaker 8: Now, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Thought that the the whole Kirks thing was the perfect opportunity that they could have had, you know, Gypsy or Miss Patty or somebody you know having their coffee at Kirk's because Luke's is gone now, But they just have like generic.
Speaker 6: I was I was looking for, like bebetter, someone who's gone listen in and ask Luke like how you doing or you know something? But we didn't even get that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but the way the way in a small town, the way they tee up a lot of these things, and especially this relationship, they didn't tee it up for the breakup.
Speaker 1: It's not affecting the town in any real way.
Speaker 2: It's right.
Speaker 6: The way.
Speaker 1: And before they trained the audience for six seasons to count on this relation, to want this relationship, to really root for it, and then when it happens, this big celebration, and it's they're breathless waiting for Luke and Laura to get together, and now that they're not together, it's like nobody's nobody's really talking about it.
Speaker 6: I actually wouldn't mind if, like she drove to Emily and Richard's house totally.
Speaker 2: I just was about to say that, why why are we not doing that.
Speaker 6: Or like, I just feel like they should even though like they've always been critical of Laura I and her relationships. I just felt like we needed them in this moment and we don't have that.
Speaker 2: Well, why didn't she take Rory and out of town? We've seen like I know we've done that before, but it's like kind of did that with the Max break up. But it's just like, I don't know, nothing tracked. And I have to say, I think one of the things that was so awkward for me was how happy she was in Asia. Do you know what I mean? Doing the Asian She's smiling and putting this. It just I was like, what candy and watch movies?
Speaker 6: But like I also just thought like, why don't they go on a trip together? Like was that addressed at all?
Speaker 2: Five seas pick your choice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, back to season three? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So then we do have a scene that was sort of felt gilmoury and poignant is that she goes in, Rory gets comes home, and lower lie there finally you know, crying.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I felt like just to go back one step. At the in the grocery store scene, she looked like she wanted to talk about it more like she she looked like she wanted to maybe have more of a discussion, but he kept putting up that wall, like you go be with Christopher, you know, you know you shouldn't be with me, And I don't know. I just felt like she wanted to have more of a conversation there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's gutted, he's done. He's hurt so deeply. I mean, she slept with it a.
Speaker 2: Guy, and he's just so like, I'm fine, We'll be fine. I'm angry now, but I'll be fine.
Speaker 5: He's watching out because he was hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very luke like though, that's how he would be. I'm fine. I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Let's write this puppy. What are we What are we giving it? What's the measuring stick?
Speaker 2: Who wants to go first?
Speaker 1: I think I think tar should go first, giving she just has that look.
Speaker 6: This is this is where Gilmour lost me. Honestly, like this season. This is why I say I don't like the season. I prefer the movies. But I'm going to give it a four.
Speaker 1: Generous that's actually generous.
Speaker 4: Tune of loafs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Danielle, I'm going to give it five point five red hats, extremely generous.
Speaker 2: How did you give it?
Speaker 4: How many she gave?
Speaker 1: Five point five?
Speaker 2: I'm going to give it.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, we haven't call on you.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, continue, I got excited.
Speaker 1: I know, I understand Susan French.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I'm gonna give it a four point five. This didn't really do anything for me. Four point five beers from Kirk's Diner, Amy Sugar.
Speaker 2: Six point five, which is my low score ever, still higher than you all, but six point five. Rory having a blue dress over jeans, which was a look.
Speaker 4: I rocked in that era.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, so I respected the fashion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, six point five, and I feel bad giving it that low. I'd like to give it a seven, but I think I'm going six point five.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give it. Well. The TJ hug was worth at least three points. God disjointedness of it is so I don't know. I can't give it anything. I'm sorry it's a zero. Oh no, because it's such a did.
Speaker 4: You give a zero last week?
Speaker 6: Zero?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but I agree with Tara. I mean the thing like, it's how many episodes does it take to lose you? I mean this thing's lost me too.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I mean, we're only on episode two.
Speaker 1: And nobody's acting like their characters and it's just an odd experience and I'm just really like, I'm just looking for some laughs and I got a couple, you know, but it's just none of it makes sense anymore. There's no real emotional logic to it any longer. So yeah, that's a double zero. Give double zero. I'm giving it zero zero's Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't great. I'm not gonna lie about that. Well, maybe next week things will be better because I think Emily at least we get Emily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's coming back. All right, Well that's going to do it. Our goose is cooked here. We love you, we need you, we we worship you, and you're the best fans on the planet. And I just took another pill and I washed it down with gues Scottie Pea's Big Bug coffee break as well, that rich smooth flavor. Anyway, Thanks everybody. Wish wish we had better news for this episode, you know, but you know us, we we're addicted to being honest and it's just real fault here that I am. That's my fault. I told everybody to be honest. Yeah, it's like the no bs on. But anyway, have a great week and we'll see you next time. Stay safe, hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.