Speaker 1: Ruby.
Speaker 2: We know that we have the toolkit to help a podcast network or an individual podcast succeed through marketing and the megaphone that we have here at iHeart, But we also know we want to invest in and believe in creators to see through their vision. We've tried to do that with so many others, whether that's with Bloomberg and business, Will Ferrell and comedy, Shonda Rhimes in the creative space, the NFL, or NBA, and sports.
Speaker 1: Our job is to help these.
Speaker 2: Great organizations and creators bring these ideas to life. So it's been fun to be able to organize that way. We don't always get it right, but in its best execution, that's the way we try to organize.
Speaker 3: We just heard from Will Pearson, the president of the iHeart podcast network, where he's responsible for the growth strategy of Iheart's original podcast content, which can't be an easy job, especially as we're entering a more crowded marketplace for podcasting. Well hear how Will and his team managed to make iHeart stand down to consumers and how the company has become revolutionary with their podcast advertising strategy and Iheart's commitment to giving creatives the space and resources they need to share important stories. This is leading by example, executives making an impact. I'm furnished to Robbie and I'm excited.
Speaker 4: To take this journey with you as your host.
Speaker 3: I know what you might be thinking, but this is not just another interview podcast about founders and CEOs. We're going past the pr and into the personal stuff and how their lived experiences shape leadership. The workplace, as you know, is going through a massive transformation. Everything from how we define work life balance to what we expect from our leaders and companies is evolving in front of us in real time. And my goal with this podcast is to bring you real guidance, actionable insights, and the truth about the roles we can all play in shaping the future of work. I tell you this is a front row seat behind the scenes to innovation and strong leadership across industries, and that is certainly in the case with our first guest, Will Pearson. Will's career began in his dorm room at Duke University, where he co founded the digital media publication Mental Flaws. It started as a campus magazine and as journey led him to How Stuff Works, hosting the Part Time Genius podcast and launching some of today's most innovative podcast slates. Will Pearson, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thanks for noush. It's good to be with you.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to hearing so much about your career, come up ins, your influence in the media world. But first, I just want to know what you were like as a kid. Were there inklings of the empire you were going to build as a young one?
Speaker 4: Is there a.
Speaker 3: Story that captures even if it's just like the curiosity that you had. Because I find you to be a very curious person, I don't think it's inconsequential who we become.
Speaker 2: So I would say the early part of my career probably could have been predicted because I was a list maker an organizer, and I don't know why. I love learning things and then I loved being able to compile those in my own organized way. So it was this combination of I suppose, curiosity and OCD that led me to create these files.
Speaker 1: And I'm not even kidding when I say this.
Speaker 2: I had files in a desk at my house when I was like ten years old, where it'd be like the interesting history facts that I've learned, the interesting science facts that I've learned whatever it may have been, but I just loved consuming this knowledge. I didn't exactly know why. I didn't know what I was going to do with it. It eventually paid off in some way with the first business we started out of college. But I guess that would have been an early hint that this might have been a path for me.
Speaker 3: You kind of were into executive functioning before it was age appropriate.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, So fast.
Speaker 4: Forward to Duke.
Speaker 3: Now you're at Duke University and you get an idea to start I guess a magazine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Was it always the intention was to start this magazine that would have a life beyond college?
Speaker 2: It was we didn't necessarily communicate that. So there was a young man by the name of mungesh A Ticketer. The two of us were classmates together. We'd known each other since our first year at Duke, and in the evenings, groups of friends would sort of crowd into one room and just kind of hang out and start talking about things that we may have heard in a class. Again, maybe one more hint that we were just a little bit on the nerdy side. But we would get together in our dorm rooms and just talk about things that were of venturous to us, and this idea came up that one person in the room might be an astronomy major, another person in the room is an econ major, and another person in the room is a literature major. And the idea that we could each learn a little bit from each other is really what inspired the idea for the magazine Mental Flaws. The whole concept was, how wouldn't it be great to be able to learn a little bit from every single one of these departments here on campus. You're at a liberal arts institution celebrating general knowledge. Let's come up with a way that people can learn a little bit of everything, but also blend it with entertainment and trivia, so that every time you experience an issue of the magazine, you'd walk away feeling a little bit smarter, but with a smile on your face. And so we started it there and distributed a couple of issues on campus at Duke, and then decided to take it outside of Duke as well. Of course, we had no idea, We had no background in the publishing industry in any sort of meaningful way, and I honestly think that's part of why it worked.
Speaker 1: You know, we were too naive and too.
Speaker 2: Young to know the rules of the publishing industry and how hard it was to start a magazine's supposed to think about it. We launched in two thousand and one, not exactly the best time to be launching any business, much less a magazine, but it was something we felt very strongly about.
Speaker 4: So pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: It sounds that when you started Mental Floss at Duke it got a great reception. It seemed like there's a business here. At what point did you realize I want to do this professionally beyond college? Were there are other pathways you considered, other career routes you considered?
Speaker 2: There were none that were super clear. I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do. I was a history major, so I think my only options were to go into academia or start my own thing. Right but now, and I don't really feel that way. I'm a big proponent of a liberal arts education. But I guess it was in my third year, my junior year at Duke, when we started this and really knew the path was, let's try to take this beyond the campus and make this our full time gigs. Of course, what it meant at that point was just getting this off the ground, working part time jobs while still in college and just doing whatever we could to make some extra money to get things started.
Speaker 3: What did those early days teach you about leadership?
Speaker 4: Did you consider yourself.
Speaker 3: A CEO or a leader at that point or you just kind of like a builder and an engineer and wearing all the.
Speaker 2: Hats a little bit more of the ladder. I was running the team, but at the same time was a very small team at that point. But I think that was such a critical moment for learning at that stage. You know, it's funny to think back about the designing and the creation of some of those first issues, because fast forwarding to this point, anybody that wants to create a magazine or design something has all the tools on their computer. At that point, though there were no joke like five computers on campus that had the right tools to design a magazine. There are plenty of computers, but the ones that had the actual programs to be able to design a magazine. And so there were other campus publications and you'd have to sign up for time slots, and so we would sign up for these time slots in the student center that might be like eleven pm to three am, because that's when we could all get together. And even though I wasn't the designer of the magazine, I think one of the early lessons was learning the importance of being present and being present during difficult times and being present when the hard work is being done. And so we would of course have all of these articles that were submitted in all the content that was coming together, and then it was time to be able to sit down together and decide what was going on what page and how the design was looking. And I felt that it was important for both of us from Ungesh and for myself to be there during that time, even if we weren't guiding where every article was going. There was something about that, and I think it was an early lesson learned and I saw it in other mentors, and so I've tried to carry that forward to be present when our teams are dealing with difficult challenges, even if I'm not always the one that's making the ultimate decision on those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a sense of accountability and I think that is really appreciated from everybody else on the team because we tend to work in silos and well, it wasn't my job, and that wasn't my job, right, That's right.
Speaker 4: You also hit the jackpot in mangesh.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: You know, it's one thing to have a good roommate that's hard enough in college, or a friend, but that he ended up also being a really great business partner and a co pilot. Looking back, maybe only in hindsight, now, you know what made that relationship really click.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, it was a friendship.
Speaker 2: We had a couple of mutual friends early in college and that really brought us more closely together. But then I think it was the recognition of complimentary skill sets. You know, he's one of the most creative people I've ever been around, and you really want to find in a business partner somebody that compliments your strengths and helps make up for your weaknesses, and I think we did that for each other. You know, he brought the incredible creativity and then just the ability to have.
Speaker 1: A vision for what we were trying to create.
Speaker 2: And I was more on the strategy side and more on the pow are we actually going to get out on the world and build this? And how are we going to communicate about this? One of the best ways to illustrate. This was even the name itself when we were trying to think of the name of this magazine, and I bet it came up with more than one hundred terrible names until he just said, why don't we call it Mental Flaws. And on the one hand, you just want to celebrate that, because that was exactly what what it needed to be called, because it sounded smart, It sounded like something that celebrated knowledge, but also communicated that it didn't take itself too seriously, that it was playful, and so there was something about that that was both exciting and also just really frustrating to know that on one of his first tries he was like, you know what, this is what we should call it, stroke of genius, and that's just what he does time and again. So yeah, we worked together at Mental Floss all the way through selling the magazine I guess that was in twenty eleven to Dennis Publishing out of the UK, and stayed on to continue working there for a few more years.
Speaker 3: You left Mental Floss to pursue podcasting in twenty seventeen, still very early days of this medium. What was it about podcasting that excited you, that made you think there is something here, and I think there's even some staying power because a little fun fact and you know this, but maybe our audience doesn't. But podcasting in twenty seventeen was sort of podcasting two point zero. There was an initial era of podcasting before or the iPhone came to the scene, and it was sort of native to the iPod, but it was so converse and we had to download it before you left work to listen to it.
Speaker 4: On the subway.
Speaker 3: It didn't take right, but it wasn't until like streaming and Wi Fi became more ubiquitous that podcasting two point zero kind of took off. And that's when you arrived on the scene and now you thought, this is the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was still in that early stage, and that's what was most appealing to us. You know, when we were at Mental Floss and when we sold it in twenty eleven, we had said to ourselves, you know, look, we want to stay here as long as it feels like a startup, as long as it feels like we are building a thing that is in.
Speaker 1: The entrepreneurship phase.
Speaker 2: Once that stops and once a business is in sort of maintenance or slow growth mode, we'd probably be ready to move on to the next thing, and that moment started to come in about twenty fifteen or so, and then we started having conversations with how Stuff Works or Stuff Media about the possibility of leaving to come on board and start a podcast, but really with the bigger goal of helping them spin off from their parent company and see what we could do with it as a podcast company. Here's a super interesting company and how Stuff Works, which by coincidence, most of their subject matter was very complimentary and in alignment with what we were doing at Mental Floss with shows like stuff you should know, Stuff you missed in history class, tech stuff, and we thought, you know, we can combine two things here, one the background that we have in these creation of general knowledge products, but to this idea of being able to jump in into a very young space and see what can happen. And I guess it was about a year and a half later with the team there, we were able to sell How Stuff Works to iHeart.
Speaker 3: And now a really big playing field at iHeart you have launched many amazing programming there and I'm just curious, you said, you like sort of like the startup, You're like a startup leader. You like that playing field, and now you're at a bigger company like iHeart. What's your approach to leadership and innovation? Is it any different?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I actually think my background and also the background of our CEO of the digital half of iHeart, Connell Burn, he also came from Stuff Media. Both of us had been and lived in the startup space, and I actually think it's really given us a lot of guidance as we think about leading larger companies because the way that we actually try to organize iHeart Podcasts, you could step back from that and say, Okay, we've got nine hundred podcasts and really think about it as this one cumulative entity. And of course we do that in the marketplace to some extent, but that's not really the way I look at.
Speaker 1: It and our best execution.
Speaker 2: What we are as a division that has maybe twenty or twenty five different teams or slates or networks and themselves that get to operate somewhat independently, get to create their own ideas, get to create many of their own marketing plans, but then have the ability to tap into the resources of a much larger organization. So what we're in effect trying to do is to fund and support startups within a larger organization so that when Charlemagne, the god legendary host of the Breakfast Club or co host of the Breakfast Club comes along and says, I think it's time to start a network dedicated to black voices because of the incredible underrepresentation in the podcast space. When he came to us in twenty twenty and express that, we so, well, now is the time to do this. Let's give it a shot, and to give him the resources, but in some ways to also step out of the way and to not get in the way of a creator or a visionary trying to create their thing. We know that we have the toolkit to help a podcast network or an individual podcast succeed through marketing and the megaphone that we have here at iHeart, but we also know we want to invest in and believe in creators to see through their vision. We've tried to do that with so many others, whether that's with Bloomberg and business, Will Ferrell and comedy Shonda Rhimes, in the creative space, the NFL, or NBA and sports. Our job is to help these great organizations and creators bring these ideas to life. So it's been fun to be able to organize that way. We don't always get it right, but in its best execution, that's the way we try to organize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes it's just let them tell you what's needed. I think sometimes leaders put the pressure on themselves to sort of figure it out.
Speaker 1: That's right, and it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't always work, but when it does, you look back and go that was kind of easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually, how do you stay on top of the trends and ensure iHeartMedia remains ahead of its competitors. It sounds like one approach is to lean into your experts and your podcast's hosts who are in it every day and hearing from their audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would actually say that is the biggest way is to be listening to our leadership. So the one part that I sort of left out there, suppose in organizing that way is that it is critical that every one of those teams has an excellent leader that is, in many respects, the general manager or the president of their own small podcast company. I would say that almost more than anything. But the other thing is just listening within the industry, seeing what shows are launching, seeing what trends are out there. Seeing what's not out there is part of it, and that can be a challenge. It's really easy to follow, Oh, here's a new thing that's happening. Here's a new thing that's happening. One of the harder things I think is identifying where the gaps are. So I guess the only other thing I'd add is we do try to look at the data as well. I have a great data and analytics team here at iHeart that helps us see where those gaps are, and we look at the trends of listenership, and part of it is having to identify. Okay, I see that they are under indexing for listening within podcasts, and we have the benefit of being part of a network that can actually address that can actually move the needle because of the scale coming up.
Speaker 3: After the break, Will and I talk about adapting to the pandemic, the evolution of podcast advertising, and his advice to aspiring media professionals.
Speaker 2: The world changed in twenty twenty, and in some respects, we can't pretend that it's back to being exactly the same world today that it was before the pandemic. I think we have to acknowledge that life changed, and we need to be able to change with the world around us.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: I have a question now, just about your approach to relating to your teams and your leaders within iHeart given that the last couple of years, few years have been very volatile, very challenging from whatever direction you're looking at, global pandemic, inflation, election cycle, and so the line between sort of home and work is blurred, and people are coming to work with a lot of heavy thoughts.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure a lot.
Speaker 3: Of CEOs and leaders in C suite are grappling with this as well. Just how to foster innovation when everything feels like it's on fire. How do you foster inspiration too, because it can be hard going into work with so many constraints at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely not easy, and I think the first step is actually just simply acknowledging that in your talent base or in your employee base, just not pretending that these things aren't issues and aren't still issues. Right, the world changed in twenty twenty, and in some respects we can't pretend that it's back to being exactly the same world today that it was before the pandemic I think we have to acknowledge that life changed and we need to be able to change with the world around us. But I think it's looking for those opportunities of ways to innovate even with those situations. And so in some respects we learned the advantages of being able to create and operate from home. We had a lot of talent that weren't working with us before the pandemic, and then we really learned how to very quickly. When you think about the hundreds of podcasts that we produce, and then suddenly we had to be able to produce all of them remotely and to see a team rally around this, And actually I shouldn't necessarily call it a distraction, but in some ways it was during a really difficult time during the pandemic, to have a team saying, Okay, this is a new challenge, a new focus. We're going to figure out how to very rapidly move hundreds and hundreds of podcasts to remote production. What it opened up for us was that many talent could only produce remotely. Many talent only wanted to be remote and recording their podcast and now that's no longer an issue for us. So I think part of it is that part of it is just trying to be in very regular communication with the team. This actually still goes back to the way we organize is really leaning into that leadership to say, you may have a team of ten as opposed to our team of a couple hundred, I really need for you to stay in communication with your team and make sure that if there is any challenge that that's flagged for us. We tried to get creative in terms of finding small group communication. Something that I try to do pretty regularly is have these you know, not a creative name, but just these coffee talks where we'll take three or four people from different parts of our podcast team all get on Zoom together with no agenda other than getting to know each other for half an hour. We're not talking about work, we're not talking about our mission at iHeart, We're just getting to know each other. What are people reading, what are people watching, what's on their minds with their families? And I think those moments help bring us together as people as well. And it's not easy to try to always find the time to do that for anyone, but I think it pays off to really build those connections.
Speaker 4: I love that. Well, let's talk about advertising a little bit.
Speaker 3: How has that evolved since when you say started in twenty seventeen. I know, iHeart just announced its adoption of unified ID two point zero. Can you talk a little bit about that and how it's revolutionizing the business.
Speaker 2: Actually, the evolution of advertising in podcasting I find to be super interesting because when you go back and you think about some of those early podcasts or even podcasts, you don't have to go that far back, you go back six seven years ago, and the podcast advertisers you were hearing at that point were all what we call direct response advertisers, right your stamps dot Com, your meal kits, your mattress companies, your whatever it may have been, that were all using those discount codes. So the benefit of those being the primary advertisers that were really building the industry is you had to prove that they would perform. You don't continue hearing these advertisers if they're not working. And so that really built the podcast industry, and there was a moment where brands started waking up to this and started realizing, oh wait, if I'm here these same advertisers over and over and over again. It's because people are paying attention, and there was something about the intimacy of that connection between the podcast host and the podcast listener that was just so incredibly effective. And so brand started coming on board and saying, we've got to be a part of this as well. And it was really exciting for us to be I think at the forefront of that, especially as we started launching some of these bigger slates, you know, the Black Effect or Michael Tura or Big Money Players or even partnering with Malcolm Gladwell's Pushkin for several years now that we approached it a bit differently. We said, you know what, for this slate of shows, we're actually only bringing in five advertisers, five category exclusive advertisers that will own the entire slate for their category and be able to be part of what we're trying to build. Here was a really exciting evolution for all of this, and the next phase in that has actually been the ability to reach very specific audiences. So brands started coming on board, but then certain brands were saying, you know, this is all great, but actually, if I'm going to be investing in podcasting, I need to know that I can reach a critical scale in doing this, and so that gets to your sort of the second piece of this, which is the ability to audience target. If you can target anywhere in digital media, you can do the same thing in podcasting. And so part of what we've tried to do is say, Okay, you're trying to reach you know, women twenty five to thirty nine, who are moms, who are the have the following qualifiers. Yes, we can definitely help you do that through this you know celebrity slate of podcast that we have right here. However, we can help you do this at even greater scale across our network of eight hundred shows by really focusing on the shows and the listeners that are reaching that audience. And then the next piece of that has been building more three p sixty ad per programs to say, okay, be part of the podcast, be part of the slate. Let's also extend that into social media. Let's also extend that into video where possible, or into live events, just to continue building this connection. There are actually some really interesting statistics around the improved performance of social media advertising when it follows audio advertising. So as a compliment to that, so it's been something just in educating advertisers to help them understand that as part of a full media program, as part of a full marketing program, podcasting can be just an incredible complement to that.
Speaker 3: I think the limitation of the brands in exclusive category is smart. And also as a podcaster, I really appreciate when it's just sort of a tight group of brands that are involved in the show and then you're not reading mattress ad after a mattress AD. Nothing against the mattress Ad people, but it just creates a more quality experience I think for everybody, listeners, producers, everybody, and of course the sponsor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. We want to have a balance to that.
Speaker 2: I guess the only other thing I'll add with that the type of advertising when we mentioned the ability to reach audiences is it also allowed us to help small the mid size shows grow because previously a big brand might come along and say, Okay, those shows are cute, but like I need scale so to be able to say, okay, well you're coming into these two or three really big shows, but then we're going to help give you the backing of the audience across several others and do have some of these small the mid size shows. Now having fortune five hundred companies, you know, running in their shows has been really exciting for those creators as well.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a lot of work, but also sounds like fun. How do you maintain a work life balance for yourself?
Speaker 1: Will I'll be completely honest.
Speaker 2: I mean it is one of those things that I sort of force myself, not even just annually, but probably every six months to do a little bit of a reset and say, what is it that I'm going to do outside of work, whether it's with family, whether it's with personal interest, to make sure that you're just working every hour of every day. When you love what you do, when you love the company that you're working with, it's really easy to get pulled in that direction. You could work all the time. It's not good for you. I don't think it's good ultimately for the company. And so what I've tried to do is find certain passions that you can follow. For me, it's been running over the past several years to use that as not only something to foster physical health, but really for my own mental health. To be able to just step away from it all, put the phone down, start running. Sounds very far as gumpy of me, and I'm from Alabama, so I'm just going to say yeah too strongly. But it's been a big part of my life. This past year, I ran the New York Marathon for the first time, and I have just been trying to get out and run as much as I can, but finding things like that that can provide a balance to what you're doing day to day.
Speaker 4: Living in Birmingham. How has that worked just logistically with iHeart based in New York and a lot of the media world in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, iHeart is a super interesting company on this front. When you think about the fact that we're really built around one hundred and fifty different markets around the country. These are radio stations in every single major market, mid size market, some small markets around the country, and so we have executive team members who are really all over the place. It does mean that I'm traveling a good bit. It means that I'm in New York a couple times a month, I'm probably in la once a month or so, and then in other locations as events or needs come up. But I don't think it's been a real limiting factor. And I think back to the sort of work life balance piece of it, and also just kind of stepping away from the chaos of cities that I love, but the chaos that can come along with those cities. I also think too, it's good for our executive team to be spread a bit because we've done a lot of studies on this and looked at what we call sometimes the ignored consumer or the new American consumer, where you're recognizing that not every consumer, not every listener that we're trying to reach, is based in New York and LA and it's easy to sort of fall into that trap of creating all of your content specifically for those audiences, while of course there should be content created for them, we really want to be able to think about everybody. The fact that iheartreaches ninety ninety one percent of Americans on a monthly basis, we've got to be making content for everybody.
Speaker 4: So as we.
Speaker 3: Approach our last few minutes here will I kind of want to get your wisdom for those in the audience who are listening and thinking, you know, I want to pursue a path in media or any industry really, and I have a lot of ambition. I feel like almost are running up against a timeline, you know, in the sense that by the time I'm this age or that age, I want to have accomplished so much. So much of what success is is defined by when you achieve that success, right, right, And I'm just curious, what would you say to that person who's feeling that strain.
Speaker 4: Did you ever feel this way? Do you have a.
Speaker 3: Timeline in your own head about when you'd like to achieve certain milestones?
Speaker 2: You know, I think anybody who claims they have no timeline in their head is probably not telling the truth. Whether it's a healthy thing for us to do or not. It's funny that you mentioned this though, because actually just before this, we were planning out some of what we'll be doing together with Martha Stewart, who's a great partner of ours, has a podcast with us. You know, she's, of course in her early eighties. Everybody's talking about the new documentary about her, and she's never had a hotter business moment than right now. Like, it is really exciting to watch everything that she's accomplishing, and so much of her success has come from her forties and fifties on and it's actually been really fun to see that. So that is true, But at the same time. In terms of those that are earlier in their career, maybe in their twenties and thirties, and trying to think about what they want to do next, they're interested in moving into the media space. I think there's a couple of things. I think one is to be consumers of that media. And I was talking to somebody earlier today who is passionate about one category in podcasting and is looking into breaking into podcasting. My recommendation was to also start consuming content and other categories, to listen to categories that you've never really thought about before, because it sort of challenges your idea of what it is to produce a podcast, to create something new, and so I think it is very important to try to consume as much as you possibly can of a variety of things, and then to also just put yourself in that space. For some people, I will use podcasting as an example to just launch your own podcasts. You know, I talk to a lot of students and a lot of young professionals. There's such a low barrier to entry, and the only goal shouldn't be I need thousands or tens of thousands or millions of listeners. It should be actually be to fine tune your creative skills and your production skills, and just being out in the world. The number of people that have landed jobs or landed podcast gigs because they just started a thing and they just got it out in the world. I think it is really important to just try to do that. And even if it's an entry level job at a company that you're in interested in. We've seen that firsthand with people coming into a place like iHeart, showing how good they are at the job, showing how passionate they are, and being able to sort of advance from there. So there's no easy paths to do it, but I think part of it is just taking that leap and putting yourself out there to try to get into the.
Speaker 3: Space, sort of like Will in college is started the magazine that's right now.
Speaker 1: No idea what you're doing, but you just do it, just get in the deep end.
Speaker 4: I'm an author.
Speaker 3: I like to ask Guess a lot this kind of question, and you're an author too, So here here we go, and we're in the same boat.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: If you had to write a memoir or someone was going to write a biography about Will Pearson, what should the title be? And maybe we should ask your friend, yes, your co founder.
Speaker 2: The title whiz, that's probably what the title should be. Is what should Mangesh call this book? I think it's going to be it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what would Mangesh do?
Speaker 2: That's yes, Yes, I've got a bracelet that says it the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's awesome. And finally, will we're going to ask all of our guests this. You are no, you're guess, so you get the first stab at it. But what does leading by example mean to you?
Speaker 4: Question Mark?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, actually, I think it's nice that we were able to talk about this a little bit early in the episode. When leading by example is being there with the team when they're doing the hard thing and being a part of that in any way possible, and not simply being a leader that's sort of passing down a directive and saying, go do this. It's when you've got a hard decision or a challenging thing, or a difficult partner or an advertiser that's frustrated or whatever it may be. Don't always leave your team to do the work. Actually get your hands dirty with them and get in the middle of it. And then they see that and you and understand that there's really not a task that's below any one of us, that we're all part of a team here. To me, that's been the most important part of how to lead by example in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Will Pearson, thank you so much. You are a great guest to start with, and we'll be listening.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for newsh It was great to be with you.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: I liked that. That was a really interesting conversation with Will.
Speaker 3: And I know I'm not the only one who took away some great points because I have Kia here with me who's been stinking in on this conversation. She's our supervising producer on this show. Hi Kia, Hi, So you have worked under Will and you've attended some of his coffee talks. Are they as cheesy as he says they sound?
Speaker 4: They're great?
Speaker 5: Let me talk about reality TV when I'm watching.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 4: It was good to connect.
Speaker 5: You know, Will is in Birmingham, as you discussed, so we don't always see him face to face in the New York office, but it was nice to connect with him and other producers on the team.
Speaker 4: And how long you've been working in podcasting, Kia.
Speaker 5: I've been working in podcasting. I guess technically since like twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: So you've been in the mix for a while. You've been watching the evolution both as like someone who works in the space but also who's a consumer. Is there something you really appreciated Will's leadership approach or anything he said?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think something he touched on. Like we said, timing is super important. You feel like you're hustling. I mean, yeah, I came from like a radio kind of podcasting background, and then I started my independent podcast and then iHeart actually found me and that's how I got into podcasting full time. So it's been amazing to see like what iHeart can do and also how you can create podcasts as an independent creator, and how I Heart really has the tools to shape the podcasting slates. So when Will talked about timing, you know, with how stuff works and how I Heart really I think is beneficial to the podcasting world because they got in at the right time. And I think timing and luck is so important, not just in podcasting, but like your career at all. Like if I didn't start my podcast in twenty nineteen, I probably won't have this job now.
Speaker 4: It's so much more crowded.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think often we feel like we have to have all the right answers, we have to be super ready, All the stars have to align before we can start. You know, if someone comes back to me and they're like, should I start a podcast? It feels like there's millions of podcasts, I'm like, yeah, there are, but do it anyway? Yeah, the best time to start anything is yesterday. Yes, I think that's good.
Speaker 5: And someone made this comment and podcasting and they're like, there's a million books. Can you tell people not to write any more books?
Speaker 4: Obviously I would have a career. Yeah. I mean he started a magazine in college. Yeah, super impressive. I wish I would just.
Speaker 3: Start something, you know, and you'll learn the goal is not to like make it the next billion dollar publicly traded company, but especially for those who are listening who are in the earlier stage of their careers, like it's really just about making a mess of things and moving on as quickly as possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, I think that's great advice. I love to hear your takeaways from this conversation.
Speaker 4: With Will Well.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I just liked his vibe. I thought he was a really calm person. I don't know if that's true because I haven't actually been in a boardroom with him or you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, it is very true. I will say as someone who breaks at iHeart and sees will he's chill. It's honestly fascinating that he's an exact like he's just the cool guy that wears like the T shirt.
Speaker 3: And here's why I think that's true, because he's gotten his reps in early Yes, but I'm sure along the way there were stresses, and so I appreciate that about him. I think to our point earlier, just getting into the habit of starting to do something early on and trusting yourself and knowing I'm going to fail, I'm going to make mistakes, but I'm getting a head start goes a very long way, because now when you are leading a team, huge team, I think he has a lot of those experiences to fall back on and knows what's worth fighting for and what's not, Like what's worth stressing about and what's not.
Speaker 4: You know, he just has had a long life of doing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think we all appreciate someone who's been in it. So it's not the same as like someone who's just like jumping from, you know, a CEO position to another CEO position from like a different industry. It's like he's worked in this industry, he's done it, he's made the transition, he's seen the evolution of podcasting.
Speaker 1: He's not the.
Speaker 5: Typical corporate execs and right, we can all really appreciate that.
Speaker 3: And he doesn't pretend to know everything. Yeah, I appreciate it that he leans on others to guide him. And that's true leadership. Right when you are in the room with the right people, you surround yourself with the right people. You don't assume that you are the smartest person in the room or should necessarily be the one to have the last word. I think that's true leadership. And you know, I might be biased because I'm in the podcast space, but I think he'd.
Speaker 4: Be a great person to work for. Yeah, no, he is. That's a testament.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much to Will Pearson for joining us today. I hope you enjoyed our first episode. We have many more to come, and in the meantime, if you like what you're hearing, please follow and subscribe to this podcast so you don't miss any episodes. And of course we want to hear your thoughts to make this the best show possible, so please leave a review. In the meantime, you can find me at Farnushcharabi on Instagram and the so Many podcast I'll see you next Time.
Speaker 4: This podcast is.
Speaker 3: A production of iHeartRadio's Ruby Studio. Our executive producer is Matt Stillo. Our supervising producer is Nikia Swinton. This podcast was edited by Sierra Spreen