Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal Hell that for me. I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Ada State? Is that woo woof?
Speaker 2: And them and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal Boys and girls. My name is Tye hilden Brandt. That gentleman over there in Chicago Land, the one and only Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how you doing today?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good. I am especially excited for today's show. It is Chicago Land. I'm not in the city of Chicago. I'm in the burbs. It's not nearly as exciting as being in a very very good city. But it's a deeply personal show for me today. Tye, Okay, because in years past, and we'll explain it further when we get to it, I know we have news to get into. But in years past, we've been blessed to be able to give out watchless spots. You're Grows, your ray Guy, your Nagirsky or blittn a cough. They just they tossed us a few watchless spots. We were able to toss that to listeners, and I am grateful today to be what the John Junker, the Bill Hancock, the Solid Verbal Official first annual Washed List, And I don't know if we're going to give out specific awards for the most Washed responses, but I feel a current coursing through my creative veins tie that I don't know if i've felt since maybe since we met, I don't know. Yeah, I'm feeling the juice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that is quite the introduction, my friend. And we will get into why you are bringing these things up in just a little bit after we do get through news. There's a bunch of news to get through. Hope, wherever you are, you are having a good week, you're having a good Friday, you're ready for the weekend, you're staying safe, you're trying to be happy. These are weird times, perhaps end times. Who the hell knows. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: That took a turn.
Speaker 2: Thank you so it's been a week.
Speaker 1: It has been it has been a week.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you so much for giving us some of your precious time. Don't forget going out to our website, solid verbal dot com if you want to find some or all of our old stuff, and subscribe to the newsletter if you don't already subscribe to the show, we would urge you to do so. We don't know which direction the season's gonna go here over the next few months, could go a number of different ways. Right, stay here with us, subscribe to the show if you like the show going out, and leave us a five star review. Every little bit helps. We pledge our allegiance to you, our trusted for ballers. As we get close to the college football season, in whatever form that takes.
Speaker 1: I would think that's true. Yeah, we're doing twice a week right now. And as we get closer to knowing if there's football and have confirmation that things are moving and progressing in such a way that makes it seem like we're going to have some kind of football season, only ramping up from there, ty, only ramping up from there.
Speaker 2: And if you don't already, follow us on social media on Instagram, on Twitter, on Facebook. We post some stuff out YouTube, not as much lately, but we promise we're going to be doing more of that in the immedia future. So exciting times ahead. We know football at some point will be ahead, we just don't don't quite know what form it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be in.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that in our news bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a grab bag. It's a mystery bag. You see that on a bunch of website selling stuff, which's like, well, we have a bunch of shirts, or you can get a mystery box the mission. I think that's what we have ahead of us, sort of a JJ Abrams Damon lindelof mystery Box of a season.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. Okay, let's get into it. Okay, we have bad news.
Speaker 1: How when did you wake up this morning?
Speaker 2: I've been up since four o'clock this morning.
Speaker 1: My god, TI. Well, good for your breaking news drop, because that had some sustenance behind it. I like it.
Speaker 2: After this, I'm going to collapse in a pile of my own sweat and perhaps go to sleep after I do the edit.
Speaker 1: Hit me with some news.
Speaker 2: The PAC twelve, your favorite conference, finalizing a ten game conference only schedule for the twenty twenty college football season, featuring a delayed start. As you know, teams typically play a nine game conference slate. In the Pac twelve, they've got a ten game model, the nine plus one, So you would play all five teams in your division and five of these six teams from the opposite division. That season would begin on September the nineteenth. A's say, what three week delay? I guess that's according to Dennis Dodd from CBS Sports, it would give the league fourteen weeks to complete those ten games. There'd be a conference title game that we played in any of the first three weekends in December, so they're giving themselves a little bit of an escape pod there. It all depends, obviously on how the season and the virus progresses, but this is notable because it's the first time we've seen a major conference actually frame out what this conference only ten game only slate would look like if and when we do a football in the fall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be clear, as of the time we're recording this, only the Pac twelve and Big Ten have announced conference only slates of the Power five conferences, correct, correct, So I would anticipate the Big Ten attempting to do something similar as a nine game conference scheduling entity. And it's TBD we'll see because we've seen stories about what Alabama perhaps in talks with BYU to replace USC to open up their season, so it seems like at least the SEC is planning on filling a full twelve game slate until I mean We don't hear a lot of confidence from Sankee, the Conference commissioner about the way things are trending, but in terms of rumors or news stories, it seems like the SEC is going to do everything it possibly can. Good for the PAC twelve for trying to add content and inventory to the schedule, because nine games would be it feels significantly fewer than twelve, even though nine to twelve are not vastly different numbers. Oregon Utah I saw as a potential tenth game, which would be great because that's a rematch of the Pactoral Championship from last season. I would think, you know, if they're looking just directly at what games would generate the most interest, Washington ASU is currently not on the schedule. That's not a crossover divisional game that could be very interesting. And I actually looked at this across the sport itself that if at some point the SEC ACC and Big twelve, and obviously the Big twelve is in a different situation with only ten total teams, if they went to a ten game schedule or at least a plus one schedule, some of the games that are not crossover games that could be added are actually kind of amazing tie. I don't know if you looked at this.
Speaker 2: At all, Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 1: We got. We could see a Clemson North Carolina rematch, we could see Penn State Wisconsin. Seems high level to me. It's my opinion. Florida Auburn or Florida Alabama, the Florida Gators miss both of the Alabama schools. Ohio State Minnesota could be all sorts of fun even G five wise, if you look at the crossovers that are not happening that could in a potential plus one situation Boise, San Diego State smu Ucfre's there's a lot of potential. I think we could get a Georgia LSU SEC championship game rematch if that were a plus one potential to really, I mean, this sort of goes along with our Bangers Only show, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could we could.
Speaker 1: Be adding the series. Yeah, if we're if we're subtracting non conference games, something that affects the total. But because obviously tea in the same conference are on the same sort of wavelength in terms of power structure, there's potential for added bangers, Tie.
Speaker 2: Added bangers, and you know, as we talked about postseason possibilities on the Wednesday Show. It would if you could do it, it would lend some credence to the whole. Hey, let's go back to the nineteen eighties model. Maybe there aren't bowls, but let's get some folks voting on this. I think it would make things easier if everyone played within conference and certainly the same number of games. But remains to be seen. We'll see what happens as other conferences announce their intentions. Everything that I have read says that the next two weeks will be very critical in college football. Before the end of the month, let's say we should have some real clarity on where the sport is headed. You know, obviously contingent on a lot of factors, and they change by the minute, but keep your eyes peeled the next two weeks. Next two weeks should be very meaningful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's probably right. The thing that's interesting to me, though, so the first part is that the PAC twelve is saying we would play a conference championship game any of the first like three.
Speaker 2: Weeks, first three weeks on December.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's almost an admission of there's a good chance the season might end with the conference championship games and they're not be a postseason, which is something we discussed on the Postseason Possibility show we recorded earlier in the week, where it's just like, yeah, I don't know if the Pac twelve is going to have a championship game on December twentieth, if the Rose Bowl as scheduled for the thirty first or the second, or whenever it is, it's a it's a different dynamic, especially if other conferences are have three four more weeks off or something like that. The other thing that's interesting to me is the delayed start. And I know we can talk about this with Notre Dame as well and with Jack Swarbrick. The ad mentioned the delayed start thing is interesting because everybody has known that there could be a pretty dramatic issue with a college football season since what mid late March YEP, when things really started beca coming serious and then asking for two three more weeks for things to somehow get better in that time span, are good enough or it's just like, Okay, we have a situation where we need two months of falling cases and hospitalizations and deaths in a state or something like that, because that's that's been sort of key in terms of reopening phases. It seems like it's so little, so late. Well that I mean it just like what the difference that two weeks are going to make seem so minimal with all the time that schools and conferences and governing bodies have had to lay out exact contingency plans as it relates to timing, almost like having a you know, a year end book report in fourth grade and asking for an extra thirty eight minutes on the day it's do like, well, what's that going to do.
Speaker 2: Look, we've discussed on this show before. Hope is not a plan. Now I think for for optimism is not a plan. I'm not going to go into what we've done as a country. I'll talk about what college football has done as a sport. It's much harder for college football was always going to be. There is no centralized governing authority here. Sure, the NCAA plays a part in that, but ultimately it's a series of tribes that have agreed to work together. So with that as the backdrop, Dan, there was never a common thread here. The common thread is they want to play football. But in terms of how they're going to play football that has never existed the fact that we're where we're at now, we got cases spiking, it makes sense to me that they would want a little extra time to figure it out, to see where things are going. Look at what the PAC twelve's done here, fourteen weeks to play a ten game slate, and then they give themselves a three week window potentially to play that championship game. What's that like six seven weeks of wiggle room in there depending on how things shake out. So nobody sure which way things are headed. It's good to see them putting some definition around it, and I would expect that other conferences would soon follow suit. But you know, we got a long way to go before we get the September nineteenth. Yeah, you mentioned Jack Swarbrick and Notre Dame. He is on the record as of Tuesday saying that he wants a delayed start and he's targeting eight to ten games. The quote here is quote, I don't anticipate a twelve game schedule. I'd like to start a little later. The value of starting later is that you really get to see how your university has done. You have the benefit of all that information and knowledge and so I'd like to start a little later. The number for me is probably somewhere between eight and ten games. But whatever is right for the health and safety of the players. So Notre Dame on record, we know based on Pete Sampson told us that the phone's ringing off the hook to play Notre Dame again. A lot remains to be seen. That's because of this virus.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like, by the way, I like the ad of the one major program that can govern itself without answering to many other people. Fully, he is like, oh, we were like six games. What if we've played the number of games that were contractually obligated to play against acc teams. That feels like a good number. What do you think, hies?
Speaker 2: Speaking of that pesky virus, Michigan State has paused football workouts. They had a staff member test positive just one. As you may know, we were getting into that phase of twenty hour weeks as it relates to workouts, and they're going to pause that until they get more complete surveillance testing as they're calling it. We had news of Jason Kandell at Toledo, there, forty year old head football coach, testing positive for the coronavirus. He is not currently experiencing any symptoms, but he is self isolating for ten days, so we wish him well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did see that our friends over at the Athletic I think it was Bruce and Andy. I know Bruce is involved Bruce Felman about what would happen if a head coach where were to be to come down with the virus and test positive and had to take time away from the team. Is what do contingency plans look like among different teams? Is it automatically going to be a coordinator. Is it sort of a long tenured defensive line coach who also has the assistant head coach title. It's a very new contingency plan as it relates to this sport. But it's fascinating to see where teams will turn. I don't think I could tell you I knew where Oregon would turn. I don't know if you know. I mean. Clark Lee obviously interviewed for a couple big jobs last year and I think was the runner up, I think to Jeff Hafley at Boston College. So obviously people are looking at him with some degree of head coaching acumens. So I guess that's where Notre Dame would turn. But it is fascinating because we do see this situation come up with coaches who are fired midyear or have to leave because of some controversy midyear and get fired. Essentially, it'll be fascinating across the sport to see what would happen if there is, in the worst possible circumstance, a number of schools that have to make that decision.
Speaker 2: Well, we do wish mister Candle well totally. He'll be able to bounce back quickly and forcefully. I saw that Mac Brown and the rest of the staff down at UNC is going to wear face shields and sticks. They're going to use sticks to socially distanced during practices. I don't know how that will translate to the field, but seems like a bit of a challenge as it relates to football.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm great with teams taking creative measures to keep everybody as healthy as possible in pursuit of there being a safe, healthy season. If that means and this is my visualization, North Carolina coaches wearing sort of grass skirts that stick straight out six feet in every direction. Yep, so they will touch sticks to lack of a better term every time they come near each other.
Speaker 2: Great, great, all right, two other quick tidbits before we get into the wash list. We talked about this Senate Judiciary Committee hearing that took place, I guess on Wednesday, pertaining to the nil legislation that's floating around. The University of Pittsburgh Athletic director Heather Like also took part, and she asked members to prohibit betting on collegiate sports. During that hearing on Wednesday, she appeared remotely. She testified that the presidents of the acc unanimously opposed gambling on collegiate sports over concerns for the well being of the student body, the athletes, and potential threats to the integrity of competitions. Dan, I missed the pearl clutching over betting on sports. It's been a while since we heard something like this in college sports. There's been a lot of steam on. Now you can bet on games in some states, and you know it just the nostalgia here. Upon reading this quote, was it really struck me?
Speaker 1: So friends, I have a seven point plan to get this toothpaste back in the two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you with me? Okay, good luck with that, miss Like, and finally, the West Virginia football team and defensive coordinator Vic Kanig have officially parted ways. You may recall we discussed this incident a couple of weeks ago. This is Kerry Martin Junior. This is him detailing the mistreatment that he received from Kanig. In a social media post back at the end of June, he alleged inappropriate comments about religion, politics, and the recent protests against racism and police brutality. Kanig was placed on administrative leave following that allegation. He ushould an apology. He again reiterated that apology Wednesday, but he and West Virginia go in opposite directions, which at this point seems like it's probably for the best.
Speaker 1: Seems like it's for the best, and hopefully it's a big win for accountability within West Virginia football and how players and coaches interact and communicate moving forward. I hope that's the future of Mountaineer football because I sure as hell like it when major programs are operating in an optimal way.
Speaker 2: So what sound do we want to play for this next bit? Because it's not quite email, but it is sort of user response. What what are we feeling here.
Speaker 1: I don't know ty, what I mean? What do you have at the stad What do you have ready right now? Uh?
Speaker 2: Okay, guess who just got murdered?
Speaker 1: Will that work? Yeah? My youth, My youth got murdered, Ty, talk me murdered by father, time, Talk.
Speaker 2: Me through what exactly we got going on in this show here?
Speaker 1: I just I was seeing and it's that season in July when we're normally around these conference media days that you know, players are showing up for and they're appearing on watch lists, and we're we're saying, oh my gosh, okay, this guy is definitely like a Bnarik candidate, And it turns out there's one hundred other guys Rimmington, you know, there's seventy three Rimington finalists, and it's a way for schools to tout really well performing players. But it's kind of also a joke. So, knowing what our audience looks like and is comprised of age wise and experience wise, I figured that instead of giving away the watchless spots that we've got given away in years past, that we were just going to take submissions about why certain people and I don't have the list I have the list of washed attributes. I'm not crediting certain people. Just know that these are all contributions unless noted otherwise, like that it's your contribution or my contribution. I don't know if you have things in your head, but I asked people to let us know what when they realized that they were old, slash washed or washed up? And what did it for them to say? Oh, I am I'm not seventeen anymore. I am absolutely very I'm on the wrong side of washed. Yeah, And so I just want to honor some of the best of these. I have them all sort of bullet pointed out in front of you, and I have a bunch of do you want to start with our own elements of when we realized I do, tell me give me some You're in your what late thirties at this point, mid to late thirties, yep, yep, So I think we're There are obviously people that listen to the show that are quite old, that are older than we are, if that can even be possible. But we have people in our that are in their forties, fifties, sixties and beyond to listen to the show. Some of our absolute best listeners who sort of laugh at the idea when we talk about the Oh my god, I thirty six, Holy moly. Yeah, But give me some items from your life where you said to yourself, whoa if this wasn't a thing before?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the first time you throw out your back sneezing.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: A classic is you know, everyone goes through that. I don't care what age you are, I don't care you know where what you're upbringing. Everyone has the awkward sneeze.
Speaker 1: It binds us as a people does.
Speaker 2: It's the singularity. It binds us all. So there's that one. I've had a lot of those back issues, just weird back issues. And you know one thing that that dawned on me when I saw you tweet this out I had. I had an instance not so long ago where I was at a golf course, woke up with a little bit of a stiff back, and walked into the clubhouse, paid the greens fee, and on the way out, there's a set of double doors, and at some point between pushing open the first door on my way out and pushing open the second outer door, something with that first interaction did my back in and it seized up. I for the first time experienced back spasms, and I remember, you know, thinking, while I'm watching a sports game of some sort like back spasms, what's that. I had my first encounter with back spasms between those two doors, and I collapsed, collapsed, writhing in pain, probably made something of a whimper. My friends helped me up. I proceeded to then try to take a shot off the first t again collapsed, grasstaing my pants and rode in the cart the rest of the round. That was really my first major try to go home now, So you were just there. I was just there, and it was. It was made a little bit worse by the fact that the club pro driving around the course to make sure that, you know, people were keeping pace and playing by the rules. He thought that I he thought that I was playing, even though I had gone back in for refund after I realized I was hurt, and so he he sort of gave me the business too. But yeah, that was That was a seminal moment for me, in realizing that I was a bit over the hill and maybe not at my peak athletic, you know, state, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I mean that was that was the majority, or I wouldn't say majority. That was a healthy chunk of the responses we got. We're just like, tried to play basketball, nope, tried to tried to turn a single into a double, nope. We got a lot of those. So when you're in the cart having thrown out your back severely, are you just honing your like at a boy that'll do like anytime anybody hits a passively okay shot. Well, I mean I used to be a caddy back in the day. You know that language.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my college job. So I was just a caddy for my friends and helping them regreens and taking the pin out and you know, making sure that clubs weren't left behind. That sort of thing. That was about all I could do because I couldn't swing sure, and you know, so it was it was an okay afternoon. It wasn't quite what I expected, but.
Speaker 1: Give me some more okay.
Speaker 2: So that that was definitely a big one. I have a problem with the music thing. I try some of these. We got a lot of these. I try to stay up to date with the music. I try, and you know that you do a pretty good job. I do do a pretty good job. New Taylor Swift album by the way coming out at midnight.
Speaker 1: I saw that. I saw that.
Speaker 2: Case you weren't aware. But there's a lot in the music realm going on right now that is totally over my head. And whereas before I could at least listen to the pop stations on my way into work, now because no one's doing the whole driving to work thing, I am missing that key component. So for me, that's a big deal. The other thing, and I'm surprised we didn't get more of these, but you do reach a certain point in your adulthood when the hangover from Saturday night lasts until about Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 1: That'll happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happens, and I would just say that it's not fun. It definitely changes your outlook on adult libations.
Speaker 1: One of my big problems is not even the music, because if I listen to the top twelve songs in the country, I'll probably find I'm like, that's pretty good. This is I like what they're doing here. I like the sound of this Billie Eilish, something like that. My problem is so many of the artists' names now are a mix between symbols, numbers, and intentional misspellings, where I'm terrified like in polite in person conversation, if music comes up and I have something to say about one of these artists, I'm like, yeah, I think I was listening to churches?
Speaker 2: Is it churches? Is it they go there by churches? But I know they do. There's definitely a v in there church.
Speaker 1: And to Goshi, sixes is nine's, I just have a lot of trouble. Tie, I have a lot of trouble, and I don't know if I have the I have it in me to do the research. And so that's something that really hits me with the music. I was when I was in California, I was doing a lot of driving, more so than usual, and we had people that mentioned this where it's just like you turn on an oldie station and three eleven is on Oh Yeah, Like, I'm sorry, Nick Hexham and band mates are not oldies, and you're like, oh, this sounds from nineteen ninety nine, it's twenty one years ago. That is twenty one yeah. So when there are bands like that that are featured on those like classic rock stations. We hear Weezer on classic rock. Excuse excuse me, I'm sorry. This is the blue album from Oh Yeah. Nineteen ninety four. Yeah, that's rough.
Speaker 2: The music thing's rough. The weird back injuries thing to me is right up there with the lengthened hangover.
Speaker 1: But wake up with sore hips.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I did nothing physical yesterday. When I say nothing, I mean I walked the solid toddler three blocks and came home. And when he went to the backyard at the place where staying, I sat. And then this morning I had sore hips from I didn't do a push up, I didn't do crunches, I didn't do any stretching, and I woke up and I'm positive it's because of something I did while I slept or something. Sore hips flexers flame him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've I've noticed that I can't quite do the marathon athletic competitions the way I used to. Of course I used to play in all day softball tournaments or play thirty six holes of golf. The thirty six holes of golf is still doable, but you wake up the next day and your your back feels feels like it's gone to a different place. The all day softball thing. I've done that on a hot day a couple times over the last few years and between like day one and two of the Tournament of two, basically two all day softball tournaments. Between days one and two, you wake up and yeah, it's you're not quite in peak athletic form, is all I can say.
Speaker 1: Can I rapid fire? You're one hundred percent right? Can I rapid fire? Some of these bullet points that I had that I came up with myself in maybe three minutes. It was one of the easier lists I've made. I give recommendations all the time to people about icing after they work out, like, yeah, you know, doing sprints, doing interval sprints is great. You got ice, you gotta be And then I give them recommendations about the right ice technique. I'll do that all the time. Yesterday last night, I was catching up with a friend and I had recommended to him former sponsor of the show Oliver's the shorts. Yeah yeah, And we had an extended conversation about how versatile these shorts were in terms of where you could wear them too, and then we talked about shirt fabrics for a good amount of time. That's a thing that I do now. I talk about planner fasci itis. I haven't had planner fascia itis in like four years. But I'll recommend the Planner fasci idis spiky ball that I used to stretch things out and the night splint I wore. You know what's awesome, Tie, here's what's awesome dating somebody you're super into, which I did with with Jody, with and I when we were DATD and then like a year into your relationship saying, hey, I really messed up my foot in a bad way playing pickup basketball. So from now on there might be a a rock hard I know you settle going a rock hard splint on my foot under the covers. That's something you're gonna have to get used to. Dating me, it was like thirty one at the time. That's that was the thing. I stopped drinking, mostly not because I was drinking too much. It certainly was not. It affected my sleep, and I was just like, I'm gonna stop drinking. Sleep is too important. The dad jokes come at such a rapid fire clip Tie, and it's it's embarrassing, but I can't stop. I cannot stop. I set iPhone reminders about the last water to drink before I go to sleep because I don't want to wake up and pee multiple times. I have an iPhone reminder that says that say, okay, this is the last water of the night. Do you read similar note? Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent to Actually I have I remind myself at noon to drink water to set the tone for the day, and then I think at eight pm, last water.
Speaker 2: Of So all that hydrate stuff that you did last season on the show was actually legit. That's like fully your creed, not just for the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm fully proud of my regularity. I will I will announce my retirement from various activities. I don't know if you've done that, Like, no, I'm retired, i'med, I ask, Yeah, yeah, I retire from various activities. I roast a lot of vegetables, and I'm very happy to talk about my roasted vegetables. I think about what I'd look for in a second wife tie and it's not at all wife wife. I think about when when Jody with and I comes to her senses and leaves me for somebody far better. I think about what my search for a second wife would look like, and it's the least creepy like at first. Yeah, yeah, I'm very open, but she does. She knows anything I mentioned on the show. She definitely knows. I'm obviously way too open about it. She doesn't listen though, right, No, she not totally doesn't listen. But on first inclination, if you were like a creepy older dude, like I'm definitely trending towards You're like, I want to I want to marry a twenty five year old, a beautiful twenty five year old. And then I realized that that would involve going out on night dates and that, and I just I don't have it in me, Tie, I don't have it in me. So I've I've sort of really adjusted what I would look for in a second wife, and it involves a lot of like breakfast, sandwich dates, involves a lot of that. I talk about Trader Joe's foods and new new products a lot. I'm more excited if I go to a dinner party, or if I'm hanging out with other parents or other people whatever at a playground and somebody brings up a new item at Trader Joe's, I will bring the conversation to a flip and halt, like, wait a minute, where do you use this maple glaze carrots. Oh, it's a good call. Used you have the sea salt, you have the sea salt grinder. Yeah, that's me, ty, I am so old and so happy to talk about New Trader Joe's products. That's just a three minute sampling.
Speaker 2: Three minute sampling.
Speaker 1: There are so many items.
Speaker 2: Another thing for me. I find that And I don't know when this happened. I now have a very fond appreciation for Broadway plays. Yeah, okay, I was never into that. I'm still not really, but now it's like, yeah, what artistry, what.
Speaker 1: Talent, the gallants performances. Can I just give you two sweet ones that I came up with right before we started. You ever listened to people that are in their twenties and they say they use the word stan as a verb stan, like we stan the yah I don't know, we stand the Brooklyn nine nine cast, We stan you know some like person in our group that they are stands for like a super fan. No, you've never heard that term. Never, You've never heard that, Like I'm a solid verbal stand No. In reference to like the M and M song about the crazy super fan, I'm aware of the song. That's what I thought of, But I've never heard of that. No, but that's where it comes from. Have you ever heard people mentioning that they're part of a hive? No? Really no, I've heard both of these things with people in their twenties, and it mortifies me. It mortifies me to my very core. The other thing is my views on traveling in basketball have evolved to the point where I know I'm wrong. I know I'm wrong. I know that the game has evolved to the point where there are eurosteps and continuations and whatever. I can't I can't watch basketball. And I love about watching basketball. I do do it college and the NBA. I can't watch a euro step and I can't watch a gather step without thinking, folks, this isn't basketball. Folks, folks, this is not basketball. This is not how it was intended. And then I catch myself and I'm like, wow, I'm a thousand years old. That's definitely hit me a bunch of times.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's go through some of these that. Let's go through that had come in. You know, my my favorite. We had a good one come in about you know, throwing out a back while doing laundry. You know, just the word back injuries, we got a lot of those.
Speaker 1: The other one there, I tell people to use their knees so much more often that like with the knees, with the knees.
Speaker 2: The other one that cracked me up was someone wrote in said the first time I said sciatica.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, the.
Speaker 2: First time I said sciatica when going to bed past ten feels like something had gone terribly wrong. I'll haffing it all nither.
Speaker 1: I've been there. We've got a lot of TikTok responses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I you know I'm tracking with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So may I ask? Are you do you have TikTok on your phone?
Speaker 2: Do I? I think I'm I think I do. Still I did, and then I didn't, and then I think I put it back on to watch something specific, but I don't remember what. It's been a while.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna guess. Is Kate a big TikToker? No? No, okay, Jody's not either. No. Have you watched tiktoks that make their way to Instagram or Twitter? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's hard not to.
Speaker 1: So I instinctively when I saw, I mean, TikTok is such a silly thing to say out loud, so that's already minus points for me, and then the fact that it was so popular with young people, like, god, this is probably really stupid. And then you see what comes out of TikTok on Instagram, Twitter or whatever when it gets shared to those and I gotta say, ty, it seems amazing. It seems pretty incredible. The level of content is not bad, No, it's pretty I think the I don't know how I would explain it to somebody that just has heard the name but hasn't actually watched TikTok videos. It seems like there's always a reveal, right, there's like a there's a premise and a reveal, and it's meant to be funny and sort of like a meme. I know this makes me sound one thousand years old trying to explain TikTok, but I from what I've seen, it seems like a good time. But I guess it's just a choice amount. I don't know if you've seen the guy who did the uh, the West Virginia thing. Oh yeah, guy's incredible. Well, like they say drunk thoughts, are they drunk words or sober thoughts? And then they show the same It's just it. I want to hate it, but everything I've seen, for the most part pretty great. And I felt that same way about Vine too, Like six seconds, come on, what are we doing? Then you sit and watch a twelve minute Vine marathon of somebody like Griffin macelroy or something. You're like, it's pretty great, pretty great. I can't argue with the results here.
Speaker 2: So let's go through some of these, some of these user submissions.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm ready are washed list?
Speaker 2: Someone says, when I realized I liked Kashi Cereal, Yeah, not bad, No, I mean because.
Speaker 1: It sucks you in with like the fiber stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, well, need to get that fiber.
Speaker 1: Could use fiber.
Speaker 2: You need to get that fiber. Okay, had to go to physical therapy to get my shoulder fixed after trying to ski grind in the Kitty Terrain park off a green trail in Jackson Hole. A lot of words there. The green trails are generally the easy ones, I think. So the word ski grind does scare me. And I've been a skier for a long time, but it sounds difficult. Yeah, I mean, I don't know if that's necessarily rising to the level of feeling old. But then again, I don't know if this is like a former ski jumper.
Speaker 1: Well, it just sounds very risky. Tie, it sounds very risky because skiing in and of itself, I've snowboarded some, but skiing in and of itself is you know, it's a physical activity, is risky. And I understand how old this makes me seem. You start adding words to what you're doing on the slopes like grind, like rail, like jump like pipe.
Speaker 2: That's Tony Hawk territory right there. Forget it.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's for for people above twenty eight thirty one. I could be mistaken, but it seems like there has to be.
Speaker 2: A cutoff point unless you are actually Tony Hawk. Then no, yeah that counts. Someone says started having to take Osteo biflex this year because my knees couldn't take anything more than a five K without barking.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, no, that sounds that sounds correct.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 1: Does the word antioxidant get you going a little bit? I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anyone really knows what antioxidant means.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think they do. But it's just like gotta have it, gotta have it.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: You ready, Yep?
Speaker 2: When I started caring more about the frames than the art in.
Speaker 1: Decide, I love this.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: That is good to see, like a quality frame, to see how it sits in a room or hangs in a room, and how it like perhaps ties things together from a furniture standpoint, from a motif standpoint, ty, I respect the hell out of a good framing job.
Speaker 2: Here's one that I think you can relate to based on what you said before. When I thought I was a quote cool dad for making the kids listen to the strokes, and then realize it's the exact same thing as my dad playing the Rolling Stones for me when I was growing up.
Speaker 1: It's one hundred percent the same thing. I cannot wait till I don't own a car right now because I am nomadic and I have no idea what my future holds, but I will soon, I'm sure be purchasing the car. And when the solid toddler is old enough, he is going to hear so much music that he is not going to care about, and when he tells his friends about they're just going to look at him blankly, like why your dad plays real big fish? What is the fish. How big is this? Like it's going to be a nightmare for him to explain, and I just like, sorry, I have to listen to the worst music I listened to when I was sixteen. Those are the rules.
Speaker 2: When my preferred exercise method became going for a walk.
Speaker 1: I love a good walk. Are you an active walker?
Speaker 2: What now define active walker? What is that?
Speaker 1: Okay? So will you ever just go for a walk because you like walking? Not because you're walking the solid puppy, not because Kate was like, oh, we had a big dinner, let's go for a walk after dinner. Will you just find yourself with a window of time? I know you work hard, but will you find yourself with a window of time? Like, you know what, I could just put one foot in front of the other. I could just I could just walk for an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was still going into the mysterious day job.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was an over lunch. Was a good time to do that?
Speaker 1: Go for a walk?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: By the way, I have been mistaken for because we have the same name. A Canadian author named Dan Rubinstein, who has written extensively about the health benefits of walking and in terms of being confused for somebody else and sometimes that being problematic. Like, guys, I'm not this Like, I'm very different from this person who happens to have my same name. I am thrilled to share a name with a Canadian walking expert.
Speaker 2: It's great hearing Pearl Jam on Flashback Friday.
Speaker 1: It hurts, it hurts. Have you tuned? Have you actively tuned in? I know you try to keep up with Top forty, but will you tune into some sort of like classic rock station and come across a band we're like, I'm sorry, Blink on eighty two is never classic rock that is always of the moment. Please stop serious.
Speaker 2: XM serious, XM presets. Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: We've got Channel two, which is Hits one. We've got I believe Channel ten, which I forget the name of that one. Right, We've got Pop Rocks which is Channel twelve, and that's where you find the good stuff, Dan, So that's where you find the good Take me, that's where you find pop Rocks. Yeah, that's where you find our generation. Right?
Speaker 1: There is that your train time?
Speaker 2: I mean train is not what I would say first, but there is some train being played on that station.
Speaker 1: Is a train presence.
Speaker 2: There is a train presence, but that's where you get your Blink one eighty two's oh okay, yeah, that's where you get a lot of fallout. Boy, that's where you get, you know, a little chumble wumba if you're feeling into it. I want to get moving on the drive home. A lot of stuff from like the late nineties and early aughts right there in that good sweet spot pop rocks Channel twelve. I got Channel fifteen on there, which plays a lot of the same stuff a little bit more contemporary. So I'm definitely dipping into some of that old nostalgic music wherever I can find it. I do have the eighties and nineties presets on there as well, but I don't listen to that as much as Pop Rocks.
Speaker 1: Ty. You know the album Dude Ranch by Blink one eighty two. Of course, you have your Your damn It and Josie all those, yeah, the original real I mean, there was cheshure Cat before then, but nineteen ninety seven. Yeah, I wasn't even in high school yet, that's how long it's been. Holy hell, all right.
Speaker 2: It definitely feels like an oldie tried playing basketball for the first time in twenty years. Out of shape guys playing three on three half court turned into a full court, five and five game with some added athletic in shape guys in their twenties threw up on the sidelines after the second game. Never again.
Speaker 1: Basketball is probably the clear indicator. There's nothing that will make you feel your age like playing full court basketball regularly.
Speaker 2: The reason that I am retired from basketball, Dan is because I was playing in an adult basketball league a lot of older gentlemen, and I was warned by a teammate that, yeah, there's a lot of older dudes in here who can't really control their bodies, and while diving for a loose ball, one of those gentlemen torpedoed my left and that's why I had surgery for a dislocated lesson.
Speaker 1: Oh well, the key is you got to get into a game with at least one doctor who can set an ankle, sprain or relocated joint. That's the key at this point. Yeah, I've I've retired, unretired, retired, and I'm currently unretired. Though I have no idea you know what my long term geographic plan is in terms of basketball leagues and beyond. But it wouldn't hurt to probe around to see where doctors play and play near or with them.
Speaker 2: Someone says, when listening to you guys complain, that's us about your age. Yeah, and realizing that I'm about twelve years older than you both. Sorry, man, that's okay.
Speaker 1: I mean I think that the response was on Instagram or Twitter, so I mean, we can only hope to be that cool.
Speaker 2: Whichever of these came earliest and became a thing. That's the moment I knew I was old and washed. He lists here vaping post malone and Damien Anderson's kid being recruited by Northwestern.
Speaker 1: That's rough. The thing I had that reaction with Fred Taylor's kid with Kelvin Taylor was like, oh, I very vividly remember Fred Taylor playing for both Florida and the Jacksonville Jaguars. Oh yeah, this is strange. Yeah, and then they get drafted into the NFL and just I mean, you're how many active and you can google this right now as I'm asking the question, how many NFL active quarterbacks are older than you right now? Older than obviously Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, not that many, I tell you.
Speaker 1: That is what about Breeze. Is Breeze older than you? Is he forty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's older than me.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Breeze is old. Breeze and Brady, there's not many you're You're you're considerably older than I am. So this doesn't apply to me. But it's true, all right, I know, I know. Seems like at the flip of a switch, I couldn't understand technology. Yeah, is there is there an item that's been released a phone, a tablet, a computer, something else where you looked at it. And he's like, I'm not even not even gonna try not Snapchat to make an attempt piece of software and app.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't figure out the interface on Snapchat. I still can't, you know, text my thing. I still don't get it. And to some extent, I still don't get Instagram, though that's considerably easier. But the story's part really screws me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. Stories are not terrible. I've been running our Instagram account. Stories are not bad, but there are some. There are some pieces like I will watch an Apple event or a Samsung event and they talk about how they're moving to widgets and you know, touch what is what is force? Touch, and there are certain things wh're just like face ID where it's not that I don't understand them, it's that I watch the presentation and I've reached the point where I think this is very common among people that are far older than us, where you say, you know what, I think. I'm just good with my phone that I have now, and I know you keep upgrading yours so or you're on some kind of upgrade plan. But as I'm less impressed by things technologically, like when I watch these presentations, like I don't think that's worth a thousand dollars to me. Well, I'm going to be the one with like in my iPhone success, which I still use. I'm going to have a success in twenty twenty seven, and it's going to be very clear. Anytime I post a video where it's not anywhere near the aspect ratio of modern phones, I'm going to be that person.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what you need, though, let me tell you what you should wait for if you're holding out, if you're waiting for something to wow you, and I don't know much about.
Speaker 1: It, I've got a headphone Jack. Raise your hand.
Speaker 2: If you have a headphone head found Jack could be a new feature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you should wait for.
Speaker 2: If you're going to wait for the new technology thing that you want to sell out for, wait until they put lasers in the phone. Apparently that's going to be lasers so that it can I guess, like sense a room and get like a three D rendering of where you're at in space. But why because it's laser.
Speaker 1: I have a good I have a good rooms, sir, I just not for me. Not for me. I'm excited to have like a brick of an iPhone well into my forties.
Speaker 2: Here, I think is probably my favorite one. I don't know how I missed this on first pass when I started saying, quote, we really needed this rain every time it's top.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Robbie callend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that, my friends, is probably the winner.
Speaker 1: Here looking outside with a with a mug of hot tea and telling nobody in particular, Ah, we needed this. The boogamvillias needed this.
Speaker 2: There was a commercial about this. Yeah, not too long ago. They talked about things like defense wins, championships and the things you start to say that your parents said.
Speaker 1: Right, of course, we.
Speaker 2: Really need the rain is in the same vein as it's hot in the sun and it very much is something that I think you say after you actually have a lawn to maintain. We've got something else here, saying when.
Speaker 1: You have strong bird feeder thoughts, Well, you know, I'm a bird guy. You know that I know what do you have bird? Do you have a bird feeder? You have thoughts about the hierarchy of birds that patronize your bird feeder? Like I was out of California, my dad explained the whole like the scrub jays are just messing everything. Just birds.
Speaker 2: No, of course, but I've had that for a long time. That doesn't make me feel old, okay, but ever since I had a lawn to maintain and it browns out usually around this time every year, we need the rain. Robbie is that's that's probably the ace in the clubhouse here for me.
Speaker 1: You will Kate catch you being upset about something like this. Oh, she'll just We'll still just see you sitting on the couch stewing, and you're like, oh my god, Ty, what's wrong. Something happened at work? Is everybody in your family okay.
Speaker 2: It's usually an incredulous look, like you're really that upset about that.
Speaker 1: You got a brown patch. Kate got a brown patch, and this is we really need some rain.
Speaker 2: Two weeks ago, I had been sitting in a car driving to a campsite, and after a forty minute stretch on the back road, I got out of my car and couldn't stand up straight. That's real because my back hurt so badly. I was punched over in my tent for the rest to the weekend. I hope he's all right or she's all right.
Speaker 1: You ever get exit? They ever have anybody walk on your back? Is that exciting for you?
Speaker 2: Not in like twenty years, but oh.
Speaker 1: It's a good. If you were having some stiffness, you lay on your stomach on the ground, have somebody sit or walk on your back, maybe even a small child. Feels great. Couldn't get more excited about that? Can I? Somebody posted something about eight a medium Domino's pizza by myself. I had a hangover from food, zero alcohol involved. Have you ever like you wake up with like a salty dry mouth? You're like, oh, do anything yesterday? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is very real. This is very real, the food hangover?
Speaker 1: Oh have you and on this same no? And I don't know if it's my instance is with Dominoes. I was in Florida on vacation for the playoff, so it would be Lsu Oklahoma. I'm so old, I don't even remember the other side of that. Clemson, Ohio State and everybody else was going out, and I was like, I got to stay back and watch the game. I was like, oh, I got hungry. I ordered Dominoes, and I've always liked Dominoes, and I think I still kind of do. But I started eating my Domino's pepperoni pie and I said to myself, I know this is what Dominoes has tasted like for at least ten years. And I know I've liked Dominoes for ten years. If you're in the movie for like a fast foodish pizza always been terrific for me, and I was eating it. I was just like, when did Dominos get terrible? When did it just become tasteless? You don't like the robust tomato sauce. I thought I did, and maybe it was just a bad pie. But I've had that experience with other foods that I was positive. I liked three years ago, National Chain, you know, go to CPK or cheesecake factory, whatever, positive you like their food, and then you get old and it just it doesn't excite me. I take a bite and I'm like, what happened?
Speaker 2: This happened to me with easy Mac freshman year of college. You ate so much of it and now you yeah, same deal. The level of excitement of oh a new vacuum, Oh yeah, Ti.
Speaker 1: I mean this falls. There's vacuum, there's powerwasher, there's all sorts of different items that really clean a house, clean an apartment, whatever that. When you upgrade and you see how much better things work, I could cry. I could cry. It's so nice. Oh, especially when you may or may not be married to somebody who is not tidy at all.
Speaker 2: Can't tell you a weird thing I've started doing, and Solid, the solid wife has has pointed this out to me, and I don't know when it started. I assume it's with age. I've got this real fascination with local businesses, like wanting to support local businesses. Of course it doesn't just stop there. I'm always just like fascinated to find out more about like how things are going, you know. So I'm generally that like weirdo who would walk in off the streets. Yeah, like especially now amid pandemic stuff. I'll be the guy doing the take out how's business, but not just during the pandemic, Like, I'll do that normally, and I don't know when that started.
Speaker 1: Will you talk to like a mail carrier, like do you know your male carrier's first name?
Speaker 2: No? No, I don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that definitely happens at a certain point where you get older and you stop meeting a number of new people outside of work or something, and you're like, oh, yeah, Barbara was late and Kate was like, I'm sorry, who Barbara mail carreer? No, you haven't Barbara's doll on your house business note Tie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have given so much more customer feedback, and not like in a may I speak to your manager Karen kind of way, just more, Hey, you guys were really good tonight, and I just wanted to let you know that my takeout order was ready and I appreciate the extra bread, and whoever was running takeout was doing an awesome job. I like leaving positive feedback more than I ever have.
Speaker 2: Do you find that you're a little over zealous about giving recommendations to local establishments or just any establishments?
Speaker 1: Ty, If I could somehow craft a job of rec amending versatile shorts, local businesses, and recipes. I would leave this show so quickly. Yeah, but this is my current vehicle for doing I love recommending things so much high it brings me so much.
Speaker 2: I got a guy for everything. Kate makes fun of me, all.
Speaker 1: Right, who's the last guy you recommended? Oh?
Speaker 2: My landscaping guy. Yeah, m who currently won't call me back. But that's a different story. Continue final three things here before we call it a day. Realizing that to a tongue of via loa was younger than both my kids, and he's doing all that on the football field, and that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is. I mean that falls in line with you being older than ninety percent of NFL.
Speaker 2: Quarterbacks, a player my age. Jay Bruce being described on a Sports Center episode as a quote dependable veteran was something left in the tank that's been traded.
Speaker 1: That's rough. I mean, when you project that onto yourself, that's a tough thing to swallow. That's I've been there. I think when Aaron Rodgers is discussed as like he's on the back nine of his career, like whoa whoa Aaron Rodgers and I went to college at the exact same time. Let's be let's be cool here by the way, along with your landscape or note. Have you ever found yourself, and I assume to Kate, have you ever found yourself talking for too long about how easy some sort of fix it job turned out to be?
Speaker 2: Plumbing?
Speaker 1: So all the time, any sort of fix a job, like let's say she or you scuffed your car and you got a little bit of paint on your car because you've got close to a pole or whatever, a beam, and there's a little bit of what color car do you have, Tyler, charcoal car, black car? So let's say there's a little bit of a beige or something on your car, and you found like a putty that was easy to rub the paint.
Speaker 2: Out of your car, right right.
Speaker 1: I would talk about that for hours. I really thought my car was screwed, but I found this. Have you heard of easy out putty? You gotta get yourself some easy out putty. Just leave it in the garage. You never Oh. I love describing how accidentally easy a fix it job was. Oh, it brings me joy.
Speaker 2: Final one here, Okay, when I went to an EDM show and passed out from the flashing lights and thudding beat.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I am allergic kids music. I literally cannot listen to it without physical trauma.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredible, that's I I will. I'm gonna give this recommendation, take it or leave it. You should bring earplugs to every wedding you would.
Speaker 2: You've talked about this before.
Speaker 1: I've talked about it before. I'm gonna repeat it again because sometimes, you know, maybe people aren't listening to every show. Maybe we have new listeners. There is no wedding, especially an indoor wedding, a fully indoor wedding in like a ballroom or wherever, especially, but not necessarily, only with a live band, which love a live band, love a DJ, whatever you got works. You know they're they're playing the hits. It's great. There is no wedding that isn't made better by earplugs. And as long as you are able to make peace, it helps. If you have a significant other already, I will tell you that if you're looking to pick somebody up at the wedding, it can hurt you. It can hurt You've got sort of blue clay sticking out of your ears. That's rough. But if you bring in a date to a wedding, already throw some earplugs when you hit the dance floor. You go that I stand by every single moment that I've done that and I get looks. Doesn't change a thing. I love it.
Speaker 2: Just leave it there right in solid verbal at gmail dot com. Different kind of show here on the back half of our news segment. But it's been a long week, it's been a long couple months. Hope you all can go to a place and get get a few laughs out of some of these great submissions from Viverballerhood. Don't forget to subscribe to the show. If you like the show, give us five star review and follow along on social media Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and going out to saliverble dot reddit dot com if you want to kick in on the fun and talk about the conversation long after the final bell dam.
Speaker 1: That's a great recommendation from you. Stretch, hydrate, get plenty of sleep, call people up on the phone sometimes and don't just text them, read physical bound books, anything else you want to recommend. That's all I mean. Those are some of my hits and versatile shorts.
Speaker 2: Versatile shorts, don't forget those all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you can go to brunch in them. Maybe you can work out in them, maybe you can lounge around in them. I would say look into.
Speaker 2: Them for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie hildon Brand. Thank you so much for downloading, for listening, Have yourself a good, safe, a happy weekend. We'll catch you all on the flip side in the meantime. Stay soup peace.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Ti, I say sitting is the new smoking, in reference to my standing desk