Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy seven, dearbiun Banni's firm, Reliance's ambition had outgrown the capitol it could get from traditional bank loans, and so he turned to ordinary Indian investors and transformed equity culture in South Asia. Reliance Textiles as it was known, then offered two point eight million shares at ten rupee per share and then convinced thousands of ordinary Indians to invest. It was a huge success. The share sale was oversubscribed seven times and his son Mukesh was on his way to become one of Asia's richest men.
Speaker 1: Reliance has grown from a small startup to becoming one of the largest and the most admired companies in the world. We have established many records in this period that has made India and our shareholders prout.
Speaker 2: Now in twenty twenty six, another tycoon is looking to make similar waves. A Laji Aliko Dangote is Africa's richest person and many see him as an industrialist in the mold of Ambani Alico.
Speaker 3: Danote is an industrialist.
Speaker 4: Really, we compared him to John D. Rockefeller.
Speaker 2: His oil refinery in Legos is the continent's largest, processing six hundred and fifty thousand barrels of crude per day, and as prices surge as a result of the war in Iran, Dangote's plant is in huge demand. Now. He wants to list part of the refinery on the Nigerian stock market and wants to see investment from within Africa. So could dan Gote's IPO transform investment culture in Africa the way Reliance did nearly fifty years ago. I'm Jennifer's Abasajob and this is the next Staffrica podcast, bringing you one story each week from the continent, driving the future of global growth with the context only Bloomberg can provide. Joining me today is our managing editor for Africa, that is our Ghosh and our Nigeria based reporter and Duka or Jinmo. Thank you both so much for joining us on the podcast. Argent, I believe it's your first time joining us on the podcast.
Speaker 4: Surprisingly, I'm super excited, super excited.
Speaker 2: Jennifer, Yeah, it's such a pleasure to have you. There's so much to unpack, especially when we think about these two tycoons. Maybe, though, in Duka, we just start with you because you have been doing quite a lot of extensive reporting on Dan Gote for a number of years. You were just in DC doing some reporting on him, speaking with him about his plans to sell shares of his refinery in an Ibo. There's still a lot of questions about what this could look like when it could happen. How much are you able to clean from the conversations that you had with him, not.
Speaker 5: So much from him at the moment. Also give you a context of what they we're talking about him. We're talking about the largest refinery in Africa and in continental Europe can process in Aust fifty thousand barers of cool. But they construction started in twenty seventeen in the body stided production in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: And it's so sophisticated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And when he speak to experts in the refining business, the marveler Dan what they was able to achieve with a refinery in labels.
Speaker 4: Now to the IP and what we know what he told.
Speaker 5: Me from speaking to him twice in DC, he is thinking of listing around ten percent of the refinery primarily in Nigeria, with second releastings in other countries, which he didn't say, but I spoke to other members of his team, and they're looking at South Africa, Ghana, Kenya for those second releastenings.
Speaker 4: We know it's going to happen in the second part of the year.
Speaker 5: I've had August been mentioned as a month where the refinery is not finally gal to the public. He's not quite clear what the evaluation is because I pressed him on that what the evaluation of the refinery is, and he said they're still working on that, so we don't have that detail at the moment.
Speaker 2: You know, I am currently in Nairobia, should say. And I was speaking to Riko d'enote at the Africa We Built summit. The whole discussion was around infrastructure investment, right, and he is the symbol of what that looks like on the continent. I wanted to play this this bit from what we heard from him, which I thought was quite interesting about his comments around the continent relying too much on overseas investment in the past.
Speaker 6: We have made a lot of mistakes in the past where we've been relying on foreign investors. The foreign investor will not come without the leadership of domestic investor, so domestic investors must take the risk and start blowing your own continent, not for you to wait for foreign investors.
Speaker 2: I wonder when you look at how much he went through to get this refinery off the ground where it's at right now, and now where he's trying to take this IPO, how much of his ambition is around tapping this African investment, especially when you look at this this pan africanism that he's trying to do with this listening.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's gone through a lot to get it to where it is now.
Speaker 5: Gen As he said, he had issues in his home country in Nigeria, issues recruits apply. I think he's not across all that the refinery is performing at and three percent according to the little then what he says is a pig performance and he's his ambition to expanding to the rest of the of the continent.
Speaker 4: I think it's part of his white ambition.
Speaker 5: To take his conglomerate to a hundred billion dollar business by in the next four years. He plans to invest forty billion dollars across several African countries and he sees this IPO, you know, as.
Speaker 4: A way of doing that.
Speaker 5: And he makes the point about how you know, Africans need to invest you know, in not just his company, but companies on the continent, and he taps into what you hear the multilatal organizations here talk about the financial institutions like the AFC for instance, and they've talked about the four trillion dollars that's available to pension phones you know, banks, you know, and and other surveillance institutions on the continent and how that can be can be plowed into building out infrastructure, you know, ports, you know, airports, things like refineries, and Dangotist sees his company has been in a position where it can benefit you can tap into those resources. We'll see what the appetite is when he eventually goes into the market. But if you look at the spread of his companies across the continents, I think he is in a better position to be able to tap into these ponds in places like Kennya, Ethiopia, Ghana, where he already has outstanding businesses every coast for instance.
Speaker 4: You know, on the plans that he has.
Speaker 5: Spread across the continent, he wants to build the refinery to process copper, and Zambia he wants to build pipelines.
Speaker 4: In Namibia.
Speaker 5: You know, he wants to get into the power sector in Congo.
Speaker 4: He has plans for Zimbabwe.
Speaker 5: So I think the IPO is almost following Dangle expansion in several conceptors across the continent.
Speaker 2: And Arjie, can you jump in here just to piggy back off of what in Duka is saying. Do you get a sense that there is appetite for this IPO, I mean, separate from Dangote himself. I mean, the Nigerian stock market has had a pretty good twenty twenty six so that could provide the tail whend that he needs just going into this listing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jennifer, you are quite right about that. In ten dollar terms, the Nigerian benchmark Index is actually among the world's top performers this year. And obviously when investors see such gains that itself generates a lot of interest. Just look at India, where the market had risen about for straight eight years until twenty twenty five. You know, companies there raised twenty five billion dollars in IPOs just last year. In Nigeria, the last major IPO was seven years ago.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: But you've been speaking to a lot of investors and brokers. In fact, just this week we were speaking to them in Legos. What we are hearing is that there's a lot of interest building up about the Denote Refinery.
Speaker 4: IPO.
Speaker 3: Duka mentioned some of the details of the share sale, but there are a lot of questions yet to be answered for what could become Africa's biggest initial sare sale.
Speaker 4: If you look at what.
Speaker 3: The regulators have done to entice retail investors, they recently updated capital requirements to encourage digital subbrokers to reach more users. Another data point that may interest Dungote, you know as he plans his IPO. In twenty twenty one, just eighteen percent of Nigerian adults used a formal financial account to save according to the World Bank. That is that figure jumped to about forty three percent in twenty twenty four, one of the sharpest increases globally. So the question is can Dungote turn Nigerian savers into investors. That's what we will see as we go along later this year, hopefully. Still, there's a lot of work that needs to be done before we see more companies really relying on initial sare sales to fund expansion in West Africa. Apart from Dungote, just to.
Speaker 4: List a few of the issues.
Speaker 3: Liquidity is extremely low in Nigeria and broadly other markets on the continent except for South Africa. Of course, there is a relatively low trading volume and the key stumbling blog is also lack of investor education.
Speaker 4: All right, stick with me, Argent and Duka.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a quick break and when we come back, we'll look at the impact and Bonnie's IPO had in India and whether dan Gote potentially could spark something similar in Africa. Later this year, we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Today, we're digging into the potential IPO from Africa's richest man, Elco dan Gote for his Legos oil refinery. At the top of the program, I was comparing dan Gote to the Indian entrepreneur and Banni and his IPO of reliance back in nineteen seventy seven. Argent, ghosh And and Dukajen are still with me. Arjit, you were speaking a bit before the break about some of the challenges that could present themselves for Dangote as he approaches this IPO. When we go back to nineteen seventy seven, I don't know where you were at that time, but I'm going to ask you to do a little bit of a deep die for us. Why was that such a game changer for investment in India?
Speaker 3: Jennifer, Just to give you a historical perspective, when I was growing up in New Delhi in the late nineteen seventies and through the nineteen eighties, I used to see my father bring home these forms and spend quite some time in filling them. Remember there were no computers to help at that point of time. These were application forms for IPOs. You know, Reliance's IPO was really an inflection point for India's equity markets. The share sale is widely regarded as the event that introduced equity investing to the nation's middle class. The IPO, it attracted some sixty thousand retail investors, was heavily oversubscribed and delivered strong early returns. If you look at the academic and historical accounts, and they suggest that it played a crucial role in expanding retail participation. And that was even before the market regulator even existed in India. You know that that interest that the Ubay Embani, the founder of Reliance, saw he came back to the market several times over the next decade. Including offering debentures of bonds. Basically that also saw a lot of take from investors. I kind of remember seeing long queues to invest in IPOs during that time. Capital gains helped attract more investors. Reliance shares, for instance, gained about fifty percent on debut and by the end of the year in nineteen seventy eight they were up some four hundred percent. Of course, there were other fact is playing a role in the growth of India's capital markets during that time, including the Green Revolution which made some farmers quite rich, and then there was the gradual opening of the economy. Reliance Industries now has some four point five million investors. That's about the same number of registered investors in Nigeria.
Speaker 2: Wow. So potentially we could see a similar playbook from Dangote. I mean, is that sort of Could this be a similar moment for Nigeria and for the continent? Then?
Speaker 3: You know, both Amberness and Dungote saw an opportunity in building industries based on import substitution and they made their fortunes in heavily regulated markets. They benefited from protectionist industrial policies. You know, Dunggote started in cement, Amberni started in textiles, but both have been disruptors.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Critics of both groups have similar gripes. They have attacked them as shrewd tycoons who have used their political connections to secure an advantage over competitors, which they have both denied. The Banis moved into refining in the late nineteen nineties and became really the supplier of fuel to the world. Dungote who plans to double his capacity and it could match the massive relions refinery in Chamnager in Gujarat, he could be in the same position. And given Dungote's enterprise size of his enterprise, the IPO can be a pivotal moment for Nigeria. Really, the war in Iran probably has made the refinery even more valuable. I'll throw some numbers at you here, Jennifer. If you look at Nigeria's market capitalization as a percentage of GDP, it is currently at about twenty two percent. For comparison, India is at one point thirty one percent. In South Africa more more than two hundred percent. Given that Nigeria has a population of more than two hundred million, the opportunity in that country is just immense and as Nuka flagged earlier, Africa does not have a shortage of capital. You know, he gave that figure a four trillion dollars. That's a decent chunk of business for businesses to tat. Really, so if you look at dangotees, if he's successful with his IPO, that may actually entice other companies to tap the market to expand and that in return will spur capital formation.
Speaker 4: But then the government needs to remove.
Speaker 3: Obstacles for businesses as well. In Nigeria. We did something called the Bloombergs Investors Guide to Africa, which showed that Nigeria is riskier than many countries on the continent. Ivory Coast, Kenya and Egypt are less risky for investors, for instance.
Speaker 2: And he actually brought that up about consistency and policy when we were speaking, and that's what he needs in order to continue to invest across the continent. So let's just bring it back to the IPO because that's what we started with and really that could be a seminal moment for Nigeria and also for Dangote himself. This year, I again tried to get some more out of Aliko dan Gote about what his plans are for his eventual IPO. Here's what he told me earlier this week.
Speaker 6: No, it's going to actually deep in the market, and we're saying that all Africans should invest and will be paying dividends in dullas.
Speaker 4: Arjit, let's just go to you.
Speaker 2: What are you going to be watching out for with this eventual IPO and what could potentially be a few of the obstacles to actually getting this off the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think the key thing for us to watch out for is how much is Dangote going to raise, what will be the evaluation of the share sale, when will he actually go about selling the IPOs? So those are the questions that we'll be looking to ask do got if he managed to speak to him, and of course speaking to others in the market as well. We will also be watching out for if this kind of triggers other companies to come forward with IPOs. We'll be watching for. The Nigeria and regulators plan to review three float rules. For instance, you know, many of Nigeria's largest listed firms are very tightly held by controlling shareholders, which kind of limits liquidity and heightens the risk of sharp swings in prices and scares investors really. You know, if you take example of buas Ciments for instance, that company has a public shareholding of less than three percent. If a large investor sells even a small amount of shares, it can lead to a massive price swing. Just as we were talking about, you know, comparing with India, India mandated listed companies to maintain a minimum public shareholding of twenty five percent, and that's rarely helped broaden the market. Finally, it's not just IPOs. Regulators need to strengthen market infrastructure with depositories, strong disclosures. It needs to expand investor participation with simple low ticket mutual funds and ETFs. Again, comparing with India, investors can buy mutual funds or collective investment schemes as they're called in many countries here in Africa for as little as two hundred and fifty rupees that's less than three dollars of three thousand, five hundred naira a month. That's what is really driving markets in that nation now, and Nigeria rarely needs to kind of step up and get more investors into the fold.
Speaker 2: And thanks again so much to Argic Ghost, our managing editor for Africa and Duka or Ginmo, our reporters in Abuja for joining us this week on the podcast. You can find more of our coverage of Aliko dan Gote on Bloomberg platforms. Now here's some of the other stories we've been following across the region this week. South African farming group Keru Pistachios is ramping up output to capitalize on surging prices and compete with the world's biggest producers. The nuts used in ice cream and chocolate climbed to the highest level in almost a decade this month, as the conflict in Iran, the world's second largest grower, disrupt supplies in an already constrained market, and the Africa Finance Corporation and the African Development Bank committed five hundred million dollars each to a railway that will connect zambiaz copper mines to global markets through the Angola Port of Libido. You can follow these stories across Bloomberg, including the Next African Newsletter. Will of course put a link to that in the show notes. This program was produced by Adrian Bradley and tia Adebayo. Don't forget to follow and review the show wherever you get your podcasts, but for now I'm Jennifer's abisojet. Thanks, as always for listening.