Speaker 1: Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. Texas is in play Activote polling concluding yesterday Trump fifty three point three, Harris forty six point seven, so Trump is only had by six and six tenths in Texas and the margin of error is five points. Their last poll was on July nineteenth. It was Trump by nine points, so she cut the lead by nearly one third in three weeks. She is ostensibly within the margin of error. Texas is in play. Texas, oh And Florida is in play even more in play. Polling led by USA Today Trump for Harris forty two, so Trump is ahead by five in Florida. Margin of error is four and a half points, so Kamala Harris is within the margin of error in Florida. All previous polls, from one by the University of North Florida Research Lab to one by a Trump polster McLaughlin, had Trump by eight as recently as last Thursday. Quote. I was surprised, unquote, said David Paleo Lojos, director of Suffolk University Research, which did the poll the five point poll, that Harris is within striking distance, being only five points down Florida is in play. Florida, Florida, and Texas are in play. I have an urgent request of Donald Trump's campaign for president. Please continue to do everything exactly the way you are doing it now. Thank you. You are Kamala Harris's primary asset. You are her rock. Now. Look is she going to win Florida or Texas or both? I don't think so. Registered Republicans outnumber registered Democrats in Florida by a million. Trump won Texas in twenty sixteen by nine points, by five and a half in twenty twenty. But the fact of Kamala Harris before the convention, before the campaign has really even begun. The fact that she, by just being there has cut Trump's lead by nearly a third in Texas and nearly forty percent in Florida, tells you just how bad things were there and elsewhere, and just how much better things are now and how much better they've already gotten in Florida and Texas and Michigan and Pennsylvania and America. I have previously discussed and expressed my distrust of Poles, my horror at the ease of their manipulation of my own experience with people at MSNBC asking Frank Lunz for a focus group and for the outcome of that focus group about me before they did the focus group. I've expressed this occasionally, once or twice a week, but poles are compass needles. They don't tell you how far you have to go, and they don't give you directions on how to get there. But generally speaking, they do get the big picture right. They do get north versus south correctly, and right now they are all saying the same thing. It is Trump who is going south. We even have the first polling on Tim Walls. Morning Console pulled on him right after she chose him August two and three, and again over this past weekend. So the original poll showed that fifty seven percent of all voters had never heard of him. Never heard of him fifty seven percent, It is now fifteen percent. That would be a good rollout. Walls had a favorable score of eighteen in the first poll, it is now thirty eight. His unfavorables went from eleven to thirty three. Cutting to the chase. He is above water by five points as of Sunday. As Morning Consult notes, the vice presidential pick rarely gets any traction is rarely a boon or a bust. And this guy is in positive territory, and that's after the Republicans began to try to swift vote him. They note that Walls is at plus five and at the same point in his rollout, Vance was at minus one. And I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that JV has not exactly rebounded from minus one. A couple of other results Big Village pollsters. This is a national poll, Harris by three. It's previous poll, Trump by two. Nate Silver's average keeps growing a couple of parts of a point each day. Now Harris by three and one tenth nationally. Bullfinch asked swing state voters which candidate would you feel comfortable babysitting your kids? Total shock here on the answer Harris forty five percent, Trump twenty percent, and I'm presuming the remaining percent, the thirty five percent left over, those are JV Vance's childless cat ladies. Right now to the election interference by Politico, by the New York Times, by the Washington Post, in which we are talked down to by a news organization of one hundred and forty seven years experience, which has done us the service of explaining why the Washington Post cannot publish nor even identify internal documents and computer traffic stolen from a presidential campaign. I mean, why the Washington Post cannot publish any of that this time, especially a lengthy JV vance vetting document prepared by or for the Trump campaign. Which news organization has explained this to us about the Washington Post. Why it's the Washington Post quote this episode probably reflects that news organizations aren't going to snap at any hack that comes in and is marked as exclusive or inside dope and publish it for the sake of publishing, said Matt Murray, Executive editor of the Post. Instead, quote, all of the news organizations in this case took a deep breath and paused and thought about who was likely to be leaking the documents, what the motives of the hacker might have been, and whether this was truly newsworthy or not. Well, that's the part of the executive editor's statement intended for the journalism schools as classes begin anew in the coming weeks. Here's the real part of what mister Murray had to say. The decision for newsrooms to not publish the Dvance Materials, a compilation of publicly available records and statements, including Dvance's past criticisms of Trump, appeared to be more straightforward because they also didn't reach a high level of public interest. Quoting this guy Murray, the one who still uses phrases like inside dope, quoting mister Murray. In the end, it didn't seem fresh or new enough. So if it were new jd Vance stuff, then they'd swallow hard and just push those morals and ethics to the side a little bit and run it and not say all that stuff about taking a deep breath and pausing and thinking about who the leaker might be or what their motives might be. Gotcha? End number one justifies the means, and end number two does not justify the means. Frauds. From the same Washington Post piece, quoting Kelly McBride, NPR's public editor and chair of the Craig Newmark Center for Ethics and Leadership at the Pointer Institute, and before twenty sixteen, the general thinking was that even with hacked materials quote if there's something interesting in there, and of course you're going to report it unquote, but with foreign state actors increasingly getting involved. It just feels diceier for news organizations to make the decision, because you don't want to be helping another country undermine our democracy. McBride said. The motivations don't have to be pure, but it can't be to undermine the stability of the entire country. She added that just seems like a bridge too far. Of course, that wasn't a bridge too far in twenty sixteen, was it? Ms McBride. While there was no initial clear link between say Russia and Wiki leaks and Roger Stone and his wig, it became apparent pretty damned fast that there was a link between at least two of those folks, especially after that subtle hint from Trump. Remember when he said, quote, Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the thirty thousand emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press, which he said, incidentally, and answer to a question by Katie Turr god and the same day that he said that Russian intelligence began to target Hillary Clinton's emails. It's almost as if they were listening. The Washington Post, of course, is threading not one but two needles. Here, it is insisting it does not have to publish the results of the anti Trump hacking, while insisting it was justified in publishing the results of the pro Trump hacking, while also insisting it's older and wiser and more careful now bullshit. Brian Boutler flagged this clip from the old Showtime political program The Circus, and since Showtime posted the clip on YouTube, I'm sure it won't mind the plug. I think the show is an on ayme, but so what. It's a plug for Showtime now available on your cable package. It's Mark McKinnon talking in twenty sixteen with Washington Post reporters Roz Helderman and Mateia Gold. Matea Gold I dealt with several times when she was in LA is now one of the posts managing editors, and it's her voice you will hear first on this, and you should look for this clip on YouTube because you should see Matia Gold's face light up when the other reporter, Roz Helderman, the one with the glasses, says she's just found something juicy inside the stolen materials the Post is going to publish as opposed to these stolen materials, which they're not going to publish.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Wikiwiks seems to have some sort of agenda in putting this material out. But at the same time, I don't think anything that's been released so far has been this big October surprise. It's going to change the trajectory of the race, Hey, Roz about anything?
Speaker 3: A couple little things. Podesta says that they've taken on a lot of water, and he says most of that has to do with terrible decisions made pre campaign, but a lot has to do with her instincts. Who and then neuro writes back, almost no one knows better than me that her instincts can be terrible.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Did that create any issues for you guys as reporters that it seemed strategically leaked?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think every indication is that both of these hacks are stolen material. On the other hand, they're undeniably newsworthy.
Speaker 2: This information is now out there and it's getting consumed by the public, So I actually feel like we have a responsibility to use it to sort of illuminate the stories that we're already been working on and pursuing. I think we have to assume that these kind of hacks will likely happen again, and that this kind of material.
Speaker 1: Will re allergy culture going forward.
Speaker 2: That's sort of the psychological warfare aspect of the campaign, argues, which is true. I mean, if there's no doubt it has rattled them, it's everyone going to have to be on guard for this kind of hack in the future.
Speaker 1: So they knew in twenty sixteen this would happen again, and they knew they were setting the precedent, and they knew they wouldn't do better next time. And now they're pretending that it hasn't happened again, and they're pretending no precedent was set, and they're confirming they aren't doing better next time, and they haven't learned a damn thing. The Washington Post Executive editor Matt Murray again in an interview with his own reporters about why his own newsroom is failing all its own ethical obligations to its own nation quote. Murray said, the Post has no blanket, no hacked materials policy. You have to evaluate the material as it comes in. I certainly don't want to encourage hacked material, but it's going to happen in this world that we're in. So they they've learned something the hell they have. They published in twenty sixteen because the material was hot. They're not publishing in twenty twenty four because the material isn't hot. And when the next hot material comes in, they've made sure they can all sell out their ethics yet again in yet a different direction. One thing you may have noticed in none of mister Murray's remarks, nor any of the similar ones from similar editors at the Times or Politico explaining their cowardice. In none of them do any of them take the weaker but still far more commendable route of at least admitting they screwed up in twenty sixteen when they decided to publish. I mean, it would be nice to see the word wrong come out of somebody's mouth. But in twenty six years in the news andical news businesses, I can tell you without fear contradiction, that the most wide spread skill in the field is the one that allows someone to make up gallant sounding rationalizations for doing or not doing anything purely for the public interest, never for your own interest, and always accepting the responsibility, but never the blame. Because, as the political impressionist David Fry once said, those who are to blame lose their jobs. Those who are responsible do not. You would think there'd be some pain from twisting their spine so much so often, but remember this is the Washington Post. These guys don't have a spine. A couple of other notes. You heard that Selene Dion is suing over Trump using her song My Heart Will Go On from Titanic at his rallies. I mean, come on, it's perfect, all right. I can understand her not wanting to be associated with it, but it is the perfect song. Everything but the glob Glob. As another option, may I suggest the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. This is hilarious. This is from Stephen Chung, a Trump spokesman who, to his credit, usually puts his name on press statements from the Trump campaign, even though Trump has been leaking anonymously on and off the record since at least the nineteen eighties. The Harris campaign referred to the Trump Musk Twitter whatever that was, and referred to Trump's extremism and dangerous Project twenty twenty five agenda, and the Harris campaign insulted Musk by saying Trump is there in service of people like Keon Musk and himself self obsessed rich guys who will sell out the middle class, and who cannot run a live stream in the year twenty twenty four. Stephen Chunk's response, all these statements, yet nobody ever puts their name on them. Effing Coward's Steve bigmad. Steve's so big mad he didn't notice it. Right under that statement it reads Harris Walls in capital letters. That would be two somebodies who put both their names on it. They were right, of course, though I did think there was one undersold gem in that thing that Donnie and Elanie did on Twitter.
Speaker 5: The next time. What we'll do is if something happens with his election, which would be a horror show, we'll meet the next time in Venezuela because it'll be a far safer place to meet in our country. Okay, so we'll go, You and I will go, and we'll have a meeting and dinner in Venezuela because that's what's happening.
Speaker 1: So they're gonna move to Venezuela. Huh. Don't let the wall door hit you in the ass on the way out, Donald. But finally, maybe the fullest measure of how bad it's gone for Trump and how fast it's gone bad is criticism from one person, one voter out there, one lone voice. Trump is getting hurt, says this one loan critic, because quote, it's all about discipline. He's a very emotional guy, and if he's having a bad day, that bad day is gonna come out during a rally or an interview. But he isn't like a guy who is internalizing what he should do. He just flies and he doesn't really think about the repercussions of what he says, and that's hurting him. The speaker Bill O'Reilly, or what's left of him on Newsmax. I was shocked. Bill O'Reilly's gaunt now scary looking. Basically, he's down to just a skull and an ego. But understand what Bill O'Reilly's criticism of Trump means. More than a decade ago, when I still paid for front row seats at Yankee Stadium, mostly so I could give away two hundred and fifty tickets a year to make a wish and sit there and get in ESPN's camera shot when they did the games. Half the games I actually went to, there would be Trump seated a row or two behind me with a guest neither of them ever saying a word. Trump not even talking to this guy who appeared to have been his only friend in the world, the only person who ever showed up with him to these games. You'd see them drinking milkshakes, occasionally chain drinking milkshakes. Otherwise they just sat there silently staring at the ball game. The other guy with Trump was Bill O'Reilly. If Bill O'Reilly is slamming Trump, it's over. Texas is in play, Florida is in play. Bill O'Reilly is in play.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: By the way, they're tickets. They're Yankee tickets. They were gratis no charge, provided by the Yankees, because Bill O'Reilly and Donald Trump were two of the three biggest freeloaders I have ever seen at any ballpark anywhere. The third Rudy Giuliani. Those we're all free tickets. Me I paid. I mean, there was a tax deduction for the tickets I gave away. I'm not going to deny that. But I paid because you because you pay for things. Also of interest here, speaking of New York sports, my past is slipping away. Yesterday it happened again. The day before had been New York's top all news radio station, the great inspiration of my youth going off the air. And yesterday it was my first boss, the first of a long suffering parade of my long suffering bosses retiring, retiring after about half a century of doing play by play of the New York Rangers hockey team. I have known my friend Sam Rosen so long that when I first met him, I wrote about it in a paper for one of my classes in school. Oh sorry, Sam.
Speaker 4: That's next. This is Countdown. This is Countdown with Keith Olberman, my crazy friend still ahead of us on this edition of Countdown. Monday, it was the New York all news radio station WCBS going off the air, the station who's news director in nineteen seventy nine gave me the self confidence to actually pursue this as a life's work. Yesterday it was the retirement, effective after the upcoming season of Sam Rosen, the Hall of fame play by play man of the New York Rangers. Sam was my first boss in radio in nineteen seventy nine. In fact, I met him sixteen days before I got that letter from the news director at WCBS Radio. Sam was both my first true job lead and my first boss. And now he's retiring. As they say, time is undefeated. But there's more to this because after I met him, but before he hired me, And think about having a Hall of Fame career as a broadcaster after you were responsible for managing this crazy twenty and twenty one year old kid version of me. After I met him, but before he hired me, I had to go back to my senior year at Cornell and write a creative writing essay about a memorable person I had met under unusual circumstances. So I wrote it about Sam Rosen, And of course I still have the original copy, which I will read to you next in Things I promised not to tell first, there's still more new idiots to talk about. The daily roundup of the miscreants, morons and Dunning Krueger effects specimens who constitute two days worst persons in the World, Lebron's worse Chris Slizza, two z's and an endless amount of ls you remember him from such worst person in the world appearances as it's Shapiro people, And how dare you claim Trump as dementia? You're not doctors? Even though I wrote fifty pieces just in twenty fifteen diagnosing Hillary Clinton is untrustworthy and telling the former history teacher Jim Clyburn that rule one is, don't compare anything to Nazi Germany. Well, Chris, with a lot of zas and an endless amount of ls is back. It's been twenty three days since Joe Biden ended his candidacy. It's been seven days since Kamala Harris was formerly named the Democratic presidential nominee. She has yet to sit for an interview with any media outlet, and she has answered less than five total questions from the press.
Speaker 1: Chris. Those five questions were when she came over to the traveling pool and said, okay, what you got and they asked her her policies. No, they asked her about Trump and what Trump had said, and what did she think of Trump? And Trump did this, and Trump did that? Who wasted the opportunity with the Vice president of the United States to address I don't know the border the Middle East? Tim Walls, Whether or not she was black or Indian or Blindian or anything like that. No, No, they asked her about Trump. Might as well have asked her about her football picks for the first weekend of the NFL season. So You're blaming her because our American news media, particularly the White House and the Vice Presidential Press Corps, is largely made up of people who only remember the last three hours of their lives. I mean, what do you want from her? You want her to have a news conference like the one Trump had last week, where it turned out his news conference was about him pretending to have a news conference instead of just saying, I'm going to come here and give a series of small speeches that have nothing to do with the questions you just asked me. She is, as Solica accurately notes, I just said it, Solica and accurate. In the same sentence, Solica notes she was on day twenty three of her campaign official or unofficial day twenty three of her campaign, and he's upset that he has not gotten an exclusive with her. You're going to try to push her off the ticket too, because she hasn't done enough interviews with the Washington Post, CNN and anybody else. That fired you, Jesus never stops. Absolutely no self awareness whatsoever. You would think getting fired might have been the first clue that, oh, well, maybe I'm not doing this correctly. I mean, I have quit jobs and wondered today, let me quit. Maybe I'm not as good at this as I thought I was. Never such a doubt has hit. Chris Silizza has it. The runners up worser speaking of not having a doubt. The Trump War Room, which is considered an official part of the social media campaign of what's his name Psycho Trump. They put out a tweet tweet x a muscow or whatever you're gonna call them at eleven twenty one am Eastern daylight time yesterday. There is a picture on the left of some two story homes. I mean, they look okay. They have porches that are not sagging, so they don't look like the more disreputable parts of upstate New York. They don't look like a place that you would live your entire life in going where all the people who live in the United States actually go on a day like this, I haven't seen anybody new since the year two thousand and three. They have that, and it's nice and clean, and the bushes out front or all right, and there don't seem to be any cracks in the pavement or in the six steps up to the giant American flag that's taller than any of the inbred people inside this house that is clearly in a white neighborhood. And I might add there are no people shown in this photograph, and it says your neighborhood under Trump, and there's a picture of houses and a flag and no people. Next to it is your neighborhood under Kamala And in it is a bunch of folks who appear to be rushing for aid after a crisis of some sort, possibly a hurricane, in perhaps an inner city setting. Most of them, if not all of them, appear to be African American, or are perhaps people of color show in some other nation. It's hard to tell from the photograph. There's a guy in front with a very bad haircut who is drinking very very earnestly from a cup of water. This looks like a water distribution scene after some sort of crisis, and it's packed. Everybody is there and they're all in a small space and people are worried. And in the back of some guy wearing a mask. It might be a crisis in Haiti. It's hard to tell, but the text above this from the Trump War Room is import the third World, become the third World. Your neighborhood under Trump, your neighborhood under Kamala. So if you had any questions where the Trump campaign would be going henceforth, the answer is it would be going to George Wallace's gravestone to get his support for their campaign. Full on racism. Haven't we done enough for these people? And other past Republican slogans dating to nineteen sixty six and earlier, That is where they're going to go down the last eighty plus days of this campaign. If you think the stuff about Kamala Harris identifying as a being of Indian descent and now suddenly becoming black, if you think that's racist, you ain't seen nothing yet. But I would remind you that in this side by side, these Trump shits don't even recognize the fact that they've shown your neighborhood under Trump as being completely devoid of people, because of course they were some of the one million who died under Trump's mismanagement of COVID. That's just my interpretation of what that picture means. It's very clean here, like a graveyard. Nice flag though, and seems to be at full staff, not at half staff or the million people Trump killed. But the worst person our winner e lawn Musk. You heard. I played a clip of it before that very sibilant destruction of two hours of world history between must Psycho Trump, the post afterwards from X and its desperate attempt to appear relevant in the media space between seven forty seven pm forty seven minutes late and ten forty seven pm e g. When Trump finally stopped effing talking already President Donald Trump's space post, Well, he's not president, he's ex president. You can call him ex president, former president. That's fine. I would just call him Psycho Trump, but that's just me. Trump's space post received seventy three million views. During the same period, there were four million posts about Elon Musk and President Trump's conversation on X, generating a total of nine hundred and ninety eight million views. Somebody else wrote, CNN gets fifty million views per month, less than two thirds of what this did on Tuesday Night. I noted at the time that a Twitter view is a second, and if you watch something on Twitter for one second, it counts as a view, and thus the total number of seconds is the total number of views. It's not like TV when you hear that two million people watched a show on Fox News. It means that at a given moment, two million people were actually watching the show, or estimated to be based on the way ratings work in television. It's not accumulative. It doesn't mean there were two million different people who watched some part of it over the course of an hour. It's two million per average. We don't know. In fact, there is some demographic information about how many different people watch during the course of an hour. But the point is two million is okay? Freeze time count the number of people watching Sean Hannity Rachel Maddow when I did a show me and that number is two million. That is totally different from the idea of two million Twitter views, which is two million people watching for a second each. In other words, if in fact seventy three million people viewed the Musk Trump conversation, it's like there's a drunk guy here at the bar. He won't stop his conversation with me. If seventy three million people viewed for one second each, that would mean the total audience was actually twenty one thousand people. I mean, I don't think it was that bad, But that's just to give you the relative idea between a Twitter view and a TV viewer. Now, somebody who knows this far better than I do is Michael Mulbihill, the ratings and research and analytics dude at Fox Television and Fox Sports. And he wrote seventy three million views and a concurrent viewership that never got above one and a half million implies that the average viewer of this three hour interview watched for less than four minutes. We used to do pretty well on Countdown. We held people they used to watch for about forty five minutes out of the sixty minute show. The average length of time watching Musk and Trump was just four minutes, meaning at four minutes people went, oh my god, I'm listening to this again. Let's go see what's on good old fashioned TV. Or I don't know, I'll just count my fingers. That'll be more interesting. Elon Musk, still lying, still stoned, Still the cautionary tale about what happens if you mainline ozempic and two days worst a person in the world. See the number one story on the Countdown on my favorite topic, me and Things I Promised not to tell. It was James Thurber who once pointed out that the secret to great writing was never throw away anything you have written. He confessed that I believe in nineteen fifty eight that he had managed to rework stuff that he had written in nineteen eighteen. Well, I can finally top him. I wrote what You're going to Hear Next on March twenty seventh, nineteen seventy nine. It was a creative writing assignment for my last English class at Cornell, and it was simple, somebody you have met recently who you found interesting or under interesting circumstances. Four to five pages, typed double space. I'll spare you the suspense. It's about Sam Rosen, as you will hear. I had what seemed to be a courtesy interview with Sam Rosen in his office at UPI Audio in New York on Thursday, March twenty second, nineteen seventy nine. I didn't think anything had come of it, but on July third, nineteen seventy nine, UPI Audio hired me my first job. I was replacing their sports director. Thought I named Maury Trumbull, who was leaving to go be the sports director of NBC Radio. Yes, they used to have such jobs. Morey and I overlapped for about ten days, so technically he was my first boss. But really, Sam was my first boss, and he not only survived it, he's still working. He's been the play by play announcer of the New York Rangers since nineteen eighty four, and he remains a friend. I guess I'm not that tough on my employers after all. Just as interesting, though, is a guy you will here referred to in passing in the second sentence as an ABC Sports executive. I will explain who that was and is after I read you the original. From the original copy, I might add which I will start doing in one second from now. Keith Olberman English, one thirty five point one three, March twenty seven, nineteen seventy nine. By the time I cornered Sam Rosen in the back room of United Press Internationals offices in New York City, March twenty second had already qualified as a very bizarre day. In the preceding twelve hours, I had dragged myself out of bed despite half a night's sleep, conducted a successful job interview with an ABC Sports executive who turned out to be a former WTKO ITHACA disc jockey, gotten drunk before noon at a bar run by an ex Cornell basketball player, sobered myself up in the bowels of New York's subway system and walked at least three miles on the hard city streets. Sam Rosen is a sportscaster for the United Press Audio Network, a low grade national organization with which I had some contact and some small hope of employment. The Rosen, who introduced himself to a burnt out, tired me, was a burly, slow moving man, broad in the shoulders, straightforward and confident, and the owner of distractingly bushy sideburns. He had consented to spend a few minutes with me at the request of Roger norm, a UPI newscaster, whom I had met through a contact just four days earlier. Norham had thought Rosen might be able to help me in my efforts to get a job, and at the very least critique a tape of one of my broadcasts. Page two. Rosen began slowly and deliberately reviewing his rise to network radio from humble beginnings as a gopher at a New York station. It's a hard business, Keith, he pointed out, you have to be prepared to start at the bottom, even say as an intern for a radio or TV station. I noted, rather meekly, that I spent the summer of nineteen seventy eight in just such a capacity at Channel five in New York. Rosen seemed surprised and a little miffed at my sliver of experience, and seemed to be growth hoping for something else to suggest, Well, it's good to define just where you want your career to go and how it will go. Rosen's confidence disappeared a second later when I recounted my decision at the age of eight to become the country's top sportscaster by starting in radio and then moving into television. He looked at me with mystification and slowly leaned back in his seat, to the accompaniment of a groan from rusty hinges and the squeak of the chair's casters against the tile floor. Maybe you should try stringing, he offered, and began to explain the radio term for providing reports or newsmaker's comments to a station or network on a freelance basis. He stopped explaining when I noted I had done that for three city stations and two networks, including his own. Page three Oh. There followed a classic deafening silence. Finally, Rosen seized on something he presumed I couldn't possibly have done already, Small mark good radio, He blurted, barking the words out as if he were desperately answering some oral test question. At the last possible second, Sam looked hopefully at me, but I disappointed him by reviewing my four years at WVBR, the station's ratings and nature, and my thousand or so broadcasts on it. He was now getting upset. It was evident, and Sam later embarrassedly admitted that he was approaching our talk as a major league baseball player might a clinic with a dozen little leaguers. Well, you just can't expect a job in New York out of college, he was nearly pleading, And then, more sternly, you have to be realistic. Well, Sam, I had decided to take the offensive at this point and was speaking softly and unpresumptuously. Do you think my four years in Ithaca will be discounted because I was a college student. It's small market radio, and I don't think it can get much better in small market radio. Can we listen to my tape now? Is that okay?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Pleasure? Sam appeared relieved, by not having to answer my question, and he quickly threaded the brown tape through one of the studios many large tape recorders. Page four. He hit the on button and sat back. My voice was soon reverberating in the small room. At first, Rosen simply gazed at the revolving reels and played with his sideburns. At the moments passed, however, the motion stopped and he sat up in his chair. Finally, with the tape over, he moved his lips as if to comment, but couldn't manage more than a nervous laugh. Then suddenly his tone changed. You know, Keith, this tape. No, maybe I shouldn't point. Well, we just hired a guy to do sports starting next month, and I didn't have anything to do with the hiring or anything. But here Rosen stopped staring past me and looked me instead, squarely in the eyes. His tape wasn't half as good as yours. I'm very again, a brief silence in a staccato delivery. I'm very impressed. It was at once one of the most prideful and disheartening moments of my life. I couldn't help but smile at the thought that perhaps my basic skills were indeed honed enough to the point of excellence. But at the same time I sensed having been purposely placed in the right place at the wrong time. UPI Audio, as Sam later noted, hadn't had any changes in sports staff since nineteen seventy four, and here there had been an opening filled just a week before, filled by somebody who sounded only half as good as me, Page five. The rest of my conversation with Sam Rosen was far more enjoyable and relaxed. It had been graphically illustrated to me that patronizing condescension could be turned into genuine respect by my simply flashing a little talent. Sam spent the rest of my time in the studios bathing me in compliments, offering me any assistance he could, and urging me to make a lot of people listen to the tape. Make them listen to it, he suggested, drawing on our just concluded experience. Early in the conversation, the instructor in this class English what was it? One thirty five point one point five one three gave me a check mark with a plus on it. Sounds like a great experience. I can't believe that you'll have any difficulty in finding a suitable job. This is well written, it's clear to the point narrative. Some cleverness as usual, but cuteness firmly under control. Also, perhaps because written fast, none of those awkward spots caused by your fondness for being indirect. Some things have not changed at all since nineteen seventy nine. I wish I could remember the name of the teaching assistant who wrote that she was very nice, extremely supportive, and obviously claire voyant. Now a little reminder that you cannot, always, to paraphrase Shakespeare, look into the seeds of time and say which great and will grow in which will not. The ABC Sports executive and former wtko Ithaca, New York disc jockey I met earlier in the day, to whom I gave short shrift to say the least in sentenced to a paragraph one, was a vice president at a broadcast called Wide World of Sports, who gave me a brilliant piece of advice that I will save for a later edition of Things I promised not to tell. And his name was Robert Bob iger Iger. By nineteen eighty nine, Iigre was the head of entertainment at the ABC Television Network. In nineteen ninety four, he became president of Cap Cities ABC, which owned ESPN, so he became my ultimate boss in my third year there. The next year, Disney bought ABC, mostly so it could get its hands on ESPN. Iiger became president of Disney in two thousand, chairman in two thousand and five. He retired in twenty twenty one, but he returned to the but at Disney last year. And as I have said to him every time we have talked since March twenty second, nineteen seventy nine, when we met and here, I thought you were just some middle manager who still wanted to be a sportscaster when he grew up. Sammy, I've done all the damage I can do here. Thank you for listening. Please share this podcast with somebody who does not listen. We're up to a total audience of over a million a week. Let's go. Let's go now. Thank you for listening. Brian Ray and John Phillip Shanelle, musical directors of Countdown, arranged, produced and performed most of our music. Mister Chanelle on the orchestration and the keyboards. Mister Ray in charge of guitars, bass and drums and playing them. It was produced by Tko Brothers. Our satirical and pithy musical comments are by the best baseball stadium organist ever, Nancy Faust. The sports music is the Lderman theme from ESPN two, written by Mitch Warren Davis courtesy of ESPN, Inc. Other music arranged and performed by the group No Horns Allowed. My announcer today was my friend Tony Kornheiser, and everything else was pretty much my fault. So that's countdown for this the eighty fourth day until the twenty twenty four presidential election Florida and Texas are in play, and the three hundred and fifteenth day since convicted felon dementia j second place Trump's first attempted coup against the democratically elected government of the United States. Use the September eighteenth sentencing hearing. Use the mental health system. You've got this. President Biden used presidential immunity to stop him from doing it. Gain while we still again and anti Semitic, anti immigration, nutjob Republicans, please stop shooting at Trump. The next scheduled countdown is tomorrow. Bulletin says the News requires till then. I'm Keith Olderman. Good morning, good afternoon, goodnight, and good luck. Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.