Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome home, y'all. This is episode forty four.
Speaker 3: Of Native Lamppod.
Speaker 1: I am happy to be joined again by my amazing co host Tiffany Cross Andrew Yillom, and of course I'm angela raie. We have so much to get into today, and I just I want to start with the thing that is near and dear on my heart. I know you guys have topics as well. It is the hurricane, the hurricanes and the responses that exist, of course, the systemic and structural racism that exists in this country making relief so difficult.
Speaker 3: Andrew, tiff what do you guys have?
Speaker 4: Andrew?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, all right, Sis one shout out to the ink Well, Martha Zen, you know, for y'all classic people. But on my end, I'm also thinking about obviously folks on the storm. But for me, I want to talk about the lies that's carrying us into November.
Speaker 4: Well, that goes into what was hav a young Angelo's heart with the hurricane stuff as well, So looking forward to getting into that. I want to tell you guys, something that happened to me over the weekend or that I experienced. I should say I had a bunch of speaking gigs and I had a really unsettling exchange I'll say on this week that I'll tell you about and curious your thoughts on how you all would have handled it. So stay tuned for that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely love it. Thank you all so much. I know that we have a lot to get into. I don't know what we want to hit first. Of course, the hurricane is top of mine for me.
Speaker 3: I don't know if first Okay, So.
Speaker 1: You know one of the things that I was talking to you guys about on the pre pro call earlier is how heavy this was feeling to me and the reason for it, uh, I really believe was hearing this caller on the Breakfast Club this morning.
Speaker 3: Of course, we record our show, so this would have this would.
Speaker 1: Have aired on Wednesday, and it literally triggered me back to Katrina.
Speaker 3: Let's roll that sound, yo.
Speaker 5: Man, it's calling from Tampa.
Speaker 2: Man, tune from Tampa.
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 7: Brother?
Speaker 2: How is everything out there?
Speaker 5: It looked like right right now here be win But I'm gonna just keep it a buck man.
Speaker 3: That way is that man, ye'ah gonna see you all right in the middle of it.
Speaker 8: The eye gonna hit, the eyes hitting Tampa from what the map shows right now.
Speaker 5: Man, Bro my heart, Bro, I'm scared, man. And then we still we still recover from Allen and it's like, Bro, I want to get this chest.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 5: This government is planning in our faces.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 5: It don't matter if it's Republic with Democrats, they planning our faces.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 9: You get Ukraine, come over here, they get what they want. You can immigrants come over here, they get what they want. And you got people being to not these female applications that you're talking about the other day, Charlotte mane fear to not, Bro. But you're getting these micros coming over here. Two thousand dollars fools stuff.
Speaker 5: Bro, Like you're goddamn.
Speaker 9: Five thousand dollars pass.
Speaker 5: Man, this ship harder Bro, we put we put it. Get ready Damn there God Bro.
Speaker 9: A lot of people couldn't afford to evacuates, and it's coming playing.
Speaker 1: Enough, Man, I wanted to play that at first. Let's just acknowledge there are two things at play here. There are feelings and there are facts. And I think that it is so important that we do not bypass the feelings for the facts. I also think it is increasingly important because misinformation will kill you. Do not let misinformation kill you. We have to get to the facts. But what is fair game? What is what is deep and entrenched in what this man is saying? And my favorite book in the world is Invisible Man. And it's not because I enjoy blackness being treated as if it doesn't matter. That is okay for us to be voiceless, That is okay for us to be an afterthought. It is not on any turn, ever, But I just have to say, hearing this man, like what was replaying in my mind are black folks on rooftops when the levees broke?
Speaker 3: What happened in like in Katrina?
Speaker 1: And the fact that there are so many other places that are not natural disasters, some that are man made that our government struggles to respond to in real time, Like why did it take a George Floyd to die for companies to commit the resources that.
Speaker 3: Are well deserved?
Speaker 1: Why is it taking Congress years and years to ever consider even the study of reparations? What is real and what he's feeling is that we are invisible, and we are voiceless, but yet we carry this shit on our.
Speaker 3: Backs and have since sixteen nineteen. That is not fair.
Speaker 1: But what is also really really hard, y'all, because of the spaces that we occupy, is we've worked diligently on a micro level, on a macro level, and everything in between to be the first responders.
Speaker 3: Andrew, you served in elected office. You chose to go.
Speaker 1: Into public service to change not just the tone and the tenor of politics, but to change that response, to change how we feel about systems that we pay into that are supposed to be serving us.
Speaker 3: But don't you know there is there's this convergence of feelings.
Speaker 1: Honestly, immediately, I felt defensive for Kamala, you know. I felt protective of the folks who I just spent time with on Friday, the African American Mayor's Associations, the folks who I know are doing the work, and also the folks that are in my family who don't know who to call when the levees break and when stuff goes down.
Speaker 3: I am feeling like all of.
Speaker 1: Those emotions at once, because the feelings are real, but are There is relief and it's not enough relief, But I don't want somebody to die because they didn't think there was no relief at all. So I'm feeling the frustration of all that. My tears are tears of frustration that the place where I chose to lean into for work, the place where I chose to lean into for work, still doesn't have all the solutions.
Speaker 3: And I know it doesn't get better if our folks don't lean in to make it better.
Speaker 1: And yet it's still so hard to ask folks to lean in to make it better when it just is not right.
Speaker 3: And so there is all of that.
Speaker 1: I do want to cot correct the misinformation too, but I just want to sit with the emotion of what is for a minute, so we don't bypass it because we've been trained right to pass it. Tiff you as a journalist, Andrew you as elected official, me as a former Hill staffer, we've been trained to bypass so we could get to the solutions. And yet then that's how the people end up feeling like they don't matter. So they do matter, and we do feel it. And also right, there's all this other stuff at stake.
Speaker 2: Anyway, No, Angela, I don't don't any way, Yeah, don't anyway yet because I think I just wanted to breathe a minute, because everything's so heavy right now. Everything is so heavy, and as I think about the storm that's barreling down, as you know, this is now Thursday, Thursday, the impacts of the storm, and I think about the call, and it's so loaded with so much. But I'm gonna choose not to try to unpack that and just sit with the reality that all of us know, from government to us giving our life experience, to the folks in Tampa and the path of this storm, is that there is always a forgotten people. And I'm so sick of being the exact reflection of the folks who were forgotten. And it doesn't always it doesn't always have to be this way. In fact, it could be radically different, but it takes us taking some steps in the direction to make it radically different. But just to say this about the folks who were in the impacted areas, is that these evacuation orders come down, y'all, and nobody ever thinks about who's going to put gas in the car to get that family out of harm's way. We just issue evacuations and we make light of the fact that folks will just get in their car and pull out of their driveway and ride up I ninety five, up I ten seventy five, and get their family gone. I have friends who sent their folks on planes out of their right, but that isn't everybody's lived experience. When I think about Katrina, I think back to the fact that folks like well, well, there were their evacuations. Why did they stay, Well, they stayed because they didn't have a goddamn choice. What were they going to do? Hop on the highway and run out of gas halfway. That's not how it works, y'all. And so and the truth is the government and others have made developments and growth, so they now send buses and uber and lifts, send free rides to the shelters. But a lot of folks don't trust those places. Their kids, their families, their loved ones in such big, voluminous places, and you can't assure it to the protection of your folks. Last night, y'all, I went out and grabbed something to eat late because I fed the kids some corn dolls or something, and I wanted some different. And I got to the restaurant and I noticed that next to it is an old mall that we have here in town. And there were cars at ten o'clock at night in this place. And so as I was leaving, I looked over and I realized these folks had gotten out of the car, and there's like four people and they're sitting on the trunk and they're just chatting, and the same thing next to them, and the same thing next to me, and another folks are laid up in the car. And I'm realizing, these folks evacuate. They did whatever they could. They ain't had no hotel. They got in their car, they packed their kids and their family, and they tried to get them out of harms way. And they're choosing to sit in a parking lot because they can assure that at least here or the storm's not coming. But two, I can protect my family. I can keep them safe, right, And my heart breaks for that. But it also underscores what you're getting at here, which is we have to consider everybody when we're thinking about these impact events that none of us chose. None of us chose, we didn't sit ourselves in the eye of a storm. So there's a lie here, y'all, I know it. I just want to quickly respond to you, Angela, your emotions are well sued. That you're fitted because you carry the weight. Many of us carry the weight on us, and then we don't give it release and the release is true. We can support Kamala, Harrison and Biden administration, but also understand that there's merit to the fact that systems are structurally racist and don't consider poor people largely. And those are the ones we see under bridges, crossing bridges, thing in sheltersom we've just been ripped off. The stalls don't work, ain't no food to be had. So that's my thought. Man, I'm just there's a lot, there's a lot here.
Speaker 4: I remember I was a reporting producer during Katrinas. I was on ground when all this was happening, and I always thought when we would see this coverage and they would say, please evacuate, please leave, and I always thought, well, where do people go? I think the presumption sometimes is that you know people have resources, so like you have money, you can go hop on a plane, you can go get a hotel, you have an RV sitting outside, you've got generators in your capacity, And the reality is like if I had to evacuate at that age, my family wouldn't have had any of those things, any kind of resources being on ground in Lake Charles, Louisiana. And we were driving back and forth between Louisiana and Houston, just watching the rescue efforts and interviewing people, and I was mostly talking to young kids, and I don't think there was an appreciation for the lack of resources for people.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 4: Two, what home ownership means to a pocket of black people in this country. I know for a lot of younger people it's different, right, you know, that's not the only path of building wealth or financial comfort. But for old black folks who had nothing, and they took everything they could to build a home for their families. Even if that home looks like a shack now, if even it's breaking down, it's theirs. It was something they own in a country that denied them everything. This was what they built. And to tell them to leave their home, even if it meant they had to die in it, they weren't going to do that. And I so understand that thought and that sentiment. And so now when you see people who are hesitant to leave their home leave their things, I understand that thought. I really do you know? And I'm glad that you made the point about their facts and their feelings, because not only can we look past feelings with other people, because I heard a lot of misinformation in that caller's sentiments, but we can look past our own feelings, you know, like we don't even give ourselves a moment to feel what we felt, because we immediately go into do ain't no time to feel, It's only time to do?
Speaker 3: No time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Latasha, I think I may. I can't remember if I said this on this podcast, but I've certainly talked about this publicly. Latasha Brown was honored. She and Cliff all Bright with Black Voters Matter, and forgive me if this is redundant, but she and Cliff were on their way. They were mobilizing in North Carolina. This is after Helene, and they were taking generators to people and people might ask, well, why would a voting rights group be taken generators? And she said, because I don't want someone to say, where were you when I needed Jordan Katrina happened, Nobody called Latasha and said I need can you? She just jumped out there and did it. And one thing she says she learned is hard to transport water. So I just you know, I want to acknowledge the people who are in the path of harm's way. But I do think it's important to get into some of this misinformation and how it has penetrated our communities. So I think we might be coming up on a break and to correct me if I'm wrong. Yeah, So maybe on the other side we can get into why this misinformation is harmful and to your point, can literally kill.
Speaker 1: And before we go to break, I want to play the poem from this gentleman who survived Katrina to take us to break.
Speaker 4: Nick.
Speaker 6: I was there storms like Hurricane Katrina historically area.
Speaker 10: I was there, but we stood in very long lines. It was a desperate time. I ain't let him forget this why I wrote these rhymes. A bottle of hot water, a ride almost started, shoved and pushed forward over food, a shortage, back up, backed up bathrooms and tallest drink contaminated water. Out of the Fawcett look up what the locked up actually?
Speaker 6: Member of the.
Speaker 10: National Guard, I said, why are we being held as prisoners of war? He responded, following orders martial law. Understand it felt more like Afghanistan and a rock and knock in the waters that were heroes of the storm, and those of them that went to fall.
Speaker 6: Pray for them they too best scars.
Speaker 10: Thanked the law for the Air Force and the Coast Guard that flew helicopter and rescue missus non stop.
Speaker 6: God, people and pets off of porches and rooftops. You may or may not even care.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 6: What's there?
Speaker 8: Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 11: Welcome, well as we expected. Here are the comments from President Bush speaking at the White House after meeting with officials on Hurricane Katrina.
Speaker 7: Asked the pilot to fly over the Gulf Coast region so I could see firsthand the scope and magnitude of the devastation. The vast majority of New Orleans, Louisiana is underwater. Tens of thousands of homes and businesses are beyond repair. A lot of the Mississippi Gulf Coast has been completely destroyed. Mobile has flooded. We are dealing with one of the worst natural disasters in our nation's history, and that's why I've called the Cabinet together. The people in the affected regions expect federal government to work with the state governor and local government with an effective response.
Speaker 4: So that was Republican President George W. Bush speaking in two thousand and five on the heels of Katrina, flanked by his cabinet. There you saw him standing right next to us then Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfield. A very different time politically. The biggest political scandal that you guys remember at that time is that George Bush chose to fly over and look and he did not go on the ground. His defense at that time was he didn't want to take away the resources it would have taken for him to go on ground. However we might feel about that, But such a different time, Angela, and Andrew, given what we're dealing with now, with the level of misinformation and playing politics literally with people's lives, I am struck at how, quite frankly Republican Governor Ron DeSantis has been behaving when there are literal lives hanging in the balance. Andrew, I know this ring's very personal to you within your neck of the woods, but I just want to point out that Republican officials across the country have praised working with the Biden Harris administration. The few people who have and I only know about Ron DeSantis, but just so people know there is no effort to not give money. The administration is obviously not choosing where to spend their resources based on who's a Republican or Democrat. North Carolina Republican lawmakers have urged people to stop spreading misinformation, including Senator Kevin Corbin out of North Carolina. There is also local officials in South Carolina saying the same thing. FEMA greenlit thirty two million dollars in aid for households in North Carolina, eighty seven million dollars for Florida your neck of the woods, andrew fifty seven million dollars for South Carolina, in six hundred and thirty two thousand dollars in Tennessee. These are all states that back Donald Trump, that Donald Trump won in twenty twenty. Can we if you guys don't mind, I want to talk about this idea because I did hear the caller's pain, and I heard him reference migrants coming here. And what I appreciate that he said is this government don't care about migrants either. And I'm so happy at his moment of frustration that he was able to acknowledge that there is a I won't even call it a rumor. It's a vicious lie spread by Donald Trump, meant to weaponize communities of color. So I appreciate that he, you know, understood that there is no money from FEMA being given to migrants. That is demonstrably false, That is googlably false. That is not true. I think it's so important when you hear that.
Speaker 2: Yees correction. Can I just it was true for but it was true for Trump. He actually took FEMA money on.
Speaker 4: During his administration.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I would like you to say more about that, but let me just say what's happened in Yeah, I'm in Yes I FEMA. So there is no money being diverted from FEMA to go to migrants. There is a program called the Shelter and Service Program, and there was six hundred and fifty million dollars in funding to house migrants. This was during the fiscal year of twenty twenty four. That program is not run or that money does not come out of FEMA, but FEMA does oversee that program. Where that six hundred and fifty million dollars came from was actually US Customs and Borders. FEMA just oversaw the program. But if you could andrew expand upon Donald Trump, was the person diverting FEMA reliefs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I want I apologize to interruption. I just wanted to. I did it at that time because you're you're You're right, he's he's blaming, he's projecting onto Democrats at this time. Well, he's the one who took money out of agencies. He shouldn't have been grabbing money from to UH to pay for the wall that that Mexico was going to build to undergird his anti immigrant sentiment with federal money. He couldn't negotiate out of the US Congress, so he got his agencies to ship resources around. Tiffany, You're you're getting at, like, I think really the understated part of all of this, because once I get past the pain, not just this call of but stuff that we keep hearing caricatured by Republican lawmakers. Angela, I'm thinking about your conversation on Breakfast Club the other week with Caper uh in chief out of Florida, the congressman Byron donas well. No, I don't because I think we should. Yeah, Okay, we'll leave it at Caper republic racist misogynists, anti LGBT, anti equality, anti everything party. Let me put my cape on, go in and write for the Republican Party as to why they're right for the wrong that they out they're doing and spewing that aside. I don't think we pay enough attention to the amount of money that our adversaries are broad and at home right now in the form of Donald Trump, the MAGA movement and the Republican Party, and the misinformation that's being directly, directly tended and targeted to war communities of color. The federal government already in their twenty sixteen report on the Russia, China and North Korea interference in the US elections, said that what they do is that they take splinters and the US population and culture and people, the difference, you know, the grievances between black folk, white folks, so on and so forth, and then they manipulated and make it to appear outsized, so that every time you pick up your phone, why is it that I'm only getting stuff about immigrants coming in taking welfare, doing this, this, this, that, and the third. Well, that's because it's intentional and it's targeted. It's a lie, but you're getting it because there are people who are being paid, who are working full time to get it to you, and so I often I don't know if it's charity or if it is just like I hear you and I know where that's coming from. I hear him. I know where it's coming from. And it's not his own fault necessarily, because lots of cases we're unaware of the influences that are being targeted at us without our knowing, we were taking it as real information when in fact you've got the Republican Party along with foreign allies, foreign enemies of the US government, who are intentioned around creating mischief in this country so that we basically blame the wrong people. Now let me say this and I'll stop, and that is they can't manipulate where nothing is there, where nothing exists. So I don't want to gaslight anybody into thinking that they're creating issues that don't exist. Not true. There are issues. It's real. It's harmful, and it's hurtful. As you saw in the opening of this even podcast in our conversation about it, it's extremely heavy and hurtful. So I don't want to I don't want to say these things don't happen. But what I'm saying is the misinformation that is around this sentiment and our experience is being exploded and explosive off of manipulation. Yes, let's solve fema. Yes, let's solve the issues around racial uh uh uh and white supremacy in this country. But also yes, don't play the food and put people there who are the ones manipulating and moving us around on a game board like pieces for their own benefit.
Speaker 1: I want to really quickly respond to one other piece. He brought Ukraine up in response to you know, they got money for Ukraine and all this, but not for us. That is one of those moments where fillings meets facts. The reason why I want to I want to harp on this just for a moment's because I think it's important to note Congress has approved one hundred and seventy six billion dollars in.
Speaker 3: Aid to the Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Now you all know that Democrats aren't in charge at least on the House side. They are on the Senate side, so something to be said about that filibuster and the lack of movement there as well. But there was a whole fight, you all know, even while we were at ALC the Congressional black Hawks Foundation that whether or not the government was going to get shut down again. This has become the like the thing, the ball they keep slightly pushing down the field.
Speaker 3: Well, in that CR the Continuing.
Speaker 1: Resolution, Congress approved another twenty billion dollars in disaster reliefs funds, specifically to be used through December December twentieth of this year.
Speaker 3: So twenty billion.
Speaker 1: Dollars compared to one hundred and seventy six billion dollars. There's a significant gap there. There's a significant gap there. And I'm talking about go ahead, Uh huh no.
Speaker 2: I just so this is what they do. They put us in positions to act from a deficit mentality. Sure there is enough to do it all. These are the choices that the leaders there are making.
Speaker 3: I am agreeing with you.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that man's this is where that man's feelings get the facts he is seeing if he knows the numbers, and even if he doesn't know the numbers, if he just knows how he feels that they're like Katrina.
Speaker 3: They responded with helicopters from the coast Guard.
Speaker 1: After the fact, I don't want and after the facts with these people, I am crying and stress and feeling anxious because I don't want that response after the fact, that's too late.
Speaker 3: Too many lives lost, that can't happen.
Speaker 1: And to that point, Andrew, the thing that I was going to pivot to you on is you have been talking to the mayoral staff in Tampa, You've been talking to local and state elected officials and appointed folks. Can you please, for the people who might hear this and still need relief, give them the access to the resources that are available on the state level and the federal level, the immediate resources. You do know how FEMA responds and works with state and local government. It's important people to understand that. But first, can we just give them relief. We can't be saying on our podcast there's no relief. We literally know places. They can call websites, they can visit applications, they can file terrible orgs to tap into.
Speaker 3: Let's please give them that.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, of course also do that on our website, on our socials, but I want to make sure we give them that and then we can tap back into critique.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate you mentioning that. And I'm assuming for the folks who are listening at this time, this will be the time that the storm has at least moved over its point of entry into the state to Florida, and its probably moved further up the coast. But the truth is is that that's when we're going to need the attention the most. Once the storm has passed and the cameras have left. Now you've got to rebuild your house. Now you've got to bury your loved ones. Now you have to figure out how to make a way out of no way. And I'll just say so, there's plenty of resources that I could cite, but I want to just cite one in particular, and that is FEMAS. That's the agency in charge of handling national disasters. On behalf of the federal government has an Office of Civil Rights. If you feel like your community, your neighborhood, where you live, the areas that you have concern and where you need the most help is being disregarded because of who you are, where you live, the color of your skin, or any of the above and not mentioned, you have the ability to call eight three three two eight six seven four four eight. That office is available to then investigate claims and bring resolution on behalf of FEMA. Okay, And so there's a lot of there are a lot of local agencies.
Speaker 3: Does that.
Speaker 2: Obviously, stay in touch with your local governments. They will have the most updated and relevant information for you. And then finally, please visit Florida disaster dot org where very nuanced and specific information will be on that site based off of where you live. If you want to know about your county, your city, where you can go sleep out of shelter, what food resources may be available to you, that site is intended to be a catch all where you can get access to that information. And obviously through the comments and questions that you all submit, if there are elements of help that you need that we have not yet mentioned by way of a resource here, please let us know and we'll try to get that information to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Andrew, I want us if we can just to play this question.
Speaker 12: Hi, Nana lampod banner all the way from Atlanta, Georgia. I know last week you guys were questioning the October Surprise. If that you know what the conversation was last week, But my question is, is Helene and Milton the October Surprise? I asked, because we have people in North Carolina who are still suffering. Are they not able to request absentee ballots? Are the polling stations open? And now we have Milton who is going to have a direct hit on Florida. So will that have an effect on absentee ballot requests and polling stations if they are not up and running, if it is anticipated devastation that is being predicted.
Speaker 4: Thank you have a wonderful day. Well, I know, Andrew, you want to get to her her question because I just first say y'all, we'd love y'all sending us questions. They looked like SERI was driving or was either way either way. I mean, maybe she was, maybe she was in the best Sometimes you can't tell these things, but either way, guys, we love.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 4: Want to make sure that you guys are not driving while you're videoing your question.
Speaker 3: Don't drive at all, So this is real.
Speaker 4: Seriously, she gets I drove for twenty four plus years, but when I moved home, I'm saying that got rid of my car. I do drive, I just don't have my car anymore. But you don't drive when you are videan videotaping these questions anyway.
Speaker 2: Hand, that's I'm sure on the side that she was on the safe side. We'll see also because.
Speaker 3: It will be a bail fund need to be raised for Cherie if.
Speaker 2: None Angela, you remember this, But just a few weeks prior to the election, a storm came across my part of the state. I had to leave the campaign troill for a week to go intent to it. And it coincidentally, Uh, the storm went over what was a very republican part of the state, the Panhandular golf Uh coast region, and the governor was able to extend the opportunities and means of voting, and that some supervisors of elections were legitly taking people's ballots over facts a mile. I know what is a fact amole. That's the actual name to a fact machine.
Speaker 4: Saying that extra.
Speaker 3: It's not called a fact simile.
Speaker 4: I say fact simile. But Andrew is so extra.
Speaker 2: So after French version of Andrew, no I did it for emphasis That is like they voted be a what right?
Speaker 3: Yeah said that wrong?
Speaker 2: No I did it for I did okay, which, hey, believe what you want to believe, whichever side. The point is is that the local the way elections work in this country is typically headed by counties and county supervisor elected provisions have a lot of officials have a lot of room in which they are able to ensure that the vote that they want in their counties gets cast and gets counted. And so I would say, at least in the state of Florida, to the extent that the stormers may have some impacts in North Carolina and so on and so forth, the counties will be able to make certain steps, and the state can do things like expand voting hours and open up the window at which people are able to vote and impact where people can vote. So, if a storm is taken out a building, hey how about this, Why don't you come on down to the courthouse or come on down to this facility or that facility to cast your vote. But I think no doubt it will have an impact. I just wouldn't necessarily overstate one way or the other whether or not it'll be demonstrative enough to flip a state.
Speaker 4: I love that question, though. I think it's real. I think we got to take a quick break. Is it time? Am I jumping the gun down to me? Yeah? All right, we'll want to take a quick break and we'll see you on the other side.
Speaker 2: So, now we're on the other side of the break, and I want to welcome you all back to this conversation which has I know it can be heavy for folks sometimes, or tells me sometimes she has to take a break from listening for our pod and come back and pick up the second half. Sure she comes back coming back. I just to round up this conversation on on on female and really where I was trying to go with this sort of deficit mentality is that while we can look at a look at the numbers in a particular budget, I just I want to call out that Republicans particularly do this to us so that we can be constituencies groups of people fighting each other, instead of turning our attention directly toward them and saying, well, it's fine for Ukraine to get the support that it gets out of international and foreign aid support. That's why that account exists. But why is it that you are budgeting a tenth of what is needed in this area. You're budgeting a tenth of what is needed by families to put their children in early learning. You're budgeting a tenth of what is needed for housing, affordability and access. Y'all got the money, you made the decision, elected official policymaker, largely Republicans, to divert this money in the ways in what you want to do. And the way you get away with it is by pointing out immigrants are taking your money rather than creating the money that needs to be intended directly for us. That's the challenge I want to throw back to them. Don't pit me against another community because the money's there. I want you to take stock of the fact that you have an obligation to fund me and pay me what you owe me. Put the money in the budget that my community deserves.
Speaker 3: Now speaking of that, uh, I heard you? No?
Speaker 4: No, I I was about to say, can I tell y'all what happened? But if we go into some place?
Speaker 2: Actually, no, because I think all of this honestly falls under the same umbrella. Can you share your experience? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, what were you about to say? I don't want to cut you off.
Speaker 1: I was about to go to the other listener question we had, but we could do it after your.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, sor right, I'll tell y'all what happened. So I we all of us speak all over the country, and I had a couple of speaking engagements this week, so I was criss crossing the country and I was speaking. One of these engagements was out of school. I don't want to say the state or location or anything like that. I don't want to be in violation of any of my speaking contracts, but I will say that this school was a the Mason Dixon Mine. I was not in the South, and it was supposed to be a point counterpoint conversation before some high school students, and it was I never looked at questions in advance because I like an authentic conversation. So they did send questions, but I didn't look at them. And it was, you know, generally, things like how do you get into your career? You know what parts of your education influenced your career now? And one of the questions asked was what do you think I was? It was me sitting opposite a conservative Republican. I don't know why. I mean, I'm a Democratic voter, but like, I'm not a mouse piece for the party in any way, form or fashion, but sure I can sit there and represent a point of view. One of the questions was what do you think both sides can do to tamp down the rhetoric? Given these divisive times. So my answer was, I think we first have to be honest that it's not both sides introducing this rhetoric. And I proceeded to give several examples of Republican elected officials who have said violent things, mainly Donald Trump, and at that point the conversation ceased to be civil. Now now we end up back and forth, me and this guy, and one of the things that he said was he did not believe that Vice President Harris was intellectually capable to be president. So I and I'm sitting before an audience. This school is a private school, costs the bazillion dollars to go there. You can imagine what the audience looks like. Uh, it's you know, a little diverse, not very diverse, but what mostly wealthy people with some scholarship attendees. Then at that point, because now at it's starting to feel like this is not a good use of my time to go back and forth, and we started talking policy. We talked to Reagan administration, and you know, I'm saying, how problem mad and he was like, well, the country was safer under Reagan. We'll safer for who, you know. I didn't feel safe. So then it's time for Q and A. Andrew, I asked you this, Andrew, Angela, have you ever been disrespected by a little white kid before?
Speaker 2: Because I'm not and she means a little bit like nine years old, you know, younger.
Speaker 4: A child, a child like a nine year old, well, no age under eighteen a child? Has a little white kid ever disrespected you before?
Speaker 3: I don't know that I can recall, right now.
Speaker 2: I must say I would say yes.
Speaker 4: I say, if it happened, you wouldn't be able to recall it immediately, like it does something.
Speaker 2: So this child recall everybody calling me mister Gilliam and then it's one Andrew.
Speaker 3: Right right?
Speaker 4: Were you talking to you?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: So this child raises his hand and asks a question, and he says, this question is for miss the miss like wavering, like I don't even know her name. So we already starting out on the wrong foot. And he says, you tell this story about standing in line with your grandmother for four hours to vote in nineteen eighty four? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yes it is?
Speaker 4: And he says, well, I just got my license and I was in line at the DMV for a little over three hours. Is it your assertion that anytime someone has to stand in line. It's oppression, or perhaps you'd like to add a little more context to that story. Let me just tell you in this moment, because it's about five hundred kids, students, educators in the audience, and I have to collect myself because I want to I have to remember this as a child. I don't think this child would have spoken to anyone else like that. I don't think he would have addressed the conservative like that. I don't think he would address someone who didn't look like me like that. And so I do my very best to answer his question, and I say to him, while I'm so happy you're so concerned about voting rights, the d m V is not analogous. And I proceed to ei.
Speaker 1: There is waiting in line for Jordan's bitch, like, what are we talking about? My plan?
Speaker 4: But I'm using the same thing, right, But in this moment, I have to be It's a privilege, right. But I realized for me to engage you on a certain level will give you the impression we are on the same level, and so I have to be the adult here, you know, and I have to educate this young man. And so I explained, well, I mean I'm not going to conduct my like one thing I won't give is somebody my dignity, least of all his little boy, you know, And so I'm not going to swear at him snatched his But you're not at the expense of mind. And so I'm explaining to him. I'm like, well, since you're so concerned, surely you're familiar with Shelby be Holder. Of course he's not, because he was a child when this happened. And so I'm explaining to him about pre clearance. And you know, I don't I won't have to repeat the whole thing is you already know. But I'm explaining to him it wasn't an opinion, like it was established that people were oppressing our voting rights, and so when they struck down the section that protected that, that's why you see all these I'm telling them all this, and I'm explaining him why that's not really analogous. But even if your DMV experience should turn into your voting rights experience, I want you to know I would fight for your path to the ballot box with the same passion I fight for mine, because even though there are people who don't afford me the courtesy of seeing my humanity, I can still see yours, and I hope that answers your question. So then there are other questions afterwards. The kids are trying to take pictures and I'm taking pictures with some kids and it's a group of little young white boys over there, and they're like, oh, man, we wanted to be in the picture. And the Dinas students are and says, oh, boys, if you want to get in a picture, I can, and they all start laughing and they were like, no, We're okay, like they were making a joke. But I'm standing there like I'm a grown ass woman being in disrespect almost bully buddies little children. So you know what I'll I wanted to do and what I wanted to say. I was just on the receiving end of this man saying all type of disrespectful things about Vice President Harris, never affording her the courtesy of calling her Vice President Harris. He would only refer to her as Kamala and saying all kind of misinformation before these students. And I have to tell you what I called Andrew this morning because I wanted to just talk about it because I've been so upset about it since it happened. When we left, I was obligated to go to dinner contractually, I had to go to dinner with them, but I felt so alone. I felt incredibly alone because there weren't a lot of mes in that audience when we left. You know, I'm at dinner with like the donors of the school and all the things, and I just felt like I had had a little bit of hope about the direction of the country. I've been saying, this is a serious finale of the people who think this way. And I looked at these young people. They were telling the conservative speaker how hard it is to be a conservative student and how they can't even in their papers to their educators sometimes because they're afraid they're going to be judged. And the conservative was talking to them like I'm so sorry you're going through that, and I just threw up in my mouth a little bit, you know, like get me the fuck out of here, Like I just but I just I don't know. It has blanketed me since this incident happened, and I don't even know how to process it. But I know it's been a long time since I've been faced with that kind of disrespect, and I don't even know how to process it. So I just wanted to share that story with y'all and get y'all's opinion or how you would have handled it, you know, cause like I said, I hangel, I hear you, but I'm not gonna do that with a kid, you know, like I'm not going to talk to you a certain way because I don't even want you to think you can talk to me a certain way. So I don't know that. I just wanted to say that's what happened, but it's been bothering me so much and it made me sad, but like angry because I'm like, the ancestors died so i could pop this little point in the mouth, That's.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying. I'm like, do it for Harriet.
Speaker 1: I'm confuiosed, I'm like, but I'm not saying I'm completely who who?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Like I don't it? Also is it? He isn't himself? He is a problem, but he isn't the problem, right right?
Speaker 3: He is so much bigger than the symptom.
Speaker 2: It's just bigger.
Speaker 1: I think I think that, you know, I guess I simarily reject the fact that me putting a child in their place where they belong.
Speaker 3: Is me losing my dignity? I don't think at all.
Speaker 4: I just want to be clear. I didn't say that, but like, like that is to me.
Speaker 1: I would, I would, I would absolutely do it. And I might I say bitch, I might say bitch, I might be like whatever. But I guess my point is you getting your license and then having a car to drive is a privilege, the hard fought experience in this country so that you can vote as a young person, so that your vote wouldn't be questioned, which sounds like he may not even be voting age yet he's yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's it's it's it is it was.
Speaker 1: It is a completely different battle, and I think that there are ways to be stern. We have a professional development program and there was a young person in the program recently who wanted to spar with me, and I got to the point.
Speaker 4: Where I actually listen to story.
Speaker 3: Too much because it would.
Speaker 1: It would give it would give her the ability to post this on her page.
Speaker 3: So maybe she went out anyway.
Speaker 1: But I guess what I would say is and she's left the program, which is her choosing. But what I said is this is not a debate. This is what it is, and I think that you know, there are some moments that call for that I would have. I was trying to My mom talks about this all the time. The most important skill that we can learn life is perspective taking. And so when you were when you were explaining the story, I was trying to put myself in the position of someone who you know, was a progressive student, co founded my Black student union in my high school, had folks that come to speak to us that I didn't agree with, and I was the student that would challenge them. You know, I've always in that way, whether it was our seventh grade history teacher or somebody that came to speak. And I don't know that challenge challenging someone someone's experience when it's so different than mine, is in and of itself disrespectful.
Speaker 3: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: I think I heard. I think I heard, and I was I was going to.
Speaker 1: Say the part that I think is remarkably disrespectful.
Speaker 3: It's him acting like he didn't know her name.
Speaker 1: What the stuff that they pulled there was bullying afterwards, the stuff that kids do sometimes the substitute teachers, right like that, none of that is cool.
Speaker 2: It doesn't say I think, and I think none of it is separated either. I think all of that is the same, the attitude around his whole being and not just him, the condition, the environment, the teacher, the speaker, the dinner, after all of this is it reminded me. I told you this morning to this episode of White Lotus, you know, the first season where the woman's there and she's talking about how hard it is to be a young white man today. You know you have saftim sympathy for your brother. And I was so like, what the fuck is this? But then I told Tivity's money. It was such an enlightening experience for me, that little moment, because I see how we live in diametrically opposed universes. Right, these guys feel aggrieved, and I told to this they are grieved at the fact that they are coming into the knowingness that they're actually not that great, that all the things, the lies you've been told around civilization is permanent, it ain't permanent. But also, you didn't deserve that shit anyway. Y'all thought it was violent. You stole it, you you lied, you pillaged, you thieve, you killed, you murdered, and when the murder wasn't justified, you lied about why you did it. And so all of these things that you imagine having been from the place of birth in the wound before you ever thought of that, you are imbued with this spirit that you are the greatest thing that has ever walked the land. And then all the institutions that you encounter reiterate the point that you're the greatest thing that's walked the land. And then she gets, you know, mixed up, and time evolves, and now you actually have to prove that you're the greatest thing. And so I get why the co panelist said she's not intellectually da da da da. It's because what he's doing one, he's gaslighting. What he's saying is the insecurity I have about me that I'm not as smart as I thought, and I was told I was. I'm not as great. I didn't work as I didn't get here through the same paths she had to work quite as hard as me. They won't ever have to come to that realization. They're battling with it, which is why they're projecting we're inferior. I mean, think about how Trump talks about her and not just her. People right now on their jobs who may be listening, People who we know encounter day in and day out. They are sitting there riding our way, headphones on, rolling the ads that their white colleague as they look across them, look at them across the room, thinking the story that Tiffany just shared is one that they experience ten times a day, every day, a weekend, there all the time.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm saying. So, Andrew, you cut me off in the middle of my thoughts.
Speaker 3: This is the thing. He don't care. He don't care.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought what you were saying was you you thought she should have yoped the man's soul.
Speaker 3: I'm about to I'm about to go there.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is more graphic than what this podcast audience is used to hearing me say. But let me just say this in really clear terms so we can move on from this young child that is not even a voting at It's a system. Sometimes, y'all, you just got to get one off. And what I mean by that is it might be a cuss out, it might be a busting a nut, it might be sometimes you just gotta get one OFFI my point, don't.
Speaker 3: Act don't don't, don't clutch your pearls now my.
Speaker 4: Pearls I'm exhaling at the point you're making. I ain't got no cl to clutch.
Speaker 1: You know, you know me.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting, but I'm just saying, you, guys, I know there was more graphic parents.
Speaker 3: If you haven't me listening, sorry, it's the truth. Here's the thing, you guys.
Speaker 1: I think that Tiff could really benefit from just getting one off.
Speaker 3: Sometimes she's like, no, my dignity, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I gotta push. I think we just have a very different Andrew, I think we have a very different style. Like I'm not saying. My point to you is I did get one off with this child, like I felt very comfortable and how I addressed him and dressed him. Car in there exactly talking about let me push back the thing that I will like you don't get it off as in the problem is resolved. It's still a sadness that there are so many young people who feel this way, like this is this victim class of like I'm a white right, That's what I'm caring what you're saying, right, the man I will saying. I think what I'm saying students in the audience, all of them, everything I hear that.
Speaker 1: I think what I'm saying is there's sometimes there's a way to get one off enough to where you're not carrying it. And I'm just saying I disagree with that, and I okay, yeah, because I there is there was nothing I would be able to say to him that I wasn't gonna walk away and carry the weight of white supremacy, you know, like that is. I mean, I don't know how we stopped carrying beeted with right, thank you, Andrew. That's my point affected with liberation, right, And so it wouldn't under the bowel yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 4: I felt more liberated than in the fact that I didn't have to confront this on a routine basis the way so many other people do. But also it would not have felt freeing to get into a back and forth with this child that would have given the impression that we are on the same level. It wouldn't have felt friend to swear at this child that and I just don't communicate that way. But I think I have a keen ability to walk away and leave somebody bleeding without sacrificing my dignity in the process without putting my money in harm's way in the process. I just didn't want to do that. Like, that's that's not how I.
Speaker 1: I'm and I'm not not any of those things, because I think we keep on responding to this. I'm saying something in response to something that you're not saying. You're saying something in response to something I'm not saying. I'm not talking about sacrificing dignity. I'm not talking about swearing as a child. I'm not talking about losing your speaking engaging money. I'm not so. But maybe my idea of I'm not saying getting one off and then white supremacy is resolved.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that, you know, but I think this is a legitimate discussion too, because there are I think you have to make a quick assessment so many times as black people, and so my opinion has always been, if somebody is in front of my face saying something crazy, you have to take a quick assessment of it. I do this with everybody, no matter what they look like, but with a white person or Karen, if that person's in front of me saying something crazy, I either I'm gonna go spider monkey right away, or I'm going to handle myself in a way that if law enforcement shows up, they gonna see a crazy white woman and a calm black woman who's been videotaping this chick the whole time, so precisely, precisely. Now, the other side of this is if I'm saying something, I ain't throwing stones and hide in my hands. And I want to be real clear about that. I don't have a lot of I'm not in tears. I'm not like there is a switch that can go where now I'm putting everybody in harm's way. If it gets to the point like if i'm I'll calling somebody out their name, then we on a whole another. Now we just two people with a problem with each other, and I don't need anybody around me to help at that point, Like at that point, we two adults with a problem, and it's gonna be a problem it is, So I try to conduct myself within the realms of what is responsible not only to myself, but responsible to the people around me. We had this conversation around other things, but my mother would tell me that, like, don't put the men in this family in harm's way. You know, like if you my brother is a like first, you know, I can't say, hey, this is have my brother been in that audience? It was gonna be a problem, you know, So I don't know. We always have to make that assessment of what are we going to do in this moment? And I think so many of us have to make that call how am I going to conduct myself in this moment? And it's hard and it's taxing on the system to do that. I'm sorry, go ahead, no, no, go I want to hear you know.
Speaker 2: I experienced what you described, I think completely outside of the individuals at play and much more systemic as a like, this is how we can make the This is how you, as a well trained, well known public speaker, and me or somebody in Tallahassee who's a lineman for the public utility. This is where we have common ground. That he's dealing with a man on his job, or probably many of them who don't think he deserves to be there, don't think he's as good at his job as now he's he working circles around them, but they can't appreciate that. In fact, their existence can't allow that to be true, because then it would mean that they were told to lie. If you're always the best, nobody can be better than you. And so what I felt from your experience was that we every single day have to fit ourselves into their box. To Angela's point, not true liberation, not true freedom, not really being able to move in the way you want to move, because there are still ways in which we must comport ourselves in the environment, in the world in which they have created. And I know it's hard for any of us to think about the fact that we change the way we are, we move our being based off of their systems or their rules. But that's what systemic racism and oppression actually is. When the job application, when it goes up, the description for the job looks like it is perfectly written and suited for your experience. Ie, you need thirty years in finance in order to be responsible to this contract that we just put out on the street for you to compete for this job. Well, who the hell wasn't allowed in the business thirty year? You know what? So if it's suited for you, then of course you cannot comprehend. Donald Trump cannot comprehend the Kamala Harris is better than he is that he didn't work for what he's got, that he doesn't deserve to be on the stage on which he is competing right now. These folks cannot get into their minds, and we're forcing it into their minds, which is what underscores I think this election right here is that you're not as good as they said you were, and you're absolutely not as good as me. And this fight that is gonna, I think, get a lot worse before it gets better. Really is a lot of people waking up to a reality that they have never contemplated. And if I were to put myself in that shoe, because I don't have that shoe, but if I were to put myself in that shoe, I'm imagining it would be jolting, and I'm imagining I would reach for the lowest aspect of my character and trying to make you feel less human because I'm projecting, Yeah, because you are not holding a mirror up to me showing me that I'm not who I thought I was.
Speaker 4: Yeh, yeah, I look well. I think black folks deal with this kind of thing all the time. I know we have had to deal with this.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make it okay, right.
Speaker 4: But it's just in those quick second decisions like how am I going to handle this situation? Like what am I going to do? And sometimes, to your point, Angel about just getting one off, sometimes that comes with a real ass sacrifice. You know, sometimes that comes with violence, and are we ready to confront that violence?
Speaker 2: But no, but it.
Speaker 4: Might not be you like sometimes you're gonna get I'm just saying, and they're gonna respond in a way that's you know, then it's then now it's the other problem.
Speaker 1: So I'm just being protective of what I'm communicating. I am not advocating for violence on this show. I am not advocating for anyone to debase themselves, to degrade themselves, to lose their dignity.
Speaker 3: I'm not advocating for any of that.
Speaker 1: I hear the point that you're making broad more broadly that that could mean that for someone making that calculation.
Speaker 3: But I just want to make very clear what.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, getting one off is not getting one off at all costs.
Speaker 4: No, No, And I didn't even think you were suggesting violence. I'm saying, when you get one off with your mouth, you might get one off with your mouth with somebody who's ready to get one off with their fists.
Speaker 3: So if I'm doing stand back and stand back.
Speaker 4: But my point is if I'm doing that, I'm prepared for that response. You know, Sometimes I am. I mean sometimes it is my dignity. Sometimes it's like I'm not about to let this old seventeen year old boy, who little boy, please like what I look like arguing with you and getting them all in my feelings with you. It wasn't him, it was the environment. It was y'all represent tomorrow. And I have been under the impression that this attitude is shrinking, it is dying off that these kids are, you know, they're more progressive. And this is why it's been this intense fight because these older conservative white men, and what I was confronted with is that isn't there. They're not dying. Trump will die. Trump is shockingly may be here to stay. I don't know if it's shockingly but sadly may be here to stay.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all, I want to say I'm going to sacrifice my topic today because I know we got into a lot today and and may just say this and that is I think it is going to be. I just want to acknowledge that getting one off or feeling better for yourself in the moment. No, No, I just want to say, Angela gave us the language, y'all. But I'm actually not talking about the language. I'm just saying whatever it is we feel like we got to do to capture our humanity in that moment. I just want to acknowledge for a second that it is a privilege to even consider yes. Because we talked about the violence that can ensue. I'm just gonna deal with the fact that you might lose your damn job. Yeah, you might not get you can't show up here anymore. Your membership has been revoked. That's what I mean about. We got a little sense of liberation, freedom moving the way we want to move, and then there are these moments that happen in our lives that just remind us. Damn, God, damn. I haven't curated the independence I thought I once did, because I still got to put up with this booll right, you know what I'm saying. When I thought I was, you know that we had moved on, and I absolutely heard your hurt TIF, which was, geez, We're sitting at this precipice of a new moment, a new opportunity for this country. But I'm looking at the next generation and y'all a throwback completely, and this group will be a throwback so long as the future is existential to their existence.
Speaker 4: Well and what I mean, thank you?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm gonna stop there existential to their future. And now we got to take a break.
Speaker 3: And when we talk breaks for our existential future?
Speaker 2: Did I did just say that? Or no you did again?
Speaker 4: But we got to talk about what we're going to talk about on the mini pod and c t as. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: So yes, it is.
Speaker 1: It is now pastime for calls to actions Andrew, since you have said.
Speaker 4: Just wait, can we are we doing a mini pod? Sure?
Speaker 3: What would you like to do the mini pod on?
Speaker 4: I don't know what y'all want to do the mini pot on. I just wanted to talk about it before we did ct AS.
Speaker 3: Maybe audience building. Where do we go?
Speaker 1: We've been having this conversation and about where Kamala Harris' campaign should go and down this final stretch.
Speaker 3: Where should we go.
Speaker 1: Through the final stretch with these live shows that we are doing. And we love to get some input on collabse and the like from our viewing audience, so we can talk about that. We could also continue, you know, getting want to throw up them dukes? Yeah, throw up them dukes? Or do you keep your dignity? Since we can't in twenty minutes, but not with this group.
Speaker 4: No, because we might have more we might have more time. We might do a thirty minute Oh my ct Okay, my Cca. Y'all gonna be tired of.
Speaker 1: Me even talking about rude. You're not sorry, You're not sorry.
Speaker 2: I am sorry, You're not sorry. I don't always know what I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I ain't sorry.
Speaker 3: Beyonce, you don't know Beyonce. Wow.
Speaker 4: Anyhow, my CTA is given the after disasters we've seen. Y'all know, I love, love, love animals, and my phone knows because they always feeding me. Please obviously don't leave your animals behind. But the A s p c A is doing amazing, amazing, amazing work on ground. They literally go in and rescue animals. And no, I'm not they need to, boy, andrewsh I just wanted to show they're doing a great job on rescuing animals. And I donate every month. It literally just comes right out of my account every month, so I don't even see the money, but if you do five dollars, ten dollars anything, they're just the most heartfelt people rescue on these animals. People are animals who are abandoned, horses, cats, dogs, domestic animals, all of it. So anyway, thank you to the work that they're doing. And if you are so moved, please consider it donation.
Speaker 1: Andrew, just have a CTA because you wanted to announce you there is the whole time during.
Speaker 4: Act and you didn't hear him the.
Speaker 3: Whole time you were talking. Andrew, do not talk my CTA. Do not talk.
Speaker 1: If you have one said for your time, your time in the middle of my time.
Speaker 3: Please put your mute on. Nick is gonna cuss you out for this crosstalk today.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this is serious what I'm about to say. Okay, for those of you who do not remember Katrina, or for every other natural disaster that has claimed the lives of many Americans, I would invite you to look back at documentaries about when the levees broke from two thousand and five. I was telling Tiff and Andrew earlier today that my first responsibility at my job at the National Association for Equal Opportunity at higher Education was going to a press conference about the Katrina response, particularly as it related to historically black colleges in the area. That were also stated, and I just don't want us to lose our humanity in this moment. It does not matter what party you're voting for or if you vote. You deserve to live and you do deserve to be evacuated and all of that. Andrew shared resources earlier in the program. There are things that we can do. Questions we can answer on this program. Mayors, we can call state or local elected officials, the president. You all know that every single resource that we have is yours, and we want to make sure that we make that as accessible as possible. We want to democratize access. That is why we chose the career path we chose. So if we can help, please call on us. We mean that we know that we're not a first responder, we may not even be a second but if we can be a fourth responder and an advocate for what you need to survive this storm in any other we are here. When we say welcome home, we mean it, so welcome home and know that you can call on us with any question you have.
Speaker 3: You can send in a video you can dm us. We are here for you.
Speaker 1: You are our family and we want to see you survive. Andrew, do you have a call to action? You have to get off mute. Yes, please, sir, see what I'm saying. This is what I'm saying, trying to be serious and okay, sure, that's sure, Okay.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't have a C. I've already taken mine up in y'all's so.
Speaker 4: You want ct A C.
Speaker 3: You're in Florida, Andrew, give a ct.
Speaker 2: A I A. I mean, honestly, y'all, I'm in alignment with everything we've already said so far in the show, and we got to change some things. Man.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you thank you? Then?
Speaker 1: Since you don't have a CTA, I just you guys, don't want you to know. Andrew this morning, when he heard this callar tone from calling the breakfast club, was so struck by this he literally called everyone in Florida, you cannot tell me this man is not completely dedicated to public service, whether he has the title or not.
Speaker 3: So Andrew, I just thank God for you. I think got it.
Speaker 1: Any point, it's not a fight, let me thank you please? Any point?
Speaker 3: Who sid you are right now.
Speaker 4: Trying to thank you, you'd be difflcting, but go ahead. This is christ Okay, at least I wait till y'all thank you over. But I was just going to say, he said no.
Speaker 1: The only thing I was going to say was, Andrew, I can't think of a time where somebody has reached out to you needing support and you have figured it out. And when I tell y'all, he got on the phones immediately, calling the mayor of Tampa, calling the first Lady of Tampa, calling elected officials in the area.
Speaker 3: He literally has been NonStop on this.
Speaker 1: And I know some of it is from the trauma of living through a hurricane where you had lights for a month, but you are Florida through and through, and I know Floridians thank God for you, but so do folks from all over the country, including your dear sisters.
Speaker 3: And so I just want to say thank you, y'alls.
Speaker 2: Thank you as always for the challenge Angela and Tiffany, and I just say Sean Pittman also was very helpful as I was. We were down before the show, and Finrist Driscoll, who is the African American Minority African American coincidental but also Democratic leader in the Florida House of Representatives in Tampa is her region, and she she is fierce and is doing every everything within her power to make sure that we survive this thing. But it really does hurt when you hear a call like that where someone's like, we bought you know, we're almost dead, y'all. You know we could be. And what was hard for me was knowing that he in so many cases, can be right about that. Yeah, and it isn't by accident, and we can say that in the mini pod. On another mini pod is talk about zoning. Why certain folks live in lower lying areas than others. Why are certain communities built on this side and not that side?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: So that's how this is how you know what's predictable about outcomes when you're looking at natural disasters. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 4: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Before we in the show, I want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Land Pod. We're available on all platforms and YouTube. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are Angela Rae, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillum. Welcome home, y'all. There are twenty six days only remaining total.
Speaker 8: For the last morning, say thank you for joining the Natives intention of with the info and all of the latest rock gulum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared.
Speaker 2: So grateful it took the OA to execute roads.
Speaker 8: Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truths even in pace for Welcome home to all of the Natives.
Speaker 4: We thank you.
Speaker 3: Welcome y'all.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is our production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all.