Speaker 1: Command this family. This is the game plan. We sit down with head coach Dan Quinn and talk about this exciting matchup with the Tennessee Titians.
Speaker 2: Then Brian and I talk impact players in this Tennessee game.
Speaker 1: Then we sit down and talk about the must watch matchups so we can get this w over the Tennessee Titans. All that more on the game plan. Welcome in head coach Dan Quinn into the game play coach, good to see you. Now we dropped a few games, soever we have a chance to get back into a wind callum today against the Tennessee Titians. What has been your message this week to the team.
Speaker 3: Man, it's been It's an awesome week because when you get challenged and you have a culture, and that's when it gets really fulfilled, not during the times that is going smooth, like how we live it, it's how we speak it, it's how we do all of that together. And so I'm actually pretty fired up about it, and I want to make sure that identity that we want is able to be fully expressed today about how hard we play the finish and if we do those things right, you know, the score will take care of itself.
Speaker 2: And something else that I think is interesting is like, you know, how have the guys kind of handled it? You know, because you're such a good harbinger of culture and identity, how have the guys handled kind of a little bit of this adversity and then embracing what you're bringing?
Speaker 3: I think number one, Like for us, it starts with the truth. You got to be able to live it. You got to be able to tell it, and you've got to be able to receive it. And as a ballplayer or as a coach, the execution and the winning, it's on everybody. It's not they didn't do that or this tide like, that's not how we roll. So the way we get down like we are all in this together, responsibility is for everybody, and so start off the whole week by tell the truth Monday, and that's where we begin it. And then make sure these are the things we got to do together for us to go. We got a lot more in us and it's up to all of us to pull it out.
Speaker 2: And I think that's something that's very unique and somewhat special about coaches who can take that responsibility. Like where does that come from?
Speaker 4: For you?
Speaker 3: I've always loved you know, the part of the game where how do you get better? How do you dig in and get further. I think the teams that you have to go up and down a little bit, go through the adversity. You don't want to say you have to learn how to lose it. You have to know how not to and by losing some you have to go through that space to go And it's not just enough logan to learn the lessons, you have to apply them. You apply them into the game. And you got to make sure your identity and all that brings us us gets to be you know, fully expressed in the way that we play. And so I'd love that it all went up, you know, but we're only three months in and nothing's been decided yet. And so that's why I love our team, what we stand for, and we can't get wait to get back out there.
Speaker 1: And Colt, you're you know, strange it to all the noise that comes within an NFL season, But some of these young guys have not dealt with this yet. How have you kept them locked in?
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting we talked to the rookies earlier because you know, this is you know, about fifteen games or so in a row for all the guys that have played in the preseason, so it's the longest they've ever gone without taking a break. And sometimes it's a bigger, bigger hurdle mentally than it actually is physically. And the whole process of going through the postseason, the draft and where money to go takes an emotional toll getting here in training camp and in season. So there's a lot left in that reserve tank, and most of the time it's the other guys on the team and you're gonna be just fine. And I can remember my rookie year getting about Thanksgiving as a coaching I'm gonna die and you just kind of work it through, and but you know that part is coming for them, and so I wanted to make sure they knew that and could see that in one another, and how.
Speaker 4: Do we help them help them through that spot.
Speaker 3: But they'll come out stronger on the other end of this game, knowing they'll have some time to reset and this is the last buy. So I told them the advantages there's another rookie class that'll have be as fresh at the end of the season as you guys will do.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's some people don't understand fans specifically, Like it's at the end of all, like college is a completely different animal. But it's so hard each and every week to get up for the game. It's got it because you're going for one hundred, you know, eighteen times, sixteen times, seventeen times in a row.
Speaker 4: Like how do you?
Speaker 2: How do you? What's your process to get yourself there each and every week?
Speaker 3: You want to make sure that the week can feel the same to you. So what do you do on a Monday? What do you doing on a Wednesday?
Speaker 4: And a Thursday and a Friday?
Speaker 3: And as the end of the week comes, it really doesn't have anything more with the team anymore.
Speaker 4: You know, you've done the preparation.
Speaker 3: It's in the computer, you know the information that now it has to be getting yourself ripped up to say this is how we play and this and that. And so that's what I do love about our team. The fight they're in it, you know, not going back out of anything. And so that's why all these close games they'll carry over. There is carryover to these close fights, and it will pay dividends for us. And going through them is hard, and all the wins and losses they're all like you learn a lot from them.
Speaker 4: They're all equally important.
Speaker 3: They're not equally enjoyable, but they're equally important because you have to apply what you learned into the next game, the next moment that comes up. And not every moment comes up in every game. You know, this is a four minute, this is two minutes, this is overtime, whatever that is.
Speaker 4: You just get ready for it.
Speaker 1: And coach, looking at this office, you talk about it gets hard, right, Well, this is a working quarterback in jad and Daniels, and he has looked great this season to say the least, but he's dealt with a little bit of adversity these last few games. What if you see from him dealing with that adversity and how have you helps him get through that adversity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, number one, see it in the practice. You know, full speed running, timing and throwing, and so seeing him get outside the pocket and make some plays with his legs. That's what makes Jaden special. Duel threat, have the right blitz on he beats him, has the right coverage on, he can go to them, and so the more we can get him into remaining a passer. Now there's the whole other factor where they want to stop him as the runner and you rip it down the field, and so getting back into all that that's a big deal.
Speaker 4: And that's what we're going to continue to work really hard at.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of fans don't understand kind of late season practice and how that changes, and like, how have you guys kind of structured that to make sure that he's still getting what he needs out appropri.
Speaker 3: You may trim some periods down, but you want the speed logan. You know that the importance of touching the gas each week, so you stay your timing's ready. This overroute has to be this specific way, and it's all really important. So you may trim some parts down, but the further along you go in the season, you just become more efficient. This one, this one, this one to this one. You may only be out there sixty minutes, but you may have gotten in more than you used to at seventy seventy five minutes, just because the team is humming and going and they're out of the huddle, they're on the line, they can get two things more quickly. So it may not be as long, but it definitely needs to be as fast.
Speaker 1: And coach, we look at the offensive line. Another tough test taking on the Tennessee Titans. What do you expect from them today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Tennessee Titans provide a really good challenge overall. Defensively, they've really played well their third downs. They're aggressive at the line of scrimmage. So knowing that package, they've really come together quickly defensively, And for them, it definitely starts up front. They've got aggressive players they can rush, so it'll take a whole balance for us. Like and Logan's heard this, it takes all eleven to run the ball. It's the quarterback Cary and the play fake, it's the receiver blocking, it's the tight end on the backside. So all the guys will have a really important role in this.
Speaker 2: They got a guy it's kind of special, two special players, Sweat and Simmons Sums at that three technique and to kind of bounce in between. Can you talk about, because you are defensive defensive coach kind of at heart, why having that guy at that three technique can present so many different challenges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the listeners, you can see a defensive end outside and there's lots of ways to help on that player in a block and you've seen running teams a running back or a tight end may you know we call it chip or you're getting in the way. So he didn't have a free access. It's much more difficult to do inside. And so for a defensive tackle, like the running back can't be in the B gap those other things that are happening there, and so knowing that that's more difficult, that's what makes a player unique because now they're in spots where even if they want to slide somebody to them, there's ways that they can still get their one on one. And that's those guys they can really affect the game and.
Speaker 1: Coach another still a game about one seven Terry McLaurin. Now you have a lot of chances to have to scheme against the Terry mclaorn. What has been like coaching a guy like that and how important is he for this team?
Speaker 3: You you better never relax, you know, like taking your kids to the pool man you've never left unattended, Like this guy can go fifty nine minutes and fifty seconds. But the one time that you think you're okay, you know he is going to make you pay. I love you know his ability on the deep ball.
Speaker 4: That to me is what makes him unique where he can make.
Speaker 3: Explosive plays, the tracking, the deep ball, the finishing of plays, that's what really separates me.
Speaker 4: But I love the competitor that he is, honestly.
Speaker 2: But I'm also sure that like having a guy with his level of experience and the competitor is important for this kind of late season push. Yes, like that leadership for the young guys, young receivers, all this stuff. Can you talk about that a little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a really unique core group of guys you talk about like the efficiency of a zach Ertz and like kind of the dog mentality of Noah Brown and Terry and what they can bring. And so there's unique things that they're able to offer their teammates, whether it be a practice skill or communication to the quarterback.
Speaker 4: I will be here.
Speaker 3: I saw it with Zone, this is where I'll be And so having that type of detail is really important. So who better you know to learn from from guys like that that know what excellent can look like And how do I know able to share that with the guys.
Speaker 1: And for a defense that we be going up against a quarterback and Will Levice who can bust out an explosive play. What has been your mindset going against a quarterback like this and what the challenges as he calls for defense.
Speaker 3: He's a strong player and he can extend play with his legs. He can get outside the pocket. In this system, they do have the ability to get outside, you know, to run keepers and play passes that go with it. And so for a player he's got as strong as arm as him, you know, a hard run fake and then being able to deliver the ball down the field to a guy like Calvin Ridley who can stop and start and has explosive plays with him. That's where you know, a quarterback like Levis has had already some very long passes.
Speaker 4: It's off of the run action. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time I saw Patrick Mahomes play it.
Speaker 4: I'm not comparing.
Speaker 2: We'll love a spectry Mahomes, but he has this powerful arm and it has made the field feel so huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you talk about that arm strength and kind of how that changes the dynamic that defensive coach.
Speaker 3: It does because you're never on top enough. Yeah, right, you know there's well, yes, he would still throw at that bag and so those are things that you want to you know, stay alive for or when the second play begins and he scrambles outside the pocket, that he could throw it across the field.
Speaker 4: He could throw it down the field. And so is a very strong arm quarterback.
Speaker 1: And somebody you're very familiar with, Tony Pollard, will be facing him. What challenge is does a running back like that post a defense.
Speaker 3: Tony is really a dual threat running back where he can be in a slot, he could be you know, out of the backfield. So think of Austin in a lot of ways that we've used him out of the backfield in terms of catching the ball and getting extended down the field. One of the things I always admire about Tony was so smooth. He could set up somebody and then aggressively break them off and spin, you know, try to way to break leverage. And so in the open field with space, that's where I always felt in practice, you know, Tony was the most difficult to guard.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean he's a special football player for sure. And I think the other thing that's interesting is watching you know, Bill Callahan's imprint on the offensive line just in terms of the volume of runs that they have. Yes, they got traps, they got way it was pin pools outside zone. How do you kind of make sure you got all the eyes dotted or what is it? Teas crossed the.
Speaker 4: I know exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 3: You're right because Bill's influence is very strong in the one game and so what have you been heard on?
Speaker 4: He's going to try to tack you there first? What do they do best?
Speaker 3: Those are going to be some things to go so for us to make sure that you better have the edges set for runners that have this type of bounce out ability and inside you better do a really good job tackling, you know, to make sure you know if they can hit a gap scheme, you've got to be at the right spot and you've got to make sure you can go and tackle.
Speaker 1: And our defense seems to have improved each and every week. Our defensive coordinator, Joe wit Junior, I don't think we talk enough about him. Can you show him some love a little bit? And what he's been able to do with this defense that has made him so successful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe is a really committed teacher, and I think that's one of the highest compliments that you can give a coach.
Speaker 4: Almost any time you hear the word coach.
Speaker 3: You could probably put the word teacher in if they're really nailing it, because that's such such a big part of what we do.
Speaker 4: And so the specifics of.
Speaker 3: You know, a design of a coverage of what it's supposed to look like pre snap to what it can look like after the snap, to make the quarter back have to decide what it is after he gets the ball in his hands. And so he's detailed, he's accountable, he's thoughtful about, you know, when to do the right things blitz back off play coverage, and so I really like that Joe's hitting his stride and the guys are too.
Speaker 2: And it's also so interesting watching Joe Wood Junior and just defense in general because it's such a reactive yes thing, you know what I mean, and thinking about, hey, this is cover three, but I got to have it fit versus three by one versus four by one versus you talk about that process and how you kind of make sure that you've got all your bases covered, you know, versus something that's so reacting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in my next life, I'm definitely coming back as you made a mistake, there's no question, But you do have to have rules and principles, And there are certain routes with switch releases and certain plays that you just think of the play that Terry had in the game, you know last week, where there's a different combination of a receiver coming out and he can get behind someone else. So those are the nuances that go into different coverages. And so some coverages have weaknesses and strengths, well not some all, and how do you play into those strengths. Okay, that's a tough route against that coverage, but it'd be very good against here. So that's why the disguise is so important.
Speaker 1: Logan, what's talking impact players. Let's start with number sixty three, Tyler Biadis.
Speaker 2: He's got a huge, huge, huge matchup this week because he's got sweat on the interior. Is a huge defensive tackle rookie out of Texas who's playing really good football. And Simmons also ends up in the notes, so probably two of their best defensive players will be in in locking horns with them all day. And then on top of that, he's got the intellectual problem of kind of dealing with a very complicated blit scheme he's gonna have to target that he's shown all season he can handle whoever you put in front of him. You know, going to totoe with Dex Lawrence, these guys will be Keith piece of cake. But also the mental aspect getting those protections targeted. Big, big, big week for.
Speaker 1: Him and one guy that seems to impact the field on every level, Number eleven Jeremy San Yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that they do is such a great job is they run the football at a very really high level, and he's been in terms of stepping up fitting runs and then also covering tight ends. They've got a lot of explosive plays from their tight ends. He's done a great job in those matchups. So big week this week is he's going to be kind of in between coverage, run defense. How do you handle those complicated looks. Can't wait to watch him play football.
Speaker 1: And like your boy friends, Ston says, the big guys of Snow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these guys got a really unique matchup this week, not because of the guys they're playing against, but because of the scheme bo Bill Callahan and the offensive line coach brings a really wide array of different types of runs traps in wams which have hurt these guys this year because they're such penetrators, right, So can they be locked in with the different techniques? Can they find ways again to kind of put themselves in the best positions to be successful versus the traps, the whams, versus the bounces and perimeter runs. You see a lot of defensive tackles making a ton of plays for them so on those types of runs. So, really, these guys need to have a huge game.
Speaker 1: When you're a quarterback like Will Levis, who do not want to see any of these three guys, And when you're a defensive lineman, you definitely do not want to see Tyler Beyond is great and Pact clay is logan command is fany your ticket to a win? Are these must watch masters? Let's get Ryan to it. Tennessee's offensive line versus our dynamic pass rush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think this is gonna be a huge matchup because one thing about Will Levis is he does hold the football quite a bit. And while this offensive line is good, they're very young, they're developing, they do give up a lot of sacks, and I think that coincides with Will Levis. So can we play good coverage in the back end, and can we take advantage of some young players, specifically.
Speaker 4: At the right tackle.
Speaker 2: They've had a lot of different players in their young players, guys not a lot of experience, not a lot of playing experience in the NFL. Can Frankie Luvu Ken Fowler take advantage of that matchup? I think so. And again he's going to give you an opportunity. Unlike Dallas where they're getting the ball out so quick, these guys hold the ball for these deep shot plays. Let's get some sacks and logan.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Will Levis as if you know he's the next one up. Oh my god, Donald Levis is explosive playability versus Joe Witt Junior's mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, Will Levis is all over the place. He's a little bit of like a wild horse. But the one thing he does have is he can throw the football down the field explosively. Right, So when I look at this, I'm saying that presents a really unique problem for Joe Woo Junior and coach talked about it. Right, when you've got a quarterback with a big arm, you got to make sure you're deeper than the deepest you're ready for that second reaction play. I think that's what he's got to kind of earn his money this week. Is they run the ball? Okay, can we put the ball in his hands? And then when we do put in his hands, can we limit that explosive opportunity because that's how they score points?
Speaker 1: And Will Levis ten touchhuns on the season, but nine interceptions and last but not least, defensive coordinator worse Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one I think is really interesting because this guy, Dinard Wilson, does a really good job in terms of these zone pressures that are a little bit confusing. Looks like that all these guys are blitzing and unlike man pressures where you can really identify the coverage at pre snap, they're going to drop in his zones, dropping a cover two, dropping a cover three, dropping a quarters and what is this guy's processing ability like? And he's done a great job of that all year. But I think that's something that we really got to keep an eye on. Is that matchup these kind of unique blitz looks and how this guy handles.
Speaker 1: Them command his family. That is your must watch matchups for today's game. We hope you had an amazing things given for head coach Dan Quinn, Logan Paulsen, and Brian Cole r. This is the game plan. See y'all next Sunday Commander's family. You could catch us every Sunday on WSA nine Sunday mornings before year games. This is game planning with Brian Cope, Junior, Logan Paulson, that coach Dan Quinn until next Sunday Commanders family were out h