Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final.
Speaker 2: Hour in this Thursday Dan and the Dan That's Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. SEC Commissioner Greg Sanke in the on deck circle and Tim Kirchin for the Mothership. It's baseball's opening day or reopening day if you are a Dodger fan since they opened up, and a Cubs fan as well, but Dodgers overwhelming favorites. And my question for Tim Kirchen. Are the Dodgers good for baseball? We know they're good for Los Angeles and they're a hard team to not like because of the personalities that they have Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman and sho hey O Tani and Clayton Kershaw, Dave Roberts one of the nice people in sports. And it's sort of like the Yankees. They were called the Evil Empire, but when George Steinbrenner was there, you could root against George Steinbrenner. I don't know if you rooted against the Yankees the personalities that they had. And I'm talking about the Core, the Core four. You know, if you had Pettitt and Burn, you know, Derrek Jucha. I mean they were a likable group of people, but they people didn't like that they were buying championships. And then all of a sudden, the Red Socks go, oh, well, why don't we try to buy you know, you just everybody's trying to take what's the new model? And how how can we take advantage of that? Well, now the Dodgers have said, we got a lot of money, and we got a pipeline to Japan, and who wouldn't want to play in Los Angeles? Yeah, you think it's a real free pass.
Speaker 3: During that era of the Yankees Evil Empire, and although the spending, the Chicago Cubs had the like second or third highest payroll, sometimes the first highest pay roll in all of those years and did nothing. They were terrible or at least didn't win any rate.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if you look back at the Yankees when they had Jeter and Bernie yeah, Tino Martinez, like, they were really good at drafting players, but the difference was that they kept their players. I mean that's really like if Pittsburgh could keep all their players, of the Reds could keep all their players, then they could build something that's sustainable. It's just they haven't been able to they can't. You know, the Big Red Machine wouldn't have stayed together because they would have gone elsewhere. The Reds couldn't have afforded all of those Hall of famers. But the Yankees drafted, well, we have them, will re sign them, and then you'll sprinkle in a couple other players. And they did it better than anybody for a long period of time. But Tim Kirkchim will join us coming up a little bit later on. All right, so you have basketball tonight, you have Bama. Wallely Zerbiak, who's part of the coverage from March Badness, said, that's the game. He said, that's the BYU is the team you want to watch. Maryland against Florida, Arizona against Duke in Arkansas versus Texas Tech are good. Buddy Russell Wilson junior third. He was introduced yesterday to the New York media and nobody is more positive than Russell Wilson coming here.
Speaker 4: Obviously being in New York, it's an exciting place to play.
Speaker 5: It's a place that wants to win. It's a place that knows how to win and has one before.
Speaker 6: And so for me, it's bringing everything I know, all the experiences, all the touchdowns, all the wins, but.
Speaker 5: Also all the love and passion for the game to this locker room. And that's what I'm really excited for.
Speaker 2: And it's going to be a special, special thing and we got to go go work for it every day and go do it. Who's with me? The Giants are going to win the division. If you've seen the movie, the cartoon, the animated movie up Russell, Russell's a little scout and it's I got balloons on the house. Yes. Yeah, he's always in a good mood. He's always cheering up the old man. That's Russell Wilson. He's always positive. But he's been this way, but he had a mentor who helped him think this way and it did work for a long period of time. But now with the New York Giants, and nobody's more positive out the Giants. Ben Russell Wilson, he's the SEC commissioner. He's Greg sank Back on the show, commissioner. Thanks for joining us. When did the SEC first start to focus its resources maybe on making the Conference of Basketball powerhouse. Was there a moment where you said, why don't we just take the headlines in other months?
Speaker 5: Well, Yeah, I can speak to when it became really raw for me, and it was March of twenty sixteen. That was the end of my first basketball season as the SEC's commissioner, and we had three teams selected to the NCAA Tournament on the men's side that dan. That was the fourth time that had happened in the prior to ten years. So it's not like we had a great trend going. But when you're in the commissioner's share, that moment was pretty raw and we had to do some things differently from our end in the conference office.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what was the plan that you put in place?
Speaker 5: Yeah, A couple of things. One, we had had some consulting relationships where we really weren't talking about the right things. You remember the old RPI, which is now the NET. We would spend in an ordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to gain the RPI in scheduling. We weren't talking about hiring the right people. We weren't talking about facilities, we weren't talking about recruiting. The day after that selection, Sunday, I transitioned away from one advisor and I drought Mike Trangeesi in the next day, and what Mike did is help us talk about the right things. The other bonus with Trengeese and I grew up outside Syracuse, New York, so watch the Big East form was like when Mike said you're good at basketball to the media, you were automatically good at basketball. But one of the things he did was he talked to our ads as they were going through the hiring of coaches, and not tell them to to who to hire, but talk to them about perhaps who not the hire, who may not be ready for the stage that we have. Those kind of conversations became much more relevant. We had some other tweaks we needed to make, but that was a big part of the conversation.
Speaker 2: Did you take the same approach to football at any point where you guys have been successful winning titles, but now with more teams in the playoffs, and is there any a different shift in philosophy?
Speaker 5: You know the reality of this job. And a long time ago I was Southland Conference commissioner. I was like way off Broadway. You never called me for an interview, so I never had the opportunity. I made a decision that every day in that role, you had to think about football. One way or another. And I think the reality of the Southeastern Conference is football is dominant on a daily basis. We have twenty one other sports. But we also have to recognize the conversation allocation, the time allocation, so football is a bit more natural. Do we talk about issues, Absolutely, We're talking about scheduling in the conference, we talk about non conference scheduling, we talk about CFP impacts. That's daily. We had to be a little bit more intentional on the basketball front ten years.
Speaker 2: Ago, are you in favor of more teams qualifying for March Madness?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm in favor of fully exploring that. I think there's advantages to doing so, given there's more Division one members right now, there's one less conference. But what we're doing is excluding from participation some of the top fifty teams. And I think when you look last year at North Carolina State on eleven seed makes it to the Final four, You've had two or three teams playing Dayton that have made it to the Final four or made it into the Elite eight and Sweet sixteen. What that tells me is there's a competitive balance at the high end, and we have to think about providing access.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't just run to expand for the sake of expansion. I've never put a number on it, I think, and I've been clear that it needs to be fully explored. I'm pleased at the NCAA leadership and the committees involved they're doing so.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Greg Sanki, SEC Commissioner. I'm more concerned about transfer portal and nil with college football or college basketball.
Speaker 5: I think both are are relevant. You know, I watched the rhetoric right now, Dan, and I mean, we forget that we've just seen coaches transfer, right We've seen head coaches leave a program last week to go to another program. I've had in my league. I've had it in my league a year ago where a coach leaves Program A and the SEC to go to Program B. That's reality. The commentary about young people doing the same thing needs to be in the context that the adults have that advantage.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: There needs to be an orderly process. So when you watch coaches move, it's a pretty tight time frame. There are anomalies to that, and I think we need to tighten up the time frame. Don't forget, like three or four years ago the transfer portal was opened. Three hundred and sixty five days a year. It's been narrowed, it's been moved back a week. Plenty of opining that we shouldn't have the transfer portal open during the NCAA tournament. I'll give you that, but I also know there's a lot of backroom conversations that take place, and at least right now with the portal open, everything's on the table. If somebody is looking to leave, they go in the portal and it's known and people can deal with that. It makes it busy for sixteen teams, and I'm empathetic there, but we ought to just think contextually about what happens big picture in the game quick the nil front we've got, we're going to see in a week and a half the outcome of a lawsuit settlement, and whether that provides meaningful oversight of third party namemage and likeness activity, it can be a much healthier environment.
Speaker 2: What if we cap the number of transfer portal players that you can bring in or like I'm just trying to everybody you know says we have a problem. I just haven't heard solutions here. How can we make this better for all involved?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've talked about solutions. So I think some of you have to go back. There used to be an NCAA limit on the number of entering team members in a year or over two years. The basketball community really ended up railing against that. Miles Brand was the president, but that came in. We go right back to that and create some continuity. I do think you have to remember that we have had attorneys general in states file lawsuits over transfer policies, even common sense transfer policies. We also have to remember the NCAA has a habit of being asked for waivers and granting waivers, which I think magnifies the problem. So if we came to a point where he said, hey, the rules are the rules, here's the timeframe you can engage in certain behavior, and there are no waivers and there are no lawsuits out of those waves, that'd be idyll it for us. Compared to where we.
Speaker 2: Are now twelve teams in the college football playoffs, when do we go to fourteen?
Speaker 5: We'll see not this season. It's a topic of conversation. My view is it took us a heck of a long time to just get to twelve. I think twelve was a success by all accounts, you saw continuing interest through the playoff. We actually took a deeper dive as a CFT management committee. So that's like Gobbly Goook for the commissioners and the Notre Dame ad Looking at an analysis of viewership throughout the playoff, a lot of positive stories. You would hear this like year over year comparison of a particular game being down that didn't tell the full story. So I think it was the right time to expand. I think it worked well. I think we learned a lot. We've got some work to do before the twenty five season to make some adjustments. I think the bracketing where we had these seeds that got moved into the top four and people lost home games, I'd like to see that change. I think that's immediate. I do think there's some relevance to thinking about expanding the number, whether it stays at twelve or fourteen. I think even sixteen is a relevant conversation in advance of the twenty sixth season. That doesn't mean we just go there, but like that NCAA tournament expansion, we should be looking at what are the impacts and what are the opportunities.
Speaker 2: Give me an alternative to these selection committees.
Speaker 5: Well, we had the old BCS computer or anchorings, remember those days, and everybody said, you know, how can we have computers making these decisions? We need people. And what we have now is how can we let people make these decisions? We need computers. So it's the full on pendulum swing. Maybe there's something in the middle where the combination of a committee and better informed data help support decisions. What I do think is really important from a Southeastern Conference perspective is the number on the left hand side of wins and loss is the most important or the right hand side. And what happened last year and maybe the last couple of years causes, at least among my athletics directors, the question of we need to lose fewer games. That creates thinking about non conference scheduling that kind of dumbs it down. I don't think that's good for the game. I don't think Nebraska canceling the Tennessee series is good for college football. And the citation was that members of the CFP selection committee said, well, it won't hurt you that much for dropping the game. I think that's problematic. I tend to think we should play nine conference games. But to get there, we have to have more clarity on the CFP selection process. So in answer to your direct question, there's likely a balance that can be struck between the human thought process and the analytics. We know that people didn't like just analytics, and now they're trending towards we just don't like humanity as much as we thought we did. So where's the middle ground? Is another one of.
Speaker 2: Those work Would you be in favor of a college Football scheduling zar?
Speaker 5: Some of these outside ideas have said that I'd welcome a conference commissioner having more authority over just deciding conference and non conference schedules. I don't think the culture of college football lends itself to csurs. I probably said to you, like the Russian czar thing didn't work out very well over time, and remember, like the eighties, drugs are and we still have problems. So I don't think just identifying that one mechanism solves the problems. I'd welcome if people said, hey, you go set my conference schedule, picked the number of games in this league and our non conference opponents. I'd pursue that in a different way. But that's not something that resonates within a room of athletics directors and had football coach is quite the same way it does on a zoom with you.
Speaker 2: One other item, and this is off topic with football and basketball, but it does relate to it. Can we can you see where we separate college football college basketball, and then you have these other sports that we don't want to lose. They're not revenue producing but softball and lacrosse and soccer, and and we make them regional so they're not flying. You know, Cal and Stanford aren't flying cross country for wrestling or volleyball. That we make this regional. So you know your budget is not at stake here and you can still keep these smaller uh you know, sports, Olympic sports.
Speaker 5: Maybe I don't know what kind of awards you give for genius decision making, but I think you just gave me a gold star because we are a regional conference.
Speaker 2: And for example last week, well you guys are, yeah, but college sports is not.
Speaker 5: Well, that's because others made different decisions and that after to live with those decisions.
Speaker 2: I'm running college sports to me, So it's why I'm asking you know that that's I'm making you the college football not czar. You're you're running college sports, why don't we let these other sports, smaller sports, non revenue producing, stay regional while football and basketball, if you want them going cross country, great.
Speaker 5: Again, I'm gonna I'm gonna hold the Southeastern Conference up. Was the bright shining example of decision making. And here's a why. I actually think I'm not gonna speak to everybody else. They made their decisions for different reasons, but I've made those decisions. I think you can look at what we've done and say, no, they wouldn't have done the same thing. We had a pack stadium for LSU at Texas last week in baseball packed, we had a pack stadium for Auburn or Texas and softball. I think those build on each other. I think those build on each other. So your question kind of the foundation was take football and basketball. I think if you're going to do something in basketball, you're doing it for men's and women's basketball. We have to acknowledge that. And I'm going to have baseball programs first round draft picks. In baseball. You say, wait a second, I play in front of more people for conference baseball games, and my basketball team plays in front And I'm going to sign an eight figure contract with a signing bonus. That's enormous, right. Why don't I deserve the same treatment as my basketball colleagues, men or women. I think there are distinctions that can be made, but I think some of that has to play out in decision making. So for the Southeastern Conference, I think what we do in football has great meaning and what we do in basketball, and you saw it with our environments in basketball this past year. I think what we do in football and basketball plays out in baseball and softball and meaningful ways. I think people want to be in those environments. If you want to spend your time preparing, learning and competing, not on airplanes, you're going to come and challenge yourself here at the highest levels my recruiting pitch. Others may have to make different decisions because I think you've seen with these coast to coast conferences people opine about, hey, maybe we need a central hub for competition so we're not flying all over the place. I think they're probably all learning from this first year as they go. But I really like the way we've configured ourselves because it meets the exact question that you've asked me on a sport by sport basis.
Speaker 2: He's the former great commissioner from the Southland Conference. He's Greg SANKI great to talk to you again. Enjoy the rest of the tournament. Good to visit with you again.
Speaker 5: I certainly hope I do.
Speaker 2: Thank you Greg. All right, Tim Kirchin, it's a baseball opening day. We'll talk to Timmy coming up here in a little bit. More of your phone calls as well. We'll recap what we heard from the commissioner.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: We're back after this on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 2: Something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: One thing about Greg Zankee before we get to Tim Kirchin, the commissioner of the SEC saying yes, they're going to get to fourteen. I wouldn't be surprised if they go right to sixteen, because he said we might eventually get to sixteen. I wouldn't wait. If you're going to go to fourteen, just go to sixteen. And I think what he wants to do is fix the seating. So a school like Arizona State and Boise state don't get first round byes. That is going to be changed here, probably a lot sooner than people think. Tim Kirchin, of the Mothership and a Hall of Famer, he joins US opening day double dip with the Mothership Brewers, Yankees at three Eastern Tigers and the Dodgers seven Eastern. Joe Buck will be on the call for the game in New York, and you can catch Timmy on Baseball tonight following the Brewers and the Yankees. Let me hit you with a poll question. Are the Dodgers good for baseball?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think they are dan Now.
Speaker 7: The way they do business, as we know is completely legal, and if everyone else had the.
Speaker 4: Same advantages of them, they would do the same thing.
Speaker 7: I think they're great for baseball because wherever they go, they're gonna draw a lot of people. I think every great drama needs a hero and a villain, and to some people, the Dodgers are the villain.
Speaker 4: There's also a chance they will be so good.
Speaker 7: This year that they potentially could make history in some kind and of course be the first team since the potentially Yankees ninety eight through two thousand.
Speaker 4: To win back to back World Series.
Speaker 7: So look, I understand this isn't fair to smaller market teams that they can defer all of this money, and I think it needs to be changed, and it.
Speaker 4: Will be changed, I believe. But to say that they're terrible for baseball, I'm sorry. I'm just not buying it.
Speaker 7: Dan, those two games in Japan were really cool, and the Japanese players are so good, and the rookie Sazaki's going to pitch in the big.
Speaker 4: Leagues this year. I think it's good for baseball.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 2: Was it good for baseball to have Opening Day in Japan? And the reason why I bring this up is couldn't you play two spring training games over there and accomplish the same thing? Did it have to matter to the Japanese baseball fan?
Speaker 4: Look, Dan, I'm older.
Speaker 7: Than you, Okay, I'm sixty eight, and I enjoyed a parade in Cincinnati and that was the first game to lead to the season.
Speaker 4: Still do a parade in Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: But I believe they should all start on the same day we should start in this country.
Speaker 4: However, I'm also a realist.
Speaker 7: This is all about money, Dan, We're growing the game. Those games in Japan were tremendous and the more and more growth that.
Speaker 4: Baseball can get the better it is.
Speaker 7: If you're asking me what would I like, I would like every team to open the same time on April the first in this country. But am I going to argue with what we saw and the Otani show and the Suzaki show.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not arguing how many teams can win the World Series.
Speaker 4: Dan, I'm again in the big minority here. The beauty of this sport is its unpredictable nature.
Speaker 7: I think the Dodgers are the best team, and I think there are six other teams in the NASH, five other teams in the National League, maybe six that have a chance to win the World Series is if, of course, everything goes right.
Speaker 4: I'm not so sure about the American League. I don't see a.
Speaker 7: Great team in the American League, although the Rangers can just mash when everybody is healthy.
Speaker 4: But the beauty of the sport.
Speaker 7: Dan, is that there are so many teams in the American League that are pretty good and not great.
Speaker 4: It's going to be a free for all.
Speaker 7: And there are so many really good teams in the National League that's going to be an equal free for all to see who maybe gets to play, say the Dodgers in the NLCS.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's run down the teams. You got the Phillies and the Braves. Are you in your cluton the Mets in.
Speaker 7: Yes, Now, the Mets have to get their starting pitching healthy. Sean and I has got to be as good as he was down the stretch. So those are three teams I think could win it. From the East.
Speaker 2: Who else?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: The Brewers are.
Speaker 7: A pain in the neck to play Dan they catch it, they're hungry, they're young, they're aggressive, they steal more bases than almost anyone. They are a dangerous team. So I'm going to put them in there. And then in the National League, of course, you have the Dodgers. You have the Diamondbacks, who are vastly underrated, especially with the pitching they have now. And I know the Podres aren't spending much money right now, but they're going to be a nightmare also if everything works there.
Speaker 4: So I think you could find six seven teams that could win the World Series from the National League.
Speaker 2: How much does Otani pitch this season?
Speaker 7: I thought he would be ready sooner than this. I was told in spring training he might be ready on May the first. We don't need him until then because of all the off days in April, they can go to a six man rotation. I'm not sure when he's going to pitch, but I promise you when he does pitch, he's going to be really good. Let's say it's let's say it's mid Let's say it's the All Star break. When he gets back, he's going to be really good because, as you know, Dan, he is a machine in getting his body and everything else ready to play in the big leagues and be like no one we've ever seen.
Speaker 2: But because of that, I don't know how he does in factor into the MVP every year if he's still able to pitch and hit. He's like Travis Hunter at Colorado. He's a two way player that nobody is like that, so he has a decided advantage. It feels like every single season going in, you know, for the MVP, he does.
Speaker 7: Dan, And I'm sorry, I don't like it that way. When I first started voting for these things in nineteen eighty, it depended on whether your team won or not. Chipper Jones won in nineteen ninety nine because he carried his team the last two months into the playoffs. I refuse to believe that we're just gonna give it to Otani before this season starts, even though he's the best player in the game period. But let's say Juan Soto hits three seventy and hits forty homers and carries the Mets into the playoffs. You're telling me that's not an MVP season and is going to get aced out just because the most remarkable player we've ever seen is really good. Again, I'm sorry. I can't look at it that way. I want to watch the season play out.
Speaker 2: Give me the next player to make six hundred, seven hundred million dollars.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure anyone's going there anytime soon, but I think Gunnar Henderson of the Orioles has a chance to get somewhere near there because he's so young, he's so good. He plays a premium defensive position shortstop exceptionally well. Louis Gonzales remember him from the Diamondbacks. He met Gunner Henderson. I was standing right next to him last year and he shook Gunnar Henderson's hand at the batting cage, first time he'd ever met him. Gunner walks away, and Louis looks at me and goes, I think that's the biggest shortstop I've ever seen, and I think he's got the biggest hands of any shortstop I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: That's what we're dealing with here.
Speaker 7: And Dan great high school basketball player, tremendous athlete, He's going to figure everything out, and an absolute dirt dog when it comes to playing the game and playing it properly.
Speaker 4: He would be next on my lips.
Speaker 2: Can we do anything about those elbow things that these guys wear when they go to the plate.
Speaker 7: I think it's a little too late for that, Dan. What we really care about is protecting our players and making sure they don't get hurt. Dan, we have healthy scratches now. I got three hits last night, but he ran an awful lot last night. So one of the people are saying he might be a little tired. We're going to give him the day off. So as long as we're trying to keep our players healthy, I think where they're going to allow ear and arm arm armor and stuff like that. And yet the ironies or the paradoxes, the more we've protected.
Speaker 4: The more it seems they get hurt. It's a little confusing to me.
Speaker 2: And I rail on this, and I have for a while and then nothing can be done about it.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 2: But the White Sox had six pitchers go down and spring training and they all need Tommy John surgery. And you know, this is it's concerning that. You know, maybe maybe it's analytics that God is to this point here, but if you're the commissioner of Baseball and you're watching, I mean, it's it's not a question of if, it's when this happens, and that's a health issue for Major League Baseball. So what do you do about it?
Speaker 4: Well, Dan, you have to go all the way back to the little league. And I know this sounds corny.
Speaker 7: You got to stop the ten twelve year old from throwing off a mound twelve months out of the year.
Speaker 4: That's how guys are getting hurt. Dan.
Speaker 7: You know, when you played baseball as a kid, November fifteenth came around and whatever you were doing at that time, you picked up a basketball. And that's what we should be doing more often. When you play this game, which is so diabolically difficult to play, and you're throwing off a mound twelve months out of the year, no wonder you're gonna get hurt. Plus the industry has demanded that our pitchers throw as hard as they can on every pitch, and when they don't throw a heater, they want them to spin a slider or curveball at the highest rpm ever, and we wonder why they're getting hurt. The reason you were a good high school pitcher is you played other sports that made you a better pitcher when March came around, because you just got back from the basketball season. I am really worried that we are specializing with our young kids. We have to go back to the little league and make those changes otherwise we're going to keep having these Tommy John and other arm injuries.
Speaker 2: What would Pete Rose's stats be, Tony Gwynn stats, Rod Caruz stats, Wade Bong stats if they played in today's game.
Speaker 7: Well, with the shifting a little bit different. I think, first off, they would be great players today, because great players fransend All ears.
Speaker 4: If you're going to.
Speaker 7: Play Rod Grew the way that they play certain guys, he's going to get two bunt hits a game.
Speaker 4: And I'm not making that up.
Speaker 7: George Brett, who's a very humble man, told me a couple of years ago when everyone was shifting all over the place. He said, if I played today at four fifty, he would see where to hit.
Speaker 4: Tony Gwynn was a magician.
Speaker 2: But would they be power hitters because of the analytics though, Tim when they're coming up in the minor leagues, they you know, the emphasiss is on power.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm well aware, and it really bothers me that we would take a player like Wave Bogs, who's hit three twenty eight lifetime walks well over one hundred times because he can hit a hard line drive single to left field better than any left handed hitter I've ever seen, and they would tell him, way, you're unbelievably strong. You need to hit forty homers. That's that's what they would do with him today. And he wouldn't hit three twenty eight. He'd probably hit two eighty eight with thirty five homers. But I would rather watch Wave Bogs hit it to all fields than be just another guy who hits a million homers.
Speaker 2: When was your first opening day?
Speaker 7: My first was in nineteen eighty two. I count that Dan as my first one, even though I did eighty one, but eighty two I was full time beat writer covering the Texas Rangers. And the first three games of the season got snowed out in New York, so we had to open in Cleveland. Seventy four thousand people in Cleveland for opening Day. The next day they had like three thousand people. So it was memorable for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 4: And this is so.
Speaker 7: George Wright was the rookie leadoff guy for the Rangers. He got three hits on opening Day. I went to George, rookie from Oklahoma City. I said, George, did you have a good time today? He goes, yeah, I've never been to a major League game before, so the first game he had ever attended in his life, he got three hits. And I just found out like six months ago that Mickey Rivers, the mischievous center fielder, maked an injury in spring training in order for George Wright to make the team. And that's how George Wright ended up on the roster on opening day because Mickey loved George right, he said, I'll fake an injury and you could play center field out opening day, and then he got three hits in.
Speaker 4: The only game he'd ever attended in his life. That is the beauty of baseball.
Speaker 2: Have fun today. Tim great to catch up with you as always.
Speaker 4: Well, good to see you, Dan, Take care.
Speaker 2: That's Tim Kirchin, ESPN Baseball analyst and a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. You know, you talk to certain guys in certain sports and they are just big cheerleaders for their sports. You know, when you have Tom Verducci on or you have Timmy on, they just they champion baseball. The glass is three quarters full, and I always appreciate that because it's easy to look and find the negatives there because we're always tweaking complaining about something. But Tim, well he might complain, We'll try to find an answer for you as well. We're going to take a break. I believe the back room guys, led by Dylan are going to give us some ballpark franks. Yes I'm not sure I trust them, but they have some ballpark franks coming up here shortly. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Charles Barkley on the show tomorrow, Dylan surprised us with some ballpark franks. He really surprised us with he had an apron on and no shirt on underneath. That stops some people's appetites. But I just said, I'll take a ballpark. Frank tastes good a little mustard on ith. Okay, we don't have a problem when we go to a game and let's say you're in the middle of the row and then all of a sudden, you go, I'll take a hot dog, and then seven people are handling your hot dog as it comes down. Hey, when it comes down to you, we're okay with that. Uh yeah, here you go, Here you go, here go, thank you get a pretzel? Yeah yeah, here you go. Everybody's grimy hands all over. Make sure you go to Dan Patrick dot com. Almost everything is on sale under twenty dollars. Great items there. Stat of the Day has been brought to you by Penninia America. Let's see. So we got games coming up tonight. Oh here was something we talked about this before the show. CD Lamb is going into the NFL rule book. The league made a rule change this week and it targets CD Lamb. He has a signature nose wipe celebration, and if he does it again, it's called a violent gesture. So the exact wording on this celebration is any violent gesture which shall include, but not be limited to, a throat slash, simulating firing, brandishing or gun, or using the nosewipe gesture, or an act that is sexually suggestive or offensive. Now Pro Football Talk notes that the nosewipe is a gang sign associated with the Bloods to indicate someone is untrustworthy. He was saying, that's an untrustworthy first down. He has been using the nosewipe since he was drafted in twenty twenty. Lamb appears ready to adjust accordingly, according to Yahoo Sports, and has indicated on social media he has other celebrations in mind. So the nosewipe gesture that I did not know was somehow affiliated with the Bloods to indicate someone is untrustworthy. Now can I do that? If I point towards Todd?
Speaker 3: What did you learn to say?
Speaker 10: Todd?
Speaker 2: Famously a crip does not appreciate that. No, Todd is trustworthy.
Speaker 9: He is.
Speaker 2: He's very trustworthy. A couple of phone calls in here, we'll do this day in sports history. How about Kenny in La, Hi, Kenny, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 10: You had that interview with the possibility of Cooper Flag going back to do because I think Wallly's your Verac who I love Pooh Poo Da and most of you'll.
Speaker 9: Have and I agree. But going back to my era, Ralph Sampson, of course, was a three time Player of the Year and he was going to go out in eighty two, but the Clippers and Lakers had the coin flip, and rather than going back or going into the draft, he did not want to risk being drafted by the Clippers, and so the Lakers ended up taking Worthy, which worked out real well. But you'll recall me All Star game mass and played with Seasid.
Speaker 10: He was tremendous.
Speaker 2: You sound like Tom Arnold.
Speaker 9: Never heard that one before.
Speaker 2: Yes, you sound like you sound like the actor Tom Arnold. Well, thank you, Kenny, thank you. Uh Jeremy in Texas, Hi, Jeremy.
Speaker 11: Good morning, sir. I just wanted to maybe showcase the brilliance of my hero Nolan Ryan, or maybe just he was just a freak of nature and maybe too late to get a stat of the Day nineteen seventy four for a bad California Angels team. He was twenty two and sixteen two eight nine, era A twenty six complete games, three hundred and thirty two innings, one thousand, three hundred and ninety two batter's face and no Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 8: Now stand a day Stan Today, out Today, out today.
Speaker 4: This is the style.
Speaker 2: Richard in Riverside, Hi, Richard, what's on your mind?
Speaker 4: Morning?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 6: First time, long time? Two hundred pounds five or eleven.
Speaker 8: I have a.
Speaker 6: Suggestion for a specific SoundBite for stat of the day in honor of baseball. I was hoping that you guys should get a hold of Will Ferrell and that he do a rant as Harry Carey for a baseball stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, well, I already have Will Ferrell doing a stat of the day's song, so I don't want to ask too much of it. He does have another job. Just he's always very helpful, and I think he wants to go to Iowa with us. I think he's shooting a movie with Zach Efron. But I did say to him, why don't you think of my career first? And so maybe maybe he'll join us for a day or two in Iowa. Just stay in sports history Pauline, nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 12: Sports Illustrate exposed Pete Rose's gambling activities. In a cover story, they alleged you bet from the dugout during games with a hand gesture to associate in center field. I know you know a lot about this and magic. Johnson nineteen ninety four became head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. He coached the final sixteen games of the ninety three ninety four season.
Speaker 2: On this date, twenty eleven, Lebron, d Wade and Chris Bosh all had thirty ten games, thirty three ten rebounds, thirty ten rebounds, thirty one to twelve rebounds. They and that's the first time in fifty years that that happened at least three teammates with thirty and ten in a non overtime game. I saw where Ryan Clark of the Mothership was mistaken for d Wade on a plane flight. I think, has that happened yesterday?
Speaker 9: Time?
Speaker 5: It's true?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, people gushing all over you, man, I loved you. You were so great, so many great memories.
Speaker 4: We're so happy.
Speaker 5: Wow, follow the NFL live.
Speaker 4: They really know who I am.
Speaker 2: Then all of a sudden, they go, yeah, d Wade, great to meet you. Todd, would you learn today.
Speaker 1: While e zerbiak'says the hardest player you ever had to defend was Paul Pierce and of course Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 2: Seatan, while e Xerbiak had a hell of a collection of coaches in college, Marvin Fritzy is about self care, Paul eating hot dogs, Todd Wood and I learned.
Speaker 1: It's hard to hate the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: We'll call them an evil empire when their players and manager are quite likable. The voice of March Madness, Clark Kellogg, will stop by, as will Charles Barkley. Hope you'll join us as well for a meet Friday. Have a great day, everybody, Enjoy the games.