Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is a live from Coast to Coast with Caroline Hyde in New York and vlave Low in sentences go.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: Broadcom suffers a stock slide after its sales outlook or lack of failed to meet investors lofty expectations.
Speaker 4: Plus, China I is the largest ever state MATCHIP incentives, with as much as seventy billion dollars of state money incident for the pivotal sector.
Speaker 3: And our conversation with White House ais are David Sachs on President Trump's executive order aimed at limiting state level regulation of AI.
Speaker 4: First, and we check on these markets that are dictated by tech, dictated by them, and we say that where we're off by eight tenths one point eight percent, let's look at it and the Nastak one hundred, we are under pressure. We consider not just the macro perspective, and vonn yields move what's happening underneath the surface. I'm looking at the Golden Dragon Index. Look, this is showing what Chinese names trade in the US in terms that eight hors are up to.
Speaker 5: What a dichotomy. We've got going what a juxtaposition, China higher, we'll.
Speaker 4: Get to that news later, US lower, and in large part it's by one key stock.
Speaker 3: You're looking at some breaking news Bloomberg reporting citing sources that Oracle has pushed back some of the completion dates of data centers that's developing with and for open AI. That pushback is to twenty twenty eight from an earlier plan of twenty twenty seven. The market reacted. Look at the right hand side of the squiggly line. It's paired some of that decline, but at one point session low well beyond six percent.
Speaker 2: I think car relating the show.
Speaker 3: We're going to get an opportunity to talk to Brody Ford. You broke that story. Get more of the details. Right now, the top story is Broadcom. It is on track for its biggest decline since January of this year, a seventy three billion dollar backlog AI specific, but what the street wanted was a very different number. During a conference call, CEO Hoc Tan held off giving an annual AI revenue forecast, saying it was quote a moving target.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 6: It's hard for me to pinpoint what twenty six is going to look like precisely. So I'd rather not give you guys any guys, and that's why we don't give you guys, but we do give it for two one.
Speaker 3: Carle Ackerman, Managing director of semi Conductors and Networking Hardware at BNP Pariber joins us for more is new price target four hundred and seventy five dollars, among the highest now for analysts covering the stock. So that's the point. You have different sets of data. They gave us a figure which was a seventy three billion dollar backlog this morning. Quite clearly the market would like to see a revenue number that's forward looking.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 7: So so you're right, I think the I think what's interesting here the reason why brad Armer is down is not about out the It's not about how revenue has perhaps missed expectations. First and forem with some of the company actually beaten raised guidance AI sales or above expectations. The outlook for next quarter of eight point two billion farc City consensus of six point eight billion of AI sales, which doubled on ear of your basis. When queried, the company indicated that how Co indicated that revenue could perhaps accelerate into fiscal twenty six versus that one hundred percent accelerated growth number. We have over fifty billion of AI sales in fiscal twenty five. I think the reason why the stock is down ed, however, is in part because there are some investors a bit worried about the margin structure of the Entropic deal. So of that seventy three billion in AI sales, twenty one billion will go to an Entropic as part of a TPU system sale, and that TPU system sale is going to be lower margin than what brought Com generates content.
Speaker 3: How much of the content of a server do you own beyond just the chair?
Speaker 2: But you like this name right?
Speaker 3: Like you've just rate the price target to full seventy five from three to eighty five, that right map, Well, what is it you like about?
Speaker 2: Brokem sure?
Speaker 7: I mean Broadcom I think is in a llegue of its own, akin to in video. Really where Nvidia and Broadcom dominate two of the three main buckets of AI infrastructure spending. Those include compute, memory, and networking. They of course control two of them, networking and compute more than anyone else, And I think, what's what is happening here? What the what the investment community I think is overlooking today on this on the selloff is the fact that Broadcom is moving toward a full solution stack akin to what in Video is doing on I'm providing AI compute and AI networking as we move to scale up domain where you're going to need optical for both the for the both the networking A six and the and the compute. And they offer that entire IP stack in house. And that is what I think people are over miss missing today.
Speaker 5: You're calling it short sighted, Karl.
Speaker 4: I know you don't cover in Video as a name, but does broadcom success come at the expense of others in the market?
Speaker 7: Thanks Carolyn, It's a good question, you know, I think I think it's in a vacuum. You know, we try and pigeonhole broad conferences in Vidia or broad conferences AMD or GPUs versus customer accelerators. I think what we found out is that it is not a it is not a winner take Hall, It is not a singular approach. What you're seeing is that hyper scales are adopting custom compute as well as GPUs for frontier model training, and that will continue to progress as we move toward inferencing, So it's not so clear sighted there. I think what's important here is that Broadcom offers the full solution stack across networking and compute, and similar to Nvidia, those are about the only two companies in all of tech, including Semis, that offer that capability.
Speaker 4: Of course, hocktans very much aligned in terms of his own pay package with hitting certain revenue numbers for AI in particular. But from your perspective, is there a supply side headache going on.
Speaker 5: At the moment.
Speaker 4: We're hearing reports that Dell, for example, is having to jack up pricing because of the pricing that it's feeding on memory were Broadly, we're seeing the breaking news that Oracle's having to delay some of its data centers. There is a tussle for the infrastructure that's necessary right now, and is that just not going to happen in the overnight way that the market is anticipating.
Speaker 7: Great question, Carolyn, I think what's interesting to hear is I would like to tie in this idea that are we in a bubble of AI infrastructure?
Speaker 2: I think that's no. The answer is definitive. No, I think.
Speaker 7: Gigawatt capacity and announcements take time to ramp that ramp in that qualification and filling up that fab is now extending the visibility across the entire supply chain, whether it's hard drives, whether it's memory, whether it's networking, whether it's compute, and that is giving companies like Broadcom, companies like Nvidia, companies like everyone across the supply chain.
Speaker 2: Very long visibility.
Speaker 7: And right now things are very tight, and so some of the areas that are the most tight in our AI ecosystem coverage include lasers for optical transceiver components. There are ways to ameliorate those that tightness among the supply chain, and Hawk and Broadcom announced how they have the sufficient capacity for their chips to meet the demand that they see in fiscal twenty six and in fiscal twenty seven.
Speaker 5: Who doesn't love talking lasers.
Speaker 4: Kyle Ackerman of BNP paraba, it's been great getting your take. As we do see stocks fallswe the NASDAK more broadly now under pressure is some two percent pop. The discussion that's happening between the US and China, because look, chip markets are in the eye of the storm. They're China planning to pour up to seventy billion dollars of state money into the sector, dem pivotal to its technological conflict with the United States. Bloomberg's Maggie Eastland joins US now, and seventy billion dollars would be an extraordinary amount of government support that we've ever seen worldwide.
Speaker 5: Right, Yes, this is a huge number.
Speaker 8: This would be you know, China's biggest semiconductor specific packaging. And according to Bloomberg reporting, that number could be anywhere between as you said, seventy billion, and it could go down to twenty eight billion, So it depends.
Speaker 5: Here we'll see how large it is.
Speaker 8: That compares to the US effort at industrial policy for semiconductors, which is fifty two billion dollars.
Speaker 5: So this is a.
Speaker 8: Similar scale to what the US has undertaken in recent years.
Speaker 3: Maggie, there are some questions to which we just don't have answers, and that largely relates to what China specifically will do with the funds and where they'll go. But within that Bloomberg reporting, where do we think China is going to prioritize using the funding to you know, which champions is it going to elevate.
Speaker 8: Yes, So of course China is always really looking to support it's AI chip makers that compete with in Vidia, so that includes companies like Huawei and Camber kN But there are other chip companies including SMIC or Smith which does the manufacturing, so that would be the corollary to TSMC. So there's a range of companies that could see this investment. But China will face headwinds because it still has restrictions on many of the equipment technologies and the foundries that can't access TSMC.
Speaker 5: For those advanced node chips.
Speaker 4: You have many worrying about just what yields are like from an SMIC from a SMICK when they're actually producing these homegrown, domestically made chips. But I'm looking at video under pressure again today, Maggie. Well, broadly, are we getting any sense whether this is meaning that China will say no thank you to the H two hundreds in the same way that they did the H twenties.
Speaker 8: As you know, China has certainly never been shy about saying no to US technology when they have their own local champions. But what I will say is we don't know the exact number of AGE two hundreds China will accept if any What we do know is they're clearly not backing down on their commitment to their own chip supply chain, and they're not going to readily give way to this US strategy of selling advanced DAIDE chips in order to undermine their local competitors. So we'll have to wait and see what happens on h two hundreds.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Maggie Eastland, who's been across China's chip efforts all week long, thank you very much. Coming up, we're going to get more on that breaking news report from Bloomberg about Oracle delaying open AI specific data center project by one year back to twenty twenty eight. It had an impact on the markets, and as that one hundred is now two percent actually Caroen as of Thursday night, the state of play was the NAS that one hundred was flat for the week, so we are now down two percent on the NAS that one hundred or weekly basis. Of course, the reaction to Broadcom and some other AI angst is part of what's weighing on this market, and we're going to go a lot more on that very very soon.
Speaker 2: Stay with us.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech okay shares Oracle down almost five percent. They'd hit session loads of six point five percent decline after Bloomberg's Brodi Ford broke the story that the firm will be delaying data centers for open AI to twenty twenty eight instead of a previously planned twenty twenty seven. The reason labor and material shortages. Bluemo's Brody Ford runs to set and joins us. Now important reporting for you because this is what a part of Oracle's debate is. Okay, great, you have a great backlog of business, but we are very closely monitoring the ability to execute on it and then book revenue on it. And open AI is a big chunk of the exposure fill the banks for us. More reporting, What are the details have you got?
Speaker 9: These are unprecedented scale data centers, right, I mean, giggle watse scale data centers unprecedented, and Oracles trying to do effectively five and them at once. And so what we have today is that the initial completion dates, the initial full delivery dates have been pushed backed in some cases from twenty seven to twenty eight. And you know, I think if you've spoken with data center folks over the last couple of months. It's not a huge shocker because I mean, these are such crazy projects, right, and the idea of getting them done in two years was always going to be ambitious. So now getting them done by twenty eight it's still a tight timeline. It's still, frankly an impressive turnaround, but it's maybe just not as quick as the company had initially hoped.
Speaker 4: We're looking at Abelaine, Texas right now, where on the conference call doing earnings we had the co CEO one of them saying that they had more than ninety six thousand in video chips delivered, giving you the sense of scale. But is it a hindrance to what the revenue is ultimately for Oracle here or is it just investors having to be like, oh, it's still jammed tomorrow, not today.
Speaker 9: Right, I mean, Oracle, I'm sure will say that as you put they deliver these sites in chunks, right, And so Abilene is already being turned on this massive data center.
Speaker 2: In West Texas.
Speaker 9: Once you get the servers running open, AI uses them, that's revenue recognition, yeah, right, And so really what we're thinking about is the further out sites beyond Abilene.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 9: We keep seeing these Stargate announcements for Michigan and New Mexico. Right, these sites which are still being kind of put together, and Oracle and other vendors too are finding that, Wow, there's a lot of stuff out there that's backlogged.
Speaker 5: NAMA for one of them.
Speaker 9: There's only so many electricians, right, I mean, you want to build in rural Texas, it's a smaller pool of people you have access to.
Speaker 5: It's a fascinating story. It's going to run and run.
Speaker 4: Blomberg's Brodie Ford with a real market moving bit of reporting that. Let's talk more about the market implications. We've got Margie Battel with us. You put any manager and headed capital allocation of all Spring Global investments to have six hundred twenty nine billion dollars an assets and advisement, and Margie, you worried these drip drip bits of information that maybe the revenue streams.
Speaker 5: Aren't able to be booked tomorrow.
Speaker 4: It has to be waited out a little bit more in terms of the returns on AI investment.
Speaker 11: No, I think the long term trends are still in place. I actually thought that Broadcom's numbers were quite good and people were just I think very nervous at the end of the year, particularly with some bad news we've seen, such as from Oracle, and I think it's really more just end of your jitters rather than anything fundamental. I think when you look out into twenty twenty six, you still have to like the tech sector, especially the semi the memory those companies. I think you still have to stick with them, that there are to continue to be high growers, and these little hiccups we have here and there don't change the fundamental trend of very very strong growth in a year, which would be very much lot of growth next year. So we still like the whole sector.
Speaker 4: So Maggie, on a day where BRAUN comes up by eleven percent when the nasdak's off by two percent, is that hacup a buying opportunity?
Speaker 11: Well, I think it is actually because if you look at the leading stocks that have stuck to their plan, that have great growth, great profit margins, great innovation, and they're down ten to fifteen, even twenty percent from their peaks of a few months ago. So I think that looks like a pretty attractive time to add to these names. Because there's end of your uncertainty, a lot of short term traders who preserve their games cash out, And I think that's what you're seeing, is this pressure on the sector rather than the change in the fundamentals the cash flow.
Speaker 5: The big companies are so.
Speaker 11: Large, this isn't going to be derailed anytime soon. So I think next year looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: Sailing too, Margie, It's good to see you.
Speaker 3: It sounds like at your end you don't personally have many jitters. One of the best read stories on the Bloomberg Ternal today is about the debt and the lens that is behind the build out in that infrastructure, where the debt does debt as a factor in consideration sit for you when you are tracking all sorts of different hard and soft data sets to work out what's going on here.
Speaker 11: Well, I look at the debt as really a company's choice of how they want to allocate capital. Do they want to borrow, do they want to increase the dividend, do they want to do share buybacks? And particularly the large successful companies really have no need to borrow. Even paying for the CAPPAC, they still have plenty of excess cash flow that they have to decide how to utilize. Whereas I think Oracle has really taken on a lot of debt compared to their cash flow, But the rest I think all look pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's a vital.
Speaker 11: Sector and that's why the returns are higher, because you have to be prepared for these little down drafts in order to get the upside.
Speaker 3: Maggie Brodie's report and Oracle was very specific that Oracles delaying those projects by a year because of labor and material shortages elsewhere in the US economy. We have all the chips we need, clearly, are we good at the other stuff? And is the other stuff where it needs to be to support this build out?
Speaker 11: Yes, I think it is. I think when you have this explosion in demand of these very complex centers, I think you should expect there will be short term problems of supply and so forth. But really that's a good problem to have rather than lack of demand or pricing pressure. And we're really seeing very strong pricing for the summaris that are going into the data centers, so we think it's just nothing to worry about, and the fundamentals are still very strong.
Speaker 4: Briefly though, there's reports today from other outlets saying that Dell's going to have to Jack of its prices because of pricing and strength and memory. Are there areas of this AI trade that are overvalued that you shouldn't be piling into From a margin perspective.
Speaker 11: Well, I think when you look at check it's like any other sector. Is the best companies usually trade rather richly. The cheap companies usually have problems. They don't have the leading edge, they don't have the innovation. And when you look at chech it's just and you can see even here with the data centers and concern about what approach that companies are using Broadcom or nvideo whatever in the new products. It's really about innovation and who are the leading innovators, and so the companies that don't have that innovation are just going to fall behind. So I think this year up till say the summer, everything moved up and now we're seeing a separation between the companies that have leading edge and the companies that are really falling behind and aren't going to catch up. So I think it'll be much more stock selection next year than we've had for the first part of this year.
Speaker 3: With a message that in tech there's nothing to worry about. Margie Patel from all Spring Global Investments. Great to have you back on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Now coming up, we're going to bring you Bloomberg's exclusive conversation with Uber's CEO and the company's international ambitions, particular focus on Asia.
Speaker 2: Next this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 5: Ouba si Jari Koswa.
Speaker 4: Shahi says the company expects to offer robotaxi services in more than ten markets by the end of next year.
Speaker 5: He spoke with Bloomberg Tech Asia's Annabel.
Speaker 4: Druders about why he's optimistic, in particular about growth potentially in.
Speaker 12: Asia, the APAC market and in particular the North Asia markets as well. They are huge growth markets for us, and if you look, for example, in the ride share business, over thirty percent of our global first trips coming into the category come from the Apac region. The area is growing very quickly, including taxi as well, which is actually one of our newest products on the platform. So for me coming here, seeing the teams, meeting with local business people and regulators and talking about how we can be part of the future growth of the region is really what my agenda is.
Speaker 13: Early this year, you also put out a statement on the robot taxi push as well, and so the Middle East and Asia were the markets for twenty twenty five to launch, and we've seen of course that initial deployment in the Middle East already. What's happening on the Asia side, well, lots.
Speaker 12: Of discussions on the Asia side. I think what's really important is to set up a regulatory framework to go forward. For example, Hong Kong has various trials and pilots going on, and in many other markets we're talking to regulators about how we can be a part of shaping right share and autonomous right shair going forward. The technology is absolutely getting there. These are the robot driver. It doesn't get tired, doesn't get distracted, and we very much look forward to working with various authorities to introduce right shair into the markets we're now live in for markets now as we speak in the US and in the Middle East to be in ten plus markets by next year, and we want those markets to be in the Asia Pacific region as well.
Speaker 13: Where then in Asia do you think is the most likely place.
Speaker 12: We'll see I think that certainly Japan has great potential, you know, with.
Speaker 5: They behind on their regulation.
Speaker 12: They are behind in their regulation, but I think that they also understand that with an aging population. There's a real need for transportation, not just in the large cities, but in.
Speaker 2: The rural areas.
Speaker 12: And for example, I experienced that personally going to Kaga City and where we have communal ride share and kind of took a ride share trip and understood what the needs are there. So we're talking with various countries regulatory authorities. I think Japan is going to be part of it. I certainly hope that Hong Kong is going to be a part of it. Australia, where we were just talking about, is a huge market for us. So we're having those dialogues and I think that the picture will shape up over the next two years because the technology is definitely getting there.
Speaker 3: Uber CEO Dara Kostrashahi there along with our animl drawers and aw sticking with Uber. The company, along with door Dash, is suing New York City to block requirements that the delivery tipping option be available at the time of checkout and set to at least ten percent. The two companies argue this would worsen sticker shock for inflation weary consumers.
Speaker 2: New tipping laws.
Speaker 3: Are set to become effective January twenty sixth carrot.
Speaker 5: I want to watch it.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, coming up, you're reporting to watch how Rivian is replacing invideos tech in future vehicles with its own chips. From New York, From San Francisco, this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Rivian take a look at its shares up currently sixteen percent at one point in the session, up more than nineteen percent, trading at its highest level since January of twenty twenty four, so its highest level in two years. Yesterday it fell quite a lot after it told investors and the world its plans for autonomous driving. Rivian's plan for autonomous driving is based on two big technology bets, and we went to see them. Rivian's developed its own artificial intelligence chip for its future cars that gamble might pave the way to fully autonomous driving. A lot of the tech world imagines a future where we don't own cars at all. We're talking about fleets of robotaxis that are summoned through an app, maybe no steering wheel or driver controls at all. But Rivian's in the camp that does see people owning their own cars in the future and being willing to pay top dollar for a software platform that allows the car to drive itself. If this idea seems familiar, Tesla has been selling a version of it for years.
Speaker 2: Full self driving supervised is not.
Speaker 3: Technically full autonomy if you read the fine print, but it can get you from point A to point B without needing to put.
Speaker 2: Your hands on the steering wheel.
Speaker 3: Rivian's path to autonomy is rooted in two big bets. The first a custom AI chip developed in house, which marks a big break from Nvidia.
Speaker 14: This is a wrap one chip, it's a multitip module. In the middle is a Rivian design custom silicon surrounded by memory on two sides. The decision to build an in house was based on a very rigorous analysis of the benefits we could come and those benefits are velocity or ability to get to market, break quickly with it, performance and cost.
Speaker 3: The second a major change in how Rivian vehicles see the world. The next generation Rivian R two will have indented lidar sensors in it.
Speaker 14: It's not just about the computer, it's also about the sensors and it's about how they all come together.
Speaker 15: This is really in mark one what the Gen three architecture does with compute levels that are dramatically expanded, such as to put some numbers to this at the platform level, sixteen hundred sparse tops where you can process five billion pixels per second, beautifully integreated lightar that raises the ceiling to allow us to take your eyes off the road.
Speaker 2: This will cause some debate.
Speaker 3: Tesla vehicles only use cameras as sensors for their systems, and what Elon Musk company has always argued is that other sensors like lidar or radar are too expensive to scale. Until now, Rivian didn't really have an autonomous system. It had advanced driver assistance tools powered by cameras and radar, and Rivian used Nvidia chips as the brain in the vehicle to interpret the world around it. Rivian says it's new AI model will keep improving those older cars too, eventually adding capabilities like hands off point to point driving. Rivian doing its own chip and ditching in Nvidia is a surprise.
Speaker 15: On the Rivian processor side. This represents a significant cost savings to us. There is a lot of margin, of course in the in the semiconductor space, and working directly with PSMC, we have a great relationship with them.
Speaker 3: The new hardware is the unlock. It should allow Rivian to go from that driver assistance software in its existing lineup to true autonomy in the next gen R two.
Speaker 15: And the next big step is personal level for it. And what I mean is the vehicle can operate empty, it can operate without anyone in the driver's seat. It can pick your kids up from school, it can drop you at the airport. It's a complete shift in how we think about the vehicle experience.
Speaker 3: Looking back, this was the company that pulled off the sixth largest IPO in US history, and it was first to market with full size battery electric pickups and sau beating out Tesla, Forward and General Motors. But today Rivian struggling with the basics. Production of its evs hasn't really scaled. Rivian Soul plant in Illinois is capable of building two hundred and fifty thousand units a year, but in twenty twenty five it probably won't hit fifty thousand. The truest representation of that struggle, the stock is at a fraction of its peak.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 3: In the world of tech, you have to have something to say about AI, and Rivian is diving deep into autonomy to appease its investors, an ai chiplidar and a large driving model right now. It's a promise from Rivian that their next generation vehicles will have genuine autonomous capabilities.
Speaker 4: Extraordin and reporting deep dive and Rivian, as you said, ed doing very well on the day, unlike the rest of the markets. Just check in what's happening to the Nasdak. We're down on the week, We were down on the day and as at one hundred, off by more than two percent andach points tech in the line of fire today even dragging Chinese names now into the red. They started the trade and our show in the green as we understood that the Chinese government was going to be going all in on funding its own domestic chips apply up to seventy billion dollars worth of government incentives, is the reporting coming out of Bloomberg News at the moment. But even China starts to dip at the moment. We see Broadcom in the video in the red, Pallanteer, Amazon, Micron, some key names currently on the downside as we have that AI bubble anxiety all over again.
Speaker 3: Right coming up, actually, Caro, we're going to talk about the United Kingdom. We're going to be joined by British Business Bank CEO Lewis Taylor for his take on the UK's tech sector. He's in town in San Francisco and Silicon Valley to think about how technology might work across the Atlantic.
Speaker 2: That's next, This is Sploomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: The UK economy is at risk of its first coarsely contraction since labor returned to power after growth, disappointed again by shrinking ahead of Chancellor of the Exchequer Rachel Reeves's tax raising budget. Can the UK tech sector come to the rescue? Louis Taylor, CEO of the British Business Bank, joins us now and it's great to have you in town in San Francisco.
Speaker 16: Really great to be here, ed, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Indeed, you have an annual budget essentially to invest in and lend to and support the technology industry in the United Kingdom.
Speaker 2: Why are you in San Francisco?
Speaker 11: Then?
Speaker 2: What brings you in San Francisco?
Speaker 16: Well, look, we're here pitching to us VC's a really great new growth opportunity for them, which is based on three things. Firstly, as you say, the quality of the UK tech industry for the top ten universities globally producing great research with some really excellent entrepreneurs and the ability to scale businesses as well. So that's where they come in. Secondly, a new pool of capital coming on stream domestically in the UK from pension funds hopefully. And then thirdly the opportunity to partner with the bank, which is the biggest LP in UK venture and growth equity connected and knowing the landscape pretty well.
Speaker 5: Luis the landscape we know so well? Is fintech?
Speaker 4: I think of Revolute, I think a Monso the standouts. But where else is really thriving? Where else should VC come in as port in the UK?
Speaker 16: Well, look, I think you're absolutely right. Fintech is very strong. And just today Go Cardless did a deal with Molly and that a unicorn that we invested in twelve years ago. So you need a bit of patience on this. So fintech's very strong. AI in different places is very strong. Not so much on the hardware side, not so much on the larger language models, but more broadly, if I think about companies like Synthesia or eleven Labs, all of those companies coming out of the UK, So I think those tech areas are great, but also the application of AI into life sciences is incredibly strong as well, and the UK has an incredibly strong life sciences industry. So I think we see AI as being a theme across the sectors of the industrial strategy the government announced and the UK being strong in those.
Speaker 3: To be fair, many of those companies you name, you know, they come on this program regularly, you know, and they are making advancements in their respective fields.
Speaker 2: We want to go back to what you.
Speaker 3: Said, the big pot of pool of money coming online a little bit more. Please, Yeah, how big? How certain is it? And that's important right because the lesson of AI in this country at least is the capital requirements are much bigger.
Speaker 2: Much bigger.
Speaker 16: So the UK we incubate companies incredibly well, we scale them less well, and we haven't had the scale up capital we need. It's not that we don't have the money, because we have the second largest funded pension scheme in the world at around four trillion pounds, but we have an allocation issue with that pension money, which is changing the government encouraging pension funds to invest more in the domestic economy and in the growth economy. I think what we're looking for is some of the expertise here in the VC industry in the US about scaling those companies. As I say, we incubate well, but it's that scaling stage and the expertise needed there where. Of course you need capital, but you need other things as well, network's capabilities and many other things. Mentoring of leadership teams.
Speaker 4: Luis what is the state of brain drain when you actually do get a really successful company. Now, eleven labs are staying there since these years as well, but many up and even come to Silicon Valley or to the US.
Speaker 5: Is that something that's still happening.
Speaker 16: Well, look, I think it does happen to an extent. I think we really want to try and address that and try and stop it and actually capture some more of the value in the UK economy. As I say this is the companies have largely come over here because is where the capital is. If you've got a new capital stream with some expertise based on it in the UK, we're going to hope to retain those companies in the UK longer. And actually the innovation ecosystem I think is quite self perpetuating success breed success. We've got a lot of the right things in place, but it's just this top end that we need to to really make sure that we realize more potential and keep the flywheel going.
Speaker 3: So your strategy here, and one of the reasons you're in town, is to go to the American VCS, the Value v season say.
Speaker 2: Give us your capital, come to the UK. We have something to offer.
Speaker 3: But that strategy then carries risks with what you're just talking with Carolina about.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 16: Yeah, we're not quite saying that, we're saying, bring us your expertise, will help you raise capital locally.
Speaker 2: This is a growth opportunity for capital locally. That's a key, absolute distinction.
Speaker 16: Absolutely, and the connections that we have with all the gps LPs but also the pension funds. I mean, we actually are raising our own fund at the moment for a co invest fund in the UK from UK pension funds and we'll do the first close end of January early February. And this is a thing, it's.
Speaker 2: A real thing.
Speaker 4: It's a real thing, and we'll let you go out and have real conversations with those vcs and the Value the Louis Taylor, thanks for stopping by. CEO the British Business Bank. Coming up, White House AI and Cryptos are David Sachs joins us to talk about the President trump executive Order on a regulation.
Speaker 5: This is ring back Tap.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our global radio and TV audiences. President Trump signed an executive order aimed at limiting state level regulation of AI. The move is supported by tech leaders who have argued local rules could stifle innovation. We're joined by David Sachs, the White House AI and Crypto ZA or Senior Advisor, David. I think it's a really good place to start in your work with the President in consulting and advising on the formulation of this executive order.
Speaker 2: What was the.
Speaker 3: Problem that you were trying to solve for and what is it that you said to the President about why this EO was the right approach to focus on state level laws?
Speaker 10: Well, thanks for having The problem that we see is that you've got one thousand different bills going through state legislatures right now to regulate AI, and over one hundred measures already passed. Some of these bills are contradictory, and you've got fifty different states running in fifty different directions.
Speaker 2: That type of compliance.
Speaker 10: Regime is going to be very hard for small companies and startups, especially innovators to comply with. And so what we need is a single federal or national framework for AI regulation. And that's what the President has supported, and by the way, he supported this for a long time. If you go back to his July speech on AI, he called for a single national framework then. And what we've done with THISEO now is to make clear that that is the administration's policy and to task members of the administration to work with Congress to try and enact that framework through legislation, because ultimately this needs to be a law, and in the meantime create tools that the administration can use to push back on examples of the most onerous and excessive state regulations.
Speaker 3: David, there is of course some pushback you know, on the executive order from the states themselves, from other Republicans you know, as you know, like I studied the July speech and strategy closely, a big part of it, you know, was infrastructure related and about deregulation. The concern about this latest executive order is that while it addresses your concerns about many different pieces of state regulation, it does not provide for a single federal framework.
Speaker 10: Well, at the end of the day, that single federal framework has be enacted through law, and we need Congress to do that. And so the President has asked Congress to do that, and these tasked members the administration to work with Congress to produce that framework. In the meantime. What we've done here is articulated set of principles. We said what values are important to us. We said that we want to protect child safety, that's important. We want to respect copyright, we want to preserve the ability of local community is to choose what infrastructures and their communities. We're not seeking to preempt the states in any of those areas. So this is an important set of principles that we have put forth. And at the same time, the EO provides for a number of tools that can be used to push back on excessive state regulation. And let me just illustrate why I think this is so necessary. What we're really talking about here is regulation of AI models and algorithms. Well, think about how an AI model is developed. You can have developers in one state of multiple states writing the code. It can then be trained in a data center in another state. You then can have inference happen in another state, and the entire service is provided over the Internet using national telecommunications infrastructure. So you're dealing there with at least four different states, and all of them can lay claim to regulating those AI models, and those regulations can be in contradiction with each other. Even Democrat governors have admitted this as a problem. Just the other day, Kathy Hockle, the governor of New York It, basically said that she might prefer to enact California's SB fifty three, which is a regulation that they just passed in California, rather than the bill that her own assembly gave her the raise act, because she sees that, wait, do we really want to create this patchwork in different regulations. So even Democrat governors are realizing this is a problem, and if they all run in different directions, then we're going to end up with a patchwork or a misshmash of regulations that are impossible for companies to comply with. What the President is calling for here is just common sense. We want to get to a single national framework of compliance as opposed to fifty states running in different directions.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Kathy Hokle actually is getting a bit of criticism perhaps for narrowing and what some are saying is bowing.
Speaker 5: Down to business. David, I'm really interested in.
Speaker 4: How you oppose that view, because there is anxiety in the population AI versus jobs, AI versus energy bills. How are you giving them the sense that we haven't seen federal government and India now state government's just handing over the reins to big tech billionaires as people call them.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 10: No, I understand there's a lot of fear out there about AI and job loss specifically, and a lot of those fears have been drummed up. Let me just say on the job loss question, because I think this is really important that Yale just released a study and it showed that in the thirty three months after the launch of chat GPT, there was no discernible disruption to the US job market none. They said, no discernible disruption. And in fact, if you look right now, more jobs are being created than being lost. So this whole idea of job losses just isn't true. There was an article on the Wall Street Journal just last week talking about the construction boom that's happening that's benefiting construction workers like electricians like plumbers like workers who pour concrete or hang drywall. Their wages are up thirty percent because this infrastructure boom that's happening right now, and there's actually a job shortage in many of those trades, meaning we need more workers going into those trades. So what we're seeing right now is an overall AI boom that's benefiting the economy. You know, the the GDP growth rate was tracking about four percent, and half of that up to half of it's been attributed to AI. So I just think that this narrative about job loss has been blown out of proportion. Certainly there could be job displacement in the future, but we haven't seen any of that so far. It's been quite the opposite. It has been job gains.
Speaker 3: David Final one on the EO, If I may, you know what this EO allows for. Is it the sort of hope that it will lead to the DOJ sewing states like New York and California. And if that's the case, you know, the President and the administration's confidence that you'd win them.
Speaker 10: Well, that is one of the tools that is in the EO is that the DOJ has been tasked to form a litigation task force that would have the ability to push back on excessively burn some state laws, laws that may be unconstitutional, violate the First Amendment, things like that. By the way, the DOJ already had that power, So this is a novel power. But what's being done here in the CEO is we're marshaling all the resources of the federal government behind the strategy of the President to create a national framework. Now, in terms of what laws we go after, that's a decision that has been made. We haven't decided whether California and New York should be targets in that way. The one that I think is probably the most excessive is this Colorado law that seeks to prohibit algorithmic discrimination. What that basically says is that if an AI model has a disparate impact on a protected group, then that model is violating the law. Model developers, by the way, I have no idea how to comply with this because they're not aware of all the downstream uses of their model. I mean, if a business decides to use an AI model in a hiring decision, for example, that business is already on the hook for discrimination. So how would the model developer know that it was being used in that way. But what Colorado was trying to do there is get their ideology inserted into the model. That's very concerning to us. We think there's a First Amendment issue there, but look, we haven't made any decisions in terms of how that litigation task for US to be used.
Speaker 4: David Briefly, all of this is set in the context of US versus China and a deemed to run forward on AI development. Meanwhile, it's been a busy week and H two hundreds might indeed be able to get to China. How many do you think you'll do in volumes and what do you think the appetite is of China to buy in videos more sophisticated chips.
Speaker 10: Well, it's interesting. I just saw an article that said that China was rejecting the H two hundreds, So apparently they don't want them, and I think the reason for that is they want semiconductor independence the same way that the United States wanted to be energy independent. They want to be semiconductor independent, So they're rejecting our chips, and that's part of the calculation that goes into the decision of what we authorized to be sold to China. The US policy has always been that we don't allow the leading edged chips, and we're not. This is this H two hundred chip. It was state of the art a couple of years ago, but now it's been superseded by the new or Blackwell architecture and the Ruben architecture that's coming out next year. So this is now a lagging chip, not a leading chip. But what you see is not taking them because they want to prop up and subsidize Hahwei. They want to create a national champion, and that was part of our calculation of selling not the best but lagging chips to China's. You can take market share away from Huawei, but I think the Chinese government's figured that out and that's why they're not allowing them.
Speaker 4: David Sachs, we always wish we had more time White House, AI and cryptos Are. We thank you for joining us today on the executive order and indeed on in videos H two hundreds. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. The market is in sell off motored as we wrap up this week. We're down by more than two percent on the NASDAC more broadly and indeed for the week, but really all eyes on well Broadcom.
Speaker 5: And its numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Broadcom in the earnings context investors, what is more But Bloomberg reporting on Oracle is what moved the needle, believe it or not. This is my last show of twenty twenty five. An astonishing year and a lot of the themes in today's show what we've been talking about all year long. Recap on the podcast. You can find it on the terminal and online. You know where to Caro. I'll see you in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: Have a great break. Mmmmmm