Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Hey, it's hour two on this Thursday. Once again, it feels like I'm trapped in a thirty for thirty. Everything that happened yesterday, last night, and now this morning, Bill Belichick and the Patriots parting ways. They'll have a press conference with Belichick and Robert Kraft coming up at noon Eastern. Nick Saban yesterday, also Pete Carroll yesterday. I thought Mike Brabel and the Titans parting ways was a big deal. That was That was just the appetizer here. Now we got to an entree, and then another entree, and another entree. Welcome to the program. We say, good morning. If you're watching on Peacock. It's our streaming partner, our radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio. Nearly four hundred cities carrying the program. Phone calls will get to those coming up. A lot of people have a lot of thoughts on everything that happened yesterday and so far today eight seven to seven three DP show Seaton Poll question from hour one and then what.
Speaker 2: Are we gonna go with an hour two? Dan hour one? We put up there.
Speaker 3: We have who we'll have a better season next year, Alabama, the Patriots or the Seahawks. Sixty seven percent of the audience say Alabama, followed by the Seahawks. Oh, not a lot of the Patriots rebounding next year?
Speaker 2: New coach Bump. Okay, that's not great. What are we gonna go with the hour two? We're gonna throw up there?
Speaker 3: Harder to replace Bill Belichick or Nick Staban? Is that too much of a landslide for Nick Saban?
Speaker 2: I would think so, yeah, I would think so, all right, we'll go back to who do we want to have it here?
Speaker 3: With the Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll or Nick Savid.
Speaker 2: That one's probably a lot closer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that one, you know, because people think I get a couple of beers in Bill and maybe he's gonna open up a little bit, start dishing on some things.
Speaker 2: Pete.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, Pete would be fun, But I think Nick Saban might be sneaky great with something like that. All right, let's see we'll get phone calls. Gary Danielson. Gary Danielson has called over five hundred college games, including one hundred of Nick sabins. He'll join us, the longtime voice of the sec on CBS, former quarterback in the NFL. He'll join us coming up. Also Tom Pelsero, the insider for NFL Network. Sort Of the coaching carousel got stopped and then spun in a different direction. With Mike Rabel now available. Pete Carroll I think still wants to coach. The Chicago Bears situation is really interesting to me for a couple of reasons. You have Matt Eberflus who had to fire his quarterbacks coach an offensive coordinator. Okay, if you're going to do that, what coach is going to want to come in as your offensive coordinator knowing that you might be fired the following year. Therefore, you're going in there and then you may be shown the door because the coaching staff would be fired. Unless you are going to have Matt Eberflus, You're going to bring in a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterbacks coach because you're taking Caleb Williams. And if I'm Matt Eberflus, if I can hold on and get another couple of years here and now I have a different quarterback. But you'll have to extend Matt Eberflus. You have to give him a contract extension because if not, he's going to be a lane duck coach and you're going to bring in a coaching staff or at least offensive coordinator. Why would I take that job if I'm not even sure if the coach is going to be there, and if you're going to bring in Caleb Williams, because if you don't, and now you're bringing in another offensive coordinator quarterbacks coach for Justin Fields and that's not fair to him. And this is the first time I thought, Okay, maybe they are moving off Justin Fields and they are going to take Caleb Williams or Drake May, but they're going to take a quarterback because I have to extend the coach and then I have to bring in an offensive coordinator and a quarterbacks coach and have those contracts. You know, let's sync up there, or why would you take the job? That coach is going to be a lame duck coach. So I'm expecting the Bears, if they're not moving on from him, that they're going to extend him, and that the Bears were probably going to move on from Justin Fields. And I didn't get that feeling a week ago, but I did yesterday. Yeah, kind of interesting. All right, so we have our poll question and we'll get phone calls. Good morning, once again, watching on Peacock. Sign up for the newsletter. If you are interested in joining us at the Super Bowl in Las Vegas, please do. All you have to do is go to the newsletter and have all the information tonight at sixth Eastern and we'll let you know how you can join us in Las Vegas. Gary Danielson on the golf course, and we appreciate him taking time out from his great golf game.
Speaker 2: I'm sure what hole are you on? Gary?
Speaker 4: Yes? Dan fact, then really, I'm not to be accurate. I'm not taking time out. I'm actually doing playing. But we are thirteen. We usually start about seven thirty and we play really fast.
Speaker 1: Okay, how surprised were you with the Nick Saban news?
Speaker 4: Well, college football is different. You know, you cannot give anybody any heads up about what's going on. If you even hint that you know you might have one two years left and you're thinking about it, you'll get killed and recruiting. So I knew whenever Nick decided to do it, it would be a surprise or very few people would know about it. I don't even think a staff will about it. So it was going to be one of those days and two or three o'clock there was just going to be an announcement and then it was going to happen. And I think it was going to happen. Now, No, didn't didn't realize that there is a bit of a transition. I think for his football team. I think he was really proud of the way this this last team played and the job he did. So, you know, I guess it kind of makes sense. I think I think he and Bill and Nick are all the same age. They're seventy two years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it feels like Pete Carroll still wants to coach, Belichick still wants to coach. I think I think college football, today's college football probably sped up the retirement for Nick Saban. I think nil and transfer portal now, all of a sudden, college football you have less control than you do as an NFL head coach.
Speaker 4: I think that's a good observation. I think, you know, the way that Nick has always built his program is obviously recruited great players. I think he was one of the you know, the people that really saw the future even when he was at Michigan State. When he took the job at LSU, he realized he had to be at a place to recruit the best to win. So I think as he's looked now at his age, is a a little more frustrating for these coaches. I can see that. You know, it sure is different. I've heard stories now from coaches and when you walk into a recruits room, before you say anything about what type of offense you're playing, they want to know, let's get right down to it. How much am I going to get? And I think nil really doesn't explain the process. I don't think it's nil. I actually think it's paid to play.
Speaker 1: The importance of Saban to the success of the SEC.
Speaker 2: How do you quantify that?
Speaker 4: I think it's immeasurable. The fact that he left Michigan State and went to LSU. I think he saw kind of the future. I think the demographics of the Midwest changed. I think Nick was a bit frustrated that any realized to be at the right school in a state where he could control recruiting. You know, the way Ohio State and coach at Ohio State, he was at Michigan State. You know that's an interesting job. Michigan State. You're right there in the middle of the state, and the players are south of you. And three of the most famous schools in college football are just south of you, Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State. So and everybody was shocked. But I think Nick Saban's he saw the feature he went to Michigan State. I think he got a couple of breaks in his career though one his staff did not go to Michigan State, and I think he used that very widely to hire you know, the Will Musk Champs and the Jimbo Fishers, you know, really hungry, good young coaches that recruited well. And the other break I think was, you know, I don't know how his NFL career were to gone, but I don't know if he goes to Alabama, if Drew Brees goes to Miami Dolphins. So you know, these things work out. But Nick is very driven. I mean, I've done five hundred televised games, and I think a hundred of them have been with Nick Saban and I personally, you know, I prepare for the meetings, I go to practice. I think if he does not respect that, you're prepared and understand at least, he doesn't expect you to know everything, but he expects you to work hard for the game, just like he expects his entire organization to work hard. And I think he's got I think he understands athletes too. You know, they want a coach that can help them win, and they want a coach that can help them get to the next level, whether it's a high school coach, a college coach, or obviously in the pros. They want to get the next level is to make more money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I saw sort of a parallel with what John Caliperry's tried to do at Kentucky, that he's preparing you for that next job going into the NBA. He just hasn't been as successful as Nick Saban. But Saban could keep a lot of those players for three years, maybe four years then, and I on transfer Portal kind of happened upon us. When you're in the production meeting with Saban. How much would he share with you?
Speaker 4: I never asked him to share any strategy. I just don't feel that that is a fair question to ask a coach. I really never wanted to know, you know, what your chip plays or anything like that. I more, I would let him know that I've watched the tape, not by telling him, but on my question. I would ask him pointed questions about things that happened last game, things that I've seen the other team do, what changes or what players he feels need to play better. Nick was never Nick was very good to us. You know, he liked Vern a lot. You know, I did ninety SEC games with Nick Saber and you know most of those obviously the last five years with Brad Nessler, a lot of them with Vern. He likes both of them. So he likes to talk, which you never really Yeah, at least I didn't. You know, maybe he was different with Todd or Kirk, but with me. I never. I just didn't feel that that was me to go, you know, what's your trick plays this week. It's just not that how I approached it. I think you had to read between the lines of what he was saying and how excited he was about his team, and that worked best for me.
Speaker 2: Who would you recommend to replace Nick soon? Well?
Speaker 4: I think the names that are out there are all good names, you know, I mean, you know, Dan Lanning would be a really good normal would be a really good choice. I mean, obviously, you know there's the connections with Lane. Those all make sense to me. You know, the person that has to have a really strong personality to go in there because obviously they're following, you know, the greatest.
Speaker 5: Ever.
Speaker 4: It's not an easy job for anybody because you know this the measurements at Ohio State or you know, when we're talking about it's win them all, win them all, it's not a great year. So you know, that's that's one of the things I really talked about a lot when I did Alabama games for all those years. Not only did they have really good players, obviously they were well coached, but they were clutch. They played clutch football with the pressure on. They won a lot of games when there were a lot of things going against them, big LSU games. You know, the only really lost I think one SEC championship game and that was the Florida But I always gave him a lot of credit. You know, he always talked to his players. You know, he's an next quarterback. He always talked to his players that you know, we got to be disciplined, but you got to let it go. You gotta, you know, And I think they bought into that, and I was always when I watched them play, I really thought it's demanding. As Nick was at practice, I think he was, of course, he was fiery up the sidelines, but I think he was understanding that in the game you got to play a little bit loose. Disciplined, yes, but a little bit loose, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 1: Always great to talk to you. Back to your golf game. Thanks for joining us, Gary.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it. Ded, I'm thirteenth old. I've already hit two all of them. Been talking to him nice and smooth. Appreciate it. Thanks for calling.
Speaker 2: Thank buddy.
Speaker 1: That's Gary Daniels in a long time voice analyst SEC on CBS. A couple of phone calls in here. Dean in Dallas, Hi Dean, what's on your mind today? Hey Dean, Thanks Dean.
Speaker 2: Doug in North Carolina, Hi Doug, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Well, Dan, I'm having a battle between my inner child and my educated adult that I've become in front of me. I have the numbers for Bear Bryant and Nick Saban Gerry Daniel Danielson just called Saban the best ever. Both of these guys won six national championships with Alabama Bear was there longer, obviously, but Nick has a better winning percentage. So my question is who's the best in Alabama history?
Speaker 1: Oh, I would say Nick Saban because Bear Bryant did most of had most of his success without integration. I think when USC played Alabama and Bear Bryant saw what Sam Dbam Cunningham was doing for USC, he decided that he was going to recruit African Americans, and so I would say that that has to play a little bit of a role like eateolfh Rupp as well at Kentucky. But I would say Nick Saban to do what he's doing today. You know, it's like John Wooden. John wouldn't wouldn't be John Wooden today. He's still a great coach, but he wouldn't have ten titles in twelve years. Red Hrbach wouldn't have that with the Boston Celtics. It just but they did it when they did it against the competition that you know they were playing.
Speaker 2: But you know things have changed.
Speaker 1: More teams, better teams, better athletes, better coaches, and more money. Let's see what else do we have here? Jesse and Colorado. Hey, Jess, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I had a question for you guys. Thanks for taking my call. But I know his previous stints as a head coach weren't the greatest, But what are the chances of McDaniel's taking over for the Patriots job.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's a head coach. I mean I've said that before, Jesse. I just there are certain guys who were great at being a coordinator, and I think Josh McDaniels is one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Being a head coach is just different.
Speaker 1: You got to be all things to all people, and you can't just be this is my little group here. And we've seen that with Belichick's coaching tree. He had a lot of guys who were really good at one thing, but being a head coach it is difficult. Bill Belichick's personality is that of a defensive coordinator, not as a head coach. But he gets away with it. He got away with it because they were successful. But I don't I mean, maybe they hire Josh McDaniels.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That wouldn't be my choice. Mike Rabel would be my choice. Or drawd Mayo if you want to promote from within. This guy coming up next, Tom pelserro the NFL Network will join us. He'll have some thoughts on that, And what's this mean for the coaching carousel that Rabel's now available and Pete Carroll is available.
Speaker 2: I don't know how many.
Speaker 1: Teams are gonna like if you're in a rebuild and Pete Carroll at seventy two. I just don't know if teams are going to do that. But we'll talk to and get his thoughts on that. Coming up next Dan Patrick Show. Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Hey, we're Covino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 5: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you blover list name and me.
Speaker 9: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 5: Well it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 9: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promise and also Uncensored, by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's going to be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 5: There you go, over Promising. Remember you could see on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Cadino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to Tom Pelco, NFL network insider, get his thoughts on this coaching carousel that got a couple of new participants yesterday with Bill Belichick. We expected and Pete Carroll was a little bit of a surprise. Mike Rabel maybe a little bit of a surprise as well. But we'll talk to Tom coming up here in a moment. Let me get another phone call in here Billy and Nashville.
Speaker 4: Hi, Billy, Hey Dan, Hey guys, how's it going on? Great?
Speaker 10: I know Belichick wants to coach, and he'll be good anywhere he goes. But this is a chance for the NFL to fix their coaching problem. I'm sorry they're officiating problem, because who better than Bill Belichick who become the guy who trains and certifies NFL officiating.
Speaker 1: Cruisey, that sounds like a miserable job. Though Billy Belichick still wants to coach, he wants to surpass Don Shula's all time record. The question is, and according to DraftKings, the best odds right now, the top odds for where Bill Belichick will coach Week one the LA Chargers. Man, I just don't see it. It just feels like that's Harbaugh going back West Coast. Then it's the Falcons. I don't even know if I see that Commanders. And then the fourth best odds are not a head coach of any NFL team?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paul? Could the Falcons bring in the guy who did what he did to I know that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say the phrase.
Speaker 2: Twenty eighty three.
Speaker 1: Tom Pelsero, NFL Network insider. He's been busy. You can, by the way, you can see the Dolphins chief Saturday at eight eastern exclusively on Peacock as we make way for Tom right, let's start with Belichick here. He does want to coach, Where do you think is the best fit for Bill Belichick?
Speaker 11: I would tell you this, Dan, with Bill Belichick, He's been aware for months that potentially things would be coming to an end in New England, and so without you know, making a lot of direct contact teams, he's back channeled things and gotten a pretty good understanding of, you know, what potentially his options might be. I would tell you there's been a lot of discussion about the Atlanta Falcons. I would say that is one possibility, But there are also possibilities that there are teams that maybe are still in the playoffs, teams that do employ head coaches, maybe teams that weren't thinking about making a change, but for the availability of arguably the greatest coach in NFL history suddenly coming to the forefront here. In other words, if you're any team that feels like, you know, we've got a good coach, but we may not have a great coach, why would you not have a conversation right now about Bill Belichick. You know, there's delicate pieces of this. There are rules regarding interview processes and whatnot. I think that for Bill Belichick it always made sense, even though we're going to get a press conference today and this has been finalized to Bill Belichick and the Patriots or partying ways, it has always made sense for Bill Belichick to wait and see what happens in the first, maybe even the second round of the playoffs and see maybe where there's some other teams that are a little further along that may not be as much of a build for him, that might end up potentially becoming options.
Speaker 1: Okay, are we hinting at the Cowboys here, Tom, We're hinting at any team that might believe, after you get into the playoffs here that maybe you could upgrade of going to Bill Belichick.
Speaker 11: Listen, it's got to be a pretty specific type of team, right And that's on multiple fronts. Bill Belichick is not going to take over a total rebuild. He's seventy two years old. As much as he's done that in a place like New England that was a quarter century ago, Bill Belichick is not sitting there going all right, I got five years to build something elsewhere. If he's going to go, he's got to think we've got enough pieces on the roster that I can get this thing rolling and get it rolling quickly. It's also got to be the right ownership, the right structure. If you've got a team that has a hyper involved owner, or you've got a team that is going to put in place layers of other people above Bill, people that can tell Bill how to do his job. That's not really going to be a fit for him either. For instance, I know that there's been a lot of rumors in speculation about the Washington Commanders. I do not see that being a fit for Bill Belichick. For all the reasons I just mentioned. They're going to hire a president of football operations. They do have a little bit further to go on the roster, even though they got a lot of capital to do it. In place like Atlanta that's got a much improved defense that's invested on that side of the ball, that does have players at the skill spots, they still need a quarterback. That's a lot further along here. And again, there's some places right now that have head coaches in place that may be based upon upcoming results or maybe how the season ended, might be willing to make a change, but only if they can get a guy like a Bill Belichick and take your shot for the next two three years, whatever that timeline might be.
Speaker 2: What did the Patriots do.
Speaker 11: The Patriots? I would anticipate running a very targeted search. They're not gonna just, you know, put out ten to twelve requests for all these different people. They're gonna start by looking within the family. So who is that you got your Od Mayo? Who's an in house option on the coaching staff. I would certainly not say that by any stretch that's a slam. Donc that Garrod Mayo gets that job. There's other coaches out there, Mike Vrabel being chief among them. I mean, a couple of months ago, he's sitting in Robert Kraft's suite and saying, we got a game to win today and maybe taking a veiled shot at his current employer at the time by saying, Hey, fans, enjoy this because it's not like this everywhere. Mike Vrabel has a long history in that organization, including being a player there. It's certainly is a consideration, So it would be a Brian Flores, who's now the Vikings defensive coordinator. He won a Super Bowl with Bill Belichick as the DC in New England. I think that you're going to look at all those types of guys because they know how that building functions. Dan New England is not like any place else because of the unilateral power that Bill Belichick has had for so long in that building. They're going to need a general manager too. They're going to need to build out their operational staff. They're going to be need to build out a lot of different things because there's nobody even the guys who have been there before, that are going to take on as much as Bill Belichick did. And I think that when you trace through why ultimately here Bill Belichick and Robert Craft are going separate directions, it's not simply four and thirteen this season. It's about how certain things have eroded over the course of time in New England. When you look at their coaching staff, when you look at the front office staff, they've got good people on both fronts, but it's not the same people. Look at how many people have gotten coaching jobs or GM jobs and have left the basically a brain drain that they've had over the course of time here. You know, there are a lot of discussions among Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft, especially on Monday. They meant for hours on that day, talked through every scenario, including scenarios where Bill Belichick would come back. But Belichick said himself what he met with reporters Monday morning, we got to get some things fixed. Robert Craft had his ideas of how you're going to fix that. Bill Belichick had his own ideas on how to fix that. You have seen an erosion of Bill Belichick's authority to a certain degree in recent years, versus last year when Robert Kraft put out a rare press release saying, hey, we're going to keep girodd Mail, We're bringing in Bill Bill O'Brien as the offensive coordinator. New England has never done things like that, and so for Belichick, he was going to want to make certain changes in terms of the people as much as anything. So is Robert Kraft. They weren't quite on the same page. Everybody's going to go their own directions.
Speaker 1: Tom pelserro NFL Network insider Jim Harbaugh, how close do you think this is to a real possibility that he goes to the NFL.
Speaker 11: I believe it's a real possibility, Dan, and I believe it's been a real possibility in Jim Harbaugh's mind for a couple of years now. You know, you trace it back to two years ago when he interviewed in person with the Vikings on National Signing Day. That's how serious Jim Harbaugh was about the possibility of going to the NFL. Was that partly to tweak an administration that had just forced him to take a pay cut the year before coming off COVID who's the set? But he was very serious about that job, to the point that he did at zoom with the Vikings and then when in in person and did, like I want to say, it was a seven hour interview with them. They ultimately, based on the results of the interviews as well as just kind of the fit, they decided to go with Kevin O'Connell. That's been a really good hire for them. Last year with Denver Harbad did a zoom with the Broncos. They wanted to get him in for an in person interview. And this is not a direct quote from Harbaugh, but the sense on his end was, I'm Jim Harbaugh how many interviews do I have to do? You know exactly who I am as a coach. Just hire me if you want to. The Penners actually flew and visited Harbaugh in Ann Arbor to try to get him to reconsider that one just didn't line up this time around.
Speaker 2: Harbaugh.
Speaker 11: I can tell you this. Dan has been refreshing his staff lists, He's had conversations with people, He's been evaluating the openings. He also coming off of the greatest feat of his coaching career when in a national title at his alma mater. He heads in the clouds still a little bit here. Over the last couple of days, I would anticipate we will find out fairly soon how serious Jim Harbaugh is and whether there's a place that's lined up for him to go in the NFL. It's a lot like I talked about Bill Belichick and how you need to have the personnel and the structure of the organization line up for him to want to take that job. It's a similar type of thing with Jim Harbaugh. Everybody's going to draw the arrows to the LA Chargers. They absolutely are exploring this, and from Harbaugh's perspective, there's a lot to like, and it begins with Justin Herbert. The Chargers also are a family owned and run business. John Spanos oversees the football operation. Another one of Dean spans the Sun's overseas the business operation. Is that going to be a fit for what they want to do and what Jim Harbaugh wants to do. There are some fascinating discussions to be had if they go down that path. The Raiders makes a lot of sense to with Jim Harbaugh and Mark Davis be a fit. We'll see. There's other jobs out there that potentially Harbaugh could be connected to as well. But for me, I would say, if Jim Harbaugh is going to take one of these things in this cycle, La and Las Vegas would be the two to watch.
Speaker 1: The Seattle opening, How attractive is that and who do you think they're going to target?
Speaker 11: I believe it's a really attractive job opening in Seattle because they've gotten so much younger. They really flip that thing over the last few years here. You look at the talent that they've amassed at the skill spots, the young talent that they've masked on defense. Dan they went into last season making moves like they thought they could win a Super Bowl right now. They brought back Bobby Wack and paid him a bunch of money. They made a trade deadline trade for Leonard Williams, which gave up future draft picks. You don't do that if you're not expecting, hey, we're in it to win it right now. They end up nine to eight, they missed the playoffs. I think it's fair to say they felt like this was a team that underachieved to a certain degree. Fourteen years is a long time for anybody to have one job in the NFL. Pete Carroll said yesterday he thought he as Pete always says, he competed to be the coach, but Jody Allen, the Seahawks chair, her mind was made up based on the total evaluation here they're going to look. I think it's an oversimplification to say, well, dan Quinn's just going to come in. He's been there before. Dan Quinn's going to have other options. He's a real candidate in Tennessee, he's a real candidate in a place like Washington. He's got slips from a couple of other teams as well. Dan Quinn potentially is going to have options here once we get to the point that dan Quin can actually talk with other teams, and so for Seattle, I anticipate you're going to see them put in Lis and all likely in the coming days here for some of the young offensive coaches, because with Pete Carroll, you know, they've had good offenses at times through the years, but Pete's foundation is defense, don't turn it over. We're going to win the way that we have to. We have to cut you loose Russe Wilson, Gino Smith in the fourth quarter. We're going to do that. I think it's gonna be somebody who probably fits, you know, in broad swaths the culture that they've built here. Not that you're going to do everything the same as Pete, which is why it doesn't necessarily have to be dan Quinn. But I think like that culture of positivity and competition is going to be a big deal for them. They'll run a broad search here and I'll be interested to see where that lands.
Speaker 1: But it feels like Pete still wants to coach at seventy two. Is he as attractive as Bill Belichick?
Speaker 11: I think that if Pete Carroll wants to coach, and he said it in his press conference after the game as well as yesterday that he doesn't feel worn out, he feels refreshed. He said he's freaking jacked again to use another Pete carrollsm about what comes next here. Absolutely, I mean there are teams that are going to evalue wait this, and I can tell you are evaluating this with Pete. I mean there's a couple of teams that would make sense. The Atlanta Falcons would make sense. I don't know that Pete is moving across the country to do that at this point, but there's always been an attraction for Arthur Blank to bringing in a guy like a Pete Carroll. I mean, he hired Dan Quinn years ago out of that same program. The Chargers are also a possibility in terms of at least evaluating this opportunity. Can you imagine Pete Carroll going back to LA to take one more shot and he's got Justin Herbert a quarterback and a veteran defense. Again, these are all hypotheticals at this point. The Chargers our team that is going to interview a ton of people for this job. But I would absolutely not rule out Pete Carroll coaching in the NFL again, potentially even in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: I'll leave you with this. I'm trying to understand what the Bears are doing. You keep Matt Eberflus, but you fire the offensive coordinator in the quarterbacks coach, which now leads me to believe they move on from justin field. Why would you take that job if you're an offensive coordinator, if you're not even sure if Matt Eberflus is going to be extended. So do the Bears extend their head coach so you get some stability for an offensive coordinator and or quarterbacks coach who's going to go in there? And does that lead you to believe the same thing that they're going to take somebody number one overall at quarterback.
Speaker 11: I don't foresee a contract extension for Matt Eberflus at this point just because he's two years in. Most teams don't do new deals two years in unless you've gone to the Super Bowl. The Bears played better the second half of last season down the stretch, and that really made the case for Matt Eberflus to stick around. You know, you look at the numbers on their offense. They weren't horrible. I mean, they ended up number two in rushing, even though they didn't even have Justin Fields for a chunk of games. I mean, they're playing with a Division two undrafted quarterback, Tyson Bagen, and they're winning some of those games. They were top ten most of the season and third downs in red zone, so this was not a completely broken offense by any stretch. I think that my instincts are the same as yours, Dan, which is there's probably a possibility this would signal that you are bringing in a new quarterback and you're going to gear a new offense around him. But the Bears at this point are not going to cut off any of their options in terms of potentially keeping Justin Fields, although he's also at a point where if you're going to commit to him, you'd be thinking about a contract extension for him sooner than later. Bears are in a really unique spot. Ryan Poles said as much yesterday, where you're sitting on the number one pick and the number nine pick, and you have a quarterback who, even though it's never been consistent with Justin Fields, which is the biggest fault there and the biggest reason you might move on, you've also seen him at times do some pretty cool stuff on the field, So a lot of different directions that could go. They immediately put in a request yesterday, Dan hours after the Pete Carroll decision for Shade Waldron, who's been the offensive coordinator in Seattle and had Gino Smith playing at a really high level. Is it the most attractive job in the NFL? For all the reasons you just said. There certainly is gonna be trepidation among some coaches of hey, am I walking into a one year situation and then we're all going to be in trouble here. But whether you're talking about justin fields or you know, just as a lore and probably more so Caleb Williams a potential number one pick coming in he hasn't declared for the draft yet, still could be Drake May. A lot of ways this could go. Let's be honest, Caleb Williams is the one that everybody in the league is going to be talking about, and somebody, quite possibly, whether it's the Bears or otherwise, is going to end up in that number one spot.
Speaker 4: Taken.
Speaker 1: I lied, I have one more. What's the wildest rumor you've heard? Not report? Do you have any wild rumors?
Speaker 11: I mean, haven't reality been more fun than rumor right now is Beryl is out in Seattle, Bill Belichick is out in New England. I mean, listen, there's always rumors about, you know what potentially could happen with a Mike Tomlin. He's got one year left on his contract. Usually the Steelers do extensions earlier than that. They didn't in this case. Could he, you know, potend walk with their They'd absolutely be interested with other teams. I think that's something you know to keep in mind here. I mean, there's there's so much stuff we have a coaching think about this, Dan, just like thirty thousand foot view this for a second. We have an NFL coaching cycle right now where we're talking about possible candidates Jim Harbaugh, Mike Rabel, Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll. That's a really that's a real thing that's happening right now in twenty twenty four. And when you look at the young, the young candidates for some of these jobs, there's certainly a lot of talented young coaches. But outside of Ben Johnson, maybe a Brian Callahan, maybe an Aaron Glenn, there's not a whole lot of coaches that you say, right now Okay, opening shot. This guy's going to get a job and he's ready to go. It's going to be an absolutely fascinating a few weeks in the hiring cycle.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah.
Speaker 11: Pour on top of that, the fact that we've got unique rules now for the first time where you can't do in person interviews with people who are currently employed by NFL teams until January twenty second, after the divisional playoff games. You know who's not subject to those rules, Bill Bellich, Check, Jim Harbaugh. Those guys are and Pete Carrol, all those guys. It's a different type of a deal because if they end up getting released from their contracts, which is a technical thing we can deal with later, they're available to interview right now and they'll be fascinat to see where it all goes.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tom, you got it.
Speaker 11: Dan happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Tom Pelisero, NFL Network insider man exhausted after that. Dolphins chieved Saturday Night eight Eastern exclusively on Peacock.
Speaker 2: Your phone calls coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. After listening to Tom Pelisaro the Network NFL Network Insider, there are a couple of teams if they would bow out in their first playoff game, you get the feeling that maybe management might go, Hm, we can kick this guy to the curb and we can bring in somebody who's a proven successful coach Dallas, even though Mike McCarthy does have a really good track record. But if Jerry Jones is attracted to shiny things, and Bill Belichick is a shiny thing, if you're Buffalo, if Buffalo bounds out as the number two seed, would they move on from Sean McDermott. Would that be a place that's attractive to Bill Belichick. You stay in the NFC East, you get to haunt New England. You got your franchise quarterback. They have some pretty good defensive players Stefan Diggs. They have a little bit more of a running game with Cook. Just you know, you have to think like an owner thinks. Because I can't see Bill going to Carolina and going, oh my god, this team isn't any good. And I got this owner who wants you know, results right away, Washington. I only thought for the location that he grew up in Annapolis, and you have the second pick in the draft, you have new ownership there in a great fan base. But Tom Tellicero said he didn't see that happening Belichick on the West Coast.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know. For some reason, I just don't see that.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's gonna have flip flops and shorts and uh, he's he's gonna be like the older Sean McVay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I could see where if a team bows out sooner like Philadelphia is in a weird situation like man, oh man, Nick Siriani has cooled off. It's frosty, and if you happen to lose to Tampa Bay Man, uh get a couple of phone calls in here. Uh let me see, is this uh Topeka in Tampa?
Speaker 2: Dan, Yes it is.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, thanks thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Second time, long time five.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to call to say happy birthday to Jarrett, my boyfriend, and I also.
Speaker 6: Wanted to say I don't know what's going on with the Bears, but good luck.
Speaker 4: To Justin Field no matter what, so go Bears.
Speaker 12: Happy birthday, Jarrett all right, there you go, Topeka calling in to wish your You know, sometimes it's just easier to say to your boyfriend, happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Yes, DoD, where's that caller from Kansas?
Speaker 1: I think we all do Topeka, Topeka from Kansas. Thank you to Hay nice Joe and Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Hi Joe, Hey DP six foot even two hundred, thank you calling because of your color. Last color. About baby on a plane situation, we got a story wife and I decided that the oldest at the time was able to fly. So sitting waiting for the plane to board from Cincinnati to Florida, My man, he's not taking his neck time. He's getting off. We can feel it. And we get on the plane, you know, new parents, and he's screaming the whole time, won't stop. So we're bouncing him. We're walking up and down the aisles, doing everything we can, steeling all the eyes on us, you know, anyway, doesn't he screams the whole time. Get there, Get to where we're going. I put a twelve pack next to the pool and I sit there and a fellow with the Bengals tattoo comes strolling down and I say, oh, hey, Bengals Cincinnati. Oh you know, cool fun vacation. Listen to that and said, hey, how'd you get down here? What flates you take? And he looked at me and said yours. We shared that twelve back after that my beer with his beer that day.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Joe Man.
Speaker 1: When you walk on a plane with kids who people are either looking right at you or they're looking away on purpose, they're praying you're not sitting next to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was one of the biggest like changes about life or something that I learned after having a child is that as soon as you walk on with a child, everybody goes, oh no, and then they start looking at you, well, avoiding eye contact, but watching where you're going.
Speaker 2: Please don't sit next to me. Please don't sit next to me. Please don't sit next to me. Please don't sit next me.
Speaker 13: Yes, And there's a level of empathy once you have kids, because when they're crying, like you're sitting here, Hey bleep, I don't want him crying either. Well, I don't want her crying either. You think I want this baby crying? You bleep?
Speaker 2: Wow? Am I so angry?
Speaker 3: Now You're like, hey, we're all with you, pal, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Man, I get it. I've been there.
Speaker 3: You'll get through the flight, Okay, don't worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right about that.
Speaker 1: Though, after you have kids on a plane and then you see a baby it's crying, or you see the parents, Oh my god, you just want to say, hey it, you'll get through it.
Speaker 2: You'll get through it.
Speaker 1: The voice of the Crimson tied Eli Golde will join us coming up Final Hour