Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hull that for me, I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy, you want to be happy for Dake Edith State is that woof?
Speaker 2: Woof?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Ty.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Cliburbal Boys Girls. My name is Ty Hilda Brand joining me as always Dan Rubinstein over there in summery, Chicago, Illinois.
Speaker 1: Daniel, sir, how are you good? Burbs of Chicago, Illinois, Burbs Burbs, North Burbs. I am excited to do this show. This is a I don't know if it's a Q and A show as much as it is. We asked a Q of people on social media and they submitted a's as it relates to the past year of their favorite program and their lives themselves and me personally, Ty, because that's what you ask. How you if this is a show about the best and worst decisions, I can tell you in the short term, I just had a slice of extremely dense chocolate cake going in great decision as we stand right now, very confusing, possibly regretful decision. So I'm here with you.
Speaker 2: One decision that runs the full gamut is an interesting perspective that I think we're going to explore a little bit more as we go through tonight's show. Don't forget to subscribe. If you haven't already, you can go on out to solid verbal dot com. You can find the links in the upper right hand corner. Just hover over to that listener subscribe button and you can find all the links that you need to subscribe to the content. Again twice a week all throughout the off season. At some point as we near the season, we will switch back up do it a little bit more frequently, but for now, twice a week is all you get. Follow al on social media Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, We've got a YouTube at the slash e Solid Verbal and a twitch stream, which I must add you did a pizza bake for the first time on twitch stream. Got a little bit of traction. Folks were asking some questions out there. Mom h referred to you just on the sly as Danny Rubentino. Oh, I like that after seeing what you did with pizza. So she's very excited and wants to see more of your pizza bakes. I don't know if that's something you can accommodate, if.
Speaker 1: Only for her.
Speaker 2: Secondly, I've got a big game coming up. I know I've been playing the old NCAA franchise on there. M M. I've got a big game coming up against a friend either Friday or Saturday night. We haven't decided yet, but stay tuned to our social media channels and of course the Patreon discord server at verbollers dot com for more information about when that big matchup is going to occur. But I'm getting myself mentally prepared to ye, I can't wait. Were you were struggling last night when during your do you want me to want to temple you?
Speaker 1: No? I was texting you during the the stream I was watching. It was a field last night. It was in a three all. A little before halftime, you threw an ugly, ugly pick you were you got an explosive play before halftime. I didn't watch the second half. I assume you held on. I want an overtime against Temple nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: A rock fight in the first half. Second half picked up.
Speaker 2: But anyway, we got a big matchup coming up against a human opponent in the next couple of days. So again, that's out at Twitch dot tv slash Solid Verbal on tonight's show. We promised you we're going to be doing one Q and a show per month throughout the off season. Today is that show, and we've got a unique spin on it. Dan looking back looking forward, chocolate cake dilemma, anundrum if you will, decisions decisions is what we are titling this here content. What what decisions decisions are we.
Speaker 1: So I asked verbalers to let us know what is the absolute best decision that their favorite team or program made in the last year. So it could be something on the field, it could be something as it relates to hiring a coach, retaining a coach, uniform, all sorts of things, anything related to your program. And then personally, so the best decision, the worst decision about your program, and then personally, what was the best decision. Obviously, these past three hundred and sixty five days have been largely very different for all of us. So best and worst decision you yourself made. That's sort of issued at everybody listening who responded, and we got some incredible responses, and I'm prepared to give mine for my team and for my life. I hope you are as well. I know you said you had a huge professional reveal. I don't know what that means, but I'm excited to get into it. Well, where do we want to start? Do we want to start with our teams?
Speaker 2: We want to start with our person What makes the most sense for you?
Speaker 1: You mean like, should we start with college football or human? Yeah? Why are you correct? Oh? College football?
Speaker 2: So the best decision that my team made in twenty twenty was an easy one, and that was joining the ACC. Notre Dame did so out of necessity. I don't know what it would have looked like if they hadn't. My guess is they still would have found a way to play games, but it wouldn't nearly have been as high profile as it ended up being. Huge win against Clemson, obviously made the ACC Championship, obviously made the playoff game, so it was, by all accounts a successful season. Did not end the way many Notre Dame fans and I'm sure Notre Dame players would have hoped. But I think, just in terms of what was the best decision they made, Jack Swarbrick pulling the trigger early joining the ACC, becoming that fifteenth team on a one time only basis, In my book, that's a huge dub. I hope they end up going in that direction moving forward, whether it's with the ACC, the Big Ten, some other conference. I've long been a proponent of Notre Dame joining and ending the independence when it makes financial league yea, yeah, well Aliga, yeah, League one, Uber eats whatever works for them, I'm fine with. But I think it was a huge move, a great move by Swarbrick, and it was cool to see it.
Speaker 1: If that's really the only glimpse we're going to get at them in a conference, what's the what was the worst move of the past year from Notre Dame. I struggle with the worst move or worst decision? Yeah, well, you know, I mean you could, you could, you could split hairs here if you really wanted to.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that I had trouble coming up with a worst decision, a decision that I thought.
Speaker 1: It's all relative too. It doesn't mean you have to come up with a catastrophe, but just in terms of a very successful year.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, there were no catastrophes. I will say this, the one decision that I am wondering about, I am curious about, Like the chocolate cake and the belly state.
Speaker 1: Of things, I'm in a strange place is.
Speaker 2: The Tommy Reess decision at to go with Tommy Rees at offensive coordinator. And I struggle even saying that aloud because I really like Tommy Reese.
Speaker 1: I really like him.
Speaker 2: Perhaps I'm biased because we spent so much time talking about him on the show and Reesis became part of our content for like four straight years. I really want him to work out. I do think he's got a promising future as a head football coach at some point in time. And I totally get why Notre Dame would appoint him to that position. But he's pre damn green before taking over the Raids, and so not to say anybody else, Chip Long any other coordinator was gonna get more blood out of the stone that was Ian Book at quarterback. But that's not even fair good quarterback.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I just.
Speaker 2: I need more information before I'm fully comfortable with that as a good, long lasting, sustainable decision.
Speaker 1: Well also, I mean I don't want to get too in the way. This is well trod territory, if that's a word. You know, what if Notre Dame upgrades from Tommy Reese to I don't know what, Phil Longo at North Carolina, somebody who has been consistently a good coordinator or something like that with a lot more experience. Isn't ian book Notre dame offense beyond merely good? I don't know. I mean it also depends on like Notre Dame didn't really have killers at receiver, and it just you know, there was a ceiling for Notre Dame's offense. So I think that you qualified it. I think you couched it pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, the receiver component of this is important. There were plenty of players with these guys just weren't getting open. Yeah, and there was no separation. That does not all fall on the shoulder of ian Book. Ian Book is not without his own limitations, but within the system, ian Book was very good. Ianbook won a lot of games. Ian Book got him to a conference championship game in the playoff, so say what you want, but he got the job done when he had to. I think we're going to find out more about Reese this coming season, because you know, whether it's Jack Cohne in the short term probably will be, whether it's a guy like a Tyler Buckner.
Speaker 1: New recruit.
Speaker 2: In the long term that remains to be seen. But he will now have an opportunity to really put his stamp on the program moving forward with a fresh face at quarterback, which is where he should really excel being so he knows the position well from his own time and Notre Dame. So we'll see.
Speaker 1: Oregon's best decision was to make a defensive adjustment later on in the season. They were running some very strange looks which had the defensive line two three yards off the line of scrimmage to try to confuse and do all sorts of I don't know, stunting and caveon. Thibodeau ended up at like middle linebacker in some set and then they sort of scrapped that and went back to what worked and absolutely demolished USC upfront in that very odd happenstance of a Pac twelve championship game. But that was a fantastic decision, and of course Andy Avlos rode a stronger and to the regular season before bowlseason to the head coaching job at Boise State, so good for him. That was a very good decision to get back to what worked for the Oregon defense. You know, the hiring of Joe moorehead was before three hundred and sixty five days ago. That was a late January, I believe, so that doesn't count. But I think in terms of twenty twenty, that was a fantastic move and I stand by it, even though the offense didn't really fully work out for Oregon. I would say the worst thing that Oregon did was probably the belief in quarterback probably lasted too long when it was looking like it was not going to be Tyler Shuck, rising to the occasion later on in the season in those games against you know, Oregon State and Cal and there was just it was tough. It was a tough watch once it was clear that if he was to be pressured, it was not going to go well for Oregon's offense. So that was probably the worst move. But all in all, a very positive year for Oregon football and an abbreviated season to still win the Pac twelve. So again, it's all a relative complaint. Do you have a personal best and worst decision you made last year?
Speaker 2: And oh Dan, Oh Dan, I think so Okay, the best decision I made was to take up home projects. And I've said this before. This isn't going to come as any surprise to folks who listened to this show, but I think taking up home projects, anything that gets you away from a screen, the best has really been rewarding. So we painted like five yeah, five rooms in this house. Maybe not five rooms, it felt.
Speaker 1: Like five rooms. But you also tried Korean barbecue for the first time within three hundred and sixty five days ago. Yeah, correct, that's true.
Speaker 2: The last time was right before we all went into quarantine up in New York with you. But no, the home project's bit painting has been has really been like more fun than I expected, if only because again there's no computer screen involved. We also committed to buying a fence for the solid pup, but because everything is on back order and literally the entire world had the exact same idea, we have yet to receive said fence. So if we're going chocolate cake, this is the decision that felt good on the way in, but has felt a little less good each day since we're still waiting, and furthermore, since they still have a huge deposit check that I put down on said fence.
Speaker 1: Wow, so hopefully we're gonna get good for you at some point here.
Speaker 2: Worst decision worst decision Dan was buying a new microwave. Okay, why worst decision was buying a new microwave. We had the unfortunate circumstance of the microwave that came with the house. I think it was the original microwave when the house was built. That thing went could put around mid April. First decision in a year, it is, there's more mid April when could put made an awful sound whenever you turn the thing on.
Speaker 1: No longer heated any food.
Speaker 2: Just so happens that a appliance dealer was offering a Memorial Day sale shortly thereafter, could get a really good I think it was a ge brand microwave for a fraction of the price. They cumming they'd install it. They'd been here before, so it was a good deal.
Speaker 1: Called them up. It fit the space.
Speaker 2: They came out, they tried to install it, and that's when all hell broke loose, Dan, All hell broke loose as they popped the old microwave out and put the new one in. They come to discover that the door only opens about a quarter of the way. And that's because my kitchen has an odd can figuration. Most microwaves. When you've got an above the range microwave like most people do, or a lot of people do. You don't have an obstruction blocking the door from opening, But in the case of our kitchen, there's actually sort of like a mini wall there.
Speaker 1: This is almost like you're filibustering a college football podcast.
Speaker 2: This is exactly what's happening. The door wouldn't open. It wouldn't open, and nobody, nobody makes one that will unless I want to spend like fifteen hundred dollars to get a microwave that opens top to bottom or bottom of the top. So you know what's happened, Dan, what's happened is after trying another microwave, after getting my money back, after trying poorly to install the old microwave back into the space, I now have a giant gaping hole where my microwave used to be. And I haven't had a microwave for close to a year. First world problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, this is even first world problems. This is the only person with the problem. This minute be their biggest decision. It's a beautiful You can't what would you do if you could warm food up in a microwave. I have a toaster, and I have a regular oven, I have a stove. I have used these things as well, steamer basket. None of them are.
Speaker 2: As convenient as a microwave. Okay, don't pooh pooh this.
Speaker 1: This is microwave dietribe. I will postpone my best and worst life decisions until the end of the show. Here's the teas. They both involve an edible. Oh okay, they will involve an edible, and one of them at least involves you. So there's that. Okay, okay, let's go to some college football answers from fans from across the country. We've got some really good ones. We're gonna start with Instagram. Actually, usually we save Instagram for last. We're gonna start with this. I've got Sam saying Texas fired Tom Herman, hooray, but also set Bijehan Robinson for Keyante Ingram for way too long. Yeah that makes sense. Yeah, We've got a bunch of Michigan people saying the worst decision that Michigan made this year was not firing Jim Harbaugh. Yeah wow, interesting, Wow, interesting.
Speaker 2: That's who is there a guy? This is the question that nobody's been able to answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it, there's always a guy. Well, there's always a guy. I get it. But if not Horbaw, then who?
Speaker 2: And who are you expecting to come into the situation and make an immediate impact that's going to turn them into like an eleven win team. Is that guy out there?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Harbaugh still feels like a good coach. He's getting paid a ton. Maybe he's getting a little long in the tooth in ann Arbor at this point, and it's not going to be a long term situation. But I just until I get an answer, an obvious answer to if not Harball, then who, it's really hard for me to take it seriously despite all the frustrations that I think is associated.
Speaker 1: With him always gonna have. You know, Luke Fickle, Matt Campbell, there are coaches in the Midwest with a Midwestern footprint who I'm sure would be happy to take over an enormous program with enormous resources. But yeah, you're right, and Luke Fickele, obviously with his Ohio State ties, is it complicates it. But yeah, there are guys, Tye, there are guys that are willing to take six and a half seven million dollars to Candle Premier program.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you poop pooed my microwave story. This has been very traumatic over the last year.
Speaker 1: Dan, It's just been a really tough year for a lot of people. And here you are saying your worst decision.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the worst thing that happened in the world in twenty twenty, I know, but my worst decision was buying that microwave.
Speaker 1: Continue. We had some Georgia fans say, best decision starting, finally starting JT. Daniels worst waiting to play JT. Daniels. Yeah, that long? Well was that was that a decision though to wait to play him?
Speaker 2: Or was it?
Speaker 1: Was it more a matter of medical clearance? I mean it could have been out of an abundance of caution, Okay, And then I don't know, who knows. We've got a lot of Florida letting Kyle Trask really shine and trusting him and opening up the playbook and really letting him do what he does best, which is pick apart defenses. And the worst obviously throwing a shoe key moment against LSU. The shoe was terrible. I've got a Notre dame joining the ACC as the best decision, accepting playoff invitation as Notre dame in that nice place of like, Hey, we lost the most respectively of most teams who played Alabama, I guess outside of Florida. So there's that. Let's see what else we have we have from Damn Klobacar long time for baller. The best decision Perdue made was related to their uniforms. Everything else was the bad decision I was made. Yeah, I was waiting for.
Speaker 2: Some uniform hot takes here. I thought I thought we'd get more of them. But okay, good.
Speaker 1: He also gave of us. His best life decision was buying home gym equipment the day things started shutting down, so we had a squat rack all year. So, in case you're wondering, Dan Klobokar likely likely has terrific glutes, great glutes, he just tree trunks his thighs is if he's been squatting more consistently than most at home this year. His worst is not buying a nice office chair for his house. Yeah, that's key, Interesting, it's key. Okay, we got a lot of JT. Daniels. Best decision for BYU going with Zach Wilson, letting him shine. I don't know how much of a choice they had. But the worst decision playing Coastal within sixty hours Coastal Carolina. M. Yeah, Yeah, that was you know what, I think that was a great decision. You just needed to stop them a little bit more. Yeah, I still think it was a good decision.
Speaker 2: It was good. It was a good decision. Sometimes you need to think bigger picture. That was a really good decision for a college football season that needed a little bit of a boost at that point in time. Everybody watched that game. Everybody watched that game, and it was like the best game of the year.
Speaker 1: We had some Ohio State fans talk about a great decision in bringing in Trey Sermon as a transfer running back from Oklahoma and really leaning on him when things got dicey both against Northwestern and Clemson. Certainly, Tray Sermon more than carried his weight did his part to power Ohio State forward. And then we got a lot of both Sean Wade and to a greater extent, tough Borland on an Island decision making. I guess Sean Wade was sort of moved from the inside and playing sort of nickel corner's safety snaps into being an outside corner, and that didn't fully go well for Ohio state. But then yeah, tough Borland, especially highlighted by on An Island against DeVante Smith. It got dicey tie. I don't know if you remember, Oh I remember did get dicey with a linebacker on DeVante Smith.
Speaker 2: Let me pose one to you a different situation from the perspective of the PAC twelve. Is the best decision firing Larry Scott and then or letting Larry Scott go, and the worst decision deciding to play a season at all.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it was a bad decision to play a season. The PAC twelve was able to play football. They took a lot of precautions, I think all in all, I mean, the PAC twolve didn't have a playoff caliber team, so it's not like they quitted themselves terribly by playing. The Larry Scott thing is tbd. We got to see, just like you mentioned with Jim Harbaugh, who do they bring in? What's the impact? Yeah, what is the reaction? What does the money look like in the next TV deal? What does the distribution look like? Because right now, the PAC twelve before gambled on people being interested in the PAC twelve and its network getting barriers to help foot the bill by saying, oh, Direct TV wants to pay however many cents per whatever, and it worked out financially, it did not work out financially. And so what does it look like as the broadcast landscape? And I don't know how much you want to get into this, but like I have no idea what broadcast TV slash streaming is and look like in two years, everybody's sort of starting their own service and saying you want HBO, Well, you don't need Comcast, you don't need AT and T. I go AT and T. I guess owns HBO now, but you don't need some sort of cable service, just just grab HBO. And so as that changes, like if you don't care about PAC twelve, Big twelve or Big ten football and you just want sec ACC, we got you just the ESPN app, that's all you need. And so they're things like that that are going to be fascinating, with the PAC twelve right now looking like of the Power five conferences the least attractive from a financial perspective right now.
Speaker 2: I talked about this with Matt Brown, and so let's let's play a more futuristic version of this same game. If I told you in three years and we'll get back to the responses here.
Speaker 1: We got many of them.
Speaker 2: If I told you in three years that the PAC twelve cut a deal with Google and YouTube, and it's a different kind of deal. It's not necessarily going to be standard cable, but they're going to put every game on YouTube that you can watch and then some of those.
Speaker 1: So any any digital device, any ott any phone, tablet, laptop, everything on YouTube. PA twelve could be on YouTube.
Speaker 2: You can watch any PACK twelve game wherever you want on YouTube, and they will, you know, maybe they'll sell some of that back to a network.
Speaker 1: If they're say they're going to sell your data, Yeah, going to do that.
Speaker 2: But three years from now, if you find out that this is the deal that the PAC twelve cut, knowing what you know now, is that best to decision?
Speaker 1: Worst decision? I don't think it's answerable right now, just because we don't know what the actual product is. You could watch PAC twelve games if you wanted to. For the most part, you couldn't watch maybe ten thirty PM Eastern Colorado Arizona kickoff without the PAC twelve network. But the majority of big middle and not as good games in terms of quality of matchup, you could watch people just didn't a lot of the time. So sure it makes it easier to watch. But if the product isn't any good and isn't attractive to somebody in Minneapolis or Nashville or Orlando or something, it doesn't I don't know, it doesn't mean all that much to me. You still need the killers at the top of every conference, and that's what the PAC twelve doesn't have, plural killers. What else you got here? Pitt not accepting a bull bit as a best decision. I'm cool with that. Yeah. If players were just wanting to get home for the holidays and sick of quarantining and abting by extreme, extremely tight protocol on campus and they wanted to get home and spend time with family in a safe way, great with it. Yeah, it's not it's worst decision. Keeping Sean Watson at coordinator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, I don't think you can really fault anyone, be it a player or a team for the opt out.
Speaker 1: It was just it was a goof year. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We got a bunch of I think like minded Tennessee fans here who said that the best decision was firing Jeremy Pruitt. Worst decision was extending.
Speaker 1: Jeremy Pruett before the season. It's easy to forget that they did that before the seat. We have a lot of people regretful about not working out, so not having Dan Clobacar glutes that they had the time and or ability to. But you know, it was it was tough for all of us to just get up off the couch, get away from the desk, and as lines blurred for a lot of us between work and personal time, you know, it became more and more difficult, especially this past month or so. Here in Chicago. Worst decision, Yeah, there's more Jeremy Pruitz scrolling through here. Oh I like this one. Well, now I lost it. We have not buying bitcoin at twelve k. I don't understand that per se, But it looks like a Nebraska fan. So it was a tough year for him. Best for a Penn State fan. James Franklin using the transfer portal to add players. Worst James Franklin completely neglecting to use the transfer portal up until like two months ago. Oh god, yeah, yeah. We had some with like not bringing in competition for Sean Clifford and seeing what they had in Roberson? Is that who Penn State fans one of the guys they were clamoring for. I assume in situations like that that it's extremely rare. Maybe I'm wrong about Robertson. I don't know. I haven't seen him in live game action. Nobody has, but just generally speaking, where it's just like, why aren't we seeing what we have in this backup? The answer is generally not always, but a good healthy percentage of the time they're not good in practice, and so it becomes very difficult to play somebody in a game that you've watched with your own eyes against a scout team be not good. I don't know if that's true about Roberson, but that to me from everything I have heard about various teams and when people are clamoring for a backup, that's generally the reason why. Or they're hurt, or they don't know the playbook like that. Coaches can be overly loyal, for sure, but there's generally more ink to be spilled about the reason for that ambivalence. I would say, you can't even use the red.
Speaker 2: Shirt this year, not anymore because of the eligibility.
Speaker 1: Well, you also had four games too, so with that new role. Yeah, and I see that.
Speaker 2: We also have a comment here about making a move to get Mike yoursitch getting rid of our boy Kirk Sharraka.
Speaker 1: Which is a bummer because we were pretty excited about Kirk Sharaka Shraka.
Speaker 2: But it seems like that was not working. And I do give James Franklin credit for acknowledging as much and pulling the trigger on that one, making the move to get your stitch. Now, I guess it remains to be seen how successful that's going to be because we still have big questions at quarterback and you know, I don't know if your stitch you'll be able to clear those up.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to look at the quarterback transfer portal and look at the number of quarterbacks who as and this is not a I'm not going to use this opportunity to name specific names because it's one of them. As my resolution indicated, I'm trying to be less mean about players playing poorly because they're just college kids and there are a number of is always why a player doesn't sort of live up to expectations. But it's amazing looking through the transfer portal and looking at the just the C minus chairs being reshuffled across the sport at quarterback and wondering, what does this coach see in this quarterback that makes them think that they are an answer if it's at a similar level, if you're going from the Big twelve to the SEC, if youre going from the Big ten to the ACC and so forth. I do always wonder when a quarterback is pretty obviously not a Power five quarterback and then he just goes to another Power five program. I always wonder is it just a numbers thing? Is it just that, Like it's always very confusing to me. But I guess you got to find roster spots, and you know, it's all variable every year. I don't know. Does that ever like strike you when you look at like twenty four to seven does a fantastic job with their they have a transfer portal, rundown page yep. And typically when a quarterback struggles at a mid level Power five school, really struggles to get better, improve at all, and then just goes to a similarly sized program and another conference, do you think it's Is it the confidence, the unwavering confidence that you're a better coach and you can get the best out of this guy in a way that the previous guy couldn't. Do you think that's what it is like, I don't, I don't understand. I guess you just kind of fill out a room sometimes. But it's wild to me seeing some of these transfers.
Speaker 2: Well, this is not a profession that is short on ego. So I have no doubt that there is that there is part of it. And we've seen that in professional sports, journeymen who have bounced around from team to team to team, you know, especially in the NFL, each coach trying to get the most out of that player, and in a lot of cases it doesn't work. In some cases it does.
Speaker 1: But well, to be clear, the NFL are professional players. Sure, these these are on some level good players. I know, Like there are guys like Nate Peterman who were just like nightmares for the Bills and somehow keeps getting backup jobs. I know there's always gonna be those types of guys. I think he was one who was pretty bad for the Bills. Right, He's very bad, extremely bad, very bad for the Bills. I understand when a power five quarterback doesn't work out at a major place or a somewhat major place and they go down to play for a conference, USA school whatever, Like, okay, cool, maybe that makes more sense for them. But yeah, like I'm doing my best not to name names here, ty, I really am, but I'm not going to be specific. But it is always wild to me when I see, like, oh, man, this guy ended up here. What do they think they're getting? What do they really think? Like, you're just getting an emergency second half guy if the starter goes down. I guess, so, I guess that's what it is. I guess it's that confidence that, Okay, it didn't work out here. Maybe there were reasons. Maybe it's an injury thing. Maybe he had a really bad breakup right before the season. His head wasn't in the game, but now he looks like he's ready for a fresh start. That's I think the hope. But man, yeah, year over year, as more guys leave, it's just wild to see the evaluation when there's so much tape out there.
Speaker 2: The hope is that these guys blow up and that they end up contributing as a starter, But there's probably a depth angle as well, you know, the flip side. I guess the counter argument having all that tape, is you kind of do know what you're getting. And sure, for some coaches, I'll admit it's not like these guys are transferring because they want to be backups, right, And I'm sure no coach would admit to that either. But having more tape on some of these kids does give you a sense for what you got and if you need depth, perhaps that's one way to plug the gap.
Speaker 1: It's going to be fascinating with the class of now what twenty twenty one having not made official visits, A lot of them made on official visits, and of course quarterbacks commit earlier on in the cycle, so potentially these guys have been on a number of campuses and coaches have been to camps or whatever, have hosted them at camps and have seen these guys throw. We have seen quarterback movement in a way that we've never seen, and just general player transferring in ways that we haven't seen. Did you see that more and more schools are bringing in heads of transfer recruiting. Yeah, not just ordinary you know, high school JC whatever, just like who are we like? I guess it's ear to the ground talking to high school coaches seven on seven, coaches like, wow, this guy just got benched, and you know he's open to a fresh start somewhere new like that. And I don't even say any of this in any sort of malicious way, like it just sort of seems like a reality, a necessary reality now now.
Speaker 2: Well, as Andy Staples said last week on the show, the emergence of a new transfer rule is sure coinciding with the nil legislation, which is going to hit in July, and it probably puts us in a position as college football fans to see some really weird stuff that maybe we don't even.
Speaker 1: Know about quite yet.
Speaker 2: So his point all along was that the transfer rule may actually be the bigger deal.
Speaker 1: And to your point.
Speaker 2: Here, Director of Transfer Recruiting, my guess is you'll see more of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, you're absolutely gonna see more. I'm just I wonder what offenses look like moving forward. It's this very strange feeling that I have where I'm like, man, I am, I am pro players finding their best fit. But at the same time, if you're in a system for two three years and then you're going to a new school, you're getting used to a new campus and a new whatever, a new apartment, like everything is new and you're thrust into a starting job like it's its own difficulties, Like for every you know, Jalen Hurts thriving at Oklahoma after you know, proving himself to be a very good quarterback at Alabama, but you know there's a younger guy who has overtaken him Intua. For all of those, it's just like hoping for the best, going somewhere new and hoping you pick up an offense, hoping you click with receivers, Hope you click with an offensive coordinator, Hope personal stuff doesn't get in the way because you have a girlfriend back at your first school, and now you're across the country from your parents and they can't come to see your games. And that's very stric Like I wonder what it's like, And maybe that's a show we can do. What it's like transferring after two, three, four years where you're starting over from scratch in terms of learning how to lead a team. More importantly, are.
Speaker 2: You sure that the feeling that you're getting is not just too much colbrew? Because I know you've been hitting that pretty hard tie over the last.
Speaker 1: Time cold brew. So I got a new grinder. I got a new grinder, and it's it does a fantastic job because you want a courser grind with coldbrew because it sits in it for a long time, so you don't need to immediately extract everything from the beans. I don't do colbrew, you know, I know, I know you don't. It's a lot. It's all the sun in my heart. I don't like it. So I'm learning here. Yeah. No, I'm only drinking one cup of cold brew a day. It just happens to be It happens to be pretty explosive. So I mean, I also had chocolate cake right before the show. I just I honestly think, like what Like Tate Martel is an example where he has an incredible amount of natural talent, but it hasn't worked out for him. And what is it like bouncing we had Tate four Cia, anybody named Tate or any McCaffrey other than Christian. What is it like to go to a place with a good amount of hype, have it not work out for whatever reason, and then be thrust into a almost savior role. Yeah, thrust hi, I'll say it. No, I don't know. No, It's fascinating. It's like we think about things in a very professional sports free agent mindset, And it just feels so much different when you're nineteen and just trying to figure out the world rather than you're twenty nine and you get traded and you're going to be a stretch for And it's fine, you can pick up a new NBA offense, if you can hit a three, if you can guard multiple positions, you're fine. You know you're a pro. You sign up for this. But I just, you know, I wonder what are the struggles and challenges that we're not thinking of if we just look at these players as quarterbacks or defensive tackles, Because it just it feels like there's so much more to it. All right, what else do we got here? We got time for a couple more, all right, you tell me, you have the list in front of you. What has popped out to Michigan State. Best decision making the change from Rocky Lombardi, who's now in the transfer portal, to Peyton Thorn at quarterback, Right, that's what we got. A decision.
Speaker 2: We've got Clemson from Will saying the best was giving Tony Elliott a raise. The worst was not changing the defensive strategy versus Ohio State in the second half. Not sure how much that would have affected things, but adjustments could have helped. With the question mark at the end, here's an interesting one. Okay, so thank you, will best and worst decision? Getting really good at using zoom?
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, I like that.
Speaker 2: That's a very interesting answer. Will you're good at zoom? I guess it's hard to be bad at zoom?
Speaker 1: Ty, I am on a zoom call. Anytime I'm on a zoom call, you're also on that call. To put it that way, So I'm not on that many. You're on much more because you have a job that requires that sort of communication across different countries and languages and Geneva conventions, things like that. Correct, that's right. Are you good at zoom? Have you gotten better at zoom?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think it's a thing that you get better at, per se, I've gotten more used to it.
Speaker 1: You ever attend a zoom call with a seventy seven year old tie. You can get better and you can get worse. That's fair. I'll tell you what I have lately. I have a little case of the zoom yips lately. Oh no, I have a little case of zoom yips. Happened to me again today. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: I got a new headset, and the headset's got a different configuration for the mute button. And so now I'm starting to be the guy who starts talking only to hear somebody say in my headset, we can't hear it.
Speaker 1: You must be on mute. Hmmm, Ti there, Tie, Tie, Tie you there. Yeah, God, I'm mute. Tie. That's exactly what's happening.
Speaker 2: And then, of course, you know, you always have the go to line like, oh, sorry, sorry, I was on mute.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I get a new headset.
Speaker 2: Computers acting up, A lot of computer's been acting up over the last year, but ultimately it's easier er. So I've been pretty good at avoiding that. I do have a little case of the yips right now that I'm trying to work through.
Speaker 1: Was there a worse decision than hiring Wow from Ed Orgeron in terms of coordinators this past year, in terms of available talent, strength of an opponent's offense or defense. Wherever you hired, there were some bad decisions, but LSU doing that, I know they lso improved over the course of the season somewhat, and they had, you know, a ton of injury stuff. I think they finished eightieth or something like that, so below average in terms of defensive points per drive, below average from where they were, and considering the talent level, I guess it's all relative. But yeah, considering the paycheck that he drew, that's a pretty bad one time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a That was a lot of money, Dan, Yeah, yeah, a lot of money for something that didn't really work out that well.
Speaker 1: No, Kansas not working out under less miles. That was not this past year Kevin Sumlin hired. I think that was a great decision to go in a new direction for Arizona. Yes, I agree. I thought that was a great decision. I promised, What did I say? I was going to discuss the best and worst decision was involving an edible. Yeah, please continue. Okay, if people are still listening to this very silly, weird show, I'm not super into pot and I don't know. I'm just not and that's okay, And if you are, that's cool. I'm not a big drinker. I'm not super into pot. Never been a big drug guy. Never be a big drug guy. Turn here, Okay, go ahead, I'm listening, but I don't remember when it was, and maybe we can look this up. I don't remember, though, I think it was last spring at some point because I was in Brooklyn. This was definitely in Brooklyn. And my brother said, hey, you ever have an edible? And I said, maybe once or twice. Maybe once or twice. But I I'm not as super into them because they're unpredictable because it's basically how your body metabolized. The timing of your body metabolizing the edible is how the payoff occurs. So it's unpredictable. You don't know if it to take fifteen minutes or forty eight minutes. And I remember sitting on the couch with Jody. She fell asleep, solid, baby, long, long asleep. I would never ever ever do something like that while little man was awake, let alone. I just never do this. So I popped it watching some TV. Nothing happened. I'm like, all right, well, maybe this was just a dud. And then I mean, Jody's very asleep, and all of a sudden, I start floating above the couch. I start floating on the couch. I called my dad and he's like, hey, man, enjoy it. Have yourself a night. So I'm watching TV. I'm feeling great, I'm snacking a little bit, and I was like, you know what I should do? I should call time. I should call time. Do you remember when this was? I do? I?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I don't remember when it was. I remember the call. I could probably find when it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you guys were just super supportive. You were just like you were just I remember you has turn on the Roku screensaver the fish right, hang with some fish. I just remember that. I thought that was a great That wasn't the best decision I made all year, but that was a good decision to call you and Kate saw chat. Yeah, like ten forty seven pm Eastern. Yeah, and we were thinking you caught me on the rare Friday. I say it was a Friday, that might make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was awake at that hour, which doesn't happen a whole lot lately. And I seem to remember. We talked for what felt like a good ten to fifteen minutes about the Roku screensaver and the fish there are.
Speaker 1: There is a variety of fish there are in very intense fish at that moment. Mm hmm. Yeah, No, it was a great call. I just I'm very happy with that. Not the best. The best decision I made was probably going with Jody and the solid toddler out to California when things got bad in Brooklyn last March. And then the actual best decision was probably coming out to Chicago to be closer to family during a very difficult time. I'm very glad we did that. That was the best, and so now we are here. The worst decision was when we were out in California. I said to myself, Man, I had such a good time with that edible calling Tie in Kate that a few months later I said, I'm going to pop another edible And I didn't realize that edibles can be a very differing strength and I am a weakling Tie and I pop said edible and it hit me and it was like Ray mau Luga hit me. It was a feeling that I I called a couple. I didn't call you. I don't think did I call you? I think you did call I think did I call you in May or June or whenever? That was no, it was actually early Aprils when that was Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have a full rolodex of Dan edible experiences.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in my favor blog. I took precisely two edibles in the past, let's call it eight years or something. I got both calls. I think you might have gotten both calls. And it was the worst decision I could be making up this milligram dosage. Have we been doing the show for now thirteen years and this is the first time we've talked about drugs. Probably probably okay, took us a minute to warm up, But I believe the first the Roku fish edible, I believe was a five milligram, which is not strong by any stretch. It's not the weakest, but it's not nothing crazy that I can tell. I think I was given a twenty in early April, and it was like I was watching myself freak out in bed, and I remember calling my brother in law. I remember calling some of Jody's friends. I think my brother gave me sugar water, because apparently that helps you come down. It was the clear worst decision I made in twenty twenty was to just assume all edibles are created equal as a complete novice and lightweight whoa whoa.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, it's no microwave story, but it will suffice Dan, I made it up.
Speaker 1: But it was I did make it out. I slept beautifully. I woke up and it was like that. I heard the like the Windows ninety five music greet me. It was magical. So I guess all's well, that ends well. But yeah, that was the clear worst decision I made, those phone calls, the Roku screens Screens discussion was that could have been its own podcast. That was terrific. It was and maybe this is something we do on Discord someday we probably should have. But that's okay. Me Tie seven and a half combined milligrams nineteen ninety eight, Wake Forest Way, Virginia Tech. Just something absurd, Oh my gosh. Fun. Well, look, this is fun. We're adults. It's is it legal in Pennsylvania? I have no idea. You have no idea. You live in Pennsylvania. It's it's not by scene at the moment I have known. Okay, yeah, marijuana legal, PA. Illegal for recreational use, but possession of small amounts have been decriminalized. Oh so okay, we're good. You're good. Well, fun show, Daniel very On that note.
Speaker 2: On that note, thank you so much to everybody out there for writing in for letting us know how your year went, not for your team, but for you as a person. I hope you're all doing well here as we very gradually work our way into spring. It's getting warmer out there. It's getting warmer out here. Staying light a little bit longer. Hopefully at some point in the next year, they're going to install my fence so the dog can rip around the yard.
Speaker 1: Send us your edible stories, Send us your edible stories. Yeah, you can apparently go to New Jersey. Tie Phil Murphy got it done. Okay, so you're good to go on that front.
Speaker 2: Good to go for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubensteed from myself, Tie Hill the brand. We will talk to you all next week. In the meantime, stay safe, stay happy, oh, stay healthy, stay warm and stay solid.
Speaker 1: Peace