Speaker 1: Look, maher, oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture. Yes, wow, lost cult.
Speaker 2: Ding dung lost culture restas calling, still hungover, still on the come down from awards now still Honestly, the awards went off without a hitch. They were New York's biggest night, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 1: Bo?
Speaker 3: I would say it was truly such an honor to be at the cultural epicenter of New York City, where some of the most amazing cultural events take place.
Speaker 1: Talking of course about.
Speaker 2: The Big Apple Circus, yes, of course no, but in a very real way it was last year I got overwhelmed at the end and begun to weep on stage. And this year I look over at my sister and I saw that steely facade had melted it away, and Bowen had.
Speaker 1: Begun to weep. He had begun to weep.
Speaker 3: In a way I know my heart was waking up. And all the walls came tumbling down, they really did.
Speaker 2: But wow, all the Katies, readers, publicists and finalists who came out, and I will say whether you got in and were present at the event or not, and we will address this. We just want to say thank you so much. I mean the fact that this was just a little tiny bit that we decided we'd do on the podcast, and then it became this literal event. And we'll get into the particulars of what the event entailed, because I mean, I'm still so shook by some of the stuff that happened, but just the biggest thank you and the biggest hug and uh, you know, hopefully contentual open kiss on the mouth to all of you, because this was this was an unforgettable one for sure.
Speaker 3: Definitely I would say the same.
Speaker 1: And I was just kind.
Speaker 3: Of overcome by the end of the night with how lovely it was and hearing a lot of fun stories from people about friends they made in line, reunions that happened, a lot of solo people meeting up together really really special.
Speaker 1: So thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the subject before we get into like, yeah, a little breakdown. If you couldn't get in, We're so sorry. It really did. MA can attest to this for me, for both of us, But I mean I was really really like worked up about it afterwards. At the after thing, I was like, oh God, I'm hearing about people who couldn't get in, and I feel so bad. But the fact is that in the future this will be something that truly anyone who wants to see it be a part of it can be a part of it. We'll leave it at that for now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are definitely aware of the fact now and not And I will say this is like I guess to boil it down the success of an event like this, and honestly, honestly, this podcast in general continues to surprise us. And so I think that when we say something like, well, if you come two hours early to our free event in an outdoor space, you're gonna get in, that's because we are so new to the fact where that might not be the case. And so I think that please understand that our intentions in sort of directing you guys in the way that we wanted everyone to get into the event were only with the intention of being as liberal as possible with how much time you needed and trying to over prepare you for what kind of weight would happen. And then the fact that a couple people waited a couple hours and still did not get in, I really and like, I don't want this to be the narrative about the event, because we did work so hard hard on it, and so many people did and it was so much fun. But suffice to say, if you did go to great length to be there and could not enjoy it in the way you wanted to, this is something that is certainly towards the top of our minds, and we will do things in the future to make it up to you, seriously, because we're now aware this is probably the last time we can do something.
Speaker 1: Like that in that way. Correct, But we love you down.
Speaker 2: In the words of Tomas Mato left You Down their original All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey rap.
Speaker 3: Verse, which was really beautiful, so inspired. I mean, they took the time to write a custom verse for this event, really referencing all of the listenerships, but especially saying blanketing all of you by saying you're all finalists.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you took the time to try to make it out last night, you are a finalist.
Speaker 1: You have graduated.
Speaker 2: I understand that a lot of people are saying they identify as Katie's readers, publicists, and that there's a little bit of shyness when it comes to claiming the title of finalist. But if you made your way out there and what was for a short time a drizzle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a finalist. You're a finalist. I will say that.
Speaker 3: You know, if you had fomo about this year, no matter what your reason was, if you were in town, if you couldn't get seating, it's only going to get bigger and better from now on in the future.
Speaker 1: Truly.
Speaker 3: Also, I was only comfortable really saying come a couple hours before because I'm not going to be the person I don't know about you, Matt. I'm not gonna be the person who's gonna say come, sit and wait in line for longer than the actual show itself. Like that is right at that point, Like it's almost no matter how great the show is, usually not worth it, right.
Speaker 2: I mean I guess that was not up to us, but everyone that came thought it was worth it. And the thing is like, we will continue to make it worth it going forward. And I also think there's another thing of like, you know, when this event is coming together, we have the most incredible producer.
Speaker 1: Her name is Lauren Mandel. She's gonna run so basically she's gonna run this town. I mean that's for real.
Speaker 2: And we Bowen and I in the week's leading up to the event sort of just throw things out there that we think would be fun to happen, Like, oh, would be fun if you know, the cast of Titany came and performed.
Speaker 1: It would be fun.
Speaker 2: If we could get a video from such and such and we'll get into it, and like, and if they wanted to accept the award and send in a video. People that are like objectively kind of busy right now, and if they want to take their time out and do this, like that would be cool. And then showing up and it's all actually happened that we were allowed to just be creative. Like Lauren Mandel, I almost don't even want to share her name with you, because I don't want anyone out there who's creative and like might be able to hire her to take her from us. But then again, I do want her to have all the success in the world, so I will begrudgingly share her name and talents with you. But I mean, she made the show just an eleven out of ten, and we were able to be just so joyous and preparing for it. I mean, let's just so we just recap from the top.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's becapped from the top, But I just want to post in and all the Lauren Mandel shouts and shout outs to the rest of the team, Karina Strom, Maggie Leel, Randy Silver, We love you Randy so much. Charlotte Harrison, who designed the trophies, printed out the cards, cut together so many of the designed the graphic treatment. Ryan Gainer, her fiance for editing the videos, all the videos that you saw, just did an amazing group of people. David Davin for music directing, arranging these absolute.
Speaker 2: Band the dancers had this year. That was an whole other element that was such a gag. I mean, like it was if you came last year, it was like last year, like doubled and like we will double that we promised you this one. This has now become something that we find so much joy in doing. And of course all the presenters and winners that we had in performers and everyone at Lincoln Center too.
Speaker 1: This was just the coolest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to begin from the top. We began with a performance, a Record of the Year nominee eighth World Wonder And I feel that I was able to look back at my like I don't know, thirteen fourteen year old self and say, yes, you did perform eighth World Wonder to a crowd of thousands.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, You traveled back in time in that moment you think.
Speaker 2: I just remember being young and thinking this is one of the greatest pop songs of all time and it's sort of being played on the radio. And to now have it be performed in the same show as Pam Padam America's number on the world's number one song, I mean a shout out to Kimberly Lock and please Kimberly hear us when we say you did that, You did that.
Speaker 3: Kimberly Lock, who is now? I think in her like either and I would love for her or anyone who knows hers more familiar with her correct me on this. I think she's in her like life coach slash influencer era. I'm checking out her Instagram, her socials. She's at a winery talking to camera, front facing going what's keeping you from your success? Or you know that kind of thing, And I'm like.
Speaker 1: Ah, she is. It feels right.
Speaker 3: Klo As she was called season two of American Idol. Oh yeah, we called her Kalo. She seemed to Gosh and you and I were talking about this right, Like that was a time in pop culture when, especially an American Idol where it was but they wear glasses. They have so much talent, but they wear glasses. That was Klay ak And and Kimberly Walk in the same season.
Speaker 2: I mean literally, what the theme of that just to sort of leave the cultural awards behind for a second and to sort of talk about more pertinent things like season two of American Idol and its themes. What the theme I remember in the beginning of American Idol Season two was it was literally should you look like a pop star? Or should you sound like an amazing singer? And basically what that meant was they had the Frumps and they had the like SENI you know, like tank top wearing pop star must people, you know what I mean. And I remember the whole bit was like Kimberly Lock came in and like a high waisted jean and a black T shirt and like her glasses and her hair up and sang somewhere over the rainbow. And then slowly as the season went by, as she, Clay and Ruben stayed in the competition and the Frumps began to win.
Speaker 1: They blew out her hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they took her glasses off, they put the contacts in. They gave Clay Aiken that ridiculous gay red jacket that he wore during when he sang Greece. We've talked about this, yes, yea. But they started to sex them up. They started to give Clay Akon like Ryan Seacrests hair. They gave Reuben this thing where he would wear like a different designer jersey with his area code on it. Like they sex them up a bit. Yeah, and then they were the top three. Okay, so kimberly Lock did that.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, We sang eighth World Wonder. I mean I did travel back in time for a moment too, Like just listening to that song in my mom's minivan on the way to like piano lessons or something like that was a moment. And then gosh we opened the show. We took some census work and asked what the breakdown was among the Katies' readers, publicists, finalists, and.
Speaker 1: The Katies really did respond. They responded in great numbers. It felt like a big Katie crowd.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Interesting. I feel like Steve Cornaki just kind of tracking the shifts and the demographics and all that, and then oh yeah, we thanked our sponsor. They didn't really sponsor the event, but we just did a little nod to Matt's famous reading of the Craft Back and Cheese ad.
Speaker 1: Of course, that is a reading we both did.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I was just there to like give some some spice, but you were the meal.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Here's a glimpse behind the curtain when it comes to ads. Sometimes an AD will reach out and they'll say things like here's the copy, and then they'll say something like add some personal experience and so bone and I will rotate the copy. And then if you're the unlucky one that day, you get to be the one that adds quote unquote personal experience with whatever the product is. And you may not even have much personal experience.
Speaker 3: And whether or not you do, ninety nine percent of the time you just kind of lurched through it and you're like, I don't know what to say, But Matt, something, talk about what spirit moved you when you recorded that amazing, amazing account.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that Kraft Mac and Cheese tried to do this thing in sending us the ad where they said, let's connect culture and Craft mac and cheese. So the line what's the best culture to enjoy while consuming a bowl of Kraft mac and cheese? That was written copy and you asked me that, and for some reason I just said sex and the City. And then I believe it was the connection between the insatiable nature of Samantha Jones and how hard all the way I can personally get. Yeah, I did say all the women. I think that's really sort of form met opportunity there. Yeah, And I sort of just went with it. I went with a carnal desire for Kraft mac and cheese, and that's sort of like just a glimpse into how that process came to be, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And then we just passed the ball back and forth.
Speaker 2: Once you get horny for Kraft mac and cheese, it's actually incredibly hard to stop yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh, because also what was happening was the finish line was we had to like land on you know, in doing a bowl of Craft mac and cheese, is doing something for yourself, especially in a world that tells you you can't like that was I think that was mostly written copy as well. It was so you really built the bridge to that idea by throwing sex in the city in there, and it all works, and it all it feels like a different movement, It feels like a different act in the play, the screenplay, all of it. And so, gosh, what a huge success that is. And you really did that well.
Speaker 2: When I knew that, we were sort of because the Cultural Awards, of course, it honors culture that that is in all of space and time. You know, we're we're talking about best lunch, We're talking about best fish, We're talking about.
Speaker 1: You know, so many of these things greater. But also you do want to honor the current year. And so I felt like we couldn't commemorate this year of Lost Coach without nodding to yes, the Kraft Mac and Cheese, because I believe that culture is commerce. I do, and I knew that if there was something that elevated our podcast this year, it was the way that the Kraft Mac and Cheese at impacted. That's when I knew we had done something here, you know what I mean. We've been doing it for gosh gosh.
Speaker 2: Seven plus years at this point, and the only time I knew we had really done something here is when I saw readers Katie's publicistm finalists really reciting and responding to the Kraft mac and cheese at and I just knew that their numbers saw a bump. That's when I said, I think we're really doing something here with lost Coach.
Speaker 3: And yet I will be honest, we haven't heard a peep from Craft.
Speaker 1: It hurts. It hurts, that's all. We'll say. It hurts. We would have loved to hear from you, that's all.
Speaker 2: Because you know what, we would have loved to hear from you, because guess maybe you would have earned some nominations because you know what.
Speaker 1: Oreo Cookies. They were really.
Speaker 2: Grateful for their nominations and they left a huge winner.
Speaker 3: They left a huge winner because they were And I hate that we're sort of, you know, perpetuating this notion that like the more you engage in campaign with an award's body, the more they're rewarded. But you know, that is just how the that's just how the world works. And Oreo engaged with us and the publicists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, I mean they're called publicists for a reason. I mean we say it here, like, first of all, let's just say this, just pull the curtain back.
Speaker 1: See the man behind it. This is a business. Okay, this is a business we wouldn't have for your consideration. Ads. Let me underline that word, ads, if this wasn't a business. Okay, you got to pay to play, baby.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, look, we're not above pay to play.
Speaker 1: You've known this all along. Secretly, I am very naive, and I am learning things about this industry that are a little ugly to me. Necessarily sucking cock for the Emmy this year. Okay, you're heard it here. First.
Speaker 3: I think that's all I'm doing for the Emmys this year because I'm not really getting much play elsewhere.
Speaker 1: In just weeks, we'll know. Yeah, And then we did.
Speaker 3: We reintroduced miss culturistaf of course. Oh yes, Patty Harrison came out. We were so glad she was able to join us. We made the trophy four ounces lighter this year so that she could carry them with more ease. And yes, she had no issue carrying the trophies this year at all. But she did threaten us with hate speech. She said she was starting she was working in a nonprofit space with a lot of you know thinkers, and in honor of five months, she says that the sort of the big mission statement of this of this organization is gay hate speech.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to stop gay people.
Speaker 2: She said, she wanted to stop gay behaviors, you know, just before I went on stage, so another peek behind the curtain. Bow started on stage right and I started on stage right, so we could sort of meet in the middle for eighth Well Wonder. So we actually weren't even speaking before the show. We actually barely even spoke before the show. We really only the only first words we said to each other were the beginning lyrics of eighth World Wonder. You know, we communicated through song. But so sort of on stage left, Patty was sort of work shopping a phrase for her nonprofit, and she was saying things like she's like, I want to make America good, like how do we make America good once more?
Speaker 1: And I was like, Patty, I can't.
Speaker 2: You're dancing around something very dangerous here, and I said I have to go sing, And then I went out and sang with you.
Speaker 1: The whole time.
Speaker 2: I was worried that she would get out on stage and start to spew hate speech, and then she did. So we sent her off the stage and said, you know what, just do what we told you to come here to do just hand out the awards.
Speaker 3: The awards, and honestly we're you know, obviously we're modeling Miss culture Sta after Miss Golden Globe, and that's usually a child of an actor, and that is like, I mean, we were just doing nepo babies. We were just parading them out like a year after year. By the way our iphspa, I.
Speaker 1: Mean that is it had to happen. So what a fall from grace truly, truly, truly what a fall.
Speaker 3: But we're trying to sort of subvert this whole weird moment we're in with nepotism and how to handle it. And we brought in our friend, Patty. She's not related to us, but she's our friend, which is a degree away from family relation. And it's still I don't think I don't think we solved it. I think some harm was still done. That being said, we'll get for another chance. Yeah, Patty will return as Missulchriesta for as long as she wants to. And speaking of awards, we did pass out the first award, which was kind of greeting, Yes, kind of greeting, was presented by Joe Firestone with help from professional actor from Netflix's upcoming Glamorous and the film Fire Island, Zane Phillip.
Speaker 1: The Extraordinary Zane Phillips, the.
Speaker 2: Extraordinary talented Zane Phillips joined with the actress and star Joe Fireson to present kindest greeting, and he actually acted out the greetings, which I think made elevated it. It really elevated it, just to see just how kind the greeting could feel. And I think that that really made it clear well how tight that race was. But the winner was, of course bo boneor Boo.
Speaker 3: You know, I had a thought this morning as I was for some reason, and this is true, while I was taking out the trash, I thought, we have been waiting for you, not necessarily kind. It depends on the context, because if you're relate to something and someone goes, we have been waiting for you, not kind. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know what, maybe most patronizing greeting a little bit. That's that's one where tone comes in big yeah. And sometimes tone comes in big and that's actually a real culture number eight. Sometimes tone comes in big yeah. Well, so Bonjo Boo was the winner. Bojor Buru was the winner. Him my love him.
Speaker 3: My love would have won, but I think people are a little fatigued with how often it's said, and people I think it started to like with that ubiquity. I think people are like, it doesn't mean anything. It loses it's not kind to hear him my love because I just hear it all the time.
Speaker 1: It feels like maybe three years ago a little bit, you know what I'm saying, A legacy nominee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's okay, Bonjeor boo, I love. I'm really happy for Bocher. But then we had a most memorable line from a TV show lot, a stiff competition there.
Speaker 2: I mean, this was one of the biggest categories of the night just in terms of what way it was going to go. And ultimately cook my Meat by Ego Wodhem did win, and we did have Zane act all these out again. He did an amazing job. He's extraordinary, extraordinary. Joe and Zane presented the award to Ego, who was there in person to accept, and she said in her acceptance speech, and I thought this was so beautiful. She said, cook my meat, toss my salad, and eat my ass. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I mean, if that doesn't go down in history as one of the best acceptance speeches.
Speaker 1: She looked fabulous in that pink Oh my god, she brought fashion.
Speaker 3: She brought fashion. New dog owner Ago Wodem. I mean, this woman has won, is just a winner in every way. Yes, she's got a dog, she's got an amazing summer, she's got the Lord.
Speaker 2: She's got a dog and an amazing summer. And if you have a dog in an amazing summer, you're on your way.
Speaker 1: You're on your way.
Speaker 2: We then showed some winners, and we'll tell you right now. Biggest gesture did go to Lady Gaga's Harley Quinn. Biggest flop was Tanya mcquad from The White Lotus. She went home with multiple award.
Speaker 1: Yes, have I been Miss Jester of her name.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing about Jennifer Coolidge. When she's in the first season of White Lotus, she goes mac wad and then she goes macwah and it's like a moment of comedy, right mccoyd, I believe is like how it's spelled. I don't think you can go wrong here. I think it's part of her flap.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: And mcclaw is the French pronunciation of it, and I imagine that is it's a moment of comedy, but it's a moment of character as well, for you know, Tanya, because it's like she cares a lot about where she comes from, her stock. And I apologize for mispronouncing her name. It's the cardinal rule of awards presentation. Her announcement is that people literally show up to rehearse and train and practice the names. But anyway, Tanya on If you want the full winner's list, Vulture did update their articles and the winners are bolded if you want to check that out.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean just to run through some Biggest Chester flop went to Quitara Ravace, biggest Chester flap in the Clown Square with the studios who will not give the WJF fair deal, which we still don't have. Biggest Night of Our Lives went to win a fag chees adele Las Vegas. The Melanie Lensky One for most sweetest Person went to can't remember her name, but the girl from the other night. The Freedom Award for criminal who should be free of the girls locked up at the end of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. And these were all on Vulture dot Com. I mean, so many winners. It just was an amazing evening.
Speaker 1: It was an amazing evening.
Speaker 3: Then we went into Pat Reagan presenting the first record that you're nominee on stage. Yes, he so wonderfully set up the cast of Titanic performing if you asked Me to by Celine Dion. We're talking, of course about Marlon Mindell, constantin Zulia and Carrie Saint Louis doing an amazing rendition.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean they performed if you asked me to. It was stunning.
Speaker 2: I think that Pat was right when he said, this is maybe Celian Dion's eleventh most No.
Speaker 1: That's high placement. Do you feel I think that can your Celian Dion's most known songs? Gosh, my heart will go on one.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is so hard already. I think it's all coming back to me. Now there you go, because you loved me, Beauty in the base four? Uh tell him, I'll throw that in there.
Speaker 1: You think that's five? I drove out power of love. I drove all night, take some chances taking that's eight.
Speaker 3: I mean I think there are like at least five more before if you asked me to. You know what I'm saying, we're already eight and like if you asked me to is not even coming closer here? Let me get to eleven, all right, Okay, where does my heart beat?
Speaker 1: Now? Oh god, that's the way. That's the way. It is ten, Her initiative Nature boy, okay. And then then there's also River Deep, Mountain, Her Mountain High. Of course. I mean, you know we're already just.
Speaker 2: You wow, what you know?
Speaker 1: What? So wow?
Speaker 2: Maybe when I wrote that copy up that was that was alous. I didn't say you did, honey. I'm just saying a note for myself. I should have said maybe her eighteenth most known song. And maybe that's a little rude if you.
Speaker 1: Asked me to no, but it is.
Speaker 3: It's part of the joke in the copies that Pat Reagan is saying these words, and to Pat, it's definitely the eighteenth or even the eleventh most popular song. And in the show Titaniq, it is so beautifully done.
Speaker 1: It it's amazing. It is like the showcase song. You know what I'm saying, mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I also want to say, I want I want to get out in front of this and say, if you asked me to while a record of the your nominee. We said, if you asked me to buy Celindion, I am well aware this is originally a Patty LaBelle song. Okay, I'm well aware of it. It just feels like it had a bigger cultural impact when Celendion sang it. We could debate why, and we could get into a really academic discussion as to why that happened. I am aware of its origins. If you asked me to buy Celendon via VI. The Titanique cast was why it was a Record of the Year nominee. In fact, peak behind the curtain, there may have even been another Celene Dion song that was originally a Record of the Year nominee, and.
Speaker 1: We kicked it over to the Titanicque cast and they said, can we do this song instead? And then we said yes, And that's why it's the Record of the Year nominee. I think you could confirm, well, Titanique had a Record of the year kind of year. Does that make sense? A one hundred percent? They were topical, They were top of mine all year.
Speaker 3: They were top of mine all year, and so we really just we gave them their pick and we have we have no regrets. You have no regrets as an audience. So anyway, then we had Bonnie Milligan Tony Award winner Bonnie Milligan via video. She could not join us unfortunately because she was performing in the Tony Award winning musical for Best Musical, Kimberly Kimbo. She presented the Kimberly Kimbo Award for Best Indoor Life Performance to Titanique.
Speaker 1: Beautiful extent.
Speaker 2: It was amazing just to just to be able to highlight the gay monoculture that was Titanique this year.
Speaker 1: If you were in New York and gay Titanique was monoculture.
Speaker 3: I have on good authority that there are some prominent head of sexuals who love Titany.
Speaker 1: I heard the same thing. Some people that we all know love Titany. A space for Titanique. Okay.
Speaker 2: So then we had the host of Exploration Live come out, and this was Charlie Barday and Natalie Roder Lightman, who really became fan favorites on this podcast after our episode with them, and so we knew we had to have them to come present.
Speaker 3: Not that they needed us to signal boost them at all, but I mean I think people were like, who are these two and I think they have a lot of lovely fans crossed over into our listenership and vices.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so we had them on stage to present. These were covered awards, Best Gay Guy Normal and Best Gay Guy Famous. Best Gig Go Normal was a tie. It went to a nurse and a teacher. That was an incredible moment. We had a nurse and a teacher who looked suspiciously like George Saveras and Sam Taggert up to accept the award, and I think they represented all the nurses and teachers in the crowd. I'm assuming there were many gay nurses and gay teachers in the crowd. I just have that instinct that there were.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then they presented the award for Best Gay Guy Famous, And I'm sorry, is this is a soft spot for you?
Speaker 1: Now? Is this a rough one? I was not very competitive this year in my categories. I really was. He didn't think so. No.
Speaker 3: I think I'm like, I think I needed to just sort of step away from that whole, you know, process, and I think I'm the better for it, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, Best Gay Guy Famous did go to Andy Cohen, who was to send in an acceptance speech in which he actually he vowed to be even gayer this year. He said that we made him want it to be gayer. I'm hard pressed to see how Andy Cohen could be a gayer person.
Speaker 1: Than then he currently. Actually, we were on Watch What Happens Live with him this week he was acting gayer than very gay, very gay.
Speaker 3: Some people think of him as like the gay impresario of the current pop culture, and it's so redundant, you know, gay impresario, and every impresario is gay. Every impresario works in pop culture. He is the impresario. He is the gay guy famous, the best one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, every impresario is gay. That's actually a really culture number thirty nine. Every every impresario is gay impresario. I don't think there's a gayer word. That's the gayest where there can be and the gayest thing in person you can be. And Andy Cohen is the singular impresario. Congrats to him. You are an impresario, Andy Cohen, congratulations, Congratulations to you.
Speaker 3: Another winner's package where we went through more categories. Anything you want to highlight in this batch. Man, here's the thing. Pizza Knight was a huge winner, and I knew there was a huge moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the movement rather for best Holiday Changing Day, for that to be Pizza Knight, for best Dinner to be Pizza Knight, And I just I'm really happy for everyone out there that was pelling for Pizza Knight because I think that there's a stigma around Pizza Knight. Yeah, because it can't happen every night, you know what I mean. It's like Pizza Night is a treat. Yeah, that's why it's a holiday, you know what I mean, That's why it's a holiday changing night. So for it to be both best dinner and best Holiday changing Date sort of makes it feel like, you know what, it tipped to celebration for me.
Speaker 1: And I'm just really happy.
Speaker 3: I'm really happy because this is what happens in a lot of awards, is that if someone is represented more than once in a category, if there are a multiple nominee, sometimes that works against them. It's not fun to root for them. And I think Pizza Knight never got snagged by that. I think Pizza Knight was always fun to root for.
Speaker 1: I think, let's just say this, it has not been a good week for Doja Cat. She was I mean, besides her new single, I think this is. This has been a rough one. She lost all her spies.
Speaker 2: She went home empty handed from the lost Coultusa's Culture Awards, and she was absolutely dragged to hell by Azilia Banks.
Speaker 3: I did see what Basilia said. I mean, but who among us has not been dragged by Azalea?
Speaker 1: I really await my moment.
Speaker 3: Zalia was nominated last year. No, she did insult us. She was nominated for worst insult towards us. Fucking fagus. Yes to all gay yes, yeah to.
Speaker 1: All gay people.
Speaker 2: So I guess, I guess what I'm saying is like to get individually insulted by Azilia Banks, who really is I guess a poet Laurie, you know, not to insult any of our readers, but the best reader and really the poet laureate and like the leading insult comic of our generation. To get an individual insult from her, I hope Doja can at least find something positive about that, because she does go home empty handed from the last Culturistas Culture Award. She was blanked and you know, called corny by Azilia Banks. But there's a lad at the end of the tunnel.
Speaker 3: There's an honor in being insulted by Azalia. I mean, Grint. The best thing that happened to Grimes was being told that she looked like she smelled like a roll of Nichols. I mean that, that's the top for me. You can't beat that. You can't beat that in an insult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're one hundred percent right. Also, everyone's saying that Melanie Lynsky did not go home with enough awards. She won the Shivroy Award for Best Fake American Accent. Okay, she's a last Culturistas Cultural Award winner, period period.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk about this later, about our Finalist of the Year winner, because there was a moment that we have to address.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's keep going.
Speaker 3: Oh and then finally, of course, in that package, scariest moment in history went to Hereditary.
Speaker 1: Little Diva head come off. Hereditary, Little Diva Head come off. Yeah. We had a fun celebratory moment with a cut video to heads row roll by Yeah, Yeah, yeahs and we all did the macharina, all did the macarena to it lovely sort of as a nod to the past of the Cultural Awards and also maybe even a nod to its future. Maybe we'll see the macarena employed two different kinds of songs in the future. It just shows what a malleable dance it is. You know, people talk about the step touch as being something you can do to really any song. Simple.
Speaker 2: People talk about like a body roll being like something you can do to really any music mostly R and B.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hip hop. Really you can do anything. Who says you can't do the macarena to the song heads.
Speaker 2: Will roll by the yeah yeah yeahs while yeah The clip from Hereditary plays like you can do anything. This is something I hope people felt at the end of the award show that you can do anything?
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree. What was the next award? Matt? Was this when the biggest current threat to US winners came out?
Speaker 3: We had announced George and Sam as the biggest current threat to US Award winners and so at this point we brought them on as winners Tonight. George Savera, Sam Taggert. He presented Outstanding Reality Competition Host.
Speaker 2: Yes, this was a hotly contested race, but the winner was alan coming for the traders and he was kind enough to send in a video from the woods in Scotland. And this was the scary moment in the show I felt because he really gave us traders Alan comming he was unable to accept in person, but he did send wordless twinks gagged and bound to accept the very heavy award, and they did such an amazing job that we actually kept them for the rest of the show, and we just decided, let's just keep employing these twins that Alan sent, because I was honestly, quite frankly, was afraid of what happened when we sent them back to him.
Speaker 1: I was very afraid. I was very afraid wait for Alan or for the twins.
Speaker 2: For the twins, I was like, Okay, let's make sure these twins get fed whatever that means.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't imagine where they would feed from because their mouths were taped shut.
Speaker 2: Their mouths were taped, and it sort of felt like they were under strict instruction to keep their mouths shut, literally with black tape sore.
Speaker 1: Are we just letting this happen? I think Alan can get away with anything. I really do.
Speaker 2: I think he's an international treasure and listen, a last Culture Racays Cultural Award winner, So.
Speaker 1: Congrats to him.
Speaker 2: He takes home the award for Outstanding Reality competition host and then this was a huge moment for us.
Speaker 1: Yes, because George and Sam, who, by the way, they vowed to take.
Speaker 3: Us down, were the villains of the night. I think they were the villains of the night. I think they liked that, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're sort of dark, you know, the two of them.
Speaker 2: They're sort of like evil, and they really vowed to take us down as the biggest current threat to us, and that earned booze from the audience. And I don't know how they feel about it, but yeah, they should think twice before I threaten us again.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, George is giving glasses and Sam is giving mustache, and there are some parallels there with us, and I feel like people are really they see a new way to enjoy glasses and mustache and they go, I want to enjoy this. But it's different, but it's familiar.
Speaker 2: What do they make for this, Well, there's basically they feel they've reached a maximum, We've reached critical mass. It's sort of like the multiverse, which we'll get into later, Like they're a multiverse version of us, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna get into it.
Speaker 2: But they presented the Award for Most Iconic Building our Structure to LaGuardia Airport Now and we accepted on behalf of Laguadi Airport Now as its biggest champions.
Speaker 3: I mean, and we just watched a beautiful full super cut of the new Delta terminal LaGuardia set to Glamorous by Fergie.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think that made the audience really feel like comfortable because at an award show you really are on the edge of your seat the whole time because you're sort of you know, who's gonna come out, what's this performance gonna be, Who's gonna win?
Speaker 1: I did want to give the.
Speaker 2: Audience, and I think you agreed, like a moment where they could just sit back, relax and enjoy a clip package that made them feel good. And so just to see the Delta terminal at the new La Guardia, I could see everyone sould just dropping. I could see them sort of like you know, rolling their heads to Glamorous by Fergie. It felt like, Yes, a good relaxing moment about like, you know, almost halfway through the show.
Speaker 1: And isn't it so funny because there really is nothing more glamorous than an award show. No, there's not. It was a perfect moment, perfect moment.
Speaker 3: Next up, we had another winner's package into our next Record of the Year nominee, which is pad Padam.
Speaker 2: So basically we were under the impression and like I said, Lauren Mendel, our producer, she makes amazing things happen. And we were told that Kylie Minogue was going to come perform pad Padam at the last Coultuese's Culture Awards, and.
Speaker 3: We said, but wait, Lauren, isn't she performing at Jones Beach with Deborah Hawks And isn't she just coming out to do a couple songs and then bouncing? And then Lauren goes, yes, exactly, So she's gonna we're sending a chopper. We're sending a blade chopper to Jones Beach. We're gonna blow sand and everyone's face is there, and then she's gonna hop on the copter and then come to Lincoln Center. I mean, the top of the David Deffenhall is basically a helipad. It's a flat ceiling.
Speaker 1: It made perfect sense to us and felt feasible. Yeah, but then I also did I was like I was a little I don't know, my spidy spence, my Spidey spences were going off when I noticed Patty Harrison was sort of missing, so she was misculturist, and all of a sudden she wasn't handing out the awards anymore. The twins had started handing out the awards. I said, where's Patty, where's Patty?
Speaker 2: So the dancers come out in their iconic Kylie Minogue put on red and then who's posing as Kylie Minogue? It's Patty, it's Patty, and she sang, put on put on as Kylie Minogue. Her appendix burst mid song.
Speaker 1: Twice twice, which I don't think Cavan's ever.
Speaker 2: I kind of think once your appendix burst, that's your appendix is burst. Yeah, she did sound a lot like Kylie, though, I will her appendix burst.
Speaker 3: She revealed that she's been dealing with bed bugs, and then she said and then she also was pointing out things on the stage. She was I think she was really disturbed by someone's insulin needle.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a mess. We're so sorry Kylie or sorry Patty.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think we stressed Patty out because she would have been able to really fool us into thinking it was Kylie.
Speaker 1: But I mean it was great to hear put. I mean, who's tired of that song? No way, no one, not even out figure every day.
Speaker 3: Then we had Aga Wodem come Out Winner, Ago Woldem come Ount present the two awards with the word girl in the category. This is the Ariana Matos Award for Girl You Can Do Betta Hunt, which of course went to arion O Mattox.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was kind enough to send in a gorgeous video acceptance speech wherein she reminded us that reality TV is not trash and I never thought this. Oh and if I ever did, I want to go back in time in the DeLorean and slap myself in the back of the head.
Speaker 1: It's a fool.
Speaker 3: But I think she was talking to people who there are still some holdouts, people who think that it's trash, and it's like the way scanned of all dominated the cultural conversation. Should get rid of any of that feeling like that, should put that thought to rat immediately.
Speaker 1: I want to see the Emmy nomination from Randon Bumperles. Okay, I'm saying it. Did you see that loud Did you see that FYC video that like that that thing they put together where they talked about the finale. Oh yeah, it's the producers, it's Sina Shee, it's Andy All being like just giving you and it was fascinating. No, they're they're working for it and they deserve it more than anybody.
Speaker 2: So Ego remained on stage and she presented the Alison Williams Cool Girl Award to none other than Ariana Grande, who also sent in a video speech and describe, describe what what.
Speaker 3: This legend she with this fag did so she basically cut together a reenactment to the moment in Mommy Dearest in which Joan Crawford played by Fay Dunaway wins the oscar. She runs outside with Christina with Mama Sita and you know, accepts her award in front of her adoring public. A wonderful, a wonderful moment, A deep cut of a moment from Mommy Dearist, an underappreciated, under quoted moment for Mommy Dearist. And this is what made Aaron Jackson, who was standing next to me, turn to me and go, oh, this girl is a faggot. Like this girl, Arianna just gets it.
Speaker 1: And that's all. That's what we'll say.
Speaker 3: And We all know what that means, don't we publicists and readers and katies and finalists like she is, She's one of us, and you can confirm, I can confirm. Then we move on to a winner's package, and we forgot to mention. In the last winner's package. It ended with Kate Blanchette winning the award for the Katelynchett Award for Good Acting and the reaction to her face. I mean, it was unmistakable. Everyone knew what was happening. It was Kate in her home, just elated at the win and confetti everywhere. Her kid's throwing confetti from the banisters. You can see from the corner of your eye, and this is Kate Blanchette, just win us. Because she's saying, I've known all along how ridiculous these award shows are, and she's had to play the game and do the drag. But this is a moment for her to be like, let me just give you two seconds of silliness and stupidity, and I'm out.
Speaker 1: We did. We will say we did write her copy to say. I think she was like, no, let me just do my own thing, and we honor that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I mean, I wouldn't change a thing. The fact that she allowed her home to get messy with confetti.
Speaker 1: For us ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, what more could you want? That woman allowed her home to be covered in little pieces of paper for us, for us, Thank you. So the winners this winner's package again go to Vulture dot com and we'll also post the winners. Ended with the song Breathe by Faith Hill winning the Santa Award for being unforgettable, and that led into what I think, yet again, was my favorite moment of the night personally. Last year, my favorite moment of the night was performing Driver's License in four part Harmony with Josh Sharp and Aaron Jackson and my sister Boon and Yang, and we were able to perform Record of the Year nominee Breathe in sheets that were ordered off Amazon that were a nod to the music video the Breathe video by Faith Hill. And I have to say I disappeared into the moment you did, and I just allowed no, we all did. I just allowed myself to enjoy singing Breathe in a satin sheet so much so that I absolutely launched a belt in harmony too early in the clear when we were not supposed to do that.
Speaker 1: And I wouldn't change a thing, Baby, all we need is just to be You were caught up in the touch. I was caught up in the touch.
Speaker 2: I think I was so because before so peak behind the curtain. Wow, a third peak behind the curtain.
Speaker 1: Crazy, this is the whole point of the episode.
Speaker 2: So we're rehearsing this song beforehand, and we're all sort of standing sagment on stage singing the song, which is, you know, not on common for a first run through. Okay, right, and then I send my note is we got to do a lyrics pass? Yeah, And then my second notice use the fabric, because why are we here if we're not going to use the fabric? Then lo and behold. During the formance, I'm too into using the fabric, and I lost the place in the song and launched a belt in harmony too early in the clear, and I felt sure I deserved that one.
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: I think it was a perfect moment because it earmarks that whole number for you, and I was right there with you. I was very present in that moment. I literally remember, just walk out there, feel the wind on your face.
Speaker 1: Oh, and that's all you have to do in this moment.
Speaker 3: What an amazing song. That's an amazing song. I mean, it's a song that does not need a bridge because it doesn't have one, because it doesn't need one. And the sheets I thought were a really nice, lovely little thing that we decided on last minute because we were Matt and I were watching the video on what was it, Thursday, Yeah, two days before the awards, and we were like, wow, this video a so nineteen ninety nine, so perfect, love it timeless in a way, and then we went look at Faith Hill freshly fucked on that bed, covered up in that sheet, wearing just the sheet, just like centrally singing about this love of hers Tim.
Speaker 1: We said one of the sheets. We said, what do we think? What are we thinking? What are we thinking?
Speaker 3: Because you know what the video for this kiss, where she's on flowers and shit popping out of sunflowers or whatever, she's cute, it's good, breathe is I think her best acting moment in a music video, and it laid the groundwork for eighteen thirty three for her Yellowstone prequel show with Tim McGraw.
Speaker 1: That's all I'll say.
Speaker 2: She's apparently a slay she's apparently she's a sleigh on one of the biggest television shows in the country, which you could.
Speaker 1: Never tell us that. Sorry eighty three, so you were fifty years off. I'm sorry, yes, and in a lot of respects, I am, yes, old soul, old soul. We always say Bowen Yang should have been bored in the seventies. Uh wrong decade. But yeah, we said we got to get the sheets.
Speaker 2: So happy we did and added a different texture literally, and then we closed the song down and they didn't know we were doing this, but we kept Josh and Aaron on stage and we said, not only are you are sisters, but you are inspirations to us. You were inspiration to the community, and that's why we award you when we honor you with the Diplo Award for LGBTQ.
Speaker 1: And they beat out a lot of people.
Speaker 3: They beat out Rapel's Drag Race All Stars, they beat out Poppy Juice. I saw Oscar Nier at Bubble d later that night. They were performing at Knockdown Center for that Pitchwork party and Oscar Groes did we win? And I had to look them in the eyes and say you did it, And he said okay, and I said, wow, this, You're the first person I've had to look in the eye this year and go you did not win the award.
Speaker 1: And he laughed, but so he understood. He said, Josh deserves it. Wow Aaron found dead? Aaron? No, of course, he said, Josh and Aaron sidas what I know. He said, Josh deserves Josh just woud shade No, no, no, I mean, let's earnesty zone, honesty zone. I mean Josh and Aaron got Earnesty's zone ernest which is not a word earnestness. I guess whatever Josh and Aaron are, there is no queer comedy community without Josh and Aaron. I know we've we've probably said as much in recent years in the past, but I will always say this until the rest of time, especially right before they come out with their new movie, which exciting stuff coming, exciting news coming down. Will let them announce it, not us.
Speaker 2: Yes, we actually tried hard to get a trailer for the film to be shown to the last CULTU Racist Cultural Awards, but it's just the note that was coming down was they didn't want grainy footage of the trailer out there. They wanted to be presented in all closes. This is an eight twenty four film. Okay, it's getting a proper rollout. Yeah yeah, people are going to watch for the first time on real off of the phone.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I'm saying. As much as I wanted this to be a gay cinemacn it just couldn't be. It made sense to us. But then, you know, we just loved Joshaniaron so much. Just perfect comedians, perfect people. I mean, they really still bring in so many new faces into the folds, Like I meet so many people through them still, and it's just really lovely what they've cultivated and anything that we do that resembles that is just our way of sort of paying it forward.
Speaker 2: That made them the perfect people to present the award for Finalists of the Year exactly. And this was hotly contested. I mean, all five of these finalists could have walked away with the award, but Darcy Cardin was the winner of Finalist of the Year. She took to the stage to a standing ovation cute. She joined Josh and Aaron, and she accepted the award. She had the crowd, one of whom was very upset to see Melanie Lynsky lose. They were someone who screamed when Darcy was announced as the winner that Melanie Lynsky was robbed, and Darcy took to the stage and she acknowledged this. She acknowledged this, and she said a highlight of her own life was hearing Melanie Lynsky pronounced the name Darcy Cardon. And then she led the crowd in a pronunciation of a key week Darcy Cotton. And that was another cathartic highlight moment of the show. And then she kept off her acceptance speech by reciting I don't think so, honey, going to church on Sundays and Wednesdays with Aaron Jackson and Josh Aaron Jackson, of course, the originator of that and a Lost Culture Recess Cultural Award winner the year prior for best I don't think so honey of all time for that, I don't think so honey. The crowd all did it together, and it was only then that we were able to announce the Muna Award for Hottest Queer.
Speaker 3: Of course, the nominees were Katie Muna, Naomi Muna, Joe Muna, fans of Muna, and Matt Omer.
Speaker 2: And remember this was the queerest moment in New York City last night, Even though boy Genius had a concert, and even though just to the east of the city, Kylie Minogan Deborah Coxs were performing at a beach full of gays.
Speaker 3: Even though Tanasche was slaying with backup dancers at Knockdown Center, one of the gayest venues.
Speaker 2: Right this was the gayest moment in New York because Darcy Cardon's star of A League of their Own, a gay show, was presenting the MUNA Award for Hottest Queer to fans of MUNA alongside Josh Arp and Aaron Jackson. And accepting the award were Katie, Joe and Naomi from MUNA.
Speaker 1: That was the fun and littest surprise.
Speaker 3: We kept that one under wraps for y'all, but of course some people clocked them entering the premises. Lovely, no problem, and they were so nice to join us. They were just at Bonnaroo the day before, I mean, come on, and we were so so so happy that they came.
Speaker 2: Real chemic having big and Darcy Oh yeah, I mean that kiss that they all shared was Bugini's found dead.
Speaker 1: Brittany Madonna found dead, and Christina found dead one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent, so that went down. Then we had Pat came out one last time to present the Record of the Year nominee All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carry. It was performed by Fire Islands, Nick Adams and Tomas Mattos, who, as we said, tore it up. This was one of the best performances of the night in a night that was already stacked. I mean this, All I Want for Christmas is You. It's here to stay, It's here to stay.
Speaker 3: And I have to say, there is something about listening to a Christmas song sung live in June that really, it really is a new feeling. It's something I've never quite experienced before, and I did not expect.
Speaker 1: To love it so much. It was a get up on your feet moment.
Speaker 2: I mean, the vocals were together, it was giving Broadway choreol, it was given chemistry. We were saying, Nick and Thomas, take it on the road or take it to the bedroom, honey, either way, We're happy.
Speaker 1: Either way. I'm happy to think about it. Either way, I have I have a boner. Either way. I'm erect. I'm erect. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then we had a lovely moment where we rolled a beautifully edited package where we had you guys send in videos of your moments that made you say cultures for you. We always want to know and the thing is that, like you know, we can't. I just always want to individually pull people on, like what their moment is like. And we always hear from people, Oh, I know exactly what my answer would be, and this was a platform for that. So many lovely answers, a lot of common answers, a lot of spice girls answers.
Speaker 1: A lot of spice girls.
Speaker 3: I think the beautiful poetic way to close that package that was someone mentioning Marion Courtyard's Oscar speech being a moment and you know, nice little way to ease us back into the awards proceedings of the night, which were capped off by Sarah Sherman and Celestium coming out to present.
Speaker 1: Not nominated that evening, not nominated that evening, the only presenter to them next.
Speaker 2: Year, the only unnominated presenters. But you know, good luck to Sarah and Celeste both next year. Hopefully, hopefully they.
Speaker 3: Were presenting for Album of the Year. We're hugely contested category. You of course had Renaissance Midnights Prism by Katy Perry Chapel Ron's album when it comes out.
Speaker 1: And then what was the fifth one.
Speaker 2: It was the twenty twenty two original probably recording of Into the ward Woods. Yes, yes, and Chapel Roan did take it home for an album that we have not even heard yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is huge, which is huge.
Speaker 3: And then Chapel was nice enough to send in a video acceptance from London International International. She said, I'm so honored to win this award considering that my album isn't even out yet. Clay and really really Good, really Good didn't really care about the fact that the album wasn't out, just went I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Finalist behavior, and that's confidence. That's finalist behavior, that's confidence. She of course was a Finalist of the Year nominee. You watch this space for next year. I mean, we've all got our eyes on Chapel. The album comes out in September, and listen to red Wine, super and Nova.
Speaker 3: Oh excellent, perfect pop song. And then we have a Record of the Year, the biggest award of the night. Oh wow, I get emotional watching them. I'll get announced at the same time. I go, we really have seen all these songs be performed tonight, haven't we.
Speaker 2: We really did watch and I think that Sarah and Celeste were so right when they said that not every song matters this year, and the pieces of musical art that we had seen that night were examples of music that we need now more than ever. And when the winner was announced and it was Pa Paam, all I could say was Puda.
Speaker 3: And we were so honored to present it ourselves to Kylie, who, of course was Patty who said in her trademark Australian accent that all her life she had been told that she would never want to or.
Speaker 1: Something to that effect, and look at her. Yeah, she's an award winner.
Speaker 2: So proud of Kylie, so proud of the entire queer community for lifting up that song. There were no guarantees thirty days ago when it was released that it would run Record of the Year.
Speaker 1: Okay, there were no guarantees.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to say something and I'm not calling anyone out, but I remember she announced this single, she announced the album being called Tension, And then there are a couple of gays where like, god, do you see the new Kylie album announcement? It looks awful, and I'm like, oh, you don't know what you're saying. Clearly not a Kylie fan, And I'm like, just do wait. But I even did not say that from a place of like anticipating that put On put On, the lead single off this album would be a global phenomenon.
Speaker 1: Let's just say something right now. There's something in the air right now. Kylie's album is called Tension. Kelly's album is called Chemistry. We need a third science. We need we need a third science. Yeah, we need bio.
Speaker 3: Bio, we need Andrew Chronology. We need a pop Gurley to come out with an album called Endo Chronology.
Speaker 1: Yes, period. Who is it going to be? Charlie? We put it to you, Charlie, it is going to be Charlie. No, no, no, no, no, no. End of chronology, Like who could it be? Interesting? It could be anyone. We put it to you. We put it to you. Let us know which.
Speaker 2: And we asked the readers, the katies and publicis as the finalists, make the album mark which pop girley do you want to see with an album called Endo Chronology? Pitch it to us by creating the album art. The Record of the Year was then performed by the entire cast of the show, and we.
Speaker 1: Tearfully, joyously celebrated everyone that had come, and we closed the night at two different places.
Speaker 2: Really, Bowen, I guess you went to Bubble Tea. I ended up at Flaming Saddles where Jody Benson, the original area was there celebrating her daughter's birthday. And I went up to her, and I was so drunk at this point, and I said these words. I said this, it is an honor to even be around you. You gave us a gift forever.
Speaker 1: And then how did she receive that? She said, thank you, it's my daughter's birthday. I said, yes, it is. I just wanted to come say hello.
Speaker 3: I mean, I take your daughter, to take your daughter to Flaming Saddles at what it must have been one a in the morning.
Speaker 1: Jody, I always thought, Jody legend. Here's my thing.
Speaker 3: I had mischaracterized Jody in my head. I went Tody Benson, like, daughters start doing like fun. Christian music wasn't crazy for you on Broadway? Of course was Ariel.
Speaker 1: I was like, I think she's I think she's a wholesome girl. I think she's wholesome, maybe even like socially politically conservative in whatever way, Like, no problem for this woman to bring her daughter and her daughter's friends out to flaming saddles at two am on a Saturday night. It was two thirty in the morning and there were no signs of stopping.
Speaker 2: Let's just say this, like, Jody Benson outlives at Rogers in terms of being out.
Speaker 3: Oh, me in Hell's kitchen and me period, all of us. Jody Benson, my God, and this moment for her, I mean, the Little Mermaid. I still have not seen the live action. I feel like this is the thing with all these live action remix is that like across the board, it's like you can't touch the original. And Jody, I think, can now come on. What's the rest of her life going. Nothing will beat the thing that I helped me. I'm sure she doesn't feel this way really, but I'm like, I know, I bet she does. That's kind of what I was saying to her. I was like, you know what, it's an honoratavy around you. You gave us a gift forever. And I meant every single word I said, one thousand percent. That is a song that makes you go I can't think of anything better. I mean, Howard Ashmann and I don't think so, honey Disney for really fucking sanitizing that documentary, because I needed to know about this man and the way he moved through the world as like a fucking gay radical like I fuck okay, Like yeah, let me like be a gay man who is not just some like wholesome little pencil pusher. You know, where's the biopic? Where's the biopech where is the Ben Platt biopic?
Speaker 1: We're getting it. That's what I want to see. I want to see it.
Speaker 2: Movement start the movement. Who plays Allan Oh? I don't know Jonah Hill, Jonahill. I always want to involved jo Hill.
Speaker 1: I always want to involve John We love Jonah I. I have to say that was the last Countures Cultural Awards.
Speaker 2: They were an absolute barn burner, and we hope that if you were not able to live them in person, that this recap helped you live them in podcast form.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean what we did, and I said this via tweet. I will apologize personally because I did say the words you will be fine if you you know, come a couple hours before I over promised on the likelihood of getting a seat. But what we can promise now is that it will only be bigger and better in the future, something that everyone can be involved and everyone can engage with. And that's on promise, and that's on promise. And we love you so much. Thank you for coming, thank you for celebrating with us, and our wards season is over. Publicists, you can put your hats away. Yeah, just rest ress. Let us do some work right now.
Speaker 1: As we do. I don't think so honey.
Speaker 2: This is our sixty second segment that we do on every single episode of this podcast, where we rant and rave against something in pop culture. I'm gonna leave the award space, I'm gonna leave the lccas behind. I'm gonna do something else. I read a news item on the Business this morning, and I feel it's time to say something.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is Matt Rogers. I don't think so honey. As time starts now, I don't think so honey. The multiverse, it's a wrap stop it. We did it.
Speaker 2: I don't think so honey that you can do it better. The Flash didn't do as well as they thought it was going to do, spite them really trying to like cram it down our throats that the EZRA Miller of it all was gonna be worth it, that like, at the end of the day, we will really wanted to see them do this, that the movie was actually quote unquote good. No, you guys, I'm sorry. All of these movies feel the same. They really really really do. And I think that you look no further than the receipts as to why people aren't going to these anymore superhero movies. We have reached critical mass, We are at saturation. We need either a five year break or a total total reboot fucking films. Will we get them? No, because you don't fucking get it. If you run a studio, you clearly do not fucking get it. And it's just gonna keep being diminishing returns until you, I guess, at some point get fired or do I don't think so, honey. The multiverse, it was done with fucking everything ever, all at once.
Speaker 1: Now it's over, and.
Speaker 3: That's one minute. It really was done with everything everywhere. Because I have a good authority that like the Marvel folks from the week that that movie came out in the week that like people were just sort of responding to it. It was just like the Marvel folks were scared.
Speaker 1: That's all. I mean, that's all. It's just like they were shook. And also it's like when you finally can wrap your head around the multiverse, which is difficult to do because it's confusing, especially when, like you know, these movies aren't necessarily known for their clarity. Sometimes I'll be watching I'll be a little Stone watching one of these Marvel movies, and I'll be like, wait, what the fuck is happening? What's this Stone? I don't think what exactly is going on? I don't think so, honey. Having to fucking read a Wikipedia article or like a fucking screen Rant article before or after you go into the movie, like ant Man two, it's like I should be able to go to ant Man two and leave clean, you know what I mean. I just want to leave clean. I want to leave these movies clean. Meanwhile, it's like then you do understand what happened, and then in understanding it, you realize, oh, so there's like not really stinks. These people are all alive in other multiverses, and therefore they can just kind of like whatever. Like Zoey Sldana I think has died like seventeen times in Guardians on the got again. I'm making that up, but like if it were true, you could believe it because they would do that. Was she in the recent one? I mean yeah, but she didn't remember shit because she was the other zowais sold on. It's just stupid, right rights, it's getting stupid.
Speaker 2: And I liked the Marvel movies before the Multiverse. I loved Endgame. I loved all of that. It's just like, can we just go back to fucking basics? And now the DC of it all, like the flash bombing, because they completely went in on the Multiverse, which I also can't believe because didn't Marvel just do that? Doesn't it look inherently like you're copying them? I just the whole thing is like, it's the snake eating its own tail, choking on the hotel, shitting it out, eating it again, multiverse snake. Yeah yeah, And I'm just like, let's just stop, Like, make it about tortured super villain in a world where they have their little conflicts about their identity, you know, and then there's an evil person, you know, there's an entity, yeah, and make it about that. Fucking with great power comes great responsibility.
Speaker 1: Take it back, Take it back. I don't disagree. Thank you for that. We gotta shut it down. We gotta okay, when do you have an I don't think so, honey, to do I do this one.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna bring it back to the sccas, but not about the actual awards themselves.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go. This is Bowen Yanks. I don't think so, honey. As time starts now, I don't think so, honey. Lightning delays.
Speaker 3: We were shaking in our boots the day of because there was lightning eight miles away in fucking probably central to South Jersey, Okay, And we had to clear the stage and sit in a room for like what felt like three hours, just because there was lightning in like fucking Morris Town. It's like, it has nothing to agree with us, paramus, it has nothing to do with us.
Speaker 1: Why are you making thirty seconds? Why are you taking this away from us when it has has nothing to do with us. We had planned for this. We were like, it might rain, but it'll be during the day and then we should be in the clear by like two pm. No, it was like four pm. We had to fucking sit in a.
Speaker 3: Basement fifteen seconds. It did not ruin the day thank god. And Lauren Mandel once again kept it so so so calm, managed our emotions alongside the logistics of it all seconds. But just the concept of a lightning delay for something that happens that far away ridiculous. And that's one minute, and a lighting delay took away Gaga's last night on the chromatica balts for took away her Miami show. She could not do her last show of this era that she fucking got blue balled out of. And then it ends with another moment where she gets robbed of satisfaction, of fulfillment.
Speaker 1: It's awful. I hate it.
Speaker 2: The lightning delay is, of course here for our safety, but I feel interest much. Sometimes it's within eight miles ridiculous. I said, get the mediaorologists on the phone, get let me talk to media, get me the doctor radar on the phone.
Speaker 1: Media urologists.
Speaker 2: Miss as a media rologist, I want to speak to her because I had to say within eight miles, and then get this reader's publicist, Katie's finalists that were actually at the show.
Speaker 1: Had there been lightning within eight miles and you all had been seated, you would have had to go home. We would have canceled the show. This show would have had to be canceled. I said, we got to move this inside. We have to sidestep the lightning of it and all. We can't chance that. We even had to get started about five minutes later because there was a rain delay, which we would never have known about because it wasn't raining, literally not raining. It was gas lighting to the mass. The weather was gaslighting us all day. We'd be looking at the weather app, which has not gotten better over time, and it says sunny conditions the rest of the day. Forty five minutes later, duck and cover at seven pm on eighty percent chance of thunderstorms. It's like, this is why.
Speaker 2: Biggest current threat to us included a nominee that was the fickle nature of the weather in June and New York City.
Speaker 1: And I did. I didn't know I was tempting fate. You were when I catched that one as a nominee. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I had to sit there in the basement with you while Lauren was like trying to be like, Okay, so what do you guys think about this?
Speaker 1: This? This this? I had to be like, did I do this? No, I'm gonna know you did I'm not gonna let that be the narrative.
Speaker 3: We had In Eighth World Wonder, we cut the line your loves like a summer rain watching my Dad's away, and I thought, if we would have kept it when it.
Speaker 2: Happened seven Days and seven Nights of thun Thunder, I would have been really prescient.
Speaker 1: Pertinent and prescient.
Speaker 3: Anyway, went off without a hitch. We're so happy you came. We're so sorry if you couldn't, but we will make it up to you in the future, we promise, And we end every episode with the song Matt.
Speaker 1: Seven Days and seven.
Speaker 3: Nights of Thunder, Long Days and seven Nights of Sunder.
Speaker 1: Press from listen to listen to Wonder, I wonder I can really lack the legends. Bye bye, mm hmm