Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for Fallout episode six. The word Hello, nam is Jason Stephne and I'm Mersey Night and welcome back to ext Revision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comments, and pop culture. Coming to you from My Heart Podcast. We're reading you three episodes a week. Last news.
Speaker 2: Today, instead we're talking about a fallout. Can you believe it? It's going to be Fallout. We get some coupe action, some Bob action, and me and Jason are going to be breaking it all down for you.
Speaker 1: First the recap, episode six, Season two Fallout. We open in the past at a Voltech meeting where Barb is watching a optimistic hypothetical presentation about the effects of a potential nuclear strike on Los Angeles and the mainland of the United States. Headline, it's not that big a deal. You'd shrug it off, you know, hide under a door. That's what they always used to tell us when we were kids. You like put a door like you wouldn't necessarily gonna help. You know, it's not a big deal. We're Vault Tech. You're gonna be in the vault. Everything's good right down there now, worry about it. The vault Tech c suite has flagged one issue with the Vaultech hardware, and that is the water chips, the water filtration chips of which overseer Betty has been having such a hard time with. They have a thirty percent fail rate. But good news, they already know which chips are gonna fail, soh which leads me, why don't they just get rid of the ones that we're going to fail and then make more and then imagine whatever. They already know which chips are going to fail, so they can actually decide for the future which vault will in the future run out of water. Meanwhile, corporations are terrible. It's crazy terrible. Meanwhile, because of more good news, because of Vautech's high tech and highly advanced alert system, the company is actually going to be able to get their highest paying customers into the vault more efficiently and more quickly. So don't worry, guys about the nuclear holocausts. It's actually gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: You'll be okay, and your Amazon Prime will get you in that quicker than anyone else. But don't worry. It's just before you get in you're gonna find out some more, a little bit more fake Bob House time. We're getting some more Bob House time, but it's fake Bob House time. Hank is in there sitting notes, and we see fake Bob presenting the Automated Man product aka as we know it will be the rob Co Mind Control Chip. Bob is basically like, hey, cold fusion, ColdFusion. You gotta give me the ColdFusion. I need it so I can get my shit in Vegas going. I need the cold fusion. Oh, it's gonna go find Meanwhile, Bob mission going bad, and then the past boom. We're out of it for now, but we're gonna go back and learn some big stuff in the present. Well, the gul is still stuck on that pole. Remember that I loved that opening. He's still there. He's rotting, the guts are coming out, giant flagpoles sticking out of his guts. And of course the new Vegas citizens just could not care less. They don't give a shit. Who's this guy? Dog Meat shows up because that's Man's best friends, their business. They don't care. They're like, why it doesn't matter? So Google basically like, hey, dog Meat ever wanted to be like a drug dealer, Can you get me these medicine vials over there? And then I won't turn into a ghoul and he passes out into blackness and we don't see anything else.
Speaker 1: I will. I'm disappointed in dog Meat this season. There's a dog Meat is kind of just running away and not doing much.
Speaker 2: And that's how it would be in the game. Right in the.
Speaker 1: Game, dog meat has been I'm not the dog meat is not your best companion, but dog meat is there for you. Dog Meat will carry extra junk and gear if you need dog meat to do that. Dog Meat will attack. Dog Meat will help you. Dog Meat in the in the in the show, not not doing very much and it's upsetting to me. We go back to Vegas, we go back to the recollection of the Summit. Cooper is upset. He's in the hotel room. He's asked bar Blake, were you always a monster or did you just become a Oh what? He's like, I know that you plan to nuke the world. You're gonna drop the fucking bomb.
Speaker 2: Fun hotel conversation, pillow talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Meanwhile, Lucy wakes up all healed up in a nice vault bed. Clearly in the vault tech subterranean headquarters under New Vegas that her father Hank, has been lurking in and working in for low these past weeks. She sneaks out. She finds a room with all these mind controlled you know, machine man robo chip people in there, and they're all working in this very kind of pluribus type high ho high ho off to work we go type choreography. Hank is there and you know, they they chat. He's preparing a meal for her. He's like, hey, remember back of the well, you were gonna read all quite on the Western Front, and we never talked about it. And she's like, oh, well, I am. You know, I didn't finish it. Also, I found the book, you know, and the and the depiction of soulless, remorseless warfare that destroys everything beautiful about humanity very disturbing, and hands like, oh, let's talk about it more. He's like, I found, uh, you know, I also found it troubling that it seemed like the soldiers were fighting for nothing. And you know what that reminds me of life on the surface, nothing like life in a vault where life has meaning.
Speaker 2: Oh, life has meaning in the vault. Lucy's like absolutely fucking not. And just like Jabs, a pair of sys is his throat, which I love. I have to say I think that Lucy Hank Costing is so good in this show because we get this great moment where Hank is just completely nonplus, like he believes still that he can get Lucy on his side, and she says, you know, I'm gonna take you to justice. She sort of starts to march him out, and he's like, no, you got to understand, like I did it for you. I love you. You're my special little girl. And and by the way, I'm making the world a better place. No one will be fighting each other anymore. Everyone's gonna get along, Like please, just just come with me, and she's like no, and then we slam over to area fifty one, where we see Thaddeus in the stock coming out of the stolen power armor, one of my favorite scenes with him pretending that he was, you know, the very fancy Undaddius like Commonwealth power armor. Max stays at the fusion cores and Daddius is like, fuck it, we're gonna sell it. We can do it. This is great and Max is like.
Speaker 1: No, I want to save the world.
Speaker 2: My guy like, and Daddius is like, oh, we could just sell it and like live happily with these ghoul children that you saved. The discussion continues by a campfire, and honestly, you can really see that this is like a true friendship in this very fucked up, messed up world of four well out. I recently chatted to Francis turn who plays Bob, and we were kind of talking about one of the reasons the show's hits is these kind of quiet character moments you get, and we get that here where Max sort of reveals that he thinks the best thing to do is give the Fusion Core to Lucy, because he thinks Lucy is a good person, and thats is like, well, wouldn't you also be a good person if you fucking grew up in the vault and had water and food and all these incredible things and safety and the idea that there were things around you. He thinks good people are really people with the means to be good, and I love that read. I think it's really interesting Max. Of course, he disagrees, and he recalls his time in Shady Sands, where there was a true community, or working class community, and he still has that inside him and wants to bring that back. And I love that it's such a good, well written interaction because they're both right. It's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are on some level both right. Max is right that you can build a community of people who are trying to do the right thing. And I think that is is us so correct in that this is a dogg eat dog world. And Shady Sands got blown up and they're gone now exactly back on the strip, it's nighttime. The ghoul is still stuck on the pole. He is thinking of his daughter, He's thinking of her somewhere alive in a cryotube. And he gin's up enough strength to like get it at the top of the bowl. And he gets to the part of the top of the flagpole that has that big ball on top of it. I don't know what that ball is called, but at the top of the flag pole. Yeah, and he's trying to now he's got to get his wound past that big ball, and he can't do it. He can't do it, and he slides back down the pole and the death claws are circling now. But then something huge approaches and with a little flick of the back of its hand knocks the top of the pole off just like Bink bink, and picks Cooper off the pole and carries them away, and it's very clearly a super mutant of some kind. The supermutans finally arrive in the game. Back in thirty three, Regges in Bread support group parties are like have reached full roaring twenties type fervor where it's like, fuck everything, who cares what's going on in the wire vault. We are eating snacks, we've got full recent, we've got soda, we've got water flowing into the soda string creating the water. It's going great. We love it. We're soaking up all the resources. Fuck everybody outside. It's great and here in this party, and that party is just popping off. When overseer Betty arrives with the cops to finally put an end to the madness, she's like snack budget gone, group dissolved, that's it, it's over. And redg then tries to negotiate, and you know, basic talking about how this is like his right as an American and all of their rights is in bred Americans, so like, you know, never stop dreaming of a better day. Where the snacks are endless and the water flows like like water. Betty reiterates that, Listen, we're running out of water like wet water. All the water in this place is in here, and you're wasting rations and there's no time for this. And then Reg launches into like basically like a Vault thirty three first type agenda where he's like, you originally for thirty one, you're a weirdo. I don't trust anybody from thirty one. You don't get the culture of thirty three, and Betty basically goes soft and let's get it, like, why did you come here with all these cops. I'm just gonna get walk the fuck away.
Speaker 2: I was trying to work out, do you think in that moment she's just trying to like stop it from blowing up, Like I don't know what her plan was, but I feel like I got to know more about what Betty's thinking because she's making some bad decision.
Speaker 1: She's a fucking she's soft, she's a freezers.
Speaker 2: Jason said, she saw be tough on crime.
Speaker 1: Bitch.
Speaker 2: Come on, Betty, you're the overseer that's a tough on crime type of name. Meanwhile, in thirty two. Oh, poor Chet. When will Check get some justice for Chet? That's what I want to know. Chet learns that Woody has gone missing after his ominous meeting with Steph that he oversaw, and then he learns that he himself. Chat is getting married to Steph tomorrow and there are flyers everywhere and he has no bloody idea. That is not the only exciting news though, because the Ghoul wakes up on a rack. Ghol girlies, I know you're going to be loving this one because he's shirtless and the supermutant played by the original inspirer of all monster fuckers everywhere, Ron Perlman. Incredible casting. They kept this one a secret. I love this so much. Yes, who obviously played Beating the Beast, Hellboy many different monsters that many women have wanted to make love to. I love that they put him in here and now he is fixing the.
Speaker 1: Ghuls, gaping Torso Hole, Thunder, the Hunchback in name of the Rose, like He's sea have lost children when it comes to like possibly deformed outcasts. No one has that corner lockdown like Ron Perlman.
Speaker 2: That man has got his niche un lock and we love him and he's like seventy and all the monster fucker girl. He still love him and they still gonna love him even more after this. So guess what great news. There's gonna be more monsters and more mutants because the reason the super mutant is helping the Goal is he tells him that there is a war coming and we need you healthy. The Supermuni explains that the Gul basically like he's now essentially one of the last of his kind. They have hunted supermutants to extinction, but he is on a mission of revenge against Bomb but a bump bump bump, the Enclave, which we have kind of been talking about in the lead up. We haven't seen yet, but we thought they might come, and he basically wants to enlist the Goal in the fight, which I think very fucking clever, honestly, because the Goal can survive anything like this man is a different level of legendary kill, a legendary kind of assassin. It makes sense to have him on this. And then we're going to be going back to New Vegas for a little emotional flashback, which I will hand back over to Jason because Bob and Coop shit is getting crazy Barbari coopshit is getting crazy.
Speaker 1: We flash back again Cooper and barb arguing about whether it's bad or good to start a nuclear war question in the bombs yourself in a false flag operation of genocidal proportions. We learn in another flashback within a flashback crazy. It's like a nesting doll of flashbacks, which I have to say, inception, Yeah, you and I are are our experienced TV and story watchers agree. I think this was a little bit of a confusing structure. I think this is a little can people follow this or people following this? Like I'm not saying that obviously audiences are very smart, but I think this is like a little this is hat within a hat, said arm hat. This is like hat inside of hat.
Speaker 2: I fully agree because people were confused by the time shifts at the beginning of Heat had rivalry, which if you were not on your phone, were easy to follow. This will baffle, but once you rewatch, it's cool because, like I was speaking to Francis, You're gonna be able to tell that on our news episode, there is an element of mystery box to Bob and Coop's relationship that we start to unravel hair but yeah, no, I agree that the I had to double check that this was a flashback within a flashback, and it was a flashback, so a flashback.
Speaker 1: We got to a flashback within a flashback. And what we learn is that earlier barbed about the way things geopolitically and potentially like with regards to corporate leadership of the United States, is going asks young Betty about the cold fusion diode, how it stored security around it, and basically clearly is plotting to steal the diode so that she could give it to Bob House and Rob Co, thus stealing the deal. The cold Fusion doll Ben from Lost shows.
Speaker 2: Up, like where did that come from?
Speaker 1: Sure, it's young or the same doctor Siggy Willzig who we saw in season one as dog Meat's original owner and a kind of I guess indentured scientist working in the in the working for the Enclave somehow doing research for the Enclave. He shows up and is like, listen, you don't know me. I'm not going to introduce myself, but you have to get the cold fusion and give it to Bob House, and you have to do it or your whole family will die. Just as I had to deliver this message to you or my entire family would die.
Speaker 2: Uh oh.
Speaker 1: And then we flash minutely forward again to the summit in Vegas, where Barb is at the meeting with fake rob House. Bob House. Fake Bob House, you know, is like, hey, the robotic man, here's this mind control chip. It's great and this you know, we will supply this in return for the cold fusion. And then Barb immediately because of this exchange, it seems that pushed her over the edge with doctor Wilzig says, you know what, what if we drop the bomb? What if we drop the bombs? What? Meanwhile, so then we flash all the way forward within the flashback back to Coop and Barb in Vegas having this argument. She's so this lets us know that this flashback within a flashback, Barb has told Cooper right, and so she's now saying, you know, I don't know who runs vall Tech, but somebody is running it secretly who I didn't. I don't know who they are, but there's some other secretive force that's behind Valltech. Coop wants to find out, but he is told that he can't stop what's coming. A little confusing within the show section there, and we hope this makes it more clear, but it's what we've basically learned is that there is some kind of secretive group or person that is running Vault Tech and making decisions that are unaccountable to anybody.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it does seem like this kind of implication here of finally getting to understand that Bob and Cooper ironically have kind of been doing the same thing in different timelines, like he is going around killing everyone for his family and she was willing to do the same. Really interesting stuff, speaking of messed up family relationships, we have Lucy marching Hank through the Vault offices where we see his very creepy mind control work office just toiling like there were workers of wastelanders. They've clearly been made up into these weird mind controlled worker drones. Hank is obviously like, their lives are so much better now. Look at them. They they don't have scars on they've got scars on their faces, but they're not trying to kill each other. And Lucy is trying to free them. She's like, hey, guys, you haven't been mind controlled, Like, please let these guys go, Hank, and a scuffle breaks out, Lucy has to kill one of the guys to stop the guy killing the other guy. Lucy, he presses the button and raises their brains and in that moment does exactly what Hank wants. And then as we see our supermutant dragging the ghoul somewhere, Cooper remembers how back in Vegas he took Hank opt his room and tried to slip him the stuff that Moldava passed him the mystery du so we know it wasn't to kill, We now know it was to drug. It works. Hank blacks out and boom.
Speaker 1: Coop then opens the case that's attached to Hank's wrist that he's been wearing for the last couple of episodes, and he finds like this weird injector thing that's actually like a it's actually like a revealer, not quite an injector. It's for taking something out of something. Barb comes back. She takes the injector, she shoots it into Hank's skull and it removes the cold fusion diale that Rais's head. So her heists is successful and she now has the coin by which she can start the nuclear war. The thing that Bob House wants so dearly this cold fusion diode. Meanwhile, back in the way sat dog Ney it carries the ghules hat to Max and Fattius, who are then led in turn to the Ghul who is recovering in some shack somewhere. Our band is getting back together, Rosie. Let's take a quick break and discuss this episode when we return. How we're back? Okay, Wow, So a lot to unpack here, because again I think an unnecessarily overly convoluted episode. But we learned some important things. One that Voltech there's some conspiracy behind Vaal Tech that and two that Barb was has been much more active in events than we understood, and that Barb might have some other secret plan that she has enacted and that is running somewhere in the background that we don't know about. And we learn that ben Lionis is in the show.
Speaker 2: We learn the on claim as a thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe the Enclave is a thing. That's right, the Enclave is a thing. So let's talk about these, Rosie. What's what your thoughts on this episode and what struck you.
Speaker 2: My biggest standout and this is why we we really work to get Francis on the show, you'll be able to go on Sunday on Saturday with news. I just really wanted to know more about Bob. I think that the show has done such a great job of building in all these really interesting characters, even the ancillary characters, you know, Betsy, people like that. Norm All these kind of stories often center around these interactions, but we don't really get to have any personal interactions with Bob. In season one, we thought she was just kind of a homemaker, and then we got that huge reveal, and then in season two, now I was like, come on, okay, I need to know what motivates her. And I love that they have just made it textually like hey, if you've been judging her, but you've been supporting Coop on his way to find her, then you basically are hypocrite. And I love when stories do something like that to us. So that really struck me. I think you're right. When I was rewatching the episode, I was thinking a lot about the flashback usage, and I think it was a way for them to not do lots of like exposition of them just talking about what happened. But I also do think it is a little bit inceptiony, like Paprikrey dream in a Dream, in a Dream in a Dream. I love Ron Palman, obviously, I love that casting. I love the suit immutants. Jason, what are your thoughts on this episode and now where do you see the last three episodes going, because we're in big third act territory here with a lot of stuff being set up.
Speaker 1: Well, my thoughts are, first of all, you know, this is I'm going to say something. I have a take that's very self serving regarding the Institute. I wonder if ben Linus isn't an Institute related. He's got that very cold and kind of almost detached affect, you know. Here he comes talking about how they're gonna kill his entire family if he doesn't deliver this message. It leads us to you know, who are we talking about? But just the way he delivers it makes me wonder if now we're not going to see more of the Institute the Enclave. I have to say, I was a little shocked that here that we're going to bring the Enclave in this late now and now it makes me wonder if we've seen any inklings of the Enclave. There's Linus is like an enclave, although I you know, to me, the Enclave. It's very, very possible that the institute was around before the war. The Enclay, as I understand it from the Games, is a post war group that organized itself around the idea, certainly including in its number included survivors of the war and people who who were potentially movers and shakers in the pre war period. But it's an organization that came together after the war, pitching itself basically as we are the inheritors of America, like we are actually America, we are the continuous American government. And you know, actually there are a fascist quasi military group. Be that as it may. They see themselves as the inheritors of the of the American government. And so I don't think that Ben the person that we are calling Ben Linis for the time being, could potentially be a emissary of the Onclay. But I don't know who do you think Ben Linus represents.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I think you're asking an interesting question. I'm also thinking, I think you're right, we've not seen any Enclave. But if I'm not mistaken, I think that the doctor in the early series, Siggy Wilzig, you know, he had the glasses. We saw him. He was dog Meet's original owner. I think he had formerly like worked alongside the Enclave. So we just like we've heard Inklings, but we haven't seen them, and I'm like, I feel like with this mention of them, now, I feel like it makes sense that ben Linus from Lost is definitely representing the Enclave. I think that they to bring it up. I don't think they would set it up completely without them showing up in this season, but I'm assuming they will be the main villain for Fallout season three, which I think is also interesting because obviously this game, like this show heavily taken from like fall Out four, and we know now as canon is really takes from all the games. Yeah, but it was interesting because the Enclave not really in fall that four, but in you know, come back in fall Out seventy six, and so it's gonna be interesting to see how they build them in.
Speaker 1: I mean, do I.
Speaker 2: Want to watch third season of Fallout that's about an evil white supremacist like fascist American like proto government. Yes, you're already ahead of the game, man, we know you're right. So yeah, I'm I'm very intrigued to see where this goes?
Speaker 1: Now here?
Speaker 2: Any Yeah, tell me more, Tell me more.
Speaker 1: Now Here is the wiki from the Enclave page regarding the Enclave plotline from Fallout two, which is I didn't get on the series until Fallout three, So let me read a couple of snippets from this one. The Enclave came to consider themselves the last remaining fashion of pure mutation free humanity on Earth. Sharing the planet with existing wastelanders was deemed untenable, and the rhetoric was used to justify the immediate extermination of all mutants. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah quote. The Enclaves members would be the first generation free of mutant threat in over one hundred years. Continuing in twenty two thirty five, the Enclave began its Experimenttion on Experimentation on Death Clause with the aim of creating cheap shock troops for waging war in hostile environments. So this leads me to believe that, yes, I do think now that there have been the Death Claw in Alaska that Coop came into contact with, and potentially this super mutant who's saying, you know, they're wiping us out. I think this is all the outlines of an ongoing enclave conspiracy that stretched to at least the war years, not the pre war years, but the war with China years. So and it certainly seems like the death Claus that are roaming the strip and protecting Voltec are in some way wrapped up with Enclave activities. The question is like who's running the enclave, Like who is the face of the enclave. We don't know that yet, but I now reading this, I do think that this is where they're going. The Enclave perhaps is actually the true force behind the apocalypse that decimated the globe and has led to the the post apocalyptic environment that we now see. Interesting, I don't but who is running the enclave that outlive that's the question.
Speaker 2: And is it one person? Is it someone Is it going to be someone that we've met before, is it going to be someone from pre established flashback government. I'm very excited. I feel like they're doing a good job keeping big costing secrets like with Rompalman. I'm very interesting. I'm just very interested to see how it goes.
Speaker 1: The Barberville So it's a little unclear to me what Barb's overall planet is, but I think it's clearly just to her feeling. Is the war's coming regardless, right, mm hmm. This is how I can get my family into the vault to make sure they.
Speaker 2: Ride out the war.
Speaker 1: How do you read her, her intentions and her motivations.
Speaker 2: I think that she is a mother. I think she's a complicated person. I think she's a realist. I think she is working on the fly. And what I'm really excited to see right now, and what I think is going to be a big twist, is that I think that we're going to see that her and Coop from this point onwards, are we're actually working together to try and stop this doing some kind of version on the fly. And what he's really searching for her for is because they were back in love, they were back on the same team, and it is not this vengeance mission. It's not because of this reason that he's found out afterwards that she said this thing. And I'm very excited to see where that goes. I think Goggins and Turner so good together. They have great chemistry that when they argue, they look like a real married couple. They have like a shortthand that you believe so to me, I want to see where that goes. And I want to see if they're going to give Bob like a true redemptive arc, like oh, she was always against it, or if they're going to allow her to sit in that more complicated space of being someone who's just doing anything they can to save their child, which we get that great moment in the hotel here where Coop says that to her and he's like, so you just like kill all these other people's kids, like and other moms like you, And she's like, yeah, like wouldn't you if it meant our kid would survive. There's just like an honesty there that I think is really interesting. So I'm very I'm excited to see where that goes. But obviously I think we'll probably be like a secondary plot line to our major war that they're going to be establishing.
Speaker 1: I'm fascinated to see where the end of the Lucy Hank arc from this episode leaves them, because Lucy, I think, very begrudgingly brainwashes these two guys. It remains to be seen whether this brainwashing is reversible unclear, Yeah, but she very begrudgingly does it because these two guys were going to kill each other and potentially massacre the whole room. But what does this mean for Lucy and Hank. It's very clear that Hank, I think, very connivingly, was like Lucy, Lucy, Lucy, I love you whatever you want. If you want barbarity and violence to rain in the wasteland and you know, the primal urges of the human animal to be raised up to the primary position once again, like I am happy to do that. You are my daughter, and I love you so much, and I'm here to take accountability for all my actions. And that's what it means that that barbaria reigns. Then that's fine. But look at how great things are here. Everybody's working together, nobody's putting a nice pick in each other's brains. We have murderers doing, you know, creating mind control chips. It's it's really one. And so when Lucy presses the button, I see it as like a moment of desperation to stop violence in this moment. But could it is it possible that she when we come back next episode, that she's somehow come over to her side in some way.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, but I do think she's gonna want to believe in him doing something for good because that is what she like knows. But she also knows about you know, shady Sands and all the awful things that he did. I wouldn't be surprised if unforgivable genocide, all like horrific stuff, and also just all the lies, like everything you told her was a lie. You can't trust him, but she wants to still love him. I think what we're actually going to be more likely to see is I would guess that the next episode he's gonna try and convince her and she may kind of play into it. Then I think we might see him try to fit her with one of the mind control because he wants her to do his good daughter again. I think the goolder will come back and save Lucy and we will get that reunion, probably with Matt. But I think there's probably some kind of implication of him wanting her to do whatever he wants and being like his Oki dokie good time girl or whatever. So I'm interested to see if they go that way, but I don't. I think even if she's tempted, she knows the true, the truth about Hank, and honestly, it may be that she goes oh my God, this is amazing. It works. Maybe you're right, and then one of their heads explodes immediately. You know, we've seen how dangerous this technology is.
Speaker 1: It's it's very, very dangerous. And I'm a little bit unclear on exactly how he perfected it other than just like finding the most demented drug addicted guy wandering the wasteland who could take like the the full brunt of the mind control chip that allowed him and I guess that allowed him to like perfect it. Whatever. Here's another question, is Bob House actually it is Bob House actually behind anything We ride this season and st the first few episodes up until this one, thinking and being presented a story that seemed to place Bob House at the center of this kind of a large scale corporate conspiracy that eventually led to nuclear war and is potentially still moving events in ways that we don't quite understand it now. But it now seems as if with the appearance of ben Lyinis and the way Bob and the way we left Bob in the in the episode before this one, where he puts like the calender on his head and certainly seems like it's he's potentially not in control of like his full faculties that Bob House is maybe just a distraction your thoughts because the reveal that there's actually a much more secretive force. Although I that Bob, although Bob also sensed it. Bob was also like, whoever did the death cloth thing, like that's that's another player on the board. But then in that same speech he also says, basically, I've now been wondering whether I am the chess player or just a chess piece, And I'm wondering the same thing if Bob House was actually just a very convoluted distraction, and there's gonna be some other big bad possibly the Enclave, as we've said, behind all this.
Speaker 2: I think that you're onto something now because also something that I think is really interesting is they don't even have to pull like the rug from underneath us or anything. Everything we know about Bob House can still be true. He can set up everything in Vegas New Vegas. He can do his little thing, and that makes him seem comparatively extremely powerful, but really he's just a guy who took advantage of a power vacuum and has his own city, which in the world of Fallout is impressive but doesn't necessarily mean that he is the machination puppet master behind everything, and I kind of love the idea, especially because they had so much fun with that, justin throwcasting and playing with these ideas of doubles and duality. Maybe we'll find out that house was specifically created or is there to be the distraction for this and maybe rob Co was always connected to that. I'm excited to see how the conspiracy plays out. I really think this is one of the rare shows where they don't even pitch it to you as a mystery box which is the best kind of mystery box show. But as we get further into it, I'm like, oh no, there are like extreme amounts of layers to this, and you can go back and peel them and unpeel them and take different things from every episode. It's a real fun to have something like this to dig into again.
Speaker 1: It is really fun. I do worry that it's a little over I mean, it's extremely convoluted, but that's so the game is actually very convoluted as well.
Speaker 2: Streamlining last three episodes, what's your pitch? Like, just episode about each different, like tell me where you think they can get back to that streamlined punch of the first season.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't actually know. I just think that if the Enclave is kind of going to be the big reveal at the end of this, you could have had them be more present earlier on. But again it's unclear. Like I will say, here's the thing that I think in some ways is kind of muddying the waters one. We're not sure what our heroes are necessarily fighting for. I think they've done actually a good job with Max, which is he's just fighting for a better world like he would like to see, you know, basically, like let's rebuild Shady Sands but make it the whole country. Is kind of like Max's thing, like can we not like redo a Shady Sands type project. Lucy is fighting for some kind of justice and accountability within the wasteland. It's it's clear that that keeps eluding her grasp, and it's unclear if that will ever come back. And the ghoul just wants his wife and daughter back. Okay, how do all of those things fit together and against that is the question I have Because if Bob House is not the bad guy and Hank was the bad guy in season one, he's I guess ostensibly kind of the bad guy in this episode, although it's unclear if he understands about the Enclave, and when we see the flashbacks, he's nothing more than a mine or mine or minor peace in the overall conspirait. He's the guy who was like tricked or cajoled or somehow forced to put the cold fusion diode in his head and smuggle it to Vegas, if he even knew that's what he was doing. So it's it's I guess what we're lacking is a kind of unifying antagonist. And yes, I am eager to find out exactly who that is, because now it seemed that we've got another protagonist entering the Fray, and that is Ron Perlman. Are super mutant? Mm hmm, what does that mean? Is that going to be super mutants and ghouls and are ragtag human heroes teaming up to do what free the wasteland? I guess I'm eager to see which way that goes. But it is again, you've kind of just got to embrace and accept how tangled this show is.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, is this reminding you at all of like and obviously totally different shows and totally different storytelling vibes. But there has been a lot of comparisons for season two of this of like almost trying to expand out in the way Game of Thrones did in season two, but people didn't necessarily feel like the groundwork was put in in season one a fallout the way it was in Game of Throne season one, where you can really understand the kingdoms and the landscapes and who lives in each one. We still don't have a great vision of all the different factions and how their lives interact, aside from them being like an obstacle right for like the Ghoul and Lucy. So I think, like, I agree with you, I'm interested to see how they can tie these together, but I trust them. I think the show's really interesting. And also, oh yeah, this is a really great show. And if this is all setting up like a Super six season three that's totally different and all about this crazy mute and enclave war, I'm into that too. But yeah, I'd love to for these last three episodes to really have some like propulsive momentum and stay maybe in the present more well.
Speaker 1: I will say that this is very much like my experience playing the game, which is you'll be on this main quest line or a faction quest line where you're you know, unwrapping the machinations of the Enclave or the Brotherhood or you know whoever, and then you know, or taking on the Institute or engaging with the Railroad, whatever the case may be. And then I'll just go on a two three four day we meandering of like growing mutt fruit and like going here and there collecting scrap, going on random side quests killing raiders, and then when I come back to the quest line that I was doing, I'm like, wait, what the fuck was I doing? That is a lot like that is a lot like the experience of this show.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I have to say, that's a really good representation of playing a Triple A game in general, because like I was gonna obviously bring up my famous you know, Breath of the Wild, still the probably the only person who actively plays like hours of it every week and has never finished it, But like the other one I think about a lot like that is like, obviously we talk about this a lot. We're huge fans of the old Arkham games, the Batman games, but that would definitely I'd be like they'd be like, oh no, Rosie the Riddler's calling people and then having dead shots snipe them. So I'd go on for three days just going to every like phone move, and then I'd get back and they'd be like, quickly, you're gonna get the penguin from the Natchoy stream music, and I'd be.
Speaker 1: Like, where the fuck is that?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not by I was handing down the Red Law Like, so, yeah, I agree, it feels kind of like that. So they're adapting the feeling of playing the game, which is nice.
Speaker 1: And join us tomorrow as we dive back into a Night of the Seven Kingdoms, episode one of the series for our Ravens Report, which we dive deeper into the world of Westros and the world of Duncan Egg. And that's it for this episode. Thanks for listening to The x Ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wax.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our Discord moderate them