Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode thirteen of Native Lamppod, where we give you.
Speaker 2: Our breakdown of all things politics and culture.
Speaker 1: You are your hosts, Angela Ride, Tiffany Cross and Andrew Gillham.
Speaker 2: What's good, everybody?
Speaker 3: Welcome home?
Speaker 4: Not fingerwaves okay? And trying to clown me because I don't have my hair done today when we were on our car. I just washed that out the shower. He's trying to say, I got fingerwave. You know, I look crazy like you.
Speaker 5: Said I hadn't done. You said you hadn't done your hair, and I was like, oh, I thought you was just trying to Andrew's fingerwaves.
Speaker 1: It's like a whole dance. And that's the moment he did a finger Oh I thought it was a fingerwave.
Speaker 2: Body right. Anyway, here's the thing, Andrew and Tip.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to confess the reason why I was late for our call this morning is because I was combing out my hair in the shower for forty minutes.
Speaker 2: So I really apologized. It was sad, but it's center the drive. I say, wear it big.
Speaker 3: It looks cute, big, wear it Big.
Speaker 1: I like ATIV And speaking of big, we need y'all away in big and make sure that you rate and review our show. We need to see those reviews. We're starting to post those comments. If y'all aren't paying attention on at Native lampod on all socials, we are starting to post those comments, so keep them coming.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to thank the listeners for all their positive feedback and they're great reviews because we all read them, and we just thank y'all for rocking with us.
Speaker 1: This week, we are getting into the fact that lawmakers in Tennessee recently voted to fire the entire board.
Speaker 2: Of Tennessee State University.
Speaker 1: Does this have anything at all to do with the fact that the state os TSU more than two point one billion dollars? Probably and sticking with the dirty South Texas holding them all right. Crystal Mason recently ended her year's long battle for trying to vote in twenty sixteen. She got an Eastern miracle after her five year prison sentence for casting a ballot in Texas's twenty sixteen election was overturned by the Court of Appeals. So massive voter fraud is finally confirmed. Right, not so much y'all have been asking, So we are finally answering. On this week's deep dive, we dig into Project twenty twenty five. It is nothing more than proof that one side is gearing up for political war and another is treating this election like it's just one of them days. Maybe that's what Meet Mills meant when he said the odds against you, and they double stacked.
Speaker 2: Stay woke, you too, Meet you too.
Speaker 1: After the deep dive, stick around for politics are everywhere. Washington State has passed a new Stripper's Bill of rights, and sadly, tiff it does not include our much needed work lessons.
Speaker 2: Oh well, let's go rude.
Speaker 6: Yeah, have we ever ever vacated the entire board of a university before?
Speaker 7: Have we ever done that?
Speaker 8: But an HBCU that we owe two billion dollars too? Oh yeah, we're gonna take We're gonna take their board.
Speaker 7: You know, we're gonna We're gonna hold.
Speaker 8: Them hostage, and we're gonna say you need to shut up.
Speaker 7: About your two billion dollars.
Speaker 8: You better sit down and shut up and accept.
Speaker 7: The crumbs we send you.
Speaker 8: The optics of this are horrendous.
Speaker 7: You're going off the cliff. Don't do it. Don't do it to yourself, and then wonder.
Speaker 8: Why the press is attacking you and saying.
Speaker 1: Things and saying things. And boy, do we ask something to say on this. So as you can see here, last week, the Tennessee State House voted sixty six to twenty five in favor of dis miss the entire board of Tennessee State University. As you might guess, the legislature holds a large Republican majority who claim they are concerned about governance and financial mismanagement. Boy, we heard of that before. And I want to tell y'all, I think the real issue is that in September, the Biden administration sent a letter from Secretaries Corodona and Vilsack of Education and Agriculture, respectively, to several states that have land grant institutions, including Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia. And do you know of all of the recipients of those letters, the one with the largest debt to a school to a land grant institution was Tennessee with two point one billion dollars, as referenced in bo Mitchell sound just there. I want to play justin Pearson sound a legislator also from Tennessee, who you all know has been making a lot of waves.
Speaker 2: And then I want to hear y'all weigh in.
Speaker 7: This is wrong and immoral.
Speaker 9: This perpetuates the racism of previous generations into legislation today. The University of Tennessee, a predominantly white institution, and the state's other land grant university, did in fact get its full state funding each year.
Speaker 7: Some years the University.
Speaker 9: Of Tennessee even got more than it's required funding levels. The Tennessee State University was denied for those resources, and because they were denied the resources, there weren't problems that occurred.
Speaker 7: But instead of us.
Speaker 9: Rectifying the problems that we created through racist policies by underfunding Tennessee State University, we're now advocating to.
Speaker 2: Vacate their board man.
Speaker 1: Okay, so weigh in here, y'all is this is a spicy one, and I think it's an extension of what they've been calling DEI attacks, affirmative action attacks.
Speaker 2: All of that.
Speaker 1: So I want to hear from you, Andrew. You went to a land grant institution called Florida A and M University. I'd love to hear from you first.
Speaker 5: You know. Well, so let me just say justin was going down The representative was going down the lane of describing the difference between the two land Grand institutions that exists in the state of Tennessee. So what is it UT Knoxville University of Tennessee. Knoxville is the other federally granted land gran I think they're in eighteen hundred and early eighteen hundred lang Grand institutions. So is Florida A and M University. What that means is the Department of Agriculture of the United States of America allocates or a set of federal dollars that make their way to those institutions, and then the state has to meet its side of the bargain, which is to fund both of their how do you say land grand institution at their required levels. What the representative was saying was UT Knoxville got its money every single year, and in some years in excess of what they were required to have been allocated by the legislature, and the case, however, of Tennessee State University, the other established languorine institution, many of the years were never funded at the level that was required. They just all wholesale misfunding Tennessee State University. And so for those who misunderstand whether this is reparations or if this is ill gotten gains that just never got gotten, understand that the state of Tennessee failed to meet their legal obligation to fund the black school at the same level that it was required to fund, but it funded the white school at the required level in many years above the required level. To my opinion, Tennessee State. First of all, Glinda Glover is an incredible leader. She's the president of TSU. She is also, i think she's still simultaneously the president the international president of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. A woman who was a supporter of my campaign for governor, a woman who I would consider a friend, a woman who when she lived as a young person in Washington, d C. Grew up under the tutelage of Mary and Barry. When she was a student up in Washington, d C, intern FORARS campaign, So she understands hard knocks fighting right well, it has not yet appeared to me whether TSU understands the kind of fight the students, the alumni, the supporters, the national community ought to be rising up right now in defense of TSU because their failure to meet their obligation there to suspend summarily the entire board without any justification. The audit that was done there angela correct me if I'm wrong, didn't reveal any legal issues malfeasance. They were technical auditing practices and some recommendations for improvement the legislature. There is not hiding who they are, how they feel. They're doing it out loud and on purpose. Within minutes of the legislation passing y'all to dismantle that board, within minutes, the governor had already renamed all new eight members of the board. This was no debate, There was no deliberative process being had by legislators. Those folks went in there and they gang banged their way using the guise of the law to dismiss a board who was demanding the two billion dollars they would do. And they told them to shut up. They wouldn't shut up. They were told them to sit down somewhere. They wouldn't sit down somewhere and what happened. The state just decided we'll get rid of the troublemakers and replace them with folks who are going to be obedient and subservient. You know.
Speaker 1: To this point, tif I wanted to raise Andrew said he was talking about the regularly available data in the letter to the Governor of Tennessee, Bill Ye.
Speaker 2: They say using.
Speaker 1: Readily available data from the National Center for Education Statistics, basically saying like, we ain't spend no extra taxpayer money on this to figure out that there was this funding gap between your eighteen ninety land Grand Institution and your eighteen sixty two Land Gran Institution. But there is a two billion, one hundred and forty seven million, seven hundred and eighty four thousand, seven hundred and four dollars gap in funding. Yeah, over thirty years. That's just over the last thirty years, by the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just want to take him in and talk about HBCUs and the magic that they possessed, not only for those who attended. And this is no dis to people who went to a PWI, but it is exhausting sometimes when people are like, well, I went to a PWI, but there were so many Black people was like MACEBCU.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: When we saw Black panther and people talked about Wakanda. I say this all the time we lived in Wakanda. We had that experience and they are magical places which means so much to us as a people, but not just to us as a people, to the country. HBCUs comprised three percent of all universities and colleges, but enroll ten percent of all black students and account for eighty percent of black judges, twenty five percent of black science professionals, seventy percent of dentists and physicians, and forty percent Angelo will appreciate this, forty percent of members of Congress, and twenty.
Speaker 3: Percent of all black college graduates.
Speaker 4: And the economic impact of all of this is over fifteen billion dollars to the US economy. HBCUs are the primary drivers lifting Black people out of poverty into the middle class. According to some reporting by The Washington Post, the funding gap per student went from four hundred dollars per student to foum jobs per student at HBCU sixteen hundred dollars per student at a PWI, and that was just between twenty three and twenty fifteen, those numbers have since expanded.
Speaker 3: To Angela's point that she was given this was.
Speaker 4: A policy that was enacted by the Republican controlled state legislature, which Angela pointed out signed into law by the Republican governor. These are all elected positions. Tennessee has a high population of black folks. The down ballot races matter. HBCUs matter. The letter that Angela referenced, it wasn't just the two point one billion oh to Tennessee State, it was the twelve billion OD to all those HBCUs housed in the states that Angela ticked off. Please, we cannot let HBCUs die become defunded. Even if you didn't attend an HBCU, it's all of our problems. But if you did attend an HBCU, please make sure you're a booster. You're giving back, you're contributing something in some way because they are so important to us as a community but also us as a country. And Andrew, you can testify. You're on the board of trustees at FAM. You HBCUs are strapped, and there are always students who need money. They'll be students who are two thousand dollars short of graduating or ten thousand dollars short of graduating. So then the faculty, because they love you, run around and try to find money anywhere to get these students to graduate. And they're like literally friendship groups who are like, yeah, I just need two thousand dollars. I have a student in my class or my friend's son is studying at at HBCU and needs money. The students themselves need so much money, and the funding often comes from outside sources. So I implore people pay attention to this because I don't think it'd be the last school we see you face something like this.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tiff Angela.
Speaker 5: Can I also say, isn't there a isn't there a rally or tech?
Speaker 1: There was a rally that took place on Monday, absolutely, and I don't think that will be the last of these actions. To Tip's point, this is only one of the states that owes millions or billions of dollars to their AI eighteen ninety Langer institution. And with that, everyone, we're gonna take a break and be right back.
Speaker 10: First of all, I like to thank everybody for coming. Spent a long journey started in two thousand and sixteen for fulling out a provisional ballet that never counted. Two thousand and seventeen, I was convicted for I was charged with illegally voting, and in two thousand eighteen, I was convicted to five years. I've been out now for six years, over six years on the up pill bun fighting to stay free, and yesterday I finally got that news that I was acquitted from all charges. Spent a long time coming. I'm so grateful. I'm so humbly grateful, and I knew victory would be there I come, and I'm just so glad that the judges did the right thing. And again I just asked you keep me in your prayers and keep my family uplifted, because again I'm just again just overwhelmed, trying to stay trying not to cry. And I'm yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: That was Crystal Mason at a press conference last week, right after she found out that she won her appeal. She'd been out on appeal bond and Crystal was charged in twenty seventeen for voter fraud after she voted while still on supervised release from prison. She says she had no idea that she was not allowed to vote and only did so because of the encouragement of her friends and family. She casted a provisional ballot, which was never actually counted, and still in twenty eighteen, she was convicted and sentenced to five years in prison for election fraud. She's been outfighting the case ever since. It cost her two jobs and an untold amount of emotional and financial stress. She had the PRIs I had the privilege of moderating a panel that Crystal set on last year with the United Justice Coalition and learned about her story, her courage, and was so impressed with her and her bravery. I'm so happy that she can move on with her life and just want to flag for the audience that Texas tried to make an example out of Crystal. Republicans you'll hear often talk about how big of an issue voter fraud is, and they would know because they're the ones who competed or actually engaging at rit large. But voter fraud is a problem point zero zero zero three percent of the time according to the Brennan Center for Justice. So with that, I don't know if y'all want to weigh in, but I just think it's an example of injustice in this country being served, and this is one time where she was able to slip out of its grasp.
Speaker 5: Well, Angela, I'm glad that you emphasized the point that she cast a provisional ballot. And for you all who have never cast a provisional ballot before, those are ballots that if there is any question about your legal ability to either vote, or if you are in the wrong precinct, or if you're given the correct ballot or not, those ballots are not counted at the same time that all other legitimately cast ballots are counted. They are set aside to be later cured by a panel of people who look through and figure out whether or not this is right or it isn't. If if there was an issue, it would have been caught there right. So it already tells us the ballot never got counted, she voted provisionally, and the fact that she then gets prosecuted. Your point around this was a shot over the bow. This is a message to everybody else who might even attempt this, that we can put you in legal jeopardy, costs you your reputation, your livelihood, and so much else, all because we don't want to see you at the polls, you or anybody like you. And I'm just glad that in this case, you know, justice was had properly. But I'm fearful for the next case, and the next case, and the next case and the case after that, because everyone's not gonna be able to walk away with this same outcome. And I just think that federally, if we have the right to vote, this guaranteed federally, there should be no state able to trump the right of your federal right to participate.
Speaker 4: Unintended, no states should trump the right of your right to vote. I you know, I will say about this, Andrew, this is something that hits close to home for you.
Speaker 3: Republican Governor Ron DeSantis.
Speaker 4: Started arresting people the last election cycle, which was devastating to see. But I think the scariest part of this, which which it feels like we're, you know, having a reach back in history this entire episode is the pendulum is swinging and so we see these types of draconian laws that our own we aimed at fear and suppression, literal suppression of your vote. So to all the people out there who say, if I was alive during the Civil rights movement, I would fill in the blank. Whatever you're doing right now is what you would have been doing during the Civil rights movement. We are under constant attack, not only our liberty but our livelihood, and it is time for everybody to do a little, so not just a few people are left to do a lot right now. Our voting rights are under attack right now. The way we live and survive is under attack. Right now, Our schools are under attack. The way we educate our children is under attack. Whatever you're doing is what you would have been doing then. And if you're doing something, send us footies and let us know. Like, we want to shout people out who are actually doing something, and it has to go beyond hashtag activism but actual boots on the ground. So I'll shout out right now Cliff and Latash Brown, who are constantly on the ground doing this work from you know, advocating for Tennessee State, but also for voting rights and Southern black girls and everything in between.
Speaker 2: Okay, now we have a listener question.
Speaker 11: Hey, my name is Aris and I'm from California and I am interested in your thoughts if you have any at this point on the next presidential cycle in twenty twenty eight, I realized it's a bit early. We have not actually voted this year. However, our choices are pretty much set in stone. It's a particular interest to me as a California native, because I have watched our current governor, Gavin Newsom make moves, particularly in the last four years, that make it clear to me that he is eyeing a run for president. We also have our current Vice president, Kamala Harris, who is a California native, has held state and local office here and actually run for president.
Speaker 7: Hopefully she will be.
Speaker 11: The incumbent party's VP and a lame duck term. Typically that person gets a bit of difference. I know there's still primaries, but they get a bit of difference. However, Kamala isn't the typical VP. Do you think she'll get that difference or will someone like Gavin move ahead and become a front runner.
Speaker 5: What do you mean by well names?
Speaker 3: Is that what you said?
Speaker 2: Paris? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I like her.
Speaker 3: I like that name.
Speaker 5: Eric.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that question. I think kudos to you for being forward thinking and thinking about twenty twenty eight and so I don't want you to think I'm not answering your question. I hear it, and I hear the candidates you're putting out there. I do want to say the uncautioned people, because this frustrates me when we start talking about twenty twenty four and twenty twenty one. As soon as one election cycles over, the media runs to look at the next cycle. I would say a week is an eternity in politics, and I would caution people from thinking that twenty twenty eight candidates are already set in stone. I imagine in two thousand and four people thought that until a young senator by the name of Barack Obama came on the scene and disrupted a political dynasty. I would imagine that at some point people thought John Edwards was a you in to be the Democratic nominee for president, until a little affair popped up and he was knocked out. Every October we have an October surprise, So I would say, let's focus on this particular election, because you'd be surprised.
Speaker 3: At how things change.
Speaker 4: But more importantly, we're at a point of an existential threat to our country. I don't know that we'll have a democracy in existence in twenty twenty eight, so I think we're all really preoccupied with twenty twenty four right now, even though I completely understand your question and thank you for sending it. Send it again in four years, and we'll definitely break it down those new slate of candidates, because I hope there's some more young blood, because we should have a wider choice of people to choose from.
Speaker 5: Can I just say, Tiffany, your point is well taken, because God knows, we'll talk about the topic later, but the underpinning of democracy is certainly at risk. But I will say that Aris is to Aris's intent, it is true the race has started before the race has ever begun. And the only thing I would submit is I think probably both the candidates you mentioned, the California as you mentioned, will probably be considered. But I also know that there are gonna be people whose names we cannot call right now, who may show up and pop off, similar to what Tiffany mentioned about Barack Obama, the little known state senator come US senator, And so I think it'll be a crowded feel and I don't think there's gonna be any difference given to anyone unless Biden was able to legally run for a third derm, which he can't, so I don't think there's gonna be much difference come around the next Democratic primary.
Speaker 1: And with that, we got to pay the bills. We'll be back after this break with a deep dive on Project twenty five.
Speaker 12: What is Project twenty twenty five? It is everyone here, this is the movement. We are going to be prepared day one, January twenty twenty twenty five to hit the ground running as conservatives to really help the next president. Heritage got on the book on the marker as an organization by delivering the first mandate for leadership in nineteen eighty to President elect Reagan. This task in twenty twenty four is too big for any one think tank. This has to be a movement, and what we've done is use our convening power haired Heritage to bring the entire movement together. So twenty twenty five is not a Heritage thing, it's a Conservative movement thing. What we're doing is systematically preparing to march into office and bring a new army of aligned, trained, and essentially weaponized conservatives ready to do battle against the deep state.
Speaker 1: That was Paul Dan's from Project twenty twenty five telling us the truth about what this really is the one thing I want to flag for y'all. On the outset is Peter Navarro, who is credited with being the master architect of Project twenty twenty five, was just sentenced to serve time in federal prison two weeks ago for refusing to comply with the congressional subpoena about his role in the insurrection. And alas, here we are with the insurrectionist Blueprint, also known as twenty Project twenty twenty five. All nine hundred plus pages of it have been shared with you, Tiff and Andrew. I did not go through every single page, but I went through enough. And here's the thing that stood out to me. Woke progressivism, woke culture warriors, woke bureaucrats, woke extremism, woke propaganda, woke agenda, wokeism, woke dominated system of public schools and university, woke revolutionaries whoa radicals, supposedly woke faction, woke policies in corporate America, woke gender ideology, and even the Department of Education got some strays with as a convenient one stop shop for.
Speaker 2: The woke education cartel. Do you notice the trend?
Speaker 13: I do?
Speaker 3: Can? I?
Speaker 2: Is this crazy?
Speaker 4: I just can I just I want to discover a little bit of background for the viewers. So this is the birth child of the Heritage Foundation. The Heritage Foundation is a very conservative think tank that came out under President Nixon, so that should tell you something. But they really started gaining traction of power under President Ronald Reagan. The Project twenty five A lot of organizations, a lot of groups, a lot of constituencies have policy agendas. So policy or Project twenty five is kind of like that, but extremely more dangerous. And I'll tell you why. It's a board of more than eighty conservative organizations all's one hundred Now Project is one hundred, one hundred organizations, all linked in this whole cesspool of policies to dark money, including Leonard Leo, who was very influential in shaping the Supreme Court of the United States under Donald Trump, very attached to him. It does not respect the separation of church and state, and it is literally trying to reimagine the executive brands of government. You heard him say weaponized conservatives. They've put millions of dollars in their political arm Heritage for America. The interesting thing about this Angela U and Andrew you both probably know this. Heritage Foundation used to be led by a black woman, k Cole James, who is a Hampton University graduate and sister girl was definitely parroting all the talking points, all the ridiculous statements coming out of Heritage Foundation.
Speaker 2: They're not new.
Speaker 4: A lot of these policies aren't even new, they're just repackaged and put out there. The reason why we should take this seriously, because like I said, a lot of groups will put out these policy agendas is because they have all aligned. And so Andrew makes this point. I don't want to steal your point, Andrew, but Andrew makes the point all the time that we talk about Donald Trump and the Republican Party as though they're separate things, and they have now merged. The Republican Party is now run by right wing zealots and MAGA extremists. These are the people they are beholden to. And so the whole list that Angela just ran down. Should Republicans take the presidency and potentially the House and potentially the Senates, they will be able to rough house and ramshot all of these policies through at the federal level, which is their agenda. And Angelo go through all of it. I have more questions than I do answers, but I want to punctuate how dangerous Project twenty twenty five is. It's not the first time we've seen it, and hopefully it will be the last time we talk about it.
Speaker 3: But I have my doubts.
Speaker 2: And Andrew, uh huh.
Speaker 5: You know, I Agreechiff, the dangers here can't be underscore. So all of us know the name Koch Brothers. We say, it is talked about all the time, very wealthy Koch brother Industries, Da Da Da Da Da. Well, before there were the Koch Brothers, there was Richard Mellon's. He is the person responsible for founding the Heritage Foundation and setting up the initial cadre of conservative organizations that didn't exist then but were created in the mid nineteen seventies after Republicans felt frankly annihilated after Nixon's stepping down from the White House. At that time, liberals frankly actually had organization. They had funded media outlets, they had funded think tanks, their ideas had gotten traction. They had just passed the Voting Rights Act. We were thriving in many ways, and at that point, rich white men as represented by scathe, Melonscafe Mills, Cokes, all those folks. They were top five cores as we know the cores be a corps family. The top five Sservative donors got together and put tens of millions, now hundreds of millions of dollars into building what we now know today as the new Conservative movie.
Speaker 3: They were aided by white women under school to add.
Speaker 5: That, no doubt about it, but certainly this was these were white men and billions of money either inherited or manipulated through the system, and they put their money back in protecting their hides. Now this is this is where I found the danger of Tiff and Angela. It is that these folks. Before it was about getting Republicans elected right and governing through the elected process. Now it is about the tens of I don't know hundreds of thousands of federal workers who will now be replaced as public servants, which means these are these are individuals who serve regardless of whether there's a democratic or Republican administration. Where these folks kept getting caught up were because they wanted to achieve one goal. But career service people, professionals who work in the Department of Agriculture and Energy and education will say, oh, I'm so sorry, mister secretary, you can't do that, because that's against the law per section such and such and such and such and such. Well, they don't want people checking them like that. They want loyalists who are willing to do whatever the executive says. These people envisioned something that is known as the unitary executive, and what that means is not just. They don't believe in a separation of powers. They don't believe in a separation of states, separation of governance, meaning the judiciary the executive in the legislative. They believe that the president, when elected president, has allsought the power. I have news for those folks. We got rid of that when we were founded. The American Revolution was about throwing off the yoke of the unitary executive the king. We don't elect kings in the United States of America. So if anybody ever gets deluded that these folks are actually championing democracy, that these folks actually believe in standing up, protecting, conserving the constitution, or that their strict construction is we hear that term a lot of times referred to Republicans or conservatives that's not what it is at all. They only believe that to this end that their agenda wins. When their agenda doesn't win, they don't believe in the judiciary, they don't believe in the legislative, and if the president is the problem, they don't believe in the executive at that time. There are no commitments to beliefs, as we've all heard in politics, no permanent friends, no permanent enemies, only permanent interest So their interests and their beliefs and their philosophy is all about winning for them, and the moment that they're not winning or their philosophy can be offended at any moment, and that's where we are right now.
Speaker 2: That's I think the thing. So we talked about the Koch brothers.
Speaker 1: We talked about the one hundred plus organizations who've signed on to this cotion to participate in dismantling the federal government department by department, agency by agency, appointee by appointee and burrowed in employees.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they would burrow in, which is also not new.
Speaker 1: They talked about it being an issue long before even Barack Obama was president, and people burrowed in they would be political and they just found the safest career job and they stay there. They've been talking about doing that, and now I think now it's on a larger scale. I think the other thing that's very fascinating to me, I just want to acknowledge that I envy their ability to unite around some common goals. I am jealous of it. I am frustrated by the fact that we don't have something like this, we meaning Black folks, that represent our interests, because when we do. I talk about it all the time, the Black Agenda that was put forth by the Black to the Future Action Fund, by our dear sister Alicia Garza. It is like pulling teeth to get Black folks to support something that benefits our best interests. They want to know who wrote it, why they wrote it, When did they write it, Who's in charge?
Speaker 2: Was it a man.
Speaker 1: If it's not a man, I can't get behind it. If it was a woman, is a woman that I like? All of that is so frustrating to me, and I get so upset when we can't set aside a thing to focus on the main thing. And they've done this here and they've been doing it for many years. Here's one place where I will say that they have a big benefit. Speaking of DEI and dollars, they didn't earn. They put the dollars they didn't earn towards something that benefits them in a very towards a common.
Speaker 2: Goal twenty two million dollars.
Speaker 1: So I bet, I'm just thinking we probably could get on the same page, and we probably could move the needle a little bit further down the road if we had the same resources they have to expend on these things, whether it's Americans for Prosperity, or the American Legislative Exchange Council, or the Heritage Foundation or now twenty twenty five, all of which have benefited from the infrastructure that they've been establishing.
Speaker 2: Frankly since sixteen nineteen. How about that.
Speaker 4: Well, there may be a point of disagreement here because I so I think the Republican Party they're easier to coalesce because they have one common goal.
Speaker 3: I mean, racism is at the root of everything they want.
Speaker 4: So I don't want to compare black folks to them like our I think our fractured interest is because we're not a homogenous group of people. We have different interests, we have different goals. I think that's the beauty of us as a people. And I often hear people credit the Republicans with like, oh, but they have such a simple message or they're better at communicating. I don't know if that's true. I think their audience is a little more simple and wilfully ignorant to a lot of things around policy. I think on the left and look, listen, ignorance extends to no matter what political party, no matter what kills our economic background. Yeah, exactly, it's not partisan. However, I think on the right side you have people who are just pretty much flatlined. They're an easier group to coalesce. On the left, you have people who I would argue are a bit more curious about things, are not so easily manipulated, and is a much bigger tent of people, and so we all represent our interest passionately. On the right, you you know, have something that's very complicated, like the Affordable Care Act, and you could throw out something like death panels and people will latch onto it. On the left, it's a little more intellectual. People have questions about that, and certainly when it comes to black folks, I think we because we have been so out of the process for so long. We have been denied for so long that now that we're in this process, I think we've done an amazing job of working together and being a tight community and supporting each other and fighting for a lot of our rights in a much more wholesome and holistic way than the Republican Party, whose entire agenda is based on hate and hating other people who they think is taking something from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that their their agenda.
Speaker 1: If I could andrew just really quick, their agenda is more simple. But I think it's intellectually dishonest too for us to say everyone who votes conservative is dumb.
Speaker 2: I agree, you know, like I think that we have to be careful with that.
Speaker 1: I'm also saying that they're the the organization behind and the operation behind what they've done is actually massive and it's incredibly intricate, even if the messaging is simple, I think that it would be really uh, it's not smart for us to say that it's not very complex.
Speaker 2: They have five oh one C three C fours pass.
Speaker 1: They have again an American Legislative Exchange Council, which is boilerplate legislation for people in all fifty states, to send in and to ensure that it all gets past. That's what all this anti DEI legislation is now in thirty plus states.
Speaker 2: So it is incredibly complex and it we could argue.
Speaker 1: That many of them are focused just on the racism of it all, but it started under the guise of fiscal conservativism. Even when you look at their four pillars that they're all saying that they had to agree on, they're still really broad and honestly, Joe Biden's border policy fits in with number three.
Speaker 2: I'll read it. It says, restore the family. This is number one.
Speaker 1: Restore the family as the centerpiece of American life, and protect our children. We know what that really means to somebody else. Maybe it means something exactly what it is. Number two, dismantle the administrative state and return self governance to the American people.
Speaker 2: Expect for what is Yovagina.
Speaker 1: Number three defend our nation's sovereignty, borders and bounty against global threats. Sounds like it might not be a bad idea if you don't read between the lines. And four secure our God given individual rights to live. I'm sorry to live freely, I said to lie to life freely that too, to live freely what our Constitution calls the blessing of liberty. So when you hear these things on their face, they don't sound bad. But when you get into the nine hundred plus pages and they want to dismantle the Department of Justice and they want to ensure that a president can manipulate what's happening in the FBI and DOJ to target political opponents, that reads a little differently.
Speaker 2: So I just I think that there's something smart here.
Speaker 5: I there is something smart. But guess what they got it from us. Before there was ever an American Legislative Exchange Council, there was something known as the Center for Policy Alternatives. This was a national coalition of progressively aligned legislators across all fifty states of the United States, and they came together, produced the Policy Manual every year, and then progressive legislators in the states to take those policies and then work toward implementation. Know that that pre existed, what the right existed. A lot of people know me as a candidate, but before as a candidate and while I was running for office and serving an office, I was part of yielding progressive pipelining. In my case, it was candidate development recruitment, and then after that it was gathering those same people that we saw and helped get elected to make sure that they were then pushing the policies that would advance our goals. Tiffany, I agree with you from the standpoint that there's some is so much easier to organize people who are all similarly interested in the same thing, and that same thing we can all differ about. But I think that same thing is about We've had power for a very long time. There are threats to our access to that power. We exist to maintain our power. The Koch brothers are not gratuitous. The reason why they helped build a conservative pipeline on the right is because they are the largest polluting industries. The coke industries and the subsidiaries that they own are among the largest polluters in the country. So it would make all the sense in the world to see them elect conservative who are anti EPA, who are judges who say, oh no, we're not going to be the big enforcement state. We are going to be the little, small government state where these issues are handled discreetly and not with a big hammer like the EPA. They were acting in their interests. I'll say this, I think the left has fallen off on girding up our institutions that then advance our ideas. These but with the right has taught us is that they are willing to go all the way in and constitution be damned and courts be damned, it doesn't matter. We're willing to go all the way in to conserve our power. The reason why the Left, I think, is a harder group to organize and coalesce around a single idea is because largely we're motivated by what our need is, just as the right is. Their need is to maintain the power that they've always had for us. Our need might be food on the table, gas in the tank, women, protections at the workplace, and all so with autonomy on their bodies. Black people's ability to go to schools are then our ability to maintain those same institutions. When those institutions start producing black folks who then end up becoming successful parts of boards, elected officials, potentially presidents of the United States, and then they challenge our power. So what do we do? We go and delegitimize their institutions so that they can't continue to produce the folks who are going to threaten our power. The right is the right is they're no more brilliant than we are. We did this first, they learned from us, and then we fell off the bus because our needs, as basically as they may be, became more divergent with the diversity of people in our coalition and the needs that each of us have had. And so we've got to get back to the basic yaw. And even if we were dealing with your point here, Angela, which is just amongst black folks, how do we do this? My suggestion would be one we need to get a political operation in order that trains the candidates we want to see then can get those folks successfully elected. Right, So there's a whole political arm to this thing we have that.
Speaker 2: We don't support it.
Speaker 5: See a lot of yes we do.
Speaker 1: We have the CBC Institute, let me tell you collective doing that. We have the Joint Center, which almost went completely under because we don't support the things that we have.
Speaker 5: This is what I'm talking about, Angela. That that that is the point to be had here, which is from a resource standpoint, the left has money.
Speaker 2: Not talking about the left, you got money plenty.
Speaker 5: Every no but but This is why it's but but.
Speaker 8: But.
Speaker 5: The left doesn't exist without the Blacks. In fact, the left doesn't exist at all and could never exist without us. And so if you are interested in advancing the left's agenda, then your interests must coincide with building an electoral operation that, by the way, doesn't just train, doesn't just elect, but has a hammer at the end of the day, which means if you don't do what you committed to doing, if you get in there and then you get sold out to the power interests that you were elected to dismantle, we are taking you out, all right, We're taking you So our enforcement mechanism has to exist on a level that's bigger than the fact that we share the same skin tone. That, ain't it. We can be that right. You just gave examples of the Hampton woman who used to be you know, over heritage. They got them everywhere. I would venture to argue that the people who are being appointed to the board of trustees at Tennessee State University, who all may look like us, have a different interest in mind. They didn't get a pointer on the same that they that the others got booted out for no reason. All right, So we got to be suspicious about those intentions. But we have the power to build those same structures on our side and maintain them on our side. We just have to decide that that's what we're in the interest of doing. And instead, I think we all get freaked out by election cycle to election cycle, we have this big old threat of democracy diminishing over our heads, and we compromised our way out of what we want and sake of what we know, and sake of what we have available at this current h.
Speaker 4: But I just want to say I agree with everything you said, Andrew, and I just think it's tragic that you are not on like every campaign ought to be calling you, every consultant group ought to be calling you, because this is the work that you've done, and you just informed me. I mean mine was much more anecdotal, and then they get all their shit from us. The way that black folks have organized in this country has cast a wide net of influence across the globe, so even their language comes from us. They didn't know what woke was ten years ago. They literally cut in paste and none of this stuff is new. We've already had to make America great again.
Speaker 3: Candidate.
Speaker 4: That was Ronald Reagan, that was his whole slogan. We already saw all these policies come out as a Nixon error, and that's why I think it's so important to say they were aided by white women because Phyllis Slapley let a whole army of folks trying and even physical conservative movements Angela are rooted in racism. So I think we all agree the same, but I think we all have different approaches. I think this could be a mini pod personally, but I think we all have different approaches. It needs to be come to how to get there, But I know we got to move on and to I have a question for you because so, okay, we see this policy that the Heritage Foundation has putting out Project twenty twenty five. Let's say, worst case scenario, Donald Trump is elected and the Republicans have one of the chambers of Congress, the upper Chamber and the senator lower chamber in the House, how likely is it that this policy will start to take shape? How likely will they be able to reimagine the executive branch of government because they can't do much without congressional approval.
Speaker 2: Well, first and.
Speaker 1: Foremo host Project twenty twenty five is already well underway, Like, this isn't something that they're waiting for Donald Trump to be elected for.
Speaker 2: The point where they would have to wait for his election.
Speaker 1: Is around who gets into these schedule f jobs, federal government jobs that aren't appointed. The part that they would need to wait for, who is appointed as those cabinet secretaries, other federal appointments that are not Senate confirmed. If they have you said, he has a chamber, if he has the Senate, he can confirm his full slate of judges, his full slate of everybody that is senior enough in the administration that needs a Senate confirmed appointment. So there's a lot that they can do. He can do a lot with the executive order. If Donald Trump is elected again, he will dare the Supreme Court to challenge anything that he tries to get through via executive order. And I think it will be including things that should be reserved for legislation.
Speaker 2: So I yeah, like at this point, go ahead.
Speaker 5: I agreed, Angela, and I would just say this, Remember we used to we would we heckled Mitt Romney about the binders full of women. That's when they say it's talking about candidate's heaps. This is the binder full of conservatives. What they are building are the resumes of individuals that they want to go in. And Angela talked about the appointment level. But what makes this even more dangerous is that they're talking about this at the careers. They're saying, we want you in the fuck. Fuck the appointments. Excuse me, lord, please forgive me, y'all, forget the appointments. This is about We're going to go into these departments and staff up with conservatives who will effectuate our agenda regardless of who the president is. And if the president is the president of our choosing at this time, then you act in their interest. If they're not, then you act in our interest, and you be a stop gap to whatever progressives may want to do, because now you're part of the wheel that keeps this machine running, and that that we have to all be terrified. Well we all want.
Speaker 1: This is my last thing on this. I just want to point out to Tip's point on page four of the nine hundred page document. In the forward, it says, today the American family is in crisis. Forty percent of all children are born to unmarried mothers, including more than seventy percent of black children.
Speaker 2: They go on to talk.
Speaker 1: About pornography must be outlawed illicit drug. Their product is as addictive as idiolicit drug and as psychologically destructive as any crime.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's I just think that.
Speaker 5: The trip on this pornography. When the Republican Convention was held in Florida down to Tampa a couple of years ago, the hotels, the highest search rates they had were to porn sites, and the and the strip of houses sol record profits over the.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl or I Am not confused about the hypocrisy.
Speaker 1: All I'm saying is if they can slide that twenty two million over this way, we watch out because We've always been able to do a lot with a little and I'm just saying we ain't got the same resources.
Speaker 3: But what can I say?
Speaker 5: My challenge is to is to the progressive white donors who who want to be in alignment, stand up some money and allow us to build the institutions that protect us and move our issues more progressively forward.
Speaker 2: If they're not afraid of DEI challenge it.
Speaker 4: I just want to say the most important thing that Angela said that I hope everybody takes note of Project twenty twenty five is already underway. The Civil War didn't start with the first gunfire between the Union and the Confederacy. Battles don't start with the first knuckles thrown. Like the battle is already happening. We are already in the thick of it. So if we're all sitting around waiting for the big bad boogey Man, the big bad boogey Man is here.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, for the record, y'all don't even want to talk about this. Y'all thought you were gonna have nothing. I knew you was lying.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we got a lot, You got a lot. We got warmer commercial break.
Speaker 1: But we will be back and we're going to talk about a new strippers Bill of Rights in Washington Stit.
Speaker 3: Yes, strippers, I got something.
Speaker 1: We just got done talking about Republicans pornography in strippers. And here we are now talking about a Democratic Governor Ja Nsley signing the Stripper's Bill of Rights into law in Washington State, which he did on March twenty sixth. The bill was sponsored by state Senator Rebecca Saldana.
Speaker 2: And we have a clip.
Speaker 5: It's pretty simple. While we're passing this bill, These are working folks, and working people deserve safety in the environment in which they work.
Speaker 7: Knew it for.
Speaker 13: Governor Jay Ensley has signed a bill into law that will improve safety at strip clubs in Washington. He was surrounded by the bill supporters this afternoon. Senate Bill sixty one oh five is the so called Stripper's Bill of Rights. One of the major changes that bill implements is to remove the Lewd Conduct Code in Seattle, which could pave the way for strip clubs to serve alcohol. That bill also means places like Supernova in Seattle will have to cap fees that clubs can charge dancers, install panic buttons, and ensure security staffing requirements.
Speaker 3: I love this, sorry angel' go ahead.
Speaker 2: No go go for a tip?
Speaker 6: You love this?
Speaker 5: What you love?
Speaker 4: I love this because these strippers do not There's no four one K that comes with strippers. They don't get benefits. These are women who are and I know there are male strippers, but predominantly women drive revenue.
Speaker 3: At the strip club.
Speaker 4: They have to tip out to everybody from the bartender to the DJ. Their money is taxed uh not only by their fellow co workers, but also by the government. People think strippers don't pay taxes, Yes they do. Something similar happened in Los Angeles. Strippers United organized there and I, you know, grew up in Atlanta Andrew in Florida. Like the strip club industry is big, it's massive. I've been to strip clubs a few times. I don't want to speak for anybody else on PA, but I've only been to strip clubs a few times. And in talking to these women, I did a documentary on strippers. When I was at BT, I followed around Buffy the Body. I followed around Buffy the Body, but everybody forgure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, body, Buffy and body. Because a lot of.
Speaker 4: Strippers at that time ended up on video sets and so I got to spend time with them. And I remember sitting one woman down, and you know, we had our cameras. I kept trying to make the dancers comfortable and one of the women started crying and I told them to stop filming. And I asked her, hey, like, I'm a friend. We're here just to tell your story, and she said, I don't want my grandmother to see this. And it just reminds you of the humanity. And in talking to strippers, they said, when you think about how they're treated because they have no you know, protection once they leave these clubs. And they said the people who treat them the worst are other women, that other women scrunt up their noses, they talk about them, they are disrespectful to them, which made my heartbreak. And so anytime I've gone to a strip club, I always I tip. I'm nice to the women. I you know, these are mothers, a lot of them. They're going through a lot, and a lot of these state laws make it hard for the strippers because they have rules in place for companies to treat employees like contractors. They're not full time employees where they have benefits. So I am supportive of all strippers.
Speaker 2: You drive the.
Speaker 4: Revenue, You are the stars, and honestly, some of the talent that's they're athletes. Like some of the things they do with their bodies. It's like a naked cirquday sleet. They are impressive. They deserve our respect and they deserve rights, just like everybody else who goes to work.
Speaker 3: Every day.
Speaker 5: You're here, you you you hit on a uh tiff. It's a big industry in Florida. It's bigger, and I can hear the moral voices of folks right now in my ear around this is you know, this is not christ like others. Listen, if the government allows these to exist, and they exist in your cities and te and states and that kind of thing. If it is going to be an industry, then why are we allowing it to continue to be an industry of shame and abuse where people can be taking advantage advantage of and treat it worse than dogs when we allow it to be a sanctioned operating industry. If it's going to be sanctioned and operated, then then at least hold these owners to account that they've got to treat these folks like people, like humans, like employees, like folks who are deserving of integrity in the workplace. So you're not going to hear judgment pass by me on any of it. I'm in full support of if it's going to be an industry, If the sex industry is going to be an industry, then don't let it be in the shadows of places where the CEOs and the lawyers and the doctors and bankers and all these folks get to go at the end of the night or the beginning of the morning, get you know, rocks off, and then it's all you're leaving these folks holding the bag literally and also all the consequences and dangers that come with it. Protect these folks in the workplace period. If it ain't a workplace, then don't let it network.
Speaker 2: Thank Andrews.
Speaker 1: Some of the things that the bill includes are limits of charges. It limits the charges establishments can impose on dancers, mandates club employee training on sexual harassment prevention, human trafficking, identification, conflict de escalation in first aid, the exact kind of protections you all have been talking about. So with that, shout out to Washington State for leading the way. We'll see what else goes down in this in this space, all right, And now we have a listener question.
Speaker 14: I'm DONALDA. McCarthy. I'm a public school teacher in Florida. How can we have better access to the decision makers for road repairs and commercial zoning so that those who want to be business owners in better locations can know to get in at.
Speaker 2: The ground level, literal ground level.
Speaker 14: How can we have better access to decision makers?
Speaker 2: Nice Mayor Gillum, this soundlight one for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, this is straight up municipal I will first of all, thank you for the question, and also thank you for the work that you do educating our next generation. Big sweet spot for me teachers and educators answer the question of getting better access to decision makers when it comes to public infrastructure in the future of where businesses are located, street scape, slow, and so forth. Almost every community I know of it, at least in the state of Florida, has public works departments and a public works director. These are the folks who largely work in the bellows of the government. They're not the folks you see on the television or the local access TV at the city council and county council meetings. These folks work in the government building and so that means any citizen by and large is able to go make an appointment, sit down with, share your ideas, raise concerns with. You know, we were talking on another subject about careerists. These are the careersts. These are the people who spend their life's work understanding the rules and how to make a city function. And I would strongly recommend a lot of people I learned when I was in municipal government just you know, they had concerns and questions they just didn't know the way. They didn't know who to go to. They thought they had to meet with the mayor, or the city council or the city manager in order to advance that idea. And the truth is you can meet with those people. It may take you a little longer to get there. But with these other career service employees, it's their life and they it would be their pleasure. I think I could say it with the fullness of my heart, it would be their pleasure to sit down with people who live in those communities, hear from you about what you want to have changed, and then go to work on your behalf and be very responsible to you all the way through the process. So thanks again for the question. And I think there's a really simple answer to it, which is to go see some of these folks, your public works directors, your facilities management folks, the folks who sit in your small business development offices, sit down with them and let them hear your concerns. I think you'd be surprised how response did they'd be.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Andrew.
Speaker 1: Okay, and now it's time for our calls to action TIF.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start with you me.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have a simple called action.
Speaker 4: I would like to ask our listeners and viewers to help amplify native Land because we talked a bit on this show around the new rules on Instagram, and we post a lot of our content there and I don't know what's going on, but it's like, if you ever said anything political, it feels like a shadow band. It feels like a lot of our content is getting hidden. And so if you don't a lot of times with reels like you would see it in your feed any kind of way. And now with the new rules around political content, it's been harder to get in people's feed. So I would ask you drop our content in your group chat. Make sure you follow all of us on social media, then drop our content in your group chat, share it, post it, clip it, reshare it, rate, review, share, comment, YouTube, Apple podcasts, iHeart podcast all the things because that is a huge help to us. And please, like we always say, it's a conversation, It is not three of us talking at you. We invite you into our political group chat. Send us your comments, questions, make sure they're on video. Make sure don't be sending us no dissertation less than sixty seconds. But we would like to include you all in the conversation, so just keep us in mind as you're getting on those smartphones every day.
Speaker 2: Thanks Tip Andrew, love.
Speaker 5: It co Scientif. But also I spent the weekend. I know everybody in this house is tired of hearing it, but probably not listening to Cowboy Carter, and I just just got to recommend that y'all take a listen if you haven't already, I'm sure most or many of you have. But what I love, love love about the artists known as Beyonce is just the intentionality with every piece of that than I love. Really there isn't There is not a there's not a song, a spot on there that I don't love. But Requiem, which I think is on it is the first star on the album. In it it raps it is not but it also raps the album. And I probably love it the most because it reminds me of another favorite song I have the don't laugh at Me, y'all. The Battle Ham of the Republic is actually one of my favorite songs, and it was written by two abolitionists who were huge supporters of the Union Army during the Civil War, and it just her manifesto there her reclaiming her time if you will, if you're maxing water is her resistance to being put in a box and defined by a genre. It's just a breakout for me, and it's what we do. We just change the game and listen to it, vibe off of it, but also try to pay a little close attention to what the meanings are behind each one of these songs. Is their intentional and I think it's just brilliant.
Speaker 3: R part and learn our history in the Southwest.
Speaker 1: Love it and for mine, I am going to be on the campuses of some illustrious institutions. We started this show talking about, I say so, historically black colleges and universities, and that's exactly where we'll end it. Are we taking my godsend fa on a college tour. I will be at fam you at Morehouse in North Carolina, Central North Carolina, A and T and Howard University next week, So pull up if y'all can. I would love to see y'all and definitely to convince this young man with the three point seven cumulative GPA who loves computer science to get in there. That's an open opportunity for you all to give me him on the spot.
Speaker 2: So there's that, Andrew, You're not biased. There's that.
Speaker 5: Baby. We've got a great computer scientist department.
Speaker 2: By the way, thank you, Andrew. Your time is over.
Speaker 3: This podcast is too.
Speaker 1: We thank you all for you, thank you all for tuning in. Before we end the show, I do want to remind everyone to leave us a review, subscribe to Native lampod. As Tip said in our call to action, we are available on all platforms and YouTube. New episode drop every single Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are Angela Rai, Andrew Gilliam, Tiffany Cross and there are two hundred and fourteen days until the election.
Speaker 5: Welcome home, y'all, Welcome home, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.