Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Here's the big call of the last twenty four hours, Former New York Fed President Bill Dudley saying this, officials must cut, and they must do it now. Dudley writing and Bloomberg Opinion the following. The facts have changed, so I've changed my mind. The Fed should cut, preferably at next week's policymaking meeting. Although it might already be too late to fend off a recession by cunning interest rates, dawdling now unnecessarily increases the risk. Bill joins us for more. Bill, wonderful to go on this kind of journey with interest rates with you, because I remember at the very start of the conversation, coming out of the pandemic, you were one together with the likes of Muhammad Aaleri and Larry Summers, warning that there were going to be inflation pressures and this Federal Reserve needs to hike. You've changed your mind, Bill, And in the piece there are several points you've made as to why you've changed your mind. I want to pick up on what I think was the third one, the labor market Bill. What's happening there that's guiding this Coal.
Speaker 3: I think you can see labor market is slowing, especially evident in the household employment survey, which is much weaker than what we've seen in terms of payroll employment. Over the last year, household employments increased by less than two hundred thousand. I think the labor market, and the second part of the labor market story is, of course, the rise in the unemploying rate. We were at three point six percent a year ago, now we're at four point one percent. And these kind of rises in the unemploying rate are essentially warning signs. Every time the unemploying rate has gone up by more than a half a percent on a three month moving average basis, the US has had a recession. This is a so called SAM roll right now on the sum rule basis, smoothing it three months moving average zero point four to three percent increase. So we're getting very very close to training the SAM rule. You know, Cherry Pollo himself has pointed out the risks now are very much two sided, not one sided. Inflation is much more benign two point six percent for the core PC to flater a year over year, and we'll probably get another good reading on Friday. So I think it's time to start to focus on the risk of the economy, the risk of the labor market, to minimize the risk of recession, which always occurs when the unemployer rate goes up by more than zero point five percent of three month week average basis.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about timing. Then. This was Chairman Poal in Centro Portugal, so not even a month ago. He said, we have the ability to take our time and get this right because the US economy is strong and the labor market is strong. Based on your piece, just on the timing, they might already be too late to fend off a recession. Why are they miscalculating how much time they have, in your opinion, even though they have acknowledged what's developing in the labor market.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they put not very much weight on the some rule, some rules, perfect perfect track records since World War two thirteen and zero. But the interview is that the reason why the unemployer rate's going up is because labor force is growing rapidly, So that's not as disturbing as if the unemployer rate was going up because people are being laid off. The problem with that story is that in the nineteen seventies, we had labor force growth is also extremely rapid som roll held. So I think you said you want to stick with the Sam rule until it's disproved that.
Speaker 1: Said Klaudiassam of the Sum role has actually come on and said people put too much emphasis on my son role and actually backed away from using that as one indicator to really end all be all. Is there anything other than that that creates new urgency for.
Speaker 2: This sudden pivot?
Speaker 1: Really a week before the Fed's meeting.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, if the FED doesn't cut in July and waste of September, it's not going to have a huge effect on the communist ditrectory, except the fact that when the unemployment rates starts to deteriorate, the team seem to be a reinforcing negative feedback loop. Job jobs are lost, people pull back on spending. That leads to cuts in further cuts in the employment and investment. So the striking thing about the Sum rule is not just a zero point five percent threshold, is the fact that every time you've gone through that threshold, the unmployer rate's gone up a lot. The smallest increase beyond when you go beyond zero point five percent is almost two percentage points. So that just tells you that once things get start to unwind in a negative direction, it tends to keep going. And that's why the risk here is significant.
Speaker 1: Bill, your colin got a lot of attention, and in large part because you were on the forefront as John was mentioning of this idea that the FED would have to raise rates much beyond what people currently thought at the time, and that maybe even the neutral rate was going to be higher than what it was in the past based on the weakening that you've seen. Are you rethinking that concept that inflation is going to be structurally higher and that the FED is going to have a harder time combating it in the future.
Speaker 3: Well, if the economy slows and the unemployed right rises, then the downward pressures on inflation are going to persist. You know, two point six percent is really not that far away from the Fed's two percent inflation objection objective, and in my mind that difference is not a sufficient to take a big risk of reces. So I think it's time to the FED to focus on the other side of its dual mandate, which is the employment side. Paul has talked about the fact that the FED has two objectives, inflation and employment, and I just feel like the risks on the employment side are increasing to the points that you want to put more weight on that.
Speaker 2: But a lot of the things you can say as a form of FED official that you can't say as a current FED official. I'm just interested in the communication of this. You can speak your mind now freely with us. You can write the piece on Bloomberg Opinion. Can you imagine what the fallout would be if we had the current New York FED President or the chairman of the Federal Reserve saying the things that you're saying right now at the July FED meeting. Do you think they can even do that even if they thought it well.
Speaker 3: I think if chir Paul was of the view that shared the same view as many, I think he would probably talk to the officials and develop a consensus to move in in July. I mean, I think one of the interesting sort of quandaries of the fetis and right now they've telegraphed it pretty clearly that they're going to move in September, and it's sort of basic question. It was so obvious that you need to move in September, then what are you waiting for? Why not just moving July?
Speaker 1: At this point, there are a lot of people who are associating political reasons for why someone might want to come out and say that now is the right time to cut since the data hasn't weakened that dramatically in the past couple of weeks, we have seen an ongoing deterioration that seems consistent with a normalization bill.
Speaker 2: How do you counter.
Speaker 1: Those accusations that this is being done ahead of an election highly contested where if the economy can keep doing okay, typically the incumbent or the incumbent party does better.
Speaker 3: Well. I think my experience, and I think this is borne out by the Federal over Market Committee transcripts over many many years, is the FED doesn't take politics and consideration at all, and in terms of this timing of monetary policy, ratiing cases or rate cuts, and I think that's appropriate behavior by the Fed. They need to be independent, they don't want it. They shouldn't be taking the election cycle into consideration, and I don't think the Fed is doing that here. I think the reason why the Fed is delaying is I think they were surprise last year when they thought inflation was coming down and it turned out we got a number of disappointing reasonings readings on inflation. I think they're also probably waiting because Paul probably wants to achieve a full consensus, you know. I think he'd like to see a unanimous boat in favor of easing. And the hawks maybe, you know, there may be some people were hawkish on the nefom seed. They are still a bit reluctant. I think ray cuts are definitely coming. I just think that at this point there's not a really strong case for waiting.
Speaker 2: Hi, Bill, it's quite to catch up with this. Appreciate the insight. This piece yesterday and Bloomberg Opinion got a ton of attention. They form a New York Fed President and Bloomberg Opinion columnist Bill Dumpley that on his cove to start counting interest rights