Speaker 1: Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Welcome everybody to it could happen here, a podcast about it happening here. The slow crumbling of the institutions that make up our society, and that includes not just the good stuff that's become the bad stuff, like, for example, Google Search, but it includes the stuff that's always been bad and has gotten worse, like life inside the prison industrial complex, which is partly what we will be talking today because our guest is the great Corey, doctor, activist, writer, author of a book called The Bezel, which is a fiction novel but deals with some very non fictional stuff in relation to how finance schools have changed life for people behind bars. Corey. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me on. It's a delight to be on again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always wonderful to have you. I just finished the Bezel. It took me. It was one of those about a day, you know, in part because I just like didn't want to stop reading it, Like I just kind of blasted through. I picked it up in the morning on a walk and then was done with it at about like nine pm. So I found it pretty compulsively readable. Amazing.
Speaker 3: That's great to hear. With the first one, I knew that I had something going on when I woke up at two in the morning and my wife was sitting up in bed next to me, and I said, what are you doing? And she said, I just had to find out how it ended.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and you said the first one. This is the second book in a series based on a character Martin Hinch, who's a self employed forensic accountant. I do want to let people know right at the jump, I actually have not read your first hinchbook yet, and they don't have to be read an orgy. Yes, yes, that's what I was going to point out before we get into the stuff about the plot of this book and how it relates to some very real things that are ongoing. I wanted to talk about a not so stealth advertisement within the series for a guy that we're both a big fan of, Stephen Bruce. There's an extended digression where Martin is sending books to a friend of his in prison. And you talk a lot about Steven's Taltosh series, which was a huge influence on me as a young person. I could definitely see, I think, an influence on this series as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, Steve is a wonderful writer, and everything he writes is amazing. That particular series, you know, he started when I was thirteen years old. I'm now fifty two. I just had dinner with him in Minneapolis. Or he tells me he's two books away from finishing it. Yeah, Yeah, he had planned the whole thing all those years ago. He's a Zelosny protege. Yeah, and also a giant Fritz liber fan. And the it's got that wise cracking Robert McGee kind of or Travis McGee rather kind of affect those books, and also the stuff that I love about the best of what you know, disparagingly we could call men's adventure fiction, yeah, which is that it at its best. And Maria Ferrell just wrote something really good about this on crooked timber, and it's best that stuff really geeks out about a lot of stuff. That The bad version of it is the kind of James Bond version where it's like, yeah, you know, this is what the status watches, and this is what the status martini is, and this is what the status whatever it is, and that you call that the gourmet version right, where it's like, you know what all the best of everything is and you know how to how to signal you know, your ver blend goods to other people had to signal that you are posh and upper class. But the good version of it is the is the gourmand version, which is like, if you're going to eat cardboard pizza, this is the best cardboard pizza.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you're going to you know, like the very best gas station toilets are and the you know, the one thing that you should always do if you're staying in a flophouse is right, And it's just that kind of it could be like street smarts, but it's also very uh, I want to say self indulgent, but that's not the right word. It's no, it's very uh. It's it's it's there's a lot of self care in it. There's a lot of like deliberate like, oh, this is how I'm going to live my life so that it's as good as possible, and I enjoy all of the finer things as much as I can. This is the thing that I do when I'm making a burger so that it's a ten percent more delicious every time, you know, yeah kind of thing.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's interesting. I came across the first book in that series that I read was Dragon, which I came across a strip cover from my uncle who worked at a bookstore, and that's his like military fiction book in the series, which is very much in line with the like boys adventure stuff. But as the series goes on, it increasingly trends towards like Russian revolutionary literature too. There's a little bit more that which I think get an influence on me. Well, Steve's a Trotskyist, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But the thing about communist fantasy writers, there's a few of them, There's you know, China Mayville and step and a few others well, Shadderley and so on, is that the one thing that they can always be relied upon to do is get the ratio of vassals to lords, right, Yeah, you know that the number of peasants in the field is always vastly larger than the number of lords in the castle, and they all have a life and an interiority and a reason for being there. That's not just being scenery or cannon fodder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's it's something he does. Well. I think that's enough of a digression. I just always love having a chance to talk about Stephen Bruce's work. Let's talk about the Bezel because the basic I mean, I try I will try not to give away more than is in like the good Reads summary, But the basics of this story is that you've got this guy, Martin Hinch, who's this forensic accountant, and as a result, he's friends with some people who have really succeeded in sort of the pre dot com bubble tech industry. I guess you'd say, and you take us with, you know. He goes with one of them to a place called Catalina Island, which is a real place that was founded by one of like our nation's early plutocrats, who had a bizarre obsession with their not being like fast food available on the island. Yeah, he had a lot.
Speaker 3: Of bizarre obsessions. This is William Wrigley, the gum chewing gum fortune, and his first obsession was chickle trees and which you need to make gum. And his particular obsession was owning every chickle forest in the world, which he did, which meant that if you wanted to make gum, even if you were one of his competitors, you had to pay him for the chickle. So there was no gum that wasn't Wriggly's gum. In some important sense, this made him, as you might imagine.
Speaker 2: Very rich.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he bought the Chicago Cubs, is the reason the Chicago Cubs play at Wrigley Field, and they would have their spring training on Catalina Island, an island that he bought. He loved Westerns, and one of the people who lived on Catalina Island was or summered there. Rather was Zane Gray, the great Western writer, and there were a bunch of Zane Gray movies that were made on the island, including one where they brought over thirteen bull bison because they were needed for the movie, and because they didn't know a lot about animal handling, particularly they did not know that male bison do not ever come into contact with one another except to have a violent dominance clash, which is how the thirteen mail bison all ended up escaping. And then Wrigley, in one of his other obsessions, thought it was Unchristian for these bachelor bison to be on his island, so he brought over thirteen cows and created the bison invasive species. Think. He also didn't know that bison operate in harems, which was another thing that he was just badly wrong. Like it is true that like being a billionaire lowers your IQ by thirty points and being the son of a billionaire lowers your IQ by forty points. Yeah, and and you know, Wriggly had all kinds of esthetic ideas in the same way that like, you know, when when Ford built Fordlandia in Brazil, a planned community that was an identical copy of Dearborn Michigan, including the south facing windows, because he wouldn't let his architects explain that south of the equator you want north facing windows. Yeah, you know, he said, oh, well we're you know, like he came up with all kinds of weird rules for rubber planters rubber harvesters in the Brazilian jungle, and Wrigley came up with his own rules for people living on his island.
Speaker 2: And one of them is no fast food.
Speaker 3: And this turns out to be consequential in the story because the protagon of the story, who's Martin Hench, Who's this you know, two fisted, hard fighting forensic accountant who bust finance scams and his pal are on the island in the party scene while his friend waits to vest from Yahoo, where he's been imprisoned by Dent of having sold them a company for millions of dollars, which he can only realize if he can sit tight and not murder any of his colleagues. While they buy and destroy every promising startup in Silicon Valley using the money from the Royal family of Saudi Arabia that was funneled to them by Masiyoshi Son and Soft Bank, they encounter a Ponzi scheme, and the Ponzi scheme is grounded in what is an actual practice of people bringing fast food to Catalina Island. Like if you go to the K twelve school and you have an away game, everyone brings back a sack of burgers for their friends because it's forbidden fruit. It's exotic, and this turns into a Ponzi scheme to sell flash frozen burgers brought to the island by various means. And as with every Ponzi scheme, the thing that they're actually selling is the right to sell, the right to sell, the right to sell burgers. Yeah, no one, No one wants the burgers right. They want the down line. And this is why Ponzi schemes always implode. And what Marty realizes is that this Ponzi scheme is going on, and that it has been cooked up by this guy whose parties they've been going to, this real estate baron, and that he's done it the same way you might carefully tend an ant colony for the sole purpose of burning them with magnifying glasses. You build this enormous sort of Rube Goldberg machine, a self licking ice cream cone, and then you destroy it, you smash it. He's waiting for this economy to collapse once he's extracted every penny from the island, which will add one percent to his net worth, and so they do a controlled demolition of it. They foil this guy's plan, and this kicks in motion the real action in the novel, which is about the private prison system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I love that. In preparing to read this chunk of the book where I learned quite a bit about the private prison system, I also learned a bunch about Catalina Island and this wealthy madman's insane dream. I appreciate that about your books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Catalina Island, and we could go on. Marilyn Monroe is a fifteen year old child bride on Catalina Island. The CIA was founded on Catalina Island. The channel between Catalina Island and the mainland is the deepest channel known to humanity and now dumped fifty thousand barrels of DDT into it in iron that is rusting and that we have no way to remediate, and that will someday rupture and kill every bird downstream of that channel, and also lots of fish. Catalina Island is this very fraught place, this very beautiful place, very weird place. It's one of my favorite places to go. We just booked another trip there, and everything about it is is amazing and also terrible, but also beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and appreciate the way that you write that. And I appreciate the way that you kind of wrap us into by first establishing this character, this friend of Martin's, who then winds up in a California Department of Corrections facility and taking us over a period of time as it goes to the way I think most people think prisons still are, right, the kind of the vision of like prisons that was formed from movies we watched in the early two thousands, in the late nineties, where you know, they can be pretty ugly places, but like you have family and they can come and visit you. Right, there's a big room where everybody gets together with their you know, we arrested developments maybe the most before this all changed, most recent kind of touchstone on this. And also it's a place that has like a library, and not just a library, but like there are what comes with the library is opportunities for people to like better themselves, to learn things, to build skills, to potentially take some more agency of their situation. Right, That idea of like the jailhouse lawyer who comes informed in all that, and that that world has really gone away to a significant extent. It's not completely gone everywhere, but certainly a lot of those a lot of that has been pruned away. The ability of prisoners to have face to face contact with their loved ones and the ability of prisoners to like use a library is something that is a lot less common now than it used to be. And it's because a lot of these a lot of these kind of attitudes that have characterized finance for so long or increasingly become in common within the companies that run these facilities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, maybe this is a good place to explain what a bezel is and how this moment relates to what a bezel is. So I really think the title bezel is a banger. But I didn't realize until I started touring this book that if you say it aloud, it sounds like be eazel, which is the rectanglar on your phone screen. It's actually be easy z l e or a zed zed if you're a Canadian like me. And that is a wonderful term coined by John Kenneth Galbrath to describe the magic interval after the con artist has your money but before you know it's a con and in that moment, everybody feels better off. And one of the great bezel moments was the moment between the crash of the dot com crash of like two thousand and two thousand and one and the crash of the Great Financial Crisis, the housing crash, and in that period, all the money that people put into so called investments and into the market and that made them feel better off, made them feel like they had a pension, made them feel like they had savings, and so on, all that money was already gone. So this is one of the things about a scam is it feels like the moment that you lose the money is the moment you realize it's a scam, But you actually lose the money the minute you give it to the con artist. The con artists might let you keep some of it for a little while, but they can take it away from you whenever they want. That was a moment of kind of giddiness where none of us really wanted the dream to end. We knew that once the dream ended, we would all be poorer, although in reality we're all poorer. Right then, One of the things about that moment is it was the moment when another long con came doe, and that was the long con of the California three strikes rule. So there had been a couple of quite ghastly murders of young people, a teenager and a child in California that were weaponized by some fairly cruel racists to pass a law in California that says that if you were convicted of three felonies, you would go to prison for the rest of your life with no chance of parole. And you know, this is California, which is a place that's quite allergic to hire taxes, famously the home Proposition thirteen, where you know, we can't raise our property taxes unless something like seventy percent of us go to the polls and specifically vote for it, which is why our cities are so cash strapped. And so in this place where you have these anti tax extremist types and you have this increasing tax burden associated with locking up an ever larger fraction of the population for the rest of their lives, you have this unstoppable force and this immovable object on a collision course with one another, because at a certain point, you're just going to have prisons that are so full that you're going to have to do something to relieve them. You're going to have to build more prisons. You're going to have to reduce the cost of operating those prisons. Something's going to give. In the end, what ended up giving was a Supreme Court case that rule that just being in prison in California violated your Eighth Amendment rights against cruel and unusual punishment. That every California prison basically constituted a violation of the Eighth Amendment. And California went through the you know, the five stages of grieving, which I know they don't replicate that it's not real, we don't. That's not really a neat description of exactly what happens when we grieve. But they certainly went through a period of denial and bargaining, including mooting at one point sending prisoners to like Arizona, so sending California State prisoners to Arizona and paying Arizona to take them off their hands. And as all of this stuff was going on, some grifters saw great opportunity, and that opportunity was to cut costs in the prisons and facilitate moving prisoners further and further away from their families by replacing all of the services in the prison with a tablet that you would get for free. Yeah, So remember you know, the iPad comes out in two thousand and eight. Steve Jobs is touting it as the future.
Speaker 5: Of the world.
Speaker 3: Media companies are going crazy. They finally found their daddy figure who's going to save them from tech by you know, siloing everything in an app that isn't part of the web. And all we can hear about is tablets of the future. And this sounds quite futuristic, right, We'll put tablet. We'll give every prisoner a free tablet. It's like one laptop per child, but for prisoners. And those tablets will replace the library and in person visits and phone calls and music and TV and continuing education and all of it's going to cost. And it's going to cost a lot more than you would pay outside of the outside of the prison for the same services. So, you know, four bucks a minute for poster stamp sized video instead of free zoom calls, Yeah, music for three bucks instead of one. And then, of course these companies are very grifty, and so they're constantly restructuring, going bankrupt, being bought, buying one another. And every time that happens, the company changes its name and says, oh, we're no longer the same company. We no longer supply all of those services. We are wiping out all of your data, and you're gonna have to buy it again. And so, you know, if that's music, it means that the song that you pay three dollars for, that you bought by working in the prison workshop for twenty five cents an hour is gone and you're in prison for remember this is California, the rest of your life. And so you're going to have to go back and earn more money to get.
Speaker 2: That song again.
Speaker 3: But also the five dollars your kid paid to have the birthday card that they wrote for you scant because you can no longer get parcels or mail. Your family have to pay to have their letters scanned, or they have to pay to send you email. And so your kid, who's growing up with the principal breadwinner, has paid five dollars to have their handmade birthday card scanned. That goes away too when the prison changes vendors. And it's a kind of perfect parable for the indifferent sadism of capital, like the degree to which the pursuit of profit drives people to be far more cruel than mere ideology.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, yeah, that's so important because like, prisons were not nice before, they were not humane before. But someone who is simply trying to run a government prison facility would not think of the idea of doing like a doing like a shell game yank away of people's music after letting them buy it and then make them buy it again. That's like, that's not something that like a bad prison guard comes up with. That's only something that somebody from somebody from finance comes up with.
Speaker 3: Well, and and you know, you it helps if the way that you're running these prisons is by employing guards through a staffing agency, and so you don't even have to contend with the rising costs associated with staff turnover when prisoners go bug fuck crazy because you took all their shit away. Right, those guards are not your employees, and it's not your problem. The whole thing is is kind of running at several layers of indirection and remove. It's what Douglas Rushkoff calls going meta. You know, the don't drive a cab found Uber, don't found uber invest in Uber, don't invest in Uber, invest in uber derivatives. Don't investor in uber derivatives, invest in uber derivative futures. Right, like go meta, like get further and further away from the useful activities. Yeah, you are insulated from the consequences of whatever it.
Speaker 4: Is you do.
Speaker 2: And that's such a it's part of it's like a recipe for breaking things right, because the people who are closest, not that they're always good at it in the case of prison guards, but the people who are closest to the useful activity tend to know how to make things work right. Whereas the further away you get from that, the more likely your ideas are to break things that you wouldn't have even thought of. And again, but for that kind of person, everything you break is usually an opportunity for financializing something else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: The extent to which finance is the true banality of evil is hard to overstate. Yeah, you know, we think, well, we've heard a lot when you read about the Holocaust and World War Two, you hear a lot about the cruelty of Nazis, and no one's going to say, well, the Nazis weren't cruel and the ideological cruelty of Nazis. So, for example, there were moments where, rather than transporting troops to decisive battles, they were shipping Jews to concentration camps on those same trains and losing battles so they could.
Speaker 2: Murder more Jews.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, But up the road from Auschwitz was another private concentration camp run by ig Farben called Monowitz. YEP and ig Farbin were war profiteers. They were they were gouging the Wehrmacht on war material that they were manufacturing with slave labor, and they bought thousands of slaves from Auschwitz, preferring women and children because they were cheaper, and they worked them to death. And the lifespan of a slave in Monowitz was only three months before they were worked to death. It was half of what it was in Auschwitz. The conditions were so bad at Monowitz that the SS guards who were seconded to it from Auschwitz wrote to Berlin to complain about the cruelty of Monowitz. At the end of the war, in Nuremberg, twenty four Ig Farben executives were tried for this. Their defense was that they had a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to maximize returns, and nineteen of them were acquitted on that basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, and this is you know, before the Chicago School guys had really like fully taken over. So this this idea that like that was really the only responsibility that a business had, even above a moral responsibility, was much less established. Like the more you get into how many, particularly of the money people got off at Nuremberg, like it's maddening stuff. Yeah, indeed, and it is, like I think one an accurate way to look at the Holocaust from the perspective of those guys is the mining of populations, like mining them to death. That's really how a lot of this like because a huge chunk of especially the early stages of Nazi oppression of like starting with German Jews, but going beyond that as they conquered more land, was the appropriation of businesses and property, right, like that was it was, it was mining human beings. And that attitude is persistent. Right, It's not just a thing that happens in Nazi Germany. It happens whenever you let people who don't have any sort of human concern take control of every aspect of life.
Speaker 3: And this is some of the structural stuff that's going on in the book. So my editor on this book is this great guy, Patrick Nielsen Hayden who's been my editor since my first novel. He and I met on a BBS in the nineteen eighties, so I've really known him most of my life.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And Patrick, when he gave me the editorial note on my first novel, he said something like the way that science fiction works is you have a world that is like a thought experiment world, and you have a character who's a microcosm for that world, and they are like a big gear that's the world, and a little gear that's the character. And if the microcosm meshes correctly with the macrocosm, then as the person spins around and around doing their plot stuff, they spin around enough times that the world, the big gear that they're meshed with, makes a full revolution. So you have this microcosm macrocosm thing. And often when a book doesn't work, it's because the microcosmic macrocosmic correspondences aren't sharp enough. There's some way in which those teeth aren't meshing. One of the things that this book tries to do, and that the Martin Hinch books generally try to do, because they're all about these these finance scams, these high tech finance scams set in different eras from the nineteen eighties through the twenty twenties, is that they try to create a series of these similar correspondences between small scams and big scams. You know, they use the small scam as a kind of setup or a frame or like a cognitive tool for understanding the much bigger scam. And so that small scam, that Ponzi scheme, where you have a person who is setting out just for shits and giggles to make some money by destroying a bunch of other people's lives and viewing those people as not as people but as as things, as a means to an end, not as an end unto themselves, ends up creating this sadistic, brutal, pointless, and deliberately unsustainable situation that he knows is going to hurt all these other people. And the way that he's able to do it is by simply not considering the people who are enmeshed in the scheme as fully people entitled to their own sort of moral consideration. And in the same way that is that's like a microcosm for the kinds of decisions that are made when people go on to found these prison tech companies and these other companies that do these these ghastly things.
Speaker 2: And it's it's also very accurate to how an unfortunate number of just like regular people in society and in government think about the victims of these schemes. Like when you when you try to talk about how unfair and how much worse this situation has gotten, it's like, well, they're prisoners, they're being punished, you know, as if, as if that makes it all okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of a it's kind of a like a much more extreme and therefore much more easily spotted version of caveat emptor or you know, not your not your keys, not your coins. You know, these ideas that if if something bad is happening to you, it must be because you did something bad.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: That the kind of providential ethics. And I think that the work that that does for people is it helps them put their own anxiety about their own future to rest, because you know, the if you are worried that something bad might happen to you, and you can convince yourself that the reason that something bad happened to someone else is that they had a deficiency right, they committed a sin, they were foolish, then you don't have to worry about it happening to you. You know, I a couple of times in the last decade I have been the victim of various kinds of con and I am also someone who's written a lot about cons So I've been successfully fished once and I had a phone scammer talked me out of my credit card number once. And I always write about it when it happens, and I write about it in part because I want to make sure that people understand that, you know, you're not too smart to be conned, anyone can be conned and so on, and I think that's an inoculant against getting conned. But I also do it because the reactions are a kind of sociological study.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: If you want to see into the minds of tech bros who justify the terrible things that they are doing or planning to do, or fantasizing about doing or working on to other people, look at their fraud apologetics where they say, you know, oh, that was just a business and you know you had a caveat emptor or you were lazy, or you were foolish, or you know, like you did something deficient and that's why it happened, and so you deserved it. And that means, on the one hand, it's never going to happen to me because I don't deserve it. And on the other hand, if I ever do it to someone else, that's fine because if they fall victim to it, then they must deserve it. The old con artist saying that you can't cheat an honest man.
Speaker 2: As a version of this, Yeah, and it's I mean, that's like it's such a limited view of it, right, because it's true that, like there are some cons that you can't trick someone into unless they have a little desire for some larceny, right, But like an increasing number of cons are just like a company using your bank phone number calling you and telling you you've been defrauded, and you give them information because you're not used to the or or somebody calls using the voice of your child and says that they need a ransom payment. Right, you're not there's not like dishonesty in your heart because you don't want your kid to be kidnapped. You're just not ready for what tech has been able to do, you know.
Speaker 3: And while there are some of those cons where they you know they're they're playing on your cupidity or your dishonesty. Yeah, to make money off of you. Even in those instances, it is downstream of a system where it feels like you can't survive unless you're cheating, right, like the one of the things. And so multi level marketing is actually a theme that runs through all of these books. That The next is set in the nineteen eighties and it's it's about a faith scam. It's an early PC company I made up called the Three Wise Men, run by a Mormon bishop, a Catholic priest, and an Orthodox rabbi who use, you know, affiliate marketing through congregations to prey on their own faith groups. And one of the things about these Ponzi schemes, these pyramid schemes, is that they take the only capital that working people have, which is social capital, right the relationships they have among one another, and they convince them that it is entrepreneurial and therefore virtuous to instrumentalize your relationship to the other women in your life who help you look after your kids, or to your coreligionists who you can turn to if things go really bad at work or with your family or whatever. And that turning that into a transaction that you can milk, you know. Turning those people into a down line who have to recruit other people to make you whole so that you can feed your own upline is just hustling. It's just your shot at the American dream. You know, Spike Lee telling you that investing in shit coins as building black wealth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I it is like the the fact, and I think low key, this is one of the top couple of problems that we have in this society because it feeds into everything else. It's like it's a I think that's probably why it runs through so much of your work, because this the scam economy, is behind every and it's increasingly becoming everything right, and there's this kind of pernicious effect where by people don't the more people are victimized by this, both the less they trust other people and the more the more they begin to accept that, like, well, this is just how you get by in our society, right, Why shouldn't we take away prison libraries and replace them with more expensive kindle that we can yank away at any moment. Everyone's always nickel and diming me. I'm always getting more money taken away from me. By these same people. And I'm not even in prison, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, why shouldn't there be junk fees in prison if there's junk fees everywhere else, If you're if you're you know, local water company that's owned by your city is sold off to uh, you know, plug a hole in the budget because you can't raise taxes. And then they start charging you a convenience fee to pay your your water bill with a check, and then a different convenience fee to pay your water bill with a credit card, and a third convenience fee to pay your water bill in person with cash. And then you realize that, like there that none of these are convenience fees. They're just they're just fees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just more money. Yeah yeah, I mean we're in we're in a pretty infuriating situation here, and you get to that in the bezel, you really get that across well as this guy is trying to deal with the and and it kind of brought home to me the horror of like having someone you care for in this situation and seeing like their avenues for any kind of relief edged out chipped away at for the profit of some guy who will never notice the money in his bank account.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean, and you know that, unlike Steve Brucet, I well, like Steve brust in some of those volumes, I told this story from the perspective of a fairly powerful person who's got a lot of agency, only because it gives you the opportunity to tell a story that at least holds out the possibility of some relief. I'll leave it to the reader to find out what actually happens at the end. And you know, there have been successful prisoner uprisings that have been led by working people who are serving long terms, but for the most part those uprisings, we never even hear about them. You know, there was a prison labor strike before lockdown. I believe it was twenty eighteen or twenty nineteen. There's a national prison labor strike, and it barely made a dent in anyone's consciousness. It was, you know, ultimately one of the largest strikes in modern American history. You know, there're thousands and thousands of workers were on strike, and we didn't even hear about it. Because there's such control over the narrative about prisons and prisoners that's run by the carcerl system. And so you know, by telling this story about someone who goes into prison already a millionaire and who has a friend on the outside who's kind of a hustler and you know, a pal and who is someone who knows how to finagle the system, I can spin out a yarn that takes you, like back to Patrick Nielsen Hayden and the Big Gear driving the Little Gear takes you on a three hundred and sixty degree tour of how fucked up the system is rather than just the ant's i view or the worm's eye view that most people get because they aren't even able to explore all the avenues and run into their dead ends because they're just stuck where they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been wonderful. I want to again let people know your book, The Bezel is in stores now. You can purchase it wherever fine books are sold. Do you have a preferred URL for buying it?
Speaker 3: The Dashbezel dot org is fine, but wherever people want to get it. Yeah, it's a national best seller for the third week running.
Speaker 4: It's very good.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: Whoever feeds into the USA Today bestseller.
Speaker 2: List you apparently that's wonderful. Yeah, well, Corey, doctor, do you have anything else you wanted to get to before we roll out today?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess you know, if you want to follow the work that I do. Pluralistic dot net is a newsletter that I write every day or almost every day, and it's open access it so that means it's Creative Commons licensed. You can reproduce it. You can reproduce it and sell it if you want. And there's no DRM, there's no tracking, there's no you know ads, there's no anything. It's you know, black type on a white background. You'll never get to pop up asking you whether you want to subscribe to my mailing list or whatever. Yeah, and the email version of it, you can get it as an email list. The email version also no tracking. I can't tell when you've opened the email or anything. I keep no statistics, and I just it's a letter in a bottle I write and throw into the ocean every morning. And it's great. That's so much fun to write.
Speaker 2: It's a great letter in a bottle. You've been talking writing a lot, talking a lot about AI lately and kind of the how that all feeds into a lot of this stuff you've been covering about or the stuff you write about often about you know, bezels and scam economies. And I've really enjoyed getting your take on that because I think you're one of the one of the people who hasn't lost their minds over all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, I think we're really like so that we hear so much about AI disinformation and the people who have like most fallen prey to AID information are bosses who've been convinced that AI is good enough to fire you and replace you with and you know, it's it's not true. It doesn't mean they won't do it, right, but it's not true. Yeah, that's that's actually kind of the worst of all worlds, right, technological unemployment without without actual replacement. It's just it's just another basil. It's a yeah, it's a It's that long moment where you think you've zeroed out your labor force costs, but you haven't realized that you're no longer productive because the chatbot keeps, you know, as in the case of Air Canada, just like telling people they can get refunds they're not entitled to. And then you know, regulators come along and smack you around and charge you, you know, find you for your chatbot having lied to people about their bereavement, flight discounts and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, I'm looking forward to to that moment hitting. I guess because where we I mean, I do kind of think we are sort of nearer to the bursting than we are to the peak of the bubble right now, But I guess we'll see.
Speaker 3: Well, remember, the market can remain solvent irrational rather longer than you can remain solvent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I've been predicting the collapse of the London housing bubble, for example, for a very long time. We're nowhere near it. Yeah, so that is my humbling lesson. It is definitely a bubble. It is going to burst when it's going to burst, and is very very very hard to predict.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what will burst with it? Yeah? Well, Corey, thank you so much for being on the show. Again. Everybody, check out the Bezel Wonderful book, and check out Corey's other wonderful books like walk Away. That's the episode. I have a good one, Thanks Robert.
Speaker 6: Hello, everyone, welcome to the podcast today. We have a very interesting issue. You're very lucky to be joined by Onomo, who we've heard from before who is a minister who is hindering in the National Unity Government of Burma or Myanmar. Both of those words are okay, And we're talking about the situation of Rhinga people and the development sort of happened in Rakaine State since I guess since the beginning of Operation ten twenty seven. So welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, thanks for having me, and it's good to be back with you to this show.
Speaker 6: Thank you. Yeah, no, it's wonderful to have you back and we're very fortunate. So I wonder if we could start by summarizing for listeners the things that have happened in the last few months in Rakaine State, because there have been some massive changes since maybe listeners will last aware of what was happening there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, thank you. Since the coup, the over on and off bikes in the Arkan Army and there, and the Malasia hunters process in Rakinda State, however, in the interests of the of the of the humanitary and neat both parties came to enter to a ceasefire peven In between, however, the fight against the military junta in and Mark started in different part of me and Mark continued to be accelerating and most recently the ten twenty seven and followed by others operations in in crime estate has has been has been quite rapidly spreading across the country and that's definitely went through a kinda state where resumed to target the the the junta in its polotopical objective to be to be reaching uh uh. That's the situations we are today that the Arcan Army has been in very goods to be dismantling the Hunter's forces in our kind of state, and so far since Operation twenty seven ten twenty seven staled more than half of the township districts in our kind of state has been ceased by the Arkhan Army, including some of those were majority of Ringa lifts. And it's continued to be under in the very literarating situations.
Speaker 6: Yeah, at the end, they've they've even sunk Hunter ships or captured them in some cases. I think it's been a bit of a that there was a video that was quite like maybe not viruls around word. Certainly I saw a lot but of border guard forces right, which are like a militia's allied to the Hunter and fleeing into Bangladesh.
Speaker 4: This this another the border guard process are from mostly from militaries. They are tree militaries. Their uniforms are changed into reguard force due to different agreement with that exists between two states in allocating. It's true along the border side and the border guard forces are one of the most primary forces that's deported through Highen and run the Rohingia's sources in twenty seven and make them flee. So six years later they saying the GPS who committed to the crimes against the Rhinga atrocities that include crimes against humanity and war crimes had to flee to Bangladesh in a quite similar way to refuge. And so it's sort of karma or whatever you put it in a way and the perceptions and reality of course when it's it's kind of confrontations between the two groups Arcan Army and the military compless sources. The reality that has been defined by most of ours ninianmar and the course that we used to believe that the Burmis malitary is a strong vote by human resource and equipment and then in reality they are very weak and our army has proved by dismantling a various battalion in country battalion and even capturing alive like second ice commanding officer in the whole of the kind of state. And also many senior level officer has been has has been killed over this. That so the reality perception has been deeper on the NMR malanitary when we look it from from external perspective.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think just in case listeners aren't familiar, it can be very confusing if you don't read about this stuff all the time. It's sort of an alphabet soup of organizations, and especially with reference to Rahinga and Rekind State, because we have Rahinga armed groups, so armed groups which drove mostly for Ngar people that don't necessarily represent them all, and then we have the AA. Son, can you explain the AA's relationship to Kind State and then how they relate to Rehinga people.
Speaker 4: He has been established in two thousand and nine with aims to be having confederations and not less than war, which is another special regions now with a special autonomy, and it has been led by some young people and it has been quite a leadership as well within their kind political structrum. And he has been growing very apidally and the acceptance of the of the people, particularly or kind people has been very high. Therefore, the resource allocations that he got from human resource to other resources to be rapidly coping with that group growth has high end that put them in a position to be standing in front of Hunta in a very stronger positions and defeat them and very rapidly. And of course the Arkhan Army which we refer here as AE, is not as inclusive as ra kind. Ra kind of state is very diverse and it has got a multiple ethnic group. The largest ethnic group is Rakin religiously with these people and to which the majority of army's leadership derived from there, and the second largest majority, which are the Rowinga and Toroinga, are still the second largest majority in the rack kind of state. Despite a milion being pushed off to Bangladesh in twenty seventeen and several hundred thousand spread it across the region, and the inclusivity in an Arcan Army is still still not there. When we talk about Ringa, that's know that there might be some small a small number of Rhingias in different battalions of Arkan Army and the administrative units that they're building at a very crossroot level. However, the the the Rhinga need to be included both by functions and in order to have to describe that relationship and inclusively between the Rhenia people and the Arkan army.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's that Arakan Is that Rakhan is the name of the area before it was called Rakayan state? Is that right?
Speaker 4: Correct? It's even it's before Burma became Burma. Arkhan was a king kingdom and it used to have its own palace and its diversity, it's high page and it's natural resources. And then of course the Burmese colonizations happened to Burma and h and later on Kan has been named as rakinda state.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it describes a geographical rather than ethnic identity, right, which is distinct from some of the other revolutionary organizations like rank or any or what have you.
Speaker 4: I think there are similarities and as well as there are differences when when when you put them together, and and from a diversity perspective of a kind of statey, it's very diverse compared to other ethnic groups. And and also it's politically very complex. Uh So, the the the the but over their overall similarities as well, like like you know, all are fighting to defeat the hunter, to to end the dictatorship in Meanmar. But the the the the primary thing here is the self interminations and self autonomy, like people want to decide to determine what is their present and official look like, how they want to treat with their past. That's the the the the the aspect. But of course the the like to my to the best of my knowledge, these ethnic resistance organizations, both political and and and and the armed groups have never claimed that they want to separate from me and Mar. Yes, it's coming together in a different way. The holding together would be in a different way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And even when they speak to Bama people who are like the majority ethnicity and the ethnicity from which the junta's leadership had rule, and like they tell me, they're committed to a federal and like a federal Mianma with autonomy for these different regions and groups. And that's something that has held that coalition together.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, approximately more than fifty million populations majority are Aburmese Buddhists, and they have been having this Buddhist supremacy and like Bama's supremacy over ethnic and religious minorities across the country, and of course Katchin current and others and went to Desromine when their future by by themselves and have the equality both their functions and number. And that's where we're having these seventy years long civil war. You know, that's came to collective revolutions in twenty twenty one, and history really speaking, people have been fighting in Enmark for equality, justice and to end the cycle of impunity for the last seventeen plus years.
Speaker 6: Great, I think that's a great place to take our first advertising break. All right, and we're back. I think he did an excellent job of explaining the history the Goddess here, and people will be very familiar with the trustees committed by the Burmese military and its proxies against the Rhinga people, I hope. But one thing that's been happening recently which are particularly appalling is the forced recruitment of Bahinga Peoplehinga people by that same military, right, can you explain what's been going on?
Speaker 4: So the the conscriptions law has been reactivated. It has been there large by the previous military cats, but it has not been active and so since the Hunter has been falling apart and collapsing. Not only were the kind of state across the country there wherever they fight, they lose, and they are battalions by battalion. That's uh, that's running away the to Thailand, running away to India, running away to Bangladesh and and putting white black. And there are several casualties. And apparently the Hunter became the largest military equipment supplier to the to the revolutionary force where we did not get we did not get international support when when young people actress, models and writers points decided to to go to the forest to do to fight against this cunter and there was little to no international support. And we have been struggling to to to equip ourselve to to fight this center. And and of course the the resilience and the courage that young people had and the tactical and strategy capacity that the ethnic Resistance organization had in combined became a factor. UH to have an strategic sourcing of the military equipment and Hunter like battalion by battalion. You don't need to buy the weapons and military tang and things like that. You you go and fight one battalion and they run away or they die and then you take over the That's how the the the whole old thing started in in In then when they are losing uh, they reactivated the conscriptions law and started to in the of making mandustry everyone to be serving by force in the military by terms. And of course when it's come to a kind of state or a kind of state. The six hundred thousand RINGA and T one hundred and fifty to sixty thousand of them has been in concentration camp, consolidated in one place with movement restrictions, no access to education, healthcare and things like that, where they have been living more than a decade in some of those camp and villages where those people who are not in the camp as well has been imposed by additional movement restrictions, so you don't need to really go and mobilize and people to be forcefully recruiting. And at the beginning the junta went to them and to give them sort of show them incentive of like you will become the citizens and will give that and we'll give that, and you need to fight against the Arcan army and of course the grassroot the leader community leader responded in a way that they need to respond to reject the the the requests from from the from the military, hometown and mality started to of course, I posted by using the force and as I mentioned earlier, they will need to like when you have consultilated people that amount of young people doing nothing and you just go and catch them and put them on a truck, and some of them don't know where they are going because their whole life has been in this camp. Like when you're six years old and you are now eighteen and you're it's an industry for you to be serving in the military and you don't know what is happening in our side of your camp. Because yeah, so that's how really the the and then we got these news and of course we have been talking different community leaders and the community has been approaching to us as a government and we make uh. There are several media coverage as well. Then the military started to say that these Bengalis are not referring to the Hinga, are not the cities. Therefore there is no way that we make them served in the in the military. So those are fakings that. So they use these States propaganda TV channel and the state newspaper which is now under control of SUCK to deny that. And on seventh October, seventh sorry, seven March, the the those who they have conscripted, uh more than five hundred has been brought into into the commanding office of the Hunter to be training in full uniform. Some of them those inside there has got managed to get internet internet access and then said to me the video footage, what is happening on the inside there, So I posted that on my Twitter and and then it's it's spread it from there and then we called them like their denial initially the lives that they have been putting by denying that Roo we're not conscripted, all was wrong. And then a few days later they have been sent to the front line to fight against a And then there are hundreds of those rough hingers who were who died in this front line while and the Hunter. The Cake came back a few days later talking to their family saying that Okaye, hundred plus people has died and we don't know who is who and when we bring your dead body, you will be able to be identified. And the first dead body that they brought and handed over to the clumby and the community leader with one million jets, which is three hundred and fifty dollars plus one hundred kg of rice as an incentive for the life that they have given in the fighting. So that's the situations and we can of course continue.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's very bleak, isn't it? So this and we've seen like just today actually people have been online today there was a protest in Rapine State somewhere for a hindred people rejecting the raconomy. Can can you explain like that that might not be what it seems on the face of it, right? Can can you explain what might be happening there?
Speaker 4: The situations in ra kind of state has been very much complex because there are there are hidden factors being created ar officially created by the Hunter. For so long from the two thousand and twenty twelve twenty seventeen, between these different communities, there has been always interdependency and social equation to somewhat level. But HUNDA always used the divide and rule methodology to bring the conflict between these community and hate each other and then they can carry out what they need to do as a powerholder. And of course when the Arcan army is getting greater control over a kind of state and the hunter is losing the the Melochiy hunt and it used all tactics that they have, including the the the UH, the intercommunal tensions, and and so they there are Ruhinga, few Ringia maybe who has businesssess with this hunter, are being used as a proxy to push pressure or pressure on the Ruhinga and to organize. And so that's why the protest started a few years ago in one of the townships in the China state. We're eighty to ninety percent are Rringa and claiming that we don't want war and we don't want ee. And of course this can be happening artificially organically, and it's so artificial, and anyone who looks into this video footage, I can see that the Ruhingia never had in their life, like those who are protesting never know what is means. So a freedom of expression means And suddenly in one random morning, one hundred hundred of Rwinga, including minors, children coming on the street and protesting is not something normal. It can happen without the U And of course majority of the of the Rhingia are peace loving people and they want Burma to be an inclusive federal democracy and they want to be part of it and weird. That's why I myself as a Ruhinga taking a leading rule in the government as the first Rhina holding back ministrial positions in the cabinet since nineteen sixty two. And of course the Ruhingo equally want the to end the dictatorship once and for all because that very junta has been committing trustity scrims, including crimes against humanity and to genocides to Uringa. This is the very same military who devoted a million ringa killed more than twenty four thousands of people in burning children's life in twenty seventeen. So in which way that's the collectively will come and ascend with this hunt were the whole country. So this is not this is really not something organic, and this is artificial. This is too big and this is so like Hunter made to fit into be fitting into their political propaganda.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think one has to when I was looking at things in memr be aware that the Hunter just doesn't care about lying. It's something they've done for a long time. I apparently can't download iHeart podcasts in Memo now, like someone tried to download our podcast there and so they had to use a VPN. But yeah, they manipulate the media environment heavily, like you can read Hunter newspapers and some of its comically false. But one thing I did want to talk about is like when I talk to young PDF fighters, and I've spoken to dozens of them now, people who are Koreny, people who are Korenne, people who are a people who are kitchin they a lot of them say to me that, like what happened in twenty seventeen was atrocious and at the time they didn't realize because of this manipulated media environment, they didn't realize that the way the Rahinda were being treated was so appalling, and that now they're very upset about what happened. And like for them, I guess the litmus test for like a future for Burma is one that can include Rahinja people and so like with that in mind, I guess we've seen this kind of changing of language, right where previously they were referred to as Bangladeshi and then now they're referred to as Muslim or Hinga people. I guess can you just explain, like what is the n UGPDF kind of like how how do we ensure independence and safety for a Hingo people in Myanmar in a federal, democratic future without a dictatorship.
Speaker 4: We're in a context of identity politics where the identity is so much associated with very rights, whether it's political, social, and economical right that you deserve and what you need to give back as an active of the citizens and obligations to the country that you belong. Therefore, the identity the Rhinga is a primary thing for Ruhinga to be enjoying equal freedom and to be able to contribute equally as others in the nation building process. And of course before twenty seventeen, even before that, there has been a lot of misinformation. Disinformation is propagram that are widespread state sponsored against the Rhinga to that could be misleading and incitement of violence. And the Troum Bengali is a rum that's reefer that you're coming from Bangladesh illegally and you're illegally as you settling. That's how the terms came from. False.
Speaker 2: It's a false accusation.
Speaker 4: It's false accusations. And the the the Ruhingia people has existed in the kind of states side by side with your kind people, even Burma became Burma and they are historical facts that there are so many undeniable things that you could you could look into and into into various historical facts. And so the in between. Of course, the Rhingia the trum become illegal and the military denied it, rejected it, and then they started to use the tram Bengali and the most of the Burmese people fall into that trap. And even somewhere either silent in this horrific genocideal attack in twenty seventeen or somewhere taking side of a military at that time that that is okay to kill and it's okay to And of course these are being being propelled by all misinformations and disinformation that our earlier mentioned and twenty twenty one attempted could happened. And that's where a new perspective is being offered to the people of Me and Mar, because the same militory that has been carrying out atrocities clans against the Rhingia and other minorities came to Largerma people doing the same thing. So what has been told to us by the Ruhinga and the religious and ethnic minority in the end Mar for the decade came to be true, and that's how the acceptance of the Ruhinga has started to grow. Of course, it's not to the level that we would be satisfied with yet, it's a process and there is so much to unlearn because one provoking factor like attempted to should like wouldn't fix a problem, a problem that has been there for for decades. And a National Unity government declared that we accept the chum Ruhinga, and there has been a policy stating very clearly in twenty twenty one June, and that policy to be implemented of course when the situation is conducive, and there are significant challenges with the territorial control and things like that when it's come. But again, the momentum that I mentioned we got as a result of extreme evolutions need to be maintained in the higher scale. That's not only the ruhinga and anything that's wrong, that's primarily that's principle and value are strong. I need to be able to see it wrong, regardless of whoever it is and regardless of race and religion. If we are talking about federal, inclusive democracy, we cannot preach to our people or international community saying that support us or asking for support or be a part of this movement where we see a sepri floud fishers and inclusive federal democracy. We're actual values that we are not practicing by ourselves. So before we preach, we need to we need to act upon those principles by ourselves. And overall, I would say, the all the loss that we had, including life and livelihood, that hundred and hundred of people, thousands of people has been killed, jailed, and hundreds of villagers, township has been destroyed, the good thing that we got is the the these consciousness on the morality.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And if we're able to accelerate that consciousness at the greatest scale, that's where we will be able to maintain the values and principle of the inclusive federal democracy. That would be the pillar to maintain this as a process.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think. So it's really fascinating to talk to young people talking to some manly PDF people not so long ago, and they were like, oh, yeah, well, when we left, we were told that like the Tang would hate us because we're Burmese and they would fight us. And then they're like, oh, they're really nice. Like this is a guy right next to me and they're like because they're joined up together. Now the PDFs and and the eros are largely fighting like side by side against is there like the PDF forces present in rakind state as well.
Speaker 4: No, there is Arkan Army particularly which is an allies with the with the we have been there have been multiple intract like you know, there are we have Alliance Relations Committee that we deal with all the alliance as National Unity Government and of course they have been playing in an important role in defeating the content. And there is no PDF in in the Kinda state.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, so it's a little different there. Other often the PDF and the eras are very similar in fight side by side.
Speaker 4: Also, our army is not tracked alone in a state. They're almost also in in Sharna State and they're yes, fighting with not only in the kind Of state. So like when we talk about like even though the physically PDFs are not there, it doesn't mean that there is no military connect to military connections between the ethnic organizations that exists across the country.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and like we've seen that a lot since October and like since the Three brother Alliance started their campaign that moves hunter forces to one place and that allows other people like the KARENI to take advantage of the way those forces have moved and they've liberated huge parts of their territory. So it's all joined, I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The tricky part that they have used in the past is like hidden cut, is that they will do sea fight in one part of the country and they will allocate all of their resources in another part of the country, and where they will defeat or they will at least like come to bargaining positions, let's not fight anymore, and and you stay where you are and don't don't try to like you know, and and and it's hunta who violate again all all these agreements that usually so and and this time it's so coordinated across the country that the junta like cannot be able to position themselves or estrategize themselves or put then themselves in the tactical positions they're all tactic did not work in the modern coordinations of the PDF and Ethnic Resistance Organization.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, They've tried multiple times to have that little individuals fires and it hasn't worked. So I wanted to ask just just to finish up people I think who listen to this will be very familiar with the situation in Meama, and they want to help, and they see that the international community is doing nothing, and I think a lot of people are rightly very upset about that. So what what can people do to help and especially to advocate for a hanger people.
Speaker 4: Particularly when it's come to the Rhinia people Ringer people crisis is so much interconnected with Burmese democratization process. Ruhindia will not be able to have a life that dignified, say, and in their place of origin unless the Burma is solely in the hand of a civilian government. So the democratization process that whole verm is attempting to make need to be supported by international community. As I mentioned earlier, so far we got little to no international support. And on the on the Ruhinga crisis as well, there's one million people in Bangladesh where their Russians are cuts to eight dollars per month per person and which is a cup of coffee in the United States, and there is a greater danger of hunger restorations and malnitary nutrition and UH and so many other social economic problems that would have an impact on the regional security stability and things like that if the shortfall remains UH funding short call remains for for for for for for for the India. That's on the Humanustrian and and of course Rhingia need to be politically organized in order to be to be fitting into the changing political dynamic of Meanmar. Duringia has been oppressed, they were not able to study organizations, they were not able to be elevating themselves. So all these societal leadership aspects need to be supported, including having a company like having an organized political platform for for Ringa which will be able to represent Shuringa in the larger political table UH, ensuring their voices are heart and there able to equally take the rights that they deserve and more importantly equal equally able to contribute to a decision that will have an impact on their life. And the United States has determined the crimes against Ruhinga as genocide two years before. And of course the genocide discrimination does not simply is an announcement. It's come with the moral and legal responsibility. So we do want to require the United States and it's people to formally extent on the moral and legal obligations that it has in ensuring that the Rhinga are able to live equally peacefully and more importantly, the justice that they deserve on the physical and mental damage that happened as part of the genocide. And it was picked in twenty seventeen, it's continued to be happening today and even today one hundred and fifty people were arriving in Archie, Indonesia, where the Indonesian people who were showing greater humanity in opening their arms and parts to be accepting Ruhinga, are denying the rhinga. So for the Ruhinga, there is little to no space to be accommodated, both in regional and international and local setting, and it is very important that we are able to tackle and navigate these issues together with the international community in an innovative, effective, efficient and sustainable way for the sake of humanity. And there are competing priorities across the world, but the international community is we are so aware of that international community is capable of doing more than one thing at a time. It doesn't have to be either or.
Speaker 6: No, it can be both and it should be right like obviously people are very concerned with the plight of Palestinian people, rightly so at the moment, but yes, we should remember that as a Muslim people have been subject to genocide for the last needed for seven years, as I suppose, and it's ongoing, and they deserve our support and solidarity as well. Yeah, I hope, yeah, yeah, I mean it does seem like I guess a little more hopeful than it was even a couple of years ago that there will be a democratic mean and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the journey is is almost think and what we need is greater international support. Like support doesn't mean just you know, releasing the statement, meaningful comprehensive support that we are able to defeat this Manta once and for all for the sake of people of Me and Mark fifty plus million people giving the price at the highest possible price in their life that include again the lives and livelihood. An international community was not doing more than condemnations for releasing a statement of concern over the last three years. It's time to act and international community again has to answer this question to next generations when there's a questions on the morality we're the internetional community. When the genocide comes against community and work careme has been happening to meally anything send people in the eyes of international community.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I hope they do. And it's incredible the progress that has been made without that support.
Speaker 1: And I think.
Speaker 6: It's just incredible to me that even I remember in twenty twenty one talking to people who were just beginning their fight, and to see how far they've come is outstanding. Yeah, and yeah, people should be very proud of that. But it doesn't mean that they don't need more support.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 6: Doesn't mean that they don't need surface to our missiles.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, that it's the thing that we should be doing. Thank you so much for joining us. We really appreciate your time and your insight into this. Is there anywhere where people can find you online if they were to follow on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they can follow me on my tutor and Facebook and I it's my tutor is a K two okay, and my my Facebook is like my name. If you type my moo it will appear. So yeah. Yeah, looking forward to seeing you in near future. Yeah, thanks, thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, welcome.
Speaker 4: Let's take it out here.
Speaker 5: The podcast being recorded to a page of pain killers. I'm your host, via Wong, I'm fucking dying.
Speaker 6: Yeah it would be yeah, yeah, Phantalem episode even waiting for it here it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the other thing that's dying was dying has died sort of was a bunch of French colonists in Algeria.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the French Empire as a whole. One could say, yeah, thank God, Jesus Christ, why did you let these people have an empire? Terrible idea?
Speaker 6: Yeah, not an empire the abroad France, right, like like the little parts of France which just happened to be in Africa, totally a normal thing, which particular part of the French Empire? Are we talking about it? Many many such cases of French French Empire taking l's. Not that that's unique, to be fair, also a British empire to the load of l's.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So today we're talking about Algeria, and I think one of the things that I sort of realized about how the Algerian Revolution is remembered in the.
Speaker 2: West is okay.
Speaker 5: So there's there's the kind of the Frank Herbert react where they saw people who were Muslim in the streets and were like, holy shit, it went insane for seventy years. Yeah, yeah, to be fair, to be fair, that was also poorly partly being driven mad by the Portland Dunes, which, like you know, like I get sometimes sometimes you're driven, you're driven completely insane by dunes. But you know, so there's that's that's there's a sort of reactionary memory of it. There's a sort of memory that functions in inside of like the American military where you know, Algeria's remember it is one of those sort of like examples of failed.
Speaker 2: Kind of insurgency.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then there's there's the memory inside of the American left, which is largely confined to Fenn and the movie The Battle of Algiers.
Speaker 6: Yep, classic movie to be.
Speaker 5: Fair, Yeah, great movie, like nothing nothing, a good good movie. However, Kama, this is a real issue because the Battle of Algiers again, great movie ends in nineteen fifty seven. Finan great theorist dies in nineteen sixty one. Now notably, Algeria gains independence nineteen sixty two.
Speaker 2: So okay.
Speaker 5: The issue with this is that people kind of broadly know the outlines of the First Algerian Revolution, but the Second Algerian Revolution, the one where the Algerian working class season is the control of the means of production, attempts to run them Autonomous League is just has completely faded into the mists of history. I talk about it, no one has any idea what the fuck I'm talking about. And this is kind of startling, because you know, up until there's probably like there's like a four year span where the Algerian Revolution is the sort of like capital S, capital R social revolution, like it's the big one, is the one people all over the world taking inspiration from, and then it kind of, you know, it flounders out for reasons that we're going to talk about, and also the culture revolution starts and everyone lashes onto that. But it's sort of fascinating to me that this the second part of the revolution and the part that everyone was really excited about, which is the core of the revolution being worker self management, and that being the sort of great theoretical innovation of Algeria and socialism that has just completely faded for memory. It's just gone, and so today we're talking about that revolution. Unfortunately, one of the most detailed studies on this I'm can be citing from a lot is in Clegg's Worker Self Management in Algeria. Now, this is a good book. However, Comma Clegg is uh, He's a very specific kind of crimogeny Marxist guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm familiar with that kind of guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so like the back third of this book is him engaged in a protracted ideological war with phenomen over the nature of revolutionary consciousness, which is largely pointless and goes nowhere. So many sues, you know, but it is a very very detailed and very useful account of what actually happened after the First Revolution, like after the French are forced to pull out of Algeria, and what happens effectively is well, we need to go back a little tiny bit, so there are you know, there is a staggering slaughter of people who attempt to resist French colonialism. Like a lot of the sort of techniques that are going to be used in Vietnam, they are going to be used all over the world. And kind of insurgencies are developed in Algeria in this period. I'm going to read a quote from Clagg about what they were doing. The use of air power in napalm to clear cover made movement inside the country almost impossible. The construction of mind and electrified barriers along the border with Tunisian and Morocco kept the better trained and armed elements of the Liberation Nationale from coming to support the gorillas and moving in supplies. One of the most successful moves encountering goerrilla activity was the policy of regroupment, initiated by General Chalet. This strategy, learned from the British and Malaysia, involved moving the rural population out of areas favorable to the gorillas and resettling them in camps on their military guard, and estimated two million peasants were treated this way, creating vast social and economic problems for the future. So, like they put two million people in concentration camps.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, according it like Grey group more is a a fucking exercise in like and marketing. Like rarely have I seen something so nefari named, like we're regrouping them parentheses in a fucking concentration camp.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And this is this is a strategy that you know, so the British sort of start doing this in Malaysia. A lot of it's derived from attempts to counter you know. And this isn't really an episode about that ter and revolution, but I want to talk about this a little bit. It's it's it's design as a way to counter sort of MAOIs insurgency campaigns, which is the sort of you know, the becomes the new template for like the season that. Yeah, and it's because it works really well, and you know, like the key thing of Maoist like well, I mean there's a couple of things obviously, but like one of the key elements of it is this is this line for Mao is it like the gorilla moves to the people like a fish moves through the sea. Right, So it's about like it's about building social basis such that you know, gorillas can move in and out of communities and not get turned in and stuff and use them as terrain.
Speaker 6: I've had that particular mao phrase paraphrase to me. I think sometimes by people who are where it comes from MoU sometimes people who probably have just sort of come to it through their own understanding or or heard it but not realize the source of it. By people who are not certainly not Maoists. All over the world, like I've heard it in the Middle East, I've heard it in Africa, I've heard it in Asia. It's it's it is a very important thing and like it, Yeah, it does make Garrida war. If you can remember the population.
Speaker 5: This is something that's propagated through because because of the success of Mao's like gorilla insurgency, this is something that's propagated through I mean through through obviously, like through through communist parties, but I mean like a lot of Islamist groups also pick it, like pick up a lot of the elements of it, because a lot of those groups are trained in uh the Plos camps in the Becker Valley in Jordan, and so like a lot of groups like all over the world of completely unrelated ideologies all sort of picked this stuff up. And the British response to this is the British are fighting a communist insurgency in Malaysia and they're like, Okay, we're gonna do concentration camps for our purposes. So obviously this is a a you know, this is an unfathomable atrocity, but it has enormous effects even after the war ends, because suddenly, you know, okay, like the war ends, the French are gone, but you know, two million people have been taken from their homes and locked in and locked in camps, and this has enormous you know, I mean, this is this is enormous economic effects and the second thing that has really sort of stunning economic effects are the Sore. There's been a class of people in Algeria called the Colognes who are basically the colonists. They're not actually all French, a lot of them are from other European countries, but they come to be this sort of hardcore French ultranationalist, sort of fascist turbo racists. I guess they're they're they're not quite the Rhodesians, but they're they're only not quite the Rhodesians because they didn't stay to fight it out. And when when the French lose the war, and when the French pull out, these people just flee, like all of them were talking, hundreds of thousands of people just are gone. I'm going to read another quote from Cleig, because you know, if these people had merely left, I think a lot of what's going to happen in this revolution goes a lot better. But they didn't just leave.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 5: In June, a policy of scorched earth was declared, inaugurating an orgy of destruction. With his dream crumbling, the colonist's response was to destroy this world, which I think is a really sort of elegant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that's you very well written, and it's funny. It's this thing that again, like you see replicated so often. There was this slogan that they used at the start the serience of a war like asado we bend in the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's it's this real you know.
Speaker 5: So, so what what the what the colons end up doing is they end up just destroying, Yes, everything they can get their hands on. They're destroying houses, They're especially destroying any kind of sort of factory of technical equipment, anything they can find. They're burning their lighting on fire and someone and the other thing about Okay, so Luxuria is a colonial economy, right, and the structure of the colonial economy is such that you know, if you.
Speaker 2: Are a.
Speaker 5: Anyone who has any kind of technical or manager gerial experience are all colonists, right. Everyone else in the country is either doing subsistence farming or has been fed as like these this sort of like seasonal workers or really really badly paid sort of contract workers on the on these sort of like cash crap agricultural farms, a lot of orange production and.
Speaker 4: Stuff like that.
Speaker 5: And so when the colonists flee the country. Suddenly, like the entire technical managerial class, everyone with technical experience, and also all of the bosses and the entire bourgeoisie are just gone. And this takes everyone by surprise. The Ethelen had assumed the Ethelens the the kind of like umbrella organization that carried out the revolution. They it kind of falls apart very quickly because it's it's not really a coherent ideological group. It's just the sort of banner that everyone who is fighting kind of attaches themselves to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is quite common, right, like national friends or like popular friends very often do this post fore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they are disintegrate. But but they had all expected that the colonists were going to stick around, and they don't because they're turbo racists.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: And then the thought of having to live in an Algeria world by Algeria, this was like, Nope, I will fucking literally light the world on fire and flee to France. You know what else is going to light the world on fire and cause people to flee to France.
Speaker 6: The products, products and services it's supporting to show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so how how fucking good they are. It's gonna it's going to cause the world to burn and make people flee to France.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have to think about that when they think about like how big my pile of gold is, I think that that match it's too small. I better just bend all down and move to France.
Speaker 5: And we are back now enter enter here. The heroes of this episode ode the workers Council, or very specifically, so this is this is a French this is a French colony. So in France and in Spain and in sort of I guess, the Romance languages. There, there was a concept called auto gision. I'm pronouncing it really badly because I'm reading the French version of it and trying to pronounce it half in Spanish, the only one of these languages I can even sort of speak. But it so it means self management, and it basically it has this context of of sort of like workers democratic self management. Right if you're if you're doing osteone, you're like the workers of a factory have taken over the factory and are running it themselves. The most prominent example and at this point of self management is Yugoslavia. Now this it's very Theoslavian version is very, very weird, but as a way basically to tell the Soviets to fuck off. Yugoslavia adopts a very different kind of model of socialism than everyone else's. So there are models based on the quote unquote the withering away of the state. So they're you know, you have basically these like reasonably democratic, like workers co ops that are the sort of that are sort of their productive basis of society. And these these co ops sort of compete against each other on the market. But other hand, there is a like a very large level of workers control that's different from you know, like the US, which is just a pure dictatorship of your boss in the workplace, tells you what to do, and if you don't do what you get fired. Yeah, and so Algeria gets there has their own version of self management. But unlike Algeria which was sort of effectively imposed by the top down for the Comnist party. In Algeria, what happens is you have this this enormous mass of workers who used to work on these plantations, used to work in factories. There's these huge colony lagger cultural estates. And what happens is with with the entire ruling class gone and when I say the entire ruling class, we're talking from all the way up from you know, the highest level government officials, through all all of your sort of capitalist bosses, right down to sort of the middle management guys are gone. All those people just have disappeared. So what happens is workers start taking over all of their all of their workplaces, and they start forming workers councils. Right now, this is this is driven largely by I mean there's there's there's there's a few different drivers. There's we'll get to the ideological aspect. A lot of it is that these people have no money and no one else is going to run it. So they're they're the workers who have now sees all the stuff are like, Okay, well we're gonna we're gonna get the money we need to survive by running by running all the stuff ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 5: And so this sort of starts ineteen sixty two, and it it sweeps across the country very quickly. I mean there's a lot of real regions where it never really takes hold. But largely what's happening is that permanent workers who had been who had been workers at these firms seize control of them. This has benefits and downsize. The benefit of it is so there's an attempt by the sort of the new Algerian sort of bushwise either the sort of like small faction of Algerian capitalists to buy up all this land. And there's a much of really funny stories of these guys buying these estates and showing up and the workers conn they just kicking them out. Yeah, yes, this is extremely funny. Yeah, there's also issues. So part of what's going on is this is this is the sort of this is the permanent workers taking over the stuff with their people, right, and so a lot of times like they'll they'll kick out seasonal workers because yeah, so it's not it's not perfect, and there's a lot of issues with it, right because this is this is all being formed effectively, spontaneously about a bunch of extremely desperate people.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm just so obviously like because it's me. The point of comparison I'm thinking of is the Spanish Civil War, right, Yeah, and worker is self management. But there you have a workforce which is which has been working towards collectivization for more than a decade in some cases. And also like this is the point actually gets missed a lot in online discourse about the Spanish Civil War, perhaps because people don't know as much as they think they do. That like, there were anarchists in all kinds of roles, Like when people talk about their rooty column or whatever like, there were absolutely anarchists, noncommissioned officers from the military who they relied on heavily for advice. And the same is true with the collectivized workplaces, right that there were anarchists in many roles, you know, in shop stewards and things like that, obviously not in like the higher management roles. I think, yeah, doing that is kind of incompatible with anarchism, but obviously what we're dealing here with is anarchosyndicalism. For the most part, the fire was more of a purest anarchist group, but there you had people who've been working towards this for a long time, who have been planning for it, and who did have people with a variety of experiences in I think oversight might be a better word than the management preps or like sort of organization. But they were very successful. But that didn't just happen overnight. It often gets presented as if it did as if on like the eighteenth of July, these people were just sort of going to work and by the twentieth they were fully formed the anarchists running their own workplaces. But that's absolutely not the case.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and jud jury is the exact opposite of this, which is, yeah, there's there's a very low level of political consciousness. There's organization is almost non existent, because so I mean the kinds of organizations that it existed are you know, you have these sort of vanguard cells, but those are largely rural. And then you have there are some unions, but they're not very they're not very large because they've been outlawed. Yeah, break ground, Yeah, like unbelievablexpression. Colonial context is extremely important.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, obviously Nia may Or I is blaming Algerian workers for not being Catalana.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, like this is this is this is the Frenchest fault and and you know, but but any such cases. Yeah, but this seizure really takes everyone by surprise because all all of the sort of leaders of fl and all leaders of the various factions had assumed that either they were going to sort of do I don't know, there's ideological conflict. But they they they all assume that they're going to do some kind of like giant state led industrialization project, right, whether it's a socialist one, whether it's the more Islamist one, and then suddenly they're they're now all, you know, it's like, okay, well your economy is now on the Yugoslavian uh self management model because.
Speaker 2: All of these workers have just seized all their workplaces.
Speaker 5: Now that there are there there are a few organizations that are are politically very supportive of this. The UGTA, which is Algeria's big sort of trade union, are very politically socialist and they they are really the only people in this entire country who are who are an organized political body who actually want to see this thing work, and so they do a lot of work helping me, helping workers set up their their committees and spreading the revolution. Their plan is to use this against any attempt to set up basically a dictatorship by uh, you know, it's okay. And this is where it gets sort of interesting because very explicitly they are trying to stave off sort of Soviet style socialisticatorship, right they are, And their plan is We're going to use we're going to use the workers councils as the as the basis of of an actual sort of workers democracy against again against the sort of orthodox like Marcus Leninist stuff. And this is another thing that's going on too, is the army is a lot more orthodox Marcist Leninists than and then either the workers committees with the unions and so a lot in a lot of parts of the countries in the West, the army just sort of rolls through, knocks off the workers committees and seizes the land for itself. And that's a fiasco. But now now pretty very quickly Ben Bella, who emerges as as the sort of as the leader of Algeria after a set of political maneuvering that we're not going to get into here, is basically forced to and in nineteen sixty three set a bunch of decrees saying that, yeah, these guys are people who run the economy, et cetera, et cetera. But there's there I want to talk. I want to actually get into something that is really not talked about in ninety nine percent of the accounts of this stuff, which is how do these councils actually work? Because spoiler alert. This whole thing is going to fail and all these people are going to be crushed. And a lot of that has to do with how this thing's set up, which is very badly because it is a system designed by Marxists, and they're very sympathetic Marksist to a broad extent.
Speaker 2: But unfortunately the way that these that this is set.
Speaker 5: Up is that, Okay, so there's an assembly, right, that's like, all the workers in the firm are in this assembly. The assembly elects this worker's council, which has like ten people, and then that council elects the management Committee, which is the people who actually do the management. So it has a president and there's also a director supposed to represent the interest of the state or whatever. And and the issue with this is that it's designed specifically to keep power out of the hands of workers directly. Right that that that giant assembly, it can't actually make policy. The only thing they can do is approve plans or disapproved plans set down by the management committee.
Speaker 6: Got it, okay? And these people at the management committee will presumably like representatives as opposed to delegates.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, yeah, they're the representatives. They also have three year terms, and it won. I think they can, but it's really hard, okay. And the other thing that that that sort of destroys this is that they those they there's a lot of sort of like election rigging by the state who doesn't want these things to be actual sort of democratic and the and this leads into the bigger issue, which is state control. And this is this is where I think, really this is something that Clegg doesn't get into much because Clegg is a Marxist.
Speaker 2: But this is where the.
Speaker 5: Marxism of it all really comes into play. But first, do you know who's not a Marxist?
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, almost certainly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not Marxists. I think we I think we can say not Marxists.
Speaker 1: All right, we are back.
Speaker 5: So the biggest issue here, and this is something that was kind of true in both Algeria and in the others kind of big Marxist self management experiments in Chile, which is that these self managing firms don't have control over a lot of the things that they need. Right So in Algeria, when when when the state essentially tries to absorb all of this stuff, when it when it gets sort of legitimized under under these decrees, there are a lot of issues. One is that these self managing organizations don't have control over their own money. So y're, yeah, you're paid. You're getting paid by the state, right and you so you give the state your money and then they they pay you. And this becomes a real issue because the state goes, oh well, the people in these self managing things are actually like privileged workers, so they have permanent pay freezes. And also you can't reinvest your profits back into the firm, which is a real issue.
Speaker 6: It's like a horrible combination of like and cap and and like stylin its like it without. Yeah, I don't I don't want to like derail us too much. But this again, like it's it's a stake.
Speaker 5: It's so much worse than the Spanish system. It's so much worse, Like every part of it is set up to fail.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think this should always get This is the sort of discourse I am now going to derailiz. I'm sorry. This is the kind of like the online like hammer and sickle in bio discourse that we see so often, right, and you don't have to pay attention to these people, and like you probably shouldn't, but just just to like put it out there. I think like and archo syndicalism is right there, and it allows for the like unions and syndicate which over overlook a whole industry to coordinate between workers' committees and ensure that, you know, things get done and people get read with dignity, and they also make enough money or have access to the resources that they need to survive. And when we try and like cut the corners off this or kind of make a little collage between this and barkist leninism or state socialism, like neither thing works, and we to stand up with this kind of terrible hodge podge in which it doesn't it doesn't function, right, But that that doesn't necessarily mean that work is self management itself is invaded as a concept it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and and and there's there's a lot of things here that you know.
Speaker 4: So the.
Speaker 5: One of the big criticisms of this at the time by by social intellectuals is people are going, well, there's not coordination, uh, you know, the firms competing against each other, there's not broad economic coordination. It's like, well, yeah, that's because that's because the state controls other finances. They don't they don't have the ability to do coordination.
Speaker 4: With each other.
Speaker 5: And yeah, the big thing, and this is the thing that really actually kills this is that so Cleik calls it marketing is controlled by the state. But that's not quite what's going on. The other thing that's controlled by the state is the state has the responsibility or and and is the people who are in charge of selling the products. And they just fucked us up completely. They can't they can't figure out how to get like the fruit that's being produced sold right. The problem here isn't is an output. Is that the city, the state is doing things like I mean sometimes sometimes they they'll have all these oranges. So a lot of the the Algeria and agricultural economy is set up as a cash crop economy. And you're supposed to fight you so okay, and it's it's never really worked very well. But the Algerian state just completely shits the bed. And there's I mean, this is like i mean we're talking like tons of fruit is just sitting there rotting a lot of the time. What they do is they just dump in onto the French market at for like basically zero cost, and so and you know, and so you you you get these things and you look at the sort of profit lost thing, and you know, the sort of like right wing parts of the state, and this is oh, I guess you like, I guess they are right wing, but the sort of anti self management parts of the statia going oh, well, look at these these firms. They're hemorrhaging all this money. It's like, well, yeah, they're hemorrhaging money because instead of actually selling the goods, you guys are throwing all of their goods into a dumpster. Like yeah, of course it's not working, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it's just a struggle of like perst colonial economies. If you in the French colonial system, like they've decided that Algeria is going to be the place that makes oranges for the entirety of the French, I'm just sort of manufacturing example empire here. Then evidently what once you once you secede from that empire, you now have a fuck ton more oranges than you need for Algerias. You're now going to have to navigate and you might not have enough.
Speaker 5: Well, and they can't even figure how to sell to other Algerians too. That that that's that's the that's the problem with the sort of state control of the market.
Speaker 2: Is they can't.
Speaker 5: They can't do either because they're completely because the bureaucrats that are running this are completely incompetent, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, I mean one can argue the states incapable of adimating resources equally or fairly. But yes, even so, they've they've done a bad job even by state standards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and and and the and the and the subsequent issue too is it's because all the finances are controlled by the state. Even the firms that are profitable, and there are firms that are very profitable, they can't reinvest their profit back into you know, improving efficiency or do or doing the basic things that workers need, which is having money to eat, because that money is that all of that sort of capital is just being eaten by the state. And so you know, there's not even to quote Claig again, as the president of a self managed farm said to me in nineteen sixty five, in this situation, how can we persuade the worker that he is no longer working for a capitalist exploiter? And like, well, yeah, he objectively is right, he is, like the state is stealing all of his money and then doing some stupid bullshit with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love that they're like they're not quite joining the dots there, Like these guys don't seem to be getting it, Like maybe maybe they do get it.
Speaker 5: And this is this is one of these things where you know, like I I go, Cleig Cleik doesn't really draw this line because he just I mean, Cleig just refuses to talk about either Hungary or the Spanish Revolution at all.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, and you really don't like to.
Speaker 5: Well he's not a mouth like that's the thing. He is a he is a pro worker self management guy, right, but he's a Marxist pro worker self management guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So she's distributing the failure this largely to like, well, there wasn't sufficient consciousness. So it's like, well, no, like this system, even if everyone wanted it to work, this system couldn't have worked because it was set up in such a way that it was. And this is something you know, this is part of why I want to talk to you about. This was that if you look at the way that that the Spanish system is set up, right, it's it's built off of coordination, like basically like sectoral coordination between everyone who's doing a thing, right, It's built on resource sharing. If I'm remembering my stuff, right, I mean they have basically they have a banking union, and people put their profits into the into the banking union, and then people can get money from the banking union to reinvest in other places.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's correct. It's also like, yeah, this this, I guess would that be called vertical integration if it's the whole sector, even if it's they they.
Speaker 5: Do this thing which takes advantage of both of the advantages of self management gives you, which is one like and like sort of you know, and it's like socialist self management, right, you have the advantage of scale, which is that you're now instead of competing ast each other, you're now coordinating an entire sector, right, and you're you're producing stuff that you're producing stuff for need. And then on the other hand, you have the other thing that's supposed to be the advantage of self management, which is that the workers themselves, who are the people who are supposed to understand that production process the best, can make decisions over how they're going to do things. But then if you look at the Algerian system, because it's because it's set up by Marxists, it's specifically designed such that basically like you're you're instead of you actually managing yourself, you're you're just electing your boss, and then your boss manages, right, And that's not actually good. This is and it's weird because looking at this, right, this is actually a worst system in terms of self management, I think in a lot of senses than the Chinese, because the Chinese system is not designed for self management. But you can't fire people. So because you can't fire people, you have to listen to what people think and what people sort of do. Is this system, I don't know. It pisces me off because this is a revolution that very very easily could have worked, but it was you know, there's intentional sabotage by the state because most of the sectors of the state don't want this to work.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 5: Just structurally from the way it's set up, it's doomed to fail from the beginning. And the consequence of this is that in nineteen sixty five, Ben Bella gets overthrown in a coup by another sort of but basically the army, a sort of state socialist faction of the army, and they hold on to power by basically turning Algeria into an oil economy. Yeah, and dismantling this entire thing. And I don't know, it makes me really angry because the the the like the actual Algerian ruling class had the right idea and then they just got completely fucked by everyone who was supposed to be leading them, or you know, the people who were supposed to be selling the stuff that they made, people who are supposed to be reinvesting, all the people who ended up with the financial control just completely screwed them. And yeah, I don't know, it's it's it's really it's it's it's really depressing in a lot of ways. But on the other hand, right, like, it doesn't it doesn't. It doesn't have to go like this, Right, you don't have to hand control of your workplace over to some fucking guy in the Department of Agricultural Waste Management or whatever so he can use your origines for fertilizer like you can. You can simply not do this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I didn't know the exact situation that these were work has found themselves in, and maybe there was you know, like a degree of sort of need to get reproducing in order to solve hunger issues.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you simply do not have to do that.
Speaker 6: As many examples. I'm thinking of the collectivized farms in Spain as well, because perhaps they would have been a better example, right, I guess there it was slightly different because it was somewhat of a collectivized community that in turn collectivized the land as opposed to collectivizing the agricultural labor. And then you have this sort of source of labor which is not inherently tied to the land that like, you know, when when there was a need, like for instance, I'm writing a book right now and writing about the Druti column, and like they would because they had less rifles than they had fighters, they would rotate their fighters off the front line during the harvest time and have people help with the harvest, and then they didn't like need those people the rest of the year. Right, So they were able to incorporate like temporary surgeries in labor without it being like destructive to their model, because it was the idea was like a collective community as opposed to a collective as opposed to like just the workplace being this island of pseudo collectivisation, like you're saying in Algeria. Also shout out to the Iron column who I've been writing about recently, who solved their supply side issues by leaving the front line and raiding the cops because they didn't have enough guns either, so they simply took them from the cops. Telling Yeah, incredibly based, Yeah, very bag.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I think that's kind of the point that I want to end this on, which is that you know, there's something that that contributes to the collapse of Slavia too, is that if you know, the dichotomy they got forced on people in the twentieth century was you can either choose.
Speaker 6: Two.
Speaker 5: Okay, so your choices are you get a you get a sort of you get a styalinus planned economy completely run by the state, or you get a bunch of workers cooperatives competing against each other. And those are, like, you're, those are your two models of socialism, and those both suck, and both are set up to fail from the beginning because they're not actually you know, you're you're you're you're you're not actually doing the thing, you're not actually having the entire the entire class as a class, you know, abolishing itself. And then also managing managing production in such a way that people are cooperating to produce what people need instead of everyone fighting over like either well instead of either the state setting a steel quota and having that be the entire goal of the economy, or like seventeen co ops and the like both producing all producing the exact same kind of coffee trying to figure out who can produce it more cheaply.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we we can do better, Yes we can, and we have, and so we should describe for I guess I know. If people want to read about the Spanish Revolution, there's a ship ton of books on libcom. I would say Pat's book is pretty good. Send a Spanish Revolution. Mary Bookchin has a book that the heroic years of Spanish anarchism. Able Paz has many books. Yes you can. You can spend time on libcom and read a lot about collective production in the Spanish Revolution, and for free, which is nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just been taken.
Speaker 5: Happy here, go take over your workplace and then also help everyone else take over theirs and coordinate with each other.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that would be very nice. And then then we'll do an interview with you on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome back to it could have hear a podcast about things falling apart, and also about militant resistance, which is an aspect of things falling apart. As things fall apart any country, you get people who crawl out of the woodwork to either accelerate that process or try to reverse it in their own lives, and some of those people use weapons to do that. Now, we've talked a bunch on this show about the various forms that militant resistance can take. We've chatted extensively on this network about Rojava. We've talked a fair amount James Stout and I. James is on the show today, by the way, Hello James, Hi Robert. We've talked a lot about me and mar and the gin Z Revolution, there three D printing of firearms and kind of this war that these people have been waging in the Jungles successfully in order to overthrow the military dictatorship of their country. But we haven't talked a whole lot about naval warfare. And this is because for most of history, for most of at least our recent history, naval warfare was not really a thing insurgents could engage in, right, you know, you could every now and then if a ship was docked or something, you might be able to get off a bombing, right, like what happened to us as coal. And I'm not expressing general sympathy for everybody who does a militant insurgent act, but I am talking about like the overall kind of like tactics and strategy that underline how that stuff works. And one of the things that's really changed in the last couple of years, since twenty twenty two, you could really mark it out, is that irregular non state groups can now to an extent never before possible challenge the sea power of nations like the United States, which has an unquestioned, previously at least unquestioned level of dominance in sort of conventional naval power. And we talked about conventional naval power in the twenty first century. That means aircraft carrier groups. Right, the US has eleven of them, which, if I'm not mistaken, is more than the of the world. We have a lot of fucking aircraft carriers. And previously that was believed to be you know, a guarantee of book dominance on sea, and if a carrier group or two is in the area, you generally we generally, the United States generally could count on having air supremacy. You certainly wouldn't expect it to be countered. You know, you could expect, like, for example, if we were to have a conflict over Taiwan, the Chinese navy could or the Chinese army could potentially interdict a carrier group using ground based you know, ground to see anti ship missiles or something like that. But we're increasingly in an era in which these kind of irregular non state groups have access to similar technology and have access to kind of even more bespoke technology like drone swarms that poses a unique threat to the naval dominance of the United States. And I wanted to start you know, we've got a two part of here. We're going to be talking about the Huthis and Yemen. We're going to be talking about the Ukrainian navy, which does not really have much in the way of boats, but it is still challenging the Russian Navy. And we're going to be talking about rebels in Myanmar. We're going to start today, we'll be talking about the Huthi and to understand Houthi resistance to the United States and why a militant group has had such success challenging US naval power. You first have to understand how they got to the point that they're at right now, where they are kind of in a lot of ways a near state actor, you know, not a world power actor, but near state actor. You know, they're probably more capable in some ways than the State of Yemen, which they are at war with. Yeah, yeah, And to get how they got to that point, you have to understand what happened with their fight against the Saudis. So the Houthi Movement or ansar Allah, which means Supporters of God, is a Zaidi Shia Islamist movement run primarily by members of the Huthi tribe. Zaidi Islam is a bit of an odd duck. You'll hear it described as, yeah, like a Shia segment. It's really probably more accurate to look at it as like it's kind of in between Shia and Sunni of like the Shia kind of denominations. It's kind of closest to being Sunni. I'm not an expert on any of this, but it comes out of a guy named Zaid iban Ali's rebellion against the Umiyad Caliphate, which did not succeed, but we still have the Zaidi. What matters for our purposes today is that the Huthi as a movement came out of opposition to the Yemen's president Abi Abdullah Salah, who was corrupt as hell. He was seen as corrupt, and he was in fact corrupt as hell, and he was. It was specifically they were they were accusing him of basically being bribed by the Saudis. That's where like the Houthi started the rebellion in around two thousand and three. So they began as a resistance movement to this corrupt president Salah. They adopted the slogan God is the Greatest, Death to America, death to Israel, and a curse upon the Jews, which is still their slogan. So they are not what you would call unproblematic. Again, but now that they applied out there, they're they're not hiding it, you know, dig for this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And I'm using the triple parentheses they say the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's you know, part of why we're talking about a regular naval warfare is that who knows what the next few years are going to include. It's always a long shot, but there's not a zero percent chance that people listening to this will wind up engaged in some sort of irregular conflict. And that's it's important to understand how modern technology has changed the dimensions of how that works from like a naval perspective, So that's why we're talking about this now. Hoothy armed activities against the Saudis really kicked off and hit a major level after the Yemeni Civil War, which officially started in twenty fourteen. The new president of Yemen, who was not Salah at this point, asked for military support from the international community, which in this case meant the Saudis right. So the Saudis. It's called a coalition. There's technically some other people involved, but it's the Saudis right, and the president of Yemen calls in the Saudis when his forces are kicked out of the capital of Yemen, Sana, by Hoothy fighters. The way when the Hoothy take Sana is when they get their first cruise missiles, largely just like a bunch of scuds and stuff, so like old Soviet shit, right. Operation Decisive Storm is the name that Saudi Arabia gives to their intervention in Yemen, and a lot of people will say this is basically Saudi Arabia's Vietnam, not an inappropriate comparison to make. So the Saudis start bombing the shit out of the Houthi and then they send in ground forces, because bombing the shit out of people who are motivated never really works as well as you want it to, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of people have been bombing a lot of people. I mean, you can destroy that of shit, you can kill a load of civilians.
Speaker 2: And kill a shitload of civilians.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but many, many such cases if you're looking around the world right now. But yeah, one thing that doesn't tend to do is really get rid of motivated fighters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you've got an air force, everything looks like Dresden. So the Saudis try that for a while. They send in ground forces, they carry out naval blockades. None of this does much but make Thethi's more determined, and they exit this conflict. I mean it's not like you wouldn't say completely done, but they exit this conflict with the Saudis a lot stronger, right, a lot more organized, with a lot better weapons, right, and a lot of this you know, so by the way, I should also state that, like now, the Houthis are on the side of former President Sala It's a complicated conflict, right, but at the end of this all they have a shitload of Iranian weapons because Iran is a geopolitical enemy of Saudi Arabia and they see the Houthis as allies, and so they spend a lot of time this during this conflict shipping in agtms, which are wire guided missiles that are just aces and blasting holes in Saudi Arabia's tanks, which are US supplied. If I'm not mistaken as a general, Yeah, a lot of Saudi Arabia stuff is US and like, yeah, basic most of it, right, much of it? Yeah, Yeah, there are a lot of contractors over there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, the Houthis they make a lot in like waves and kind of people who are following a regular conflicts during this period in the late aughts because they're so successful in taking out these tanks that had previously been pretty hard to fuck up. And it's kind of you know, now, agtms in Ukraine are like one of the dominant weapons systems that has shaped the battlefield environment. But this is kind of when people start to realize, oh, fuck, you know Syria as well, these are This is really going to change a lot about how armor gets used. And this is also where we start to see the first Hothi deployments of ballistic missiles, which were used sort of they initially used them, not dissimilarly to how the Germans used V twos right in World War Two. There are terror weapons and they're used in retaliation for Saudi Arabia's use of a terror weapon, which is US jets and missiles. Right, So Saudi Arabia is terror bombing Yemen, and Yemen starts firing missiles back at Saudi Arabia because you know that's what you do, right, yeah, yeah, yeah. And I'm going to quote here from an article in the National News, quote Huthi militias and Yemen launched and this is from twenty twenty two. Huthi militias and Yemen launched ballistic missiles at Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia on Monday and the latest attack on neighboring states. Two missiles were destroyed in mid flight during the attempted terrorist attack on Abu Dhabi while in Saudi Arabia, one was shot down and another missile wounded two civilians in an industrial area. So this is that gives you an idea of like where they are a couple of years ago. And these are not super advanced cruise missiles, as you can see by that kind of like casualty rate. Right, they're not doing massive amounts of damage, but they caused terror. Right. It's scary to know that a missile could come out of the sky and kill some of you, and it's you know, from their perspective, how else are they going to strike back? They don't have an air force in the conventional sense, but what we do see here is by being able to carry out these attacks back on Saudi Arabia who's bombing them, despite not having an air force of their own. You already see how new technology and cruise missiles aren't new technology, but them being available to a non state actor is fairly new. You see how that has already changed the game in terms of like you can't really say the Saudis don't have this air supremacy. You can still say they have air supremacy because again, the Huthis don't have much in the way of air power at this point, but they can't stop missiles from hitting their cities entirely, which is a different game than when you know that's not really a possibility. The Houthy arsenal today includes a dizzying array of different Iranian, Soviet, Syrian, and indigenously produced rockets, including the Burkhan three missiles. These are for long range strikes up to twelve hundred kilometers, and the botter P one rockets, which have one hundred and twenty two one hundred and sixty kilometer range. They also have old Soviet Frog sevens, which are useful to about sixty five kilometers. None of these are accurate in cruise missile terms, you know, but they work well enough for the Houthy's purposes. The botter P is indigenously produced. It's made by the Houthies. It's thought to be based on the Syrian Kaibar rocket. It is unguided, and experts will say it's closer to being functioning as just like dumb artillery than an actual cruise missile. Un inspectors claim quote it is produced locally from steel tubing, very likely sourced from the oil industry. You hear this a lot in a regular conflict in the Middle East. When I was in Mosel covering the fighting with Isis, their mortars were made off out of tubing that was like part of construction projects. I think that traced back to the oil industry, at least some of it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: There are several variants of this rocket, like the botter.
Speaker 4: F and the P one.
Speaker 2: It's not really useful going through all of them. You can find some interesting studies on this, but it's not necessary to understand their capabilities. Their most accurate missile, as far as I can tell, is the OTR twenty one Totshka, which has a range of about seventy two one hundred and twenty kilometers and a four hundred and eighty kilogram payload. They only are believed to have a few dozen of these, although that's an estimate from an earlier report, and these were the ones they would use most regularly on ground targets during the Saudi intervention when they needed a precise strike. And I'm going to quote from an article and an analysis of their missile capability. The Huthis first fired a Tatchka missile in September twenty fifteen, targeting the coalitions that's the Saudi's software military base in Mareb, Yemen. The strike hit a weapons orige depot and killed sixty coalition soldiers. The Houthis fired another tachka on December fourteenth, twenty fifteen, targeting a coalition base south of Taia's City in Taia's Yemen. The strike reportedly killed over one hundred and twenty coalition soldiers. The most recently recorded tachka fire took place on November nineteenth, twenty sixteen, landing in a desert in eastern Marab Province. The target was unclear, but was likely the Arab Coalition's all weak military camp. So those are significant casualties. These are very effective weapons that do a lot of damage.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, international experts, and especially if you read just kind of like think tank analysis of what the Hoothies are doing, we generally say all of this is only possible because of aid from Hisbolah and Iran. Right, That's the only reason the Houthis have these weapons. Right now, there is an arms embargo on Yemen. This has not stopped anyone from getting weapons to Yemen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It also, to be very fair here, didn't stop anyone from didn't stop US from selling arms to the Saudis even though they're bringing those arms to Yemen, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, fossible, ridiculous notion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know who you want to get angry or at here. I'm not really convinced either side is, you know, better than the other. Certainly the Saudis are not better, right right? Yeah that matters.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's just a shit situation for people who are trying to get home with me to not get blown up.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, really bad situation. I think that is over selling it a bit. Obviously, Iranian AID is critical to the Hoothies and that that has gotten them a lot of their advanced weapons systems, So I don't want to undersell it. But at this point they are making a significant chunk of these of these cruise missiles, specifically some of the less advanced ones indigenously, So because of the state things you could, I think it is accurate to say that Iran was crucial to them getting to that state. But even without Iranian aid's there's a signe probably a significant degree of time to which they could continue to produce some of these weapons because they are making them themselves.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they make three fifty eight missiles, right, like looid terrain, yeah, anti aircraft. Yeah, yes, even if Iran it's not supplying, it's probably worth noting that like this isn't like an Iranian design or concept at least, and it allows for a lot of testing, a lot of like a real world kind of verses the NATO US.
Speaker 2: Let's see Iranians, Yeah, to test their weaponry. And again I'm not trying to undersell how important they are, just you get a lot of like, well, if we can just cut off Iranian trade, the hoothies will collapse. I think that's accurate anymore. Yeah, you know, I can't say that to a point a certainty, but yeah, I think that that's kind of wishful thinking on behalf of some people. So these are great weapons for a non state militant group. Again, this is this stuff. If you think back ten fifteen years, the idea of a non state insurgent group having access to a cruise missile library like this, you know, not to say about like the other weapons they have, the drones and stuff they have, it would have been kind of unprecedented. That said, these are not good weapons in the modern military sense of the word. But I mean they are not very accurate for the most part, and compared to more advanced missiles like the kind of the United States, Russia and China have, they are easy to shoot down with the kind of weapons systems aboard say, US aircraft carriers. We will discuss that more later. This is largely inconsequential to what's been happening in the Red Sea because the vast majority of naval traffic that passes by Houthi territory does not have access to say FAYLANX, FELANX systems. Yeah, you don't have much in the way of anti missile systems on a normal containers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, you have fanti bridge antiah rhyming devices. But like, yeah, it doesn't matter if your missile is not super accurate, if it can't defeat these expensive systems, if you're just eating them into a narrow channel anything that goes past right right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the Houthis are aware of that, and this is again an intelligent strategy on their part. You know, sometimes people get angry when you say that because they point out horrible things the Hoothis have done, which I don't want to deny, but we're not talking about the overall morality of this conflict. We're talking about how these tactics work, right.
Speaker 6: Right, Like the Nazis had intelligent and strategies as well. They were terrible fucking people, and I'm glad they asked them are mostly dead, but like, yeah, yeah, we would be unwise to just dismiss everything that they've been know.
Speaker 2: No, And likewise, the fact that the Houthi's right now that this interdiction of the Red Sea is based on an attempt to stop the genocide in Gaza, which I don't think it's going to work, but I would like it if somehow it did. That also does not have an impact on how this is working strategically, right, You are kind of setting all of that aside to just talk about how this is functioning, you know. Yeah. So in recent years, the Houthis have expanded their stock of anti ship missiles. In an article for the International Institute for Strategic Studies, a guy named Fabian hens Rights quote the parades these are Houthy military parades also featured of right of anti ship ballistic missiles ASBMs and guided rockets employing Iranian infrared or imaging infrared seeker technology. The four hundred and fifty kilometer range CEF appears to be a rebranded ASBM version of Iran's FATA three one three missile, while the Tongue Kill represents a previously unseen anti ship version of the IRGC Iranian Revolutionary GUARDCOREPS developed five hundred kilometer range so higher. The two designs constitute the heaviest, hoothy anti ship missiles, both with warheads of more than three hundred kilograms and are of Iranian origin. Three smaller ASBMs. The one hundred and forty kilometer range FLEK, the Mayun and the bar al Amar strongly resemble Iranian design philosophy and seeker technology, but do not precisely match known Iranian systems. They could either be Iranian systems not observed before in smuggle to Yemen, or Huthi produced rockets combined using Iranian guidance skits, not unlike developments made by another Iran proxy, the Lebanese has Belah in its precition guided surface to surface missile program. Finally, the Huthis have presented an S seventy five SA two surface to air missile, likely from pre war ye many army stocks modified for an anti ship role using an Iranian guidance kit. So that's that's that's a potent and it's probably more some ways more advanced than their general cruise missile stockpile arsenal for taking out ships. Now, the Houthis are still a non state force. When people say online that like the us IS is fighting Yemen, not quite accurate, because the Huthis are fighting Yemen too, right, like the government if you're if you're saying government, you're talking about the people. Well, people in Yemen are fighting each other, right, yeah, it's it's that is the situation. They are at war with the government of Yemen, right, that is still right case.
Speaker 6: We're fighting, we're shooting missiles at Yemen, but yet like as a geographical area, right than in the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. So the Huthis did not survive years of intense bombing by Saudi Arabia and a nation with an on paper extremely modern military by making a lot of stupid mistakes. So when they decided to attack shipping in the Red Sea after Israel launched their genocidal campaign against Gaza, they did so with a competent plan, which was to make civilian freight travel in the area too dangerous to continue. Their stated goal here is to force damage on Israel and the Western nations who support it by hitting the only thing they care about, commerce, and their actions here have done real damage to international trade, not exclusively Western international trade. I should note the latest several months have seen them capture or sink a couple of merchant vessels. They've sunk one. They've hit at least sixteen vessels with drones and missiles. I found a Bloomberg report with the telling title houthy missiles do far more damage to trade than to actual ships, which is an interesting way to frame it. Yeah, and they're kind of trying to minimize what's going on here. While sixteen strikes is a large number for the industry to withstand, there have been even more failed attempts. Since the Hoothies began their attacks, there have been more than sixty incidents of some kind in and around the waterway, including everything from near misses to hijackings and harassment by armed militants and small boats. If you look at the damage that's occurred in most of these incidents, it has not been significant, said Marcus Baker, head of the Marine and cargo at Marsh, one of the world's top insurance brokers. So far, we haven't seen a total loss caused by a missile strike. That changed in March when the Houthi successfully sank the Ruby Mar despite more than a month of US strikes to degrade their capability. The vessel was initially wounded and drifted unmanned for almost two weeks before sinking. While it listed, A Hoothy representative promised the ship could be salvaged if aid trucks were allowed to enter Gaza. Ruby Mar wound up sinking.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Hoothi strikes have also hit at least one ship bound for Iran and another that was going to be delivering aid supplies to Yemen. At least three civilian sailors have been killed thus far, and a strike on a bulk carrier named the True Confidence. Now, how you kind of interpret this as a success by the Houthy stated goals, which is right, to inflict enough pain on the West and on Israel economically that it forces an earlier end to what Israel is doing in Gaza, Right, if that's their goal, Well, it hasn't happened yet, right, That's one thing we can say right, it has not yet. There's no evidence that I have seen that it has affected the tempo of Israeli operations substantially.
Speaker 6: You know, yeah, it would seem it does not so different, and obviously as an incentive for the United States and other international actors to like not let this tactics succeed, because you do not want a world in which I think it's not unreasonably. There's a thing called the right to protect an international law, which is probably what the heaths are claiming they have of the acting under it, and that's not, like, on the face of it, unreasonable, But yet I think the US has this very like strong incentive to not let it become a thing that keeps happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm not surprised we sent a carrier group into the area. I'm also not surprised that that does not seem to be working either. Right, If you are judging how the US is acting and how the Houthis are acting based on their stated goals, the Houthis have not yet accomplished their stated goal with these strikes, and the US air strikes do not seem to have stopped the Houthis from being a to interdict naval traffic in the Red Sea. Right, there's I've heard some argument that the tempo is reduced since the US got there, But it's also one clear to me is like, well, they only have a limited amount of these missiles, right. Has the TiO changed because they need to marshal their ammunition effectively, or has it changed because there's been damage done to their infrastructure. I don't know that we'll ever really get a perfect answer on that, right, I know the US claims that it has. You know, we claim that our strikes have weakened them, but we always claim that, right, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean yeah, we're gonna say, right, yeah, we all lived through Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: Right, you're aware of what the US says about shit like this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it would look pretty bad if we were like, now, dude, we just heated billions of ammunitions.
Speaker 2: Maxavel for US. It's unclear how much damaged the Hoothies have actually done to the global economy. As a consequence of all this, traffic has dropped to the Red Sea by about thirty five percent, and since the sea carries about twenty percent of global trade, that's a major hit. But it hasn't stopped trade through the Red Sea either. Again, most trade is still you knows, most of the pre war level is still occurring. Thirty five percent is a substantial drop. That is a hit, and it's hurt a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: It also has not wholly blocked like there's a longer route you can take around Africa to get into the Red Sea, but that makes everything more expensive too. The country hurt most is actually Egypt, because Egypt depends on the Suez Canal for about a quarter of its currency earnings, and you go through the Red Sea to get to the Suez Canal. For reasons that are obvious if you look at a map. Right, people who rightly see what's happening in Gaza as a crime against humanity are unlikely to care too much about the Egyptian economy, nor should they necessarily. But the bigger questions here are can the hoo He's actually force an into what Israel's doing? And how long can they keep this up? The answer to the first question, can the Houthi's force it into his reely aggression is not yet. And the answer to the second question is how long can they keep this up? I don't know, they might be able to eventually bring about international pressure through economic damage, but given the state of the US presidential election, I don't see that as particularly likely a method for changing net and Yahu's behavior. The answer to the second question is, you know, you know, how long can they keep this up? Probably forever? Right, US strikes have been lauded by the US as damaging infrastructure, but we don't know that that's true. Our air strikes in the region have been launched by the USS. D White D. Eisenhower, the head of the carrier strike Group in the Red Sea at present. And again, when you look at kind of like leftists analyzing this, because they don't often know much about the military, you'll get a mix of like people being like, ah, the houthis are going to kill a carrier because they put out a video of like a carrier in their sites and shit, and like, I don't think so, guys, doesn't seem likely. These are very well defended ships, and they are very competently led. Look I have looked into the capital of the ship, I've looked into how they have handled the considerable tempo of tax against them. I think that these guys are operationally competent as the US tends to be. Now, that doesn't mean they're going to win. The US US soldiers tend to be operationally competent most of the time, and we also lose a lot, right because operational competence doesn't matter if the operations you're being asked to undertake have no chance of victory. And that is more or less the situation. I think that these sailors are in right where they're pretty good at sailing around in an aircraft carrier and not getting killed. But that doesn't mean they're going to defeat the Houthies in a meaningful way right right, And the Hoothies are aware of this. They're in a holding pattern. They understand that the primary thing that is that all of strategy really hinges around stopping and denying terrain to the enemy. And all the Hoothies have to do to deny a significant amount of terrain to the entire west is keep lobbing missiles, often blindly, in this sea and it will make everything more expensive for everybody, keep them in the news, and that's a win. And it's unlikely, if not basically impossible, that using current methods, the US Navy and US you know, airpower in this area, based in this carrier group is going to be able to do anything but spend a shitload of money.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: US Navy officers in recent weeks have reported attacks by both anti ship missiles, regular cruise missiles swarms of unmanned aerial drones, which has led to a general conclusion among people who analyze this stuff that drone swarms are going to be a significant part of naval warfare in the immediate future. Right, you can overwhelm you know, the houthis you know. As impressive as their drone swarms are, for a nonstate actor cannot put together the kind of a swarm that a state actor like China, for example, could. But people are looking at how close some hits have gotten to the carriers and being like, well, shit, if you add a lot more of these things, you could really cost some fucking problems for these boats.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They have also used unmanned boats and unmanned underwater vessels. These are basically unmanned drone boats with explosives in them, right, and again, significantly more of these could potentially do some damage. This is, by any account, the most direct combat US naval forces have seen since World War Two. And one thing I fun thing I've learned reading articles about the operation is that our jets now get kill markers for the bombs they drop.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can be a drone ace or not a drone, a missile downing ace.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, I don't know, may I guess it makes sense whatever, it just it doesn't look as impressive.
Speaker 6: I did some googling. I guess you could become an ace shooting down barrage balloons in World War One.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the gag shooting back.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, they were very defense strongly defended. Yeah, it's a little different of V two rockets, I guess in World War Two. I did also find out that the navel some of the unmanned underwater vehicles are replacing. More's the pity the seals and dolphins that were previously in USNAV service.
Speaker 2: I don't mean seals like no, no, no, literal yeah, like literal seals heartbreaking, yeah, very In San Diego, I often go past them.
Speaker 6: You know what the seals don't want to do or they well again added the marine mammals. The other seals very much.
Speaker 2: The dolphins might I remember from the documentary SeaQuest that they that they enjoy naval service.
Speaker 6: I think all SeaQuest, James, I've not I've not watched Sea Quest. I'm afraid. I'm afraid.
Speaker 2: It's It's Star Trek, the next generation Underwater, but the role of Picard is played by the sheriff from Jaws.
Speaker 6: It's actually fantastic. Great. Yeah, I'm looking looking forward to being exposed to more of this universe. I'm hoping that the the Dolphins join force with the Orcas and take on the super rich with that using the skills given to them by the US military.
Speaker 2: In Challah, James. So, when it comes to the economics of this conflict, and a lot of this does come down economics, right, what the Houthy are doing is an incredibly efficient, good ass deal for them. These drones, specifically, a lot of what they've done. They fired missiles, but like those are expensive, they don't have a lot of them. I think that at this point they would prefer to use those on ships that cannot defend against them. They have since some manned boats, which the US has fucking mrked immediately, and they don't seem to be doing that anymore because it's dumb and the Hoothies didn't get where they did by repeatedly doing dumb shit. What they seem to have settled on is sending out drone swarms. Both of these boats, these underwater drones and of aerial drones, and these things can cost just a few thousand dollars each. Some of the biggest ones are probably more like tens of thousands of dollars. But the navy missiles that we use to interdict this shit and some of these, they also have some dumber cruise missiles that are pretty cheap. The missiles we use to interdict this shit are two point one million dollars is shot.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: This is all in an adition to the insane cost of keeping a carrier battlegroup in the field and fighting. It's not at all cheap. I found one political article that quotes a DoD official admitting the cost offset is not on our side. Now we have some cheaper systems that can work really well on particularly drones. They can work on missiles too. We've used them and that these are air burst shells fired from the conventional guns on destroyers. These have worked really well, especially against drones and tests, but they're only effective from about ten miles or less away. In ballistic missile terms, that's extremely close. You don't want to rely on these for as and it's not even all that far away in drone terms right As a result, the US has expanded research into more efficient anti drone and anti missile weapons, including what amounts to laser, laser and microwave weapons that could be fired indefinitely for the cost of electricity. Given the nature of these weapons, that's not insignificant either, but it's a lot less than two point one million is shot. As is always the case, the kind of fight the Huthies are waging right now has an expiration eight right now. Any group that can put together a few million dollars to make hundreds and hundreds of explosive drones right which a number of groups are capable of, could at least exact a substantial toll on a US carrier battlegroup, make it, spend a shitload of money, potentially even do some damage. And again, even if this stuff hits an aircraft carrier, you're like very unlikely to see that thing sink. There's a story that's worth knowing that, Like when we decommissioned one of our aircraft carriers fifteen or twenty years ago. They started. They shot at a bunch like they just to see like how well it would hold up, and like they such a great sink and they couldn't sink the fucker. Like, you can do that, you could kill sailors. It would be a big deal if they hit a fucking aircraft carrier and killed some sailors, even if the carrier doesn't go down, that's a huge fucking deal. I don't know that they're capable of doing that, but it's unlikely they're going to kill one, right.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, they got to send one to the bonomiation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hard, It's hard to do, right. They're made not to sink, and they're pretty fucking big. But one can imagine kind of a future in which the war the Hoothies are waging right now is rendered kind of impossible because weapons like that are positioned permanently around say the Red Sea, blanketing into defense grid that basically kill any thing fired into the sea. That's something that might happen in the future if this continues. But that's also just the way war works, right. You know, the Hoothies ten to fifteen years ago wouldn't have been able to wage a war like this against the US Navy. They fought the Navy to a stand still. That's the only way to analyze this, right, and again, that doesn't mean either side is achieving their operational goals. Right, The Houthis have not ended the genocide in Gaza, and the US doesn't seem to be capable of ending the Houthis. So they fought each other to a stand still in this matter. And that wouldn't have been possible twenty years ago. So right, twenty years from now, what's going on will be different. You know, the fact that the US seems to be pretty close to developing more efficient anti drone and anti missile weapons that are a lot cheaper to use doesn't mean that non state actors will not find a way around those. But that is the situation we're in right now with the Houthis, and that is the end of this episode. We're going to get back to you tomorrow for part two, where're going to talk about irregular naval warfare in Ukraine and Myanmar. James, you got anything else to say, No, I didn't think. So you need to be a bad day to be a boat. I guess bad day to be a boat, bad day to be a drone. They're really suffering in this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a great day to be a military contractor, which is oh my god, such a good time to be a military contractor.
Speaker 2: Whether you're doing it for a run or the United States. You are, you are, you are in Clover right.
Speaker 6: Now, which is a massive change from the entirety of this century so far.
Speaker 4: So that's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice to see the military contractors finally pick up a win.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, one for them.
Speaker 2: That's been It could Happen Here. We'll be back tomorrow. Welcome back to It Could Happen Here and our special two part series Irregular Naval Warfare and You, where James and I teach you how you too can challenge the US Navy's dominance of the seas or at least the coasts for fun and profit. Actually today, last episode we talked about people challenging the US Navy's coastal dominance. Today we're talking about doing the same thing for the Russian Navy. So that's going to be fun. And of course the Navy of mianmar which is a bit of a different class from the US and Russian Navy, but no less interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, still fun. I'd love to see a boat lose.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I just like boats going down, you know, I just hate a boat. Yeah yeah, us the jocas many many such cases. Yeah, I'm going to start with Ukraine, and then we're going to throw to James to talk about our friends in Myanmar and how they have repurposed civilian technology and stolen weapons to counter a navy without really having one of their own. But first Ukraine. In twenty fourteen, when the Russian Army invaded eastern Ukraine and took Crimea, Ukraine lost a significant portion of it's already not that impressive navy. Most of their boats were just taken by Russia, along with a number of sailors who defected. A lot of other sailors fled the region, leaving behind their homes and cities like Sebastopol to continue serving their country in a war that a decade later is still ongoing. One of these sailors, who is a Sebastopol native and had to flee his home, possibly forever, in order to continue serving his country, is the current commander of Ukraine's navy, Admiral Nazpapa. He leads a navy that is almost without manned ships, and on paper, it is utterly incapable of challenging Russia's legendary Black Sea Fleet. Since the age of the Czars, the Black Sea Fleet has been infamous as a pillar of Russian military power. However, also since the age of the Tsars, it's had a nasty tendency to get utterly housed by enemies that should have been able to beat it.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, not the first time it's taken an unexpected loot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has a legendary history. That doesn't mean good. There's bad legends out there, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's well known.
Speaker 2: Yeah, today that enemy is Ukraine. Since the expanded Russian invasion in twenty twenty two, just two years, Ukraine has destroyed or badly damaged more than a third of the Black Sea Fleet. Despite having no battleships or destroyers in the sea to counter Russian naval power. They have done enough damage to reopen Odessa and at least one other port on the Black Sea to international commerce, which has provided Ukraine with a crucial economic and strategic lifeline. And that's a remarkable achievement. Sinking a third of the Black Sea Fleet and basically when you reopen a port. That means that you have taken away naval dominance from a country that has a navy and you don't. That's pretty good, pretty good stuff. Over the last two years, Ukraine had damaged, irreparably or sunk seven active landing ships and one to seven active landing ships and one landing vessel. I don't know the difference. They've They've fucked up a lot of boats. They have destroyed a submarine with seed to ground capability that was docked for repairs. They have sunk a cruiser, the capital ship of the entire Black Sea fleet, the Moskva. They've also sunk a supply vessel and a handful of patrol boats and missile boats, and a number of other boats have been damaged. That's a significant rate of casualties, especially when you consider that every actually destroyed vessel we're looking at a year's multiple years lead time to replace. You cannot make naval vessels very quickly anymore. Back during the big Dub Dub dose, the US did, but nobody really does that anymore, not with the big ones.
Speaker 6: At least just roll through that.
Speaker 7: We were just we were just yeating aircraft carriers into the sea, just just flotting them out, Yeah, don't take them out a week. Yeah, because it's because Rosy Rivet was was really riveting at a high speed.
Speaker 2: She was, she was, she was quite a riveter. So at the start of hostilities, Turkey, which controls access to the Black Sea forbade any additional military vessels or at least military vessels of significant size, from entering the area. What this means this has a significant impact on how well Ukraine strikes work, because even if Russia can replace the losses physically, they can't actually get replacements into the Black Sea easily. They can't sail new shit past the Turks. The Turks are not allowing that right now. So again, this is a situation that has kind of favored the way in which Ukraine has adapted to countering Russian naval dominance. It is possible that at the present rate of attrition, the Black Sea fleet could be rendered inoperable in less than two years. Like if they keep going at this rates like eighteen months or something before, there's not really much of a fleet anymore. Now. If Ukraine had accomplished this task with a traditional navy using standard naval tactics, This would have been an impressive victory given the disparity in resources between the two nations. But they have done all this with a mix of cruise missiles, many of which are produced in country, aerial drones, and new bespoke locally produced suicide drone boats. This irregular naval warfare has been successful enough that one Rand Corporation engineer and analyst, Scott Savatz, described the BLA blaxiafleet as a fleet in being quote, it represents a potential threat that needs to be vigilantly guarded against, but one that remains in check for now. And I'm going to quote from a New York Times article on the topic. It brought a little more context. Ukraine has effectively turned around ten thousand square miles in the western Black Sea off its southern coast into what the military calls a gray zone, where neither side can sail without the threat of attack. James Heapey, Britain's Armed Forces Minister, told a recent security conference in Warsaw that Russia's Black Sea fleet had suffered a functional defeat, and contended that the liberation of Ukraine's coastal waters in the Black Sea was every bit as important as the successful counter offensives on land and Cersona and Kharkiv last year. The classical approach that we studied at military maritime academies does not work now, Admiral Nese Papas said. Therefore, we have to be as flexible as possible and change approaches to planning and implementing work as much as possible. That articles about a year old or so.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: The Neptune anti ship missile is one of the prides of Ukraine's nason arms industry. Missiles are credited with destroying the Moskva in April of twenty twenty two. Ukraine also has access to several Western anti ship missiles, including these storm Shadow and Scalp missiles. I believe the storm Shadow comes from your your folks, right James, yeah, convention.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And these seem to be pretty effective missiles. These obviously much more advanced. And these are modern naval weapons, right. These are much more advanced than, for example, the weapons to who these have. These are the kind of things that can counter to some extent modern anti missile technology. For an example of kind of how that tends to work, they used a barrage of I believe it was mostly storm shadows to rain death on the crime import of Sebastopol. Recently, seven out of eighteen of the missiles fired made it through Russian air defenses, and these damaged or destroyed four landing ships in a single strike. And these are sizeable naval vessels. This is the most recent attack, although as after I wrote this, there was another attack on the Kirch Bridge. I'm not really sure how that took place yet that seems to have shut it down again. But that gives you an idea of like what you actually have to do. How much of these missiles you have to put in the air to get some through. And that's not too bad, right, eighteen missiles, seven get through, four ships down. That's a really good rate of return.
Speaker 6: Especially when you consider that, like you know, we were talking in our first episode about how the US is spending significant resources are maintaining its defending its carriers, right, Russia does not have the same ability to keep good Lord saying munitions no, and so like that's a finite resource, right, they're their means of defining that, defending their ships and defending really anything against missiles are a finite resource. So any time you can even if the ship doesn't get sunk, if the ship has to deploy one of these missiles, which it doesn't, which the whole country doesn't have very many of, that they're still a win.
Speaker 2: Now, this is we're talking about irregular naval warfare. And then this is not This is not what most people would have considered a traditional naval conflict prior to the expansion of hostilities in Ukraine. However, we are talking This is very different than the case of the Hoothies. Ukraine is a state. It doesn't have a massive arms industry, but it has one, and it has the support of nations with sizable arms industries. Right, so we are not talking about this part. We are going to talk about the aspects of Ukrainian a regular naval warfare. That are some guys that are hobbyists building shit. Yeah, this is not that part yet. But I think this information is kind of significant and that it shows the tactical use of anti ship cruise missiles and their ability to significantly shape an operational environment even when the country using them has minimal conventional naval assets of their own. It is largely through the use of these missiles that Ukraine has been able to reopen their black Sea ports. That matters to people seeking to understand both this conflict and the future of unconventional naval warfare. I mean, I guess you could say this is the future of conventional naval warfare, but I think we're still leaning on the unconventional side at the moment, at least in terms of how doctrine is changing as a result of this. So maybe I should update how we're defining this. But for our purposes as people unlikely to have access to cruise missiles but significantly likely to find ourselves waging an unconventional than having cruise missiles, it's more relevant to look at the new weapons systems Ukraine has developed that have helped them lock down the Black Sea fleet using civilian hobbyists. And this is where we get to drones. Ukraine's conventional aerial drones are a mix of actual military hardware. I'm talking about stuff like the Bairaktar, the Turkish drone, which is like kind of like the Predator A right, it's like an actual military product. But the majority in terms of numbers of drones that Ukraine is fielding are civilian drones, or at least drones that started out a civilian technology. A lot of these are now built to be military, but they're still based on these designs that started with people hacking and cobbling together civilian drones and outside of naval stuff. Prior to the war, there had been a lot of veterans and hobbyists who were veterans trying to convince the Ukrainian military that it needed to adopt drone warfare on a large scale, the kind of drone warfare that you can do with these these less expensive drones, and they received a lot of pushback until the war started and these guys just took to the fields, started fucking murking Russian armed units and infantry and killing generals and shit. And now Ukraine has integrated in a way that everyone is going to follow. Like Ukrainian like battalions have like companies now that are drone assault companies, and like line battalions, and.
Speaker 6: Within infantry you have people used artillery eating transit forwards.
Speaker 2: Yes, all over. They have set a goal for this year producing at least a million and ideally more like two million drones, and at least from what I read, that looks like very plausible and most of these are quite small, right, but that doesn't mean obviously ineffective.
Speaker 6: I know they buy a lot of their drones in the UK because the UK has consistently kicked itself in the nuts when it comes to like Brexit, and so the pound is significantly weaker, and so they're able to get the drones at a cheaper price and then drive them all the way across.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I know people who have done that. I was going to go join them, but never worked it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know there are a number of different like these. These these drones earlier in the war had an easier time being effected, i even causing casualties in the Russians.
Speaker 1: Then later.
Speaker 2: This is something that you know, kind of the hooplaw and support which I think is necessary that Ukraine gets. Lead some people to discount the degree to which Russian forces have adapted and gotten smarter. And one of the ways in which they've adapted and gotten smarter is in blocking drones and using drones of their own. You know, one of the stories the last couple of weeks is that Russia has succeeded in carrying out strikes on advanced weapons systems like samsites deep in Ukrainian territory. They've extended their kill chain beyond what they used to be capable of, and that's because they've adapted. They're also adapted with less efficacy at blocking drones and attacks on naval vessels. Some of this has been kind of funny. I want to read a quote from a Business Insider article here. Russia is painting silhouettes on naval vessels on land to try and trick Ukraine, which keeps destroying its warships. In an intelligence update on Wednesday, the UK Ministry of Defense said that silhouettes of vessels have also been painted on the side of ks probably to confuse the uncrude aerial vehicle operators. They showed there's some images of this. They don't seem convincing to me. I don't know if I think this is working.
Speaker 1: This is great.
Speaker 2: I love this, like they have a cardboard navy next. Yeah, it's very bugs bunny. Yes, they're not working as well as bugs would like a.
Speaker 6: Hole in the side of the cliff face and crushing into it.
Speaker 2: Keeps throwing. It's very funny. I mean obviously they just Ukraine just sank like or damn it badly damaged. Four boats. So I don't think this is I haven't seen evidence that this is working well. Their actual like jamming efforts have been much more successful, right, Yeah, they always will be on civilian One of the thing that's really interesting compared to Meanma is that Ukraine tends to rely on modified off the shelf civilian drones, right your dji is that kind of thing in Mianma because of where a lott of the PDFs are. Because but they increasingly do control the borders, but they haven't always. They have been making their own drones. The group called Federal Wings you can find them on telegram who who make their own drones, and I think those seem to be less the Jammas that the sac that the Tamado has are Chinese made Jamma rifles. You see them all the time in captured weapon cashes, but they don't seem to be having as much impact on these homemade drones, which is really interesting. Yeah. Yeah, and it's you know, I've mentioned a couple of times we're doing this in part because the odds that people listening might be involved in an irregular conflict are not zero. You know what I think about when I say that is not that there's high odds for any individual person fighting themselves in that situation, but there is, given the number of people who listened to this podcast, probably someone who is not currently involved in a conflict that will find themselves that way in the future. And I base that in part on the fact that all of our friends in Myanmar who are currently fighting a war were a couple of years ago delivery drivers and you know, playing pubg online and not really thinking they would wind up as insurgents.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I've spoken to a number of people who are currently fighting done in Mianma who have listened to our Mianma podcast and realized the capacity of three D printing to be very useful and so like, even in that sense, it's already happening. But yeah, don't know one in Memma. Like many of them said that their entire combat experience is playing pubg. Yeah, now they're murking ships.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So anyway, it bears thinking about this stuff. And this brings me back to Ukraine's irregular drone warfare units, which again a lot of these guys started out as civilian enthusiasts who expanded responded to the outbreak or at least expansion of hostilities by expanding their hobby into a real world military effort that had a real world effect. Civilian drones were crucial in the Battle of Kiev, allowing Ukraine to do severe damage to that massive Russian armored column heading towards the city and providing intel that led to the assassination of multiple general level officers. So it is perhaps not surprising that Ukraine looked to the same group of volunteer hobbyists when it came time to expand their naval arsenal. And there's a really good article I found in CNN by some Bashtian Shukla, Alex Marcott and Daria Tarasova. And I actually want to give you the title of this article. Yeah, I'll try to thriller in the show notes is exclusive rare access to Ukraine's sea drones part of Ukraine's fight back in the Black Sea. Haven't really seen the word fight backies that way, but there you go. So I'm going to read a quote from that article. A government linked Ukrainian fundraising organization called United twenty four has sourced money from companies and individuals all around the world, pooling funds to disperse it to a variety of developers and initiatives, from defense to soccer matches. The entire outfit is very security conscious, insisting on strict guidelines on filming and revealing identities. Those who seen and met with declined to give their full names or even their ranks within Ukraine's armed forces. On a creaky wooden jetty, a camouflaged sea drone pilot says he wants to go by shark in front of him is a long, black, hard show briefcase. He unveils a bespoke multi screened mission control, essentially an elaborate gaming center combined, complete with levers, joysticks, a monitor, and buttons that have covers over switches that shouldn't accidentally be knocked. With labels like Blast. The developer of the drone, who act to remain anonymous sid their work on sea drones only began once the war started. It was very important because we did not have many forces to resist the maritime state Russia, and we needed to develop something of our own because we didn't have the existing capabilities. So again, these are hobbyist design I mean, this guy's not really a hobbyist anymore, but that's how he started. He's only not a hobbyist because the military recognized the value of what he was doing. And the current iterations of this sea drone weigh a little over two thousand pounds with an explosive six hundred and sixty one pound payload, a five hundred mile range and a max speed of fifty miles per hour. That is a significant weapons system. Multiple sea drones have been used to strike Russian assets in the Black Sea, and drones were involved in a successful attack that severely damaged the Kirch Bridge last July, rendering it impassable since until September. So these have had a real battlefield effect and they probably will continue to do so. The developer of these drones told CNN these drones are a completely Ukrainian production. They are designed, drawn and tested here. It's our own production of holes, electronics and software. More than fifty percent of the production of equipment is here in Ukraine. And that's really significant because you know, I think we're all aware of the difficulty Ukraine has had getting weaponry lately from the West as a result of fucking around in Congress, and so it is a necessity for them to be able to develop weapon systems like this that can interdict and counteract more advanced and expensive weapon systems and can be produced indigenously. You know, I don't think we have seen a mass suicide boat attack. I'm interested in what happens when we do, like with more significant numbers than we've seen deployed. I kind of wonder the degree to which the Russians have gotten good at spotting this stuff. I've come across at least a couple of stories of these boats likely destroyed on approach. So they certainly don't always work even a majority of the time. But given the cost of these things they don't have to get through the majority of the time, very much worth it. Right now, In you Know that interview with the New York Times, Admiral Najpapa caution that a Ukraine is still outgunned in the Black Sea. Even though the Russians no longer have supremacy, they still have air superiority. They are still able to launch from the sea long range missiles at Ukrainian targets, including civilian targets, So this is not again a situation that should be portrayed as them having their own way. Their ability to kind of interdict the sea has been the primary effects of it have been number one, the reopening of trade in the Black Sea and earlier in the war, by locking down the ability of these landing ships to put more troops on ground, and by doing damage to the Kurch Bridge, they were able to slow Russian reinforcements in Russian materiel from entering the war zone in order to this aided in some of the advances, particularly in areas like Carson. At this moment, the situation has changed because again, the Russians aren't just kind of like sitting around doing the same thing over again, or at least not always, and we don't tend to talk as much about successes on the Russian side of things, but that is an important part of the story. And one of the things the Russians have done is kind of igledge that the Black Sea Fleet may not be a fleet in being forever and certainly cannot be relied upon to handle everything they initially thought it would handle. And so Russian engineers spent a significant period of time building a sizable new railroad that connects Rostov and southern Russia to Mariopol and occupied southern Ukraine. This has allowed them to get high volume shipments into the area and supply troops to the area along Ukraine's southern front without relying on that bridge or relying on naval landings.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: So the fact that Ukraine has been able to take out for landing ships recently is good. That's a win for Ukraine. It reduces Russian capability, but it is not half the same effect that it would have had, for example, two years earlier. Right, Yeah, because Russia has also evolved, and among other things, railroads are a lot easier or a lot harder to destroy to take out. Right, It's easy to damage a railroad, but they're easy to fix. It doesn't take a lot to get some guys over to fix a damage sunk of railroad. Fixing a bridge that's been blown up or a sunk boat is a lot harder.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, and there are people within Russia even who are sabotaging railroads, but as you say, it's like it's very high stakes for them, and it's relatively low cost for the Russian state to fix that stuff, so like it's not as effective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think this gives you an idea of kind of like what we're looking at when we look at this kind of ongoing irregular conflict is the side that does not have access to a functional navy, not able to interdict or destroy fleets, but able to stop them from dominating the coast. And when you can stop them from dominating the coast, you have effectively denied them terrain that they can act in without being countered, and you have also denied them from stopping you from acting in that same terrain, even if you don't have total safety in that area. That opens up the operational possibilities substantially. And this is something that I kind of don't think is going to get put back in the bag. Even if some of these Star Wars ass weapons systems do come out in the near future. You know, maybe that'll have an impact in the immediate term on people like the houthies, but I don't think that it really will on you know, for example, what Ukraine's doing right Yes, yeah.
Speaker 6: Russia can't keep up with getting decent small arms, body armor, grenades, and ships. There's no way it's going to implement some kind of massive Star Wars system over its navy, not right now, not in the middle of a conflict that's it's struggling to supply yep.
Speaker 2: You know what, here's an ad break.
Speaker 6: All right, we're back and we are traveling around the world. Spend your little globe in your head and look for Meanma, which is of course in Asia. Now I'm talking about two different I guess anti ship sabotage or attack or two different ways ships have been sunk in the Amba. I'll start with the first one, which is undoubtedly the flashiest, just because it's fun. So a ship in the port of Yangon about about a month ago, so we're recording on a twenty. It's about the first of March. It was in the river, in the river in Yangon, right, and it was carrying allegedly carrying jet fuel. Now, if you follow Burmese activists, people in the Burmese Freedom movement, they will one of their demands for a long time has been to stop supplying the Hunter with jet fuel, which would in turn stop it being able to bomb villages, schools, civilians, PDF formations, just about anyone in the country. It's bombed at some point in the last couple of years. And they haven't been exactly right. They haven't been able to stop the supply of jet fuel coming to the Hunter. So they've taken it into their own hands. And what they did on the first of March was that they snuck onto a boat. So two, this is the story from the Burmese National Unity Governments Ministry Defense. Anyway, combat divers snuck onto this boat planted a kilogram of TNT or a charge equivalent to a kilogram of TNT. Robert and I've both spoken to people who make explosives in mema, so we do. We definitely know the PDF has access to a range of explosives. They set it on a five hour fuse and it blew up in the middle of the night, and there's definitely footage of the ship on fire having blown up. Now, this is pretty remarkable for never real Like this is like why the United States has units like the Navy Seals, right, like the higher speed guys, because it is not easy to scuba dive across a harbor, climb onto a ship, send an explosive charge without being detected, and then leave that ship and have the charge go off and sink the ship without you being compromised, without the charge itself being like compromised, and the ship being saved. Right, this is some like this is some classic like this is why they are special unit within the US Minute Now, the PDF very obviously did not have combat divers. Two years ago, I was looking into hobby scuba diving in Yangon. The rivers in that area are extremely muddy and visibility is very low, So the people who you find diving in that area are not so much like hobby scuba divers or free divers, but there's salvage divers and there's a whole little industry of people. And these people are diving in equipment that I would not consider safe or reliable. It's clamping an air hose in between your teeth and diving down and trying to find there's a large deposit of coal in one of the rivers in Yangon because of a ship that's sunk. There was a course copper, which everyone all around the world, including the Vigcong in Santia, are stealing copper. There's iron, right, So these people are diving down and trying to collect scrap and sell that for whatever minimal amount they can. Right, It's an extremely dangerous an extremely low income. It's one of the sort of really high risk, low reward jobs that you get in economies where people are really struggling to make ends meet, right, So those are the only divers I can find evidence of in Yangon. I don't think it was them who did this, because you have to have a boat above you with a pump if you're diving with a rubber hose in your teeth, right, So it seems like somebody in within the They said it was a Yangon PDF, that's what they attribute it to, So that would be one of these. It would likely be an underground group within the PDF, right, some people living in the city who were able to sneak onto this boat, set a charge and blow it up, And they would also had to have intelligence at the boat where it was, what it was carrying, et cetera. It's a pretty pretty daring mission that this is the first one like this we've seen, and we haven't seen anything since. But it's of course possible that this is a story that we're being told. In fact, they had like someone undercover on the ship, right, or like they had some other means of getting this charge onto the ship. But one way or another they managed to blow up this ship carrying fuel, which is a significant debt trim. Yeah, right, and that's how they get most of their shit, it's not over land, especially with more the.
Speaker 2: Terrain there is just absolutely like even with modern technology difficult to get significant amounts of shit through.
Speaker 6: They're resupplying some of their outposts that are ten miles from a town with helicopters right now, like A the terrain is burly, and B they don't have The PDF has denied them access that. Any time they send out a convoy, it gets attacked, so setting out. Plus, you know that their land border crossings are increasingly falling into the hands of the PDFs and the ROS, So getting stuff through the ocean is one of the ways that they can still get stuff. And if this keeps happening, then they will make that more expensive for them. And they're not exactly a wealthy like hunter, even though I guess Lung just made himself an air force one recently. I was just looking at it today.
Speaker 2: He's good.
Speaker 6: He's got himself too luxury. Yeah, they called it dictator class, like he's upgraded from president class.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yes, he has in many ways. So, yeah, that's one way that the PDF has been blowing up ships in the Yangon Robert, do you know who else has been blowing up ships in the yang In Yangon.
Speaker 2: Well, we are sponsored entirely by the British Navy circa the mid eighteen hundreds, so I would guess them that's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Lots of repressed, repressed feelings and growing up a.
Speaker 2: Lot of cabin boys with deep trauma. Anyway, here's the ass.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, we're Becka. We hope you enjoyed that. That pivot one of our best ones yet. And we're talking about the Arakan Army now. So the Arakan Army are not to be confused with the Arakan Rahine of Salvation Army. Different group. Arakan is a name of what is now a kind state before it was colonized by the Burmese. That was I think Arakan was a king before it was colonized by the Burmese, so that that's where that refers to. It's a geographical appellation rather than like necessarily an ethnic one. The Rakin would be the ethnic group. So what the AA have done is sunk I think at least four Hunter ships now, and most of these ships are kind of they're like the they look like big Higgins boats. They're like landing craft or like car ferries, like flat bottom with a bow that goes down.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: I rode around a lot in the Marshall Islands in little landing craft like that because they can get them in. They don't have like docks, so they can just ride that right up to the beach and then drop the front and off you go. And they use them a lot. The Hunter doesn't have like per se marines that they don't have maritime infantry, but they they use them to transport their regular army around, right, and they use them to transport them up river. They also use them a lot in Rakhine State to shell AA positions and any townships that they've decided they want to wipe off the map and kill all the people in.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: So these these boats have been a real like thorn in the side of the Aracan Army. After Operation ten twenty seven, when they joined with two other groups to form the Three Brotherhood Alliance, A launch attacks on the Hunter all over Vima. And so what they've been doing, it appears, is using underwater mines to sink these ships, which is interesting, right, Like, I guess the mines are like a very old technology, right, it's probably one hundred years plus underwater mines have existed. It seems the way that like, the reason they're able to get away with using what is their relatively dated technology is because the hunter doesn't expect to encounter anything, right, and so has not equiped its ships as such, Like they do have stuff like submarines, but that's not what's getting sunk. What's getting sun of these big kind of landing craft riverboats, And it seems that they're using mines and then once they disabled the ship, they're then attacking it with small boats, small arms like indirect fire mortars and stuff. I saw one post that suggested they'd use which is pretty cool if they did. The Burmese military has these like tank destroyers. It's a tank, it's what it is, and they've captured the AA has captured a number of these, and I've seen suggestions that they're using some of these on like they just set up an ambush along the banks of the river, right and as a ship comes in they can they can maybe disable it with a mine and then attack it with those. But there are videos online you can find them of the AA sinking these ships and then they've done some amazing drone photography of like they obviously they then like staged their units on the ships, like all saluting the drone and they had the Arakan Army flags and they're actually really cool photos of them taking these. But again, like I think this might be the first sinking of a Bermese naval ship since since independence from Britain, Like I can't think that they were. They really haven't played much of a role at all in its comics with the Eros aside as from like basically kind of just shelling places when they want to do that. But there's never really been any significant opposition to them, and that's changed now they have to obviously, just like everywhere else, watch out for drones. R drones have been used to a massive extent in Myanmar, and like the AA doesn't have as many like associated PDFs, I haven't seen them doing as much of the drone stuff as the PDFs. The pdf tend to be like the more urban folks, right, the younger folks and the gen Z folks that we've spoken about before, and a lot of them have been very savvy with their use of drones. Like I said, you can look up Federal wings and you can see them dropping bombs with drones and all kinds of stuff with their heavy metal soundtracks. So they like, but that what it wasn't even drone to you, it's pretty simple. It was just mine. So things they do love mines and meat of mines all over that country. But in this case, these I guess massive what mines in the rivers. Given that the Hunter is the only only entity sending big boats up and down, you could set them at a certain depth where these small boats wouldn't hit them, and eventually one of the Hunter boats is going to hit them, I guess. And so it's pretty basic technology, but it's still a massive step forward in terms of like a place where the state had complete impunity, it now doesn't.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: They can't just cruise up and down these rivers shelling people. They were actually using some of the ships to evacuate soldiers and their families from a position. The soldiers they were trying to like, rather than surrendering, they were trying to evacuate them and move them to somewhere else. The AA asked them to surrender, and they didn't. They tried to evacuate them. So then they mined the ships and took those out. I think the hunters. Like tried to spin this as like the AA is attacking civilians, but I think a Burmese Navy ship with a Burmese Navy flag, when those ships have just been shelling you, seems like a legitimate target to me. And I think it's very hard. It's you know, it's a hunter, but children on one of their naval ships rather than the AA who attacked the ship because it had children. You can hear in one of the things. You can hear the AA are like attacking the ship in small boats and they're shouting like there are children on board, and you can hear them acknowledging it. And there are videos of the AA rescuing people who jumped overboard, rescuing them from the river, and then like, I guess they've just held us. POW's cool. Yeah, it's cool. It's interesting. Obviously, not many of us have access to underwater mines, but you know, maybe in a fictional future we might.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, there you go, folks. This has been irregular naval warfare. And you a podcast about a regular naval warfare and you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, send us to your videos of yourself. Yeah, ir regular naval.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, go out there. Look how about this, Every listener go out and sink one naval vessel, you know, no matter who's just any boat. Any go sink a boat, any boat, take super yot, knock it out. You see a dinghy, take that fucker out. People kayaking, fuck them up, you know. Ban on a boat, absolutely, a banana boat for sure. One of those weird duck boat car things that they have in some city. Oh yeah, actually, you know what, you don't need to do anything with that. That'll kill everybody on board on Those things are traps. Just pray for those.
Speaker 6: Yeah, any any other boat. Yeah, you see a doughnut, you know behind a speedboat?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, murk it anyway, everybody go away. Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 5: It Could Happen here as a production of Pool Zone.
Speaker 4: Need for more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 5: You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening,