Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal. He'll that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edo Steak is that?
Speaker 2: Whoo whoo?
Speaker 1: And Don and Tie.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Stalid Verbal Boys and Girls Money as always, Tie Hildebrand, his name as always, Dan Rubinstein. Please to have you back on the podcast, mister Rubinstein. How are you fine, sir?
Speaker 1: I'm doing better voice wise. I know I probably sound a little bit different than I usually do, but I'm better than I was when we recorded our little emergency hit when Paul christ was relieved of his duties Sunday evening. We're recording this Tuesday midday. I just had to glance over and check at the time and the day because that's who I am as a human. But I'm good. Ty. I always love these Q and A episodes, and not many of them get released to the public because it's a special bonus feature for our subscribers on verbalers dot Com on our Patreon, which is just incredible. So I'm always happy, uh to interact and bounce things off of them and bounce things off of you.
Speaker 2: I am as well. This episode, all of our episodes driven by our good friends over at Geico.
Speaker 1: Do not forget.
Speaker 2: If you're in the New York area. On Friday, October the seventh, we are doing College Football, the game show. We have begun preparations. The show is going to be awesome. I am looking forward very much to this show. A lot of moving pieces. Oh it's gonna be so cooing sounds from all sorts of different places, odd crevasses around the interwebs, but this is coming together in a way. I'm really excited. We'll love a good cravas Soliverblelive dot com, slash smelltieshar dot com if you are ever so inclined. As Dan mentioned, today's show is a Q and A show. We don't get to typically do a whole lot of these during the season because there's just games to discuss. We generally will save the Q and A stuff for our brew, which you can find. As Dan mentioned earlier over at Forballers dot com, we do it live every Thursday morning for those of you who want to hop on over not just get the discord, but also participate live do a lot of Q and A stuff during the year. This is one of the few weeks where we're going to do it just for the general public. We do them often in the off season. Now, after the benefit of one month of the college football season, the calendar has turned to October, we know a little bit more about these teams, right, starting to get our starting to get our feet wet with respect to the twenty twenty two college football season. Why don't we dive right in and answer some of your verballer questions. Congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail. You've got mail on the solid ruble. As often as we can, Dan, we pay homage to the verbawler hood. And let's start on today's show with Heather. Okay, not including your alma mater and or team that you like to root for. If you could coach one college football team in any division, which team would you choose? And why? If you'd like to elaborate, Thank you, Heather, and we will elaborate. Appreciate the question.
Speaker 1: So is this just in general or this year's squad or recent squads? Ty, how do you interpret this?
Speaker 2: I think this is a free response from Heather. I think you can interpret it however you want. Let me give you my answer to start Okay, My answer for a good long time has generally been Vanderbilt. I believe Vanderbilt be the perfect job because here's really yeah, I do. Here's why. First off, the pressure is low, not like super low you're in the SEC, but generally lower than your counterparts in the conference. You are inarguably the best, slashed close to the richest conference in college football, so resource is not necessarily an issue. You're in a cool place to live, Nashville, Tennessee, and anytime you do something good, it will be magnified and you will be made to be a hero in the college football world because all we ever hear is how hard it is to win at Vanderbilt. Right. James Franklin's built a career on those few seasons that he was at Vanderbilt, did a good job, and he's done continue to do a good job at Penn State generally speaking. But you do well at Vanderbilt, you become something of a folk hero in college football world. So for me, Vandy's an answer. I think along the same lines. Illinois has been one of my answers for a good long time.
Speaker 1: You want to live in a champagne.
Speaker 2: I've never been to Champagne. I don't think you want to live in Champagne. Maybe I don't want to live in Champagne, but I don't think. Yeah. But my point is just it's a pressure thing. It's a pressure thing. Now, maybe that will change in light of what's going on this year at Illinois with Brett Bieloma and he's obviously got the Allie and I playing to a pretty exciting level of football. Right. For a good long time, the pressure at Illinois just wasn't there. You could have a good, long career without having to worry about turning gray at a young age, and any time you would go above and beyond that was the kind of thing that that again would kind of christen you a folk hero in the world of college football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would just coach Arizona State because for a lot of the similar reasons. You can be good and not great and have a job for a long time. You can attract good assistance, you can recruit Southern California, Arizona has gotten better. You can get you can go into Texas, you can live in a warm place, you can eat pretty well. I know that's not important to all of us, but like just in terms of a lifestyle. You can do worse than the Metro Phoenix area. You can win games, but the expectation is not that especially now with USC and UCLA losing. Like if the PAC ten twelve, whatever it's going to become, isn't looked at as a major pressure cooker of a conference. If you're merely good, often you're kind of set there. Yeah, so I think AIRSU is an interesting answer. I think TCU is an interesting answer for a similar reason, right that the expectations aren't huge, But it's also not a situation like Vandy where you're gonna just get your teeth kicked in all the time and you just have to absorb it and you have to convince kids that, yeah, sometimes we're gonna play Georgia, sometimes we're gonna play Bama. Sometimes we're gonna play a better Tennessee or a better LSU, and we're gonna lose fifty one to seven. You cool with that. So that's it's the bummer of ASU should always be competitive, a competitive enough to hang with really strong teams in their conference. But at the same time, if you win eight or nine a year, it's blank check. It's absolute, Well, maybe not a blank check in the PAC twelve, but a sizeable check will come your way pretty often. Now, will TCU hire a coach with the last name Rubinstein at Texas Christian University?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe not, maybe not.
Speaker 1: But I see that as another opportunity where you can hire good coaches. You know, there's a lot of good FCS schools, smaller group of five schools, whatever, where you can sort of have your pick of up and coming assistance. Obviously, you can recruit well and get blue chips from the DFW area and beyond. You have a dedicated fan base that will just be happy that you don't If you don't do something disastrously and you go to a bowl all the time, there's nobody's going to be disappointed unless you're getting blown out by you know, by Baylor, by SMU. Everybody's gonna be pretty happy if you're winning nine games a year and going to the Alamobile.
Speaker 2: Let me pivot off of this and ask kind of a follow up question. Yeah, we are all answering teams that are not on that top rung. Yeah, even in that top twenty rung. Yeah, if you had to pick one of the blue blood programs, the Notre Dames, the Michigans, the Ohio States, the Texas, the Oklahoma, the US right, really the prominent teams Yeah, that at least recently or somewhat recently have had their hat in the ring for the championship. If you're picking on that level, which where you're going with.
Speaker 1: God in terms of like how easy or not easy my life is at one of those places, Like it seems like it would be really, really, really difficult to screw up Ohio State. Yeah, at this point, like you're actually thinking about the jobs where there is the least resistance within your conference, that things are behind you in terms of infrastructure to give you every opportunity in the world to build a top five roster, and that it would be hard to win nine games or eight games right with the things available to at Ohio State. I don't necessarily want to live in Columbus, Ohio. I've been, and I think it's totally fine. I've enjoyed it at different times of the year. But if again, if I'm having my brothers, I'm incorporating geography into this and just not my move personally, but of those jobs, if we're strictly looking at that in terms of like you're living in the facility. Anyway, what is the hardest to screw up? Now, there's a ton of pure as the head coach at Ohio State, but with the day to Danis Danis of Georgia, Alabama, LSU Texas. Now Texas would be a good time, But like, I just don't see it as being set up booster wise and infrastructure wise to succeed in the way that Ohio State is. So in terms of the most difficult job to screw up at this point, it's probably Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Let's go over to beat you of a Okay, how much patients should fans of a program that has maybe started to plateau have with their coach i e. Wisconsin giving the heave ho to Paul christ after two merely average seasons or Iowa State fans getting impatient with Matt Campbell not moving them to the next level. Does it matter if your expectations are sky high slash borderline unreasonable? I think John Cooper at Ohio State, Frank Solich at Nebraska, Brian Kelly at Notre Dame, or having a more mediocre to bad history. So there's a couple questions in there. This is obviously predicated someone on what happened to Paul Chris. Now, we haven't had a whole lot of an opportunity to talk about the Paul Christ situation on the podcast, given the fact that it happened, as it always does, on a Sunday after we hit the stop button. So perhaps we can discuss that a little bit now and use Paul Christ as a go buy for the rest of college football. Paul Christ recently, as in last week, lost by twenty four at home to Illinois. Illinois is not what it was in years past. Brett Bielma has them playing well. They're a four and one team at time of recording, But the manner in which Wisconsin loss was particularly troubling, and the way that the offense has looked so far, despite bringing over a new offensive coordinator, it's not been very appealing. It's just not given anyone the impression that things are going in a good direction. So, by surprise, Wisconsin decides they were moving on from Paul Christ, supposedly after a lengthy chat with mister Christ. They've also negotiated down his buyout to somewhere in the eleven million dollar range. I believe that's down from about nineteen or eighteen somewhere in there, right. So Paul Christ, a native son of Wisconsin, doing his part, I guess on some level to help the university not take the full buyout and allow them to put it towards a new coach. So who knows who the new guy is going to be. We can maybe talk about that if we want. But we did put out a call in our videos and in the short snippet that we recorded after the fact, that we wanted folks to write in, Wisconsin fans to write in and let us know what their thoughts were on the hiring. You will not be surprised to learn that one hundred percent of the messages we received were in favor of this move. Everybody wanted to get rid of Paul Chris, and not even like in a mean way. The people who emailed.
Speaker 1: In were very, very friendly, and all the people connected to Wisconsin, right the Wisconsin fans that Wisconsin to the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean everybody was very diplomatic about it. I think everybody has the utmost respect for Paul Christ. But the general sentiment that I got is it was time you could see it on the field. We're happy to see them move on. There also is an assumption that Jim Leonard, the now interim coach slash defensive coordinator, is going to be the next guy out for the job. That will all work itself out in due time. But before we even get into this question from beat you of a now that we've had a couple days to process the news Dan, the Paul Criss thing, how surprising was it to you? And was it the right move to make it this time?
Speaker 1: An incredible surprise? Not because it wasn't worth a conversation and not worth not because it wasn't unjustified, but just because with a lot of these guys who have succeeded, which there are not many on the level of Paul christ in terms of the Bulls, in terms of the wins whatever. I mean, He's won ten games and went to the Rose Bowl in twenty nineteen, right, yep, yep that and Wisconsin to date has done a lot of excellent things, sometimes an offense, sometimes a defense, sometimes developing higher level NFL players, like do they have the best running back in the NFL? I don't know follow the NFL closely enough, but I know Jonathan Taylor is in that conversation, right, so develop legit superstars at the next level at the moment. So I just figured that it would if this situation would have been a either overhaul your coaching staff or done in December. Now, because of the current mechanics of the sport being that there is a signing day in December, teams are doing everything they can to make a decision that they know they're going to make as early as possible because of keeping together a recruiting class or giving that next guy all the time in the world to quickly assemble a recruiting class to sign in December and February right to sort of lock in those relationships. So, just with regard to Wisconsin, it I don't know, it falls under the thing we talked about last year. I think where there's going to be sort of an older guard falling off in the coaching community that doesn't necessarily want to be as proactive in the portal, as proactive with NIL stuff, and that doesn't fully want to I'm trying to think of the right word here, that doesn't fully want to admit the current realities of the sport that this isn't how it was ten years ago, five years ago, twenty years ago when I was an assistant, when I was a young head coach or whatever, and football is football and everybody else is doing it and passing you by. Now. Wisconsin has not been able to develop a quarterback during the christ era in the way that a lot of schools that Wisconsin beats are able to. And ultimately, I think that was the term backslide that Wisconsin fans have used a lot when you look at the recruiting trail with Wisconsin, when you look at quarterback development, when you look at the ability to hire or maintain assistance or change things on offense, Wisconsin has been in this program that And I'm sure you had this in your school. What was your high school GPA tie if you don't mind me asking, I know it's very personal, some whatever region it.
Speaker 2: Was, Yeah, I mean it was I think with AP credits, probably above A four. I don't remember exactly.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, damn, okay, so you can't relate to this. So mine was I don't know, three six threes.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was somewhere that was like in that B plus A minus range. I was a totally okay student. I was a pretty good test taker, a good essay writer or whatever. But I didn't do my homework, I didn't study for the little tests, and I didn't do as well on them. Wisconsin always did its busy work right. Wisconsin would always beat this year's iteration of Illinois. They didn't sort of wait for the big games to show up. They showed up every single week and beat the brains out of everybody who was lesser or around the same level. Because they were so well coached. Guys always stuck around in Wisconsin, developed played as upperclassmen, and the system was just infuriatingly efficient efficient. That fell off right, So in terms of patients, when you look at underlying issues that Wisconsin has always done X well, Wisconsin has always done why well. And it's a development place, right. They're never going to put together top fifteen classes and string those together, but they're going to find those three stars, develop them for a couple of years before they see serious time on the field, and then they thrive and then they are part of a top five national defense or one of the best offensive lines in the country. Whatever. They stick to what they do and they do it well. When that goes, it seems it's hard to get it back, and so I don't know if it's the specific Illinois loss and the symbolic nature of it being Brett Beelima being the guy on the other side of the field and essentially out Wisconsin and Wisconsin with that run defense and Chase Brown, it can't feel good, right. Maybe it was the symbolic nature of that specific loss, but I think it's sort of a toothpaste in the two type situation. You can't point to, well, he's got a top eight recruiting class, like maybe Louisville can with Scott's afield with his ridiculous class. At least at the moment coming in. You can't point to competitive losses with Nebraska bringing back Scott Frost because of how Nebraska played against Ohio State and Michigan and all these teams Oklahoma. So the manner, which is the word you use, that we've been using a lot, I think is an overwhelming part of this that there's nothing that Wisconsin and the administrators of Wisconsin can point to. Yes, but at least this looks like it's going to be a bright spot for years to come. Now that's the issue to me is practice patients. When it's early and there are signs of growth, and right now it just seems that Wisconsin's trying to do what it always did well and it's they're doing it poorly, and that's hard to reverse course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, so much of college football right now is trading on potential success. Sure, trading on potential dollars that could follow down the line if somebody, you know, if you catch lightning in a bottle and you can put the right coach in the right spot at the right time, build a program up in time for this incredible windfall of cash that is upon us now in college football, programs could really stand a benefit from that. And I think the manner in which a program has conducted itself here Obviously through the early part of twenty twenty two, that's been a story, as we've seen coaches be relieved of duties for the last four weeks running. But if it just doesn't feel like there is momentum in a positive direction at a place like Wisconsin, you know, for as as much as it sucks to see by all accounts, a good guy like Paul Chris Loser's job, it also makes a lot of sense Wisconsin is looking seeing the writing on the wall here with respect of the Big ten, and there is this feeling, I think that you have to make a change now, otherwise you're going to be left behind. What's interesting to me on the coaching candidate front is and I know there's this assumption that Jim Leonard is probably going to be the guy at Wisconsin. We will find out, right, we will find out. They have essentially given him like seven games now six seven games to figure out what can he do with the talent on hand, how can he make that better different vice versa. And he's essentially got an audition here, so I think if this goes well, he's probably the guy. I would also be stunned if they didn't make a call to lance Leipold because Lance Lypold was at Wisconsin Whitewater where he did great things before obviously moving over to Buffalo and then going down to Kansas and now his Kansas at an undefeated mark of five and oh number nineteenth in the country. So Jim Leonard, I think, is in a really interesting spot here. And I saw Bruce Felman, our friend Bruce Fellman from Fox Sports and the Athletics said that if you're a Nebraska fan, you want Jim Lenard to win all those games, because that reduces the likelihood that they're going to go out and try to get Lance light Pold. I don't know if Lance Leipold is leaving Kansas, but if he wants to, he will have options, not the least of which is Wisconsin and obviously Nebraska.
Speaker 1: So it would be the easiest thing for Wisconsin for Jim Leonard to be really strong. That's all, that's all they're hoping for in the athletic department right now. Please Jim Leonard be clearly strong and a difference maker and you know, have a different vision for this offense and get this defense playing better upfront, especially with what Illinois was able to do. So because that's that's the seamless Wisconsin way that has worked for them, right They hired Gary Anderson was an outside hire and that obviously, I mean, he's just a different guy. Whatever. That was just probably never going to work out in the long term. But Brett Bielma being internal obviously, Paul christ with his longtime experience in Wisconsin that Jim Leonard he's only been at Wisconsin. He's still a young guy. Just his coaching career wise. Yeah, and the recruiting class presumably would be in a really good place. And even if it's not that strong, which it isn't at the moment, it's in the fifties, I believe you'll resonate on the trail Jim Leonard in Wisconsin, in Ohio and Michigan whatever, not to do a Howard Dean impression, but you could see that in this world where you know, look at the schools that have hired really young coaches. When you look at you know, Oregon and noted name, you know the guy, even guys in their forties, Florida, Brian Kelly, well into his eighties. Now, I mean that it is that is going to be. I think there's going to be that divide where the older guard is going to fall off, and Jim Leonard absolutely represents upside of a younger guard. Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: By the way, before we go any further on this one, here you got a sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who are they playing this week?
Speaker 2: They're at Northwestern, They're favored by ten. I think Wisconsin will destroy Northwestern's right they're here. Yeah, I think Wisconsin will absolutely annihilate Northwestern this week. So there's there's one of my locks. I don't even we probably won't even talk about that game on the previews show, but I've already bet that game minus ten. All Right. The question here, just getting back to this is basically how much patience should a school show?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's the line of thinking being good being the enemy of the great. Is that what the cliche is good is the enemy of great? And the worry for a lot of places is that you end up firing Frank solic right, and then the rotating cast of coaches who like, oh, Frank Solich only won nine or ten games a year in Nebraska, we expect better, Like that's pretty good. Now. They they had they had moments with Bo Polini, of course, but they've been in a funk and that that's like a big, bright, shining example. What I go back to is how many schools truly regret making that move when it seemed like the necessarily the necessary thing to do. How many coaches have proven on a big public stage that they were let go because of on field results or lack thereof, and when they went to their next job that, oh, it turns out that school made a mistake and their standard was too high and they should have appreciated what they what they had. Yeah, you roar back to like it's not it's not super often it happens, and you can go back to Minnesota and you know some of the struggles they had. You know, there was I don't remember it was Stu Mandel or somebody like the Glen Mason line where it's like, you should be happy with six or seven wins, and you know, you hire a couple of coaches who don't get you there, and then it looks like a particularly terrible time to be Minnesota or something like that. But I don't I don't have a problem with schools holding themselves to a standard and saying we should win eight games. You know, we should win seven games, we should be a bowl team, or Iowa State, we're committed to football. I don't think Iowa State is saying can we do better than Matt Campbell?
Speaker 2: No, right, I think Matt Campbell is welcome as long as he's willing to stay correct.
Speaker 1: And so there is not a world to me in which Iowa State can realistically say Matt Campbell has an eight or nine win ceiling, and we think we can get to the next level with a better guy that doesn't exist in names. I think people and ames just big picture are thrilled with the Matt Campbell era, right because you've seen the down days, You've seen long stretches of down days, and so there are very few places unless you're not making a bowl game in your Arizona state and your Nebraska, your Florida or one of those schools like yeah, we should be winning eight games and progressing. There are schools that have a history of it that there's proof that they can win eight, nine, ten games a season. And if they're not getting there, and it's clearly a fixable reason why they're not getting there, then yes, I think. I think patients can be thrown out the window. But I'm also like, it's it's again, it's look at the underlying facts.
Speaker 2: Of the program, right Ty, Absolutely, Let's go to Blessed Elua from our Patreon. Yes, what's wrong with the Houston Cougars? What is wrong with the Houston Cougars. So I've got the stat profile in front of me. Okay, Houston right now is two and three. They beat you at ETSA the Thriller in week one. They also beat Rice. Rice not as bad of a team as we maybe thought at the start of the year, right, Uh, three losses to Texas Tech Kansas and two lane at Quick blush ooh, kind of everything really kind of everything with Houston. We were pretty high on the Kougs coming into this year. We're really high on the Cougars. We like Clayton Tune. It felt like, to some extent, Dana Holgerson, you know, snake bitten, for one reason or another, that this was going to be the season that they put it all together. I will say this is not an easy schedule. It's not an easy schedule by any stretch.
Speaker 1: All of these offenses, short of Rice, who's actually run the ball pretty well this year, are pretty feisty fighting. This is not an embarrassing record from Houston with regard to their opponents. With regard to expectations, yes, it is a little embarrassing.
Speaker 2: With regard to expectations, it has a bit embarrassing. What I will say is that the efficiency numbers don't really like Houston all that much, especially on defense. The defense, by all accounts looks like it is pretty much collapsed, pretty much collapsed. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They were really strong last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so you see that bottom out in the mander that it has. They're not playing the run all that well. That is just not a great formula offensively, where obviously Dana Holgerson has made a lot of hay over his time. They're also stunningly inefficient. And so you combine those two things against teams that can play offense, against teams that you know are at a minimum average, and there's your issue right now. We can dig much deeper if we really wanted, But what we're getting from this profile is that Houston is just not getting any bang for the buck, that whatever they're doing out there is not maximizing their situations, not maximizing their players' potential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're also just losing really close games. Situationally, they are not at executing and now they're in those situations because of a defense that's sort of fallen off the cliff, an offensive line that hasn't really protected Clayton Tune all that well. There's a lot of little things they did last year that they're not doing this year. But you know, if they're they come up with that big pick against Texas Tech. I think it was an overtime, it was late, right, and it's just turning that into points and that's the game, and they didn't. Right, So again, Tulane's pretty good. We know Kansas is pretty good. We know Texas Tech is at least frisky. They beat Texas and so it's coming them up big in moments that they probably wouldn't have found themselves in last year. But no, it's I don't know if it's an execution thing. I don't know if it's an injury thing. I don't know if it's a depth thing. They haven't a clear number one receiver who's been made plays in Tank Dell. But no, when when saddled with these expectations, especially as they head into the Big twelve, for whatever reason, game to game, they just have not been there.
Speaker 2: Have not been there. No, And you mentioned the line. I mean a lot of penalties on the line too. Yeah, I think I believe they are last nationally in offensive line penalties per game. Yeah, they're like five and a half penalties per game. That's double the national average. So that points to miscommunication on some level, that points to coaching. Right, I talked about that with respect to Notre Dame. They've they've been there too. As they kind of transition into this new regime, so we'll have to keep an eye on whether or not things go in the right direction for Houston. I do think it gets easier as the schedule gets into you know, mid October, all throughout November. There should be easier wins along the way, and hopefully this thing will balance out. But it's been a tough go. It's been a tough go, to say the least. Let's go over to Kyle kind of on the same lines here. This is I feel like this is a Dan Rubinstein special.
Speaker 1: This question.
Speaker 2: Okay, going into next football season, you are granted the ability to see the same stat for both teams, not including final score, for every game of the season. Yeah, which stat do you think would be most beneficial in predicting the outcome of those games? So this is like a blind study. We can't see the final score. All we can see is team A had this, Team B had that based on that stat alone as a predictor for who won or lost the game? Which stat are you going with? Can I use a Bill Connolly stat? You can use whatever you want, all right, then I'll.
Speaker 1: Just go with the stat that he says is most indicative of who wins games and that's explosive play rate. Yeah, I'll just how often that you are able to generate and prevent. Explosive plays is the single most telling more than turnovers, more than anything, the single most telling stat about who wins games most often. So it's generating and preventing. So I don't know if there's a net number there, but or a net percentage, whatever it is. That's what I would look at if you were to show me Oregon schedule and show me how often they were able to generate and prevent, or you were to show me Mississippi State, or you were to show me Florida and whatever across football. To me, that's what I would take, and that's what I would think would continue to be the most predictive as both units evolve. In the short coort.
Speaker 2: You kind of took my answer because I too have had the benefit of many Bill C conversations, So exposive play rate is a big one. That's probably the right.
Speaker 1: Dan Klobacar in the comments, point differential.
Speaker 2: Yeah, point differential is another one that indicates when they need YEA the most logical amongst the overballers. Yeah, here's another one that I can throw out that I look at I like third downs, I like third down conversions. I think that tells you a lot about a team. There is some luck involved with that, right, it's not always a perfect metric, but if you see a team went ten for sixteen on third downs, that's generally a case that the offense is doing what it's supposed to do and maybe the defense can't get off the field vice versa. If you see two out of sixteen, then you know that the offense really struggled against the defense. And I would think more often than not, that team's not winning a whole lot of games. So a bunch of these little data points that you could use. None of them are perfect, But since you won explosive play rate, let me go third down conversions. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, the the old Bill Walsh stat I forget what the official name for it is like in open play, as how it's described from Bill Connolly's stats, is the percentage of first downs that come on first and second down has a change, right, Yeah, staying ahead of the chains, especially because you know explosive play rate ties into that how often you're able to generate first downs quickly? It probably helps to be able to generate those explosive plays. But that's a big one too, because you talk about third downs, if you don't face a lot of third downs. That's also amazing.
Speaker 2: From Steven Dan. If you could build a full team with an offense from one team in a defense from another, Yeah, how would you build that team?
Speaker 1: So of twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Two's I think I think so? I think so, pull up a.
Speaker 1: List of teams.
Speaker 2: Ohio State's the offense, right, Ohio State's got to be the offense.
Speaker 1: Uh, probably at this point with how much more consistent, Like there's no shame in only scoring what they score against no more name twenty one. Yeah, I don't think there's any shame in that performance, especially without Jackson Smith and Jigba and you know, the full weaponry of receiving and Mayan Williams in week.
Speaker 2: One now is in week one, right, I mean, so much of what we saw in week one kind of goes out the window. I do think Ohio State is starting to rev up that offense and starting to get to the heights that we expected, and they're doing so even without Jackson Smith and Jigba. Right, But we'll be back at some point this season and Trey Henderson, you know, didn't play last week. So this this is an incredibly loaded offense, which is part of why I still believe they're going to win the national championship. But on the defensive side, we have options, right, Georgia, Georgia. Is George's defense as good as we expected against Oregon?
Speaker 1: Yes, against Kent State, against missoo maybe not. I can tell you. I can tell you what the points per drive, the analytics metrics that I prefer. The number one defense in America just in terms of points per drive allowed is Minnesota? Number two? Is Georgia Alabama's five, James Madison number four?
Speaker 2: Tie? Oh, do we want to go Maddie's here? Could be pennis.
Speaker 1: Ole miss nine, where Mischig looking at the double digits, Illinois is number three?
Speaker 2: Tie?
Speaker 1: Wow. Where's Michigan's defense? Michigan is number two?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But again, where the quarterbacks Michigan has played? Right, it's Spencer Petris, It's Hawaii's starting quarterback whose name is gives me at the moment. Colorado State, you got like, that's probably a top twelve defense in the country, But I don't know on that level. Yeah, if Clemson's healthy, that's a conversation. Yeah, even Ohio State is an interesting question because they've been without some corners, Like, just fully go with Ohio State, You're national champion, just got next Baz Baz. Which college's brand is most misaligned with their conference affiliation? Dan, you're a culture guy, big on culture. I remember when Colorado joined the PAC twelve and there was just conversations.
Speaker 2: Galore about how I think it's a fit. Yeah, about how the culture of Boulder would fit or not fit with the PAC twelve. And I think it's fine. Obviously they would prefer a much better college football season this year. We haven't even mentioned that Carl Durell.
Speaker 1: Have they started their season Colorado? Is that a thing we've been able to nail down?
Speaker 2: We haven't even mentioned that Carl Durell also lost his job amid the Paul christ News.
Speaker 1: But by the way, you were right there with Colorado, oh and twelve. You were right there during our Pack twelve previ you were like, I don't it brings me no pleasure in telling you this. Colorado may go winless and now it's looking are really bad. I think they're bad. I mean when you look at their predicted outcomes, the advanced stats. I think have Colorado is on twelve right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: The percentage chance so zero wins is forty eight percent, one win is thirty nine, to two is eleven. There's a two percent chance that they win three games. It's all double digit prediction losses the rest of their way.
Speaker 2: Ooh brutal. Which school is most misaligned with their conference affiliation?
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a question in response to this question? Do you think Penn State is a natural cultural fit to the Big Ten as.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: They were in a pennant before, But I just they have the history that's that seems so important, Like there's so much lore involved with so many Big Ten teams historically, and I think that's a really good fit. But I'm just speaking from my experience and just seeing the amount of New Jersey and Philly at a Penn State tailgate and then sort of matching that to what I experienced. And I know a lot of the big Big ten schools attract people from New York, from California or whatever, you know, Indiana and Wisconsin and Michigan, what have you. But it did seem different. It did seem different, And I actually think this about Rutgers in the Big Ten. I think this about Maryland and the Big Ten, and I think this is about Nebraska in the Big Ten that from the core of the conference, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue Minnesota. It is different going to a Nebraska game. It is different going to Rutgers. I've been to Piscataway, have not been to a Rutgers game. It is different going to College Park. Like Maryland is as acc to me as any ACC team. But we're having this conversation about the Big Ten. So I think the newer additions to the Big Ten don't fully strike me as obvious, you know, carryover from the other schools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, for sure, the culture of Penn State is unique in that it is an interesting hybrid between New York Philly and Pittsburgh. And you may not have that elsewhere around the conference. But Penn State's been in the Big Ten for so long that I think the culture there has grown around the Big Ten. And though it may be a bit unique as compared to some of the other schools in terms of culture and fit and student body what have you, I don't think like it feels that misaligned to me. The Maryland thing, I still screw up, kind of like I do with the Brewers being in the AL right, Like I'm just never gonna get used.
Speaker 1: To the San Diego Chargers, right, yes, no, no?
Speaker 2: Or maybe I'm thinking of the Houston Astros. I can't even get a shange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Brewers made a move, I think as well, whoever is.
Speaker 2: In the AL now, Like, I'm never going to get that straight, And I still get confused sometimes when we go through we do our previous and recaps about which conference Maryland is in, because it doesn't it doesn't feel right. It's probably more of a me thing.
Speaker 1: But doesn't it seem like they're it? Like okay, in a dream world in which we have eight team conferences. And I'm not saying Penn State deserves this or should be in this, but just in terms of like, oh, this all sort of makes sense. This is all sort of a warm sensicle blanket. When we look at the organization of the sport, the tapestry of smaller conferences. If there were a conference like a Upper ACC Big East melding of like like Penn State should be playing like Virginia Tech every year to me. I don't know why that is like a Syracuse, Penn State, Boston College Pitt like there. There is something to me that like brings all of like the like a tortilla would wrap that into a competitive burrito in a more interesting way culturally to me. Does that strike you as anything that makes sense? Or am I just nutty? I think you might be a little bit nutty, But it's okay, that's okay. I wanted to ask you about like Florida State. Okay, the ACC as opposed to the SEC, yeah, or Big East that does hasn't existed in quite something.
Speaker 2: Big East is long dead rip. Yeah, but Florida State and the SEC, uh huh feels like much better of a fit. I am.
Speaker 1: There is the weird thing where the Florida schools are in different conferences. Uh, yes and no, yes and no. Florida State doesn't have the long football history, right. Florida State football kind of started as a power with Bobby Bowden, So we're not going back a crazy way and a lot of the SEC powers can go back. It would make sense. But I don't know. With the number of teams in the Southeast or East Coast or Southeastern whatever, however, we want to qualify like they are a fit with Miami and North you know, all the Carolina in North Carolina schools. It seems when you start getting into the Northeast with Syracuse and pitt and Boston College, that's.
Speaker 2: A little bit weird.
Speaker 1: But at least with the Eastern Seaboard teams like the Virginia schools, like there's a history there, it kind of seems like there's a fit. So I'm not as crazy about moving Florida state elsewhere because of fit, but like fair enough, I'm willing to listen fair enough.
Speaker 2: So here's our final question for the Public Show. We're going to do the second half of this as part of our normal Q and A slash bruin a yes that you and I would typically do and post out on Patreon Forballers dot com every week. So if you want to hear the second half that, we've got some fun questions about Oklahoma Halloween. I mean, just like a whole the NCAA video game. Excuse me, We've got a lot of fun stuff that comes after this. But final question here on the Public Show from Andrew, if you had to pick two people who you'd have on a Manning cast like set for a big who would they be? So is the assumption that it's me and you and then two other people?
Speaker 1: No, I just I think we're TV executives.
Speaker 2: We're TV executive.
Speaker 1: We're choosing this for ESPN, and it could be anybody to not announce the game but just sort of react and have conversation during the game, vaguely about the game or specifically about the game in different moments.
Speaker 2: Okay, so other than to Greg McElroy's, which is of course the answer, of course, what are we looking for here? I think what we're looking for to make it watchable is some balance of seriousness with silliness or personality. Right. You obviously have to have people who could speak knowledgeably about the game of football, who can see what's going on and in real time break it down in a way that makes it interesting and relatable. Do you have any thoughts that come to mind as you are a TV executive?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say during the regular season, nobody. During the regular season, nobody, because I think to to say to look at what the Mannings are doing and say that it's replicable because they have the chemistry of being brothers and being literal brothers and teasing each other and going through their own experiences, as is Eli Manning going to make the Hall of Fame. Quite possibly should like Hall of Fame quarterbacks with that deep knowledge of the game, especially with recent knowledge of the game that they're only recently retired. I think that's pretty much impossible. All the good ones were already on TV networks, it seems, or on the radio or doing something within the sport. What is most attractive to me would be in a national championship game or a playoff game or major major bowl game, is to get two or three coaches doing the Coaches round whatever the roundtable show that they do, but specific ones who have played those teams, who've had success against those teams, that are like more tenured within that league. That though, So if it's a I don't know, I'm making this up obviously. If it's a Georgia, Ohio State national championship this year, okay, and we get to have Jim Harbaugh and Nick Sabe and Eli Drinkquitz or you know what I'm saying, like or James Franklin when they're like, you know, when we're preparing to play this team. One of the interesting things, was like we never saw them using the tight end like they started doing later on in the season. Right that there is interesting enough connective tissue with game planning for these teams, with being familiar with the coaches, with being longer term college football coaches, so they've kind of been there and seen it all. But you have different levels of experience, which is why I have like the Eli Drinquitz, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, where there's just one guy's been there forever, one guy's been there for a while, another guy's been there for only a couple of years. I think that's fascinating right where you start getting, you know, Dan Mullen would watch the National Championship and like, oh, they're going outside down here again. Where you get like guys being so familiar with the types of offenses that teams are running, and then in the commercial breaks talking about like, oh man, it'd be weird to see if they stop running this sort of quarters. Look that it doesn't have to be just about x's and o's, or during the commercial break they're talking about recruiting Jalen Carter, recruiting Jackson Smith and Jigba and like great kid, weird dad you know, obviously thrilled to see him having success at Ohio State. Wish he had come to wherever. That's that to me is the would be cool about having that alternate feed, having that that sort of closeness to the teams involved in a big game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like, I like whatever you can put coaches in that position. We got a little tipsy, little tips. I gotta get him a little tipsy, Yeah, get get the uh you know, get the inhibitions a little bit lower. But I've generally really liked the mega casts when they've done them. Yeah, and you know, you tend to see some more coaching personality in that setting. Gary Patterson's always been a hoot. Yeah, always, if not a little intimidating. I'll never forget the time who was on set with Major apple White. Major apple White was like taking notes. I mean some of these coaches, you know, you put them in a situation where they can really break things down and and do so kind of off the cuff, and it's really impressive to watch. So I think I'm with you, just interesting combinations of coaches from varying levels of experience, and yeah, you know, programs around the country I think would be really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I mean, I don't know if you need that Lougan Bill there to sort of organize it all. But obviously the Mannings don't need that host. I think they tried out hosts ESPN did to like work with the Mannings, and they were just like, we're good, Yeah, we're just gonna talk. We're fine. I think that's the move. It's impossible because that's just you know, it's it's hurting cats to get those types of big names, because I'm sure there's bad blood about something with a lot of these guys, which is why you see a lot of random pairings. You're like, oh, I guess, why would Derek Mason and Mike Leech hate each other or something like that. So of course they're gonna be the same like that, you'll have that. But with some of the bigger guys, it'd be great, it really would. They're weirdos in their own ways, and so maybe they're not going to be as fun loving as the Mannings, but I think there is still potential there.
Speaker 2: Head on over to verballers dot com to check out the second half of this. We've got a bunch of fun questions left. Don't forget Soliverblive dot com, where you can go if you are ever so inclined to come and see us in New York City on Festday. Dan and I are hard at work in the laboratory putting together College Football, The Game Show, and last but not least, if you like the show, hit subscribe, tell your friends to do so as well. Join us now over at Verbaalers dot com and we'll talk you tomorrow with all things Week six