Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, why does Listen and Bill have the same interior? My gosh, are you all the same person our guest today, Ladies and gentlemen, Oh actually wait, let me let you know where you are. My name is Quest Love and this is another episode of Quest Love Supreme. We're here with Teams Supreme, Sugar Steve, Hello there, Yo, how are you great?
Speaker 1: Fan? Takeo? What up? What up? And we have Laiah.
Speaker 3: Still here, yes, yes, and we.
Speaker 2: Have unpaid Bill new Bill, Bill's Bill's Bill's yeah, Bill two point h. I'll say that our guests absolutely well. I always say that our guest needs no introduction, but I guess our guest does introduction because he's literally done everything except for bounce.
Speaker 1: The budget, save us from COVID. He's worn a.
Speaker 2: Pulitzer, a MacArthur Genius Grant, a Kennedy Center Honor. I thought you had to be like at least three hundred years old to get a Kennedy Center Honor. I didn't realize that one could be nineteen and win a Kennedy Center honor.
Speaker 4: He's won a lot, said, he's.
Speaker 2: Won a lot of Grammys. He has an Emmy, and he might have a tony or two. I don't know, be it forty thousand dollars on stub Hub or on Disney Plus. You literally have zero excuse if you're not seeing our guests. His creation one of the biggest global phenomenons in entertainment, probably short of thriller. See, this is what happens when I don't That's what happens when I don't have three by five cards.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Literally, Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the quest lof Supreme, the creator of in the Heights of Hamilton. Let's not forget Fossey, Vernon, actor, playwright, mc producer.
Speaker 1: What else are you? You're director, your father, your.
Speaker 5: Son, first time caller, thrilled to be.
Speaker 2: Here, Washington Heights, own Lin Manuel Miranda.
Speaker 1: All right, so check it all right?
Speaker 2: You know, like, if I really know guests, I won't prep notes. I'll just go off the top. However, I'm googling you and the questions, the questions surrounding your name. This is this is hilarious to me because under your name comes these following questions. Did Burgh regret killing Hamilton? Why do people like Hamilton so much? Why is Hamilton so expensive? How old she wouldn't be to go see Hamilton? What's the most famous Broadway show? What is Will Smith's net worth? I don't know where that came from.
Speaker 1: But that came out of no where.
Speaker 5: I asked that every day.
Speaker 1: Who's limit?
Speaker 2: Wels Miranda's best friend? Who is the highest note in into the unknown? And who is a mortal technique? So basically you have you have Oh wow.
Speaker 5: That runs again?
Speaker 4: It pretty good?
Speaker 2: Yeah you're yeah, you literally run the whole spectrum of hip hop and and uh in history and one in ten questions, one fell swoop. I wish it was that for for me, this this has taken a long time. Do you do you remember your the pilot episode Bill, Yes, that you came to and you just casually flick you know, we get them, no problem, And it's like four and a half years later.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's got a busier schedule than me. It's you and getting those to line up is like the death star window of just like, okay, these forty five minutes, here we go.
Speaker 1: Dude, I know, I trust me. I know I do not take for granted.
Speaker 4: I remember asking you had a.
Speaker 1: Spare hour to even talk to us.
Speaker 5: I wait, a minute. But it's funny.
Speaker 4: I remember you had agreed to dj I think our opening night party, and I saw you a few days before and I said, hey, thanks again for doing that, and you were.
Speaker 5: Like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's up right, and I said, you're djaying the opening night party and he went forget me show you something about my life, and you showed me your schedule and you like literally opened your phone and it was more colors than the rainbow in terms of like hour to hour what you were doing. And Hamilton hadn't really happened yet. Hamilton hadn't opened yet, and I was like, how can one person, be one human do this much? And it was like a glimpse of it was a glimpse of my future. I was like, no, you're going to be busy.
Speaker 2: That you show for Grace Harry who insists if we have a future, you're going to drop ten jobs.
Speaker 3: So thank you, Grace.
Speaker 1: The low down.
Speaker 2: Wait, speaking of which, uh Lynn and Bill, do you know do you truly know that my involvement with this was an accident To show you how aloof I am about my schedule.
Speaker 1: You're involved with what Camill tell?
Speaker 2: Do you know how aloof and how like mister McGoo accidental tourist.
Speaker 1: It was all right, let me let me walk you through it real quick.
Speaker 4: You you meant to go see a show at Joe's Pub and you wandered into our show. Is that what you're telling me?
Speaker 1: Basically? Yes, No, I'm serious. John.
Speaker 2: When John Ridley had won for twelve Years of Slave, you know John Ridley and uh have wrote twelve Years of Slave and what's his name famously directed it.
Speaker 1: Stephen Queen quin Queen.
Speaker 2: Right, So when Ridley had written Twelve Years of Slave, in about maybe six months after he won his oscar, he had a meeting with us about working on a project. So in trumeir fashion, arriving and Steve can attest to this, I came like to the meeting six minutes late, okay, really sixteen minutes late. And what I didn't realize was that he was giving us homework to do. And part of that homework was look research these plays that I think that are cutting edge and you know, like going to change the shift. And he had five plays that he wanted us to see and homework number one was seeing an unknown Hamilton at the public So me not me, not putting two two together. I didn't realize because when you started talking to me backstage, you had already gone into pitch mode about joining being down, and in my head, I'm like, yeah, I talked to John earlier.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, I'm down.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that at that point, I talked myself into a second production and it became a who's on first situation for about two weeks with the Roots organization, until Sean and Tarik were like, Noahmir, what we're doing with John Ridley is something different. Hamilton's a whole nother animal.
Speaker 4: I've never met John Riddle in my life.
Speaker 2: Now I know so, but literally the whole time backstage, I was just like saying yes to everything and not just literally having zero clue that you guys weren't associated with Ridley. I thought Ridley was just ending us there as a part of this project he was with and it wasn't until later to.
Speaker 4: Finalize I obviously knew nothing about that since I've never met that man.
Speaker 5: Sorry to this man, but sorry man to this man.
Speaker 1: The but I.
Speaker 4: For me, you coming to the show was like waiting for Guffman. It was like, I love is finally coming to the show Man. You were so been manifesting the roots coming to our show while I was writing the show.
Speaker 1: One was about the roots.
Speaker 6: The one was both Steph like most De's gonna be here, like it is most de gonna be in the show.
Speaker 1: That was always like the biggest thing, That's what I'm saying. The way you were talking was.
Speaker 2: So like like coument, No, it was. It was just so exciting and in my head, I'm like, you guys had me at a little like I already knew, you know, like you people already talked to me at nine a m. Yesterday morning like I'm I'm a board, Like I didn't realize.
Speaker 4: That's also why it's like Guffman, because you know in the movie that guy's not Guffman who shows up and they're like because we're like Quest loves in, but he thinks he has said yes to a totally different thing that I know nothing about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I just musical theater, lib I Quest loves yes to everything. What do you.
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What are you what's your what's your daily routine? Are you still able to stay creative despite what we're in or are you also having just stop moment?
Speaker 4: And I had a I had like a solid month and a half two months where I didn't I didn't do any I didn't do anything.
Speaker 5: I was about to start directing my first movie.
Speaker 4: We'd shot eight days of footage when Netflix, I'm directing his musical for Netflix.
Speaker 5: And they shut us down, which was.
Speaker 4: Both a bummer and a huge relief because we were already social distancing on set. We were already asking ourselves hard questions of like how do you do a musical where you singing to each other and not spin on each other? And so when Netflix said we're shoving me on everything, it was like, good, someone higher up than me has has answered it for us. But you know, the momentum that goes into making a movie, it's your whole life. You spend every waking hour and like it's go time. And then that just stopped.
Speaker 1: So when did they shut out down? How far are well around? What time was this This was? It's like the day March ninth or.
Speaker 4: March March eighth, and I we were doing a night shoot, so they shut us down at They told us this is going to be your last night filming at nine pm and we still had like three shots left to go.
Speaker 5: So for a while, it was just me and the producers.
Speaker 4: And like our happy crew and actors with jobs and like at that moment, like you know where you can't tell anyone yet, and we you know, we waited till the end of the night to tell everyone. Luckily it was before weekend, so everyone was going home for the weekend anyway. And then, you know, a lot of it was just the new what's the new normal? Like what's the procedure to leave the house? What is school? We'd already stopped sending my kid to school, just on our own gut shit like of just like.
Speaker 7: Like the same thing too, I stopped sending to my kid. I think like a couple of days before they finally called it.
Speaker 1: It was like even a little like a week or something before they find it.
Speaker 4: It was it was a week for me too, And so you know it that first month was just what do we do?
Speaker 5: I'm so grateful my wife was so ahead of it.
Speaker 4: My wife was a scientist, so like in January, she was like, this is coming here and we have to take it seriously.
Speaker 5: And it was like, wow, I'm in pre production on a movie.
Speaker 4: Like I agree with you, but I also can't stop doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 5: It's not my money.
Speaker 1: In your mind?
Speaker 2: Did you think that this is just going to be like maybe a six week thing, maybe a two month thing.
Speaker 8: I I.
Speaker 4: When my wife explained the science of it to me, of like, this two week break is bullshit because it's it doesn't even show up in people, and that's why it's spreading so fast, like healthy people spread this and then find out they're sick after they've already exposed however many people they've been in contact with, and so like she was like, this is not gonna be two weeks.
Speaker 5: She just saw she saw the whole thing early.
Speaker 6: His wife, for those who don't know, is the most beautiful person ever to attend m I T oh, okay, so.
Speaker 3: What was that me? That's as.
Speaker 2: You just made it weird by saying that, like you no, no, no, no, I mean was she in the college squad?
Speaker 1: Was she in the no? Because we didn't go to T.
Speaker 9: But now I can't imagine myself that is a YouTube series that we need I.
Speaker 5: T Animatics immediately. Please Yeah, but.
Speaker 8: Lin, does she get some insight to as well as because now that we're in it, and that was her insight before I'm sure she got some things to tell you now as you are approaching production thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I mean she you know, we are. We started filming again in a week, and it's it is, we're doing everything we can to be safe. And we've learned from the movies that have already gone into production.
Speaker 3: The stop production.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the actors are in their own bubble and in their own quarantine. There's the red zone and the yellow zone and the green zone. I basically see my kids on the weekend. They get tested before they can see me again. Like I can't even break that for just hanging out with my kid. Like we're taking it as seriously as possible because it is it's life and death.
Speaker 5: We you know, as we all know and so so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but my wife saw it early and so by the time I kind of they shut down production on the movie and I looked up, Vanessa was like, well, here's everything that's going on, Like she had already kind of figured out how to get in and out of the house, like all of the stuff that is normal to us now and we were still learning. She was on top of that. So I'm grateful to her for that. So anyway, a month and a half of nothing, and then I basically pivoted to the writing projects that I wasn't going to be touching for a year because I was working on this movie. I'm writing two scores for two different animated movies, one for Disney and one for Sony Animation, and so I basically just that's been keeping me busy during the pandemic. It's just like all right, like go back to writing, back to your keyboard.
Speaker 2: Wait, it just hit me. I really want to start from the very beginning, in the beginning. I want to start with Lynn can he tells three things about unpaid.
Speaker 1: That we don't know? Yes, it is really the.
Speaker 2: Unpaid Bill episode. We're just using limit limits.
Speaker 4: I knew that's how I end up here, and I'm happy to be of service. All My entire career, and Bill's entire career is as the result of an accident, UH and and an infidelity.
Speaker 5: Do we want to tell that story?
Speaker 1: Name names?
Speaker 4: We won't.
Speaker 6: We want to bode not mine. It's your episode, Bill, we hold mine. And it was tragically great. So so.
Speaker 4: My college girlfriend produced a musical at the school Theater at Wesleyan and she produced Once on This Island and it had a music director and Bill was the sax player in the pit. However, the music director was dating the director of the show and he cheated on her. She walked in on him cheating, and I mean, this is college theater, guys, and she was like, you're fired guy playing saxophone. You're the music director now. And so Bill Shea's the music director of this and then like proceeded to kill it. Like I remember going to see the show being like, why does this college show sound so good? And was just like amazed at how professional and great the band sounded and so and they were like, that's Bill Sherman. He became the band conductor after he fired fucking around.
Speaker 6: And so I then re hired to play the bass because we didn't have a bass player there was, so in fact re hired and he was in the band.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So wait, awkward, Bill, you paid a saxophone. So yeah, you guys replays the didn't know this. We did not know this.
Speaker 4: Bill was player. And Bill had an African high life band in college called on.
Speaker 1: An African highlight band. So you white fail, o, Bill, you have selective remembering.
Speaker 6: So like I majored in West African music, do you know that deep into it bruh.
Speaker 1: So I played the saxophone and I was I was really big into fail out.
Speaker 2: But something like you know, like you just took a trip to Africa like a vacation.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys.
Speaker 5: Are talking to philastin.
Speaker 1: New Name. Oh my god, oh man.
Speaker 4: If I had known we were going to go this deep, I would have brought cuts.
Speaker 3: I really would like to hear some of your West African music.
Speaker 6: Bill Professor was a dope band. It was like fifteen white guys played.
Speaker 3: We couldn't find no black people.
Speaker 1: No. See, here's the thing, if you really want to get into it. So wesley we would have played West African music fair. It's fair.
Speaker 4: But also Wesleyan world music is I mean the guys with dreadlocks.
Speaker 1: Okay, a lot of weed, my boy.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: But what was interesting about Wesleyan is that it was billed as uh like diversity university as it were, but uh, it was so segregated that it was affable. So like Lynn lived in Latin guy house, which is called and then and then all of the black folks lived in Malcolm X's house. Like I'm not even I'm not even making.
Speaker 5: This up the street We saw that all the time.
Speaker 1: We wait and house party, uh boy from Young Black.
Speaker 4: The movie PCU was based on wesley and the writers of that movie went to west like every nationality and affinity group had its house.
Speaker 6: I was part of the White Boys Stoner World music group. Yeah yeah, and Lynn was like the Latin guy.
Speaker 1: Guess what he continues to this.
Speaker 2: Is this is this the Santi gold Angela Yee era of Wesleyan. But or afterwards, I think between better than MGMT was year you.
Speaker 1: Guys, where's your class were?
Speaker 5: Class of two thousand and two? MGMT was like the year after us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, they were like maybe three years before you guys. Okay, yeah, yes, before ahead of us Miranda era.
Speaker 6: If you didn't know that what is now we were part of what is now referred to as the line Manuel Miranda era. Actually, like that's if you ask anybody that's those years, what's funny.
Speaker 4: Is I mean one of the lessons of that I got out of Wesleyan was when I did the first version of In the Heights at wesley and it was an eighty minute show and to get latinos in a show, I had to go beyond the like six white theater majors that were theater majors. So I had Ralphie from Ebony Singers in the cast, and I had the result of like me casting the net across campus instead of just people who auditioned for musicals, was that we were a huge hit show because everyone had a friend in the show. Because that's how you get people to your show when you're in college.
Speaker 3: How did you appeal to him Land? How did you even? Oh?
Speaker 4: I fly, I fly it everywhere and I was in the gospel choir and I fly in the gospel. I just like went beyond like the theater board call sheet.
Speaker 6: Lynn posed for art classes as the naked guy he knows, come.
Speaker 5: On, we're going.
Speaker 1: Yes, the highest thing at the time girlfriend started.
Speaker 6: Lynn's girlfriend started in the Heights and she was Filipino and she remains Filipino to this day. But she was like she was the Filipino girl who played like the Latin girl from fucking Washington Heights, which was hilarious but great casting.
Speaker 4: I didn't succeed in finding latinos. I cast the net as winded as as I could.
Speaker 5: And at Wesleyan Filipino is close enough.
Speaker 1: Both is this on tape? Right down. The version of this on tape.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'll never see it. You'll never see it.
Speaker 1: There's a record.
Speaker 4: Toot I put the opening I actually did put the opening number on YouTube.
Speaker 5: You can see the opening number. You can see a little Filipina Aleen.
Speaker 6: But just for the record was part of it at that moment. So don't wait a minute.
Speaker 4: You went so fast, Bill, you sped past. First of all, posing for drawing one class was the highest paying job on campus.
Speaker 3: How much does that learn?
Speaker 4: Fourteen dollars an hour that's paid.
Speaker 1: You never told me that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was like, it's not photography, it's just people's bad drawings of me naked.
Speaker 5: I can live with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, until for like all kinds of cash, you can.
Speaker 4: The way it worked, you start with quick poses, right the first time in this class, it's like ah one minute, ah yeah, one minute, and then you have the long poses where it's ten minutes where they're going to kind of bring out the colors and the chark holes and those you have to choose very carefully because if you try to be cute, like you're holding that shit for you hold. Yeah, so a lot of there's a lot of drawings to be lying down that have surfaced since my fame. People were like, well, you've been making a picture of you and it's just a drawing. Gonna be lying down because I didn't want to hold standing up for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: That's at least ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh naked Lee Manuel, that's the new room brand right there.
Speaker 4: It was one guys, they can't be that good.
Speaker 5: It was intro to drawing.
Speaker 1: Wow, boy, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: So anyway, so Bill killed being music director, and then I was like, you're working with me, You're coming with me on my shows. I write my own ship. And he sort of had no choice. It's sort of like how he wound up on your show.
Speaker 5: He was just like, oh good.
Speaker 6: And then there was Lin's been doing the same impression impression of me for like almost twenty years.
Speaker 4: Here's here's here's my line on Bill, because he says it at every juncture in our career is from college onward. I didn't think it was gonna be a big deal. It was a big deal.
Speaker 6: He makes me an idiot, my boss, Now that's you.
Speaker 3: Why do you always have to tell everybody what I do? My whole resume every show?
Speaker 1: I just want to know why. Yeah, fuck because.
Speaker 3: You're fucking amazing whatever.
Speaker 8: Okay, anyway, so they you guys, did they know how great you guys were At the time, it was the whole theater department like, oh, this is going to be our this is going to be a hit, and people are going to always come back to Lesley Bill.
Speaker 2: There has to be that professor that was like scoffing at this, and now you you came back like giving a master class ten years later, like.
Speaker 1: There has to be The.
Speaker 4: Issue actually was that In the Heights was I kind of peaked sophomore year because he was really good. It was a huge hit. We sold cast albums of a college show mainly because I couldn't get any This is so dated, but like the weekend I had the theater was the weekend of the Wesleyan Millennium Concert, So all the good musicians were playing the Wesleyan Millennium Concert. So I couldn't get any the musicians I wanted to play the weekend you played the Millennium Concert. I took my sound budget and I created karaoke tracks. So even in the first performance of In the Heights they're singing to playback that I did at like a studio in Middletown, and so and then I paid the money back by selling albums and.
Speaker 2: So we were copy of the original, never oone saying yes.
Speaker 1: No anyway my so uh wow, you haven't Organics under your belt. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Organics Records the first roots album. That's not a roots album, but it's a roots album.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: Who played our senior concert at Wesleyan anyone?
Speaker 1: The roots? Y'all playing saved ten feet before we even knew each other, many many years ago, even there while you guys were there yep, with Ben on the base Wow, during phrenology period, look at God only.
Speaker 2: The only reason why I remember the santi era was only because the infamous by Mob Deep came out.
Speaker 1: The day that we had to play their.
Speaker 2: Their spring Fleeing and in ninety five, and we were So that's the only time I remember.
Speaker 1: That. And the and the sopran knows uh.
Speaker 2: Uh the Sopranos ending season series ending? Do I remember abbreviating the show the Roots show so we could rush off stage to do something else.
Speaker 8: What's funny is the Roots played at all our college shows. Like I'm sure he's a fante.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I was at my I saw him at un CG.
Speaker 7: They never came to They never came to Central Butt un CG.
Speaker 1: And they came to Duke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys have biz Marquis as the DJ beforehand.
Speaker 3: Perfect college.
Speaker 1: It was awesome.
Speaker 6: It all the white kids were friends six times, six times without even giving a ship without like there was no nothing.
Speaker 1: He was just like, fuck it, So were you doing any were you putting together? Now?
Speaker 2: I know there's a difference between participating in productions and putting it together. What what gave you the the spark or the coumpsion or the nerve to even say I have to put this together myself? Like why does one to do that at a college? Like I want to put something together.
Speaker 5: It's funny because I went.
Speaker 4: I chose Wesleyan because it's one of the few places that lets you double major in theater and film, and I really loved film and I really love theater. And then like like I just got really practical once I got there. If you're a film major, this was pre digital, so you're paying for film. To make your senior film, you have to pay for it yourself, and the best you can do is get your short into a festival or maybe get an agent. If the head of the department likes you more than the other kids and like kind of pushes you. If you make theater, it's three hundred bucks for a show and the school pays for it. So I just remember thinking, like, I'm going to make as much theater as I can in these four years. Because I knew my parents were killing themselves to pay for school. My dad like literally quit his non for profit job and went to like a higher pay because I was going to college.
Speaker 5: Like I was very aware of that burden.
Speaker 1: What was like to do what My.
Speaker 4: Mom's psychologist and my dad was the head of a nonprofit called Hispanic Federation that's sort of this umbrella organization for Latino organizations, and he went into political consulting the year I went to school because he was like, I have.
Speaker 1: To go to make this breed money.
Speaker 4: And so, I mean, it's not an accident that one of the major plot lines of In the Heights is like parents killing themselves to pay for Nina's school and her kind of accepting that sacrifice and instead of being like I don't want this life, it's it's like, you know, I'm going to make the most of it. I'm going to make the most of what you guys have done that I could be here. And so I just was like, if I leave Wesley with just a degree in theater studies, like, I don't know what that's going to be. So I just like tried to treat it like a four year workshop. Like I wrote a musical every year and I would put it up and I acted in other people's stuff too, And I you know, the cool thing about theater majoring is that you you learn you hang lights for other people shows. I did set design for other people's shows. I did sound as like, you learn all these other different skills, which helps you in the world because you kind of know what everyone else does in their respective departments.
Speaker 1: Hustle you.
Speaker 6: Because I will say this as stoner hippie music guy, I got laid X amount of times as music director in Lynn shows. I got laid x times a thousand more times than being stoner hippie drum circle guy.
Speaker 2: That's what was the time for me to have the damn sound effects of machines.
Speaker 1: I wish a mere hit it know that you can't do it on stud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait, I do want to know I mean, you know, no one, no one can plan lightning in a battle, or plan a phenomenon or any of those things. But I have to say that if anyone has been privy to many a meeting or a summit meeting for these pitches in which they promise you the world, I've been that guy, meaning since nineteen ninety nine, since two thousand, I've heard many a pitch about. You know, there was a point where they were going to try to bring Wild Style the Broadway.
Speaker 1: And they described how we're going to change the world.
Speaker 2: And I was part of the meeting when they first started at you know the famous Tupaca too. Yeah yeah, play that that you know got deaded in three weeks. Everything there was even a play based on I probably the furthest. I got involved with hip hop and Broadway. If you remember the the Nike commercials where they were like bouncing the ball and rhythm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: I wanted they signed ll up. They wanted to do something about like street ball, like on the Rucker.
Speaker 1: That sort of thing. We got.
Speaker 2: I'll say that we got about three months into it, three months into workshops. Here here's the music lineup, Bootsy Collins, Nonah Hendricks Quest Love, Bootsy Collins, Nona Hendricks Questlove, and I think Mums so that you know, they they were like, He's just gonna be poetry and basketball and Llo cool Jay and and you know the thing is is that Broadways so addicted to this, like to this ten pan alley jazz fingers like this, this this Gershwind thing.
Speaker 1: They can't let go. And it's like you, I mean, out out of And there's there's four or five other.
Speaker 2: Plays that I've seen or been involved with, pitches in which they go over the top and describing it. I mean, in your mind, are you thinking, Okay, I'm finally gonna rid Broadway of its of its disease of being stuck in the nineteen thirties and just updated, Like, are you thinking this at all when you're when you're putting these productions together? Is it just like, Hey, it's Thursday, and I have a clever idea I want to get down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a combo of both.
Speaker 4: And it's actually it brings us back to tiktick Boom because I think that I have parents who grew up with I grew up with cast albums. My parents were like that generation who just collected didn't even see the shows, but collected.
Speaker 5: The cast albums, and so I grew up with those and loving those.
Speaker 4: But again, I think like for a lot of people, it just felt like something old white people did and old white people saw.
Speaker 5: And I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem.
Speaker 1: Like a place in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like a walled garden. And then I saw Rent, and that really changed it for me because one, it took place in the present, and that sounds so normal, but I hadn't seen any musicals. It took place in the present by the time I'm a teenager. Even a chorus line is a period piece.
Speaker 1: And okay, I hate to be that guy. What year did you see Rent?
Speaker 4: I saw first year on my seventies. You saw it in ninety six the last row of the Neederlander Theater.
Speaker 1: Mezzani me too, So you saw it in ninety six.
Speaker 5: I saw it in ninety seven because I saw it for my seventeenth birthday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I didn't know if it was ninety six ninety seven. And for you that was life changing, because the thing was when I saw Rent in two thousand and four, two thousand and.
Speaker 1: Five, Yeah, I was kind of like it's a different thing. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe no, you're you're right, because I remember seeing Rant in two thousand and four, two thousand and five, and it was it felt like a copy of a copy of a copy by then, Like I remember seeing it. We had a friend who was a swing in it, and so I got to go around the era you saw it. I remember seeing one of the actresses like straight up falling asleep during lave v Bom and it's like that show doesn't work if like everybody doesn't believe in it in every iota of their being. And you saw like that twentieth cast, and but I remember.
Speaker 2: That really shows the power of you, because Hamilton is able to resonate powerfully with or without the nucleus cast.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but I.
Speaker 4: Also think we also as a production team are so much more involved than other production teams at this stage in the musical's life, Like still weekly zooms with our cast member like we're Tommy checks in, our director checks in like more than anybody.
Speaker 5: But but for me, Rent in ninety seven.
Speaker 4: Was a contemporary show and it's not like, oh my gosh, that sounds like it could be on the radio. It still sounded very rock on Broadway, but to me it ended the conversation about rock on Broadway. It was sort of like Jonathan Larson was like, rock music and pop music and Broadway should reflect each other. They just should be friends. That's why we liked to gershawin he on the radio, and then you would go see the song you heard on the radio in the shows that night. And there's no reason popular music and theater music shouldn't be in conversation with each other all the time. And that was I mean, if anything, that's the thesis of Rent and the Score, and so I just extrapolated that to hip hop. I was just like, I don't understand why every time I see hip hop reference in a Broadway musical, it's like in quotes, it's like, isn't it crazy that characters are rapping? I was like, hip hop is thirty years old, it's so way past a joke at this point. That and it's some of the best storytelling in music. So why aren't you all in conversation with each other? So even in the musicals I wrote in high school, I was always putting hip hop in them. In the Heights had a ton of hip hop in it. It was just I just felt like it was a more exciting way to tell a story through music than what I was seeing.
Speaker 7: I think with hip hop too, but with Ryman, like you can get more content in Like you know what I'm saying. If you give a singer sixteen bars and you give a rapper sixteen bars, I'm saying, I'm gonna say a whole lot more, you know what I'm saying, because it's just more content.
Speaker 8: There's something to say too about the audience that hip hop attracts and what that would bring to Broadway in the theater and what they were afraid of, right, yeah, No.
Speaker 4: I mean it's so funny when I see when I would see Dave do the first round of interviews on Hamilton and like people be like, you're rappid so fast, and He's like, oh no, I'm not being fast for Broadway, right right right. The laugh I think is it's slower than anything tech nine's ever said in his life.
Speaker 1: Right, technolog the same thing, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly, all tho the Worldlife Shoppers. But like you know, it is in a way Hamilton's so passed to do. But the reason Hamilton works is because it is the story of a writer, and I don't think people think of hip hop artists as writers. And that was that was the only that was the insight I brought to it, was like, this is a guy who wrote himself into every situation. And that's what our favorite mcs do. They write about their reality so well that they transcend them that when you go across the world with your African High Life band Bill, you will meet people on the other side of the world who can wrap every lyric of Ready to Die or the eight Mile soundtrack or things Fall Apart, like it transcends because of its specificity. And that's you know, when I was reading that book, that's to me what Hamilton did. And so I was like, this is a hip hop is the only way to do this story?
Speaker 1: And how long did you spend writing Hamilton? How long the process was.
Speaker 4: That I started in two thousand and eight and we opened on Broadway in twenty fifteen. Shit, yeah, it was like because it was also like I kind of felt like a snake staring down an elephant, like for me to digest this history and then be able to like spit it back out in a way that it like told the story, you know, because I had to just do a ton of research full stop, and then you know, attack every moment and decide. You know, it's just a million decisions. And I had to read a lot of boring papers by people who are smarter than me, right, and have it make sense to me in a way that then I could write it and embody it and tell those stories and make it.
Speaker 1: Make it make sense to the audience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it makes it makes sense to myself.
Speaker 4: The other thing in the Secret Sauce is like a lot of the energy in Hamilton is like, can you believe this should happen? Can you believe this should happened? Because I'm experiencing that as I'm reading this story, like and then he's vice president and then he shoots it like it's fucking crazy.
Speaker 5: And it's a soap opera. But yeah, it took a long time for me to digest it.
Speaker 2: I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that when you go on vacation, you take like right now, Obama is about to turn in a two volume book, and volume one, I believe, is seven hundred and ninety pages, so already a book the size of Hamilton that you read when you went on vacation. You finished that book on vacation. You couldn't, don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know that I finished it on vacation. But this was pre kindled. This is before you could put fifty books.
Speaker 1: In your backund Yeah, no, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You don't want to pack twenty books. I'm just gonna pack one big book and that'll be my vacation book.
Speaker 1: It was just like, who takes a seven hundred page book on vacation?
Speaker 5: I just knew the guy died in a duel at the end.
Speaker 4: That was it made that to what made it interesting?
Speaker 5: And like I learned that in school and I was just like.
Speaker 4: This would be interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that was my quine.
Speaker 7: That was my next question. I was like, why Hamilton and not Lincoln or Jefferson or whoever?
Speaker 1: Right? Like why or Icebergs? What made you speak?
Speaker 4: I think, honestly, it's because there was so much I didn't know by the time I started writ Like what got the book off the shelf and into my hands was I knew this guy got shot by the vice president, like and I think around the time Dick Cheney had just shot a dude like an accidental hunting money in the face and his face the face, and so that was enough to just like pique my curiosity because that's really all I knew other than he was on the ten. And then when I opened the book and realized he was born and grew up in the Caribbean, that was interesting to me.
Speaker 5: I didn't know any of the white dudes on money were.
Speaker 4: Not born here. And then when he got the scholarship, this hurricane destroys the island, he writes about it, and they collect money for a scholarship to send him to not the States. It wasn't the States yet the fucking mainland.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: That's when I was like, well, this guy, that's what my dad did. Like my dad grew up in Puerto Rico and got a scholarship to come to New York at the same age. Because my dad is way smarter than me, he had graduated college by the time he was eighteen.
Speaker 5: He skipped all the grades.
Speaker 4: He was like Puerto Rican doogie. And so it that temperament of like how he was like I gotta get the fuck out of here. I gotta make a life for myself, Like that was a very It reminded me of my dad. And it also felt fundamentally like a hip hop story, like I'm gonna get the fuck out of where I am and get to a better place in life. And that's the stuff of good musicals. You want the character who has a really strong want. You want you know, fucking Tony singing, Something's coming. You want.
Speaker 5: Alpha Ba singing, I'm gonna meet the fucking Wizard.
Speaker 4: You know, that's the stuff of good musicals because they've just got this engine in them.
Speaker 3: So can I ask you a question?
Speaker 8: I'm curious in between like the heights, how does as a working artist? Because you said how long it took for you to get to Hamilton? Like, what are you doing in the in between years?
Speaker 4: It was Sesame Street Songs for Bill.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, hold on, we haven't completed this full start. So we creduated from college. All right, So graduated from college. We don't even get the freestyle of supreme Wait, hold.
Speaker 1: On, we're getting in there. That's there, you go. So then so we graduated college, and then so we both moved home for like six months.
Speaker 5: I never moved home.
Speaker 4: I went to apartment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he we we if I moved home, stay apartment.
Speaker 6: So Lynn rents this apartment with two other people. It's five thousand Broadway and so two on a twelve street, which is like twenty blocks now, like ten blocks from Lynn's parents.
Speaker 1: Who live on b Boo boo boo boop treat.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, get that address too. I forgot you're like an important person. Stop looking at me like that.
Speaker 1: So so so.
Speaker 6: Uh okay, So I move into this apartment. So if it rains outside, it rains inside. We made we make pizza bagels, like solely because we.
Speaker 1: Don't have any money.
Speaker 5: We skate.
Speaker 1: Beans get we skateboard in the house. There's like a mattress like if you fall on the skateboard, you take a nap on the mattress.
Speaker 6: Like it's gross. It's gross, and you bring people there and they're like, this is fucking gross. Anyway, we lived there for like four years, and.
Speaker 5: I was just a substitute tea shirt right, and I worked.
Speaker 6: At MTV because my dad got me a job working in the IT department at MTV. So I was like answering emails sent into MTV. This is all true. And during during my lunch breaks, Lynn and I would meet at the drama bookshop, which was then on fortieth Street between Something and Something, and we would go down in this basement and we would work on in the heights. So he would bring a song, we would do a thing. Blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: We're talking and I'm more like that crew.
Speaker 6: Right, And this went on for years and then and then finally, after you know, charming enough people and doing enough work, we went up off Broadway on thirty seven Arts on thirty seventh Street and that was like an amazing, humongous moment. Meanwhile, we're both He's still subbing. I'm still working this totally dead end job. At one point, I think I was like being paid to transcribe things for people like us request live Yeahdale to.
Speaker 1: The translator for Carson Davis. I mean, yeah, car uh what we other? We had other weird jobs. Lynn what else?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Lynn wrote music for his dad's like camp ads.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just like I mean, that's the easiest gig of just like sad Chord. This politician wants to kick puppy.
Speaker 8: That's crazy because as your career is blowing up, so is your dad's. Like he's going in a whole different Okay, So go ahead, Bill.
Speaker 6: So every Sunday we would go to lynn parents house and watch the Soprano It was live, like we would get off the.
Speaker 5: Stage and they had cable and we didn't, right, and.
Speaker 1: We had no food.
Speaker 6: So it's like the only real real we ate was every Sunday at Lynd's parents house with like Lynn's grandmother, his cousin like his parents.
Speaker 1: It was awesome and we went every Sunday, and we want to watch the Sopranos every week. Yeah.
Speaker 6: In fact, we saw the Last School okay uh, and then in the Heights went went up off Broadway two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: We were like, holy shit.
Speaker 4: My first acting job, my first TV job was on the last season of The Sopranos. I got on.
Speaker 1: I was a bell hop, Oh, bell hop, mister Herman, paging mister Herman.
Speaker 5: Literally my line is I don't know, I don't know, and I'm so great.
Speaker 4: You can see me.
Speaker 5: Look down from my mark where to stop in the episode you're seeing me.
Speaker 2: Go, wait, do you know the name of the episode. I'm sorry, My Apple TV is right in front of me right now.
Speaker 8: Miss It's called remember when I mere you missed the re enacted damn.
Speaker 4: Then was about to do yes, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: And then uh goes fucking guy.
Speaker 3: But you got to share screen time with the great Gandolphine.
Speaker 1: Paully was in that scene too, right, Paul.
Speaker 3: Was the scene?
Speaker 8: Okay, that was okay, PAULI is pussy, No pussy is different. Okay, I gotta go back.
Speaker 2: Damn, you're in the last Wow, that's amazing when you went to Vegas.
Speaker 5: Right, stopped talking. I'm sorry watching the Sopranos.
Speaker 1: This is what happens on Quest of Supreme. I'm still listening. Go ahead.
Speaker 6: So during this time getting towards off Broadway, Uh, I moved out of that house and moved in with my girlfriend, who then became my wife.
Speaker 1: Don't go and and then and then wait where are they coming from? The right on time? You're welcome.
Speaker 6: Were we were rehearsing that before we did this, And then what happened Lynn Lynn started dating his now wife. We had children anyway, and so then in the Heights happens and we have careers, poof careers.
Speaker 1: How long was that in the Heights? How long was writing at that process?
Speaker 4: It was from I mean basically from the moment I met Tommy Cale, when I graduated in two thousand and two to opening night, like January of two thousand and eight, it was.
Speaker 5: My twenty like basically in the Heights was my twenties thirty.
Speaker 4: So like lots of other gigs and and sort of amazing things in between, but those are the broad strokes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So with theater, I'm curious to know how long do you have I guess to edit something before it goes up?
Speaker 1: You know how if you've it happens long.
Speaker 4: You know, in terms of every show is different. For for Heights, we gave ourselves a solid four weeks so that we can make changes because the audience is the last collaborator and and they'll they'll tell you what's working, what's not, and what needs finessing.
Speaker 5: And it may not even be the writing of it.
Speaker 4: It may be that that number is not ending with the right light, or this dance sequence isn't landing the way we want it to land. So pre that's what previews is for, is to get the audience in and yeah, and and I mean Hamilton was interesting because we did the first performance at the Public and it ran at three hours and ten minutes. Yeah, about three hours and ten minutes and it was sort of like, well, shit, I like lame Is, but I don't want to be longer than Lamys. And so first and Tommy was so, you know, Tommy is is smart full stop, but he's also politically really smart, because sometimes people get salty when their stuff is cut, like you can do cuts the wrong way, in a way that the cast doesn't feel in on it. And he said, the first thing we need to do is cut any song addressing any character that is not on stage. And I had a hot sixteen bars about John Adams, who was never played by anyone. It was like an off stage address. And that was the first thing we cut. And it was great because it also sent a message to the rest of the cast, like we just cut the composer's best sixteen.
Speaker 1: So this is not as it's not a.
Speaker 5: Value, it's a what's best for the show.
Speaker 4: It's not about whether you're doing it well or not, like this is about honing the material. So we cut all my Ship first and brought like brought down ten minutes and then and then you know, we got it down to about we got it down to like two fifty at the public and then we use the jump to Broadway to cut another fifteen.
Speaker 1: Minutes, so before it goes to Broadway.
Speaker 7: You have the previews that are foreign audience, where that's almost kind of like, I don't say a focus group, but that's what you like said, it's.
Speaker 4: A nightly focused group, and it's and again it's also it's not even about like they laughed at this. They didn't laugh at this, because sometimes you get the wrong laugh, Like we had a line in History Has Its Eyes on You where Chris Jackson was getting a laugh at the top of the song because I can't remember what it was, but he basically Nane checks the French and Indian War, and the nerds in the audience were like, aha, I know about that, and it was like, no, no, we don't want to laugh here, like that may be true, but it's a laugh when we don't need it.
Speaker 5: Similar with the ll quote we had.
Speaker 4: We used to have an I need love quote in the show, and that's the affair, right That song used to start when I'm alone in my room sometimes and you took it out all yeah, I took it out because the audience was laughing at the reference and they weren't listening to what was happening to what was saying, you know, like it was a free reference and even Ll reached out was like, you be clear, I'm cool with it, and that was amazing. She like literally like tweeted at me like let's talk about it.
Speaker 5: But it was just a laugh at the wrong moment.
Speaker 11: So we cut it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I saw in the Heights. I still I've still yet to watch themton I saw in the Heights. A local the original theater group did it here in probably North Carolina, and a good friend of mine, Carly Jones, she played Camilla and we saw it and it was a great show man. I hit Bill afterwards, I send in the program. I was like, Yo, this was this is really dope because I'm not a theater.
Speaker 1: Guy, you know at all.
Speaker 7: You know, I hadn't really you know. That's why I just hearing all these stories. I'm just curious to know, like how they're worked out and how they're fleshed out. And you know when you say you started something, oh too, and y'all were working up until oh eight, It's like, damn.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like you would shine in theater.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, indeed, absolutely, but in fund that you should be Inhilton in the new in.
Speaker 2: I mean any new version of it, not again, like I feel like there's not jazz hands thirty.
Speaker 11: Yeah, like input too, though not just the performing well again like that, I have to say, like after Heights Close we ran from two thousand and eight through the end of twenty ten, there was a part of me that was a little frustrated that.
Speaker 4: Hip hop land was over here and musical theater was over here, and there was so little ven diagram, Like I could not get the hip hop artists I admired too into the Rogers. I could not get awareness of the show in the hip hop community. It did well in the Latin community, and it brought Latin audiences to Broadway in a big way while it was there, but it was just like no one was even checking for it. I felt like I was jumping up and waving my arms and and it hadn't happened in a real way. Like I remember Run DMC came to the show, like a couple of like like legends came and they were it was really like huge for me. But with with Hamilton, I just I remember wanting so I was just like, this thing is such a fucking love letter to hip hop like it would be a shame.
Speaker 5: And I know it's sailing over the heads of the strictly.
Speaker 4: Musical theater fans. We're not getting the ten Crack Commandments reference or the mob Deep reference or the you know, brand Nubian reference because.
Speaker 5: It's all the nineties hip hop shit. I like, I crammed into the show.
Speaker 3: And so do you think point was an issue?
Speaker 8: Because maybe not not for those those famous people, but for their audience or for the people who surround them that they couldn't have a conversation with.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think it's always an issue. It's one of the biggest issues facing theater.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's a lot.
Speaker 8: I definitely wanted to see and I still have yet. I gotta now, I gotta get Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: Or Disney Plus password.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I'm working on that.
Speaker 4: Device's friends. I got to so I was I was really gratified when Hamilton was received the way it was because the folks that I knew would enjoy it were able to see it.
Speaker 1: Have you seen it?
Speaker 7: Have you seen it now since it's on Disney Plus and it's becoming more accessible, do you have you seen or do you foresee an influx of it being used as a tool and teaching like in school and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Well, that was one of the first things that we realized coming out of it, Like two hundred and fifty thousand students have seen Hamilton thanks to Edgeham, this educational program we did because we realized really quick like, oh, this is becoming a buzz that is bigger than we can control. And if kids can't see the show, be fucked up because this is like a semester of ap history in about two and a half hours. And so we partnered with a nonprofit called the Gilded Learnment Association that basically deals in teaching American history, and we created Edgeham, which is these dedicated shows that are these student matinees. We start with the students do a curriculum where they write about whoever they want in American history.
Speaker 5: And I mean you can go if you google Edgeham, you'll see the most amazing shit.
Speaker 4: Like Phyllis Wheatley poems and Sally Hemming songs. I Like, people really like take the assignment and like of like, oh, what's the history I'm not learning about, I'm going to write about that, and they perform it for us. They get their Broadway debut, and they perform on stage and the best group from each school performs and they all scream for each other. Then they do a Q and A with the cast, and then we perform the matinee for them, and it's the It's the biggest legacy of the show because I feel like it opens up, it opens up history in a way that says, this is yours.
Speaker 1: This is ours.
Speaker 7: Oh no, no, uh now, I was just gonna ask you, you know, in regards to Hamilton. Uh, this was a couple of this is a while back. You're on Twitter and H Tracy Clayton, H Tracy Okay, playing family. I was like, we all kind of go way back. But y'all were having a discussion about about Hamilton, and you were very open, like to the criticisms of like, you know, what didn't really address kind of the horrors of slavery and him being like the slave owner like all that stuff, and you know, and I thought what you said was very fair of just like, look, I tried to get in what I could only had, you know, two and a half hours. You know, how do you decide what to cut, what to leave in, what's pertinent to the story. How do you I guess, how do you wrestle with all that and tell him the story?
Speaker 5: Every show is different. With Hamilton, the relentlessness was the thing.
Speaker 4: Like if it didn't, I mean, we had we cut characters because they were in Hamilton's life for long enough, you know, Like the guy who eulogized him is not in the show because he didn't meet him till later in his life. Ben Franklin, kind of an important guy not in the show because he didn't interact with Hamilton enough. And so it's interesting when when you have the success that Hamilton has had, what what happens is everyone like gets interested because the show has made them interested, and then they go and they do their research and they go, wait a minute, this city for this senor and put this in. And I'm over here, like I know, I've been researching this thing for six years, but I wanted to get you know, I'm writing a musical, I'm not writing a history report. And so I'm I'm open to the criticism because I know what's on the cutting room floor and I know that, you know, you know, it's interesting. Like I remember in the first year people really discovered John Lawrence John Lawrence was the most anti slavery of that group of friends, and he also people believe, and there's a really strong case for it, that he and Hamilton were lovers. Like the letters they write to each other are just as passionate as some of the ones Hamilton wrote to Eliza. And people said, what about this, and I said, yeah, maybe probably. The thing is Lawrence doesn't survive the act, so I can't really go there because I'm not going to get to explore it in act too.
Speaker 5: So that's why I didn't explore that facet of him.
Speaker 3: Yet to lean on on others.
Speaker 8: I'm curious because there's a lot of people who've had the experience of creating by epics or you know, things based on people's lives. Did you ever have to talk to other folks that had that similar experience that they had to cut.
Speaker 3: Out stuff and they were criticized because I thought about as.
Speaker 8: You were talking, I was like, yeah, I know, I rememb when people came to Spike Lee because even with that long ass movie, it wasn't enough for Malcolm X.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean that's just the part of the and the and the only thing you can say is everyone's right but it's not all in there. And also, like criticism is not cancelation, it's criticism. And I can take criticism, do you know what I mean? Like that's I'm a big boy, and I know what's not in there. And what I console myself with is it sparks conversations about what's not in it and about the faults of these folks and and how flawed the documents are and how flawed these men were. The thing I take issue with is I don't think we'd glorify these guys for a second. I just don't think.
Speaker 5: That was not my aim.
Speaker 4: My aim was to tell as compelling a story as I have while I have you in that theater for two and a half hours, and paint them as flawed as a piece of musical theater can paint them. But like, yes, you're all right, that's not in it.
Speaker 5: That's not in it. That's not in it, that's not in it, like and you know, and and and this was the springboard for that discussion.
Speaker 7: Yeah do you think you know? Because seeing in the heights and just seeing yeah, just seeing like all like just you know, black and Latino faces on stage, you know what I mean? That was probably the first theater, you know, show I've been to since I was small. You know, I hadn't been in like decades. And you know, do you think that these stories and the way you're telling them, have you seen that open the door for more black and Latino people to tell their stories on Broadway?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I'm always pessimistic about Broadway. I'm actually really optimistic about this moment because we're in the middle of a civil rights movement in our country and business.
Speaker 5: Is on pause. So you cannot say you don't have time to deal with this.
Speaker 4: You cannot say you don't have time to talk about equity and the kinds of stories you're choosing to put your money into as Broadway producers. But listen, I started writing in the Heights because I don't dance well enough to be in West Side Story and I when I was a senior in high school, this musical by Paul Simon called The cap Man came out and it was about Puerto Rican gang.
Speaker 5: Members in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 4: And as much as I love Paul Simon, I was like, what the fuck, Like, this is a very overrepresented group on Broadway at this point. Putan gang members from the nineteen fifties, can we literally have a show where we don't have a fucking knife in our hands? And so In the Heights was born out of him, Oh shit, no one's gonna write your dream show.
Speaker 5: Because Paul Simon's one of my favorite writers.
Speaker 4: He didn't write about.
Speaker 1: Porto Rican like I'm not expecting Paul Simon, and.
Speaker 4: He loved the music and he wrote music that really fits in that world. But like I just I just remembered because it also had Mark Anthony, had Ruben Blades, like it had a lot of my heroes in it.
Speaker 5: Like I remember having the highest hopes.
Speaker 4: Of like, oh shit, here comes your dream show. It's the Cape man, and then it super wasn't and I it was like it was the wake up moment of like you have to create the thing that you want to for it to exist because no one's going to.
Speaker 1: Make it interesting enough.
Speaker 6: When when In the Heights first came out, we got bad press saying that like In the Heights didn't have enough teeth, like it wasn't a real representation of Washington Heights because.
Speaker 1: Lis and we were like all it's about but we were like we lived there, We lived there. Man like we lived there the whole time, you know.
Speaker 4: Because if your only access to a neighborhood is seeing it on the eleven o'clock news and you have no engagement with it beyond that, that's all you see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was curious what spoke to y'all, you and Bill, since we talked about there weren't many spaces for hip hop in that way, but when you were growing up, Like, what were the shows? I know you listened to the cast albums. What were the shows that spoke to y'all to is that this is.
Speaker 3: I might want to be in this.
Speaker 4: Well Again, I'm born in nineteen eighty, so there's just never a point where hip hop's not a part of my life. I have an older sister. She gets all the credit from my hip hop education. She took me to Beat Street in the theater. I cried, Yeah, she took me to Wild Style. She took me to Crush Groove for my sixth grade graduation. My sister's present to me was a pair of Drabo jeans, and she took me to see Class Act starting. Oh, my.
Speaker 1: Sister, you'd be like, that's her, that's hip hop straight.
Speaker 4: I stole her Black Sheet album I stole her day Sola's Dead album Like that was like digging in my sister's albums. Was how I fell in love with hip.
Speaker 3: Hop's It's funny y'all say that to somebody.
Speaker 8: I told somebody yesterday that we were interviewing Lynn, and it literally was like, do you make sure you bring up the fact that Kid and Play changed how hip hop was proceived in media and changed the way, like started the real diversification of hip hop.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I never thought about that, Like that Kid and Play class act.
Speaker 1: House Party with the cartoon, they had a cartoon. Here's another great thing sequels.
Speaker 4: House Party three has one of the funniest lines in cinema history when they accidentally give the grandma the porno instead of the.
Speaker 5: One of the funniest lines in cinema history.
Speaker 6: Well, literally, talking about Lynn is like a mere going record shopping for people. One of Lynn's great things when we were younger was he would make mix CDs like for everything and all the time, and so like we had this bathroom that had like this wallpaper sort of stuff. It had like like hundreds of mixed CDs. So like we had this, we had a boombox, what a CD player in the bathroom, and it was only in the bathroom, so we would play we would turn on his big CDs and we would listen to everything. And so like those were the days of like pun and and that kind of stuff and b Ig like that's all we listened to. It was like really heavy Latin music, so like Juan Luis Ghetta and Hilberta Santa Rosa and like William and then like fucking just like hip hop all day long and like all this stuff that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: And so that's also where I sort of.
Speaker 5: Was that dance.
Speaker 3: Dance New York.
Speaker 7: So just with all the the speaking of dance, like with all the the dancers, like specifically in the Heights, like the break dancing that you found were they were those people on Broadway that already knew how to break or did you have to go and find.
Speaker 4: It was a mix of like breakers and folks who had who had a little theater experience. But we had a lot of debuts within the Heights, Like there were so many debuts with Heights and with Hamilton.
Speaker 5: Made his debut.
Speaker 4: Like you know, the thing is the shows I write are made for people who don't ordinarily get invited to get us on the board, like so with Heights, Bring It On broke the record for the number of debuts. We had thirty two Broadway debuts with that show.
Speaker 1: And that's the one I wrote.
Speaker 4: I co wrote in between in the Heights and Hamilton. But you know, sort of the same principles at work, like of just like pop music and theater music should be friends, like there's no reason there should be a separation.
Speaker 1: There is there a pressure to bring a name to the show when you present it.
Speaker 2: I remember in Fla maybe during the last well well not during the last run, but basically us getting a name would ensure that it could have an additional four months, an additional.
Speaker 4: That's why pressure comes with time, I think, I think, And every show goes through reversion of it where the you hope, the novelty of a new musical catches on in the word of mouth catches on. But there's a point at which the professional Broadway goers have all seen it and unless you have something to attract them, you know, and that's when the name thing comes. But like I remember a Broadway producer told me, like getting a name a quote unquote celebrity name to be in your show is like starting hard drugs, Like you don't get off it. Once you start off, you can't just put so and so from Dancing the Stars and then have like just a talented guy who auditioned after him, Like, once you're on that ride, you don't get off.
Speaker 2: Wow, who's the who's the biggest name that we would know that has approached you about wanting to do.
Speaker 1: Hamilton?
Speaker 4: For like a second, like YouTube, every white actor wants to play King George really yeah, because they yeah, because they love Hamilton. But they know it's not right to ask to play Hamilton or Bird because those are us, And so they go, can I pla King George? I mean insert white to hear and they go kind of And also they realize it's not a lot of work. It's one song and two repriezes, right right, So that's been the most probably most requested.
Speaker 5: It's like mad famous white people are like I could planking.
Speaker 2: George the way that the way that I don't know the system of how Broadway works, but is it that only in your first year are you eligible for Tony run?
Speaker 1: And then that's it.
Speaker 4: Tony happens sort of within the season in which you come out, which pre pandemic was sort of June, because that's when the Tonys are to June to like May April, May of the following year, and then that's your that's your class.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So if there wasn't if there wasn't a pandemic, and say Clooney wanted to or bad Brad Pitt wanted to play King George and he killed it, would he would he be eligible?
Speaker 4: It would be for the love of the game. Wow, that already happened. Yeah, there's no There have been occasionally campaigns for a Tony Award for like best Replacement, which I think is honestly like celebrities being like can I just be in Chicago, ton.
Speaker 5: And sometimes it's really like warranted, you know, like I remember seeing you know.
Speaker 4: The most famous case is they did a production and to Get Your Gun with Bernadette Peters and she was amazing, but then they got like Reba McIntyre, Like nobody's more fucking perfect for that part than McIntire, and so people were like, man, I wish there was a Tony for Best Replacement because she really like transformed.
Speaker 5: So there's a case to me.
Speaker 2: But they do have a revival category, So how long would Hamilton have to be dormant for it to get best revival or is it a five or ten year ruld.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.
Speaker 4: You just get like I guess, like all the way people being like that was quick that you're back, Like I remember when like le Mins did their revival, everyone was like was closed.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know the.
Speaker 4: Way.
Speaker 1: Man, what are some of your favorite musicals?
Speaker 7: Because I'm you know, this is all like it's very new to me, and I remember, actually you talk about theater nothing.
Speaker 1: But I actually did hair when I was a senior in high school. I did. I didn't tell you, but.
Speaker 7: Come on, man, this was in high school. This is in North Carolina. Like we had to cut all kinds of ship out of the play, like it was so much No, we didn't even we cut that ship out.
Speaker 4: We were so much a lot of appropriate.
Speaker 1: That ship was like an hour.
Speaker 7: Yeah that ship was an episode of datelineig, so you know what I mean. But like but yeah, but but I did it. But but now, so I was curious to know, like, what are some of your favorite musicals and like what makes them good? Because to me just kind of as an outsider, it all kind of sounds the same.
Speaker 1: Like Hair spoke to me because I knew Pete Rock sample. The break.
Speaker 4: Was just like just wrote great bass ship like mcermott, you know what, incredible basslines in all of Goalt mcdermot's ship. So like from that to all of this stuff, Like.
Speaker 8: I can tell you they're gonna shout out Annie in this episode. An ain't gonna get no love. But that's fine. It's a girl thing.
Speaker 3: It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 4: Well, I was gonna start with Annie, you know what?
Speaker 2: You know what? Wait, the secret secret uh fact, I was part of the of the of the letter writing process of Jay Z asking permission to use that sample.
Speaker 1: Of the use you talked about.
Speaker 5: She was like I listened to this and it gave me faith that I was going to get out one day.
Speaker 1: Wait that that letter got out, it's in his book. Oh yeah, I didn't know. Right after Hamilton, right before Hamilton he read Jay's book, I was I.
Speaker 2: Was the sounding board for do you think this will work? And I was like, oh, okay, Like and I was like, this really happened.
Speaker 5: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I was like, Okay, no, they did not still.
Speaker 8: Want to be the best songs of all musical time, decide everything that happened in.
Speaker 7: The whiz so andy, Like, what's what's your take on Cats. I've never seen Cats, but like I've heard it kind of get trashed later.
Speaker 4: And I was not a Cats guy, so like when I was a kid, you know, my parents had a lot of cast albums, but I was like a lot of Hamilton fans and that, like I just kind of imagined the shows we didn't have money for. Probably, you know, no production of Made Lamont is going to match my mental version of man A la Mancha. I've still never seen it, but we saw the like eighties Holy Trinity of Phantom, lame Is, and Cats. Those were the three musicals in the eighties, and lame Is like what I remember most about it. I fell asleep. I was seven. I remember sort of the fact that the Confrontation, which is as hip hop as that show, gets where it's like Valjean and Javer singing their parts of each other. And I always wanted a meth Redman version of the Confrontation and I was just like, I am warning you Shoven and it's like yelling at each other.
Speaker 5: I love that song.
Speaker 3: I'm just glad they made it a movie, so I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like I couldn't find go through once.
Speaker 4: But what I remember the most is my parents buying the two CD set. It was like one of the first CDs we owned, because this is when they still.
Speaker 1: Sold them in the long box.
Speaker 5: And my March would cry every time they played.
Speaker 4: She would play bring Him Home and just like weep, and I remember I think the seeing how that music affected my parents made it more interesting to me, Like the fact that it could make my parents cry was a huge deal.
Speaker 5: And then Phantom was just my shit. Like Phantom is about.
Speaker 4: An ugly songwriter who was like, if you don't like me, I'm gonna fuck everybody else well, and I related to that. I was like, yes, go on Phantom. And then Cats like I just remember the cats coming out and pawn at you in the audience. I didn't really have any patience. I didn't get it and I wasn't into it like it had a moment.
Speaker 5: I wasn't. I missed the moment.
Speaker 2: I was too young any well, not any thoughts on the movie, but is there fear or in trepidation when something that's such a sure shot doesn't translate well on screen.
Speaker 4: That was never a sure shot. That's that's the That's the thing is that like.
Speaker 2: You from outside looking time out from the outside looking in, Yeah, looking looking in, and I'm thinking like, Okay, they got all their all their porns in a row, and and it's coming out for Christmas, and how can I not expect this to be like this is it?
Speaker 5: Like what? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What happened? How did that turn into istar?
Speaker 5: Because it's about cats.
Speaker 4: And it has period, it has so it has one incredible eighties ballad for the ages with memory and Jennifer Hudson singing that is not enough for a whole movie, although it is a wonderful sequence in the movie. No, it's not, as it's even due to It's that it was sort of like this cult favorite that I think was successful because it was so out of the box that you had to see it. And then I think it ran a long time because you don't need to speak a word of English to enjoy cats. So it was a huge international hit. You could just be like what's on Broadway? Like you come from any country in the world, what's on Broadway Cats, Let's go see Cats like it just became this hit that you had to see it just it became synonymous with Broadway in a very real way. But if you look, if you actually took a closer look like, there's no story. These cats all say, I want to go. This is a song about me. This is a song about me. Jennifer Husinsing's memory. Okay, it's her, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the last play that worked on film?
Speaker 4: I see it. That's the It's interesting because.
Speaker 6: Conversation was just as it was the Whiz Men Everything to men conversation, because it's about to be a real black conversation about the Here we Go.
Speaker 3: I was trying to avoid the Whiz I was trying to listen.
Speaker 1: The Wiz is one of the greatest horror movies of our time. It is.
Speaker 4: The trash Monsters.
Speaker 1: As you say it, the Whiz on Mushrooms is even better.
Speaker 5: I'll bet Cats on Mushrooms is much more experience.
Speaker 3: Is there is there an answer to that question? Has there been a great film play on film?
Speaker 4: So here's my thing. I believe there are great movie musicals. I think adapting a stage musical to film is one of the hardest things you can do.
Speaker 3: I like the churse line.
Speaker 5: You like the course Line movie?
Speaker 1: Do you like the course Line the movie?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 1: Is there?
Speaker 3: Do you have a I watched it like fifteen times?
Speaker 4: Are I think if you watch the course Line the show first, the movie is like what's happening? Okay? Yeah, it's about it's having how you experience it, you know, because there's great performances in the chorus Line movie, but the show is so much about that line and everyone being equal that like the movie is like where are we what's happening? Like, so are we following Michael Douglas.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was the director.
Speaker 4: What talking about the record?
Speaker 2: I will say so, knowing that you have that level of scrutiny as a fan, you still treat movies and you know you're still a fan first before you're a suit. How much adjustment did you have to make to in the Heights the movie?
Speaker 4: I think the gold standard of an adapt movie adaptation is Cabaret. The Cabaret movie is completely different from the show. You wouldn't recognize it, but it's genius and it is its own thing, and when you go see the show, it is genius in its own way. But it's it's just they're different things. And that's how we approached in the Heights. We were like, we cannot put the show on stage.
Speaker 1: It's a different medium.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can't put a two act show in a three act structure.
Speaker 4: And so a lot of the credit for I think Heights is an amazing adaptation, but a lot of the credit goes to Kiara, who really had distance from it.
Speaker 5: When she wrote the screenplay.
Speaker 4: She was the she was my co writer for the show, and she wrote the libretto for the show, and she made a bunch of really bold choices to update it. That means cutting some songs, that means, but it also means opening up the world in the way. The other thing we did that was so important was we shot on location and we cast this thing, like you can't just be like Hollywood good. You have to like be you have to not look out of place on one hundred and seventy fifth and Watsworth things that make sense, Like you've got to it's got to work some authenticity. Yeah, it's got to have real authenticity. And and so I think our movie is a good adaptation because it's not faithful, but it's faithful in the right way. It's faithful to the spirit, but not the this happens, and this happens, this happens, and this happens. Like I think that's where like I think that's where The Red Movie is less successful. They use the original cast fifteen years after the fact, and they're all incredibly talented, but.
Speaker 5: Those aren't twenty somethings anymore.
Speaker 1: It's a different story, different story.
Speaker 4: It just is a different story.
Speaker 5: And so you know that's that's the tricky thing.
Speaker 2: Now, this is totally off subject, but I feel like only you can explain this to me. Okay, So in Quarantining, I got caught up. One of the best movie podcasts that you can listen to is the A twenty four channel. Oh oh, they got to the production yo, the Saftie Brothers and Paul Thomas Anderson alone that episode where they have like directors interview each other. So when Uncut Gems came out, Paul Thomas Anderson and interviewed the Safti brothers. But there's an episode where Martin Scorsese finally talks about New York, New York and as a Scorsese fan for the life of me, and this is weird. Of all the films, what convinced Michael Jackson to do the Bad Film with Scorsese.
Speaker 1: Was New York, New York. He had never seen Raging Bull, none of that stuff.
Speaker 2: But as a Scorsese fan, I knew that he had a nervous breakdown doing New York, New York. But I never knew how that film. I don't know if I can't judge musicals on film to know, Like I'm like light Ye with the Cortius line, like I like everything, like I'm the guy that's all staying alive and was like it was.
Speaker 1: Good right to like. But that's the thing. You can't trust nothing under if you're under the age of twelve, you like any thing, you know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, probably right after Beat Street, right, I.
Speaker 1: Liked all that ship. I didn't realize that that ship is. Yeah, what I'm asking is, was assuming that you least saw New York, New York, was it bad or like?
Speaker 4: I don't think it was so much that was bad. I just think it was an uneasy mix of styles. It's Jake Lamatta in a musical, It's Travis Bickle in a musical. Like Scorsese doesn't stop Scorsese and he's mean Tolzam and Ellie and he beats her up, but then you're bursting into song and I don't think that to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, similar similar to Jungle Fever. Like for some reason Scorsese won't let this out.
Speaker 4: On you know, it's really hard to find.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in my storage room. But this is my first I've ever hearing of this movie. I've ever heard of it.
Speaker 4: He did it, and he did all the Yankee games is from that movie that was never written for a musical, like that was written for that movie. And then Sinatra did his own version, you know. Candor and I like don't love Sinatra's version. They're like he fucked up all the lyrics, but version that's the.
Speaker 1: Version that right, Yeah, he did it seventy seven.
Speaker 4: After Taxi Driver, Right, ain't number one?
Speaker 5: You just said that twice?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Scorsese did it in uh seventy six or seventy seven, right after tax Driver, and it it was almost like it's his version of I love it. Well, I'm interested only because that's his apocalypse. Now as far as how it nearly destroyed him, like he almost didn't make Razing Bull because he was almost driven to the brink of suicide because.
Speaker 1: Of this film.
Speaker 4: I'm going to bring up The Whiz one more time in that pant Okay, there's a I mean any director like you read making movies by Sidney la Mette. Sidney Lamette made Cirproco and All Day Afternoon and directed The Whiz, and it's one of the few times he cops to a mistake in the book. All he says is, I felt the look of the movie getting away from me. I felt like a distance between what I pictured and what my different departments were making and when they were doing the the Emerald City sequence, and you know, it's those beautiful dancers and like the colors change and then all that change like they the footage because the gel was so hot that it like it's like blew out the exposure. So it was sort of I mean, you will never get a better cast again in the history of movies than the cast of The Whiz.
Speaker 3: But sorry, I got selfish play.
Speaker 5: And the news like you can't win is not in the stage.
Speaker 4: Show you can't win.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not in the state the stage show, the stage you don't remember home? Is that what we're doing.
Speaker 1: You remember my home was the home.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, I.
Speaker 4: Mean you've seen as like a two year old singing.
Speaker 8: Ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of new songs.
Speaker 2: Well in the Quincy and the Unheard Quincy episode, he did six new songs for the Whiz that you know. That's why he was up all night writing them. You know, he's writing them joints on the spot that that that Emerald City.
Speaker 3: Charlie Small who wrote most of the music.
Speaker 2: The songs that weren't Charlie involved, Like I know, but his name doesn't get He was literally flying by the seat from his pants, like writing stuff three days before they were due on set in a rap and you have the ship ready and like they were.
Speaker 1: Kind of winging. It sounds like a morand deadline. Yeah, I got, I can imagine that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what, I'm a less project between just you know, being you know, uh playwright, actor, uh you know, MC songwriter.
Speaker 1: Like I have, I.
Speaker 4: Try to go by two criteria. One, am I gonna learn from this a thing that I could? Like I always think of the DeVry Technical School commercial.
Speaker 5: Commercial, like like.
Speaker 4: You use that tool, it goes in your toolbox, like you learn each tool one at a time, and that's how it worked.
Speaker 5: So like that's how I like. It's like, Okay, I'm gonna learn. You know, Mary Poppins returns.
Speaker 4: I was not a big Mary Poppins guy, but I'm gonna watch the director of Chicago Directive musical like and I'm gonna learn from watching him do that, and that's gonna help me for the next thing.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then the other ship is just like stuff I'd kick myself forever if I said no, like duck Tails do a voice gizmo duck on duct. He was like, yeah, I if I say no, I'm gonna hate the person who did it forever.
Speaker 8: Like I'm gonna please tell me about your curby your enthusiasm experience.
Speaker 5: That's an example of like I kick myself forever.
Speaker 3: Yes, in which I know everything. Please show what you.
Speaker 5: Have to know is that not a word of it dialogue is written.
Speaker 4: I do know this. But he has the whole season like and he calls you like he's like they're like Larry David wants to talk to you, and you go, oh my god. And so he calls you and he pitches you the whole season goes.
Speaker 10: You know, I don't know if you know the show, but there was a fouta on me and I'm gonna I'm gonna figure, I'm gonna lift the fotoa because I'm gonna help a guy cut the line and like I'm gonna say he was here before and because of that, he's gonna cut the and I'm gonna Okay, So can I go on with Fox while the musical?
Speaker 4: And the people in charge of the Fox say you can do fout while the musical, but only if Linnmann will Miranda's involved? Oh, Hamilton, we love Hamilton, Yes, yes, we love Hamilton. And then like you're involved, but like we don't get along and like you're pain in the ass and we don't like each other. And then somehow we're gonna get to like a duel and I'm gonna shoot you with a paintball gun.
Speaker 1: Like it was all in.
Speaker 5: On the phone, and like how fuck you say no to that?
Speaker 1: You don't and there's no script, Like there's no and.
Speaker 4: There's no script. And so I told him I have to do that with you, but I'm about to leave the country. For eight months, I was doing I was doing Mary Poppins returns, and so he said, well, they let me film it whenever I want, so we'll work around you. So I filmed my stuff for the first episode, like the weekend I was in town for the oscars. I filmed all the office ship and then they like broke until I got back, and then they reassembled the crew filmed my scenes and coming again. Because he has such cachet at HBO, he just goes, I got an idea, and they're like, all right.
Speaker 5: We're doing another season.
Speaker 4: Like that's what's amazing is he really like has he's a genius because he's created a system where he doesn't have to learn online, but he can create a whole season in TV. Like Jeff Schaeffer, who's his number two, who's sort of the show runner, has these pieces of paper. He's kind of keeping track of the plot lines and so like there would be times when he'd come in and be like, all right, remember in this scene, you've just come from your cousins and and and Larry would just show him away like a we'll figure it out, we'll figure it out. He's like, I don't like knowing too much stuff. We'll get there, and he just wants to get there organically. He doesn't want to have to remember, shit, it's Jeff Schaeffer and and uh and Larry Dave. Like Larry David gets an idea and he works with his showrunner and they kind of work out the beats and they schedule it by episode what they want to happen, but not a line of dialogue. And it was funny because then you also have to figure out your own relationship to Larry.
Speaker 5: So like I figured, like, all right, I can't be Nina Esmond because no one curses out Larry like Nina Esmond.
Speaker 4: And I can't be the hype guy because like JB's move is a legit genius and I can't do what he does. So I was like, I'll be the antagonist, but I'm just gonna be like really positive while I do the opposite of whatever he wants me to do.
Speaker 5: Like that was my whole thing, was Like you like.
Speaker 4: This shirt, Larry. He'd be like, yeah, I like it, Okay, Okay, we need to look at more shirts.
Speaker 1: Like just do the opposite.
Speaker 5: To him, because he knows how to deal with aggressive, but he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Know how to deal with like passive aggressive positivity that is.
Speaker 5: The opposite of what he wants.
Speaker 4: So that was my way of being an age.
Speaker 2: So thank you have you have you planned it at least that you can talk about. I guess the white elephant in the room is people were dying to know what your next Broadway venture will be, which you know again is you know, I assume that this time is sort of like what nineteen eighty five was to Michael accident after a joke.
Speaker 5: But there's lessons in that, right, Like I think.
Speaker 4: There's stuff in Bad that I love, Like Dangerous is legit my favorite album because I was twelve when it came out, and the music that comes out with twelve is what means the most to you forever.
Speaker 5: I remember being in the mirror being like there will be and it's just trials and my obsessions, like yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the thing, but the thing is just let me wait, let me Like artists.
Speaker 4: I think one of the dangers is to go bigger, Like there's a temptation to be like this one's going to be even we can thrill, like if you go to the like topping yourself place, like that's where I think people mess up and and so like I'm not gonna write like a three act historical musical, like it hits twenty times a day on Twitter every day, Oh really every day? Can you please write something about this so people finally know. I was like, I think people know. It's just a matter of what side people are chosen exactly because don't care.
Speaker 2: The thing is is, though most artists will do what they call the departure album, which is like the opposite of that. I was actually gonna say I kind of admire Mike's balls for actually saying you know what, I get top thriller, Like, yeah, he's literally the only one that had a mountain and was like, all right, I'm gonna climb this other mountain, which I gotta give it to him. Okay, five five albums, five number one songs from an album is not a failure.
Speaker 4: To me, man in the mirror, leave me Alone just on the knee, but wasn't on the cassette.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is it's jam bad. Though yeah it's it's weird. It's a success, but it's still not my favorite. But what I'm say thing is that people either like we'll do the opposite or they'll try to top it. But there's also middle ground, and people never explore the middle ground. I guess for you, what would the opposite of Hamilton be, like a one man play or Shakespeare in the Park.
Speaker 4: Or you know. One of my favorite books, which.
Speaker 1: Like a Latino, I'm gonna write.
Speaker 5: A play for every decade. Oh god, I wish no.
Speaker 4: The one of my favorite books in high school was because I remember I was like a film guy. Was Rebel Without a Crew by Robert Rodriguez, who directed Desperado and directed In City. And his whole thing was like he made his first movie for eight thousand dollars. He maxed out all his credit cards, sold his blood and was like a lab rat in like like experiments to make the money. Yeah, clinical truck for clinical trial for his first movie and she's and he did on eight thousand dollars, damn. And so he wrote this book about like stop waiting for Hollywood, just make your own ship. Like that was really influential to me, Like stop waiting for anybody, make your own ship. And he said, after I made Desperado, everyone was waiting for the sophomore slump. And everyone is waiting for the sophomore slump, so just do so much different shit that no one knows what your sophomore project is like that, and that's basically what I've.
Speaker 5: Been trying to do. Like he did a segment for Four Rooms. Remember four Rooms?
Speaker 4: He did an episode for like a show on Showtime. Like he just did like lots of different ship, and that's kind of like I was like, Okay, I'm not going to go right into writing another musical after Hamilton. I'm just gonna go do lots of different ship until I amass enough ideas.
Speaker 5: And I have ideas for stuff I want to write that is the length of Hamilton, but it doesn't tell me what form it wants to be.
Speaker 4: Like, remember I thought Hamilton was gonna be a mixtape. Like I thought I was going to be doing like a Prince among Thieves, Like that's what Hamilton was. In my head. It was like it was a concept album. I'd have rappers play the founders. I just didn't know any rappers yet, Like I had to write the show to get there. And so I have ideas for full length things, but I don't know whether their movies, or whether their concept albums, or whether they're shows.
Speaker 8: But there's all say because you know rappers now, so that whole concept album thing is like a thing. It can't of course, it can't be Hamilton, but it can be.
Speaker 4: So yeah and yeah. So I have an idea for something that I think could be a concept album and could be a play. But until I start like really writing it, I'm not gonna know what it is.
Speaker 2: It'll tell me what it is, all right, So you're just planning seeds, Yeah, okay, the fun stuff. Gun to your head? What are the five albums? And they can't no greatest hits? Man, Okay, That's why I hate that Rolling Stones list. It's like, come on, you can't put James start Time in there. That's every James Brown record ever.
Speaker 1: Right, Gun to your head.
Speaker 2: Five records that you are forced to listen to in solitary confinement four years straight.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 6: Five records from Neon Wesley University professor Neon my college highlighte Yeah.
Speaker 5: Bizarre, Right to the far Side. Yes, yes, I probably listened.
Speaker 1: To that more than any other team lab Cab. I think me and just Blaze might be the only two dudes. Yes, you born in seventy eight. I was on seventy eight. Seventy eight motherfuckers. So contrary man.
Speaker 4: Like Team Black Cabin Man, if you, if you, I have a theory about that, okay, seventy three to seventy eight. The reason you also contrary is because your formative Star Wars movie is Empire strikes Back, and it is the one with the sad ending and it taught a generation like I imagine seeing Empire strikes Back and being like, and that's the end of the movie.
Speaker 1: What that's theory. I've never seen War about to say, but no, I've never seen Star.
Speaker 8: Most contrary seventy eight people more return to Jedi, but I know is out of that regardless.
Speaker 1: So I can see all right, because I feel like that's the album that birthed Eminem.
Speaker 3: That's what I told you.
Speaker 1: What hmm, all right? Number two Forest, That's that's Eminem all day everything.
Speaker 4: As if that album drops and you're fourteen years old and you hear passing me by.
Speaker 3: What and the remix.
Speaker 4: M number one Fish the Burp, right, I mean, just like it is love that album.
Speaker 5: I found with lab Cat too. It's just that album was like, takes this much real estate in my brain.
Speaker 2: I just I don't like records that I learned early. We almost we almost made a mistake on idel or we were going to do like industry complaint songs, the industry, Oh yeah, industry complaint songs.
Speaker 1: And my A and R is like no, like no one cares that SOCD label doesn't care.
Speaker 5: About vils of fame album, right that.
Speaker 1: WASPS is about like the record label. And I learned early, like never made songs about the record label, So I learned early, you know, all right? Number two? What's your number? Two?
Speaker 4: Number two is an album that I remember more as like a vinyl in my dad's collection. It's a Ruby Blades's album called Buscando America looking for America, and it was it's it's one of those moments where like, you know, you just you dance to your parents ship when you're like with dym dancing dancing, and then you listen and then like you learn enough Spanish to understand the lyrics and you go, this is about capitalism or like this is about the perils of like religious fanaticism. Like there's deep ship in the lyrics of those songs. But I experienced it as like a kid dancing to it, and then I had a whole other like thing when I was old enough to appreciate it.
Speaker 5: So that's an album I can fuck with forever.
Speaker 3: All the kids that don't relate him to the guy from the Predator.
Speaker 4: Movies Predator too with Danik Lover, Yes, and then another generation who just knows him as a guy on the Walking Dead sequel, and yes he is, he's the father, Oh my god, Yes, and he's like he's like Dylan, and then like kids know him as Predator to.
Speaker 3: Put me on who he really was, But that's some New York ship.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's the New York ship because he was. He was, He was the seventies Sign. He wrote all the best songs of Sound Sign in the seventies, him and Willie Quimber three.
Speaker 5: I gotta pick a theater album at some point, right, But I've listened to Rent so many times.
Speaker 4: I don't think I would. I would stay in it. It would probably be it probably would be something I don't know as well, like Gershwin's Porgie and Bess, or or like any sound time show like those are so fucking dense you you will hear new shit in it every time. Listening to Sondheim like Arrangement Wise is like listening to pun lyrically like you will get a new ship every time you're here. It so probably like Sweeney Todd. I think Sweeney Todd is a good number three. And it's also so I'm kind of cheating.
Speaker 1: Do you play land you talk about like just composition, do you play keys or.
Speaker 5: Like piano just well enough to write my ship?
Speaker 4: And actually, when I started working with Bill will appreciate this, Like it used to be like four tracks, Like I would play the bass here, in the piano here, and it was like terrible. And then finally like most of Heights got written a garage band and Hamilton got written on logic like I just like anything. That's the distance between my brain and like these keys, and to the point where it's part of the editing process, like a melody has to survive my shitty chops.
Speaker 1: Right, that's that's did you get melody through the rough stages?
Speaker 4: Then you got some Yeah, yeah, there are composers who have no distance between their brain and their hands. I'm I'm just not one of those guys. It's got to survive my chops. And then sometimes I find shit along the way while I'm trying to get it out of my head. Uh okay. Number four songs in the key Life. I could listen to that forever and be very very happy. I could pick any Stevie. I could pick intervisions like you know, like we were.
Speaker 7: We were talking on Twitter about like I think like Talking Book being better than songs, and I was like, I'm not mad.
Speaker 1: I think I play.
Speaker 7: I played Talking Book more. I mean, songs is a masterpiece. But talking about that kind of come back to more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two discs, So I'm cheating, all right. I'm just trying to get more music into this little desert island situation you've got me into.
Speaker 1: That's why I picked the least liked one, which is feeling this.
Speaker 8: Oh it's like plants, plants, That's what I thought he was gonna say, because he.
Speaker 1: Well, if I'm stuck with the record for a year, I just haven't.
Speaker 4: Been question why hasn't there been a great Stevie jukebox musical. I've imagined it many times, like you yeah, yeah, and like you enter the world okay, and then it's tell.
Speaker 5: Truth.
Speaker 1: Talk about that a sort of like the Prince musical Trust Me when one day in the musical, I'm telling you one day your last one, my last one. I think you say some Pun record.
Speaker 5: At this point, I mean I still fun.
Speaker 4: With capital punishment like it's the one.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 4: Everything else after it's.
Speaker 1: Sort of like the hell yeah you baby, Yo. You know what, here's the thing Spotify list on my Spotify playlist. I don't know why. First of all, I love one.
Speaker 10: I love.
Speaker 2: I should not love that nigga ship, but I love it. I love I'm laughing at you now.
Speaker 1: I don't even have.
Speaker 4: You. Now.
Speaker 2: There's like five songs that I really really on the yeah this on the yeah baby, yeah baby. Yeah, there's five joints I really like. I like the sketches. My favorite, My favorite part of sketches, and I know he was doing scar phase was when the guy's laughing during the shooting scene like thanks Pun, and he's like when he.
Speaker 1: Gets shot exactly exactly, You'll you'll appreciate this Lynn Pun.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, well not really. Pun was supposed to be on adrenaline on things fall apart what like, It's just the conversation with Pun. To talk to him is another language, because he'll call the studio like, hey, what's up, how you doing?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: It's like talking to the Charlie Brown teacher that's how it is to talk to Big Pun like he he was on his adrenaline. Should have been a uh four man operation with Pun, Beanie Tarique and Molik and Pun uh, but he never made it.
Speaker 4: So wow, you've seen that footage of it's like Pun d m X and they're all sitting in that booth and they're daring each other to freestyle and like it. She's like, no writtens, no writtens.
Speaker 5: It's a great little video really. Oh yeah yeah, and spit some ship.
Speaker 4: He definitely spit on someone else's album and it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well forgot. Oh you're a spot in the God Watch the Night Watter maccado joint. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Kind of it's explained to us and kind of tell you know, our viewers what Walter mccado meant to the what what he meant to the Latino community.
Speaker 4: The way I try to explain it to like Americans who didn't grow up with Walter muccado is like, imagine Bob Ross told you your future. Like imagine Bob Ross came into your home each day and was like, forgo, it's gonna be okay. You have a fortune coming down the lane and then like Pisces, and so like I remember most of my because remembering to a room being loud and my grandmother being like the fuck up waiting for Sagittarius, like waiting for Walter to tell her what was going to happen her day.
Speaker 5: And I would sit through Sagittarius because Capricorn was after that.
Speaker 3: Radio personality.
Speaker 4: No, he was a TV personal Also remember Bob Imagine Bob Ross tells you your horoscope and he dresses like Liberocchi.
Speaker 1: When he's feeling he dress Baker. Yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: Incredibly flamboyant at a time, you know, like machismo in Latin culture is like off the charts talks sometimes. But because Walter was so positive and he told us our future, he was just a fixture in.
Speaker 3: Our wow and so like remember I never knew his name.
Speaker 4: My Christmas present every year to my grandmother was the almanac Walter meccaldoll like next year Almanac to tell her what she could expect in the coming year. And one of the producers of the docs Friends with Foucars who was in Freestyle of Supreme with us. So I got a text from woodcarsh being like, hey, would you be interested in being in a Walter medcal when I wrote yes, I didn't let him finish because I got a chance to meet him. I could feel my ancestors doing backflips that I was meeting the guy who told them their future every day, and and I feel really grateful. I was. I was doing Hamilton Porto Rico at the time, so I got like an afternoon with him. He read me my chart, he read me my kids charts, like he like looked up my birthday and was like, oh, well, this was happening in this moon and this is like of course you were going to go into writing like of course.
Speaker 5: It was just like I was crying so much, not in the movie of me, just like holy shit.
Speaker 4: And then he passed away like within the year. So I felt I feel extra grateful for that moment because it was like, you know, that was that was like that's as close as I've gotten to like meeting a celebrity that Westy on my TV every day.
Speaker 7: I was a great documentary man. I you know, I had knew who he was, I didn't know his story, and I thought that was really good.
Speaker 1: I think, say I got it.
Speaker 8: Look then got a couple because I still gotta witch se him for Luis too, So it's.
Speaker 5: That's coming out on Tuesday.
Speaker 8: That's not out yet, oh god, okay, but it'll be out by by the time this episode place.
Speaker 4: Yes, And then there's the Freestyle doc which Quest is in and uh is like, what's crazy about that? Is they got footage of us at our peak, like at Baked Beans era substitute teaching, Like the guy who directed that movie started following us with a camera in two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: So this movie is about you, guys at your beginnings.
Speaker 4: It's about like the fifteen years of freestyle when like we were, I was a substitute teacher, Bill's working MTV and then we were making up funny raps for people where that's all Hulu.
Speaker 1: Okay, how do you stay sharp?
Speaker 2: Because I now realize one of the things about being in quarantining is that us doing the Tonight Show every night, at least when we were doing it before quarantining, I mean to re expending two hours every day wrapping, so that keeps his mind sharp, which explains like the amount of fire that he's which is.
Speaker 4: It's probably that ten minute freestyle because I've watched that more times than any album, any album of the past few years.
Speaker 2: So how do you say, Because the thing is as a freestyler, you're like you're super or one point, I've never seen you fall or slip yet, And in doing freestyle love supreme the amount of times I've seen it, Like the amount of pressure that it takes to make that happen. Like how often every day are you guys, especially now in quarantining, Like how often every day you guys even practicing?
Speaker 4: When quarantine happened, we were doing our Broadway run and we were doing an eighth show week, and that was incredible. I wasn't doing eight shows. I was doing two or three a week, but still that was enough. My my learning curve with freestyle was, oh, if you try to plan your rhymes, you're gonna fall the fuck on your face. Like I that's that was my learning curve because when we started doing it, I was trying to be cute and I was like, all right, I got two punch lines that if I can't think of anything, I'll say these funny punch lines and then like I would get out on stage, I would fuck up the punch lines and then be terrible like and so you learn the only answers to just be truly open and truly present, and then like you get enough reps that like it becomes another language filter, like, oh no, everything I'm gonna say is gonna rhyme, but I'm gonna express this. I'm gonna express this and it will just rhyme because I've had enough reps and I know how to do it. And if you get, like chess, enough on it, you can know where you're going and build your way there, which Tarik's amazing at. Every time we play Wheel of Freestyle, I love hearing what his first line is.
Speaker 5: Because I already know he knows what his last line is, and he's.
Speaker 4: Building to it and builds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he builds backwards.
Speaker 4: He builds backwards, but he builds backwards in real time. And that's what I try to do too. Of Like I'm going to end on Dinosaur, so now I got to think of three rhyns for Dinosaur.
Speaker 1: And I got to do it as I go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's the best in the world at it. But that's that's what I try to do in the shows, and that's my own little discipline for myself. Like Anthony will literally build to rhyme and say the opposite just to surprise himself. I don't think Anthony's rhyme three times, Like he just likes to fucking zig and zag ootcars, just like u TK is, just like he hits these pockets where like he's got twenty syllables and then he can't. Like everyone kind of approaches it differently, which I think also works well. Like my technique wouldn't work for Anthony and u tk's wouldn't work for me, But we all kind of meet in the middle because we're all just trying to be present and listen to each other and like say what comes out right?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think like freestyling for MC's that's like DJing for producers. Like I think just being in that coming up in there, if you came up in battle culture or like cipher culture, like freestyling that definitely you know you talk about earlier, you were saying they don't really teach rapping his songwriting or they don't think of it as songwriting. That's something that's always kind of been a thing for me. And just that your I tell I tell all EMC's, anybody want to rap for me?
Speaker 1: Whatever? Like I'm like, no, please don't rap me. I don't hear it.
Speaker 7: But you got four bars to close me, Like that's my home, you got you got four bars to close me. I know I can tell within four bars if somebody really got some shit or not, because you gotta. You have to pretty much a you know, attack grab the listen about a throat in that beginning, and you got a close strong you know what I mean. And the middle you can you know, the middle gotta be strong too. But that opening, that closing, like you got to bring that mofucker home.
Speaker 8: Lynn.
Speaker 3: I just want to ask you. It's interesting because we were talking.
Speaker 8: About like, as you're growing, your father is growing, and we know that this documentary is coming out about his life. And it's interesting because it's it's it's an interesting responsibility put on your shoulders. It feels like at this time in your life as a new Eurekan man, as a Puerto Rican man, same thing with this. It's like an activism versus capitalism kind of line. Like I just wanted you to speak on it for a second and speak on this weight that has kind of been thrust it upon you and you've taken on a lot voluntarily in that sense, you know.
Speaker 4: I used to use Twitter to just like live tweet buffy and shit like everybody else on Twitter.
Speaker 5: Like you can't do that when you have three million people follow you. It's a particle.
Speaker 4: Like every tweet's a press release, so your relationship to that change is But also like I try to treat the causes I get involved in the same way I treat creative impulses of like what's the shit that doesn't leave you alone?
Speaker 5: Like, what is the thing that like you went to bed thinking.
Speaker 4: About it and you woke up and You're like, this is so fucked up. I can't stop thinking about it. It hurts my heart, it hurts my stomach, Like I'm going to get involved in some way. And I tried it, because you could go on Twitter all day and see all the things going on in the world and drown in it, like and drown in how much need there is in the world.
Speaker 5: But you can only listen to the shit that doesn't leave you alone, And so I try to.
Speaker 4: I try to do that, and then I think the biggest lesson I got for my dad because I'm the mellowest, laziest guy in my family by a lot, but the median is so high because my dad is such an achiever that like even falling below the media and I still get a lot of you dun. Yeah, but I am I'm the slow poke. I'm the one who like like just want you know, I'm very happy that we have all successfully skipped watching this first debate live.
Speaker 1: And let's talk about it. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm about to DV here. I don't know what you're saying. It's an addiction.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I can't. I can't.
Speaker 4: Date with you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to be.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, this guy's got some good ideas.
Speaker 8: But the pressure is on because everybody's pandering to the Latin vote, which I found it is so interesting because it's so many countries that you just put under an umbrella with different classes and ship But like, even with that, for you, it's even pressure in this election year in a way, right for you to speak up say things where do we you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But but the thing that my dad and I are always on about is like that we're not a monolith and you have to talk with nuance. Don't be playing mid a gay and the fucking Texas for Biden. Thing like they're fucking with Nathaniel Music down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like.
Speaker 4: Me, but it's it's it's it's as simple as speaking to our issues and speak like and and really understanding them. And the you know the fact that we we've never had a president more hostile to Latinos than this president. And he told us who he was the moment he came down the elevator and was like, Mexican's are rapists. They're not sending over the best people, like they're sending over the rapists and killers.
Speaker 3: Like and like there's went Datinos for Trump.
Speaker 4: And it went downhill from there, Like that was his opening salvo and it went downhill from there. So you know, I think, I mean, if you want to go down policy, we talk another hour, but like.
Speaker 1: I don't have to.
Speaker 5: You have to just you know, speak to the issues that that that affect us.
Speaker 4: This motherfucker through paper towels and did everything he could not to send aid to Puerto Rico, and what he did to Puerto Rico after Marie is exactly what he's doing to this country in this pandemic. He wasn't to Matty and then he lied about how not ready he was okay on our island, and then it happened in our country.
Speaker 2: You opened the door, And I guess I have to ask one question every you know, every culture has their group of people that are willingly ignorant to actual facts and truth. How easy do you think it will be to convince? As Laya mentioned, Uh, there's a a sizable population of Latinos for Trump that you know, feel as though he's right and he speaks for me. And I'm actually shocked that a lot in what I or my hip hop I would expect it from, you know, the the old uncle that you think about at Thanksgiving or at least that you know comedians joke about.
Speaker 1: But is this at all? Is this something that could be turned around or in you're at So.
Speaker 4: Much of it is just misinformation. You're trying to play fair with someone who lies as easy as breathing, and the fact that he throws around words like socialism and they're coming to get your this or coming to get your that. Sometimes to populations that have fled countries where that real shit has happened, lies can take root, you know what I mean, Like there's all manner of atrocities happening in insert Latin American countries here, and if Trump says they're going to do that here and you've just come from there, that shit takes root. And I really think that a misinformation is a big part of it, and the fact that in Spanish language like misinformation can spread even more wildly because like you know, the fact checkers of the Washington Post aren't listening to the Latin radio station, but the Latin radio station is spouting some right conspiracy.
Speaker 5: It goes unchecked. It just straight up goes unchecked.
Speaker 4: And so you know, to me, that's a big part of it, is just like misinformation campaigns with vulnerable populations. And you know, the larger part of it I can't speak to, Like there's you know, I can't know what goes on in that mindset because I'm certainly not of that mindset. Like I'm just seeing with my own eyes the lies this guy is told. Like with Puerto Rico alone, like he said, only sixteen people died. We know that thanks to mismanagement, it was closer to four thousand, but he got stuck at sixteen and kept them moving.
Speaker 8: You know, just released the funds like a week ago, right right right, type of the election right.
Speaker 4: And when when you see him with this, with the pandemic stuff, and how unprepared he was and how much he downplayed it, he will continue to say, but China, but China. Like It's like he gets the one fact in his head and he sticks to it. So, you know, I don't know the answer to turning around, but I know that misinformation is a big part of it.
Speaker 5: Misinformation that is just sticky enough to take hold.
Speaker 1: My last question on pay bill, uh is there anything about Lynn that we haven't learned yet?
Speaker 4: Ending with you, Fela Kutstein, I just saw that you replaced the name.
Speaker 6: I mean, there are many stories about Lynn that are fantastic and uh, you know, uh, maybe we could do a second episode and get into the real mental.
Speaker 1: Situ I mean that, Yeah, No, what did you just say?
Speaker 4: That was a word salad.
Speaker 5: Make fun of how you talk.
Speaker 4: But what did you just say?
Speaker 1: I don't know how to answer this question.
Speaker 6: The answer is, yes, there are many stories about Linda that I that I could tell here, but uh, there are none that will take the short amount of time we have left to coagulate.
Speaker 1: I think it's dope now, I think it's dope for y'all.
Speaker 7: Have been been homies for all these years, you know, like twenty years for y'all to still be homies, are still working together, and you know the heights that you've both achieved.
Speaker 1: I think that's just a great story, man.
Speaker 3: It's a plan for this to be forever, forever, forever.
Speaker 1: Answer that question, like you.
Speaker 3: Plan for you.
Speaker 2: There's only there's only two people in my life not related to me that i've no longer. You're actually one of them, which is serious, that's real though.
Speaker 5: Kiss today, goodbye?
Speaker 4: What I did?
Speaker 1: Did you really? Did you have a Comodo?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Comodo six.
Speaker 1: I used to watch the play Tony Hawk's Skateboarder for like hours up.
Speaker 5: The remasters still over again.
Speaker 1: We used to watch Little Mermaid. We have a lot of weird times.
Speaker 4: Dominator, that was a big game.
Speaker 1: Do you do you still game? You still game it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I just got the remaster Tony Hawk because that was that was the game that got me back into games. Like I started playing with that in college and then I never got off again. I'm replaying Red Dead too.
Speaker 1: Like that's like and I never opened it. It was just this so much game. I finished the game.
Speaker 4: But once you start hunting Theres.
Speaker 5: It's like.
Speaker 7: U P S four, U Xbox PS four, U ps FOALKM P four two. I just finished a couple of months ago U Ghost of Sushima.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: That ship is amazing that.
Speaker 5: My wife likes, Like she plays Zelda forever. She will be every book in the room. I just want to fight. I just want to fight.
Speaker 1: I can still go okay if you just want to fight ship. There is a game. It's four. It's like twenty bucks.
Speaker 7: It was on Xbox but now it's They made it for PS four called Cuphead, Cuphead, Cuphead.
Speaker 1: Dude, dude, I'm getting head. It is like I heard I like I saw somebody in the form.
Speaker 7: They described it as cartoon Dark Souls and it is the realist ship ever, Like it is as hard as fuck. It's super hard, but the animation style is in like that nineteen thirties Tom and Jerryles.
Speaker 4: My first date with my wife was Grand Theft, Autos and Andres. That's how I got this to come to my house to play that with what.
Speaker 1: I used to play Burnout Revenge. I used to watch them crash cars for like hours and hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all.
Speaker 4: I don't think none of that was the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, man, ladies and gentlemen. You asked for it, you got it.
Speaker 2: The four years red linn Manuel Miranda episode of Quest Love Supreme. We thank you very much for joining us on behalf of Team Supreme. Uh Laya Sugar, Steve, Finn, Tickeelo and Bill's Bill.
Speaker 4: Bill.
Speaker 1: It's the best name ever. Please call me in there you go, boy, all right, this Quest Loves signing off. We will see you the next go round. Thank you very much, Lynn, We appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 1: Must Love Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.