Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 1: Welcome to acodop and here a podcast where sometimes the here is the world's largest democracy, and that I think I'm actually not sure how many Americans are aware of it. This is, in fact India a very basic democracies around the world.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're calling either to the US or India the world's largest democracy, you've got to put an asterisk.
Speaker 1: There. We'll get to that land of asterisks, Age of asterisks. Yeah, with you to talk about the age of asterisks and maybe how to get out of it is Robert Evans. Yeah, yeah, astressing on that too.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: Oh boy? And I'm mea long a guess asterisk there too. Sure, I don't know, I got nothing, I got nothing. Well, what are we talking about today?
Speaker 3: Maya.
Speaker 1: We are talking about the fact that a couple of weeks ago in India, protesters managed to accomplish something that is unprecedented in the twelve year reign of Indian Prime Minister and enemy of the show, the butcher a Gujarat himself one Prime Minister Modi Narindra Modi, thank you very much. Yep, hate him Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the entire time he has been in power, no one has successfully been able to manage to force him to make a countet member resign. No, and protesters just did this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the first.
Speaker 2: It's not the first, because there was the most recent set of elections didn't go great for him. But this is like the biggest break in his armor we've seen since the Modi regis kind of clanked into place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to understand sort of what that means, we need to talk a bit about why Robert was like, yeah, asterisk, that's a democracy on both this in the US, Yeah, which is that? So Modi's ruling party is the BJP, and I would classify the BJP as the world's largest fascist party. It has a horrifying one hundred and forty million members.
Speaker 3: Jesus Age Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not good, very bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's also like not the only ultra right wing Hindi nationalist party in India. There are also others. So yeah, great, great things happening here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why you've had ethnic cleansings against Muslims and other non Hindu groups and chunks of India over the Modi years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they've been in power like effectively uncontested. I mean, they didn't do great and last lections, but they held on to power and they've been in power for twelve years now, during which they have both transformed Indian politics and also just continue to get more and more right wing.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: There's something I think is worth mentioning with the BJP, which is that it's not like most political parties, even fascist ones, in that it's not like it's a political party that like developed a paramilitary right. The VJP was developed as the political wing of, you know, a very very far right, anti Muslim like Hindu nationalist parabilitary group called the RSS, which was responsible for a whole bunch of absolutely hideous crimes even before the BJP took power or even existed. So again, like this is a ruling party that is like the political wing of a parabilitary not the other way around. And it's been running India for twelve years. And as Robert sort of mentioned before, the BJP has faced some challenges to their power. They've also faced large scale protest movements before, most notably sort of the Farmer's protests in twenty twenty and then twenty twenty four, which were about attempts to implement right wing market reforms to India's like agricultural markets. But they've successfully been able to maintain this policy of just refusing to dismiss government ministers in the face of protests until now. So what has actually been happening. Yeah, so these protests have been rallying under the banner of I guess kind of a meme organization or meme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it started as a as a joke, right, yeah, yeah, it's it's called the Cockroach johnta party which is named after these comments.
Speaker 1: They were made by India's Chief Justice of like the Indian Supreme Court, calling young unemployed people quote parasites and cockroaches.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of a reversal of like the Hillary Clinton deplorables comment where this this person in politics uses a derogatory nickname to refer to a group of people he's opposed to, and they kind of take it on as a badge of honor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and because it's fascist, right right, it's also yeah fascist, the Chief Justice Supreme Court is calling them cockroaches. Jesus Christ. Yeah, this party is like obviously a joke. It's like CJP, like cockroach instead of BJP, et cetera, et cetera. That the main focus of these protests are a series of scandals in India's education system, and it feels kind of redundant to say, like, oh, yeah, like what kind of education do you get? Has a huge amount of you know, sort of determinants in like what your life turns out to be and what your economic conditions turns out to be in a sort of more intense version of like the way that American sanitized testing works. But there are a bunch of these sanitized tests that you take that can determine a whole bunch about what your future is going to be. And I think mostly obviously there have been a couple of big scandals recently, but the most famous one is called the neat scandal. NEAT and EATS is basically it's India's like pre med exam. Basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's this huge exam that everyone who wants to go into pre med has to take and get a certain grade on, as I understand it, basically, Yeah, So it's one of these especially for kids like aren't rich. It's like a massive barrier that you have to get past if you want to like have a better life.
Speaker 1: Basically. Yeah, And these tests, and specifically the MET in particular. I mean, this is just the one if you want to become a doctor. But like you know, there's a huge number of people taking these tests. I'm going to quote from al Dazeira, nearly two point three million test takers across India and at examination centers in Doa, Dubai, Singapore and Kampman Dou appeared for the NEAT this year on May third, battling out for less than one hundred and thirty thousand spots in medical colleges. So a very small percentage of the of these of these two point three million people who are taking this test can even possibly get a score good enough to get them into a very small number of spots in these medical colleges and then it turns out for this year's test that the answers to the test had been leaked aheat of time and were being like sold on a telegram channels. Yeah, and this turns into a massive scandal and the government for us the students to take the test again, and this is a complete disaster. Eleven students died by suicide as result of it.
Speaker 3: Good God, it's really.
Speaker 2: Bad because it's like a mix of everything you've heard about. Particularly in Southeast Asia. You've got a lot of like pressure as a kid to do well in exams like this because there's not both for cultural leases and because there's not other ways legally to like get those jobs if your family is not rich. And also the people whose families are rich, like often can pay to get the answers ahead of time, which is what the leak of this shows, right, Like the fact that it leaks out is because people's rich kids are getting these yeah. Well, and and also like if you're rich enough, you can send your kid to like a private college right right, that too, you know, but if you're a working class kids, you cannot afford one of these one of these private universities. Yeah, and so your only way in is through these tests exactly. And these tests are also you know, they're like they're like a huge sort of extraction engine inside of the Indian economy where like, you know, one of the things that Alda Zerra talks about is the story of this twenty one year old kid who is one of the people who died by suicide, who in order to get through these tests, you have to go through these like massive extremely expensive coaching centers effectively in order to study enough for it. And these things are these things are really expensive to the point where this kid's family like sold their ancestral lands in order to be able to pay for test coaching so this kid could become a doctor. And she had passed the test after like not getting high enough scores like the previous two times, and then he had to take it again. There are stories like this all over India and it's just a nightmare. Yeah, so much of this too shouldn't be separated from the broader issues gen Z and Jin's Alpha are having all over the world, right, Yeah, like this is part of that. Like this is we are fucked. We have no way of making it in the economy. You've left us and one of the tiny slim slippers of a way to get ahead is just a scam too, Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: They should be pissed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like it's particularly intense in Indio because there's a story recently that CNN was talking about where there's a study that showed that there's a forty percent unemployment rate for graduates under the age of twenty five. Good god, that is nightmarish. That's end of civilization kind of shit. Like any sane government would be worried about a revolution in these conditions. Those are the kind of unemployment levels that got you the Arab spring, right, Like, yep, that's how this stuff happens. And Facebook, yeah, and Twitter, I guess yeah, well yeah, Facebook playing both sides on that one.
Speaker 3: Sha I roan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a variety of foreign intelligent agencies from all over the world, a lot of things like yeah, a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and speaking of things that have a lot of problems that the education system as well, like there's other issues with it. Right, the BJP, again, they've been in power for twelve years, so they've installed a bunch of RSS guys, like in the Department of Education, and so you get this curriculum that in something that I think is very familiar to Americans, where you're just getting all of this right wing nationalist bullshit just like attempting to be pumped into the education system. They're doing that too. Yeah, and conditions over this are bad enough that yeah, people take to the streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as they should and did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's I don't know, like a lot of the stuff reading this, it was like, oh, I've like I've like been in this protest like so so originally these originally the protests are not that large in scale. But there's there's a big march on like July twentieth that's, you know, like a march at the Parliament and there's a giant police attack on it. That's an attempt at crush and movement entirely, and it doesn't work. It does exactly the opposite. It has, you know, a very very familiar pattern of a bunch of people watch like a bunch of actual literal children who are protesting, like the answers to the test got sold to a bunch of rich kids. Then they get the shit beat out of it. This suddenly like accelerates the protest massively and massively increases the number of people who are in the streets, and you know, this eventually does the unthinkable, which has forced the government to make the Minister of Education resign, and they're also able to get some reforms. The multi government in theory says it's going to address like some of the kind of like bureaucratic things around why it's so easy to get these questions. They also promise not to arrest any of the protesters, a thing that is never true. They are every single time you promise this, they are always lying.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But is also the thing that a government does when it is scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a sign that they know they can't start talking about cracking heads from the jump.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. And I think we're going to get a bit into more of the reason why the government was so alarmed about this later. But one of the things where I think this probably unfortunately was good strategic timing by the government is that these were these protests were sort of like crystallizing into these more general like antimody protests, and by sort of heading it off at the past here over an issue where like in theory, the BJP also wants the tests to work normally although obviously this does beg the question like, okay, so if it's government officials who are selling the answers to the tests, like who is running the governments? Yeah, which is you know, another part of this and another thing that is a part of this is these products and services.
Speaker 3: Robert, Oh, god, I love a good product and a good service.
Speaker 1: Ugh, we're back.
Speaker 2: We're filled with the bounty of products and services, and we're ready to hear more about the cockroach Janta.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So again kind of very familiar to a lot of protests that we have seen over our lives. These are very very social media driven protests in a way that's also similar to a lot of the protests that have been happening in actually, I mean particularly in neighboring regions protesting like Bangladesh and Shri Laka, et cetera, et cetera. And you know, if if you watch any of like the Instagram reels or whatever from these, god, I don't know, it's it's so just depressingly familiar in a lot of ways where it's it's very funny reading people talking about this because they're like, ah, it's these like irony meme driven you know, like kids making these like irony meme driven things about like getting the shit beaten out of by riot police and like, you know, it's like people doing fit checks and then like getting like beaten with batons, and it's like, oh, yeah, okay, we've all been there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've been having a very like I'm feeling old moment these because it's like, oh god, I remember these from like twenty thirteen when we were doing the same shit, And.
Speaker 2: Well that's one of the tough things too as you get older, is both you know, and this is less the case when we're talking about a foreign movement, because I don't think I have any ability to influence that. When you're talking to like younger activists, it's a mix of wanting to like let them know about the pitfalls and problems that previous generations have encountered when you see them, you know, kind of heading in that same direction, and also not wanting to be like, well, just because I'm burnt out doesn't mean you should because I mean I should, Yeah, Like you shouldn't be excited about this thing just because I can't get excited anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like, you know, and that's always the thing with these kind of protests. It's like sometimes you win, yeah, and sometimes you win and there's there's never God. David Graeber had this quote I forget who.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I know the one you're talking about where he's he's talking about like the dealing with.
Speaker 1: Like the surprise of victory. Oh, I was actually gonna do a different one. Oh, okay, that one's also good. But he had this quote with a revolutionary in from the twenty eleven like uprising there, and you know, she had this quote where it was like, you do these protests all the time, and sometimes thirty people show up and you're depressed, and sometimes one hundred people show up and you know, you're really happy, and then one day, eight hundred thousand people show up and you kind of forgot that could happen. Yeah, And that's kind of what this is, right, where it's like, yeah, that's that's exactly how it goes.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It starts as like a bit from a dude who's not even in India at the time, right, he's at a school in the US and he and so he just makes this kind of meme page and it takes off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then suddenly you know you actually have part of this is also like weird stuff about how algorithms work, but like part of what's been happening here too is that there's been a huge shift in the regime in India's ability to control social media, which something they've been very very good at up until this point. They've been really good at controlling both sort of online discourse and also have taken almost complete control over just the regular mainstream media and these protests, and like the way that people are just sort of casually being like hey, fit check going out to a protest, and like the way that the self spread algorithmically, and the way that you know, you have people going out for protest stuff. Then that also mixes with is you know, people who are going out just to film it for like their Instagram reels and it, but all of them, all of them end up like in the streets, and you get the situation where like the mainstream media is just like absolutely refuses to talk about the protest whatsoever. But then you know, if you're like on Instagram, you're on any social media site, it's the only thing you're seeing. And this kind of weakens the control that the BGP has been able to maintain. Over all of these spaces. Yeah, but that doesn't mean that like they've you know, lost control completely. You know, the BGP is like kind of in their counterattack phase right now, and you get a really bleak look at how like right wing governments with longstanding sort of right wing online basis and media bases work where they do these like harassment campaigns as women who went out protesting they share do. Yeah, it's like it's all the stuff that you're familiar with, right, Like they'll show clips if people like on news channels and then people will like dogs them and like start stalking them and they get threats and.
Speaker 2: Yeah I've heard people had to like hide and stuff. Yeah, especially like female activists while they were during the protests.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's also you know, it's like it's like large scale threats to sexual violence are yep, a very common part of this. And that's god, yes, you know, that's like how these people are able to maintain power. But even as this sort of digital kind of attack is happening and it's extremely brutal and it's really a mess, the control of the mainstream media is also slipping. One of the things I learned, like reading about this is there's a term that I guess generally kind of like opposition people are using with the protesters also used where they call they call the like the mainstream press, like goaty media, which is like it's like lap in Hindi. So it's it's basically like calling them like lapdog media instead of being watchdogs, which I love. I don't know, I like it a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did too.
Speaker 1: That's great. It's like it's good. I don't know, I don't I don't know exactly how to steal that for us, but I love it. It's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should be thinking about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But part of the problem with with having you know, this kind of like incredible degree of like media centralization that the regime has been able to pull together is that, you know, after being in power for so long, having their narrative be like completely hegemonic for so long, they're running into like the cracks, you know, these sort of cracks forming in their nationalist messaging, because like they're running into the fundamental problem that you can't eat national pride. And so if if literally the entire media all the time is trying to ignore that these protests are happening, and then also was telling you that your country is great and like modi is great and you're such a world great world leader. But then you know you can't feed your family. That that's actual problem. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, and like and like normally the way that nationalists would sort of deal with this is to be like, yeah, you don't have jobs and your economy sucks because of like some either immigrant group or in this case, it would sort of like shuld probably be doing this with Muslims, but they've been in power for so long that it's like kind of hard to do that because it's like this is your country now, right, like you have taken control of it. And yet Yeah, and this kind of feeds into this, you know, question at a broader level about what these protests are actually about, because on a very basic level, they're about education perform and they're about these tests, and they're about the education system as a whole. But on a broader level, it's more complicated because these protests, as you know, protests often do function as a sort of aggregator of different kinds of struggle with you know, different beliefs and motivations, and you get a whole bunch of different kinds of people in the street. I want to read this quote from an interview Frontline India did with the guy who was the founder of the CJP, which is to say, just like the guy who made the meme that went viral.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that is how he got the job, so to speak. And he's done a really good job, by the way, Like I think he's been really responsible. Yeah, he could not have anticipated this happening, but he seems to be really dedicated to the cause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I want to quote him here talking about what the ideology of this party, if it existed, would be. The ideology of the CJP and many of our young people are also very progressive, liberal, secular, will be secular, democratic and socialist, and we strive for social justice. And he also mentions three people that he's you know, he's he's inspired by, and two of them I think are kind of not particularly surprising given this kind of like this is kind of what like secular, progressive democratic key politics look like, which is he mentions Gondi and Nehru. But what's interesting and what I haven't seen literally at all in any other coverage at this protest, is that the third person that he mentions is Ambedkar, which, yeah, I assume you, having been there and spend a deep amount of time in India, I assume you know who Ambedkar is. No, no, no, I don't know. Really interesting, okay, not in a meaningful way. Now, this is actually kind of a good proxy. I assume people listening to the show know who Gandhi is. You've probably at least heard of Nehru. Yeah, who was the first trime Minister of India. Yeah, Ambitcar is a lot less well known. He's another one of the very important sort of independence era figures in India. But he is the guy around which like the anti cast movement rallies was it?
Speaker 3: Was he in the fifties or sixties.
Speaker 1: No, he like first starts this in like the like the twenties and thirties, and then he's alive through independence. Oh okay really that era? Yeah yeah, yeah, he's he's around like in the era of like revolutionary struggle against the British creed independence yeah yeah, yeah, and then he, you know, he like survives through independence and gets to see some of that.
Speaker 2: The partition of India and all that good stuff. Yeah, all the fun things happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is a period, you know, if you look at like the nineteen ten's, twenties thirties, this is a period both about the anti colonial struggle and then also like what the struggle is going to be, right, Like, who's whose vision of India is going to come out of a post independence world if there is one? And Mbitkar's thing here is yes, like we want like we want independence and we want socialism because you know, a lot of the people of the like Neighbory is technic, is like a kind of socialist right, like a lot of a lot of the independence activists are. But he's also in a position of we need to get rid of the cast system because he sees it as like correctly, as like an incredibly powerful sort of force of oppression in Indian society. And he thinks that that's not something that they should like wait until independence to deal with. And so he's a very very important like leader in the anti cast movements and he's probably I think he's probably just like their best known intellectual. I would really recommend reading his book, The Annihilation of Cast. Well, I say book, it's like not that it's not that long, yeah, Like it's probably my favorite thing I've read and from the writers of that era. It's an address that he's making basically to both I guess you'd call it like more conservative pro in dependence activists and then also to the socialists to be like, hey, you should also talk about cast at the same time you're talking about British oppression and also class. The CJP founder like mentions this because he's from a low cast background and he goes like, yeah, like no, like I wouldn't have been able to go to school in the United States and like have the successes that I've had in my life without ambicar. I thought this was really interesting because it's not mentioned in any other reporting, even though it's like in an interview he's said, and also, I think this is a dynamic here that is like not well understood in most places, that like, this is a still operative system of oppression that people are still fighting against, and that is, you know, relevant enough to be like one of the things that gets mentioned by the guy who starts this movement. And that's not to say the rest of the movement like necessarily is exactly this focused on it, which is one of the parts of this movement that's both why it succeeded and also one of the kind of messy parts of it, right, is that on the one hand, this has become a really powerful vehicle for these sort of like broadly secular like pro democracy, like anti Moody, anti dictatorship students, and there's always been like a fairly large like cohort of you know, sort of like young left leaning or leftist students. I mean, there was a whole i don't know what you'd call it, like social panic slash government purge against this idea of like quote unquote urban Naxles, which was supposed to be like oh, there's like these like urban versions of like the Naxal like communist guerrillas that are in the universities, which is, you know, in a lot of ways, very similar to but a significantly more advanced and repressive version of the stuff that like you see the Trump administration doing in the US education system and the sort of like witch hunts so for you know, Palestine and stuff like that. So you know, you have that group of sort of like center left and leftist students to where a lot of people who started the protest movement, but also there's also just like BJP kids, Yeah, who are in the streets because they're like, yeah, like we all got fucked in our tests.
Speaker 3: Because it's bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same reason.
Speaker 2: Now you've got a decent chunk at least like a third of the twenty or something percent of the people who voted for Trump in twenty twenty four are more people who'd voted for Biden or for Hillary a few years earlier. Right, there are people who maybe they went for this guy, but as soon as it stops working for them, as soon as like the fascist and missn't delivering what it promises, they'll get pissed, they'll get out wide up with the streets. Yeah, you don't have to like them to recognize that as a phenomenon.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a kind of like third phenomenon too, which is as these protests go on, you get more and more of different kinds of like both rural and urban workers, more urban workers and real workers. But this but this is you know, the thing about education protests at their core is that this is something that cuts across like rural urban divides to an extent in the sense that like both poor rural kids and poor urban kids are still getting fucked by this, you know, like by the exam system. But then you know, you get workers starting to join it who also have these I think, I don't know the way that commentators talk about it is that they're unconnected. I think they're a lot more connected than that. But you know, you get you get you get these workers with these like cost of living crisis concerns who who are also joining this protest. And I guess part of this is a girl who spent a lot of time studying and writing about ten. But this is kind of the exact class composition of Timen and how those protests unfold. It where you have its origins in like this, in this specific student movement thing that has kind of specific student movement grievances that then you know, goes into the streets around their specific demands, and then everyone watches them get the ship beaten out of them, and that brings more and more people into the streets who have their own kind of specific demands around like the economic conditions they're in. And this is a very common like composition for revolts. I mean, it's it's the basis of everything from like I mean, god like it's part of the basis of the French Revolution. You can look at like May sixty eight, Like, you know, so there are revolts against Pinochet, Like I mean, occupy is like a lot to a large extent, like this class base, right, if you have a bunch of students who are very concerned about debt, and then that brings in a bunch of more working class people who are like not students anymore. But that's also what makes it dangerous. It's a very old kind of alliance, and it's a kind of alliance that can always materialize because students and poor workers are some of the first people to feel when the economic ties are shit, and that like constantly creates these kind of uprisings, right, and you know, they're dangerous enough that if you look at the last thirty years of Chinese politics, a whole bunch of the politics of modern China are about specifically making sure that this exact coalition doesn't form again. So you know, when the old working class is sort of crushed with the like remains the welfare state in the nineties, like, there's a very deliberate attempt to buy off the students at the same time to make sure, they never make common cause, and like any time you've seen sort of student worker actions since then, there's this massive crackdown on it because the Chinese government understands that this is this is a very very dangerous political coalition, and it's a political coalition that has outlasted I mean literally like a lot of the like working classes that were originally in these uprisings, like the French revolutionary like artis in class, like that doesn't exist anymore, right, Like the industrial working class in like France or like Italy in the sixties, like that also doesn't exist anymore, but you still see this like specific configuration of classes doing these protest movements. Yeah, there's obviously always a lot of different motivations, and conflict against the state tends to be the thing that can like solidify a kind of identity that allows you to do any kind of mass movements, right Like this is like one of the few things that can you know, fighting the police and having the state repress you, and that having the states as a force you can fight against concretely that just appears when you oppose it is one of the things that makes these kinds of protest movements work and then also underneath that the economy is broken in a lot of the ways you saw like in like twenty eighteen and twenty nineteen, which is like I think the last big cycle of these mass protests where you have this economic instability. And what I think is particularly similar between now and like twenty eighteen was that technically speaking, if you look at the economy in India right now, as as long as you ignore the youth unemployment rate, it looks like the economy is growing. Things are good. Yeah, yeah, it's like the same thing as the US, where it's like, well, I mean, the economic indicators have been getting worse, but like you know, technically speaking, it looks like the US economy is growing, but if you're living under it, it's like, no, it's not. And there's all of these sort of cracks and ripples in the global economy. In twenty eighteen was like this where like the American economy was like doing fine, and a lot of like the major economies were in theory doing fine. But then you know, there was a series of currency like crises and like there were like these economic collapses. Yeah, there's like this hyperinflation in Turkey. You get these things in like Chile, and then you know, you start seeing these protests, you get like Haiti get the yellow ves, you see like Hong Kong Lebanon a rock god, like Iran, or for the first time of this giant cycle of protests in Iran me and Maar, like even like Russia briefly goes up. And I'm bringing this up to say that like one of the things about a protest like this, right, and there's been several other ones who are very big protests in Indonesia over the last couple of months. These protests often a recur and b are in some ways an early warning signal before like there's going to be another giant round of these kind of protests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean hopefully all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think there's a decent chance of it because like you know, the economy still hasn't like hit rock bottom yet, no, and in the way that like you know, you saw that in twenty twenty where like, yeah, the bottom finally fell out of the economy with COVID.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, maybe this is putting it a little bit too strongly, but like the people who do not like the regime at particularly the activists have like tasted a little blood now, Yeah. Yeah, Like it's really hard once people win, once a movement wins, for it to not try to keep winning, right, That's kind of a natural instinct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and the BJP is is, you know, obviously doing its best to do to supper this, yeah, to suppress or co opt yeah. Yeah. But the problem that they're facing is is the fundamental problem of all of the regimes everywhere, which is that, like it's a lot harder to maintain one of these kinds of regimes when you have been in power for a long time and suddenly the economy implodes. And that's coming for India the same way that's coming for the rest of the world. And also in very specific ways of like you know, we've talked about I talked about on this show elsewhere, the effects of the blockade of the Stradiformus has been devastating in India in a way that it hasn't been in the US.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And you know, you also have like heat waves that are also you know, both economically and just like living devastating. There was an expression in the Hong Kong protest that they were drawing from a Mao quote but also it's way older than Mao, as like Mao says in the thing where he says it. But the Hong Konger has had this line that like a single spark can start a prairie fire. And the thing about the Indian economy is it is throwing sparks off everywhere. Sure, and that doesn't mean that every individual spark is going to be the one that starts the fire. But it means that as as you continue to get more and more sparks, the odds that you see another one of these revolts increases, and hopefully the odds that one of these protests in one of these movements can finally knock off the fascists and yeah, fundamentally transform Indian society rises.
Speaker 3: Yep, or at least get mody out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just at a bare minimum. You know, I'll take the minimum if that's what it is. Oh God, Okay, Well, thank you Miya, and thank you the cockroach Janta over in India.
Speaker 6: Good work.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, y'all, that is actually really nice to see.
Speaker 1: Fucking rocks. Give them hell of you.
Speaker 7: Welcome to it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. The past few weeks I've been covering the midterm primaries and the battle between the left and the establishment for the future of the Democratic Party. As evidence just this month in Michigan and Wisconsin, left populism continues to be.
Speaker 1: On the rise.
Speaker 7: A few weekends ago, the Democratic Socialists of America held their national organizing conference, the Socialist Summit, in Chicago, Illinois. I did not attend the Socialists Summit because instead I wanted to check in on the other side of the isle. So last month I went down to Washington, d C. To attend the New Liberal Action Summit, or, as it's affectionately referred to by attendees, Globe con named after the blue globe emoji used by liberals on Twitter, symbolizing globalism, free trade, free market capitalism, liberal immigration, and yimbiism. The New Liberal Action Summit was a three day event, with one main conference day filled with panels featuring policy makers, fireside chats with liberal politicians, and networking opportunities for young liberals who share a passion for center left policies. I went to eight of the fourteen panels. One of the first panels was on energy policy, featuring two former politicians turned fossil fuel lobbyists. Next, Representative Don Bayer spoke about the need for AI regulation. A panel of policy advisors discussed why quote unquote slopulist tax proposals are stupid. Representative Richie Torres promoted abundance. Congressional representatives from the New Democrat Coalition had a panel about how their caucus is fighting back against DSA, and I listened into a live recording of Francis Fukuyama's podcast. Abundance was probably one of the most frequently used words at the conference. There was a big focus on building, housing, zoning reform, permit streamlining, and a lot of speakers were nervous about the growing anti tech backlash and the public support for data center moratoriums. Interestingly, most panelists and attendees were impressed by Zoramamdani's reign thus far but still very oppositional to stuff like wealth taxes, the rent freeze, populism in general, DSA as an organization and their other candidates. About three hundred libs attended the summit last July. They mostly ranged between their early twenties to late thirties. These are econ, POLI, PSI, and law students, young professionals, campaign staffers, influencers, policy wonks, and aspiring policy wonks. Just as the use of the blue globe emoji online was in response to socialists identifying themselves online via the red rose emoji, this whole conference and the org behind it is a response from young ish liberals to rising populism in the United States, and especially the growing influence of the Democratic Socialists of America on the Democratic Party. The New Liberal Action Summit is put on by an organization called the Center for New Liberalism or CNL. CNL is a nonprofit five oh one C four quote digital first grassroots organization dedicated to fighting for liberalism during the age it is most under attack, according to their website. At the summit, they were giving out CNL stickers, which they sell on their website for five dollars. One of the stickers reads quote, we believe in economic growth both through free markets, a robust social safety net, the free flow of people and goods, deregulating barriers to housing and employment, immediate criminal justice reform, a tech optimist society at tax on carbon freedom regardless of gender, age, race, religion, or sexual orientation. Pragmatism over populism, cnliberalism dot org, forward slash join. The Center for New Liberalism claims to have about eleven thousand members and fifty local chapters in cities across the US, though according to their website, cnl's private Slack channel has just about seven hundred dues paying members of the organization. In contrast, DSA is about one hundred and twenty thousand dues paying members. During the summit, I spoke with cnl's deputy director, Tobin Stone, and he told me that the Center for New Liberalism is specifically intending to serve as a counterweight to the DSA. Stone said that the populist right has their own little organizations like TPUSA, the populist left has the DSA, and the Center for New Liberalism wants to be both a political organizational force as well as a social body for young center left liberals who believe in quote unquote lower case L liberalism to meet with each other, organize, and advance their ideas. Stone did admit that most moderate Democrats are kind of dropping the ball right now. The Republicans are super unpopular and voters are expressing all these things around affordability, but moderate Dems have failed to seize this moment. There is a big window open for Democrats, and really the only people taking it are the DSA.
Speaker 8: What we're trying to do is we're trying to say, look, no, we can be central left, moderate, what ever you want to call us, but actually have a real agenda that excites people and offers alternative what the DSA is saying, because none of these a lot of these current moderates, like in some ways we'd rather have them than a DSAY person. At the same time, like the moderates can't just be sitting there doing nothing. They have to be willing to take on the fights, like fight the nimbi's and build more housing because young.
Speaker 9: People can't afford housing anymore.
Speaker 8: So that's what we're trying to do, is like be a counterwait and up for a real alternative.
Speaker 7: About two years ago, CNL Deputy director Tobin Stone told the Columbia Journalism Review quote, were Hillary Clinton Democrats?
Speaker 1: Basically?
Speaker 7: Now that was two years ago, but last month I asked Stone what kind of politicians does CNL want to see taking power?
Speaker 8: They ftterally like you see people like Jake Auchenclass. I think when people hear and talk it residates like he's incredibly smart and he knows how to talk to people and about the issues that they're mad about.
Speaker 7: Jake Auchngloss headlined cnl's opening reception on the first day of the summit. Aucenlass is a Congressional rep from Massachusetts and a former Marine. After Zoramuandani won the Democratic primary last June, Auchenlaus wrote a blog post on Substack, reading, neither democratic socialism nor crony capitalism will deliver financial freedom. I propose a ten word agenda for financial freedom for the middle class. Treat cost disease, reduce the debt, and save social security unquote. Earlier this year, his reelection campaign accepted over twenty five thousand dollars from Pallentier, including seven thousand dollars from Pallenteer's CEO, Alexander Karp. In January twenty twenty three, Auchenclaus was the first Congressman to read an entirely chat GPT generated speech on the House floor. This speech was in support of a bill to create a joint US Israel AI Center for the Development of AI research, and last year Auchenclaus told Politico that it's quote unquote readily apparent that TikTok's algorithm is quote amplifying anti American, anti Israel content disproportionate to its actual frequency. Stone told me, quote, we need more people like Jake Auchencloss and not all of the electeds in this room, but like a lot of the folks here. But also what we're trying to do and eventually want to do is like have our chapters be the group that identifies some potential candidates unquote. Stone also pointed to State Rep. Jasper Martis, who became friendly with CNL through the organization's anti tariff advocacy.
Speaker 8: You want to see what we can do as an organization to help elevate voices like him who can be young, charismatic and is without offering an agenda that we think would do more harmful good on ere or do.
Speaker 7: You see a point where you will not just have to kind of offer an alternative to what the DSA is offering, but but like but in primaries like specifically kind of like like like counter them, like like directly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like that is like part of what we want to do is we have always been and will continue to be willing to get directly into those primaries, whether it's supporting someone we already you know and work with, like it likes to be up here today, or like if someone tries the primary jake out and class, our Boston chapter is absolutely going to be out knocking doors to support him, especially if it's a DSA candidate. But then also, like again, long term, we would love to be able to be the group that can identify the candidates who can run against the tasty. We want to do the work to find those young charis amountic candidates and get them to run again to the DSA.
Speaker 1: Candidate and offer them real trains.
Speaker 8: We really just want to see like organization like five year old feet even bigger. We want to not just be like doing this conference here in DC, but then go over like all over the country and say, like we can go in Denver and host a whole conference in Denver with all of our members of a chapter, yeah, talk and about the work and to elevate the pragmatic politicians in Colorado or New York.
Speaker 7: Late Slantaccorld, the Center for New Liberalism's annual impact report for the election year of twenty twenty four, claimed that the organization made five thousand, five hundred dollars in quote successful campaign contributions and gained one hundred and eighty six new members. That's one hundred and eighty six new members during the year of a highly impactful presidential election. DSA gained over seven thousand members in just the two months after the twenty twenty four election, and since then, DC membership has more than doubled, from fifty thousand to one hundred and twenty thousand members. Just ten years ago, DSA had only five thousand members before Bernie Sanders first presidential campaign, which breathed new life into the organization. But in order to fully understand CNL, you have to understand their deeply online origin, because they essentially internet trolled themselves into something resembling a real political organization. Center for New Liberalism can be traced back to our slash neoliberal on reddit, where after the twenty sixteen election, a new team of moderators tried to grow the subreddit as a place to discuss liberal policy making and free market economics in response to online conversations about politics being dominated by populism, whether from MAGA or the rejuvenated socialist left. Following Bernie's twenty sixteen campaign. These moderators turned the subreddit into an online community of policy wonks discussing economics as well as neoliberal shit posting, in an attempt to compete in the arena of internet politics and make center left liberalism cool and memeable. And I don't know about you, but when I think of cool, the first thing that comes to mind is reddit memes about liberal free market economics. In twenty eighteen, two moderators from this subreddit, Colin Mortimer and Jeremiah Johnson, started to consolidate this loose online community into a real organization called the Neoliberal Project. They started a at neoliberal Twitter account and launched the Neoliberal Podcast. All this neoliberal branding was sort of a troll at the time. Still now, the word neoliberal was mostly used as a pejorative in current political parlance, so the Neoliberal Project's use of the term was almost this form of slur reclamation, a tongue in cheek, semi ironic but largely sincere embrace of neoliberal economic policies. To quote a twenty twenty two article in The Washington Post, quote Carl Nielsen, a twenty four year old aerospace engineer who leads the DC chapter told me his brother turned him onto this neoliberal community a few years ago, and he was immediately smitten.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 7: I was like, dude, this is it, this is where we belong. The memes were fantastic. They were doing a neoliberal shill bracket, which is a Twitter tournament where you vote to determine who's the chief neoliberal shill. That was really easy to get excited about, so I jumped right in.
Speaker 1: Unquote.
Speaker 7: The neoliberal shill bracket on Twitter is like a March Madness style bracket for Twitter users to rank which politicians, columnists, lobbyists, or influencers are the biggest neoliberal shill of the year. This basically amounts to standing figures like Ezracline, Matt Iglesias, Nate Silver, and the streamer Destiny. The Washington Post described the organization as being on quote a quest to bring market friendly moderation into the age of Internet meme politics. In twenty twenty, the Neoliberal Project was absorbed into a centrist think tank called the Progressive Policy Institute. In the announcement, Will Marshall, the president of PPI, said that the Young liberals quote fill a vacuum in our politics for a pragmatically liberal alternative to right wing populism and democratic socialism. Colin Mortimer, the Neoliberal Project's executive director, is quoted in the announcement saying, over the last several years, we have built the Neoliberal Project into an online community of politically engaged young individuals who are pushing back against the ideological extremes that put our country in peril. Now we are proud to join one of the most storied think tanks in the country as we develop and advocate for a radically pragmatic agenda for change our country so so urgently needs.
Speaker 1: Unquote.
Speaker 7: A quick note on the Progressive Policy Institute PPI was founded in the late eighties by the Democratic Leadership Council, when the word progressive referred to center left pragmatism, as opposed to the modern connotation of the term as used by left wing progressives today. In the nineties, PPI functioned as the idea factory of the Clinton administration and was a big part of the shift in the Democratic Party away from New Deal, Great Society redistributive liberalism towards the neoliberal politics of maximizing economic growth that defined the Clinton era. Soon after joining PPI, the Neoliberal Project rebranded into the Center for New Liberalism, displaying some awareness of the massive unpopularity of neoliberalism and that it might actually it be pretty hard to grow a political project under such a banner. CNL co founder Jeremiah Johnson, who also hosts the New Liberal podcast, told The Columbia Journalism Review that neoliberal is a great word to use quote when what you want to do is get in fights on the internet, but it turned out to be less great for recruiting Congress people to their cause. Two years after joining PPI, the Center for New Liberalism started doing their annual New Liberal Action Summit. Twenty twenty six was the fifth year of GLOBECN. The Columbia Journalism Review wrote in twenty twenty four that the Center for New Liberalism is quote Biden's fighters in the meme trenches, doing what they can to make his brand of politics trendy again unquote. The past few years, the Center for a New Liberalism has tried to legitimize itself beyond its Reddit shit posting and humble Twitter troll beginnings. Earlier this year, CNL brought on Greg Schultz as a senior advisor. Schultz was the campaign manager for Joe Biden's twenty twenty presidential primary campaign and general election strategist. What are the aspirations for the New Liberals? Is helping to secure a center leaning candidate for president in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 8: One of our big goals is definitely to influence to our next president and maybe there ends up being a more compromise candidate or what we're saying conference is the wrong word, but like you're seeing right now, like a lot of people are gravit hitting towards us off. If he does end up running like people like him, it's a bit we would rather not see like a further Leck candidate, and we also want to be exceeded. The platform that we run on in twenty twenty eight is not when that sometimes you have to have a lot of opopulance and but like it's kind of like slowly losing the you see right now, we're just like, oh, cut everyone's taxes, Like we want to see like a real concrete platform that doesn't overpromise can be enacted and you can maybe repair people's hope in government again. Senator Bennett talked about it earlier or alluded to it, but like people don't feel like government works anymore. So we want to make sure that the agenda in twenty twenty eight is one about making government work again. Obviously, we have to workshop the message. You figure out what it's gonna appeal to the American people the most, because part of it is like probably superfighting the DASI. We're aware they're going to exist in America, like they're part of the people climate. We don't want to take them away, but we also like think it will be extremely harmful if they're in the driver's seat. They should absolutely have input, but like if they're in the driver's seat, the presidential will like shit, like we're gonna lose again, and we want to make sure that we win because obviously if we lose again to Donald Trump or whoever his sudden era is like, it's not gonna be great for America or the rest of the international art national institutions.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think some of those DSA people would look at centrist candidates going up against Trump in like sixteen twenty four or like you know it's more center leaning that would be.
Speaker 8: Very hesitant to call either of those centrists or the center left. Like if you look at the exit polling data from twenty twenty four. Twenty four, everyone thought Kamala was much further like from the center than Trump, which.
Speaker 1: Is ever good at marketing. But like, yeah, I mean it was not center like you ask anyone in.
Speaker 8: This room who's worked for We all work for a center left modern organization. We will also was not center left. There's a reason we lost in because dinner press serve voters thought for too far to leward, and I means you've heard of two out of touch. I think that's a good right for him out of touch.
Speaker 7: I think it's really important to understand that too far left and too out of touch are vastly different things. And secondly, what is considered quote unquote left is not at all clear. Does left refer to left wing economics, wealthy distribution, or like the sort of performative liberal wokeism that was completely captured by corporations and the elite before being quickly dropped as Trump took back power. Because the recent batch of left wing populists are running on economic policies to make life more affordable, their focus on uplifting workers and the poor would materially improve the lives of large swaths of marginalized populations way more than corporations posting black squares, academic language policing, White House pride events, and Nancy Pelosi wearing a West African kente cloth stole as a scarf. A New York Times pull from May of twenty twenty six found that the majority of Democrats and Democrat lean independence do not want the party to move to the center on healthcare or economic issues, and should embrace economic populism. According to the Times poll, sixty three percent of likely Dems said our political and economic system needs major changes, and twenty percent said it needs to be torn down completely. Eighty eight percent said the economic system in this country is generally unfair to most Americans. Seventy four percent of Dems oppose sending aid to Israel. Most respondents were dissatisfied with the Democratic Party. Ninety one percent had not heard of abundance. Only five percent said the economic conditions were good or excellent, and forty nine percent said they were favorable to socialism versus twenty two percent unfavorable. Only twenty percent of respondents said the Democratic Party was too far to the left, and respondents were evenly split on whether the party in general should move to the center, but most said that the party should move to the left on things like healthcare. A frequent topic of discussion at the New Liberal Action summit was how the Democratic Party can win back quote unquote working class voters and a spoiler. They think it's by moving to the center.
Speaker 10: Something we've talked about at PBA for a long time is looking back as for a non college voters.
Speaker 1: Working class voters.
Speaker 11: We have a new report king assuming that showcases House and.
Speaker 12: Left fines are being a lot better in that regard than their progressive countervice.
Speaker 13: We do a little whole in non college voters working class voters.
Speaker 8: As usual, most of our data says that the people that vote for Zara tend to be heavily college educated, whereas is people without degrees that voting for quota, which the best sweet lens for working custers is not I think it's just has college reread does don't have a college degree.
Speaker 7: The New Liberals believe that DSA is out of step with the working class, and by working class they mean voters without a college degree. Moderates will often point to high profile races like zoron Or Abdul al said, where the more center leaning candidate often quote unquote wins the non college or low income demographic. Now, these wins are often in the single digits. In the Democratic primary, Andrew Cuomo quote unquote one the under fifty k a year income bracket by eight points. Quomo also won the highest income bracket two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in over by eleven points, while Mamdani dominated the middle income brackets. Almost this exact same trend appeared in the Abdul al Said versus Hailey Stevens primary in Michigan. Left wing populist candidates are doing so well with college educated voters, in part because they're just driving such high turnout, especially among millennials and Gen Z. But center left liberals will often use the support of DSA from possibly downwardly mobile college graduates to point towards socialism as this kind of disgruntled elitist phenomenon that's not actually connected with the quote unquote real working class, which again to them, means a voter without a college degree. And while income level or education can be an indicator of class, just defining working class as meaning a voter without a college degree doesn't really make sense nor does it tell you anything about the class interests of voters, because it doesn't actually point to anything regarding their place in the capitalist production process. Just whether or not you have a degree doesn't even point to what your income is, which which is itself kind of a flawed way of understanding what working class means, which in a Marxist sense, refers to whether you live off selling your labor for a wage, that is, being a worker, or if you own private property like business and make your money off of controlling other people's labor. But all that matters to these liberals is voter's proximity to higher education based on looking at election data, where DSA type candidates do very well with college educated voters and maybe don't do as well with what is categorized as a non college educated or maybe sometimes a low income voter, even if the difference is only a few percentage points. The liberal analysis of class simply being whether or not a voter has a college degree offers no insight into why a middle class of educated work are moving in droves towards social democracy or some form of democratic socialism, and are voting for policies that benefit people largely more poor than them, instead of just supporting the center left democrat who would advance elite interests. To this point, I talked with Ben Rose Porter, a professor of sociology at the City University of New York, about why class analysis is important.
Speaker 12: It indicates what your fundamental interests are going to be regarding the politics when it comes to how should the economy, how should our society be oriented. If you are a worker who makes your money by selling your labor, you are interested in a policy that gives labor a fair deal. If you are an owner, your interests are going to be geared oppositely. They're going to be geared towards capital, towards ownership of private property and the making of profit being protected against the interests of life, labor. And so this is the conception of class that I think paints a much more lucid picture of the world then one that just sort of treats, you know, the poorer you are, the more working class you are. It's absolutely true that the base of the working class is always the poor relatively speaking. I mean, the bottom strata of the working class is its source of power, and it's the better paid workers who, while you know, they are in a theoretical sense in the working class. They often are the ones who are comfortable with capitalist production because they're being compensated fairly well. But again it's a kind of analysis that can't comprehend the liberal view cannot really comprehend how college educated people who may be securing somewhat you know, decent middle class jobs, they can't understand how they are also a part of the working class and respond to the economic squeeze that happens when capital rules the economy, when capital is so unquestioned by its liberal administrators that it just it squeezes the whole of the working class.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and there's these certain moments with like technological advance like you're seeing with like AI that lead to the de skilling of certain workers. Right the past twenty years, adults have been telling kids to just learn coding. Yeah, work in tech. This is like the last growth area of the economy.
Speaker 1: Learn coding.
Speaker 7: And now those skills are not as useful as they used to be because AI can do it. And there's this like proletarianization of tech workers happening that just this like liberal model. The working class then can't real understand why whise people are going to be turned against liberalists.
Speaker 12: Capital produces its own grave diggers marx rights in the manifesto right that, you know, the socialist projects sees that there is a fundamental antagonism in the capitalist mode of production, not only in that capital appropriates exploits workers. The capitalist class survives parasitically by squeezing the worker. That's fundamental to the capitalist system. Not only that, but it also is continually growing the working class. It's constantly pushing people out of their positions of property, but also out of positions of skilled labor into you know, having to move down into proletarianized positions where you are not going to be paid as much. And by constantly doing this, it's building a class that goes against it.
Speaker 6: It's the socialist.
Speaker 12: Project which recognizes those antagonisms inherent in the capitalist mode of production, and it is the liberal project that is utterly blind to them that just to the liberals, no capitalism is good. It increases GDP, right, it leads to economic growth. These antagonisms do not exist to the extent that you can show them to them. They absolutely refuse to acknowledge them or else to understand how they are fundamental to the capitalist system, and so they have no answer to this. You can see how these people who are themselves sort of like intellectual, you know, sycophants to the liberal institutions, they perceive like, well, if you're smart and you have the right policies and you believe the right things, you'll get taken care of. It's a very different experience from I think a lot of college grads who have tried very hard to do the right things and who do not have a place in the economy, or a very limited place with very limited power and very limited resources.
Speaker 7: While Andrew Cuomo slightly outperformed Mamdani among the lowest income voters in the twenty twenty five Democratic primary come the general election in November, that ceased to be the case. In the general, Mamdanni won low income districts by eleven points, to quote the New York Times quote, Mamdani largely expanded on the base he built during the primary in neighborhoods across the city. He swept communities of every income level save for New York's wealthiest enclaves, where his top opponent, former Governor Andrew Cuomo, performed best unquote in the November general. Donnie also won districts where less than twenty percent of the residents have a college degree by thirteen points, though a CNN exit poll of less than five thousand voters showed that Cuomo did just five percent better than Mamdani with voters without a college degree. I think it is also worth reiterating that one out of ten people who voted for Zorn in twenty twenty five also voted for Trump in twenty twenty four. That's something that liberals never talk about, And something else they never talk about is just how much these non college low income statistics graf ont age. More than anything else, both Mamdani and Abdul al Sayid overwhelmingly won with voters aged eighteen to forty five, young people who are low income, who maybe have not graduated college or are in college, or maybe just graduated college but are it's all low income. Those young people are backing DSA candidates. Those young people are not going to Andrew Cuomo in the general election or the primary election. The sort of low income voters that are going towards either these incumbents or more traditional moderate candidates are generally older voters. And if we want to have a real discussion on how the DSA can appeal to older voters, maybe voters who are not as politically engaged as younger voters. Then yeah, that is a real discussion to be had. But just breaking that down as DSA does not attract low income voters is just completely not true. Many low income people without a college degree are old retirees who tend to vote more conservative, even if they're registered Democrats. Another factor is the effectiveness of ad spending. Abdul said was outspent eleven to one, and that is going to have an effect on the election results. Blanketing the airwaves with misleading attack ads can be hugely impactful in rural areas and districts with low information or less engaged voters. This same general trend happened in the June twenty twenty six Democratic primary in New York City. That election was not divided by income or race. The largest indicator that skewed whether someone was backing the incumbent or the DSA was age. By and large, Younger voters, whether they were middle class or lower working class, backed the DSA candidates like Clare val Dez, while older voters backed the incumbents, the moderates, and the establishment politicians that these voters were maybe more familiar with that maybe has been representing their district for anywhere between five to thirty years. But what makes this whole college educated working class debate so absurd to me is that most of the city based Center for New Liberalism chapters don't even seem interested in trying to appeal to the voters that they think DSA is overlooking, like that if.
Speaker 8: The DSA can only appeal to the people in the college there, that's seventy sixty to seventy percent of voters that we are missing and we need to do better than that.
Speaker 7: Do you think that the New Liberals should be going after like a totally different voting block and what DSA is trying to go after.
Speaker 8: I don't know if that's our role. Like most of our chapters do operate in cities where it is more college educated things there are our role we view as like trying to convince the college educating people that we have the better ideas in the more optimistic vision, whereas then it's other groups like if we have a chapter in Swing district, obviously that's for PUAL that like our chapter in San Francisco is going to be focused on not that. Yeah yeah, yeah, So like I think there are groups in the stuff that should be doing that. I don't know, but our role.
Speaker 7: So CNL has already foreclosed themselves to really only going after college educated voters, despite insisting that their ideas are what actually can appeal to the working class. In evaluating the political potential of the Center for New Liberalism, one must keep in mind how their online shit posting origins still influences their ideological outlook. If you recall, CNL describes itself as a quote unquote digital first grassroots organization, and on their website they claim, quote our work reaches upwards of sixty million people a month. That number seems to be almost entirely based on the impressions from their account on x the Everything app. These are Twitter views. So as much as CNL likes to put on their little in person networking events their own metrics, the organization is essentially a glorified Twitter account. And I could just go through years of bad or offensive tweets, and many people at the summit were very concerned about old tweets made by DSA candidate Daria Liisa of Ila Chavier, But rather than focusing on posting, I would prefer to engage with the actual substance of their politics and how CNL is trying and failing to place itself in opposition to the DSA, in part because of how much it's focused on online edge lord contrarian liberalism. For whatever reason, be it their upbringing, class position, or type of education, these liberals have not hopped on the populist train, but still feel left doubt from the rest of their age peers who are all having fun with DSA, and so they have decided to define themselves in opposition to populism. It's a reactionary liberalism in response to the growing influence of democratic socialism in the Democratic Party. So, in effect, their new liberal politics largely manifests itself as a form of contrarianism against popular left wing policies, while also continuously reiterating to themselves that left wing ideas aren't actually popular with the working class. It's a politics entirely downstream from trolling online. In an attempt to make center left liberals cool again, I went to a bar after the summit with a few of the attendees and a law student was passionately trying to argue why we should abolish FEMA as a federal agency and just have states pay for their own disaster response so that quote unquote, my tax dollars won't have to go towards idiots in Florida, And like both myself and a writer from the journal Liberal Currents had to explain from like first principles why it's good to care for poor people and care about it general public good. That's what I mean by contrarian liberalism. The Bay Area chapter of the New Liberals were involved with that pro billionaire march in San Francisco earlier this year in protest of California's proposed wealth tax, and stunts like this. March for billionaires is another perfect example of cnl's overly online, irony poisoned politics, which still display a deeper sincerity. Before I interviewed Professor Porter, I had him listen to a recent episode of the New Liberal podcast, hosted by the co founder of CNL, Jeremiah Johnson. The episode argued that liberalism is in crisis, but because there is no more great struggle in America. Basically, the economy is doing too good and that's triggered a sort of post modern crisis of meaning, resulting in voters sabotaging our own political system just to feel something, and confusingly, cnl's co founder proposes a centrist neoliberal technocracy as a way out of this crisis.
Speaker 12: The guy on the podcast is talking about technocrats and how one of the central liberal you know, programs of like a revived liberalism has to be like kind of you know, technocratic politics and a renewed like faith in technocratic politics. And I thought technocratic politics was very interesting because you know, the point that like you need technocrats to do good policy, to do good governance is a bit of an odd one because absolutelytly you need technicians to do good policy, like you know, complex social institutions at the scale of like you know, a city or a state or a federal government in today's world. You need people who know how to run systems and who are trained. You need intellectuals. You need technicians in a general sense, right, you need specialized people. What's interesting is that the whole thing allies like the crat part like technocrat the idea that well, those with technical capacities also rule this way in which it just completely conflates the idea of technical expertise and decision making at the highest level right, that it doesn't even think that those are two separate realms. It literally is the people who can technically do the job are also the people who should make all of decisions about what kinds of jobs we do, how the whole system functions, right, which essentially on this notion that there is only one game, right that you know in the podcast you hear a lot is essentially you know, the unspoken aim, And for them it doesn't need to be spoken, because as they conceive the world, it is the only real game to be played is economic growth, right, is just growing the GDP machine, capital growth, capital accumulation. They do not entertain the question of what kind of a society do we want to build? Their main drive is GDP growth, and so everything else is just sort of how do you technically do that best? Right, how do you improve productivity? How do you grow the economy best? They have no concept of like that there's any kind of like political battle at the heart of that. It's a view of politics without politics.
Speaker 7: Many of the attendees at the New Liberal Action Summit, we're aspiring technocrats often self described as such. I think the main tendency among these overly online center less liberals is to confuse technical knowledge for politics for the ability to govern. They display this deep failure to question authority, not just in like an authoritarian sense, but the authority of what is true or useful knowledge. To the contrarian liberal technocrat, something like rent control is not just bad, but it's actually evil because it disrupts the market. It unnaturally alters supply and demand. And here's all these studies proving this.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 7: In this technocratic mode, there's no consideration that policies may have trade offs. That yes, rent control might negatively affect the class of landlords and for profit developers, it might alter supply, but it might be still worth doing as a measure to provide relief to tenants, perhaps in addition to other efforts to make it cheaper to build housing to increase supply. But that sort of appraisal of trade offs requires governing beyond a pure commitment to serving the market, to just acting on what studies say is true. The liberal technocrat thinks that politics is just the application of technical knowledge, which of course is a massive limitation on what you understand politics as being and what is politically possible. History did not end in the nineties. What is politically possible changes over time, and politics is about responding to different opportunities in history.
Speaker 6: They're missing the part of history which is class struggle.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 12: It's the case that we're in a capitalist world and that requires economic competitiveness. You need to maintain competitive production on the world stage and internally as well. Totally true, but that does not follow that, you know, you just pursue that blindly. There are very hugely significant decisions about how economic growth proceeds. The biggest one that is just completely left out by these people is the notion that in growing the economy, the wealth produced by that growth, how that's distributed distributive politics. These people, they don't seem to conceive of it. The podcast you sent me, I think he literally he says something like, you know, the biggest liberal struggle is that there is no struggle, like it literally just conceives the world as like there aren't really any problems. Things are fine. There's big citation needed on that one. He's just sort of like, yeah, things are things are fine. If you look at it, things are fine, which is just. I mean, it's just an insane thing to say wages haven't risen in like forty fifty years, you know, inequality has exploded, life has stagnated for so many people, especially the poorest people, which are most workers. So the idea that there is actually a realm the politics that revolves around class struggle, around you know, how wealth is distributed and how we gear our economic growth. To them, that's a separate category. And so their entire politics is the politics of technocracy, and in that, you know, I'll give it to them. I think that they probably are pretty good at the technical expertise of governance stuff. I mean, one would expect Liberalism has been in power in the United States for most of its history, so yeah, I would expect that they would be good at technical expertise. Their critique is not that they don't know what they're doing. It's that they have totally jettisoned politics, the deciding what do you do with that expertise?
Speaker 6: How do you gear the.
Speaker 12: Economy, how do you consciously control where it's going, how distribution happens, Who is empowered in government and in the economy. Right, this is all to discuss class, right, which these people basically never do.
Speaker 7: This limited view of what politics is then determines what the neoliberal technocrat thinks is worth focusing on and what they view as being impossible, like how they view Medicare for all as this impossible goal, whether that's because they think voters will never support switching away from private health care, or that a single payer healthcare system might even hurt the economy and therefore we should oppose it.
Speaker 1: Their extremely narrow view of.
Speaker 7: What is politically possible is the main reason why this sort of young new liberal organization will never succeed in rivaling DSAY because the whole better things aren't possible mentality makes it really hard to attract young people to your cause, especially young people who are struggling. No, we can't pass Medicare for all because x Y reason, a rent freeze is actually evil because x Y reason. I don't know how that kind of messaging is going to attract anyone except fellow aspiring technocrats, which, yeah, that is basically the entire makeup of CNL as an organization. After the summit, an elected member of cnl's leadership Steering Committee got drunk at the bar and argued that child outcomes are better when certain types of fathers are incarcerated because some study proved that the type of father who gets charged with the crime would be a bad influence on his kids.
Speaker 1: A commands of the third ring.
Speaker 7: That moment was very emblematic for this whole political project. This person was so delighted in their own contrarian commitment to cold, emotionless, uncomfortable truths that may run counter to what's socially accepted. Their little knowing smirk, fully aware that what this saying is morally detestable, while self assured in appealing to the authority of technical knowledge.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: This tendency to fall back on the pretext that a study proved such a controversial fact, while willfully ignoring that there may be alternative solutions to the base problem here. When your main political solution to social problems is just incarceration, then you have lost. Your politics have failed. That's Globecon twenty twenty six, next episode, I'll be doing a deeper dive into neoliberal technocracy as a counter to rising populism. Welcome back to it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. Last episod eisode I detailed my experience at globecon twenty twenty six, or the New Liberal Action Summit, a three day convention for young liberal professionals to socialize and listen to panels about zoning reform, energy policy, and broad based taxes. The summit is put on by a nonprofit called the Center for New Liberalism, a digital advocacy organization that promotes center left policies and neoliberal economics. The Center for New Liberalism or CNL, basically started as a group of policy wonks on Reddit and Twitter making political memes during Trump's first term, but in twenty twenty, CNL was brought into the clintonite think tank, the Progressive Policy Institute. Since then, CNL has been doing yearly summits and more IRL political engagement in hopes of filling in the role of something like the DSA but for more technocratically inlined moderate young Libs. The twenty twenty six New Liberal Action Summit took place in the backdrop of an ascendant democratic socialist and left wing populist movement winning congressional primaries in New York, Pennsylvania, Colorado, and now Michigan, beating the more moderate establishment type candidates. A few days before the Summit in DC. The New Liberal Podcast released an episode about the current crisis of Liberalism where CNL co founder Jeremiah Johnson talks about why he thinks people are quote abandoning the idea that liberalism can help them and are turning to populism, whether from the right or the left.
Speaker 9: The clear trend over time is that we are getting more and more are extremely progressive members of Congress, representatives, etc. That we are getting more socialists and more DSA aligned candidates, and that the far left is simply out organizing and out hustling the moderate wing of the party or the liberal wing of the party, however you'd like to say it, and this is troubling.
Speaker 7: Jeremiah Johnson cites the Mamdani DSA sweep in New York last June, where socialist candidates beat establishment incumbents, and this episode came out about a month before the populist wins in the Michigan Democratic primary. But Johnson does bring up the Colorado primary, where one of cnl's favorite politicians, Senator Michael Bennett, just lost his primary for Colorado governor to the state attorney general, who, to quote Johnson quote frankly, was not even necessarily more progressive than him, but simply rode the wave of I'm the popular, stanty establishment, I'm more angry, etc.
Speaker 4: Etc.
Speaker 7: Michael Bennett is an interesting case. In twenty twenty, he ran for president as like the most centrist candidate of that entire bunch and only qualified for the first two debates. He used to be like one of the least populist senators in the country, like a very CNL type politician who, weeks after losing his primary bid, opened the New Liberal Actions summit with a forty five minute fireside chat with cnl's deputy director Tobin Stone. Senator Bennett's remarks earned a very tepid response from the attendees. Bennett blamed the Democratic Party for losing to Trump because they had no ideas. He talked about the need to build housing and transit from a bottom up approach that helps regular people, not just those at the top, how his constituents in Colorado can't afford to live where they grew up, and how people in their late twenties and thirties can't get a real job. He often mentioned quote working people and quote affordability, and referred to Bernie Sanders as his quote friend, the whole talk felt kind of Bernie Light, which was especially odd because the summit schedule said that this fireside chat was going to focus on the threat of the ascendant populist left, but to the extent that Bennett targeted populism, it was the Trumpean right wing authoritarian variety. And like, don't get me wrong, Michael Bennett is still very much a moderate. But if even a long time ultracentrist like him feels like he has to make overtures to progressives or populists even when he's speaking to the completely wrong audience, then the Libs must be really feeling the pressure on that New liberal podcast CNL co founder Jeremiah Johnson asked his listeners to consider, if things continue on their current course, what the socialist movement could look like in ten years.
Speaker 9: But just ask yourself, you know, is this type of candidate winning democratic primaries more or less often than they were five years ago, than they were ten years ago, and five to ten years from now, do you expect that they will have more energy or less energy? Because I think any honest appraisal of where we are at right now is that the socialist wing of the Democratic Party has the energy and the momentum. Their organizing infrastructure is far better, far more than the moderate or the liberal wing of the party. They have more people who are out there willing to do the work knocking on doors, phone banking, posting on social media. That is where the grassroots energy of the Democratic Party is. And we can talk about whether or not the voters are there yet, but the voters ultimately follow elite opinion.
Speaker 7: Voters are not just mindless sheep that follow elite opinion see here the twenty sixteen to twenty twenty four elections. They can be influenced by the power of capital, but voters do evaluate their material conditions and compare that to how different candidates promise to change or not change those conditions once in office. There may be an elitist side of the academic left, but the unspoken assertion here that the DSA is uniquely representative of the elite as opposed to the centrist Democrats, who do not represent elite opinion and are more in touch with voters. That's patently absurd, and cnl's new senior advisor agrees. Here's Greg Schultz, Biden's campaign manager and general election strategist who spoke on a Globecon panel about winning back Maha voters.
Speaker 13: I think farm the reality is a Democratic Party is a self righteous, know at all party, and voters not can feel that and they can see it. Do you think we know it's better for you and your family than put.
Speaker 16: You know it's for you and your advantiate.
Speaker 13: So one is we are increasingly a party of the academical, elite, academical fility. So I don't think absolually talk for real players understand their real.
Speaker 7: Concern So, while Greg at least admits among friends that the Dems are an elite party detached from the concerns of voters, CNL co founder and podcast host Jeremiah Johnson remains somewhat confused as to why people just don't support the smartest policies as defined by him and are instead turning to populism.
Speaker 9: Any honest appraisal of where we are at says that liberals are losing ground to socialists in the Democratic Party. To some degree, the establishment has done this to themselves. I think it would be wrong for any analysis to leave that out. But having said that, in America, living conditions are still quite good.
Speaker 7: Even in his explanation of why liberalism is failing, he still insists that things are actually fine. He talks about how real median income is quote unquote as high as it's ever been, which doesn't actually mean that things are going great. It's barely keeping up with inflation. But Johnson relies on this narrow batch of macro economic statistics to insist that quote America is still throw life is still good. Last week I forced Ben Rose Porter, a professor of sociology at the City University of New York, to listen to this whole Crisis in Liberalism podcast and then discuss his thoughts.
Speaker 12: The mainstream capitalist order, which is to say, the liberal order as its political correlate is breaking down, is failing, so you would expect to see if political moves away from it. There's a very famous graph of worker compensation to productivity. So worker compensation that's wages, basically how much of profits more or less is going to the workers. Right, So how much are workers compensated? Tracked with productivity, which is to say, how much are firms producing relative to inputs? Right, input to output productivity over time, and this is over the course of the twentieth century. And what you see in that graph is that for basically the whole of the twentieth century, wages worker compensation tracks very closely with productivity. So as firms industries produce more and more stuff, are more and more efficiently producing, are creating more and more wealth, workers wages are going up and keeping pace with that. So the share of wealth between the owning classes, the bourgeois, and the workers is staying about level.
Speaker 17: Right.
Speaker 12: As there's more made, workers are getting some of that, right, and they're getting an even piece. And around eighty eighty one, you know the collapse of the labor movement in the seventies and especially with Reagan. Right, you see worker compensation flatline, and it basically has been inert since the eighties. Since the beginning of the eighties, productivity has continued to go up about the same rate. So we have been producing more and more wealth in this country. Right, This is what capital's production does. It's basically almost always growing in productivity. Right, We've been producing more and more wealth, and the share of that wealth that the workers get has flatlined. You cannot spin that as things are basically fine. That has all kinds of of of major effects one of the big ones is, you know, inequality. Even if workers are not being paid starvation wages, living in that profoundly and a profoundly inequal society has all kinds of effects socially speaking, right, It does for the middle classes too, people who are you know, comfortable, who are doing well, who have who have captured a bit of that growth, because it gets worse the further you go down the line. That when you look at like wages for the lowest paid workers, they've often even decreased, right, But even for those middle class professionals and such, who may very well be comfortable, and many of them, we should stress, are not. I think that when you go through and you look at the data, there's a lo lot of indicators of all kinds of ways in which people might not be comfortable. But even those that are comfortable, you know, they still have to live in a society that is profoundly unequal. That is letting the bottom strata just rot, right, that is just letting like people die on the streets. That has an effect.
Speaker 6: Anyone with a.
Speaker 12: Soul with a conscience is you know, affected by that.
Speaker 7: Having foreclosed the idea that there is anything economically or structurally wrong with society. Jeremiah Johnson is left to conclude that this quote crisis in liberalism appears to be a crisis of confidence, a crisis of storytelling. So to Johnson, it's simply that the liberal story is no longer as compelling as the alternative populist narratives. Johnson mentions two potential explanations for liberalism's decline, one coming from the right, the other from the left, neither of which he finds convincing. Johnson says that the right wing is promoting a cultural explanation for liberalism's decline, arguing that liberals have moved too far to the left on cultural issues and lost voters, while the left wing offers a quote unquote materialist explanation, claiming.
Speaker 9: Living conditions have actually deteriorated, and your statistics do not capture this, and people can tell when their lives are getting, you know, materially worse. You know, when things cost too much and they don't have as much income, and that is why people turn away from liberalism towards alternate explanations.
Speaker 7: Of course, in this entire fifty two minutes of podcast, Johnson never talks about like wealth inequality, as a real problem in society because someone from his self described neoliberal economic worldview just does not believe that skyrocketing wealth inequality is actually a real problem in and of itself. But then he has to pretend to be confused as to why more and more people are falling for this materialist explanation of why there's a crisis in liberalism and why people are not convinced by the quote unquote story that liberalism is telling them with macroeconomic statistics. You know, the stock market is booming, Unemployment is low. Things like that don't actually indicate what types of jobs are available. Service industry or gig economy. Work is crushing and offers no path for a sustainable future. Buying a house seems impossible. Rent keeps skyrocketing, energy costs are ballooning, all while the rich get even richer. Even if, on average, the median wage has kept up with inflation at about three point five percent per year, there are, of course many people who are not seeing that wage growth, and even if they are, that three point five percent is far below the thirty percent rise in the price of groceries over the past few years, or the twenty five percent jump in residential electricity rates, and of course minimum wage workers are not keeping up with inflation, let alone the massive bumps in housing, education, and healthcare costs. A New York Times poll from last May showed that among Democrats and Democrat leaning voters, only five percent said the economic conditions were good or excellent. Eighty eight percent said the economic system in this country is generally unfair to most Americans. Sixty three percent said that the political and economic system needs major changes, and twenty percent sid it needs to be torn down completely. But Johnson would have you believe that the materialist explanation is without merit because DSA candidates actually get a lot of support from middle class workers.
Speaker 9: The people who tend most to be sympathetic to this kind of leftist story tend to be the people with the most education and the highest incomes. If you look at, you know, the demographics of Zorn Mamdani's win in New York, he won the highest income brackets. And this is despite you know, having kind of a eat the rich kind of persona, and very very DSA aligned politics. And this makes me doubt the materialist explanation.
Speaker 7: As we discussed last episode, this is just patently untrue. In both the Democratic primary and the general election, former Governor Andrew Cuomo performed best in the city's highest income districts and with voters who made over two hundred thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 1: But no, it is actually the.
Speaker 7: DSA who are truly representative of the elite, and the richest of the rich are Zorn's main base of support. Johnson needs that to be true because, as we will learn after this ad break, he contends that liberalism might actually be suffering from its own success. Welcome Back, CNL co founder and new Liberal podcast host Jeremiah Johnson doesn't buy into either of the populist explanations for liberalism's decline, the cultural one pushed by the right or the materialist one argued by the left. Johnson thinks that, if anything, these explanations should be reversed. He discounts the right way a cultural explanation because the places where those progressive cultural advances have gone the farthest are in deep blue districts that are still deep blue. And as for the materialist story told by the left.
Speaker 9: If you look at the places that have actually suffered potentially under the.
Speaker 1: Liberal era.
Speaker 9: Of the last forty to fifty years. I think the places you could most point to authentically, that you could make the strongest case for would be the kind of rust belt towns, small towns in Ohio and Pennsylvania and Michigan and so forth, where the decline of manufacturing, you know, the decline of the auto industry or of the steel industry or whatever may have hollowed out the local economy. Now, this is a very left leaning explanation, but the people in those towns have not bought into the left explanation. They've turned into Republicans, is the thing. You know, the materialist argument pushed by the left is actually most applicable to the areas that now vote for Donald Trump.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the whole point. It's the economy idiot just flatly dismissing any materialist analysis on the basis that such analysis, as argued by the left is actually even more applicable in places that are voting for Trump rather than Democrats is completely missing the entire point of the left's analysis. Trump ran as a populist, a right wing populist, But that is like evidence for what the left is arguing. That is the left's explanation why those places which used to be Democrat working class union. Why they have gone to Trump It's because he's offering a populist solution. Now, is Trump's right wing popular solution actually going to be a real solution to the base problems? No, because instead he's gonna do economic nationalism. He's gonna do tariffs, He's gonna scapegoat immigrants as the reason for why housing is expensive, why the job market sucks. So he is offering a populist solution, but not a good solution. While campaigning, he was addressing the poor economic conditions, price of eggs, as opposed to the liberal assertion that things are great actually or something as tone deaf as Bidenomics is working.
Speaker 12: Here's a better start, like a better explanation for that is just paying attention to the actual history. I'm from the South, right, the South is so much of it is the core for you know, a kind of reactionary cultural, right wing cultural politics. The South is also where the the labor movement, the unions were just decimated. I mean it's brutal there. Union densities is in the shitter and has been for a while. And so one way of explaining this is like, yeah, people in these places. People in the South often gravitate towards a kind of cultural reactionary, confused politics precisely because there's no other option. They don't have a kind of coherent socialist project, and so they go towards these other things where there's more of a labor movement, where it has held on to some degree somewhere like New York, for instance, there is an alternative route, right, and it took us a while to get there. You know, this is a relatively new trend of the rise in socialism. But I don't know whether this is like cynical or if he just genuinely does not conceive of how well, yeah, it may be that these these are real material stressors and pressures that are then in interpreted through cultural lenses for all sorts of reasons. But that the idea that it must be one or the other, that if well, if these if people favor a cultural explanation, then there must not be material problems. It is also the whole thing is just fraught. I mean, like the idea that the only place is suffering from de industrialization or you know, dried up economies are just republican states and cities that's just not true in any sense. There are lots of places where a dying economy is responded to with very left materialist analyzes and nor also the idea that again i mean just very hand wavy, like just citation needed, we're moving pack things are fine outside of like a limited de industrialized red states, you know, where things maybe are a little bad, everything else is fine. Like is the idea that in major coastal cities everything's fine and just completely ignores that, like service workers in the lowest rungs of workers in these places are being crushed right now, many of which have to then leave the cities they're in. And then you know, people who may be able to maintain a comfortable income and comfortable there is you know, a little strained, I mean.
Speaker 6: Gig work is on the rise.
Speaker 12: People are having to work all sorts of strange hours that beck and call of their employers. Alienation from their kinds of work and the ability to choose one's job is really profoundly wrong. Incomes for college graduates have dropped, so professionals, while they may be able to maintain a somewhat comfortable income, are often still declining in that capacity. Enfranchisement in people's worlds, both in their economic world and in saying how they labor, how they work, but also in the wider political world in getting a say in how government is happening. People are feel totally disenfranchised. They are disenfranchised from those things. So it's just a very thin patina of things are fine that falls apart upon any examination. Ironically, these people represent the whole project of things are fine because we maintain full control. The other side of the coin of things are fine is we need not empower anyone else, just let us the technical experts run everything.
Speaker 7: So instead of a cultural explanation or a materialist explanation for the current crisis in liberalism, the Center for New Liberalism seems to kind of embrace this sort of liberal affluenza, as if people are actually suffering from affluence. For this, Johnson turns to Francis Fukuyama.
Speaker 9: Fukuyama, in his book The End of History in the Last Man very famously said that he believed man needs struggle essentially. You know, in the twentieth century we got the great struggles of World War I and the Great Depression, World War II, and then the Cold War and liberalism flourished under these conditions because it had an identifiable enemy to fight. It had a struggle that you know, men and women could throw themselves into. You know, that we could defeat the Nazis, we could defeat the communists. And then he predicted that if history really did end in air quotes, that men might struggle just for the sake of struggle. They would struggle against the very system that created this prosperity, just for the sake of having something to feel, of having something to feel useful for.
Speaker 7: The idea is, now that liberalism has conquered the globe, people don't actually require anything materially different, but will still desire for self worth, dignity, and recognition. This is a sort of post modern crisis of a struggle for meaning, totally divorced from a materialist desire.
Speaker 9: But Fukuyama argues that while modern liberal democracies can provide peace and material wealth, they leave people feeling alienated by not delivering that sense of higher purpose, and that that is what leads people to nationalism or populism or identity politics, because people want some sort of recognition.
Speaker 7: To Johnson, ultimately, liberalism is struggling because quote there is no more great struggle.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there is no real struggle. That this is all made up. It's all smoke and mirrors, like everybody's fine. I mean, if you pursue it to its logical conclusion. It's the most condescending politics there is. It's literally just you don't really have problems. You are just rebelling against us because things are so good and you don't have meaning other other than opposing us. It literally I was listening to that and I was like, this sounds like bourgeois revolutions of early modernity, right, this is like how the monarchy reacted. So many times you get like, you know, absolute monarchs just saying like, well, the people there aren't really problems. You're fine. It's it's fine to chill out.
Speaker 6: Like I'm your king. We're doing fine.
Speaker 12: It's all good, right, And of course that worked out brilliantly for them. Yeah, it's the same politics. It's just well, there's basically no struggle. Are people are mad because you know they don't have enough meaning? I just I don't know how that plays out to anyone.
Speaker 6: Is insane to me.
Speaker 12: The idea that you know, all of the struggle and strife in the world today is just it's not real. It's somehow made up pretend we're all doing it's ridiculous.
Speaker 7: Johnson's contention is that things just got so good under neoliberal technocracy that it created a postmodern crisis of meaning, resulting in people struggling against the very system that provides for them to gain a new sense of purpose, basically self sabotaging by electing bad populist candidates, which then do make economic conditions worse. But then Johnson's solution to this problem is just to put neoliberal technocrats back in power, but this time be even more cynical and also more patriotic in contrast to the United States. Johnson points to Canada as an example of where liberalism is currently succeeding, and he credits this to quote technocratic ability, cynical maneuvering, and liberal nationalism, adding quote we need technocrats more than ever. I introduced the idea last episode that one of the main tendencies among these so called new liberals is the belief that politics is just the application of technical knowledge, you know, conflating having technical knowledge with the ability to govern well and do decision making at the highest level. A view of politics without politics.
Speaker 12: The technocratic point of view sort of works like this. It understands that like, okay, there's technical expertise. Let's say you're trying to you know, reform tax policy. Tax policy is very complex. The way that taxes work, the way that you know, government revenues work is very complex. So if you're going to rearrange that, yeah, you are going to need some people who understand how that work. Who are intellectuals, you know, who have the technical knowledge required to make your policies work. That's a crucial part of any politics. You absolutely need that. Any political faction that seeks to have a chance of successful governance needs a level of technical expertise. Absolutely, But that is an entirely set question from what does one choose to do? Your technical expertise is a key part to successfully doing what you set out to do. But politics at the highest levels, right at the level of like party line of like what party strategy is about? What are you trying to do? The technocratic view basically thinks that that question is already decided to them. It's obvious what you should do. What you should do is grow the economy, maximize economic growth, because in their view, that's good for everybody. You know, rising tide lifts soul boats, that's good for everybody. There is no conflict here, and so if there is no conflict here, then that's the obvious pick. And then the only difficulty is just getting people in to do that job well. And so for them, politics is just about okay, well, our team has the people who know how to do this job well, and the other team doesn't know how to do the job well, and they have trouble sometimes even conceiving that. In fact, no, the debate would be about what we're choosing to do.
Speaker 7: Johnson explains that liberal governance has to walk a dangerous tightrope. If you lean too far to the left, you stifle the economy and feed radicalism and extremism. Johnson points to Europe as an example of this. But if you lean too far to the right, economically, people will revolt if they don't share in the prosperity.
Speaker 9: If you don't successfully walk this tightrope, then you risk entering a kind of doom loop where you know, oh, everything seems really bad. We're all dooming, And so people are going to choose an illiberal candidate, and that illiberal candidate is going to do stupid things that make things worse in society, and that's going to make people even more illiberal, even more tilted towards extremism, which will lead to worse candidates who will make things even worse than before, and so on, etc. There is real risk of entering that kind of doom loop, and that's why it's important to actually have smart technocratic leadership.
Speaker 7: The doom loop theory glosses over the fact that Trump came after Oh Baba. The sentiment that this technocratic leadership wasn't working didn't just come from the right. Bernie Sanders also rose to prominence by arguing this from a left wing perspective, and the capitalist class were more threatened by Sanders, so they mobilized to take out the threat of left wing populism, even if that meant Trump's right wing populism would win, because they know that the left wing version is the one that could actually empower labor against the interests of capital. Johnson also claims that Joe Biden had big goals, but quote his technocratic ability wasn't there, meaning there was too much red tape prohibiting his policies from having an impact because he quote went about policy in a stupid way. Now Johnson knows that calling for a technocracy isn't an election strategy. For that, he proposes more quote unquote cynical maneuvering and that Liberals should get more quote unquote ruthless in terms of running elections. He says Kamala Harris should have forcefully distanced herself from Joe Biden, or the party should have pushed her out for being too compromised due to her association with Biden. Of course, Johnson does not acknowledge that the party is very capable of cynical, ruthless maneuvering when it serves their interests and the interests of their donors. Once again, consider the twenty sixteen and twenty twenty Democratic primaries and the concerted efforts to take down Bernie Sanders, something that quite possibly lost the Democrats the twenty sixteen election. But Johnson also talks about the need for cynical maneuvering in implementing policy.
Speaker 12: The main things he talks about seemed to be flatly at odds with each other because he says, well, you know, we need technocratic politics, which is to say you just need the right policies. You need the ones that are correct to do the job.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 12: Again, what the job is, what we're trying to do is totally like not on the table. That's a given right, and then you just need the people who can technically do that well. But then he also says you need some cynicism. You need to be able to just be ruthless electorally and operate politically in order to win, which seems to directly contradict is like, well, what should you do. Should you pick the policies that are correct, pursue technocracy regardless of whether or not it's popular, whether it can win elections, right, which is his whole contention, is that the right policies are somehow, somehow not popular among the people. Or should you you know, be electorally ruthless and try to appeal to the masses and win elections by perhaps I mean he gives an example with the carbon tax, where he says, like, I think this policy is great, I think this is the technically correct policy, but you have to abandon it.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 12: I'm sure if you asked him he would say, well, you have to strike a balance between the two. But as strategy. That's useless. Right, It's like, well, how should you ride a bike? Well, you don't want to lean too far left, but you also don't want to re lean too far right. You want to kind of stay right in the balanced middle. Okay, that tells us nothing. You should pick the right policies, but not so much. You need to also be ruthless and be able to win elections. Pick the right policies and win win elections. Don't see take it immediately.
Speaker 7: Johnson argues that the final necessary step in exiting the populist doom loop is quote unquote liberal nationalism, basically the idea that liberals need to become loudly more patriotic and reclaim and be proud of the progressive parts of American history. But liberal patriotism isn't enough to win elections, and the Harris campaign already kind of tried this.
Speaker 9: Liberals have got to be better at telling a story of how America is great. Liberalism made America great. Liberalism is why we're all rich and successful and awesome.
Speaker 7: This is the massive contradiction at the heart of their project. They want to say, we're all rich, the economy is great, living conditions are fine, but the new liberals do have at least some way awareness of material problems because most of the conference panels were about affordability, especially in relation to housing and energy costs. So are there massive economic factors driving voter behavior or not? How can you pretend that everything is great actually and then also put on a whole conference focusing on how housing and energy are way too expensive? You do know that there are material problems. What's actually happening here is that you're frustrated that people aren't buying into your neoliberal solutions to the problems caused by neoliberalism. But to the technocrat, it can't be the policies that are wrong. So instead it must be that we are not telling a strong enough story.
Speaker 9: We need to be able to figure out a pro growth, patriotic, muscular liberal message that work because people respond to two things. In the end, they respond to material conditions. If the material conditions are bad enough, they will get mad at you. But they also respond to stories, and it's hard to identify the story that liberals tell today.
Speaker 7: At the very end of this podcast, Johnson finally admits that people do in fact respond two material conditions, but only if things get bad enough. But he also believes that the economy is good, we are rich, we are successful, so the problem has to be something else, and that something else is stories. Liberalism just isn't telling the right stories. Again, it's not material problems, it's storytelling problems. And Johnson says, quote the story we should tell should be rooted in two things, a return to history and a vision of abundance. Johnson truly believes that this is all about stories and not actually about politics. And this is where the technocratic version of politics hits its own massive limitations. This is where it runs up against it's extremely narrow view of what politics is and what is politically possible.
Speaker 12: They're totally whipped by capital. Like that's the thing is, like capital sets the agenda because you know, they, as I said, they've ceded the territory of like political decisions properly put right, They concern themselves with the technical administration of the system, but are are totally uninterested in the commanding heights of the system of like how is the economy structured? But seating that territory doesn't mean it's it's neutral. It just means that, like, yeah, capital gets to call the shots. Then, and so capital basically says, well, here's what's possible, and here's what's not right, based very much on capital's interests, right, in order for us to maintain our profitability at the levels we would like and the ways we would like, these things are not possible. And the technocrats they just accept that, right, like it's a real belief for them.
Speaker 6: It's it's not cynical.
Speaker 12: You know, there is a time where with shrewder and more aware liberals, liberals who are aware of like class struggle, i think, and who were throwing in on the side of capital, like originally, like the classical liberals as well as liberals in throughout the twentieth century. Rightly, when they had to contend with like real socialist politics, they knew, like they were self conscious about, well, we are on the side of capital.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 12: That's the biggest difference between sort of the past ages of liberalism and this, you know, upstart, young liberals they're so in the pocket of capital, they're so at capitals bidding that they don't even really know it's there anymore. And so they just perceived this as like, again, what capital wants is basically just the natural state of the world what is possible period with you know, like just such an impossibly narrow historical focus on like what is possible? And I just don't know how anyone like looks at the past, you know, one hundred years of history and feels they can conclude very solidly what is and is not possible. But they just feel that what capital says is basically the natural constraints of what's possible in society. And so given that which they take as a given, the only question is competent administration. It's a fall from previous liberals, you know, who argued for like, no, we want to empower capital over labor to a certain extent, right, or we want to achieve a balance between these things, usually with capital leading in some way.
Speaker 7: It's time for one more ad break before we learn how. Jeremiah Johnson believes that a quote unquote brightness loop might be the key dissolving the crisis of liberalism Welcome back. Johnson proposes the way out of this populist doom loop is what he calls a brightness loop, or basically like a positive feedback loop, which will be achieved through technocracy, ruthless politics, and liberal patriotism. Embracing America and our history and loudly proclaiming.
Speaker 9: We are rich, and we are successful, and we are awesome. America rocks.
Speaker 7: I wonder how that's gonna go over with voters who are struggling to pay bills and household expenses every month. Might they turn to another candidate who actually addresses the fact that maybe things aren't so great for everyone. The limitations of the technocratic mindset is a big part of why centre left candidates are losing to left populists in very high profile races. I really don't know how CNL expects to grow their organization and build momentum among young people to advance their own candidates, to claw back the Democratic Party away from the socialists, away from the populists, from the progressives. When their political project is calling for technocracy, cynicism, and liberal nationalism, how do you think that will attract and then mobilize an actual, energized, motivated base. Because the only people I can see that appealing to are those who aspire themselves to be technocrats and to reform. That is who attended the New Liberal Action summit last month in Washington, DC. It was a group of people who identify with and submit themselves to the mainstream neoliberal order, and who understand themselves through identifying with the base structure of capitalist American society. That's where they get their self identification and in many cases their jobs and their income. This is people who want to work in politics, who want to work as a consultant, a campaign manager, a lobbyist, or a congressional staffer. In contrast, a lot of the people in DSA don't have an actual interest in politics as an industry. In fact, they might have a frankly aversion to electoral politics, and they're kind of involved in DSA somewhat begrudgingly in a sense. Most DC members that I interact with would not want to work in politics as their job, But they are doing this because they believe in it, and because there's material forces that are driving them towards wanting this sort of change, versus the CNL approach of trying to base all your on the ground mobilization on like other aspiring technocrats and professionals whose lives are built very materially around these politics, around doing politics, and so their efforts to promote neoliberalism could be interpreted as a form of class reproduction and attempts to maintain their particular position within a class dynamic. Now, of course, the socialists do have their own flock of aspiring professionals and intellectuals who are seeking roles within civil institutions and political positions of authority. The difference lies in what political project you are a part of, what kind of class politics you're tied to, what class you're trying to empower, are you intending to maintain or alter class relations? And ultimately, what does political success look like just growing the GDP as much as possible, increasing the total amount of wealth, or is it economic equality and democratic control of society and production. In their attempts to claim liberal history right, the new liberals will associate themselves with you know, FDR, the New Deal. Maybe if they're shrewder the Great Society. One of the most frustrating parts of the conference for me was hearing these lobbyists talk about, you know, the great legacy of FDR, while in another breath strongly arguing against wealth taxes, against taxing the rich. At the end of the Crisis in Liberalism podcast, Johnson says, quote, the populace left says that you don't actually need to have any form of economic growth as long as you can categorize people into good and evil groups and tax the evil ones and give all their money to the good ones unquote. And I just don't think that is how they would describe New Deal or Great Society era tax rates. They would never describe those tax rates and the reasons for why they were instituted as like, we decided there are good and evil groups, and therefore we must punish the evil ones and give all their money to the good ones. The new Liberals have to play it both ways because they still want to associate themselves with the sort of heights of liberal democracy in the United States, which they point to these eras as, but they're both fundamentally opposed to what these eras actually are, the economic policies and tax base that made those policies possible, and also vehemently opposed to the organized labor apparatus that fought for those policies. So they want to claim the legacy of those things for liberalism, but shorn of all content, they have to complet completely ignore both the substance of those politics and the forces that drove those politics, which was chiefly the labor movement, and socialists were a huge part of that. But neoliberals don't want to acknowledge or promote labor because organized labor runs contrary to the interest of capital, and because they know they can't compete with DSA if you're going to play that game. In somewhat breaking from Ezra Cline, cnl's strain of neoliberal abundance explicitly blames unions for why it's so hard to build housing and infrastructure. They think labor unions are bad for the economy and thus are evil, and that the general public are stupid children throwing a temper tantrum sabotaging the greatest country ever by electing populists because liberalism made the world too good. There's no more struggle, and liberals just have to tell the people a better story so that neoliberal technocrats can stay in power, that those with technical knowledge can rule.
Speaker 12: It's a profoundly undemocratic politics. You pursue it to its logical ends, and it is literally well, the people do not really know what their interests are, and in fact, we'll go against them just for the sake of having meaning. I guess, so it's up to us those who do know what the right politics are to be in charge and to basically call all the shots. And who has the authority to say that we have the right politics? Well us, of course, right. It's why you know, these people exist at the whim of capital. Without capital, they are nothing, right. They have this idea that they produce their own authority by having the correct policies. They know the world, and that's where their power comes from. They exist at capital's whim, right, and if capital decides to move into a different direction, they have no authority.
Speaker 18: They have nothing.
Speaker 12: It's capital or labor. You either get your source of authority and political power from the economic powers that be the property owners who control production and have an enormous amount of power in that sense, or you get it from the masses, from the people, the laborers, who actually power society and power all production. Those are the two forces. This idea that correct knowledge in itself supplies authority is not only obviously undemocratic, but it's i mean, just profoundly confused. It's completely oblivious to political reality. It doesn't believe in politics, it doesn't think there is a realm of politics.
Speaker 7: With that though, you are forgetting that we're rich that were successful, that were awesome.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we are rich, we are successful, we are awesome. America rocks, America rocks.
Speaker 6: God what a Yeah.
Speaker 12: He pairs that one with talking about like you can't be a depressing nerd and talk about what America is done wrong. I love the idea of like trying to set yourself up against like nerds, being like, don't be a nerd, and then being like, America rocks, We're rich, we're successful. Where all that is like the nerd line. It's like, this is a.
Speaker 1: Whole nerd conference.
Speaker 7: This is like the yes policy wonky will Stancil matically sious like nerds central.
Speaker 12: Well, maybe you're on the football team, but I have an a in math, Like it's literally that it's that, well, we're rich, where successful? And where awesome? We We've won World War Two, we.
Speaker 1: Beat the communists, we beat the communists.
Speaker 12: Where it's just very Yeah, it's it's hollow too. I mean, I'm a red blooded American. You know, there's a lot to like about the American society, but this, like America rocks America is awesome. Like, I don't know, maybe there's a reason people aren't really feeling that one, right, now, you know, just shouting it into into the faces of the misery of the masses is not the best move.
Speaker 7: You don't think that's gonna go over well with voters who are maybe not rich and who are struggling.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I don't know, man, look around, it's been a pretty bad time. Like, yeah, no, I don't I think this kind of God, we're awesome.
Speaker 7: As much as the New Liberals are upset and confused why the political momentum is with DSA and not them, the Center for New Liberalism will never be able to build an organization of young Libs capable of rivaling DSA because technocratic liberalism categorically rejects mass politics. So while CNL and the New Liberals make a big show online, ultimately they are just a front group for PPI, the Progressive Policy Institute, the centrist think tank that convinced the Democratic Party to abandon the working class of the nineties, abandon redistributive new deoliberalism, and embrace de regulatory, free market neoliberal economics under Bill Clinton. So while the blue Globe emoji people will continue to post prolifically online, I suspect that is where their political impact will largely remain. Here's a final note from sociology professor Ben rose Porter.
Speaker 12: I mean, look, economies are hard to figure out, but I think it's just worth saying, like, what are you growing the economy for?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 12: The whole point is to provide people with better lives, you know, raise their wages, give them more power and control over their lives and their society.
Speaker 6: And they just seem to have it very reversed.
Speaker 12: Where the point is to grow the economy at whatever cost.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, it could happen here, a podcast about it happening here. And in this case, the here we're talking about is Texas, and the it we're talking about is one of America's most corrupt and evil politicians, kN Paxton. And I'm using corrupt and evil in like an objective scientific since I need you to understand this is not a matter of opinion. The Vatic can convene the series of scientists who who did confirm that Ken Paxton has the evil equivalent of midichlorians in a concentration never before seen in an American politician. And to talk to me about Ken Paxton and say things that are real and accurate and not nonsense. Is a guy who actually reports on Ken Paxton directly as part of his professional job as a real journalist. Robert Downan, Robert, welcome to the show.
Speaker 17: Thank you for having man, Thank you for that incredible introduction.
Speaker 1: Gotta have a little fun with Ken oh k Pax.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, first off, you want to introduce yourself, put up your plugs up front here.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 17: My name is Robert down In.
Speaker 10: I'm a writer at Texas Monthly. I've been in Texas for almost a decade now, where I've kind of covered I guess you could say religion, the convergence of far right politics and religion extremism, et cetera, which is to say, you know, now, I basically just cover the current Texas GOP because they are kind of the incubator for a lot of policy that goes national.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it is like the breeding warren in the center of the fever swamps in a lot of ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You and I met a couple of years ago now at the r n C during twenty twenty four, which was a lot of fun. And I'm kind of curious because I don't know that I actually asked you then, when did you start kind of covering kin Pas and do you remember like when you first like really became aware of him in a meaningful way.
Speaker 17: Yeah. I don't know if you remember this.
Speaker 10: I think we were actually in the middle of talking about it, and we were at some stake joint and I looked to my right and recognized a very large Rambo asked bodyguard sitting next to us, who happens to be Canpax's bodyguard, and realized that right next to us.
Speaker 17: So I don't think you ever finished the conversation.
Speaker 1: You're right, we did. Fucking the RNC guys. It's a wild.
Speaker 17: Time, yes, And then I met Roger Stone was great, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fucking Ted Kruz walked in. What a day.
Speaker 10: I started covering Ken Paxton probably officially in twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three. Before that I had kind of covered, you know, Southern Baptist stuff. I was really focused more on the religion side of stuff, so like he's always been in my peripherals, but never you know, been a sole focus.
Speaker 17: And then about you know, five.
Speaker 10: Years ago Ish, who I guess four years ago Ish, I started really focusing on this far right movement in Texas, the billionaires behind it, who you know.
Speaker 17: For that movement.
Speaker 10: Ken Packson is kind of the tip of the spear. So he's been not a primary focus of mine, but you know, someone who I'm paying very frequent attention to for quite a while.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so Ken is he's not a Texan by birth obviously, which which doesn't matter to anybody but some Texans, but he was. He was born in North Dakota if I'm remembering correctly, and he first kind of comes on the scene politically in like two thousand three when he's he's a state representative, right right, Yeah, with is kind of the first really notable moment in the Kim Paxton saga in your opinion, Like when you go back to like where, where, where does this guy start to differentiate himself from everyone else?
Speaker 10: I think you really to kind of understand Ken Paxton's rise and especially the political climate of Texas right now, you have to go to this twenty nine to twenty ten period where Texas really was on the forefront of what would become the Tea Party movement. We started to see, you know, this huge influx of billionaire oil money, in particular these two dudes named Farris Wilks and Tim Dunn, who I'm sure, we'll get to in this conversation. Yeah, you know, they kind of coalesce around this strategy in the Texas House in particular, where they're going to basically just accuse anyone who's not sufficiently far right enough for them as being a rhino and pump all of this money into a media and political eCos or you know network that kind of just becomes almost like this this way that they are holding people speak to the fire to the point where you know they are, you know, funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars, millions of dollars to primary opponents for incumbent lawmakers. A lot of these you know, these candidates are you know, dead on arrival, they have no.
Speaker 17: Actual chance of winning a primary. But the whole point is just kind.
Speaker 10: Of like bruise up these lawmakers, deplete their campaign coffers and kind of make them second guests anytime that they're thinking about defying this political network.
Speaker 17: In the next session.
Speaker 10: So Paxson really emerges out of that, I guess kind of movement. You know, you start to see around twenty twelve twenty thirteen, these groups that are funded by Tim Dunnanfarris Wilks really start to hold him up as this tax payer champion. And then in twenty fourteen, he launches what was kind of thought to be a long shot bid for attorney General that he ends up winning against a little bit more moderate Republican candidates with key help from these billionaires, and that kind of you know, is off the racist from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this is a really as you bring up, a really interesting thing that starts happening to Texas politically. It starts like right as the Bush ears are coming to an end, because obviously George W. Bush was not just the governor of Texas, but he was kind of the governor of Texas who his victory sort of heralded the defeat of the Democratic Party in Texas in a way that it, I mean, it still hasn't recovered from at least, you know. That's kind of the way I often see it. And you have you have Bush come in and then obviously become the president, but because of the unpopularity of the neo cons Texas also winds up becoming kind of this incubator of the backlash, the conservative backlash to Bush too, and and Paxton embodies that to some extent because he literally defeats a Bush as part of his his rise to power right like much later on, But that is interesting to me.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I think the way to really understand that texaschuoki is for the longest time it was this coalition of you know, big big business interests, specifically oil. But then you know, you had the evangelical cohort and they kind of existed in harmony.
Speaker 17: With each other for a while.
Speaker 10: You know, there were obviously rough patches for the party, but you know, overcoming you know, the the democratic establishments that had ruled the state for so long, I think kind of, you know, it's much easier to stick together when when everyone's winning. But then out of this, oh but out of the Obama years, in the post Obama years, you have this Tea Party movement that is you know, really led by Ken Pax and these billionaires to many degrees, they turned their sights on those in the party.
Speaker 17: So again you have.
Speaker 10: Just this really really ugly early days of what turns into a full on civil war within the party, where you know, people who in most other states would be considered you know, the most far right member of the legislature are being branded like rhinos and traders and this is you know, this is in the pre Trump era before that was kind of the I guess, you know, animating philosophy.
Speaker 17: Of you know, kind of you know, borrowing from this no enemies to the right framework.
Speaker 10: That was something that was really I think defining and all of what's happening in Texas first and not nationally.
Speaker 2: And do you have a sense personally of when can sort of ultra right beliefs begin. Is this something that's always a thing for him or is this something that he adopts opportunistically.
Speaker 1: Is it becomes clear that that's the future of the party.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it's a really tough question and something I think a lot of us have spent a lot of time trying to figure out. He almost is so emblematic of the direction of the text Europe in general that it's almost impossible to differentiate whether you know, he always harbored these beliefs and then translated that into political momentum towards them, or if the political momentum broke in towards you know, it's a chicken and egg situation home. But I will say that, you know, starting as soon as he becomes Attorney general, he really starts to use that position to aid the political objectives both on social policy but also on campaign finance reform. You know, all these other issues really start to push the state and the state party towards the I guess policy positions of this far right billionaire.
Speaker 17: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now when it comes to Ken himself, his first big scandal is kind of like a bribery allegation, right is I'm recalling?
Speaker 10: Yes, So in twenty eleven, when he is still a state Rep. He meets at a dairy queen with the CEO of a software company Fary Texas. As we continue this conversation, you're going to notice there's a lot of fast food. Yeah, this man loves a fast food joint.
Speaker 2: You know what North Texas born in well, not born but raised, so I do get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Anyways, so he meets this guy to dairy queen and again this is all allegedly. This court case was settled I think in twenty twenty four, but basically the allegation from the SEC which later indicted him was that he was offered one hundred thousand shares in this new company. Ken Paxon claims that he tried to pay the CEO for the shares, and the CEO is like, no, God told me to give this to you.
Speaker 17: You can't give me any money.
Speaker 10: And then so Paxton allegedly goes on and sells something like, you know, almost a million dollars worth of shares in this company to people without allegedly telling him that he was also an investor. So he gets indicted in twenty fifteen on selling a security fraud, and that charge is kind of hanging over his head for the next almost ten years, and as we'll get into, is kind of like just looming off in the distance for all of its political rise, but also plays an important part of his impeachment. But there's one other scandal that you know, wasn't criminal that kind of predates the impeachment, which is that in twenty fourteen, as he's running for attorney general, he is at a courthouse in the Dallas area and there's a video of this A guy in front of him in the security line leaves one thousand dollars month ten in the in the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is my one of my favorite KPEX.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, there's this little video of Ken Paxton just kind of plucking it out there and putting into his pocket and yeah, so saw something.
Speaker 2: He liked it, he took it pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, that is beautiful. And we have a lot more beautiful Kin Paxtan stories to come. But first some ads and we're back.
Speaker 2: I guess one of the things that occurs to me, just kind of as i've every time I've looked over Kin's background, is how much of his election history is ran unopposed in the primary, ran against a Democrat who had no chance of victory, right Like, once he gets in this isn't totally the case, but once he gets into office, a lot of his elections are almost like a rubber stamp pro forma soda deal kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think that I'd have to go back and look at the actual margins, but I think that he is actually historically kind of lagged behind, you know, as far as the margins he's winning by have always kind of lagged behind what other top.
Speaker 17: Republicans are winning. Bye.
Speaker 10: Yeah, in twenty eighteen you start to see some cracks. Yeah, and then in twenty twenty is when you start seeing you know, the.
Speaker 17: Courre quote establishment Texas GOP starting.
Speaker 10: To fund his opponents and ultimately that doesn't work and lays the groundwork for I guess the kind of conspiracy theories around his impeachment, which I'm sure we'll get there.
Speaker 2: It is interesting that Kim has never been a great campaigner. He's benefited from the Republican Party's dominance in Texas and like the abount of funding and whatnot that he's able to raise his result of that, But as you said, he's like lagged behind other Republicans in terms of like his electoral performance, and he has had some real close squeakers in the past too, which is one of the reasons why, like this current election is so interesting. But what do you think the Republican Party, the state party starts to turn against him. What is it that does that? Is it just sort of the weight of scandals that this guy accumulates, because we've only talked about a couple of them, or is it something else?
Speaker 10: I think that again, he becomes very emblematic of this far right flank of the Texas GOP that is funded by Tim Dunferis Wilkes, Like, there's this moment in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen ish where the Texas House and the Texas legislature has just gotten out of this brutally you know, controversial session where they were you know, doing early versions of the bathroom build There was really just acrimonious within the party. And there are these quotes of these I guess, you know, we would call them more moderate Republicans, but again still very right wing in any other state.
Speaker 17: Yeah, but they come out.
Speaker 10: You know, there's a famous quote from then, you know, the man who became the House speaker basically says, you know, we're done bashing the gays, basically trying to move the party away from these you know, I guess, for lack of a better term, culture war issues, that really the far right flank is trying to coalesce around. Yeah, and I think that Ken Paxton is is very much seen as.
Speaker 17: A as a kind of you know, emblem of.
Speaker 10: That flank that for a while looked like it was, you know, on the verge of being on the outs of Texas politics.
Speaker 17: I mean, if you go back to that summer before his impeachment.
Speaker 10: There are so many different things that happened in the lead up to that where you're like, oh, this Tim Dunferris Wilk's network looks like, you know, this is a death rattle moment for it, and instead of dying, it becomes more powerful than ever and starts exporting all of its stuff nationally.
Speaker 3: Why why do you think that is?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: How the fuck does this guy?
Speaker 2: Sorry, how is this guy though, the one who manages to like reincarnate himself at this moment that should have been his end?
Speaker 3: A I think I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not an answer to that, but I guess I'm yeah, your feeling's on it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So before we got on, I just was like, I need to almost refresh myself on everything that happened with his impeachment. And at the time, I was covering it like turn of this crew, like wall to wall coverage every single second of the impeachment hearing. And I don't think unless you were paying that much, you know, intimate attention to everything that was going on, people are fully capable of under standing just like how wide ranging and frankly insane the entire episode was.
Speaker 17: And I think because of that, it was really easy.
Speaker 10: For Ken Paxon's defenders, both in the in teachment hearing and you know, just.
Speaker 17: Outside in the political realm.
Speaker 10: It was much easier for them to take this complicated scandal and turn it into just a oh, this is a witch hunt. They're going after Ken Paxon because they can't get to you. It's worth also backtracking here. Yeah, there are a significant number of people, because of this Tim Dunn and Ferris Wilkes operation, that believe fundamentally that the Texas legislature and state has been under the control secretly of Democrats for more than like twenty years. I mean, this is this is how successful this is. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it sounds insane, but it's the truth. And so you know, when Ken Paxton gets impeached, he becomes again this stand in for everything that these people, you know, fear about, this supposed democratic rhino cabal. And I think that that, coupled with just like the complexity and often absurdity of the impeachment charges more broadly, really insulates him in a way that turns him into a folk hero once he survives the impeachment.
Speaker 2: Great, I mean, yeah, that's that's as much sense as I think can be made of the Kiin Paxton story. Sure, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it's this whole thing, you know, And I've noticed this even just in my time covering tech of politics is there used to be a moment where if we wrote a negative story about someone there were maybe not consequences, but like people cared.
Speaker 17: And now it's not only that people don't care, it's to be attacked by the quote unquote.
Speaker 10: You know, liberal media is in and of itself a badge of honor that like, yeah.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and I think that he really exemplifies that.
Speaker 1: They're waiting for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, how would you describe kin Paxton as an attorney general? Which is kind of because obviously he's a state legislator too before that, but like he's most known and has been most influential as the ag.
Speaker 1: How would you describe his work?
Speaker 10: I think that he has done a remarkable job of advancing a once non explicit but now explicit Christian nationalist movements that is very far right in its views on immigration, LGBTQ rights, abortion, and basically every other social issue. I mean, he has used his office, as you know, at times a pretty blunt instrument in this.
Speaker 17: I guess the lack of a better term, culture war.
Speaker 10: Has used it to investigate political groups on the left, has used it to advance twenty twenty election fraud, conspiracy theories. I mean named something within the hodge you know, the Hodgepodge of right wing kind of culture war issues.
Speaker 17: And I guarantee you he has used his officer being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some questionable decisions that attorneys under him have made about some specific relevant cases, including a pedophile that's one of the biggest most recent scandals against Ken. I talk about this on the ed that we did a week or so ago, And one of the things that you have to like encounter looking at him is that throughout all of these horrible things that he and people have done kind of as part of his office, none of it has knocked him out. Like and you get interesting quotes from different people who have run against him that are all variants of like, well, I had all of these opposition files, but also we had to make a decision of like how much to talk about it because there's so much out here, and like, what more do you say about Ken? If you're trying to run against him?
Speaker 1: It could matter?
Speaker 10: Now, Yeah, I mean I think that he has a similar you know ethos as Trump, where it's like, yeah, people have heard so much about him for so long that they just kind of you know, at least amongst amongst a lot of the Republicans, they've been able to just tune it out entirely. I mean, going back to his impeachment, which you know, that is an episode onto itself everything that happened.
Speaker 17: But the people who were who brought.
Speaker 10: About Ken Paxson's impeachment were top deputies in the Oag's office. One of them would is almost confirmed for a federal judge ship in like twenty nineteen, but was deemed too anti trans at the time to survive a Senate confirmation.
Speaker 1: Here, my god.
Speaker 10: Another one of these guys went on to be a vice president and Alliance Defending Freedom, the group that you know, I been kind of the tip of the legal spear in the Christian nationalist movement.
Speaker 3: Yeah so not the Wokes.
Speaker 10: No, Arguably, some of the most right wing people now argue some of the most right wing people in the world at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would argue some of the most right wing.
Speaker 10: People in yes, right, And I mean we're talking, you know, like the platonic ideal of a Texas Ranger, like people who by all extent and purposes should be people who are taking very seriously by the Republican voters in Texas, and yet yeah, he again because of you know, just there's something about Ken.
Speaker 17: I don't know, man, that's.
Speaker 1: So fucking weird. There's something about Ken.
Speaker 2: And there's also something about the sponsors of this show, who we're going to go back to for a minute and then we'll return. All right, we're back. So Kim Paxton is currently running for Senate. He just defeated John Cornyn for the primary and he's running against Democrat James Tellerico. And I brought this up on Edie last week. But it's close, and at least according to one pole, currently Tellerico is ahead one pole isn't head by a good bit. Most of what I've seen has them like pretty much neck and neck. There's a few big differences with this election so far and all of Kin's previous elections. One is that he does not have a gigantic advantage in funding, and in fact, tell Rico currently has a lot more money on hand. And the other is that, at least per some of the most recent polling, tell Rico is actually beating him with non college educated voters. That's the heartland for Kim Paxton. So yeah, it's very unclear what's going to happen again. I would say it's smarter to say this is a neck and neck then tall Rico is ahead. But yeah, how did we get here?
Speaker 10: I mean, I think a couple of important things. One, James tell Rico has I think that he has done it good. And maybe this is just the religion reporter in me. I think he has done a good job of finding palable messaging around Christianity in ways that like can appeal to the you know, republican leading white Christian voter of Texas. That coupled with his kind of you know, campaigning frequently on you know, it's not left versus right, it's top versus bottom. That kind of stuff I think is playing really well here. The other thing about Paxton, though, is that you know, we've I've mentioned Tim Dunn and Ferris Wilkes in this conversition a bunch of times because they really are crucial to this story. They both have basically entirely pulled out from supporting it in the Senate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is really interesting.
Speaker 10: Ferris Wilkes as a result of some very long story. But in twenty twenty three, there was reporting I did about their network having, you know, meeting with Nick Fuentes and having a bunch of ties to other pretty avowed white nationalists. There was a big fallout in that network, and that from what I understand, drou Ferris Wilkes out of politics entirely, and at the same time, Tim Dunn was adamantly opposed to Ken Paxton running for Senates from everything that we've heard, and so it wasn't until literally, I think on Monday, Tim Dunn's one of the super PACs spent one hundred thousand dollars to send out text messages against Tallariico, that we saw any kind of movement from Tim Dunn or Ferris Wilkes in support of Paxton. And I think that that does actually kind of speak to their level of concern that you know, they have sat out all of this for almost two years now and suddenly with three months ago, are getting engaged.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's it's really been kind of stirring to see I'm not resigned as I usually am in a Kin pax An election to like, well, clearly at some point he's just going to like leap frog ahead of this fucker and wind up back in office, is he? And maybe that'll happen, but it doesn't feel like it. It doesn't feel like that's the only thing that could happen, I should say.
Speaker 10: Right, And you know, to be fair, there's this kind of myth that Texas is secretly blue, if it's just a voter turnout, probably that's not true.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 10: No, Texas is solidly read in order to win statewide here, Like there's a reason why Beto when he ran here, he went to every single one of our two hundred and fifty four counties. Yeah, it's because you have to really turn out world voters.
Speaker 3: And try to make personal connections with him.
Speaker 17: Yeah, exactly. Because of that, it's easy for Republicans in.
Speaker 10: The state to wave away any kind of for momentum from a Democratic.
Speaker 17: State white candidate.
Speaker 10: But if you look at the polling in this race between Tallarrican Paxson, like Tall Rico has been pulling way ahead of where Beto was, where any you know, comparable Democratic state white candidate has been over the last you know, thirty years. And I think that that kind of you know, disbelief amongst Republicans that this state could ever elect to Tall Rico or flip blue. I think is potentially left them kind of asleep at the wheel and made a lot of them much more willing to support someone like Paxton despite his many flaws, as canit.
Speaker 2: So I guess as we close out here, is there anything else you wanted to say about Ken anything we didn't get to that you think is really important to talk about?
Speaker 10: I mean, do we have forty five more minutes we can talk about his impeachment?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean get a little.
Speaker 10: Bit, you know, I'm just going to read my notes, just just a few fun things. Sure, fast food joints in all capital. Yes, Walter Junior from breaking bad with somehow involved.
Speaker 17: There's a lot there, not directly involved, but his family. It was insane and yeah awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, is there is there any reading you'd recommend to the listeners on the contacts and impeachment?
Speaker 10: Honestly, there's four thousand pages of court documents.
Speaker 17: I think that's it. I mean someone's got to do a story about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, okay, well maybe we'll maybe we'll hire you to do that.
Speaker 17: If we can't, yeah, we'll get Won't Junior on it?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you know, I did want to say because it's very wrong when people think that Texas is like a secret blue state. But it's also not read in the way most of the red and it isn't necessarily read in the way that that people think of it, because like I think back to my family who are like, we're like solidly read and would never vote for a Democrat. But like my mom didn't own guns and didn't really think they should be legal, and was very much like pro abortion. She was culturally a Republican, And that's like an important thing like that. It's not just a belief system, it's that that is your culture and your team. And so much of the difficulty is there are a lot of people in Texas who'se values personally certainly do not align with a man like Ken Paxton, but breaking rank is not a doable thing for a lot of them.
Speaker 1: I don't know how else to.
Speaker 2: Describe it, Like it's it would be like getting someone who was born and raised rooting for the Packers to like support the Dallas Cowboys in a game against the Packers or something like. It's that fucking kind of mindset in a lot of ways.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I think that the other thing about it is kind of the ethos of Texas politics for the longest time has been this real antipathy towards you know, DC, Like one of the things that it's it's always been kind of you know, we're not DC, and like kind of the circus of it all. It plays here differently. There's circus here, but it's a different circus.
Speaker 17: I guess. So what you have is like a lot of these people. Again, the other thing about Texas is.
Speaker 10: It's just so dam big, Like there are parts of Texas that are closer like there's a part of Textar, Canada that's closer to Chicago than it is. They'll passo and I think that like people, yeah, really don't understand what that does to the politics here, as far as just like making people view politics as this really far off thing off in the distance that like it's like a libertarian almost like you know, don't don't mess with me and I won't engage with you kind of ordeal. And as I think that the state has become more dcified, for lack of a better term, I think that that's starting to really test some of these you know, some of that kind of mentality you were speaking to and then you add on you know, well, the fact that the schools here are just really in bad shape, or doing school voucher legislation, all of these things that like are actually rural issues are being kind of flipped on their head.
Speaker 17: And I think that that has the.
Speaker 10: Potential maybe not to flip those voters, but if enough of them stay home and you.
Speaker 17: See enough energy in the cities, like that isn't enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, that is enough. And like as individuals, some of those people can flip on a candidate. You know, they might not flip party wise, they're certainly a lot less likely to vote for like a Democrat for president. That may be completely out of the question, but you might be able to get them to vote for a senator or something like that. Like that's not impossible for everybody. And it certainly looks like I think he's got about four or five percent of Republican voters voting for him right now.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean he's got a lot of crossover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is a good amount of crossover, by the way, Like that's low and objective numbers, but it's pretty good for a candidate in Texas, right right, right, cool, All right, Well, that has been a brief version of the Kim Paxton story. We'll have more about kpas in the future, and hopefully we'll have Robert back as well. You have anything you want to plug before we end here.
Speaker 10: Just I'm on Blue Sky at Robert Downdon. Subscribe to Texas Monthly for twenty five dollars. You can get two years of print magazine and digital editions. So good, best deal on journal awesome.
Speaker 3: Check that out.
Speaker 2: Please do sign up and yeah, we'll be back probably tomorrow. Anyway, go do something else.
Speaker 7: Now, this is it could happen here in Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what this means for you. I am Garrison Davis. Today I'm joined by Nia Wong, James Stout, Robert Evans, and special correspondent Margaret Kiljoy.
Speaker 1: Who want my correspondent Hi.
Speaker 7: For some small things. White House Press Secretary Carolyn Levitt will be stepping down to spend more time with her family. At twenty seven, she was the youngest person ever appointed to the position. Now, I don't comment on women's age or appearance, and yeah, I don't comment on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do want to mention that when we say stepping down to spend more time with her family. This is the first time I've ever seen this where that is actually true. This is true, she did have a baby, actually legitimately doing that and not.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I just assumed you are speaking euphemistically about like basically fired she did have, not a euphemism.
Speaker 7: Actually actually some seems to really like her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unfortunately she sucks, but yeah, just just just to clarify, not an euphemism, actually doing that.
Speaker 7: On the ninth anniversary of the Unite the Right rally, a former employee of the Southern Poverty Law Center has been arrested on fraud charges for payments to informants within white nationalist organizations. We talked about the indictment against SBOC the organization a few months ago. This is the first charge against a specific individual. For some other small items. Let's throw to James Stout.
Speaker 18: I'm going to start by saying some small things. The Texas Land Commissioner has sent a cease and assist to CBP Customs of Border Protection, claiming they illegally cleared state land to begin.
Speaker 4: Border wall construction. Quote.
Speaker 18: Texas sovereignty will not be infringed. By failure to follow established protocol, said Commissioner Buckingham, quote, My office has a proven track record of strong border enforcement, and I applaud efforts to protect our border. I am committed to maintaining a positive relationship with CBP, but we will not allow rogue actors who breached our agreement to undermine the incredible work we.
Speaker 4: Do for Texas.
Speaker 18: The second quotation I've included there was oddly missing from lots of people's commentary on this, because I think the people who make money from clicks or just have a relationship with clicks which is not healthy or good for them, wanted to portray this as like Texas is going woke and fighting Trump, and no they're not. Don't be silly. Read the thing. It's in the press release. Secondly, Al Monitor reported that the United States was withdrawing its last forces from a bill amidst Iran's campaign strikes on the region. The United States has a pre agreed withdrawal with a deadline of September thirtieth, but another source told The New Arab that they had not left and that they had relocated them closer to the consulate. So the United States will be withdrawing from this region, probably relatively soon. But it seems that at the time they didn't leave as people had feared, but they relocated. Keeping with the theme of the United States war in Iran, CNN reported last week that the Kentigon was looking for outside the box thinking in its war with Iran. Quote, we are looking for new and creative and unconventional ways to pressure and punish Iran, an officer in the United States Central Commands Intelligence Branch wrote in a message sent Wednesday into a broad group of military analysts. According to a source familiar with a message, this is fucking spectacular, right.
Speaker 7: It sounds like a San Francisco startup trying to make like AI powered coffee or something.
Speaker 1: I had to shake up the coffee industry.
Speaker 18: Yeah, can we disrupt the bombing Iran marketing guys?
Speaker 1: Yeah, move fast and break things in the in the regime of collective punishment. Yeah, it's what we're doing now.
Speaker 18: Except that moving fast and breaking things was kind of plan A. So God knows what will come out of this, but I can't wait to see. I'm sure it'll be exciting and fun. I received news from the PAK that's the Kurdistan Freedom party, different party from PGAAK, the Kurdistan Free Life Party. They let me know that an assassination attempt was made in a bill. Again, it's mukri Yas Danpana. He's the son of their leader, the leader of the Kurdistan Freedom Party.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 18: He was injured and he's currently under medical care in a hospital. They didn't want to make a formal statement about this either than clarifying that that had happened. It appears someone tried to shoot him in a bill. A bill, if you're not familiar, is the capital of the Kurdistan Autonomous Region of Iraq. Then this is not the first time that I'm just going to go ahead and assume that this is an Iranian state linked assassination attempt. I think that's a reasonable assumption to make. Not the first time that this happened in a bill, and it is pretty clear that this is the Iranian government continuing its attempt to punish Eastern Kurdish parties for the United States aggression. Right, which we can draw a line all the way back to the reporting we did late winter early spring of this year on people who were suggesting that there was going to be a Kurdish ground component to the United States war in Iran, which as of yet there has not been. This has continued to have consequences for these parties. Right, and then finally from me, I want to talk about these two executive orders. The President has written a pair of executive orders this week aimed at reducing the number of people eligible for citizenship by birth right. And basically what they've done here, and I would suggest to people wanting more context and I'm able to give here, go back to our Supreme Court special episode of ED they've did a few weeks ago where I talked at length about the fourteenth Amendment and the one kim Ark case. They've taken the exemptions that I outlined there and they've tried to kind of stick a crow bar in there and leave of them open as far as it can would be the way that I would describe it. And particularly they've looked at the exemptions for foreign diplomats and for invading armies, one for vessels in the United States waters PA's the most significant one is the one that is meant for invading armies.
Speaker 4: And when I say invading.
Speaker 18: Armies, I want to be clear what I mean. This is like Mexico decides that eighteen forty eight wasn't the end and they want some of that landbag, so they decide to invade the United States. They push up into San Diego. Right, they say they're in, They've liberated Cardiff by the Sea, and one of their soldiers gives birth.
Speaker 4: Well, they're here.
Speaker 18: That Baily would not be a United States citizen because that person was engaged in an invasion of the United States. Right. What the Trump administration here has gone for is adding quote either parent of that person is an alien enemy, defined to include any member of a designated foreign terrorist organization under a USC eleven eighty nine, especially designated global terrorists. Now we have to remember they have added a number of groups to the FDO list, and that they have attempted to define people as members of those groups using absolute bullshit criteria like having a tattoo. Right, That is the one that might be what they are going for here. I if I had one where I suspect they will try and use this en mass, it will be that one using that same criteria that the earlier used to send people to Si Good right near Olsalblor. They also added a broader away of people who have worked to work for foreign governments. They also add quote, the person is born in a territory or territorial water the United States to a citizenship is not conferred by federal statute. That refers to American Samoa. Now we're covering this next week actually in an episode with Carlos Belio Polanco, but just very briefly, there is actually a bill to remove birth or a citizenship from people in American It's not going to go anywhere, but it just it's a signal of where the right is out on this, which is they're trying to remove as access to being an American from as many people as possible United States American the second egective order to take to swing what the right cause birth tourism. Right birth tourism has been a thing on like the VD air tendency has been obsessed with this for a long time. My Nottal quote is a lot. You can go back to an episode in November twenty twenty four they did with Sophie and Robert and you can hear us talking about the rights concern with this, that the phenomenal they're talking about represents it generously if we define it a fraction of a single percent of babies born in the United States every year. It would already be fraud to enter on a tourist visa with the intent of delivering your child here so that they could be a citizen. But nonetheless, this is kind of a bugbear for the right, and so they are attempting to clamp down on specifically, like they believe that there are these giant companies sort of shipping people in to deliver their children. It's worth noting some people do come to United States to deliver because the United States has very good medical care compared to other paths of the world. Will be it also very expensive medical care, so people who might have the means to access that might choose to come to liver or simply let's say you reside in Mexico but work in the United States and have health insurance in the United States, you might come here to liiver your baby. Right, there are reasons why people might do that. Nonetheless, it is a very limited phenomenon, but it is a thing that the right has been talking about for some time and it's shocking to see the jump administration going as to this. Again, these will wings to be challenging courte We will see.
Speaker 4: How it goes.
Speaker 1: In other news, the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve is under three hundred million barrels, which is the lowest level it has been since the US started filling it in the nineteen seventies. It was created in response to the nineteen seventies OPEC embargo. The Trump administration has been draining the strategic reserve in order to attempt to stabilize the price of oil as a result of his war in Iran. Now, the administration has stated that it will be refilling the strategic reserve next year. However, paired with Trump's statement that quote, we are low keying it. We are only semi negotiating with them. We are just watching the Ran with its hues inflation and the fact they have no money, it is unclear how the reserve would be refilled because the war does not seem to actually have a way to end. It is also unclear whether the US will succumb to likewise having no money and huge inflation in the meantime.
Speaker 7: That seems bad. Low keying it.
Speaker 1: It's not great. It's not great. One of the things I should sort of mention is that part of the reason the economy is still functioning is that the analysis from places like JP Morgan from the financial sector has been based on the fact that this war will end, and every week that it continues and every week that there seems to be no potential way for it to end, increases the likelihood that the bankers will figure out that this war is not going to end and that everything is just like this now. So that is a financial collapse warning.
Speaker 19: I feel like that's been like everyone has just been trying to figure out, like, why has this not collapsed the economy yet? And so I'm always curious your take on why hasn't this collapsed the economy yet? Because everything points to this should collapse the economy. Yeah, but it keeps stumbling on. Energy prices are skyrocketing, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean basically it's because it's not in the interest of the people who have money to believe that it will. So they're still behaving as if eventually it's going to end in actually, the prices are going to come down, and eventually everything from you know, petroleum defertilizer that comes through the shaff about is simply going to be available again. And the moment they realize that it's not the.
Speaker 7: Pyramid collapses speaking of money, Robert, So yeah, for my little thing today, I mean, it's a little thing in terms of how I guess important the story is at this point, but it's a big thing in terms of the amount of money being discussed, because.
Speaker 2: Y'all remember back when Elon Musk bought Twitter and see what he yeah, he shared it. There should be a website called Twitter Garrison.
Speaker 3: It's before your time. It's what X became. Oh X Yeah, No, I love ac the everything out the everything.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when when Musk bought Twitter, he promised that he was going to take for like forty billion dollars. He was going to take the company's AD revenue for about four and a half billion dollars, which is what Twitter made an AD revenue twenty twenty one, to twelve billion dollars by twenty twenty seven. Sure, and also there'd be billions more in subscription income right now, given that it is currently last I checked pretty late in twenty twenty six. Actually, we're like most of the way through the year. You would expect Twitter's AD revenue to be pretty close to twelve billion dollars, right, Like if I'm extrapolating from four and a half billion in twenty twenty one to twelve billion in twenty twenty seven, we should be somewhere on.
Speaker 3: Nine or ten billion right now.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know that's not where we are, and there's a really good article in techtered. But and the reason why we know all this is because once once Musk bought Twitter, it's not being a public company, right, so you don't have any fucking knowledge at all about really what's going on inside a private company, right in terms of it's like revenue and stuff. But because Musk recently folded X into SpaceX and these AI company, he had to include a bunch of revenue information. This came out in what's called their ten Q filing, and tech Dirt has has done an analysis of it that I'm going to quote from. Now, all of X's revenue is now misleadingly labeled AI revenue, But even then the reporting has to admit AD revenue took a big hit, dropping one hundred and sixty million compared to the first half of twenty twenty five, which is already way way lower than when Elon took over the site, going from eight hundred and seventy million in twenty twenty five to seven hundred and ten million in the first half of twenty twenty six. The company tries to claim this decrease in AD revenues because they transitioned to a new advertising platform which impacted AD sales for a short period of time, which is a curious explanation given that on the analyst call, CFO Brett Johnson credited that very same overhauled ad tech platform for the very slight quarter over quarter uptick in AD revenue. The same overhaul apparently both tanked the business and rescued it, depending on which direction the number was moving. And yeah, so within the second quarter of last year to this year to where we are at now, AD revenue has dropped from four hundred and twenty six million to three hundred and sixty seven million year over year, and in no way, shape or form is Twitter anywhere close to the numbers that Elon Musk claimed they would be in right now. In the second quarter of twenty twenty two, which is the last full quarter before Elon bought the company, Twitter brought in about one point eight billion dollars in AD revenue. By the second quarter of twenty twenty six X brought in three hundred and sixty seven million dollars.
Speaker 1: Is that bad?
Speaker 2: That is a reduction of seven hundred and thirteen million dollars a quarter. In other words, from tech Dirt, Elon has wiped out two thirds of Twitter's ad business over the exact period in which you promised investors seed nearly triple it.
Speaker 1: It's just incredible. It's just fun.
Speaker 3: That's just a good time.
Speaker 7: I wonder how much like the recent drop off can also be attributed to, like right wing political content getting much less engagement following Trump taking office than what it was near twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four when I was, you know, driving a lot of traffic to the site.
Speaker 3: That's got to be part of it.
Speaker 2: Part of it has to be also that aislop has reduced the value, because we're seeing this at Facebook stars across the board, like all of them are seeing reductions in like in user engagement because people don't like the slot very much. Yeah, this isn't one thing, and well, honestly, as funny as it is, you can't even just blame it on Elon, although you can blame it on things Elon has championed pretty much entirely, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, just a fun little story.
Speaker 17: Sweet.
Speaker 19: I have one short piece that I brought today which is in a story of good stuff, of people doing cool stuff against bad stuff. There is a tree sit that is currently blocking construction of the border wall in Arizona. Hell yeah, yeah, no, it's it's I'm really excited about it. To quote a write up from crimethink dot com about it. Quote, two weeks ago, one protester decided it was time to block the machine that was about to destroy the last of our four ancient cottonwood trees that stood in the way of the walls construction. A sheriff arrested him. He was released twelve hours later with no charges filed. This arrest galvanized the community. Less than two days later, friends installed a platform in the tree end quote, and it seems to be ongoing as of this recording. And if you want more information about the group who is stopping construction of the border wall, you can read the whole piece on crimething dot com, which is entitled the border is an open wound.
Speaker 1: Speaking of open wounds, or I guess I'm gonna call you our crime correspondent positive. Margaret has another story about things that are open wounds in the face of our society. I did pitch that.
Speaker 19: If y'all ever need someone to come on and talk about crimes that I approve of, I am always happy to talk about crimes that I approve of. And this week I can bring you really positive news, really happy news that you can file under direct action gets the goods because today, as we record this August twelfth, twenty twenty six, two days before you're listening to it, the police in the town of Winona, Minnesota, have given up not entirely. They announced that they will not be replacing the eight Flock license plate reader cameras that were stolen last week because on or about August third, well on August third, the police department in Winoda, Minnesota, reported a terrifying loss in just one night, every single one of their eight flot cameras, their automated license plate readers that tracked every single person who came in and out of the city that were set up in pairs along all the ways in and out, All eight of them were cut down and stolen. I said, on just one night. Book the cops don't actually know when it happened. It happened sometime between July twenty ninth and August first, and they only noticed when eventually the cop was like, look of our cameras aren't talking to us anymore. So they only noticed a while later. Each camera and its poll cost about three thousand dollars, so there's a total of twenty four thousand dollars in theft. The crime wasn't noticed for days. The WPD also said that some flot cameras in Buffalo County, which is a Wisconsin county just up from or across the river from there, were also cut down, probably on July twenty ninth. And when the police reported this theft to social media, over nine hundred people commented on the police's post, which takes more nerve. I don't comment things on politicians or police departments posts personally, not very often.
Speaker 1: And when I do, a delete it and call my lawyer.
Speaker 19: And so nine hundred people commented on the post, almost universally in support of the action.
Speaker 1: As reported by the Winona Post.
Speaker 19: One comment or put it, it's almost like people don't want to be washed twenty four to seven. And so today Winona Police Department declared surrender They put out a press release saying how important the cameras have been for solving crime, but even more important to them than solving crime is building community trust, which they clearly have lost, and so they will not be replacing the cameras. Flock Safety is a brand name of automated license plate readers ALPRs. At this rate, flock is probably kind of becoming the generic. Yeah, like, I will run across headlines that say flock like cameras that will be talking about something from Axos or other places Axon crap, I don't remember else, Axon, thank you.
Speaker 1: It'll probably become the generic.
Speaker 19: I'm working on a longer piece about the revolt against these cameras, but it is getting hot this summer. Red state, Blue state people just fucking hate the idea that they're being tracked everywhere they go. Cop after cop has been caught using them to stalk their exes, and it seems very likely that if we stay a democracy, the style of surveillance will be found to be a violation of the Fourth Amendment. Because similar technologies keep getting found to be violations of the Fourth Amendment. You know, eventually they're like, oh, you actually do need a warrant to look at someone's cell phone data, that kind of thing, you know. Yeah, but here is a highlight reel among dozens or hundreds of other acts of vandalism against these cameras. In June, a forty year old man named Marcus B in Monterey, California, is alleged most of these people have not been convicted yet or will never be convicted, is alleged to have destroyed three cameras with his truck. He's on camera doing this. They alleged he simply ran down a bunch of these cameras. He has bowl bars on the front of his truck, so he just goes like, I got big, I'll pick up drug and bullbars, and he just knocked them over. Possibly another one he attached maybe a toast strap or a chain and yanked it up out of the ground with his truck. Also in June, a twenty one year old in Alexandria, I'm just going to present the opposite kind of person doing this. Probably in June, a twenty one year old in Alexandria, Virginia on the opposite coast, is accused of climbing atop a Subaru forester to smash a flock camera with a baseball bat on a day where at least five other cameras were destroyed in the area. The suspect was caught by flock cameras. Houston has seen a rash of vandalism. One night, four poles were cut down and left lying in the grass with their cameras still attached, but all during July, cameras have been spray painted and smashed and cut down in Houston. Last year, Eugene, Oregon wound up canceling its flock contract after only about six months of the cameras being up due to an apsolo massive public outcry that include lawsuits, statements before city council, and at least six cameras being destroyed. At the scene of one of the crimes, the vandals left a note that read ha ha ha get wrecked, Yes surveilling fucks.
Speaker 1: I love these people.
Speaker 19: Maybe the most public case is that in Suffolk, Virginia, Suffolk, oh where a forty one year old US Air Force engineer named Jeffrey S. Sovereign is facing felony charges for the destruction of thirteen flock cameras between April and October and twenty twenty five it is alleged that he used vice scripts to take apart the two piece polls and then took home the solar panels in the battery, possibly.
Speaker 1: To use for camping.
Speaker 19: That's what he said later when the cops raided his house and found solar panels there. His truck was tracked by other cameras near the scene of one of the crimes. The police put a GPS tracker on his vehicle, which is another thing that the Fourth Amendment. Eventually you actually have to get a warrant to put GPS trackers on people's cars. Now, his house was raided by the police, they found solar panels, and he is very open about being opposed to flock cameras and refers to them as a violation of the Fourth Amendment. But he has pleaded not guilty to the actual destruction. More recently, an independent candidate for the Tennessee House of Representatives, a thirty seven year old man named Adam lee Heimerman, is facing felony charges for allegedly shooting down four alpr's automated license plate readers in two counties between July fourteenth and July twenty second. One of the cameras he is alleged to have shot down was like during church services. He allegedly went out into the parking lot and there was one within shooting distance, so he just shot it from the church. A go fenby was set up and bailed him out of jail. Police in Long Island report that all summer cameras have been run over, spray painted, or simply had their wires unplugged or turned around to no longer face the street. Oh and there's also a guy in Florida who's just holding up signs that block them. He's retired. He's like a seventy seven year old retired Republican guy. So he just that's up lawn chairs and sits there with its signs on ten foot like painters polls, and just blocks the cameras fools. And when police or news report on these incidents, the posts are flooded with supportive comments, including those that indicate that people should look into jury and nullification. But of course, as cities canceled their Flock contracts, many of them are simply signing with other ALPR companies, like Denver, which ended its contract with Flock in February, but by March had signed up with another company, Axon for fifty cameras. So it's working, but people got to keep up that pressure legally or whatever, do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: It seems like these cameras have kind of mobilized this coalition of like the kind of leftist people who generally hate these things, different kinds of like civil libertarian from both kind of I guess, like the contemporaries of a libertarians tend to be on the left, and then the kind of old school Republican like why is the stay watching people? And then it also seems important that these are supposed to be licensed plate readers, which means they've pissed off just people who drive cars. Yeah, it's like you've declared war on motorists. Yeah, which is a demographic people that.
Speaker 19: I was reading this eighty eight percent of Americans drive a car on any given week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, this and data centers are the most red blue a movement that just has everyone being like, no, wait, I don't like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like the general text surveillance complex. It's just extremely unpopular right now and people are doing stuff about it. Yeah, which is good because it's been going on for a while.
Speaker 19: And yeah, I'm really excited that people are doing something about it. And yeah, I'm really really proud of Winona for canceling that contract. Like I know of people who've been convicted and done time for this, and you know, it's it's it's wider than what's being reported on.
Speaker 7: I think definitely the massive movement we're seeing around or against Flock right now is one of the biggest positive downstream impact of stop coop City, which was one of like the first movements really put Flock into focus because Flock cameras were being first tested out on the site. Flock is an Atlanta based company. The first kind of articles you started to see talking about Flock, where we're often in relation to to reporting around stop cop City or you know, activists discussing Flock is it's like a new emerging threat like years years ago, way before the public kind of realized that there's now these cameras cropping up in like every every city.
Speaker 19: I think you're right, and I also think that the stop cop City method of being both direct and also showing up a city council. Sure, you know, I think nothing is more effective than when those two groups support each other. Yeah, and you know the fact that when the cops says, don't worry, we are We're going to catch whoever did this, and everyone's like, nah, they were fishing with me last weekend, you know. But yeah, I think I think you're right about stop cup seity building a lot of the framework with which to understand this kind of thing.
Speaker 7: Let's go on an ad break and then hear from James again.
Speaker 4: And we're back.
Speaker 18: So this week, I want to talk about a couple of immigration stories not getting as much coverage. I thought I would start by talking about some training materials for immigration judges that Matthew Hopook obtained by Freedom of Information Act request. They're in a drop box which I will link in the show notes. It appears from these documents that the quote unquote judges, they are not judges in the sense that other judges are judges. Right, Immigration judges are effectively civil servants. They receive twelve week days of training. What yeah, Jesus Christ. Yeah, before this, many of the will have never seen an immigration case, right, And like, as someone who has covered immigration for oh my god, a decade, like this is the topic of byzantine complexity. Right, Immigration law is very complicated. I'm not going to do the thing where you like compare the training to barbers or something, because I don't think that's particularly useful here. I think all of us can understand that twelve days of training is not very much training to be making decisions which are life or death for people. Right. These can directly result in people as we saw recently with the couple who were found tied.
Speaker 4: Up and shot after being deported.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and there will be many more cases of that that we are not able to directly report just because no one has published them, or in places where people fear to publish them, than they won't have got out. Right, But we should be under no illution that deportation and asylum cases are life or death. Seven very complicated policy memoranda are packed into the last hour of the second day, so the foyer has the schedule the day by day skeate right. The entirety of asylum with holding of removal and the Convention against Torture are covered in a single day, and it's not the whole day. There's other stuff in that day. The materials also show that they provide templates to judges for making decisions, and they contain some errors and contradictions regarding the law as it stands today. The important context of this is that more than two hundred immigration judges have been fired since twenty twenty five, and two hundred and fifty have been hired. So there is a whole scale change in the immigration justice landscape, and it is being repopulated with people who have very little training. They do get a slide I was looking through the slide presentation, so they do get a slide on judicial independence, but the nature of their employment is different to a regular judge as I said earlier, and in their first two years are basically on like a probationary period, and they have very little right to appeal if they're fired. This is another example of things that the Trump administration is doing that will take years to remedy, even if the next government is amenable to trying to do so. Right Like, these are the people who are making decisions for thousands of people that are life or death. The second thing I want to talk about is a DOJ lawsuit against New York, Connecticut, and Vermond. The DOJ says it is quote challenging state laws that provide instate tuition to illegal aliens. The DOJ claims that quote, these laws unconstitutionally discriminate against US citizens who are not afforded the same reduced tuition or scholarships, create incentives for illegal immigration, and reward illegal aliens with benefits that US citizens are not eligible for, all in direct conflict with federal law. Now, they have been going after this for a while, right, The DOJ has been doing these suits since last year. In some Republican states Texas is when I think of I think Kansas maybe as well, definitely Texas. In some Republican states, state officials joined the DOJ in asking their policies to be vacated, so they obviously had success with those.
Speaker 17: Right.
Speaker 18: In Illinois, not a publican state, the dj won a case and had the in state's benefits declared unconstitutional based on a federal statute that reads, quote, notwithstanding any other provision of law, an alien who is not lawfully present in the United States shall not be eligible on the basis of residents within a state or political subdivision, for any post secondary education benefit, unless a citizen or national of the United States is eligible for such a benefit in no less amount, duration, and scope, without regard to whether the citizen or national is such a resident. So I would attempt to simplify that and explain it to people. But as we are about to find out, the very nuances of that text matter.
Speaker 7: I mean, this sort of was often complicated, but I was having trouble following what that means exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a fuck.
Speaker 18: Like if somebody wrote that sentence in a writing class I would teaching. I wouldn't be happy about it. It's a sentence that requires us alties circular breathing to read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 18: So in Minnesota there was a case like this. But because Minnesota uses attending a state high school to determine tuition fees, this is therefore not a residency test, right, so the residency part of that massive sentence matters. They also argued that the law says unless a citizen or national of the United States eligible for such a benefit, it does not say all citizens of the United States are eligible for such a benefit, and so Minnesota was able to show that a non Minnesota resident who did attend a Minnesota high school went to University of Minnesota was eligible for interstate tuition. So a US citizen would be eligible, all US citizens would not, And so they were able to hang their hat on those two things. Right, It's not about residency per se. A citizen could receive those benefits. I was looking around for residency requirements, and it seems that some of these states may be able to make a similar case to Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Others will not.
Speaker 17: Right.
Speaker 18: Some of them require residency in the more traditional like domiciled in a state. Yeah, perhaps driver's license rate, to vote, et cetera, et cetera. Right, and so it will be more challenging for some than others. Eventually, I imagine this is one of those things where we've already seen different decisions, right, and that's because different Stitts have different laws. But I'm sure this is one of those things that will eventually find its way to the Supreme Court in the next couple of years. Regardless, it's an attempt to drive undocumented people further into the shadows and create an underclass of underpaid labor without rights.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 18: People on the right constantly talk about assimilation. Are they used to? I think now they just straight up do more racis shit. But the active assimilation will be much harder if people cannot access education. Right. I am sure I have had hundreds of undocumented students come through my classroom. I'm not gonna be like, hands up if you're undocumented, right, I'm not going there's no need for me to know that. But I know that the universities I teach how to do a great deal and provide a great deal of resources to undocumented people. Our universities are better because of that. Having a diverse range of experiences and opinions in the classroom makes your classroom better. It will make it easier for people on the right to make these arguments that they're like stealing working class jobs right, because people will not have the qualifications they need to do other jobs. They will end up being underpaid and exploited. These policies, I should add, were relatively bipartisan when they were passed into twenty tens and even for the last quarter of the last century. True heads will recognize this from a show I did in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yes, my name is David Grosberg, and I'd like to know do you think that children of illegal aliens should be allowed to attend to public schools free or do you think that their parents should pay for their education?
Speaker 17: Who you're addressing that too? I thank you first looking right at you, I.
Speaker 19: Said, he was love.
Speaker 5: I'd like to see something done about the illegal alien problem that would be so sensitive and so understanding about labor needs and human needs that that problem wouldn't come up.
Speaker 17: But today, if.
Speaker 5: Those people are here, I would reluctantly say I think they would.
Speaker 9: They would get whatever it is.
Speaker 5: That they're you know, what the society is giving to their neighbors. But it has the problem has to be solved. The problem has to be solved because as we have kind of made illegal some kinds of labor that I'd like to see legal, we're doing two things. We're creating a whole society of really honorable, decent, family loving people that are in violation of the law. And secondly, we're exacerbating relations with Mexico. The chance the answer to your question is much more fundamental then whether they attend Houston schools. It seems to me, I don't want to see a whole if they're living here, I don't want to see a whole. I think as six and eight year old kids being made, you know, one totally uneducated and made to feel.
Speaker 1: That they're living with outside the law.
Speaker 3: Let's address ourselves to the fundamentals.
Speaker 5: These are good people, strong people. Part of my family is in Mexican.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that is a famous woke immigration advocate, George Herbert Walker Bush.
Speaker 7: That's really kind of mind blowing.
Speaker 18: It's genuinely remarkable, isn't it to look back? This is not that long ago. Yeah, none of us were alive then, I guess, But like, you know, these are people who people still look to as like contemporary political people who they admire.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 18: This is to the left of a lot of Democrats right now on immigration.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, a lot of Democrats would be scared to talk about, yes, immigration that way.
Speaker 18: Yeah, to say part of my family is Mexican, to say that, like I would never want to leave these children as an underclass like.
Speaker 1: That, Like, no, it's it's insane.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I mean, like this coupled with like the public charge rules, the concerted effort to increase this war on like the poorest, most marginalized people in our country and criminalize them and push them out of public life, compared to yeah, George H. W. Bush in the eighties is wild. Yeah, Like, it's remarkable that we have come. So I'm not saying that things were great in the nineteen eighties, to be clear.
Speaker 1: No, that's part of what makes it so wild.
Speaker 18: Right, Like these people did a bunch of really terrible shit, but like Reagan and Bush would both be on the very progressive flank of the Democrats with some of their policies on immigration today. I guess the way I would like to finish this segment, if we can come that far that fast, then we can come back a long way.
Speaker 4: Pretty quickly too.
Speaker 18: I think, yeah, yeah, it does take courage, especially from politicians, because, as Garrison said, like a lot of politicians feel like they're going to lose the center when in fact, like that position was a centrist position in many voters lifetimes. I think it just bears remarketub on how far we've come and how quickly we've got there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, jeez, I'm still just kind of in shocked. I mean, my whole life. I feel like the way I've heard debates are immigration, certainly on the Republican side, but also largely on the Democrats side, it's just pitting like workers against each other, yeah, and hearing a Bush talk about how no, we should like care for these people, they should be educated, Like why would we want to have these people who are living here be not educated, not able to actually live like a meaningful life. Yeah, it's a level of like humanity that I just have not really experienced in you know, politics, in my kind of living memory, and certainly on the Republican side.
Speaker 18: Like yeah, yeah, I mean George Walker Bush spoke Spanish, right, it was Walker's bed on named George W. Bush spoke Spanish. W's has been on name. I think it's a sea change since even then, right, Like, I think we can draw a pretty straight line from Obama's massive deportation campaign to today. For whatever people think of Obama, he deported a shit town of people. Yeah, the reason they called him the deporter in chief. But like, yeah, nine to eleven and then the grow and terror and in the Syrians of war, that certainly changed a discourse in Europe, right, And I think, yeah, I mean once we had little babies washing up dead on beaches, and politicians realized that that wasn't going to trigger people to get in the streets and fuck things up. Yeah, they knew that they could do an awful lot and not acknowledge, not acknowledge that humanity that George H. W. Bush acknowledge is in that.
Speaker 7: The other thing that's really interesting to me about this is like this is this is nineteen eighty Reagan is on stage here. Yeah, and how much of this this is also like a pretty determining fork in the road in some ways and like leading to like neoliberalism totally taking over. How state capacity gets completely completely reduced. And then you see this in like you know, the next Bush era and Obama and is getting accelerated with Trump. Is that their only solution to the problems caused by neoliberalism is not actually fixing neoliberal economics, but it has to be turning workers, I guess each other. Yeah, that is that is the last thing that they can do because they still serve capital. They still want to do neoliberal economics, but that system has completely stressed itself and has sabotaged the economy, wrecked housing and jobs, and so now, no, we should not actually fix those things or have the government care for people.
Speaker 1: But it is it's these other people.
Speaker 7: Who are you know, even more poor than you that are causing all of these problems.
Speaker 18: Right, like this pivot to scapegoating, yes, as opposed to like doing anything useful with it.
Speaker 3: I mean even Reagan, right, Reagan pisce the Irica.
Speaker 18: It was a massive amnesty, like to two point six two point seven million people something in that range. Yeah, were effectively like legalized by the Reagan administration. And to vault from that where we're at, as you say, like to vault from like the state trying to make any meaningful difference in making working class people's lives better, to escape growing one group so the other group doesn't complain about their own situation.
Speaker 4: It's very obvious.
Speaker 7: Every day for the past like month, Fox News has had a segment about the DSAS like amnesty for all immigrants, playing on their platform.
Speaker 18: Right, Yeah, I'm not alone in pointing out that like Reagan did a similar thing. I think, like, yeah, I'm sure lots of people have tried to dunk on them that way. But yeah, I heard like a right wing metal song about like three outdoor attention. Someone send it to me today. One of the funniest fucking things. But yeah, it for some reason it talked about the DSA amnesty, which is a hard thing to shoehorn into a metal song, but they did it, so I guess, right, well done. Congratulations. Yeah, that has become like the boogeyman of right wing politics from people. I guess, like, I know I talk about this student law. I would love to hear from this dude. I would love to talk to this dude. The dude who is walking around Minneapolis the day before Alex Pretty was killed with a sign that said what would Ronald Reagan do? And he was at the anti ice march, right like, yeah, huh, seriously, like genuinely, if anybody knows who that person is, please put that person in touch with me. Oh yeah, Like I think that is a type of person who we need to talk to right now. Yeah yeah, and like not make that person feel like they can't grow in other ways hopefully, you know. By Oh, I don't know, maybe there's just an ironic sign.
Speaker 4: And anyway, I'm fascinated to talk to that person.
Speaker 18: It's always real sad to me to look at these things and just be like, you know, like it's not that long ago that this was very bipartisan issue, and like now, once again I guess by part is and in that there is a complete agreement that people who tried to come here without part of the report of entry should die in numbers that are large enough to dissuade people from doing it, and if those numbers have to increase, and so be it. And that migrants should be treated as humans without rights like the Biden administration absolutely did that too. Yeah, and yeah it sucks.
Speaker 1: You know, if if if you want to look at what the actual policy disagreement is about, it's should you use the state to carry out a full on ethnic cleansing or should you use the states to simply commit heinous acts of violence?
Speaker 18: Yeah? It should the basis of this purge be some arbitrary line along the line from like full legal status to no legal status? Right, or should the basis of it be as it is now? Any one we can get out, we get out, like yeah, unlet's you're on that DSA like amnesty point when I guess, like, that's a different point. But it is not one that like the DNC is making us a whole.
Speaker 7: No, that is that is a it is I think it's useful to hold those things in distinction. Yes, at this point right now, it will that change over time?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 7: Will that hosts its own contradictions over time, maybe, but we will deal with those when they get there. Yeah, but mean, yeah, it seems the opinion of Trump now is no, not unless you pay me a million dollars for the gold cart or whatever, you are not allowed inside.
Speaker 18: It's mind boggling to think that this is the thing that, yeah, within my parents' lifetime was completely uncontroversial, even like I remember those you know, I was in the US when they passed those the situition things. This is at the same time, right where there was relatively bipartisan support for dreamers too. Yep, like when it was uncontroversial that those people who've grown up for nearly their entire lives here should be allowed to remain here. And all of that shit has gone now and then, like I guess, like the fact that there are some people who are so cowardly on both parties that they have they once supported it and now don't just because they think that's the way the wind is blowing. Yeah, it is something that shouldn't go unremarked upon. Lake, I don't know, the least qualified people to be in any position of leadership are the ones who are cowards like that, and yet we have a great deal of them in Congress. If you want to hear about some people who shouldn't be in Congress, I have a podcast called Natural Causes. We will talk eventually about Mike Lee and why he is like this, Why does Mike Lee want to sell all the public land that we get to share, and who has donated to his campaign to make him want to do it, But we can hear about other stuff too. This week, we're going to cover cyclospora, which is the incontinence parasite spreading through the Midwest, and we're going to talk about what it tells us about the rights of agricultural labor, neoliberalism, NAFTA, and all the massive corporations between you and your crunch rep. And after that, we're going to talk about fire. If you listen to the show, you'll know that I was in Spokane. So I'm going to talk to some people who evacuated about what you should do when your phone starts going ape shit, and how you can prepare yourself for fire evacuations because this stuff isn't changing anytime soon. I'm going to talk to some people about how you can be a good friend to your friend who is being evacuated. And then I'm going to talk to some folks who lost their homes in Los Angeles and how they've recovered since then and what you can do to help them. And then a week after that, we're going to talk about what we can all learn from indigenous fire knowledge and how we can better take care of our lands to not suppress fire, but to have more say in when.
Speaker 4: And how fire happens. So if you.
Speaker 18: Would like to hear about those topics, you can look up at Natural Causes wherever podcasts are given away for free, probably the same place you're listening to this one. Yeah, talk about fucking golf as well. Hate golf.
Speaker 7: Somehow, that's both the most at least British moment I've ever I've seen it from you.
Speaker 1: Returning to the bleak present, Trump has issued an executive order on Monday about vaccines that is at the same time both extremely disturbing and somewhat unlikely to do that much. There's sort of a few different components to this executive order. There's one part of it that is an attempt to ram through RFK Junior's attempt to reduce the amount of vaccines that children get for absolutely no reason whatsoever. RFK jor We've talked about this previously on the show. RFK Junior has been attempting to reduce a number of vaccines that children get in childhood through CDC advisory boards, which is the way that you're theoretically supposed to do this. However, this was blocked in court, and as those litigations are ongoing, those policies simply have not gone through. So Trump's attempting to use an executive order to bypass that process.
Speaker 4: Won't work.
Speaker 1: There is another separate part about separating the MMR vaccine into three different vaccines. So the MMR vaccine is a combined vaccine from measles, mumps, and rebella, and part of his executive order is an attempt to get those spread out. And then there's also a part that's about threatening states who don't allow religious exemptions for vaccinations in order to send their kids to school. And then a lot of the total executive order is this kind of in some ways grandstanding, where Trump is talking about how this is what the government says the science is, and Trump is saying the government says that the science is that the MMR vaccine is bad and that you need three separate vaccines, and that that's good, and that that's what like the gold standard of evidence based in medicine is now. It's almost more like a post than an executive order. It's just him saying this is the government's position on the science. Now, this is all very classic anti vax stuff. In particular, the separating out the MMR vaccine is just the classic anti vaccine stuff. Getting back to a man named Andrew Wakefield to a stripped of his medical license after it discovered that he had been hired to produce evidence linking vaccines to autism by a group that was trying to sue the British government for damages over their belief that vaccines were quote unquote causing their children's autism. So Wakefield was hired by this group to produce study that would support their claims. And then also Wakefield's turned out had lied to the parents of young children about the painful and invasive medical experiments he performed on them. So that's how he'd lost his medical license. There's a very good Age Bomber Guide long essay video essay on this that I recommend watching, and Wakefield very specifically pedaled a line about the MMR vaccine. His argument was that the MMR vaccine could be dangerous if they were taken together, but if taken individually, they were safe. This doesn't make sense even by the mechanism of the fake condition he made up, but it made him seem like less of a full on anti vaxxer. And then he also did this because he was trying to get a patent to make a separate vaccine to sell them to the kids of parents who believe the MMR was dangerous. So that this entire thing is a product of Wakefield's attempt to do a grift in the nineteen nineties and the British media latching onto it and spreading it, and this has just sort of persisted as this zombie belief where in the speech where Trump is giving talking about him signing this executive order, he's talking about how the MMR together is lethal, but individually they're safe, which is the stuff that Wakefield was saying in the nineties. It was never true then, it was never true now. But that's why we all died as children. I guess that's why I have autism. I don't know, like I didn't diet rebella or whatever that's caused by transness. That's not the other way around. Yeah, So basically we have executive order that is the sort of persistence of this zombie grift that has transcended this guy's original grift and is now in an executive order for the President of the United States. But it's sort of unlikely that any of the stuff in here is going to actually have actual effects on children getting vaccines, which is mostly good. Obviously, the attacks on states that don't have relateous exemptions for vaccinating kids to go to school is bad. But it's really unclear how the legal mechanism for any of this would work. And another complication is that we don't have separate vaccines for the components of MMRSH. The US does not make them nominally. This executive order is supposed to set up the option for parents to do that, and Trump said he would be like working with the private sector to allow this to happen. But this doesn't currently exist, So we need another operation light speed. Yeah, it's operation warp speed. But like for anti vas yeah, light drive. Yeah. And obviously every single reputable medical institution recommends that you do them all at the same time because it's safe. And also there's actually does mean giving children less vaccinations so they're more likely to show up and do them.
Speaker 7: But they have seventy two vaccines mia seventy two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's make it seventy four, all at once, all at the same time. More vaccines. I want more vaccines. I want to catch less diseases. You should vaccinate children even more like that rules.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I want to get vaccine for everything.
Speaker 19: It's like in dand we're like, oh, do you want protection from fire, and you're like, yeah, I want protection from fire.
Speaker 1: Rocks, give me a lined vaccine. I want it. Wait, what is that.
Speaker 11: Locked rocking jazz, rocking jazz? Bot sorry, locked rocking jazz, rocking jazz, Bob.
Speaker 1: By God? Is that Meal Wong some music? Yes it is. It is tariff talk. We have a brief tariff talk. So tariff refunds are continuing after the Supreme Court overruled the so called Liberation Day tariffs. But the question remains, who are these refunds actually going to. I'm guessing it's all of the consumers, right. No, No, it's corporations. And I'm gonna say right off the bat that Amazon is saying it's claiming that some specific consumers will get on funds. No, if you know they're not like if you if you believe that I have the nft of a bridge to sell you like just no, no, they're not.
Speaker 7: You don't think Amazon's going to pass off all like six hundred million dollars to consumers and like an equitable and terif fashion.
Speaker 1: Come on, I just I just I can't. I can't take this seriously. This is this is one of those things where you read mainstream journalists talking about this and it's like, Okay, yes, they have to at face value quote the Amazon CFO, yeah, and print the just obvious lie that they are telling. But I don't have to do that. No, absolutely not, They're just lying to you. Now. In reality, it has been you know, it has been large corporations who have reaped the over one hundred billion dollars rewards from the tariff refunds, not consumers, and prices meanwhile, have stayed high. Who could possibly have guessed that. Now, this obviously allows corporations to double dip by both receiving their teriff rebate checks from the government will also maintaining the increased prices nominally caused by the tariffs. This is because corporations are so called price setters. They do not as neoclassical economics suggest take prices from some kind of abstract market or like, you know, the point which occurs me that is not how prices are set. Prices in reality are set by guys in corporate offices whose job it is to set the price, and now increasingly it is sometimes set by you know, AI programs which are doing effectively the same thing but trying to rip you off even more. Now, what this means is that while you do have to take into account consumer sentiment to some to some extent, right in terms of like, you know, maintaining brand loyalty, once you have an excuse to raise prices, right, once consumers have been disciplined into accepting higher prices as the quote unquote result of tariffs, companies can simply leave prices high without fear of backlash and reap in more profit. This is also a decent amount of the inflation during the Biden administration, where there were increased supply chain costs which increased prices, but then those costs never came down again as supply chain costs decreased a little bit. Because corporations could simply leave the price sticky and keep like screwing you over. So the net result of the terrif Frey funds has been companies leaving prices at the points they were at already and consumers seeing absolutely none of it.
Speaker 10: It.
Speaker 7: It's even kind of well, even Amazon is saying that, like, they're not setting up a system for consumers to like file for acclaim. Amazon will assess by themselves if individual consumers deserve a refund and then contact them individually.
Speaker 1: Oh, I trust them to do that. That makes sense. It's incredible, it's incredible. There's a Canadian version of the song Dulloyd Polozzi, which is down with the Police with classical Yiddish song. A Canadian guy whose name I'm blanking on right now wrote a version. If it were One of the lines is it's about it's about the police, like killing a guy in custody.
Speaker 19: Hey, hey, deloy Polyze means the same thing now as yesterday.
Speaker 1: Out of your house is in Yeah. But one of the lines that is always stuck with me is specifically the line at first the situation makes the law men look so filthy, but they investigate themselves and it turns out they're not guilty, and then that's what's happening here. They investigate themselves and it turns out they're not guilty. Who could possibly have expected this? All power to the corporations. Let's let's also that's right. That's right, electrification plus corporate power.
Speaker 7: Let's let's go on one more ad break and then discuss everyone's favorite thing, elections. All right, we are back in Minnesota. Amy Klobashar will likely succeed Mike Walls as governor of Minnesota, winning the Democratic primary with ninety percent.
Speaker 1: Of the vote.
Speaker 7: Meanwhile, the Trump endorsed candidate for governor, Mike Lindell, also known as the my pillow guy, has lost the primary to Lisa Damouse, the Minnesota House speaker. So Mike ended up losing with thirty two percent of the vote to Lisa Demutz forty three percent. This is a legitimate blow to like the power of Trump's endorsement, and you know, obviously, Mike Lindell's very public figure, while Lisa, you know, is an actual state politician that voters are somewhat more familiar with as a real politician and not that guy in that TV ad who thinks the election is fake. So this is an interesting referendum in the Republican Party itself on Trump's endorsement power and figures.
Speaker 19: Like Mike so kind of basically picking old style Republicans to new style Republicans.
Speaker 7: Yes, like she is like the Minnesota like house speaker, like of the Citate house like people that they know who are local where we not as diehard mega at least compared to Mike Lindell not saying that Lisa Dedmouth is a good politician, nor Amy Klar right like right, both of the people in this race I think suck. But it in looking at like what the the future of the Republican Party might be the fact that Trump's endorsement here did not result in Mike winning is something that I find to be a bit interesting. Meanwhile, the Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren endorsed Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota Peggy Flanagan.
Speaker 1: Who probably a Margaret you think so Peg is usually a Margaret.
Speaker 7: Well, there you go. She won the primary to replace Democratic Senator Tina Smith, who is stepping down. Flanagan got fifty nine percent of the vote compared to the APAC backed Moderate House Representative Angie Craig, who earned thirty nine point four percent. So basically like a twenty point difference. Ice was one of the main factors in this race, as a lot of the races are in Minnesota are being defined in large part by ice. Following metro surge. Flanagan attacked Craig for voting in support of the Lake and Riley Act and voting for a resolution thanking Ice. Meanwhile, Craig attacked Flat again for the post pandemic daycare fraud scandals in Minnesota regarding their state run social services. Peggy Flanagan has also been very outspoken in support of trans rights and trans youth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's She's been firmly outspoken in her support of trans kids getting gender affirming healthcare and also wearing the like protect trans Kids like knife shirt. I like when Margarets don't go in the Thatcher direction. So yeah, that's right.
Speaker 7: Had his set is cut so House Representative Angie Craig, who was running for Senate, is now out of a job after losing to Peggy and in the race for her House seat, the former mayor of Lakeville, Matt Little, who's a progressive running on Medicare for all and regulating AI data centers, just won the Democratic primary, beating the pro Israel candidate State Senator Matt Klein. This is forty seven percent to thirty percent. Matt Little also participately in the community rapid response to Operation Metro Surge. Elanomar also won the primary for her reelection campaign by over eighty percent. But for the big election news this week, let's turn to Wisconsin, where DSA candidate Francesca Hong, who was heavily favored to win in the polls, barely lost in an upset to establish him back to candidate David Crowley, the Milwaukee County executive, who was endorsed by this sitting governor late in the race. And this race was so close. This is less than four thousand votes, Like I think it's at three thousand, seven hundred some votes right now. That's the difference. It's point five percentage point difference. This was an incredibly close race. As much as the polls were wrong about this race in some ways, polls did have support for Hong about right around forty percent. Some polls maybe had her overperforming by like two to six percent. But the main thing that polling did not account for was the electorate getting in behind Crowley late into the race to edge out Hong polling had Crowley at about twenty two percent, and he ended up winning with just over forty percent. Now, this polling was also from at least a week or more before the election, and as we'll discuss in a bit, things can change pretty late in the.
Speaker 1: Game in some of these elections.
Speaker 7: Now, the turnout was also much higher than expected, over eight hundred thousand votes, nearing like presidential primary levels. So like Hong got a lot of votes, just she needed four thousand more to win the election. I think the way mainstream media is gonna be talking about this race will be somewhat frustrating. The Politico headline right now is quote the far left hits a wall, which is interesting framing because last week their headline following Abdul al Sa'id's victory was quote, Progressives didn't get the big election night they wanted, meaning Abdul did not win by as big of a margin as what progressives were expecting. And so this is actually bad for progressives. So whether or not you win, or whether or not you lose, it's actually bad for progressives. Right that is, that is the line that media is gonna take regarding this race. And again, this race was very close. Hong lost by less than four thousand votes and did pretty well in some rural counties. These results come down to campaign strategies. Is not a massive referendum on like DSA politics, and like this race was a stacked roster. There were seven people on the ballot. Over one hundred and fifty thousand votes were for other candidates besides Hong and Crowley, many of whom suspended their campaigns. And there's no rank choice voting in this state. And oddly enough, Crowley himself suspended his campaign in early July before two other moderate candidates dropped out of the race for various reasons, and so then crowd got back into the race with consolidated support from the party establishment. Though Crowley might not like that term establishment.
Speaker 14: Here's amternal federal who the establishment is?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 14: I think that when we talk about the establishment, I don't know who that is. I'm a kid that grew up in five three two little six ZIPC. My parents was drug addicts and suffered from mental health. I would work extremely hard to be where I am today, and so when people try to call me the establishment, I look at that as a slur, particularly as an African American.
Speaker 7: Candidate Hong was also wildly outspent, like many of these DSA or left populist races. She did end up spending two hundred and thirty five thousand dollars on digital and streaming ads, but she spent zero dollars on traditional TV ads, and an outside group also spent about two hundred and twenty thousand dollars in ads for Hong, but these ads were also digital. There was there was no TV ads for Hong in this race. Meanwhile, to quote Politico quote, two outside groups backing late re entryant David Crowley spent a combined three point three million, mostly on TV, while the Milwaukee County executive's own campaign spent nearly nine hundred thousand, unquote. So one of the takeaways from this race is that maybe you should spend money on some TV ads at least now. Hong's campaign was not, you know, flush in cash, but TV ads might be needed to edge out a bit more support in rural areas where throughout election I Crowley kept building a lead little by little, and like I was watching Karnaki's stream last night and that was the main way Crowley.
Speaker 1: Edged out a lead.
Speaker 7: Is that basically every ten minutes he would win like, you know, twenty votes in some rural county and then you know, fifty votes in another, and this slowly built up to you know, hundreds and then thousands of votes in these little small counties. Now, Hong also did win some rural counties, specifically in the northern part of the state, and also a few rural counties in like the center of the state as well. And the fact that Hong did so well with no tv ads shows how good the DSA ground game was. This was a four thousand vote difference with no tv ads, and she did very well. She just didn't do well enough. So maybe as good as the ground game is, it might not be good enough alone. Now, the other sort of thing I'm seeing people talk about is that maybe a stronger base turnout could across this four thousand vote gap, right, and it's specifically Madison and in Green Bay, where she was expected to do a little bit better than what she did. And what if something like you know, Bernie Sanders sort of AOC endorsement rally have helped mobilize in extra few thousand votes in these areas where her kind of base is concentrated no AOC and Bernie have said that for the cycle, they're mostly focusing on congressional races, which.
Speaker 1: Is why they did not get involved in this governor's race.
Speaker 7: But it is definitely worth pointing out that Hong did not do as well with college educated voters as other DSA candidates have in recent past, or someone like el said. She still won college voters, but not by like sort of massive margins that you're seeing in other races. And as I mentioned before, a lot of this race shifted pretty pretty late when the final weeks of the primary were spent arguing about quote unquote electability, and this was a joint effort from both the media, from news media and the Democratic establishment to question whether Hong is electable, if she'll be able to beat the Republican in the general, or will her like extreme views and old tweets alienate voters. Here is the sitting.
Speaker 20: Governor Wisconsin, Governor Tony Evers today wading into the governor's race as he was asked about Democratic front runner Francesca Hong, specifically, can she beat Republican Tom Tiffany.
Speaker 11: A tough point.
Speaker 16: She has spent her entire campaign dealing with not with the issues, but what's on the Twitter. And I just find that that's not a good way to beat Tom Tiffany.
Speaker 7: In TV news and online, there's a lot of questions about her previous stances on abolishing police and outlets like Fox News and also on social media. They circulated an old clip from twenty twenty one, when she started serving in the State Assembly, talking about being concerned about her son's quote unquote proximity to whiteness. Here's a former Biden admin official, the chief of staff to the White House Press Office and press advisor, discussing Hong on the morning of the election.
Speaker 1: She has no.
Speaker 21: Talent, she has no charisma. Her ideas if a toddler said them out loud, would get put in time out. She's not a real person. She's actually, in my opinion, deeply unsettled, and she should really work through in therapy some of her own beliefs. And I cannot believe that we might be on the cusp of having to lift up this person who's undeserving of a seat in Congress.
Speaker 1: That's pretty wild.
Speaker 7: Also pretty wild because quote unquote undeserving for a seat in Congress. Hong was not running for Congress. She was running for the governor of Wisconsin. But anyway, you know, much of the news coverage of the campaign during during the final week and a week and a half of the race, was spent talking about this stuff, and specifically talking about old tweets about quote unquote canceling Thanksgiving and how Hong, who used to work in the restaurant industry, just doesn't really like holidays. And I think the way that this really dominated the race and she was, you know, bombarding with a lot of questions by this kind of demonstrated how important message discipline is in running these races. And you do not need to answer stupid questions flatly, but you can rather use that as as a way to promote or spread your campaign message saying like, no, my biggest concern and as governor, is whether families will be able to afford to put food on the table and eat together no matter what holidays that they celebrate. That would be message discipline, right That is that is something that Zoron did very well when campaigning.
Speaker 1: And the other thing I've kind of seen.
Speaker 7: These past few weeks is a lot of these DSA candidates get asked about DSA's new platform Workers Deserve More, which we've discussed from the show, which is neither like a minimum nor a maximum platform. It has a lot of like immediate term things that are very very possible, like in the short term that people you know should be collectively rallying around and pushing for. But it also has a lot of like long term goals that the platform's own prologue admits like won't be possible under our current system and would require like a complete overhaul of society. But the platform itself doesn't distinguish between its own like actual minimum and maximum proposals. All of the actual proposals are like in the same section, and I think this is in some ways opened up attacks from news media uses, especially host news media.
Speaker 1: This is both a good thing or a bad.
Speaker 7: Thing, right, You could interpret the platform being structured the way it is as a way to kind of help keep DSA or some of these like some of these ideas from sliding over to the right, and having all these proposals together, it does open the Overton window on a lot of like legitimately radical ideas, where you know, now the public is debating things like abolishing the Senate and the Electoral College, drafting a new constitution, you know, public ownership with the largest corporations and essential industries. But the way this platform is structured opens candidates up to attack from you know, media journalists who do not have you know, the best interests of these candidates at heart, where they're being grilled about a lot of things that they themselves are not running on. So instead of being asked about you know, raising the minimum wage, but ending jerrymandering, you know, ice, healthcare, childcare, data centers, whatever, they're instead being asked about other you know, maximum proposals in the DSA platform. And again I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing. I think a skilled speaker can navigate this and defend their own positions without throwing DSA under the bus. But this is a sort of trend that I am noticing. I think specifically Oliver Larkin and Florida has handled this really really well. And Chris rab who won the primary in Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, has also handled questioning on this really really well. And I think Hong herself was getting better at this towards the end. To close, I want to play this short clip of Hong on Fox News the Morning of the election.
Speaker 9: Our voters who fear that democratic socialism could turn into communism, what would you want them to know?
Speaker 15: No, this is a state where we still have a two thirty three tip minimum wage and seven five seven tive minimum wage. I think it's going to be pretty hard to turn that into socialism soon. But what we can do with this campaign is make sure that we're fighting for the policies that we're class people first, who we're fighting for twenty dollars in one range.
Speaker 7: Interesting the way the anchor is there at the end, just to have no idea how to react, I think that that is really telling.
Speaker 19: I mean, there's just a fundamental generational divide between people who are like that person said socialism that should completely end their political career, which, if you're over the age of about forty, is just like an axiom. Yes, if you're an American and you said the word socialism, you're not fit, you don't belong here, And if you're under forty, you're like, shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can't afford to live at all. Yeah, so maybe I'll support politicians or policies that might might make my life slightly better. Yeah, anyway, that is Wisconsin. Let's close with Robert and a very funny story.
Speaker 2: Okay, so onto my main story for this week, which obviously is not really my story, but I thought it was the funniest thing I read this week, so you guys about it. So, on July eighth, twenty twenty six, Donald Trump was in Ankara, Turkey, with a bunch of his top aids and cabinet people, as well as his normal press Corps retainers. He was there for a NATO summit, and overnight on the seventh, I believe he made the decision to have US forces restart their strikes against Iran. After I think this is like the fourth or the fifth, maybe the seventh breakdown in negotiations we've had. I honestly have lost track of how many times that has happened. But we started doing strikes again overnight right so after that decision was made, but before Trump decamped from Turkey. Late on the eighth, CBS News reports that US intelligence detected a quote credible plot to fire a missile at Air Force One. Now, for clarity, the Air Force one that the President flew to Ankara is what I'm going to call Air Force one. Two, because it's the Katari Air Force one that replaced the real air Force one that Trump was given as a gift by a four hundred million dollar gift by Cutter, Right, and this is legally distinct from a bribe. I need to specify that, and I need to note we will be talking about a lot of Air Forces one in this episode. Well, we'll be talking about three specifically, because.
Speaker 1: Like technically, any plane the president is honest supposed to be air Force one.
Speaker 3: Yes, that said, it says supposed to.
Speaker 2: They're also supposed to like change the transponder, but they don't do that in situations like we're about to talk about where there's like a threat. Right, Yeah, So I should talk a little bit about the Katari Air Force one, which I'm calling air Force one two. Yeah, I said it was a four hundred million dollar gift that's legally distinct from a bribe, and it was. But because all they had done was make a really nice plane, air Force one is a lot more than a really nice plane. Air Force one is presumably, I everyone who is an expert on plane says about the hardest plane to kill in the world, right, because it's air Force one. The Katari Air Force one is not that naturally that hard, right, because it can't be. So they spent months and months and months in seven hundred and fifty million dollars retrofitting the Katari plane to ensure that it had the proper security features to transport and protect the president.
Speaker 3: Now, even though.
Speaker 2: I just said that that seven hundred and fifty million dollars still did not bring this plane up as far as I'm aware, it didn't even bring it particularly close to what the actual Air Force one is capable of. It does not have the whole suite of electronic countermeasures and stuff that the real Air Force one has. It's still not as secure. I also want to read one other note from Aviation Source News about the Katari Air Force one plans to transfer the jet to the Trump Presidential Library Foundation rather than extend used to the next president after his term.
Speaker 3: Add to the controversy.
Speaker 7: It's yes, That's one of the most insane parts of the Cutter jet is that it's technically not a personal gift to Trump because it's a property on the government, and yet after he leaves office it will be transferred to his library foundation.
Speaker 3: It's keeping that.
Speaker 1: Fucker it's insane, which he's putt nearly a.
Speaker 2: Billion dollars of public money into anyway. So the plane that he flew to Ankara, the Secret Services immediately like, well, now that there is a credible threat, we cannot have him fly out on the Katari Air Force one because it doesn't have the counter.
Speaker 3: It would need.
Speaker 2: So at the last moment on the eighth, mister Trump announced that, for old time's sake, I think was very close to his exact statement, He's going to be flying home from a car on the old Air Force one, which we'll call air Force one one. Right, So he says he's going to fly home on this thing, and to all as far as everyone is aware, on the eighth he does, right. He goes, takes a whatever kind of ride out to air Force one. He's photographed at the door of Air Force one. He enters air Force one one, and then Air Force one one takes off with all of the press people and a bunch of Trump.
Speaker 3: Staffers on it. Now, what we didn't know then but we know now is.
Speaker 2: That Trump was not on Air Force one one after it took off, even though he got on the plane, because the day before we sat.
Speaker 3: Down to record this episode of ED.
Speaker 2: The Washington Post published one of the funnier investigations of the second Trump era. Its title is Contradicting public statements Trump took secret flight from Turkey and Mediterranean threat. Now CBS and The New York Times had previously reported that Trump boarded the old Air Force One due to this threat. That was a lie. In reality, the Secret Service had Trump board the old Air Force One on camera and then put all of the normal people who would be on it and then scent it on its way without Trump as a decoy in case the Iranians wanted to turn the shoot it down. Any major administration visit to a summit like they held in Ankara is going to include not just Air Force One, but a couple of other Air Force marked passenger jets, which are all suitable for hosting cabinet officials and other high ranking members of the government, but are also there for another reason in case the President needed to make a discrete escape on a different plane.
Speaker 3: This is not the only.
Speaker 2: Time the President has not been on Air Force One when people have thought he was right. The White House doesn't have a history of lying to people about this. It's more than obfuscated kind of in the moment, like they did with Busher, they'll just say, we're not telling you where the fucking president is because shit's happening right now. So the fact that they did an elaborate lie and sent Air Force one into the sky full of people as like a decoy for an Iranian missile is pretty new.
Speaker 3: And fucked up. But the fact that the Secret Service was like, we probably shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Send him out on any of the obvious Air Force ones is not really all that like weird of a moment.
Speaker 3: What is weird is how they did it right.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna quote from the Washington Post and Ankara Trump boarded the old Air Force one jumbo jet in view of television cameras. He was secretly shuttled minutes later to a smaller plane and Air Force C thirty two a via an airport catering truck you typically used to load meals and other supplies brief flight. According to the US official corroborating material reviewed by the Post, that made Air Force one a decoy with media and some White House staff aboard the official set, and the article goes into a hysterical amount of deal. They're combing through all of the pictures of the airport on that day, and they show the catering truck when Trump would have been on it. You can see that in the article, Like it just looks like a catering truck on a plane.
Speaker 3: But it's really funny to know that he's just squatting him there.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, he's gotta be having the best time of his life doing this, right, Like he's just like, I bet.
Speaker 3: It was really fun, but it was super fun and he felt like a spy.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 22: Yeah, yeah, it's a bummer god, but it is really funny because like there's a lot that's funny of this right now, and I can't, to be fair, I can't imagine any member of the White House Press Corps would be surprised at.
Speaker 2: The President using them as a decoy. In fact, before it was revealed that Trump had left the original Air Force one or Air Force one one for what I guess we'll call Air Force one three, this happened. Quote asked why reporters had been instructed to lower the window shades on the plane in Turkey, Trump said that it was because you're probably on a dangerous flight because of the sleeves bags we.
Speaker 3: Have to deal with.
Speaker 2: Trump said that he has a threat all the time against his life and that he is number one on Iran's list. But if I go, you go right, Trump suggested to reporters, Perhaps someday you want to change perfections.
Speaker 1: Christ He's really funny sometimes.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, guys.
Speaker 7: It does feel like an eighties movie slake side plot.
Speaker 3: It really does. It really does.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The people I'd imagine might be kind of hurt by this are the staff members, like the member of Trump's White House who got chosen to fly on the Human Shield flight without being told, rather than being rerouted to Air Force one to three where the boss was flying, because not all of them were. Pete Hegseth was on Air Force one three with Trump right, he got rerouted to the real one. But a bunch of Trump's people just found out today that he put them on the death flight to see if a missile with him.
Speaker 3: And I think that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: That's what I.
Speaker 1: Got, Margaret.
Speaker 7: Where can people listen to more cool people doing cool stuff like flock cameras?
Speaker 19: Well, you can listen to cool people who did cool stuff, which is usually about history, But lately, I've been doing a lot of history that sometimes happened a week or so ago, and it's on this very network or even in this very feed. You can listen to cools on Media book Club, where I read a different story every week to you.
Speaker 7: Also, James's new show Natural Causes coming out soon.
Speaker 1: Put a trendscoll on your We reported the news, We reported the news.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat Death of the Universe.
Speaker 23: It could happen here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it could happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.