Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with Me Ben Maller and Danny G Radio and a happy Sunday to you early on on this Sunday as we celebrate what is it today? It's August tenth and Danny G is with me on the mailbag, and that means Danny G that the big holiday today is a day that we can all embrace. It is National Lazy Day today, a day to celebrate laziness.
Speaker 1: Do we need a day for that? Is that something that we need?
Speaker 4: Some people don't need a day for that, They need a week, an entire seven day week for that. You and I have no lazy days.
Speaker 1: We avoid lazy days.
Speaker 3: But couch potatoes, Big day for your couch potato, your lazy bomb. If you're a slacker. You can celebrate today. It's one of those dopey holidays that's only been around for a few years. And of course you'd argue that lazy days have been around for more than a few years.
Speaker 4: You don't want to end up like doctor Emmitt Brown, a slacker, was it.
Speaker 3: The argument is in the Bible, right It says after creating everything in six days, even God needed a day to rest, Right, Dan, even the creator of the universe needed a day, a lazy day.
Speaker 1: Wow, celebrate appropriately.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of questions in the mailbag, so let's not waste any time.
Speaker 1: What do you say, Danny G.
Speaker 3: That means my man a multi time celebrity in the Malorpalooza.
Speaker 1: The Great Ohio Al. It's all right, very nice.
Speaker 3: So these are actual questions by actual listeners, Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. If you want to send a correspondence in name and city, name and city before your correspondence, very very important. First up is d d from Vegas, writes in says, Hey, Ben and Danny, I know you both enjoy going to Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: You talk about it on the podcast.
Speaker 3: There's a story out that the tipping here in Vegas has dropped a lot recently, people complaining about the service they get here in Las Vegas. Have you guys noticed the quality going down? That's from d I did see something about this, Danny, that because of all the I think, if I read it right, and as I understand it, it's a lot of it has to do more with all the fees, all the extra add on the nickel and dime taxes that the Vegas people have been putting on those that visit. So I think that's more to do it. Maybe I read it wrong, but I think that's that's the case more than anything else. I haven't noticed when I've gone out in Vegas. It seems pretty much the same.
Speaker 4: To me.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed anything, Danny.
Speaker 4: Not anything that I could put my finger on as far as being in Vegas, But the service industry overall has been slacking, and it's because of a lot of this generation just don't want to do those jobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it's still the after effect. We're what are we five years out or four years out from the COVID stuff, And like a lot of the hours of restaurants and stores, you can't find places open late. And then also, as you said, because people don't want to do those jobs, or they just they can't consistently keep people employed.
Speaker 1: That's also a problem.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Next up, Marco, back to back in Vegas. We're blown up in lost wages nobody and we will have a Mallard meet and greet coming up on August twenty third, so a couple of weeks away, malor meet and greet in Vegas. Want some more details on that on the Overnight show early this week, tonight or tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We should have some more information on that.
Speaker 3: But Marco from Vegas right sin It says Ben and Danny G. Do you believe that there is now? This is I got several emails. I condensed it to just Marco's email, Danny, because this is a very popular topic that fans of the podcast and listeners want us to discuss.
Speaker 1: Sins.
Speaker 3: Ben and Danny G, do you believe there is a dildo conspiracy involving the WNBA. That is from Marco and several other people who I did not write your names down. I apologize, but they were generally about the WNBA story. So I guess there is a conspiracy Danny that, according to some investigative journalism you talk about great investigative journalism.
Speaker 1: This is you're gonna win an.
Speaker 3: Award Edward Our Murow Journalism Award investigating the sex toys being tossed.
Speaker 1: On the court at WNBA games. I guess there's a.
Speaker 3: Cryptocurrency group that's taking credit for this. It's like planning bomb somewhere. They've they've planted the flying falluses at w NBA games.
Speaker 1: So way to go.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, this is the the I believe, Danny, the WNBA should lean into this. I think they should fully get involved in this and just go with it.
Speaker 1: But it's some mean coin or something.
Speaker 3: I guess they investigated and found that it's they've been encouraging people to throw the green giant oversized fallus.
Speaker 1: There on the court. So any any more.
Speaker 3: To add to that, Danny, any any other inside I might have missed?
Speaker 4: I No, I don't think so. I did see a clip our very owned Dan Byer and Monsey, who were filling in for Cavino and Rich last week, Okay, and it said Fox Sports radio hosts calling for it to stop. The WNBA needs to really find out who's behind this and get it to stop. The first comment underneath said Fox Sports Radio is turning into ESPN.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't see that.
Speaker 4: So I laughed when I saw that, because I said, this person is just reacting to this one clip. Clearly they're not listening to the Ben Mallor show. Yeah, the Ovino and Rich, the Odd Couple. There's plenty of shows on our network that sound nothing like ESPN.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: If I was the w n B A, I would like have a mascot. I'd have a giant Fallis macot. I would know. I would put the w NBA logo on the I mean, I would go all in. I would be like, this is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'd have dill Weed the dildo as your mascot.
Speaker 3: I'd have instead. You know how they have those cannons that shoot the t shirts out. How about a cannon fill those out, shoot those into the crowd.
Speaker 4: Why not some of the players could have their own dildo's molded.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go, there you go, Dandy h it's Brittany Grinder night.
Speaker 1: Oh my helloo.
Speaker 3: Anyway, thank you, Marco and all the other I'm glad you boys are so fascinated with the great dildo toss scandal of twenty twenty five. Will that be remembered longer than remember the torpedo bat Danny the first week of the baseball season, where there were people convinced, I know that every home run record in Major League Baseball was going to be broken because the Yankees had one weekend where they teed off on the Brewers with their torp go back, and it was all here we go, all the records are going to be broken.
Speaker 4: Were there were headlines even we had one here locally, Max Munsey to debut his torpedo bat tonight, Like we knew exactly which players were going to try them out. We have no freaking idea if there's even one of those bats left right now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It lasted for a week and it was a great story. I got a couple of monologues out of it. I got it in and then that was that and we moved on and it's like nothing happened, and you just that's it all right. Next up is Eenie Meenie Mineymo Jay from Parts Unknown. He says, hey man, congratulations on the extension with Fox Sports Radio. Were you surprised, Jay says, were you surprised by anyone that reached out either to congratulate you? Or didn't bother to contact you. That's from Jay in the parts unknown. No, I mean most of the people I'm friendly with, who I have a good standing with, who I've worked with over the years, they reached out and.
Speaker 1: It was cool. I mean, you don't have to do that. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: I usually want to hear people more when I don't get a gig than when I get a gig. So but no unusual suspect. There were a few people I do work with closely that did not reach out, which is not surprising because they're not really fans of mine.
Speaker 1: So that's fine. But other than that, you know, it's you know, let's do my thing.
Speaker 4: Jay.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: But thank you, Al from the hot Tub time Machine says, first and foremost, he says, mega dittos, congratulations or mega dildos if we're talking WNBA on the contract your future leads me to my question and are past do you have access or could you point me in the direction of information pertaining to affiliates in regards to when they picked up your show.
Speaker 1: What I'm trying to determine, Ol says, is when.
Speaker 3: Wei's Springfield affiliate first started to air your show. Because that's how far we go back. I believe prior to FSR, they were simulcasting Sporting News Radio with Peter Burn, who I've had on this podcast. He says, yes, that's a question because I'm not sure. I do remember you on weekend overnights and then the Third Shift with Ben Malor. I also recall people like Tim Ryan, Bruce Jacobs, Jorge Sadano, but my memory is fleeting, says Alf. So originally we had Dan Cilio very early on was the overnight guy. Cilio did the overnights who period of time, Yeah, played in Miami back a million years ago, and Cilio good dude, meadhead guy. We had him on and then we went from him. I think that might have been a couple of people. Tim Ryan did it. Bruce Jacobs did not do overnights. He did do a show with he hit a female I forget who was like his co host, and then they did that show together for a while.
Speaker 1: So Dono did it briefly. JT. The Brick did it for a long time.
Speaker 4: I remember the j T Brick here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did it.
Speaker 3: For several years, and then I have done it since well, I had it at No. Nine. Then I got I got it eight, it got whacked, and then I had it backed in twenty fourteen and I've had it since since then. At Sporting News Radio, Peter Brown did not do overnights.
Speaker 1: I think it was Alf.
Speaker 3: Bob Kemp, I believe, not the baseball player, like a kind of surly, angry talk show host guy at Sporting News Radio. And our guy, the Sporting Peter Brown was on the weekends. He did a weekday show. Papa Joe Chevalier, the late Papa Joe Savalie worked over there. And our guy Arnie Spanier, the stinking genius back in the day, back in the nineties.
Speaker 1: That was his early nineties Sporting News Radio.
Speaker 4: So which, by the way, well, I don't know who did it, but the art looks good. But for some reason, the who did the character like the cartoon character of you?
Speaker 1: Oh that was sent by a listeners it was something wrong. Did it look weird?
Speaker 4: It looks like Arnie's Spaniard a little bit. Really. Oh no, I think it's in the chin. It doesn't look like your chin. It looks like Arnie's.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know, now that you bring that up, I'm looking at I just put it on my phone here, it's on the Instagram and the Facebook page.
Speaker 4: Then I saw the picture it was based off of, and I was like, oh, okay, I can see it now. But at first glance it looked like Arnie to me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, now that you bring it up, I'm just staring at the chin. Now, I keep staring at the cartoon chin right there, like what's up with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Oh boy, I know, and we know you have more game than Arnie together, of course with a famous whirlpool story.
Speaker 3: But it's a hot tub in Indianapolis, and we would have been fine if Arnie hadn't started talking. He started talking, and then that was it. He chased all the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the women fled for their lives.
Speaker 3: They ran for the hills, and there are no hills in Indiana, So I can you imagine where they were running.
Speaker 1: They were running to another state? Is where they were running.
Speaker 3: As far Alfa answer your question, I have no idea. I know when the network started. When I first got hired, we were on in Binghamton, New York, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and a couple of other small markets. We went on Wei, we went off Wei, then we went back on. It is odd though, because WEI is in Boston, but then they have all these other affiliates around New England and like the show is not on the overnight show is on the Sports sub which is their arrival, the WE rival, but on the affiliates on the network. All the other stations in like Maine and New Hampshire and Vermont and in Springfield they carry Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: So it's an odd I don't know how that works. I am such a radio loser.
Speaker 4: Being a longtime radio guy, and be honest, because back then it must have seemed like it was a big time uphill battle. Yeah, because ESPN Radio was the big dog. You just starting out with the network and the network just starting out, it must have seemed like you were never going to get up to the level of ESPN Radio. And then somewhere along the way the tables turned and now they're like the small fry in our network just completely took a coch Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's wild, Danny.
Speaker 3: It is crazy to think about when Fox Sports Radio started, you had at the time, sports fan radio was still around, you had Sporting News, you had ESPN. Then CBS got into the game. They had for a while CBS Sports Radio that they did coming out of New York, so you had all these other competitors and all that, and I don't know, I don't even know when it happened, but at some point, yeah, Fox Sports Radio just took over. And then it seems like ESPN's kind of given up on radio, Like I don't know it's going. I mean, maybe they'll get back into it, but it seems like they're just not. They're bringing like our our leftover guys, Like isn't I think Richard rich Eisen used to work.
Speaker 1: At our place.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, it's no, it's it's awesome they've the network is in terms of audience. I think you'd agreed, Danny, like, we've never had a bigger reach and power for Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: And I think you can clearly point to the Mallard militia. The domination situation was all started by the Mallard militia.
Speaker 3: Obviously it trickle down from the overnight to the daytime hours. Ryan in Shrewsbury, mass Right Since says, first off, he says, hey boys, Benny, congrats on the new contract to stay on the overnights. I never call the show, but I work in DPW in a small town here in mass So I listen, I said, Department of Water and Powered Inn. I listen from five thirty to six, when Toucher and Hardy come on ninety eight to five the sportsop One of the big stories in my neck of the woods is that a five foot water monitor lizard was on the loose. Lizard's name is Goose. Danny, your first episode of Animal Thunderdome should be about these freak things.
Speaker 1: You sent me a link here. What should we try to open this year? I click on this and then.
Speaker 4: H There's been some good animal stories out there lately, man, I've been saving all of them. Although when we get to talk about it on the podcast is a different story. But did you see the one where at Denmark Zoo is asking people for their donations of any unwonted small dog or horse to feed their predators that they have captive.
Speaker 1: I did not see that. That seems rather.
Speaker 3: Shocking that they would they would be There you go. I sent you to link, Danny, Goose is no longer on the loose.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: Those those are like those look like creatures you might have seen back if you had been around when the dinosaurs were oam The planet right, you might.
Speaker 1: Have seen something like that.
Speaker 4: Is there ugly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not not the most attractive thing. But are they They're not deadly?
Speaker 4: Are they?
Speaker 1: They're not?
Speaker 3: Like I think so though the person's holding it looks like it's it's okay. I like that, seri, He says, well, experts are still working to determine whether Goose is.
Speaker 1: A boy or a girl.
Speaker 3: They believe the four foot lizard is between ages five and eight. Isn't there an easy way to find out if it's a boy or a girl? Danny, I think there's a you know, kind of obvious.
Speaker 4: You stick your hand down there and find out.
Speaker 3: Ryan from Shrewsbury, Mass Thank you, Ryan, and you worked the dreaded day shift there at the dp w RT. Next up, Reggie from Detroit says Ben, you mentioned a hometown discount in your tweet. What kind of hometown discount did you give Fox Sports Radio? Reggie, I'm going to choose to abstain from answering that question.
Speaker 1: Let's listen.
Speaker 3: They got a very good deal. The companies. They're really doing really good. On my end, I'm giving back to the company, so I hope they give Cowhard more money because I'm I'm certainly not getting rich doing this. Did they really need a discount? I don't know, Reggie, You'll have to talk to them. There you go, he's Dan. He's peppering me with questions. This a hole, Reggie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ben, I was getting peppered with questions. Last Wednesday, after Covino and Rich was over, Rich Davis comes into my production studio and he was like, Hey, congratulations to your boy, mallor so. How many years was it for? It had all these questions as if I was sitting in and then to go shading meetings with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was not a lot of a lot of back and forth. I mean there was a little bit of conversation.
Speaker 4: But it Yeah, it was not I felt like a proud dad, but I had nothing to do with any of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I just like I waited the deal. We went back and forth a little bit.
Speaker 3: And then got the thing done and I happened. It just happened to coincide with a scheduled Danny scheduled well in advance brief gap as I took a couple of days. I had some family in town. I'll talk more about that at another time. Some people I mentioned on Friday. I recorded the podcast late because I had people my nieces. You know, I'm being Uncle Benny. My nieces were like right next door, and I couldn't. As much as I wanted to get up at the crack of dawn and record the podcast, I felt like that would have been a complete asshole move, so I chose not to do that and waited until later.
Speaker 4: It was a good cover story. I think we all know you went on a five day bender after signing the contract.
Speaker 3: Well, clearly celebrating why not at an open bar for everyone. Ferg Dog and Fullerton Wrights and says, hey, Ben and Danny g He says, congrats, Ben, Alf and I had to stay up all night negotiating it, so you better be grateful absolutely for Dog. Absolutely you and Alf and my lawyer Bill from Korea Town wonderful.
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 3: We weren't able to get them to lower the vending machines back to the original crisis. Though We're sorry, all right, he says.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: Or is bumper music obsession getting out of control? People are waiting on hold for an hour just to recommend a song. Ferg Dog says, do these people not have an FM dial or something. Is this a problem on Covino and Rich as well. I hope Danny G doesn't get bombarded by people trying to use him as their personal jukebox. That's from Ferg Dog Danny's There a lot of bumper music conversation with Covino and Rich. We have people who have been very consistently calling up and emailing about bumper music, which, as you know, Danny is one of my pet peeves. It's talk radio, it's not music radio. And I always say, does anyone call up the DJ and say, hey, can we really really like that stop set you did between songs? I don't think they do that, But anyway, that's just me. I realize I'm on an island by myself. Danny, the bumper music conversation.
Speaker 4: We've had this on the podcast even recently, so you know that I'm on the other side of the fence than you are. But I will say on Covino and Rich, I stay out of the bumper music conversation because iowa Sam who got to be on your show for what was it two years he worked on your show.
Speaker 1: I think it was about two months, maybe maybe two days.
Speaker 4: I don't know like that, He, like a lot of the other technical producers, very annoyed when anybody suggests songs to them, because one of their only treats, I guess is that they get to pick out the music. Yeah, most of the time. I guess that RJ and Vegas Guy and some other hosts back in the day used to yell and scream about which songs they had to have coming back. But Sam, he gets like very overwhelmed it. Sometimes the guys will come in and ask him to play a certain song and he gets kind of like, oh my god, I had a song already. Oh I just yeah, I stay away from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just Lorraina plays the music on the show, and my beef is Danny. I get a lot of complaints from middle aged guys. Why is she playing pop chick music?
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: They complain about that, and I'm like, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't even pay attention to it, you know, But these guys get so upset if.
Speaker 1: They hear I'm trying to think, like, you know, Taylor Swift.
Speaker 4: Or that, right, I mean, most of these guys don't listen to the same music as she does. She would be well served to just basically play classic rock and that would hit your target audience. I'm sure she's not bumping a lot of classic rock in her car now.
Speaker 3: We did have back in the old days, there was a host I will not name the host, and the music became an issue because they played a lot of I don't know, rap music or whatever. People were literally complaining about that. They were like, oh my god, this is the worst thing in the orlands. So I stay out of that. I just do the talk part. And you know you, Danny, you love music and I respect you for that. You were great in music radio. That's not my thing, So I just worry about the talking part.
Speaker 4: When I played the music on your show, not only did I play listeners gingles and songs about the show a lot, but I rotated all the different formats. I didn't stick to just one thing. I played rock, hip hop, old school rock, modern rock and stuff like that. So I tried to mix it up a lot so that, you know, because the goal is to make all the listeners happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, for sure, for sure, it's absolutely we're everyone's got there one thing about music. Man, You like what you like and you don't like the other crap. And you get annoyed when you hear other stuff. And that's just the way. Very few people have a wide palette when it comes to music. You like what you like, and you don't got to have some ball. You got to have some balls with it.
Speaker 4: Though. It's the it's the intro into you coming on your mic, so it needs to set the scene.
Speaker 3: We need Diddy to get out of all trouble so we can bring back the Benjamin's you know brown, Kevin writes in from Kansas, Dear Ben and Danny g I dumped cable television a few months ago, but I haven't replaced it with any streaming services yet. I was thinking about getting Peacock for Benny versus the Penny, but since that's not a go this year, Kevin says, I'm still not sure what to do. How do you decide which streaming services to use in your households? That's from Kevin, so Kevin, not for me. I think you should try to find a magic box. That's what you should try to find. But my wife is the one that decides what to watch. I watch mostly stuff on the YouTube, other than the sports stuff which I have access to.
Speaker 1: But other than that, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't really pay much attention, but my wife's always like, what's coming up this month, and we try to she tries to rotate. It's like Netflix is the big one, and then she'll rotate like one other one.
Speaker 1: Whether it's HBO or Peacock.
Speaker 3: Occasionally we obviously had Peacock benny versus the penny.
Speaker 1: Don't have it anymore, no need to get it.
Speaker 3: What about you, Danny, how's the streaming rotation working at the Danny G Radio household?
Speaker 4: We have a lot of monthly bills now with these services where we always used to daydream, man, someday if we could just have all these TV channels all a kart, it'll be perfect. Then all these you know, streaming services, they started raising their monthly raising, raising raising, So now it feels like our bill at the end of the month is more than what it used to be for table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it is.
Speaker 3: In a lot of a lot of instances, there have been stories that I've read that said that what started out great, it always starts out great, right, like America, low tech nation. Right, everything's going to be better here, and then after a couple hundred years, all of a sudden.
Speaker 4: You can had to go and ruin it by raising all their monthly rates exactly.
Speaker 1: So good luck with that, Kevin.
Speaker 3: And it's NFL season, so you got to look back to that in also.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was going to mention that Ben, I have YouTube TV during the NFL season because you have to have that in order to have your NFL Sunday ticket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you can pick and choose, but good luck, Kevin.
Speaker 3: Giants fan Mike from Vicealia that's out near Fresno, right, that's I believe Vice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a true country big job.
Speaker 1: I love I love the Giant Forest.
Speaker 3: Giant fan Mike says, Hey, Ben and Danny, I know you guys are both Dodger apologist. Where do you fall on the Barry Bonds in the Hall of Fame debate?
Speaker 1: It was going around social media this week. Are you yay or nay?
Speaker 3: That is a sporty question from Giants fan Mike. We normally don't do sporty questions, Danny, but I will attempt in one minute or less to answer this question a Giant fan Mike. I was anti Barry Bonds on the Hall of Fame, not because I am a Dodger fan, because he's a cheat. B Having covered Major League Baseball daily in the nineties when all that was going on, and witnessing what I am relatively confident is multiple steroid users in the Hall of Fame, I have come to the conclusion, which is ce let Barry Bonds in, Let Roger Clemens in, let Rafael palmerrow and let them all in, Sosa maguire, all those guys, because I know almost ninety nine point nine percent there are multiple players that were doing steroids in the nineties that were in the Hall of Fame. So why are you gonna let not the You're gonna let them in and not Bonds.
Speaker 1: All right, your turn, Danny.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, boom. I approved this message. You took the words right out of my mouth. The Hall of Fame is already kind of a joke, so just put them in already, all right.
Speaker 1: You did it less than you took, less time than I took. All right.
Speaker 3: Fred from Florida writes in says, hey, guys, you see a woman went viral on TikTok for bragging about her uncontrollable diarrhea. She said she austin a United Airlines plane to get a flight from Indianapolis to get canceled because she had had such issues.
Speaker 1: It was a hazmat situation.
Speaker 3: And Ben and Danny, I know I'm old school, but when did women start acting like this?
Speaker 1: That's from Fred in Florida. Well, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's been around anything to go viral, right to any anything for the followers on social media. You know, women have no shame in their game either. Now it's all about trying to get those followers right.
Speaker 4: And I guess so some stuff needs to stay personal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does that make this?
Speaker 3: Are more guys interested in her if she like has a really impressive uncontrollable diarrhea.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that. Let's see here.
Speaker 3: Andy writes and says, quick question, should I be worried about real gambling never being available in my longtime home state of California, especially with a the DFS rollback? I can't wait for benny versus the penny whatever format it is reborn.
Speaker 1: That's from Andy. Thank you Andy.
Speaker 3: It is concerning Andy and as somebody that needs gambling advertising. That is the next great frontier in American sports gambling in California. And I'm still bitter and broken that the Native American slash. Indian casinos were able to block DraftKings and FanDuel from entering. California was on the ballot a couple of years ago, and I was told by someone that works in that world that the assumption was they were going to have sports gambling legal here in twenty twenty five in California, but the casinos, the Native American casinos, were going to run it.
Speaker 1: They were going to control the sports betting part of it.
Speaker 3: That is obviously not happened, Andy and I have not followed up on that. I do know that that'll be the next gold rush.
Speaker 1: Danny.
Speaker 3: That is fertile ground, as I learned from my sojourn with NBC and Benny versus the penny. The gambling business. Advertising wise, we're in the advertising business. Once a market is new, there's a lot of money that comes in, and then once it matures, once they feel like they've got a good grasp of the market, they roll back their advertising. So California will be insane. The amount of people that live in California and the possible gambling audience will be huge.
Speaker 4: Danny.
Speaker 3: That and also Texas is the other the bigot, as I've been told, But California. So I'm right there, Andy, and I have no idea. I will check into that. I will ask around, and I will report back to this podcast what I learned. I will I'll ask a few people that would know the answer to that whether or not we're going to get that anytime soon. But I'm telling you, Danny, the amount of money that will be, it'll be insane wild wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm looking forward to what you find out too. You have homeworks.
Speaker 3: I will I will look at that last one Marcus in San Antonio, and I saw other emails, but we'll just close it out on this.
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 3: I'm a fan of the show Pond Stars on the History Channel, and here in San Antonio, there was no shortage of Pond shops in just about every time. It seems like there aren't as many as when I was growing up, and over the years, I have both purchased and sold many items. Back in my younger days, I was always on the hunt for a nice guitar, amp, speaker box for the trunk of my car, or to sell something to make a quick couple of bucks. He says, with things like Facebook Marketplace that Danny G used to sell his e bike and other online options. It seems like pond shops are becoming a thing of the past. My question is, have either of you guys bought or sold anything at a a pawn shop and if so, what was your best and worst deal? Or Steele as always, thank you for the hard work on the weekends, he says, if anyone has earned some well deserved time off, you guys have look at that, Danny, this would be a great time to put the podcast on hold for a weekend or two before football starts. This guy's like our program director at least.
Speaker 1: Big Ben.
Speaker 3: We'll get to sleep a little bit this season. The Penny makes a comeback and soon. That's from Marcus and san Antonio. Yeah, Marks, First of all, before we get into the pond thing, Benny Versus the Penny.
Speaker 1: Will be on.
Speaker 3: Now, what format that takes, what avenue that takes, I'll let you guys know. It's all obviously a couple of weeks away from the NFL, so we got a little bit of time to play with. But we will have Benny Versus the Penny and I will promote it once we get that lockdown, and there may be a surprise there, you know. Some things in the works behind the scenes that could be very, very nice, So we'll leave that alone. Danny, I have never bought anything from a pawn shop. When I used to live in Lincoln Heights, I took the what was called the gold Line. I don't know if it's still called that the train. I took it up to Pasadena a lot, and there was a great pawn shop in Pasadena, and so I used to go around there and I'd window shop.
Speaker 1: I'd walk in the pawn shop and window shop.
Speaker 3: Now we have done a lot on Facebook, Marketplace, offer up.
Speaker 1: Roberto, my old board op. The bus driver Roberto loved offer up.
Speaker 3: He would go to Dodgery Games, buy extra tickets, and sell bobbleheads extra bobbleheads on offer Up.
Speaker 1: And then remember.
Speaker 3: Craigslist used to be like that same thing. I don't know if that's still around, but those were all places that I've used, but not really the pawn shop.
Speaker 1: Have you sold anything? I think you didn't you tell us. I thought you told some story about a punch. Am I wrong on that? Maybe I'm wrong on that.
Speaker 4: No, you know, like you, I only have seen even one pawn shop when I was younger, I want to say it was like my first or second year grewing full time radio. So as you could imagine, I was broke youngster and I sold like a gold bracelet on a pawn shop. They checked my criminal record. I didn't know that that was part of the process, because the guy was like, yep, let me check your record just to make sure this isn't stolen. I was like, geez, is that the underbelly world going on here? So I after that, I stayed away from pond shops.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, if you you want to get rid of something, you know, that's a legend, you know. But that's why one of the things about the Internet too, which has actually made it a little bit easier to track down stolen stuff, because a lot of people will steal crap, they'll burgie burglarize someone, and then they'll immediately try to sell it on an offer up for pennies on the dollar. So the cops are always searching like Facebook, marketplace offer up for stolen property.
Speaker 4: Because yeah, yeah, well I know that now. Yeah, of course TV shows and movies and everything that we've seen as adults, but as a kid, I didn't really know about any of that. But I mean I here and there would buy things from kids at high school. Looking back, now, some of that stuff was probably hot and I didn't know it, but I didn't know. You had to go, no, you had to go through this whole process to sell something to the local pawnshop.
Speaker 3: So remember the guys that would come up to you at the gas station, Hey, you got some speakers?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: Oh? They would drive around in vans in shopping centers, yes, yes, yeah, oh, and they had this whole story about how they ordered an extra set. Yeah yeah, right, Ah, what a scam. Yeah, so many scammers out there. It is funny, though, how the Internet changed sales for so much of our lives. The touch of a button. Now we could just buy or sell things. And thinking about it, you're right, man, And a lot of the times, even on offer up it says in the box never opened. Well, if they have five or six of those same items in the box never opened, where where did that come from?
Speaker 3: Yeah you can imagine where they may have gotten that from, for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll get out on that. Danny Thagu.
Speaker 3: It's been an interesting weekend here, and uh, unfortunately I did not injure like Mariano Rovera yesterday. I did not injure my achilles playing in an Oldheimer's game.
Speaker 4: Nor did you get a twelve foot statue outside of FSR after signing a new contract?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might have to rant about that.
Speaker 3: Tom Brady's statues and I didn't that look like something you'd see in Pyongyang or something like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the head looks his head looks.
Speaker 1: Too small, but the thing is just like massive though. It's like, what are you doing, dude? Like, at least have.
Speaker 4: You seen the memes from yesterday that show an even bigger Eli Manning statue right behind him? Oh?
Speaker 1: No, I haven't seen that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it says that they're so nice there they They've even added a second statue right behind Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's that's great. Well, anyway, we'll get out of that, Danny. I'll be back tonight.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I am doing most of this week.
Speaker 3: I will take one more long weekend, one more long weekend before football season starts, so that'll be I'll be doing four nights this week and then off on Thursday into Friday. So that's for Alf and for Dog and mister nice guy.
Speaker 1: It is great.
Speaker 3: I love only announcing my schedule on this podcast because it really exposes the frauds that don't listen, like Justin and Cincinnati, for example, who was bitching about me taking some time off even though I announced well in advance that that was the schedule. That's that self incrimination. Danny g admission that he did not pay attention, does not listen, batch out by him. But so that's my schedule. Covino, Rich and you Danny. What you guys got going on this week?
Speaker 4: We are in for Dan Patrick's last week days off before the football season, So going to be w taking up early on Monday morning to fill in for the great Dan Patrick outstanding.
Speaker 1: I have a great rest of your Sunday here. We'll be back.
Speaker 3: I'll be back tonight eleven o'clock in the West, two am early Monday, two am early Monday in the East. Four hours of original content all night long. So I've got that for you and we'll talk to you then later.
Speaker 4: Skater gotta murder, I gotta go