Speaker 1: Smell us now, lady, Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time. That's seven pm Hungry time for those listeners in Hungary on Thursday, March sixth and we're live from Meet Eater HQ and Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host, Randall Williams, joined today by Maggie Hudlow and Brody Henderson. On today's show, we're kicking off a new segment called fake News. We'll call in with Rebecca Powell from the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation. We're gonna take you backstage for a look at Meat Eater's new culinary show, Meet Eater ROAs. We'll chat with Caitlin Lo Spinoso aka Old Trapper Kate, and we'll round out the show with another long awaited Meat Eater movie Club. Maggie and Brody, how are you guys doing?
Speaker 3: Doing great? Not so bad?
Speaker 2: Lovely?
Speaker 4: How are you doing, Randall?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. I'm doing well. It's great to have you here at Bozeman HQ.
Speaker 4: It's good to be here.
Speaker 2: Well. First up, in a new segment we're calling fake News. I'm going to share a selectively edited hunting or fishing related headline from the news, and Brody and Maggie need to fill in the blank with multiple choice options. Only one of these is true according to this news article. And here's where we'll add Phil's drop in later. Phil's just had.
Speaker 3: A really busy week.
Speaker 2: Kind of apologies to the listeners out there, Phil, what do you have to say.
Speaker 3: I don't need to disappoint anybody. It's been a crazy week here at Meat Eater HQ. We got a lot of new projects happening, and so I didn't have time to make a drop this week. I do have an idea, but then we thought we'd bring Chili in and then he whimped out, Chili, if you're watching, good job. So now we have nothing for you. And frankly, it's all Chili's fault.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Chilli's working on me roast right now. Phil.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is is he he had agreed to do this, but then he said he couldn't figure out the chords, the chord progression, so he did WI. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So just imagine something. If you guys want to make some pitches in the live chat, I will read them, not necessarily take them into consideration, but if you have a really good one, you might break through the ceiling.
Speaker 2: And I know it sounds like we're just killing time here, but I really think that with the announcement, with the announcement of the new segment, folks were keyed up, they were ready to go. So just imagine in your head what this would sound.
Speaker 5: The live viewer counting that Phil's drops are the best part of the whole damn show.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I already feel like this show's a flop. On first head line, Phil.
Speaker 3: Sure thing, I'm using the slideshow for the very first time.
Speaker 2: They are a So this is our first headline. Rocky Mountain National Park has too many A trails, Rocky Mountain National Park has too many b elk Rocky Mountain National Park has too many C visitors, or Rocky Mountain National Park has too many D moose.
Speaker 5: So we're looking for the one that's that's fake, where.
Speaker 2: You're looking for the one that's true, for true, the actual headline.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna say b elk.
Speaker 2: Mag says b Elk.
Speaker 5: God, I think I just read an article about something else, Like I know they've had too many elk at one time, but I think the headline might be moose.
Speaker 4: That was my other thoughts.
Speaker 2: Moose is your final answer? Brody gets it?
Speaker 6: Phil?
Speaker 2: Do we have like a ding ding ding?
Speaker 3: If I were a professional engineer, I would have one prepared.
Speaker 5: But oh gosh. Well, although I could find you a headline that says they have too many elk, I could.
Speaker 2: Find you a headline that says they have too many visitors as well. This one comes from our friends at Outdoor Life. While moose populations are down across much of their range in North America, Colorado is a noteworthy exception. In Rocky Mountain National Park, wildlife managers are concerned that a moose population growing at five percent year over year is having a deleterious effect on wetland habitats and willow growth. A single moose can consume up to forty five pounds of willows in a day. In some areas of the park have seen a decline of up to eighty percent of their willows since nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 5: The wolves will take care of that problem for too long, Just give it a little time.
Speaker 2: I almost added wolves in there as an option, but I thought it might be two on the nose and perhaps you know, traumatizing or triggering to some of our audience. Onto our second headline, here, philm can wildlife heal? Blank? The science behind nature's unexpected remedy? The first answer is a chronic pain. The second is PTSD post traumatic stress disorder c IS autoimmune disorder d IS hypertension. What are we think of here?
Speaker 7: Gang?
Speaker 2: What can nature heal? According to this article?
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Maggie, you pick yours?
Speaker 4: Ha I'm I'm gonna go B again PTSD.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go see hmmm, well it's one to one Gang. The correct answer is b PTSD. Thank you, Corey. Is this show's really taken off? This one comes from sie Tech Daily. Researchers from the University of Massachusetts studied nineteen veterans with PTSD and observed notable psychological benefit. It's particularly reduced levels of anxiety among those who engaged in visits to wildlife sanctuaries, participated in wildlife care at rehabilitation centers, and engaged in bird watching, according to doctor Donna Perry. While many studies involving interactions between humans and other species aimed at improving psychological or physical health have involved domestic animals. Few studies have focused on wildlife.
Speaker 5: I think that's great news, but I don't think it's new news. People have been doing, you know, like when I was a guide, we used to do h like wounded warrior things. Yeah, in the outdoors.
Speaker 2: And the news is that we have the study to back it up. Phil Once you read me the date on that article.
Speaker 3: It says March sixth, twenty five, Holy crap.
Speaker 2: That's today's news. Brody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, like I said, don't think it's new news, boy.
Speaker 2: Rocky, start here onto our third headline. I kind of like this bit though.
Speaker 3: It's fun, and I would this is kind of a dry run. If people like it, we'll be back with bells and whistles and hopefully Brody will be more excited.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, it's not that I'm not excited. Like, I like it because I like arguing and you know, and trivia Spencer just doesn't put up with arguing about his questions.
Speaker 4: So you know, I know the answer to this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this one's been all over the.
Speaker 2: Place, but I thought my answers are so clever.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's read the headline for the audio listeners.
Speaker 2: Here blank for dinner California officials urge residents to eat invasive blank Your options are skate for dinner. California officials urge residents to eat invasive sting rays frog legs for dinner. California officials urge residents to eat invasive bullfrogs, rodent for dinner. California officials urge residents to eat invasive nutria or d cactus for dinner. California officials urge residents to eat invasive African prickly pair.
Speaker 4: It's z nutria.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got a tie game, gang.
Speaker 3: There's a sound. I found one.
Speaker 2: The correct is rodent for dinner. California officials urge residents to eat invasive nutria. According to an article in the Guardian, This call to action came during National Invasive Species Awareness Week in late February. Neutrio were believed to have been eradicated from the Golden State in the nineteen seventies, but a growing population was detected in the Sacramento San Joaquin River Delta in twenty seventeen. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife has removed some five thy five hundred nutria from these wetlands so far, and federal officials are trying to make the consumption of nutrias somewhat enticing by drawing similarities to the taste of rabbit or dark turkey meat. Resources, including recipes for nutrient dishes such as stews and chili, are available on nutria dot com.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the New York Times really didn't do a good job of selling it. Their headline. Their headline was keep invasive species in check. Eat a big rat like rodent.
Speaker 5: I think. I think the funny thing about this is that this is coming out of California, which is like one of the most anti hunting states in the country, and they're like, oh, yeah, go kill these things.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of dead things.
Speaker 5: I know. But they need to call uh, they need to call our old friend Mark Kendrick, who uh see the chessbeak. Hemanaged Operation Rolling Thunder in the Chesapeake Bay, which is like the only place they fully eradicated those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta say, I wasn't California nutrier. We're not on my radar.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean, they scattered those things all over the place to create, you know, a fur industry back in the day, I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will point out that there is an invasive African prickly pair cactus called the Devil's cactus.
Speaker 5: Sounds nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did a little bit of research. Uh no, I don't think so. We don't have a tie breaker yet. That's a little wrinkle we should add next time we do this.
Speaker 3: So let's hold on. Let I just want to make sure we have this all correct. There was no drop, yes, no sound effects. I'll take credit for that. Yes, no tiebreaker. How do we feel this segment went?
Speaker 2: You know, I like it. I think I like potential. I think it's got real potential. Brody observed to me yesterday when we're sort of going over this that this would be a segment best played with some of our less uh less news following crew members. Yes, sure, the online Yeah, the less online people would probably have more fun with this one. But I was pleased that you both didn't get all of them right.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, So earn something new every day.
Speaker 2: Man, that's a start. Fantastic gang, Thank you. Joining us on the line first is Rebecca Powell, the program director for the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation. Rebecca, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks for having me. Happy to be here. Great show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, yeah, it can only go on from here.
Speaker 3: So I love honesty, Rebecca.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're glad that said that first segment didn't kill Huh. It's tough act to follow. First thing, can you tell us a little bit about the Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation and maybe for folks that are not from this part of the world, what the Bob Marshall Wilderness is.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I am the program director at the bon Marshall Wilderness Foundation. We're a nonprofit partner of the Forest Service and we help steward the one point six million acre Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex.
Speaker 6: So the Bob Marsha Wilderness Complex.
Speaker 7: Is a northwest Montana kind of below Glacier National Park, above Yellowstone and Missoula area, and it makes three wilderness areas. So there's the Great Bear to the north, the Bob Marshall in the middle, and the Scapegoat Wilderness on the south end, and together that makes up the one point six Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex that we all just refer to as the Bob. So that is a little bit about the Bob Marshall Wilderness and us as a nonprofit organization, we're pretty small. We have seven full time, year round staff. We've been around for almost thirty years, and you know, the Bob Foundation started as a place for volunteers to get together and help clear those secondary trails and do some of the trail maintenance that wasn't getting done as Foreign Service was facing those budget cuts.
Speaker 6: As we've evolved, you know, we've gone.
Speaker 7: From more than just moving dirt and now as an organization, we do a lot of education about wilderness. We do have a pretty robust internship program. We have some traditional skills programs such as packing.
Speaker 6: We have Artists Wilderness.
Speaker 7: Connection program where we partner with the Hockaday Museum of Art in the Flathead National Forest and place a few artists in the back country each season to do some art. And then, of course the Bread and Butter is our volunteer program, so we have about forty projects usually each season that we take volunteers out.
Speaker 6: We have anything from you.
Speaker 7: Know, a day like National Trails Day doing a day of trail work, to ten day trips where you're in the back country for ten days.
Speaker 6: All of them are led by one of our crew leaders.
Speaker 7: We provide food and pack support, all the tools, and those opportunities are free for anybody who wants to join, given that it's within your physical limitations to do it. Yeah, And a lot of our work with the volunteers is clearing trails, is brushing, you know that all they're off the trails, clearing drains and improving tread. We do some work on some of those admin cabins of the back country, you know, rebuilding corrals, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And there's some there's some unique challenges to that type of work in a wilderness area. Can you tell us a little bit about what a what a day of trail maintenance looks like for a volunteer crew.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I always tell our crew leaders that they have the hardest job within the complex because they're training new volunteers each each week, you know, so depending on their hitch schedule, volunteer show up at a trailhead. We have up to eight to ten volunteers each project that meet a crew leader at the trailhead. We have volunteer packers that use horses and mules that carry in all the food and tool and group gear into a backcountry site and we set up a base camp and work on that base camp for however many days the trip is and because it's a designation wilderness, you know, no mechanized use within the wilderness. So we're using cross cut saws, handsaws, pulaskis looppers, that kind of stuff. And all the stuff that we get is transported into the back country with horses and mules. So it's primitive. Uh, it's uh, just how.
Speaker 6: We like it.
Speaker 2: A lot of sweat.
Speaker 6: It is a lot of sut and you know, volers are they're they're into it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 7: People like to work hard and it's impressive to see the amount of people that come out and want to do hard work with us.
Speaker 2: That's great. Recently, we've been covering a lot of the uh, the layoffs affecting our public land management agencies, the Forest Service included. Can you can you speak to how those cuts at the Forest Service are affecting your organization sort of how you interface with the Forest Service.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a lot of ways that that's affecting our organization. We are, like you know, we pride ourselves on the relationship that we have at the Forest Service, the folks at the district level within those others five districts that manage the Bam Martial Wilderness Complex, and we are.
Speaker 6: Are close with all of them.
Speaker 7: So each season around January or so, we meet with those trails and wilderness folks and ask them like, hey, where do you guys need help?
Speaker 6: How can we help you get some volunteers in?
Speaker 7: And that's how we build our summer schedule and work through that, and then.
Speaker 6: Once the field season starts.
Speaker 7: You know, those folks that are on the ground for the Forest Service, those river rangers, those trail crews, those backcountry rangers, those are the people that we're communicating with on our trips. We're checking in on the radio every day with those folks where they're flagging out the work we need to do. Maybe they're out there a couple of days before that we show up and they're flagging out where to put a drain, you know, or to clean up a campsite.
Speaker 6: Or that kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: And the complex has experienced significant workforce cuts over the over the last few weeks.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know, Rocky Mountain Ranger District had a back country crew of eleven and now they're down to three. Spotted Bear is similar. They had a back country crew of twenty something and now they're down to four or five people. So that's going to create significant barriers for the public and for us to be able to achieve the level of work that we hope to do.
Speaker 6: You know, as an example, we work with the Forest Service.
Speaker 7: We have our seasonal workforce that we ramp up to is about twenty six folks. That's crew leaders, that's interns, that's packer apprentices.
Speaker 6: Usually we hire.
Speaker 7: To two wilderness river rangers to go out with the with the river ranger out of Spotted Bear, and that that position no longer is there, and so we can't have those two.
Speaker 6: Interns go out on their own without it the supervisions.
Speaker 7: So we're we're readjusting, we're getting creative. We're trying to think of ways that we can still be effective and help out and be of service to to what's left out there.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. Do you have sort of concrete plans looking forward to the summer or are there still a lot of uncertainties at the moment.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean there's never any concrete plans right for Plan A, Plan B, Plan Plan D. You know, we're always adapting for weather and whatever, injuries.
Speaker 6: Illness, anything.
Speaker 7: This is definitely a big hitch in our in our program because of i mean shortages aside, workforce cuts aside. Our program budget was cut fifty percent because of.
Speaker 6: A lot of fun thing that we get is frozen currently.
Speaker 7: So the funding from you know, the Great American Outdoors Act that helps fund our interns and our trail crews and that kind of stuff. Some of the grants that actually fund paying for the food for our volunteers, those are all currently frozen.
Speaker 5: And heya, Rebecca, that's money that was already approved to go to you guys, correct, correct.
Speaker 6: That's money that's approved to us.
Speaker 7: That's like, for instance, the the America the Beautiful Grant that we get that that funds our invasives crew. So we have an invasive Species coordinator that works for us, and he has four interns and a crew leader that go around the complex and uh spray and map invasive weeds all summer long. That's funded from the America the Beautiful Grant, which we're in year three of a five year grant of that, and that has been has been frozen. So this is the time of year that we're hiring all of our interns and placing all those folks, and we kind of put a temporary pause on that because we don't want to hire all these folks and then be like, hey, guess what, we don't have the funding, so you can't go.
Speaker 6: Out there and do the work.
Speaker 7: So we have decided to just keep moving on as if we have that funding in place, and then we've made a deadline that if we don't have you know, confirmation and that funding at a certain time, we'll call it off and read re.
Speaker 6: Group our summer schedule.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's like I said, there's seven of us year round staff, and like five of us are are.
Speaker 6: Ready to roll up our sleeves and get in the back country.
Speaker 7: You know, it's folks that still spend quite a bit of time doing work in the back country. So we can still do some volunteer trips, we can still do some packing, we can do some other things. It'll just be quite abbreviated from what we had hopes and planned.
Speaker 2: So, folks, if folks are in just didn't supporting your work, how do they either go about volunteering and getting getting out there with you guys this summer, or if they maybe live remote or can't do trail work themselves house, can they support your mission?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, we do a lot of fundraisers right now. We have We partner with the Telly Ride Mountain Film Festival and do like a fundraiser and kind of circumnavigate the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex.
Speaker 6: On Friday tomorrow, we have a show in Big FOURK.
Speaker 7: We have a show in Showdow, Montana, in Helena and Missoula and Whitefish, So anybody can go and buy tickets to come see us at those events, and we have.
Speaker 6: Raffles and fun stuff and a lot of great films on that.
Speaker 7: We also have like business partners, So if you're a business owner and you want to be part of the of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex and supporting that, you can join our business become a business partner.
Speaker 6: A big fundraiser for us actually is our license plates. So we have like the Bob license plates.
Speaker 7: It's when you go to the DMV. It's the one with like a pack string on it. Get those on your car. That's super supportive of us. We have monthly donations, all kinds of different donations, you know, Like I said, really only twenty percent of our funding comes directly from a forest service. The rest is all donations and fundraisers and merchandise sales.
Speaker 6: And all that stuff, So good deal in that any of that support, it was great.
Speaker 2: And as far as the volunteer side of things, if you know, if I get in the weight room or get in shape and I'm ready to grab a hold of crosscutsaw, what's my next step there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So traditionally we've launched our volunteer projects by March first. That's on pause for right now, so we get confirmation that we have the funding to go ahead with that and hire our crew leaders and you know, buy volunteer food and all that stuff, and pay for the pack support that joins us out there. Our trips are all posted online on our website, on our social.
Speaker 6: Media will promote that once we launch those, some of our trips fill up really fast, some of them don't.
Speaker 7: We like to have a large variety of trips, so we'll have, like I said, some like just one day trips that are like lopping or pulling weeds or something, and then we have like I think that our most popular trip is like a five day trip. So you hike in, you work for two days, you have a day off, you work for two more days or one more day, and then you hike out. And those you know, there's there's different variations of the fitness levels you need for that, and we.
Speaker 6: Advertise that on our website.
Speaker 7: Some of them, you know, you're hiking fourteen miles into the back huntry over a mountain pass, and that's more strenuous, and the work you're doing is like clearing a trail that's you know, had a significant blowdown and you're on.
Speaker 6: A cross put all day.
Speaker 7: Some of the trips that are even longer, are you hike six miles into a backcountry site and you work on campsite restoration and you know, getting rid of fire rings and barry and poop and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: That that's a little less strenuous. So we have.
Speaker 2: Everyone what you're selling excellent.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, Rebecca, we I can I think I can speak for everyone in the building that we love the Bob Marshall Wilderness as we love all of our public lands. Uh, and so we appreciate the work that you do and hopefully we can maybe get a couple of us out on a crew with you this summer the next.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that sounds great.
Speaker 7: We have partner trips too, so if you want to just grab your friends and come join us. The whole Meat Eater crew can come out and you can't tell it because we're in wilderness.
Speaker 2: So I like that idea very much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can take some pictures.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you guys taking the time to hear from us and.
Speaker 7: Kind of shed some light onto the work that we're doing and our and our passion for the public land and the place.
Speaker 6: And thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy to do it, and good luck. We appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Now, here's a transition we didn't rework after a little edit to our script.
Speaker 3: Hold hold on here, I'll help you out. And I guess that's why they called it fake news. There's an Elton John throwing something about like the pe tape or pizza Gate, and then you know, you got yourself a drop right there.
Speaker 5: Oh that's good, Phil.
Speaker 3: That's how the magic happens right here in this chair. And you guys got to witness it live.
Speaker 2: That's great. That's that's a uh. That's an example of someone adapting and and and you know, making it work in the show. But I'm going to read a transition that has not been reworked. Speaking of our new show, Meat Eater, ros Corey, why don't you walk down the hallway to the kitchen and see what's cooking. Oh great idea, Randall, are making me hungry with all that chatter about Meat Eater Roast walking down the hall.
Speaker 3: And I just want to I don't want to under under state how how this is like a first time experience. People are getting to see the behind the scenes Meat Eater headquarters right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who's that Yanni juggling.
Speaker 9: Johnny? What's cooking? Well, I'm just tenderizing these avocados.
Speaker 1: In case they have to use these for a for a part of their meal today.
Speaker 9: Uh what do you? May just explain what Media Roast is doing here.
Speaker 1: It's Meat Eater's new competition cooking show where we have two ordinary wild game cooks, which up to this point have all been meet your employees, and not just the ones that you expect to be good wild game cooks. You've got folks like carin in here, Maggie. How well maybe you would expect it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take that cool?
Speaker 4: All right? Annie?
Speaker 9: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: What do you mean you have the challenge or the mystery that makes their competition. Well, we have two people, which makes the competition. But every episode there's a protein or a chunk of meat that is unknown to the contestants until the moment that I reveal it, and uh like right here in this uh cast iron, mini Dutch of and whatever they call these, just what meat is for a episode we're gonna film today, So I'm gonna reveal it to the contestants and then they're gonna have ninety minutes to cook me and the two.
Speaker 9: Judges that were here, which one of them is gonna be Maggie Huddler.
Speaker 1: We also have the most famous butcher I know, and the foreman that you're judging today, and they're gonna have ninety minutes to cook us up something delicious.
Speaker 9: That means the.
Speaker 1: Best part about this show, this is episode number four with filming today, is that we've come to see that.
Speaker 9: Wild game cooking is not that hard.
Speaker 1: Everybody that's that's participates as far as we've ped up some amazing stuff in an elimited amount of time, not knowing what they had to work with when they started, So the energy level is high or digging producing it with us, So I'm hoping that the viewers are going to like it too. Any questions Corey or from the next door I can just walk over there too, if you guys want to talk to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Johnest, I wonder if you're a little overconfident there in your assessment that the show is demonstrating that wild game cooking is not that hard. I will be joining you there in about an hour, and I'll be taking the helm at that stove, so I wouldn't really count your chickens before they hatch, as the old proverb goes, I think I might set a new standard for incompetence.
Speaker 1: A difficult chunk of game me for you too. You're not going to have. I'm not giving you like an ELF ten you're going to work with, So put your thinking cap on.
Speaker 9: Randall late, Oh you hear that from Max? No, you're in an hour, You're late.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, well we better wrap this sucker up then. Anything you like to add Chili, Yeah, you know, really rooting for you, Randall and the other contention as well. But h who should not.
Speaker 5: Be named Chilly, just wants to make sure you keep the kitchen clean while you're working.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Chili's going a great job remodeling this kitchen.
Speaker 9: Check out some beautiful.
Speaker 2: Artwork that's our new art gallery for those of you watching, Well, which way this way? Sam, there's the brains behind the whole and the creative the creative engine behind it all. Sam might just say hi to folks instead of hiding behind the.
Speaker 4: Lovely There's some real interesting stuff on that shelf behind Sam too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, what are some interesting ingredients that these folks have to work?
Speaker 1: She's attracted to the craziest stuff that is available in the outdoors, and so she really wanted to use the python oil. I can't remember who said this to Steve, but unfortunately or fortunately you look at it, it's rancid. So if you see this in an upcoming episode, you will know that that's the person that used it.
Speaker 9: Lost really wanted to use it, but it did.
Speaker 4: Not smell good.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we got grizzly.
Speaker 1: Bear fast, which we did use some grizzly bear grease the other day, and I wish I knew the story on how they legally obtained it. Maybe they got it from Alaska, I guess. But it was actually very delicious. Oh then the Maggie anchorin the other day used bison garum was It basically tasted like an extra rich soy sauce, like like mega umami.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm really curious how that was made. I would love to learn how to make garum It was delicious.
Speaker 1: We also, if you've never seen this exotic pasta from Italy called Penny Penny.
Speaker 2: I thought the e was silent, just pean.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's randall elbow macaroni, also from Italy.
Speaker 2: Got any wonderbread any ketchup?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, yeah, buddy, we have we have like a crush shell.
Speaker 11: We have a crush shell for those that that can't get it done with, you know, from scratch. You can use catch up, wonderbread, that sort of stuff, and I'll be happy.
Speaker 1: To eat it, but it's probably gonna cost you a little bit of in the creativity.
Speaker 9: Uh point.
Speaker 2: You don't know what I'm gonna do with it yet.
Speaker 1: I don't, I don't, but I feel like that stuff's a little bit of a crutch.
Speaker 9: It's a little bit of an easy button.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I'm gonna see what I get for my uh mystery ingredient today and we'll just proceed from there. How's that sound.
Speaker 9: We'll see it these folks.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: Now Randall has teased me with the prospect of a meat smoothie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I've been told there's a blender and if all else fails can't nail the texture on the uh on the hot pan, it's they're going in there take it through a straw.
Speaker 4: I hope I'm not drinking my meal today.
Speaker 2: You very well might be.
Speaker 4: Phil.
Speaker 2: What do we got for some listener feedback here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because this reminder now is a good time to submit some questions for the crew to day Maggie, Brody and Randall. Yeah, this one was just funny to me. When you were looking at the tv raandl someone said, why does Randal always look like he's trying to remember his AOL password? Which that's just that's just a funny. That's just a funny joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 3: Ryan.
Speaker 2: I am really bad with passwords, so this is I usually I don't know what I look like when I'm trying to think of I think.
Speaker 5: You're just making sure you're saying what you're supposed to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, that's true. You know, just trying to stick to the script.
Speaker 5: Speaking before you think and get you in trouble.
Speaker 2: We like to have a nice clean show here.
Speaker 3: On that note, and I'm trusting you guys right now. I'm putting a lot of faith in in in you for not spoiling what's coming up next week. But Wang Gonzalez asks, if Randall wins the trivia tournament, are we going to see some suck at Randall stickers to replace the sucket Brody stickers.
Speaker 5: I we'll have to come up with something better and suck.
Speaker 2: It from the man himself.
Speaker 5: You heard it here that one's copyrighted to me.
Speaker 3: This is something that I'm curious about. Maybe it'll be a short answer. But Brendan asks. He says, hey, guys, y'all have any issues with lower turkey numbers due to predation. My turkey flocks that I've hunted for years got decimated by coyotes over the winter. I don't know where you are, Brendan, but if you're still in the chat, you want to let us know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's like very location dependent. I feel like I would say out here, numbers are are more influenced by the severity of winters and whether turkey flocks have access to this Some people might not like hearing this, but where turkey flocks out here have access to cattle pastures in the winter, they're going to do a lot better. They like getting down in that cattle pasture and pecking through the cow poop and where they can do that, they do pretty good. But we had a old winter well along stratch of cold, so it's yet to be seen what's going on with turkey numbers in Montana. I can't speak to anywhere.
Speaker 3: Brent Brendan says he's in New Jersey by the way.
Speaker 5: M Yeah, I mean predation is certainly a problem, like a net nest predation. I think you probably uh, raccoons are doing as much damage as coyotes.
Speaker 2: This this might be a question to uh Caitlin for share with our next guest.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, she knows a lot about Turkey's coyotes.
Speaker 3: She's smiling in the waiting room. I hope that's a good sign. Good good in the woods, asks Maggie. What's the crat craziest article you've written for me here? And I'll extend to like maybe maybe your favorite or something you're you're the most proud of that people should check out to.
Speaker 4: I wrote one about seafood fraud a few years ago. I think it was titled something like hog bunk of the sea because people will actually use hog bunk and slice it up as calamari and sell it as calamari. And there's like other instances of you know, like Chile and sea bass. It's I forget what it was actually called. It's like, uh something toothfish, and it's just like this renaming rebranding. Selling seafood is something that it maybe isn't just to market it to the consumer, which is really interesting because people still consume it and buy it.
Speaker 2: And that name really took hold after it was served for launch at Jurassic Park headquarters, just fictional island where Jurassic Park was. Philly got anything else from the check?
Speaker 3: Does Randall like skyline Chili?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I love it so much. I love so much, Austin, Do you have any send it to me? I just made some. I just made some fake skyline a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 5: Maybe you'll be making some in half an hour I could, Yeah, yeah, in a blender.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 4: Do you put beans in skyline Chili?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, you can add you can add beans.
Speaker 4: Beans and noodles. Seems weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so, typically it's served in a number of ways. You have a three way, which is chili. It's it's spaghetti, chili and cheese. And then you can have a four way where you either add chopped onions or beans chopped five way where you add both, or you serve them on a coney hot dog, little mini.
Speaker 4: Hot dog, hot dog with noodles.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, you could, but that's typically not the traditional way. Bee Dawson. I could go on for hours about Skyline Chili. I love it. Also a gold Star man, but Skyline really is probably my number one.
Speaker 3: A question from mogor Uh. He says he finished the new audiobook this week, the one that you made with Steve. He really enjoyed it. Congratulations. His question is how much research was needed for the project. And I guess, like you could say that in terms of months, or books or hours.
Speaker 2: I'll just say that that's my full time job. Trivia and podcasts and radio live are just sort of the icing on top, but none of that is in my job description. It's a full time job. I don't really know where to start with number of books, but yeah, we probably worked on that for oh, I guess maybe seven months for the first draft, and then rewrote a bit and then recorded it probably nine months out from when we started, So it's like a year long life cycle basically between getting it started and then the launch and promotion and everything.
Speaker 5: You're already researching the next one, aren't.
Speaker 2: You, in the spare time that I have. Yes, we've got another one coming out on the Buffalo Hide Hunters, which is kind of a subject near and dear to Steve's heart. So that's that's been a fun one to get started.
Speaker 3: There was a question regarding your crossword puzzle scores, Rano that we haven't gotten an update in a while, but then Spencer, our very own Spencer new Heart, responded that Randall scores are posted at the top of every crossword puzzle. If you go look at any of them, you'll see his score in the first sentence. Do you know what that means?
Speaker 2: Probably in the little lead in instructions thing. Yeah, So when Spencer puts together a crossword every week, he and Logan who plugs it into the website, give me that link in advance. You take it first, and I take it first, so then everybody can. And this week, let me just point out here that this week I scored a three ninety five with a record time of a minute and thirty four seconds. Pretty proud of that one, Thanks Spencer.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: Crosswords are an part of my job that aren't in my job description.
Speaker 4: Curious that is because you have a superhuman ability to get them done in that amount of time.
Speaker 2: I just don't have much else.
Speaker 3: Let's do one more on the heels. Let's do one more on the heels of the Meat Eater behind the scenes HQ. Yeah, this is kind of a big question for everyone, but Michael asks, what's your favorite part of working at Meat Eater? That could be anything from crossword puzzles to researching mountain men for months.
Speaker 2: Who wants to start?
Speaker 5: My favorite part is turning in a finished manuscript. The rest of it is isn't necessarily that fun, but man, when you're like, holy shit, we're done, like that's a good feeling.
Speaker 4: That's got to be satisfying.
Speaker 2: Yep, Maggie, I would.
Speaker 4: Say, just like the content that we get to work with day in and day out is really great and fun, and we like everyone that we work with is a fantastic person Like, it's just a really great community here.
Speaker 5: I didn't think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, interrupted, I just couldn't help myself.
Speaker 4: No, every and every time I come into the office, I'm reminded of like all the good folks that work here. So that's it's nice, you don't You don't always get that, so I try not to take it for granted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would probably echo some variation of that. I enjoy coming into the office and just having fun all day long.
Speaker 5: Like today, all you're doing is having fun all day long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just make a couple of stupid jokes and act like a buffoon. You know, A lot of jobs require you to maintain some level of professionalism, and I like that I can just be a weirdo.
Speaker 3: I'll second that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let it, let it shine, just let it fly.
Speaker 3: Cool. Well, let's keep sending those questions in. We'll do one more round of those at the end of the seas.
Speaker 2: Those are some good ones. Thank you. Joining us on the line is Wild Turkey researcher and fur trapper Caitlin lo Spinoso, or as some of you may know her better on social media as old Trapper Kate. Caitlin. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 10: Hi, how are you.
Speaker 2: We're doing great? How are you?
Speaker 10: I'm good mentally? Oh no, but you know we'll get there.
Speaker 2: Good, good, Well, Caitlin tell us a little bit. Uh, you are a wildlife researcher and a fur trapper, and anybody who's following along on social media knows that you've been rather busy lately with your trapping season. Can you just give us a quick overview of of your trapping season, kind of what when that starts, when that ends, and how hard you go?
Speaker 8: Yes, So it's been a crazy season. Land trapping wrapped up here. The season closed on Friday, so I've been taken this week for some R and R, just kind of relaxing before I start setting for Biaber.
Speaker 10: We have another month of water trapping coming up here.
Speaker 8: So I had a great land trapping season, targeting bobcats and coyotes. I'm trapping all on public land, so I can't run a huge line. I probably average about twelve sets at any given time and just run those as I can while I'm working. And I did fantastic on bobcats. There was a record year. I doubled my goal. I was hoping I would get four. I got a nice, amazingly spotted, just beautiful cats. Yeah, that was actually my my last hurrah. Last week on them, I I doubled up and that spotted one was just a beautiful tom.
Speaker 10: But yeah, I got nine.
Speaker 8: Coyotes as well, and it was it was a grind this season.
Speaker 10: I really really enjoyed it, had a great time.
Speaker 2: Very cool. How did you get into trapping, if you don't mind us asking.
Speaker 10: Yeah, very non traditionally.
Speaker 8: I didn't have any history of trapping in my family. I didn't know any trappers. I just it was totally not on my radar. But I love the grind. I taught myself how to hunt in public land. I taught myself how to bass fish like a pro. I just always loved having some kind of really complex problem to solve in the outdoors. And I found myself in that kind of dead space between deer season and Turkey season, just really trying to find something I could go hard on and really get into. And I had the hardest time figuring out what that could be until I went into undergrad and I had a wildlife management course where trapping was discussed as a method for both research and harvest, and it kind of got my wheels turning. And I actually remembered the Wyoming beaver trapping episode that that was in I think season six of Meat Eater where Steve snared one and it just clicked like instantly.
Speaker 10: I was like, that's the next step, that's it.
Speaker 4: I can do that.
Speaker 8: And I had tons of beaver in the creek bottom that I was hunting on public, so I went in there. It took me two days, got my first beaver, and it just snowballed from there.
Speaker 10: I was. I was hooked, and now now I'm I'm doing.
Speaker 8: Everything that I possibly can coyote, bobcat, raccoon, possum, skunk, beaver, hopefully otter I'll get back into.
Speaker 10: There's not many here where I'm at here in Kansas now.
Speaker 2: But these pillows here that are on the screen, those you set those in for the auction house of otities, if I recall.
Speaker 8: So, not those ones in the picture there's there's a photo of me holding to those are the ones that I sent in. But yeah, I started so when I started trapping and I started out with beaver, I was getting all these you know, beautiful pelts and looking at the fur market obviously dried fur. It's been talked about a lot like the fur market was just in the tank. Beaver's come up a little bit with the with the.
Speaker 10: Western hat craze.
Speaker 8: But at the time, I was trying to figure out, how can I use this fur in in kind of a unique way that I'm going to be able to turn more of a profit than I would if I just sold the dried pelts to a fur buyer. And I started thinking about, like, how can I make it a novelty? And the first thing I thought it was like, man, these are these would make like a.
Speaker 10: Really awesome throw pillow.
Speaker 8: So I just took, you know, I took the beaver that I got that first season, I tandemed myself and and I just got to making them into into pillows and selling them on just through Facebook, and they were selling really well. So then I thought, you know what about Etsy if I really got a store going and sold you know, Wallhannger pelts and you know, different fur items that I could make myself. And yeah, just kind of went from there. And those the ones that I donated when I made them. I really loved that pair was this beautiful, dark kind of chocolate beaver pelts and they matched perfectly, and and I was just sitting there like fixing them up, and I was going to the Meat Eater Live show that night actually when I finished them, and I was.
Speaker 10: Like, I wonder, I wonder if they would take.
Speaker 8: This for the auction house because I was like, that would be a really cool thing to see. You know how much these could get for the for the cause? And yeah, message Spencer and he was like, yeah, we'll take them. Heck yeah, And I was. I was super worried that they weren't gonna do much in the in the auction but they they actually did really well, so that was awesome.
Speaker 2: Do you remember what they sold for you got that?
Speaker 8: I think it was eight hundred and five if I remember, Oh nice, yeah, And I mean they were a beautiful set, and I like, I I was going to keep them for myself. I was like, oh, like if this can go to to raising some money for the cause, and obviously that's just like a super cool thing.
Speaker 2: To do, so very cool. We appreciate it very much.
Speaker 4: What do you typically sell a beaver throw pillow for?
Speaker 8: So I had been selling them, uh for depending on the size, probably eighty two one hundred eighty depending because I would make some like really little tiny ones that are like like just a cute little thing to have, and then I had some that were like eighteen twenty inches that would be and depending on the backing that I put on them, Like if I just did a basic kind of corduroy backing, obviously that's much cheaper. Some of them I did swayed, which is which is a lot. Yeah, Spencer does confirmed eight hundred five.
Speaker 10: Yeah I did.
Speaker 8: I did swayed on those, so it was really those were a really nice set. But yeah, I've done I've done double sided for which is going to be the most expensive. But yeah, the backing material adds adds a that's a big variation.
Speaker 10: The value and then the side.
Speaker 4: Sure did you already know how to sew or did you learn that as well?
Speaker 2: As same question if that's another thing you just figured out for something to do.
Speaker 8: I learned to make the pillows, you know. I was like, the idea for a pillow came into my head.
Speaker 10: And I was like, I don't know how.
Speaker 8: To stitch like a pillow cover, and so I, yeah, I learned that on the fly, and uh, it's it's so much fun. It's just you know, another another thing to keep me engaged with it and do something more with that with that fur. It really it it makes me very happy to you know, make as much back on that harvest, like make that harvest as meaningful as possible and get as much use as it out of it as I can.
Speaker 10: So yeah, I really enjoy that part.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 4: It's impressive.
Speaker 2: So how are the critters in your neck the woods doing this year? What are your takeaways from the season as far as hair and hides and the health of the health of the populations.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so they've been They were really really healthy. Started the year.
Speaker 8: The coyotes were as about as fatty as I've seen them and super primed up.
Speaker 10: They stayed prime all the way through the end of the season.
Speaker 8: On Friday, I think, you know, obviously it was just talked about we had a really hard winner. The last couple winners have been kind of mild to where getting into February they would already have some rubs and and just losing.
Speaker 10: Those guard hairs.
Speaker 8: But this season they were they were primed like I have not seen since I've been here. This is my third season trapping here, so they're they were just fantastic.
Speaker 10: I was. I was over the moon with it, especially like.
Speaker 8: Friday, I picked up my last coyote of the season and she I was expecting her to have rubs and stuff, but she was still super prime. So this this is not a I mean, Kansas, it's not you know, a top tier first date usually. But the animals that I pulled this year were very very well, doing very well, very cool. Yeah, they had some I saw some crazy injuries, which I sent in a picture of one that that coyote that I pulled on Friday, she was super big, healthy. You wouldn't have thought that anything was wrong with her. And when I got to skinning her got down to her face and I hit metal and I was like, oh gosh, right around her eye, I hit metal, So I like pull the skin back and there's a broadhead sticking out of her eye socket. Wow.
Speaker 10: She was just gnarly.
Speaker 8: It was just when I got in there and started digging around, it was just sitting under her eyeball Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you could not tell that anything was wrong. She had like a little lump under her eye that was healed over, scabbed over, And when I got to skinning, I hit metal and I could not figure out what it was and had to clean it up before I could see that it was a broadhead. But yeah, you wouldn't have known her. Her one eye was like up a little higher than the other because it was resting on the broad head. But the eye wasn't punctured like she was. She was doing great. So yeah, pretty crazy stuff. They're they're tough and they they made it through very well this year despite the harch weather.
Speaker 4: So oh yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for joining us. I know you've got to rest up before you kick off your your spring beaver trapping, so appreciate the update and we will check in with you again here soon.
Speaker 10: Yeah, sounds good. Thank you, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Our next segment is Meat Eater Movie Club. Thank you. Phil Jean Jacques Anoud's nineteen eighty eight feature The Bear offers a mesmerizing glimpse into the wilderness through the eyes of its ersine protagonists. This largely dialogue free film follows an orphaned cub who forms an unlikely dare I say, unnatural bond with an adult male grizzly while fleeing human hunters in the Canadian wilderness. The arc of the film, though simple, carries surprising emotional weight. We witness terror, playfulness, curiosity, and tenderness through the bear's experiences. In my own reading of the film, the human hunters or portrayed not as unredeemable killers, but as yet another species on the landscape, prisoners of their own nature, which adds a layer of moral complexity to the tale. But all else, the Bear is a noteworthy technical achievement in the underappreciated genre of animal movies, anod somehow elicits authentic performances from real bears, only rivaled in my mind by the profound work of Sam the orangutan in as the title character in the nineteen ninety six comedy Dunstan checks In. The Bear manages to create moments of genuine emotion without excessively anthropomorphizing its subjects, although I think we might have some discussion on that later. I did add the qualifier excessively. The film stunning cinematography captures both the brutal reality and sublime grandeur of nature as it is red in Tooth and Claw. Most remarkable is the film's successful execution of what can only be described as the peculiar artistic vision of its French director. Ant had long been fascinated by nonverbal communication and specifically sought to make an animal the lead character in a psychological drama, a revolutionary concept that challenged conventional Hollywood wisdom. He boldly inverts the traditional literary conflict type of man versus beast, placing humans as the antagonists rather than the protagonist. Whereas films like The Gray Parentheses Media to Radio Live Episode two position large conivores as an existential threat to human survival, and those like The Edge Fanentheses Media to Radio Live Episode fifteen employ them to heighten familiar conflicts rooted in the human experience, The Bear elevates animal consciousness to the narrative center. This radical perspective shift forces viewers to confront uncomfortable questions about our fundamental relationship with wildlife and our place within nature's hierarchy. The Bear is a unique cinematic experience, particularly after a few glasses of wine. It's a testament to the power of filmmaking that transcends language barriers to speak directly to our primal understanding of survival, family, and the wilderness. Phil I appreciate your screen grab there. Now, what do the critics say? Roger Ebert gave this film three out of four stars and had this to say about the dialogue of the hunters quote. Their words are not meant to be language, but simply the sounds made by the animal named man. And I have a couple of quick facts for you here. It's based on a nineteen sixteen called The Grizzly King. Brody characterized it as a book written by a repentant French.
Speaker 5: Guilman guil Frenchman.
Speaker 2: It was filmed over nineteen weeks in the Dolomites in Italy with three actors, twenty three bears, and lots of other critters. They had to teach this bear how to fish because he had been living in captivity in Utah and didn't have experience with fishing, so they hired a guy to come on set every day and release a fish into the pond. But the bear was initially afraid of the fish. And then this is my final note here. This one might go on a little bit. One day during production, Bart the bear injured a nod while the two posed for photographers. A Nod's wounds, which included claw marks on his back, had to be drained with a shunt for two months. Then I happened to find this quote from an interview. I believe it's translated from the original French. So I'll do my best. I was a very good friend of Zibert. One days, the photographer had to make the use you a picture of the director and z star this film. I had to show that my star was huge, so I stood on a little mound. Of course, all that protected me was a flimsy fence. So I went into his part his domain. I was standing, but he was so high I could not see his head. To make it even more apparent, I decided to squat. I always carry my viewfinder, you know, I took it like this. He had never seen my viewfinder. I immediately understood that I did something wrong. Ooh la la. He didn't add that I did. He leaned down with his mouth open. That means you're not my friend. I knew what to do. I decided to go limp bin.
Speaker 5: A great German accent.
Speaker 2: I really tried not to make this German brand.
Speaker 3: It's really good. You're you're kind of towing the line. I'd say it's more French than German, though I'm giving you credit.
Speaker 2: He stroked me on the shoulder and I went six seven meters down. I heard his mouth go ek ek ek eck. His trainer says okay, good boy, good boy. Clearly he too wanted to kill the director. The stench was incredible. I felt he missed an opportunity and crab. I felt that this was my mistake. Very Fortunately, I had read the book called Bear Attacks, and they explains that the only survivors.
Speaker 3: Of a bear attack now it's very German, were.
Speaker 2: Those who were playing dead. Apparently that was the only time I was a good actor that's German, when I was playing dead, so I trusted that I was dead. The last two months of shooting. I had to go to the hospital every morning and evening after the shoot, as I was seriously wounded. Otherwise I should be in a wheelchair today. The very touching thing is that for the z rest of the shoot, Bear never met my eyes again. Each time I was moving on Z set, he looked away like a dog feeling guilty.
Speaker 4: Well done, Randall.
Speaker 2: So I just thought that was too good not to share. And we couldn't play the video because it's in French, so.
Speaker 5: Well you could have translated in that voice.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think of the movie?
Speaker 5: Here? Big Picture to have a hard time calling it a movie. I think it's propaganda at best.
Speaker 4: Answer, finest sleep.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like nature good Man, bad, Hunting worse and uh. Like we were talking about Roger Ebert's Uh. Roger Ebert's review, that man, who was a very respected movie critic when he was still alive, said like part of his review is like it gives you a glimpse into how bears live, which tells you, like how much that guy knows about like how bears live. Like, I would add more respect for this movie if it was a Disney channel or a Disney movie where the bears talked and they had the funny raccoon sidekick that followed him around, Like it would have been better if it was done that.
Speaker 4: Way, right, I would have more respect for this movie if they didn't use a monkey and a child the noises that the cub makes, because if you haven't watched the bear the entire time, the cub is just.
Speaker 2: Like making these So that.
Speaker 4: I looked it up, it was either a monkey or a child making those noises.
Speaker 2: In my notes here, right between the note that says, oh, this is too sad and the note that says steep ass country, I have a note that says this bear is giving off strong monkey vibes.
Speaker 4: So monkey or child, so they.
Speaker 2: Couldn't just set the noises were bad.
Speaker 4: The noises were bad. I think it like the cinematography in the movie is beautiful.
Speaker 3: And it's it's really striking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like this movie looks looks incredible, like the Dolomites. It's it's really cool. And I think if they just had like music, like a good score, I think it would be a lot more powerful than these horrid whimpering.
Speaker 3: It's something else. The bear either that. The fully work overall is kind of rough. There's the very beginning when the mom is cleaning off her cub with her tongue and it sounds like a human being slurping jelly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, Phil, For for those of us who aren't in showbiz, folly is a.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, fully. A fully artist is someone who records sounds after the movie is shot, basically fake sounds. Not I mean the sounds aren't fake, but.
Speaker 5: Something you have a lot of experience with.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I not just at meat Eater, but for for TV shows I worked. I worked on Mountain Men on the History Channel and all those footsteps you hear through the snow are my footsteps walking through snow. That's fully something after the fact, and then plug it in in the I.
Speaker 2: Think the moments like that are my favorite part of it.
Speaker 5: I think this movie should have ended with the folly of that male grizzly crunching that cub skull. That's like, that's how it would have ended in real life.
Speaker 4: Yet not the cub licking the bullet wound.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that was.
Speaker 2: My least favorite part of it. Was just the dynamic between the cub and the bore. But otherwise there were a lot of times where if I wasn't paying attention to what was coming out of the speakers, I was just like, man, I'm looking at some bears doing bear stuff in beautiful country.
Speaker 4: But the bear acting was really impressive, and apparently Bart the bear almost got an oscar for not killing the cub like that specifically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I there's also a there's a whole book about how they made this, and there's also a fifty minute documentary on YouTube of behind the scenes footage and it's ship I skimmed through it, and you get to see the trainers trying to stimulate the bears into making different faces and then sort of leading them around, through their through their steps on the scene, you get to see the lion.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: I think Bart the bear was better in Legends of the Fall when he rips up. Brad Pitt agreed.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally. But I think one of the things that bothered me the most. I mean, my notes are just chaos.
Speaker 10: Same.
Speaker 5: Were you just watching a movie with a coldie in your hand writing stuff down? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, it was not a movie that I felt I had to pay particularly close attention to. But when he's cleaning the gun and there's not it's like this beautiful gun and he's got the action open and there's not like a drop of grease.
Speaker 9: On it anywhere.
Speaker 2: There's no grime or grid anywhere. That was the thing that just jumped out to me the most.
Speaker 5: You appreciated that, or you felt it was it.
Speaker 2: Was unrealistic for that guy, the way that guy looked. I don't think his gun was as clean as it was.
Speaker 4: I don't think you would have had that pretty of a gun either. I think this was like French director wanting to have this like, yeah, he's a bear hunter, he has a bear gun. As this pile of dead bears that the cub lays on, you know, like, but I did think it was a really cool gun. Yeah, And I looked it up and apparently it's Tom. Is this man's name Tom? I'm assuming you didn't pick that up in.
Speaker 2: The no French reading the Wikipedia.
Speaker 4: Same, So this is Tom and that's a Winchester eighteen sixty six Yellow Boy rifle, which is a very cool name for a very cool gun. I believe it was forty four rim fire.
Speaker 5: Not one you'd want to be shooting a grizzly with.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly when you know the one. The other note I have.
Speaker 4: When he cuts the tips of the bullets.
Speaker 2: When he shoots, No, when he shoots the bear and he goes, the guy goes, oh, you spooked him, And I was just saying that you usually don't. If someone shoots something in the front half and there's a big, gaping wound, you usually don't call it spooked. Right You hit it, Yeah, you hit it, and probably greenviously wounded it. But spooked was the the word choice of the the screenwriter there.
Speaker 4: So, and then the bear goes on to kill a mule, yeah, like seriously, and you're a horse and then leave.
Speaker 2: I wrote here.
Speaker 3: Also like how the guy said my gun jam after. I don't know how that affected it.
Speaker 2: I wrote, uh, I wrote horse wounds are wild because they did have a lot of animal blood in this film.
Speaker 4: On the dog guts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what about the sex scene?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, there was there speaking of animal noises. There did not need to be that level of grunting. It was unnecessary.
Speaker 5: It's like a regular old movie with a sex scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the kid just watching with a.
Speaker 5: Kid watching, Yeah, that that.
Speaker 2: You can't do that if humans are your protagonists.
Speaker 5: No, you can't. You can't.
Speaker 2: So would you recommend this film?
Speaker 5: It's so hard for me. Like when Mike boys were younger, they would have watched it and probably enjoyed it, but I wouldn't have been able to watch it with them because I'd just been like, that's not right, that's not yeah, that's not right. That would never So, I mean, it's a it like has its moments, I guess, but no.
Speaker 4: Look when I was like ten years old, when I was a child, I watched Old Yeller on repeat. That was like my go to movie.
Speaker 5: That's some real shit there.
Speaker 4: That is some real shit. But I also enjoyed, Like do you guys ever see Wild America.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Marky Stove, Yeah was that his name?
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, with really really awful animatronic bears. But like I loved that as a kid.
Speaker 5: Isn't that the guy had got in trouble for like for Raisin Bears.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for like staging Wildlife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if this movie is ninety seven minutes long, there's probably fifty minutes of it that I could clip out and just play on repeat with a different sound. And I just glance over at the monitor every now and then when I'm watching an NBA game and they go to a TV timeout and I could just watch the bears kind of moving across the landscape.
Speaker 4: I would have been this would have been my jam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Randall, you said that you watched a little behind the scenes documentary and saw some kind of wild stuff. Yes, like what, I'm sorry, Well, I just suggest you, like like there's some scenes where they use puppets or how they were kind of like they had the bears chained up, so they did use.
Speaker 2: Like puppet or animatronic bears for some of the fighting scenes, but otherwise it's just real bears.
Speaker 4: And yeah, they were in the dream scenes.
Speaker 2: In the dream scenes, Yeah, when he eats, the Mario mushrooms, the Super Mario mushrooms and just goes wild. That reminded me of the time that I went to Chuck E Chee. When I went to Chuck E Cheese and I was much too old to go to Chuck E Cheese and the animatronic animals kind of pop out of the wall and there's purple lights flashing around.
Speaker 5: Age uncomfortable, horrible.
Speaker 2: Flashbacks to that, But yeah, they they I mean to move the animals around. They had chains on them, and they would kind of like walk them on the rocks, like across the river, and like you could see them sort of setting the bear on that piece of wood that he floats down on. It was pretty weird stuff, pretty weird stuff, but also interesting. I think that brings us the end of Meat Eater Movie Club. Another flawlessly executed segment until I dropped Phil's little prompt there at the end. But I think it turned out all right. Phil, what's the chat saying?
Speaker 3: Well, there was a funny little conversation that happened. Canadian Hunter asked us, now that you no longer have an internate, are you looking for a new Internnate? I'm assuming Canadian hunter's name is Nate. And then our very own internate Pipe piped in and said, intern isn't a title, it's a way of life. Wants an internate, always an internate, and then Spencer said, get back to work, Nate. I just thought that was funny. Jack's fishing asks that his kids or her kids love Meat Eater trivia? Is there any more coming up soon? There will be more Meat Eater Kids episodes this summer. We are currently in pre production on those sighting, so stay tuned. And honestly, that was pretty much the only question we got between the.
Speaker 5: Last No reactions to the movie.
Speaker 3: A lot of a lot of reactions. I don't know. I don't know if a lot of people watched watch the movie, so they didn't have a lot to say, but they had a lot of a lot of comments, mostly suggesting new movies like Leland suggested the legacy of a White til Yeah, there's been a lot of hundreds of beavers suggestions and that's a that's a newer movie, so that might be kind of fun to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is one that's on the list. Corey has been helping us curate our selections.
Speaker 3: So jess A cow Guys said that Brody was the only one old enough to see it by himself. It isn't true. This movie came out in nineteen eighty eight. I Randall was alive. I believe, I.
Speaker 2: Bet I was two years old.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's just like ben like it's people are still wi like it's been around.
Speaker 4: It's on Amazon, yeah right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very accessible for those of you with an Internet connection.
Speaker 5: Like people think they can hit me with those age jokes and I'm telling you it doesn't. Just like it just doesn't matter. Give up, Brody.
Speaker 3: Also, Spencer pulled a guy and another good one and wished you a very happy birthday today, Brody, Happy birthday, Brody?
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 3: Spencer wished you a happy birthday in the chat? You have a lot of happy birthday messages from people, so I just thought i'd extend that to hear.
Speaker 4: I didn't fall for it this time, Spencer.
Speaker 5: I'm not following Spencer.
Speaker 3: Spencer everything about once every once a month, Spencer wishes happy birthday to someone in the chat, and it's when it's not their birthday, and he gets a kick out of it.
Speaker 5: And I'm glad he.
Speaker 3: Brody doesn't I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Well gang. Before we go, Brody's got a special call to action for you folks out there.
Speaker 5: Yes, Surrey, for the twenty twenty six calendar, we are doing another e fed Up Old calendar this year. It is going to be efed up old trucks, which you should interpret as e fed up old hunting rigs. So we'll be taking submissions kids, if you're listening, close your ears. The email to submit photos of your fucked up old hunting truck is fucked Up Old Trucks at the meat eater dot com. We are this year the calendar, we're going to donate a portion of the sales to back huntry hunters and anglers so they can keep on fighting these attacks on public lands. So that that's like, that reason alone is why you should buy the calendar. But they'll be they'll end up being some really cool photos of old trucks and and we'll sort through them. We'll get a bunch of them, hopefully. Then we're gonna have run a little contest for the fans where they can hop on the website and choose, will narrow down the selection to whatever fifty or one hundred that we like, and then then our fans can hop on the web page and vote, and those the ones that that get the most votes will end up in the calendar.
Speaker 3: And this is an example of a fucked up old truck, and you can tell that it's actually in pretty good shape, but it's got a lot of character.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's yea an example to chop down suburban I believe if you would like an insane conversation about the parameters of this prompt, please listen to Monday's Oh Yeah. Next, we're telling Steve and I how to make the calendar that Steve and I are making that great.
Speaker 2: I wasn't telling you make the calendar. Well, gang, it's been fun and we're running a little over time, So with that, I think we will bid you ado. Thanks for tuning in, and we'll see you here next week live for media to HQ. Signing off,