Speaker 1: The water in an ice cream Pala really, Oh yeah, it hits different folks, and that's how I took Pala.
Speaker 2: You sound like my baby who's starting to say car right now, but he's mad with like he's only good with one syllables.
Speaker 1: He's like, ca, yeah, Boston, your baby. Yeah, all right, we're going to get the Cali the Pali. He also calls me Pali for Pali. He calls me Pa.
Speaker 2: All right, Pa, all right, Pa, alright, twenty five dollar twenty five for you Pa.
Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, forty nine, Episode four of It's a production of by Heart Radio, and it's a podcast where we take a deep dive into America share consciousness. And it's Thursday, August first, twenty twenty four. It's August. Shit, get it you guys. Shit, it's already August.
Speaker 2: I told November to take their fucking time, and it's fucking August.
Speaker 1: Get your shit together, calendar. Well, August first is Respect for Parents'.
Speaker 3: Day, National Raspberry Cream Pie Day, Minority Donor Awareness Day, which is actually important, National Girlfriend's Day, and International Majong.
Speaker 2: Day for all of mine, people who played a rich day.
Speaker 1: Lots of different important things, specifically my girlfriend who you haven't met, but she is cool and lives in Canada.
Speaker 2: It's not about made up girlfriends from junior high. This is about I think friendship between okay girl friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, like the way that my mom talks about her friends as her girlfriends. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you remember hearing that the first time as a kid and you're like, dude, what, oh my god? Yeah, freak, I'm fucking I'm seven and I only know one definition that means romantic partner.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's I was like, wait, Auntie, I'm like, Auntie, Mutsie's your girlfriend. She's like, no, that's just shut up. Yeah, maybe he's just a girl that is my friend. Shout out Alicia Keys. Shout out Alicia Keys. My name is Jack O'Brien. AKA, hey, I just sat here. My name's j D. This glove is rubber, so fuck me. Maybe that one courtesy of the Great Christy I'm a Gucci Man on the discord a song sung two a Couch from JD Vance. I like the way he's kind of being coy in the way he's approaching the couch. Yeah. Maybe, yeah, I just this love is here and it's rubber. In case you think enough already with the jd Vance couch stuff. He seems like he might be leaning into it or I don't know, We're going to get into it a little bit later, but it does seem to be having an impact. He's certainly aware. Yeah, he's certainly aware. He might be trying to lean into it and just you know, in typical jd Vance fashion, doing it awkwardly and badly the wrong way. Yeah, but yeah, But anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 4: Miles Gray, A kay, but I'm a beep. I'm a weird What the hell am I doing here? There ain't no couch.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Steaming Chuck on the discord. We are a weep and we are a weirdo, aren't we, folks? Steaming Chuck, thank you for that the stuff. What do you yeah, how do you.
Speaker 1: Think JD Vance's karaoke song selection changed over the course of you know, his from when he first came onto the national scene in twenty sixteen to now. You know, he's probably like all Toby Keith now, but I bet he was a creep back in the day, you know, he seemed like he had some self loathing going on. Anyways, Miles, Yes, we are thrilled, fortunate, blessed to be joined in our third seat by a very talented writer, stand up comedian, one of our favorite guests, co host of The Bechdel Cast, one of the great film podcasts. They also happen to have a master's degree in film. The most anagrammable name in the English language, so if you've been given their name in a jumble of out of order scrabble tiles, you might know them as lorn and d Titanic or nine tit Dracula or Latin dancer ut I. But to us, they will always be Caitlind.
Speaker 5: I'm back, Yes, you are you back?
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Oh my god, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh. Nothing's up, down up, suspiciously. Yeah, nothing's at that normal over here. Yeah, paid no attention when.
Speaker 1: You fucking leave me alone? Man, Next question, Urana, Yeah, yeah, what what's good? We were talking Titanic sequels before before the show started and were shocked. I was personally flabbergasted to find that these obscure Titanic sequels were films that you were familiar with. Well, are you really that shocked about that? Also taken up back, calling them Titanic sequels is a bit of a stretch because they're not sequels to James Cameron's Titanic nineteen ninety seven, for example, But they are. I mean, I guess if you're just looking at Titanic as a cinematic universe, which you could I do. So they're you know, they're in the lexicon, they're they're they're in the zeitgeist. Will But the first see, the first film that we're talking about, was called Titanic two, so that does make it seem that implied, but it's no, it's just that it's named after the ship featured in that movie, the ship, because it's a replica of the original Titanic. God damn, that just blew my mind. In in universe, it's.
Speaker 7: Titanic too, exactly. How about that? Amazing?
Speaker 1: And in universe they for whatever reason called it Titanic two, starring Leonardo DiCaprio in universe Billy Zane's Titanic two. By all right, Caitlin, we are going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners. A couple of the things that we're talking about on today's episode. We're going to get into the deep steaks, folks. That's the next big event, is the thing that a lot of people are speculating about. There are betting markets happening. So we just want to talk about the stakes and who Kamala is going to pick, and you know, who she should pick. We're going to talk about it, and maybe who she shouldn't. I don't know. We're going to check in with the weirdness. Yeah, the just how jd Vance is dealing with being the vice presidential candidate. Yeah, we need him cool, calm and collected. He's just yeah, you know, it is now officially the main story of the Trump campaign is like, Wow, that was a bad VP pick, and so he is not dealing super well with that. We'll talk about that. We'll talk about his childless cat lady.
Speaker 6: Thing right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, along with a lot of the country are child cats. Yeah, and fucked up. Not a good pick.
Speaker 7: We might talk about this Netflix interview show starring dead people that I have a lot of questions about. Basically, it's like we interview someone right before they die.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, that's like the production. That means, Yeah, that's like the thesis of the shows we present to you. The last interview somebody did before they die. That's pretty grim and how metal. How like the booking job. This has to be the hardest show. Like, how are you approaching people? How long does miss Lansbury have to live? Right, we'll check back in a couple of months. We were hoping. She was like right there.
Speaker 6: You know, you know those like in like retirement communities or nursing homes, there will be like a cat speaking of cats. Yes, they'll like sense that someone's about to die, and then they like go into their room and like wait for a couple of hours. Maybe they like follow the cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then yeah, a little bit of yeah.
Speaker 6: And they're like, oh, they went into this person's room, let's interview them, and then like an hour later they die.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like that. I like that. Yeah, I mean that's and if they did that that would be compelling. That would be really good TV. Yeah, So anyways, we'll talk about that the cat of death. We follow the cat through an old folks home and interview the person they think will die. All of that plenty more. But first Kitlyn. We do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 6: Okay? So I googled Heaven's Gate Old, yes, because because I was like, I let me just tell you the story. Let me back up a minute ago.
Speaker 1: I bet you're wondering how Caitlin got to the search history record scratch. There was a duop.
Speaker 2: Group on every street court, So where do we start this one?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 1: Sorry, so no, I love that search history story.
Speaker 6: Wow, I love that Deadpool is a verb.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: I was watching the movie The Fabulous Four, which is in theaters currently. If you're not familiar, it is basically book Club, except Susan Sarandon is in at this time in Staph Jane Fonda. It's four older women going on a vacation. So it's it's that genre of movie which I'm usually not very interested in, but I was like, maybe I should just like give it a shot. Whatever, So I want to go see it. It's horrible and all of the jokes fell flat for me, and yeah, I imagine that. Yeah, the writing was not good. And they keep referring to this retirement community called Heaven's Gate that like this one woman's daughter's urging her to like go to even though it like nothing would indicate that she would need to do that at this juncture in her life. But she's like super religious and she's like, mom, you should go to this. The daughter is who's urging her to go, and so she's like, go to this like Christian retirement community. It's called Heaven's Gate, and you like see the broke sure and all this stuff, and so they keep talking about it, and it's so it's clearly setting up a joke that it's like, no, it's a cult. It haven't you heard of the cult? But they never make that joke. So I was like, am I imagining things? And so like in the middle of the theater, which I was in basically not exactly by myself, but I was far enough back that I was like, I feel okay about.
Speaker 1: You could have heard that the flap top and it would have been okay, right, So.
Speaker 6: I pull up my phone. I was like, Heaven's Skate is a cult, right, Like why wouldn't they like make this connection, make this joke. Sure enough, it is a cult, it's correct.
Speaker 2: So you thought they were like fucking with your sense of reality because they weren't paying off this reference to heav Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was like, well, maybe it's called something else. Maybe I'm confusing it with another thing, Like yeah, so that's how much this movie was trying to gaslight me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Looks by the way, like, yeah, truly have the tracksuits right?
Speaker 1: The tracksuits with they had to stop making What were the nikes? Were they? They?
Speaker 2: They they looked like a Cortes but there but it's not a Cortes. It's they're called decades Okay, Yeah, and they I'm pretty sure they stopped making them because everyone was rocked. They're like, we don't need this endorsement for the sneaker. Yeah, total dad chew.
Speaker 7: So it's probably a studio note, like they had a joke in there, and then the studio was like, this is a little bleak for people, for an audience we're aiming for who is about to die.
Speaker 2: But did the heavens like did they ever go to the retirement home? And it had culty vibes, so it felt like.
Speaker 6: Okay, doesn't end up being like a plot point or anything, but they are talking about it enough and the movie is attempting to be a comedy, so you would think that they would work that joke in there, right, but they just don't do it. Yeah, just check out something.
Speaker 1: But you could make the same joke and do like Heaven's waiting room or Heaven's lobby or you know what I mean, like something where it's like you're about to the pearly Gates because you but you can't. You may not call it Heaven's Gate without us expecting you to eventually talk about Marshall apple White, the cult leader who got everybody that killed themselves after castrating himself. I remember, they're going to catch you right on hillbop, Yeah, hell bop. Like they had such rich lore, like it was really a fun world building.
Speaker 2: Man, Maybe they could have taken a note from the cult and did the little fucking world building.
Speaker 1: Than seriously, right man? Anyways, the Fabulous Four? Is that what we're calling what the film was that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, not to be confused with The Fantastic Four.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, did you watch speaking of those like sort of like late in life comedies, did you watch the one about Tom Brady.
Speaker 6: Eighty for Brady?
Speaker 1: I did not see that one, okay, because that feels like sort of firmly in this genre.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, and Jane Fonda is in most of these movies, so it's kind of wild that you.
Speaker 7: Could against fabulous. I'm fabulous for anything. It's fucked up, it is fucked up. I do feel like eighty for Brady did pretty well and became a like thing that people reference in the culture and the culture of very old people. And the studio note was like, we need to put like a number in the title for this next one, you know what I mean. Like, I feel like that I'm seeing a lot of studio fingerprints all over this one, right right, Yeah, feels feels cynical to me. It doesn't feel like real art. The working title was an ornie for tom just maybe dial that back a little bit.
Speaker 1: Let's dial it back. What, Caitlyn, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 6: So imagine this. All of my things are movie related. Something I think is if you want to see a movie about an old person that's really good and fun, go check out Thelma. And I say that it's like, I feel like I put it in the underrated category just because, like I think a lot of people haven't seen it or aren't talking about it. It's a movie about an old woman. She's like ninety one or something played by someone whose name I should already know.
Speaker 1: June Squib Yes, oh joom squib.
Speaker 5: I m j Yeah, and it's about It's like she gets kind of duped by a phone scammer and then decides she's gonna get her money back, so she goes on this like quest to get her money back, and there's like a lot of mission impossible, like spy espionage type.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was super fun and highly recommend people go see Thelma.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, and uh, the late Richard Tree is also in it.
Speaker 6: Did he recently die?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah rip, Yeah, this is getting incredible reviews. June squib one of our finest. June Squib was like kind of not discovered late, like she was a working actor, but like is having her big breakthrough kind of later in the Squibs Squibs. Yes, we were all living through the Squibbistance. Yes, I love that. What else has June squib been in my Internet? Has stopped working for anything except this?
Speaker 2: I remember she was definitely in Hubie Halloween because she was Hubie's mom.
Speaker 1: Okay and hub Halloween. I remember that part we can stop it, Hue that was what her fine work in uh Nebraska? Yeah? What was she in about Schmidt? She was yes, okay, yeah, yeah. I think that was like one of her early roles. But she wasn't an animal Kingdom, was she? I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't think, Yeah, the most unsatisfying it. I'm not gonna look it up. But if you feel strongly about it, I won't push back.
Speaker 1: Sure, go with it. What is something, Caitlin you think is overrated?
Speaker 6: Another movie?
Speaker 1: Long Legs, Long Legs.
Speaker 6: Sorry, everyone, but.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, back to back Long Legs takes on the show this week?
Speaker 6: Oh wait what what? What else was saying?
Speaker 1: Yesterday's guests were like it just check it out.
Speaker 2: It's fine, it's fun. Don't look into it too much. If you like horror, great watch it.
Speaker 1: Boom.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like sort of like a like a full endorsement like this is the greatest thing. It's like, but yeah, it's fun, it's just watch it.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think it is worth the watch for some of the things.
Speaker 1: And don't got ajust, you got your own do you know your own opinion? Is it fucking bullshit?
Speaker 6: I thought it was really good until about the midpoint, and then it lost me, but I thought, I mean, it's an effective horror thriller. I was, I was feeling on edge the tensions there, but I think it gets really goofy world building wise about halfway through and then it completely lost me. So it was I was just trying to do too much. So I feel like it didn't live up to the hype.
Speaker 7: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just remember I felt like everyone was like, oh I saw it, more than like, oh, it's the best movie I've seen. Like, I felt like a lot of people were just like yeah, I saw it, and it.
Speaker 1: Was like, yeah, it was cool. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I guess now like when the early reviews were coming out, you were I was like hearing things like I ship.
Speaker 1: My pants, get ready ship your pants. I know how to move to change them. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Part of the marketing was the lead actor, whose name I also don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Nicholas Yep, forgotten. I got this one, this one Micah Monroe.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, there was this clip of her approaching Nicholas Cage's character for the first time in the scene like she hadn't seen him in his makeup like in character until she was like as long as long legs. And also my letterboxed review for this movie was like, his legs weren't even that.
Speaker 1: Long, misleading. It does play into your favorite format of film review about radioactive Yes, but he was named after a dang spider, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh but in the trailer, yeah, they are being like one hundred percent on rotten tomatos. They are definitely needing it to be like flawless Victory, And I would.
Speaker 6: Say that is incorrect in my humble, yet expert film opinion.
Speaker 7: Your victory long legs just fucked your whole ship up.
Speaker 1: It made you, made you ship in your pants and we're not paying for new pants. Guys being so mean to us wick at you you ship your pants and everybody himself? What what? Why are you? Are you so freddy? This is like already already horror film. Yeah, but I'll tell you one thing. It has long legs. At the box office, I had to say, still earning, still earning. It's neons top top film of all time.
Speaker 6: So oh okay, yeah, all right, good for well, I mean good for that for them, it's worth seeing. I just don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 6: It deserves quite all the hype that.
Speaker 1: Flawless score. Go watch Blake Wexler's stand up special daddy long legs and yeah, okay, yeah, how about that? Support local artists?
Speaker 7: How about that? Okay, you want to support local artists. You want to support long legs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to support long about a daddy is daddy too with long legs, not some NEPO baby named Nicholas.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, I'm gonna hear your uncles.
Speaker 8: Really making a scene on set to the nick. Oh did you read that report?
Speaker 2: I remember when we were first talking about Megalopolis and how he was like being fucking like he was touching women and trying to kiss them during like the block and all type scenes. Wait, yeah yeah yeah, And now like more reporting has come out to be like, yeah, I think a video is coming, he has sex grip gross, I'm just trying to get him in the mood.
Speaker 1: You're like, dude, this isn't sixty two, right, and that also wasn't appropriate. Yeah, yeah, but that's how we did things. You're like, yeah, well, you know we've moved along. He's like, dear lord, I sold a whole fingyard for this.
Speaker 7: All right, right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back talk about deep steaks, and we're back. We're back, and what's going on?
Speaker 1: So there's presidential's going on president you know, and while so.
Speaker 2: My question is call me Marvin Gay because I'm about to ask, what's what's going on? Exactly one of the great albums, flawless album actually.
Speaker 1: But the polls, look, here's what's going on. Just made you ship your whole love this. The polls look much better for Harris than Biden.
Speaker 2: There's that the numbers seem to show that she's closing the gap between her and Trump. She also had a pretty enthusiastic crowd in Atlanta on Tuesday night, like an actual arena, was like was filled with people that real hear yeah, that were real people that were cheering sincerely, and there was a speech that had full sentences and no meandering and no sundowning. So comparatively, I'm like, wow, this is they got something going here. So the vibes are up, but they can be destroyed just as quickly, since the VP pick is sort of the last step to cementing the ticket and so there's a lot of like, who's it going to be? Is a Jamie Pritzkers, Gretchen Whitmer, is it Secretary Pete Buotages, is it Governor Tim Waltz of Minnesota, Governor Joshapiro of Pennsylvania, or Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona.
Speaker 1: Those last three seemed to be the ones that the media is really.
Speaker 2: Kind of dialing in on, and they all offer different things to the camp PA, Like Waltz gets you a lot more young people and progressives, and he's got like a you know, a style of speaking to people that appeals to like, like from what they see like swing state voters.
Speaker 1: Mark Kelly has like border and immigration cred on top of being a yes and astronaut.
Speaker 2: And Shapiro has a sixty percent approval rating in one of the more important swing states that Harris needs to win the electoral college and one of the states that she's performed underperforming in that is I think they're looking at like, oh, that could help shore things up. And there's a lot of chatter now about Shapiro because it's sounds like Harris will be announcing her pick.
Speaker 1: Next week in Philadelphia, so a lot of people are like, oh, maybe the maybe.
Speaker 8: That means the governor of that state where you're gonna be announcing the pick.
Speaker 2: But apparently the aides have told the press like don't look into the location too much. It's just like just like a focal point to begin this tour of you know, some of the swing states that they need to hit. But this is all just on paper. So, you know, is Shapiro going to clinch it?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: If you look at the electoral college mac right, Pennsylvania has four more electoral college votes than Michigan and nine more than Wisconsin. So if Democrats win Pennsylvania those other two states, they can lose and still have a plausible electoral college victory path. The research, though, shows that VP picks seldom actually translate to any kind of advantage in terms of home state turnout and support. So while a lot of people seem to be applying the logic of Harris is down in Pennsylvania and Shapiro is popular there, so he should be the pick, so she wins Pennsylvania, there's no real merit to that argument, Like it's not really born out in the data that you see, like historically when it comes to presidential elections. So that's really like the only first tier argument I hear for him like that, you know, like that's the only I'm sure there are other are you like I guess the whole mainstream media is doing their thing where they're like she needs to tack even more to the center, okay, like to the right, and he is the probably forthest right person, but right it, I don't know. He seems polished in a way that I think doesn't work that well or doesn't like add much to because she's already fairly like polished in a way that I think some people find unappealing in like Democrats, and then like his politics seem to be the worst, and then the Yeah, the only positive argument I've heard is like beloved in Pennsylvania. Yeah, and they've been they I was watching MSNBC this morning, like they were talking to like potential Latino voters who are there, like I don't like. They were saying like I don't know, but I like Shapiro, so that might help me. And sure that's one person. But they were presenting it as if like, see that person said they're more interested if it is Shapiro. But again, this isn't something that's supported by data. And again, if you're trying to look more moderate, then yeah, Shapiro definitely helps with that because there are people like you know, there's like saying that Kamala Harris is like two left wing and are like folks, sure, but no, let's be real here. And like you said, his politics could definitely affect support among younger and progressives, younger voters and progressive voters because he's a staunch supporter of Israel, like he attacked like as attorney general, he was like coming after Ben and Jerry's because they're like, we actually don't want to like sell Ben and Jerry's in like illegal settlements.
Speaker 1: And he's like the BDS movement is out of control.
Speaker 2: He called student protesters who are protesting the genocide and goaza like white supremacists and compared them to the KKK.
Speaker 1: He's like, down for school about your stuff.
Speaker 2: It's not great policy at all. And I think Harris seems to understand, I guess somewhat. I mean, like when net and Yahoo was in town, she didn't meet with him. She had another engagement, but apparently was going to meet in private. So a lot of people are like, well, at least it sounds like visually she knows what how to not appear because of this very delicate situation considering the plight of Palestinian people at the moment, and that needs to be handled delicately, and I think especially now because if you look at the news recently, Net and Yahoo seems to be escalating things to a potential regional war, like there have been a Hamas like and other Iran proxy people who have been assassinated in the capitals of Lebanon and Iran.
Speaker 1: Okay, and getting.
Speaker 2: Further embroiled in armed conflict is the last thing I think most people. I mean, I think most people are like, what the fuck? What?
Speaker 1: What? What do you need to know?
Speaker 2: We don't want to fucking get involved in another war. So everyone's calculus isn't the same. But this is also why I think it's important for the Harris campaign to really begin articulating her policy positions on things like you know, Medicare for all or like pathways to citizenship Because while Mark Kelly gives you immigration cred because he's like in a border state, that might not play well with people who are a little bit disappointed to hear like what about pathways to citizenship? Like where we with that? What are these other things that are gonna really bring out more and more support?
Speaker 1: So is Kelly like tough on crime, border guy actually yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's a border hawk. Some might say fun.
Speaker 2: So that I think that's why there's all this kind of like what are we gonna do?
Speaker 1: Like who's going to be the best?
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I mean I feel like from what I've seen, Tim Waltz offers a lot. He seems pretty relatable. He's really popular in Minnesota too. But then other people were like, but he was the governor during the George Floyd stuff that was happening in twenty twenty, and like what can you do against those It's all everyone's got their reason to not or to support, but yeah, it's there's you know, the Democrats could make the right decision or one that doesn't seem to fracture the support, because right now it feels like people because Kamala isn't quite fully tied to Biden's policies, obviously she is by being vice president, like there is this honeymoon period where people can pretend like, I don't know, she might be completely different than what's happening right now, and so a VP pick may kind of reinforce the thing as like, oh, this is basically this is the Biden campaign all over again. Or is this something different to have a bigger coalition of voter support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So the mainstream media takes I've read, and this is gonna shock you guys a little bit if you've paid attention to the mainstream media ever over the past thirty years. They think she's gonna need to tax center on this one. No way, I know, righty. Their read on the situation is that her campaign fell apart in twenty twenty when she tried to embrace her twenty nineteen when she tried to embrace like left leaning policy positions, and of course by embrace we mean may hollow gestures and speeches without like having any ideologically coherent like you know, grasp and so almost feels like very centrist to me after all, to not actually embrace it but just like make gestures and not have actual ideological content in your platform. But I don't know she's.
Speaker 2: Got again, there's an opportunity to really firm up support by you know, having things that people want, policies that people want, and for all this like tack to the center. I'm like, the most Democrats and most of the people you're trying to appeel to want things like like universal health care right, want things like pathways for citizenship, want things like a ceasefire, and with what I mean, Nen, Yahoo's completely really change the playing field here, because like you're you're negotiating with Hamas for a ceasefire, but you're going after like you're assassinating they're the heads there, and like how do negotiations go forward in that instance? It feels like that it's really doesn't know, it's it can only go downhill from here. Yeah, so yeah, a lot can be a lot can change, but I can also like you know, we also see this habit constantly come out from Democrats, which is like don't yeah, don't too too much progress because it scares imaginary people that we made up to maintain the status quo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the political analysts and strategists are no fan of stack like sticking to or like going with a strong take on a policy that's popular because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I don't know how many people grown with a Tim Waltz VP pick right. People will start groaning about Josh Shapiro right just because you know, like his politics are all there for people to see and considering, like the how fractured Biden's support was over things like his support for Israel.
Speaker 1: Can she figure out a way because.
Speaker 2: Like again, like I said, the people, the vibes are good because people are still kind of like defining in their own mind what this campaign can be before it's actually articulating what those positions will be. So it's like it's definitely a very there's an opportunity to either do something that will really shore things up or cause more you know, finger pointing and disagreement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the content of the speech in Atlanta seemed to be playing from the playbook of like keep the focus on Trump and also like play defense on places there attacking me, like the border stuff. Like she specifically brought up the border thing, so I could see her going with Kelly because of that being a place where she feels like she needs to play defense. So the betting lines, by the way, like Shapiro and Kelly lay out in front plus one thirty seven for Shapiro, which means you bet one hundred dollars. If she picked Shapiro, you win one hundred and thirty seven. Kelly, you win one hundred and sixty two. Tim Wallt you win five hundred. So they're pretty they think that one's unlikely. Roy Cooper, you win fourteen hundred, those odds should go up. Now that he's dropped out of the race, he's taken his name out of contention. Andy Basheer is way back at eighteen hundred. So I don't know, I feel like it.
Speaker 7: You know, the betters seem to the thing and they are way out.
Speaker 1: In front on Shapiro and Kelly.
Speaker 7: So yeahs what like in the world of politics, what are.
Speaker 1: The VP success stories? Like, I feel like I only have VP like horror stories where it's Sarah Palin, it's jd Vance. I guess the success stories would be like Pence not totally fucking Trump's first campaign up and Biden like giving making old white people feel okay about Obama. But it's never like flashy, right, It's always like.
Speaker 2: And if you look at the people who the last VP picks from, like the the elections, we remember, they were all coming from states that weren't competitive at all, like Dick Cheney's from Wyoming. Yeah, like Pence is from Indiana, Kamala Harris is from California, So like, yeah, these aren't these aren't necessarily like because I think if it were, if it were that easy then everyone would be deploying this strategy to be like, what's the swing state we need to win, that's the VP pick. It's just like, while sometimes there are there are a few people who make the arguments that it does matter, but like people who've done deeper analysis on it, like now, the premise, the premise that these sort.
Speaker 1: Of research papers are based off over flawed, and yeah they can you remember Tim Kane, Yes, holy shit, what a strange energy that guy was working with exactly not what Hillary Clinton needed, but that felt like one where they were like we got a hold like shore up a battleground state, Virginia is important. And he was bilingual. There was that. I think that was a oh yeah, I didn't I didn't know that. Yeah, a lot of people like he speaks Spanish.
Speaker 6: Was that Hillary's VP pick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hilary yeah, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't remember this dude at all.
Speaker 1: He was very not memorable and just had this really weird energy where he would like, you know, say a thing and then like translate it into Spanish with but it was just like his facial facial energy. It was all like cheerleader, you know.
Speaker 7: It was like you know when a cheerleader has like a plastered smile where it's.
Speaker 1: Like I'm giving you enthusiasm all the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, but yeah, the thing was even then, I remember there were like poles that they're like even like Spanish speaking voters like that's okay, not like impressed, you know what I mean? Yeah, no, grass, yeah, because he was doing like speeches too, like like in Spanish, and we're like, yo, this ship is pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: But it just it wasn't enough. So again, it stands to reason that it can maybe do more potentially to hinder than to help. But I don't know. We have to see how JD. Evans plays out. That'll be an interesting test case.
Speaker 2: Because this is someone whose favorability keeps fucking going down sky right.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry, I guess I'm out of the loop on those I thought that couch thing was gonna really should we talk about JD? Because he continues to so it's he's become a major story for the Trump campaign. The fact that the narrative is now this has backfired. He is he was the wrong choice when you Google I googled has VP ever, and the Google auto complete has been replaced because a lot of people are thinking that on the Republican side, like how do we get out of this? So he had to come out and just calm everyone down and be like, look, we're good here. Yeah, I just I know it looks weird because they made up that line and every almost like that lie makes me see you in a new way. But I am secretly a riz god and get ready to be blown away and melt in my hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it's his He he gave a stump speech in Nevada, and it started off like fucking terribly, like just from the beginning of the speech. Let me just play it the fucking just the beginning of JD. Van's giving a speech, just so you understand where this guy, where he's coming from.
Speaker 1: They're excited. Now I have seen the consequences. Mike just went out.
Speaker 7: Now he's tapping the mic, still talking, he's talking, he's hand now doing a fake.
Speaker 2: Something about this Mike again, all dead air right now, and then it comes back up there it is.
Speaker 1: So that's how the speech fucking started, you know what I mean. Then he's got real like Ronda Santa's energy, where like when he's smiling, you're like he's gonna kill someone. Yeah, exactly, he is planning someone's demise. So again, his speaking ability is second to many. But listen, this is this is part of this is just again because he is a fantastic orator. This is this is him getting a little momentum in his speech. Do we want to defund the police? Do you wanted to do you want to ban fracking?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 9: Do we want a dangerous level liberal like Kamala Harris?
Speaker 1: What he's like doing a Kyle Mooney bit? Do I do a little bit more? Yeah, he's he's not. Again, he's not the smoothest. He's supposed to be the coherent anchor to Donald Trump's electric motor boat. That he has to is between sharker electrocution.
Speaker 8: You at a little baby belt Jesus wait, liberal, please, can I start over?
Speaker 1: Guys? My time out? Time out? You can't do a timeout during a live speech. Then listen to this one.
Speaker 2: This is where he's just trying to talk about, like you can thank Kamala Harrison Joe Biden for your high gas prices.
Speaker 1: This is how he lands the plane on this one. So when you fill up your pump, huh, when you fill.
Speaker 9: Up your tank at the gas station, maybe you should send a bill to Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: When you fill up your pump.
Speaker 7: He's just he's the everyman, you know, when you fill up your pump on your.
Speaker 2: Car tank, gas fill up tank at gas station.
Speaker 1: I would give Kamala bill. I don't know, time out defeated by the end of the sentence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's he's not again, the Grand Wizard of the KKK is not quite giving us the charisma that is needed to power this white supremacist campaign.
Speaker 1: Unfortune for them.
Speaker 2: But then the part that really got a lot of attention was again this guy.
Speaker 1: Everyone says you bang couches, and he says this, he's.
Speaker 2: Talking about people like people want, people want my wife to come up and say something.
Speaker 7: This is him talking about two big like stories that have been like circulating the mainstream media that have crossed over from memes to like the mainstream meter or like that he had that interview where he talked about his wife and seemed apologetic that she was a person of color. Yeah, and to like he was like, white supremacists don't like it, but I love it.
Speaker 1: I love her.
Speaker 7: And then the other one is the made up story that he fucks a couch but he just like has sluch couch fucking energy that it won't go away. And here's how he tries to kill two birds with one stone or.
Speaker 1: Or sideshow bob breakfest. Yes, he just another rake to the face. Let's see.
Speaker 9: Now I would call her up here to come and speak that. Then I think I'd have to sleep on the couch tonight.
Speaker 1: So alone, there's like groans in the audience.
Speaker 2: I know they're like, what, like, so you so you want to Cody Johnson retweeted that he's like, in fact, why don't I ever come up here? That actually sounds all right to me. Yeah, yeah, another night on the couch.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Again, he's not leaning into it like someone who has like a good command of irony and humor.
Speaker 1: Its just like it also comes off as like, dude, you did you know? Did you mean to do that? Yeah? Was he trying to be like maybe I can be self deprecating about this, But he did it in a way that like he bailed on the bit like immediately, And.
Speaker 6: So does it strike me as someone who has any like the capacity to have a sense of humor about himself or to like acknowledge So I'm like I think he just was like, Oh, my wife's always his wife is always curious with me, right, so I'm used to sleeping on the couch And he didn't even make the connection, which how embarrassing is that? That's my theory though.
Speaker 2: He and then on Wednesday he went to a diner. I didn't put this one in the dock, but he went to a diner and like with his wife and two kids, and he didn't even like introduce her to anyone, Like he just was like talking and like people were just like, oh, hi, nice to meet you the wife. Like in this he's like feigning family man stuff at this diner counter while his kids are drinking chocolate milk. And it's like, again very awkward. There's like video of like campaign aids like setting up the chocolate milk for like this photo op of like kids just enjoying chocolate milk. And then this is how this entire sequence interaction went at a diner.
Speaker 9: Oh right, here she's just sucked down a full day serving a chocolate milk.
Speaker 1: Here is this our bill here? Okay Roles right, yeah, okay, I'm paying for these with money. I got it actually, Yeah all right, now here's what we're gonna do. Thank you. All those are big sentindoles. Those are big He's so worried about he can't not start talking about nutrition the second he's around food, like she's just sucked.
Speaker 7: Down in days. We're serving worth of chocolate milk.
Speaker 1: Cool that you're gonna have a your your kids are gonna have a very normal relationship to food when you're like and she has taken her protocol of chocolate milk for the day.
Speaker 2: This is actually what he says after he references the chocolate milk again outside of the diner.
Speaker 1: So I'm doing great, man, I'm having a good time. My family's here. They're hopped up on chocolate milk. So it's gonna be a wild plane ride home. But look, we're we're having a great time and I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be a wild played rendhod because they're gonna ship the fun.
Speaker 1: We're gonna watch long legs, dude, They're gonna ship they're fucking little pants, dude, of those chocolate milks. He is so rotten, like he is so disanta's brained, like he is exactly run to say it, like all of his energy is like rond DeSantis. His relationship to food and sugar is run to say, like they they had him do we we covered this on a previous episode, but they had him do like a direct to camera like behind the scenes of the campaign. This is what's fuel in the campaign. It's junk food. I can't eat it or I'd explode, blow up like a tip. Yeah, Like it's just like God, what damn man? Like why you like couldn't leave that out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but these are also buddy if for some guy who's like again, he really rich. He showed his ass and he said, I'm drinking diet mountain dew, like, bro, just yeah, just elect yourself, let yourself rot on the inside like the rest of us, and drink the full blooded mountain dew and then coming after staple American foods like Lays and Snickers and be like, ah.
Speaker 1: I can't eat that garbage. That's for you.
Speaker 2: I'm an everyman anyway, So we're going to Peter Luger's after Anyway, my kids are in big trouble for all that chocolate milk they just conssumed.
Speaker 1: But soilent for them. I'm a man of the people. Yeah, it's it's a tough one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think also alongside just all of this, I do want to just touch on Jesse Waters too, because the weird stuff is still continuing to like rock their brains, like they don't know how to squirm out of this, and now Jesse Waters is just now coming up with like weird pseudoscience takes on why like you shouldn't vote for a woman and like why this whole thing's a sham or whatever this is. Jesse Waters on what this means to vote for a woman.
Speaker 10: Now, I don't see why any man would vote Democrat. It's not the party of virtue, security, it's not the party of strength. It's definitely not the party of family. And to be a man and then vote for a woman just because she's a woman is either childish, that person has mommy issues or they're just trying to be accepted by other women. And I heard the scientists say the other day that when a man votes for women, he actually transitions into a woman.
Speaker 7: Oh is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what the science's science.
Speaker 7: That's so is that one of the shows where he's with like Democrats or something, Yeah, token Democrats who are yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, and she's pretty.
Speaker 2: Good on the five is she Yeah, she actually typically like fires right back in a pretty Jessica Tarlov.
Speaker 1: Is the woman who goes on there to represent like liberals.
Speaker 2: But yeah, anyway, he managed to full transphobia into that fucking weird take of like shattered Masculinity's so fucking again weird.
Speaker 1: That's like weird. It's such a fifteen, like a fourteen year old thing to say.
Speaker 2: Like dude, don't pick the don't pick the girl character or you're the girl in the video game, Like what And that means what what are we saying?
Speaker 6: None of what he said made And also like no one's voting for her just because she's like men certainly aren't doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where's that? Yeah? Where is that group?
Speaker 2: I will only vote for a woman, that's my thing. Yeah, and I do that to impress other women, that's why.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because men are obsessed with getting the social approval of women famously.
Speaker 2: Right right right, So I live in such a utopia of of equality.
Speaker 1: It is. It is a narrative that I'm seeing a lot of places, like there's been this headline where it's like the gap, the gender gap, and how it defines this election more than any election ever, so I see what they're trying to do with the data to be like and that means you're not a man if you vote for Democrat.
Speaker 2: Well, because with younger people it's definitely going that way, Like younger men are like definitely ingesting more more and more like sexist, misogynistic type content that is sort of being more like into this like you know, trad wife ship, but also like but with women and like women identifying voters, they they're moving to the left. So there is this like gender divide with younger people for sure, but to the point where like you can just say, like, yo, dude, your peep is gonna fucking go poof if you fucking vote for Kamala.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know how you know.
Speaker 6: Affect scientists say?
Speaker 1: Is that which scientists doctor pepper them? Okay, okay, the scientists on YouTube are saying doctor Jordan Peterson, I ever heard of him? All right, let's take one more break and we'll be right back and we're back. And yeah. So Netflix has this new show to remake of a Danish show Downish called The Last Word, where you interview people when they're about to die and then once they are dead, you release the episode seems to be the idea, and now Netflix is going to do it to American nearly dead celebrities.
Speaker 2: I guess I I only know Okay, okay, I know Stephen Sondheim is.
Speaker 1: I know who Angela Lansbury is? Who's the screenshot of this already exists on the New York Times. The New York Times has a like segment called The Last Word where they interview like they do this already.
Speaker 2: So oh so the screencap I'm saying it's from the New York Times already doing this item already existing.
Speaker 1: Netflix is like, We're gonna go even bigger. The competition for nearly dead people interviews is going to be out of control. I see.
Speaker 2: I mean there's I get the interest in something like that because someone I remember having like very interesting conversations with like my older fan, like my older relatives as they were sort of on the brink of passing away and like the sort of clarity that sometimes people have. But yeah, okay, sure, I guess I need to see it to know, like, am I that.
Speaker 1: Interested in what Stephen Sondheim has to say? Or is he going to say something that's like truly.
Speaker 6: Are they going to say, do they say, like, here's what I regret not doing or doing so that people can be like, oh my god, right, I have to follow my dreams or.
Speaker 2: Like because like they're just you know, sort of at the end of their lives, like they just start saying shit they really believe the whole time, or we got to put all that on the cut and room floor. I've never even heard that slur before.
Speaker 1: Is that a word? Even? It's just like a really the the interviewer is like, so, spill bitch, what who did you really hate? Andrela Lansbury right right, what do you think Andrew Lloyd Weber Steven.
Speaker 6: That's good television? Actually that would be right right right?
Speaker 2: So on deaths door Step that's yeah, but not like these, Yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: I could see. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to think of who I'm really that interested in because it's also like, for I guess this also has no appeal to me generationally, like I when I'm in my sixties or seventies. Then if when it's like this, this is Jay Z on his deathbed or something.
Speaker 1: They like, what does Sean Carter have to say? Yeah? Yeah, it does seem like it's fairly. It's the elderly right there. I don't see a version of this where they're like getting people who are young and on death store right, But maybe, I mean that would be interesting if like we had the Chadwick Bozman like interview that rite or something like that.
Speaker 2: And I think, but for so many people, that's such a private thing, like you know, obviously you struggling with cancer privately and didn't tell people, so like, I think it probably makes more sense for people who are like, yes, I'm getting on in age, I don't mind doing this interview, and so I'm like, hey, we heard like you might be really sick, right, yeah, do you want to do an interview?
Speaker 1: Like I guess that the producing style. I'm curious producing like behind the scenes because they're you know, they're every news outlet has their oh bits that are on deck, you know, for very famous people who they think might die soon. But they they don't like reach out to the celebrity to be like, hey, could you fact check this oh bit for us real quick? Because we think you're about to die. So just reaching out to somebody and being like, hey, you're about to die, right and have them be like no feels like, I don't think someone how far along they are, come on, don't they don't? Honey?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's why they need this cat producer who just can sends people are going to die and they just then they blame everything on the cat.
Speaker 2: Right, easy, exactly exactly, that's smart to Yeah, I mean I'm really curious to know like who the who the episodes are going to be on before I can truly be like, oh that might be interesting, but yeah, I don't know. I've also, we live in a world controlled by people about to die.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, I can't do they have the Biden interview recorded already? You know, like that that would be the intriguing thing, is like the making of this show or you see the listening, like these people are all alive? Wait right they have presumably they have a bunch of shows banked with people who are still alive that we might not realize or like out to die. So like that they just need to make a website with all the names like interested list, and then like have already interviewed you know, Jimmy Carter? Is have they done the Jimmy Carter interview? Did they do the Henry Kissinger interview? Jimmy Carter is still fucking alive hanging around. Yeah, all right, Caitlin Dorante, what a pleasure having you on the daily Zite.
Speaker 6: Guys, gosh, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you and follow you and hear you.
Speaker 6: You can hear me on the Bachtel Cast. It's available on all the freaking platforms and podcasts listening places that I co host with Jamie Loftus. And we are doing a We're like introducing a screening of the movie Chicken Run in Los Angeles, So if you live in the area, come to the Los Felis three Theater. It's American Cinema Tech has is like sponsoring a Friend of the Fest podcast festival where they're having podcasters introduce screenings of movies. So we're doing Chicken Run. It's on August twenty fifth at four pm. Tickets for that are on the Bechtel Cast link tree, so link tree slash Bechtel Cast. And uh yeah, I'm pretty excited about that.
Speaker 1: Is that one of you?
Speaker 6: It's one of my faves. It's yeah, it's have you seen it?
Speaker 1: I saw when it came out. I mean that was just by the same people who may the sheep and yes and yeah, yeah, I don't know if I've seen Chicken Run specifically, I've seen a lot of their work.
Speaker 6: Well, come to the screening on August twenty fifth, bring your kids. It's a family friendly.
Speaker 1: That's a Sunday too.
Speaker 6: It's a Sunday exactly four pm. Not a reasonable hour anyway, So there's that, And you can follow me personally on Instagram at Caitlin Durante. And then I have some screenwriting classes that I'm teaching coming up in September, so I have my intro class, so if you're like brand new and fresh to screenwriting, that's the one for you. I also teach workshopping classes, so if you already have a bit of a background in writing for the screen and you're working on something and you want to bring it in and workshop it and get notes from your fellow students and from myself, you can take that class. And all of that is on my website Caitlindurante dot com slash classes.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, amazing. And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 6: I saw the movie DD a couple days ago, and I I'd recommend that it's a coming of age Story. It's technically a period piece because it's set in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my god, right, how did they remember?
Speaker 6: How did they do it? But yeah, it's very much in the vein of like eighth grade. If you enjoyed that movie, so I'd recommend dd I liked it quite a bit.
Speaker 1: D d I amazing Miles. Where can people find you as their work media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, find me on Twitter and Instagram at Miles of Gray. If you like basketball, I just saw that Anthony Davis got.
Speaker 1: Injured during the Team USA game.
Speaker 2: He did by as we record this on Wednesday, I'm a Laker fan in disarray at the moment. But if you want to hear us talk about the NBA and basketball in general, you can also find that on Miles and checkot mat Boosti's And if you want to hear me talk about ninety Day Fiance, that show is called for twenty Day Fiance.
Speaker 1: I'm just dealing with just seeing that trending on the Internet and I'm like, that's not good. I don't know what the extentive is of a one piece of media you didn't enjoy.
Speaker 2: Let's see a couple of tweets I like. One is from at kunt Fried. Rice tweeted my body is not a temple, It's a World trade center and every day is nine to eleven and at a Shikhupar tweeted, Hey guys, I'm.
Speaker 1: Hearing it's weird to approve arms shipments to Israel. Yeah. I think I think that is weird too. I think we need to look into that as well. Amazing.
Speaker 7: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien tweet I've been enjoying. Terran tweeted parentheses driving stones. Wow, this should not be legal. That was my.
Speaker 1: Experience of driving stones. Very scared.
Speaker 7: You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook hamdpage on a website where we link off to the episodes and our footnote no, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what is a song that you think.
Speaker 2: The people look I'm all about just having some nice vibrations because it's already August and I told fucking November to tickets.
Speaker 1: Sweet Time November.
Speaker 2: But this is a really dope track from this composer, Giuliano Sergini, who is like one of these like iconic sort of Italian composers who made a lot of move like like theme songs and scores for like Italian television.
Speaker 1: This track is.
Speaker 2: Called Lavoro cerebra l A v O r O c E r E b r A l E. And it's like, just got this, like you feel like it's you're the like it's the opening theme song for a movie about you and you're driving a convertible like in eighties Italy or something. It just feels like it's like feels good when you listen to it, You're like, I can't get stressed listen but having this playing right now, and so I extend this opportunity to you, the listener to check this track out by Giuliano Orgini Lavoro.
Speaker 7: All right, we will link off to that in the footnote. The Daily Zeitgeiser is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you're listening your favorite shows.
Speaker 1: That is gonna do it for us. This morning. We are back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to you all time.
Speaker 7: Bye bye bye